Subject: wu-ftpd on Solaris 2.5.1 vs 2.6

From: "Maurice Hollingsworth" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 12:16:13 -0700

I have installed wu-ftpd on our Solaris 2.6 test box. I now need to move
it to a production box using 2.5.1. Can I simply move the object code or
must I recompile it for 2.5.1?

Thank you in advance.

Maurice Hollingsworth

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 14:28:05 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 23 Mar 1999, Maurice Hollingsworth wrote:

> I have installed wu-ftpd on our Solaris 2.6 test box. I now need to
> move it to a production box using 2.5.1. Can I simply move the object
> code or must I recompile it for 2.5.1?

Recompile.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg              Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195

---

From: Chad Price <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 15:23:18 -0600

>> code or must I recompile it for 2.5.1?

Maybe not strictly speaking required.  I just moved from Solaris 2.4 to 7
and am still using the object from 2.4.  Seems to work fine except for
logging - syslog may have changed some and I'm not getting logging.  I'm
planning on recompiling to test that, but the file transfer part of it
seems to work fine so far.

Chad

Chad Price
Systems Manager
University of Nebraska Medical Center
600 S 42nd St
Omaha, NE 68506-6495
[email-masked]
(402) 559-9527 
(402) 559-4077 (FAX)

---

From: Leif Ericksen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 15:46:34 -0600

> seems to work fine so far.
What you state would be great if the user was going from 2.5.1 to 2.6. 
However, they are going from 2.6 to 2.5.1 therefore it is best off if
they recompile. 
It may very well work if they try running the 2.6 binaruies on the 2.5.1
box but they should recompile to be safe.  Whenver I change UNIX revs I
try to
recompile.  I have a few boxes I admin 2.6 at home, 2.5, 2.5.1, 2.6, 2.7
at the office and if I take software like wu-ftp, amanda whatever I
always recompile when I go from one system to the other.  Once you
figure out how to compile it is not that hard to do it on the other
system.

Just my how I do things.

				-- Leif Ericksen
					[email-masked]

---

From: Chad Price <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 16:30:21 -0600

At 03:46 PM 3/23/1999 -0600, Leif Ericksen wrote:
....
>figure out how to compile it is not that hard to do it on the other

My point is: try it and see.  It may work.  It may not.  Your milage may vary.

Chad

Chad Price
Systems Manager