Subject: Re: why wu-ftpd ?

From: Chuck Pierce <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 98 16:24:11 -0500

9/22/98 4:12 PM

>
>Hi,
>
>I was asked by my (non-technical) manager why we should use wu-ftpd
>instead of the in.ftpd that comes with our Sun machine (running Solaris
>2.6). I was looking through the faq(s) and could not find any good
>answers to give him. If there is anything on-line that I could show him,
>I would really be greatful.
>
>Thanks
>
>

well the thing for me was stability and the ability to have virtual ftp.  
I originally had sun's version of ftpd running and it kept crapping out 
on me, and when I switched everything worked smoothly.. - Chuck

     o o o o o o o . . .   ___________________ _________=======_T___
   o      _____           ||Chuck Pierce     | | [email-masked]|
 .][__n_n_|DD[  ====|____  |CEO              | | Fax. 615.665.2401  |
>(_UV_____|__|_[___/_____]_|Onyx_Systems_LLC_|_|_Tel. 615.665.3377__|_
_/oo OOOOOO o`  ooo   ooo  'o^o^o       o^o^o` 'o^o              o^o`
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

---

From: Bob Luckin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 98 17:06:51 CDT

> >I would really be greatful.
...
> on me, and when I switched everything worked smoothly.. - Chuck

While for me it was the ability to (a) log transfer data for analysis and
(b) limit access to certain areas of the server via the "private" option
and site group / gpass commands.

Others like it for the guestgroup feature and/or the virtual hosting.

This is in addition to the CERT security recommendations mentioned
previously...

So there are a variety of reason why wu-ftpd may be considered preferable.

I guess you _could_ also argue that you may get better and cheaper support
via this list than through your system vendor - but I can't speak from
experience, since I've never run my vendor's supplied server.  Others on
this list may be better able to comment on how the support compares.

Cheers, Bob
-- 
Bob Luckin      [email-masked]      "Coder, adapt.  FTP Ada, redo C."
                                 [http://www.dhc.net/~luckin/palindromes.html]