Subject: latest and greatest version

From: "Thunem, Tom" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 08:58:52 -0700

Hello All,

I am preparing to move our ftp function to another server and I am wondering
what the latest and greatest release of wu-ftpd is.I see from
http://hpux.cae.wisc.edu/hppd/hpux/Networking/FTP/wu_ftpd-2.4.2/ that this
was last updated in March.  I also notice that it is titled 10.20.  I will
be using an HP 11.0 system.  Is there another location that I can find a
binary that will work with 11.0 if the 2.4.2 won't work?

Thanks

Tom Thunem
Internet Support
Avnet, Inc.
[email-masked]

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 12:21:12 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 30 Jun 1999, Thunem, Tom wrote:

> Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 08:58:52 -0700

Was there a reason for this to be re-posted?  Or is the wu-stl list server
going funky again?

If you insist on using 2.4.2 you will be doing a lot of things which are
already done for you in 2.5.0 just to get it to compile.

I have seen reports of people using 2.5.0 source on HP/UX 11 without
problem.  I do not believe a 10.20 binary will work properly.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg              Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 18:37:54 -0400 (EDT)
From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
To: "Thunem, Tom" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: latest and most stable version

On Tue, 29 Jun 1999, Thunem, Tom wrote:

> I am moving our FTP function to a new server.  Is the wu_ftpd depot at
> http://hpux.cae.wisc.edu/hppd/hpux/Networking/FTP/wu_ftpd-2.4.2/ the
> latest and greatest?  I see that the last updated was 3/99.  If this
> isn't the latest, is it stable and secure anyway?  I am running on an
> HP 11.0 system. Will this run there even though it is the 10.20
> version.  I did not see anything to indicate one way or the other.

The latest version is 2.5.0 and is known to work on HP/UX 10.20; without
change if you have the for-pay ANSI C compiler from HP, with minor changes
if you need to use gcc.

2.4.2 is stable enough and reasonably secure.  2.5.0 includes a large
number of bugfixes (including a number of HP/UX-specific corrections), and
a few security changes.

The location of the latest version of wu-ftpd can be found in the
directory

      ftp://ftp.wu-ftpd.org/pub/wu-ftpd/

wu-ftpd Resource Center:  http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/
wu-ftpd FAQ:              http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html
wu-ftpd list archive:     http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/mail-archive/

--

Gregory A Lundberg              Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195