Subject: Re: Guest accounts and 'spaces' in names? 'hang'ing processes?wu-ftpd 2.5.0

From: "Kevin Sorensen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 17:26:53 -0500

>it's not a problem and a fix isn't needed.  you told it to do this by
>using 'path-filter' in your ftpaccess file.
>to allow spaces, you'll need to use GNU regex and use [:SPACE:] in the
>path filter.

Thanks, I realized what I had screwed up after reading the man on
path-filter, and it pretty much explained why only my guest accounts
were acting that way. I have commented out my path-filter line for now
since I am not sure exactly how to add a 'space' to the line, even after
your instructions to use gnu regex [:SPACE:]. Maybe this will help?

I have this as pretty much directly copied from 'guest' howto:
%path-filter  guest      /etc/pathmsg  ^[-A-Za-z0-9_\.]*$  ^\.  ^-

I know that the characters within the []'s are the allowed, but I am not
Sure how to add a space to that, I have tried a few different things.

>You running the daemon as a standalone or from inetd?

inetd

>ftpwho shouldn't be a problem for you since you're not runnig Redhat 6.0

Yes, I am running RH 6.0.

>Dunno what that site has to say but I've found virtually _all_ wu-ftpd
>sites except Koo's FAQ are **WAY** out of date.

The site (http://flashfxp.phix-it.com/wuftpd.html)states how to allow
fxp transfers in 2.5.0, where they were allowed in the rpm for 2.4.2.
Section was added a few days after 2.5.0 was released.

>Huh?  Did oyu install fresh or upgrade?  Redhat says 
>'ps axwww' won't work on 6.0 so I guess you upgraded?
>since 'ps axwww' works for you, ftpwho shouod be no problem.

Hmmm, I don't know what to say about that. I am running full install
of RH 6 since I did a clean install to try to learn the setup process
a little better from the other times I have done installs. But when
running ftpwho, I get:

%Service class all: 
%    1 ?        S      0:04 init
%    1 ?        S      0:04 init
%   -   2 users (no maximum)

No detailed information about anything, that's why I resort to the:
%ps axwww | grep ftpd
% 19576 ?        S      0:00 ftpd: hybrid.phoenix.speedchoice.com: daleet:
% IDLE
as it tells me the users, etc...

Once again, thanks for your help so far!

Kevin Sorensen

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 07:09:44 -0400 (EDT)

> >You running the daemon as a standalone or from inetd?

The 'hanging' processes are probably just idle Windows users.  Well, not
idle, but they look that way to you.

The problem is Microsoft doesn't seem capable of reading.  When they can
read, the obviously are not capable of understanding.  Internet Explorer
(all versions) does not comply with the RFC; it's not _really_ speaking
FTP .. just something close enough it works.

The workarround is to reduce the idle timeout and timeout limit on your
site.  I use the following:

 -t 300 <== Idle timeout of 5 minutes
 -T 300 <== Maximum idle timeout of 5 minutes

This doesn't solve the problem but it should reduce it to the point of
minimal pain.

> Section was added a few days after 2.5.0 was released.

OK, I give .. what is 'fxp' and why should FTP support it at all?

> as it tells me the users, etc...

Could you do a `which ps` and `ls -al` of that file and /bin/ps?

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg              Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195

---

From: Koos van den Hout _U nix and we all_ <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 17:24:55 +0200

> Section was added a few days after 2.5.0 was released.

I had a look at this, and the things suggested there DISABLE a number of
options added to wu-ftpd in order to stop abusing it. (The idea of fxp is
to allow third party transfers).

                                            Koos van den Hout

-- 
 Koos van den Hout                    Expertisecentrum Cetis http://cetis.nl/
 [email-masked] (Work)                     Workphonenumber: +31-30-2586287
 [email-masked] (Home)                   Workfaxnumber: +31-30-2586290
 http://web.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/  PGP keyid RSA/1024 0xCA845CB5 via keyservers