Subject: Unable to see files via a web browser

From: Neil Calton <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1999 14:21:19 +0100

I have installed wu-ftpd-2.5.0 on a Sun running Solaris 2.7.
Everything seems to work when using an ftp client from another
Unix box, i.e anonymous and real access is accepted.

However, when trying to use FTP from a web browser then
none of the files are visible. The README file I have put in the ~/ftp/pub
directory is displayed but the user cannot see any files.

I have set the permissions on ~ftp/dev/tcp to be 666 as the FAQ suggests
but to no avail. Has anyone got any suggestions as to what else I might
need to do.

Thanks,
	Neil Calton
Neil Calton                                       INTERNET:  [email-masked]
Information  Technology               JANET:     [email-masked]
Department                                     Tel: +44 1235 44 5740
Rutherford Appleton Lab.            Fax: +44 1235 44 5893
Chilton, Didcot, Oxon
OX11 0QX , England
URL: http://www.dci.clrc.ac.uk/Person.asp?N.B.M.Calton

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1999 09:53:11 -0400

On Fri, Jul 02, 1999 at 02:21:19PM +0100, Neil Calton wrote:

> However, when trying to use FTP from a web browser then none of the files
> are visible. The README file I have put in the ~/ftp/pub directory is
> displayed but the user cannot see any files.

Run through the FAQ section on 'ls is not working' you're missing a file,
library or device.  Do the chroot-command test shown in the FAQ.

The location of the latest version of wu-ftpd can be found in the 
directory
 
      ftp://ftp.wu-ftpd.org/pub/wu-ftpd/
 
wu-ftpd Resource Center:  http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/
wu-ftpd FAQ:              http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html
wu-ftpd list archive:     http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/mail-archive/

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg              WU-FTPD Development Group
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195

---

From: Johan Claesson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 19:53:31 +0200

> but to no avail. Has anyone got any suggestions as to what else I might

Hi Neil,

I had a similiar problem with Solaris 2.6. The problem was that the ~ftp
device was mounted with the nosuid flag set. Try mount it without the
flag set.

Regards Johan