Subject: wu-ftpd VR?

From: "Mona Wong" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 19:02:15 -0800

Hi:

	I've been off the wu-ftpd email list for quite some time so excuse my
ignorance; I did check the wu-ftpd FAQ for the answer to my question but didn't
find it.

	Basically, I understand wu-ftpd VR offers some advantages over wu-ftpd.
 However, why the name difference?  Is it a different package or just a rename
of wu-ftpd?

Mona

-- 
==================================================================
Mona Wong
graphics / visualization programmer wanna-be & web fool-arounder
National Center for Microscopy and Imaging Research
University of California, San Diego
http://www-ncmir.ucsd.edu
==================================================================

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 23:05:28 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 12 Feb 1999, Mona Wong wrote:

> Basically, I understand wu-ftpd VR offers some advantages over
> wu-ftpd.  However, why the name difference?  Is it a different package
> or just a rename of wu-ftpd?

I view the VR version as a series of patches to the Academ version 2.4.2
(beta-18).  For the first few months that's all they were.  So many
features had been requested, and so many bugs/design flaws found, that it
soon became too much to expect people to apply diffs and I started putting
out prepatched tarballs.  Obviously, with that much difference, there
should be some difference in the version string so you can tell which
you're running. Why VR? -----------+  I could'a called it GL, I guess.
                                   |
--                                 |
                                   V
Gregory A Lundberg              Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195