Subject: WU-ftpd Beta 15

From: "Robert Johnstone" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 08:47:41 -0400

Good Morning,

    My original install of Wuftpd 2.4 was just replaced with 2.4.2 beta 15.  System is a Sun Ultra II, solaris 2.6

  I got the  latest 'pkg' from 'smc.vnet.net' and installed 'beta 15' over the original because of some problems cropping up with sockets.   Found and added package wuftpd 2.4.2 beta15..... All went well, and the daemon is running, however, the new version installs in /usr/local vs /opt and WUftpd does not seem to have its own directory except under  /usr/local/doc/wuftpd,  the binary is under /usr/local/sbin.

I can't tell where the 'ftpaccess' file is which it uses nor the other config files to tailor the system.   

  Also, I notice that you can't list the directory (pub or any other) once you log in.  Is this correct?

   Any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 09:14:26 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 29 Apr 1999, Robert Johnstone wrote:

> My original install of Wuftpd 2.4 was just replaced with 2.4.2 beta
> 15.  System is a Sun Ultra II, solaris 2.6

Beta 15 is very old and has a number of security problems you will want to
avoid.  I'd recommend upgrading to 2.4.2-VR17; there are pre-built Solaris
package files for it in the distribution site.

The location of the latest versions of wu-ftpd can be found in the 
directory
 
      ftp://ftp.vr.net/pub/wu-ftpd/
 
wu-ftpd Resource Center:  http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/
wu-ftpd FAQ:              http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html
wu-ftpd list archive:     http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/mail-archive/

> I got the latest 'pkg' from 'smc.vnet.net' and installed 'beta 15'
> over the original because of some problems cropping up with sockets.  
> Found and added package wuftpd 2.4.2 beta15..... All went well, and
> the daemon is running, however, the new version installs in /usr/local
> vs /opt and WUftpd does not seem to have its own directory except
> under /usr/local/doc/wuftpd, the binary is under /usr/local/sbin.

I do not know who smc.vnet.net is but it's obvious their archive is
woefully out of date.

> config files to tailor the system.

ckconfig will tell you this.

> once you log in.  Is this correct?

No.  It's a FAQ.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg              Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195

---

From: Chad Price <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 08:20:36 -0500

I have noticed over the past few weeks that there have been a number of
requests for help with versions of the WU-FTPD that are quite old  (pre-vr
series betas and so on.  Please save all of us a lot of trouble and drop
these old versions. They _all_ have known bugs and/or security holes.  

Update to the latest vr-17 version and read the FAQ and install
instructions. If you've read the install instructions and the FAQ carefully
and follow them, the vr-servers are a drop-in replacment for other earlier
versions of the wu-ftpd. Here's the skinny on getting the wu-ftpd off the
net (written by Greg Lundberg).

To: WU-FTPD Discussion List <[email-masked]>
Subject: VR mirrors

The VR updates for WU-FTPD include additional features requested over the
years by the user community and includes a number of bug fixes for both the
base 2.4.2 (beta-18) release and earlier VR updates.

The primary distribution site for these updates is:

Mirrors are available at the following sites:

Canada
------
    ftp://ftp.crc.ca/pub/packages/ftp/servers/wuarchive-ftpd-vr/

Hungary
-------
    ftp://ftp.ahol.com/pub/mirrors/wu-ftpd/

Japan
-----

    Ring Server Project
    -------------------
        ftp://ftp.ring.gr.jp/pub/net/wu-ftpd/
        http://www.ring.gr.jp/archives/net/wu-ftpd/

        ftp://ring.aist.go.jp/pub/net/wu-ftpd/
        http://ring.aist.go.jp/archives/net/wu-ftpd/

        ftp://ring.asahi-net.or.jp/pub/net/wu-ftpd/
        http://ring.asahi-net.or.jp/archives/net/wu-ftpd/

        ftp://ring.so-net.ne.jp/pub/net/wu-ftpd/
        http://ring.so-net.ne.jp/archives/net/wu-ftpd/

        ftp://ring.nacsis.ac.jp/pub/net/wu-ftpd/
        http://ring.nacsis.ac.jp/archives/net/wu-ftpd/

        ftp://ring.etl.go.jp/pub/net/wu-ftpd/
        http://ring.etl.go.jp/archives/net/wu-ftpd/

    Other Japan sites
    -----------------
    ftp://ftp.win.ne.jp/pub/network/wu-ftpd/

    ftp://mirror.nucba.ac.jp/mirror/wu-ftpd/
    http://mirror.nucba.ac.jp/mirror/wu-ftpd/

Sweden
------
    ftp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/nir/ftp/servers/wuarchive-ftpd-vr/
    http://ftp.sunet.se/pub/nir/ftp/servers/wuarchive-ftpd-vr/

Switzerland
-----------
    ftp://sunsite.cnlab-switch.ch/mirror/wu-ftpd-vr/

United Kingdom
--------------
    ftp://sunsite.org.uk/Mirrors/ftp.vr.net/pub/wu-ftpd/
    http://sunsite.org.uk/Mirrors/ftp.vr.net/pub/wu-ftpd/

    ftp://ftp.ox.ac.uk/pub/comp/security/COAST/mirrors/ftp.vr.net/

If you run a mirror and would like it listed above, just send me the URL.
Unless your local policy requires it, there is no need to ask my permission
to mirror the primary distribution site.  I do like knowing who is
mirroring, though.

-- 

Chad Price
Systems Manager
University of Nebraska Medical Center
600 S 42nd St
Omaha, NE 68506-6495
[email-masked]
(402) 559-9527 
(402) 559-4077 (FAX)