Subject: wu-ftpd port

From: Konrad Kokoszkiewicz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 20:08:31 +0100 (EET)

Hi,

Sorry if this message is off topic or something. I need some help and I
hope this is a correct place to ask on.

I want to port the wu-ftpd server to a system called MiNT. In fact, I
partially succeeded, i.e. I managed to setup the config file and Makefile
so that the binary builds and even works with no change to the source 
files. However, there are some problems:

- the server doesn't recognize wildcards. I.e. if you want to 
  download a file `foo.bar' and type `get foo*', the server replies 
  that there's no such file. Moreover, `mget foo*' replies something 
  about invalid pathnames.

- the server doesn't display message files (.message) and notifications
  about readme files.

I tried to find this out using supplied docfiles and the source code, 
but I didn't succeed. Thus my question, what's wrong there?

This is 2.4.2-beta-15, pretty old, I guess that there is a newer 
release somewhere, right?

Thanks,

--
Konrad M.Kokoszkiewicz
|mail: [email-masked]                  | Atari Falcon030/TT030/65XE |
|http://www.obta.uw.edu.pl/~draco/
|http://draco.atari.org

** Ea natura multitudinis est,
** aut servit humiliter, aut superbe dominatur (Liv. XXIV,25)
*************************************************************
** U pospolstwa normalne jest, ze albo sluzy ono unizenie,
** albo bezczelnie sie panoszy.

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 15:05:49 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 7 Jan 1999, Konrad Kokoszkiewicz wrote:

> partially succeeded, i.e. I managed to setup the config file and
> Makefile so that the binary builds and even works with no change to
> the source files. However, there are some problems:
> 

The current release is 2.4.2 (beta-18) from academ.

The location of the latest version of wu-ftpd can be found in the 
directory
 
      ftp://ftp.academ.com/pub/wu-ftpd/private/
 
You can't see the directory contents, so read the message informing you
of the actual filename to retrieve. It's there.
 
wu-ftpd Resource Center:  http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/
wu-ftpd FAQ:              http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html
wu-ftpd list archive:     http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/mail-archive/

-- 

That said, I'll go on ...

Obstensibly, Stan Barber <[email-masked]> is the maintainer.  His policy
is not to add any new features to the daemon until it is 'bug free'
(whatever _that_ means).

I've been working on additional features for the daemon.  The VR series is
based upon Beta 18 with a number of bug fixes and new features.  The
current version of my series is 2.4.2 (Beta 18) VR12.

Bernhard Rosenkraenzer <[email-masked]> has been working on a
version of the daemon which, among a number of other things, uses GNU
autoconf in the build process.  His series is called BeroFTPD and the
current version is 1.3.1.

Both my version and Bernard's are available at my FTP site:

  ftp://ftp.vr.net/pub/wu-ftpd/

I would be happy to help you figure out what's needed to get the daemon
working on your target platform.  When you're done, I would be willing to
add the support to the VR series.

If you choose to try it and Bernard's autoconf doesn't build and work
correctly, I'm fairly sure (but you'd have to ask him) that he'd be
willing to fold in the changes needed to get autoconf to build for you if
you can provide him the necessary changes.

-- 

As to your specific problem:

The first thing I'd do is get away from using an FTP client and test using
Telnet.  Commands such as 'get' and 'mget' are client commands and not FTP
commands, so you can never be quite sure what's going on.  Using a direct
Telnet gives you complete control over the session and you can see exactly
what the daemon is saying.

He's an example session to my FTP server:

$telnet ftp.vr.net ftp
Trying 205.133.13.13...
Connected to www.vr.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 ftp.vr.net FTP server ready.
USER ftp
331 Guest login ok, send your complete e-mail address as password.
PASS [email-masked]
230 Guest login ok, access restrictions apply.
PASV
227 Entering Passive Mode (205,133,13,13,16,96)
RETR /pub/wu-ftpd/.message

( A little quick math here: (16*256)+96=4192.  Open another telnet
  session, which I'll add below. )

150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for /pub/wu-ftpd/.message (2730 bytes).
226 Transfer complete.
QUIT
221-You have transferred 2823 bytes in 1 files.
221-Total traffic for this session was 3233 bytes in 1 transfers.
221-Thank you for using the FTP service on ftp.vr.net.
221 Goodbye.
Connection closed by foreign host.

$telnet 205.133.13.13 4192
Trying 205.133.13.13...
Connected to www.vr.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
In this directory you'll find current fixes and extensions for the
WU-FTPD FTP Daemon as well as source kits for the other programs
usually needed to build an anonymous FTP site.

  FIXES-2.4.2-BETA-18-VR3
  FIXES-2.4.2-BETA-18-VR4
  FIXES-2.4.2-BETA-18-VR5
( snip )
about it unless you clean it up and send it back.

If you need help with the daemon, check out the following sites:

wu-ftpd Resource Center:  http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/
wu-ftpd FAQ:              http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html
wu-ftpd list archive:     http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/mail-archive/
Connection closed by foreign host.

Now, you'll notice the RETR command names a specific file.  There is no
way to tell the daemon to get or mget.  The remote client, if it supports
the feature, will have to do it by using LIST or NLST to get a directory
listing and use the results from that to generate a series of RETR
commands to do what you intended.  For more about this, I refer you to RFC
959 (also available at my FTP site).

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195