Subject: What keyword is needed to display messages after anonymous logins?

From: "Auteria Wally Winzer Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 1998 20:08:51 -0700

What's the statement within the ftpaccess file that generates a message
after an anonymous login?  I'm familar with the banner directive as well as
the message directive.  My current line has the following entry:

message /usr/local/etc/msgs/welcome.msg         login

The above is for regular user logins.  What other keyword do I use to enable
the same message for anonymous logins?

- Thanks In Advance.

- Wally Winzer Jr.

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 08:48:33 -0400 (EDT)

> the same message for anonymous logins?

The full syntax is

message <path> {<when> {<class> ...}}

What's not obvious is that <path> is relative to the current root.  So,
put the message in ~ftp/etc/welcome.msg then use the following (assuming
~ftp is /home/ftp):

class anon anonymous *
class real real      *
message /home/ftp/etc/welcome.msg login real
message /etc/welcome.msg          login anon

Since I also have guest users, I can copy the welcome.msg to the chroot'd
/etc directories (/home/users/etc, in my case), then add:

class guest guest *
message /etc/welcome.msg login guest

You will note that it can take quite a few classes if you want to
diferentiate based the user's on IP address as well.  A little planning,
however, in the layout of the directory structure (especially for guest
users) can help immensely.

----

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195