Subject: Re: Erratic listing (SOLVED)

From: "Stig Isaksson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 17:29:21 GMT+200

Hi all,

A couple of days ago I wrote to this list about my hardships in 
relation to ftp client listings of directories with 8-bit characters 
in the file names. It's solved now, principally thanks to advice from 
Gregory L. and Wally W. Since I believe the solution could be of 
common interest at least to people who run wu-ftpd on Solaris systems 
I will summarize it briefly here:

Copy the directory structure /locale/C/ from /usr/bin to ~usr/bin. 
When the ls command encounters file names with highbit characters in 
them it calls loadtab which tries to open the file 
~/usr/lib/locale/C/LC_CTYPE/ctype which consequently must be present 
in the chrooted area. If it isn't, the listing gets terribly 
corrupted on the client.

Just now Greg tells me this is in the FAQ after all. It must be sort 
of hidden though, for I perused the FAQ before, and now I made some 
searches there again (keywords: LC_CTYPE, ctype, 8-bit, highbit, 
listing, usr/lib, Solaris etc.) and studied the Solaris chapter 
closely, but was unable find it. Hm.

Anyway, I sincerely hope this message might save some of you from the 
frustration I went through on my way to enlightenment.

Greetings from Lund, Sweden,
Stig
------------------------------------------------------------
Stig Isaksson
Dialekt- och ortnamnsarkivet
Helgonabacken 14
S-223 62 LUND
S W E D E N
tel.: +46 46 222 74 68   fax: +46 46 15 23 81
e-mail: [email-masked]
http://www.dal.lu.se/

<Forstaor MIME    Understands MIME>
------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 10:48:29 -0500 (EST)

> closely, but was unable find it. Hm.

The oft-overlooked Swiss Army knife of debugging problems with 'ls' and
the other ~ftp/bin programs:

-- from the FAQ http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html

10. Programs (ls, gzip, tar) work for real users, not for anonymous users,
giving errors like 425 Can't create data socket (0.0.0.0,20): Bad file
number or simply no output.

First, consider if you can't relink them staticly so the shared libraries
aren't needed. You can get the GNU fileutils from :
<URL:ftp://prep.ai.mit.edu/pub/gnu/fileutils-3.16.tar.gz> (version numbers
may vary).

For different operating systems, different libraries and/or devices are
needed. You can test if things are running correctly by doing a chroot to
the ftp homedir. To test if /bin/ls is working in the ~ftp dir, type :

chroot ~ftp /bin/ls

Or, the partition is mounted -nosuid which gives the same error under
SunOS or Solaris, more information on the page
<URL:http://www.stokely.com/stokely/sunservice.tips/11991.html>

-- 

what's new here, and not suprising when you think about it, is that
localization files will be needed to handle some character sets.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg              Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195