Subject: Chroot on Solaris 2.5.1

From: "Maurice Hollingsworth" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 16:42:55 -0700

Given the lack of success I was having with Beta18 and chroot, I opted
to download the source for 2.4.2-v16, compile it and run it on our Sparc
Solaris 2.5.1 box.

2.4.2-v16 runs fine using the same configuration files (with
modification to inetd.conf), but I now am unable to do a 'ls'.  I have
copied /bin/ls to ~ftpuser/bin/ls.  I've copied all of the libraries
associated with ls (using ldd) across to ~ftpuser/usr/lib. I've created
a ~/ftpuser/dev directory and put a link back to /dev/tcp and /dev/zero.

However, I get the following error message as I try to do an 'ls' once
I've FTP'd into the host:
     425 Can't create data socket (0.0.0.0,20): Number of symbolic links
encountered during path
name traversal exceeds MAXSYMLINKS.

Any guidance is appreciated.

Sincerely,

Maurice Hollingsworth

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 20:39:41 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 25 Mar 1999, Maurice Hollingsworth wrote:

>      425 Can't create data socket (0.0.0.0,20): Number of symbolic
> links encountered during path name traversal exceeds MAXSYMLINKS.

Sounds like a circular symlink.  You can make one, for instance, with the
commands:
  mkdir circular
  ln -s circular/.. circular/link
then ls -alRL the puppy.  Keep a finger on Ctrl-C to kill the command!

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg              Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195

---

From: "Maurice Hollingsworth" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 15:11:38 -0700

First, thank you to all who provided advisement on chroot with Solaris 2.5.1.

As a point of reference, and as suggested by others,  using links to
~ftpuser/dev/tcp and ~ftpuser/dev/zero fails to work under Solaris 2.5.1.
Using the mknod command (i.e. mknod zero c 13 12, then mknod tcp c 11 42 )
solved the problem.

Sincerely,

Maurice Hollingsworth