Subject: Minor Problems After Upgrading to Beta18-VR14

From: "Themistoklis Kordogiannis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 13:58:05 +0200

After the upgrade to Beta18-VR14 i seem to have one 'problem' and a
question.

First of all the problem :) . For some reason, i'm using iisstat (1.05a) to
parse the log files from my ftp servers. For some reason after i installed
wu-ftpd 2.4.2-Beta18-VR14 all reports come out empty. It seems that the
program can no longer recognise the format of the log file that the ftp
deamon produces.

I seem to have found the problem, and that where i need your help!

Before the upgrade a normal line in the log file would be like this
(all in one line!... no wraps) :

Mon Feb  1 04:11:14 1999 8 hlr-81-187.tm.net.my 40960
/home/ftp/.core/sdb1/ftp.maxtor.com/main/ide.exe b _ o a [email-masked] ftp
0 *

After the upgrade the line looks like this :

Sun Feb 28 13:12:32 1999 1 209.167.90.84 40960
/home/ftp/.core/sdb1/ftp.adaptec.com/BBS/win95/dcd25up.exe b _ o a
[email-masked] ftp 0 * i

Notice the small "i" at the end of the line. THAT's what is causing the
problem!
I went through the xferlog.5 man page, just to find out what that "i" is,
but
the desription of the log format end at the "*".

Does anybody know what that "i" stands for? I've never used before a VR
version
so i don't know if it's something with VR14 or not.

The question i had now is, that after upgrading to VR14, in the log file
instead of
all downloads been logged with a root path the directory the FTP Server
chroot's to,
they are logged with the real path. Is there a way to change that to the old
way?
(Just a question,it's not much of a problem, i can always change the perl
exp's that
the statistical program looks for)

Regards
Themis

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 08:49:35 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 28 Feb 1999, Themistoklis Kordogiannis wrote:

> iisstat (1.05a) to parse the log files from my ftp servers

I've not had any other reports of problems with iisstat.  Is 1.05a the
current version?

> Notice the small "i" at the end of the line. THAT's what is causing
> the problem! I went through the xferlog.5 man page, just to find out
> what that "i" is, but the desription of the log format end at the "*".

Though I'd updated the xferlog manpage.  I'll check to make sure.  
Anyway, the code added to the end is 'c' or 'i' to indicate whether or not
the daemon thinks the transfer was completed.  Take it with a BIG grain of
salt right now, false-complete is common and false-incomplete is possible
(especially with IE as the client, but all we FTP folk know how broken IE
is).  I never took it out because, even with the false readings, I find it
handy as a rough gauge of how well things are going.

> The question i had now is, that after upgrading to VR14, in the log
> file instead of all downloads been logged with a root path the
> directory the FTP Server chroot's to, they are logged with the real
> path. Is there a way to change that to the old way?

Um .. nobody who's noticed has bothered to ask for it?

> (Just a question,it's not much of a problem, i can always change the
> perl exp's that the statistical program looks for)

Yes.  I use it to split the analysis before running per-customer reports.
My Perl split also removes the chroot base, so the customer's report is
just like it always was and I don't have to worry about a pile of
logfiles, just the One True Xferlog.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg              Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195

---

From: "Themistoklis Kordogiannis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 16:04:17 +0200

> I've not had any other reports of problems with iisstat.  Is 1.05a the

	i've checked it today and it is the latest version.......

> handy as a rough gauge of how well things are going.

	After going through the longs again, i figured that it might be something
like that.
	I'll check to see if i can make iisstat accept this option too.....

	Anybody else here uses iisstat with the VR version of wu-ftpd???

Themis

---

From: "Themistoklis Kordogiannis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 16:57:25 +0200

Found it.

Since i never was much of a shell script writer, i can only give tell you
what to look for :)
I'll have a friend of mine work out a patch, or if i find the time i'll make
it myself.....

Anywayz......

In version 1.05a of iisstat.pl, line 465 read

      if ($#line != 16) {                 # skip if not 17 fields

just change that to

      if ($#line != 17) {                 # skip if not 18 fields

in order to recognise and accept the extra field Gregory has put :)

That's it.

Only thing is that now it won't be able to read the old format of the file,
which has one less field....
I'll have to remember how perl works to sort this out, but for the time
being it works for me :)

Themis

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 10:10:58 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 28 Feb 1999, Themistoklis Kordogiannis wrote:

> Only thing is that now it won't be able to read the old format of the
> file, which has one less field.... I'll have to remember how perl
> works to sort this out, but for the time being it works for me :)

if (($#line != 16) && (($#line != 17)) { # skip if not 17 or 18 fields

actually, I'd recommend doing it this way instaed to avoid problems in the
future:

if ($#line < 16) { # skip if fewer than 17 fields

--