Subject: Re: guestgroup fishtank system..

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 22:36:46 -0500 (CDT)

As requested explicitly in the guest howto, please send all queries or
replies solely to the list and not to me alone. 

On Tue, 18 Aug 1998 [email-masked] wrote:

> Okay, tried all that 
> re-reading the guest-faq,
> installing the new beta,
> making the needed libraries w. ls in them (hadn't done that before)

I hope you mean making ls with the needed libraries in them.

> so as it stands now I have a home dir of eric (user) that has a bin/etc
> directory with the real ls copied in. Still no go. If I login 'normally'

Are you absolutely certain that this is either a static ls or that all
libraries are in the chrooted tree?  If not, reread the guest howto. 

> with a full account where is that 'ls' taken from ?
> The usual /bin/ls or somewhere else?

As explained in the available resources, the chrooted ~/bin/ls. 

Keep reading the FAQ and guest resources.  You've missed one of the
documented points somewhere.  The guest howto is over three years old,
and no one has found it incomplete in a very long time.  I have a
standing invitation to anyone that finds it inaccurate or incomplete
to tell me how it can be improved, and I will correct it immediately.
The point here is not my pride, it is that the resources that several
of us have made available are complete enough to give you the answers
you need.

> Could tcpd have something to do with this?

No.

   -- Michael