Subject: path-filter in ftpaccess

From: "Look, Joseph" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 16:10:40 -0800

I have a question about using the path-filter command in ftpaccess.

Here is my path-filter command in ftpaccess:
path-filter anonymous,guest /etc/pathfilter.msg ^[-A-Za-z0-9\._]*$ ^\.
^-

According to the man page, if the filename is invalid, it will display
the message in /etc/pathfilter.msg to the user.  This didn't work for
me.  
When I try to upload a file with a space, it will give me the following
message:
553 joe test.zip: Permission denied. (Filename (accept))

If I upload a file with a - or . in the beginning, it will give me:
553 -joe.zip: Permission denied. (Filename (deny))

Although this does exactly what I want, it didn't give enough
information to the user of why the permission is denied.

What permission or limitation the file pathfilter.msg need to have?  I
assume this is just a text file.

Any helps will be appreciated.

=================================================================
Joseph Look
Merix Corporation                Tel: 503.992.4396
1521 Poplar Lane                Fax: 503.359.1624
Forest Grove, OR 97116     Email: [email-masked]

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 20:41:23 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 1 Apr 1999, Look, Joseph wrote:

> path-filter anonymous,guest /etc/pathfilter.msg ^[-A-Za-z0-9\._]*$ ^\. ^-
> 
> me.  When I try to upload a file with a space, it will give me the
> following message:
> What permission or limitation the file pathfilter.msg need to have?  
> I assume this is just a text file.
> 

You need a copy of /etc/pathfilter.msg in *EVERY* chroot'd area.  For
instance, here, I'd need it in:

/home/ftp/etc/pathfilter.msg
/home/users/etc/pathfilter.msg
/home/users/<siteowner>/ftp/etc/pathfilter.msg

This is the same problem as the shutdown message I referred to a while
ago.  Same answer: maybe someday someone will fix it so you only need on
copy.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg              Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195