Subject: Re: wu-ftpd and ipv6

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 18:15:16 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 25 Jun 1999, [iso-8859-2] Arkadiusz Mi¶kiewicz wrote:

> I need IPv6 ftp daemon. At this time I saw only one working on Linux
> IPv6 ftpd daemon (ftpd from inet6-apps package) but this daemon is
> primitive. Of course there are IPv6 patches to wu-ftpd (beta18) but
> these patches are platform specyfic (wu-ftpd with these patches is
> working on KAME stack).
> 
> So where I can find IPv6 patches to wu-ftpd (2.5.0 or lower) tested on
> Linux system (or even untested) ?

I know of no IPv6 patches for WU-FTPD.

Basically, you'll be doing the changes yourself.  Such work is not for the
faint of heart.  I can assure you that such patches would be very
extensive. The code is serpentine, cryptic and virtually unsupportable.

> btw. is IPv6 support planed in one of next releases of wu-ftpd ???

No.  It's not planned.

> At this time there exist min. three good and working via IPv6 ftp
> clients but there isn't any good ftpd daemon, so it will be nice to
> see wu-ftpd working with IPv6 clients :-)

Sure, it would be nice, but who needs it?  IPv6 is not very widely
deployed.  That's not to say it shouldn't be done; but the work will
probably wait until we get arround to a complete rewrite of the daemon.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg              Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195