Subject: Groups

From: [email-masked] (Luiz Antonio de Souza)
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 10:18:07 -0200

Hi all!

I need create ftp groups with wu-ftp.
Can somebody sendme an example how to do this?

TIA

Souza

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 09:15:26 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 12 Nov 1998, Luiz Antonio de Souza wrote:

> I need create ftp groups with wu-ftp. Can somebody sendme an example
> how to do this?

Add 'private yes' to ftpaccess

Create the UNIX group for special anonymous access, set up the permissions
and ownership for the directories and files group is to have special
access to.

Create /etc/ftpgroups with the FTP groupname (which can be different than
the UNIX group name).  For ease of password maintenance, I'd recommend
downloading privatepw from the Resource Center.

The user will need a FTP client which allows SITE or QUOTE SITE commands
(I don't think web clients will do for this).  To gain special access, the
use logs in as a normal anonymous FTP then issues SITE GROUP giving the
FTP group name followed by SITE GPASS with the password for the FTP GROUP.

Now, it's almost certain that none of this is what you're looking for.
Instead, you're looking for guest access.  That is covered quite well in
the FAQ.

The location of the latest version of wu-ftpd can be found in the 
directory
 
      ftp://ftp.academ.com/pub/wu-ftpd/private/
 
You can't see the directory contents, so read the message informing you
of the actual filename to retrieve. It's there.
 
wu-ftpd Resource Center:  http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/
wu-ftpd FAQ:              http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html
wu-ftpd list archive:     http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/mail-archive/

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195

---

From: "Paul F. Williams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 10:27:37 -0600 (CST)

In the book "Managing Internet Information Services" there is a reference
to ftpgroups, however I didn't encounter such a reference in the on-line,
faqs from wu-ftp.  Did I just miss it or does one need the book?

paulw

> wu-ftpd list archive:     http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/mail-archive/

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Paul F. Williams, UW-Extension, 432 N. Lake St.,  Madison, WI 53706
[email-masked], 608-262-6011
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 11:42:23 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 12 Nov 1998, Paul F. Williams wrote:

> In the book "Managing Internet Information Services" there is a
> reference to ftpgroups, however I didn't encounter such a reference in
> the on-line, faqs from wu-ftp.  Did I just miss it or does one need
> the book?

The book mentions it because it's a feature of the daemon.  That doesn't
mean anyone uses it.  In my experience, when people as about ftp groups
they're looking for guestgroups and not SITE GROUP.  I'm sure some sites
use it and find it solves a specific set of problems but for the average
user, it's unlikely to be the feature they want.

The FAQ only cover _Frequently_ Asked Questions.  If ftp groups were
covered in the FAQ, it would be something like:

Q: How do I use ftp groups?
A: They probably are not what you're looking for, see the section(s) on
   guest groups instead.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195