Subject: y2k and wu_ftpd

From: "Thunem, Tom" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 12:12:47 -0700

good day,

i've tried on several occasions this morning to reach the FAQ to answer this
myself but the server appears to be having some difficulty.  i just need to
know if my version of wu_ftpd is y2k compliant.

(Version wu-2.4.2-academ[BETA-17](1) Fri Jul 3 13:35:19 BST 1998)

thx

Tom Thunem
INTERNET Support
AVNET, Inc.

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 14:47:46 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 16 Nov 1998, Thunem, Tom wrote:

> i've tried on several occasions this morning to reach the FAQ to
> answer this myself but the server appears to be having some
> difficulty.  i just need to know if my version of wu_ftpd is y2k
> compliant.
> 

Y2K compliance is something you have to judge for yourself since there is
no definition of what the term means.

If you mean, does it use dates anywhere?  Yes.  Will it break if the
century changes?  Who knows .. test it for yourself.  Those of use who use
it or know the code don't believe there are any problems, but if there
are, they're yours and you're welcome to them.

Some time ago (before the beta-17 version you're running) a change was
made to the daemon so support *OTHER* programs which used dates in
inappropriate ways.  The daemon itself does not care a bit about the
current system date (only the time) and where it does anything with dates
or times, it uses Unix internal dates.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195