Subject: Help! - anonymous ftp

From: "Chris Drumgoole" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 16:35:42 -0400

Hi, I am having problems with anonymous ftp on my system.  THe version is
wu-ftp 2.4.2b16, on a Red Hat 5.1 Intel system.

Here is the deal:
FTP does work, I can log in using account names, and upload files, no
problem.  However, when I try to set up anonymous ftp, problems happen:

I host domain, so I want virtual FTP for them (ftp.domain1.com)

For this, I will use domain1.com.  in the ftpaccess file, I have this:
virtual 209.25.119.26 root /home/domain1/ftp
virtual 209.25.119.26 logfile /home/domain1/logs/ftp
virtual 209.25.119.26 banner /home/domain1/ftp/.banner

Now, when I try to ftp to that domain/IP address, it allows an anonymous
user to log it, but you see no directory structures, nor any files.  Here is
what that /home/domain1/ftp dir looks like:
drwxr-xr-x   8 domain1  domain1      1024 Sep 20 20:55 .
drwx--x--x  18 domain1  domain1      2048 Sep 21 12:43 ..
-rw-r--r--   1 domain1  domain1        46 Aug 22 17:20 .banner
drwxr-xr-x   2 domain1  domain1      1024 Aug 22 17:20 bin
drwxr-xr-x   2 domain1  domain1      1024 Aug 22 17:20 etc
drwxrwxrwx   2 domain1  domain1      1024 Aug 22 17:20 incoming
drwxr-xr-x   2 domain1  domain1      1024 Aug 22 17:20 lib
drwxr-xr-x   2 domain1  domain1      1024 Aug 22 17:48 pub
drwxr-xr-x   2 domain1  domain1      1024 Aug 22 17:20 usr
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root            8 Sep 20 21:34 welcome.msg

(I even tried to change all the dirs's owner to root.  The /home/domain1 is
drwx--x--x, the /home/domain1/ftp is drwxr-xr-x

I tried something else.  I tried to put the ftp stuff in here:
/home/ftp/domain1 (/home/ftp is what the system uses for the default, WHICH
DOES WORK FOR ANONYMOUS, PERFECTLY)
the /home/ftp dir is drwxr-xr-x, and the /home/ftp/domain1 is
wxr-xr-x   -- still does not work.

Interesting fact:  using Netscape 4, the .banner *and* welcome.msg files are
viewable, but with no dirs.  But with IE4, only the welcome.msg works.
odd...

Thanks to anyone who helps me!

Chris

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 16:51:13 -0400 (EDT)

> -rw-r--r--   1 root     root            8 Sep 20 21:34 welcome.msg

New take on a FAQ.  The virtual domain needs to be set up .. the directory
contents .. the same as the normal anonymous area.  you're missing a part.

> viewable, but with no dirs.  But with IE4, only the welcome.msg works.

No odd at all.  Netscape uses LIST and IE uses NLST .. LIST uses a buildin
directory lister.  NLIST uses the external one yo've not compeltely set
up.

Start with the FAQ

The location of the latest version of wu-ftpd can be found in the 
directory
 
      ftp://ftp.academ.com/pub/wu-ftpd/private/
 
You can't see the directory contents, so read the message informing you
of the actual filename to retrieve. It's there.
 
wu-ftpd Resource Center:  http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/
wu-ftpd FAQ:              http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html
wu-ftpd list archive:     http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/mail-archive/

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195