Subject: lose ftp directory info whenever restarting inetd

From: Chris LOS <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 1999 10:30:31 -0400

Hello,

We are using Version wu-2.4(1) for awhile now with good success.
Recently I've encountered a problem whenever I have to restart inetd on
our system. After this is done, people can still connect via FTP but
they cannot see any files in the directory. We are using both real and
guest accounts and both are affected by this problem.  Currently the
only way to fix the problem is to reboot.  Here is a copy of my
ftpaccess file :

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ top-of-file ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

class   all   real,guest,anonymous  *
delete     no   anonymous                     # delete permission?
overwrite  no   anonymous,guest               # overwrite permission?
rename     no   anonymous,guest               # rename permission?
chmod      no   anonymous,guest               # chmod permission?
umask      no   anonymous,guest               # umask permission?
#
# those groups of users that will be treated as "guests"
guestgroup ftpgrp

limit   all   10   Any              /etc/msgs/msg.dead

readme  README*    login
readme  README*    cwd=*
#
# those directories where uploading is not permitted
upload  /usr1/work/HOLD  *             no
upload  /usr1/users/tipftp  *             no
upload  /usr1/users/roftp   *             no
upload  /usr1/users/adftp   *             no
upload  /usr1/users/tcftp   *             no
upload  /usr1/users/ccftp   *             no
upload  /usr1/users/jbftp   *             no

message /welcome.msg            login
message .message                cwd=*

compress        yes             local remote
tar             yes             local remote

log commands real,guest,anonymous
log transfers real,guest,anonymous inbound,outbound

shutdown /etc/shutmsg

email user@hostname
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ end-of-file ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And here is the entry for ftpd in my /etc/inetd.conf :

ftp     stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/local/etc/ftpd     ftpd -aL 

Any advice would be most appreciated. Oh,  our O/S is DEC Unix 4.0B

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chris Los
Computing Services Department, 
Trent University 	
Peterborough, Ontario
Phone:  705-748-1121 ext-1588 		E-mail: [email-masked]  
------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Ted Keller <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 10:56:11 -0400 (EDT)

Chris,

Not sure... but you should probalby do a couple of things.  First -
upgrade to 2.5.0.  It's much safer and will make sure that we are all
working under the same assumptions.

Second. Maybe something is different between your startup files and the
inetd file?

Verify your startup files..... 
Do a find across your file system for fptd - and verify you are running
the right ones.

Also execute an ls -ul against the different ftpd's that you find and
verify that the last access times make sense.

ted keller

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 11:01:14 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 3 Jun 1999, Chris LOS wrote:

> Recently I've encountered a problem whenever I have to restart inetd
> on our system. After this is done, people can still connect via FTP
> but they cannot see any files in the directory. We are using both real
> and guest accounts and both are affected by this problem.  Currently
> the only way to fix the problem is to reboot.  Here is a copy of my
> ftpaccess file :

I would disconnect that computer from ALL network access, including LAN
access.  I would consider wiping it down since, if it's been on a network,
it's probably been broken into many, many times over the past decade.

I would install 2.5.0 immediately.

then I'd worry about little prloblems like the site bing unusable to your
users.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg              Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195