Subject: RE: authentication problems on wu-2.4.2 [BETA-18]

From: Amanda Dahl/mail+schedule <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 14:27:06 -0700

Hello,
Well, thank you to Pat and Gregory for your help, I've managed to get
logging going and have found that my attempt at logging in produces the
following error in the logs:

Sep 25 14:33:45 nitrogen ftpd[333]: FTP LOGIN REFUSED (bad shell or username
in
/etc/ftpusers) FROM localhost [127.0.0.1], adahl  

Perhaps you can tell me what this means. FYI--The shell in /etc/passwd is
/bin/sh (a valid shell) which is listed in /etc/shells. And the username
adahl is not listed in /etc/ftpusers.
Any ideas?

thanks!
amanda

-----Original Message-----
From: Gregory A Lundberg [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, September 25, 1998 12:51 PM
To: Amanda Dahl/mail+schedule
Subject: RE: authentication problems on wu-2.4.2 [BETA-18]

On Fri, 25 Sep 1998, Amanda Dahl/mail+schedule wrote:

> Would you, or anyone else, happen to have a sample of the line in the
> /etc/syslog.conf to setup logging from wu-ftpd?

I use:

authpriv.*                                              /var/log/secure
mail.*                                                  /var/log/maillog
*.*;mail.none;authpriv.none                             /var/log/syslog

The daemon logs as 'daemon' so

daemon.* /var/log/daemons

should put it (and any other 'daemon' facility messages) in
/var/log/daemons

> I added the ftp user in /etc/passwd and now it at least gets to the
> "guest login ok" prompt and allows me to input my email address before
> it kicks me out.

Any reason shown for this?

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 23:03:56 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 25 Sep 1998, Amanda Dahl/mail+schedule wrote:

> in /etc/ftpusers) FROM localhost [127.0.0.1], adahl  
> 

Look for typos in /etc/passwd, /etc/shells or /etc/ftpusers.  I've seen
people use the wrong editor and have CR/LF mess things up so look for
non-printing and control codes in the files as well.  /etc/shells should
list one shell per line and nothing else.  Each line of all three files
should end with a LF ('\n') including the last line of the file.  Given
it's unlikely you miss-read /etc/ftpusers, I'd look first for a problem in
the format of /etc/shells.

--