Subject: Re: Antwort: [VR9] More enhancements and bug fixes for beta-18

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 10:51:55 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 15 Oct 1998 [email-masked] wrote:

> *I have tested the binary version
> wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-18-vr9-SunOS-5.6.tar.gz and it works fine.

Good.  The person who built it will be glad to here that, too.

> *Can you tell me how I can install the patches like
> "wu-ftpd-2_4_2-beta-18-vr3 -vr8" on Solaris?

All previous VR patch sets are included in the pre-built binaries and the
pre-patched tarballs.  The patches are also available as separate files so
others can see what, exactly, has changed or roll them into a personal
version of the daemon.

> *Why is my compiled version so much bigger then yours?
> 
> -r-xr-xr-x   1 bin      bin       148016 Oct 15 16:06 ftpd
> -r-xr-xr-x   1 bin      bin       380312 Oct 14 12:27 ftpd.beta18.aktuell

Looks like yours are either statically-linked (no shared libraries), or
have debugging information (try the strip command to remove it).  An early
VR change was to remove the -static option from several system builds (I
believe it was accidentially enabled).

I get the opposite question about Linux .. my pre-built binaries are
generally larger because I link statically for the binary releases.

There are good points and bad points to both means of linking.  Static
eliminates the question of library compatability.  Dynamic is smaller and
can react more quickly to security fixes and updates in the libraries.  I
run dynamic linked here, but I build static linked for public release so I
don't have to worry about "It won't work with this version of that
library" complaints.  I leave that choice to each of the binary builders;
they know the target platforms far better than I.

> *Where/what  do I have to insert to get the following lines (ftpcmd.c ??)
> 
> ftp> quit
> 221-You have transferred 0 bytes in 0 files.
> 221-Total traffic for this session was 12580 bytes in 4 transfers.
> 221-Thank you for using the FTP service on sun.bayer.com.
> 221 Goodbye.

This extended 221 response is a VR extension and enabled by default.

To turn it off for a single sessions, enter your password with a dash (-) 
before your password.

To turn it off always, change config.h to #undef TRANSFER_COUNT and
rebuild the daemon.

> If this is not the right way to get the information; sorry put it in
> the trash can. I will then write to [email-masked].

Personal email is fine.  I'm cc'ing the list because I typically get asked
your first question about the patches 2 to 3 times a week and you're not
the first to ask your other questions.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195