Subject: wu-ftpd, BeroFTP, LundbergFTPD and Y2K

From: Rovert John F DLVA <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 08:42:26 -0500

Greetings

  Just a question concerning Y2K compliance...

  Are wu-ftpd 2.4.2, BeroFTPD 1.2.x/1.3.x  and  wu-ftpd-vr
  Y2K compliant?

  We plan on using one of these on the following Operating Systems

  SunOS  4.1.3
  Solaris  5.5.1
  Solaris  5.6
   IRIX     6.x
   OSF     3.x
   OSF     4.x 

Please indicate which of the below are and are not Y2K ready

  Product          Version              Y2K Ready        Investigating
Unknown

  wu-ftpd            2.4.2 
  BeroFTPD       1.2.x
  BeroFTPD       1.3.x
  wu-ftpd-vr15     2.4.2b18VR15
  wu-ftpd-vr16     2.4.2VR16

  Thanks

John F. Rovert
NSWC 
[email-masked]

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 09:33:42 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 4 Mar 1999, Rovert John F DLVA wrote:

> Are wu-ftpd 2.4.2, BeroFTPD 1.2.x/1.3.x and wu-ftpd-vr Y2K compliant?
> 

The 'technically correct' answer to your question is, "That's for you to
decide."  Especially considering the email addressess you sent this to,
nobody knows what what "Y2K complliant" means for any organization asking
the question; you'll have to judge based on your internal definition and
requirements.

There are no _known_ issues having to do with dates in any of the server
version you listed above.  The license terms for the daemon leave the risk
for all errors (known or unknown) with you .. basically saying, if it
breaks, you own both pieces.

The extent of the past changes which were made as a result of another
organization's "Y2K" effort was a change made quite a while ago(somewhere
between 2.4.2-beta-13 and 2.4.2-beta-16) which changed an FTP response for
the client requesting the last-changed date for a file (STAT <file>
command) from using "19%02d" to using "%04d".  This change was made, not
for the daemon, but to allow other applications (like mirror) to be able
to handle the dates correctly.

Internally, the daemon (all versions, ever) uses internal Unix date/time
values for what little it needs them for (which isn't much, if any; FTP is
not a date/time dependant protocol).  So the issue isn't with the year
2000, it's 2037.  (Not that it matters for the daemon since your kernel
will probably pack it in at the end of the Unix Epoch well before any
application software has a chance to fail. :P)

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg              Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195

---

From: Bernhard Rosenkraenzer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1999 00:44:19 +0100 (CET)

>   Are wu-ftpd 2.4.2, BeroFTPD 1.2.x/1.3.x  and  wu-ftpd-vr

None of them has any date/time handling routines themselves, so the answer
is they're as Y2K compliant as your OS.

I've tested BeroFTPD (both 1.2.4 and 1.3.4) on a Linux machine with a
system clock set to February 2000 to make sure there are no problems;
There shouldn't be any problems with the other versions either.

LLaP
bero

-- 
Windows 98 supports real multitasking - it can boot and crash simultaneously.
***
Anyone sending unwanted advertising e-mail to this address will be charged
$25 for network traffic and computing time. By extracting my address from
this message or its header, you agree to these terms.