Subject: Can't set guest privileges

From: Steve Robb <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 17:33:34 -0500

I have a 2.4.2-beta16 server running on a Solaris 2.5.1 platform that for
the last 6 - 8 months has been running just fine without any problems.
However, after a clean power down and restart (doing some other unrelated
maintenance in the area) all the guest groups are now denied access with a
'550 Can't set guest privileges' message. Any ideas on what might have been
impacted that would affect this. I've checked the FAQ's etc, but haven't
found any ideas yet. Any thoughts?  

TIA

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 10:06:37 -0400 (EDT)

> found any ideas yet. Any thoughts?  

Check /etc/inetd.conf to make sure you're using the ftpaccess file; is
there a -a on the command line?  Did the Unix group(s) which determine
that they are guest users get changed in some way?

I'd say your 'unrelated maintenance' was, in fact, related.  Go through
what you did and see what step may have effected the ftp site.

----

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195