Subject: Authentication

From: "Durham, Kenneth J" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 12:45:20 -0700

I dont know if this is the right the place to ask this question, if now can
someone please point me in the right directions.   I have two machines
connected on a network.  One is running the apache and mail  and the other
is running ftp.  Is there a way that i can have both machines Authenticate
from one passwd file?  The apache and mail computer has all the users on its
passwd file.  Does anyone know how to do this?  Or know were i can find out
how to do this?  Thanks you guys

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 16:05:41 -0400 (EDT)

Radius.

If you're running a machine which supports PAM (Linux, solaris and
another, HP/UX, I think) upgrade to VR17, install the PAM radius module
(don't ask me where to get it, don't know) and run Radius on the mail
server.

Any other machine, happy hacking.

On Wed, 21 Apr 1999, Durham, Kenneth J wrote:

> I dont know if this is the right the place to ask this question, if
> now can someone please point me in the right directions.  I have two
> machines connected on a network.  One is running the apache and mail
> and the other is running ftp.  Is there a way that i can have both
> machines Authenticate from one passwd file?  The apache and mail
> computer has all the users on its passwd file.  Does anyone know how
> to do this?  Or know were i can find out how to do this?  Thanks you
> guys

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg              Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195

---

From: Chad Price <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 17:11:30 -0500

>Any other machine, happy hacking.

about the only cross-platform answer for user validation is NIS.

Happy Hacking... 
>> to do this?  Or know were i can find out how to do this?  Thanks you

Chad Price
Systems Manager
University of Nebraska Medical Center
600 S 42nd St
Omaha, NE 68506-6495
[email-masked]
(402) 559-9527 
(402) 559-4077 (FAX)

---

From: Dan Foster <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 18:22:47 -0400 (EDT)

Hot Diggety! On a bright and sunny day, Chad Price was rumored to have said...
> about the only cross-platform answer for user validation is NIS.

...or DCE, but I digress ;-)

RADIUS is a reasonable answer that integrates the most readily with
existing OSes/servers/apps with a bare minimum of additional code in
more places than any of the other distributed computing environments.
(DCE, NIS, CORBA, etc)

That said, I now return you to our ftpd discussion :)

-Dan