Subject: MGET and '*'

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 18:02:48 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

I have Version wu-2.4(84) running on Linux and when I log in
via ftp and try to download multiple files at once with 'mget *.html'
for instance, I get back the error message:

Bad directory components
can't find list of remote files, oops

What does this mean and how can I fix it. I need to be able to upload
multiple files at once also.

And while I'm here, can tar be placed in the ftp bin directory so
that tar can be executed on the remote server via ftp command line?

All comments appreciated.

Thanks!

--Paul T.

-- 
A duck's quack doesn't echo, and no one knows why.

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 06:22:05 -0400 (EDT)

> I have Version wu-2.4(84) running on Linux and when I log in

Upgrade to 2.4.2 beta 18, it'll fix a lot of problems and several rather
severe security issues.

> multiple files at once also.

This looks like a local ftp client issue instead of a daemon problem.  Can
you get a directory listing using 'ls'?  If not, this is a FAQ, correct
the daemon configuration.

> that tar can be executed on the remote server via ftp command line?

Yes, as well as compress and gzip.  The ls command must be there as a
minimum.

> All comments appreciated.

The location of the latest version of wu-ftpd can be found in the 
directory
 
      ftp://ftp.academ.com/pub/wu-ftpd/private/
 
You can't see the directory contents, so read the message informing you
of the actual filename to retrieve. It's there.
 
wu-ftpd Resource Center:  http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/
wu-ftpd FAQ:              http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html
wu-ftpd list archive:     http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/mail-archive/

----

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195