Subject: Re: Last Stable Beta + AFS Support

From: Bernhard Rosenkraenzer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 1998 13:22:59 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 3 Sep 1998, Dan Stromberg wrote:

> > The betas are all far more stable than the so-called production release.
> 
> Do they REALLY need to be beta?

I (and most other people) think no.

> Why can't we have a non-beta release?

Because the maintainer disagrees, for whatever reasons.
It's part why I started modifying wu-ftpd - there definately is a non-beta
version of BeroFTPD (which is wu-ftpd 2.4.2-beta-18 + lots of patches).

> Some poor guy on comp.unix.solaris was installing 2.4 today - it's lucky
> someone noticed and pointed out he should be using a beta.  It's really
> contrary to people's expectations that a beta would be so good, and
> production release so bad.

Exactly.

LLaP
bero

-- 
Windows 98 supports real multitasking - it can boot and crash simultaneously.
***
Anyone sending unwanted advertising e-mail to this address will be charged
$25 for network traffic and computing time. By extracting my address from
this message or its header, you agree to these terms.

---

From: Bernhard Rosenkraenzer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 1998 18:28:14 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 4 Sep 1998 [email-masked] wrote:

> I too have been struggling with wu-ftpd-2.4 on an ultra 5 running solaris
> 2.6. I finally managed to get a clean compile(after much trouble) but the
> server dies upon connect with a signal 11. Before I go any further could
> you please advise me about this beta version - is it the one I should be
> using? - where should I go to get it & what is the file name?

This is mostly a matter of personal opinion - at the moment, you can
decide between five different versions, all of which will work.
Here's a description of their differences:

wu-ftpd 2.4.2 beta 18
(ftp://ftp.academ.com/pub/wu-ftpd/private/wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-18.tar.Z):
	The latest "official" release - fixes numerous bugs present in
	version 2.4.

wu-ftpd 2.4.2 beta 18 - VR6
(ftp://ftp.vr.net/pub/wu-ftpd/)
	A version of wu-ftpd 2.4.2 beta 18 with some more bugs fixed, and
	some new features added (this version can run as a standalone
	daemon, for example).

newvirt 050
(ftp://ftp.landfield.com/pub/wu-ftpd/)
	A version of wu-ftpd 2.4.2 beta 18 with entirely rewritten and
	far better handling of virtual hosts.

BeroFTPD 1.0.11
(ftp://ftp.aachen.linux.de/pub/BeroFTPD/BeroFTPD-1.0.11.tar.gz)
	A program based on wu-ftpd 2.4.2 beta 18, with many changes.
	This version includes the changes of the VR6 version *AND* the
	virtual hosts improvements from newvirt 050, as well as some
	more changes of its own.
	Most significantly, it is autoconf'ed.
	1.0.11 is a stable version.

BeroFTPD 1.1.10
(ftp://ftp.aachen.linux.de/pub/BeroFTPD/BeroFTPD-1.1.10.tar.gz)
	A more experimental (beta) version of BeroFTPD; additionally to
	everything in 1.0.11, BeroFTPD 1.1.10 tries to implement the ls
	command internally.

All of these versions are far better than the 2.4 version.

I personally am running (and maintaining) BeroFTPD.

> I originally got the file wu-ftpd-2.4.tar from
> wuarchive.wustl.edu/packages/wuarchive-ftpd which was recommended in the
> "anonymous ftp configuration guidlines" document from CERT.

Where did you get that document? I think it's time to send them a note
saying 2.4 is obsolete.

> Also, is gcc an acceptable compiler for this package?

Absolutely. (You should use at least gcc 2.7.2, though - older versions
have some known bugs that might or might not affect this.)

LLaP
bero