Subject: wu-ftp/AOL

From: "Rick Flood" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 13:07:50 -0500

I am running wu-ftp version 2.4.2(2) on Solaris 2.6.  For sometime I have
been receiving occasional reports of users coming from AOL being unable to
connect with our server. It is certainly not all AOL users, because the logs
show that many user from AOL download files from our server daily.  It
appears to be primarily Mac's that are having a problem...

Has anyone else heard of such complaints?  I have nearly no experience with
Macs, nor do I have access to any, so testing becomes a bit difficult...

Rick Flood mailto:[email-masked]
Eastman Kodak, INET Infrastructure
Phone:(716)722-4331   Fax:(716)477-0552

---

From: Brett Goldstock <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 17:22:01 -0500

I have the same problem with some Mac users (although the vast majority of
my 850+ users have no trouble). I'm running wu-2.4.2-academ[BETA-18](1) on
a Solaris 2.5.1 machine. But I think I pinned it down even more
specifically. I've had users experience problems when they use AOL simply
as a gateway to the internet and then use a FTP client such a Fetch on the
Mac. But the same users can download fine using AOL's built-in FTP client
(keyword FTP). I noticed in my xferlog file that they come from a different
subnet at aol.com depending on which of these methods they use.

I'd be interested to know if there's further evidence to support this pattern.

-Brett

>Phone:(716)722-4331   Fax:(716)477-0552

|Brett M. Goldstock                               [email-masked]|
|Senior Technical Analyst/Sys Admin          http://www.tvdata.com|
|TVData                                               800/833-9581|
|                "We tell the world what's on TV."                |