Subject: Problem with anonymous ftp uploads

From: "Reynold Mark" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 08:59:26 -0600

We're running BSD 3.1 with wuFTP 2.4(1) and need to have anonymous ftp
working.
I ran the script config_anonftp as indicated in the BSD manual (release
notes).
I want people to be able to ftp and send files to us, not retrieve them.

I created a directory called 'incoming' under /var/spool/ftp and gave it

permissions 733. The owner root and group is wheel.  According to the
manual, this should permit anonymous uploads.  However, it doesn't.
On my client pc, (running cuteFTP), if I try to upload the file doesn't
appear in the incoming folder.  If I look at the commands sent and
received from cuteFTP, this is what I see:

STOR nameoffile
553 Could not determine cwdir: Permission denied.  Can't initiate data
transfer.

If I make the directory readable (735) then it'll work.  But at the same

time, I don't want anonymous users to be able to see files and
download/delete
them.
So, what am I doing wrong?  I'm not using the /etc/ftpaccess file but
have tried it anyways (made change in inetd.conf and rebooted) but it
didn't seem to make any diff.  I have even read the chapter in Managing
Internet Information Services and have things set up the way it
recommends but it still doesn't work. Any ideas?
Thanks.

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 11:20:39 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 30 Apr 1999, Reynold Mark wrote:

> working. I ran the script config_anonftp as indicated in the BSD
> manual (release notes). I want people to be able to ftp and send files
> to us, not retrieve them.

Your version is so old, it would be safed to wipe the hard drive yourself
than put it on the Internet and wait for a cracker to do it for you.

The location of the latest versions of wu-ftpd can be found in the 
directory
 
      ftp://ftp.vr.net/pub/wu-ftpd/
 
wu-ftpd Resource Center:  http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/
wu-ftpd FAQ:              http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html
wu-ftpd list archive:     http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/mail-archive/

The specific instructions you need are in:

 ftp://ftp.vr.net/pub/wu-ftpd/upload.configuration.HOWTO

which is included in the release kit if you get the most-current version
(VR17).

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg              Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195