Subject: uploading problems with wu-ftp

From: fnijen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 15:34:12 +0100

I've de wu-2.4.2-academ ftp server running on my debian linux box but have
uploading problems to the 'upload' directory.
The server is only accesible with anonymous logins , no normal user
accounts are allowed.
Directly in de ftp root is the 'upload' directory with all rights set, so
all users and groups can read and write, owner is root:root.
In de ftpaccess config file I've put the following configuration:

# FTP-home-dir          archiv-dir      allow?  owner   group   mode    dirs?
upload  /drive2/ftp     lib            no
upload  /drive2/ftp     et             no
upload  /drive2/ftp     pu            no
upload  /drive2/ftp     bin            no
upload  /drive2/ftp     *               no
upload  /drive2/ftp     /incoming   yes     root    sys     0777    dirs

People can now upload directly in de 'upload', are able to create
subdirectory's but rights are set to:
>ls -l
>drwxr-xr-x 2 ftp staff 1024 Dec 11 15:20 test

So no write rights! and notice the ownership. I killed the inetd with _HUP
after changes to the ftpaccess, guess that's even not needed.
I've got ftp daemons in the /usr/sbin, I did a 'strings' on the ftpd and
in.ftpd, saw that the ftpd was the correct one.

So I really don't know anymore where to look.

oh, and I tried to add in the /etc/inetd the command -u077 behind the 'ftp
stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/tpcd /usr/sbin/ftpd -a' , but then
the rights on newly created directories ended up even odder "d----------".

Guess, I'm doing something terribly wrong, but what?

Frank

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 10:38:40 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 11 Dec 1998, fnijen wrote:

> I've de wu-2.4.2-academ ftp server running on my debian linux box but
> have uploading problems to the 'upload' directory. The server is only
> accesible with anonymous logins , no normal user accounts are allowed.
> Directly in de ftp root is the 'upload' directory with all rights set,
> so all users and groups can read and write, owner is root:root. In de
> ftpaccess config file I've put the following configuration:
> 
> So no write rights! and notice the ownership. I killed the inetd with
> _HUP after changes to the ftpaccess, guess that's even not needed.
> I've got ftp daemons in the /usr/sbin, I did a 'strings' on the ftpd
> and in.ftpd, saw that the ftpd was the correct one.
> 
> oh, and I tried to add in the /etc/inetd the command -u077 behind the
> 'ftp stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/tpcd /usr/sbin/ftpd -a' , but
> then the rights on newly created directories ended up even odder
> "d----------".
> 

Several things.  First, I'd change the ownership from root.sys to
something a little less dangerous.

Second, you just tripped across one of the bugs in the upload clause.  It
does not have any way to specify the permissions for newly created
directories.  Not many people notice because it's very unsafe to allow
anonymous users to create directories anyway.

If you're not running 2.4.2 (beta-18), upgrade to it.  Then visit my
example site:

  ftp://ftp.vr.net/pub/wu-ftpd/examples/

To see a fairly secure setup showing proper permissions and ownerships.

If you really need to allow anonymous users to create directories in the
upload area, I'd suggest upgrading to 2.4.2 (beta-18) VR11, which has a
number of extensions and bug fixes not available in the base release.  It
is available from:

  ftp://ftp.vr.net/pub/wu-ftpd/

There are a number of prebuilt binaries (including Linux) also available.

The location of the latest version of wu-ftpd can be found in the 
directory
 
      ftp://ftp.academ.com/pub/wu-ftpd/private/
 
You can't see the directory contents, so read the message informing you
of the actual filename to retrieve. It's there.
 
wu-ftpd Resource Center:  http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/
wu-ftpd FAQ:              http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html
wu-ftpd list archive:     http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/mail-archive/

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195