Subject: on the fly tar+gzip compression problems

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 1998 14:42:43 +0300

Hi!

Please, help me!

I'm running the wu-ftpd version 2.4.2-Beta-18-VR8 in Solaris-2.5.1 .
I can't use on the fly tar and compression because
it doesn't work. I can use tar or gzip or compress, but not together.
What is the wrong? Could anybody help me?

Sincerely,
Alexander Velichko

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 1998 08:13:48 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 5 Oct 1998 [email-masked] wrote:

> I'm running the wu-ftpd version 2.4.2-Beta-18-VR8 in Solaris-2.5.1 . I
> can't use on the fly tar and compression because it doesn't work. I
> can use tar or gzip or compress, but not together. What is the wrong?
> Could anybody help me?

I believe there's a program named 'pipe' you need to have installed with
the tar and compress executables.  Also, I think there's a special
ftpconversions in doc/examples for Solaris.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195

---

From: "Auteria Wally Winzer Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 1998 11:43:40 -0700

If you download the WU-FTPD Solaris Package for 2.5.1 you'll have
everything necessary to configure your FTP Server correctly for Solaris.
The pipe program is included with the package as well as the correct
ftpconversions file.

- Wally Winzer Jr.

---

From: Bob Luckin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 98 18:09:14 CDT

I believe you can also use GNU tar with the -z option, which calls gzip
transparently.  I could be wrong, but in this case I think you may not
need pipe.  No doubt someone will correct me if pipe is still needed for
this...

> > ftpconversions in doc/examples for Solaris.

Cheers, Bob
-- 
Bob Luckin    [email-masked]    "All sigged out"