Subject: Partition recommendations

From: Bill Delphenich <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 11:30:43 -0500

What are the recommendations of this group for partitioning of a hard
disk that will be used as an F TP and a Web server?
I have a 4.5 GB SCSI hard disk and I'm starting over from scratch,
running Caldera OpenLinux v1.3.

I assume that I will want /home on its own partition.

Thanks.

---

From: Cameron Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 12:59:20 -0400

In summary form, the following partitions should be defined.  The sizes
of these slices naturally will differ depending on the OS and amount of
OS installed.  Also, a firewall would not have all of the extra
filesystems [ from /local on down ], but an FTP and/or WEB server may
have all of these plus a few others [ /data/<customer site area> ].

My .02 cents worth.

Cameron

/
swap
/usr
/var
/local
/opt or /local/apps
/data/ftp
/data
/data/<web>
/home

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 12:15:21 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 10 Dec 1998, Bill Delphenich wrote:

> disk that will be used as an F TP and a Web server? I have a 4.5 GB
> SCSI hard disk and I'm starting over from scratch, running Caldera
> OpenLinux v1.3.
> 

Root partition:
  /

Temporary files, world-writable directories:
  /tmp
  /var/tmp

If users will have homes on the machine:
  /home

If your anonymous FTP site will allow uploads:
  /home/ftp/incoming

If you'll be running sendmail:
  /var/spool/mqueue

If users will have local Unix mailboxes on the machine:
  /var/spool/mail

The basic phylosophy is that you have a separate partition for each class
of service which is world-writable, or user-writable.  The idea is to
protect the machine from abuse in these various areas.

The root partition should contain only things which do not change (or at
least, not often).  It should be as small as practical, allowing some room
for growth.

Personally, I use a completely different spindle for the /home.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195