Subject: Directory Permissions

From: "Versed" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 1998 22:57:08 -0700

I am pretty new with Linux let alone wu-ftpd
I would like to have user 'Bob' have ftp access and only access his files
within his directories:
/bob/
/bob/incoming
But instead when logged in he can can go up the directory tree and have
carte blanc with the files in the root directory.
What do I need to do? and is there a way to make him "see" only his
directories and no others.

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 07:39:44 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 19 Jul 1998, Versed wrote:

> I am pretty new with Linux let alone wu-ftpd I would like to have user
> 'Bob' have ftp access and only access his files within his directories: 
> /bob/ /bob/incoming But instead when logged in he can can go up the
> directory tree and have carte blanc with the files in the root
> directory.  What do I need to do? and is there a way to make him "see"
> only his directories and no others. 

What you need is to set up a guestgroup for your users.  See the guest
howto in the FAQ. 

The location of the latest version of wu-ftpd can be found in the 
directory
 
      ftp://ftp.academ.com/pub/wu-ftpd/private/
 
You can't see the directory contents, so read the message informing you
of the actual filename to retrieve. It's there.
 
wu-ftpd Resource Center:  http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/
wu-ftpd FAQ:              http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html
wu-ftpd list archive:     http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/mail-archive/

----

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195