Subject: BeroFTPD: Docs bug...

From: The Hermit Hacker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 1999 03:14:21 -0300 (ADT)

I just spent the past hour going through the VIRTUAL.* doc file trying to
get things setup here, and...alas...ther is at least one bug in it.  It
says all you have to do for a virtual host is set 'root <root-dir>'...this
didn't work, so I scanned through the ftpaccess.5 man page, and found that
it has to have 'anonymous-root' set for this to work...

Might be someone wants to fix? :(

Marc G. Fournier                   ICQ#7615664               IRC Nick: Scrappy
Systems Administrator @ hub.org 
primary: [email-masked]           secondary: scrappy@{freebsd|postgresql}.org

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 1999 03:11:47 -0400 (EDT)

> it has to have 'anonymous-root' set for this to work...

Just to add to the above, the ftpaccess man page fails to mention the
'passwd' and 'shadow' clauses, and, more seriously, BeroFTPD itself
doesn't quite support the virtual passwd file feature on FreeBSD when
installed 'out of the box'.  I spent the last few days fixing this and
several other problems:

- When compiled with --enable-passwd, it should read /etc/master.passwd
instead of /etc/passwd (or, alternatively, configure should detect
master.passwd and enable shadow password support). 

- Parsing of the FreeBSD passwd file needed some changes because of the
class/change/expire fields, and the shell had an extra character
erroneously appended to it, causing the lookup in /etc/shells to fail.

- When the upload clause is set to chown the uploaded file to the uid/gid
of the directory, the upload would die with 'Permission denied' as soon as
it began.  Also, mkdir'ed directories were not being chowned at all.

- Changed the order of some operations during the login phase to check in
ftpusers _before_ looking up the account in the passwd file.

- Added a bit of extra functionality that made sense to me -- use the
'root' clause in ftpaccess, if present, to chroot() real users to the
given path.  Currently 'root' is only used when compiled with OLDVIRT.

I've tested all of these changes on my system and they all appear to do
the right thing, though I don't know if/how they might affect guest users
because I don't use that feature.  I contacted Bernhard a few days ago
regarding submitting patches but I've yet to receive a reply.

-- 
Alex Bulan <[email-masked]>
Systems administrator
Korax Online Inc.