Subject: ftp client hangs on b18

From: "James B. Byrne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 1998 15:19:12 -0400

I have a situation where the dos-box ftp client that ships with 
win95 (build 4.00.950) hangs at the username prompt, but only 
when a banner is displayed.  Without a banner the login 
sequence works fine.

I visited the Microsoft support web site and found nothing in the 
knowledge base regarding this.  Is there an updated client that 
solves this problem?  Or is this a server problem?

Regards,
Jim
---
James B. Byrne                Harte & Lyne Limited
vox: +1 905 561 1241          9 Brockley Drive
fax: +1 905 561 0757          Hamilton, Ontario
mailto:[email-masked]  Canada L8E 3C3

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 1998 14:38:09 -0500 (CDT)

whoah, I haven't heard of this one for years.  It is a very old ftp
client problem, and the fix is to put a dash in front of the password
to tell it not to play the banner.  From the ftpd.c source:

/* Disable lreply() if the first character of the password is '-' since
 * some hosts don't understand continuation messages and hang... */

   -- Michael

---

From: "James B. Byrne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 1998 16:36:46 -0400

On 6 Oct 98, at 14:38, Michael Brennen wrote:

> client problem, and the fix is to put a dash in front of the password to
> tell it not to play the banner.  From the ftpd.c source:
> 

No, not quite.  The problem is that the client hangs after the 
user name is input but before the password prompt.  The user 
never gets the chance to put a '-' in front of his password.

The banner is displayed after the connection and before the 
login process.  There is no login text file associated with this 
particular user id.

Regards,
Jim

---