Subject: Re: limits the transfer speed

From: Oskar Pearson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 1998 17:35:16 +0200

Hi

> On Tue, 9 Jun 1998, Philip wrote:
> 
> > Is it possible to set a value of the maxiume transfer rate for a user.
> > Say the user only can transfer a file at 20k (bytest/second).

(Hey - the reply is only about a month late!) :)

I had a case where I needed to do this. I did it in a kludge
fashion, and I seem to remember someone having done it in a much more
elegant fashion.

This version only limits people per connection - you can't set overall
limits (so no info is shared between processes as to what you
are doing). I seem to remember someone doing stuff that sorted this
out so that you could specify overall bandwidth per class.

I have been running this on ftp.is.co.za for a loong time. It's running
linux - your milage will vary.

I am afraid I am on my way home, so I don't have time to
make a patch :( I have some other yucky gunge in this source.

To find my patches, look at ftpd.c - search for 'oskar'.

ftp://ftp.is.co.za/private/oskar/wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-15.speed.tar.gz

If there is actual demand for this I'll create a real patch. I'll also
try and find the old patch that does this in a nice way.

Oskar
---
"Haven't slept at all. I don't see why people insist on sleeping. You feel
so much better if you don't. And how can anyone want to lose a minute -
a single minute of being alive?"				-- Think Twice