Subject: mounting over home

From: Chuck Wilkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 11:32:12 -0400

Hello All,
     I am running 2.5.0 with the core for Solaris 2.6.

I want to add some users to the system for telnet purposes. I wanted to
create the user directories under /home   ex /home/user1

I noticed that I cannot add or change the file permissions for /home.
In digging around I discovered that /home is mounted over my system's
/home. I can work around this by using another directory but, I was just
wondering why this happened?

Chuck

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 12:08:57 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 14 Jun 1999, Chuck Wilkins wrote:

> /home. I can work around this by using another directory but, I was
> just wondering why this happened?

You told it to do that.

1) You have a single drive.  You partitioned it and told the system to
   mount a partition at /home.

2) You have multiple drives.  You told the system to mount a drive at
   /home.

3) You use NFS.  You told the system to import a filesystem via NFS and
   mount it at /home.

All mounted filesystems go "over a directory".  That's just the way Unix
does it.  It does not matter what you do to that directory; when you mount
the filesystem, the permissions/ownerships/etc come from the mounted
filesystem, not the (no longer used) directory.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg              Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195

---

From: Koos van den Hout _U nix and we all_ <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 18:22:59 +0200

> 3) You use NFS.  You told the system to import a filesystem via NFS and

4) It's a solaris default install where /home is automatically owned by
the automounter, making it impossible to use.

See manpages for automount and associated.

                                            Koos

-- 
 Koos van den Hout                    Expertisecentrum Cetis http://cetis.nl/
 [email-masked] (Work)                     Workphonenumber: +31-30-2586287
 [email-masked] (Home)                   Workfaxnumber: +31-30-2586290
 http://web.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/  PGP keyid RSA/1024 0xCA845CB5 via keyservers