Subject: delete dirs

From: Rob Genovesi <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 11:35:31 -0800

Is there a way to allow users to delete non-empty directories?  Currently a
directory must be completely empty before it can be removed.  Under our
previous ftp server (stock Solaris ftpd) an ftp client such as WS-FTP could
remove a non-empty directory.

I am assuming, of course, that the ftp user has proper permissions to the
directory and all files within.

Current using: Version wu-2.4.2-academ[BETA-18-VR12](1)
On: Sun Solaris 2.5.1

Thanks,

	Rob Genovesi
	[email-masked]

---

From: Marius Strom <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 13:41:38 -0600 (EST)

I believe that WU-FTPD is a "smart" client in the fact that it will go
into that directory and trash the files and any subdirectories in the same
fashion before deleting the directory specified.

-- 
Marius Strom - [email-masked]
Computer Geek/Telecommunications Engineering Student
Unix System Administrator, Alpha1 Internet (http://www.alpha1.net)
Texas A&M University (http://www.tamu.edu)

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 14:43:17 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 16 Mar 1999, Rob Genovesi wrote:

> Is there a way to allow users to delete non-empty directories?  
> Currently a directory must be completely empty before it can be
> removed.  Under our previous ftp server (stock Solaris ftpd) an ftp
> client such as WS-FTP could remove a non-empty directory.

No.

Retest to ensure the client was truely issuing a single DELE command,
naming the non-empty directory.  If so, submmit the bug report to Sun so
they can get it fixed in a future version.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg              Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195

---

From: Rob Genovesi <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 12:13:39 -0800

>they can get it fixed in a future version.

This outta teach me to test more thouroughly before crying wolf.  It is a
client side issue (of course, you all knew that already).  WS-FTP does not
allow deletion of a non-empty directory but Fetch (Mac) does, but
recursively remove the contents of the directory then deleting the
directory itself.

Thanks to all for the quick response.

-R