Subject: easy Q?

From: Chris Shaw <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 13:24:50 +0000 (GMT)

Hi, 

I've set up wu-ftp and followed the instructions to set up a guest account.

I have an anonymous account which works fine...when I do 'pwd' it tells me I'm 
at root when I'm really in /export/ftp, and prevents me moving outside of this 
area

but in my guest account I can cd.. right through my filesystem!

I'm sure this must be an obvious error..but according to the pages I followed 
(if I am understanding this right) - the home directory path (as below) should 
prevent this?????

root:x:0:0::/:/etc/ftponly
myguest:x:1013:400::/export/htdocs/myguest/./:/etc/ftponly

...my anonymous passwd file (which works) is below...

root:x:0:1::/:/etc/ftponly
ftp:x:30000:60001:Anonymous FTP:/export/ftp/./:/etc/ftponly

Many TIA

Chris
-=-=-

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 10:09:38 -0500 (EST)

> myguest:x:1013:400::/export/htdocs/myguest/./:/etc/ftponly

Create a new group in the real /etc/group

ftpgroup:*:96:myguest

the groupname 'ftpgroup' is an exampole, change it if you wan the number
'96' is an example, you will almost certainly want to change IT.

notice 'myguest' is listed EXPLICITLY as a member of this group

Now add the following line to your /etc/ftpaccess file:

guestgroup ftpgroup

ta da!

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg              Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195