Subject: newvirt ftpshut coredumps

From: Roger Hanke <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 1998 17:55:23 -0400

Kent,
 I had been working with your Newvirt 030 built on Beta 13 since that
is still what we are running in production. Was trying to use your
modified
ftpshut version so that it would control all the virtual users, but keep
getting a SIGSEGV segmentation fault whenever I run it
without putting a shutdown command in every ftpaccess file.
Since I have a number of different classes of uses I was trying to
leave the OAM folk still have access to the machine.
If this is not possible than that explains the problem, though 
perhaps the presentation could be friendlier ;-)

I have tried with and without the optional message content.
Have tried now, +dd, and HHMM formats. All get the same error.
At the end here I threw the truss in, in case it might add some
info. This is running on Solaris 2.5.1 currently, compiled with gcc.
Have not had any problems with the ftpd from the same build. 
ftprestart just gives one complaint, but did not core dump.
It did remove the shutdown file that ftpshut had created.

Brought down your latest newvirt 040 built on Beta 15 and tried using
that ftpshut and ftprestart versions but got same results.
Except ftprestart complained about several missing files, but
still removed the ones it found, and didnt core dump.

Did search the mail archives for ftpshut references but didnt find
any mention of any problems with your modified versions.

Any info would be appreciated.
	Thanx,
	Roger Hanke

<hdpst01:/usr/local/lib/ftpd/bin> more ftpshut.out
execve("/usr/local/lib/ftpd/bin/ftpshut", 0xEFFFFBF0, 0xEFFFFC00)  argc
= 3
open("/dev/zero", O_RDONLY)                     = 3
mmap(0x00000000, 4096, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE|PROT_EXEC, MAP_PRIVATE, 3,
0) = 0xEF
7F0000
open("../support/libsocket.so.1", O_RDONLY)     Err#2 ENOENT
open("/usr/lib/libsocket.so.1", O_RDONLY)       = 4
fstat(4, 0xEFFFF8B4)                            = 0
mmap(0x00000000, 4096, PROT_READ|PROT_EXEC, MAP_SHARED, 4, 0) =
0xEF780000
mmap(0x00000000, 122880, PROT_READ|PROT_EXEC, MAP_PRIVATE, 4, 0) =
0xEF740000
munmap(0xEF74D000, 61440)                       = 0
mmap(0xEF75C000, 5393, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE|PROT_EXEC,
MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_FIXED, 4,
 49152) = 0xEF75C000
close(4)                                        = 0
open("../support/libnsl.so.1", O_RDONLY)        Err#2 ENOENT
open("/usr/lib/libnsl.so.1", O_RDONLY)          = 4
fstat(4, 0xEFFFF8B4)                            = 0
mmap(0xEF780000, 4096, PROT_READ|PROT_EXEC, MAP_SHARED|MAP_FIXED, 4, 0)
= 0xEF78
0000
mmap(0x00000000, 528384, PROT_READ|PROT_EXEC, MAP_PRIVATE, 4, 0) =
0xEF680000
munmap(0xEF6E1000, 61440)                       = 0
mmap(0xEF6F0000, 34865, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE|PROT_EXEC,
MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_FIXED, 4
, 393216) = 0xEF6F0000
       
mmap(0xEF6F9000, 29744, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE|PROT_EXEC,
MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_FIXED, 3
, 0) = 0xEF6F9000
close(4)                                        = 0
open("../support/libc.so.1", O_RDONLY)          Err#2 ENOENT
open("/usr/lib/libc.so.1", O_RDONLY)            = 4
fstat(4, 0xEFFFF8B4)                            = 0
mmap(0xEF780000, 4096, PROT_READ|PROT_EXEC, MAP_SHARED|MAP_FIXED, 4, 0)
= 0xEF78
0000
mmap(0x00000000, 618496, PROT_READ|PROT_EXEC, MAP_PRIVATE, 4, 0) =
0xEF5C0000
munmap(0xEF63F000, 61440)                       = 0
mmap(0xEF64E000, 26688, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE|PROT_EXEC,
MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_FIXED, 4
, 516096) = 0xEF64E000
mmap(0xEF655000, 6792, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE|PROT_EXEC,
MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_FIXED, 3,
 0) = 0xEF655000
close(4)                                        = 0
open("/usr/lib/libdl.so.1", O_RDONLY)           = 4
fstat(4, 0xEFFFF8B4)                            = 0
mmap(0xEF780000, 4096, PROT_READ|PROT_EXEC, MAP_SHARED|MAP_FIXED, 4, 0)
= 0xEF78
0000
close(4)                                        = 0
open("/usr/lib/libintl.so.1", O_RDONLY)         = 4
fstat(4, 0xEFFFF8B4)                            = 0              
mmap(0x00000000, 4096, PROT_READ|PROT_EXEC, MAP_SHARED, 4, 0) =
0xEF580000
mmap(0x00000000, 77824, PROT_READ|PROT_EXEC, MAP_PRIVATE, 4, 0) =
0xEF540000
munmap(0xEF543000, 61440)                       = 0
mmap(0xEF552000, 3040, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE|PROT_EXEC,
MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_FIXED, 4,
 8192) = 0xEF552000
close(4)                                        = 0
open("/usr/lib/libmp.so.1", O_RDONLY)           = 4
fstat(4, 0xEFFFF8B4)                            = 0
mmap(0xEF580000, 4096, PROT_READ|PROT_EXEC, MAP_SHARED|MAP_FIXED, 4, 0)
= 0xEF58
0000
mmap(0x00000000, 77824, PROT_READ|PROT_EXEC, MAP_PRIVATE, 4, 0) =
0xEF500000
munmap(0xEF503000, 61440)                       = 0
mmap(0xEF512000, 3318, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE|PROT_EXEC,
MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_FIXED, 4,
 8192) = 0xEF512000
close(4)                                        = 0
open("/usr/lib/libw.so.1", O_RDONLY)            = 4
fstat(4, 0xEFFFF8B4)                            = 0
mmap(0xEF580000, 4096, PROT_READ|PROT_EXEC, MAP_SHARED|MAP_FIXED, 4, 0)
= 0xEF58
0000
mmap(0x00000000, 94208, PROT_READ|PROT_EXEC, MAP_PRIVATE, 4, 0) =
0xEF4C0000
munmap(0xEF4C7000, 61440)                       = 0
mmap(0xEF4D6000, 3568, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE|PROT_EXEC,
MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_FIXED, 4,
 24576) = 0xEF4D6000
close(4)                                        = 0
open("/usr/platform/SUNW,SPARCstation-20/lib/libc_psr.so.1", O_RDONLY)
Err#2 ENO
ENT
close(3)                                        = 0
munmap(0xEF580000, 4096)                        = 0
open("/usr/local/lib/ftpd/ftpaccess", O_RDONLY) = 3
stat("/usr/local/lib/ftpd/ftpaccess", 0xEFFFEAE8) = 0
brk(0x000244F8)                                 = 0
brk(0x000264F8)                                 = 0
fstat(3, 0xEFFFD910)                            = 0
brk(0x000264F8)                                 = 0
brk(0x000284F8)                                 = 0
ioctl(3, TCGETA, 0xEFFFD89C)                    Err#25 ENOTTY
read(3, " #\t f t p a c c e s s .".., 8192)     = 984
time()                                          = 897330123
open("/usr/share/lib/zoneinfo/US/Eastern", O_RDONLY) = 4
read(4, "\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0".., 8192)     = 817
close(4)                                        = 0
open("/usr/local/lib/ftpd/shutdown.file", O_WRONLY|O_CREAT|O_TRUNC,
0666) = 4
fstat(4, 0xEFFFCCD0)                            = 0
brk(0x000284F8)                                 = 0      
brk(0x0002A4F8)                                 = 0
ioctl(4, TCGETA, 0xEFFFCC5C)                    Err#25 ENOTTY
write(4, " 1 9 9 8   0 5   0 8   1".., 49)      = 49
close(4)                                        = 0
ioctl(1, TCGETA, 0xEFFFCC5C)                    = 0
write(1, " / u s r / l o c a l / l".., 42)      = 42
open("/etc/.name_service_door", O_RDONLY)       = 4
fcntl(4, F_SETFD, 0x00000001)                   = 0
door_info(4, 0xEF6556F8)                        = 0
door_call(4, 0xEFFFD650, 0x00000400, 0x000000A2, 0x00000000) = 0
lseek(3, 0, SEEK_CUR)                           = 984
lseek(3, 0, SEEK_SET)                           = 0
read(3, " #\t f t p a c c e s s .".., 8192)     = 984
read(3, 0x000248EC, 8192)                       = 0
open("/usr/local/lib/ftpd/ftpservers", O_RDONLY) = 5
fstat(5, 0xEFFFD8E0)                            = 0
ioctl(5, TCGETA, 0xEFFFD86C)                    Err#25 ENOTTY
read(5, " #\t f t p s e r v e r s".., 8192)     = 1094
open("/etc/netconfig", O_RDONLY)                = 6
fstat(6, 0xEFFFD330)                            = 0
brk(0x0002A4F8)                                 = 0
brk(0x0002C4F8)                                 = 0   
ioctl(6, TCGETA, 0xEFFFD2BC)                    Err#25 ENOTTY
read(6, " #\n #   T h e   " N e t".., 8192)     = 1064
read(6, 0x00029C64, 8192)                       = 0
lseek(6, 0, SEEK_CUR)                           = 1064
lseek(6, 0, SEEK_SET)                           = 0
brk(0x0002C4F8)                                 = 0
brk(0x0002E4F8)                                 = 0
read(6, " #\n #   T h e   " N e t".., 8192)     = 1064
read(6, 0x00029C64, 8192)                       = 0
lseek(6, 0, SEEK_CUR)                           = 1064
close(6)                                        = 0
stat("/usr/local/lib/ftpd/config/int.write/ftpaccess", 0xEFFFEAE8) = 0
lseek(3, 0, SEEK_CUR)                           = 984
close(3)                                        = 0
open("/usr/local/lib/ftpd/config/int.write/ftpaccess", O_RDONLY) = 3
fstat(3, 0xEFFFD970)                            = 0
ioctl(3, TCGETA, 0xEFFFD8FC)                    Err#25 ENOTTY
read(3, " #\t f t p a c c e s s .".., 8192)     = 1261
read(3, 0x000248EC, 8192)                       = 0
lseek(3, 0, SEEK_CUR)                           = 1261
lseek(3, 0, SEEK_SET)                           = 0
read(3, " #\t f t p a c c e s s .".., 8192)     = 1261 
read(3, 0x000248EC, 8192)                       = 0
    Incurred fault #6, FLTBOUNDS  %pc = 0xEF5E3D50
      siginfo: SIGSEGV SEGV_MAPERR addr=0x00000000
    Received signal #11, SIGSEGV [default]
      siginfo: SIGSEGV SEGV_MAPERR addr=0x00000000
        *** process killed ***

---------------------------------------------------------------
 Roger A. Hanke         AT&T Web Site Services
 (732)576-5738          [email-masked]
 FAX (732)576-6041      http://lynxhub.att.com/~rah/
---------------------------------------------------------------