Subject: Directory-Level Password Protection?

From: John Jung <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 1998 9:32:57 PST

Hi All,

  We've got WU-FTPD 2.4 (yeah, I know it's old, but management is skittish on
the "beta" tag for the other releases) running fine here.  However, management
now has a new requirement and wants to know if it can be done.  I don't think
it can, but I want to double check with everybody else:

        Can WU-FTPD handle directory-level access restrictions?

  Management is looking for something similar to ".htaccess" for Apache, but
for WU-FTPD.  I don't think it's do-able because I think WU-FTPD only does
authentication once, and that's at login.

  Am I wrong?  Is it possible to do directory-level access restrictions?  If
so, how would this be done?

  Thanks for your help.

						John

+-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------+
|   John Jung  ([email-masked]) |   Unigraphics Solutions             |
|   Global Technical Access Center    |   10824 Hope Street, 1S-241         |
|   Operating Systems Group           |   Cypress, California 90630         |
+---------------------------(800) 955-0000x3-586----------------------------+

---

From: Bob Luckin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 98 11:58:06 CST

John,

> so, how would this be done?

I'm not aware of a such a feature.  However, you may be able to use UNIX
group permissions to restrict access to specific directories via the
SITE GROUP and SITE GPASS commands.  (You'd have to issue the relevant
password to the folks you want to have access to the protected directory.)
For more detail, see the "private yes" command in the ftpaccess man page.

I use this method and it seems to work fine.  Of course, it may be that
this solution is not suitable for your particular problem...

Cheers, Bob

---

From: Glenn Nielsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 1998 07:21:22 -0600

We have a set of patches we maintain that restrict an authenticated
user to their home directory.  This is a method we use to place users
into the sandbox of their home directory so they can not see files
outside of it.  We also use this for creating accounts whose home
directory is within web space.  When these accounts use ftp they
can only modify content in the home directory for their "webmaster"
account.  These "webmaster" accounts do not have a shell so the only
means we give them for managing content is ftp.

These patches are current as of wuftpd 2.4.2 Beta 18.

Glenn Nielsen

Unix System Programmer
MOREnet
University of Missouri System

---

From: Eilon Gishri <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 1998 18:55:27 +0200

> These patches are current as of wuftpd 2.4.2 Beta 18.
Are those patches available for the public some where ?

-- 
Eilon Gishri					[email-masked]
Security Consultant				Office: +972-3-6406723
Israel Inter University Computation Center	Fax:	+972-3-6409118
  /* On a matter of national security */	Home:	+972-3-5078671