Subject: Re: WU-FTP Hooks and file uploads

From: "Marson, Hamish N" <[email-masked]>
Date: 09 Apr 1999 13:12:57 Z

Sounds like transparent proxy to me... I know that IBM's firewall does this... (i.e. you ftp to the firewall & put user@host for username & then the transparent proxy connects fo ryou & passes the passwd & everything else along to the remote site). Works quite well (Actually works extreemly well). It doesn't require a userid or authentication on the firewall or anything like that. I agree it'd be nice for wu-ftpd to do something like this. Perhaps you'd like to add it :) 

Regards
  Hamish.

[email-masked] on 08/04/99 20:34:00
To:	wu-ftpd
cc:	
bcc:	Hamish N Marson
Subject:	WU-FTP Hooks and file uploads

Reply-To: [email-masked]@INTERNET

If someone could tell me if this is a good idea or bad idea. It would
also be helpful if you would me some of the functions that would help
me to implement this.

I am looking to add the ability to upload a file from one FTP server
to another FTP server (I guess build a basic FTP client in the
server). The idea is that a customer would FTP to ftp server A. and
upload a file. Then ftp server  A. would open an intranet connection
to ftp server B and login is using the user id and password that was
used by the user to login on to system A. At this point Server A would
transfer the file to ftp system B. When the transfer from A to B was
finished it would then return control to the customer terminal or it
could release the terminal and do the transfer in the background. Then
files would exist on both system right away. I know something like
this could be done by a script (like Mirror) but then  passwords would
be listed in an unencrypted state  or I would have to make the script
to run as setuid on the target system.