Subject: Upload with guestgroup

From: Lutz Henckel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 17:23:44 +0100

We are using wu-ftp.2.4.2-BETA18-VR14 and have the following
problem with guest users:

/etc/ftpaccess contains:
	upload /usr/ftp	* no
	upload /usr/ftp /pub/guest/incoming yes user group 0660 dirs 0770
	guestgroup guest

/etc/passwd contains:
	guest:x:5000:5001:FTP Guest:/usr/ftp/./pub/guest:/bin/sync

/etc/group
	group::5001:

Directory permissions:
/usr/ftp/pub/guest            drwxrws---  user	group
/usr/ftp/pub/guest/incoming   drwxrws---  user  group

Login with user guest works fine with chroot and he/she is
directly in /usr/ftp/pub/guest directory. In ftpaccess
it is configured that nobody can upload files to
any directory except the incoming one. Nevertheless the
guest user is able to upload a file to the guest directory.
Furthermore if a file is uploaded to the incoming directory
it does not get the permissions and ownership which are specified
in the corresponding upload statement.

For anonymous FTP users uploads work correct using a simular
configuration as well as it works with the unpatched
wu-ftp.2.4.2-BETA18 version for guest users.

It would be helpfull to get some hints, about what's wrong with
this configuration or if it's a bug.

Thanks
 
-- 
Lutz Henckel                 Phone  : ++49 / (0)30 / 3463 - 7237
GMD FOKUS                    Fax    : ++49 / (0)30 / 3463 - 8237
Kaiserin-Augusta-Allee 31    E-Mail : [email-masked]
D-10589 Berlin, Germany      WWW    :
http://www.fokus.gmd.de/usr/lutz.henckel

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 13:42:09 -0500 (EST)

> 	guest:x:5000:5001:FTP Guest:/usr/ftp/./pub/guest:/bin/sync

Add guest to group in /etc/group:
group::5001:guest

> this configuration or if it's a bug.

See ftp://ftp.vr.net/pub/wu-ftpd/upload.configuration.HOWTO

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg              Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195