Subject: latest beta (2.4.2-beta-18) under Solaris 2.6

From: Karl Hanzel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 13:30:59 -0600 (MDT)

Hello -

I just built the latest beta (2.4.2-beta-18) under Solaris 2.6.  The build
itself seemed to go just fine, but the resulting ftpd is

1) failing to send the "banner" or "message" across the connection
2) failing to log anything in the XFERLOG or record in the PIDNAMESs

Our older v2.4 works fine with respect to the above, and i'm using the
same ftpaccess file for both.

'ckconfig' seems content with things.

ideas?

Thanks
*----->

---

From: Bernhard Rosenkraenzer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 22:22:26 +0200 (CEST)

> 2) failing to log anything in the XFERLOG or record in the PIDNAMESs

Did you enable ftpaccess usage by adding the -a parameter to inetd.conf?

LLaP
bero

-- 
Windows 98 supports real multitasking - it can boot and crash simultaneously.
***
Anyone sending unwanted advertising e-mail to this address will be charged
$25 for network traffic and computing time. By extracting my address from
this message or its header, you agree to these terms.

---

From: Karl Hanzel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 15:10:02 -0600 (MDT)

> Did you enable ftpaccess usage by adding the -a parameter to inetd.conf?

Chalk another one up to "RTFM!".  It works.  But then i fail to understand
why my previous version (v2.4 ... same man page) didn't require the '-a'.
Nor why the -a appears to activate logging as well.  Shouldn't that just
be the '-l'?

Whatever!  Thanks a bunch!

*----->

---

From: Bernhard Rosenkraenzer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 17:14:27 +0200 (CEST)

> why my previous version (v2.4 ... same man page) didn't require the '-a'.

At that time, -a was assumed by default, and you had to specify -A to
NOT use ftpaccess.
Whether this change makes much sense or not is entirely a matter of taste
- I think it doesn't.

> Nor why the -a appears to activate logging as well.  Shouldn't that just

What kind of logging are you talking about?
Lines like
Aug 28 17:09:23 k6 BeroFTPD[5399]: connect from 127.0.0.1
are created by inetd rather than anything else.
Logs to xferlog etc. can be activated in ftpaccess - if you don't want
them, modify the ftpaccess file.

LLaP
bero