Subject: Anonymous ftp

From: "Alan K.K. Kong" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 10:30:21 +0800

Dear All,

I am running Solaris 2.6 on Sparc10. I am using wuftpd-2.7beta17 to
set up an anonymous ftp server. Currently I could access the server 
as anonymous user. When I "ls", I could see the files and directories
in ~ftp. I see nothing(no files, no directories) when I "ls -l".

The server is running NIS+ in compat mode.

I have checked with: chroot ~ftp /bin/ls, and it worked.

This is the listing for ~ftp:

dr-xr-xr-x   6 root     other        512 May 27 15:50 .
drwxr-xr-x   4 root     root         512 May 20 14:38 ..
-r--------   1 root     other          0 May 21 11:11 .forward
-r--------   1 root     other          0 May 21 11:11 .rhosts
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     other          7 May 26 16:55 bin -> usr/bin
dr-xr-xr-x   2 root     other        512 May 28 10:02 dev
d--x--x--x   2 root     other        512 May 27 11:31 etc
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     other          7 May 26 16:55 lib -> usr/lib
dr-xr-xr-x  16 root     ftp          512 May 25 11:59 pub
d--x--x--x   4 root     other        512 May 27 15:51 usr

This is the listing for ~ftp/dev:

dr-xr-xr-x   2 root     other        512 May 28 10:02 .
dr-xr-xr-x   6 root     other        512 May 27 15:50 ..
crw-rw-rw-   1 root     other     13,  2 May 28 10:02 null
crw-rw-rw-   1 root     other     11, 42 May 21 11:40 tcp
crw-rw-rw-   1 root     other    105,  1 May 25 16:28 ticotsord
crw-rw-rw-   1 root     other     11, 41 May 25 16:27 udp
crw-rw-rw-   1 root     other     13, 12 May 21 11:41 zero
 
Note: /dev/null was added as suggested from other messages in this group.

This is the listing for ~ftp/etc:

d--x--x--x   2 root     other        512 May 27 11:31 .
dr-xr-xr-x   6 root     other        512 May 28 10:22 ..
-r--r--r--   1 root     other         35 May 25 11:24 group
-r--r--r--   1 root     other       1064 May 25 16:25 netconfig
-r--r--r--   1 root     other       1299 May 27 11:31 nsswitch.conf
-r--r--r--   1 root     other        184 May 26 14:20 passwd

This is the contents of ~ftp/etc/passwd:

root:x:0:1:Super-User:/:/sbin/sh
daemon:x:1:1::/:
nuucp:x:9:9:uucp Admin:/var/spool/uucppublic:/usr/lib/uucp/uucico
ftp:x:40:60003:Anonymous FTP account:/usr/local/users/ftp:/bin/true

This is the contents of ~ftp/group;

root::0:root
other::1:
ftp::60003:

This was oberverd when "ls -l" as anonymous login:

ftp> ls -l
200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for /bin/ls.
226 Transfer complete.

When I used ncftp or gui ftp tool from win95, nothing was displayed.

Do I missed something? I have checked the faq on ftp an anonymous ftp.

Thanks for your help.

Regards
Alan

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alan, Kwok-Kee KONG                    | Email: [email-masked] or
Department of Electronic Engineering   |          [email-masked]
The Chinese University of Hong Kong    | Tel:   +852 2609-8286 (voice)
Shatin, N.T.                           |        +852 2603-5558 (fax)
Hong Kong
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------