Subject: Problem with compression on the fly

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 09:00:50 +0100

Hello,

I have just updated wu-ftpd to the version 2.4.2 beta 18. All work OK except
the compression on the fly : the server doesn't see the compressed file. For
example, if I have a README file, getting README.gz, or README.Z say
"No such file or directory."

I have the file /etc/ftpconversions installed (same as the sample in the
doc directory of the distribution).

Any hints ?
Thanks in advance.

			Olivier

-- 
    . __    . ___  __.  | Olivier Bornet email : [email-masked]
   / /  `  / /  / /  /  | IDIAP                 phone : +41-27-721'77'40
  / /   / / /--/ /--'   | CP 592                  fax : +41-27-721'77'12
 / /__.' / /  / /       | CH-1920 Martigny   http://www.idiap.ch/~bornet
                        | Get my PGP-key :  "finger [email-masked]"
Swiss Ice Hockey Results:    http://www.idiap.ch/cgi-bin/SportWeb.cgi?-e

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 07:13:39 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 12 Jan 1999 [email-masked] wrote:

> I have just updated wu-ftpd to the version 2.4.2 beta 18. All work OK
> except the compression on the fly : the server doesn't see the
> compressed file. For example, if I have a README file, getting
> README.gz, or README.Z say "No such file or directory."
> 
> I have the file /etc/ftpconversions installed (same as the sample in
> the doc directory of the distribution).

I've found it helps to have etc/ftpconversions in every chroot area, ie.,
/home/ftp/etc/ftpconversions.

You also need dev/null in each as well as the programs tar, gzip and
compress, along with any pieces, parts and glue needed to make them work
(generally, the same stuff needed to make ls work).

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 14:52:26 +0100

> (generally, the same stuff needed to make ls work).

Thanks for this help, this don't solve my problem.

I have try to put ftpconversions (and even ftpaccess) in ~ftp/etc. No
change. I can't download the .Z or .gz version of an existing file. Also,
I can't download the .tar for a directory.

I allready have the dev/null and tar/gzip/compress/ls commands. And the
dir or ls command work when I'm connected to the server.

Any other help ?

			Olivier