Subject: dele logging

From: "Speier, Guy J - CNF" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 11:36:17 -0700

Hello,

Can you tell me if commands such as dele are logged anywhere?

thanks
Guy

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 14:47:16 -0400 (EDT)

> Can you tell me if commands such as dele are logged anywhere?

log commands .. sends 'em to the syslog

log security .. records additional stuff when the user tries one of these
commands aand has problems of some sort.

I use 'log security' here and, while I don't see the DELE command, I do
see every file deleted and every error attempting to delete files. .. all
in my syslog

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg              Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195

---

From: Duncan Hill <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 09:16:41 -0400 (EDT)

> see every file deleted and every error attempting to delete files. .. all

I was wondering if it was possible for multiple log files to be
specified in a future version of WU.  I'd like to be able to split
various bits of data from the damon to different places, like:

log commands anonymous /var/adm/anonymous.commands
log security guest, real /var/adm/security.real

Is this possible, or am I just dreaming really hard?

Thanks..

--

Duncan Hill			Sapere aude
One net to rule them all, One net to find them,
One net to bring them all, and using Unix bind them.

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 09:32:32 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 21 Jun 1999, Duncan Hill wrote:

> log security guest,real /var/adm/security.real
> 

It is not currently possible.  All the logging is currently done in one of
two ways: direct write for the xferlog and syslog calls.

What the daemon needs is a complete overhaul of the logging.  (Actually,
what it really needs is a complete overhaul of everything.)

In the interim, about all you can do is hack the source so messages you
want sent someplace else (say, commands) use a different facility (say,
USER1 instead of DAEMON).  Then you could tell your syslog daemon to stuff
them into a separate file.  I've not tried this, or even looked at the
code it would take to do it, so it's probably a bit more complex than it
sounds.

--

---

From: Duncan Hill <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 14:02:51 -0400 (EDT)

> them into a separate file.  I've not tried this, or even looked at the

Well, its about time that I got back into C.  Will give this a spin
and see what I can break :>

--

Duncan Hill			Sapere aude