Subject: Problem with WU-FTPd...

From: Viesturs Klive <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 11:05:21 +0200

Hi :-)

I have 3 problems... :-(

	I'm useing WU-FTPd - Version wu-2.4.2-academ (1) ... anonymous & real
users work principally ok only i dont understand why links don't work...
when user want get in directory what exactly is a link, server answer - No
such file or directory... what's wrong with these links ??
	
	Second problem - I set up guest user with with root directory /FILES
(/etc/passwd -> files:x:1030:19:Files Special FTP
account,206,,:/files:/bin/true) everything works great but when user logs
then user don't see noone subdirectory but when execut command cd
<subdir-name> it work and user is in that subdirectory. what can be wrong
now ??

	This is not a problem but more probably maybe You can something recommend
me. Scenario is like this:
I have 3 users FILES, USER1, USER2 and my directorys/subdirectorys look
like this:

/FILES - (root)
/FILES/IN
/FILES/IN/01
/FILES/IN02
/FILES/OUT
/FILES/OUT/01
/FILES/OUT/02

user - FILES must do with these directorys/subdirectorys and files that are
stored everything, USER1 can do everything only in directorys /FILES/IN/01
and /FILES/OUT/01 but USER2 only in /FILES/IN/02 and /FILES/OUT/02. USER1
can't see what is in USER2 directorys and USER2 can't see what's in USER1
directorys... oki that i can make with group and user directory/file
permissions but problem - when user -FILES store some file in /FILES/IN/01
that file is owned only by user FILES and USER1 can't delet that stored
file. Is some ideas to everthing work like i want ???

thx,
Viesturs

PS. Sorry for my bad english ;-)

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 07:37:00 -0500 (EST)

Your answer will be found in the FAQ.

> such file or directory... what's wrong with these links ??

Guests and anonymous users are chroot'd.  That means they cannot see
anything not under the directory they chroot to.  Most likely the links
that are causing problems point to areas outside the directory structure.

> (/etc/passwd -> files:x:1030:19:Files Special FTP

Most likely the user 'files' is not listed in a guest group named on a
guestgroup statement in ftpaccess.

You don't say which operating system you're on, but at a guess I'd say
group 19 is a privileged system group and 'files' being a member of group
19 is a rather large security risk.

> 	This is not a problem but more probably maybe You can something
> recommend me.

Re-arrange your directory structure.

The location of the latest version of wu-ftpd can be found in the 
directory
 
      ftp://ftp.vr.net/pub/wu-ftpd/
 
wu-ftpd Resource Center:  http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/
wu-ftpd FAQ:              http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html
wu-ftpd list archive:     http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/mail-archive/

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg              Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195