Subject: Strange filenames...

From: Richard Allen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 11:04:23 +0000

Is there any way to get wu-ftpd (beta 18) to allow spaces and other
wierd characters Crappy M$ OS-lookalikes allow in filenames during an
upload ?

Currently uploading "My presentation.ppt" gives a permission denyed error.

When explaining to users that some characters shouldnt be used in filenames
I often get "Ahh..  you're running Unix" in a sympothetic voice :)

-- 
Rikki.         --  HP Technical Support.
Bell Labs Unix --  Reach out and grep someone.
Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly.
"One World, One Web, One Program" - Microsoft Promotional Ad
"Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Fuhrer" - Adolf Hitler

---

From: Alex Yu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 1999 08:01:55 -0500

>Currently uploading "My presentation.ppt" gives a permission denyed error.

I have no problem with long file names.  I can upload Microsoft and Mac
long file names styles.

Best Regards,

Alex Yu
PGP Fingerprint: 1F23 3045 9F92 E856 3967  ACB3 5354 2CC0 7AA7 19FA
  
"What should you do when you see an 
endangered animal that is eating an endangered 
plant?"  
                                 -- George Carlin

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 09:43:33 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 3 Mar 1999, Richard Allen wrote:

> When explaining to users that some characters shouldnt be used in
> filenames I often get "Ahh..  you're running Unix" in a sympothetic
> voice :)

Long filenames shouldn't be a problem.

Spaces in filenames, however, are not allowed by the pathfilter in most
ftpaccess files.  The daemon's syntax for pathfilter makes it impossible
to specify spaces on the line.

There's a workarround in the VR version which will work if you're running
Linux.

Non-Linux systems should be able to get it to work if they install the GNU
regex package.  If you get it working on a non-Linux system, I'd be
interested in instructions/patches to share your results with others.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg              Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195