Subject: Re: web ftp

From: Paradise Cowgirl <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 17:13:10 -0700 (PDT)

Bob Luckin ([email-masked]) wrote:
>
> I'm not sure if it is true for Solaris 2.4, but under 2.5 if you don't
> have the permissions on ~ftp/dev/tcp set to 666, then passive connections
> don't work. Many web browsers use passive connections (not sure about MSIE),
> so this could be the cause of the problem.
> 
> FYI, my Solaris 2.5 settings are :-
> ls -l ~ftp/dev
> total 0
> crw-rw-rw- 1 root other 11, 42 Mar 13 1996 tcp
> crw-rw-rw- 1 root other 105, 1 Oct 25 1996 ticotsord
> crw-rw-rw- 1 root other 11, 14 Oct 25 1996 udp
> crw-rw-rw- 1 root other 13, 12 Mar 13 1996 zero
> but I expect the major and minor numbers may vary for 2.4
> 
> The original Solaris man page for ftpd should list the files and
> settings you need for anonymous access. Check that your system conforms to
> these.
> [...snip...]
> --
> Bob Luckin      

In addition, you can use ls -lL to check the permissions/settings in
the real, system /dev directory. On my Solaris 2.4 system, they are:

crw-rw-rw-   1 root     sys       11, 42 Jul 10  1995 tcp
crw-rw-rw-   1 root     sys      105,  1 Jul 10  1995 ticotsord
crw-rw-rw-   1 root     sys       11, 41 Oct 25  1994 udp
crw-rw-rw-   1 root     sys       13, 12 Oct 25  1994 zero

I haven't tested passive connections on my Solaris 2.4 system yet,
however, so I will tonight and if the above doesn't work, I will
post an update.

Cheers,
Darci Chapman
aka Paradise Cowgirl 

--
information is not knowledge. knowledge is not
wisdom.  wisdom is not truth.  truth is not beauty.
beauty is not love. love is not music.
music is the best.   -- FZ

---

From: Kevin Clancy PhD <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 18:30:36 -0600 (MDT)

> crw-rw-rw-   1 root     sys       13, 12 Oct 25  1994 zero

Hiya Paradise Cowgirl

I finally ended up with this in /dev

d--x--x--x   2 root     other        512 May 27 18:24 .
dr-xr-xr-x  11 root     other        512 Dec 11 15:43 ..
crw-rw-rw-   1 root     other     13,  2 May 27 18:01 null
crw-rw-rw-   1 root     other     11, 42 Dec 10 12:46 tcp
crw-rw-rw-   1 root     other    105,  1 Dec 10 12:48 ticotsord
crw-rw-rw-   1 root     other     11, 41 Dec 10 12:47 udp
crw-rw-rw-   1 root     other     13, 12 May 27 18:24 zero

I had a major number wrong for zero. I don't know why but adding null
helped - everything that should be is
visible.

Thanks to you and Bob Luckin.

Sincerely
Kevin Clancy

Eleanor Roosevelt Institute
1899 Gaylord St.,
Denver, CO 80206

[email-masked]
http://www-eri.uchsc.edu
ftp://eri.uchsc.edu