Subject: ftp, not shell; chroot

From: "x" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 15:59:07 +0100

- how can someone have ftp access and not shell..
i thought a simple passwd entry with shell /bin/nonexistent 
would do that.. but seems wu-ftpd needs a shell.........

- what i do i have to do to make wu-ftpd chroot to persons dir ?
(-..and one more.. is Beroftpd a continued development of wu-ftpd..
  should i use it instead ?)

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 10:21:52 -0500 (EST)

> would do that.. but seems wu-ftpd needs a shell.........

you need a entry in /etc/shells for this.  this is a FAQ.

The location of the latest version of wu-ftpd can be found in the 
directory
 
      ftp://ftp.academ.com/pub/wu-ftpd/private/
 
You can't see the directory contents, so read the message informing you
of the actual filename to retrieve. It's there.
 
wu-ftpd Resource Center:  http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/
wu-ftpd FAQ:              http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html
wu-ftpd list archive:     http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/mail-archive/

> - what i do i have to do to make wu-ftpd chroot to persons dir ?

read the man pages on guestgroup; this is covered in the FAQ as well.

> (-..and one more.. is Beroftpd a continued development of wu-ftpd..

Yes.

>   should i use it instead ?)

Depends on your requirements.  As things stand today, the current version
is 2.4.2 (beta-18) from Academ.  The VR seies adds a number of features
and fixes some bugs.  BeroFTPD has most of the VR stuff in it plus NEWVIRT
and other extensions, plus changes to a GNU autoconf build system.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195

---

From: Bernhard Rosenkraenzer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 19:20:17 +0100 (CET)

> would do that.. but seems wu-ftpd needs a shell.........

It is enough - you need to add /bin/nonexistent to /etc/shells, though.
Read the FAQ.

> - what i do i have to do to make wu-ftpd chroot to persons dir ?

man ftpaccess
Look for guestgroup and guest-root directives, and read the FAQ.

> is Beroftpd a continued development of wu-ftpd..

Yes.

>   should i use it instead ?)

If you need one of its new features or if you're worried about the
chroot() bug.

LLaP
bero

-- 
Windows 98 supports real multitasking - it can boot and crash simultaneously.
***
Anyone sending unwanted advertising e-mail to this address will be charged
$25 for network traffic and computing time. By extracting my address from
this message or its header, you agree to these terms.