Subject: problems compiling for virtual servers IRIX 6.4

From: Paul Baughman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 16:50:47 -0400

Hi,

I'm trying to compile wu-ftpd 2.4.2 for virtual servers.  If I compile
it straight out of the box with "./build sgi" it works fine.  I get
warnings, but no errors.  If I add the "-DVIRUTAL" flag as explained in
http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/virtual-ftp-faq.html I get fatal
errors.  Can anyone give me any pointers?

TIA

Paul Baughman
System Administrator
SRT Enterprises

./build CFLAGS="-DVIRTUAL" sgi

[ ok stuff deleted...]

        cc -DVIRTUAL -c realpath.c
        cc -DVIRTUAL -c acl.c
        cc -DVIRTUAL -c private.c
        cc -DVIRTUAL -c authenticate.c
"authenticate.c", line 38: error(1005): could not open source file
          "support/authuser.h"
  #include "support/authuser.h"
                               ^

1 catastrophic error detected in the compilation of "authenticate.c".
Compilation terminated.
*** Error code 2 (bu21)

Making ftpcount.
        cc -DVIRTUAL -o ftpcount ftpcount.c vers.o -lsupport
ld32: FATAL 9: I/O error (-lsupport): No such file or directory
cc INTERNAL ERROR:  /usr/lib32/cmplrs/ld32 returned non-zero status 32
*** Error code 1 (bu21)

Making ftpshut.
        cc -DVIRTUAL -o ftpshut ftpshut.c vers.o -lsupport
"ftpshut.c", line 58: warning(1233): explicit type is missing ("int"
assumed)
  extern version[];
         ^

"ftpshut.c", line 110: warning(1110): statement is unreachable
                  break;
                  ^

ld32: FATAL 9: I/O error (-lsupport): No such file or directory
cc INTERNAL ERROR:  /usr/lib32/cmplrs/ld32 returned non-zero status 32
*** Error code 1 (bu21)

Making ckconfig.
        cc -DVIRTUAL -o ckconfig ckconfig.c

Links to executables are in bin directory:
size: bin/ftpd: cannot open
size: bin/ftpcount: cannot open
size: bin/ftpshut: cannot open
size: bin/ftpwho: cannot open
bin/ckconfig: 

           Section           Size        Physical        Virtual
                                         Address         Address

             .interp          21        268435732       268435732       
       .MIPS.options         128        268435756       268435756       
            .reginfo          24        268435884       268435884       
            .dynamic         256        268435908       268435908       
            .liblist          20        268436164       268436164       
             .dynstr         379        268436184       268436184       
               .hash         428        268436564       268436564       
             .dynsym         656        268436992       268436992       
        .MIPS.symlib          41        268437648       268437648       
               .msym         328        268437692       268437692       
    .MIPS.interfaces           0        268438020       268438020       
         .MIPS.stubs         100        268438020       268438020       
               .text        1400        268438128       268438128       
               .init          24        268439536       268439536       
             .rodata         976        268509184       268509184       
                .got          68        268510160       268510160       
             .srdata           5        268510232       268510232       
                .bss          36        268510240       268510240       
3810 + 1044 + 36 = 4890
Done

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 1999 20:56:58 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 23 Apr 1999, Paul Baughman wrote:

> warnings, but no errors.  If I add the "-DVIRUTAL" flag as explained
> in http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/virtual-ftp-faq.html I get fatal

I'd suggest you start here:
  ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gcc/gcc-2.8.1.tar.gz

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg              Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195

---

From: Paul Baughman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 12:36:30 -0400

Greg, thanks for the tip.  I was afraid someone would suggest this. 
I've tried gcc 2.8.1, and I'm having trouble compiling that also.  The
stage2 and stage3 compilers don't compare.  If you happen to have a
pre-built binary lying around...?  Or gcc2.7.x that I can compile 2.8.1
with?

I'll go back to gcc and see what I can figure out....

Thanks 
--Paul

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 13:07:18 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 26 Apr 1999, Paul Baughman wrote:

> I've tried gcc 2.8.1, and I'm having trouble compiling that also.  
> The stage2 and stage3 compilers don't compare.  If you happen to have
> a pre-built binary lying around...?  Or gcc2.7.x that I can compile
> 2.8.1 with?
> 

I used to have someone providing pre-built binaries for the VR series.  I
haven't heard from him in a while, though.  I don't run Irix, so cannot
help you with them myself.

--

---

From: Chad Price <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 12:41:19 -0500

>> a pre-built binary lying around...?  Or gcc2.7.x that I can compile

Since there are Sun binaries for gcc on the net, I'd be astonished if there
were no SGI binaries available.  I'd do a Web search if I were you.

Chad

Chad Price
Systems Manager
University of Nebraska Medical Center
600 S 42nd St
Omaha, NE 68506-6495
[email-masked]
(402) 559-9527 
(402) 559-4077 (FAX)