Subject: permissions

From: "Speier, Guy J - CNF" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 11:02:05 -0800

Hello,

	Would someone be kind enough to tell me what the permissions and
ownership 
	should be for all files relating to static ls that I have set up an
my machine.

	Also, I'd like to make it impossible to mail-bomb an ftp user, so
what should I 
	have in .forward?  I can't simply pipe it to a file like /dev/null,
can I?

	thanks
	Guy

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 14:20:36 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 15 Feb 1999, Speier, Guy J - CNF wrote:

> ownership should be for all files relating to static ls that I have
> set up an my machine.

~ftp/dev/null and ~ftp/bin/ls are the _minimum_ set (and all I need for
Linux). Some systems need other devices; check the FAQ.  If you want names
instead of numbers you need ~ftp/etc/passwd and ~ftp/etc/group.  My
example site shows all this, with minimum permissions.

  ftp://ftp.vr.net/pub/wu-ftpd/examples/

> Also, I'd like to make it impossible to mail-bomb an ftp user, so what
> should I have in .forward?  I can't simply pipe it to a file like
> /dev/null, can I?

Delete the .forward and do it in your sendmail aliases instead.  There you
can pipe it to /dev/null if you want, although sending the mail to a real
user is sorta nice since people will try ftp@ and the email given in
ftpaccess if they're having trouble with your site.

--

wu-ftpd Resource Center:  http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/
wu-ftpd FAQ:              http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html
wu-ftpd list archive:     http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/mail-archive/

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg              Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195