Subject: Re: virtual account support

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 12:48:09 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 10 Jul 1998, Jolly Roger wrote:

> i have some virtual webservers on my machine. one is for examle: 
> homepages.ibsd.net.  i like to set up a virtual ftp server with its own
> password file for the virtual ip homepages.ibsd.net. 

Read VIRTUAL.FTP.SUPPORT in the release kit.  If you need finer control,
NEWVIRT, available at the resource center, will do what you want.  There
are alternate solutions referenced (I believe) from the FAQ which handle
the issue by hacking inetd. 

Your problem with chroot and ls is a FAQ.

The location of the latest version of wu-ftpd can be found in the 
directory
 
      ftp://ftp.academ.com/pub/wu-ftpd/private/
 
You can't see the directory contents, so read the message informing you
of the actual filename to retrieve. It's there.
 
wu-ftpd Resource Center:  http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/
wu-ftpd FAQ:              http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html
wu-ftpd list archive:     http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/mail-archive/

----

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195

---

From: Jolly Roger <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 18:50:42 +0200

hi wuftpd developers,

i hope i got the right email.

my problem was:

i have some virtual webservers on my machine. one is for examle:
homepages.ibsd.net.
i like to set up a virtual ftp server with its own password file for the
virtual ip homepages.ibsd.net.

my solution

i added virtual ftp-account support to the wu.ftpd. it is possible to
specify a seperat password file and a user for any virtual machine. in
this password file contains usernames, passwords and directories. all
users logging onto the virtual machine get permissions of the specified
username for all accounts of the virtual server.

examle:

i added an account named "home" to the system.
i specify a password file under the home dir of home. in this password
file is a virtual user named "user1". the home directory in this
password file is set to "/home/home/user1"

to deny access for the virtual user (user1 is logging in) to the files
of the specified username (home), the root directory is limited to what
is given in the password file for the virtual user. (the virual user has
the specified user-access but is limited to his directory)

in this case: if user1 loggs onto the virtual ip, the root path for
user1 is /home/home/user1 the permissions are "home.users"

the only problem is: because of the rootpath limited to the virtual
user's dir, there is no access to the system's /bin/ls. therefore the
user doesn't get a directory.

the "home"-user can copy a bin and a lib dir with ls and libs to
/home/home/user1/*. i think there should be a better way for the wu.ftpd
to get access to the system's /bin/ls while having changed the root dir
to the /home/home/user1. i tried to change back to root permissions
while doing LIST command, but the chroot("/") will not change back to
the system's root. it will stay within the user1 dir.

i don't know if there is a good way of solving the problem. anyway i
think this is a good new feature. if you like to add this feature to the
wu.ftpd source, let me know. this feature can be enabled via #define
switch.

jolly