Subject: home dir: anonymous-yes, user-no (?)

From: "D. Carlos Knowlton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 20:12:06 -0600

I have just upgraded my wu-ftpd from 2.4.2[BETA 15](1) to 2.4.2{BETA 18](14)
on my Linux 2.0.35 system.  It seemed to install well, and the anonymous
user functions just great, but when I logged in with recognized users, I got
this:

230-No directory! Logging in with home=/
230 User <username> logged in..

I'm not using shadow passwords, but I tried enabling then anyway, because
the FAQ suggested this as a possibility (okay, so I'm desperate! =).  It
worked nicely before my upgrade, what changed?

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 22:14:45 -0500 (EST)

> 230-No directory! Logging in with home=/

In summary:

    if (!anonymous && !guest) {
        if (chdir(pw->pw_dir) < 0) {
            if (chdir("/") < 0) {
                syslog (LOG_NOTICE, "FTP LOGIN FAILED (cannot chdir) for
            } else {
                lreply(230, "No directory! Logging in with home=/");

A real user's /etc/passwd entry was messed up and the daemon got an error
changing to it so it tried '/' and that worked.

Check /etc/passwd for typos.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg              Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195