Subject: private yes|no && ftpgroups && site commands....?

From: Rocke Robertson 991-2604 UNTS <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 14:37:40 -0400 (EDT)

Stats: 2.4.2-beta15 on Solaris 2.5.1.

I have read the ftpaccess man page, checked the FAQ's. Cant seem to dig up 
information on what the "private file" does for SITE GROUP and GPASS commands. 
The reason behind this hunting is I cant get a guest account to successfully do 
a quote site group groupname and gpass command.

My /etc/ftpaccess has

private yes		<-- which is from ftpaccess.heavy

My /etc/ftpgroups has 

webgrp:09384ljsflsdjf:webadmin

I log in as a guest account. When I issue the site command, it simply logs SITE 
GROUP GROUPNAME in the logfile and this to the ftp client.

ftp> quote site group webgrp gpass 123456
200 Request for access to group webgrp gpass 123456 accepted.

wether or not it is the correct password. Is the site command OK ? My effective 
GID or EGID is not changed, because newly created files have the wrong GID, and 
I dont have the correct permissions to cd into respective subdirectories.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Rocke Roberton
[email-masked]

---

From: Bob Luckin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 98 15:10:05 CDT

Hello Rocke,

Your setup looks OK to me, but it takes two commands to switch to the
new group, not one...

> 200 Request for access to group webgrp gpass 123456 accepted.

I think the above line is your problem...  Try :-
   quote site group webgrp
and you should get the response
   200 Request for access to group webgrp accepted.

Follow this with
   quote site gpass 123456
and if 123456 is the correct password, you should get
   200 Group access enabled.

The first command sets up the group you want to switch to, and the
second supplies the password.  (The server remembers the group you asked
to switch to between the commands.)  In your example, you never switched the
group, because the gpass command was not issued.

I hope this solves your problem - I'm running beta16 on Solaris 5.5.1, and
everything works fine for me.

If you need more info, most of the relvant code is in the private.c source
file...

Good luck !

Cheers, Bob
-- 
Bob Luckin      [email-masked]      "I say ETA FTP ?  Me tempt fate, ya ?  Si !"
                                 [http://www.dhc.net/~luckin/palindromes.html]