Subject: BeroFTPD 1.2.3 on solaris 2?

From: Dan Stromberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 09:46:02 -0800

Does anyone have BeroFTPD 1.2.3 running correctly on Solaris?

I compiled on 2.5.1, and am testing the binaries on 7, but ultimately we
plan to use this on a bunch of different solaris versions all >= 2.5.1.

Everything compiled fine, but when I try to log in, I get:

bingy-strombrg> ftp localhost
Connected to localhost.
220 bingy.acs.uci.edu FTP server (BeroFTPD 1.2.3(1) Thu Feb 11 10:26:28
PST 1999) ready.
Name (localhost:strombrg):
331 Password required for strombrg.
Password:
530 Login incorrect.
Login failed.
ftp>

I've used wuftpd on this same host without trouble for a long time.  My
shell is listed in /etc/shells.  My inetd.conf entry looks like:

ftp stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/tcpd
/dcs/packages/BeroFTPD/sbin/BeroFTPD

I'm not trying to set up anonymous on this machine, just normal logins.

Any hints?  Any success reports?

---

From: Dan Stromberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 13:22:42 -0800

Someone requested in personal e-mail that I report if this started working.

It did.  On the non-anonymous configuration, I needed a "-A" in inetd.conf.

For the anonymous configuration, everything just flew in switching from
wuftpd.

So far, that is.  That's one test machine and one production machine down,
and about 10 more machines to go.

---

From: "Joe R. Jah" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 06:32:57 -0800 (PST)

Hi Folks,

I have been running BeroFTPD pre 1.0, wu.ftpd.1.6.1, for quite some time
without a problem.  The recent hubbub about the security hole prompted me
to install 1.3.3 yesterday; I setup a couple of guest accounts and made
some changes to ftpaccess file; I also added a few executables, gzip, tar,
etc. to ~ftp/usr/bin directory.  Now real users cannot login to ftp; only
guest and anonymous users can login.  I even backed out and used the older
binary, but real users are still rejected;(

I run ftpck with the following result:
______________________________________________________________
WARNING: ftpservers file /etc/ftpservers missing.
        Only needed if you're using virtual hosts.
**WARNING: /etc/ftpaccess: 13: This directive
  is known to BeroFTPD, but can't be checked with ftpck yet.
  You have to verify its correctness yourself.
**WARNING: /etc/ftpaccess: 74: This directive
  is known to BeroFTPD, but can't be checked with ftpck yet.
  You have to verify its correctness yourself.
**WARNING: /etc/ftpaccess: 75: This directive
  is known to BeroFTPD, but can't be checked with ftpck yet.
  You have to verify its correctness yourself.
**WARNING: /etc/ftpaccess: 76: This directive
  is known to BeroFTPD, but can't be checked with ftpck yet.
  You have to verify its correctness yourself.
WARNING: ftphosts file /etc/ftphosts missing.
        Only needed if using BeroFTPD HOST ACCESS features.
WARNING: ftpgroups file /etc/ftpgroups missing.
        Only needed if supporting SITE GROUP and SITE GPASS.
______________________________________________________________

Where:
	line 13: guestuser	user1,user2
	line 74: incmail	[email-masked]
	line 75: mailfrom	[email-masked]
	line 76: mailserver	localhost

I appreciate any pointers.

TIA,

Joe

     _/   _/_/_/       _/            ____________    __o
     _/   _/   _/      _/       ______________     _-\<,_
 _/  _/   _/_/_/   _/  _/                   ......(_)/ (_)
  _/_/ oe _/   _/.  _/_/ ah       [email-masked]

---

From: "Joe R. Jah" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 13:38:36 -0800 (PST)

Hi Folks,

Never mind; I solved the problem;)  This system had never had an
/etc/shells file!  It never complained about it either, until yesterday
when I created the two guest accounts and had to create an /etc/shells to
place the /etc/ftponly "sudo" shell in it.  I neglected to put "real"
shells in it as well, thereby disabling "real" users from ftp logins;(

AW, today as soon as I inserted "real" shells in /etc/shells file,
everything started working as expected.  BeroFTPD 1.3.3 is a great,
stable, feature rich ftp server;)

Thank you.

Joe