Subject: autogroup

From: Claude Frantz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 15:15:55 +0200

I'm not able to get autogroup running well. The assigned
groups are not the ones I want to have assigned. I'm running
wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-15 on Solaris 2.6.

What are the secrets of this autogroup function ?

Claude

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 09:59:46 -0400 (EDT)

> What are the secrets of this autogroup function ?

Sayeth the manpage:

  autogroup <groupname> <class> [<class> ...]

If an ANONYMOUS user is a member of any of <class>, the ftp server will
perform a setegid() to <group-name>.  This allows access to
group-and-owner-read-only files and directories to a particular class of
anonymous users.  <groupname> is a valid group from /etc/group (or
wherever mechanism your getgrent(2) library routine uses). 

----

What this is trying to tell you is, if you set up a class (say, for users
from local IP numbers as opposed to users from elsewhere).  The group will
be set to the Unix groupname rather than the GID give for the user 'ftp'
in /etc/passwd .. users of the specified class then have Unix access
rights based upon this different GID.  Of course, you'll need to set up
the directories and files in your anonymous area so these users can do
something with this different privilege.  Otherwise it's no different than
any other anonymous FTP access; they're still chroot'd to the anonymous
point, and other restrictions from /etc/ftpaccess apply. 

Note what you're looking for?  Check 'guestgroup' a little furhter down in
the manpage and read the FAQ and guest howto.

----

The location of the latest version of wu-ftpd can be found in the 
directory
 
      ftp://ftp.academ.com/pub/wu-ftpd/private/
 
You can't see the directory contents, so read the message informing you
of the actual filename to retrieve. It's there.
 
wu-ftpd Resource Center:  http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/
wu-ftpd FAQ:              http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html
wu-ftpd list archive:     http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/mail-archive/

----

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195