Subject: Users in a DBM file.

From: Carles Xavier Munyoz Baldó <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 09:59:24 +0100

Hello,

I'm modifying the source code of the wu-ftpd, to use a user DBM file
instead of the /etc/passwd file.
May someone help me with docs about the source code and other helps?

Many thanks.
---
CTV Internet [http://www.ctv.es]
Carles Xavier Munyoz Baldó / [email-masked] / [email-masked]
http://www.ctv.es/USERS/carles
Clave pública PGP / PGP public KEY
http://www.ctv.es/PGP-STAFF/carles.html
Dpto. Sistemas / Ingeniero Informático
Tel: +34 (9)6 5845291 - Fax: +34 (9)6 5844896
---

---

From: "Gjermund Sørseth" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 19:25:17 +0100 (MET)

>   May someone help me with docs about the source code and other helps?

This is not a good solution, there is no need to modify the source
code to achieve that. Instead create a (possibly shared) library
that implements the handful of getpwnam() (and so on) passwd-lookup
routines which wu-ftpd (and all other programs) use, where you use
gdbm (GNU dbm) to look up users.

Then, you can either link your lib into the executable (re-link wu-ftpd)
once and for all, or make a shell wrapper, something like
"LD_PRELOAD=mylib wu-ftpd" (that was a Solaris example) which links
in your shared library at run time.

(I made such a package long ago that we use at my site, but I haven't
 gotten around to putting it up on an ftp server yet, sorry)

-- 
Gjermund Sørseth