Subject: ls -l & guestgroup

From: Anibal Tello <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 22:30:43 -0500 (EST)

If I connect by MSDOS(ftp) I see my files, but when I 
write ls -l , I dont see nothing. Whats up with the ls
in guestgroup. I use Linux. I make a ldd /bin/ls and
copy the libraries for ls. Any idea?

---

From: Ted Keller <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 10:31:44 -0400 (EDT)

Anibal,

The ls command uses an internal (dameon code) ls program to list the file
in the directory.  The ls -l calls the external operating system ls
program - and passes it the parameters.  For that external program to
work, a number of things have to be set correctly...

1. the ls program must be available in the chroot envrironment in it's
normal location (/usr/bin/ls).

2. Any libraries requird by ls must also be in the chroot environment.
This is important if your ls uses your operating systems dynamic library
linking support.  They must be located in /usr/lib/lib.....so.

3. Specific devices required by the ls program must be located in the
device directory of the chroot environment.  At a minimum, you system will
probably require the zero device  IT may require more.  Put it in
/dev/zero.

Remember, wuftpd chroots for all anonymous and guest accesses.

Hope this helps.

ted keller