From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 16:06:13 CDT

> I have setup wu-ftp on an HPUX 10.20 supporting virtual hosting. When a
> user tries to download a file directly from the browser (Internet
> Explorer) user it's unable to accomplish it. However, if you go to the
> directory first then it will let you download files with no problems. 
> 
> This is what happens on the syslog. 
> 
> VirtualFTP Connect to: 205.155.129.54
>  ftpd[16163]: USER anonymous
>  ftpd[16163]: PASS IE30User@
>  ftpd[16163]: TYPE Image
>  ftpd[16163]: PASV
>  ftpd[16163]: RETR /drivers/47xxdisk.exe
>  ftpd[16163]: CWD /drivers/47xxdisk.exe
> 
> What doesn't it retrieves the files first and then tries to do a CWD?

that looks like a client issue, not a server issue.  I would guess IE is
trying to CWD to it since it got an error RETReiving the file.

> What is PASV? 

PASiVe mode.  It's part of the protocol (see the RFCs) and tells the
server to sit waiting for an incoming connection from the client rather
than trying to connect outwards to the client. 

> I need to be able to pull the files directly from a web site.

You don't say what the problem is, so I'm guessing either the
file/directory '/driver/47xxdisk.exe' doesn't exist or isnot within the
chroot'd area the virtual server is serving.  Or, you're behind a firewall
and the address the daemon sent to the client in response to PASV is
wrong (you'll need to move outside the firewall if that's the case).

----

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195