Subject: How to get 'dir' to work with guest access

From: "Paul F. Williams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 10:46:07 -0600 (CST)

I have installed wu-ftpd.2.4.2.beta18 and set up the
ftpaccess controli, we have AIX 4.2.

I added a group called guests, put a line in ftpaccess referring
to this group, modified the users login to point to /some/dir/username/./
in /etc/passwd.
I have deactivated the users login (via AIX's smitty program) so they
cannot telnet or rlogin.

Every thing works like I would expect, the user can't cd out of the
directory, so chroot seems to work, except for
one small item.
After I ftp to the computer and login as the guest user, the command
  ls
works just fine.  
However, if I enter
   dir
it does not produce any directory listing. 
Is this the way it is supposed to work?  
Without a long listing it is difficult for users to see the differenc
between directories and files.

By the way, there are some inaccuracies in the documentation for setting
up wu-ftpd.2.4.2.beta18

1.  One is not directed in the docs to modify the src/pathnames.h file
    to what you want.  The default is less than desireable.  

2.  For guest accounts the directions say to put something like
    ftponly, or /bin/false as in the /etc/shells file (this doesn't
    work under AIX unless I am missing something)   Just lock out telnet
    using smitty.  Also, in some of the docs (external to the distn) it
    seems to imply that one needs /bin and /etc in the directories of the
    guest accounts, hoever that did not seem to be the case.

3.  It was difficult for me to understand the build command, also that once
    a Makefile is created it is not overwritten.  

4.  Tied into 3. above,  the user shold be directed to modify the Makefile
    where it will install the programs and man pages.

5.  The documentation warns that you need to be careful or the configuration
    files will be over written, (it didn't mention what configuration files
    one should look for).  However, it didn't install any of the configuration
    files so that didn't seem to be a problem.

6.  We were upgrading an older version of wu-ftpd (2.4) (installed by someone
    who was no longer here).  It was not obvious that the locations of the 
    configuration files were compiled into the program.  I didn't realize this
    until I wasn't getting things to work properly.

The writeup in the OReilly book

  Managing Internet Info Services

clarified much.

paulw

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Paul F. Williams, UW-Extension, 432 N. Lake St.,  Madison, WI 53706
[email-masked], 608-262-6011

"If you took all the economists in this country and laid them end
to end, they'd point in every direction." - Will Rogers
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 12:27:41 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 29 Oct 1998, Paul F. Williams wrote:

> directory, so chroot seems to work, except for one small item. After I
> ftp to the computer and login as the guest user, the command ls works
> just fine.  However, if I enter dir it does not produce any directory
> listing.  Is this the way it is supposed to work?  Without a long
> listing it is difficult for users to see the differenc between
> directories and files.

This is covered in the FAQ.

> By the way, there are some inaccuracies in the documentation for
> setting up wu-ftpd.2.4.2.beta18

Typos are so easy to make and wording is so difficult to make clear. Take,
for instance, your mis-use of the word 'some' where what is obviously the
correct term is 'countless'.  If you look at the 2.4 package, you'll see
most of the documentation is virtually unchanged.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195

---

From: Wayne Folta <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 13:31:29 -0500

I compiled BeroFTPD on a SunOS 4.1.3 box and it crashes (signal 11) doing 
things like 'ls'. I had a similar problem with wu-ftpd, that seemed to get 
better when I specified -A and -d. Any ideas?

(I compiled gcc 2.5.8 (?) for this job, and there may be a problem there, 
too. But I didn't use gcc for the wu-ftpd that I tried a good while back.)

Thanks!

   Wayne Folta
   [email-masked]