Subject: FTP only shell

From: Ricardo Buchalla Auada <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 1998 23:43:00 -0300

Does anybody know how I can make a ftponly shell, or something like ?

Thanks,

Ricardo Auada

---

From: "Michael Niksch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 13:17:27 +0200

> Does anybody know how I can make a ftponly shell, or something like ?

ln -s /usr/bin/false /etc/ftponly

Then, add /etc/ftponly as a valid shell to you system configuration. In
AIX, you would add it to the 'shells' list in /etc/security/login.cfg.
I think other OS use something like /etc/shells or alike. The result is
that ftpd will allow you to login, but if you try to login otherwise,
e.g. via telnet, you'll get /usr/bin/false fired up as your 'shell',
which means you will be logged out again immediately.

-- 
Michael Niksch                     /Zurich/IBM @ Zurich @ IBM_Internal
IBM Zurich Research Laboratory     [email-masked] (NIK at ZURICH)
Saeumerstrasse 4                   http://www.zurich.ibm.com/~nik/
CH-8803 Rueschlikon / Switzerland  P: +41-1-724-8913 F: +41-1-724-8959