Subject: Configuring to use CHROOT

From: Chris Baar <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 12:57:12 -0700

I have installed wu-ftpd on a machine running FreeBSD 3.0.  Since the
machine is primarily a web server, I have only a few users (2, in fact)
that will have FTP access.  However, I want to use chroot to limit these
users to a specific directory tree.

According the man pages I have read, I need to use the "guestgroup"
directive in the ftpaccess file.  However when I do this, I can't get
listings in all directories.  Sometimes I get a listing, sometimes I get an
empty directory.  All directories and files are generally chmod the same...
r/w by user/group.

If I disable the guestgroup directive, I can see all my files, but of
course the chroot is out of effect and the user can get anywhere in the
system.  Any ideas on something I may have overlooked here?  Thanks in
advance.

Chris Baar
[email-masked]

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 15:22:11 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 28 Dec 1998, Chris Baar wrote:

> listings in all directories.  Sometimes I get a listing, sometimes I
> get an empty directory.  All directories and files are generally chmod
> the same... r/w by user/group.

you're missing the supporting programs 'ls' and/or libraries, devices,
etc.

this is a FAQ

The location of the latest version of wu-ftpd can be found in the 
directory
 
      ftp://ftp.academ.com/pub/wu-ftpd/private/
 
You can't see the directory contents, so read the message informing you
of the actual filename to retrieve. It's there.
 
wu-ftpd Resource Center:  http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/
wu-ftpd FAQ:              http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html
wu-ftpd list archive:     http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/mail-archive/

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195

---

From: Ted Keller <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 15:36:15 -0500 (EST)

Chris,

I suspect you have not copied a working copy of ls to your chrooted area.
Also remember, if your system doesn't have statically linked binaries, you
will also have to copy the shared libraries to your chrooted area.  

Normally, you will copy the ls command to chroot/bin and any libraries to 
chroot/lib.

Hope this helps.

ted keller - bfg.com