Subject: SSL and FTP

From: "Edward Perry" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 22:09:33 -0500

Is there anyone who can fill me in on these 3 questions about the SSL
ftp patch.

1. Is there any affect on standard ftp clients.
2. Are there any currently known bugs with it.
3. Is there any sites that it is currently running at?

Thanks in advance
Edward Perry

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 10:27:35 -0500 (EST)

> 1. Is there any affect on standard ftp clients.

Shouldn't be except you need to remember, only SSL-enabled clients use
SSL.  If you put up an SSL-only site, standard clients won't be able to
use it at all.

> 2. Are there any currently known bugs with it.

Considering the age of the SSL patch I know of, probably.

> 3. Is there any sites that it is currently running at?

Maybe a few.  Nobody would use SSL for a public FTP site.  Due to the lack
of clients it's really only usable in an inside (Intranet) deployment.

My recommendation for SSL would be to get one of the tunnelling programs
to separate the SSL layer from the client/daemon.  I've not heard of
anyone doing that with FTP, but I know it works well for Outlook Express's
POP/IMAP/NNTP clients using standard (non-SSL) servers.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195