Subject: Re: Problem with compression on the fly

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 09:00:21 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 12 Jan 1999, Olivier Bornet wrote:

> I have try to put ftpconversions (and even ftpaccess) in ~ftp/etc. No
> change. I can't download the .Z or .gz version of an existing file.
> Also, I can't download the .tar for a directory.
> 
> I allready have the dev/null and tar/gzip/compress/ls commands. And
> the dir or ls command work when I'm connected to the server.

What error do you get?  Check both what the client sees and your system
logs (start the daemon with -l option is you don't already).

Can you run the commands using the chroot(1) command?  For example:

  su
  umask 277
  cd ~ftp
  env - /usr/sbin/chroot ~ftp bin/tar cf ftpbin.tar bin
  exit

The resulting file will be ~ftp/ftpbin.tar and should contain the entire
contents of ~ftp/bin.  I like to use env(1) since it ensure's a clean
environment.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 15:29:26 +0100

> logs (start the daemon with -l option is you don't already).

I have add the -l option in inetd.conf, and restart the inetd daemon.
But I don't see the error messages. Where are they supposed to come ?
I have look in /var/adm/message, /var/log/syslog, but no message come.
I also have the flag -a.

> contents of ~ftp/bin.  I like to use env(1) since it ensure's a clean

I have do the commands, and I have the file ftpbin.tar OK. But just containing
the link bin -> usr/bin. I have do the command for usr, and the ftpuser.tar
contain all the files.

I also have try some compress with the same method. And it works great.

		Olivier

PS. I'm on Solaris 7, (Sunos 5.7, 64 bits enabled), on an Ultra-1/140.

-- 
    . __    . ___  __.  | Olivier Bornet email : [email-masked]
   / /  `  / /  / /  /  | IDIAP                 phone : +41-27-721'77'40
  / /   / / /--/ /--'   | CP 592                  fax : +41-27-721'77'12
 / /__.' / /  / /       | CH-1920 Martigny   http://www.idiap.ch/~bornet
                        | Get my PGP-key :  "finger [email-masked]"
Swiss Ice Hockey Results:    http://www.idiap.ch/cgi-bin/SportWeb.cgi?-e

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 09:43:40 -0500 (EST)

> PS. I'm on Solaris 7, (Sunos 5.7, 64 bits enabled), on an Ultra-1/140.

Did you use doc/examples/ftpconversions.solaris to make your
ftpconversions file?

Looking at it, I'd say you need the regular ftpconversions but you may
need to do a little editing.  Also, it seems to me there's something else
needed, a pipe program or something (but I could be confusing other
platforms).

I believe the pre-built binaries for sun systems in my FTP site work and
support ftpconversion.  you might want to take a peak inside them to see
what their ftpconversions files look like.  There's some instructions for
Sun systems in some of them which will probably help.

Remember, these include the VR patches through VR12, so you may or may not
want to run the binaries:

  ftp://ftp.vr.net/pub/wu-ftpd/binaries/sun

solaris/FTP242b18.wu-ftpd.2.4.2-beta18-VR12.SPARC.ULTRASparc.2.5.1.2.5.pkg.tar.Z
solaris/FTP242b18.wu-ftpd.2.4.2-beta18-VR12.SPARC.ULTRASparc.2.5.1.2.5.pkg.tar.gz
sunos/ftpd-2.4.2-beta-18-vr12-SunOS-4.1.3_U1.tar.gz
sunos/wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-18-vr12-SunOS-5.6.tar.gz
sunos/sunos41x-ftpbin.tar.gz

--

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 10:14:17 +0100

Hello Gregory,

> Did you use doc/examples/ftpconversions.solaris to make your

Yes. But I think we can use the regular ftpconversions file, as we have
installed also the gzip and tar file. Anyway, getting README.Z must work
as I understand the ftpconversions file.

> sunos/sunos41x-ftpbin.tar.gz

I have installed the file wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-18-vr11-Solaris-2.6/bin/ftpd from
the ftp.vr.net site, without any change.

But now, I have some informations coming in a debug file. Unfortunatly, the
only messages I have are :
Jan 14 09:59:04 herens ftpd[18936]: ANONYMOUS FTP LOGIN FROM ...
Jan 14 09:59:17 herens ftpd[18936]: FTP session closed

even when I do a get README or a get README.Z during the session.
The ftpd daemon is started with the -l flag.

Any other help ?

			Olivier