Subject: running multiple instances of wu...

From: Denise Garner <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 10:20:23 -0500

Is it possible to run multiple instances of wu on a multi-interfaced server?
I need to restrict access by allowing only some users to log in on host Xa
and others to log into host Xb where X is one server and a&b are the two
different instances (with different IP's and hostnames), while not allowing
either group to log into each other's instance... Any ideas?

Denise Garner
-----------------------------
While a transcendent vocabulary is laudable, one must be eternally careful
so that the calculated objective of communication does not become ensconced
in obscurity.  In other words, eschew obfuscation.

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 10:50:12 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 23 Mar 1999, Denise Garner wrote:

> Is it possible to run multiple instances of wu on a multi-interfaced
> server? I need to restrict access by allowing only some users to log
> in on host Xa and others to log into host Xb where X is one server and
> a&b are the two different instances (with different IP's and
> hostnames), while not allowing either group to log into each other's
> instance... Any ideas?

Easiest solution for multihoming: run BeroFTPD 1.3.4

On my mainline servers I run VR16 and restrict guests to specific servers.
This allows me enough of what you're asking for (security-wise) without
having to run multiple daemons or switch to BeroFTP.

I run multiple instances here running VR16 as a standalone daemon, but
only in limited cases.  BeroFTPD is much easier to setup and manage in
this type environment, though.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg              Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195