Subject: Problems with ownership of files in guest accounts

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 12:15:16 -0500

We are trying to setup a situation using wu-ftp-2.4.2 as follows:

* guest accounts are chrooted, readable and writeable by owners.
* guests can only read their own directory, not any neighboring ones.
	(should get this from chroot)
* a special local account ("xfer") can read and write all guest directories,
  to retrieve files that were uploaded to guest accounts, put files in 
  guest accounts for downloading.
* local account (xfer) uses scp (ssh version of rcp) to get/put files - they
  are actually scp'd to/from a remote account to the xfer account.

I tried giving guest dirs xfer's group ownership, which was different than the
guest account group, but then when xfer writes a file in a guest account, it
gets xfer's total ownership, and guest account can't access it via uid or gid.

Anyone out there who can explain how a local account, accessed remotely,
can put files in guest accounts such that guests can read files *AND* 
overwrite them???

TIA...

-- 
Judith Reed
[email-masked]
(315) 453-2912 x335

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 12:24:34 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 30 Mar 1999 [email-masked] wrote:

> I tried giving guest dirs xfer's group ownership, which was different
> than the guest account group, but then when xfer writes a file in a
> guest account, it gets xfer's total ownership, and guest account can't
> access it via uid or gid.
> 
> Anyone out there who can explain how a local account, accessed
> remotely, can put files in guest accounts such that guests can read
> files *AND* overwrite them???

scp will create the file on the target with the uid/gid from /etc/passwd
for the username on the target.

when I do what you're talking about here, I scp the files into my home,
then ssh in to put them into the right place.  before I mv, I chgrp the
file and check the permissions.

on one system, I had a need to it to be completely done with scp.  I
hacked the scp source to do the chgrp and chmod for me.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg              Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195