Subject: getting upload restrictions working?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 1999 09:21:53 -0400

I know this has been discussed before, but I've been thru various net
resources and am not finding anything that works.

We are trying to restrict a specific wu-ftpd guest account so that 
the user can upload files into his login dir, but cannot upload whole
directory trees, essentially that he cannot do a mkdir operation (at least
I think that's how we'd approach preventing it). He's supposed to upload
files into his login dir, instead loads something like:

	/opt/hisdir/hissubdir/hisfiles

into:
	/usr/local/ftp/guest

so that when our processes try to find his files, which they expect in:

	/usr/local/ftp/guest/hisguestdir/

they aren't there. We've made our best effort with upload, currently using:

upload /usr/local/ftp/guest   /jrtest   yes   jrtest  misc   0640    nodirs

but this isn't doing it. Can someone tell me what I might be doing wrong?

TIA.

-- 
Judith Reed
[email-masked]
(315) 453-2912 x335

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1999 09:55:43 -0400

On Fri, Jul 02, 1999 at 09:21:53AM -0400, [email-masked] wrote:

> We are trying to restrict a specific wu-ftpd guest account so that the
> user can upload files into his login dir, but cannot upload whole
> directory trees, essentially that he cannot do a mkdir operation (at
> least I think that's how we'd approach preventing it). He's supposed to
> upload files into his login dir, instead loads something like:

Read the upload.configuration.HOWTO at ftp.wu-ftpd.org or in the 2.5.0
distribution.  If the user's a real putz you might also make him a
'restricted-uid' user .. lock him into his home directory.

The location of the latest version of wu-ftpd can be found in the 
directory
 
      ftp://ftp.wu-ftpd.org/pub/wu-ftpd/
 
wu-ftpd Resource Center:  http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/
wu-ftpd FAQ:              http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html
wu-ftpd list archive:     http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/mail-archive/

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg              WU-FTPD Development Group
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195