Subject: ls is working but not dir

From: [email-masked] (Daniel Clar)
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 1998 17:41:23 +0100

Hello,

I'm using wu-ftpd on a Digital Unix 4.0d computer.

For some accounts with restricted access to their own directory, the dir 
command is not working while the ls command is working fine.
The problem is that with Ws_ftp by example the user sees nothing on his 
screen.

Why only on some accounts ?

Thanks,

Daniel

o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o
|   Daniel Clar          	    	   e-mail : [email-masked]  |
|   Computer Operations Manager			  : [email-masked]	    |
|   Service Informatique Supelec                    and                     |
|   Plateau de Moulon                            DECUSF::CLAR_D or          |
|   91192 Gif sur Yvette Cedex - France           [email-masked]      |
|   Tel : (33 1) 69 85 14 87        	   Fax : (33 1) 69 85 12 34         |
o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o

---

From: Bernhard Rosenkraenzer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 1998 18:29:46 +0200 (CEST)

> command is not working while the ls command is working fine.

The users are *REALLY* restricted to their own directory; they can't
access an ls command outside of their directories.
Make sure they have a working and statically linked ls in their
directories. (or move to BeroFTPD 1.1.10 which implements ls internally).

LLaP
bero

-- 
Windows 98 supports real multitasking - it can boot and crash simultaneously.
***
Anyone sending unwanted advertising e-mail to this address will be charged
$25 for network traffic and computing time. By extracting my address from
this message or its header, you agree to these terms.

---

From: Bob Luckin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 98 14:06:56 CDT

Daniel a dit :-

> Why only on some accounts ?

It depends on which ftp client they are using.  Some clients send the
command LIST when the user types "ls", while some send NLST.  The NLST
command causes the wu-ftpd server to run some in-line code to generate the
directory list, while the LIST command causes it to run an external "ls"
command.

If the external "ls" command and any required libraries are not visible
from the user's chrooted home directory, the external call will fail and
no listing will be returned.

But users whose clients issue the NLST command will still work, because
this runs the built-in code.

In my experience, "ls -l" or "dir" always causes the client to send LIST to
the daemon, and so the users who are lucky enough to have "ls" work can
still experience the same problem with "dir".

The solution is to make sure that the "ls" binary (and any libraries it is
dependent on) is in the correct location uder the user's chrooted home
directory.

Cheers, Bob
-- 
Bob Luckin      [email-masked]      "Coder adapt.  FTP Ada, redo C"
                                 [http://www.dhc.net/~luckin/palindromes.html]