Subject: Allowing users to ftp to different directories

From: Joe DeBattista <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 14:54:02 -0800 (PST)

Greetings,
   I'm having a problem getting a user access to subdirectories that
aren't under his own home directory.  I'm running AIX 4.1.5 and
wu-ftpd-2.4.11.  The user has responsibility for maintaining a directory
called "licenses", which is under "~user/public_html".  Both "public_html"
and "licenses have the same group ownership and permissions, to allow read
and write access.  If the user logs in and then does a cd to
~user/public_html/licenses, then he can read or write without any
problems.  However, if he ftps to his account and then tries to create a
file in ~user/public_html/licenses, he gets permission denied.  I haven't
modified any of the ftp config files, and did notice the "private" option
in the ftpaccess file, but that sounded like it was used to add an
additional level of security.    Is there anything else I'm missing?

                                 Joe DeBattista
                                 UCSF, Administrative Computing
                      INTERNET:  joed@itsa..ucsf.edu

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 21:10:40 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 11 Dec 1998, Joe DeBattista wrote:

> wu-ftpd-2.4.11.  The user has responsibility for maintaining a
> directory called "licenses", which is under "~user/public_html".  
> Both "public_html" and "licenses have the same group ownership and
> permissions, to allow read and write access.  If the user logs in and
> then does a cd to ~user/public_html/licenses, then he can read or
> write without any problems.  However, if he ftps to his account and
> then tries to create a file in ~user/public_html/licenses, he gets
> permission denied.  I haven't modified any of the ftp config files,
> and did notice the "private" option in the ftpaccess file, but that
> sounded like it was used to add an additional level of security.  Is
> there anything else I'm missing?

The upload clause is what you're looking for.  The permission denied
sounds like there's a problem with the Unix ownership and/or permissions
for the directory.

Private is not what you want.

The location of the latest version of wu-ftpd can be found in the 
directory
 
      ftp://ftp.academ.com/pub/wu-ftpd/private/
 
You can't see the directory contents, so read the message informing you
of the actual filename to retrieve. It's there.
 
wu-ftpd Resource Center:  http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/
wu-ftpd FAQ:              http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html
wu-ftpd list archive:     http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/mail-archive/

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195