Subject: ftphosts problem

From: Mark <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 1998 19:16:59 -0500

I recently set up a small ftp server for a few friends and people I
work with and am trying to use /etc/ftphosts as a way to only allow
eacu user to login from a specified IP or IP range. The problem I'm
having is when I want to allow what is a basically anonymous login to
an account but deny access from certain IP's to that account, it
denies access from *all* IP's even if only one or two is specified in
/etc/ftphosts. Below is an example. In this case I would think that
this would allow access to the account debby from everywhere EXCEPT
205.252.234.222 but it doesn't. It completely blocks anybody from
logging into the debby account. 
deny
debby 205.252.234.222

On the other hand if I put something like this in ftphosts,

allow debby 203.23.42.44

deny debby 206.43.55.66

users can log into the account only from the 203.23.42.44 ip and no
others where I think it should be denying access only to the
206.43.55.66 IP. am I misunderstanding the usage and purpose of this
file? BTW all IP numbers I used here are not the real IP numbers I'm
trying to use. 
I am using  FTP server (wu-ftpd 2.6.0(1) under Linux Slackware 3.3 and
2.o.35 kernel. Any help is appreciated on this as I can't find any
info on my own so far. Thanks in advance

Mark Rotert