Subject: anon ftp problem

From: Lonnie Sauter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 13:34:25 -0500 (CWT)

We are using wu-ftpd-academic 2.4.2-BETA 16 on a intel P-II Debian Linux
box as an anonymous ftp server.

For some reason one cannot see the list of files and directories.  This
only happens from certian clients.  For example if the client is running
on Solaris, DEC unix, DEC VAX, the listings show up.  If the client is on
an SGI, linux (x86 and alpha), or if using Netscape from any OS then the
listing does not appear.  

The weird thing is that you can still change directories and ftp files (of
course if you know the directories and files you want).

Any help on this would be appreciated. 

Thank you.

Lon

---
                     Lonnie Sauter
Department of Mathematics	http://www.math.ukans.edu/~sauter	
315 Snow Hall			(785)864-4075 Office
University of Kansas		(785)864-5255 Fax
Lawrence, KS  66045
---

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 15:02:52 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 22 Jul 1998, Lonnie Sauter wrote:

> on Solaris, DEC unix, DEC VAX, the listings show up.  If the client is
> on an SGI, linux (x86 and alpha), or if using Netscape from any OS then
> the listing does not appear. 
> 
> The weird thing is that you can still change directories and ftp files
> (of course if you know the directories and files you want). 

This is a FAQ.  Your ls command isn't set up correctly.  Also, you should
upgrade to beta 18.

The location of the latest version of wu-ftpd can be found in the 
directory
 
      ftp://ftp.academ.com/pub/wu-ftpd/private/
 
You can't see the directory contents, so read the message informing you
of the actual filename to retrieve. It's there.
 
wu-ftpd Resource Center:  http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/
wu-ftpd FAQ:              http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html
wu-ftpd list archive:     http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/mail-archive/

----

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195

---

From: Bob Luckin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 98 15:39:21 CDT

Lon,

> Any help on this would be appreciated. 

This is just a guess, but some clients use NLST for the ls command, and
some use LIST.  One of these causes wu-ftpd to run an internal ls, and the
other causes it to run an external one.  This may explain why Solaris etc.
work - they cause the inbuilt command to run.

You can test this by using dir instead of ls (on the Solaris client at
least), or "ls -l", as either of these should end up causing wu-ftpd to
run the external ls instead.  If this doesn't work, then you need to check
that the ls command and any required libraries are installed correctly under
the FTP root.

Good luck !

Cheers, Bob
-- 
Bob Luckin      [email-masked]      "Coder, adapt.  FTP Ada, redo C"
                                 [http://www.dhc.net/~luckin/palindromes.html]

---

From: Lonnie Sauter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 13:15:52 -0500 (CDT)

I can now get the listing (from various clients) if I type nlist, but ls, ls -l,
and dir do not return a listing.

I have checked this out.  They seem to be correct.  They are only linked
against libs which are in ~ftp/lib.

[ 13:13:27 : root@elrond :  ~ ]
(51) # ldd ~ftp/bin/ls
        libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x4000e000)
        /lib/ld-linux.so.2 => /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x40000000)
 [ 13:13:43 : root@elrond :  ~ ]
(52) # ls -l ~ftp/lib
total 802
-r--r--r--   1 root     root       164094 Jul 15 13:26 ld-linux.so.2
-r--r--r--   1 root     root       650904 Jul 15 13:26 libc.so.6
 
Thanks for your help.

Lon

===============================================================================
Lonnie Sauter
Lonnie Sauter <[email-masked]> http://www.math.ukans.edu/~sauter
315 Snow Hall
University of Kansas
Lawrence, KS  66045
fax (785)864-5255
===============================================================================

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 14:39:38 -0400 (EDT)

> against libs which are in ~ftp/lib.

This is a FAQ .. please RTFFAQ .. the answers _are_ in it.  'seem' is the
operative work here .. they aren't you just don't see why.  If you're
really stumped, just pitch the lot and build static binaries .. which is
also in the FAQ.

----