Subject: User restrictions...?

From: "Martin Edelius" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 23:52:51 +0100

Hi.

I've been tweaking my WU FTP config for two hours or so now and I can't
get it to do what I want. Since I'm new to the WU FTP (heck, FTP's in
general, at least on the admin side 8) I'm not sure that it can do what
I want:

Our site has a number of hosted sites, all maintained by different
users. Our html root is at /home/httpd/html and to allow our hosted
sites to be accessed via www.domain.com/hostedsite we're placing them in
/home/httpd/html/hostedsite.

So far so good. The problem is that no matter how I try I can't stop the
hosted sites managers from moving around in the directory as they
please, that is leave their site root directory. If they want to they
can just jump down to the root and all over the server. Is there a way
to prevent this?

I've been fooling around with the guestgroup entry in ftpaccess and it
stops the user from getting outside his home directory but I can't get
my FTP-client to do a proper LIST, nothing shows up. I can upload
wihtout problem though. I've tried to add ls to a number of different
directories /home/httpd/html/hostedsite/bin, /home/httpd/html/bin and
even /home/ftp/bin (where it already was btw...), but no difference.

Am I barking up the wrong tree here? Should I get us another FTP server?

All help appreciated, we'll be going on-line soon (I hope 8)

-- Martin
Unreal Nation

---

From: Marius Strom <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 17:03:03 -0600 (EST)

Does anyone know of a method to only allow a certain user to logon from
either a certain IP address or a certain addrglob specification?  (The
source machine is a non-identd based host, so tcp wrappers won't cut it in
this case)

-- 
Marius Strom - [email-masked]
Computer Geek/Telecommunications Engineering Student
Unix System Administrator, Alpha1 Internet (http://www.alpha1.net)
Texas A&M University (http://www.tamu.edu)

---

From: Rob Genovesi <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 15:18:17 -0800

Martin,

Because you are in fact "chroot"'ing to the users directory you need to
have the proper commands in place for the LIST ("ls") command to work.
Using guestgroup means that each users home directory needs to be set up as
if it were a root for an anonymous ftp (must have an /etc, /dev, etc...
with the proper bin files inside of it).

Hope this helps,

	Rob Genovesi
	[email-masked]

---

From: Bob Luckin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 99 17:24:15 CST

Martin,

> All help appreciated, we'll be going on-line soon (I hope 8)

Once FTP has chrooted to the user's home directory, it can't see the ls
command any more.  You need to put a copy of this in the bin directory
in the chrooted area; you'll also need to put any libraries the command
might require in usr/lib in the chrooted area etc...

I don't run guestgroups myself, so I can't give you more specific advice,
but there is a document describing how to do this in Kent Landfield's
WU-FTPD Resource Center at
   http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/guest-howto.html
This should explain what you need to know.

The home page for the Resource Center is http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/;
it's a good place to start looking whenever you have problems.

Good luck !

Cheers, Bob
-- 
Bob Luckin      [email-masked]      "Coder, adapt.  FTP Ada, redo C"
                                 [http://www.dhc.net/~luckin/palindromes.html]