Subject: RFTP Failure Mystery

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 10:18:44 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 26 Feb 1999, Gregory A Lundberg wrote:

> Good point.  I use the new greeting ftpaccess clause myself.  Without it
> the daemon should show its version on connection.  With greeting brief it
> should only show the hostname.  With greeting terse it should just say the
> FTP server is ready.

Well, I've confirmed that it's definitely the new version of the daemon.
So now it's a bonifide mystery:

* RFTP was working on this system for over a year with beta-13 for 50+
accounts.

* Configuration (ftpaccess, etc.) files weren't altered.

* RFTP Account configurations weren't altered.

* The only change was to replace the beta-13 executable with beta-18/VR-14
executable (to fix the recently discovered security hole).

* The daemon is being called with the correct switch (-a) in inetd.conf.

* It was built using the normal 'build' script process on a Solaris 2.5.1
system, and compiled without errors using gcc.

* After installing the new daemon, access restrictions on RFTP accounts
suddenly stopped working; RFTP accounts can now 'cd' all over the system.

What could possibly explain this problem? Has anyone else experienced this
after moving up to the new version of the daemon?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be highly appreciated.

--Duncan

---

From: Alex Yu <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 11:59:36 -0500

Hello,

How would I insert an option in inetd.conf file so that when users (not
anonymous) uploading files through ftp, their file will be ug+rw,o+x?  Can
I also config it in ftpaccess so that some dirs will have 644 mode, and
some will have 600 mode. (only users who are on the box.)

Thanks for your comment,
Alex

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 12:10:56 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 27 Feb 1999, Alex Yu wrote:

> How would I insert an option in inetd.conf file so that when users
> (not anonymous) uploading files through ftp, their file will be
> ug+rw,o+x?  Can I also config it in ftpaccess so that some dirs will
> have 644 mode, and some will have 600 mode. (only users who are on the
> box.)

In /etc/ftpaccess, to control this on by access-class, use defumask.  See
the manpage for ftpaccess.

On the command line, to control the default umask when you do not use
defumask, add the -u switch.  See the manpage for ftpd.

In most cases, both these are the WRONG WAY (tm) to handle this issue.
See ftp://ftp.vr.net/pub/wu-ftpd/upload.configuration.HOWTO for a better
way.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg              Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195