Subject: about quotas

From: Raphael Chasse <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 11:45:47 -0500

Hi,

I'm using BeroFTPD 1.3.4 on a Solaris 2.5.1 .  Considering that I run
many virtual FTP server on the same machine (each server with his own
passwd/shadow file), How can we manage disk quotas if users don't exist
in the /etc/passwd file ?

Also, if a subdir is shared among many users, How can I restrict the
maximum size of that subdir ?  Can we specify quotas by subdir instead
of by username ?

Thank you,
-- 
Raphael Chasse
Analyste systemes d'exploitation reseau et reseautique
[email-masked]

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 12:30:49 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 19 Mar 1999, Raphael Chasse wrote:

> passwd/shadow file), How can we manage disk quotas if users don't
> exist in the /etc/passwd file ?
> 

Full answer to your questions are highly system dependant.  What might
work for Linux may not work for Solaris or SunOS or HP/UX or ...

In answer to your second paragraph, though, personally, I'd handle that
problem using hard filesystem limits.  Create a partition (file system)
and mount it as the shared area.  The hard limit 'quota' is the size of
the file system.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg              Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195