Subject: Sessions not hanging up

From: George Campbell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1998 10:30:07 -0500 (EST)

We are running wu-ftpd 2.4 on a Sparc Ultra-1 with SunOS 4.0
and we find that user sessions seemed to be hanging around
instead of hanging up when they finish. We have been killing
old sessions ourselves, but I think we probably have
some parameter set up incorrectly.

Any suggestions for a poor amateur?
-------------------------------------------------------
George Campbell
Systems Support Analyst, Information Technology Services
Algonquin College of Arts and Technology,
1385 Woodroffe Avenue, Nepean, Ontario, Canada, K2G 1V8
613.727-4723 Ext 5494, Fax 613.727-7719

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1998 11:02:51 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 6 Nov 1998, George Campbell wrote:

> We are running wu-ftpd 2.4 on a Sparc Ultra-1 with SunOS 4.0 and we
> find that user sessions seemed to be hanging around instead of hanging
> up when they finish. We have been killing old sessions ourselves, but
> I think we probably have some parameter set up incorrectly.

I brlieve this is an old, old problem which upgrading to the current
versions should fix.

The location of the latest version of wu-ftpd can be found in the 
directory
 
      ftp://ftp.academ.com/pub/wu-ftpd/private/
 
You can't see the directory contents, so read the message informing you
of the actual filename to retrieve. It's there.
 
wu-ftpd Resource Center:  http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/
wu-ftpd FAQ:              http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html
wu-ftpd list archive:     http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/mail-archive/

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195

---

From: Jon Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Nov 1998 19:41:50 -0500 (EST)

> some parameter set up incorrectly.

I posted a patch that _fixes_ this problem more than a year ago, but I
don't think Stan liked it, and it was not accepted into wu-ftpd.  If
there's an archive for this list, search for the following and you will
find my patch.  If I have time, soon I will upgrade to the latest release
adn post a patch for it again.

+int zap_xfer_time = 0;         /* timeout after which an xfer is aborted
+                                  by killing the session */

---dont't waste your cpu, crack rc5...www.distributed.net team enzo---
 Jon Lewis <[email-masked]>  |  Spammers will be winnuked or 
 Network Administrator       |  nestea'd...whatever it takes
 Florida Digital Turnpike    |  to get the job done.
______http://inorganic5.fdt.net/~jlewis/pgp for PGP public key________

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Nov 1998 01:02:41 -0500 (EST)

> +                                  by killing the session */

I researched your patch during my investigations.  It appeared to me the
problem your patch was meant to solve was handled other (better) ways.
I've included a derivitave of the patch in the VR versions, limit-time in
the ftpaccess file limits the total time of the connection but does not
kill any transfers in progress.  Other patches (already present in
beta-18) take care of the missing timeout you and many others addressed.
Interestingly, a patch for the same problem had been posted almost a year
earlier which went totally unnoticed.

--

---

From: Jon Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Nov 1998 01:13:23 -0500 (EST)

> problem your patch was meant to solve was handled other (better) ways.

As the name implies, zap_xfer_time puts a limit on the time that can be
spent in a single read/write operation during an upload/download.  I did
this because I was frequently having to manually kill ftpd processes in
which someone went off-line during a file transfer, and since the
inactivity alarm was disabled during transfers, these sessions never timed
out.  I've been on the list for a while and not noticed other patches
dealing with this problem.  Do you have URLs where the ones you found
tonight can be seen?

> beta-18) take care of the missing timeout you and many others addressed.

I'll have to take a look at beta-18 then.