Subject: How specify virtual xferlog files in BeroFTPD?

From: Roger Hanke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 22:31:14 -0500

Bernhard,
 Went back and reread every piece of delivered documentation
and still found the only references to logfile in the VIRTUAL
support file. That says if you are using multiple ftpaccess files
then can use root and logfile directives to specify where users
of that virtual server should be chrooted and where their transfers
should be logged. So obviously you replaced the root directive
with your new anonymous-root and guest-root directives, but
what happened to the logfile directive? Included the doc section 
I am talking about below for those that did not follow my 
description here (from BeroFTPD 1.2.3).

 So dug into the code and found that all the logfile directive
code was still there identical to the Beta 13 version I had been
running. Then traced down the OLDVIRT define you have 
surrounding all those old code sections. Finally found that
a configuration option not listed in your INSTALL file, 
--enable-oldvirt, will define OLDVIRT and built a new server
version with this option on. So now went back to the old
style directives, root and logfile, in my multiple ftpaccess
files. And once I figured out that I still had to use
anonymous-root everything worked fine. So I presume 
you dont expect people to be using --enable-oldvirt 
since you didnt publicize it. That the original newvirt code
is basically deprecated now similar to the original wuftpd 
virtual code. So what about creating anonymous-logfile
and guest-logfile directives like you did with the root 
directive, or just put the logfile directive back like there used
to be? It really is very useful to specify a logfile location
for each virtual server just like you specify a root location.
Especially once you are setup this way and making use of it ;-)
Please let me know what you think.
	Thanks,
	Roger Hanke

   ----------------------------
   7.3 Virtual ftpaccess files:
   ----------------------------

   For each virtual domain that you want to support, you have the option
   to create a ftpaccess file specific for that domain. This will
override
   completely what you have in the Master ftpaccess file.  This file
must
   contain all directives. If you do not create an ftpaccess file for a
   specific domain, the domain will use the Master ftpaccess file
settings.

   The only additions to the ftpaccess file that you need to make over a
   non-virtual version is the "root" and "logfile" directives.  These
act
   to assure the proper ftpd root directory is used for each of the
supported
   virtual domains.  The logfile directive is used to specify where you
want
   the transfer logs recorded for that specific virtual domain.  A
sample is
   specfied below.

        root     /ftp
        logfile  /var/log/xferlog