Subject: Clients having trouble connecting

From: Brett Goldstock <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 15:16:00 -0400

Hello.

I'm running WU-ftpd wu-2.4.2-academ[BETA-18] on a Sun Sparcstation with
Solaris 2.5.1. I have over 800 users and most of them connect with no
problem. But a few have problems.

Specifically, I have one user using a Macintosh and running Fetch 3.0.2,
using AOL as an ISP. He can connect with no problem to my SunOS 4.1.4
machine running wu-ftp 2.4 which is on the same network as the Solaris box.
But he's had various problems connecting to the newer software. I'm
inclined to point the finger of blame at him since I have so many other
users with no problems. But it's puzzling that one machine works fine for
him and the other doesn't. Could this be something specific to 2.4.2? On
some occasions he gets an error message "unknown format" when trying to
download a file, but more frequently he's just waiting forever for a
connection which eventually times out. I believe he's tried AOL's built-in
FTP client and it has worked ok, but I guess I'm hoping someone can tell me
why this is a problem.

Any suggestions or even troubleshooting tips would be appreciated.

-Brett

|Brett M. Goldstock                               [email-masked]|
|Senior Technical Analyst/Sys Admin          http://www.tvdata.com|
|TVData                                               800/833-9581|
|                "We tell the world what's on TV."                |