Subject: BeroFTPD, Virtual Server ftpaccess files and the passwd directive

From: Dean Ashby <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 Feb 1999 16:19:36 +1300

Hi All,

I'm in the process of setting up a new Linux box and decided to take the
opportunity to switch from wu-ftp to BeroFTPD.

I want to have a separate passwd for each virtual server so started by setting
up ftpservers with just a single IP address to begin with.  I copied the
default ftpaccess file to the directory pointed to in ftpservers, and added a
passwd directive to point to an alternative password file.

The problem is (and I've seen it before on the list) is that when I log in
as the user in the alternative password file it fails.  If I re-issue the
USER command and try logging in as the same user again it works.

The good news is that after taking a look at the source code I can see why
this is happening.  The passwd directive is read by acl_setfunctions() in
access.c.  Unfortunately this is called after the call to bero_getpwnam()
that is used in ftpd.c user() to fetch the encrypted password.  The first
time bero_getpwnam() is called it looks in the default password, but by
the time it gets called the second time _path_passwd contains the path to
the alternative passwd file so everything works OK.

Any idea when this problem might be fixed?

Thanks,

Dean
 
-- 
+-------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Dean Ashby, [email-masked], ph 64-3-358-6992, fax 64-3-358-6999 |
| International Centre for Antarctic Information and Research (ICAIR)     |
| PO Box 14-199, Christchurch, New Zealand.  http://www.icair.iac.org.nz/ |
+-------------------------------------------------------------------------+

---

From: Bernhard Rosenkraenzer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 1999 16:21:37 +0100 (CET)

> Any idea when this problem might be fixed?

Right now - get 1.3.3.
Thanks for finding the bug. Speeded up fixing it by far.

LLaP
bero

-- 
Windows 98 supports real multitasking - it can boot and crash simultaneously.
***
Anyone sending unwanted advertising e-mail to this address will be charged
$25 for network traffic and computing time. By extracting my address from
this message or its header, you agree to these terms.