Subject: Delay while opening connection

From: Michael Plagge <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 1999 22:49:28 +0200

Hello,

we are using wuftpd 2.4 (yes, we will upgrade..) on a Sun Ultra with
SunOS 5.6 installed.

The main problem is that the process of opening a connection to the
server is very slow. The speed of further requests (while the connection
is still open) is ok.

I suppose this is a sun-feature, but maybe anyone can help!

Thank you
Michael

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 17:08:01 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 7 Jun 1999, Michael Plagge wrote:

> server is very slow. The speed of further requests (while the
> connection is still open) is ok.
> 

sounds like a problem with DNS (or reverse-DNS) lookups, or AUTH on the
client-side.  check your firewalls for AUTH and check your DNS
configuration.  you'll want this working when you go to 2.5.0

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg              Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195

---

From: Carles Xavier Munyoz Baldó <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 10:36:38 +0200

> server is very slow. The speed of further requests (while the connection

Do you have virtual interfaces configured on the network card ?
If this is the case, the solution is make FTP connection to the real IP
of the network card instead of connect to one of the virtual IPs.

I had the same problem...
I had in the DNS configuration that the IP of my FTP host was one of the
virtual interfaces. 
The same problem you say, and more problems (strangeous errors like:
blocking call cancelled in ws-ftp client, etc...)
When I change the IP of my FTP host to the real IP of the network card,
all the problems desapear :-)

Greetings.
---
CTV-JET
Carles Xavier Munyoz Baldó / [email-masked]
http://www.ctv.es/USERS/carles
Dpto. Sistemas / System Department
Clave pública PGP / PGP public KEY
http://www.ctv.es/PGP-STAFF/carles.html
Tel: +34 96 584 52 91 - Fax: +34 96 584 48 96
---