Subject: 242b17 Sco3243 chown() problems

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 15:59:04 +0200

[Heiko Herold, [email-masked] through another mail account willingly
provided]

Scenario:

wu-ftpd 2.4.2 beta 17, compiled via modem on a (supposedly) sco 3.2.4.2 box
far, far away,
standard ./build sco, no source modification whatever.
Note: I'm not a C programmer, however I am a somewhat experienced unix
sysadmin, with enough knowledge to install and sometimes port programs.
But presently I lack any necessary tools for further debugging.

Binaries transported to the sco 3.2.4.2 (without compiler) where needed,
and installed.

- ftp (as any user) works, however any LIST command (dir, ls) will fail on
the
server side, in fact ftpd behaves as if everything is correct. Substituting
the ls binary
with a fake one made the impression it never was executed.

- Configured a user in a "guest" group. The manpages are pretty clear,
however
I checked the Faq and the guest accounts how-to, too.
Connection is correct, che sessions seems to be chrooted to the anon area,
download works correctly, however upload gives "fchown: no such file or
directory",
the file is created with 0 bytes but nothing more.
I noticed config.h does
#define fchown chown
there is no manpage for fchown on this box, only chown; anyway with my
limited
experience regarding sco this seems a bit strange to me, whit pathnames and
filedescriptors mixed like this.
I suppose there really *is* a fchown(), but it must be in some weird place
-
the chrooted environment does contain everything recomended in various
places, including ~ftp/bin/ls, shlib/libc_s, bin/ls,sh,pwd},
dev/{socksys,null}
and etc/{passwd,group}.
However this supposed library should not be responsible of the "dir"
failure,
since that happens for real users, too.

Any idea ?
Anyone willing to provide working binaries ? I'm a bit in an impasse,
since I need to install this asap but have greater problems in order to
compile.
I could probably arrange another compiling stage next monday if the
solution
comes up, but working binaries, and/or a listing of a working ~ftp would
still be
preferred.

Please ?

Heiko

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 10:30:37 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 25 Jun 1998 [email-masked] wrote:

> wu-ftpd 2.4.2 beta 17, compiled via modem on a (supposedly) sco 3.2.4.2
> box far, far away, standard ./build sco, no source modification
> whatever. 

> - ftp (as any user) works, however any LIST command (dir, ls) will fail
> on the server side

The FAQ should shed some light on this.  Any messages in the system logs?

> however I checked the Faq and the guest accounts how-to, too. 
> Connection is correct, che sessions seems to be chrooted to the anon
> area, download works correctly, however upload gives "fchown: no such
> file or directory", the file is created with 0 bytes but nothing more. 

Probably related to the same setup problem as the first issue.  Is the
filesystem mounted via NFS or on a local drive?  This sounds like a
possible NFS permissions problem. 

> #define fchown chown
> there is no manpage for fchown on this box, only chown

The #define says what the program calls fchown is chown on your system.
Use the chown manpage.

> Anyone willing to provide working binaries?
> working binaries, and/or a listing of a working ~ftp would still be
> preferred. 

I don't run SCO so I'll leave this for someone else.

----

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195