Subject: Re: guestgroup

From: Bob Luckin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 23:08:57 CDT

> what libraries about ls, i read the how-to guest.
> I use a suse 5.3 (linux)
> Thanks

Some operating systems support dynamic linking in addition to static linking.
For example, in Solaris 2 the vendor-supplied ls is dynamically linked, and
needs to be able to load several additional libraries (kept in /usr/lib)
in order to be able to work.  In this case, you need a usr/lib under the
chrooted directory of the guest user, which has the libraries ls wants
(you won't need all the libraries, just those used by ls).

I don't know if the ls under SUSE linux is dynamic or statically linked, but
if you already have a bin/ls under the chrooted area, and it still isn't
working, then maybe it is dynamic and you'll need to figure out what extra
libraries are needed.  You can get an idea of this by running chroot to
put yourself in the guest group home directory and running ls under
truss/trace; ldd should also help.

The reason that it works OK for some FTP clients and not for others is that
the FTP protocol supports two commands to list directories - LIST and NLST.
One of these causes wuftpd to run a built-in command which just returns the
names of the files - this is what you see in the clients which work.  The other
causes wuftpd to run the external "ls" command, which is what is happening
when you don't get anything listed.

I hope this explanation helps.  I'm off home for the weekend now, so if you
have any more problems, please post to the list and hopefully someone else
will see it over the weekend and reply.

Good luck !

Cheers, Bob
-- 
Bob Luckin      [email-masked]