Subject: Problem with wu-ftpd between linux and VMS

From: "Giuseppe G.N. Angilella" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 9:11:04 +0200

Hi everybody.

Before claiming for a bug, I would like to hear your comments on the following
problem I am experiencing.

I use RedHat 6.0 (kernel 2.2.5-15) and wu-ftpd-2.4.2vr17-3 . When I try
and transfer files (both ASCII and bin, both large and small files) to/from
a Digital Alpha running OpenVMS Version 7.1 and MultiNet FTP Server V4.0(15)
the ftp process simply doesn't work (at times).

More in detail, I succeed to open a connection, log in with user and pass,
give a put/get command, receive the information that the put/get process
has started. After that, the process simply does not ... proceed. The file to
be transferred is created with 0 bytes, and does not grow in size, as time
goes on. I have to kill the process in order to stop it.

I did not experience any such problem with Mandrake/RedHat 5.2 and
wu-ftpd-2.4.2b18-2.

Please, report any comment directly to my address below, after removing spaces.
Thank you in advance,

Giuseppe.

angilella @ ct . infn . it

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 09:00:41 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 12 Jun 1999, Giuseppe G.N. Angilella wrote:

> Before claiming for a bug, I would like to hear your comments on the
> following problem I am experiencing.
> 
> I use RedHat 6.0 (kernel 2.2.5-15) and wu-ftpd-2.4.2vr17-3 . When I
> try and transfer files (both ASCII and bin, both large and small
> files) to/from a Digital Alpha running OpenVMS Version 7.1 and
> MultiNet FTP Server V4.0(15) the ftp process simply doesn't work (at
> times).
> 
> More in detail, I succeed to open a connection, log in with user and
> pass, give a put/get command, receive the information that the put/get
> process has started. After that, the process simply does not ...
> proceed. The file to be transferred is created with 0 bytes, and does
> not grow in size, as time goes on. I have to kill the process in order
> to stop it.

Could you be more clear?  It appears to me you are discussing problems
with the MultiNet FTP Server and/or some (unidentified) client on your
Linux box.  WU-FTPD does not appear to be involved.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg              Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195