Subject: buffer overflow

From: "Speier, Guy J - CNF" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 08:53:47 -0800

Is this a problem with 2.8.2 Vr-14
1) BUFFER OVERFLOWS IN FTP SERVERS (02/11/1999)
CERT released an advisory concerning buffer overflows in several popular ftp
server programs-wuftpd and ProFTPD.  The buffer overflows can be exploited
by a malicious remote user to gain root access on the ftp server.  Versions
noted in the advisory include:
	wuftpd 2.4.2-academ BETA-18
	ProFTPD 1.2.Opre1
Patches are available for both versions.
The Wu-ftp program is installed by default on many popular UNIX variants
such as RedHat and Slackware.
For more information see the CERT Advisory at:

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 12:23:47 -0500 (EST)

> Is this a problem with 2.8.2 Vr-14

No.

> For more information see the CERT Advisory at:

The CERT advisory gives the dates and versions when VR and Bero were
updated to defend against this problem (both were fixed months before the
problem was identified by Netect).

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg              Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195