Subject: Setting up "Guest Accounts"

From: "Tim Watson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1999 14:11:38 -0500

I'm sure most of you have been over this numerous times..... but I just
can't seem to get it to work..... not sure what I am missing.....

I'm trying to get the "Guest Account" to work the way described as in:
http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/guest-howto.html

I've followed the instructions there about 5 times..... and searched the
mailing list archives .... but nothing seems to make a difference....

No matter what I do... the user is always logged in as /home/user .....
never chrooted to /

My deticated server came set up with an anon ftp working fine.... it chroots
to /home/ftp, but
I can't figure out how to do it anywhere else.....

I've copied and linked all /bin /etc /lib dirs in /home/user to look exactly
like those in /home/ftp

And my user's home dir is /home/user/./     with a shell of /ftp/only
.......

anyone got any ideas what I might be doing wrong ??

Thanks......

Tim

---

From: "Alex Yu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1999 18:46:35 -0500

hello,

i want to move all ftp logs to like ftpd.log.  is there any way that i can
make all ftp logs to like LOCAL8?

alex

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1999 21:05:54 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 20 Mar 1999, Alex Yu wrote:

> i want to move all ftp logs to like ftpd.log.  is there any way that i
> can make all ftp logs to like LOCAL8?

Change FACILITY in src/config/config.<os> to LOG_LOCALn (where n is 0
through 7 .. there is no LOG_LOCAL8 on most systems, but if yours has one,
use it).

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg              Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1999 21:07:12 -0500 (EST)

If the guest HOWTO doesn't help, check out the example at
  ftp://ftp.vr.net/pub/wu-ftpd/examples/

--

---

From: Enric Staromiejski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 11:48:01 +0100

I've been setting up a guest-remote ftp on two different linux boxes
following
the document  you quote (the best one I found about this subject, among
nearly a
dozen of them). On the first machine everything worked fine after fixing
a
couple of minor problems (as discovering that under Suse 5.3 'ldd' was
not
telling me all the truth: i had to hard-link two libraries that already
were
sym-links to other two libraries under /lib). On the second machine,
however,
nothing worked! I obtained  the same behavior that you describe in your
e-mail.
I solved the problem comparing the 'ftpaccess' files on both machine: I
had
forgotten these two last lines on the second machine (the one that
didn't work
proprely):

path-filter guest    /etc/pathmsg    ^[-A-Za-z0-9_\.]*$ ^\. ^-
guestgroup invitado

(invitado (guest in spanish) is the name of the remote guest-loggers)

Hope all this bla-bla will be of any help!