Subject: Error compiling version 2.5.0(1)

From: Alexandre Almeida Wanderley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 1999 16:21:10 -0300

Hi, all

	I'm trying to compile version 2.5.0(1) over SunOS 4.1.4 using gcc 2.8.1
and I'm getting the following error during the compilation:

"extensions.c:296: #error wu-ftpd on this platform has security deficiencies!!!
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `extensions.o'"

	Did anybody get such error anytime? And, did anybody got the solution?

	Any help would be very apreciated...

	Alexandre Almeida

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 1999 16:19:10 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 2 Jun 1999, Alexandre Almeida Wanderley wrote:

> I'm trying to compile version 2.5.0(1) over SunOS 4.1.4 using gcc
> 2.8.1 and I'm getting the following error during the compilation:
> 

You have three choices:

BEST:   upgrade to an OS which has sufficient software support that a
        secure daemon may be written.  Sun will tell you that the
        function(s) we're looking for are provided by SunOS .. our
        experience is that they are buggy and we will not use them until
        Sun fixes them.

BETTER: modify the daemon so it builds support/getcwd.c for SunOS and send
        the changes back to the Development Group. support/getcwd.c is a
        portable implementation of the getcwd() function which is buggy on
        SunOS and which is the cause of the specific error you're asking
        about.

HO-HUM: Edit src/extensions.c to remove the message and continue blindly
        trusting noone works out how to attack SunOS through your version
        of the FTP daemon.  If you choose this option, we don't want to
        hear about it; you have been warned.

--

Gregory A Lundberg              Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195