Subject: Peer

From: Mauricio Herrera <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 13:09:05

Hi all!!

Maybe this problem doesn't have a lot to do with FTP server, but I'm a
little lost. My users are getting this error frecuently:

Connection reseted by peer

I'm using Red Hat Linux 5.2 and WUFTP Server 2.4.2

Any tips on this?

Thanks!

Mauricio

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 16:26:38 -0400

> I'm using Red Hat Linux 5.2 and WUFTP Server 2.4.2

I'd suggest upgrading to Redhat 6.0.  It probably won't help with the
connections being reset, but it will prevent a lot of other, more severe
problems.  Then upgrade the FTP server to the current Redhat version (which
will take you to WU-FTPD 2.5.0); you will need to download the RPM, the one
on the 6.0 CD is old.

Connection reset by peer means the remote side (from what you're saying,
the server) is resetting the TCP connection.  That generally means the
server does not think it should be talking to _you_ (or, "Why are you
talking to me?  We are not having a conversation.").

The most likely cause is that you're not really talking to the server.
Instead there's a proxy in the middle and the proxy is mis-configured,
buggy, does not properly speak FTP, or is flapping up and down.

Other things to look at include bad network interface cards, cables, hubs,
etc.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg              WU-FTPD Development Group
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195