Subject: Re: newest version of wu-ftpd for AIX 4.3.2?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 16:45:06 -0500

Greg,

Thanks for the information.  I'll be sure to review the info since it appears
that my security folks are under the impression that whatever's wrong with beta
15 is fixed with the newest release.

I was able to compile beta 18, vr 15 and the bug went away.  Thanks to those who
sent suggestions.

Matt Newton
IBM Global Services
Center for Scalable Computing Solutions
T.J. Watson Research Center

Gregory A Lundberg <"lundberg+wuftpd"@vr.net> on 03/30/99 04:00:30 PM

To:   Matthew Newton/Watson/IBM
cc:   [email-masked]
Subject:  Re: newest version of wu-ftpd for AIX 4.3.2?

On Tue, 30 Mar 1999 [email-masked] wrote:

> I'm trying to run the most recent version of wu-ftpd (or at least more
> recent than beta 15, since according to the security folks at my site
> this has a hole) on AIX 4.3.2.

The security holes you were told about were NOT fixed by beta-18.  I have
no idea how the AIX problem was fixed, btw.

To review the security information yourself, read

  CERT Advisory CA-99.03 - FTP-Buffer-Overflows
  http://www.cert.org/advisories/CA-99-03-FTP-Buffer-Overflows.html

The location of the latest version of wu-ftpd can be found in the
directory

      ftp://ftp.vr.net/pub/wu-ftpd/

wu-ftpd Resource Center:  http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/
wu-ftpd FAQ:              http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html
wu-ftpd list archive:     http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/mail-archive/

--

Gregory A Lundberg              Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195