Subject: Re: Bero-1.3.1

From: "James B. Byrne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 21:08:27 -0500

I have built this successfully on an HP-UX 10 server but I am 
having problems with the new passwd feature.  I get an error when 
I try to compile without --enable-passwd

gcc -g -O2 -L../support -o ftpd ftpd.o ftpcmd.o glob.o logwtmp.o 
popen.o vers.o 
access.o extensions.o realpath.o acl.o private.o authenticate.o 
conversions.o ho
stacc.o sigfix.o tool.o socket.o auth.o paths.o rdservers.o 
routevector.o   -lcr
ypt -lsupport
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
/usr/ccs/bin/ld: Unsatisfied symbols:
   bero_getpwnam (code)
   bero_getpwuid (code)
gmake[1]: *** [ftpd] Error 1
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/opt/ftpd/bero/dist/BeroFTPD-
1.3.1/src'

When I compile with --enable-passwd then none of my users 
seem to use the /etc/passwd file to set their chroots and initial 
directories.  I have tried putting the ftpaccess command 

passwd /etc/passwd but it seems that this is not tied to the 
absolute root.  Can anyone tell me how to get this to work in 
simple, clear, easy to understand steps.  I have just spent the last 
56 hours recovering from a CPU burnout on our largest HP9000 
server and I am very, very tired at this point.

I just want the ftp to use the /etc/passwd file for now so I either 
need instructions on how to force all virtual user ftpaccess files to 
only use the real /etc/passwd even if --enable-passwd is builtin, or 
I need patches to fix Bero so that it will compile on HP-UX 10 
without --enable-passwd.

I am using gcc 2.8.1

All suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks,
Jim
--
James B. Byrne               Harte & Lyne Limited
[email-masked]        9 Brockley Drive
vox: +1 905 561 1241         Hamilton, Ontario
fax: +1 905 561 0757         Canada  L8E 3C3