Subject: web ftp

From: "Srikanth A." <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 12:59:59 +0530

Hi,
        I have wu-ftp server installed.
I want to install web based ftp server.
Can some body tell me how to do this.
Do I need any package? If yes where can I get it?
What is the procedure for this.

Thanks in advance,
Srikanth

---

From: Bob Luckin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 99 10:41:29 CST

Hi Srikanth,

> What is the procedure for this.

I'm not sure what you mean by a web based server.  Most web browsers already
have the capability to talk to FTP servers, if that is all you need.
Netscape and IE 4 certainly do.

However, unless you set up wu-ftpd as an anonymous server, people trying to
access the FTP server via a browser will still need to supply a password.
Is this what you are really enquiring about ?

Cheers, Bob
-- 
Bob Luckin      [email-masked]      "Coder, adapt.  FTP Ada, redo C."
                                 [http://www.dhc.net/~luckin/palindromes.html]

---

From: John-Paul Pagano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 11:54:40 -0500

>Is this what you are really enquiring about ?

And, if it is, it should be noted that IE 4 is broken as far as supplying
the user:[email-masked] syntax to enter a particular user's account.
 Netscape isn't, as long as you don't use characters in the username and
password that the browser considers special, i.e. the # symbol.

--
John-Paul Pagano
Unix Systems Administrator
Voice: (212) 208-0828
Fax: (212) 825-1040

---

From: Bob Luckin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 99 11:19:43 CST

> password that the browser considers special, i.e. the # symbol.

Actually, some versions of Netscape have a bug as well.  If you try to connect
using the user:[email-masked] format, and your NOPROXY variable is set
to site.com (ie. the FTP server is an internal site), then Netscape may
connect you via the proxy when it shouldn't.  If your proxy server happens to
be outside your firewall, then it can't see your internal machine, which
causes a bit of a problem...

I understand that Netscape were informed about this several years ago,
but I still see this problem in some UNIX versions - for example
Netscape 4.06 for Solaris 2 (I just tested it to make sure).

Cheers, Bob
-- 
"On mega data disks, attempt FTP. An inapt FTP; met task's ID a tad. A gem, no?"
Bob Luckin       [email-masked]       [http://www.dhc.net/~luckin/palindromes.html]