Subject: Throughput restrictions

From: "Nothinman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 21:42:08 -0400

I have a couple of questions about the throughput limiting implementation of
wu-ftpd. First off the way it appears to work to me so far is that when a
person logs on it checks where they're from (domain/IP addr) and limits them
accordingly. I have been doing it this way and it has been adequate for now,
but what I would like to do is:

A. Limit per class, instead of per address
B. One large b/w pool, instead of per instance of ftpd

What I mean is, lets say I have a class of users called ftp1, I would like
to limit them to 20K/s speeds. But instead of each logged in user getting
the limitation, the whole class gets limited and they share the 20K/s I
specified in the ftpaccess file.

Anyone have any thoughts on the idea?

"One World, One Web, One Program" - Microsoft Promotional Ad
"Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Fuhrer" - Adolf Hitler

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 22:06:29 -0400

On Fri, Aug 27, 1999 at 09:42:08PM -0400, Nothinman wrote:

> I have a couple of questions about the throughput limiting implementation
> of wu-ftpd. First off the way it appears to work to me so far is that
> when a person logs on it checks where they're from (domain/IP addr) and
> limits them accordingly. I have been doing it this way and it has been
> adequate for now, but what I would like to do is:
> 
> What I mean is, lets say I have a class of users called ftp1, I would
> like to limit them to 20K/s speeds. But instead of each logged in user
> getting the limitation, the whole class gets limited and they share the
> 20K/s I specified in the ftpaccess file.
> 

Don't hold your breath.  This is something which _might_ be doable in
version 3, if/when we get going on it.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg              WU-FTPD Development Group
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195