Subject: Possible answer for Solaris MAXSYMLINKS problem.

From: Leif Ericksen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 13:18:39 -0600

OK I played around with my servers and this is what I have found...
I have a Virtual server in the password file I have
/export/htdocs/server/./ 
In /export/htdocs/server WHEN I HAVE THE /etc, /usr/lib, /dev, /bin
LOCATED there it works great.  However, if ANY of the files are symbolic
links (ln -s) I get the following error:
553 Could not determine cwdir: Number of symbolic links encountered
during path name traversal exceeds MAXSYMLINKS.
226 Transfer complete.

Now as long as I did not miss anything it looks like solaris does not
like to have symbolic links.  NOW I did not try making the home
directory
/export/home/htdocs and force the chroot directory to be
/export/htdocs/server  but that may eliminate the problem.  As it is
solaris does not seem to like the symbolic links to the required files. 
It may like the symlink to libintl.so.1  because the documetns say
so...  But I would have to test it out first.

		Just a few ideas and pointers from somebody that had time to play.... 
I love being the  Sys admin for a SMALL company..

It give you more time to play!

						--Leif Ericksen
						[email-masked]