Subject: Guest accounts and 'spaces' in names? 'hang'ing processes? wu-ftpd 2.5.0

From: "Kevin Sorensen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 13:27:42 -0500

I am having a few problems with the new release of wu-ftpd and was
Just wondering if anyone else was having these problems also. I
have several users set up as explained in the 'Guest' setup method,
and they were working fine till this latest release. However, now I
have a problem with these users being able to create directories or
files with spaces in the names.

MKD test test test
550 test test test: Permission denied on server. (Filename (accept))

STOR test test test.txt
550 test test test.txt: Permission denied on server. (Filename (accept))

I was just curious as if there was a way to fix this, or if anyone
else was having this problem. It seems to be only with people set up
with a "Guest" account. Real users have none of these problems.

Also, just recently I have noticed that even after users time out, die,
or disconnect from the server, some of the times the user continues to
be listed as having a process running when checking users with

%ps axwww | grep ftpd
19576 ?        S      0:00 ftpd: hybrid.phoenix.speedchoice.com: daleet:
IDLE

I haven't looked into the 'ftpwho' fix yet, so I still use this method
of checking via 'ps'. Has anyone else noticed processes that hang? (Hang
is not really the word I am looking for, but maybe you understand what
I mean).

Also, I compiled wu-ftpd rather than using the rpm due to the fact I had
to configure it per the instructions at
http://flashfxp.phix-it.com/wuftpd.html in case any of that may make a
difference in what is wrong.
Also, I am running Redhat6.0 at the current time.

Any help on this matter would be appreciated!

Kevin Sorensen

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 14:55:02 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 18 Jun 1999, Kevin Sorensen wrote:

> Just wondering if anyone else was having these problems also. I have
> several users set up as explained in the 'Guest' setup method, and
> they were working fine till this latest release. However, now I have a
> problem with these users being able to create directories or files
> with spaces in the names.
> 
> MKD test test test

it's not a problem and a fix isn't needed.  you told it to do this by
using 'path-filter' in your ftpaccess file.

to allow spaces, you'll need to use GNU regex and use [:SPACE:] in the
path filter.

> Also, just recently I have noticed that even after users time out,
> die, or disconnect from the server, some of the times the user
> continues to be listed as having a process running when checking users
> with
> 
> %ps axwww | grep ftpd

You running the daemon as a standalone or from inetd?

> of checking via 'ps'. Has anyone else noticed processes that hang?
> (Hang is not really the word I am looking for, but maybe you
> understand what I mean).

ftpwho shouldn't be a problem for you since you're not runnig Redhat 6.0

> difference in what is wrong.

Dunno what that site has to say but I've found virtually _all_ wu-ftpd
sites except Koo's FAQ are **WAY** out of date.

> Also, I am running Redhat6.0 at the current time.

Huh?  Did oyu install fresh or upgrade?  Redhat says 
'ps axwww' won't work on 6.0 so I guess you upgraded?
since 'ps axwww' works for you, ftpwho shouod be no problem.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg              Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195