Subject: special access / umask problem ... continued

From: "Daniel Bissetsmith" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 19:47:40 -0400

> We have two distinct user communities ... our clients and our employees.
>defumask only applies when there is no upload clause.  
>(thought the Howto said that .. doesn't it?)
I misunderstood it

>Looks like you have an upload with a directory mode 
>parameter of 050 specified.
I'm kind of new to this. Which document would I read about changing the
directory mode parameter?

Our server must be set up to allow our employees to post, but not to be able
to retrieve the files once dropped on the server. They can delete the files.
These files should only be retrievable to the clients.
In the same manner, the clients have to be able to drop files, but not be
able to retrieve these files once dropped on the server. These files should
only be retrievable to the employees.

What we did was to compile two ftp deamons. The employee group drops the
files in the client class, and these files are 'owned' by the clients who
can then retrieve them. Likewise the clients drop files in the employee
class, meaning only employees can retrieve them.

This was working well, as I mentioned in a previous posting, until version
2.4.2 vr 18. At this time, the umask of the system no longer was carried
over to directory creation. Instead, the directory is owned by the wrong
class for us. 

This meant that when an employee created a file, it now is created owned by
the client, as the files are. The employee cannot change directory into the
directory he has just created. Likewise the client.

There must be a was we can do this bi-polar kind of arrangement just using
the ftp access. I've read the howto's and they don't seem to cover this kind
of senario. Suggestions?

Dan

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 09:15:05 -0400

On Mon, Aug 30, 1999 at 07:47:40PM -0400, Daniel Bissetsmith wrote:

> There must be a was we can do this bi-polar kind of arrangement just
> using the ftp access. I've read the howto's and they don't seem to cover
> this kind of senario. Suggestions?

RTFM.  The map page.  upload.configuration.HOWTO.

You need to be able to determine whather a user is an employee or not.
Require employees to be AT WORK when they are working, and use IP addresses
to classify them.  If you cannot use IP addresses to classify employees,
then wait for 2.6.0 (or use BeroFTPD in the interim) and use two IP
addresses for your server.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg              WU-FTPD Development Group
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195