Subject: Problems with guest UID, GID, and welcome.msg

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 15:56:10 -0400 (EDT)

Hey all--

Banging my head for a while over this one. When I ftp in as a normal user,
I get the welcome message I set up and "ls -l" returns the files in the
directory with user and group id resolved to actual names. However, when I
ftp in as a guest (chrooted), I don't get the welcome message, and an 
ls -l will return, for example:

total 42
-rw-rw-r--   1 737      2000       21192 Aug 20 18:55 foo.bar

I've got all the required files in /ftp/etc, all the devices in /ftp/dev,
and all libs in /ftp/usr/lib that the man page for ftpd describes.

Might anyone know what is happening here?

Here's a dump of my ftpaccess file:

class all real,guest *

guestgroup cust

limit   all   10   Any              /etc/msgs/msg.dead

readme  README*    login
readme  README*    cwd=*

message /users/ftp/welcome.msg  login  all         
message .message                cwd=*

compress        yes             local remote
tar             yes             local remote

log commands real
log transfers anonymous,real inbound,outbound

shutdown /etc/shutmsg

email [email-masked]

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

.Sarah

---

From: Bob Luckin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 98 15:26:17 CDT

Sarah asked :-
> Might anyone know what is happening here?

Although I don't use guestgroups, I think you'll find that you need the
relevant libraries etc. under the chrooted directory of the guest user.
So if the guest user is chrooted to their home directory (as opposed to /ftp),
these libraries are probably not available at the moment.

Depending on your OS, you can either copy them into the chrooted home
directory (a bit of a pain if you have lots of chrooted users), or use a
loopback mount of the relevant directpries to make them available, which
saves space if you have a lot of guest users.

I hope this helps...

Cheers, Bob
-- 
Bob Luckin      [email-masked]      [http://www.dhc.net/~luckin/palindromes.html]
     "Emit no data, coder ?  Adapt !  FTP Ada, redo C a tad - on time..."

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 17:40:27 -0400 (EDT)

> these libraries are probably not available at the moment.

Actually, it sounds like you've got everything set up correctly except one
point: no entries for those UID/GID values in the local etc/passwd and
etc/group files.  Either that or you're using GNU fileutils' ls which has
some problems if you don't get everything right in the bin and lib
directories.  I found that I could solve my GNU ls problem by recompiling
to the lastest version and linking it statically.

----

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195