Subject: Re: chroot isn't working

From: Ted Keller <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 12:31:41 -0400 (EDT)

Brent,

Make sure you started wu-ftpd with the -a option so that you forced it to
read your configuration file.  This is a change between 2.4 and the
2.4.2-beta releases which seems to catch a lot of people.

ted keller - bfg.com

On Fri, 23 Oct 1998, Brent Maier wrote:

> Hello,
>      I am following a faq on setting up wu-ftpd for guest accounts.  The
> login is working fine and they are dumped into their ftp account directory.
> The problem is that the /./ chroot that isn't working and it allows them to
> have free reign of the entire system.  Here's what I have in my passwd file
> for the user.
> 
> brent:*:300:51:Brent FTP Account:/home/ftp/guestftp/brent/./:/etc/ftponly
> 
> The /./ isnt keeping the user brent in the brent directory.  Any help would
> be most appreciated.  Thank You
> 
> I'm running everything right out of the Linux 5.0 box.
> 
> -Brent
> [email-masked]
>

---

From: John Olp <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 11:38:09 -0700

All,

The man page on ftpaccess says that logging of commands and transfers can
be individually enabled (also depending on class).  Logging of the
transfers goes to the xferlog which works okay, but where do the command
log entries go?  Since I can't seem to find the destination, I must assume
it's not even working even though I've enabled it.  What should I be
looking for to make sure commands are logged?  I know that I can run
(wu-)ftpd in debug mode and get this information from syslog, but that's
not what I want, since (correct me if I'm wrong) there isn't a specific
facility for logging just the ftp output to it's own file.

Also, assuming I can get command logging working, I'm interested in knowing
if there are any good log parsing utilities or tools available (free would
make me happy, but I'm willing to pay depending on the robustness of the
reports/output).  What I'd like to be able to do is mail the log files to
an ftp admin and let him run the parsers/tools against them (tools don't
have to run on the same machine as the ftpd).  So if there are platform
options, I'd like to know those too.

TIA,

-JO

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 15:44:58 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 23 Oct 1998, John Olp wrote:

> The man page on ftpaccess says that logging of commands and transfers
> can be individually enabled (also depending on class).  Logging of the
> transfers goes to the xferlog which works okay, but where do the
> command log entries go?  Since I can't seem to find the destination, I
> must assume it's not even working even though I've enabled it.  What
> should I be looking for to make sure commands are logged?  I know that
> I can run (wu-)ftpd in debug mode and get this information from
> syslog, but that's not what I want, since (correct me if I'm wrong)
> there isn't a specific facility for logging just the ftp output to
> it's own file.

Command logging goes to the system log files.  You need -l on the command
line and a 'log commands ...' statement in ftpaccess both to make it work.

> Also, assuming I can get command logging working, I'm interested in
> knowing if there are any good log parsing utilities or tools available
> (free would make me happy, but I'm willing to pay depending on the
> robustness of the reports/output).  What I'd like to be able to do is
> mail the log files to an ftp admin and let him run the parsers/tools
> against them (tools don't have to run on the same machine as the
> ftpd).  So if there are platform options, I'd like to know those too.

Use Phil's xferstats to process the ftp log (xferlog).  For system logs
use grep and mail the output.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195