Subject: Question about Virtual Hosts and Shadow Passwords

From: George Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 1999 12:14:58 -0400

I am having a problem getting the vitual root command to work with RedHat
5.2.  I got it working on another box so I figure I must have it setup
correctly.  The banner and logfiles command work fine just not the root
line.  I tried to recompile making sure the the virtual CFLAG was set but
the compiler kept telling me that virtual was redefined.  It did compile
but I am still having the same problem.  The other box didn't shadow
passwords installed so I figure this must be the problem.  Any ideas?

George

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 12:59:50 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 9 Apr 1999, George Baker wrote:

> I am having a problem getting the vitual root command to work with
> RedHat 5.2.  I got it working on another box so I figure I must have
> it setup correctly.  The banner and logfiles command work fine just
> not the root line.  I tried to recompile making sure the the virtual
> CFLAG was set but the compiler kept telling me that virtual was
> redefined.  It did compile but I am still having the same problem.  
> The other box didn't shadow passwords installed so I figure this must
> be the problem.  Any ideas?

Several platforms have #define VIRTUAL in src/config/config.<os> so it's
always enabled.  That's the cause of redefinition warning.

Which version of the daemon are you compiling?

Use ldd, check to see if you're missing any (normal) libraries.

NB: You're building for Redhat Linux where PAM is almost always installed.
If you're compiling VR17 on Linux, it will see PAM and use it in favor of
**ALL** other authentication methods.  Even if you link statically, PAM
uses *.so libraries and a number of config files which you may be missing.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg              Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195

---

From: George Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 1999 14:12:24 -0400

>Which version of the daemon are you compiling?
WFTPD 2.4.2

>Use ldd, check to see if you're missing any (normal) libraries.

It's statically linked and ldd complained.  I think most of the normal
stuff is there because
even with the complainants, it did compile and install.  The only part that
is screwy is the 
virtual root.

It lets me log in as a real user and even logs to the virt log but won't
drop into that dir.

>uses *.so libraries and a number of config files which you may be missing.

I'll take a look at the pam libraries and make sure they are installed.

Thanks,
George

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 14:56:59 -0400 (EDT)

> WFTPD 2.4.2

If you continue to have problems, try VR17.  If nothing else, it'll match
the version I'm currently shipping so I can answer more authoritatively
about configuration questions.  Precompiled binaries are available. The
non-RPM binaries I build support shadow password, no PAM, and should work
immedeately on your system.

The location of the latest version of wu-ftpd can be found in the 
directory
 
      ftp://ftp.vr.net/pub/wu-ftpd/
 
wu-ftpd Resource Center:  http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/
wu-ftpd FAQ:              http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html
wu-ftpd list archive:     http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/mail-archive/

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg              Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195