Subject: My local users are guest

From: [email-masked] (Daniel Clar)
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 1998 14:09:55 +0100

Hello,

Here are the few lines at the beginning of the /usr/local/etc/ftpaccess 
file :

class local real *.supelec.fr
class guest guest *
class anonymous anonymous *
......................

But when wy local users connect to the ftp server , they are considered as 
guest as indicated by the ftpwho command :

Service class local:
   -   0 users ( -1 maximum)

Service class guest:
 17919 ??       I        0:00.07 -pc.supelec.fr: cla (ftpd)
   -   1 users ( -1 maximum)

Service class anonymous:
.............

Some ideas on this ?

TIA

Daniel Clar

o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o
|   Daniel Clar          	    	   e-mail : [email-masked]  |
|   Computer Operations Manager			  : [email-masked]	    |
|   Service Informatique Supelec                    and                     |
|   Plateau de Moulon                            DECUSF::CLAR_D or          |
|   91192 Gif sur Yvette Cedex - France           [email-masked]      |
|   Tel : (33 1) 69 85 14 87        	   Fax : (33 1) 69 85 12 34         |
o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 1998 11:53:55 -0400 (EDT)

> class anonymous anonymous *

Suggestion: Use some other names so you don't get confused.

class lcl read      *.supelec.fr
class gst guest     *
class ann anonymous *

Now, to your problem, local users (those on the same machine as the ftp
server) will be gst because they are not from any machine in the
supelec.fr domain name.  They are from 'localhost'.  So you need to say: 

class lcl read      *.supelec.fr localhost
class gst guest     *
class ann anonymous *

Remember as well, that uses from machines on the local network(s) but
which are not DNS'd will not have the required domain name and will be
gst, so you may want to define a few IP-number based classes for them.

----

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195