Subject: aliases in /etc/ftpaccess

From: Alex <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 03 Oct 1998 15:02:54 -0500

A little background:  I'm running wu-2.4.2-academ[beta-15] on a Red Hat
Linux 5 machine.  Forgive me if I'm a little slow, I've only really been
using Unix/Linux for a couple months.

What I'm trying to do is set up an alias for the directory
"/usr/local/games/quake2/baseq2/players/male" to the "/pub/male"
directory (really /home/ftp/pub/male)  I.E., so anonymous FTP users can
write to "/usr/local/games/quake2/baseq2/players/male".  I've tried
using a symbolic link under "/pub" (really /home/ftp/pub), but that
didn't seem to work.  Here's my ftpaccess file:

class   all   real,guest,anonymous  *
email root@localhost
loginfails 5
readme  README*    login
readme  README*    cwd=*
message /welcome.msg            login
message .message                cwd=*
compress        yes             all
tar             yes             all
chmod  no  guest,anonymous
delete  no  guest,anonymous
overwrite no  guest,anonymous
rename  no  guest,anonymous

alias male: /usr/local/games/quake2/baseq2/players/male

cdpath /pub
cdpath /
log transfers anonymous,real inbound,outbound
shutdown /etc/shutmsg
passwd-check rfc822 warn

I assume that it isn't working because there is no
"/usr/local/games/quake2/baseq2/players/male" under the chrooted
environment for ftp users.  How do I get wu-ftpd to alias a directory
under the normal directory tree to the directory tree for ftp users?

/me hopes he made some sense...

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 Oct 1998 17:12:01 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 3 Oct 1998, Alex wrote:

> directory (really /home/ftp/pub/male)  I.E., so anonymous FTP users
> can write to "/usr/local/games/quake2/baseq2/players/male".  I've
> tried using a symbolic link under "/pub" (really /home/ftp/pub), but
> that didn't seem to work.  Here's my ftpaccess file:

> under the normal directory tree to the directory tree for ftp users?

I'd move /usr/local/games/quake2 to /home/quake2, symlink the old location
to the new one, and then you can hardlink the players files (if
hardlinking the dirs doesn't work) into the public ftp area.  Symlinking
won't work because the quake2 is in a different dir structure than the
chroot'd /home/ftp and hardlinking won't work until they're on the same
filesystem.

Another option would be to loopback mount the players dir into the ftp
area.  That'd allow read/write through the /usr/local/games mount point
and read-only through ftp, which would probably be a good idea.  How this
works depends upon the system you're running.  On Linux check man losetup.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195