Subject: Problems with getting upload to work using wu-2.4.2-academ[BETA-18-VR14]

From: Elaine Mele <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 12:14:09 -0500

I am configure wu-2.4.2-academ[BETA-18-VR14] on a Solaris 2.6 system.  I
see that my /etc/ftpaccess file is being read as the welcome message is
displayed when I log on as my test user.  My problem is that the upload
parameters are not working.    When I upload a file it read:

-rw-r--r--   1 500      1             52 Feb 19 16:50 motd

The permissions should be rw-r---- with an owner of ftptest (it's not
converting the uid to the name) and a group of guests (1000).

Any help is appreciated.  I need to fix this as soon as possible.

The user "ftptest" is configured in /etc/passwd and /ftp/FTP/etc/passwd
as follows:

ftptest:x:500:1::/ftp/FTP/./ftptest:/etc/ftponly

The group permissions are as follows:

guests::1000:newuser,ftptest

The permission set are those in the inetd.conf file:

ftp     stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/ftpd  ftpd -ldioa
-t300 -u 022

My ftpaccess file is as follows:

class   local   real  *
class   anon    anonymous       *
class   guest   guest  *

guestgroup guests

readme README* login
readme README cwd=*

message /etc/welcome            login  anon
message /etc/welcome.vendor     cwd=/vendor anon
message /etc/welcome.local      login guest

log commands real,guest,anonymous
log transfers anonymous,guest,real inbound,outbound

path-filter  anonymous  /etc/pathmsg  ^[-A-Za-z0-9_\.]*$  ^\.  ^-
path-filter  guest      /etc/pathmsg  ^[-A-Za-z0-9_\.]*$  ^\.  ^-

upload /ftp/FTP * no

upload /ftp/FTP /ftptest yes ftptest guests 0640
upload /ftp/FTP /ftptest/* yes root daemon 0600

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 12:32:44 -0500 (EST)

My Tao of Uploads was posted yesterday.  I'll just tell you how to fix
this ...

> upload /ftp/FTP /ftptest/* yes root daemon 0600

upload /ftp/FTP/ftptest *          no
upload /ftp/FTP/ftptest /ftptest   yes ftptest guests 0640
upload /ftp/FTP/ftptest /ftptest/* yes root daemon 0600

Oh dear!  Do you really intend to provide root shell-level access to
everyone on the Internet?  Maybe you'd better change the ownerships on
that last line .. RIGHT NOW.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg              Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195

---

From: Elaine Mele <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 13:45:00 -0500

Gregory,

That's and interesting fix.  Our current ftp server allows you to not
allow at the chroot level (/ftp/FTP), which is my intension as we have
many accounts I need to set up.  As to the root being used, it's for test
purposes only.  I'm still not getting the name/uid translation and I
don't know why.  If you have an answer to that part of the question, it
will help greatly.

Elaine

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 13:56:00 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 19 Feb 1999, Elaine Mele wrote:

> many accounts I need to set up.  As to the root being used, it's for
> test purposes only.  I'm still not getting the name/uid translation
> and I don't know why.  If you have an answer to that part of the
> question, it will help greatly.

On root ownership of uploaded files: OK, but don't forget it's there.
That's a VERY hot potato you're playing with.

On your old ftpaccess upload clauses: I doubt they worked like you thought
they did, if at all.  If you have 'many accounts', I know they didn't and
you just never noticed.

Part of the goal of the VR updates was to make it a lot easier to manage a
site with a lot of guest users; like I have here.  A well-done upload
system was needed.  The older versions didn't get it right.  It seemed to
me that it used to be right, but I never bothered to go look for when it
broke; I just fixed it.

If you're not getting uid/name translation, that's probably because you
don't have ~ftp/etc/passwd and/or ~ftp/etc/group with those names in them.

--