Subject: cannot connect to FTP server

From: webmaster <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 16:58:41 -0500

Hi all,

I'm new to this list and kinda new to unix, I'm using linux RH5.0.

I'm experiencing some problems running wu-ftpd. I installed it out of the
box from Red Hat and it was working fine. Then I messed with some conf files
and also did a ftpshut.

After this when I try to connect I get the following

Connected to "myserver"
500 "myserver" FTP server shut down -- please try again later

I uninstalled and reinstalled wu-ftpd and anonftp but only with the same
results. The conf files look alright, just the default configuration.

I read something about manually removing the ftpshut file after you do a
ftpshut, but I can't find any other ftpshut files besides the executable.

Imust be overlooking something rather simple,

Please give me a hand,

Thanks,

[email-masked]

---

From: Bob Luckin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 98 16:22:37 CST

> ftpshut, but I can't find any other ftpshut files besides the executable.

Are you using an ftpaccess file ?  The location of the "ftpshut" file is
usually specified in the ftpaccess file, via the following line :-

shutdown /path/to/shutfile

You'll need to delete /path/to/shutfile in order to get the server working
again...

I hope this helps !

Cheers, Bob
-- 
Bob Luckin      [email-masked]      "Coder adapt.  FTP Ada, redo C"
                                 [http://www.dhc.net/~luckin/palindromes.html]

---

From: Dave Wreski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 17:30:58 -0500 (EST)

> box from Red Hat and it was working fine. Then I messed with some conf files

You need to unshut it ;)

Remove /etc/shutmsg and try again.

> results. The conf files look alright, just the default configuration.

Be sure to read all the documentation, including the man pages.  An
incorrectly configured FTP server can be a serious security risk!

Dave