Subject: passwd & chroot

From: "Scott D. MacKay" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 1998 14:09:24 -0500

Hiya!

I am using the wu-ftp in a pure chroot environment (so all UIDs are
based off a differend passwd/shadow that /etc.
For me, I have a directory /export/data/ftp which contains my entire FTP
site (configured via anonymous ftp rules).

I am happy fluffy; All users can log in, do commands, etc.  I can use
chown, chmod, chgrp using the alternate passwd/shadow  (chroot
/export/data/ftp /bin/chgrp 777 thisdir) and everything is wonderful,
except for passwd.  It does not seem to like being in a chroot
environment, giving the informative "Permission denied" message (and
yes, a copy exists in /export/data/ftp/bin)., even as root.

Does anyone have ideas on why it would say this or know of a PD passwd
source I can use & alter?

-Scott
-- 
-------------------------
| Scott MacKay : Postmaster
|   [email-masked] | [email-masked] | ICQ 12191982 | (716) 383-1290
| Real Time Enterprises, Pittsford NY
| -Electronic Document Imaging-System Integration-Software Development-
| 'The opinions shared here only reflect the poster's  
|  views and may not reflect the views of the company.'