Subject: Re: authentication & NIS ?

From: "Gregory A. Parmer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 1998 11:35:59 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 31 Aug 1998, Karl Hanzel wrote:
> host that relies upon NIS for userid/passwds?  Is it manditory that an ftp
> user be in the local /etc/passwd file, or is authentication handled in the
> regular manor of consulting the NIS-savy system calls?
> 
> I ask because an older version (2.4) authenticated users w/o problems, but
> the new beta (2.4.2-beta-18) is failing to authenticate legit users.
> Everything else is the same config-wise.  This is on HPUX_10.20.

Beta-16 works w/NIS on Solaris2.5. Probably Beta-18 also.
When you find the snag please summarize. 

Also, if moving from 2.4--don't forget to add "-a" in inetd.conf
to use ftpaccess.
See FAQ for details at http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/

-greg

---

From: Karl Hanzel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 1998 10:58:41 -0600 (MDT)

>> ...{not able to authenticate valid users on HPUX 10.20}...

> When you find the snag please summarize. 

No joy yet.  I'm stumped.  The same build works fine under Solaris 2.6.

Actually, i've just discovered that it doesn't even authenticate users who
_do_ have an entry in the server's /etc/passwd (never mind NIS), so it's a
more generic authentication problem than i first suspected.

Sanity check:  No, these users are _not_ in the ftpusers file (misnamed...
should be "ftpXusers" or something comparable :^)

> Also, if moving from 2.4--don't forget to add "-a" in inetd.conf

Right,... got that part at least, thanks.

*----->