Subject: Limited root directory.

From: Mauricio Herrera <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 1998 19:26:40 -0600

Hi all!

I'm a Linux RedHat 5.2 user with wu-ftpd. I have many users logging to my
server via FTP, but all of them are real users, I have no anonymous or
guests. I am using virtual servers also. They have their local root
directory, but I want to  deny them the permission to go to directories on
a higher level. I can't find how to do this. I have tried tcpwrappers but
got a lot of mess. 

Thanks for any help on this.

Mauricio

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 1998 21:39:03 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 26 Nov 1998, Mauricio Herrera wrote:

> I'm a Linux RedHat 5.2 user with wu-ftpd. I have many users logging to
> my server via FTP, but all of them are real users, I have no anonymous
> or guests. I am using virtual servers also. They have their local root
> directory, but I want to deny them the permission to go to directories
> on a higher level. I can't find how to do this. I have tried
> tcpwrappers but got a lot of mess.

Make 'em guests.  See 'guestgroup' in the ftpaccess manpage and read the
FAQ for help.

The location of the latest version of wu-ftpd can be found in the 
directory
 
      ftp://ftp.academ.com/pub/wu-ftpd/private/
 
You can't see the directory contents, so read the message informing you
of the actual filename to retrieve. It's there.
 
wu-ftpd Resource Center:  http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/
wu-ftpd FAQ:              http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html
wu-ftpd list archive:     http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/mail-archive/

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195

---

From: Aaron Faby <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 1998 22:57:22 -0500

> Thanks for any help on this.

  Hmmm
I think theres a way to root users by adding a /./ to their home directory
in the passwd file.

Like so:

joe:500:501:iJeUsYshsIe938:/home/./joe/:blah

whereever you put the /./ is the highest they can go

Aaron