Subject: BeroFTPD 1.1.8 released

From: Bernhard Rosenkraenzer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 1998 01:08:11 +0200 (CEST)

I've just released BeroFTPD 1.1.8 - this version adds a port of the
wu-ftpd VR6-patches as well as a few additions of my own.

This version is known to work on Linux and FreeBSD, should work on most
other systems as well.

As usual, it can be downloaded from
ftp://linux.net.eu.org/pub/BeroFTPD/
ftp://ftp.croftj.net/usr/bero/BeroFTPD/
ftp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/nir/ftp/servers/BeroFTPD/
ftp://sunsite.cnlab-switch.ch/mirror/BeroFTPD/

New features:
+ Integrate the wu-ftpd VR6 patches (ftp://ftp.vr.net/pub/wu-ftpd/):
  - Prevent NOOP resetting idle timer
  - Add -X command-line option and syslog option to log statement in
    ftpaccess
  - add new parameter to upload so admins can determine the permissions
    for any new directories
  - Move Linux to use POSIX regex included with the system
  - Added 'hostname' configuration statement
  - Shutdown warnings were not given to normal (non-anonymous) users on
    login
  - On the upload clause, 'no' should imply 'nodirs'
  - The noretrieve clause is extended to mark entire directories
    un-gettable
  - The upload clause is extended to allow '*' for <owner> and <group>
  - New ftpaccess clause 'nice' to adjust process priorities based upon
    the class
  - document guestserver, lslong, lsshort
  - Added -w and -W to enable (default, -w) or disable (-W) recording user
    login and logout for ftp sessions in wtmp
  - Added new command-line option -s/-S to run in standalone daemon mode
  - Added syslog messages for more stuff
  - Added MAPPING_CHDIR config option to support CWD working like cd
    command in most Unix shells; the PWD shown is the logical path rather than
    the physical path.
  - HELP PORT indicated only 5 bytes were needed.  Six are.
  - PASV mode was being reset by rejected PORT commands, and PASV mode
    wasn't reseting the state completely after setting up a data connection
  - Added 'defumask' to specify umask values by class in ftpaccess.
  - Provide address remapping for PASV mode to allow daemon to run behind
    IP-address translating firewalls
  - Add magic cookies so systems using quotas can show them to users via
    ftp message files
  - Add 'tcpwindow' to configure TCP window size for performance tweaking
  - Restrict throughput for network load management
  - Add message to show total traffic counts
  - Clean up some unneeded blank lines sent in responses
  - Change the defaults to deny upload, and other site-modification
    things, for anonymous users
  - Add 'anonymous-root' to select chroot directory based on class of
    anonymous user
  - Disallow UIDs and GIDs by numeric range
  - Add ability to force all UID/GID in a range to be treated as guests.
  - The daemon responded differently in some cases when it's denying
    access
  - Fix handling for the message clause so login and cwd= work as expected
+ Modify the VR-6 patches so anonymous-chroot works for virtual hosts
* Fix several bugs in the VR-6 patches that prevented from compiling
  correctly under some circumstances/on some OSes
+ Add -p command line option to allow ftpd to run on different ports.
  With this, it can be run by an ordinary user on an unprivileged port
  in a future version (once we can disable seteuid() calls).
* Add configure switches for new features
+ documentation upadtes

LLaP
bero

-- 
Windows 98 supports real multitasking - it can boot and crash simultaneously.
***
Anyone sending unwanted advertising e-mail to this address will be charged
$25 for network traffic and computing time. By extracting my address from
this message or its header, you agree to these terms.