Subject: wu-ftp on aix

From: Claus Larsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 16:15:02 +0100

Hey guys

I've downloaded the wu-ftpd-2.4.2.1500.exe file, unpacked it, and
installed it using smit.
Work fine. Then I've tried setting it up for test like in the faq:

Added to ports to /etc/services:

              ftptest         8521/tcp        #command port
              ftptest-data    8520/tcp        #data port

And then added the following line to /etc/inetd.conf :

              ftptest stream tcp nowait root /usr/local/ftpd my.ftpd

Then I restarted the deamon using:

                refresh -s inetd

But...when I do a ps -ef | grep ftp ...nothing, no ftpd running...no
nothing :-(

Anyone got any ideas? I'm a novice installing unix software,
so...anyone?

Thanks in advance
Claus Larsen

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 10:31:53 -0400 (EDT)

> But...when I do a ps -ef | grep ftp ...nothing, no ftpd running...no

Using inetd, as you are, the daemon will not be running unless someone has
actually connected to it.  netstat will show inetd is listening on the
ftptest port for new connections.  start an ftp session and check ps
again.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195