Subject: wu-ftpd 2.5.0 slow for login and pass

From: David Lindsay <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 13:46:44 -0700

Hardware: Sparc 5
OS: Solaris 2.6

I've just upgraded to 2.5.0 and it seems to be working correctly. I have
noticed one difference on my platform going from 2.4.2 to 2.5.0. When I
initiate a connection, the server responds normally with:

Connected to ftp.hostname.com.

but then it takes about 8-10 secs for the login question to come up. The
2.4.2 version responded almost instantaneously. Is 2.5.0 doing something
different for authentication that causes this delay? Is there a something
in the config that I left out that would speed this up?

Any ideas appreciated.

---

From: Jim Budler <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 17:06:49 -0700 (PDT)

Change

#define USE_RFC931

to

#undef USE_RFC931

in the top level config.h

Jim Budler

---

From: Carles Xavier Munyoz Baldó <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 13:08:17 +0200

> in the top level config.h

Why this ?

---
CTV-JET
Carles Xavier Munyoz Baldó / [email-masked]
http://www.ctv.es/USERS/carles
Dpto. Sistemas / System Department
Clave pública PGP / PGP public KEY
http://www.ctv.es/PGP-STAFF/carles.html
Tel: +34 96 584 52 91 - Fax: +34 96 584 48 96
---

---

From: Aris Yannopoulos <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 09:16:40 -0400 (EDT)

> > in the top level config.h

It means that your clients don't answer the auth request in a
timely fashion or at all.  If you are behind a firewall you should check
that ident/auth requests are allowed to go through.  If it is actually the
clients you may wish to take the action above to prevent the daemon from
trying this level of extra authentication.

	Cheers,
	Ari(=

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 10:45:25 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 16 Jun 1999, David Lindsay wrote:

> I've just upgraded to 2.5.0 and it seems to be working correctly. I
> have noticed one difference on my platform going from 2.4.2 to 2.5.0.
> When I initiate a connection, the server responds normally with:
> 
> but then it takes about 8-10 secs for the login question to come up.
> The 2.4.2 version responded almost instantaneously. Is 2.5.0 doing
> something different for authentication that causes this delay? Is
> there a something in the config that I left out that would speed this
> up?

2.5.0 uses forward and reverse DNS lookups during the initial negotiation.
A bad DNS configuration can slow things down.

2.5.0 uses AUTH be default.  Normally systems which do not support AUTH
return an ICMP Port Not Available error.  Some systems or networks
firewall AUTH by dropping the packets completely.  This can slow things
down considerably since the daemon must wait for a timeout rather than
erroring immedeately.

After checking your DNS configuration, and testing to see if the problem
is AUTH-related, if the problem is not fixed, you can try compilling the
daemon without one or both of these features.  Note: disabling DNS lookups
disables a number of security features and causes '!nameserved' to be TRUE
at all times.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg              Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195

---

From: David Lindsay <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 09:20:59 -0700

>  If you are behind a firewall you should check
>that ident/auth requests are allowed to go through. 

This was the problem, I enabled acceptance of ident from the ftp server and
it gives me the login right away.

Thanks for your ideas.