Subject: Hack into wu-ftpd

From: Alex Yu <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 14:12:04 -0500

Hi,

I want to know any possibile ways to hack into wu-ftpd.

Alex

---

From: Teeradetch Nawasuttipong <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1999 03:03:05 +0700 (ICT)

I compiled wu-ftpd 2.8.2 beta 18 VR14 on RedHat Linux 5.2
and I found that I can't ftp to server as root. How can I solve it?

And problem about ftpwho is when I use it, it can only display one line
per connection so I can't see detail about file that connection is
downloading. How can I solve it ?

Thank you very much.

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 15:50:21 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 21 Feb 1999, Teeradetch Nawasuttipong wrote:

> I compiled wu-ftpd 2.8.2 beta 18 VR14 on RedHat Linux 5.2 and I found
> that I can't ftp to server as root. How can I solve it?

You don't want to.

> And problem about ftpwho is when I use it, it can only display one
> line per connection so I can't see detail about file that connection
> is downloading. How can I solve it ?

I use ps and grep:

ps axwww | grep ftpd

Redhat has a patch which adds this kind of capabililty to their RPM
version.  I'll probably be including their patch in a future version of
the server.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg              Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195

---

From: Alex Yu <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 16:05:37 -0500

Hello All,

How to check security on wu-ftpd?

Alex