Subject: Virtual FTP, and limiting to a directory?

From: Leif Ericksen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 14:29:38 -0600

Using WU-FTPD  (Version wu-2.4.2-academ[BETA-18](1) Thu Feb 4 08:38:09
CST 1999) ready.

I think I am missing some point.  I compiled this using the -D VIRTUAL
option and I still am having a few problems.

I have received some helpful information from Greggory Lundberg but I
have a few minor problems.  I can login as my virutal user, and I get
the desired directory.  However, this same user is able to switch to "/"
and go to other directories on the system.  

SETUP:
ftpaccess:
log commands real
log transfers anonymous,real inbound,outbound
  
guestuser user
guestgroup guests

virtual some-ip root    /export/home/leif/testftp/
virtual 2some-ip banner  /export/home/leif/testftp/banner.msg
virtual some-ip logfile /export/home/leif/testftp/xferlog
virtual somei-p allow   user
virtual some-ip email   tome

shutdown /etc/shutmsg

email tome

/etc/passwd has an entry like:

user:x:40001:21:test ftp:/export/home/leif/./testftp:/bin/ftponly

/etc/group has an entry like:

guests::21:

Now in the /export/home/testftp I have the 
./etc/   tha has a different passwd, and group file.  I have in ./bin a
few programs and cd IS NOT ONE of them.   If more information is
required let me know and I will give you what I can.

I reall am stuck as to why this user is able to get out of the direcotry
they should have been chroot() ed to..

Incidenntly this is on a Sparc 5 running Solaris 2.6 and I did a build
sol.

		-- Leif Ericksen
			[email-masked]

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 16:03:40 -0500 (EST)

> virtual some-ip email   tome

These are VR features.  The version stamp you give above makes me ponder
the possibilty you're not running the software you think you are.

The version stamp for the VR13 version looks like:

Version wu-2.4.2-academ[BETA-18-VR13](1) Tue Feb 9 15:22:47 EST 1999

The (1) is meaningless
The date and time are when the daemon was compiled.

there's a FAQ about this.  probably you forgot to restart inetd after
changing the inetd.conf
 
wu-ftpd Resource Center:  http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/
wu-ftpd FAQ:              http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html
wu-ftpd list archive:     http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/mail-archive/

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195