Subject: Re: User can not disconnect

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 15:41:57 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 29 Mar 1999,  M. Nour wrote:

> Included is the log file for you to look at it (use notepad).

I think you forgot the log file.  Send it over privately.  Also, notepad
no work on Unix but I can deal with that.

> Log file does not show any error message.  At the same time, I don't
> see usual "Goodbye" reply from the server which the application is
> waiting for.

> Do you have any idea why this user is not able to disconnect?

Probably because the author of the control you're using didn't read the
RFC.  Or at least they didn't implement what they read.

Redesign your application to quit immedeately after it's don and not wait
for the closing messages.  Rudely walking away in the middle of the
conversation is the way your control author expects you to behave.

BTW, parsing the FTP responses is a Bad Idea (tm) unless you _carefully_
read the RFC to see which messages have specified formats after the
response code.  When you're looking for "Goodbye" what you need to say is:
"I sent QUIT and I'm waiting for a 200-series response."

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg              Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195

---

From: Jim Davis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 16:25:57 -0700 (MST)

Once upon a time our anonymous ftp archive lived on cs.arizona.edu. Then
it moved to ftp.cs.arizona.edu.  Since then I've been running tcpwrapper
banners on the old system to tell people to go to ftp.cs.arizona.edu, but
that doesn't help if they point 'n click on ftp://cs.arizona.edu/whatever
instead of going through the front door first.  I've fiddled around with
netcat, trying to get it to bounce connections to the right place
automatically, but I couldn't figure out the right incantation to get both
the data and command streams forwarded correctly.  Anyone with a slick
solution to moving an ftp server?  I'd like to run the bare minimum on the
old machine, ftp-wise.