Subject: Where to get Wu-ftpd ?

From: FATHI BEN NASR <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 20:14:20 +0100

I am trying to build an intranet with Linux, probably the first one in
Tunisia with this os, and I want to give users restricted ftp.
A french Linux book (The Linux Bible) is presenting wu-ftpd as the best
solution and points to ftp://ftp.academ.com/pub/wu-ftpd/private wich is
empty.

Thank you.
Fathi Ben Nasr.

---

From: Dave Wreski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 14:18:18 -0500 (EST)

> solution and points to ftp://ftp.academ.com/pub/wu-ftpd/private wich is

The directory is read-protected.  You must read the message that is
printed when you change to that directory.  It says:

This directory is protected. The name of the current beta is
wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-18.tar.Z and this file must be downloaded in binary.

Also, you should be able to find a pre-built one from your distribution.
Surely that would be a better place to start than having to compile the
code yourself.

Dave

---

From: FATHI BEN NASR <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 21:00:57 +0100

Thank you.

    Linux distributions are very hard to get here. The newest one available
is dated nov 97 (Slackware 3.3.0 that  I found in a cd-rom that cames with
the book "The Linux Bible". I got this from a book reseller wich brough it
specially for me, from France, as it is expensive (60$, where the normal
income for an industrial worker, here, is 130$ per month) and Linux is not
very well diffused in Tunisia ). It contains version giving the message
"(Version wu-2.4(4) Sub Jun 22 22:47:03 CDT 1997)".
    I also must change some lines in the code to make messages displayed in
french, as people here are used to speek french and arabic and the use of
this intranet is targeted to people that most of them have finished their
studies before the introduction of the english language in national
educational programs.

Thank you again.
Fathi. (Mechanical engineer)