Subject: automatic untar and unzip

From: Sigi <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 14:51:12 +0100

Hello

i'm neu on this list.
a looking in the faq and docs didn't give me an answer.
maybe i looked over me theme.
for two questions i need help.

(1) is it possible to have users that automatic untar or unzip
uploaded files?
i saw the ftpconversions file, but not how user work with that. is it
possible with users that have only an ftp account (/bin/false)? i
have put "unzip" and "tar" in the "~ftp/bin/" directory, but nothing
happens. if possible, how should i configure that right?

(2) is it possible to link the "~ftp/bin/" directory to all user
directories? i have no anonymous. all users have owned directories,
set up in "passwd" (..././). i tested an "ln -s /globalbin /userbin",
but this doesn't work. if possible, how do i set up right?

sorry for my bad english.

Sigi.

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 09:24:24 -0400 (EDT)

> (1) is it possible to have users that automatic untar or unzip

No.

> i saw the ftpconversions file, but not how user work with that.

ftpconversions apply when the user GETs a file.  If the files doesn't
exist, but an ftpconversion can be applied to create the file on-the-fly,
that conversion is used.

> is it possible with users that have only an ftp account (/bin/false)?

Yes.  /bin/false needs to be declared a vlid shell by adding it to
/etc/shells.

> directories?

Hard links, if your system supports them and the users are on the same
physical filesystem as the anonymous area.  Otherwise, loopbck mounts can
achieve the desired results with a bit more added security.

> i have no anonymous. all users have owned directories, set up in
> "passwd" (..././). i tested an "ln -s /globalbin /userbin", but this
> doesn't work. if possible, how do i set up right?

Read the FAQ.  The instructions are there.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195

---

From: Sigi <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 15:45:59 +0100

>On Mon, 21 Sep 1998, Sigi wrote:

thanks for your quick answer.

>exist, but an ftpconversion can be applied to create the file

hmmm, there is no equivalent for PUT ?

if not, can i put an file with one byte in the user directory wich is
named "untar.job" and have an work in the ftpconversions when the
user downloads this file the untar job is startet on all "*.tar"
files?

do you have an example of this? i don't know what to do with the 3
last fields in ftpconversions?

Thanks
Sigi.

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 09:55:28 -0400 (EDT)

> hmmm, there is no equivalent for PUT ?

That would require ESP.  The daemon has no way of quessing what the user
wanted.

> user downloads this file the untar job is startet on all "*.tar"

Run a cron job to scan for files you want processed.

--