Subject: Last Stable Beta + AFS Support

From: Jeff Gostin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 1998 17:53:59 -0700 (PDT)

Hi! Let me preface this by saying that I've RTFFAQ'd already, as well as
having searched through the mailing list archives, and haven't been able to
find the information I'm looking for.

I noticed the warning in the FAQ concerning the last "production" release
from wustl.edu, and the current beta work that's going on via academ. What I
was curious about is what the last stable beta release is. I know the last
beta is 18, but the last beta isn't always the most stable one. :)

Secondly, I noticed the instructions in the FAQ (q5.7) pertaining to
AFS-ifying wuftp. According to a "grep -i" of the src/ and makefile/
directories, there is no reference to 'afs' or 'andrew' in either the source
file or makefiles, contrary to what these directions say. Are there any
current instructions for AFS-ifying wuftp? The platforms I need to do this
on vary pretty significantly (AIX 3.x - 4.x, SunOS 4.1.x, Solaris 2.x, Next,
Ultrix, and probably one or two others I'm forgetting).

Documentation pointers, etc, would be greatly appreciated. I'll be happy to
RTFM if someone would be kind enough to indicate which 'FM' I should 'R'. My
thanks, in advance, for any assistance you can provide! :)

				--Jeff

---

From: Nathan Neulinger <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 1998 20:37:14 -0500

> Ultrix, and probably one or two others I'm forgetting).

My patch for krb5 and afs support was just added to BeroFTPd. The 
component of that for AFS can easily be pulled out for use in wu-ftpd. 
Just look for #ifdef AFS in the src. 

-- Nathan

------------------------------------------------------------
Nathan Neulinger                       EMail:  [email-masked]
University of Missouri - Rolla         Phone: (573) 341-4841
Computing Services                       Fax: (573) 341-4216

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 1998 22:15:09 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 2 Sep 1998, Jeff Gostin wrote:

> I noticed the warning in the FAQ concerning the last "production"
> release from wustl.edu, and the current beta work that's going on via
> academ. What I was curious about is what the last stable beta release
> is. I know the last beta is 18, but the last beta isn't always the most
> stable one. :) 

It's been a long time since I've read the FAQ's ramblings about all that. 
The last release of WU-FTPD is called 'beta-18' .. it's called that not to
designate 'stable' versus 'testing' but simply because the so-called
'maintainer' of the software chooses to call it that.  His reasons are his
own and, to my mind, unfathomable.  I, and I believe thousands of others,
have found 2.4.2-beta-18 to be quite stable and reliable on a vast number
of systems.  From my experience offering help with the server, I'd have to
say that most, if not all, problems with the base 'beta-18' release are
due to configuration problems and not due to deficiencies in the software.

----

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195

---

From: Bernhard Rosenkraenzer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 1998 01:08:10 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 2 Sep 1998, Jeff Gostin wrote:

> from wustl.edu,

The betas are all far more stable than the so-called production release.

> AFS-ifying wuftp.

The easiest way is to get BeroFTPD 1.1.9
(ftp://ftp.aachen.linux.de/pub/BeroFTPD/BeroFTPD-1.1.9.tar.gz), which is a
modified wu-ftpd that, among other things, adds AFS support.

LLaP
bero

-- 
Windows 98 supports real multitasking - it can boot and crash simultaneously.
***
Anyone sending unwanted advertising e-mail to this address will be charged
$25 for network traffic and computing time. By extracting my address from
this message or its header, you agree to these terms.