Subject: Erratic listing

From: "Stig Isaksson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 17:20:12 GMT+200

Good afternoon all,

I haven't been seen or heard for a long while on the list and that's 
because our wu-ftpd beta-18 have been working exactly as intended!! 
Till yesterday:

By accident I discovered the following behaviour:

When logging in as a guest user with ws-ftp ver. 4.12 fom Windows 95 
and sending files to the server, the names of which contained 8-bit 
characters, those file names didn't show on the list in the right 
window of the client; not only that: most of the other files wouldn't 
list either till I went to the server and removed the file with such 
characters in its name.

Wrong list? Client problem? FAQ? I think not. Listen:

1. This erratic behaviour happens only with guest logins. When I log in 
as a real user everything works fine (I can list the very same 
directory on the server with the very same client correctly whether 
the file names there have 8-bit characters or not). I can't see how 
ws-ftp could possibly know anything about what kind of user I have 
logged in as.

2. The same error occurs whith passive ftp, e.g. when I log in from 
Netscape with ftp://[email-masked].

So: A plausible conclusion must be that the cause is with wu-ftpd. 
(NB: The files make it to the server and their names are OK on the 
server, i.e. the 8-bit characters look fine or are converted 
correctly to the UNIX encoding (though I think it's basically the 
same encoding vector as in Windows)).

The UNIX is Solaris 2.5.1. on a SUN Ultra 1 (and I have rebooted the 
machine a couple of times between the errors).

Does anyone have any idea what all this could mean?

Hopeful Regards,
Stig
------------------------------------------------------------
Stig Isaksson
Dialekt- och ortnamnsarkivet
Helgonabacken 14
S-223 62 LUND
S W E D E N
tel.: +46 46 222 74 68   fax: +46 46 15 23 81
e-mail: [email-masked]
http://www.dal.lu.se/

<Forstaor MIME    Understands MIME>
------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Koos van den Hout _U nix and we all_ <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 21:02:43 +0100

Quoting Stig Isaksson who wrote on Fri, Feb 12, 1999 at 05:20:12PM +0000:

The first thing I am thinking of here is a difference in NLS settings
between the guest environment and the other environments. Those can
influence the representation of highbit characters.

> same encoding vector as in Windows)).

ISO-8859-1 and that is the same encoding for both xterm and Windows95.

                                                  Koos van den Hout

-- 
 Koos van den Hout                    Expertisecentrum Cetis http://cetis.nl/
 [email-masked] (Work)                     Workphonenumber: +31-30-2586287
 [email-masked] (Home)                   Workfaxnumber: +31-30-2586290
 http://web.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/  PGP keyid RSA/1024 0xCA845CB5 via keyservers