Subject: problem with file types returned by ftpd v2.4.2-vr17

From: Craig Dewick <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 18:01:31 +1000 (EST)

Hello,

I am running a machine on my local network which acts as an FTP server
running v2.4.2-vr17 as the FTP daemon.

I have discovered a problem which appears to be related to the FTP
server...

On my FTP server, I have a collection of MP3 audio files which when
accessed using a URL like this:

ftp://pathname/filename.mp3

results in the downloaded file being passed to the *wrong* application. I
checked the logs for my WWW proxy server, and for every MP3 file I access
from my FTP server using a ftp:// style URL the mime type of 'audio/basic'
is shown! This is obviously not correct, and seems to explain why Netscape
is handing the files off to the wrong player application.

I have just installed Apache on the FTP machine and set up symlinks so I
can use a URL like this:

http://pathname/filename.mp3

and this works correctly, with the correct application being started once
an MP3 file is downloaded.

As far as Netscape is concerned, the only difference here is that the mime
type that's logged by my proxy server is different for each type of URL.

Is this a bug with ftpd? Or did I overlook something when I installed it?

I am yet to update to v2.5.0 of wu-ftpd, so perhaps there is a bug in the
vr versions which is fixed in 2.5.0?

Regards,

Craig.

---

From: Koos van den Hout _U nix and we all_ <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 15:13:19 +0200

> from my FTP server using a ftp:// style URL the mime type of 'audio/basic'

Proxy server is the magic word. In your setup the proxy server has to
generate the mime-type for the file transmitted since the proxy does the
translation ftp -> http. Ftp has no mime-types, http has, and Netscape
purely bases it's guess on the mime-type when one is available.

If you would test it with other ftp servers serving mp3's you would find
the same error consistantly.

Check the proxy server setup.

                                         Koos van den Hout

-- 
 Koos van den Hout                    Expertisecentrum Cetis http://cetis.nl/
 [email-masked] (Work)                     Workphonenumber: +31-30-2586287
 [email-masked] (Home)                   Workfaxnumber: +31-30-2586290
 http://web.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/  PGP keyid RSA/1024 0xCA845CB5 via keyservers