Subject: Revised query - diff. guest groups with diff access??

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 11:43:34 -0400

I asked how to set up 2 guest groups with diff. access, so one group could use
rename, and the other not. I got one useful response from Gregory Lundberg,
setting up different classes. Problem is, I neglected to mention that the
members of these groups come in from all over the country, so there's no
good way to isolate them based on IPs. Is there a way to assign members to
a class or group based on their userids??????

Thanks!

-- 
Judith Reed
[email-masked]
(315) 453-2912 x335

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 14:27:05 -0400

On Tue, Aug 31, 1999 at 11:43:34AM -0400, [email-masked] wrote:

> I asked how to set up 2 guest groups with diff. access, so one group
> could use rename, and the other not. I got one useful response from
> Gregory Lundberg, setting up different classes. Problem is, I neglected
> to mention that the members of these groups come in from all over the
> country, so there's no good way to isolate them based on IPs. Is there a
> way to assign members to a class or group based on their userids??????

Not in 2.5.0.  It's one of the things I've been thinking about for the
ftpaccess handling rewrite.  Since that's not ready, it won't be in 2.6.0
either.

So, I'd suggest using two IP addresses on the FTP server.  One for
employees and one for non-employees.  Using BeroFTPD or 2.6.0 you should be
able to use one daemon to serve both.  The issue then becomes which groups
are 'guest'.

To be honest, though, if I had a need for this myself, I'd hack the feature
in right now.  I don't, and I'm busy with other things on the daemon, so I
won't be able to do it for a while.  Now .. if YOU want to fiddle with C, I
can point you to the right area of the code and let you peek at what I've
been doning for the rewrite of the ftpaccess handlers.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg              WU-FTPD Development Group
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195