Subject: wu-ftpd 18 and logging

From: "Pomerance, Debbie" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 1998 17:50:14 -0400

Is there a way to get wu-ftp to log attempted (that is not succesful)
uploads/downloads.  They may be refused by 

   system directory/file permissions; or by 
   path-filter exclusions; or by
   noretrievals exclusions.   

User_messages seems to log only successful deletions.  Daemon.info lists
name of file but does not show the outcome.  

If I turn PARANOID on I get better logging (although I'm not sure I get
all of the above), however, that also unfortunately, also turns off
deletions.    

Am I missing something?  Has anyone implemented logging of failed
attempts due to wu restrictions / and or system restrictions.

Any help is much appreciated.

Debbie Pomerance

-------------------------------------------------------------
Deborah Pomerance         (202) 226-6255
mailto:[email-masked]
Unix System Administration
U.S. House of Representatives  /  House Information Resources

---

From: "William F. Maton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 1998 18:10:54 -0400 (EDT)

Hello folks

I have just only recently noticed a strange time-out problem with
wuftpd-beta-17 and -beta-18 when downloading large files via modem
(33.6K).  It seems that after approximately 50-60 minutes, I suddenly get
a netin() error, and the transfer dies.  I do remain connected to the
server, can ls, etc., and I can even try re-fetching any other file I want
- except large ones that take more than the amount of time before I get
cut off again.

Just in case I thought it was the FTP server's TCP/IP stack, I re-enabled
the stock Solaris 2.6 ftpd, and I didn't get this problem.

Unfortunately, I hadn't tried this with versions previous to -beta-17
because I have only just noticed this.  Any one here have any ideas what's
up?  The server is ftp.crc.ca, for those that wish to try.

Thanks in advance,

William F. Maton

---

From: Bernhard Rosenkraenzer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 1998 00:27:49 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 1 Sep 1998, Pomerance, Debbie wrote:

> Has anyone implemented logging of failed

Currently working on it in BeroFTPD 1.1.9...

LLaP
bero

-- 
Windows 98 supports real multitasking - it can boot and crash simultaneously.
***
Anyone sending unwanted advertising e-mail to this address will be charged
$25 for network traffic and computing time. By extracting my address from
this message or its header, you agree to these terms.

---

From: Bernhard Rosenkraenzer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 1998 17:02:45 +0200 (CEST)

>    path-filter exclusions; or by

I have just finished implementing this - it's contained in BeroFTPD 1.1.9

ftp://ftp.aachen.linux.de/pub/BeroFTPD/BeroFTPD-1.1.9.tar.gz
ftp://ftp.croftj.net/usr/bero/BeroFTPD/BeroFTPD-1.1.9.tar.gz

You have to add the command
  log security anonymous,guest,real
to get the feature.

LLaP
bero