Subject: Limit guest users by login, not IP address?

From: Jesse Jensen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 1998 11:18:46 -0600

Is there any way (setting or patch) to limit the number of guest users
depending on their login?  I guess that would mean defining classes that
aren't based on IP addresses.

So if I had these users:

erik - my brother
adam - my cousin
pal - a bunch of my friends know this login
chum - a bunch of my coworkers know this login

And these groups:

family:erik,adam
friends:pal
coworkers:chum

And this in my ftpaccess file:

guestgroup family
guestgroup friends
guestgroup coworkers

I want to limit it to 5 friends AND 5 coworkers AND 5 family members. 
So, if there are 5 pals on, erik could get on, then 5 chums could get
on, and then adam could get on, for a total of 12 users.  Then, if 2
friends logged off, no coworkers could get on, but i would have room for
2 more friends and 3 family members.

I don't want to have any real users except me (my brother might try
messing with my computer to get me back for all those wedgies), I don't
want to open myself up to anonymous users, and anyone could be coming
from different domains.

I scoured the available info and came up with nothing.  I'd like it if
this was just a simple class setting, but then I'd feel stupid.

I'm running the latest version (by the way, the [:space:] path-filter
thing doesn't work) on Debian Linux 1.3.

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 1998 14:32:37 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 25 Oct 1998, Jesse Jensen wrote:

> depending on their login?  I guess that would mean defining classes
> that aren't based on IP addresses.
> 
> So if I had these users:
> 
> erik - my brother
> adam - my cousin
> friends logged off, no coworkers could get on, but i would have room
> for 2 more friends and 3 family members.
> 
> messing with my computer to get me back for all those wedgies), I
> don't want to open myself up to anonymous users, and anyone could be
> coming from different domains.
> 

There is no way to do what you're looking for, right now.  It's a feature
I've been looking at, but no promises unless someone else has a patch
they'd like to submit.

> thing doesn't work) on Debian Linux 1.3.

It needs the GNU regular expression library, which debian should provide.
If you don't have that, the prebuilt binary on my ftp site should work
fine for you.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195