Subject: Can't login

From: Bruce McCormick <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 08:13:32 -0400 (EDT)

I'm trying to upgrade my ftpd from 2.4.2-Beta16 to 2.4.2-VR16 under HPUX
10.20. Everything seems to check out ok however no users can login. I'm
not getting "class" errors in my log, the banner displays fine, just can't
login any users. Any ideas?

Thanks 

Bruce McCormick

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 09:19:03 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 30 Mar 1999, Bruce McCormick wrote:

> I'm trying to upgrade my ftpd from 2.4.2-Beta16 to 2.4.2-VR16 under
> HPUX 10.20. Everything seems to check out ok however no users can
> login. I'm not getting "class" errors in my log, the banner displays
> fine, just can't login any users. Any ideas?

check the syntax of your class statements in your ftpaccess file.  The VR
version is a bit more critical of subtle errors.  For instance, where the
following would workunder an academ version (like the beta-16 you were
running), it won't work under a VR version:

class users real,guest,anonymous 10.*

instead, you'll need to be a bit more specific:

class users real,guest,anonymous 10.*.*.*

or, using netmasks:

class user real,guest,anonymous 10.0.0.0:255.0.0.0

or, using CIDR (which I recommend):

class user real,guest,anonymous 10.0.0.0/8

the problem was, under some older versions of the daemon, 10.* would match
too much .. like 10.hacker-site.example.com

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg              Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195