Subject: More current fixes for beta 18

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 12:19:35 -0400 (EDT)

Here's more bug fixes and enhancements to wu-ftpd 2.4.2 beta 18.  This set
of patches presumes my VR3 patches have already been applied.  Patches,
along with most of the other software needed to build an ftp site are
available via anonymous ftp from:

  ftp://ftp.vr.net/pub/wu-ftpd/

The FIXES file for VR4 follows:

This is a list of fixes to BETA 18 with VR3 applied from [email-masked]
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
The mod to realpath for VR3 wasn't complete.  This was mainly visible when
logging a deletion message.  Discovered in testing.

Added new command-line option -D to run in standalone daemon mode.  From
a patch by [email-masked] announced on the mailing list on May 30,
1996.  Cleaned up and updated manpage.  The original patch has problems
with syslog messages, which are fixed here.  Also added setproctitle to
the standalone mode.  This is a win for busy sites but not the big win
it could be if it pre-loaded the ftpaccess file into memory.  Also, at
this point, the standalone mode loses the tcpwrappers functionality which
is available when running from inetd.

Added syslog messages for more stuff.  MKD, RMD, CHMOD and RNTO now log
as DELE has.  Discovered in testing; this has always sorta bothered me.

Added MAPPING_CHDIR config option to support CWD working like cd command
in most Unix shells; the PWD shown is the logical path rather than the
physical path.  This is a Frequently Requested Feature.  From a patch by
[email-masked] announced on the mailing list on May 30, 1996.

HELP PORT indicated only 5 bytes were needed.  Six are.  Noticed when
looking for something else so I fixed it.

The following problems were noted during testing:
  - Issuing PORT prior to login changes the state of the daemon
  - Issuing PASV after PORT does not change the mode reported by STAT
  - Illegal PORT commands change the state of the daemon
This turned out to be two problems: PASV mode was being reset by rejected
PORT commands, and PASV mode wasn't reseting the state completely after
setting up a data connection.

Allow numeric UID and GID values.  On systems with large numbers of users
and a large number of upload clauses, the daemon can take a significant
period to process the ftpaccess, passwd and group files.  From a patch off
the mailing list from [email-masked] on July 29, 1997.  Extended
the patch to effect all places user or group names would be allowed: the
ftpgroup file used with the private clause and the upload, guestgroup and
autogroup clauses.

While I was working on numeric GID values for the ftpgroup file, I added
the ability to specifiy groups which have no password.  You'll still need
to SITE GPASS, but just send no password.  Also fixed possible bugs if the
ftpgroup file is malformed.

Added 'defumask' to specify umask values by class in ftpaccess.  From a
feature request from [email-masked] posted to the mailing list on Oct
10, 1994.  Man page updated.

----

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195