Subject: static ls

From: "Speier, Guy J - CNF" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 14:16:34 -0800

I am in the process of migrating our corporate ftp server.  While at
it, I've decided that I should
	look into chrooting all users to their home directories.  

	I remember seeing a letter sent by Gregory talking about this, but
wasn't able to find it.  Could
	you tell me how this differs from chrooting all users to a centrain
point?  Should we have a soft
	link from each users home dir to /home/ftp files & libraries, or to
the originals?

	Thanks
	Guy

	BTW, my platform is Sol 2.6

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 20:08:56 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 19 Jan 1999, Speier, Guy J - CNF wrote:

> it, I've decided that I should look into chrooting all users to their
> home directories.
> 
> wasn't able to find it.  Could you tell me how this differs from
> chrooting all users to a centrain point?  Should we have a soft link
> from each users home dir to /home/ftp files & libraries, or to the
> originals?

This differs from chrooting to a common point only in complexity of the
setup.  Each use will need their own /bin /etc /lib /dev etc.  There are
two good ways to handle this; loopback mounts and hard links.  Soft links
will not work.

I would have a copy of the master system files in each filesystem where
users will be chroot'd and use hard links to those files.

To keep users from knowing of each other's existance, I would have a
different etc/passwd and etc/group in each (I know, a lot of work).  These
files would only contain the user/group entries needed to pretty things up
for the user's 'ls' command.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195

---

From: Bernhard Rosenkraenzer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 14:57:31 +0100 (CET)

> 	look into chrooting all users to their home directories.  

In that case, you'll need to put a statically linked ls in every user's
home directory.
Alternatively, upgrade to BeroFTPD
(ftp://ftp.aachen.linux.de/pub/BeroFTPD/) which implements ls internally
and thereby saves you a lot of trouble.

> Should we have a soft link from each users home dir to /home/ftp files &
> libraries, or to the originals?

Softlinks won't work, because they can't bypass the limit imposed by the
chroot call.

LLaP
bero

-- 
Windows 98 supports real multitasking - it can boot and crash simultaneously.
***
Anyone sending unwanted advertising e-mail to this address will be charged
$25 for network traffic and computing time. By extracting my address from
this message or its header, you agree to these terms.