Subject: hpux 10.xx - wu-ftpd can't authenticate on non-trusted servers

From: "Peniak, Rick - MLG" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 14:53:42 -0700

Hi everyone,

I have a problem at work that I am trying to solve and just can't. I
compiled and installed the latest version of wu-ftpd. I edited
/etc/inetd.conf and ran 'inetd -c' to refresh all daemons. Everything seemed
ok (the banner upon invoking ftp said "Version wu-2.4(4)...") until I tried
to login. Whether I login as user or as root, it tells me that the login has
failed. Essentially, wu-ftpd is not capable of authentication using the
standard /etc/passwd. What I can tell you that is interesting is that all of
the servers where wu-ftpd is installed and working are trusted servers. The
question is, what do I do to install it on a non-trusted server? Are there
compile options that I need to figure out?

Thank you very much. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rick.

---

From: [email-masked] (Albert Lunde)
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1999 17:49:40 CDT

> compile options that I need to figure out?

I've never tested wu-ftpd on an untrused HP-UX system, because we don't run 
any production machines as untrusted.

But from the logic of the patches, as I've looked at them in the past,
I think you could replace the line "#define HPUX_10_TRUSTED" with
"#undef HPUX_10_TRUSTED" in src/config/config.hpx

--
    Albert Lunde                      [email-masked]