Subject: Login fails for guest user ids

From: "Srinivasan, Ranganathan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 13:17:27 -0400

When I try to ftp as anonymous I dont have problems and also when I login as
an actual user. But when I login as a user from the guest users I get the
following error message. The authentication is going on fine. After that ftp
login fails unable to set guest privileges. Can anyone help me out in
solving this problem? 

220 ftp1bh FTP server (Version wu-2.4(2) Thu Aug 7 19:08:38 EDT 1997) ready.
Name (localhost:root): loguser
331 Password required for loguser.
Password:
550 Can't set guest privileges.
Login failed.
ftp> 

Tahnks in advance.

Ranganathan Srinivasan
Ross Roy Communications Inc.
Unix Support
(248)433-6642

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 13:32:13 -0400 (EDT)

> 220 ftp1bh FTP server (Version wu-2.4(2) Thu Aug 7 19:08:38 EDT 1997) ready.

you're using an ANCIENT version of wu-ftpd and should upgrade immedeately
to wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-18

2.4 has numerous bugs and security holes and should not be used unless you
don't care a whit about security of your system or you'r system is not
connected to ANY network (even a corporate LAN).

> 550 Can't set guest privileges.

In beta-18 this means there's something wrong with the passwd file's home
directory entry for the user.  look for a typo.

The location of the latest version of wu-ftpd can be found in the 
directory
 
      ftp://ftp.academ.com/pub/wu-ftpd/private/
 
You can't see the directory contents, so read the message informing you
of the actual filename to retrieve. It's there.
 
wu-ftpd Resource Center:  http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/
wu-ftpd FAQ:              http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html
wu-ftpd list archive:     http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/mail-archive/
-- 

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195