Subject: Statistical Tool

From: "Themistoklis Kordogiannis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 19:35:26 +0300

I was wondering if there is another good statistical tool for parsing
qu-ftpd log files, instead of iisstat.

It doesn't have to be a commercial one, but that's no problem.

Thanks in advance
Themis

---

From: Dave Wreski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 12:58:30 -0400 (EDT)

> qu-ftpd log files, instead of iisstat.

Check out xferstats in the util directory.

Dave

---

From: "Joe R. Jah" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 21:48:12 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 26 Jun 1998, Dave Wreski wrote:

> Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 12:58:30 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Dave Wreski <[email-masked]>
> To: Themistoklis Kordogiannis <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Wu-Ftpd <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Re: Statistical Tool
> 
> 

This is a great tool; thanks for the info.  Is it possible to log
transfers that are made through http protocol from Wu-Ftp folders?

Joe

     _/   _/_/_/       _/            ____________    __o
     _/   _/   _/      _/       ______________     _-\<,_
 _/  _/   _/_/_/   _/  _/                   ......(_)/ (_)
  _/_/ oe _/   _/.  _/_/ ah       [email-masked]

---

From: Dave Wreski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 1998 01:13:25 -0400 (EDT)

> transfers that are made through http protocol from Wu-Ftp folders?

Here's a great opportunity to hone-up your perl skills.  I haven't the
slightest idea, as I still have a bit of perl myself to learn ;)

Perhaps mail the author, and see if he has any ideas.

Dave

---

From: FTP Administrator <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 15:05:00 +0200 (MET DST)

> transfers that are made through http protocol from Wu-Ftp folders?
I'm working on xferstats package, to add new options.
If you want to try it, you can find it on
ftp://ftp.unina.it/pub/Unix/packages/xferstat/xferstat
and its documentation is
ftp://ftp.unina.it/pub/Unix/packages/xferstat/xferstat.txt

These days I'm working on it, so it's supposed that you can find different
versions maybe also every days...

About http, I use http-analyze. You can find it at 
http://www.netstore.de/Supply/http-analyze

Regards,

Massimo Gais
----
FTP Administrator                                        <[email-masked]>
C.D.S. - University "Federico II" of Naples (Italy)

                          "640K ought to be enough for anybody." 
                                           --  Bill Gates, 1981

---

From: Dan Stromberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 08:20:40 -0700

> Perhaps mail the author, and see if he has any ideas.

Ei, how about a language where you get a better return for your efforts,
like python?  It's free, and it's incredibly easy And incredibly
powerful, and it's not a report language often misused for applications
like perl.

As someone who's studied language design, I feel quite confident saying:
perl's popularity is largely undeserved.  It's semantically ok (not
spectacular, not bad), but syntactically horrendous.

---

From: Dave Wreski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 02:55:17 -0400 (EDT)

> spectacular, not bad), but syntactically horrendous.

My thoughts exactly.  I'll give python a shot, and hope it's regex is a
bit easier to understand..

Dave

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 09:47:51 -0400 (EDT)

> bit easier to understand..

Ivory tower vs real world.  As someone both schooled in formal language
theory and with decades of experience, I feel confident in saying:

 1) all languages suck at some things
 2) all languages are good at other things
 3) in general, and without wide experience in many languages, as well as
    the one in question, how a given language fits under (1) and (2) above
    is unknowable
 4) in general, most programmers fail to fullfil the requirements of (3)
    before spouting off about a given language; their thoughts and
    opinions are, therefore, meaningless and can be safely ignored
 5) there is no correct language for any task, it's all personal opinion
 6) the correct language to use satisfies the only meaningful requirement:
    it's there.  If no language is locally available, choose whichever you
    want; whatever you choose will be both correct and incorrect.  If any
    language is already available, use it because downloading and learning
    a new language will probably cost more than using the locally
    available language (no matter how crufty that language may be)
 7) any programmer who argues the merits of one language over another in
    any arena other than the neighborhood pub generally won't survive long
    enough in the marketplace to be proven either right or wrong
 8) the language you use now is always better than all others
 9) the best language for any job is the one know to the employer
10) no matter how much you wish it, COBOL will never die

----

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195

---

From: Dan Stromberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 10:01:18 -0700

Gregory A Lundberg wrote:
> Ivory tower vs real world.

Not at all.  It's using a preferable tool, vs following the crowd.

Contrary to what you've said, not all languages are created equal.

Note well, that if everyone thought like you, perl would never have
become popular (not that that's All bad :-).  It took some people who
were willing to try something new (and better, at least compared to
/bin/sh, for many but not all jobs), to get it off the ground.