Subject: Re: Setting upload permissions

From: Michael Hall <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 1998 09:30:08 -0800

On Sun, Nov 01, 1998 at 12:09:05AM -0500, Gregory A Lundberg wrote:

> > Also, how can I feed chmod a bunch of directories with spaces in them?  
> > chmod g+s `find /ftp/pub/photoalbum -type d` chokes hard-core on
> > spaces.
> 
> You'll have to do a special script for those.

  On my system (Linux) I usually use something like:

$ find . -type f -print0 | xargs -0 -n 1 <some_program>

when I'm worried about special file names. Depends a lot on your version
of 'find/xargs', I know a lot of them also support '-X' (find -X ....).
Check your manpages for whats supported on your system.

PS: I always test first and run it through 'echo' before I actually
    let it do something I may regret (ie. find ... | xargs ... echo)

--
Thank you, but my system is very hung.

Mike Hall <[email-masked]>, (MH993)   -    http://www.riverside.org
System Administrator (*nix, Perl, CGI hacker, certified OS/2 Specialist)

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 1998 13:59:51 -0500 (EST)

>     let it do something I may regret (ie. find ... | xargs ... echo)

And be _very_ carefull when doing this as root.  You can trash your system
faster than you can blink an eye.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195