Subject: Limiting number of connections by IP

From: Charles Cloughly <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 16:58:55 -0500

Is there a way to limit the number of simultaneous connections from any IP?
 I'm having problems with people dominating my machine by using all of the
available connections in their user class.  I am running
wu-2.4.2-academ[BETA-18] on a 586 Linux 2.0.36 system.
Thanks in advance.
- Charles Cloughly

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 21:03:13 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 15 Mar 1999, Charles Cloughly wrote:

> Is there a way to limit the number of simultaneous connections from
> any IP? I'm having problems with people dominating my machine by using
> all of the available connections in their user class.  I am running

This has been a requested feature for a few years now.  Currently, there
is no way to get the limit you're asking for.

I've found that most of the 'hogging' is from Netsape and IE users.  The
browsers tend to leave connections hanging until the next command, then
close it and open a new connection.  To reduce the problem here, I've set
the idle timeout **WWAAYY** down .. from the 15 minutes it was originally
to 5 minutes.  The number of simultaneous connections after this change
dropped from an average of 34 to an average of 7.  I tried lower than 5
minutes but noted it was causing problems for by-hand users.

--

Gregory A Lundberg              Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195