Subject: "ls" works but "dir" does not from a ftp client

From: "ANM Mlist 01" <[email-masked]>
Date: 15 Nov 1998 20:09:48 -0000

Hello,

The dreaded "ls" works but "dir" does not from a ftp client subject.

I have checked the faq and mailarchive for information on this issue
and have not found a workable explaination or solution.

I have tested my environment as follows "cd ~ftp;  chroot . /bin/ls -l" 
and get the following results:

total 5
d--x--x--x   2 root     root         1024 Sep 21 05:30 bin
dr-xr-xr-x   2 root     root         1024 Nov 15 19:19 etc
drwx-wx-wt   2 root     daemon       1024 Nov 15 18:28 incoming
dr-xr-xr-x   2 root     root         1024 Nov 15 18:49 lib
drwxr-xr-x   2 root     root         1024 Nov 15 18:29 pub

So I take it the "/bin/ls" in the chroot'ed fs work just peachy. Well
when I try as an anon login from a client, an "ls" returns:

ftp> ls
200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for file list.
pub
bin
etc
lib
incoming
226 Transfer complete.
30 bytes received in 0.11 seconds (0.27 Kbytes/sec)

while "dir" returns:

ftp> dir
200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for /bin/ls.
226 Transfer complete.

So what gives? 

Of course without client "dir" work properly, web based clients always
see the directories as empty.

On a different matter: I installed the latest wu.ftpd dist, at the time,
a couple months ago and deleted the tarball. Now I cannot remeber the
version and have tried to do a wu.ftpd -v to get the version, but get
zip. Any ides on how to determin the current ftp server version?

Thanks for the help

Anthony

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 1998 15:47:29 -0500 (EST)

> 30 bytes received in 0.11 seconds (0.27 Kbytes/sec)

This is the built-in lister (LIST).  It always works; the question is it
'ls' or 'dir' in the client.

> 150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for /bin/ls.

This is the external lister (~ftp/bin/ls) (NLST).  If it's not working
you're not set up correctly.  The chroot test is a good starting point
since it tells you things are there.  Check permissions.  Check the FAQ.

The location of the latest version of wu-ftpd can be found in the 
directory
 
      ftp://ftp.academ.com/pub/wu-ftpd/private/
 
You can't see the directory contents, so read the message informing you
of the actual filename to retrieve. It's there.
 
wu-ftpd Resource Center:  http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/
wu-ftpd FAQ:              http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html
wu-ftpd list archive:     http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/mail-archive/

> On a different matter: I installed the latest wu.ftpd dist, at the
> time, a couple months ago and deleted the tarball. Now I cannot
> remeber the version and have tried to do a wu.ftpd -v to get the
> version, but get zip. Any ides on how to determin the current ftp
> server version?

read the greeting message when you log in or
  quote SITE STAT
from a FTP client.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195

---

From: Data Current ListMail Account <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 1998 12:57:07 -0800 (PST)

Howdy.  What would cause wu to exit after uploading one file?
Right now, after every file, it kills itself on a signal 11.  What is a
signal 11?   Here's what an ftp session looks like in the log:

Nov  6 11:18:28 jedi ftpd[9194]: USER sean
Nov  6 11:18:29 jedi ftpd[9194]: PASS password
Nov  6 11:18:29 jedi ftpd[9194]: SYST
Nov  6 11:18:36 jedi ftpd[9194]: CWD web
Nov  6 11:18:37 jedi ftpd[9194]: PORT
Nov  6 11:18:37 jedi ftpd[9194]: LIST
Nov  6 11:18:41 jedi ftpd[9194]: TYPE Image
Nov  6 11:18:41 jedi ftpd[9194]: PORT
Nov  6 11:18:41 jedi ftpd[9194]: STOR Linux.jpg
Nov  6 11:18:41 jedi ftpd[9194]: exiting on signal 11

	After you STOR anything, it kills your connection.  What gives?
This is driving my clients crazy, as well as myself and any help you can
give is appreciated.  I'm using wu-ftpd 2.6.0(4) with the source that I
found at sunsite.  Thanks for your help in advance!  --Sean

------------------------------
Data Current, Inc.
[email-masked]
<http://www.datacurrent.com/>
------------------------------

---

From: "Scott D. MacKay" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 09:47:31 -0500

I had this problem too for a while.  Check your /dev/ entries.  At the
bottom of this message is what I copied/configured for my system.  
Notes: I tried alot of things so this may be overkill. 
       This is for a Solaris 2.5 SPARC20 system.
       This was a test configuration, so permissions are not correct.

-Scott

> read the greeting message when you log in or

 ls -lR
.:
total 16
drwxrwxr-x   2 sdm      staff        512 Nov 16 09:44 bin
drwxrwxr-x   2 sdm      staff        512 Nov 13 13:53 cust
drwxrwxr-x   2 sdm      staff        512 Nov 12 16:13 dev
drwxrwxr-x   3 sdm      staff        512 Nov 13 16:12 etc
drwxrwxr-x   2 sdm      staff        512 Nov 13 13:49 guest
drwxrwxr-x   2 sdm      staff        512 Nov 13 13:49 rte
drwxrwxr-x   3 sdm      staff        512 Nov 12 16:11 usr
drwxrwxr-x   3 sdm      staff        512 Nov 13 15:30 var

./bin:
total 36
-rwxrwxrwx   1 root     other      17500 Nov 12 16:04 ls

./cust:
total 0

./dev:
total 0
-rw-rw-rw-   1 root     root           0 Nov 13 16:02 null
crw-rw-r--   1 root     other     11, 42 Nov 12 14:43 tcp
crw-rw-r--   1 root     other      8,  1 Nov 12 14:44 ticotsord
crw-rw-r--   1 root     other     11, 41 Nov 12 14:43 udp
crw-rw-r--   1 root     other     13, 12 Nov 12 16:13 zero

./etc:
total 16
drwxrwxr-x   3 sdm      staff        512 Nov 12 12:45 daemon
-rw-rw-r--   1 sdm      staff        163 Nov 13 15:30 ftpaccess
-rw-r--r--   1 sdm      staff        375 Nov 12 14:19 group
-rw-r--r--   1 root     other       1064 Nov 12 14:28 netconfig
-rw-r--r--   1 sdm      staff        981 Nov 12 16:05 nsswitch.conf
-rw-rw-r--   1 sdm      staff         61 Nov 12 13:34 passwd
-rw-rw-r--   1 sdm      staff         29 Nov 13 16:01 shadow

./etc/daemon:
total 2
drwxrwxr-x   2 sdm      staff        512 Nov 12 12:46 ftpd

./etc/daemon/ftpd:
total 8
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root        4096 Nov 12 16:15 ftp.pids-all

./guest:
total 0

./rte:
total 0

./usr:
total 4
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     other          6 Nov 12 16:11 bin -> ../bin
drwxrwxr-x   2 sdm      staff       1024 Nov 12 16:10 lib

./usr/lib:
total 6694
-rwxr-xr-x   1 sdm      staff      24576 Nov 12 14:28 ld.so
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     other     106768 Nov 12 14:28 ld.so.1
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     other     664872 Nov 12 16:10 libc.so
-rwxr-xr-x   1 sdm      staff     664872 Nov 12 14:22 libc.so.1
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     other       2568 Nov 12 16:10 libdl.so
-rwxr-xr-x   1 sdm      staff       2568 Nov 12 13:52 libdl.so.1
-rw-r--r--   1 root     other     100948 Nov 12 15:19 libelf.a
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     other      66644 Nov 12 15:19 libelf.so
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     other      66644 Nov 12 15:19 libelf.so.1
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     other      15304 Nov 12 16:10 libintl.so
-rwxr-xr-x   1 sdm      staff      15304 Nov 12 13:52 libintl.so.1
-rwxr-xr-x   1 sdm      staff      15720 Nov 12 13:52 libmp.so.1
-rwxr-xr-x   1 sdm      staff      99616 Nov 12 13:55 libnisdb.so.2
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     other     569928 Nov 12 16:10 libnsl.so
-rwxr-xr-x   1 sdm      staff     569928 Nov 12 13:55 libnsl.so.1
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     other      68780 Nov 12 16:10 libsocket.so
-rwxr-xr-x   1 sdm      staff      68780 Nov 12 13:52 libsocket.so.1
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     other      39340 Nov 12 16:10 libw.so
-rwxr-xr-x   1 sdm      staff      39340 Nov 12 13:52 libw.so.1
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     other      15636 Nov 12 14:29 nss_compat.so.1
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     other      10796 Nov 12 14:29 nss_dns.so.1
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     other      21028 Nov 12 14:29 nss_files.so.1
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     other       5964 Nov 12 14:29 nss_netmasks.so.1
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     other      24408 Nov 12 14:29 nss_nis.so.1
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     other      28848 Nov 12 14:29 nss_nisplus.so.1
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     other       9316 Nov 12 16:10 straddr.so

./var:
total 2
drwxrwxr-x   2 sdm      staff        512 Nov 13 15:30 adm

./var/adm:
total 10
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root        4096 Nov 13 16:03 ftp.pids-all
-rw-rw----   1 root     root          73 Nov 13 15:31 xferlog
-- 
-------------------------
| Scott MacKay : Postmaster
|   [email-masked] | [email-masked] | ICQ 22025608 | (716) 383-1290
| Real Time Enterprises, Pittsford NY
| -Electronic Document Imaging-System Integration-Software Development-
| 'The opinions shared here only reflect the poster's  
|  views and may not reflect the views of the company.'