Subject: Changing LRECL when doing a 'put' to a mainframe

From: "Burton, Mark E" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 1998 15:35:49 -0500

I'm using PERL to ftp a file from a UNIX box to MVS on a mainframe.  The
mainframe has a record length of 133 set as the default in their ftp
software.  My file is 175 bytes long and gets truncated to 133.  I need
to be able to override the record length to 175 while doing a 'put' from
PERL.  Has anyone done this, and do you have an example of the syntax
for WU-FTP?  I've been hunting for a command that would be equivalent to
doing the following on the mainframe side if doing a 'get'.  LOCSITE
LRECL=175.

Thank you!

---

From: Nick Maclaren <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 1998 22:14:27 +0100

> doing the following on the mainframe side if doing a 'get'.  LOCSITE

If you need to specify the record length for the get but not the put,
then the mainframe software is broken beyond redemption.  Under MVS,
you can set the record length only when creating a file or overwriting
it in its entirety.  Well, you CAN do it at other times, but it has
effects that are useful only to experts.

You need to enquire from the mainframe people - it isn't primarily
a Perl or wu-ftpd question.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
University of Cambridge Computing Service,
New Museums Site, Pembroke Street, Cambridge CB2 3QG, England.
Email:  [email-masked]
Tel.:  +44 1223 334761    Fax:  +44 1223 334679