Subject: Re: BeroFTPD logins

From: Bernhard Rosenkraenzer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 16:33:34 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 10 Feb 1999, Andrew Bennett wrote:

> I have compiled and installed BeroFTPD-1.2.3 on FreeBSD 2.2.8-STABLE

Try 1.3.3 - it includes some compatibility fixes (and will be released as
1.2.4 next week if I don't hear of any problems until then).

> 1. real users can't login

I can't reproduce this on FreeBSD 4.0-CURRENT and Linux. Please tell me if
the problem is still there with 1.3.3.

There's a typo in your ftpaccess:

> guestgroup ftp-only
             ^^^^^^^^
[...]
> message /.welcome.ftponly   login ftponly
                                    ^^^^^^^

> I have compiled in vhost and SKEY support,

SKEY support might be the problem - I don't have an SKEY installation, so
I can't test this particular feature. I haven't heard of any problems with
it so far, so I'm assuming it works.

LLaP
bero

-- 
Windows 98 supports real multitasking - it can boot and crash simultaneously.
***
Anyone sending unwanted advertising e-mail to this address will be charged
$25 for network traffic and computing time. By extracting my address from
this message or its header, you agree to these terms.

---

From: Andrew Bennett <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 21:18:32 -0800

Greetings!

I have compiled and installed BeroFTPD-1.2.3 on FreeBSD 2.2.8-STABLE and
am having problems getting it to run as a replacement for wu-ftpd-b13,
which was working fine.

I have two problems:
1. real users can't login
2. anonymous users can login, but are considered 'guest' users

My ftpaccess file contains these relevant lines:

guestgroup ftp-only
class   local    real,anonymous RealSiteName.org
class   remote   real,anonymous *
class   ftponly  guest *
message /.welcome.ftp       login local remote
message /.welcome.ftponly   login ftponly

I know that anonymous users are being considered guest users because they
get the /.welcome.ftponly message upon logging in. Under wu-b13, anonymous
users are considered anonymous, not guest.

Nothing has changed about my configuration from wu-b13 to Bero-1.2.3.
/etc/shells is good, /etc/passwd is good, /etc/group contains an
'ftp-only' group that applies to some users, but not user 'ftp'.

I have compiled in vhost and SKEY support, but am not using them at this
time. Other compilation-time options, except the install directory
(/usr/local/beroftpd) and the config file directory
(/usr/local/etc/beroftpd) are defaults.

Any suggestions?  Places to look?  Things to do?

Thanks in advance!

Andrew