Subject: WU-FTP/Solaris Shadow Passwords/SecurID

From: Tina Bird <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 1998 23:13:39 -0500

Hi all --

Anyone out there using WU-FTP with SecurID authentication?

I've got an ACE/Server (v 3.2.2); an ACE/Agent installed on Solaris
2.6 (we've verified that telnet authentication and authentication 
using the somewhat crippled SDI_FTPd daemon provided by Security
Dynamics both work, so it's not a problem with authenticating to the
ACE/Server); and a boatload of FTP clients (RedHat, Solaris, Win95).
The Solaris system with the agent installed is using shadow passwords.

We need some of the extended security features of WU-FTP, and we need
to authenticate FTP users with SecurID tokens.  So after much work
I wrangled a (probably proprietary) set of SecurID libraries and 
code out of Security Dynamics this afternoon; we compiled the code
on our Solaris server and it is now responding to FTP requests.

Non-SecurID authenticated users (i.e. users with static passwords) can
successfully log into the FTP server and get to their home directories
just fine.

SecurID users are prompted for their passcodes; they get the 
PASSCODE accepted message, immediately followed by "Login failed."

What little I've been able to find hacking through the archives suggests
that this might mean that WU-FTP has not been compiled with shadow
password support.  I can't find anything in the doc that is very
convincing -- the config.h file does include the line

#define SHADOW_PASSWORD

but the makefile does not include a call to the shadow library, or
anything else to suggest that it's been included.

Any ideas???

TIA (a lot) -- Tina Bird