Subject: -X not working

From: Geir Johannessen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 19:03:39 +0100 (MET)

Hi

I am running beta18-VR13 on a Solaris 2.5.1 machine. Earlier I used beta18
with some hacks in ftpd.c to have it log file transfers to syslog instead
of the xferlog file. Now I see there is a -X option that is supposed to
handle it. I start ftpd by this line:

ftpd -l -t300 -T600 -a -i -o -X -u077

But nothing is logged to syslog before I add the line 'log syslog' to
ftpaccess. So the -X options had better be checked out a bit...

Another thing while I am at it:

How can I download many files and get them tarred and gzipped on the fly.
Right now I can download filename and have it gzipped, tarred or both. But
I cannot choose many files with wildcards, i.e. 'get pat*.tar.gz' to get
all files starting with 'pat'. Any way to do this?

--
Geir Johannessen          #  [email-masked]
E B Schieldropsvei 35-25  #  http://www.stud.ntnu.no/~joge/
N-7033 TRONDHEIM, NORWAY  #  Tlf private +47-73888989, job +47-73598048
"If it wern't for the last minute, nothing would ever get done."

---

From: Geir Johannessen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 21:49:55 +0100 (MET)

[Copy to wu-ftpd list in case anyone else wonders if it is only my syslog
 not workig properly.]

> I don't want to be too pedantic, but the man page says:
> [cut]
> "saved via syslog"
> 
> So the question is - Have you changed your syslog file in the syslog.conf
> file? I have, and so system logging no longer goes to the syslog file.

Everything in syslog on our site is sent to a central machine where it is
saved in a separate file for each type (mail,news,local0,local1,..) and for
each degree (alert,emerg,debug,..). So everything for the ftp daemon is
saved in local5.debug, local5.notice and so on. When I have -X, no
transfers are logged to syslog. But if I say 'log syslog' in ftpaccess it
logs to local5.info just as it is supposed to.

The option in ftpaccess works and the command line option does not. To me
this indicates that something is wrong with the command line option... :)

--
Geir Johannessen          #  [email-masked]
E B Schieldropsvei 35-25  #  http://www.stud.ntnu.no/~joge/
N-7033 TRONDHEIM, NORWAY  #  Tlf private +47-73888989, job +47-73598048
"Anything good in life is either illegal, immoral or fattening."