Subject: wu-ftpd gui client hangs

From: "glee" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 1998 22:10:16 -0400

hi all,

i've been searching through dejanews and the wu-ftpd archives, and i've
seen an couple of posts referring to this problem, but no solutions
offered.  here goes:

ftp connections are running ok (not great) when i ftp into the machine from
command line, but when i try to connect using a gui client (mac bbedit,
fetch/ win nt ws-ftp netscape), the client hangs for up to 15-30 seconds
before i get a directory listing.  sometimes the connection fails
altogether.  once i'm in with the gui client,  navigating dirs and subdirs
takes a ridiculously long time (10-15 sec just to get a listing).  after
much fiddling, i decided to try testing on a port other than 21, and set up
wuftp to listen on ports 4001 and 4000.  when i used the gui client(s) to
connect using those ports, everything worked fine!  very speedy all around.
 so now i'm stumped.  i thought maybe it was a tcp retransmit problem, but
the fact that port 4001 worked fine seemed to argue against that.  running
lsof didn't reveal anything conflicts on port 21, and netstat was equally
non-illuminating.  rebooting didn't help either.
btw, i have the same version of wu-ftpd installed and running fine on
another solaris box, so i'm wondering if the patch level is messing with
it.  completely stumped as to why it works fine on a port other than 21.

i would really love to hear what y'all think of this, and if there's
anything i should try.

thanks much in advance!

-gerald

here's my setup:

solaris 2.5.1 (recommended patches, y2k patches)
Version wu-2.4.2-academ[BETA-18]

inetd.conf entry:
ftp     stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/in.ftpd       in.ftpd
-laio

here's my truss output (initial connection and one cwd):
# truss -t open -p 26887
open("/var/adm/xferlog", O_WRONLY|O_APPEND|O_CREAT, 0660) = 7
open("/etc/group", O_RDONLY)                    = 8
open("/var/adm/wtmpx", O_WRONLY|O_APPEND)       = 8
open("/var/adm/wtmp", O_WRONLY|O_APPEND)        = 9
open("./../", O_RDONLY|O_NDELAY)                = 10
open("./../../", O_RDONLY|O_NDELAY)             = 10
open("/etc/mnttab", O_RDONLY)                   = 11
open("/welcome.msg", O_RDONLY)                  = 10
open(".", O_RDONLY|O_NDELAY)                    = 10
    Received signal #18, SIGCLD [default]
      siginfo: SIGCLD CLD_EXITED pid=26891 status=0x0000
open("/dev/tcp", O_RDWR)                        = 11
open("./../", O_RDONLY|O_NDELAY)                = 10
open("./../../", O_RDONLY|O_NDELAY)             = 10
open("./../../../", O_RDONLY|O_NDELAY)          = 10
open("/etc/mnttab", O_RDONLY)                   = 11
open(".message", O_RDONLY)                      Err#2 ENOENT
open(".", O_RDONLY|O_NDELAY)                    = 10
open("./../", O_RDONLY|O_NDELAY)                = 10
open("./../../", O_RDONLY|O_NDELAY)             = 10
open("/etc/mnttab", O_RDONLY)                   = 11
open("./../", O_RDONLY|O_NDELAY)                = 10
open("./../../", O_RDONLY|O_NDELAY)             = 10
open("./../../../", O_RDONLY|O_NDELAY)          = 10
open("/etc/mnttab", O_RDONLY)                   = 11
    Received signal #18, SIGCLD [default]
      siginfo: SIGCLD CLD_EXITED pid=26892 status=0x0000
open("/dev/tcp", O_RDWR)                        = 11