Subject: Thanks and Question

From: Robert Benites <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 09:53:56 -0500 (EST)

Thanks to Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]> for his great
HowTo document about uploading!

I just installed wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-18-vr14 on a Digital UNIX 4.0D
(patch kit #3).

My questions regards the fact I find the ftpd man page confusing. If I
have the following entry in /etc/inted.conf:

ftp   stream  tcp nowait root /usr/local/etc/wuftpd/ftpd  ftpd -a -t180 -i -o

should log all transmissions to the xferlog. 

For consistency it seems I should be able to force the session log to
the xferlog too. But using the -l option still forces the logging to
syslog.

Is this just the way it works, ie. that you can't send the session log
to the xferlog, or am I missing something?

Thanks!

-- Bob

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 10:24:04 -0500 (EST)

> HowTo document about uploading!

*blush*

> to the xferlog, or am I missing something?

I'd add -l to the command line.

I'd also add the following to your ftpaccess:

log transfers real,anonymous,guest inbound,outbound 
log security real,anonymous,guest

If you want to see the commands as well, add

log commands real,anonymous,guest

this can make your log a bit large, so be sure it rotates properly and
often.

Plus, if you want to use syslog instead of xferlog, add

log syslog

If you do this, though, you'll have to hack up xferstats to use the
syslog.  It's handy, though, if you have several servers or have a syslog
deaddrop.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg              Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195