Subject: Wuftpd 2.5.0 on HP/UX 10.10

From: Thomas Neshite <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 11:51:08 -0400 (EDT)

Yaaaaahhhhhooooooooo!!! Wuftp works on HP/UX. Special thanks to
 everyone who helped (notes are below). 

 Building wuftpd version 2.5.0 on HP9000 running HP/UX 10.10 using
 Gnu gcc compiler 2.7.2. Here's what I had to do:

 Removed "+DAportable" (may not be optimized for my system but
 I'll deal with that later) and "+Onolimit" from the makefiles
 "src/makefiles/Makefile.hpx" and
 "support/makefiles/Makefile.hpx"
 (maybe some others)

 Then changed anywhere there was a "CFLAGS = -Ae" to
 "CFLAGS = -ansi". This was in
 "support/makefiles/Makefile.hpx"
 "support/Makefile"

 Of course, edit "src/pathnames.h" to match my configuration.

 Here is some background information. 
 
* Special thanks to:
  Gregory Lundberg <[email-masked]> and Bob Luckin <[email-masked]> for

 DAportable tells the compiler to generate code which works on both
 PA-RISC 1.1 and PA-RISC 2.0 architectures. You can specify DA<model
 number> to target the binary specifically for a certain system. This
 gives better performance on that model, but of course at the expense
 of not being as portable.

 Onolimit tells the compiler not to suppress optimisations which
 significantly increase compile-time or memory usage.

*  Special thanks to John McDermon <[email-masked]> for

 gcc -Ae -Dunix -D_HPUX_SOURCE -O -I.. -I../support -o ....

 The -A option in gcc is an assertion which is looking for more
 options, but in the HP-UX C compiler -Ae is the switch for ansi
 source. It looks like the Makefile is "tuned" for the HP-UX
 compilers.
 
 Try replacing the -Ae in the Makefile with -ansi which is the ansi
 switch to make gcc understand it.

* Honorable mention to Koos van den Hout <[email-masked]>: 
  thanks for maintaining the FAQs and list archives.
 
 Thank you, thank you, thank you, Everyone!

 tjn

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 18:05:05 -0400 (EDT)

>   Gregory Lundberg <[email-masked]> and Bob Luckin <[email-masked]> for

My answers for non-Linux are from memory.  Bob gave the specifics for
HP/UX 10.

>   thanks for maintaining the FAQs and list archives.

For the record: Kent Landfield <[email-masked]> maintains the archives
for the wustl.edu mailing list.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg              Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195