Subject: port theft?

From: "Patrick O'Malley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 20:26:09 -0400

I'm running wu-ftpd 2.5 on a RedHat Linux 5.2 (kernel 2.0.36) server.
  My problem is with tunnelling ftp over ssh. After making the
connection and authenticating to the ftp server, it replies with:
possible port theft cannot open data connection.
  This did not happen with version 2.4.

  Any ideas?

  Thanks,

  Patrick O'Malley

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 08:29:07 -0400

On Thu, Aug 12, 1999 at 08:26:09PM -0400, Patrick O'Malley wrote:

> I'm running wu-ftpd 2.5 on a RedHat Linux 5.2 (kernel 2.0.36) server.  My
> problem is with tunnelling ftp over ssh. After making the connection and
> authenticating to the ftp server, it replies with: possible port theft
> cannot open data connection.  This did not happen with version 2.4.

No, but 2.4 is so insecure that having your data stolen is the least of
your problems.

I have a testing version of the changes which will be in 2.6.0 to support
sites like yours.  Email me directly and I'll forward a copy so you ca
'test' it.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg              WU-FTPD Development Group
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195