Subject: Re[2]: Guest Account

From: "Shon Nixon"<[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 98 13:44:23 -0500

I guess I am missing something here. I tried the below suggestion - /upload/*.
Still no ability to upload in the users home directory. Can't even upload to the
standard ftp/upload directory. I changed the group to ftp_users but kept the
root user just until I get it to work. Maybe I don't understand the directory
structuring of the system. Here is how it looks on my system:

/home
/home/ftp
/home/ftp/upload
/home/ftp/lib (etc...)
/home/lurgi
/home/lurgi/upload
/home/lurgi/lib (etc...)
/home/samba
/home/http
etc...

Am I doing something wrong with the dir structure? My understanding is that I
can create a separate home directory for each user and set it up as a "guest"
account and it will act the same as ftping into the standard ftp site as
anonymous except that it will be in the users personal home directory. Is that
correct? Thanks for your help, it is greatly appreciated. Anything else I can do
or try?

Shon

____________________Reply Separator____________________
Subject:    Re: Guest Account 
Author: <[email-masked] >
Date:       10/7/98 11:52 AM

On Wed, 7 Oct 1998, Shon Nixon wrote:

> I can see everything in the directory - files and other directories,
> but can not transfer anything to it or out of it.

  # Don't allow uploads anywhere at all for anonymous ftp ...
> upload /home/ftp *  no

  # Except allow upload if the file is named _exactly_ '/upload'
> upload /home/ftp /upload yes root daemon 0600 dirs

Change this to read:
  upload /home/ftp /upload/* yes root daemon 0600 nodirs

1) You don't want to allow uploading '/uploadhereforwarez'

2) You want to allow uploading only inside the directory '/upload/'

3) You don't want to allow directories inside there since they won't
   be usable anyway.

4) PAY ATTENTION HERE: Do you really want the uploaded file to be owned by
   'root'?  I'd suggest creating an ftpadmin user and group and having it
   own the uploaded files.

  # The following lines have no effect since they were included in the
  # first, global, denial for upload privileges.
> upload /home/ftp /bin   no
> upload /home/ftp /etc   no
> upload /home/ftp /lib   no

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg                Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195

---

From: "Shon Nixon"<[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 98 10:39:44 -0500

Gregory,

I have downloaded the binaries of wu-ftpd for intel linux from your site. I
tried to compile from scratch (wu-ftpd 2.4.2 beta 18 vr8), but kept getting
errors and it would not compile ftpd or ftpcount. So now I have your
pre-compiled binaries (2.4.2-beta 18 vr8). I do have beta 17 that came installed
with RH 5.1. Only problem now is that I have two ftpd binaries. The file
inetd.conf calls for /usr/sbin/tcpd in.ftpd -l -a -o. I did find in.ftpd in the
/usr/sbin directory.  There is another binary in /etc/logrotate.d/ called ftpd.
I am confused here. Which do I upgrade or replace? Or do I just rename your ftpd
to in.ftpd? Your help is greatly appreciated.

Shon

____________________Reply Separator____________________
Subject:    Re: Re[2]: Guest Account  
Author: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]> 
Date:       10/7/98 1:45 PM

On Wed, 7 Oct 1998, Shon Nixon wrote:

> Am I doing something wrong with the dir structure? My understanding is
> that I can create a seperate home directory for each user and set it
> up as a "guest" account and it will act the same as ftping into the
> standard ftp site as anonymous except that it will be in the users
> personal home directory. Is that correct? Thanks for your help, it is
> greatly appreciated. Anything else I can do or try?

first, make sure you're installing the current version, beta-18.  ISTR
there were problems with earlier versions .. at least, I complained a lot
about them to Stan (to no avail).  I _think_ things bagan to work better
in beta-18.

If you're using beta-16 (which I think is what came on RH 5.x CDs), try
the following instead:

upload / /upload* yes root daemon 600 nodirs

As for your directory layout questions, I have a sample FTP site you can
check out at

  ftp://ftp.vr.net/pub/wu-ftpd/examples/

there are also pre-compiled binaries in the public w-ftpd area for most
things linux for a ftp site.

--