Subject: ftpaccess and guestgroup

From: "Marxen, Sara" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 12:00:32 -0800

After upgrading to wu-ftpd beta 18 on a redhat 5.1 server I am unable to

get the ftpaccess file to work properly.  None of my guests are guests
anymore,
they are just normal users and I can't figure out why.
I have downloaded and run ftpck 1.11 it does not give me any errors
related to the guest groups function though it does report errors on my 
upload directive that I have not investigated yet.  Attached are the
lines from ftp access,
a guest groups password entry, and group entry.  Help is greatly
appreciated, is there something different between beta 17 and beta 18
that my ftpaccess file would no longer work?

/etc/ftpaccess:
class   all   real  *
guestgroup studentgrp 

/etc/group:
studentgrp:x:255:mnagas03

/etc/passwd:
mnagas03:x:10678:10678:Nagashima,
Mayumi:/home/webusrs/./mnagas03/public_html:/bin/ftpdonly

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 15:14:14 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 19 Nov 1998, Marxen, Sara wrote:

> After upgrading to wu-ftpd beta 18 on a redhat 5.1 server I am unable
> to get the ftpaccess file to work properly.  None of my guests are
> guests anymore, they are just normal users and I can't figure out why.
> related to the guest groups function though it does report errors on
> my upload directive that I have not investigated yet.  Attached are
> the lines from ftp access, a guest groups password entry, and group
> entry.  Help is greatly appreciated, is there something different
> between beta 17 and beta 18 that my ftpaccess file would no longer
> work?
> 
> /etc/ftpaccess:
> class   all   real  *
> guestgroup studentgrp 
> 
> /etc/group:
> mnagas03:x:10678:10678::/home/webusrs/./mnagas03/public_html:/bin/ftpdonly

Looks like you don't have any 'class' for 'guest' users.  Try this
instead:
  class all real,guest *

Don't fret about the upload stuff reported by ftpck .. if it's working and
you have tested it to be working, it's ok.  I've had ftpck report problems
with my upload clauses for years now .. never bothered to figure out why
since I consider ftpck a dinosaur and far less accurate than my eyeball.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195

---

From: "Paul F. Williams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 14:46:49 -0600 (CST)

You may be lloking at the wrong ftpaccess file.
Go to the location where you installed from and run the

  ./bin/ckconfig

program.  It will indicate where the ftpaccess file and other files
should be located.  The location may have changed.

paulw

> Mayumi:/home/webusrs/./mnagas03/public_html:/bin/ftpdonly

------------------------------------------------------------
Paul F. Williams, Network Administrator, Information Systems
UW-Extension, 432 N. Lake St.,  Madison, WI 53706
[email-masked], 608-262-6011, FAX 608-262-2343
------------------------------------------------------------