Subject: Re: Problems build WU-FTPD in AIX 4.2.1

From: [email-masked] (Josef Siemes)
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 1998 16:34:45 +0200 (DFT)

> 
> This may be a dumb question, but I can't seem to find any info in WU-FTPD
> FAQ or in the documentation supplied with WU-FTPD. I downloaded the
> "latest" non-beta version "wu-ftpd-2_4-academ_tar". I don't wish to use a
> beta version. 

But you *should* use it, since 2.4 has various security holes that are fixed
in the latest betas. Even CERT recommends the so-called 'beta' versions
as a replacement for older vendor-supplied ftpd's (I just don't remember
the number of the advisory ...).

Keep in mind that not everything that is called 'beta' actually is in the
beta stage. In open-source packages this usually means 'there may be errors
in the package, but we still haven't found them', and not 'this crashes
when you poke it too hard', like e.g W98-Betas.

Josef

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 1998 13:12:02 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 3 Aug 1998, Kevin Bolton wrote:

> I'm using IBM's C compilier.

First guess, that's the problem.  Did you use `./build aix'?  Simply
running `make' won't cut it for wu-ftpd.

----

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195

---

From: "Kevin Bolton"<[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 1998 18:52:41 +0200

This may be a dumb question, but I can't seem to find any info in WU-FTPD
FAQ or in the documentation supplied with WU-FTPD. I downloaded the
"latest" non-beta version "wu-ftpd-2_4-academ_tar". I don't wish to use a
beta version. Compling the source produces the following error messages:

Making ftpd.
        cc -O -DDEBUG -I.. -I../support -L../support -c ftpd.c
"ftpd.c", line 276.55: 1506-280 (W) Function argument assignment between
types "
unsigned long*" and "int*" is not allowed.
"ftpd.c", line 283.56: 1506-280 (W) Function argument assignment between
types "
unsigned long*" and "int*" is not allowed.
"ftpd.c", line 1710.54: 1506-280 (W) Function argument assignment between
types
"unsigned long*" and "int*" is not allowed.
"ftpd.c", line 2482.60: 1506-280 (W) Function argument assignment between
types
"unsigned long*" and "int*" is not allowed.
     554  1500-010: (W) WARNING in main: Infinite loop.  Program may not
stop.
        cc -O -DDEBUG -I.. -I../support -L../support -c ftpcmd.c
"ftpcmd.y", line 371.18: 1506-045 (S) Undeclared identifier cmdtab.
"ftpcmd.y", line 383.26: 1506-045 (S) Undeclared identifier sitetab.
"ftpcmd.y", line 1057.36: 1506-280 (W) Function argument assignment between
 type
s "void(*)(int)" and "void(*)()" is not allowed.
"ftpcmd.y", line 1519.1: 1506-343 (S) Redeclaration of print_groups differs
 from
 previous declaration on line 683 of "ftpcmd.y".
"ftpcmd.y", line 1519.1: 1506-050 (I) Return type "void" in redeclaration
is not
 compatible with the previous return type "int".
make: 1254-004 The error code from the last command is 1.

However both "cmdtab" and "sitetab" seem to be defined. Is these some know
problem with AIX and WU-FTPD ?
I'm using IBM's C compilier.

Thanks in advance any help.
Kevin Bolton