Subject: Academ version of wu-ftpd 2.4 Release 2 Beta 18 available for testing

From: [email-masked] (Stan Barber)
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 1998 04:21:37 -0500 (CDT)

BETA 18 is now available. It has been tested on the following systems:

BSD/OS 3.1
BSDI BSD/386 1.1
FreeBSD 2.2.6-RELEASE
Slackware Linux 96 (3.1)
Slackware Linux 3.3
Redhat Linux 4.2
Redhat Linux 5.0
SCO Open Server 5
Solaris 2.4 x86 (gcc  2.7.2.1)
Solaris 2.5.1 x86 (gcc  2.7.2.3)
Solaris 2.5.1 sparc (SunC  3.0.1)
Solaris 2.6 sparc (SunC 3.0.1)
Solaris 2.6 sparc (gcc  2.7.2.3)
Solaris 2.6 x86 (gcc 2.7.2.3)
SunOS 4.1.4 sparc (bundled cc)
UnixWare 2.1.1 

I would like to hear from folks with access to HP-UX, Digital Unix, IRIX
and AIX in particular. Please send mail to the [email-masked]
address. 

If hardware companies wish to donate equipment running their proprietary
UNIX derivatives to me for doing maintenance work on this and the other
packages I maintain (NNTP, RN, etc), please contact me directly to discuss.

If software companies that sell UNIX derivatives I don't to which I don't
have access wish to donain copies of their UNIX derivative to me for the
purposes of doing maintenace work on this and the other packages I maintain,
please contact me directly to discuss.

This is a release candidate. The release of 2.4.2 will be on or about
September 7, 1998 should no significant issues be turned up in this beta.

The location is: 
	ftp://ftp.academ.com/pub/wu-ftpd/private/wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-18.tar.Z

NOTE: This directory is protected. Attempts to use a directory listing 
command will fail.

You can also check http://www.academ.com/academ/wu-ftpd for more information.

** FIXES IN THIS RELEASE**
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 313 from Thomas Palmieri <[email-masked]> reports a problem
with the handling of standard error messages from programs called during
the file conversion process. This has been fixed in this release.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 570 from Ian Willis <[email-masked]> offers a possible fix for ticket 
313. This fix is included in this release. Preliminary testing indicates
that this does indeed fix ticket 313.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 578 from Theo Van Dinter <[email-masked]> reported a problem where
ftpd would exit with signal 11. This has been fixed in this release.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 587 from Piete Brooks <[email-masked]> notes that RFC 931
calls will fail due to wu-ftpd failing to bind to the correct address on
multi-homed hosts. His suggested fix to authuser.c is included in this release.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 588 and 589 from Steven Boswell <[email-masked]> offered a fix for
processing of the %U directive when the user is unknown. This is included in
this release.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 599 from Greg Sylvain <[email-masked]> and Ticket 687 from
Eiji Kuramoto <[email-masked]> provided a series of patches to address
the frequent issue concerning what "cd ~" should do. This functionality has
now been implemented using a different approach. The alternate behavior can be
obtained by defining ALTERNATE_CD in the root-level config.h file.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 603 from Christos Zoulas <[email-masked]> contained the changes
necessary for s/key support on NetBSD. These are untested, but are included
in this release.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 608 from Ian Willis <[email-masked]> notes there are problems in the
"limit" processing that were introduced in beta-16. It also fixes some
output formatting for ftpwho.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 609 from Ian Willis <[email-masked]> notes that ftpcount does not
always work correctly due to permissions problems on the login database
file that ftpd maintains. He has provided some fixes for this problem which
are included in this release.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 614 from Paul Borman <[email-masked]> provided a variety of patches
for BSD/OS including support for BSD authentication. These changes are 
included in this release. Paul claims that this should work on FreeBSD as
well, but I have not altered the FreeBSD configuration to make use of this.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 620 from Ian Willis <[email-masked]> notes ftpcmd.y does not have
Null checking in certain places. The changes he has suggested are included.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 626 from Ian Willis <[email-masked]> offered a change to address some
misplaced or missing calls to alarm(0). This patch is included in this release.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 640 from Gjermund Sxrseth <[email-masked]> noted a documentation 
error in describing the impact chroot has on hard links. This error has been
corrected in this release.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 642 from Emil Isberg <[email-masked]> provided a small fix
to the "build" script to make it format the error message properly when 
multiple compile targets are provided.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 631 from Jorg Bielak <[email-masked]>, Ticket 644 from Greg 
<[email-masked]> and Ticket 692 from Brian O'Neill <[email-masked]>
says that there is a problem in the output of the ftpcount command. This has 
been addressed in this release.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 647 from Paul Forgey <[email-masked]> noted that NO_PRIVATE was
not explicitly defined or undefined in config.h. This is now corrected.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 652 from Duncan McEwan <[email-masked]> offered an alternative
strategy for using bigcrypt() on C2 Security on Dec OSF/1. This is included
in this release (though untested since I don't have that Operating System).
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 658 from Rob Parry <[email-masked]> suggested that
_LARGE_FILES should not be defiend for AIX 4.2 builds. I have changed the
config.h file for aix to do this for AIX 4.2. I don't have AIX, so I don't
know if this will work, but it's in there.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 662 from John Schulien <[email-masked]> offered some changes to make it
easier to compile of AIX 4.2. I don't have AIX, but have included them in
this release. 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 674 from  Marc Evans <[email-masked]> send some changes for
DEC UNIX. These are included, but are untested since I don't have DEC UNIX.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 683 from Christer Holgersson <[email-masked]> noted
that the home directory finding routing in glob.c would not return the
right stuff when the "/./" convention is used for guest users. This is
fixed in this release.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 685 from Eiji Kuramoto <[email-masked]> noted a problem with
the STAT command (see ticket 706) when in Passive mode. This is fixed in this
release.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 704 from Blayne Puklich <[email-masked]> noted that on SGI
initsetproctitle causes problems. I don't have an SGI to test the fix on,
but I have attempted to address it in this release.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 705 from Ofer Licht <[email-masked]> noted that wu_logwtmp does
not include the username when a logout record is written. He provided some
patches to change this. They are included in this release.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 706 from  Kirk Shipley <[email-masked]> offered up some more
portability changes for HP/UX, which are included. Additionally, he provided
some bug reports concerning the output from the STAT command (when a data
connection exists) and on initsetproctitle. These changes are included in
this release.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 710 from David R. Linn <[email-masked]> lamented that SITE
CHMOD would accept values greater than 777. Now. you can. Just define
UNRESTRICTED_CHMOD in the root-level config.h file.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 718 from David Quarterman <[email-masked]>, Ticket 732 from
Jim Stosick <[email-masked]>, Ticket 738 from David R. Linn
<[email-masked]>, Ticket 739 from Glenn Matthew Gebhart 
<[email-masked]>, Ticket 740 from Maurice Richard <[email-masked]>
and Ticket 756 from Shoichi Shibata <[email-masked]> noted that 
Solaris 2.5.1 on sparc would not correctly determine if the snprintf familiy
of library routines were to be linked from the C library or from the support
library. This version corrects that problem.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 722 from Laurent FACQ <[email-masked]>, Ticket 723 from Randy 
Blahut <[email-masked]>, Ticket 724 from Greg Waugh 
<[email-masked]>, Ticket 728 from Rodrigo Costa Colossi 
<[email-masked]>, Ticket 731 from Andy Igoshin <[email-masked]>, Tickets 733
and 749 from Simone Castellaneta <[email-masked]>, Ticket 750 from Jose 
Santiago <[email-masked]>, Ticket 752 from Stephen Costaras 
<[email-masked]>, Ticket 754 from Roscinante <[email-masked]>, Ticket
757 from Nicholas Crawford <[email-masked]>, Ticket 760 from Jorg Bielak 
<[email-masked]> and Ticket 762 from Uri <[email-masked]> noted that 
Linux releases other than RedHat 5.0 running kernels with versions greater 
than 2.0.31 would not compile properly. I believe this has been fixed in this
release.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 725 from Syunji NAGASIMA <[email-masked]> offered a fix 
for an "off by one" problem in the "limit" stanza of the ftpaccess file when
specific times are specified. That fix is included.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 729 from Richard Allen <[email-masked]> provided some fixes to make it 
easier to compile on HP/UX 10. These are includes, but I have no way to
test them since I don't have HP/UX.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 736 from Joshua Goodall <[email-masked]> offered a change that
would log information when a transfer data connection comes from somewhere
other than the address of the control connection.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 737 from C.J. Jardine <[email-masked]> pointed out some small bugs
in the software. Four of his fixes are included here. One of his changes
relates to the ALTERNATE_CD definition described in ticket 599. A second one
permits the daemon to make use of the -A option to /bin/ls when on Solaris 2.
A third change was to add "exit(0);" to the end of the ftpshut.c file. Finally,
the wrong error message would be returned when a write fails (during a PUT).
This is also fixed.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 745 from DeWitt Clinton <[email-masked]> suggested that something
more explicit be said about the impact of the existance of the shutdown
message file on the operational status of the server. I have added some
more information about this to the NOTES file.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 746 from Joe Gross <[email-masked]> notes that a variable does not
get properly defined if UPLOAD is not defined in config.h. His fix is included
in this release.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 753 from Stephen Costaras <[email-masked]> suggested some changes
in the installation process for Linux. Some of his suggestions are included
in this release.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 758 from Chris K. Young <[email-masked]> notes that the response
to the MKD command is not RFC 959 compliant. This fix is included in this
release.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 764 from Iouri Kharon <[email-masked]> noted that a number of
responses given by wu-ftpd were not compliant with RFC 959. I have audited 
this in the software and corrected as many as I can find. I welcome more
bug reports about this.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 767 from  Paul Whittenburg <[email-masked]> had a number of suggestions
for improvements in the build process for Solaris. his ideas have been 
included in this release.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 775 from  Jean-Francois Monnet <[email-masked]> offered some 
patches for addressing the "cd ~" issue. These patches are not included but
the issue has been addressed with the ALTERNATE_CD option.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I appreciate getting bug fixes or bug reports, but please read the bugs page 
before sending me a report of a bug already listed there. The URL is 
http://www.academ.com/academ/wu-ftpd/bugs.html.