Subject: Followup: Re: wu-ftpd on Digital Unix with Enhanced Security

From: Tony Warner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 14:31:32 -0800

thanks to Gregory Lundberg for his suggestions....

I am a bit closer now, but still having problems...

I've got version 2.4.2 beta 18.  Compiled it with "build osf"
(not "build dec" -- I couldn't get it to compile with that config file)

I modified the config.osf and Makefile.osf as required for C2 security
on Digital unix.

This works good in it's default state.  all ftp clients seem to have no
trouble accessing and working with the server.  
The problem comes when I try to enable the use of the ftpaccess file.
I change my inetd.conf file to use ftpd -a, and the server now denies 
access to all users, even anonymous users.

The daemon seems to be completely usable in the default state, but as soon
as I try to run it with the -a flag, it stops working.

Any ideas?

original question:

I have just compiled and installed wu-ftpd 2.4 on a Digital Alpha Personal
Workstation running DU 4.0D.

I made these changes according to the faq:

Make these changes to ./src/config/config.osf : 

        #define SecureWare
        #include <sys/secdefines.h>
        #include <sys/types.h>
        #include <sys/security.h>
        #include <sys/audit.h>
        #include <prot.h>
and add the following to ./src/makefiles/Makefile.osf 

        LIBES = -lsupport -lsecurity -laud

Then did "build osf".

That got it working pretty good from the command line.  However,
PC and MAC clients are not able to view any files once they 
are connected.

Connecting from a unix host with command line ftp works as expected.
using WS-FTP on a PC or Fetch on a MAC allows the conection but shows
no files.  I do not have any banners or messages displaying in my ftpaccess
file.  I only have one line in my ftpaccess file (for simplicity):

class   all   real,guest,anonymous  * 

Any ideas what I'm missing?

Thanks,
Tony Warner

*********************************************************************
Tony Warner						[email-masked]
General Atomics					(619) 455-4285

*********************************************************************

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 14:49:31 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 10 Feb 1999, Tony Warner wrote:

> I have just compiled and installed wu-ftpd 2.4 on a Digital Alpha
> Personal Workstation running DU 4.0D.

2.4 is very old and unsecure.  You should be using at least 2.4.2(beta-18)
if not the current VR or BeroFTPD versions.

> That got it working pretty good from the command line.  However, PC
> and MAC clients are not able to view any files once they are
> connected.

this is in the FAQ.  look for questions about 'ls doesn't work', which is
your problem.

wu-ftpd Resource Center:  http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/
wu-ftpd FAQ:              http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html
wu-ftpd list archive:     http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/mail-archive/

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 17:49:21 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 10 Feb 1999, Tony Warner wrote:

> I've got version 2.4.2 beta 18.  Compiled it with "build osf" (not
> "build dec" -- I couldn't get it to compile with that config file)

Hmm.  Base Beta-18?  You oughta subscribe to Bugtraq :P

> The daemon seems to be completely usable in the default state, but as
> soon as I try to run it with the -a flag, it stops working.

VR13 is known to work on DU4.  Some changes to the build system were
needed for DU4 so with VR13 do 'build du4' instead.

My WAG though is that the version of inetd you're running needs argv[0]
set to ftpd and it's eating up the '-a' thinking that's the program name
for argv[0]. Try adding 'ftpd' right after the program filename
(/usr/.../ftpd) on the inetd.conf line.  I forget the format since I don't
run stock inetd any more. :P

--

---

From: Tony Warner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 11:37:47 -0800

Hi,

I'm new to the list and have read the FAQ and most recent mail archives,
but can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for....

        #define SecureWare

Then did "build osf".

Thanks,
Tony Warner