Subject: Re: ftpaccess problem with the upload command and guest accounts - Follow Up

From: [email-masked] (Andy Church)
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 08:31:20 EDT

>>      The patch takes the same values for directory owner and group as are
>> given for files.  The reason I added a mode parameter was because
>> directories usually need to have different modes than files (in particular,
>> directories need the execute bit).  I don't see a reason to have a
>> different owner and group for directories.
>
>Theres a very good reason for this.
>
>When you have multiple incoming directories, and each incoming directory
>is administered by a different user you need to force the owner and group
>for newly created directories within incoming so that the administrator of
>that incoming directory is able to delete files.

     I think you misunderstood me, or I was unclear... what I meant to say
was, "I don't see a reason to have a different owner and group for
directories _than for files in the same incoming tree_."  My patch does (or
at least should, unless it's broken) set the owner and group of directories
to the same as the UID/GID given for files in the upload directive.

     Incidentally, the patch I originally posted to the mailing list had a
bug in it causing directory modes to be set incorrectly; the fixed version
is at ftp://achurch.dragonfire.net/wu-ftpd/mkdir.patch (the same place as
the old one).

  --Andy Church                  | If Bell Atlantic really is the heart
    [email-masked]       | of communication, then it desperately
    www.dragonfire.net/~achurch/ | needs a quadruple bypass.