Subject: "226 Closing data connection" appears too early

From: Andreas Zierott <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 1999 09:39:17 +0200

(Seems the list processor doesn't like me. Ok, once again...)

I've got a request by a customer. He complains that, when retrieving
large files, the reply "226 Closing data connection" appears long before
the transfer really completed. The customer remarks, that he has tested
it on different servers, but only on our server the problem happens.

We are using BeroFTPD-1.3.4. Can someone agree, that this problem
exists? Is it a bug (or perhaps a feature)? Or do I have to look
elsewhere?

BTW: What's going on with BeroFTPD, long nothing heard about it? Will
all it's features (especially improved virtual servers) be implemented
in WU-FTPD 2.6.0 or will it live on?

Thanx,
Andreas

--
Andreas Zierott
Deutscher Wetterdienst, Kaiserleistr 42, 63067 Offenbach/Main,  Germany
Tel: +49 69 80622250,Fax: +49 69 80622801,eMail: [email-masked]

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 14:43:02 -0400

> it on different servers, but only on our server the problem happens.

Your customer has lame client.  And I wonder which other daemons they
tested against.

That said, yes, the WU-FTPD daemon (and, therefore BeroFTPD) sends the 2xx
message immedeately after closing, and does not wait for the data socket to
close down.

One of the changes I've submitted for 2.6.0 (at the request of another user
in the field) is to force the daemon to wait until the data connection is
closed before sending the 2xx message.

I'm currently testing this change on ftp.wu-ftpd.org.  It seems to be
working about 99% of the time.  The problem I'm seeing is that sometimes
the daemon isn't timing out .. so I guess I'll be doing a little tweaking
in a bit.

> We are using BeroFTPD-1.3.4. Can someone agree, that this problem exists?
> Is it a bug (or perhaps a feature)? Or do I have to look elsewhere?

It's a (true) bug in the client which is tickled by a bug (oversight) in
the daemon.

> BTW: What's going on with BeroFTPD, long nothing heard about it? Will all
> it's features (especially improved virtual servers) be implemented in
> WU-FTPD 2.6.0 or will it live on?

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg              WU-FTPD Development Group
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195