Subject: Re: not logging at all?

From: Jan Simek <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 12:40:38 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

> Do you have a "log syslog" line in your ftpaccess file?

here're the log entries from my ftpaccess file:

log syslog
log commands real
log transfers anonymous,real inbound,outbound

(I still keep getting entries into xferlog, not any other...)

I have compiled wu-ftpd with DEBUG and VIRTUAL flags.
I have restarted syslogd.

I'd appreciate any help.

--Jan

> Jan Simek wrote:
> 
> > Hi everybody,
> >
> > (which address is correct? wugate or mail?)
> >
> > I tried to browse all the archives, but couldn't find a hint for my
> > problem... wu-ftpd is just not logging anything for me... I have Solaris,
> > 5.7, wu-ftpd 2.4.2.
> >
> > here's my inetd.conf entry:
> >
> > ftp     stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/in.ftpd   in.ftpd -ldaio
> >
> > here's my syslog.conf entry for wu-ftpd:
> >
> > daemon.notice    /var/log/ftplog
> > daemon.debug     /var/log/ftplog
> > daemon.debug     /var log/ftplog
> >
> > permissions seem to be ok.
> > xferlog is the only log that gets something (works ok).
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > --Jan
> 
>

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 14:36:57 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 16 Mar 1999, Jan Simek wrote:

> I have compiled wu-ftpd with DEBUG and VIRTUAL flags. I have restarted
> syslogd.

Check that you're using the ftpaccess file you think you are.

First, run ckconfig (in the bin directory when you compiled the daemon).
It'll tell you the name of the file that the daemon is using.

Second, I like to make a subtle change to the ftpaccess file and check
that I see the effect between ftp sessions.  since I run the VR version, I
use the greeting clause .. it's quick and most people don't bother to look
at whether the daemon is giving its version number up there.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg              Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195

---

From: Jan Simek <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 15:10:08 -0500 (EST)

Hi Gregory,

wu-ftpd is using the ftpaccess file I want it to use... I did your trick
with the message file...

here's the ckconfig output:

==================================================================
nero:/usr/local/src/ftp/wu-ftpd/bin$ ckconfig 
Checking _PATH_FTPUSERS :: /etc/ftpusers
ok.

Checking _PATH_FTPACCESS :: /etc/ftpaccess
ok.

Checking _PATH_PIDNAMES :: /var/adm/ftp.pids-%s
ok.

Checking _PATH_CVT :: /etc/ftpconversions
ok.

Checking _PATH_XFERLOG :: /var/adm/xferlog
ok.

Checking _PATH_PRIVATE :: /etc/ftpgroups
I can't find it... look in doc/examples for an example.
You only need this if you want SITE GROUP and SITE GPASS
functionality. If you do, you will need to edit the example.

Checking _PATH_FTPHOSTS :: /etc/ftphosts
ok.
nero:/usr/local/src/ftp/wu-ftpd/bin$ 
==================================================================

--Jan

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 15:44:27 -0500 (EST)

> Checking _PATH_FTPACCESS :: /etc/ftpaccess

As I understand it, the following are all true:

- tested and verified this is the ftpaccess file being used

- the following line appears in ftpaccess
  log transfers real,anonymous,guest inbound,outbound

- command line has -a -i -o options

- inetd was killed -HUP (or system rebooted) since inetd.conf was last
  changed

> Checking _PATH_XFERLOG :: /var/adm/xferlog

Therefore this file should record transfers UNLESS you have the following
line in ftpaccess:
  log syslog
or use the -X option, either of which tells the daemon to ignore xferlog
and send the lines to the syslog

-- 

log security real,anonymous,guest
and
log commands real,guest

tell the daemon to log additional information to the system log (syslog).
the -l option tells the daemon to log basic conneciton information.  -L is
the same as 'log commands' for all users.

for these, and for 'log syslog' you need to ensure the daemon.* messages
are sent somewhere.  you'll need to kill -HUP syslogd to reread
syslog.conf if you change it.

also, any ftp daemons running may not log after the -HUP of syslogd; so be
sure you're testing with a fresh execution (ie, if running standalone,
kill the ftp daemon and restart it) .. this isn't an issue when running
from inetd and testing with a fresh command-line ftp session.

--

I've never tried compiling with DEBUG specified, or using the -d or -v
command line options, so I can't say what (if anything) they do.  I use
VIRTUAL all the time with no trouble.  I doubt either of these has any
effect, though.

-- 

>From everything you've said, it should work.  I'm stumped.  There's
probably something obvious I'm missing, but I just don't see it.

--

---

From: Jan Simek <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 16:05:22 -0500 (EST)

Hi Gregory,

everything you've listed is correct.

> and send the lines to the syslog

hmm... as I said, the xferlog is the only file that gets something, it
records all the transfers well. Now -- it seems strange to me, that even
if I put the line

log syslog

in the ftpaccess file (and the deamon reads it; checked with your "message
trick"), I still get all the transfers logged into the xferlog file and
nothing goes to syslog.... 

Any ideas?

--Jan

P.S.: Perhaps there's something wrong with the syslog... how do I make
wu-ftpd log all the logs by itself?