Subject: Problem with Version wu-2.4.2-academ[BETA-18](1)

From: "Cassandra M. Perkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 12:43:11 -0700 (PDT)

I cannot get ftpd to work with my options in ftpaccess file.  I'm using
similar configuration files that I used with version 2.4.2(3).  Main
problems I've noticed is that my message file isn't shown on login and
ftpwho doesn't show any connections when connections are established.

The ftpaccess file I'm using is:

loginfails 2
class   subs   real,guest *
limit   subs   40   Any              /usr/local/etc/msg.dead
readme  README*    login
readme  README*    cwd=*

message /usr/local/etc/msg.welcom            login
message .message                cwd=*
deny    !nameserved     /usr/local/etc/msg.deny.dns

compress        yes
tar             yes
private yes

log commands real
log transfers real inbound,outbound          

shutdown /etc/shutmsg

email [email-masked]  

path-filter     real    /usr/local/etc/pathmsg  ^[-A-Za-z0-9._]*$ ^\. ^-
------------------
Any suggestions?  

Thank you.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Cassandra M. Perkins		     | People usually get what's coming to |
| Network Operations		     | them... unless it's been mailed.    |
| The Loop Internet Switch Co., LLC  |		-fortune		   |
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Bob Luckin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 98 16:56:11 CDT

Cassandra,

> ftpwho doesn't show any connections when connections are established.

Somewhere along the way (I forget which version) the wu-ftpd switched from
reading the ftpaccess file by default, to not reading it by default.  My
guess is that your older version read it by default, and you haven't changed
the startup parameters to tell the new version to read it.

You can do this by supplying the parameter "-a".

Another possibility is that the default pathname for the ftpaccess file
in pathnames.h may have changed in the new version.  You might want to check
to make sure your ftpaccess file is in the expected place.

I hope this helps - good luck !

Cheers, Bob
-- 
Bob Luckin      [email-masked]      "I say ETA FTP ?  Me tempt fate, ya ?  Si !"
                                 [http://www.dhc.net/~luckin/palindromes.html]

---

From: joe turbulencia <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 17:54:17 -0400 (EDT)

> similar configuration files that I used with version 2.4.2(3).  Main

    - i think your beta18 ftpd was compiled to look for the ftpaccess
	file, etc  elsewhere. (i.e. different path)

> ftpwho doesn't show any connections when connections are established.

    - i think you're trying to use the ftpwho of the old ftpd.  you should
	have compiled a new set of binaries (ftpwho, ftpcount, ftpshut)
	for the beta18 ftpd.  if you do have these binaries, maybe $PATH
	is defaulting to the old ones.

---

From: [email-masked] (Josef Siemes)
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 23:58:28 +0200 (DFT)

> ftpwho doesn't show any connections when connections are established.

Seems your ftpaccess isn't used. Is ftpd started with option '-a'?

See details in the faq:  http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/

Josef

---

From: "Cassandra M. Perkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 18:25:42 -0700 (PDT)

The "-a" option worked.  The man page for ftpd list that option as an
address binding parameter.  I guess that will get changed later.

Thanks Josef.