Subject: ftpusers ftpgoups

From: Ted Keller <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 1998 14:34:45 -0500 (EST)

Hello,  

I'm finding precious little information on the functions fo the ftpusers
and ftpgroups accounts.  Can anyone explain how these files are used and
what their contents should be?

Many thanks

ted keller - bfg.com

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 1998 18:03:05 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 27 Nov 1998, Ted Keller wrote:

> I'm finding precious little information on the functions fo the
> ftpusers and ftpgroups accounts.  Can anyone explain how these files
> are used and what their contents should be?

Sure.  Read the man pages.

ftpusers is a list of usernames you do NOT want allowed to use FTP.  This
should include all 'special' users on your system such as 'root', 'bin'
etc.

ftpgroups you don't want to use.  Leave it blank and say 'private no' in
your ftpaccess file.  Read the man page for ftpgroups and the 'private'
clause in the manpage for ftpaccess.  Honestly, I'd say don't bother
looking; it won't do anything you want it to and it'll just confuse you.
ftpgroups is a good and valuable tool, but almost nobody needs it any
more.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195

---

From: Ted Keller <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 1998 21:15:52 -0500 (EST)

Thanks for the info.  However, those two files are not in the man pages on
the 2.4.2-beta-18 release.

ted keller

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 1998 07:25:46 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 27 Nov 1998, Ted Keller wrote:

> Thanks for the info.  However, those two files are not in the man
> pages on the 2.4.2-beta-18 release.

ftpusers doesn't have a manpage of it's own.  for ftphosts(5) either take
a squeegee to your eyeballs go get a clean copy of the source kit.  it's
there.  really.

the entire documentation for ftpusers is a bit thin: a reference to how
it's used is ftpd(8) and the example file.  Considering the file, however,
that looks like enough.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195