Subject: wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-17 on a Solaris machine running 2.5.1

From: "Dawn A. Trevisani" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 08:18:58 -0400

<bold><italic>Help!!!!!

</italic></bold>

I've installed wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-17 on a Solaris machine running 
2.5.1.

I have anonymous ftp working fine and the virtual ftp working
appropriately, also.

<bold><bigger>However, after any 1 upload or download, the connection is
ALWAYS closed, requiring the user to log back in. This is not true for
any commands that do not result in a file transfer.

</bigger></bold>

Error received on the client side after 2nd attempt is made to transfer a
file to/from the server:  <italic>"421 Service not available, remote
server has closed connection"

</italic>

Error received on the server side after 2nd attempt is made to transfer a
file to/from the server.  Error message located in /var/adm/messages:  

<italic>"Jun  5 14:37:34 yakko ftpd[303]: exiting on signal 11"

</italic>

Has anyone out there experienced the same thing?????  I am out of
attempted solutions and, quite honestly, out of time.

Any suggestions would be greatly, deeply, appreciated.  ;-)

Dawn A. Trevisani

****************//////////////////////////*******************

Unity/Enterprise Operations		DSN 587-7311

Rome Research Site		Pager: 722-5204

RRS/IFOS			Fax: (315) 330-8058

Litton PRC			Mailto:[email-masked]

****************/////////////////////////********************

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 1998 09:39:36 -0400 (EDT)

> any commands that do not result in a file transfer.

Of course, the server died.

> attempted solutions and, quite honestly, out of time.

What version were you running before?  Have you retrieved a stack trace
from the core dump?

You might try turning off the setproctitle code.  That seemed to cause a
similar problem in the past for Solaris.  Also, as always, check the FAQ:
there could be help there for this problem (I know it was very frequently
asked in the past).

The location of the latest version of wu-ftpd can be found in the 
directory
 
      ftp://ftp.academ.com/pub/wu-ftpd/private/
 
You can't see the directory contents, so read the message informing you
of the actual filename to retrieve. It's there.
 
wu-ftpd Resource Center:  http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/
wu-ftpd FAQ:              http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html
wu-ftpd list archive:     http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/mail-archive/

----

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195