Subject: about ftphosts file

From: Tan Jian <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 12:49:35 +0900

Hi,everyone:

I want to limitate anonymous ftp access from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, then

I edit my ftphosts file, shown below:

#ftphosts
allow    *     *
deny     ftp    xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
deny    anonymous    xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
( xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx means a fixed IP address)

My system is SunOS5.5.1 and ftp version is wu-ftp2.4,

(I think it is unnecessary to restart ftpd after revising ftphosts,)

nothing occurs. it seems that the ftphosts file did not take effect.

Is my file format incorrect?

hope to get your solution1

regards
kevin

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 08:28:39 -0400 (EDT)

> Is my file format incorrect? 

You can use 'man ftphosts' to see for yourself.  The manpage doesn't say
'*' is allowed as a username, so I'd have to check the source code to see
what's up with that.  The deny lines look OK to me.

Personally, I'd use ftpaccess and 'deny' specific hosts there.  That way I
can display a short message about _why_ they're being denied.

You're running an ANCIENT version of wu-ftpd and I strongly recommend you
upgrade to the most recent version (2.4.2-beta-18) as soon as possible.
There are a large number of severe security problems corrected since
version 2.4 was released several (five?  six?) years ago.

The location of the latest version of wu-ftpd can be found in the 
directory
 
      ftp://ftp.academ.com/pub/wu-ftpd/private/
 
You can't see the directory contents, so read the message informing you
of the actual filename to retrieve. It's there.
 
wu-ftpd Resource Center:  http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/
wu-ftpd FAQ:              http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html
wu-ftpd list archive:     http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/mail-archive/

----

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195