Subject: Linux Problem

From: "Oliver Ro�bruch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 09:38:06 +0200

Hi

I'm using SUSE Linux 5.3 with shadow passwords and WU-FTP 2.6.0.

I tried to follow the FAQ:

3.wu-ftpd doesn't use the shadow passwords on my Linux machine.

          Since older Linux distributions (around libc.5.3 this got
fixed) don't include shadow passwords, wu-ftpd
          assumes Linux does not have shadow passwords. To compile for
shadow passwords with Linux :

               Get the shadow.h from the latest shadow package.
               After building the shadow package, you have a
libshadow.a.
               Copy shadow.h to the src dir.
               Copy libshadow.a to the support dir.
               Edit src/config.h to say '#define SHADOW_PASSWORD'
instead of #undef.
               Edit the LIBES line in src/Makefile to read :
               LIBES = -lsupport -lbsd -lshadow

          Modify src/ftpd.c around line 1061 to read :

                  xpasswd = pw_encrypt(passwd, salt);

I found and copied the shadow.h to the src dir but I couldn't find the
libshadow.a.
I changed the Line in /src/config.h but I coudln't find the LIBES line
in src/Makefile
and the xpasswd command in src/ftpd.c

What should I do?

Thanx.

bye

Oliver

--
*********************************
aixTeMa Digitale Lösungen GbR
Oliver Roßbruch
Lütticher Str. 10-12
52064 Aachen
Germany
Tel.: +49 241 70515-35
Fax: +49 241 70515-15
mailto:[email-masked]
http://www.aixtema.de
*********************************

---

From: Koos van den Hout _U nix and we all_ <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 11:05:20 +0200 (MET DST)

> and the xpasswd command in src/ftpd.c

current Linux Makefile:

# select based on type
AUXLIBS  := $(shell if [ -f /usr/lib/libcrypt.a ]; then echo "-lcrypt"; \
              else if [ -f /usr/lib/libshadow.a ]; then echo "-lshadow";
\
              fi ;fi)
LIBES    = -lsupport ${AUXLIBS}

which is a very nice solution.

First try compiling without changed libraries and see if things work,
otherwise it _might_ be needed to get the shadow package (I would have
to look for the current location of that package).

I'll adapt the FAQ (this is the great part about all the different Linux
dists).

                                     Koos

-- 
  Koos van den Hout,     Internetter, Unix freak, ISFJ and BBS SysOp at large
  [email-masked] (Work)                                Fax: +31-30-2586290
  [email-masked] (Home)                      Workphone: +31-30-2586287
  http://web.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/   Looking for a license plate with "RFC 822"