Subject: [VR11] More enhancements and bug fixes for beta-18

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 1998 12:00:00 -0500 (EST)

The VR11 patch set for WU-FTPD 2.4.2 (beta-18) is now available. 

This set includes additional features requested over the years by the user
community and includes a number of bug fixes for both the base (beta-18)
release and earlier VR patch sets.

These are available as both patches and pre-patched tarballs at my ftp
site: 

  ftp://ftp.vr.net/pub/wu-ftpd/

If you take just the patch files, please remember: they are cumulative. 
you cannot apply fixes from one set without earlier sets already having
been applied.  The first set for BETA-18 is VR3; VR1 and VR2 were for
BETA-17 only. 

Several pre-compiled binaries for VR11 are also available.  These include: 

  Sun/SunOS
  ---------
  sunos41x-ftpbin.tar.gz  (FTP support executables, ls etc.)
  wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-18-vr11-SunOS-4.1.3-U1.tar.gz

  Sun/Solaris
  -----------
  FTP242b18.wu-ftpd.2.4.2-beta18-VR11.SPARC.ULTRASparc.2.5.1.2.5.pkg.tar.Z
  FTP242b18.wu-ftpd.2.4.2-beta18-VR11.SPARC.ULTRASparc.2.5.1.2.5.pkg.tar.gz
  wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-18-vr11-Solaris-2.6.tar.gz

  Sun/NetBSD
  ----------
  wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-18-vr11-NetBSD-1.3I.tar.gz

  Sun/Linux
  ---------
  wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-18-vr11-linux-sparc.tar.gz

  SGI/IRIX
  --------
  irix62-ftpbin.tar.gz  (FTP support executables, ls etc.)
  wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-18-vr11-IRIX-6.2.tar.gz

  IBM/AIX
  -------
  wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-18-vr11-AIX.3.2.5.tar.gz

  DEC/Unix
  --------
  wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-18-vr11-OSF1-3.2-C2.tar.gz

  Intel/BSDI
  ----------
  wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-18-vr11-BSDI-2.1.tar.gz
  wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-18-vr11-BSDI-3.1.tar.gz

  Intel/Linux
  -----------
  ftp.bin.linux.i386.tar.gz (FTP support executables, ls etc.)
  wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-18-vr11.linux.i386.tar.gz

Thanks to all those who helped with debugging and built the pre-compiled
binaries.

This is a list of fixes to BETA 18 with VR10 applied from [email-masked]
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Add -r option to chroot the daemon during startup.  From a discussion on
the mailing list with <[email-masked]> on 12 Nov 1998.

Linux library includes no longer #define MAXMNTENT so if it's not there
#define it in extensions.c until someone has the time to fix this right.
Probably RedHat 5.1-ism.

Linux libraries now define some paths already in src/pathnames.h so we
need to #include <paths.h> first.  Did this in config/config.lnx. Probably
RedHat 5.1-ism.

Added syslog message if started as a standalone daemon and there is no
ftpaccess file being used.

Add an option to completely disable PASV mode and/or PORT mode.  Another
old request I found again.  Don't remember who first requested it.  This
was originally rants trying to block web clients.  I've put it in since it
seems blocking PORT is a good idea and blocking PASV is orthagonal to that
feature.

initsetproctitle was once again causing signal 11 crashes.  Moved the call
further up yet again and they're not happening.  Discovered in testing. I
believe there have been some reports of this but could never get enough
info to track it down.

A bad extern in ftpcmd.y caused garbage to be logged for the remoteident.
Discovered in testing.  I believe I had a vague report of this.

[email-masked] noted on 20 Nov 1998 the byte count for ASCII mode
file reception is off by a few characters.  This bug has been there for a
very long time.

[email-masked] suggested on 1 Nov 1998 a change to the
lslong and lsshort ftpaccess clauses to support more complex command lines
as well as the addition of lsplain to modify the default 'ls' behaviour.

[email-masked] reported problems with the new realpath.c on
SunOS.  He sent a patch on 23 Nov 1998 which fixes the problem.  
Basically, the getcwd() function on SunOS is too buggy to use so we had to
switch to getwd instead.  SunOS has joined AIX as systems which do not
provide the runtime support needed to avoid all buffer overruns in
realpath().  *sigh*

[email-masked] on 25 Nov 1998 reported a problem with CWD when no
parameter is given and the user is anonymous or guest.  The command should
work but returns an error instead; the error reveals the underlying file
system.  CWD should work like CWD ~.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195