Subject: login message problem

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 16:22:15 -0400

Are login messages applicable only to anonymous ftp users or should they
also display for members of guestgroups? On my wu-beta-18 (solaris 2.6)
system I can only see the message when logging in as anonymous. I put the
following welcome.msg file in the guests chroot'd directory to no avail. (I
also put it in the directory they are initially cd'd to)
-rw-r--r--   1 root     other        481 Sep 22 14:59 welcome.msg
I'm assuming my ftpaccess file is correct because I see the login message
for anonymous
users.
What could I be doing wrong?
Any thoughts would be appreciated!
thank-you,
jim

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 17:02:20 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 22 Sep 1998 [email-masked] wrote:

> Are login messages applicable only to anonymous ftp users or should
> they also display for members of guestgroups?

banner <path>  .. <path> is in the real file system.

message <path> .. <path> is in the chroot'd file system.

readme <path> .. <path> is in the chroot'd file system.

shutdown <path> .. <path> is in the chroot'd file system.

'banner' shouldn't be a problem.

For 'message' and 'readme' you'll need to have the files in every chroot'd
area *and* in the real file system if you want them to work for everyone.
This isn't a big problem unless you want to have the same message shown on
everyone's login.

For 'shutdown' you *WILL* need to copy the file everywhere.  In addition
there are bugs with this which are only fixed with the VR3 patches for
beta-18.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195