Subject: Error Messages

From: Antonio Ferri <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 09:28:40 +0400

Hi,

Please, I need to know as it is the meaning of these messages of error
and that I must make to correct them:

Mar 21 03:10:47 ftp01 ftpd[19072]: wtmp /usr/adm/wtmp No such file or
directory
Mar 21 03:10:47 ftp01 ftpd[19074]: autogroup: set group msmirror not
found

Thanks and Regards.

*******************************
*   Antonio Ferri Charbone    *
*  Administrador de Sistemas  *
*    [email-masked]     *
*    Telefono: 014-2019920    *
*******************************

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 11:48:28 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 25 Mar 1999, Antonio Ferri wrote:

For the most precise answer, you will need to provide the version of the
daemon you're running and the operating system/version you're running it
on.

> Mar 21 03:10:47 ftp01 ftpd[19072]: wtmp /usr/adm/wtmp No such file or

The location of this file is defined to the daemon in (the mess in)
src/pathnames.h

If you are running the VR updated version of wu-ftpd, there is an option
to bypass processing of this file.  The effect is that the 'last' command
will not show ftp logins.  The option is described in the ftpd manpage
privoded with the VR version.

> Mar 21 03:10:47 ftp01 ftpd[19074]: autogroup: set group msmirror not

You have an autogroup clause in your ftpaccess file which names a group
('msmirror') which does not exist on your system.  Either correct the
autogroup clause or create the group in /etc/groups

Very few sites need autogroup and even fewer use it properly.  Unless
you're positive it's what you need, the easiest solution is to remove the
autogroup clauses from your ftpaccess file.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg              Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195