Subject: mac clients ls hangs

From: brd <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 22:14:04 -0500

Hi all,

I'm turning to this list as a last resort, so I hope it's not an 
inappropriate topic.  I'm trying to connect to a friend's redhat box 
running wu-ftpd 2.5.0, using a macintosh and various ftp clients (fetch 
3.0.3, websynch, anararchie).  At seemingly random times, my mac client 
will hang when getting a file listing.  I get the entire list of files, 
but the client just hangs, until I hit abort or it times out eventually.  
It happens randomly, and not always on the same directory.  Sometimes, a 
dir will list, then the next time it won't.  

I've used my same setup and software, and I can connect to my isp's ftp 
server (wu 2.4.2 acad 18) fine with no problems, so I don't think it's 
me.  However, I don't really know what the problem is server-side, to 
fix.  I couldn't find the answer in the faq or the mailing list archive.  
We compiled a static ls and put it in ~ftpd/bin, but it didn't help.  All 
my dirs and the parent dir of my $HOME have read and execute permissions. 
 Also, a command line ftp works fine, of course.

Any ideas?  Thanks in advance,
Brian
[email-masked]

The third millenium begins January 1, 2001.