Subject: Empty Directories

From: "Roger Asbury" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 12:39:37 -0900

Ok, reading the files at WU-FTPD web page suggests that
what I'm about to ask may be a taboo "check the faq" question....
But I'm gonna ask it anyway.  :)

Reason being, I've checked the faq's, documents, man pages,
etc... and still seem no closer to an answer.  *grin*

I have set up Guest access to my ftp server.  The server is to be
a web server where the users only have ftp access to upload and remove
their own web pages.  I don't want them getting out of their
directory.

That part works just great.  :)  However, no one can see anything in
their directory.  Now, the guest How-To suggests that this is because
the 'ls' I have installed isn't working properly (no kidding??
*grin*).

If I go to a shell account, I can run the ls that is in that
particular
user directory (./ls seems to work great!)  The ls in the user
directory is
a copy of the ls from /bin.

So, I have a user (let's call 'im bob)
Bob's directory looks like this:
dr-xr-xr-x  root	daemon	bin
d--x--x--x	root	daemon	etc
drwxr-xr-x	bob	users		www

Where bin contains only ls, and etc contains passwd and group, and
www contains bob's web pages.

ftpaccess is set up exactly as it's set up in the how-to with the
exception that the guestgroup is users, and the class is not local it
is "all".  FTPD itself is running with the -a switch.  System is
Redhat
linux 5.1, and WU-FTPD is ver. 2.3.2b18.

Thanks for your time,
Rog.
=============================================
Roger Asbury         [email-masked](work)
GVEA Web Coordinator [email-masked](home)
(907)458-5872        WL7NT (air)
             http://www.gvea.com
=============================================

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 17:01:19 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 18 Jan 1999, Roger Asbury wrote:

> particular user directory (./ls seems to work great!)  The ls in the
> user directory is a copy of the ls from /bin.

Right idea, wrong test.  Yes, this is in the FAQ, but as an answer not a
question.  Use the chroot command:

 su
 cd ~user
 env - /usr/sbin/chroot <chrootpoint> bin/ls -al 

Where <chrootpoint> is the part to the left of the /./ in the user's home
directory entry in /etc/passwd.

Since you're running Linux, if you use statically linked binaries, you
need only the parts shown in my example site:
    ftp://ftp.vr.net/pub/wu-ftpd/examples/

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195