Subject: RE: umask setting not possible ?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 99 15:16:55 +0100

Excuse me, I read the FAQ and maybe I'm missing something here but I 
just don't see
where 'guestgroup' would solve my problem ?  Where would I set the 
umask on the 
dirs, unless I could provide it to chroot at the time it's actually 
executed where
I would put something in the home-dir field in /etc/passwd like this :

melco:x:620:21:FTP users:/data1/home/melco.umask 000:/bin/false 

... assuming chroot would read the command after the '.' but I don't 
think it would work.

Jeeze ... maybe I should check out BeroFTPD that seems to have 
additional umask features ...

Timpie

-----Original Message-----
From: lundberg+wuftpd /SMTP/dd.RFC-822=[email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, February 04, 1999 2:04 PM
To: tim.schelfhout /belx1/dd.RFC-822=[email-masked]
Cc: lundberg+wuftpd /SMTP/dd.RFC-822=[email-masked]; wu-ftpd
/SMTP/dd.RFC-822=[email-masked]; schelfht
/belx1/dd.RFC-822=[email-masked]
Subject: Re: umask setting not possible ?

On Thu, 4 Feb 1999, Timpie wrote:

> I've set up an ftp server and puzzled with the following problem. I
> need users from a certain class with type guest umasked to 777 for all
> the files they upload to their chrooted dirs.  Unfortunately >From
> what I understand only Anonymous type users can be setup this way ...
> or am I mistaken ?

guestgroup.  read the FAQ.

> Any of you know something I don't, coz right now I have a cron job
> scheduled every 15 minutes to chmod the files in the specific dirs 
...  
> Stoopid but hey at least I get the job done for now

The VR and BeroFTPD versions also have additional umask and permission
features.  They are available from my ftp site:
ftp://ftp.vr.net/pub/wu-ftpd/

The location of the latest version of wu-ftpd can be found in the 
directory
 
      ftp://ftp.academ.com/pub/wu-ftpd/private/
 
You can't see the directory contents, so read the message informing you
of the actual filename to retrieve. It's there.
 
wu-ftpd Resource Center:  http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/
wu-ftpd FAQ:              http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html
wu-ftpd list archive:     http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/mail-archive/

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg  Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 09:54:25 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 4 Feb 1999 [email-masked] wrote:

> just don't see where 'guestgroup' would solve my problem ?  Where
> would I set the umask on the dirs, unless I could provide it to chroot
> at the time it's actually executed where I would put something in the
> home-dir field in /etc/passwd like this :
> 

The base daemon will work.

Your main problem is you're asking about umask when you should be looking
for permissions and those are on the upload clause.

> guestgroup.  read the FAQ.

anonymous and guests are chroot'd so no, not only anonymous can be set up
this way.

as far as permissions are concerned, it works for real users too.

--