Subject: virtual root question

From: Rocke Robertson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 1999 13:20:10 -0700

Wu-ftpd 2.5.0 / Solaris 2.6.

I have multiple virtual entries for multiple sites.... like below. Each
site has guest,real and anonymous connections. Question is, is there a
way of having anonymous connections chroot() rootdir go to ~ftp as
defined in /etc/passwd as opposed to the virtual root defined in
/etc/ftpaccess.

### xxx1.pwgsc.gc.ca
virtual 132.226.204.155 root     /sites
virtual 132.226.204.155 banner   /etc/msg/banner.webdev02
virtual 132.226.204.155 logfile  /var/adm/xferlog
virtual 132.226.204.155 allow *
### xxx2.pwgsc.gc.ca
virtual 132.226.204.158 root     /sites
virtual 132.226.204.158 banner   /etc/msg/banner.webdev
virtual 132.226.204.158 logfile  /var/adm/xferlog
virtual 132.226.204.158 allow *
### xxx3.pwgsc.gc.ca
#virtual 132.226.204.152 root     /sites
#virtual 132.226.204.152 banner   /etc/msg/banner.tiger
#virtual 132.226.204.152 logfile  /var/adm/xferlog
#virtual 132.226.204.152 allow *

etc......

Thanks.
--
==========================================
Rocke Robertson
PWGSC-GTIS-CPS
Voice (613) 748-4604
Fax   (613) 748-4843
mailto:[email-masked]
==========================================
"Did you know that if you play the Win NT 4.0 CD backwards, it plays a
satanic message!"
"Thats nothing! If you play it forwards, it installs Windows NT!!"

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 13:42:52 -0400

> defined in /etc/passwd as opposed to the virtual root defined in

No.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg              WU-FTPD Development Group
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195

---

From: "Luis Galleguillos" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 1999 15:30:04 -0700

Hi all:

Can someone please explain the concept of virtual ftp, virtual hosts, virtual
root  and virtual entries.

Also how can this Wu-ftp help me if after customers  ftp in files into my
site, I would like to distribute these  files to multiple sites automatically
based on some criteria?  Can wu-ftp do it
or do I need other software or scripts? Recommendiations or ideas welcome.

It seems now that Sun will sell the Wu-ftp in its ISP software. Have all
wu-ftp development
available through public ftp etc. stopped because of this? How long ago did
development
stop if this is so?

Thanks

Luis

Gregory A Lundberg wrote:

>   ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>    Part 1.2Type: application/pgp-signature

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 1999 17:15:54 -0400

Hi,

I am receiving this message on the console:

ftpd: wtmpx /var/adm/wtmpx value too large for defined data type.
I am running the FTP Server Version wu-2.4.2-academ[BETA-16].

Would please explain me how to fix this.

Thanks.

Mhamed Nour

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 11:08:29 -0400

> Would please explain me how to fix this.

Begin with upgrading to 2.5.0 and seeing if the problem recurs.  You want
to upgrade anyway for security purposes.

The location of the latest version of wu-ftpd can be found in the 
directory
 
      ftp://ftp.wu-ftpd.org/pub/wu-ftpd/
 
wu-ftpd Resource Center:  http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/
wu-ftpd FAQ:              http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html
wu-ftpd list archive:     http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/mail-archive/

--

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 11:58:10 -0400

On Fri, Jul 09, 1999 at 03:30:04PM -0700, Luis Galleguillos wrote:

> Can someone please explain the concept of virtual ftp, virtual hosts,
> virtual root and virtual entries.

WU-FTPD supports IP-addressed multiple hosting on a single server (if, of
course, your OS supports it).

> site, I would like to distribute these files to multiple sites
> automatically based on some criteria?  Can wu-ftp do it or do I need
> other software or scripts? Recommendiations or ideas welcome.

You will need to do some scripting.  cron and shell/perl come to mind.
BeroFTPD (a derivative of wu-ftpd) has the ability to generate an email on
upload; you could use procmail to process the files upon receipt of that
email.

> wu-ftp development available through public ftp etc. stopped because of
> this? How long ago did development stop if this is so?

Sun cannot 'sell' wu-ftpd.  They can provide it, free of charge, on media
(which they can charge a nominal fee for), or with other software (which
they can charge for or not depending upon licensing of that software).

Sun does not now, nor has it ever, had anything to do with wu-ftpd
development.  IMHO Sun will be including WU-FTPD, not because development
ceased and they have taken over, but because development has, after nearly
a decade hiatus, begun again.

WU-FTPD was initially developed under a research grant at the Washington
University in St. Louis.  That grant was not renewed after Bryan
D. O'Connor graduated.  Development languished as a result.  Bryan's last
official release as 2.4 on April 13, 1994.

Stan Barber (academ.com) took on the task of merging some early patches
(mainly his and the Hobbit patches) into the daemon.  This was initially 
going to be version 2.4.1 but there were problems and Stan decided to enter
a 'beta-cycle', renaming the version to 2.4.2-beta.

During the beta-test period, Stan took no bug fixes or feature suggestions
from the mailing lists.  He would take bug fixes if emailed directly to his
bugs mailbox.  Appearently, there was also a way to get new features added,
but Stan never publicly discussed that process.  His publicly state policy
was that no new features would be accepted.

Stan initially promised the beta-cycle would last only a few months.
Initially, however, there were so many bugs in the code that he was forced
to continually push off the final-release date for 2.4.2.  Years passed.

During those years, developers continued to work on the daemon.  Most
importantly, Kent Landfield released his NEWVIRT scheme/patches, Bernhard
Rosenkrazen began his BeroFTPD project to support FTPSEC and include a
built-in 'ls' command, and I began the VR-upgrades to gather all the ideas
and fixes on the mailing lists which Stan ignored.

Also during those years, a number of us began to privately discuss the
formation of an open development group to take over maintenance of the
daemon.  Our concern was Stan's increasing lack of attention and the
lengthening period between his updates.  Most of this discussion took place
in mid-1998; it was finally decided to give Stan until the end of the year
to finalize his work.

On February 26, 1999, Stan released version 2.4.2-final without public
announcement.

On April 1, 1999, the formation of the WU-FTPD Development Group was
announced.  Bernhard and I created the list of those we initially invited
and members.  Happily, many of those people accepted and have joined the
development group.

On May 25, 1999, the WU-FTPD Development Group offically released version
2.5.0.  For VR-upgrades users, this was a maintenance release.  For all
others (except BeroFTPD) it is a critical security update.  Since the group
decided to begin from the 2.4.2-vr17 code based, I served as release
manager for that version.

The development group is currently working on the next version.  Our
current goal is to merge the major features of NEWVIRT and BeroFTPD back
into the base daemon; thus terminating one or both of those branches of
development.  With this goal, Bernhard is serving as release manager.  It
is not clear at this point whether those goals will be met for the
very-next release.  If not we will put out 2.5.1 as a maintenance release.
Otherwise, we will put out a major update (probably called version 2.6.0)
including, as a minimum, NEWVIRT and/or a built-in 'ls' command.

--

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 11:17:46 -0400

Are there any rapid fix before upgrading to 2.5.0?

Mhamed Nour

Gregory A Lundberg wrote:

>    Part 1.2   Type: application/pgp-signature