Subject: Solaris 7 Crashes

From: Bret Sanders <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 09:11:17 -0800

I know this isn't a Solaris Sys-admin list, but maybe someone else has
seen this before I track it down.

I ran a wu-ftpd server for several months with few problems. I decided to
upgrade to Solaris 7 and VR14, and now my TWO servers crash at random
times, about once a night. I'm now on VR15, and seeing the same thing. No
strange errors in the syslog, just normal ftp messages, and then a reboot.

Mar  1 22:07:14 classic unix: panic[cpu0]/thread=2a100057d60: mi_timer:
bad tim
value: -9223372036854775808

I have an average of about 300 users logged into each at any one time, so
they're pretty busy. These are cleanly installed with Solaris 7, and there
is nothing else running on them besides the basics.

-- 
Bret Sanders
Technical Account Manager
Frontier GlobalCenter
[email-masked]

---

From: John-Paul Pagano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 12:20:08 -0500

>is nothing else running on them besides the basics.

Do you have an active SCSI chain on this machine?  Sometimes, SCSI problems
can cause weird, spontaneous reboots.

--
John-Paul Pagano
Unix Systems Administrator
Voice: (212) 208-0828
Fax: (212) 825-1040

---

From: Chad Price <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 12:10:12 -0600

>can cause weird, spontaneous reboots.

They do on a regular basis if there any problems, flakey cables, flakey
connections, actual motherboard SCSI problems, etc.  I've been running Suns
for several years, and in my experience, they do not crash spontaneously
unless the hardware flakes out underneath them. (This is not to say it
can't happen, I'm sure it does, but my experience does not include those
kinds of crashes.)

Bottom line: look at the hardware.

Chad

Chad Price
Systems Manager
University of Nebraska Medical Center
600 S 42nd St
Omaha, NE 68506-6495
[email-masked]
(402) 559-9527 
(402) 559-4077 (FAX)

---

From: "Robertson, Rocke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 13:11:39 -0500

If you dont have Sunservice, and dont want to drive yourself crazy going over
the man page for adb, get yourself the Sun document ID 1179. This document
talks  you through core file analisys. Enable savecore on your systems, and
you can go through the core file, and  you will be able to tell if its a
faulty piece of hardware or sofware unless its an incredibly weird problem..

~rocker

--
Rocke Robertson
PWGSC/GTIS
(613)991-2604
[email-masked]