Subject: ls not listing owner/group

From: "Michael St. Laurent" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 11:29:47 -0700

Ok, I've got the ~ftp/etc/passwd & ~ftp/etc/group files setup but I still
get only the UID# and GID# in the ls lists when using a guest account.

Any help appreciated!  :-)

--------------------
Michael St. Laurent
Hartwell Corporation

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 14:53:47 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 30 Jun 1999, Michael St. Laurent wrote:

> Ok, I've got the ~ftp/etc/passwd & ~ftp/etc/group files setup but I
> still get only the UID# and GID# in the ls lists when using a guest
> account.

Make sure the files are world-readable and the directories containing them
are world-executable.  And double-check they're in the right place.  An
example layout with proper (minimum) permissions is at
  ftp://ftp.wu-ftpd.org/pub/wu-ftpd/examples/

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg              Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195

---

From: "Michael St. Laurent" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 12:22:05 -0700

>  ftp://ftp.wu-ftpd.org/pub/wu-ftpd/examples/

They are, they are, and they are.  Yep, I've already read the guide you
provided a link to and could not see any reason for it to not be working.

--------------------
Michael St. Laurent
Hartwell Corporation

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 15:33:00 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 30 Jun 1999, Michael St. Laurent wrote:

> They are, they are, and they are.  Yep, I've already read the guide
> you provided a link to and could not see any reason for it to not be
> working.

My guess would then be that the ls command isn't completely set up.  I had
a similary problem years ago after upgrading to Redhat 4.2 from an old
Slackware CD (kernel 0.95 or so .. like I said, old) and the solution was
to rebuild the ls command in the FTP server areas (I use static binaries)

Use the chroot command to test is it's permissions or the program:

  su
  cd ~ftp
  chroot ~ftp /bin/ls -alR

If it's a permissions problem root will see the proper usernames; if it's
the binary, you're either get some message, nothing at all, or the same
thing as you see via FTP.

Some systems cache the passwd file.  If your's does, turn off caching; it
getsi nthe way of the daemon.

--

---

From: Ted Keller <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 18:00:56 -0400 (EDT)

Michael,

find out the last time they were accessed (ls -lu) and verify that the ftp
daemon is trying to read them.

ted keller