Subject: Guest user can create directory but not transfer files

From: Anne Sauvage <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 17:21:59 +0100

Hello,
I am using wu-ftp-2.4.2-beta18. 
I have created a guest user named ftpmap in the group ftpgroup.
ftpmap:x:30003:11:ftp serveur
gamsau:/usr/people/ftpwu/./incoming:/bin/ftponly

/usr/people/ftpwu
# ls -al
total 16
drwxr-xr-x   8 root     sys          512 Oct 26 19:22 .
drwxr-xr-x  30 root     root        1024 Oct 22 21:09 ..
d--x--x--x   2 root     other        512 Oct 24 12:18 bin
d--x--x--x   2 root     other        512 Mar 26  1996 dev
d--x--x--x   2 root     other        512 Oct 31  1995 etc
drwxrwxr-x   4 ftpmap   ftpgroup     512 Oct 30 17:14 incoming
drwxr-xr-x   7 root     other        512 Sep 29 12:46 pub
d--x--x--x   5 root     other        512 Mar 27  1996 usr

The ftpaccess file includes the line guestgroup ftpgroup.
upload  /usr/people/ftpwu  /incoming     yes     ftpmap    ftpgroup 
0775 dirs

The user ftpmap can :
	* transfer a file in incoming
	* create a directory test under incoming
	drwxrwxr-x   3 ftpmap   ftpgroup     512 Oct 30 17:22 .
	drwxr-xr-x   8 root     sys          512 Oct 26 19:22 ..
	drwxr-xr-x   2 ftpmap   ftpgroup     512 Oct 30 17:22 test
	* change directory to test
	* CAN NOT transfer a file to test : error Permission denied (upload)
What is wrong? Thanks.

-- 

                 Anne Sauvage
                 GAMSAU - MAP
        Ecole d'Architecture de Marseille
 184 av de Luminy - 13288 Marseille Cedex 09
tel : 04 91 82 71 62/70 - fax : 04 91 82 71 71

---

From: Bernhard Rosenkraenzer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 20:18:35 +0100 (CET)

> 	* CAN NOT transfer a file to test : error Permission denied (upload)

test is a subdirectory - either use a second upload line for
/incoming/test, or use a construction like
upload /usr/people/ftpwu /incoming/* yes ftpmap ftpgroup 0775 dirs

Not a good idea to do any of this, by the way - if everyone can read the
uploaded files, you'll soon have a bunch of "warez" in there.

LLaP
bero