Subject: ftpcount/ftpwho

From: "Roeland Th. Jansen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 01:14:27 +0000 (GMT)

hi *,

both ftpcount and ftpwho don't show anyting if someone is logged in with
FTP. the version used is the latest Version wu-2.4.2-academ (1) with VR
patches IIRC.

does anyone have an idea ? 

-- 
Grobbebol's Home                       |  Don't give in to spammers.   -o)
MCSE: Must Consult Someone Experienced | Use your real e-mail address   /\
Linux 2.2.2 on an i586/64 MB           |        on Usenet.             _\_v

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 20:57:38 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 4 Mar 1999, Roeland Th. Jansen wrote:

> both ftpcount and ftpwho don't show anyting if someone is logged in
> with FTP. the version used is the latest Version wu-2.4.2-academ (1)
> with VR patches IIRC.
> 

beta-18-VR13 or later?

doesn't really matter.  run ckconfig and see if the files are where the
programs expect them.  check permissions and ownerships of the ftpaccess
and PID files.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg              Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195

---

From: "Roeland Th. Jansen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 10:58:01 +0000 (GMT)

> beta-18-VR13 or later?

the latest I found. I'll try vr16 for a start to see if that fixes anything.

> programs expect them.  check permissions and ownerships of the ftpaccess

ckconfig tells me all is fine. strace told me that the ftp.pids* files
weren't found so I changed that but still no dice.

anyways, let's see what vr16 does and I'll recheck.
-- 
Grobbebol's Home                       |  Don't give in to spammers.   -o)
MCSE: Must Consult Someone Experienced | Use your real e-mail address   /\
Linux 2.2.2 on an i586/64 MB           |        on Usenet.             _\_v

---

From: "Roeland Th. Jansen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 11:57:22 +0000 (GMT)

> > programs expect them.  check permissions and ownerships of the ftpaccess

ftpaccess hasn't been changed since 1996 here. note that I had a few
ftp-pid* files that didn't look too recent. I killed them but there are no
new ones created when I start wu-ftpd via inetd (and an incoming ftp of
course)

> anyways, let's see what vr16 does and I'll recheck.

and vr16 also doesn't help me.

it looks strange to me why the PID files aren't generated.

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 07:22:50 -0500 (EST)

> and vr16 also doesn't help me.

I'd be amazed if it had.  The few fixes Stan put in are mainly from
code-reads or porting to specific platforms.

> it looks strange to me why the PID files aren't generated.

- Verify you're running the version you think you are.
- Run strings on the daemon to verify it's using the directory it should
  be:  strings ftpd | grep '\.pid'
- Check the daemon has permission to write to them.  The directory
  should be local (not NFS).

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg              Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195

---

From: "Roeland Th. Jansen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1999 11:02:29 +0000 (GMT)

> - Verify you're running the version you think you are.

I am -- there is only one ftpd on the system and I double checked it with
'ftp' -- it shows the version I run.

220 grobbebol FTP server (Version wu-2.4.2-VR16(1) Thu Mar 4 11:00:03 GMT
1999) ready.

can't be the problem :-)

>   be:  strings ftpd | grep '\.pid'

/var/run/ftpd.pid
/var/run/ftp.pids-%s

>   should be local (not NFS).

and this is the part where I got lost. in /var :

drwxr-xr-x   2 root     root         2048 Mar  5 09:48 run/

but no ftpd.pid* files in /var/run. while I am logged in (e.g. ftpd runs)
I started an updatedb & and checked with locate that these files really are
not on my system.

ftpwho (straced) shows (snipped for the reevant parts)

open("/var/run/ftp.pids-local", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or
directory)

and 

open("/var/run/ftp.pids-remote", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or
directory)

so the problem probably is the generation of the files. what's next..

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1999 07:51:36 -0500 (EST)

> so the problem probably is the generation of the files. what's next..

The daemon isn't creating them.  There's a compile-time option to disable
them (in config.h), make sure it's not selected.  Watch your syslogs when
the daemon starts, are any messages logged?  Is /var or /var/run mounted
read-only or NFS mounted?  If all else fails, crack into the source and
add a syslog message where the daemon thinks it's created the files; this
will ensure you the code is being reached (I do a message before showing
the parms and one after showing the return code.  If you don't know how,
email me privately and I'll send over a debuging patch)

--

---

From: "Roeland Th. Jansen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1999 12:58:13 +0000 (GMT)

> them (in config.h), make sure it's not selected.  Watch your syslogs when

I haven't edited config.h at all. anyways, I'll check if that is causing the
problems. [checked] -- nothing found. 

> the daemon starts, are any messages logged?  Is /var or /var/run mounted

Mar  3 23:57:12 grobbebol wu.ftpd[15291]: connect from 194.109.14.68

> read-only or NFS mounted?  If all else fails, crack into the source and

no, no NFS, /var/run is local on the machine and all other processes that
require the access, like for instance gpm. inetd etc all write to it.

srwxrwxrwx   1 root     root            0 Mar  5 12:27 gpmctl=
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root            5 Mar  5 12:27 gpmpid
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root            3 Mar  5 11:44 inetd.pid
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root            3 Mar  5 11:44 klogd.pid
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root            3 Mar  5 11:44 named.pid
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root           32 Mar  5 11:44 sendmail.pid
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root            3 Mar  5 11:44 syslogd.pid
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root          728 Mar  5 12:40 utmp