Subject: Beta 18, Signal 11, BSDI

From: TTSG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 1998 10:30:03 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

	Wondering if anyone else is having the following problem on
Beta 18, BSDI 3.1.

	If you put in a bad username and password, it doesn't give the
"Login incorrect" message, but signal 11's and exits.  I've got another
system on Beta 16 and it doesn't do that.

		Thanks, Tuc/TTSG

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 1998 11:49:19 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 2 Sep 1998, TTSG wrote:

> If you put in a bad username and password, it doesn't give the "Login
> incorrect" message, but signal 11's and exits.  I've got another system
> on Beta 16 and it doesn't do that. 

I got this last night mucking about inside the ftpcmd.y for USER and PASS
and working on ftpd.c user() and pass() functions.  the only way I've been
able to cause it is to inject (then fix) a bug myself.  I've never had it
do this with clean sources.

----

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195

---

From: TTSG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 1998 12:15:33 -0400 (EDT)

> do this with clean sources.
	It seems to be doing it on 2 different, but equally set up systems.
(Same MB, memory, OS, patches, etc)

			Tuc/TTSG

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 1998 12:46:54 -0400 (EDT)

> (Same MB, memory, OS, patches, etc)

My VR6 patches change a lot of the way bad user names and passwords are
handled.  If you try them and get the same problem, send me a stack trace
and I'll see what I can do.

signal 11 usually occurs, for me anyway, by overrunning a buffer on the
stack and wiping out a pointer causing a segmentation violation.  When I
was playing with it last night, it was caused by attempting to use an
un-initialized pointer (actually, a NULL pointer, I think).

----