Subject: Strong Authentication

From: Robert Whitehouse <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 1998 16:00:11 +0100

I know that this probably breaks the FTP standard, but I would
really like a file transfer server that supports strong authentication
(e.g. CHAP).

Anybody else want to do this ?

Bob W

---

From: chuck <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 1998 14:44:38 -0400

> Anybody else want to do this ?

You mean like S/Key??  It's in there.  Now wouldn't it be cool
if "gui" ftp clients could recognize the s/key prompt and
pop open a window for the client.  Much like BetterTelnet for
the Mac does (when you connect, it pops open a windows for your
SKey password and replies with the correct response).

Or kerberos?  It's in there (at least kerb4, not gss-api/K5).

If I really need strong auth or encryption, I usually use ssh (scp).

---

From: Dan Stromberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 1998 11:58:47 -0700

> If I really need strong auth or encryption, I usually use ssh (scp).

How about ssl ftp?

Anyone have an ssl-extended version of wuftpd?  Any chance of
integrating such a thing into the main wuftpd sources?

(We use an ssl ftp around here quite often, but the ftpd is limited,
and...  it doesn't work well on irix.  It's fine on solaris, linux and
osf/1 tho)

---

From: Mike Linhart <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 1998 14:17:40 -0500 (CDT)

Hi,

I was looking for anyone who might have gotten wu-ftpd to
work in standalone mode?  I found a patch for 2.4.2 beta 13, but when
I try applying it to the release version of 2.4.2 beta13, I get an
error about certain files not being found in the src tree.

I need to do some ftp network speed tests on machines I do
not have root for.  I have been working with a wu-ftpd that
was modified for long tcp windows, but I need to run it on
a non-privileged port >1024 as a typical user.

I also thought I might be able to find an inetd source that I
could hack and get it to bind a high # port with wu-ftpd.
Sounds like a good idea?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks!  Mike Linhart
[email-masked]

---

From: Nathan Neulinger <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 1998 16:51:16 -0500

> Or kerberos?  It's in there (at least kerb4, not gss-api/K5).

Actually, I had posted a patch not too long ago that adds full kerberos 5 
gssapi authentication support (not just password verification) to wuftpd. 

-- Nathan

------------------------------------------------------------
Nathan Neulinger                       EMail:  [email-masked]
University of Missouri - Rolla         Phone: (573) 341-4841
Computing Services                       Fax: (573) 341-4216

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 1998 21:11:36 -0400 (EDT)

> could hack and get it to bind a high # port with wu-ftpd.

Actually, rolling your own inetd-ish program to wrap wu-ftpd should be
fairly easy, especially given the limited nature of what you're doing.
So, yeah, I'd say that's a good idea.  You will probably also have to do a
little hacking in the daemon's source code to force it to use
high-numbered ports as well.  All in all, this approach will probably be
faster than fixing the old patches so they work with the current code
base .. unless someone's already done the work.

----

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195

---

From: Dave Wreski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 1998 00:15:25 -0400 (EDT)

> Anybody else want to do this ?

I think wu-ftpd works with S/KEY as well as SecurID, but for a short-term
solution, why not just implement ssh, the secure shell, which has the
ability to copy files from one host to another, requiring both user and
host authentication.

Dave