Subject: Runnig ftpd as daemon

From: "Tomasz Jaskolski" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 1998 18:13:20 +0200

Hi

People usually run wu.ftpd from inetd. But I'd like to run it as a daemon.
(just like httpd, named, etc). Is this possible and how shoud I do it.

/usr/sbin/wu.ftpd -a -l didn't work :( also ended by &

I'm not subscribed so please send answers to [email-masked]

Tom Jask

Oh, it's Linux if it does matter.

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 1998 12:45:30 -0400 (EDT)

> (just like httpd, named, etc). Is this possible and how shoud I do it.

There's a patch referneced in the mailling list archives.  It may be old
and require some hand-work to get it to apply against beta-17.

The location of the latest version of wu-ftpd can be found in the 
directory
 
      ftp://ftp.academ.com/pub/wu-ftpd/private/
 
You can't see the directory contents, so read the message informing you
of the actual filename to retrieve. It's there.
 
wu-ftpd Resource Center:  http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/
wu-ftpd FAQ:              http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html
wu-ftpd list archive:     http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/mail-archive/

----

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195

---

From: "James B. Byrne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 19:42:36 -0400

I have installed the NEWVIRT 040 beta from landfield and it is working, 
mostly.  I am having a problem configuring it to allow anonymous uploads.  
When I run ftpck I get this error:

**ERROR: /etc/ftpd/config/virtdomain/ftpaccess: 81: upload: 
/var/virtual/virtdomain/ftp does not match ftp user homedir 
/var/virtual/public/home/ftp/./ - uploads disabled

The relevent entry in the ftpaccess file for virtdomain is:

upload /var/virtual/virtdomain/ftp /incoming  yes  ftp tnsnet 664 nodirs

When i try to upload a file it get the following dialogue:

ftp> put moslocd.txt
200 PORT command successful.
553 MOSLOCD.TXT: Permission denied. (Filename (deny))
ftp>

I am guessing that there is some relationship between the error reported by 
ftpck and this problem.  But I do not see it.  I have checked the FAQ and 
there is either nothing on this there or I have missed it.  If anyone can point 
out the errors of my ways I would be very grateful.

Regards,
Jim

--
James B. Byrne               Harte & Lyne Limited
[email-masked]        9 Brockley Drive
vox: +1 905 561 1241         Hamilton, Ontario
fax: +1 905 561 0757         Canada  L8E 3C3