Subject: virtual hosts

From: hUnTeR <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 1999 19:03:10 -0400

Good day list readers - 

I have been running wu-ftpd for sometime, but one thing i have never
figured out - even reading thru the FAQ and man pages.

I host several domains here on this RedHat 5.2 Linux 2.0.36 box. They
all have the same IP (i.e. they are virtual hosts). What i want to do is
to enable say virtualhost1.com to be able to use ftp.virtualhost1.com. I
have added the appropriate DNS information, and have looked into the
/etc/ftpaccess fixes. How can i allow users to ftp.virtualhost1.com to
go to a specific path? i thought something like the following in
ftpaccess would work:

# <chemistbench.com>
virtual 10.1.1.80 allow *
virtual 10.1.1.80 root /home/chemist/temp
# </chemistbench.com>

Where 10.1.1.80 is the internal IP for that vhost. But i ftp there and
still see the /home/ftp stuff.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
-- 
Michael B. Weiner
Systems Administrator/Partner
The UserFriendly Network (UFN)
--

             / /  (_)__  __ ____  __
            / /__/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /  
           /____/_/_//_/\_,_/ /_/\_\ 

     * * * CHOICE OF A GNU GENERATION * * *

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 18:00:48 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 27 Jun 1999, hUnTeR wrote:

> all have the same IP (i.e. they are virtual hosts). What i want to do
> is to enable say virtualhost1.com to be able to use
> ftp.virtualhost1.com. I have added the appropriate DNS information,
> and have looked into the /etc/ftpaccess fixes. How can i allow users
> to ftp.virtualhost1.com to go to a specific path? i thought something
> like the following in ftpaccess would work:
> 
> # <chemistbench.com>

First off, FTP virtual hosts must EACH have a UNIQUE IP address (number).
DNS-based vhosts, like those available for web servers, are NOT POSSIBLE
with the current FTP specifications.  Yes, a new specification is under
development which will allow them, but it will be some time until that
specification is deployed.

This moves the chroot for *ANONYMOUS* users connecting to the FTP server
on IP address 10.1.1.80.  On 2.5.0 (which is what you should be running),
it also prevents real and guest users from logging into the FTP server on
that IP address.

This allows real and guest users to log in on the FTP server on 10.1.1.80
it does not, however, cause them to be chroot'd to the ANONYMOUS root;
they still use the root given for their username/uid.

On my servers, all users are guests, chroot'd to the /home/users directory
then restricted to their personal home directory.  If a user owns an FTP
site, that site is within their home so they can see their own FTP site. I
add a 'virtual allow' to allow them to log into their personal FTP server
(but they're a level up, in their home, rather than in their server's
anonymous area itself).  ISTM there's an example of this in the example
layout at ftp://ftp.wu-ftpd.org/pub/wu-ftpd/examples/

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg              Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195