Subject: Is there some doc on using wu-ftpd+ssleay

From: Marc Bourget <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 16:51:29 -0500

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a little bit of doc or README files on seting up and
using wu-ftp+ssl. I'm hopping that someone knows where I can find this.
I would like to create a secure ftp connection from a Secure web site..

i.e.:  How do we install it, modifications to config file, the port it
use, can we use it with netscape, etc...

Thank's

--
______________________________________________________________________
Marc Bourget (MB6350)
Informatique                                    Tel.:  +1 450 652-8191
IREQ - Institut de Recherche d'Hydro-Quebec     Fax.:  +1 450 652-8309

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 17:13:40 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 23 Feb 1999, Marc Bourget wrote:

> using wu-ftp+ssl. I'm hopping that someone knows where I can find
> this. I would like to create a secure ftp connection from a Secure web
> site..
> 

Most of this should be available at the SSLeay site where the patches are
to be found.  I never can remember the URL so I search Yahoo! for it.

I don't think you can use it with Netscape or IE without building a proxy
to tunnel the clear-text FTP session from the client.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg              Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195

---

From: Alex Yu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 20:34:53 -0500

>to be found.  I never can remember the URL so I search Yahoo! for it.

how is exactly that wu-ftpd + ssl work?  do users have to use special
client?  can you provide more information?  thanks!

alex yu

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 06:33:03 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 23 Feb 1999, Alex Yu wrote:

> how is exactly that wu-ftpd + ssl work?

Read the SSL specifications at Netscape and what documentation comes with
the patches.  The work is patches against an old version of wu-ftpd,
beta-13 as I recall.  ISTR someone saying they'd updated them for a more
recent version.

> do users have to use special client?

Yes.  There are patches for the BSD client at the SSLeay site.  ISTR
someone saying they offerred a for-pay client as well.  So far as I know,
those are the only two clients which support it, although I expect there's
one or two more commercial clients out there.

> can you provide more information?

Since it's not used very much (if at all) I've never done more than a
quick look.  Also, since I'm in the US and don't want to bother with ITAR,
I can't work on it and make my code public.

If you have need to securely transfer files between servers, I recommend
SSH scp.  For use by the general public I'd suggest using HTTP+SSL, since
clients for that protocol _are_ in wide-spread use (as are clients for
NNTP+SSL, IMAP+SSL and POP+SSL).

The FTP protocol does not lend itself to SSL since, in a full
implementation, both the client and the server require _server_
certificates.  The FTP Security Extensions (RFC 2228) address these
issues.  BeroFTPD supports RFC2228 as do a number of clients.

--

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 16:27:12 -0500 (EST)

Uh oh.

I just upgraded from wu-ftp beta (13) to beta 18 VR14 (to fix the the
recently discovered security hole), and suddenly all my restricted FTP
accounts aren't restricted anymore! Users with these accounts are no
longer be chrooted properly into their assigned directories.

I'm calling the daemon in inetd.conf with 'ftpd -a'; do I need to add a
separate switch to get restrictions to work again?

TIA,

--Duncan

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 16:52:38 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 26 Feb 1999 [email-masked] wrote:

> I'm calling the daemon in inetd.conf with 'ftpd -a'; do I need to add
> a separate switch to get restrictions to work again?

Most problems show some symptom in the system logs.  Check there to see if
the diagnosis shows.

Read through ftp://ftp.vr.net/pub/wu-ftpd/upload.configuration.HOWTO and
check your configuration carefully against that and the Guest-HOWTO.  If
you're still having problems, email me with configuration info,
/etc/passwd and /etc/group examples and a carefull description of the
problem.

--