Subject: Standard ls problem???

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 12:55:37 -0500

Hello All,
     
          This is looking like the standard 'ls' issue but I can't seem to 
     find the answer.  The basic problem is that ls doesn't work from a 
     browser.  Sounded like a misconfiguration so I looked through the 
     archives, FAQ and the in.ftpd man pages.  Fixed a couple of items and 
     got the same result (restarted the browser every time).
     
          OS is a stripped down Solaris 7.  By stripped down I mean only 
     the core OS components are installed and a minimal number of daemons 
     running.
     
          The error message I get from 'chroot ~ftp /bin/ls' is:
     
     ld.so.1: internal: malloc failed Killed
     
          Did the truss chroot command from the FAQ.  'ls' is complaining 
     on:
     
     open("/dev/zero", O_RDONLY)                     Err#6 ENXIO
     
          It tries the open twice and then reports the error.  Did a man on 
     open.  From the 'open' manpage:
     
     ENXIO     The O_NONBLOCK flag is set, the named  file  is  a
                    FIFO, the O_WRONLY flag is set, and no process has
                    the file open for reading; *** or the named file is a
                    character  special  or  block special file and the
                    device associated with this special file does  not
                    exist. ***     (Asterisks mine).
     
          OK - we're pointing at /dev/zero.  'ls -lL' output for /dev/zero 
     and ~ftp/dev/zero:
     
     crw-rw-rw-   1 root     sys       13, 12 Jul 22 14:26 /dev/zero
     crw-rw-rw-   1 root     sys       13, 12 Jul 29 14:05 
                                           /local/users/ftp/dev/zero
     
          The permissions on the directories don't seem to be the problem.  
     I usually set my non-public directories to 111 but opened them up to 
     555 and still got the same errors.  Permissions on ~ftp are 555.
     
          My ~ftp/usr/lib contains the following libraries:
     
     -r-xr-xr-x   1 root     other      24576 Jul 29 13:41 ld.so
     -r-xr-xr-x   1 root     other     165316 Jul 29 13:20 ld.so.1
     -r-xr-xr-x   1 root     other    1118620 Jun 23 10:44 libc.so.1
     -r-xr-xr-x   1 root     other       4528 Jun 23 10:44 libdl.so.1
     -r-xr-xr-x   1 root     other      19876 Jul 29 13:19 libmp.so
     -r-xr-xr-x   1 root     other       7104 Jul 29 13:19 libmp.so.1
     -r-xr-xr-x   1 root     other      19876 Jul 29 13:19 libmp.so.2
     -r-xr-xr-x   1 root     other     813824 Jul 29 13:19 libnsl.so.1
     -r-xr-xr-x   1 root     other      56988 Jul 29 13:20 libsocket.so.1
     -r-xr-xr-x   1 root     other      17540 Jul 29 13:19 nss_compat.so.1
     -r-xr-xr-x   1 root     other      11476 Jul 29 13:19 nss_dns.so.1
     -r-xr-xr-x   1 root     other      27884 Jul 29 13:19 nss_files.so.1
     -r-xr-xr-x   1 root     other      31260 Jul 29 13:19 nss_nis.so.1
     -r-xr-xr-x   1 root     other      37012 Jul 29 13:19 nss_nisplus.so.1
     dr-xr-xr-x   2 root     other        512 Jul 29 13:10 security
     -r-xr-xr-x   1 root     other      11048 Jul 29 13:19 straddr.so
     -r-xr-xr-x   1 root     other      11048 Jul 29 13:19 straddr.so.2
     
          I know I'm probably missing something simple but at the moment I 
     evidently can't see the forest for the trees.  Any ideas are 
     appreciated.
     
     John Smith
     Sys Admin
     QMS, Inc.

---

From: Jim Davis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 11:27:41 -0700 (MST)

Try running ldd on your ftp tree's /bin/ls.  On my 2.5.1 system I show
/usr/lib/libw.so and /usr/lib/libintl.so too, which aren't on the list you
posted.  Of course that might not be the same stuff you'll need on Solaris
7, but I'd check anyway.