Subject: Web browser FTP help!

From: Aaron Holtz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 09:24:57 -0400 (EDT)

Hello,

	I've got a RedHat 4.2 linux box running WU-FTPD newvirt-040
code with the hostname and mkdir patches installed.  I have several
thousand users who I have in guest groups.  They are chrooted properly
under all instances EXCEPT when they use a web browser (Netscape or IE.)
Using the syntax:   http://username:[email-masked]   they are
logged into the root dir of the server!   Is this some type of special
login that allows them to get around the chrooting?  I really need to stop
this - any thoughts are appreciated.  I'm just back on the list after
being gone for a bit, so I apologize if this has been discussed.  I
couldn't find anything in the archives relating to my troubles.  Thanks
again.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Aaron Holtz
ComNet Inc.
Manager, Unix Systems Administration
Email:  [email-masked]
"We do these things not because they are easy, 
 but because they are hard."  -JFK
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Ted Keller <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 09:51:14 -0400 (EDT)

Aaron,

Not sure if I'm on the right track here....

Your url indicated the http protocol instead of the ftp protocol.  Does
this machine also run a web server???  Try setting the url to ftp://....

ted keller - bfg.com

---

From: Aaron Holtz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 09:54:15 -0400 (EDT)

Just about to email the group back - this was my bad BIG TIME!!!
Someone changed the spelling of the group name in /etc/group without
telling me and I never bothered to check.  The thing with the web
browsers is that they cd to / be default for some dumb reason if you don't
specify the directory at the end of the URL, whereas a normal FTP client
does everything correctly. I meant to put ftp:// in my example, so sorry
about the confusion there!!  At least it wasn't a major bug/problem.
Sorry!  :-)