Subject: ftp restriction

From: Melissa Schiefer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 1998 15:58:13 -0700

I am trying to restrict a user to a DIRECTORY and its SUBDIRECTORY ONLY;
however, WU does not seem to be using the /etc/ftpusers file.  If I
enter the username and restrict, it makes no difference.  They can still
go to any directory they wish.

What am I doing wrong?

Melissa

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 1998 21:12:28 -0400 (EDT)

> go to any directory they wish.

What you want is a guest user.  See the guest howto referenced from the
FAQ.

The location of the latest version of wu-ftpd can be found in the 
directory
 
      ftp://ftp.academ.com/pub/wu-ftpd/private/
 
You can't see the directory contents, so read the message informing you
of the actual filename to retrieve. It's there.
 
wu-ftpd Resource Center:  http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/
wu-ftpd FAQ:              http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html
wu-ftpd list archive:     http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/mail-archive/

----

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195

---

From: Bob Luckin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 98 22:18:36 CDT

Melissa said :-
> go to any directory they wish.

I think you misunderstand what the ftpusers file is for.  The daemon is
supposed to deny access to any user name which is listed in the ftpusers file.

>From the ftpd man page included with the source distribution :-

Ftpd authenticates users according to four rules.
1) The user name must be in the password data base, /etc/passwd, or whatever
   is appropriate for the operating system, and the password must not be null.
   In this case a password must be provided by the client before any file
   operations may be performed.
2) The user name must not appear in the file /etc/ftpusers.
3) ... etc.

If you've put a username in this file and wu-ftpd is still allowing that
person to log in, it sounds like you have a separate problem...

To restrict users to a specific directory tree, you can use the guestgroup
feature, described in the ftpaccess man page, and the Guest How-To document
which is available on-line at
   http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/guest-howto.html

Good luck !

Cheers, Bob
-- 
Bob Luckin      [email-masked]      "Dick's attempt FTP met task CID"
                                 [http://www.dhc.net/~luckin/palindromes.html]