Subject: Re: wu-ftpd 2.4.2 beta 18 compiling on Digital Unix 4.0D with C2

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 22:17:06 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 8 Jan 1999, Coranth Gryphon wrote:

> --- ftpcmd.y.orig       Fri Jan  8 20:05:16 1999
> +++ ftpcmd.y    Fri Jan  8 20:08:24 1999
> @@ -1242,7 +1242,13 @@
>          dostr1:
>              if (cbuf[cpos] == ' ') {
>                  cpos++;
> -                state = state == OSTR ? STR2 : ++state;
> +
> +                /** state = state == OSTR ? STR2 : ++state; **/
> +                if (state == OSTR) 
> +                       state = STR2;
> +                else
> +                       state++;
> +
>                  return (SP);
>              }
>              break;

Much better patch.  Shows what a few minutes thinking can do.  Thanks.

> > I believe I have a fix for this in the VR patches but I'd have to look.
> 
> Forgive the question, but are the "VR patches" a more up-to-date or
> canonical version of wu-ftp than the academ.com set?  I tired getting
> into contact with the patch maintainer listed in the FAQ regarding
> some updates I've made, but have yet to receive a reply.

Well now, that's the question, isn't it?

I don't know what you mean by 'more canonical version'.  The VR version of
the daemon is a series of patches I've gleaned from the mailing list
archives, feature requests from the archives, and bugs noted along the
way.

Stan Barber, the so-called maintainer, has repeatedly stated his policy
against accepting any new features from anyone.  He will tell you that any
new feature is for the 'next version' .. but don't ask when that version
will be since he's promised it several times over the past few years and
has yet to deliver.

My feeling is that unless the daemon grows to meet the _current_ needs of
the users, it will die off.  So, the VR series of patches was born to try
to address the issues people had felt strongly enough about to post to the
mailing list.

As for your patches .. send them over and I'll take a look at them.  If
I've not already got the feature and there's a reasonable case for adding
it, I'll see what I can do about rolling them into an upcoming VR patch
set.

I release patches on the 1st of each month (originally, it was the 1st and
the 15th, but I had to slow down as I'd done all the easy stuff and was
left with things which needed more time).  So it you have a patch which
doesn't make into one month, it may be there the next.

In closing I point out that I'm nearing the end of the list of ideas I
gleaned from the mailing list archives.  In not too many months, I'll have
completed all the new features and bug fixes I currently have in hand.  
So, I'm more than happy to look at what others, like you, have done and to
discuss other improvements since that puts off the day when all I have
left to do is wait for bug reports to find something to work on.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195