Subject: RE: Trigger of an executable upon file send complete

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 08:52:57 +0900

Greg,

>>I see no point in running a program after a file has been downloaded from
the server.  Make a case for it, I'm >>listening

ok, here goes....

Assume different applications on different platforms and servers. We have
jobs that extract data from a multitude of databases into flat files and
ftp them into other servers for their use. A lot of this ftp'g has been
around and implemented into production for a long, long time. Cron jobs and
polling mechanisms are currently in place to detect the files b4 uploading
into another database for processing etc. I'd like to migrate the cron and
polling jobs to an event-triggered mechanism (ie. triggered from the FTP
server).

If only binary type executables are allowed to be triggered, I can live
with that. Shell scripts are very flexible but I can understand and agree
with your concerns on security which should take priority.

thks again

Victor Tan

---

From: Bob Luckin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 98 20:44:51 CDT

Gregory said:-
> the server.  Make a case for it, I'm >>listening

Victor replied :-
> with your concerns on security which should take priority.

But from what you say above, you're still only talking about triggering
executables on the server after uploading to it (and maybe running them on the
local machine after you've downloaded from the server, although that is
outside the issue).  Gregory was asking about the need to run an executable
on the server after you have pulled a file _from_ it.

Do you really have some processes where you want to connect to an
FTP server, _pull_ the file from the server to your local node, and then
execute a binary on the server from which you just pulled the file ?

(I'm not suggesting that this shouldn't be the case - I just want to make
sure that you understood what Gregory was asking, since your reply leads
me to suspect that you may not have.)

Cheers, Bob
-- 
Bob Luckin      [email-masked]      "Coder, adapt.  FTP Ada, redo C"
                                 [http://www.dhc.net/~lickin/paliindromes.html]