Subject: ftpaccess problem with the upload command and guest accounts

From: Aaron Holtz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 11:55:41 -0400 (EDT)

Howdy:

	I'm having a slight problem with an ftpaccess file directive and
guest accounts.  The default permissions of created directories by guest
accounts isn't what I want.  There is an upload directory that users can
upload files into - when they do, the owner and group change to the
appropriate name I have setup in the ftpacces file (this is so an admin
person can maintain the archive remotely via ftp since there is no shell
access.)  This works correctly as I'd expect.  However, if a guest account
makes a directory in that upload directory, they become the owner and the
admin cannot remotely remove it. Is there anything special I need to do in
order to get guestgroup created directories that fall beneath the uploads
directory to be the owner and group that I want?  I could put a 'nodirs'
option in the upload line of the ftpaccess file, but I think they'd like
to be able to let their guest accounts create subdirectories to put their
stuff into.  Any thoughts on how to look at the problem would be helpful.
I'm running wu-2.4.2-academ[BETA-15](1)  with the newvirt hack installed
so each virtual FTP site can have it's own ftpaccess file.  Everything
else with the setup works as I'd expect, except for the owner and group of
created directories.  Thanks!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Aaron Holtz
First Network Group    "The First Name in Internetworking"
Manager, UNIX Systems Admin
Email:  [email-masked]
"We do these things not because they are easy, 
 but because they are hard."  -JFK
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 12:17:52 -0400 (EDT)

> upload files into - when they do, the owner and group change to the

This is a known problem.  Patches have been posted to the mailing list to
fix it.  Most recently, I posted two sets of patches which fix this and
other things.  My patches were taken from earlier posted patches.  Yu can
get my patches from
  ftp://ftp.vr.net/pub/wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-17-vr1.patch
  ftp://ftp.vr.net/pub/wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-17-vr2.patch
or you can browse the mailing list archives from April, 1998 for the
original patches.

The location of the latest version of wu-ftpd can be found in the 
directory
 
      ftp://ftp.academ.com/pub/wu-ftpd/private/
 
You can't see the directory contents, so read the message informing you
of the actual filename to retrieve. It's there.
 
wu-ftpd Resource Center:  http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/
wu-ftpd FAQ:              http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html
wu-ftpd list archive:     http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/mail-archive/

----

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195