Subject: Re: New to this list.

From: James McMahon <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 14:16:48 +1000

Hi Todd, 

Welcome to the list.

Firstly, I should point out that wu-ftpd 2.4.2 is a *very* old version
which has a number of security holes.  I would highly recommend that you
upgrade to wu-ftpd 2.5.0 as soon as possible.

Now, assuming that you upgrade to wu-ftpd 2.5.0, accomplishing what you
wish is a relatively simple task.  There is a document that is included in
the wu-ftpd 2.5.0 distribution entitled upload.configuration.HOWTO which
covers this and other issues in great depth.  I would suggest that you have
a read of this, and if you have any further problems, get back to the list.

The current version of wu-ftpd is available from the following locations:

ftp://ftp.wu-ftpd.org/pub/wu-ftpd/wu-ftpd-current.tar.[gz,Z]

Good luck,

James

Todd Routhier - Muchoweb Webhosting wrote:
> 
> Hello all,
>     I have a question..
> Running:
> Redhat 6.0
> WU-FTPD 2.4.2
> 
> I am trying to configure the server so users can log in and they will be
> chrooted to there home directory and be stuck there, I don't want them to
> be able to move out of this directory not even in read only mode. So I
> added the line:
> 
> guestgroup    ftpusers
> 
>  THen I make everyone that I want to use FTP a member of the group
> ftpusers. I then go into the /etc/passwd file and modify each line so they
> chroot properly. All seems to work fine when i log in with a users id, the
> directory they see is / and they seem to have been placed in there home
> directory, they seem to be able to write an overwrite to teh directory fine
> but I can't get a directory listing AT ALL. I tried moving a copy of ls to
> the users home directory but that did not work. LS works fine via ftp until
> I set up this guestgroup and chroot stuff. I have read all teh docs and
> FAQs I can find and have banged my head in all teh newsgroups trying to
> find an answer but I am still stuck. I am pretty new to Linux as well as
> WU-Ftpd so please provide detailed answers if possible.
> 
>        Thanks for your help in advance.
> 
>    Todd Routhier
>  - att1.htm
> 
>   ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
>                Name: att1.htm
>    att1.htm    Type: Hypertext Markup Language (text/html)
>            Encoding: quoted-printable

-- 
**************************************************************************
*     James McMahon                  *     When all else fails ...       *
*     Secure Gateway Environment     *     Read the destructions.        *
*     [email-masked]          *             -- (unknown)          *
**************************************************************************