Subject: Re: your mail

From: Chris Funk <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1998 08:29:08 -0500 (CDT)

I'm trying to setup BeroFTPD with Virtual host support, but can only seem
to get to the primary server.  I've setup an ftpservices file, etc., but I
can't figure out how to define the hostnames... really, quite lost, as the
documentation seems to be MIA for non-IP based virtual hosts.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

_______________________________________________________________________________
Chris Funk					[email-masked]
Complete Computing Services			www.CompleteComputing.com
(713) 661-8783
6666 Chimney Rock Road #92
Houston, Texas 77081-5331

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1998 10:16:03 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 7 Oct 1998, Chris Funk wrote:

> I'm trying to setup BeroFTPD with Virtual host support, but can only
> seem to get to the primary server.  I've setup an ftpservices file,
> etc., but I can't figure out how to define the hostnames... really,
> quite lost, as the documentation seems to be MIA for non-IP based
> virtual hosts.

The FTP protocol does NOT support non-IP based virtual hosts at all.  This
is not a deficiency in the daemon, it is a requirement of the protocol
itself; no FTP server supports non-IP based virtual hosts.

BeroFTPD has an EXPERIMENTAL feature to support them, but this feature is
ONLY usable by FTP Client authors so they may test new versions of their
software in preparation for the next-generation FTP specification.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195

---

From: Bernhard Rosenkraenzer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1998 22:04:11 +0200 (CEST)

> documentation seems to be MIA for non-IP based virtual hosts.

The documentation is virtually nonexistant because you shouldn't be using
it unless you're absolutely sure you know what you're doing.
The HOST command, which is used for this, is currently in no RFC (though
it has been discussed), I've just put in a preliminary support for the
draft.
If you want to access a non-IP based virtual host, you need a client that
supports it. Currently there is NO client supporting it directly; however,
I have made a patch for netkit-ftp that will allow it to access non-IP
virtual hosts
(ftp://beroftpd.unix.eu.org/pub/BeroFTPD/HOST/netkit-ftp.diff.gz), so if
you want to use it internally, you can.
I hope other clients will follow shortly.

LLaP
bero

-- 
Windows 98 supports real multitasking - it can boot and crash simultaneously.
***
Anyone sending unwanted advertising e-mail to this address will be charged
$25 for network traffic and computing time. By extracting my address from
this message or its header, you agree to these terms.