Subject: wu-ftpd for Win/NT?

From: [email-masked] (Dennis O'Neill)
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 12:53:45 -0600

Is there a version of wu-ftpd for Windows NT? I didn't see anything on the
server, but maybe I'm not looking in the right place.

What I'm specifically looking for is a server/daemon with the same
userid/IP address binding as the original and the equivalent of the
"chroot" filesystem firewalling. Yes, I know that I'd be better off running 
under Unix/Linux, but I'm trying to configure a minimal cost system and
one of the apps I have to run only runs under NT.

If there isn't an NT port for wu-ftpd, what's the next best choice?

Thanks,

Dennis

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 14:02:15 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 5 Jan 1999, Dennis O'Neill wrote:

> Is there a version of wu-ftpd for Windows NT? I didn't see anything on
> the server, but maybe I'm not looking in the right place.
> 
> "chroot" filesystem firewalling. Yes, I know that I'd be better off
> running under Unix/Linux, but I'm trying to configure a minimal cost
> system and one of the apps I have to run only runs under NT.
> 

>From a network security point of view: Buy a second computer, put Linux on
it, run all the Inernet access stuff there and firewall the @#% out of the
NT box.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 14:10:02 -0500 (EST)

Sorry, I guess I should answer your main question ...

> If there isn't an NT port for wu-ftpd, what's the next best choice?

There is no NT port of the daemon since NT does not ave sufficient
security to allow the daemon to run.  You can get some daemons which will
run on 95 (s/b OK on NT) which simulat a Unix FTP daemon, but the security
models on them are all just that -- simulations -- and most are pretty
easy to get arround.  I'd suggest you look at WarFTPD (look at
http://www.nonags.com/ for it), if you must run NT on the internet, I
guess WarFTPD is as good any anything else and the price is right.

--