Subject: chroot error

From: "Scott Parmenter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 13:11:55 -0700

Hi,

I'm slowly getting WUFTP installed and configured on Trusted Solaris.
I've never configured FTP before, and I'm having difficulties getting
the chroot to work as I'd like.  I've read the WUFTP man pages and FAQ,
but I still don't feel I understand it all.  When WUFTP attempts to
chroot, I get the "550 Can't set guest privileges" reply.  My initial
guess is that this means I don't have the passwd files correct.  At that
point pw->pw_dir = "/export/home" and sp = "./user/" (from the if
clause, line 1694 of ftpd.c).

The /etc/passwd line for this test user reads:
user:x:2122:10:user test account:/export/home/./user/:/bin/sh

Is this enough information to point out my error(s)?

Scott

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 16:27:42 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 10 Sep 1998, Scott Parmenter wrote:

> the chroot to work as I'd like.  I've read the WUFTP man pages and
> FAQ, but I still don't feel I understand it all.  When WUFTP attempts
> to chroot, I get the "550 Can't set guest privileges" reply.  My
> initial guess is that this means I don't have the passwd files
> correct.  At that point pw->pw_dir = "/export/home" and sp = "./user/"
> (from the if clause, line 1694 of ftpd.c).
> 

This means:

- There was an error chroot'ing to pw->pw_dir (/export/home in your case)
- or, there was an error chdir'ing to '/'
- or, there was an error chdir'ing to sp (./user/ in your case)

If it's a problem with chroot, it could be caused by the daemon not
running as root (chroot required superuser privilege) or the new
filesystem root (/export/home) not existing or being unusable
(permissions?).

If it's a problem with chdir, then the users's home directory
(/export/home/user) does not exist, has some problem making it unusable
(permissions?) or is not accessible from within the new chroot'd
environment.

-- 

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195

---

From: "Scott Parmenter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 12:33:16 -0700

> filesystem root (/export/home) not existing or being unusable

Ok, it appears to be a chroot error (I split the conditionals to give
individual replys).  This may be (and probably is) an operating system issue,
not wuftp specific.  Trusted Solaris is, of course, extremely picky about
permissions and privileges.  For example, to let wuftp do a setuid, I have to
explicitly grant it the appropriate privilege, even if it runs as root.

As an aside, when I do get wuftp up and running on TSOL 2.5 and 2.5.1, would
you like a copy of the modifications and procedures that I found necessary to
install and configure wuftp?  It's a bit more involved than on standard
Solaris.

Scott

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 17:00:07 -0400 (EDT)

> install and configure wuftp?  It's a bit more involved than on standard

Stan will take them if they're true 'bugs' in the base beta-18 release,
you'll need to fill out his web forms or email his bugs address since he
rarely (if ever) takes suggestions or bug reports off the mailing list.

I, on the other hand, will take a look at whatever you post or send to me
directly.  So, sure, send 'em along and share the fruits of your labors.

--