Subject: problem with logging in

From: "Jhestyr" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 14:45:59 -0500

when you connect it says:
socket connected. waiting for welcome message
and then it sits there for like 4 or 5 minutes, and then finally logs you in
any clues what could be causing this?

--
Jhestyr
Dovie' se Tovya Andi
------------------------------------

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 14:59:57 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 25 Mar 1999, Jhestyr wrote:

> socket connected. waiting for welcome message and then it sits there
> for like 4 or 5 minutes, and then finally logs you in any clues what
> could be causing this?

Off the top of my head, without knowing which version you're running or
what system you're running it on, I'd guess DNS latency or AUTH/IDENT
latency.

If it's just network latency, from oneor two sites, I'd say live with it.

The VR upgrades have a compile-time option to completely disable DNS and
all the security features which come along with it.

The VR upgrades enable AUTH/IDENT by default.  There's a compile-time
option to disable it.

The best solution for AUTH/IDENT, however, since you're probably testing
from you localhost is to run a idented which talks the talk.  Latency
cannot occur if you're not running one at all (unless you're a Windows
box, but then you got worse problems), so someone's there and he ain't
speaking AUTH.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg              Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195