Subject: It killed my http service!

From: "sr" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 08:00:07 +0000

I love Unix, the unexpected always pops up to make things interesting.

I have a Sun box running SunOS 5.6
I was attempting to install wu-ftpd per the instructions at
http://smc.vnet.net/ , FAQ section, Question 8.  I got done with all the
instructions and discovered my web pages are no longer accessible.  I've
restored the inetd.conf to the original and restarted inetd, and the problem
persists.

After over a year with Unix, I am still a neophyte.  Any help is GREATLY
appreciated.

Steve Ralston

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 09:44:35 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 21 Apr 1999, sr wrote:

> I have a Sun box running SunOS 5.6 I was attempting to install wu-ftpd
> per the instructions at http://smc.vnet.net/ , FAQ section, Question
> 8.  I got done with all the instructions and discovered my web pages
> are no longer accessible.  I've restored the inetd.conf to the
> original and restarted inetd, and the problem persists.

I don't know what the instructions are since you didn't give a full URL
and the site is not usable to Lynx.

I'll assume it told you to revoke world-read and/or world-execute
permissions on some or all of the files or directories in your user's
homes.  If so, say "Ooopsie", and put 'em back.  Most HTTP servers will
only handle files which are world readable.  If you want the files only
available over HTTP (and not over FTP) you'll have to redesign the
directory layout and permissions.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg              Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195

---

From: Chad Price <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 09:09:47 -0500

>and the site is not usable to Lynx.

It's slow enough to be hard to use anyway..  I just looked at it appears
that he has installed beta-15.  Not a good idea anyway. It seems he has not
paid any attention to the security announcements.

>directory layout and permissions.

FWIW, here are the steps in the FAQ he is talking about, and I can't see
how any of this would have affected a Web server unless he did something
else he's not telling us about.

In any case, Greg is correct in the paragraph above. http and ftp can be
difficult (or impossible) to mix due to the varying permissions requirements. 

Q8:

      I want to install wu-ftpd on my system. What are the steps? 

      A8:

      Suman Malla and Detlef Mauritz took the wu-ftpd binary from this site
      and performed the following steps. Details may vary with your site.
      There is now a version that installs in /usr/local. Be careful to make
      copies of any files you may change. It is very important that you read
      the the documentation for more help. 

      1. create directory: /opt/WUftpd
      2. pkgadd -d wu-ftpd-2.4
      3. vi /opt/WUftpd/etc/ftpaccess
         create the following lines:
           class   all  real,guest  *
           guestgroup ftpguests
         to allow only ftp-access for real-user and guest-user, not for
         anonymous; the guest-user
         have to be a member of the group ftpguests
      4. create the group "ftpguests" in /etc/group
      5. create the user-account, the line in passwd-file has to look like:
           guestuser:x:1069:15:Guest FTP-user:/home/guestuser/./anydir:/bin/ksh
           - where 15 is the id of the group ftpguests
           - the directory /home/guestuser is the root directory of this user
      6. vi /etc/inetd.conf
         change line:
           ftp    stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/in.ftpd      
           in.ftpd
         to:
           ftp    stream  tcp     nowait  root    /opt/WUftpd/etc/ftpd    ftpd
           -d
      7. restart inetd
      8. create the following directories and files:
         (you can copy them from /export/ftp)

         /home/guestuser/:
         total 8
         dr-xr-xr-x   2 root     other        512 Jun  4 09:01 bin
         dr-xr-xr-x   2 root     other        512 Jun  4 09:01 dev
         dr-xr-xr-x   2 root     other        512 Jun  4 09:01 etc
         dr-xr-xr-x   4 root     other        512 Jun  4 09:40 usr

         /home/guestuser/bin:
         total 36
         -r-xr-xr-x   1 root     other      17500 Jun  4 09:44 ls

         /home/guestuser/dev:
         total 0
         cr--r--r--   1 root     other     11, 42 Jun  4 09:01 tcp
         cr--r--r--   1 root     other    105,  1 Jun  4 09:01 ticotsord
         cr--r--r--   1 root     other     11, 41 Jun  4 09:01 udp
         cr--r--r--   1 root     other     13, 12 Jun  4 09:01 zero
         
         /home/guestuser/etc:
         total 4
         -r--r--r--   1 root     other         37 Jun  4 09:01 group
         -r--r--r--   1 root     other         87 Jun  4 09:01 passwd
       
         /home/guestuser/usr:
         total 4
         dr-xr-xr-x   2 root     other        512 Jun  4 09:40 bin
         dr-xr-xr-x   2 root     other        512 Jun  4 09:40 lib

         /home/guestuser/usr/bin:
         total 36
         ---x--x--x   1 root     other      17500 Jun  4 09:40 ls

         /home/guestuser/usr/lib:
         total 3192
         -r-xr-xr-x   1 root     other      24576 Jun  4 09:40 ld.so
         -r-xr-xr-x   1 root     other     106768 Jun  4 09:40 ld.so.1
         -r-xr-xr-x   1 root     other     664048 Jun  4 09:40 libc.so.1
         -r-xr-xr-x   1 root     other       2568 Jun  4 09:40 libdl.so.1
         -r-xr-xr-x   1 root     other      15304 Jun  4 09:40 libintl.so.1
         -r-xr-xr-x   1 root     other     565500 Jun  4 09:40 libnsl.so.1
         -r-xr-xr-x   1 root     other      68780 Jun  4 09:40 libsocket.so.1
         -r-xr-xr-x   1 root     other      39340 Jun  4 09:40 libw.so.1
         -r-xr-xr-x   1 root     other      10796 Jun  4 09:40 nss_dns.so.1
         -r-xr-xr-x   1 root     other      21028 Jun  4 09:40 nss_files.so.1
         -r-xr-xr-x   1 root     other      24408 Jun  4 09:40 nss_nis.so.1
         -r-xr-xr-x   1 root     other      28848 Jun  4 09:40 nss_nisplus.so.1
         -r-xr-xr-x   1 root     other       9316 Jun  4 09:40 straddr.so.2

Chad Price
Systems Manager
University of Nebraska Medical Center
600 S 42nd St
Omaha, NE 68506-6495
[email-masked]
(402) 559-9527 
(402) 559-4077 (FAX)

---

From: Koos van den Hout _U nix and we all_ <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 16:10:41 +0200

Quoting sr who wrote on Wed, Apr 21, 1999 at 08:00:07AM +0000:

> http://smc.vnet.net/ , FAQ section, Question 8.

The wu-ftpd version on that site is *OLD* and should be replaced with
a newer version.

I can't find a FAQ on wu-ftpd at http://smc.vnet.net/ and question 8 in
the FAQ on wu-ftpd I maintain is on a different subject.

Download the newest version from
ftp.academ.com:/pub/wu-ftpd/wu-ftpd-2.4.2.tar.Z

Oh and that faq is at

http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html

> I got done with all the

Sounds like something in the access for the files of the webserver. wu-ftpd
has nothing to do with it (although a better definition of "no longer
accessible" could help to answer this question).

                                    Koos

-- 
 Koos van den Hout                    Expertisecentrum Cetis http://cetis.nl/
 [email-masked] (Work)                     Workphonenumber: +31-30-2586287
 [email-masked] (Home)                   Workfaxnumber: +31-30-2586290
 http://web.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/  PGP keyid RSA/1024 0xCA845CB5 via keyservers