Subject: anonymous create directories?

From: Robert Goodwin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 1999 17:18:55 -0600

Hi there.

I recently upgraded to wu-ftpd 2.5.0 and around the same time someone
that uses the anonymous account complained that he couldn't create
directories or upload to the upload directory.  (permission denied) 

I don't know if the 2 events are related but i don't recall changing
anything...

these are permission in /home/ftp :
drwxrwxrwx   6 ftp      ftp          1024 Jul  2 10:24 upload

it seems everyone should be able to write to this directory so it must
be something in an ftpd config file right?

How do I fix this?

-Rob

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 11:07:32 -0400

On Mon, Jul 05, 1999 at 05:18:55PM -0600, Robert Goodwin wrote:

> it seems everyone should be able to write to this directory so it must be
> something in an ftpd config file right?
> 
> How do I fix this?

Your site is an example of the reason 2.5.0 is more paranoid than ealier
versions.  I s'pose a better error message could be emitted.  Something
along the lines of "Your FTP administrator as attempted to shoot himself in
the foot. (permission denied)" might help the users understand why it's not
working.

The server is preventing uploads to your anonymous area because you never
configured them correctly.

Read the upload.configuration.HOWTO.  It came with your source kit and is
available online at

  ftp://ftp.wu-ftpd.org/pub/wu-ftpd/upload.configuration.HOWTO

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg              WU-FTPD Development Group
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195