Subject: Group Permissions using GROUP and GPASS

From: Yilmaz Oztanir <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 1998 10:34:14 +0100

Hi

I am having a few problems getting special GROUP users to use their
directories. I have made a real group

(/etc/group) and have mirrored them in ftpgroups so I can log in using
GROUP and GPASS. This works, but when I log in as this group, I cannot
access any directories owned by this group, i.e.

site group test

200 Request for access to group test accepted.

ftp> site gpass test

200 Group access enabled.

ftp> ls

200 PORT command successful.

150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for /bin/ls.

total 20

dr-xr-xr-x   9 0
1            512
Jul 22 09:19 .

dr-xr-xr-x   9 0
1            512
Jul 22 09:19 ..

d--x--x--x   2 0
1            512
Jul 21 16:08 bin

dr-xr-xr-x   2 0
1            512
Jul 21 17:03 dev

drwxrw----   2 0
21           512 Jul
22 09:19 dist

d--x--x--x   2 0
1            512
Jul 29 15:19 etc

drwx-wx-wt   2 0
1            512
Aug  3 11:51 incoming

lrwxrwxrwx   1 0
1
9 Jul 21 17:07 lib -> ./usr/lib

drwxr-xr-x   4 100      1
512 Jul 30 15:12 pub

dr-xr-xr-x   3 0
1            512
Jul 21 16:15 usr

226 Transfer complete.

ftp> cd dist

550 dist: Permission denied.

As you can see, the dist directory is owned by the group I
log in as (group 21). Why is it that I cannot access it.

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 1998 09:29:40 -0400 (EDT)

The /etc/group and /etc/ftpgoup files are completely different.  The
manpage for ftpaccess contains the layout for /etc/ftpgroups.

On Tue, 4 Aug 1998, Yilmaz Oztanir wrote:

> <P>I am having a few problems getting special GROUP&nbsp;users to use
> their directories. I have made a real group <BR>(/etc/group) and have
> mirrored them in ftpgroups so I can log in using GROUP&nbsp;and GPASS.
> This works, but when I log in as this group, I cannot access any
> directories owned by this group, i.e. 
> 
> <P><TT>site group test</TT>
> <BR><TT>200 Request for access to group test accepted.</TT>
> <BR><TT>ftp> site gpass test</TT>
> <BR><TT>200 Group access enabled.</TT>
> <BR><TT>ftp> ls</TT>
> <BR><TT>200 PORT command successful.</TT>
> <BR><TT>150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for /bin/ls.</TT>
> <BR><TT>total 20</TT>
> <BR><TT>dr-xr-xr-x&nbsp;&nbsp; 9 0&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
> 1&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 512
> Jul 22 09:19 .</TT>
> <BR><TT>dr-xr-xr-x&nbsp;&nbsp; 9 0&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
> 1&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 512
> Jul 22 09:19 ..</TT>
> <BR><TT>d--x--x--x&nbsp;&nbsp; 2 0&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
> 1&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 512
> Jul 21 16:08 bin</TT>
> <BR><TT>dr-xr-xr-x&nbsp;&nbsp; 2 0&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
> 1&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 512
> Jul 21 17:03 dev</TT>
> <BR><TT>drwxrw----&nbsp;&nbsp; 2 0&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
> 21&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 512 Jul
> 22 09:19 dist</TT>
> <BR><TT>d--x--x--x&nbsp;&nbsp; 2 0&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
> 1&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 512
> Jul 29 15:19 etc</TT>
> <BR><TT>drwx-wx-wt&nbsp;&nbsp; 2 0&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
> 1&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 512
> Aug&nbsp; 3 11:51 incoming</TT>
> <BR><TT>lrwxrwxrwx&nbsp;&nbsp; 1 0&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
> 1&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
> 9 Jul 21 17:07 lib -> ./usr/lib</TT>
> <BR><TT>drwxr-xr-x&nbsp;&nbsp; 4 100&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 1&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
> 512 Jul 30 15:12 pub</TT>
> <BR><TT>dr-xr-xr-x&nbsp;&nbsp; 3 0&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
> 1&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 512
> Jul 21 16:15 usr</TT>
> <BR><TT>226 Transfer complete.</TT>
> <BR><TT>ftp> cd dist</TT>
> <BR><TT>550 dist: Permission denied.</TT>
> 
> <P>As you can see, the <TT>dist</TT> directory is owned by the group I
> log in as (group 21). Why is it that I cannot access it.</HTML>> 

Once you've set upyour ftpgroups and added private yes to ftpaccess, at
this point

quote SITE GROUP <ftp-groupname>
quote SITE GPASS <passwd-for-ftpgroup>

where <ftp-groupname> is a wuftpd-only groupname mapped to a Unix name by
/etc/ftpgroups, using the wuftp-only password given in the /etc/ftpgroup
file.

----

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195