Subject: Allow and deny host connections

From: Glenn Carver <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 23:31:46 +0000

I was wondering if anyone has altered the wu-ftpd code to overhaul the
allow and deny options.

My problem is that any deny commands in the ftpaccess file take precendent
over allow commands in the ftphosts file. What I need to be able to do is
deny access from machines not registered in the DNS but override this for
specific hosts which we use. It would seem more sensible to me to allow
ftphosts to take precedent over entries in ftpaccess since in ftphosts you
can specify username whereas in ftpaccess you simply specify an address
glob.

Has anyone altered the code along similar lines before I alter the code myself?

Thanks
        Glenn

----
Dr. Glenn Carver, Senior Research Associate,
Centre for Atmospheric Science, Chemistry Dept., Cambridge University, UK
   [email-masked]     http://www.atm.ch.cam.ac.uk/~glenn/

         "Genius is one percent inspiration and ninety nine
          percent perspiration"   Thomas Edison.

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 07:17:08 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 14 Jan 1999, Glenn Carver wrote:

> My problem is that any deny commands in the ftpaccess file take
> precendent over allow commands in the ftphosts file. What I need to be
> able to do is deny access from machines not registered in the DNS but
> override this for specific hosts which we use. It would seem more
> sensible to me to allow ftphosts to take precedent over entries in
> ftpaccess since in ftphosts you can specify username whereas in
> ftpaccess you simply specify an address glob.
> 

Not to my knowledge.

You should be able to get the same effect by using tcpwrappers when
starting the daemon from inetd.  Doing it in the daemon, though, is
logical since the rest of the work is already there.  I'd be very
interested in seeing what you come up with.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195