Subject: client login prob

From: johnmiller <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 1999 12:01:58 -0700

- I'm having a problem logging into my ftp server from any client
running on a windows platform, but no trouble at all from my linux box.
is there a setting somewhere that will allow non-unix type clients to
log onto my ftp server?  thanks for your help.

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 14:47:53 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 1 Feb 1999, johnmiller wrote:

> I'm having a problem logging into my ftp server from any client
> running on a windows platform, but no trouble at all from my linux
> box. is there a setting somewhere that will allow non-unix type
> clients to log onto my ftp server?  thanks for your help.

Non-unix clients have no problems.  Check the FAQ, check your system logs.
What exactly is the problem?

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195

---

From: johnmiller <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 1999 15:14:31 -0700

the system seems to be authenticating the users from the windows
machines, but it takes so long that the ftp clients timeout (several
minutes).  Is this an ftp prob or something else?  I've looked through
the log files, but i can't find any error messages.  the users are
connecting to the system, but not to the ftp service. thanks for your
help.

---

From: Ted Keller <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 18:43:39 -0500 (EST)

This sounds like a DNS problem.  You may want to make sure the DNS on your
ftp server (or the DNS server it points to) can quickly resolve reverse
apra entries.  From the sounds of it, a reverse DNS lookup is requested -
but the DNS server goes through serveral time-outs before reporting back
that it can't resolve it.  Possibly the DNS server doesn't point to the
root name servers?

ted keller - bfg.com