Subject: FTP/HTTP interface

From: Paul Jobe <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 1999 09:41:42 -0400

Hello,

I am looking for a way to allow "offsites" the ability to share files 
and directories in a simple fashion yet secure (multiple 
passwords/directories, etc...).

I have found many possibilities of HTTP/CGI utilities that may have
questionable
vulnerabilities.
What I am looking for is a HTTP front end to the wu-ftpd that will allow
me 
to offer this service to multiple users.
Has this "frontend" been developed ?

Is virtual ftp servers per directory a good idea ?

Any ideas are welcome ?

Thanks for your time,
Paul

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 10:28:22 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 3 Jun 1999, Paul Jobe wrote:

> questionable vulnerabilities. What I am looking for is a HTTP front
> end to the wu-ftpd that will allow me to offer this service to
> multiple users. Has this "frontend" been developed ?

Why would anyone bother?  Not only would it be so insecure even thinking
about it is frightening, but it would be extremely wastefull.

What you want is to choose a protocol: HTTP or FTP.  then use the client
appropriate for that protocol.

> Is virtual ftp servers per directory a good idea ?

If you have the IP numbers to burn, I guess.  Your customers will think
it's cool, at least.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg              Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195