Subject: chroot

From: ryanm <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 15:07:12 -0500

I followed all the chroot() instructions and it seems to be working 
other than a ls doesn't list out any of the files that exist in the
user's home directory. I have copied over /bin/ls and it is in ~/bin/ls
and all the rights and dir's exist. I have the /etc/passwd,/etc/group 
and /etc/ftpaccess files setup right. Any known reasons why this occurs?

Thanks in advance,

Ryan

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 15:21:33 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 26 Mar 1999, ryanm wrote:

> user's home directory. I have copied over /bin/ls and it is in
> ~/bin/ls and all the rights and dir's exist. I have the
> /etc/passwd,/etc/group and /etc/ftpaccess files setup right. Any known
> reasons why this occurs?

The FAQ covers a number of the possible reasons and includes a test using
the chroot command for most of them.

One reason a lot of people have problems is the chroot is to the part of
/etc/passwd homedirectory to the LEFT of /./ and that's where bin dev etc
and lib need to go.  ~/bin/ls is right if /etc/passwd has no /./ for the
guest user or has /./ at the very end.

The location of the latest version of wu-ftpd can be found in the 
directory
 
      ftp://ftp.vr.net/pub/wu-ftpd/
 
wu-ftpd Resource Center:  http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/
wu-ftpd FAQ:              http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html
wu-ftpd list archive:     http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/mail-archive/

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg              Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195