Subject: wu-ftp error that started occuring a couple of days ago

From: "Cory Derrick" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 1999 14:56:45 CDT

Can someone please tell me what the following error might mean?

...<snip>... ftpd[4248]: getpeername (in.ftpd): Transport endpoint is not 
connected

I started getting this message a few days ago but it is only when a certain 
machine (a mainframe that has some automated procedure for trasfers a bunch 
of files) tries to connect. Other machines from the same location can ftp in 
and login w/out any problems. I haven't had any problems with this before 
until Sunday morning. Does anyone know what maybe causing this. It is fairly 
urgent to get that machine able to ftp in again.

TIA,

Cory Derrick

_______________________________________________________________
Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com

---

From: "Cory Derrick" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 1999 16:14:33 CDT

Disregard... I found the problem. Just as the error message says, it 
couldn't get the peer name. My ftp server couldn't get a name for the ip 
address that was trying to connect. I guess tcp_wrappers requires a reverse 
name lookup before allowing a connection. Since it couldn't resolve the ip 
address, it denied the connection. I added the ip address and hostname in my 
hosts file and it worked.

- Cory Derrick

>From: "Cory Derrick" <[email-masked]>
>Reply-To: [email-masked]
>To: [email-masked]
>Subject: wu-ftp error that started occuring a couple of days ago
>Date: Wed, 04 Aug 1999 14:56:45 CDT
>