Subject: Client and server hanging after entering user name

From: Srinivas Maddhi <[email-masked]>
Date: 11 Jun 1998 15:38:20 -0500

When FTP'ing to an FTP server running WU-FTPD 2.4(1) the ftp process on
the client side and the ftpd daemon on the server side hang.

This FTP server was working fine until we had a power outage and I am
assuming the subsequent reboot messed something up.

I used 'lsof' to check on the files that the 'ftpd' process has open and
I get a list of about 10 open files (ftpd binary, system shared
libraries, the ftpaccess file etc.).  All the files need for the FTP
server seem to be there and I can't find anything amiss with them.

The ftpd daemon is started with the "-l" and the "-a" options in
inetd.conf.  Am able to interrupt the client FTP process but am unable
to kill the server ftpd processes.

I haven't had much experience with wu-ftpd and at this point I am ready
to give up and reinstall the server.

Any recommendations that might help me avoid a reinstall and fix the
problem instead would be appreciated.

Thanks.
  
--