Subject: ftp/webinterface

From: CHRIS WATSON <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 13:29:34 -0600 (CST)

ok I have updated to wuftpd 2.5 I have checked the protections in the ftp
directory...all are world rx.

I have followed the directions on http://www.wildheart.org/wu-ftpd/#anonymous.

the only thing I did not do was create the files in the ./dev directory.  I am
not familiar with the mknod command.  I am not sure why there should be a
tcp,ucp,null,zero and ticotsord in ./dev

and if I can do what I need to with command line...why would they only
interfere with a gui?  I tried with wsftp and I can see a log of exactly what
happens....it is the same as during a command line session.

I am still clueless?  any more ideas?

tia

chris

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 15:09:19 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 21 Jun 1999, CHRIS WATSON wrote:

> ok I have updated to wuftpd 2.5 I have checked the protections in the
> ftp directory...all are world rx.
> 
> I have followed the directions on
> http://www.wildheart.org/wu-ftpd/#anonymous.

don't know who this is but I will say that the information on most web
sites other than the following is incomplete.

The location of the latest version of wu-ftpd can be found in the 
directory
 
      ftp://ftp.wu-ftpd.org/pub/wu-ftpd/
 
wu-ftpd Resource Center:  http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/
wu-ftpd FAQ:              http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html
wu-ftpd list archive:     http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/mail-archive/

> the only thing I did not do was create the files in the ./dev
> directory.  I am not familiar with the mknod command.  I am not sure
> why there should be a tcp,ucp,null,zero and ticotsord in ./dev

If these are required for your OS then the daemon won't work if they are
not there.

> interfere with a gui?  I tried with wsftp and I can see a log of
> exactly what happens....it is the same as during a command line
> session.

Because there are two ways directories are listed.  Some command lines use
one, some the other.  some GUI clients use one, some the other.

These issues are all covered in the FAQ.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg              Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195