Subject: creating guest FTP accounts & root properties

From: Lev Lvovsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 00:07:29 -0700

Hi,

first off, I'm new to linux, but I like to know what I'm doing when delving
into new stuff.  I found the HOWTO for creating a guest FTP account at
ftp://ftp.fni.com/pub/wu-ftpd/guest-howto to be helpful, but really lacking
in explanations for what exaclty I was doing....basically I'm coming from
running a windows FTPd (war ftp), and doing something as simple as setting
a user's root is getting rather frustrating in linux. (btw, the howto
didn't work)

what I'd like to do is find out how to make ftp user accounts (the more
automated the better) that only have access to their own dirs, or a set of
dirs that I've created for them.  As it stands right now, I use "adduser",
and this works, but I'm also left with a user that's able to telnet in etc...

I'm looking for HOWTO's and similar documentation, as I'm sure this could
be a pretty big explanation (books would be nice too ;)...

thanks!!!
-lev

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 08:17:09 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 22 Sep 1998, Lev Lvovsky wrote:

> what I'd like to do is find out how to make ftp user accounts (the
> more automated the better) that only have access to their own dirs, or
> a set of dirs that I've created for them.  As it stands right now, I
> use "adduser", and this works, but I'm also left with a user that's
> able to telnet in etc...

Copy adduser to make a new script.  'addftpuser' maybe.  Change it so the
shell assigned is '/bin/false'.  Add /bin/false to /etc/shells.  The user
can POP/IMAP, FTP and have a web page, but cannot TELNET.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195