Subject: Can you help me out?

From: "Chen, Liang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 11:19:44 -0500

I'm using wu-2.4.2-academ[BETA-18](1) on AIX 4.3.1. I have a problem
with any command such as "ls, put, ..."
My error message says "500 Illegal PORT Command". 

Any idea how to fix this problem?

Thanks

Liang Chen

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 11:25:43 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 8 Feb 1999, Chen, Liang wrote:

> with any command such as "ls, put, ..." My error message says "500
> Illegal PORT Command".

Start with the FAQ.

The location of the latest version of wu-ftpd can be found in the 
directory
 
      ftp://ftp.academ.com/pub/wu-ftpd/private/
 
You can't see the directory contents, so read the message informing you
of the actual filename to retrieve. It's there.
 
wu-ftpd Resource Center:  http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/
wu-ftpd FAQ:              http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html
wu-ftpd list archive:     http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/mail-archive/

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195

---

From: Bret McDanel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 12:50:36 -0500

---Reply on mail from Chen, Liang about Can you help me out?

> Any idea how to fix this problem?

The only times I have seen that is when you send a PORT command to an IP
that is not your own..  There may be other times, however..  

Odds are you are running some sorta NAT (Network Address Translation) on
your side, or are required to go through a proxy server, and it either
doenst correctly support FTP, or your client is bypassing it..

If you dont know what I am talking about, then odds are you arent the
network administrator at your site, and you should talk to that person for
advice..  If however you are the administrator and really need to get out,
then you can try to use the PASV commands instead..  some clients have
this enabled by typing 'passive' at the ftp prompt, others do it
automatically (netscape/MS internet explorer), some dont do it at all..

-- PORT/PASV - what are they? --
(prolly more information than some readers want to know so if you already
know what they are stop reading :)

When you get a file, a directory listing, etc there is another connection
made between the ftp server and the client.  This is the data connection,
where the output of directory listings, files, etc are sent.  There are 2
ways that you can get a file, one is by issuing a PORT command.  This
tells the FTP server where to connect (on the client machine).  Due to recent
abuses in this it is now typically restricted to the IP that you connect from.  
The other method is PASV.  This tells your client where to connect on the
FTP server.

These extra connections are for data transfers.  When you do a ls/dir
(NLST/LIST) or when you get/put a file (RETR/STOR) that directory
listing/file transfer occurs on the data connection.

-- 
Bret McDanel                                    http://www.rehost.com
Realistic Technologies, Inc.                             973-514-1144

     These opinions are mine, and may not be the same as my employer