Subject: virtual hosts/authentication/other ftp servers

From: Andreas Zierott <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 16:10:21 +0200

Hi!

I've problems in setting up the virtual hosts mechanism of wuftp on IRIX

6.x. When I set the parameters (root, banner, logfile) as described in
the documentation I can see in syslog that a virtual connection was
established and I get the correct banner, too. But after login I'm not
in the right (virtual) directory but in the directory of the "real" ftp
server. Is there something special about the root parameter? I've tried
that with beta16, beta18 and newvirt-50. Maybe I am mistaken, maybe it's

an IRIX problem.

Another question: Is it possible to configure a virtual server to use a
separate password file or even an alternate authentication method? I've
tried ncFTPd, too. With this, the virtual hosts mechanism works
excellent,
but I'm missing an access control like ftphosts on a per user basis and
other little features.

Last question: Does anybody know other good ftp servers, which may
work on SGI workstations (commercial or free)?

Thanks,
Andreas

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 10:55:37 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 10 Sep 1998, Andreas Zierott wrote:

> I've problems in setting up the virtual hosts mechanism of wuftp on
> IRIX 6.x. When I set the parameters (root, banner, logfile) as
> described in the documentation I can see in syslog that a virtual
> connection was established and I get the correct banner, too. But
> after login I'm not in the right (virtual) directory but in the
> directory of the "real" ftp server. Is there something special about
> the root parameter? I've tried that with beta16, beta18 and
> newvirt-50. Maybe I am mistaken, maybe it's an IRIX problem.

I've not heard of any problems with 'virtual root' in recent versions.
The manpage says this may not work with some systems but, since it's
working with 'virtual banner' that's not the case here.  I'd say there's a
typo in the <address> parameter on your 'virtual root' line.

> Another question: Is it possible to configure a virtual server to use
> a separate password file or even an alternate authentication method?
> I've tried ncFTPd, too. With this, the virtual hosts mechanism works
> excellent, but I'm missing an access control like ftphosts on a per
> user basis and other little features.

Either newvirt-050 or BeroFTPD should do what you want for passwords.
ISTR patches floating about for TACAS+ and Radius as well as support for
Kerberos and other authentication methods.  You'd best look through the
source kit and the mailing list archives to find them.

> work on SGI workstations (commercial or free)?

IMHO there are _no_ other 'good' ftp servers!  If you disagree, send
replies to nobody@localhost ...

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195