Subject: Re: Y2K status for WU Anon ftp

From: Bob Luckin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 99 16:45:10 CST

>Mike said :-
>> I'm new to this list so I apologize if I'm asking a question that
>> has been asked before .... but ... what is the Y2K status of the WU
>> Anonymous ftp server? What versions, if any are compliant, and what
>> versions have issues?
 
I replied :-
>As I recall, at one point there was some code which added two digits for
>the year after "19" before printing the date, but this was fixed to output
>four digits some time ago.
>
>Since the actual timing calls are standard UNIX, the values they return
>should be Y2K compliant (but you might have some fun if you're still
>sys-adminning in 2037....).
etc...

Oops.  This answer was potentially misleading.  I believe that the specific
code in wuftpd is Y2K compliant, but the date/time calls it makes go through
the operating system.  So whether the daemon is really Y2K OK depends on
the operating system on which you're running it.  If the OS date/time calls
are Y2K compliant, then the daemon should be.

Apologies to the rest of the list for my earlier response - I happen to know
that Mike's ftp server runs on a UNIX box which should be compliant, and
that knowledge was implicit in my reply.  But someone else reading my answer
could have been misled into thinking their server was OK when it might not be.

I'll go away now and let my neuron rest for a while...

Cheers, Bob
-- 
Bob Luckin      [email-masked]      "Coder, adapt.  FTP Ada, redo C"
                                 [http://www.dhc.net/~luckin/palindromes.html]

---

From: Mike Sargent <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 11:15:44 -0600 (CST)

Bob,

Thanks for the quick response! If I had known you were on this mailing
list I would have just walked upstairs and asked you :^). By the way,
is the a "primary" web site (url) that addresses wuftpd issues?

Thanks and Best regards,
Mike

-- 
                      Chance favors the prepared mind - Pasteur
   /\~ /\      O\     
 ~/\/\/  \~  +--\\\   Michael W. Sargent, Texas Instruments,Inc.
~~ ~~~~~ ~~  |  /|@   ASP System Admin Infrastructure Manager
/      \   \ !  \ \   Phone - 972.480.1133