Subject: Standalone problem

From: "Scott Parmenter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 1999 10:29:49 -0800

Hi,

When running the prerelease VR13 server standalone (-S), the child dies
sometime after pass() completes.  However, this doesn't happen when
connecting from the local host (loopback) - only from a remote host.
When the child dies, nothing is written to syslog after the "FTP LOGIN
FROM ..." statement except for "FTP session closed".  After sending
username and password, the remote client gets a generic "421 Service not
available, remote server has closed connection" after a pause of about 3
seconds.  Has anyone else run into this?  Is anyone using the -S option
successfully?

Thanks,
Scott

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 13:44:35 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 2 Feb 1999, Scott Parmenter wrote:

> When running the prerelease VR13 server standalone (-S), the child
> dies sometime after pass() completes.  However, this doesn't happen
> when connecting from the local host (loopback) - only from a remote
> host. When the child dies, nothing is written to syslog after the "FTP
> LOGIN FROM ..." statement except for "FTP session closed".  After
> sending username and password, the remote client gets a generic "421
> Service not available, remote server has closed connection" after a
> pause of about 3 seconds.  Has anyone else run into this?  Is anyone
> using the -S option successfully?

I had similar problems with VR12 and put the fixes into VR13.  Grab the
current release, and if it doesn't fix things, let me know.

What I found, and your desciption fits, was that there was a bad
external-linkage between two source modules relating to the AUTH protocol.
This didn't effect the inetd-mode daemon, but caused the children of the
standalone-mode daemon to die with an acces violation (signal 11).

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195