Subject: Managing large numbers of guest users

From: "Craig Shrimpton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Dec 1998 12:06:50 -0500

Folks,

I need to know the best method of managing guests.  I'm running wu-ftpd on
FreeBSD so I'm only able to have 200 users in a guest group.  Each user is
added to their own group and then to ftponly as a secondary.  This works,
but doesn't scale past 200 users.

Is there a way to have all users automatically considered guests and a
select few as real?  I need to do this while maintaining each individual's
group as the primary.

Thanks,

Craig

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Dec 1998 13:12:10 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 5 Dec 1998, Craig Shrimpton wrote:

> I need to know the best method of managing guests.  I'm running
> wu-ftpd on FreeBSD so I'm only able to have 200 users in a guest
> group.  Each user is added to their own group and then to ftponly as a
> secondary.  This works, but doesn't scale past 200 users.

Get VR11 and forget about the Unix group.  Just tell the server everyone's
a guest unless you specify otherwise.  BeroFTPD included this feature as
well.

  ftp://ftp.vr.net/pub/wu-ftpd/

> select few as real?  I need to do this while maintaining each
> individual's group as the primary.

Exactly the way I manage my site.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195