Subject: [VR12] More enhancements and bug fixes for beta-18

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 1999 12:00:00 -0500 (EST)

The VR12 patch set for WU-FTPD 2.4.2 (beta-18) is now available. 

This set includes additional features requested over the years by the user
community and includes a number of bug fixes for both the base (beta-18)
release and earlier VR patch sets.  An important new feature, which has
been frequently requested and has been on Stan Barber's TODO for quite
some time is discussed below.  Unfortunately, the manpage updates for this
feature were overlooked with this release; they will appear in VR13 (due
out February 1, 1999).

These are available as both patches and pre-patched tarballs at my ftp
site: 

  ftp://ftp.vr.net/pub/wu-ftpd/

  MD5                               Package
  ---                               -------
  7a4b7e3778b8c60772bd6d6b8321a458  wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-18-vr12.tar.Z
  987f0217981334c3cceabf63500b28ce  wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-18-vr12.tar.gz

  bcd74875a953676ba9f8de4c315f9712  wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-18-vr3.patch
  863e294eddfe2c772cd9c541372c7e1d  wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-18-vr4.patch
  8f7d523eff5785a901d8ec9330e7b2a4  wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-18-vr5.patch
  891ea301ab535e3aa55c5da4c3b3dd37  wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-18-vr6.patch
  dc1672289c2da25880f7c63f21b37122  wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-18-vr7.patch
  602b1431727261a4b16340853f6d81c3  wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-18-vr8.patch
  9eee17b78a3a245dd71476e9426baaa0  wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-18-vr9.patch
  c85059908d124be5a6a9c8331c5322c0  wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-18-vr10.patch
  fb9596c5950cee6bad0e0d70fa168ccf  wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-18-vr11.patch
  caaeceacb995768c8f99628fe54af798  wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-18-vr12.patch

If you take just the patch files, please remember: they are cumulative. 
you cannot apply fixes from one set without earlier sets already having
been applied.  The first set for BETA-18 is VR3; VR1 and VR2 were for
BETA-17 only. 

Several pre-compiled binaries for VR12 are also available.  These include: 

  MD5                               Sun/SunOS
  ---                               ---------
  000a88496ec9d9d2e24851a6e8bfb835  sunos41x-ftpbin.tar.gz  (FTP support executables, ls etc.)
  388a598cdf80676e9c1ecf39eff85f5d  wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-18-vr12-SunOS-4.1.3_U1.tar.gz
  68437ae612dbcf8991dc0366e1e4d061  wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-18-vr12-SunOS-5.6.tar.gz

  MD5                               Sun/Solaris
  ---                               -----------
  ae330dd0a4c6b8e4ae1379c5d5fea7ae  FTP242b18.wu-ftpd.2.4.2-beta18-VR12.SPARC.ULTRASparc.2.5.1.2.5.pkg.tar.Z
  a23a1728fe012f7eea3407251f112c11  FTP242b18.wu-ftpd.2.4.2-beta18-VR12.SPARC.ULTRASparc.2.5.1.2.5.pkg.tar.gz

  MD5                               Sun/NetBSD
  ---                               ----------
  923e01ce0bfa5572222a3e120b87b97c  wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-18-vr12-NetBSD-1.3I-sparc.tar.gz

  MD5                               SGI/IRIX
  ---                               --------
  05b65474f13187cb7f2d96471c48138a  irix62-ftpbin.tar.gz  (FTP support executables, ls etc.)
  c437b6487e56419d48589857d78dba25  wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-18-vr12-IRIX-6.2.tar.gz

  MD5                               DEC/Unix
  ---                               --------
  dd1f83273c42b742680f1c9292c1a934  wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-18-vr12-OSF1-3.2-C2.tar.gz

  MD5                               Intel/Linux
  ---                               -----------
  669fcd35597a207aec6917759b1a0c52  ftp.bin.linux.i386.tar.gz  (FTP support executables, ls etc.)
  3f03e2d41d03471be542afbdfa05462c  wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-18-vr12.linux.i386.tar.gz

Thanks to all those who helped with debugging and built the pre-compiled
binaries.

NEW FEATURE
-----------
The ftpaccess file now allows a phrase 'class=<classname>' on several of
the clauses.  With this feature, for instance, uploads for a specific class
of users may be defined.

The clauses allowing 'class=<classname>' are:

upload         [absolute|relative|class=<classname>]... [-]
                   <root-dir> <dirglob> yes|no [<owner> <group> <mode>]
                   [dirs|nodirs [<dmode>]]
noretrieve     [absolute|relative|class=<classname>]... [-] <filename>...
allow-retrieve [absolute|relative|class=<classname>]... [-] <filename>...

chmod          yes|no <typelist>
delete         yes|no <typelist>
overwrite      yes|no <typelist>
rename         yes|no <typelist>
umask          yes|no <typelist>
path-filter    <typelist> <mesg> <allowed-charset> <disallowed>...

The <typelist> above is defined as:
<typelist> ::= real|guest|anonymous|class=<classname>[,<typelist>]

An example of the use of class=<classname> to allow uploads from on-campus
hosts only (in this case the reserved network 10):

class local anonymous 10.0.0.0/8
upload class=local /home/ftp /home/ftp/incoming yes admin admin 440 nodirs

This is a list of fixes to BETA 18 with VR11 applied from [email-masked]
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email-masked] reported problems with NFS and the new realpath code
in VR10.  On Dec 1, 1998, he submitted a patch to the mailing list to fix
the error.  The original patch caused some problems with several security
models; this error has been corrected.

[email-masked] reported a coding error in access.c and submitted a
patch for it on Nov 26, 1998.  This error prevented proper use of the
address:netmask form for access control.

[email-masked] found some errors in the support for quota on DEC
Unix 4.0(B) and submitted a patch on Dec 2, 1998.

Added 'class=' parameter for noretrieve, allow-retreieve, path-filter,
delete, umask, chmod, overwrite, rename and upload clauses.  Cleaned up
the functions a bit for readability.  This closes Stan's TODO item 4.
This was originally from a request sent to the mailing list by
[email-masked] on March 20, 1995.

The cleanup in the above patch also cleared up some potential problems
with the upload clause.  The daemon is no longer critically sensitive to
minor formatting errors on this clause.

The ftpwho and ftpcount commands internally use ps(1).  Appearently, on
at least Linux, there's a move afoot to change the ps(1) command so it
no longer accepts dashes on the command-line options.  How annoying.  Ah
well, if the target is Linux, use ps(1) without dashes to make the silly
command shut UP!

Preload the ftpaccess file before becoming a daemon.  This can have a big
impact on the performance for busy sites.  It also loads before the chroot
command-line option so the /etc/ftpaccess file does not need to be in the
protected area.

Added a compile-time option to suppress syslog messages about pid locks
forcing a sleep.

[email-masked] reported a missing library for SGI and a few small
tweaks for NetBSD when building binaries for this release.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195