Subject: upload directory, ownership?

From: Dan Stromberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 11:05:57 -0700

Sorry if this has been asked recently.

I have a solaris 2.6 machine (wuftpd 2.4.2 beta 17 binary compiled on
2.5.1) with an upload directory.

I'm finding that when I upload a file, it gets the owner "ftp", instead
of the user I specified in ftpaccess.

At first, I thought this was because of the lack of a setreuid in early
versions of solaris, but I turned setreuid on in config.sol (and
recompiled), and that didn't seem to solve the problem.

Does anyone have any guesses why the ownerships aren't adjusted as
documented?

BTW, I noticed this when some warez traders misused my site..

My ftpaccess file follows.

class   all   real,guest,anonymous  *

limit   all   10   Any              /etc/msgs/msg.dead

readme  README*    login
readme  README*    cwd=*

message /welcome.msg            login
message .message                cwd=*

compress        yes             local remote
tar             yes             local remote

log commands real
log transfers anonymous,real inbound,outbound

shutdown /etc/shutmsg

email [email-masked]
path-filter anonymous /etc/paths.msg ^[-A-Za-z0-9\._]*$ ^\. ^-
upload /target0/anon-ftp                *                no
upload /target0/anon-ftp                /pub/incoming  yes root daemon
0400 nodirs
guestgroup sunpat

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 14:37:20 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 17 Jun 1998, Dan Stromberg wrote:

> upload /target0/anon-ftp /pub/incoming yes root daemon 0400 nodirs

The 'ftp' user's home directory in /etc/passwd is /target0/anon-ftp,
right?  No?  There you go.

----

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195

---

From: Dan Stromberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 11:46:11 -0700

> The 'ftp' user's home directory in /etc/passwd is /target0/anon-ftp,

That fixed it.  Thanks much.

The problem was that I moved ftp from /target0 to /target2, but
neglected to update ftpaccess.

Is there any way of specifying an upload directory relative to ~ftp, in
ftpaccess?

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 14:51:47 -0400 (EDT)

> Is there any way of specifying an upload directory relative to ~ftp, in

No, but ISTR something along that line in a patch posted to the mailing
list quite some time ago.

----