Subject: Re: No files (LIST/NLST)

From: Claus Larsen <[email-masked]>
Date: 15 Jul 99 15:01:17 +0100

Reply to:   Re: No files (LIST/NLST)
hallo again

I appreciate your answer, but in fact my problems not in the faq. If you read my question once again you'll see that my problems is not with anonymous users (which is the problem mentioned in the faq), but my real users. I've read the faq and browsed the mail archieves, but I haven't been able to find other's with the same problem.

Claus Larsen, webmaster, email: [email-masked]
Herning Folkeblad Internet, Oestergade 25, DK-7400 Herning
Phone: 96263700, Fax: 97213804, URL: http://www.herningfolkeblad.dk

Gregory A Lundberg wrote:
>On Thu, Jul 15, 1999 at 02:14:19PM +0100, Claus Larsen wrote:
>
>> I use wu-ftpd 2.5.0 on aix 4.3.2.
>> >> I have the problem with no files listed in browser, other clients working
>> fine, for all my normal user accounts, a LIST/NLST problem I know. I've
>> setup an anonymous ftp account using /usr/samples/tcpip/anon.ftp (a
>> script provided from IBM), and that account is working fine with all
>> clients.
>> >> The scripts copies files to /home/ftp, e.g. /bin/ls to /home/ftp/bin/ls,
>> so the files available for the anonymous account and the other account
>> (e.g. root) should be the same. But somehow it doesn't work.
>> >> Anyone has the same problem or any good ideas? >> >> After installing wu-ftpd, in.ftpd, ftpaccess and other files are placed
>> in /etc, could this the reason for my problems? Another thing, the deamon
>> doesn't seem to use the ftpaccess file (and I'm using the -a option in
>> /etc/inetd.conf). I've tried putting the ftpaccess file in
>> /usr/local/lib/ftpd but that doesn't work either.
>
>Check that the ftpaccess file is where the daemon expects it to be.  Be
>sure you did a kill -HUP in inetd to tell it to use the new command line.
>
>Your directory listing problem is a FAQ.
>
>The location of the latest version of wu-ftpd can be found in the >directory
> >      ftp://ftp.wu-ftpd.org/pub/wu-ftpd/
> >wu-ftpd Resource Center:  http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/
>wu-ftpd FAQ:              http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html
>wu-ftpd list archive:     http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/mail-archive/
>
>-- >
>Gregory A Lundberg              WU-FTPD Development Group
>1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
>Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 12:16:29 -0400

On Thu, Jul 15, 1999 at 03:01:17PM +0100, Claus Larsen wrote:

> I appreciate your answer, but in fact my problems not in the faq. If you
> read my question once again you'll see that my problems is not with
> anonymous users (which is the problem mentioned in the faq), but my real
> users. I've read the faq and browsed the mail archieves, but I haven't
> been able to find other's with the same problem.

For real users:  if you can do '/bin/ls' from a telnet shell prompt, it
will usually work via FTP.  You might do a 'which ls' to see where the
program actually resides on your system; the FTP daemon will ONLY use
/bin/ls.

For guest users:  if you can do '/bin/ls' in a chroot, it will usually work
via FTP.

For anonymous users:  if you can do '/bin/ls' in a chroot, it will usually
work via FTP.

Instructions for testing 'ls' in a chroot have been posted and are in the
FAQ  or the Guest HOWTO (I don't recall which).

If the '/bin/ls' command works and you still cannot LIST (NLST should work
fine at all times), read the FAQ/GuestHOWTO to see if there are specific
instructions about special libraries, devices, etc, needed on your
platform.  A good place to find those on many systems, is also the FTP
server setup instrcutions which came with your OS.

--