Subject: hide directorys / motd

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 1999 03:35:18 +0200

hello 
i'm quite new in this business and maybe this questions is quite boring:

1: is there a way to hide the directories (bin, dev, etc, lib, usr, etc)
for
the ftp-users ? i'd like to see them only the pub-directroy without having
the 
possibility to change.

2: how can i set a motd (message of the day, banner) with the wuftpd.

thanx alot for your help

hubert

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 1999 10:15:41 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 5 Apr 1999 [email-masked] wrote:

> 1: is there a way to hide the directories (bin, dev, etc, lib, usr,
> etc) for the ftp-users ? i'd like to see them only the pub-directroy
> without having the possibility to change.

You should set the permissions to safe values so even though the users can
see the directories exist, they cannot see inside them.

You should also set upload and noretrieve clauses in the ftpaccess file to
prevent modification of viewing of the files.

In VR17, for real and guest users (but *NOT* for anonymous users) there is
a new feature 'restricted-uid' which you can use to keep a user inside
their home directory.  This should be used along with making the user a
guest.

> 2: how can i set a motd (message of the day, banner) with the wuftpd.

Banners are configured using the message claus in ftpaccess.  For
instance:

message .welcome login
message .message cwd=*
readme  README*  cwd=*

Displays the file '.welcome' from the current directory on initial log in.

Displays the file '.message' the first time a user changes into a
directory.

And suggests the user view and file whose name starts with 'README' the
first time the user changes into a directory.

On older versions 'changes into a directory' meant as a result of a user
command.  With the VR versions, is also means when the daemon changes into
the initial directory during log in.

The daemon does not create the message files.  So if you want a motd which
changes daily, you will need to write a script to generate it.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg              Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195