Subject: RE: BeroFTPD-1.3.2 configure question

From: "Elliott, Don (Exton, PA)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 12:34:01 -0500

James,

I'm coming up with the same exact error message that you are when
running "configure" for BeroFTPD-1.3.2:

"checking how to determine wtmpx file... configure: error: Cannot find
out how to
locate wtmpx file. Contact [email-masked]."

Have you been able to get by this problem yet? I'm using GCC-2.8.1 and
the exact same configure switches that you did...

If you have any ideas on how to get around this, I would be most
appreciative...

Regards,

Don Elliott

**************************************************
Don Elliott
UNIX Analyst
Unisource Worldwide Inc.
[email-masked]
610.280.5838

---

From: Dan Stromberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 12:02:00 -0800

I had this same problem with BeroFTPD 1.2.3 on OSF/1.

Here are my notes to myself for when I need to recompile this again:

On OSF/1, I had to manually change all occurences of _PATH_WTMPX to
"/var/adm/wtmp" and I had to #if NEVER the stuff in logwtmp.c.

This produced a version of beroftpd that doesn't do wtmp logging like
one would hope, but it seems basically functional.

However, we've been having problems configuring upload directories using
BeroFTPD across the board: sun, linux, sgi and dec.  They all say
"permission denied" when I try to put a file.

One of the ftpaccess files looks like:

class   all   real,guest,anonymous  *

limit   all   10   Any              /etc/msgs/msg.dead

readme  README*    login
readme  README*    cwd=*

message /welcome.msg            login
message .message                cwd=*

compress        yes             local remote
tar             yes             local remote

log commands real
log transfers anonymous,real inbound,outbound

shutdown /etc/shutmsg

email [email-masked]
path-filter anonymous /etc/paths.msg ^[-A-Za-z0-9\._]*$ ^\. ^-
upload /c1t4/anon-ftp           *                no
upload /c1t4/anon-ftp           /pub/incoming  yes root daemon 0400
nodirs
guestgroup sunpat

A truss during a "put foo" attempt shows:

9668:   read(0, " S T O R   f o o\r\n", 8192)           = 10
9668:   alarm(0)                                        = 900
9668:   time()                                          = 919454387
9668:   open(".", O_RDONLY)                             Err#13 EACCES

Do I need to make the incoming directory writable by the ftp user?
ISTR a CERT advisory that recommended against making any of the chroot'd
files owned by user ftp.

Anyone have any suggestions?