Subject: Security: root ownership

From: Michael Will <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 1998 14:29:29 -0400

I have a perplexing situation...

I have set up the required directories (/etc /bin /dev /usr )... along with 
the .foward and .rhosts files.

My question is what is the group supposed to be?  Reason is that I have set 
them up as root owned and only readable by root, but the owner is able to 
remove them fine form the FTP client.  I belive I have the group set right 
for the required files and directories, but the user can still delete 
them...

drwxr-xr-x   6 will   ftpuser        512 Sep 18 13:27 .
drwxr-xr-x  36 will     will        1024 Oct  2 13:33 ..
-r--------   1 root     root           0 Sep 18 12:34 .forward
-r--------   1 root     root           0 Sep 18 12:33 .rhosts
d--x--x--x   2 root     other        512 Sep 17 07:06 bin
drwxr-xr-x   2 root     other        512 Sep 18 11:16 dev
d--x--x--x   2 root     other        512 Sep 18 12:33 etc
dr-xr-xr-x   3 root     other        512 Sep 17 07:21 usr
-r--r--r--   1 root     other       1856 Sep 18 13:27 welcome.msg

What am I missing here?

Michael

--
Michael Will                    |   Voice: (202) 767-9196 Ext. 226
Naval Research Lab Code 8140    |   Fax:   (202) 404-8918
4555 Overlook Ave. SW           |   E-mail: [email-masked]
Washington, DC 20375		|   Skypage: 1-800-SKY-PAGE #1528803

Key fingerprint =  B5BC B3BB 8995 D642 309F  9A12 9C4F D4A2 9774 DD13

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 1998 14:50:52 -0400 (EDT)

> I have a perplexing situation...

Not really.

should be

drwxr-xr-t   6 will   ftpuser        512 Sep 18 13:27 .

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195