Subject: Can't display directories or files?

From: "Benny HU" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 09:25:19 +1000

Hi,

My system has installed RH5.2 & wu-ftp-2.4.2 b18-2.1.rpm

I tried to create a test account by following the instruction from the
resource center but I face the problem below:

Account name: testftp
Home directory: /home/ftp/testftp
Chroot:	/home/ftp

I can log on to the /testftp directory and I can cd to / and go back to
/testftp directory but ls command doesn't display any files and directories.

The ftp daemon doesn't take effect on the passwd file that I setup on
/home/ftp/etc/passwd. I tried to comment out the testftp account and I can
setup log on by using testftp.

Please point to the problem, Thanks in Advance.

Benny
-
e-mail: [email-masked]

---

From: James McMahon <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 10:21:52 +1000

> My system has installed RH5.2 & wu-ftp-2.4.2 b18-2.1.rpm

This rpm is very old.  I would suggest upgrading immediately to wu-ftpd 2.5.0
as the version in the rpm has a number of bugs and security holes.

> /testftp directory but ls command doesn't display any files and

This is an FAQ.  The FAQ can be found at:

wu-ftpd Resource Center:  http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/
wu-ftpd FAQ:              http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html
wu-ftpd list archive:     http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/mail-archive/

In short, the problem is that /bin/ls does not exist within the chroot
environment.  You have to either build a statically linked version of ls and
place it in the chrooted area's bin directory, or copy the standard system ls
to the chrooted areas bin dir and also copy all the required libraries to the
chrooted areas lib dir.

> setup log on by using testftp.

The password file in the chrooted area is not used for login authentication.
The standard system /etc/passwd file is used for this.  The password file in
the chrooted area is necessary so that ls -l returns user names instead of
numerical UID's

Hope this helps,

James

--

James McMahon
SGE
[email-masked]