Subject: Question regarding guests

From: Gary Goldberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 05:58:35 -0500 (EST)

Hello. I've been pouring over the Guest How-TO, and I have this question:

I want to set up a situation where a web server has X subdirectories,
each owned by a different person, and each using wu-ftpd guests to let
the users log in through ftp only, maintain their documents, yet not be
allowed higher than their home directories. Sounds tailor made for guests
in wu-ftpd, yes? But I also want to provide them with a anonymous ftp root.
I'm thinking that I should put the bin/dev/etc/lib heirarchy in their home
directory, use the /./ nomenclature on their password file entry (I use
Solaris), together this will make the chroot work for them, and then also
duplicate the bin/dev/etc/lib directories in a ftp subdirectory, specifically
for anon ftp (entry in ftpaccess). Is this the best way? If I only had one
ftp root within the home directory, then anon-ftp users could see their
webroot (bad!) Is there any better way to do this?

Thanks. -Gary

- Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.
Gary Goldberg KA3ZYW email: [email-masked] 301/249-6501  ICQ: 22569505
Digital Marketing, Inc., Bowie, MD.            http://www.digimark.net/

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 09:28:13 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 17 Feb 1999, Gary Goldberg wrote:

> the users log in through ftp only, maintain their documents, yet not
> be allowed higher than their home directories. Sounds tailor made for
> guests in wu-ftpd, yes? But I also want to provide them with a
> anonymous ftp root. I'm thinking that I should put the bin/dev/etc/lib
> heirarchy in their home directory, use the /./ nomenclature on their
> password file entry (I use Solaris), together this will make the
> chroot work for them, and then also duplicate the bin/dev/etc/lib
> directories in a ftp subdirectory, specifically for anon ftp (entry in
> ftpaccess). Is this the best way? If I only had one ftp root within
> the home directory, then anon-ftp users could see their webroot (bad!)
> Is there any better way to do this?

The example at my site shows one way to do this.
  ftp://ftp.vr.net/pub/wu-ftpd/examples/

There are extensions on the VR updates which can make this easier to
manage.  Also, BeroFTPD has an improved virtual hosting scheme which you
may want to take a look at.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg              Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195