Subject: Re: Managing large numbers of guest users

From: "Craig Shrimpton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Dec 1998 22:24:17 -0500

>
>Get VR11 and forget about the Unix group.  Just tell the server everyone's
>a guest unless you specify otherwise.  BeroFTPD included this feature as
>well.
>
>  ftp://ftp.vr.net/pub/wu-ftpd/
>

What's the difference between BeroFTPD and VR11 ?  I see a FreeBSD port for
Bero 1.2.1 but nothing for VR.  Are they the same thing?

-Craig

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 1998 05:14:46 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 5 Dec 1998, Craig Shrimpton wrote:

> What's the difference between BeroFTPD and VR11 ?  I see a FreeBSD
> port for Bero 1.2.1 but nothing for VR.  Are they the same thing?

VR11 is extensions to the base, beta-18, code.  BeroFTPD includes many
(not all) of the VR changes.  It also includes Kent Landfield's NEWVIRT
virtual hosting scheme.

My goal for the VR series has been simply to address bugs, change requests
and submitted patches from the mailing list over the past few years.

Bernard's has been to get it working using GNU autoconf, adding several of
the new/upcoming FTP features (FTPSEC, HOST, etc.) and building 'ls' into
the daemon.  I'm sure I'm missing some of Bernard's goals, but he can
speak up if I did.

For most people, the base beta-18 is still the best choice.

If you need some of the more commonly requested features (like those I
talked about yesterday), VR is for you.

If you have a need for strong virtual hosting as well, go with BeroFTPD.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195

---

From: Hal Snyder <[email-masked]>
Date: 06 Dec 1998 13:35:03 -0600

While we're comparing servers, can anyone comment on pro-ftpd vs the
variants below?

I'm setting up a commercial site that with an anonymous area plus
support for a few dozen guest accounts. I'd prefer not to create Unix
logins for the guests, and hand off all guest account maintenance to a
person who happens not to be a system administrator.

> > port for Bero 1.2.1 but nothing for VR.  Are they the same thing?
...

---

From: Bernhard Rosenkraenzer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 1998 21:28:20 +0100 (CET)

> While we're comparing servers, can anyone comment on pro-ftpd vs the

I haven't used pro-ftpd much (just to get some ideas to implement in
BeroFTPD), but from what I've seen, I'd say it works well and it's code is
much more readable than that of any wu-ftpd derived daemon.
However, it is currently lacking some (IMO important) features, like
reasonable virtual hosting.

> person who happens not to be a system administrator.

BeroFTPD 1.2.3 can do this for you using the passwd directive in
ftpaccess.

LLaP
bero

--
Windows 98 supports real multitasking - it can boot and crash simultaneously.
***
Anyone sending unwanted advertising e-mail to this address will be charged
$25 for network traffic and computing time. By extracting my address from
this message or its header, you agree to these terms.