Subject: FTPconversions More help needed

From: Mukund Rajyaguru <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 1999 09:26:16 +0100

Hello
    I am trying to setup a guest login that can send a tar file and be able
to untar it to the directory they are in.
    1) can this be done
    2) if it can how

I have checked the /www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd site with no luck. Any further
ideas.

I am new to ftp adminstration so any help would be useful.

Regards
Mukund Rajyaguru (Unix Support Techincian)

Phone: 0121 500 2537
Fax:   0121 500 2553

E-Mail: [email-masked]

Regards
Mukund Rajyaguru (Senior Unix Support Techincian)

Phone: 0121 500 2537
Fax:   0121 500 2553

E-Mail: [email-masked]

Parceline Web Page: www.parceline.co.uk

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1999 09:11:07 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 1 Jul 1999, Mukund Rajyaguru wrote:

> I am trying to setup a guest login that can send a tar file and be
> able to untar it to the directory they are in.
>     1) can this be done
>     2) if it can how
> 
> I have checked the /www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd site with no luck. Any
> further ideas.

You can have the daemon take an entire directory, tar it, optionally
compress or gzip it, and sent the result to the remote users.  TO set this
up, install ~ftp/bin/tar following the same procedure as you would to
install ~ftp/bin/ls from the FAQ.

You can *NOT* have the daemon take an existing tarball, untar it, and have
teh remote client receive the individual files.  That is a client-side
problem and I know of no clients which will do it automatically but you
could look.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg              Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195