Subject: Non-Anonymous Setup Problems

From: "Shimek, Kirk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 10:26:31 -0500

Okay Everyone.  I know I'm new to this but I cannot be that brain
dead . . . can I?

First off I'm using an "ftpd" not compiled on my system because I cannot get
gcc to work and
the company is on a budget freeze so I bummed it from a nice wu-listee.
Anyway . . .
I've followed the setup instructions from Glenn Fleishman's "Setting up
wuftpd for Non-
Anonymous Accounts".  I have the following configuration;

/home/ftp set as the chroot or root directory for my ftp users.
Under this I have a directory called "abc" and a directory called
"incoming".  The "abc" directory
is owned by a login name called "abc" and the incoming directory is for all
uploads from remote
users.  I think I followed the instructions correctly from
WU-ftpd-upload.HOWTO . . .
I've also created with correct permissions, the "/etc/shells" file as this
was listed as a potential
problem from one of the archived e-mails and other FAQs.

The abc user gets the standard "login incorrect" "or access denied" when
using either a DOS
prompt login or I.E. browser logon attempt. Any suggestions / ideas are
GREATLY appreciated

Kirk Shimek

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 11:47:21 -0400

On Wed, Jul 14, 1999 at 10:26:31AM -0500, Shimek, Kirk wrote:

> Okay Everyone.  I know I'm new to this but I cannot be that brain dead .
> . . can I?

Why not?  The rest of us are :P

> First off I'm using an "ftpd" not compiled on my system because I cannot
> get gcc to work and the company is on a budget freeze so I bummed it from
> a nice wu-listee.

> wuftpd for Non- Anonymous Accounts".  I have the following configuration;

I heard about that page yesterday, it's a good pedestrian howto, but is out
of date and has some technical inaccuracies (especially for non-Linux
users).

> "incoming".  The "abc" directory is owned by a login name called "abc"
> and the incoming directory is for all uploads from remote users.  I think
> I followed the instructions correctly from WU-ftpd-upload.HOWTO . . .

Say what?  Do you mean the upload.configuration.HOWTO?

> I've also created with correct permissions, the "/etc/shells" file as
> this was listed as a potential problem from one of the archived e-mails
> and other FAQs.
> 
> using either a DOS prompt login or I.E. browser logon attempt. Any
> suggestions / ideas are GREATLY appreciated

What is the exact text of the error .. wait a minute, I just posted this
same thing for someone else.  Go back a message and read my response.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg              WU-FTPD Development Group
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195