Subject: Newbie Question about 2.4.2-vr16

From: "Morgan A, Miskell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 17:48:30 +0000

I just installed the version 2.4.2-vr16, I have setup my ftpaccess file
correctly (I think).  My question is simple, if I ftp to any of the
servers and do a 'cd /' I get the root of the machine and not the
specified root in the ftpaccess file.  Is this supposed to work like
this?  I am assuming that it should have chroot'ed and put me into the
specified root dir.

Anyone have any comments/thoughts on what I may have done wrong?

Paste from ftp access (ip's changed)
virtual bbb.bbb.bbb.bbb root    
/usr/local/WWW/FTP/usr/icehouse           
virtual bbb.bbb.bbb.bbb banner  
/usr/local/WWW/FTP/usr/icehouse/banner.msg 
virtual bbb.bbb.bbb.bbb allow    icehouse  
virtual bbb.bbb.bbb.bbb private 

virtual aaa.aaa.aaa.aaa root     /usr/local/WWW/FTP 
virtual aaa.aaa.aaa.aaa banner   /usr/local/WWW/FTP/banner.msg    
virtual aaa.aaa.aaa.aaa allow    egghead                           
virtual aaa.aaa.aaa.aaa private

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 13:11:47 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 26 Mar 1999, Morgan A, Miskell wrote:

> My question is simple, if I ftp to any of the servers and do a 'cd /'
> I get the root of the machine and not the specified root in the
> ftpaccess file.  Is this supposed to work like this?  I am assuming
> that it should have chroot'ed and put me into the specified root dir.
> 
> virtual bbb.bbb.bbb.bbb root     /usr/local/WWW/FTP/usr/icehouse           
> virtual bbb.bbb.bbb.bbb banner   /usr/local/WWW/FTP/usr/icehouse/banner.msg 

See the message just posted to Lief on the mailing list.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg              Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195