Subject: how to choose a ftpd

From: "M. van den Berg" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 11:29:50 +0100

Nowadays there are 4 ftpd players in the field, wu-ftpd / wu-ftpd-VR /
beroftpd and proftpd .
can someone give some advice on how to select which one to use.
Thanks

---

From: John-Paul Pagano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 10:37:21 -0500

>From what I've learned very recently, if you are planning on setting up a
public or at least publically accessible FTP server, as opposed to an
internal site that doesn't require security enhancements, then choose
wu-ftpd-VR over plain wu-ftpd.  The latter is a more secure version of the
former that has patches to prevent attackers from stack smashing your server.

The other two I don't know anything about.

--
John-Paul Pagano
Unix Systems Administrator
Voice: (212) 208-0828
Fax: (212) 825-1040