Subject: Re: Time of day restrictions.

From: "Howard Moneta" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 17:40:16 -0700

I have tried it and no matter which order they are in it still has a limit
of 3 users at all hours, not just between 6pm and 6am.

I found a precompiled version of VR12 on your ftp site Greg. I am wondering
if that is the problem.  I copied the 3 or 4 files from the bin directory
into my /usr/bin directory and changed my inetd.conf file to use the ftpd
program that came in the file I downloaded rather then the in.ftpd program
that it was using before.  Everything seems to work ok except that now my
time of day restrictions don't work.  Is there anything missing from my
configuration as I explained it?  I noticed that there was a utils directory
with an install file in it too but I didn't know how to use it.

Howard

>On Sun, 24 Jan 1999, Howard Moneta wrote:
>
>> Here is a section of my /etc/ftpaccess file that pertains to what
>> times of day the guest user dnload1 can log into my FTP.  I had it
>> configured like below and it was working properly until I upgraded to
>> the VR12 version of wu-ftpd.  Has the syntax for specifying the times
>> of day a limit pertains to changed?  Even though I have it set to not
>> allow any guest class users to log in between 0600-1800, it still is
>> allowing them to connect.  It appears to be ignoring the time
>> specification after the Any.  Any ideas what might have changed
>> between when I was running Wu-ftpd Beta 18 and upgrading the VR12?
>>
>> loginfails 2
>> class   guest   guest  *
>> class   local   real  *
>> hostname Genma's FTP
>> guestuser dnload1
>>
>> limit guest 3 Any1800-0600                /etc/msgs/msg.toomany
>> limit guest 0 Any0600-1800                /etc/msgs/msg.serverdown
>> limit local 1 Any
>> limit-time guest 120
>
>No specific changes for this, but you might try moving the guest 0 line
>above the guest 3.
>
>--
>
>Gregory A Lundberg Senior Partner, VRnet Company
>1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
>Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195
>

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 20:10:57 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 25 Jan 1999, Howard Moneta wrote:

> I have tried it and no matter which order they are in it still has a
> limit of 3 users at all hours, not just between 6pm and 6am.
> 
> I found a precompiled version of VR12 on your ftp site Greg. I am
> wondering if that is the problem.  I copied the 3 or 4 files from the
> bin directory into my /usr/bin directory and changed my inetd.conf
> file to use the ftpd program that came in the file I downloaded rather
> then the in.ftpd program that it was using before.  Everything seems
> to work ok except that now my time of day restrictions don't work.  
> Is there anything missing from my configuration as I explained it?  I
> noticed that there was a utils directory with an install file in it
> too but I didn't know how to use it.

You probably installed it the way I would have.  I like doing it all by
hand and not trusting others to follow my site standards (even if they
probably do).  I've never tried the installation stuff which comes with
the daemon; or if I ever did it was many, many years ago and I've
forgotten.

> >> limit guest 0 Any0600-1800                /etc/msgs/msg.serverdown

Here's the limits I use for a site running VR12:

class remote real,guest      *

limit remote 10 SaSu|Any1800-0600
limit remote  5 Any

I just re-tested and it works fine.  Weekdays it limits to 5 remote
real/guest users; Weekends and overnight it limits to 10.  Looking at the
way I'm doing it and how you're doing it, I'd suggest trying the
following:

limit guest 3 Any1800-0600 /etc/msgs/msg.toomany
limit guest 0 Any          /etc/msgs/msg.serverdown

I'm sure if I would bother to crack open the code I'll find some rationale
for this working when you way doesn't but, frankly, I'm beat.  Let me know
if this fixes it.

--