Subject: WU-FTPD Ratio?

From: "Leigh Welton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 11:51:18 +0800

Hi, I was wondering if there was a Ratio function in wu-ftpd to enable
Ratio upload/downloads on the FTP server.

E.g. Like Serv-u for Windows how it can run Ratio's so people must upload before they download.

Regards
Leigh Welton.

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 08:53:11 -0400 (EDT)

> upload before they download.

<rant>
Ratios are dumb.  All one need do is upload /dev/random for a few meg to
get the download quota desired.  Works fine for the remote user and has
the added advantage of making life harder for the FTP admin.  The FTP
admin doesn't even get the satisfaction of banning the abusive site since
it's probably a dialup port and changes every session.  IMHO anyone
wanting to run with rations should forget the Internet and go back to
running a dialup BBS.
</rant>

BeroFTPD has some support for ratios.  Never looked at the feature because
it's so lame.

Wu-FTPD 2.5.0 has transfer limits which place upper limits on uploads and
downloads per session without attempting to remember activity from
previous sessions.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg              Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195