Subject: Setting up a guest account

From: [email-masked] (Jeff Reis)
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 10:18:47 -0500

Hi,

I'm attempting to set up a guest FTP account for a customer
to retrieve data off of our server.  I do not want the customer
to be to move outside of the login directory, though.  I followed
the Guest Account HowTo to the letter but when I log in remotely
to the account I am still able to move all over the disk.  Any help
that could be provided to point out what I'm doing wrong would greatly 
be appreciated.

Jeff Reis

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 10:32:01 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 14 Jan 1999, Jeff Reis wrote:

> I'm attempting to set up a guest FTP account for a customer to
> retrieve data off of our server.  I do not want the customer to be to
> move outside of the login directory, though.  I followed the Guest
> Account HowTo to the letter but when I log in remotely to the account
> I am still able to move all over the disk.  Any help that could be
> provided to point out what I'm doing wrong would greatly be
> appreciated.

Did you add -a to the command line and kill -HUP inetd?  The -a option
tells the daemon to use the /etc/ftpaccess file.  `killall -HUP inetd`
tells inetd to reload its configuration file so the -a option is used when
starting the daemon.

In /etc/group make sure the username is specifically listed in the guest
group.  This group should have not other use on your system than to
identify users who are to be "guests" for ftp.

In /etc/ftpaccess make sure the groupname from /etc/group is listed and
that you have a class clause for guests.

I have an example site configuration at
  ftp://ftp.vr.net/pub/wu-ftpd/examples/
which may help.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195