Subject: why no debugging in daemon mode

From: Roger Hanke <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 1999 15:01:46 -0500

Bernhard,
 Finally think I got to the bottom of why there is no
debug statements being output to the syslog by 
BeroFTPD 1.2.3. Because I built it with 
--enable-standalone option even though I am not 
planning to use that right now. I found the following
line at 579 and 900 (this is one I was executing it
turns out) of ftpd.c at the end of DAEMON 
definition sections:
    debug = 0;
#endif /* DAEMON */  

 So whether I put -d or -v on command line, the debug
flag gets turned back off here. So no matter how many
debug statements I was adding back in I still wasnt getting
any out. I also tried putting back Pedro Melo's pasv mode
debug statements, but they used the log_commands flag
and the same thing is happening to it. The -L flag turns it
on but by time you go to use it is has been turned off.

Took off the --enable-standalone configuration option and
now all the debug statements do print out and from the 
existing reply debug can see the passive mode port 
chosen. So dont think you need to add back any debugs
like I thought to debug passive mode, at least when you
are not built for standalone mode. 

Only question I still have is when you need to
debug the server running in (or built to run in) standalone
mode how do you do it? I cant see any reason why a 
standalone server couldnt put out the same debug statements?
So please let me know if there is any way to debug the server
standalone operation that I am missing?
Do realize there is a lot of debugging output that comes out
but thought that is the idea of being in debug mode, especially
when you need to know exactly what some client is sending
and receiving?
	Thanx,
	Roger Hanke 

---------------------------------------------------------------
 Roger A. Hanke         AT&T Web Site Services
 (732)576-5738          [email-masked]
 FAX (732)576-6041      http://lynxhub.att.com/~rah/
---------------------------------------------------------------