Subject: RE: getting to the right dir

From: "Durham, Kenneth J" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 12:16:35 -0700

I tried this befor but then the user is not albe to use the ls command.
because the files needed for ls are in /home/username   is there to write a
logon script to make then change the dir?

-----Original Message-----
From: Ray Texter [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, April 21, 1999 12:15 PM
To: [email-masked]'
Subject: RE: getting to the right dir

in the etc passwd file...     :/home/username/./public_html/:/bin/csh
try this....

-----Original Message-----
From: Durham, Kenneth J [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, April 21, 1999 1:50 PM
To: 'wuftp'
Subject: getting to the right dir

Ive been having hard time getting my users to get to the right dir when they
login via ftp.  I want the user when they login to have the dir automaticly
changed for them. example
/home/username/public_html    this is the dir
/home/username                      this is were they go when they login
/home/username/public_html    i want them to be in this dir when they login
 
i guess what im wondering is that how can i make a script to automaticly
send them to this dir?  can someone help me out.  thanks

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 16:02:35 -0400 (EDT)

you have two choices:

- move the chroot point so it's unique for each user.  this is a pain to
  set up and can be a bigger pain to maintain

- upgrade to VR17 and read the ftpaccess manpage section about
  'restrict-uid'

neither will allow you to start them in a given directory and change to
others at the same level (in your example below, from
/home/username/./public_html to /home/username/./privatestuff).  if you
need that, what you have is what you get because the problem cannot be
solved on the FTP server .. it's a user training / web browser issue.

On Wed, 21 Apr 1999, Durham, Kenneth J wrote:

> I tried this befor but then the user is not albe to use the ls
> command. because the files needed for ls are in /home/username is
> there to write a logon script to make then change the dir?
> 

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg              Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195