Subject: strange upgrade problem with tcpd

From: Charles Reese <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 12:05:47 -0500

I am upgrading from BETA 18 to BETA 18VR13 and I have come across a strange
problem.  On two machines all has gone well but on the thrid the old version
refuses to disappear.  If I telnet to No. 3 I get the version:

Version wu-2.4.2-academ[BETA-18](1)

on the other ones I get:

Version wu-2.4.2-academ[BETA-18-VR13](1)

as expected.

Now here is the strange part.  I am running tcp_wrappers on both machines
with the line:
ftp     stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/local/libexec/tcpd ftpd -l -a

if I change that to:
ftp     stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/local/libexec/ftpd -l -a

it shows the new vesion number:
Version wu-2.4.2-academ[BETA-18-VR13](1)

and if I put the tcpd back in it again reverts back to 18(1). 

Any Ideas
Cheers

Charlie Reese

One Unix to Rule them all, One Resolver to Find them,
One IP to Name them all, In the Zone that Binds them.

---

From: Cameron Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 13:11:37 -0400

Just a shot in the dark here, but check your path.  Looks like the older FTPD is
found before the newer version.

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 12:18:09 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 12 Feb 1999, Charles Reese wrote

> and if I put the tcpd back in it again reverts back to 18(1).

sounds like a search PATH problem.  tcpd isn't looking where you've
installed the newer version.  could be in the environment or compiled into
tcpd.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195