Subject: ftpaccess problem with the upload command and guest accounts - Follow Up

From: Aaron Holtz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 16:06:42 -0400 (EDT)

I received some good comments about how this has been patched a few months
back.  I was able to retrieve both a full set of patches incorporating
several things as well as an isolated patch for just the mkdir problem.  A
few things I've noted:

1.  These patches won't fly with the newvirt-040 code.  I'm no C master,
    but I've tried all kinds of things to get them to work.

2.  The mkdir patch only looks to allow you to specify the mode of the
    created directory, not the owner or the group.  Since the upload
    statement allows that for files, I'm proposing that the patch be
    slightly rewritten to change the owner and group of the created 
    directory to reflect values within the upload statement.

If anyone is running the newvirt code with either the hostname patch or
the mkdir fix, It'd be appreciated of any type of patches or diff files
could be made available.  Thanks especially to Greg for the help.
I'd be willing to share any thoughts or a testing ground with any
developers out there.  I'm running the newvirt code under SunOS 4.1.4 and
Solaris 2.5.1 with several virtual FTP servers on each one.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Aaron Holtz
First Network Group    "The First Name in Internetworking"
Manager, UNIX Systems Admin
Email:  [email-masked]
"We do these things not because they are easy, 
 but because they are hard."  -JFK
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 11:55:41 -0400 (EDT)
From: Aaron Holtz <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: ftpaccess problem with the upload command and guest accounts

Howdy:

	I'm having a slight problem with an ftpaccess file directive and
guest accounts.  The default permissions of created directories by guest
accounts isn't what I want.  There is an upload directory that users can
upload files into - when they do, the owner and group change to the
appropriate name I have setup in the ftpacces file (this is so an admin
person can maintain the archive remotely via ftp since there is no shell
access.)  This works correctly as I'd expect.  However, if a guest account
makes a directory in that upload directory, they become the owner and the
admin cannot remotely remove it. Is there anything special I need to do in
order to get guestgroup created directories that fall beneath the uploads
directory to be the owner and group that I want?  I could put a 'nodirs'
option in the upload line of the ftpaccess file, but I think they'd like
to be able to let their guest accounts create subdirectories to put their
stuff into.  Any thoughts on how to look at the problem would be helpful.
I'm running wu-2.4.2-academ[BETA-15](1)  with the newvirt hack installed
so each virtual FTP site can have it's own ftpaccess file.  Everything
else with the setup works as I'd expect, except for the owner and group of
created directories.  Thanks!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Aaron Holtz
First Network Group    "The First Name in Internetworking"
Manager, UNIX Systems Admin
Email:  [email-masked]
"We do these things not because they are easy, 
 but because they are hard."  -JFK
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 16:22:56 -0400 (EDT)

>     directory to reflect values within the upload statement.

All available patches attempt to set the owner/group for the new
directory.  ISTR one of them has a typo, though.

----

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195