Subject: BeroFTPD configure prob. (HPUX 11.00)

From: "Elliott, Don (Exton, PA)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 14:01:24 -0500

To whom it may concern,

I'm running into a problem while trying to run the "./configure" command
on the Bero-FTPD-1.3.3 package. Please see the output below:

********Output begins here************

checking if there is a ut_host field in the utmp structure... yes
checking if there is a ut_pid field in the utmp structure... yes
checking if there is a ut_id field in the utmp structure... yes
checking if there is a ut_name field in the utmp structure... yes
checking if there is a ut_type field in the utmp structure... yes
checking if there is a ut_exit.e_termination field in the utmp
structure... yes
checking if there is a ut_syslen field in the utmpx structure... no
checking how to determine wtmpx file... configure: error: Cannot find
out how to locate wtmpx file. Contact
[email-masked].

**************Output end here******************

I'm trying to build this package on an HP-UX 11.00 system, with
gcc-2.8.1 and the GNU "binutils" package built as well.

I cannot find any "wtmpx" file on my system whatsoever.

I'm kind of in desperate straights here, and would appreciate any
information as to how to get past this.

Thanks in advance,

Donald Elliott

**************************************************
Don Elliott
UNIX Analyst
Unisource Worldwide Inc.
[email-masked]
610.280.5838

---

From: [email-masked] (Albert Lunde)
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 13:32:55 CST

> I cannot find any "wtmpx" file on my system whatsoever.

I ran in to something similar under HP-UX 10.20:

The problem is that HP-UX 10.20 has a utmpx.h header file but
doesn't use the wtmpx file or define a symbol for its location,
so far as I can see.

I worked around this by finding the list of header files tested
for in configure (about line 3135) and deleting the word "utmpx.h"
from that list. This seems to produce the same result on the
rest of the script as the test for the header failing, and so
the test that looks for a symbol for wtmpx file is bypassed.

I wound up not using that build in production, but going with VR14,
so there may be other issues. Note also the patch to
fix the declaration of defumask posted 2/17/99 with
Subject: Re:wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-18-vr14 and HP-UX (fwd)

(I _can_ find a /var/adm/wtmpx file on my system but it is
small and the last mod date in not recent.)

--
    Albert Lunde                      [email-masked]