Subject: Re: directory blocking for NORETRIEVE

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 1998 13:22:36 +0900

Greg,

I tried to apply the line :

noretrieve  /etc/*

to my latest installed VR8 (downloaded yesterday) but sadly couldn't get it
to work. I could still download files from /etc directory. It has no
problems if I were to specify single files (ie. noretrieve /etc/hosts
/etc/passwd ....) though.

Is my use of NORETRIEVE correct????

thks

Victor Tan

"lundberg+wuftpd"@vr.net on 29/09/98 09:47:34 PM

To:   Thian Leng Victor Tan/IT/SINGAPORE/BFI/BNP
cc:   [email-masked]
Subject:  Re: directory blocking for NORETRIEVE

On Tue, 29 Sep 1998 [email-masked] wrote:

> does anyone know how I can block entire directories (eg. /etc/*) from
> being ftp'd using the NORETRIEVE command???

Get the VR7-patched beta-18, or wait until the 1st and get VR8.

   ftp://ftp.vr.net/pub/wu-ftpd/wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-18-vr7.tar.gz

--

Gregory A Lundberg	 Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 1998 12:24:51 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 2 Oct 1998 [email-masked] wrote:

> Is my use of NORETRIEVE correct?

No.  Use this instead:

noretrieve /etc

Very few of the features of wu-ftpd actually support filename globbing or
regular expressions.  In fact, I'm just this week sitting down to work on
that deficiency in the daemon.  There's several old requests about this.
Here's what I've got in my VR9 plan on this subject:

-- 

Support regular expressions in noretrieve.  From a patch submitted to the
mailing list by [email-masked] on Apr 22, 1997.

Support globbing/wildcards throughout ftpaccess file.  From a request sent
to the mailing list by [email-masked] on Oct 7, 1997.  Patch posted to
the mailing list by [email-masked] on Oct 8, 1997.

Add 'allow-retrieve' to allow retrieval of files which would be denied by
earlier 'noretrieve' clauses.  From a request sent to the mailing list by
[email-masked] on Oct 7, 1997.

Include the 'password-check-kit' posted to the mailing list June 9, 1998,
by [email-masked].  This adds regular expression matching for
email addresses.  The original kit checks the DNS for A and MX RRs; only
MX records should be verified since A records should never be used for
delivery of email and the idea is to determine if the email address given
could possibly be correct.

--

---

From: Ayamura Kikuchi <[email-masked]>
Date: 03 Oct 1998 02:25:19 +0900

> could possibly be correct.

The password-check-kit-1.4.5 for VR8, Bero and academ is now available.
	ftp://ftp.eos.hokudai.ac.jp/pub/wu-ftpd/pck/release/

-- Ayamura Kikuchi