Subject: Blank FTP Directories

From: Yann Ramin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1999 09:34:40 +0000 (GMT)

Here is a fun question:

I've recently set up a machine with wu-ftpd.  I've enabled path filters
(so a /./ will limit their ftp browsing abilities) with the following
config lines:

# path-filter...
path-filter  anonymous  /etc/pathmsg  ^[-A-Za-z0-9_\.]*$  ^\.  ^-
path-filter  guest      /etc/pathmsg  ^[-A-Za-z0-9_\.]*$  ^\.  ^-

# specify which group of users will be treated as "guests".
guestgroup faculty
guestgroup students

It seems that any user in a guest group automaticly gets shown a blank
directory (not just the home, but any directory) regardless of the ftp
client (command-line, Netscape...).  Has anyone had this problem before?

Thanks, Yann

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1999 12:30:49 -0400

> (so a /./ will limit their ftp browsing abilities) with the following

This is NOT what path-filter does.  It limits the pathnames they may use
for uploads; not the names they may "browse" to.

> client (command-line, Netscape...).  Has anyone had this problem before?

This is probably because you didn't follow the instructions in the Guest
HOWTO.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg              Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195