Subject: 553 Could not determine cwdir: No such file or directory.

From: Chris Mooney <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 1998 01:38:37 -0500

HI All,
     I have been trying to install wu-ftpd on an Intel 686 running
Solaris 2.6 for the last two days.  After I finally got a working
version I ran into a new problem.  See I am trying to set up group
access so that the users of that group are limited to their home
directories.  When they log in they will see their home directories as
the root directory.  I got this working and I can go in and mkdir other
directories and have them show up in shell.  But I can not list a
directory or cd a directory.  I get the error ….

150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for /bin/ls.
553 Could not determine cwdir: No such file or directory.
226 Transfer complete.

    I have been trying at this forever.  I thought that is might be the
fact that they can’t see the bin directory and so I followed a readme on
what directories to put in there home …. And still the same thing .  now
maybe that is it.  But I didn’t do it right.  If that is the case … can
anyone tell me how to do it the correct way.  Or if it is something that
any of you have seen and know how to fix please… help me out.  Here is a
little more information on the files that I have for group, passwd and
ftpaccess.  Tell me if you see anything wrong..

/ETC/PASSWD ENTERY FOR TEST:

test:x:105:666::/home/test/./:/usr/local/bin/notashell

/ETC/GROUP ENTERY FOR 666/WEB-MAIL

web-mail::666:

/ETC/FTPACCESS

loginfails 2

class   local   real,guest,anonymous *.domain 0.0.0.0
class   remote  real,guest,anonymous *

limit   local   20  Any                 /etc/msgs/msg.toomany
limit   remote  100 SaSu|Any1800-0600   /etc/msgs/msg.toomany
limit   remote  60  Any                 /etc/msgs/msg.toomany

readme  README*    login
readme  README*    cwd=*

message /welcome.msg            login
message .message                cwd=*

compress        yes             local remote
tar             yes             local remote

# allow use of private file for SITE GROUP and SITE GPASS?
private         yes

# passwd-check  <none|trivial|rfc822>  [<enforce|warn>]
passwd-check    rfc822  warn

log commands real
log transfers anonymous,real inbound,outbound
shutdown /etc/shutmsg

# all the following default to "yes" for everybody
delete          no      guest,anonymous         # delete permission?
overwrite       no      guest,anonymous         # overwrite permission?
rename          no      guest,anonymous         # rename permission?
chmod           no      anonymous               # chmod permission?
umask           no      anonymous               # umask permission?

# specify the upload directory information
upload  /var/ftp  *             no
upload  /var/ftp  /incoming     yes     root    daemon  0600 dirs
upload  /var/ftp  /bin          no
upload  /var/ftp  /etc          no

# directory aliases...  [note, the ":" is not required]
alias   inc:    /incoming

# cdpath
cdpath  /incoming
cdpath  /pub
cdpath  /

# path-filter...
path-filter  anonymous  /etc/pathmsg  ^[-A-Za-z0-9_\.]*$  ^\.  ^-
path-filter  guest      /etc/pathmsg  ^[-A-Za-z0-9_\.]*$  ^\.  ^-

# specify which group of users will be treated as "guests".
guestgroup web-mail

email [email-masked]

Thank You to anyone that has any input….
Chris Mooney

--
 _______ ______  ____   ___ _______ ________ ______
|__   __|   ___||    \ |   |__   __|__    __| _____|
 __| |__|  |_---|   |\     |__| |__   |  |  | ____|
|_______|____   |___| \____|_______|  |__|  |______|
             |__|
            ________ __   __ ______
           |__    __|  |_|  | _____|
              |  |  |   _   | ____|
              |__|  |__| |__|______|         ___
   __    __   _____   ______   ___        __|   |
  \  \/\/  //   _   \|    _  \|   |     /   _   |
   \  /\  /|   (_)   |   |_) /|   |___ |  ( _|  |
    \/  \/  \_______/|___|\___\_______| \ ______|

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 1998 10:09:59 -0500 (EST)

> 553 Could not determine cwdir: No such file or directory.

Check the directory permissions on the parent directories.  You need o+rx
on each directory from '/' to the cwd (user's home in this case).

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195

---

From: Chris Mooney <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 1998 18:11:27 -0500

Thanks for the tip.  But all the directories in the path are set to 755.
Any other suggestions anyone has please…. I could really use some help…
Chris