Subject: After login, When I type " ls -l " , it only list owner ,group in numbers.

From: Henry Leung <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 11:31:23 +0800

Hi:

I have just install wu-ftp on solaris 2.6, and configuree it for anonymous. I can do file transfer,but "ls -l" command only list owner and group in numbers. I have passwd , group , nsswitch.conf in ~ftp/etc. What 's wrong with it.

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 07:32:35 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 28 Oct 1998, Henry Leung wrote:

> I have just install wu-ftp on solaris 2.6, and configuree it for
> anonymous. I can do file transfer,but "ls -l" command only list owner
> and group in numbers. I have passwd , group , nsswitch.conf in
> ~ftp/etc. What 's wrong with it.

Check the permissions.  The files need to be world-readable and the
~ftp/etc directory needs to be world-executable.  Both must actually exist
and cannot be symlinks to the real files.

The ~ftp/etc/passwd and ~ftp/etc/group files need to include the IDs you
want mapped to usernames.  They do not need, and should not include, any
other information.

The location of the latest version of wu-ftpd can be found in the 
directory
 
      ftp://ftp.academ.com/pub/wu-ftpd/private/
 
You can't see the directory contents, so read the message informing you
of the actual filename to retrieve. It's there.
 
wu-ftpd Resource Center:  http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/
wu-ftpd FAQ:              http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html
wu-ftpd list archive:     http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/mail-archive/

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195