Subject: Compiling VR17 with old AIX

From: Brian Salter-Duke <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 10:17:13 +1100

I am new to WU-FTP. I first compiled 2.4.2-beta-13 and set up all
the config files etc. Everything worked fine. I then realised this
was an old version, so I upgraded to beta-18. I then heard about
a security problem that was fixed in the VR releases after 10, so
I went for the latest version - VR17. This works fine under Digital 
Unix, but my main server is an old RS6000 running AIX3.2. This
fails on compile as follows:-

make args are : 
make opts are : 

Copying Makefiles.

Linking src/config.h

Making support library.
	cc -O2 -D_NO_PROTO   -c getusershell.c
	cc -O2 -D_NO_PROTO   -c fnmatch.c
	cc -O2 -D_NO_PROTO   -c strcasestr.c
	cc -O2 -D_NO_PROTO   -c strsep.c
	cc -O2 -D_NO_PROTO   -c authuser.c
"/usr/include/netinet/if_ether.h", line 82.9: 1506-007 (S) Struct or 
union arphdr is undefined.
    1501-106: (S) Include file net/if_dl.h not found.
make: 1254-004 The error code from the last command is 1.

Make Quitting.

Making ftpd.
	cc -O2 -D_NO_PROTO -I.. -I../support -L../support -c ftpd.c
"/usr/include/netinet/if_ether.h", line 82.9: 1506-007 (S) Struct or 
union arphdr is undefined.
    1501-106: (S) Include file net/if_dl.h not found.
make: 1254-004 The error code from the last command is 1.

Make Quitting.

then errors about not finding libsupport.a, which are obvious.

In both authuser.c and ftpd.c there is a "ifdef AIX" block that includes
both if_ether.h and net/if_dl.h. I do not have the latter on my system
and perhaps the former is different from what is expected. It looks
to me as if the AIX config files and makefiles are only tested for
AIX4.

Can anyone tell me what these include files are used for in the code,
or suggest any other fix for the AIX 3 systems.

Cheers, Brian.
-- 
        Associate Professor Brian Salter-Duke (Brian Duke)
School of Mathematical and Physical Sciences, Northern Territory University,
  Darwin, NT 0909, Australia.  Phone 08-89466702. Fax 08-89466847
e-mail: [email-masked]  WWW http://lacebark.ntu.edu.au/chemistry

---

From: James McMahon <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 11:14:15 +1000

I haven't worked on AIX3.2 for a while now, but I seem to recall that
the default C compiler shipped tended not to work so well.  I had lots
of trouble compiling things until I managed to compile the current version
of gcc and then used that with good success from then on.

I know that I probably didn't help much, but good luck.

James