Subject: WU-FTPD won't chroot!

From: "Jason Kantz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 08:02:57 PDT

I've scoured the Internet, followed every direction to the tee, and 
still can't get WU-FTPD to chroot guest accounts.

Strangely enough, the anonymous FTP account will chroot, but guest 
accounts won't.

When I log in as a guest I know it is working as a guest account because 
when I issue the "user" command the response is "can't change users from 
a guest account".  Yet wu-ftp doesn't chroot like the documentation says 
it will.  Guests have access to the whole file system.

Is it hopeless?  Does this simply not work?  I am running wu-ftpd on a 
Digital Unix 4.0d platform with C2 security.  Any help is greatly 
appreciated.

Jason Kantz
Webmaster 
Aquinas College
[email-masked]

______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 11:55:12 -0400 (EDT)

> Digital Unix 4.0d platform with C2 security.  Any help is greatly

It's know to work just fine.  I just went through this with another user
on DEC Unix 4.0 (no C2 for him, but that's not the problem).

First .. DU4 has a limit on the number of parameters on the line for
inetd.conf .. so what you'll need to do is make a small wrapper script:

#!/bin/sh
exec /usr/sbin/wu-ftpd -a

Where '/usr/sbin/wu-ftpd' is the complete pathname for your deamon's
executable.  Add additional options to the end, *BUT* be sure you have the
'-a' option otherwise the /etc/ftpaccess file won't be used at all!

Put the wrapper in /usr/sbin or someplace whereinetd.conf can get to it
and mark it with permissions 0550 (ug=rx,o=)

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195