Subject: Can't ftp as root

From: "Karsten Koepp" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 11:54:35 +0100

I have a problem logging in as root via wu-ftpd ...

I get the following error:

Name (energie:koepp): root
331 Password required for root.
Password:
530 Login incorrect.
Login failed.

It certainly is the correct password. Every other user
can login, it is just root who gets the error. With 
in.ftpd root can login as well.

things that i have checked:
the files passwd and group are o.k., the root shell is
included in /etc/shells.
There is no ftpusers file, and all files in the wuftpd-
directory are zero:

# cd /opt/WUftpd/etc/
# ls -l
total 726
-rw-r--r--   1 root     other         51 Feb 19 09:00 banner
-rw-r--r--   1 bin      bin           80 Feb 19 09:43 ftpaccess
-rwxr-xr-x   1 bin      bin       357992 Jun  2  1997 ftpd
drwxr-xr-x   2 bin      bin          512 Okt 13 19:21 ftpd-old
-rw-r--r--   1 bin      bin            0 Jun  2  1997 ftpgroups
-rw-r--r--   1 bin      bin            0 Jun  2  1997 ftphosts
-rw-r--r--   1 bin      bin            0 Jun  2  1997 ftpusers

the file ftpaccess is as follows:

class   local  real,guest  *
guestgroup ftpguests
banner /opt/WUftpd/etc/banner

Is there any other file which is to be modified?

Thanks for your help
Karsten Koepp

******************************************************
Karsten Koepp			[email-masked]
SB Internet/Intranet		www.lausitznet.de

LausitzNET			Tel: 0355 / 355-1238
Lausitzer Str. 1-7		Fax: 0355 / 355-1400
03046 Cottbus

---

From: Chris Heathcote <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 11:36:13 +0000

> in.ftpd root can login as well.

*shudder*

You really really shouldn't be connecting as root; passwords are sent 
as plaintext during FTP authentication, any packet sniffer could then 
gain root access to your server.

It's better to create a new up/download area with it's own user (with 
little/no privilidges), FTP stuff to/from it, and then telnet (if 
this is the only shell access you have; far more secure to 
install/use SSH than telnet) to the box as the user, then su to root.

c.
______________________________________________________
Chris Heathcote                       <Head> New Media
http://www.head-newmedia.com/   tel:  +44(0)1717377579
http://www.head-space.org/      fax:  +44(0)1717377971
______________________________________________________