Subject: Default Location of Log Files?

From: Chris Baar <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 08:47:20 -0700

I have been running 2.4.2-beta-18 very successfully for several months now
on a FreeBSD 3.0 system.  My only problem is I don't know where my logs
are. :)

In inetd.conf, I am calling ftpd with the flagset "-la".  The "l" should
enable logging, correct?  Is there an easy way to determine the path that
this is using for logging?  I don't ever remember specifiying a path or a
name.  Is there a default path or filename for these logs (ftp.log or
something)?

The only file I found that sounded reasonable was "/var/log/xferlog", but
it isn't being written to (even when writable by anybody).

Chris Baar
[email-masked]

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 11:08:16 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 12 Feb 1999, Chris Baar wrote:

> I have been running 2.4.2-beta-18 very successfully for several months
> now on a FreeBSD 3.0 system.  My only problem is I don't know where my
> logs are. :)

$strings ftpd | grep xferlog
/var/log/xferlog
xferlog (send): %s
xferlog (recv): %s

> In inetd.conf, I am calling ftpd with the flagset "-la".  The "l"
> should enable logging, correct?  Is there an easy way to determine the
> path that this is using for logging?  I don't ever remember
> specifiying a path or a name.  Is there a default path or filename for
> these logs (ftp.log or something)?
> 
> The only file I found that sounded reasonable was "/var/log/xferlog",
> but it isn't being written to (even when writable by anybody).

check your ftpaccess file.  Make sure you're telling the daemon to log:
  log transfer real,guest,anonymous inbound,outbound

If that doesn't do it, try also adding -i and -o options to the command
line in inetd.conf (don't forget to -HUP the inetd process if you do).

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195