Subject: Byte-limit

From: David Lindsay <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 11:28:34 -0700

I'm trying to make it so anonymous users have a total byte-limit. I've put
the following in the ftpaccess file:

class anonftp anonymous *

byte-limit total 50 anonftp

I am assuming that the 50 means 50 bytes, which I'm using for test purposes.

I log in as anonymous, upload a 46 byte file, then a 236 byte file.. which
at this point should exceed the limit, then upload another file. It allows
upload after upload.

What am I missing???

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 14:44:31 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 18 Jun 1999, David Lindsay wrote:

> I'm trying to make it so anonymous users have a total byte-limit. I've
> put the following in the ftpaccess file:
> 
> I log in as anonymous, upload a 46 byte file, then a 236 byte file..
> which at this point should exceed the limit, then upload another file.
> It allows upload after upload.

Is it possible you're not 'anonftp'?  Is there another class in the
ftpaccess file which could be matching anonymous?  Or more basica: are you
sure you're anonymous?

It's been a long time since I tested this, but it should be blocking
uploads or downloads after the 236-byte upload .. 

--

Gregory A Lundberg              Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195

---

From: David Lindsay <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 12:10:25 -0700

At 02:44 PM 6/18/99 -0400, you wrote:

>ftpaccess file which could be matching anonymous?

No other class but local defined.

>  Or more basica: are you

Here is a snapshot of ftpwho after I log in as anonymous:

Service class local: augbur   17692  0.0  6.3 2348 1892 ?        S 11:59:00 
0:00 ftpd: vancouver-gw2-e0.columbian.com: augbur: IDLE   -   1 users ( 20
maximum)
Service class anonftp: ftp      17629  0.0  6.3 2348 1892 ?        S 11:46:58 
0:00 ftpd: vancouver-gw2-e0.columbian.com: anonymous/davi   -   1 users ( 20
maximum)

I also have tried to this with a guest account with

byte-limit total 50 local

and get the same results, no blocking.

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 15:32:25 -0400 (EDT)

> and get the same results, no blocking.

Uh .. DUH!

-- 

--

Index: doc/ftpaccess.5
===================================================================
RCS file: /cvsroot/wu-ftpd-stable/doc/ftpaccess.5,v
retrieving revision 1.8
diff -c -r1.8 ftpaccess.5
*** doc/ftpaccess.5	1999/05/18 17:09:53	1.8
--- doc/ftpaccess.5	1999/06/18 19:31:39
***************
*** 144,150 ****
  .B raw
  parameter applies the limit to the total traffic rather than just data files.
  .TP 0.5i
! .B byte-limit [<raw>] <in|out|total> <count> [<class>]
  Limit the number of data bytes a user in the given class may transfer.  The 
  limit may be place on bytes in, out or total.  If no lcass is specified,
  the limit is the default for classes which do not have a limit specified.  Note
--- 144,150 ----
  .B raw
  parameter applies the limit to the total traffic rather than just data files.
  .TP 0.5i
! .B data-limit [<raw>] <in|out|total> <count> [<class>]
  Limit the number of data bytes a user in the given class may transfer.  The 
  limit may be place on bytes in, out or total.  If no lcass is specified,
  the limit is the default for classes which do not have a limit specified.  Note