Subject: Mixing old server with new...

From: "Edward Baichtal" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 12:10:40 -0800

If I take wu-ftpd 2.4.2 Beta 17, and replace the in.ftpd executable with VR
11, will I have to change other files too, like ftpaccess, etc.?  Are there
obsolete things in those files that might make VR 11 complain?

--------------------------
Edward Baichtal
[email-masked]
http://www.airlink.com

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 16:26:13 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 9 Dec 1998, Edward Baichtal wrote:

> If I take wu-ftpd 2.4.2 Beta 17, and replace the in.ftpd executable
> with VR 11, will I have to change other files too, like ftpaccess,
> etc.?  Are there obsolete things in those files that might make VR 11
> complain?

You should be able to drop VR11 in in place of Beta-17 or Beta-18 without
trouble.

There were no features obsoleted and removed in the VR-series.  A few new
features do render some other, older features, rather meaningless, but
support for those older features remains in full.

Some sites will have problems with the VR-series' insistence upon full
pathnames.  Places to look for problems are upload clauses and log
analysis scripts.  Upload clauses tend to be the biggest source of
problems.  I believe the current (beta-18) man page for ftpaccess does not
jibe with the actual implementation; I strived to correct what I saw as
the abiguities.  Sites that will have problems will most likely be those
that had upload clauses which appeared correct (by the maan page) yet
didn't actually do what was intended.  As always, careful testing to see
the upload clauses work properly is warranted.

Another issue is to make sure the guest/anonymous ftp areas are internally
consistent.  By that, I mean, the local etc/passwd files should show home
directories within the confines of the chroot'd environment.  This has
always been the case, but a few of the VR features are more critical of
problems in this area.  Generally, you shouldn't simply copy your master
/etc/passwd into each area if for no other reason than it exposes the
underlying file system layout to people within the confines of the
chroot'd area.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195