Subject: Standalone questions for beta-18-VR10

From: "Scott Parmenter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 18:59:38 -0800

Hi, there,

I had some questions regarding the wu-ftp standalone modes.  What are
the tradeoffs to using the -s or -S  options?  In the ftpd man page, it
mentions that one runs in the foreground while the other runs in the
background, but I'm not sure about the implications of that.  In what
situations is one option more desireable than the other?

Thanks,
Scott

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 22:12:46 -0500 (EST)

> situations is one option more desireable than the other?

The difference is how the program starts.  In foreground, it doesn't spawn
a child and terminate.  Foreground mode is good for things like starting
from /etc/inittab which watches for the termination to start the daemon
again. Background appears to terminate but leave the daemon running (a
true daemon).  Background if for starting with init startup scripts
(/etc/rc.d/...) which need the program to (appear to) terminate so the
scripts can continue execution.

Which is more desirable depends on how you want to start the daemon.  
Most people use scripts, but that's not necessarily any better or worse
than using /etc/inittab.  It's simply the way stuff like this is
traditionally done.  ( Well, there is a tradeoff in using /etc/inittab ..
it's harder to kill off the daemon since the init process will immedeately
start a new copy. )

Except for the startup difference, there is no tradeoff or difference
between the -s and -S modes.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195