Subject: new virt

From: Becki Kain <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 16:51:19 -0400 (EDT)

Hi again all:

I was assuming that newvirt-050 was a patch, or a series of patches to be
made to wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-18.  However, it appears, instead, to be an
entire installation of beta 18, I assume with certain modifications.  Can
someone tell if if this has any of the VR patches installed?  And if not,
can the VR patches BE installed on this, given the differences in source
code?

(this is under, if it matters, solaris 2.6)

Becki Kain
[email-masked]
--
  furph, Inc.	WWW/Unix/Windows Solutions	734-513-7763 (voice)
[email-masked]	   http://www.furph.com		734-513-7759 (FAX)

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 17:13:30 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 14 Sep 1998, Becki Kain wrote:

> I was assuming that newvirt-050 was a patch, or a series of patches to
> be made to wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-18.  However, it appears, instead, to be
> an entire installation of beta 18, I assume with certain
> modifications.  Can someone tell if if this has any of the VR patches
> installed?  And if not, can the VR patches BE installed on this, given
> the differences in source code?

Newvirt is not released as a patch because it changes so much at once.
Kent has not said whether he plans to roll the VR patches into it himself.
I have heard from a few people they're working on doing just that.  I do
know, however, that BeroFTPD includes _both_ the newvirt-050 changes and
the VR patches, along with a few additional changes Bernard's put in.  So,
if you're interested in both VR and newvirt, I'd recommend you get
BeroFTPD.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195

---

From: Thomas Neshite <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 14:40:30 -0400 (EDT)

I hate to sound elementary...
	... but I'm so good at it :'I

Can you summarize the benefits/features/differences/whatever between
wuftp, newvirt and berol?

I thought this list was dedicated to wuftp but I see a good deal of
traffic on these softwares of which I am unfamiliar.

tjn

---

From: "m.l.p." <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 17:03:47 -0300

> wuftp, newvirt and berol?

Yes Please do!

> > Gregory A Lundberg            Senior Partner, VRnet Company

And  gold star "penguin" to Gregory for his never ending support!!!

Mitch

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 17:43:51 -0400 (EDT)

> traffic on these softwares of which I am unfamiliar.

First off, newvirt and BeroFTPD are variants of wu-ftpd.  To my point of
view, they _are_ wu-ftpd .. their maintainers have split off their own
local copies and chosen new names to avoid confusion.  As Bernard pointed
out to me in a persona e-mail, what's the point of maintaining diff's when
the patch file exceed the size of the tarball?

Second, remember .. I don't use either of them, so I'll get some of it
wrong.  Kent and Bernard will havta jump in to correct me.

So ...

WU-FTPD 2.4
-----------
The last 'official' version from Washington Univ at St. Louis.  Buggy,
full of security holes.  Computers running this version should not be
connected to _any_ network if they care at all about security.

The 'academ betas', currently: WU-FTPD 2.4.2 BETA-18
----------------------------------------------------
Primarily these added the 2.4-HOBBIT patches and some of Stan's 2.4-ACADEM
patches.  Stan took on the project after WUSTL lost their funding.  He's
now accepted as the 'maintainer' (sic) of WU-FTPD.  Over the years a few
other bugs have been fixed, but few (if any) new features have been added
to the 2.4 version.  For many of us, this is the 'official' version.  
While it was originally justified, the continued use of 'beta' in the
package name only serves to chanse off potential users.

New virtual hosting proposal, currently: NEWVIRT 050
----------------------------------------------------
Kent's implementation showing his proposed alternate method for supporting
virutal hosts.  If you have any more than trivial needs for multi-homed
FTP services, this is what you want.  Kent also co-manages the mailing
list and runs the mailing list archives as well as the Resource Center.

BeroFTPD, currently: BeroFTPD 1.0.12
------------------------------------
Bernard's spin-off of the server.  Recently, he's rolled in the NEWVIRT
changes as well as my patches (through VR6).  I've only recently started
looking into what's he's added.  It looks like the most major other
feature is upload/download ratio support; but that may just be because it
lept out at me (and I detest ratios :P ).  I guess I should also point out
that the package uses GNU autoconf, so it's *much* easier to compile, plus
Bernard's removing the last K&R vestiges making code support much easier.

VRnet patches, currently VR7
----------------------------
These patches are the result of an exhaustive search through the mailing
list archives (since 1994 when Kent took over, prior to that is lost) for
patches, patch requests and feature requests.  Along the way, I've fixed a
few bugs in the base academ-beta release and, of course, fixed problems
with my earlier patches.

These are the five 'major flavors' of WU-FTPD I am aware of.  Of them for
the most part, I now recommend using BeroFTPD for its features (since it
includes everything from the other packages).  If you do not need
multi-homed (virtual) FTP support, I recommend (and I don't want to sound
self-serving here) using the VR-patched academ betas.

--