Subject: Curious hosts reported in xferlog

From: [email-masked] (Michael Schmidt)
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 13:48:51 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi,

when scanning our xferlog file I have found curious hosts there.
Their names consist of (from left to right) an alphanumerical 
part, then there is something looking like a 3 part IP number, 
after this follows "in-addr.arpa"

For example:  hosta.hostb.123.123.123.in-addr.arpa

The above is only an example, number of the left host names and 
the left host names themselves and the middle digits differ.

May be I'm too cautious, but what's that??
Especially, what about the "in-addr.arpa" part?
Can host names sent to wu-ftpd, or in other words received by 
wu-ftpd, can these host names be hacked?

I appreciate helpful feedback.

Have a nice day
Michael

-- 
                 Michael  Schmidt
              [email-masked]
Mirror of:                              SAMBA:
IPFilter, Ghostscript                   Server for Win95,
Linux-HOWTO                             WinNT, LANManager

---

From: CyberPsychotic <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 19:43:41 +0500 (KGT)

~ 
~ May be I'm too cautious, but what's that??
~ Especially, what about the "in-addr.arpa" part?

broken DNS declaration. Or at least seem to be such. Dude forgot to place
dot at the end, which caused named to append default ORIGIN at the end.

--
[email-masked]		http://www.kalug.lug.net