Subject: 421 Service not available on HP-UX 10.20 - release [BETA-18-VR14]

From: "Snyder, John D." <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 13:29:07 -0500

I have been running wu-ftpd vers 17 for quite some time with no
problems. Decided to build and install the ver 18 release, mainly
because of the recent CERT advisory about buffer overflow problems in
realpath.

Compiled fine, chkconfig looks good, BUT when I run  I get :

421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection
Login failed.
No control connection for command: No such file or directory

after typing in the user name.

I've run the daemon in standalone: ./ftpd -L -a -d -s Still get same
error.

Tried running trace on above: starts OK, forks OK but then it tries to
read

stat("/tcb/files/auth/r/root-t", 0x7b03b44c)

and

open("/tcb/files/auth/r/root", O_RDONLY)

when I try to login as root as an example.

Any help? Feels like a configure/compilation problem? What dumb thing
did I do now? Of course this always happens when you don't want to or
have time to get  into a heavy debugging session. 

I noticed some previous post, similar to mine. but saw no answers??

Thanks

---

From: Christopher Caldwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 14:26:49 -0500

Hmmm.  Looks like you might be compiling for trusted systems and you're not
running a trusted system.  Check to see if HPUX_10_TRUSTED is def'd somewhere.

In addition, root's shell on HP-UX should be /sbin/sh, not /usr/bin/sh, and 
/sbin/sh should *not* be in /etc/shells, so you shouldn't be able to ftp
with root's account.

-C