Subject: Current fixes and extensions for WU-FTPD 2.4.2-beta-18

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 1998 11:14:31 -0400 (EDT)

I want to thank [email-masked] for his solution to a long-
standing problem with the WU-FTPD daemon.  With his patches, the server
can now be used behind an IP-address translating firewall.

These patches presume VR3 and VR4 patches have already been applied.  The
patches, along with several other packages needed to build an FTP site are
available at:

    ftp://ftp.vr.net/pub/wu-ftpd/

There is also a pre-patched distribution at:

    ftp://ftp.vr.net/pub/wu-ftpd/wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-18-vr5.tar.gz

The FIXES file contents are:

----

This is a list of fixes to BETA 18 with VR4 applied from [email-masked]
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
The original idea for realpath when it was included in the source kit was
that it would provide missing functionality on systems where it was
missing or replace existing functionality on systems where it was already
present.  The VR patches presume the daemon will always use the included
realpath function.  This patch does that.  Discovered in testing. 

Limit PASV port ranges.  From a patch submitted to the mailing list by
[email-masked] on Feb 4, 1997.  A great deal of work making this more
general was done by [email-masked] in July 1998.  The
original patch, as well as leighfield's used random() to select the port,
which is probably a good idea, but didn't check for infinite loops when
none of the ports were available.  I punted and used a linear search to
avoid infinite loops, but this can slow down the daemon a bit.  Open to
suggestions for faster selection without infinite loops.

Provide address remapping for PASV mode to allow daemon to run behind
IP-address translating firewalls.  From a private discussion with
[email-masked] throughout July 1998.  If you use this with
virtual hosts, let me know how it goes; I think it works, but let me know
if it needs extensions for virtual hosts. 

Add magic cookies so systems using quotas can show them to users via ftp
message files.  From a patch submitted to the mailing list by
[email-masked] on May 6, 1997.  This closes Stan's TODO item 15. 
Added support for Linux.  This patch is experimental and only available
for the following systems: aix bdi dec lnx s41 sgi If you try it and it
works, let me know.  If you add support for other systems, let me know. 
Updated man page for ftpaccess to document these cookies. 

Add 'tcpwindow' to configure TCP window size for performance tweaking. 
>From a patch submitted to the mailing list by [email-masked] on Sep
16, 1997. 

Restrict throughput for network load management.  From a patch sent to the
mailing list by [email-masked] on Jan 31, 1998. 

Add message to show total traffic counts.  From a patch sent to the
mailing list by [email-masked] on Jan 31, 1998.  Added file counts,
corrected missed bytes, added counts to STAT command.  This closes Stan's
TODO item 17.  Added deail counters and ftpaccess commands to limit the
user's ability to upload/download files based on these.  See 'file-limit'
and 'data-limit' in update ftpaccess man page.  This closes Stan's TODO
item 13. 

Clean up some unneeded blank lines sent in responses.  From a patch sent
to the mailing list by [email-masked] on Jan 31, 1998. 

----

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195