Subject: there are %M connections allowed in banner....

From: Rocke Robertson 991-2604 UNTS <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 12:07:59 -0400 (EDT)

Why does %M produce (Max unlimited) on the login banner?

Stats Solaris 2.5.1/BETA 18.......

Part of what the sever generates for the welcome banner..
220---------------------------------------------------------------------
220-Hello localhost, there are 0 (max unlimited) users logged in at the moment.
220-Local time is: Wed Jul  8 12:02:24 1998
220---------------------------------------------------------------------

 # ftpcount
Service class local                -   0 users ( 30 maximum)
Service class remote               -   0 users ( 60 maximum)
[[email-masked]](/opt/src/wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-18/bin) # 

Part of the banner....

Hello %R, there are %N (max %M) users logged in at the moment.

Am I missing something obvious ?

---

From: Koos van den Hout _U nix and we all_ <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 18:28:20 +0200 (MET DST)

> Am I missing something obvious ?

Yes, sort of. All counts and maximums depend on which class the user is
in, and the class is unknown before login (since wu-ftpd takes
realuser/anonymous/guestuser as a variable for calculating which class a
user is in).

                                             Koos

-- 
  Koos van den Hout,     Internetter, Unix freak, ISFJ and BBS SysOp at large
  [email-masked] (Work)                                Fax: +31-30-2586290
  [email-masked] (Home)                      Workphone: +31-30-2586287
  http://web.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/   Looking for a license plate with "RFC 822"