Subject: network address based access control

From: Seva <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 16:41:14 -0500 (CDT)

Is there any way to limit access based on network address

For example I want to allow everyone from 128.248.*.* to have access to a
directory as anonymous but everyone else deny.

/Seva

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 21:42:00 -0400 (EDT)

> Is there any way to limit access based on network address

Define a class to limit access to the server.

> For example I want to allow everyone from 128.248.*.* to have access
> to a directory as anonymous but everyone else deny.

use autogroup for members of the class and make the directory group-only
readable.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195

---

From: Seva <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 21:30:26 -0500 (CDT)

> use autogroup for members of the class and make the directory group-only

Gregory,

Thanks, this was fairly easy once I knew to what I need to look at
(autogroup).

I added this to /etc/ftpaccess:

["
class   uic  anonymous *.uic.edu
class   an   anonymous *

autogroup    foo uic
"]

"class   an   anonymous *" was there before, but my addition had to be
before it in order to work.  Once I did that I created a group foo and made
the dir 770.  Thanks again.

/Simon