Subject: UID and GID

From: Omar Keblawi <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 17:24:49 -0800

hello,

When I do an "ls", my owner and group are numbers and not names.  I
thought
by copying the passwd entry and putting it into ~ftpuser/etc/passwd and
~ftpuser/etc/group files would have solve this problem.  

How did you solve this problem?  Am I missing a particular library
possibly?

Omar

Example:
dr-xr-xr-x   2 0        12           512 Jan 19 00:16 bin
dr-xr-xr-x   2 0        12           512 Jan 19 00:16 dev
dr-xr-xr-x   2 0        12           512 Jan 20 19:32 etc
drwxr-xr-x   2 401      401          512 Jan 25 21:43 files
dr-xr-xr-x   3 0        12           512 Jan 20 23:10 usr

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 20:14:41 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 25 Jan 1999, Omar Keblawi wrote:

> thought by copying the passwd entry and putting it into
> ~ftpuser/etc/passwd and ~ftpuser/etc/group files would have solve this
> problem.
> 

I believe this is coveredin the FAQ.  Basically, you're on the right
track.  Probably the user isn't chroot'd where you think; check
/etc/passwd for the user's home directory.  If it has /./, the etc bin and
other stuff must be in the part to the *left* of /./ in the home directory
entry.  If no /./, in the home directory.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195