Subject: Messages

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 16:47:35 -0700

Since it's dumb question day, I can join in.  I keep getting this in my
message logs:

Oct 13 22:57:46 ftp02 ftpd[9378]: syslog: fopen on /dev/null failed, errno 2

Had a couple suggestions from people but so far nothing has worked.  This
error started after upgrading to wu-ftp.  Makes huge log files...

thx,
judy

---

From: Ted Keller <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 20:44:42 -0400 (EDT)

Possibly, you don't have the /dev/null defined in your chroot area.  This
may be operating system dependent.  You may want to verify what devices
your syslog routines require.

ted keller - bfg.com

---

From: Jon Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 02:58:46 -0400 (EDT)

> error started after upgrading to wu-ftp.  Makes huge log files...

You people need to give more info...like OS, OS version, wu-ftpd version,
a little about the config, etc.

Since there's not much info, my wild guesses would be something's wrong
with /dev/null (what are the perms?) or this came from a chrooted ftpd and
there is no /home/ftp/dev/null (or wherever ftpd chrooted to).

------------------------------------------------------------------
 Jon Lewis <[email-masked]>  |  Spammers will be winnuked or 
 Network Administrator       |  drawn and quartered...whichever
 Florida Digital Turnpike    |  is more convenient.
______http://inorganic5.fdt.net/~jlewis/pgp for PGP public key____