Subject: RE: FTPconversions More help needed

From: "Shimek, Kirk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1999 08:38:47 -0500

Just a quick suggestion - this assumes that it is not a lot of clients
and that you have the access / authority to modify the clients . . . 

Write a short cron job / script that will, at scheduled intervals, look
in a specified directory for a tarball . . . when it finds it will then 
untar it.  Again this assumes that these clients are under your
control.

Kirk Shimek
Lucas Body Systems
507-457-3750 ext.8241

On Thu, 1 Jul 1999, Mukund Rajyaguru wrote:

> I am trying to setup a guest login that can send a tar file and be
> able to untar it to the directory they are in.
>     1) can this be done
>     2) if it can how
> 
> I have checked the /www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd site with no luck. Any
> further ideas.

You can have the daemon take an entire directory, tar it, optionally
compress or gzip it, and sent the result to the remote users.  TO set this
up, install ~ftp/bin/tar following the same procedure as you would to
install ~ftp/bin/ls from the FAQ.

You can *NOT* have the daemon take an existing tarball, untar it, and have
teh remote client receive the individual files.  That is a client-side
problem and I know of no clients which will do it automatically but you
could look.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg              Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195

Kirk Shimek Systems Engineer / UNIX Prog.
Lucas Body Systems
507-457-3750 ext.8241

---

From: Ian Willis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 99 16:21:33 BST

You can make the standard BSD ftp client extract a compressed tar
archive it receives from the ftp daemon:

get dirname.tar.Z |"zcat - | tar xvf -"

To avoid having to type this every time, define an ftp macro in
$HOME/.netrc, for example:

default
macdef xget
get $1.tar.Z |"zcat - | tar xvf -"

In ftp you would then execute:
$xget dirname

Ian Willis
SCO Internet Engineering Group, Watford, England