Subject: Re: Compression Question.

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 1998 09:34:51 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 4 Aug 1998 [email-masked] wrote:

> GET /tmp/file (This works and gets /tmp/file.Z)
> PUT /tmp/file (This does not recompress the file)
> 
> I have looked at both ftpaccess and ftpconversions which appear to be
> setup correctly. it does not matter whether I use compress or gzip, the
> uncompression works but the compression on upload does not. 

I don't believe on-the-fly anything on upload has ever worked.  Part of
the problem is how do we know you don't _want_ the plain-text /tmp/file
instead of an automatically compressed /tmp/file.Z?  Seems to me this is a
problem best handled in the client.

----

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195

---

From: Bob Luckin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 98 11:02:48 CDT

Mike,

> I am running 2.4.2 beta 17 (executables only) taken from the HP archive
> site (we are using HP-UX 10.20).
> 
> While on the fly uncompression of files works correctly, the server does
> not seem to recompress them when we upload the files back to the server.
> 
> I have looked at both ftpaccess and ftpconversions which appear to be setup
> correctly. it does not matter whether I use compress or gzip, the
> Can anyone help ?

This is the expected behaviour.  Since there is no way to tell the FTP server
whether you want a particular incoming file to be compressed or not, it makes
sense to assume you're shipping it up the way you want it to appear, so
that's what wu-ftpd does.

The compression will have to be done on the client side, before shipping.

(Theoretically, it would be possible to write a server that looks at the
file name specified for the server side, and if it ends in ".Z" or ".gz" or
whatever, it could analyse the incoming file and see if it is already
compressed and if not, run the appropriate program.  But then you'd have
the problem of how to tell if someone wants to upload a file ending in ".Z"
but not have it compressed...  There are ways round this too, but it's a
question of whether it's worth the development effort.)

Cheers, Bob

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 1998 09:15:08 +0100

Hi,

Can anyone help ?

Thanks - Mike