Subject: authentication & NIS ?

From: Karl Hanzel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 12:08:19 -0600 (MDT)

How does wu-ftpd (i have the latest/greatest) perform authentication on a
host that relies upon NIS for userid/passwds?  Is it manditory that an ftp
user be in the local /etc/passwd file, or is authentication handled in the
regular manor of consulting the NIS-savy system calls?

I ask because an older version (2.4) authenticated users w/o problems, but
the new beta (2.4.2-beta-18) is failing to authenticate legit users.
Everything else is the same config-wise.  This is on HPUX_10.20.

Thanks
*----->

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 14:51:20 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 31 Aug 1998, Karl Hanzel wrote:

> I ask because an older version (2.4) authenticated users w/o problems,
> but the new beta (2.4.2-beta-18) is failing to authenticate legit users. 

I don't use NIS, but it appears to me that the daemon assumes the
getpwnam() function, etc., can handle NIS.  Perhaps you just need to
re-link with the correct libraries?

----

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195