Subject: Stupid Newbie #4000 question

From: "Sascha Vogt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 14:47:10 +0200

Hi Folks!

After a week I dedice to call for help.

My anonymous users cant 'dir', allthough 'ls' works. Since most users
are using W32 and something like WS_FTP or CuteFTP, they cant see
anything. But a user using a commandline driven ftp-client like in W95
can use 'ls' and it works, but he cant use 'dir' either.

All happens on a SuSe 2.0.36 (i586) with wu-ftpd.2.4.2.

I made a group ftpano and a user ftp in it.

Homedirectory of ftp is /usr/local/ftp, further I have following below
this directory:

~/bin/
~/etc/
~/msgs/
~/pub/

I download the static versions of ls, dir, compress and tar from GNU,
compiled and put them into ~/bin

In ~/etc I created a passwd and a group file like this:

#---passwd for ftp
anonymous:*:2000:4004:Anonymous FTP::
guest:*:2001:4004:Anonymous FTP::
ftp:*:2002:4004:Anonymous FTP::
#--- EOF passwd

#---group for ftp
ftpano:*:4004:ftp,guest,anonymous
#---EOF group

I chmod +rx -R ~

I changed the group of all files and directories begining with
/usr/local/ftp and below to ftpano. I know this is not the way to do
it, but I wanted to see if it helps.

One step further I changed the owner of all files and directories
begining with /usr/local/ftp to ftp. Same as above.

The symptom is still the same.

When a anonymous User logs in, he can type 'ls' and gets a list of
contents, when he types 'dir' he doesn't see anything, but still gets
the '226 Transfer complete.'-message, e.g. no error.

After searching and trying all man's faq's and how-to's I could get
hold of, I finaly see no other way than bothering you with my problem.
I am pretty sure it is just a little mistake I made which is an "Of
course you have to..." for the authors of the things I read.

Any hints?

Sascha

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 09:30:01 -0400

Read the FAQ and the Guest HOWTO refernced from it.

Online resources, including the latest version of the daemon, are available
through:
 
      http://www.wu-ftpd.org/

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg              WU-FTPD Development Group
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195