Subject: taming realusers

From: "D. Carlos Knowlton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 16:04:37 -0600

I have a multifunction server with dozens of users, and I'd like to restrict
a user's access to only their own home directory tree (similar to anonymous,
but with full access you their own shares).  Currently, they arrive in their
respective home directories, but they can read each other's homes.  I would
like to restrict that.  Could anyone help me see how to do this?

-ck

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 17:13:30 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 4 Mar 1999, D. Carlos Knowlton wrote:

> I have a multifunction server with dozens of users, and I'd like to
> restrict a user's access to only their own home directory tree
> (similar to anonymous, but with full access you their own shares).  
> Currently, they arrive in their respective home directories, but they
> can read each other's homes.  I would like to restrict that.  Could
> anyone help me see how to do this?

Get VR16, read the man page for restricted uid/gid.  Test it carefully, I
have a report of a problem talking to Netscape and a hot-fix being tested
to solve it.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg              Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195