Subject: FTP Shutdown Messages

From: John McDermon <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 16:04:07 -0700

Running wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-18-vr13

I have commented out the following line in my ftpaccess file:
#shutdown /etc/ftpmsgs/shutmsg

But whenever I quit or am disconnected from an FTP session I get an 
extra window on my Mac Client (Fetch 3.03) that says:

221-You have transferred 0 bytes in 0 files.
221-Total traffic for this session was 4868 bytes in 1 transfers.
221-Thank you for using the FTP service on congress.lanl.gov.
221 Goodbye.

This is new since upgrading to this version (we were at plain beta17 
before the upgrade).

Where is this coming from and how can I turn it off?

Also, where can I set the FTP connection timeout period?

TIA,
--John

---

From: Ted Keller <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 18:28:13 -0500 (EST)

John,

This is a little added feature of the VR series - just providing a small
summary of the ftp activity you just completed.

Looks like this is selectable by undefining TRANSFER_COUNT in the config.h
file.

ted keller - bfg.com

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 18:50:40 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 26 Feb 1999, Ted Keller wrote:

> Looks like this is selectable by undefining TRANSFER_COUNT in the
> config.h file.

It is.

> > Also, where can I set the FTP connection timeout period?

Check the new ftpaccess manpage.
  limit-time sets total connect-time limits.

And the ftpd manpage.
  -t sets the default idle timeout
  -T sets the maximum idle timeout the user may ask for

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg              Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195

---

From: John McDermon <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 11:27:55 -0700

So what am I doing wrong?

I inserted the following line in the src/config.h

	#undef  TRANSFER_COUNT

Then I recompiled, verified the date of the new ftpd executable and 
installed. BUT, I still get the message:

	221-You have transferred 0 bytes in 0 files.
	221-Total traffic for this session was 4772 bytes in 1 transfers.
	221-Thank you for using the FTP service on congress.lanl.gov.
	221 Goodbye.

I checked the code and the ifdef statements looks OK, but the code 
keeps getting included as witnessed by the message still showing up 
and a strings on the executable. :(

Did I miss something?
--John

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 13:59:29 -0500 (EST)

> I inserted the following line in the src/config.h

Inserted?  Look further down, does it still have the #define?  I'd say
should should change the #define to #under or _append_ the #undef

--

---

From: John McDermon <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 12:48:46 -0700

There is no other line with TRANSFER_COUNT in the src/config.h file.

In fact there is no mention of TRANSFER_COUNT in any of the config 
files in src/config/config.*

Now I'm wondering where it's defined in the first place?

--John

> should should change the #define to #under or _append_ the #undef

+-------------------------------------------------+
| John McDermon,    voice mail 7-7315  Fax 5-1002 |
| CIC-2, MS F608     cell 699-4910, page 104-8665 |
+-------------------------------------------------+

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 15:01:49 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 27 Feb 1999, John McDermon wrote:

> Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 12:48:46 -0700

config.h

src/config.h cannot be edited, change src/config/config.<os> instead

src/config/config.<os> is for platform specific hacks and shouldn't need
changes unless you're porting to a new platform or have found that some
other (probably os-vendor-initiated) change has occurred.

--