Subject: Wu-ftpd Support

From: [email-masked] (Stan Barber)
Date: Sat, 9 May 1998 13:32:51 -0500 (CDT)

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] writes:
>As the original wu-ftpd maintainers have apparently disappeared, we (Andy
>Church, [email-masked] and Bernhard Rosenkränzer,
>[email-masked]) have taken over maintenance of wu-ftpd.

Andy, I am still here. The web site at academ.com is still here. Nothing I
have been doing has changed. You are welcome to maintain your own development
in this area, but please don't confuse people by having them believe that
the work I have been doing has ceased. 

You and I may disagree on how the development of wu-ftpd should progress. That
is why I have no objection to someone else doing their own off-shoot of the
work. However, your assertion that you are "taking over" because "the
maintaineers have aparently disappeared" is just plain off-base. 

My goals have been published for along time. I expect to meet those goals.
Once that is completed, it may make sense for the work to pass to someone
else. However, that type of transition should involve public discussions
here in the mailing list. I have not witnessed that with respect to your
work.

STAN BARBER

---

From: The Doctor <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 May 1998 12:40:46 -0600 (MDT)

> here in the mailing list. I have not witnessed that with respect to your

So what is the story?

Is wu-ftpd in the hands of 2 dissident or still with Stan?

I HATE Hijackings!!!

---

From: Bernhard Rosenkraenzer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 09 May 1998 22:51:38 +0200 (CEST)

> maintaineers have aparently disappeared" is just plain off-base. 

Sorry. I have to take the blame here - I made the announcement. Not
because I wanted people to move to our work or something, but because it
is what I heard from a few different sources; primarily as feedback for
the wu-ftpd based BeroFTPD I released a while before.

Andy: do we move our version to a different name?

LLaP
bero

---
Windows 95 is NOT a virus - a virus is small and efficient.
***
Anyone sending unwanted advertising e-mail to this address will be charged
$25 for network traffic and computing time. By extracting my address from
this message or its header, you agree to these terms.

---

From: Eilon Gishri <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 01:47:54 +0300

> Andy: do we move our version to a different name?
Please do. It already created much confusion.

-- 
Eilon Gishri					[email-masked]
Security Consultant				Office: +972-3-6406723
Israel Inter University Computation Center	Fax:	+972-3-6409118
  /* On a matter of national security */	Home:	+972-3-5078671

---

From: [email-masked] (Stan Barber)
Date: 9 May 1998 22:56:33 GMT

>the wu-ftpd based BeroFTPD I released a while before.

What's wrong with calling it BeroFTPD? You already have started with that
name. Why not continue to use it?

Or, do you intend to continue to do that and then the version that you and Andy
can have yet a third version?
-- 
Stan   | Academ Consulting Services        |internet: [email-masked]
Olan   | For more info on academ, see this |uucp: mcsun!academ!sob
Barber | URL- http://www.academ.com/academ |Opinions expressed are only mine.

---

From: The Doctor <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 May 1998 17:08:48 -0600 (MDT)

> Andy: do we move our version to a different name?

Take a hint:  Name something based on yours and quit confusing the community
AT LARGE!

---

From: Dave Wreski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 May 1998 19:31:01 -0400 (EDT)

> Please do. It already created much confusion.

I'm sorry to cc: everyone, but I unfortunately must have missed a message
or two, and now I'm confused.

Does b15 still remain the most curent/stable?  I just don't have the
resources to do testing, and require stability.

Perhaps someone would write up a summary of the recent happenings, and who
is the maintainer?

Thanks much,
Dave Wreski

---

From: Kent Landfield <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 01:09:26 -0500 (CDT)

[email-masked] writes:
#
# Sorry. I have to take the blame here - I made the announcement. Not
# because I wanted people to move to our work or something, but because it
# is what I heard from a few different sources; primarily as feedback for
# the wu-ftpd based BeroFTPD I released a while before.
# 
# Andy: do we move our version to a different name?

That seems to be a given. ;) I sort of liked BeroFTPD.  Thanks for being 
up front about it.

-- 
Kent Landfield                        Phone: 1-817-545-2502             
Email: [email-masked]             http://www.landfield.com/
Email: [email-masked]                   http://www.nfr.net/
Please send comp.sources.misc related mail to [email-masked]
Search the Usenet Hypertext FAQ Archive at http://www.faqs.org/faqs/