Subject: "421 Service not available" error

From: Pat Masterson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 14:24:59 -0400 (EDT)

When I ftp to ftp.west.net from httpe4.northgrum.com I get:

[email-masked] [146]: ftp ftp.west.net
Connected to ftp.west.net.
421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection
ftp>

But I can do it successfully from a nearby machine on another subnet:
root@gateway [262]: ftp ftp.west.net
Connected to ftp.west.net.
220 taz FTP server (Version wu-2.4.2-academ[BETA-11](3) Mon Sep 23 
19:07:10 PDT 1996) ready.

I'm quite sure the reverse DNS is available everywhere for 
httpe4.northgrum.com. The sysadmin of west.net is out of town for a few 
weeks and can't help me.  Why might it be dropping me? -pat

*-----------------------------------------------------------------------------*
*  Pat Masterson  B38-01,  Northrop Grumman,     *  Ham:KE2LJ 
*  Plant 1, South Oyster Bay Rd.,                *  Packet: [email-masked] 
*  Bethpage, NY 11714                            *  President Grumman Amateur
*  email: [email-masked]   Fone: 516-346-6316   *  Radio Club  WA2LQO
*-----------------------------------------------------------------------------*

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 14:45:33 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 30 Sep 1998, Pat Masterson wrote:

> 421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection ftp
> 

If you're using tcpd, check its configuration.  It doesn't like your
subnet for some reason.  Probably DNS-related.

Failing that, look in the system logs.  Is the daemon dying?  It'll be
logged there.  If so, what version of the daemon are you running and on
what platform?

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195