Subject: noretrieve questions

From: "Pomerance, Debbie" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 17:47:52 -0400

My understanding may be out of kilter.

Wu-ftpd 2.5.0

Using the syntax /etc/ will mark the entire directory "noretrieve".
    Is this the real /etc or the chrooted /etc, or both?  I need to cover
both.

If I mention files specifically - I need the absolute /etc/passwd and the
relative passwd just in case - you never know where the malcontent has cd'ed
to.  

Does this cover passwd.bak and passwd.orig, etc.?

If I don't want to close off whole directories... it certainly can be
laborious to mention each file 2x.  Is there a character limit on the
noretrieve statement?  Can you have two noretrieve statements.

Thanks in advance.

Debbie Pomerance

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - -
Deborah Pomerance
Unix System Administration
U.S. House of Representatives        Voice (202) 226-6255
mailto:[email-masked]
Washington, DC  20515-6165           Fax  (202) 226-6017
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - -

"Those who help others help themselves" 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Deborah Pomerance               (202) 226-6255
mailto:[email-masked]
Unix System Administration
U.S. House of Representatives / House Information Resources

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 02:34:14 -0400

>     Is this the real /etc or the chrooted /etc, or both?  I need to cover

The default for 2.5.0 is the absolute name.

> relative passwd just in case - you never know where the malcontent has
> cd'ed to.  

I'd use

noretrieve absolute /etc/
noretrieve relative /etc/

in your case.  The absolute is default, but stating is documents you're
marking both noretrieve.

> Does this cover passwd.bak and passwd.orig, etc.?

No.  You need to use wildcards in this case.

noretrieve /etc/passwd*

> noretrieve statement?

The line limit for the ftpaccess file.  Um .. just looked at the code and
it appears the entire ftpaccess file is loaded into memory in one go, so
maybe there is no practical limit.

> Can you have two noretrieve statements.

As many as you want.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg              WU-FTPD Development Group
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195