Subject: Can't build 2.4.2-vr16 on hp-ux 10.20

From: Kirke Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 14:51:51 -0800

Sadly, after subscribing to this list for several years, reading the web
FAQ, etc, I *still* can't compile this product.  ;-{    I really wish there
were a precompiled HP binary.....  Any assistance would be greatly
appreciated, as we are painfully aware of the security vulnerabilities!!

We have the following HP ansi C compiler installed:

B3901BA     B.10.20.07     HP C/ANSI C Developer's Bundle for HP-UX 10.20
(S800)

The initial part of the build attempt looks like this:

============

/opt/wuftp/wu-ftpd-2.4.2-vr16 => date; ./build hpx
Tue Mar 16 14:36:38 PST 1999
make args are :
make opts are :

Copying Makefiles.

Linking src/config.h

Making support library.
        cc -Aa -D_POSIX_SOURCE -O   -c authuser.c
cc: "authuser.c", line 99: error 1574: Unknown size for "sa".
cc: "authuser.c", line 106: error 1594: The sizeof operator cannot be
applied to types with unknown size.
cc: "authuser.c", line 109: error 1530: Undefined struct or union.
cc: "authuser.c", line 109: error 1588: "AF_INET" undefined.
cc: "authuser.c", line 109: error 1563: Expression in if must be scalar.
cc: "authuser.c", line 110: error 1588: "EAFNOSUPPORT" undefined.
cc: "authuser.c", line 113: error 1530: Undefined struct or union.
cc: "authuser.c", line 114: error 1594: The sizeof operator cannot be
applied to types with unknown size.
cc: "authuser.c", line 117: error 1530: Undefined struct or union.
cc: "authuser.c", line 118: error 1530: Undefined struct or union.
cc: "authuser.c", line 118: error 1529: Cannot select field of non-structure.
cc: "authuser.c", line 136: error 1574: Unknown size for "sa".
cc: "authuser.c", line 147: error 1588: "AF_INET" undefined.
cc: "authuser.c", line 147: error 1588: "SOCK_STREAM" undefined.
cc: "authuser.c", line 149: error 1588: "SOL_SOCKET" undefined.
cc: "authuser.c", line 149: error 1588: "SO_REUSEADDR" undefined.
cc: "authuser.c", line 150: error 1549: Modifiable lvalue required for
assignment operator.
cc: "authuser.c", line 151: error 1530: Undefined struct or union.
cc: "authuser.c", line 152: error 1594: The sizeof operator cannot be
applied to types with unknown size.
cc: "authuser.c", line 153: error 1530: Undefined struct or union.
cc: "authuser.c", line 154: error 1530: Undefined struct or union.
cc: "authuser.c", line 155: error 1530: Undefined struct or union.
cc: "authuser.c", line 155: error 1529: Cannot select field of non-structure.
cc: "authuser.c", line 156: error 1594: The sizeof operator cannot be
applied to types with unknown size.
*** Error exit code 1

Stop.

============

I noted the comments at http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html#QA12
about cc complaints.  I don't know if these errors consitute "strunames,
typenames,  or modenames", but if so, the suggestion to "install
support/ftp.h as /usr/include/arpa/ftp.h" is also unfortunately something I
do not understand how to do. ;-{

Thanks again for any assistance.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Kirke Johnson                               Internet: [email-masked]
Internet Specialist, ITS , Sylvania Campus      http://www.pcc.edu/
Portland Community College, Portland, OR, USA     (503) 977-4368

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 20:09:53 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 16 Mar 1999, Kirke Johnson wrote:

> FAQ, etc, I *still* can't compile this product.  ;-{    

Mia Culpa.  I had the patch submitted, but lost it before rolling VR16.
VR17 should compile without problems on HP/UX .. at least so my testers
tell me.

> I really wish there were a precompiled HP binary.....

As do I.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg              Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195

---

From: Michael Schmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 07:58:52 +0100 (MET)

> From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Re: Can't build 2.4.2-vr16 on hp-ux 10.20
> 

Please excuse my stupid ;-) question or if I'm missing a point,
but as above you are saying that testers tell you that it compiles 
without problems on HPUX where is the problem of providing 
precompiled binaries for HPUX?

Have a nice day
Michael

-- 
                 Michael  Schmidt
              [email-masked]
Mirror of:                              SAMBA:
IPFilter, Ghostscript                   Server for Win95,
Linux-HOWTO                             WinNT, LANManager

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 10:55:36 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 17 Mar 1999, Michael Schmidt wrote:

> Please excuse my stupid ;-) question or if I'm missing a point, but as
> above you are saying that testers tell you that it compiles without
> problems on HPUX where is the problem of providing precompiled
> binaries for HPUX?

Testing on your own machine is a different level of commitment/effort than
setting out to build a binary every month when a new VR update comes out.

I appreciate all the help I get and try to impose as little as possible on
the people who help me.  While I would personally like pre-built binaries
for HP/UX because they would make things easier on some users, I leave the
choice up to those who have been assisting me and will not question their
decision.

-- 

At some point, someone who uses <platform> will decide that they would
like to keep current with the VR version, that there is a need for
pre-built binaries for <platform>, and that they would like to make the
commitment to provide those binaries.

My personal feelings about binaries, even from vendors, are they are good
as diagnostic aids, but a conscientious administrator will view them with
a great deal of skeptisism if not complete distrust.  While I'll use
pre-built binaries from vendors for most of my command-shell functions, I
*never* use a pre-built kernel or daemon on *any* production machine .. I
want to know every feature chosen and configuration option in effect on
anything communicating directly with the Internet.  I've found that I
often disagree with the default choices, and that I usually end up
tweaking the source code to suit my personal requirements.

--

---

From: Michael Schmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 15:09:50 +0100 (MET)

> > I really wish there were a precompiled HP binary.....

+++
and in an message later than the above quoted one Gregory also wrote:
+++

> choice up to those who have been assisting me and will not question their

Hello to all,

among other systems we are also running HPUX-10.20, so I have built
precompiled binaries for HPUX for those users who are looking for them.
I have placed these precompiled binaries on our FTP server,
you may find these at:
ftp://ftp.fh-koblenz.de/pub/Precompiled-Binaries/HPUX-10.20/wu-ftpd/

If there is a need for precompiled versions of wu-ftpd older than 
those placed at our above URL than feel free to drop me a note.
If you get no answer within a short time then feel free to drop
me a further note that you can be sure I got the regarding message.

In case there is no need for the above URL then do not hesitate 
to tell me if I should remove it.

I appreciate your feedback.

Have a nice day
Michael