Subject: ftpwho/ftpcount

From: "Scott Parmenter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 16:43:27 -0800

Hi there,

What do I need to do to make ftpcount and ftpwho function?  Currently,
users are never displayed.

Scott

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 06:28:45 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 7 Jan 1999, Scott Parmenter wrote:

> What do I need to do to make ftpcount and ftpwho function?  
> Currently, users are never displayed.

Read access to /etc/ftpaccess and the pid files comes to mind.  What
happens if the superuser runs the commands?

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195

---

From: "Scott Parmenter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 1999 10:22:24 -0800

> happens if the superuser runs the commands?

Same thing, but now I know why.  It was a peculiarity of Trusted
Solaris.  After I stopped kicking myself and fixed it, they work fine.
Thanks for everyone's suggestions, they sparked my memory.

Scott

---

From: "Scott Parmenter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 1999 11:51:05 -0800

Greg Piney wrote:

> Scott Parmenter wrote:
> Scott,
> Could you be specific on what the problem was and how to fix it? I am
> having
> the same problem and haven't a clue.

Certainly!  My mistake was pretty basic, though, so I don't know if this
applies in your case.  In Trusted Solaris, when an executable is created or
modified, it loses all privileges it may have had.  So, every time I used
the build script to compile and install the ftp server, the ftpwho and
ftpcount executables were also recopied to /usr/sbin, effectively losing
their privileges.  My (temporary) solution was to use the secadmin role to
give them forced privileges.

Let me know if this doesn't address your problem or if you'd like more
details.  I'm no expert in TSOL, but I'm willing to try to help.

Scott