Subject: WU-FTP does not work with PASV client (like Netscape)!

From: Michel Pilon <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 11:18:11 -0500 (EST)

Hello wu-ftp gurus :-)

I just have installed wu-ftp Version wu-2.4.2-academ[BETA-18](1) on a 
SUN ULTRA 10 running Solaris 2.6. 

Everithing is fine (I can anonymous ftp from the command line without any
problems) but I can see the content of the anonymous site when I use 
Netscape (or any PASV FTP Client). What's wrong???

I did not create a dev directory (with tcp and zero) within my ~ftp 
directory because I did not read anything about the need of it for 
Solaris 2.6. My ~ftp/usr/lib directory only contains 

	ld.so      ld.so.1    libc.so.1

I read all the FAQ about wu-ftp and read nothing useful to solve my problem.

Please help!!!

BTW, I am planning to put my FTP server within our DMZ. Is it something that
the majority of you have done? or do you put your FTP server within your 
local network?

Thank you very much in advance,

--
Michel Pilon                        E-mail: [email-masked]
Administrateur de systemes Unix     Tel:    (819) 564-4819
Centre d'information topographique  Fax:    (819) 564-5698
2144 King Ouest, suite 010, Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada, J1J 2E8
http://cyniska.ubishops.ca/pilonm

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 13:16:43 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 7 Jan 1999, Michel Pilon wrote:

> Everithing is fine (I can anonymous ftp from the command line without
> any problems) but I can see the content of the anonymous site when I
> use Netscape (or any PASV FTP Client). What's wrong???

Assuming you mean 'can see': check that the daemon is actually using the
ftpaccess file.  The command line needs a '-a' option to tell the daemon
to use the ftpaccess file.  I test this by putting somthing in the
ftpaccess which I can probe or will see immedeately such as a message
file.

Assuming you mean 'cannot see': you have not set up the 'ls' command
completely within the chroot'd area.  This is in the FAQ.

> I read all the FAQ about wu-ftp and read nothing useful to solve my

One feature of the WU-FTPD daemon is on-the-fly tar and/or compression of
directories (cf /etc/ftpconversions).  If you'll be using this feature, no
matter what platform you're on, you will need a <chroot>/dev/null device;
other devices such as dev/tcp and dev/zero are platform dependant and
needed for the daemon to work at all.

> BTW, I am planning to put my FTP server within our DMZ. Is it
> something that the majority of you have done? or do you put your FTP
> server within your local network?

I would suggest this is the correct place to put an FTP server if you're
going to allow anonymous uploads from off campus.  Just be sure your
internal network treats the machine as an untrusted outside host and you
should be OK.

-- 

The location of the latest version of wu-ftpd can be found in the 
directory
 
      ftp://ftp.academ.com/pub/wu-ftpd/private/
 
You can't see the directory contents, so read the message informing you
of the actual filename to retrieve. It's there.
 
wu-ftpd Resource Center:  http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/
wu-ftpd FAQ:              http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html
wu-ftpd list archive:     http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/mail-archive/

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195

---

From: Albert Etienne <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 14:18:15 -0600

Greg,

If you will remember I had earlier problems with conversions that I could
never resolve.  The <chroot>/dev/null did the trick.  I had created the other
devices from the solaris man page but not <chroot>/dev/null.  This is either
not in the docs or I totally missed it.

Thanks,
al

A day late, but never a dollar short ;-)

---

From: Albert Etienne <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 14:17:13 -0600

Greg,

If you will remember I had earlier problems with conversions that I could
never resolve.  The <chroot>/dev/null did the trick.  I had created the other
devices from the solaris man page but not <chroot>/dev/null.  This is either
not on the docs or I totally missed it.

Thanks,
al

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 15:42:08 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 7 Jan 1999, Albert Etienne wrote:

> If you will remember I had earlier problems with conversions that I
> could never resolve.  The <chroot>/dev/null did the trick.  I had
> created the other devices from the solaris man page but not
> <chroot>/dev/null.  This is either not in the docs or I totally missed
> it.

I don't believe it's ever been written down anywhere.  I didn't know it
was required on all platforms until it bit me a couple weeks ago and I dug
into the code only to find a deeply buried literal string '/dev/null' ...
which only really matters if you're doing a tar and piping the output to
gzip or compress *AND* the tar wants to complain about something (for me
it was stripping leading '/' off pathnames).  Until I found it, I'd just
assumed your comment was just another Solaris-ism.

--