Subject: Use of chroot in SCO r5

From: Christian Garcia Arellano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 1998 07:11:43 -0300

Hi! I'm new in the list. I was trying to make ftpd more secure, creating
a file /etc/ftpdir with users and directories there, and applying chroot
to those directories when the user logs on (like if they were anonymous
users, but with a special root for each user). I modified ftpd.c and it
worked well in AIX, but it didn't work in SCO r5. When it tries to
create the socket, it calls open("/dev/socksys"...) and it fails because
I have already changed the root, and the file /dev/socksys doesn't exist
any more.
Can anyone help me? Thanks in advance,

Christian Garcia Arellano
(from Argentina)

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 1998 11:13:17 -0400 (EDT)

> I have already changed the root, and the file /dev/socksys doesn't exist

Check out the guest howto in the FAQ, it will answer most of your
questions.  There are system-specific instructions in the FAQ as well.

The location of the latest version of wu-ftpd can be found in the 
directory
 
      ftp://ftp.academ.com/pub/wu-ftpd/private/
 
You can't see the directory contents, so read the message informing you
of the actual filename to retrieve. It's there.
 
wu-ftpd Resource Center:  http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/
wu-ftpd FAQ:              http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html
wu-ftpd list archive:     http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/mail-archive/

----

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195