Subject: why wu-ftpd ?

From: "Jose Montilla" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 14:12:35 -0700

Hi,

I was asked by my (non-technical) manager why we should use wu-ftpd
instead of the in.ftpd that comes with our Sun machine (running Solaris
2.6). I was looking through the faq(s) and could not find any good
answers to give him. If there is anything on-line that I could show him,
I would really be greatful.

Thanks

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 17:22:31 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 22 Sep 1998, Jose Montilla wrote:

> instead of the in.ftpd that comes with our Sun machine (running
> Solaris 2.6). I was looking through the faq(s) and could not find any
> good answers to give him. If there is anything on-line that I could
> show him, I would really be greatful.

Short answer: security adn flexability.  The old BSD daemon they gave you
is barely good enough to run an anonymous FTP site.

Check out the Resource Center.  The best reference though is to go to
http://www.cert.org/ and see which daemon the security experts there
suggest you use.

The location of the latest version of wu-ftpd can be found in the 
directory
 
      ftp://ftp.academ.com/pub/wu-ftpd/private/
 
You can't see the directory contents, so read the message informing you
of the actual filename to retrieve. It's there.
 
wu-ftpd Resource Center:  http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/
wu-ftpd FAQ:              http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html
wu-ftpd list archive:     http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/mail-archive/

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195

---

From: Dave Wreski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 17:32:45 -0400 (EDT)

> is barely good enough to run an anonymous FTP site.

I understand Solaris 2.7 will be shipping with an implementation (similiar
to?) of wu-ftpd, including a graphical means for adding accounts.  Is
anyone familiar with this? I have been unable to aquire any further
information...

Thanks,
Dave