Subject: ascii transfer size doesn't equal ls -l size

From: Ron Stanonik <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 11:40:24 00800

We're running wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-18 on Solaris 2.6 and notice
that sometimes for ascii incoming transfers the size in xferlog
is less than ls -l of the file.  What could possibly do this?
wu-ftpd simply does getc()/putc() and the \r's aren't included
in the xferlog byte_count.  A bug in stdio?  wu-ftpd?

Maybe related, many files are being transferred in each session.
Actually, the limit now between 50 and 200 puts, because of problems
opening further data connections.  We've been suspecting the client
(an IBM VM), but I need to do more testing.

Thanks,

Ron Stanonik
[email-masked]

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 15:42:08 -0500 (EST)

Apples and Oranges

The ls -l size if the binary size.  ASCII transfer converts LF to CR/LF on
send and CR/LF to LF in receive.  Basically, the difference will be, in
characters, the number of lines in the file (approximately).

On Fri, 20 Nov 1998, Ron Stanonik wrote:

> We're running wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-18 on Solaris 2.6 and notice that
> sometimes for ascii incoming transfers the size in xferlog is less
> than ls -l of the file.  What could possibly do this? wu-ftpd simply
> does getc()/putc() and the \r's aren't included in the xferlog
> byte_count.  A bug in stdio?  wu-ftpd?
> 

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195