Subject: Fw: A few questions from a new user.

From: "Howard Moneta" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 18:43:41 -0700

Hi, I am new to Linux and to Wu-ftpd.  I have a few questions that I was
hoping I could get answered on this listserv.

I love Linux, it is a refreshing change from Windows.

Wu-ftpd seems to be a good choice for FTP server software.  There are just a
few configuration options that I would like to implement.

Is it possible to limit the amount of connections from the same host to 1 at
a time?  I would also like to be able to cap the maximum transfer rate so
that I don't have fast internet connections sucking all of my bandwidth.
The other thing that would be nice is to have some kind of monitoring
program to tell me who is on the ftp and what file they are downloading
without having to type ftpwho every few minutes.  Maybe a graphical status
window that runs in Xwindows.  Is any of this available or a possibility?
I am using Wu-ftpd Beta 18.

Thanks in advance!

Howard
[email-masked]

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 10:22:20 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 20 Jan 1999, Howard Moneta wrote:

> Is it possible to limit the amount of connections from the same host
> to 1 at a time?

This has been on the TODO list for quite some time.  Since it's one of the
harder things to do, I've not been working on it myself.  If someone has a
patch (even an old one) I'd like to see it.  Otherwise, it'll probably be
a few months until I can get to it and then I'm not sure (mainly because
I've not looked too deeply) how long it will take.

> I would also like to be able to cap the maximum transfer rate so that
> I don't have fast internet connections sucking all of my bandwidth.

VR12 supports this.

> program to tell me who is on the ftp and what file they are
> downloading without having to type ftpwho every few minutes.  Maybe a
> graphical status window that runs in Xwindows.

I know of no such beast.  Maybe one of the for-pay vendors has something
like it, but I dunno.  Personally, I think you'll outgrow the desire for
it in a few months.

-- 

The location of the latest version of wu-ftpd can be found in the 
directory
 
      ftp://ftp.academ.com/pub/wu-ftpd/private/
 
You can't see the directory contents, so read the message informing you
of the actual filename to retrieve. It's there.
 
wu-ftpd Resource Center:  http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/
wu-ftpd FAQ:              http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html
wu-ftpd list archive:     http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/mail-archive/

-- 

The VR series is a (rather large, by now) set of patches, bugfixes and
extensions to the base 2.4.2 (beta 18) version.  It is available from

  ftp://ftp.vr.net/pub/wu-ftpd/

along with a large number of other versions of WU-FTPD and related
programs and material.

Read the message for the directory for details.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195