Subject: ls vs. ls -l

From: "Michael Cook" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 09:53:42 -0700

Hello all,
    I am running wu-ftpd ver 18 beta academ on a Sun Ultra II with 2.5.1. I
am using real users (limited by file access permissions) and a guestgroup
which chroots users to their home directories with no anonymous ftp.
    Everything works well with this, except ls -l. I get an entry in
/var/adm/messages that reads "cannot find /usr/lib/ld.so.1". ls works fine,
however, it's just the long listing which fails. This file does exist in the
user's home directory and I verified it against the original
/usr/lib/ld.so.1 and the file size is correct. The permissions
are -r-xr-xr-x, owner root, group other.
        Any help on this one would be appreciated!!
            Thanks,
                Michael

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 13:17:56 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 21 Sep 1998, Michael Cook wrote:

> /var/adm/messages that reads "cannot find /usr/lib/ld.so.1". ls works
> fine, however, it's just the long listing which fails. This file does
> exist in the user's home directory and I verified it against the
> original /usr/lib/ld.so.1 and the file size is correct. The
> permissions are -r-xr-xr-x, owner root, group other.

Sounds like your client sends 'LIST' for 'ls' and 'NLST' for 'ls -al'  The
former is built into the daemon, the later uses an external program.

Look at the home directory field for the user in /etc/passwd.  The
/usr/lib/ld.so.1 file must existing within the directory portion to the
_left_ of the '/./' .. ie, if /home/users/./usera it must be
/home/users/usr/lib/ld.so.1

Under Linux, I sometimes have problems with the ld preload for libraries
getting in the way.  That's why I use static binaries, but it's probably
specific to my Linux and not needed for most sites.

Your problem is a FAQ, really ...

The location of the latest version of wu-ftpd can be found in the 
directory
 
      ftp://ftp.academ.com/pub/wu-ftpd/private/
 
You can't see the directory contents, so read the message informing you
of the actual filename to retrieve. It's there.
 
wu-ftpd Resource Center:  http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/
wu-ftpd FAQ:              http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html
wu-ftpd list archive:     http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/mail-archive/

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195