Subject: Guest wu-ftpd access

From: paulb <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 1998 18:24:45 +0100

Hi, I hope you can help as I'm seriously stuck :(

I run Linux Slackware 2.0.33 and am trying to enable a guest ftp account. I 
have studied and followed the guest-howto which I retrieved from 
ftp://ftp.fni.com/pub/wu-ftpd/guest-howto but still my problem persists.

The guest user can log on fine, transfer files and create directores but 
none of the ftp clients I have used <WS_FTP95_Pro being one>, can see any 
of the files !!...as soon as I press refresh after say creating a directory 
it vanishes!

Telneting onto the box reveals that any files I create are happily sitting 
there.

Any help would be sent from heaven,
Many thanks

Paul

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 1998 13:51:17 -0400 (EDT)

> Telneting onto the box reveals that any files I create are happily sitting 

No world-read permissions on the directory.  Use chmod a+r to fix it.  Be
aware of the dangers of a world-readable/world-writable directory in your
ftp site.  CERT has a good white paper on this subject at www.cert.org

----

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195

---

From: Kevin Hoffer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 1998 15:20:09 -0400 (EDT)

> ftp site.  CERT has a good white paper on this subject at www.cert.org

You must have a bin directory with a static copy of ls in order for them
to do a directory listing.

Kevin