Subject: RE: WU-FTP Hooks and file uploads

From: "Perry Edward (tsp2emp)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 10:37:24 -0400

I am looking to Load balance the 2 servers in a DMZ( not pass from and
outside server to an inside server). The system are in 2 different
data center that are linked by an private T1. So the proxy idea will
not work unless it could connect to 2 different systems at the same
time. The other suggestion of running another program (e-mail/script)
would be something I am looking for too combined with NFS running over
an encrypted link would work together great. If you could provide me
some information on what I would need to do to implement the
additional functionality so another program will run when a file
downloads.

On a side note. Those who are on Solaris and looking for encrypted
traffic between 2 or more servers/network's you might want to check
out Sun Screen Skip 1.1.1 is transparent to the user. 

-----Original Message-----
From: Gregory A Lundberg [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, April 08, 1999 4:54 PM
To: Perry Edward (tsp2emp)
Cc: Wu-Ftpd (E-mail)
Subject: Re: WU-FTP Hooks and file uploads

On Thu, 8 Apr 1999, Perry Edward  (tsp2emp) wrote:

> If someone could tell me if this is a good idea or bad idea. It
would
> also be helpful if you would me some of the functions that would
help
> me to implement this.
> 
> I am looking to add the ability to upload a file from one FTP server
> to another FTP server (I guess build a basic FTP client in the
> server). The idea is that a customer would FTP to ftp server A. and
> upload a file. Then ftp server A. would open an intranet connection
to
> ftp server B and login is using the user id and password that was
used
> by the user to login on to system A. At this point Server A would
> transfer the file to ftp system B. When the transfer from A to B was
> finished it would then return control to the customer terminal or it
> could release the terminal and do the transfer in the background.
Then
> files would exist on both system right away. I know something like
> this could be done by a script (like Mirror) but then passwords
would
> be listed in an unencrypted state or I would have to make the script
> to run as setuid on the target system.

Sounds like you need to look at 'mirror' or an FTP proxy.

Don't know what you're trying to do but the way I read it, it looks
perillous.  If you're trying to allow outside customers to drop off
files
for inside users, leave them on the outsode server and have the
insiders
come get them.  I would NEVER allow ANYTHING from the outside world
past a
firewall/proxy without someone on the inside coming to pick it up.

Think of it like a letter-bomb .. should the mail room deliver it to
the
board room, or make the CFO come pick it up?  Damage will be bad
either
way.  It may mean the CFO has to walk a bit, and he may make life hard
on
your for making him do it, but at least there's _something_ left of
the
executive board after the smoke clears.  You question, though, sounds
even
worse .. you want to let the bomber have the keys to the board room so
it's easier for him to drop off the letter where it will do the most
damage.  What you should be doing is bomb-proofing the mail room.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg              Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 11:19:24 -0400 (EDT)

> out Sun Screen Skip 1.1.1 is transparent to the user.

Between two machines in the DMZ, I'd consider NFS.  I'd also take a look
at a traffic director to handle the load balancing.  Just got some
literature on a couple manufacturer's new models: they look good, are more
scalable, and should give you a lot more kick than DNS balancing ever
could.

--