Subject: single-command-line bug

From: Martin Vysohlid <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 12:55:10 +0200 (MET DST)

Helo, everybody!

I'd like to ask you what is the single-command-line bug 
(or crash-on-one-parameter bug). I didn't patch my 2.4.2-b16 
for this bug and I am not sure, whether I need to do so.

I looked at
ftp://achurch.dragonfire.net/wu-ftpd/
but wasn't able to find the explanation there (only the patch).

Thanks in advance,
Martin

---

From: Harshal Savalia <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 19:31:29 IST

Hi,

	If you specify only one option with ftpd then it won't 
	work. You have to specify atleast two option with ftpd.
	That's single-command-ling bug.

Regards,
Harshal

--
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Harshal Savalia                                 email : [email-masked]
Hewlett Packard - ISO                           Phone : (91)(80)2251554 x 1424
30C, Cunningham Road                            Fax   : (91)(80)2200196
Bangalore 560 052                               Telnet: 847-1424
India.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 10:08:20 -0400 (EDT)

> but wasn't able to find the explanation there (only the patch).

You only absolutely need to patch if you're using exactly one command-line
parameter, typically just -a to use ftpaccess.  Since it's not unusual for
sites to also log the bug is avoided by using -a -l, which is probably
what the problem isn't more widely complained about.

Technically, the bug is a simple programming error.  You can see the
details by examining the available patches.  Basically a subroutine was
called to late and had to be moved up a bit so it's side effes wouldn't
bite other sections of code.

Beta 17 should fix the bug as well, but I've not yet had a chance to look
at beta-17 so I'm only going on what I've read in the announcement.

----

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195