Subject: NEWBIE Question

From: Kirwan Marty <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 15:50:26 -0500

Hello,

I recently subscribed to this list hoping to find out about WU-Ftpd.  Alot
of the recent messages have dealt with BeroFTP and VR10.  Here is the newbie
question:  Are these preferable to WU-Ftpd?  Why?  Where can I find them?  I
would like to run one off them on a MkLinux box, is that a problem?

Thanks in advance,

Marty Kirwan

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 17:05:01 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 16 Dec 1998, Kirwan Marty wrote:

> I recently subscribed to this list hoping to find out about WU-Ftpd.  
> Alot of the recent messages have dealt with BeroFTP and VR10.  Here is
> the newbie question:

> Are these preferable to WU-Ftpd?  Why?

For most people, no, the base beta-18 version is preferrable.  Why?
Because it's the 'official' version.

The VR-series offers a number of enhancements and bug fixes not available
in the base beta-18 version.  If you have a need for one of these, you
will find it preferrable.

BeroFTPD has rolled in many of the VR patches as well as Kent's NEWVIRT
virtual hosting scheme.  Bernard has also done a lot of work cleaning up
the source code, getting it to use GNU autoconf, and adding a number of
new and/or upcoming FTP features.  If you have high-end multi-hosting
needs or need to begin working with the evolving output of the FTP Working
Group, you will want BeroFTPD.

So why do you hear so much about these two versions on the mailing list?
Because Bernard and I are _actively_ working on the daemon.  Stan, the
maintainer of the base source kit, has been notably absent and is
notoriously slow in releasing updates or addressing user concerns.
Development on the base code has been slow .. nobody wants to say its
completely stopped so let's just characterise it as 'glacial'.

> Where can I find them?

The VR-series (current version is VR11, btw) is available from

  ftp://ftp.vr.net/pub/wu-ftpd/

Bernard has a few sites but I don't recall them.  He'll probably post the
list in a bit .. if not ask and I'll dig it out of my mail archives.  I
have the current version of BerFTPD in ftp.vr.net as well.

The location of the latest version of wu-ftpd can be found in the 
directory
 
      ftp://ftp.academ.com/pub/wu-ftpd/private/
 
You can't see the directory contents, so read the message informing you
of the actual filename to retrieve. It's there.
 
wu-ftpd Resource Center:  http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/
wu-ftpd FAQ:              http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html
wu-ftpd list archive:     http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/mail-archive/

> I would like to run one off them on a MkLinux box, is that a problem?

Considering I run Linux, and I believer Bernard does as well, you should
have no problems running any version of WU-FTPD on your box.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195

---

From: Bernhard Rosenkraenzer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 00:02:41 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 16 Dec 1998, Kirwan Marty wrote:

> question:  Are these preferable to WU-Ftpd?

They are wu-ftpd springoffs, and IMO both of them are preferrable to
base wu-ftpd, primarily because they're actively maintained. (speaking
of it: the next version of BeroFTPD will be released as soon as I'm done
with another project, probably early next week)
Also, the base wu-ftpd version currently has a serious security
bug (search the archives for realpath), which has been fixed in the other
versions about a month ago.

The VR* patches contain a lot of bug fixes and new features, BeroFTPD
contains most of the VR patches, the newvirt patches (better way to handle
virtual hosts), an internal ls command, and many other additional
features.

> Where can I find them?

VR:       ftp://ftp.vr.net/pub/wu-ftpd
BeroFTPD: ftp://beroftpd.unix.eu.org/pub/BeroFTPD/
          ftp://ftp.croftj.net/usr/bero/BeroFTPD/
          ftp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/nir/ftp/servers/BeroFTPD/
          ftp://sunsite.cnlab-switch.ch/mirror/BeroFTPD/

> I would like to run one off them on a MkLinux box, is that a problem?

Shouldn't be one.

LLaP
bero

-- 
Windows 98 supports real multitasking - it can boot and crash simultaneously.
***
Anyone sending unwanted advertising e-mail to this address will be charged
$25 for network traffic and computing time. By extracting my address from
this message or its header, you agree to these terms.

---

From: Hal Snyder <[email-masked]>
Date: 17 Dec 1998 12:33:46 -0600

Thank you for the information. It's good to see things are amicable
between VR11 and BeroFTP camps!

I started configuring proftpd for a site I administer and am having
second thoughts [and am now behind schedule :-( ].

If BeroFTP has VR patches rolled in and is tracking the FTP Working
Group, why would someone prefer VR11?

Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]> writes:
> ...
> BeroFTPD has rolled in many of the VR patches as well as Kent's
> NEWVIRT virtual hosting scheme.  Bernard has also done a lot of work
> cleaning up the source code, getting it to use GNU autoconf, and
> adding a number of new and/or upcoming FTP features.  If you have
> high-end multi-hosting needs or need to begin working with the
> evolving output of the FTP Working Group, you will want BeroFTPD.
> ...

---

From: Bernhard Rosenkraenzer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 23:25:55 +0100 (CET)

> second thoughts [and am now behind schedule :-( ].

proftpd is IMO a workable alternative to wu-ftpd, if you don't need
virtual hosting.

> Group, why would someone prefer VR11?

There are a couple of reasons - first of all, I still have to catch up
with the latest VR patches (VR10 and 11 have still to be merged in).
Second, BeroFTPD has completely rewritten the build scheme to use
autoconf. On many systems, this is beneficial, but it might not compile at
all on some other systems. I'm using Linux and FreeBSD myself, and I've
had reports that BeroFTPD works on SunOS, Solaris, NetBSD and OpenBSD, but
I'm not sure about things like HPUX or AIX (if someone tried, please let
me know).
Last, new features might introduce new bugs (but since most new features
of BeroFTPD (such as the internal ls or improved handling of virtual
hosts) can be turned off at compile time, this should not be too important
in this particular case.

LLaP
bero