Subject: CNAMES or Multiple IPs?

From: Reinaldo Penno Filho <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 20:05:22 -0300 (EST)

All,

in the university that i study every departament will have its own
FTP server. There will be some 200-300 virtual FTP servers. whats the
best solution ? Unique IP addresses or CNAMES entries in the DNS zone
file, something like this..

www3.mydomain.net  IN   A   some.ip.address

;
; Aliases
;
ftp.otherdomain1.com   IN   CNAME     www3.mydomain.net.
ftp.otherdomain2.com   IN   CNAME     www3.mydomain.net.

and so forth..  

whats the pros and cons of the two schemes?

thanks in advance

Reinaldo

___________________________________
Federal University of Rio de Janeiro
Computer Science Department

___________________________________