Subject: Re: Time of day restrictions.

From: "Howard Moneta" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 1999 10:57:52 -0700

Hi, it has been a few days, but I finally found out where the problem lies
with my time of day restrictions.  I have found that if I set the
restrictions 7 hours ahead of what I want them to be it will work.  ie.  If
I want to have a 3 user restriction go into effect at 6pm until 6am I have
to do an Any0100-1300.  So it seems to work but it's clock is 7 hours off.
I typed date at the command prompt to verify that my clock is correct and it
is.  Is there a setting somewhere that is confusing ftpd?

Also, can I disable NOOP so people wont sit idle on the server for long
periods of time?

 Thanks!

Howard Moneta
[email-masked]

>I just re-tested and it works fine.  Weekdays it limits to 5 remote
>real/guest users; Weekends and overnight it limits to 10.  Looking at the
>way I'm doing it and how you're doing it, I'd suggest trying the
>following:
>
>limit guest 3 Any1800-0600 /etc/msgs/msg.toomany
>limit guest 0 Any          /etc/msgs/msg.serverdown
>
>I'm sure if I would bother to crack open the code I'll find some rationale
>for this working when you way doesn't but, frankly, I'm beat.  Let me know
>if this fixes it.
>

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 1999 14:19:02 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 31 Jan 1999, Howard Moneta wrote:

> Hi, it has been a few days, but I finally found out where the problem
> lies with my time of day restrictions.  I have found that if I set the
> restrictions 7 hours ahead of what I want them to be it will work.  
> ie.  If I want to have a 3 user restriction go into effect at 6pm
> until 6am I have to do an Any0100-1300.  So it seems to work but it's
> clock is 7 hours off. I typed date at the command prompt to verify
> that my clock is correct and it is.  Is there a setting somewhere that
> is confusing ftpd?

Localization for time.  Check that your host (and possibly the chroot'd
areas) have whatever it takes to convert UCT (GMT) to local time.  On
Linux, for instance, you need the file (pointed to by) /etc/localtime

> Also, can I disable NOOP so people wont sit idle on the server for
> long periods of time?

NOOP s/b disabled by default in the VR and BeroFTPD versions.  The base
2.4.2 (beta-18) version does not include that feature.

I have had a report of a bug in the NOOP-disabling code but will not be
able to test it until after VR13 comes out on Monday.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195