Subject: real user gets chrooted path for guest user wu-ftpd 2.5.0

From: Jim Budler <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 21:34:46 -0700 (PDT)

These are two entries in my password file:

jb:x:1024:1001:Jim Budler:/home/jb:/bin/tcsh
guest:x:4000:4000:Guest User:/home/ftp/./home/guest:/usr/sbin/no

If I ftp in as me:
230 User jb logged in.
ftp> cd ~guest
550 /home/guest: No such file or directory.
ftp>

cd ~ftp/home/guest works.
cd /home/ftp/home/guest works.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but the same password file entries
worked in 2.4.2, (before I joined the mailing list and found out how
out of date I was).

wu-ftpd 2.5.0
Solaris 7 Sparc

I've tried both #define ALTERNATE_CD and #undef ALTERNATE_CD.

Thanks,

Jim Budler

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 01:32:03 -0400 (EDT)

> worked in 2.4.2, (before I joined the mailing list and found out how

Solaris has password caching which sometimes gets in the way.  Try turning
it off.  All kinds of odd things happen to WU-FTPD when it's on.

The /home/ftp/etc/passwd entries should look like:
guest::4000:4000::/home/guest:

No 'jb' entry there since 'jb' isn't a guest or, if he is, isn't in the
same guest-root area.

When 'jb' does `cd ~guest` it should be the same as your two examples
which work.  I'd guess the 'guest' passwd entry from ~ftp/etc/passwd was
cached in an earlier session since I can see no other reason why 'jb'
would ever see the ~ftp/etc/passwd abbreviated home for 'guest'.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg              Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195

---

From: Jim Budler <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 00:47:51 -0700 (PDT)

I've completely disabled nscd. It's not even running.
There is no change in behavior.