Subject: Another question...

From: "Ron Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 00:54:15 -0600

Hi Gregory,
 
 I was looking through my partitions for 'wu-ftp*' and the only thing I found,
next to the files I've downloaded, was a directory
'/usr/doc/wu-ftpd-2.4.2vr17' with no executables.  My inetd.conf shows one
line for ftp as follows:
 
 ftp  stream  tcp  nowait  root  /usr/sbin/tcpd  in.ftpd -l -a
 
 but no reference to wu-ftpd.
 
 I am confused I guess, because I don't know how to tell what ftpd I am using.
I thought it was wf-ftpd but now I just don't know.  If I install the
wu-ftpd-2.4* package and I'm not running wu-ftpd, won't that cause access
problems?
 
 What steps would you recommend I take at this point to get 2.5 installed and
running?
 
 Thanks for your help...
 
 Ron Smith
Boise, Idaho

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 12:13:24 -0400

On Sat, Aug 28, 1999 at 12:54:15AM -0600, Ron Smith wrote:

>  I was looking through my partitions for 'wu-ftp*' and the only thing I
>  found, next to the files I've downloaded, was a directory
>  '/usr/doc/wu-ftpd-2.4.2vr17' with no executables.  My inetd.conf shows
>  one line for ftp as follows:
>  

wu-ftpd usually installs as the same name as the original ftp daemon for
your system.  that's because the original concept was to be a dropin
replacement.

connect to the server.  the greeting (usually) will tell you the version.
If it doesn't you're probably running wu-ftpd, but you can check by logging
in and issuing
  quote stat
the status report will always have the version number

btw, your inetd.conf is an example of a improperly formatted line.  you're
using tcp wrappers, so you need in.ftpd stated TWICE:

ftp stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/tcpd in.ftpd in.ftpd -l -a

>  What steps would you recommend I take at this point to get 2.5 installed and

download 2.5.0 and the patches, patch and build fresh.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg              WU-FTPD Development Group
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195

---

From: "Ron Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 13:53:26 -0600

Hi Gregory,

> wu-ftpd usually installs as the same name as the
> original ftp daemon for your system.  that's because
> the original concept was to be a dropin replacement.

That's good information.  Thanks.

> connect to the server.  the greeting (usually) will tell
> you the version.  If it doesn't you're probably running
> wu-ftpd, but you can check by logging in and issuing
> quote stat

Both worked great!  Thanks again.

> you're using tcp wrappers, so you need in.ftpd stated
> TWICE:

Ok, I understand adding it twice - but why?  I don't understand what tcp
wrappers are or a working knowledge of what in.ftpd is or how it basically
works.  Could you, at your leasure, expand on them?

> download 2.5.0 and the patches, patch and build fresh.

Will do.  I downloaded 2.5.0 after our first e-mail exchange and will go get
the patches today.

Thanks again for your expert assistance.  I particularly appreciate your
ability to explain things so I can understand them.

Have a supper weekend my friend...

Ron

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 01:00:53 -0400

On Sat, Aug 28, 1999 at 01:53:26PM -0600, Ron Smith wrote:

> wrappers are or a working knowledge of what in.ftpd is or how it
> basically works.  Could you, at your leasure, expand on them?

You only _appear_ to be giving the name twice.  Actually, the first
parameter is the name of the FILE.  The second is the name by which you
want the program to _think_ it was called.

This can be important to programs like Sendmail which behave differently
depending upon the name the program _thinks_ it was executed as.

In C programming terms: the first argument to TCPwrappers is the name of
the executable file.  The following arguments are the argv strings to be
passed to the programs.  The first argv value (argv[0] to the C program) is
the name under which the program _thinks_ it was executed and is required.

So your command line said, "Run in.ftpd, but let the program think it is
named '-L' and pass it the parameter '-a'."

You never noticed the -L wasn't working and your ftpaccess file was being
used because the '-a' was still being passed in.

If you'd have done the options the other way arround, you'd have posted a
question (see the FAQ), "I have -a on the command line and the daemon isn't
using my ftpaccess file.  What's wrong?"

--