Subject: ftpd problem -- HELP!

From: Jason Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 07:43:50 -0700

I was running 2.4.2 - beta 18 on my Solaris 2.5.1 box - when we had some
problem with the ftp server.
I shutdown the ftp server, then attempted to restart it. However, it did
not restart. I found the following message in my log files:

<nodename> ftpd[459]: getpeername (/usr/sbin/ftpd): Invalid argument

I upgraded to 2.4.2 Final on the same box, recompiled and installed (
note: it couldn't ranlib -- probably because ranlibs path was not in my
env path ). At any rate I get:

<nodename> ftpd[548]: getpeername (/usr/sbin/ftpd): Invalid argument

I am typing : /usr/sbin/ftpd -aioldD at the command prompt.
I have also tried to restart the process via inetd.conf - no go there
either.

thanks,
Jason

---

From: Ted Keller <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 11:59:55 -0400 (EDT)

Jason,

There are two locations in the ftpd. c code where getpeername is called.
One is for deamon processing and the second is for inetd processing.
These are determined by the compile switch on the makefile or the config.h
include header.

Probably would make sense to determine which of these two you are trying
to fight.  If it's from the inetd process, this is determined prior to any
of the ftpd arguments being scanned off of the input line - so the options
should not be entering the picture yet.

I suspect this is NOT ftpd related - but a larger issue in your solaris
system.   You may want to verify some of your solaris settings.  Probably
the first one I would look at is to verify your default route is set on
that box.  This is some thing that "could change" across a boot - and
drive you absolutely crazy.

Hope this helps.

ted keller