Subject: port assignment

From: "joe turbulencia" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 1998 17:33:25 +0000

greetings!

could someone please tell me what source file i'd need to modify
to compile an ftpd that would make use of ports 420 and 421
instead of ports 20 & 21?   i already have the conventional ftpd
running but i am required to put a second ftpd (on the same
machine) that listens to the 'unconventional' ports.  the machine
is a sparc20 running sunos5.5.1.  

thanks!

j+

---

From: joe turbulencia <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 15:53:23 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 10 Aug 1998, Doug Courtney wrote:

> options. The first entry of the line references a key word like ftpd or
> wuftpd or whatever you want. That key word is then found in the
> /etc/services file. This is were the port assignments are made. You can
> change them in  the /etc/services file
> from 20 and 21 to whatever you want them to be.

	thanks, sorry for the much delayed reply.  a colleague did tell
	me that it is inetd that listens for connection requests and not
	ftpd.  it just calls ftpd afterwards.  i now have an ftpd that
	uses the conventional port numbers as well as one that uses
	ports 421 & 420.  good thing i didn't have to compile, but i did
	find the header file that had the port definitions used by
	getservbyname and getservbyport (/usr/include/netinet/in.h).