Subject: Problem with ls -l on Solaris

From: Martin Arlt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 20:43:57 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi,

I compiled and installed WU-FTP 2.4.2-academ[BETA-18] on a
SUN under Solaris 2.6. I configured it also for anonym. user,
but I can't get ls to work.

I setup the server like in a description in the WU-FTP WEB-page
(with ~ftp/bin; ~ftp/dev; ~ftp/usr/lib; etc.). But ls (or any
other dynam. program) doesn't work - yes, I copied all the
libs and setup all the other stuff.

I tried to run truss with the chroot command:

sh# truss chroot /var/ftp /bin/ls
...
chroot("/var/ftp")                              = 0
chdir("/")                                      = 0
execve("/bin/ls", 0xEFFFFC8C, 0xEFFFFC94)  argc = 1
open("/dev/zero", O_RDONLY)                     Err#6 ENXIO
open("/dev/zero", O_RDONLY)                     Err#6 ENXIO
ld.so.1: internal: malloc failedwrite(2, " l d . s o . 1 :   i n t".., 32)      = 32
getpid()                                        = 24744 [24743]
        *** process killed ***
...

it seems, ls can't open the zero device, which I created with the same
device numbers like the zero device under /devices/pseudo/...
Err#6 ENXIO means: No such device or address

Does anybody have an idea what I have to do, that the program can open
the device? The permission on the device are 00666 and the device is
a "c" device chreate with "mknod zero c <maj> <min>" .

Thanks for any help and suggestions.

Martin Arlt