Subject: IGNORE_NOOP doesn't work

From: Oliver Billmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 02:16:26 +0100 (MET)

Hi,

I just realized, that IGNORE_NOOP doesn't work. I tested this with two
parallel connections to the same server. The first client was sending a
NOOP every minute, the second wasn't. The connection from the second
client was closed after the inactivity timeout, the other connection
was not closed.

So I played a little bit with the -t option to ftpd. If the value given
is below 1 minute, both connections are closed! This made me curious
and I took a look at the source ;-)

In line 1328 of ftpcmd.y I found the following call to alarm:
            (void) alarm((unsigned) timeout);

Am I wrong, or does this reset the inactivity timer on every command
given, even NOOP? Maybe you can fix this in the next release. Thanks

Oliver

-- 
                                \\\///
      +--------------------+     \\//     +-----------------------------+
      | Oliver Billmann    |    ( .. )    |    [email-masked] |
      +--------------------+-ooO-(__)-Ooo-+-----------------------------+

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 22:43:28 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 27 Jan 1999, Oliver Billmann wrote:

> parallel connections to the same server. The first client was sending
> a NOOP every minute, the second wasn't. The connection from the second
> So I played a little bit with the -t option to ftpd. If the value
> given is below 1 minute, both connections are closed! This made me
> curious and I took a look at the source ;-)
> 

Since the line number matched, I presume you're talking about the VR12
version.

Sure I'll take a look at it.  I could swear I tested it and it worked as
is, but retesting is at least warranted.

As for a fix in the next version, you're just a few hours past code-freeze
for VR13 so it'll have to wait for VR14 on March 1.  If it's a real
problem I can do a hot fix after VR13 comes out on February 1 (which is
probably when I'll get a chance to look at it since we're in final-test
and build phase right now).

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195

---

From: Oliver Billmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 13:53:35 +0100 (MET)

Hi Gregory,

> Since the line number matched, I presume you're talking about the VR12

Didn't I mention that? Sorry, my fault. In deed I tested this on a Linux
box running VR12. But I observed this behaviour on a Solaris 2.6 box
running VR9 too...

> and build phase right now).

I would appreciate it if you could send me a fix earlier, on the other hand
I lived with this for a couple of weeks now and another month doesn't
really matter ;-)

Oliver