Subject: Error compiling wu-ftp in HPUX 10.20

From: "Fernandez, Elena" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 1998 10:15:32 -0400

Do you have any information on this error. Thanks

Making vers.o
        sh newvers.sh
        gcc -Dunix -D_HPUX_SOURCE -O -DDEBUG -I.. -I../support -L../support
-c v
ers.c
Make: Cannot load gcc.  Stop.
*** Error exit code 1

Stop.

        gcc -Dunix -D_HPUX_SOURCE -O -DDEBUG -I.. -I../support -L../support
-c f
tpd.c
Make: Cannot load gcc.  Stop.
*** Error exit code 1

Stop.

---

From: "James B. Byrne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 1998 11:20:51 -5

> Make: Cannot load gcc.  Stop.

To build wu-ftp you should be using the command

#./build hpx

If you are using this and getting the above errors then probably you have 
one of two conditions:

1.	gcc has never been built on your system

2.	gcc is not in your path statement.

Do a 

#find / -name gcc

and see if gcc exists on your target system at all.  If it does make sure 
that its directory is either in your path statement or that the binary and 
path is specified in all Makefile.hpx files

If gcc is not on your system then find out what cc you do have.  gcc is 
the GNU project cc compiler and the current version is 2.8.1.  It does not 
ship with HP-UX.  The cc that is bundled with HP-UX is a K&R C compiler 
and does not support ANSI C extensions or syntax.  The other alternative 
is that you have the C SDK product from HP.  This cc compiler is an 
ANSI compliant compiler.

The hpx makefiles that come with every distribution that I have seen up to 
b15 are normally set to use the HP ANSI C compiler.   Since you are 
getting gcc as the default compiler you must either be using the wrong 
build command or someone must have modified the hpx makefiles by 
hand to invoke gcc.

To obtain gcc for HP-UX you can either get the binaries from one of the 
HP-UX porting sites ( http://hpux.cae.wisc.edu/ ) or you can get the 
source from one of the GNU mirror archives ( 
ftp://ftp.cs.ubc.ca/mirror2/gnu/ ) and build it yourself.  In either case you 
may find it necessary to obtain additional support programs like flex and 
bison to make things work.

Bear in mind that the switch for ANSI in HP's C (-aA) means something 
completely different to gcc and should be removed from the hpx makefiles 
if you are using gcc.

Regards,
Jim

---
James B. Byrne                Harte & Lyne Limited
vox: +1 905 561 1241          9 Brockley Drive
fax: +1 905 561 0757          Hamilton, Ontario
mailto:[email-masked]  Canada L8E 3C3