Subject: Version Identication and history

From: Bob Goldsmith <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 1999 19:18:06 -0400

Many of the responses to questions posted on the start with
"What version are you running?"

Pardon a couple of dumb questions, but is there any easy way to
collect the information on version/patch of each server on a
network?   Does anyone have a version history list with release
dates?

Thanks

rpg

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 1999 07:31:43 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 4 Jun 1999, Bob Goldsmith wrote:

> Many of the responses to questions posted on the start with "What
> version are you running?"
> 
> collect the information on version/patch of each server on a network?  
> Does anyone have a version history list with release dates?

Open a TCP connection to each IP address.  Check the response for a
version number.  Send USER and PASS to gain access then issue STAT with no
parameters.  Many (but not all) FTP servers give their version on the
initial greeting.  Many (but not all) FTP servers handle STAT as WU-FTPD
does by giving session status information, including server version.  If
the version is still not appearent, you'll have to look by-hand at the
server to see if there's any other commands (maybe SITE STAT or some other
SITE command) which might reveal the version.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg              Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195