Subject: ls works but dir does not!!!!

From: "Niesz, Russell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 10:52:50 -0700

Here is the rundown on my problem

I have a user setup in a guestgroup
when he logs in he can ls and he gets a file listing.
when he does "ls -l" it says: 

150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for /bin/ls.
226 Trasnfer complete.

but no files were ever listed. the same thing happens with dir.
I can chroot my shell to the users home directory and ls -l works fine.

Any help would be GREATLEY appreciated. Please respond to me privately
because I just got on the list and may not get the response until I am
accepted. I will post a summary of the problem/solution to the list when I
am on.

Thanks a ton
Russell J Niesz

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 14:13:45 -0400

On Mon, Jul 26, 1999 at 10:52:50AM -0700, Niesz, Russell wrote:

> I have a user setup in a guestgroup when he logs in he can ls and he gets
> a file listing.  when he does "ls -l" it says: 
> 
> but no files were ever listed. the same thing happens with dir.  I can
> chroot my shell to the users home directory and ls -l works fine.
> 
> accepted. I will post a summary of the problem/solution to the list when
> I am on.

Run through the Guest HOWTO.  If the chroot test works, and the user cannot
LIST (ls command), then check the user is chroot'd where you think they
are.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg              WU-FTPD Development Group
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195