Subject: Virtual

From: Jack Beech - President <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 14:47:32 -0600 (CST)

I know that Virtual FTP has been touched on in the past, and I have read
over all of the information that I could find.. However, it's still doesnt
want to work properly.

I have all of the virtual information set in the ftpaccess file as
mentioned.  However, when you log in, it places you in /.  It acts as if
ts not even reading the ftpaccess file, however running ckconfig shows all
files to be in the proper place.  Anyone encountered this problem?

Another quick question.. It mentioned that you needed to have a ftp
directory for each virtual.  Does each virtual ftp dir need to have all of
the libs and everything in it aswell?

Thanks,

Jack Beech				Serving Internet Access in:
President / CEO				California:Texas:Illinois:Florida:
Nationwide Internet			New York:Tennessee:Pennsylvania:
http://www.nationwide.net		Georgia:Washington:Michigan:Arizona
1-888-Nationwide (628-4669)		Massachusetts:Indiana:Oregon:Maryland

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 16:01:17 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 18 Nov 1998, Jack Beech - President wrote:

> mentioned.  However, when you log in, it places you in /.  It acts as
> if ts not even reading the ftpaccess file, however running ckconfig
> shows all files to be in the proper place.  Anyone encountered this
> problem?

It worked OK with the stock beta-18.  I needed a bit more, so I have
additional stuff for virtual in VR10.  If you have more powerful needs,
switch to BeroFTPD.

> directory for each virtual.  Does each virtual ftp dir need to have
> all of the libs and everything in it aswell?

Yes.  Probably the cause of your problems, as well.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195

---

From: "Paul F. Williams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 15:35:38 -0600 (CST)

I have two AIX servers, one is running 4.2 and the other has 4.2.1 

I have the latest wu-ftpd installed on both (beta18)

On the server running AIX 4.2
When I ftp anonymously to it the dir command will give me a 
long listing.

On the server running AIX 4.2.1
When I ftp anonymously to it the dir command does not give
a listing.

I have compared the files and permissions on both systems
and they look the same

for AIX 4.2
d--x--x--x   2 root     system       512 Nov 12 11:19 bin/
d--x--x--x   2 root     system       512 Jul 23 1997  dev/
d--x--x--x   2 root     system       512 Apr 25 1997  etc/
d--x--x--x   2 root     system       512 Aug 20 1996  lib/
-rw-r--r--   1 root     system       127 Feb 18 1998  welcome.msg

The ./dev entry contains
crw-rw-rw-   1 listsmgr listserv   2,  2 Nov 18 15:28 null

for AIX 4.2.1
d--x--x--x   2 root     system       512 Nov 18 13:01 bin/
d--x--x--x   2 root     system       512 Mar 24 1997  etc/
d--x--x--x   2 root     system       512 Mar 24 1997  lib/
-rw-r--r--   1 root     system       134 Oct 27 12:23 welcome.msg

One diff is in the ./lib directories, there is a slight difference 
in the size of the libcurses.a file.

I compared both of the ftpaccess files and made them the same but
still no luck.

Any idea where I should focus my attention.

I have set up guest accounts on both servers and neither login
to the guest account produces a directory list with the dir command.

I have not set up ./etc ./bin accounts in the root of the guest account
so perhpas this is critical.  

If someone recommends I read the FAQ I would appreciate also
knowing which section because I don't recall seeing this mentioned
anywhere in the docs.   Of course that is not to say it isn't
there, I just can't see it for some reason.

Then again, perhaps something in AIX 4.2.1 is causing the problem.

paulw

------------------------------------------------------------
Paul F. Williams, Network Administrator, Information Systems
UW-Extension, 432 N. Lake St.,  Madison, WI 53706
[email-masked], 608-262-6011, FAX 608-262-2343
------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 16:50:53 -0500 (EST)

> Then again, perhaps something in AIX 4.2.1 is causing the problem.

I don't see a /dev and /dev/null on the 4.2.1 system

--

---

From: "Paul F. Williams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 11:11:45 -0600 (CST)

I finally solved this.

The FAQ section 6 has an AIX section and refers to the contents
of the ./lib directory.  For some reason the libc.a and libcurses.a
didn't work.  I re copied them from the location on the server and
dir started to work.

paulw