Subject: WU-FTPD virtual domains question

From: "Fernandez, Elena" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 15:01:55 -0400

Could anyone help with this questions, we are running wu-ftpd version 2.4.2
(Beta 18).

1) When using a hyperlink to get to a virtual FTP address there is a problem
when the userid:password format is used. For example:

	ftp://virtual1.mydomain.com/ <ftp://virtual1.mydomain.com/> 

The above works correctly and puts the user into the proper directory.

	ftp://myuserid:[email-masked]
<ftp://myuserid:[email-masked]> 

The above logs the user in but puts the user into the real FTP address home
directory instead of the one for the specified virtual address. Is this a
bug, missing feature or config problem?

2) Related to the above we have several virtual address defined. It is not
clear in the documentation how to set up the ftpaccess file to prohibit
anonymous access to one specific virtual address. Can someone provide an
example of how to allow anonymous access to multiple virtual addresses while
prohibiting anonymous access to others? In other words we want the first
example above to fail and the second to succeed.

Thanks,

Elena

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 16:05:55 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 23 Sep 1998, Fernandez, Elena wrote:

> Could anyone help with this questions, we are running wu-ftpd version
> 2.4.2 (Beta 18).
> 
> 1) When using a hyperlink to get to a virtual FTP address there is a
> problem when the userid:password format is used. For example:
> 
> The above logs the user in but puts the user into the real FTP address
> home directory instead of the one for the specified virtual address.
> Is this a bug, missing feature or config problem?

This isn't an FTP issue.  It's a web client issue.  Notice, also, that not
all web clients handle the URL you've written.  I'd suggest using the
first (not user/pass) which should work everywhere and forgetting the
second until the FTP-WG produces a standard for FTP URLs.

> 2) Related to the above we have several virtual address defined. It is
> not clear in the documentation how to set up the ftpaccess file to
> prohibit anonymous access to one specific virtual address. Can someone
> provide an example of how to allow anonymous access to multiple
> virtual addresses while prohibiting anonymous access to others? In
> other words we want the first example above to fail and the second to
> succeed.

>From an FTP point of view, you've just left beta-18 behind.  It can't do
what you want.  BeroFTPD includes newvirt, and should be able to do it.
Time to upgrade.

As for making the URLs work .. well, it'll work for FTP clients (but they
don't use URLs at all).  People using web clients may or may not work.  
If they work, fine.  If not, they'll have to switch to the other web
company's client or get an FTP client. As I said, it's not an FTP issue,
so there's nothing the server can do to help.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195