Subject: Re: home dir: anonymous-yes, user-no (?)

From: "D. Carlos Knowlton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 11:17:38 -0600

>On Wed, 24 Feb 1999, D. Carlos Knowlton wrote:
>
>> 230-No directory! Logging in with home=/
>
>In summary:
>
>    if (!anonymous && !guest) {
>        if (chdir(pw->pw_dir) < 0) {
>            if (chdir("/") < 0) {
>                syslog (LOG_NOTICE, "FTP LOGIN FAILED (cannot chdir) for
>            } else {
>                lreply(230, "No directory! Logging in with home=/");
>
>A real user's /etc/passwd entry was messed up and the daemon got an error
>changing to it so it tried '/' and that worked.
>
>Check /etc/passwd for typos.

Okay, this is my password configuration:  I have my passwd file in /config
(renamed 'user' for added security), and a link at /etc/passwd pointing to
it.  This is the syntax of the passwd entries:

username:13CharHashPwd:1008:100:User Full Name (or
nothing):/home/user:/bin/bash

the '/usr/home/' directory has 'drwxrwxrwx' permissions, and is owned by
group 'all' (we have Samba running on this machine as well, so we set global
permissions to allow both smbd and wu-ftpd share the directories and set
their own permissions)

wu-ftpd-BETA-15 did alright with this, is there anything I need to change to
make wu-ftpd-BETA-18-vr14 work with it?

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 12:49:45 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 25 Feb 1999, D. Carlos Knowlton wrote:

> username:13CharHashPwd:1008:100::/home/user:/bin/bash
> 
> the '/usr/home/'

Which is it?

/usr/home

or

/usr/home/username

or

/home/user

or

/home/user/username

and does /./ appear in the passwd entry?

Also, any symlinks or NFS involved in these areas?

Finally, your symlink stuff on /etc/passwd is lame; all it's good for is
ensuring your successor will curse on your grave.  The world-writable
directory owned by all users is just asking for trouble; I don't think
it's needed for Samba and WU-FTPD to co-exist (I certainly never needed it
when I allowed smb connections on my production servers).

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg              Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195