Subject: ftpaccess - strange games

From: Tomasz Rys <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1998 16:52:19 +0200

Dear All,

I spent some significant amount of time trying to find out why my
ftpaccess commands are ignored ... and I do not know.

system: x86 solaris 2.5.1

we use WU-FTPD 2.4 but now we want move to 2.4.2 With 2.4 we did not
have any major problems (at least as we take ftpaccess into account). We
tested 2.4.2 13,15,18 with compilers GNU2.7.2, GNU2.8.1, original SUN
Workshop 3.0 - result is the same even "-a" is used. "-d" works well but
I do not see any information in debug file about processing ftpaccess
file - only commands are registered.

At current stage I am not able to determine if ftpaccess is used or
commands on it are wrong (it is exactly the same file at it works fine
for 2.4). "banner", README, "message" are not processed - even - as I
said - in 2.4 everything is OK.

ckconfig shows that files are in proper location.

Any ideas?

Best Regards,
-- 
*------------------------------------------------------------------*
+ Tomasz Rys, Clico Hi-Tech Software Promotion Center, Ltd.        +
+ Al. 3-go Maja 7, PL30-063 Krakow, Poland                         +
+ E-mail: [email-masked] Tel: (+48)12-6325166, 12-6343422     +
+ Fax: +48 126323698, Ftp.clico.pl, http://www.clico.pl/           +
+ SunSoft, FTP Software, NetManage, Netscape, Informix, ...        +
*--Please include original in reply -Zalacz oryginal w odpowiedzi -*

---

From: Ted Keller <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1998 12:02:52 -0400 (EDT)

Make sure you have the -a switch on the ftpd startup line

ted keller - bfg.com

---

From: Tomasz Rys <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1998 18:24:06 +0200

Hi Ted,

as I mentioned in my e-mail - I have it.

thanks for reply.

regards,

> > Workshop 3.0 - result is the same even "-a" is used. "-d" works well but

                                            ^^^^

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1998 14:54:11 -0400 (EDT)

> > > ftpaccess commands are ignored ... and I do not know.

Check _again_ that you have the -a option on the command line in
/etc/inetd.conf

Make sure your inetd daemon is using the conf file by killing it with a
-HUP (signal 1, hangup).

Make sure the file is named correctly.  It's usually /etc/ftpaccess but
the actual name is in the source kit pathnames.h file.

Make sure the file is readable by everyone and owned by root.

Run the ckconfig command included in the source kit to check that
everything else is good to go.

----

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195

---

From: Raymond Miecznik <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1998 12:33:09 -0700

I am new to wu.ftpd, was isntalled by default, I read the wu.ftp web page
and have learned a lot, but I still do not know what to type in order to
check the version that I have, because I want to make sure that I am using
the latest one.

I am using slackware linux.

Raymond Miecznik   www.electronics2000.com

--
Electronisc2000.com - http://www.electronics2000.com

Well, let's just say, 'if your VCR is still blinking 12:00, you
don't want Linux'.

"Windows is packaged with Solitaire (ooh)!
Linux is distributed with Doom ... you can have your deck of cards,
I'll take a chainsaw!"

/root/.signature

---

From: Tomasz Rys <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 15:31:17 +0200

Hi Gregory,

comments bellow

> Check _again_ that you have the -a option on the command line in

ftp stream  tcp     nowait  root     /usr/sbin/in.ftpd -a -t3600 -d

"-d" works. Therefore, I assume that "-a" should also works

> Make sure your inetd daemon is using the conf file by killing it with a

that is obvious. I also see proper header:

220 solaris FTP server (Version wu-2.4.2-academ[BETA-18](1) Sat Aug 22
15:56:24 MET DST 1998) ready.

> the actual name is in the source kit pathnames.h file.

# ls -l /etc/ftpaccess
-rw-r--r--   1 root     other        801 sie 22 16:25 /etc/ftpaccess
#

I did not change and examine pathnames.h intensively. I assume that
ckconfig is looking for files to be placed in proper directory.

> Make sure the file is readable by everyone and owned by root.

see above

> everything else is good to go.

solaris% ./ckconfig
Checking _PATH_FTPUSERS :: /etc/ftpusers
ok.

Checking _PATH_FTPACCESS :: /etc/ftpaccess
ok.

Checking _PATH_PIDNAMES :: /var/adm/ftp.pids-%s
ok.

Checking _PATH_CVT :: /etc/ftpconversions
ok.

Checking _PATH_XFERLOG :: /var/adm/xferlog
ok.

Checking _PATH_PRIVATE :: /etc/ftpgroups
I can't find it... look in doc/examples for an example.
You only need this if you want SITE GROUP and SITE GPASS
functionality. If you do, you will need to edit the example.

Checking _PATH_FTPHOSTS :: /etc/ftphosts
ok.
solaris% 

I still do not have idea what is wrong. As I said - with 2.4 we do not
have any problems (at least on the "-a" option field).

regards,