Subject: Using local passwd files under Solaris

From: "Scott Parmenter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 1999 12:22:33 -0800

Hi,

Under Trusted Solaris 2.X (which is derived from Solaris 2.X) I had been
unable to get wu-ftpd to get the correct passwd entries after a user had
been chrooted, even though my file structure layout was correct.  It
turns out that nscd (name service cache daemon) was causing me
problems.  There is a delay factor called positive-time-to-live which
determines how long successful hits stay in the cache.  The default is
10 minutes.  So, when a guest user logged in, for the next 10 minutes,
all passwd inquiries were being directed to the cached entry.  This
caused problems when the ftp server tried to chdir() to the user's home
directory after the chroot() had been performed.

To solve this, I added the line
    enable-cache    passwd    no
to /etc/nscd.conf and commented out all other references to passwd
caching.  Next I issued "nscd -f /etc/nscd.conf" (as root) to tell nscd
to update its configuration followed by "nscd -g" to verify the change
in policy.  After this, my guest logins were successful with VR15 using
the guest-root/restricted-uid combination. (Which is really cool, by the
way! :-)

Hope this helps,
Scott