Subject: Loopback for Linux?

From: Ron Freidel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 1998 13:20:06 -0600 (MDT)

Hi,

I believe I have the problem about files not being viewed solved. Now
my question is... is it necessary to make copies of all needed files in
/home/username/bin,etc,lib? I tried a sym link but it didn't work.

Through searching the archives I discovered messages for loopback, but
doing a search for a man for loopback on the linux system reveals
nothing. Is there a way to accomplish this on a Linux box?

Can a skeleton directory be made then link others to it?

Thanks,
Ron 
----------------------------------
E-Mail: Ron Freidel<[email-masked]>
Date: 03-Jun-98
Time: 13:20:06

This message was sent by XFMail
----------------------------------

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 1998 16:51:05 -0400 (EDT)

> /home/username/bin,etc,lib? I tried a sym link but it didn't work.

hard links will work

> Can a skeleton directory be made then link others to it?

Loopback comes in two flavors: NFS (what others you read were referring
to) and /dev/loop? (which mounts a file as an entire filesystem: cool but
not what you're looking for).  The HOWTOs for Linux describe both, as do
the man pages.

For what you're looking for, though, start with hard links or, better, see
if you can reshape the directory heirarchy so you don't need so many
copies of the files.

----

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 1998 16:57:49 -0400 (EDT)

> not what you're looking for).  The HOWTOs for Linux describe both, as do

Duh.  What am I thinking?  /dev/loop? is exactly what you need to cross
filesystems where hardlinks won't work.  Check man losetup(8) for an
example.

----