Subject: Login Problems With wu-ftpd 2.5.0

From: Josh Turgasen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 20:49:14 -0500

Hello,

I have recently upgraded from wu-ftpd 2.4x (I don't remember the
specific version) and am having some problems.  Everything was working
fine before the upgrade, and now the server is not letting anyone login.

I'm running on Red Hat 5.2 with all of the post 5.2 fixes from Red Hat
applied.  I am also running with shadowed MD5 passwords (and again, it
was working fine with the earlier version).  Before I upgraded, I killed
inetd and deleted /usr/sbin/in.ftpd and deleted the files for the older
version (in /usr/wu-ftp).  I downloaded the new one, gunzipped it and
untared it to /usr.  I then installed it (changing no options in the
make file or the source) and restored my old files in /etc (ftpaccess,
ftpusers, ftphosts).  I thought this would work, but now, no matter who
connects, it will not accept their username and password.

All that the logs say is "Jun 18 20:16:25 hostname ftpd[500]: failed
login from xyz @ localhost [127.0.0.1], xyz".  The user's shell has an
entry in /etc/shells.  The /etc/ftpaccess is as follows:

----------------------------

email [email-masked]

shutdown /etc/ftp/shutmsg

class all real,guest,anonymous,groupx *

limit   all     10      Any     /etc/ftp/maxusers

loginfails      3

banner  /etc/ftp/banner

guestgroup groupx

realgroup users

-------------------

The user that is trying to login is not in the /etc/ftpusers.  Any
information on what is happening would be much appreciated.

        Josh Turgasen
        [email-masked]

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 22:29:52 -0400 (EDT)

> entry in /etc/shells.  The /etc/ftpaccess is as follows:

If that truely all the log says, then there's a problem with the password
authentication.  I'd check the daemon is compiled for the password scheme
you're using.

One big change, for Linux, especially for Redhat, is the daemon now
automatically detects that PAM is installed and compiles to use it.  If
you do not have/want PAM, you must add NOPAM=1 to the build command.  The
deamon will then enable OPIE, if installed, and shadow passwords, if
installed.  NOOPIE=1 disables OPIE.

Most likely, you're using a daemon compiled for PAM and your PAM config is
not set up for the ftp service.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg              Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195