Subject: Re: wu-ftp legal

From: Kaysee Long <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 10:32:51 -0400

This is what my legal department said when I gave them the license
below....thank you  Kaysee

LEGAL:  You need to talk to Washington State because there is no grant of a
right to use in the language you sent me   (copied below)

What I gave legal:
wu ftpd

This is the closest i could find to a "license" or "right to use"

The following notices apply to this package:

    Copyright (c) 1994  Washington University in Saint Louis.
    All rights reserved.

    This product includes software developed by Washington University in
    Saint Louis and its contributors

    Copyright (c) 1980, 1985, 1988, 1989, 1990  The Regents of the
    University of California.  All rights reserved.

    This product includes software developed by the University of California,
    Berkeley and its contributors.

    THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY AND CONTRIBUTORS
    ``AS IS'' AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT
    LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR
    A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED.  IN NO EVENT SHALL WASHINGTON
    UNIVERSITY OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT,
    INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING,
    BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES;
    LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER
    CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT
    LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN
    ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE
    POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

[email-masked] on 09/09/98 05:09:40 PM
Please respond to [email-masked]
To: Kaysee Long/White Plains/IBM@ibmus
cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: wu-ftp legal

On Wed, 9 Sep 1998, Kaysee Long wrote:

> Does anyone know where I can talk to a person with the legal apect of
> wu-ftp, maybe at washington university?  I know it is freeware, but our
> legal department still says we need an ok to use it in a commercial
> environment.  There is not right if use in the license.  thanks

Which license are you reading?  r did you legal department even both
reading?

Here's the license:

/* Copyright (c) 1985, 1988, 1990 Regents of the University of California.
 * All rights reserved.
 *
 * Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
 * modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are
 * met: 1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
 * notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer. 2.
 * Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice,
 * this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation
 * and/or other materials provided with the distribution. 3. All advertising
 * materials mentioning features or use of this software must display the
 * following acknowledgement: This product includes software developed by the
 * University of California, Berkeley and its contributors. 4. Neither the
 * name of the University nor the names of its contributors may be used to
 * endorse or promote products derived from this software without specific
 * prior written permission.
 *
 * THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE REGENTS AND CONTRIBUTORS ``AS IS'' AND ANY
 * EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED
 * WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE
 * DISCLAIMED.  IN NO EVENT SHALL THE REGENTS OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR
 * ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL
 * DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR
 * SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER
 * CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT
 * LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY
 * OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF
 * SUCH DAMAGE.
 */

It clearly gives right to use.

----

Gregory A Lundberg  Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 10:47:26 -0400 (EDT)

> This is the closest i could find to a "license" or "right to use"

Download wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-18 (you don't want to use anything else unless
you either (a) don't care about security at all or (b) never connect to
any network even a LAN).  Just look through the source files, OK?  There
are licenses galore.

The location of the latest version of wu-ftpd can be found in the 
directory
 
      ftp://ftp.academ.com/pub/wu-ftpd/private/
 
You can't see the directory contents, so read the message informing you
of the actual filename to retrieve. It's there.
 
wu-ftpd Resource Center:  http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/
wu-ftpd FAQ:              http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html
wu-ftpd list archive:     http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/mail-archive/

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195