Subject: BeroFTPD 1.2.1 passwd & shadow files

From: Che Tran <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 1998 18:38:09 -0800 (PST)

After a successful compilation with the --enable passwd switch, I was
able to use the passwd and shadow directives in ftpaccess. However, I
found that in order to log in successfully, I have to log in the 2nd time.
Am I missing something?
Secondly, the internal ls does not seem to function 100%, as I'm still
getting the following complaint when doing 'ls -al':

remote: -al

How do I use an ldd to find its dependencies since it's internal? 

On the side note, does anyone know how to use the useradd and passwd
commands to direct it to another file such as /usr/local/etc/wuftpd/passwd
and /usr/local/etc/wuftpd/shadow instead of /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow?

Thanks, you guys are cool!! (and a lot better than apache's mailing
list/news group, just kidding).

-ctran

---

From: Bernhard Rosenkraenzer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 1998 12:50:14 +0100 (CET)

> found that in order to log in successfully, I have to log in the 2nd time.

I can't reproduce this - are you getting any odd entries in syslog?

> getting the following complaint when doing 'ls -al':

Another "works for me" thing.
This is almost certainly a matter of your client. If you telnet into port
21 and do things by hand, you'll see...

Some clients think that -l means "output to local file", for example.

> How do I use an ldd to find its dependencies since it's internal? 

There's no such thing as an external ls command embedded and called...
The internal ls is just a procedure that does pretty much the same thing
calling ls would do.
It doesn't have any special dependencies.

> and /usr/local/etc/wuftpd/shadow instead of /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow?

At least in the versions I'm using (=whatever is installed by default on
RedHat 5.2 and FreeBSD 3.0-current), it's not possible - you'd have to
patch the source to handle another command line parameter, or create
different binaries (maybe useradd-ftp and passwd-ftp) with hardcoded
different paths for the files.
At least the latter shouldn't be much of a problem.

LLaP
bero

-- 
Windows 98 supports real multitasking - it can boot and crash simultaneously.
***
Anyone sending unwanted advertising e-mail to this address will be charged
$25 for network traffic and computing time. By extracting my address from
this message or its header, you agree to these terms.