Subject: Weird Static LS Problem

From: Duncan Sterling <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 16:22:33 -0400 (EDT)

After having installed numerous restricted FTP accounts on a Solaris
server using a static version of LS, I'm encountering a very strange
problem.

After my latest installation, everything appeared to be OK, but when I
tested the RFTP account I had just created, LS didn't work. I should point
out that everything had been set up using a script that has worked
flawlessy for 20+ other RFTP account installs.

The symptoms are this: when the static LS is run from the command line, it
works fine, but when invoked by the RFTP user during an FTP session, it
not only doesn't work, but dumps core. 

Ideas, anyone?

TIA,

--Duncan

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 18:04:20 -0400 (EDT)

> not only doesn't work, but dumps core. 

Which program is dumping core?  wu-ftpd or ls?  Are there any syslog
messages which might shed light on things?

If wu-ftpd is working but ls is crashing;

 - can you enable command logging to see what's going on?

 - when you test with chroot from a command shell, you're using root's
   access permissions, is it possible there's a permissions problem you'll
   only see when it's not running as root?

----

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195