Subject: problems with SVR4

From: Domingos Parra Novo <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 15:56:39 -0300 (EST)

I have installed wu-ftpd 2.4.2-18 in a unisys U6000/550 I
have(btw, it runs SVR 4.2). When I log with any user, it works nicely.
I can use ls, get and upload files(using tar or not, it don't
matters). But the problem is, when I log with an anonymous account, I
can't use any of these commands. I can only cd to directories.
	Ok, I know its lacking something like a device in /dev, but I
created the ftp home as the documentation said(puting /dev/tcp and a
bunch of libs in /usr/lib). I have even tried to create a directory
structure like the solaris do(with /dev/tcp, /dev/udp, /dev/ticotsord
and /dev/zero). I have even copied the whole /usr/lib to ~ftp/usr/lib
and it not worked.
	Well, I'm feeling like creating 3000 devices in my ~ftp/dev
directory. :)
	What I'm asking is: there is anyone using SVR4 with a
annonymous ftp account working?

	Thanks for your atention.

                        Domingos

--
  Domingos Parra Novo
  [email-masked]

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 15:33:29 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 23 Jul 1998, Domingos Parra Novo wrote:

> I have installed wu-ftpd 2.4.2-18 in a unisys U6000/550 I have(btw, it
> runs SVR 4.2). When I log with any user, it works nicely.  I can use ls,
> get and upload files(using tar or not, it don't matters).  But the
> problem is, when I log with an anonymous account, I can't use any of
> these commands. I can only cd to directories.

Can't help with SVR4, but question:  can you GET any files?  If not, you
have a permisions problem, and that's problably what also stopping the
ls/tar/etc from working.  Check that the ~ftp area is world-readable and
that the directories in it are world-executable:

chmod -R a=rX ~ftp

After that you should be able to retrieve files.  If it doesn't fix youe
other problems, _then_ you need to take a look at missing pieces and
parts.

----

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195

---

From: Domingos Parra Novo <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 16:38:22 -0300 (EST)

> Can't help with SVR4, but question:  can you GET any files?  If not, you

	Nope. But I can cd to any directory I want.

> that the directories in it are world-executable:

	I already checked that. My permissions are all ok. I have
checked the permitions of the mount point too(I have /home/ftp in
another partition then /home).

> other problems, _then_ you need to take a look at missing pieces and

	Thanks for your help anyways(btw, I tried your guess now too :).

OB: I asked help from the Brazilian Unisys support, and do you believe
don't don't make idea how to make the annonymous ftp home in the SVR4
environment? :)

                        Domingos

--
  Domingos Parra Novo
  [email-masked]