Subject: Re: your mail

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 10:55:31 -0700

I am trying to build WU-FTPD on SunOS 4.1.4

I am using the source for wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-18-vr7

If I try building with the bundeled compiler, cc, I get the following error.

Making ftpd.
cc -g -I.. -I../support -L../support -c ftpd.c
"ftpd.c", line 889: void type illegal in expression
"ftpd.c", line 1304: syntax error at or near type word "int"
"ftpd.c", line 5250: syntax error at or near variable name "const"
"ftpd.c", line 5314: const undefined
make: *** [ftpd.o] Error 1

If I try using gcc (version 2.8) I get the following unresolved.

gcc -g -I.. -I../support -L../support -o ftpd ftpd.o ftpcmd.o glob.o logwtmp.o p
open.o vers.o access.o extensions.o realpath.o acl.o private.o authenticate.o co
nversions.o hostacc.o routevector.o sigfix.o -Bstatic -lresolv -lsupport
collect2: ld returned 2 exit status
ld: Undefined symbol
   _strtoul
gcc: file path prefix `static' never used
make: *** [ftpd] Error 1

I was able to build the source for wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-18 using gcc. I also
got the same error when using cc.

------------------------------------------------------------------
  Richard L. Hoesly                            Phone: 310-214-2922
  Directory of Software Systems                FAX:   310-214-3420
  Universal Analytics, Inc.                    Email: [email-masked]
  3625 Del Amo Blvd., Suite 370
  Torrance, California 90503

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 14:18:49 -0400 (EDT)

> If I try building with the bundeled compiler, cc, I get the following error.

For all it's effort to continue to support K&R, the WU-FTPD daemon fails.
It requires (and has for some years now) an ANSI/ISO C compiler.

>    _strtoul

This is from VR patches.  I figure if you've got an ANSI/ISO compiler you
ought to also have the ANSI/ISO runtime .. appearently you don't.

If that's the only problem you've got, insert the following #define at the
very end of your src/config.h and rebuild:

#define strtoul strtol

If that doesn't fix it, use the following instead:

#define strtoul(s,e,b) atol((s))

> got the same error when using cc.

There are pre-built binaries for Solaris/Sparc available for VR7 in my FTP
site if you want to just grab them and avoid the hassles.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195