Subject: Permissions on directories...

From: Marc Fournier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 1998 11:50:20 -0300 (ADT)

Morning...

	I may be missing something in the docs, but, from the docs, I can
set the permissions on a file being upload using the 'upload' directive,
but I can't seem to change the permissions on the directory.

	An application that we are using here (Norton Textra) needs to
create directories of 777 and files of 666 ... but I can't seem to figure
out how to change the directories :(

	Any help is much appreciated...

Thanks...

Marc G. Fournier                                 [email-masked]
Systems Administrator, Acadia University

  "These are my opinions, which are not necessarily shared by my employer"

---

From: Aaron Holtz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 1998 11:09:21 -0400 (EDT)

Marc,

	You'll need to check out Greg Lundberg's VR1 and VR2 patches.
Or you can just get Andy Church's patch at:  

ftp://achurch.dragonfire.net/wu-ftpd/mkdir.patch

However, I believe Andy's had a typo in it and it might be best to use
Greg's patch for now.  The only problem with the patch is that although it
adds an entry in the ftpaccess file for directory mode, the directory will
be owned by whoever created it.  This may not be a problem for you if your
ftp admin has nice privileges on the server.  However, if the admin for
the ftp site can only administer things via ftp, then you'll need to add a
'chown' statement in the source file right after the directory is created
to take advantage of that feature.  It took some working with Greg and
Andy for me to get all of the patches applied and working, but I have
things going if you need some assistance.  I applied the patches by hand
to the newvirt code, but I belive Greg and Andy's patches are for the
straight source of beta 15 or 17.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Aaron Holtz
First Network Group    "The First Name in Internetworking"
Manager, UNIX Systems Admin
Email:  [email-masked]
"We do these things not because they are easy, 
 but because they are hard."  -JFK
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Kevin Hoffer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 1998 10:58:55 -0400 (EDT)

The patch I got from Greg I am using for virtual FTP's but I believe it
can bet used anywhere.

I put a line like below in my ftpaccess file and it makes the owner of the
file whoever i tell it to be

upload  /home/wixom/ftp.wixomproducts.com /incoming yes wixom vwww 0600 dirs

so in this case it makes the user wixom and group vwww

Kevin

---

From: Marc Fournier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 10:26:21 -0300 (ADT)

> The patch I got from Greg I am using for virtual FTP's but I believe it

	Trick question next...where does one get this patch from? :)

thanks...

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 10:07:21 -0400 (EDT)

> 	Trick question next...where does one get this patch from? :)

I'm a day or two away from releaseing beta-18 versions of my patches. 
beta-17 versions are available at my ftp site: ftp://ftp.vr.net/ in the
pub directory. 

> > > ftp://achurch.dragonfire.net/wu-ftpd/mkdir.patch

Or use Andy's patch, which ISTR he's already updated for beta-18.

----

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195

---

From: Marc Fournier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 11:16:09 -0300 (ADT)

> beta-17 versions are available at my ftp site: ftp://ftp.vr.net/ in the

	Patch applied, but I must be missing something, as it isn't
working :(

	I added an entry of:

upload /home/centre/marc * yes marc centre 0666 dirs 0777

	but it continues to create as 755 ... and I do have it running
from inetd.conf with -a, so that it uses ftpaccess...

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 10:40:28 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 8 Jul 1998, Marc Fournier wrote:

> Patch applied, but I must be missing something, as it isn't working :(
> 
> I added an entry of:
> 

My chroot point is /home/users
My home directory is /home/users/./lundberg
I tried
  upload /home/users /lundberg* yes lundberg vrnet 600 dirs 771
and it did not chgrp from lundberg to vrnet nor did it set the mode to
771.  The umask is 022 and it created the directory 755.  This upload was
not matched.  So I tried
  upload /home/users/lundberg * yes lundberg vrnet 600 dirs 771
and it worked just fine when I created a directory.

I'd say the problem is a subtle syntax problem, possibly related to where
you're chroot'ing to and the home directory in one of the passwd files.
What version of wu-ftpd are you running?  If beta-18, did you enable
ALTERNATE_CD?

----