Subject: using guestgroup with WU242-B16

From: Gregor Mosheh <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 12:09:50 -0700

Hello,
I'm trying to get guestgroup access working, and am having no luck. When I 
FTP in as this restricted user, I am still able to browse the whole 
filesystem.

I consulted the guestgroup-howto and had no better luck. I notice, though, 
that there's a "class" directive in Michael's ftpaccess example that we 
don't have -- is this the issue, and what is the suggested way to set the class line?

OS Version:
SunOS 5.6 (Solaris 2.6)

WU FTPD Version:
Version wu-2.4.2-academ[BETA-16]

User "bridge" has a primary group of "guest" (GID 60003).
In the passwd file, user "bridge" has their homedir set to:
/web/live-mediaone/docs/bridge/./

In /etc/ftpaccess, I added the following line:
guestgroup guest

The ftpd does use /etc/ftpaccess - we use ftpaccess directives to set up 
banners for virtual hosts, for instance, and those work.

--	Gregor Mosheh
	Novo/Ironlight
	wasteland.ironlight.com

Please note: The correct address for technical support is [email-masked]
Please use that address unless you want to contact me specifically.

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 15:41:23 -0400 (EDT)

> Version wu-2.4.2-academ[BETA-16]

Beta-18 is out and fixes some problems.  you should upgrade to it if you
get the time.

> User "bridge" has a primary group of "guest" (GID 60003). In the
> passwd file, user "bridge" has their homedir set to:

Add 'bridge' to 'guest' in /etc/group .. the daemon uses the group file
for autogroup, not the default group from the password file.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195

---

From: Martin Chong <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 15:54:25 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Greg,

I'm using Newvirt-050, and I've having problems supporting multiple
domains over one IP.

The problem being that based on the hostname they FTP to, I want them go
to the assigned root directory in the /etc/ftpd/config/domain/ftpaccess
file. Is this possible. It doesn't seem to work. I just get thrown in the
directory which is first listed in the ftpservers file. 

Thanks,

*********************************
Martin Chong			*
Network Systems Administrator	*
Passport Online			*
230 Richmond St. West		*
Toronto, ON			*
(416)-351-1040			*
				*
e-mail: [email-masked]	*
*********************************

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 16:06:16 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 21 Sep 1998, Martin Chong wrote:

> The problem being that based on the hostname they FTP to, I want them
> go to the assigned root directory in the
> /etc/ftpd/config/domain/ftpaccess file. Is this possible. It doesn't
> seem to work. I just get thrown in the directory which is first listed
> in the ftpservers file.

Each FTP hostname you want to use *MUST* have its own IP number.  This is
called 'multi-homing' and is required by the current FTP specifications.

The FTP Working Group (FTP-WG) is developing a new FTP specification which
will probably include a 'HOST' command which will support name-based,
truely virtual FTP sites (using the HOST command and CNAME DNS resources),
like the latest HTTP specification does. Until the new FTP specification
is released, and the client and server software upgrades to meet the new
specification, you will need to multi-home the sites.

--

---

From: Martin Chong <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 16:42:28 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 21 Sep 1998, Gregory A Lundberg wrote:

I guess the best way would then be to do it by user. What's the easiest
way to control the chrooted dir for real users?

Thanks

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 16:44:30 -0400 (EDT)

> way to control the chrooted dir for real users?

Read the 'guest howto' referenced from the FAQ.

The location of the latest version of wu-ftpd can be found in the 
directory
 
      ftp://ftp.academ.com/pub/wu-ftpd/private/
 
You can't see the directory contents, so read the message informing you
of the actual filename to retrieve. It's there.
 
wu-ftpd Resource Center:  http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/
wu-ftpd FAQ:              http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html
wu-ftpd list archive:     http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/mail-archive/

--

---

From: John Olp <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 17:49:01 -0700

Sorry folks if this gets too much off-topic, but I can't seem to find the
answers, 'though I know they're out there.

I need to scale up to 1000 or more simultaneous ftp users and could use
some insight with regard to the following:

1) I recall reading about problems where even though the ftpaccess file
listed enough connections for certain class types, the limit that a server
would actually permit was based on other things.  I also have seen the
answers, but now I can't find them when I need them.  I believe one of them
was a limit that was a descriptor limit or something of that sort compiled
into the kernel, and another was some way of getting inetd to increase the
number of allowed connection beyond some default.  Do these ring anybody's
bell?  I also remember seeing something relating to a large number of users
all trying to connect at once.  What kind of issues does that create?

2) If anybody has already done the metrics, what kind of iron do I need to
support this scenario (ie. memory, mhz)?  Has anybody done a benchmark
comparison of wu-ftp on various platforms?  I'd like to stick with FreeBSD
or Linux, but am open to other platforms if the performance is better.

3) I don't know what our average file size will be yet, but I'm hoping we
can get by with just a T-1 connection.  Does anybody have figures or
signal-to-noise ratios for ftp data encapsulated in IP over a
point-to-point T-1?  I'm not really concerned with latency on the Internet,
I'm just interested in knowing what amount of raw data bandwidth I can
sustain from a host connected to the Internet via T-1 (ftp server and
router are on a 10Mb ethernet).

Thanks for any help,

John