Subject: wuftpd stops running

From: Chuck Wilkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 1999 07:32:08 -0400

Hello,
     I installed WU-FTPd 2.5.0 on a Solaris 2.6 machine. The install
went the same as the beta version I had installed. I have the wuftpd
daemon in the rc0.d and rc3.d directories so that the deamon will stop
and start during re-boots. My problem is the following message on the
console:
starting wu-ftpd machinename ftpd[224]: getpeername
(/usr/sbin/in.ftpd): socket operation on a non socket.
    Any ideas where I ned to make a change so it will run on a socket?

Chuck

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 1999 11:41:49 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 2 Jun 1999, Chuck Wilkins wrote:

> I installed WU-FTPd 2.5.0 on a Solaris 2.6 machine. The install went
> the same as the beta version I had installed. I have the wuftpd daemon
> in the rc0.d and rc3.d directories so that the deamon will stop and
> start during re-boots. My problem is the following message on the
> console:
> starting wu-ftpd machinename ftpd[224]: getpeername (/usr/sbin/in.ftpd): socket operation on a non socket.

Be sure you have:

  -S (big S) specified on the command line.  This forks the daemon into
  the backgroup.  -s (small s) leaves the daemon in the foreground and is
  suited for by-hand startup.  Either option puts the daemon into
  standalone mode; without one of them the daemon runs in inetd mode and
  will get an error such as you're seeing.

  In /etc/services, an entry for 'ftp' or the -p option on the command
  line.  This tells the standalone daemon which port to listen on for
  incoming control connections.  One or the other is required.

  In /etc/services, and entry for 'ftp-data' or the -P option on the
  command line.  This tells the standalone daemon which port to use for
  outgoing data (PORT) connections.  If neither is specified, the control
  port ('ftp' or -p option), less 1, is used.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg              Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195