Subject: Re: SSL and FTP

From: "Edward Perry" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 04:11:44 -0500

What would be some of the FTP clients that support the SSL patch

-----Original Message-----
From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
To: Edward Perry <[email-masked]>
Cc: WU - FTP <[email-masked]>
Date: Monday, February 01, 1999 11:59 AM
Subject: Re: SSL and FTP

On Mon, 1 Feb 1999, Edward Perry wrote:

> Is there anyone who can fill me in on these 3 questions about the
SSL
> ftp patch.
>
> 1. Is there any affect on standard ftp clients.

Shouldn't be except you need to remember, only SSL-enabled clients use
SSL.  If you put up an SSL-only site, standard clients won't be able
to
use it at all.

> 2. Are there any currently known bugs with it.

Considering the age of the SSL patch I know of, probably.

> 3. Is there any sites that it is currently running at?

Maybe a few.  Nobody would use SSL for a public FTP site.  Due to the
lack
of clients it's really only usable in an inside (Intranet) deployment.

My recommendation for SSL would be to get one of the tunnelling
programs
to separate the SSL layer from the client/daemon.  I've not heard of
anyone doing that with FTP, but I know it works well for Outlook
Express's
POP/IMAP/NNTP clients using standard (non-SSL) servers.

--

Gregory A Lundberg Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 16:30:28 -0500 (EST)

> What would be some of the FTP clients that support the SSL patch

To my knowledge, the only one which does is the one at the site where the
SSL patch for the daemon is found (which site I can never remember and
have to search Yahoo! for).

--