Subject: ftpaccess "message" broken?

From: Forrest Aldrich <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 14:40:38 -0400

It appears that the message directive is not working.

I've tried, in ftpaccess:

message	/local/home/ftp/.login	login	
message	/local/home/ftp/.login	login	all
message	/.login			login	all

And it doesn't work when the user logs in.  It does, however, display the
banner (before login) without trouble.

forrest

---

From: [email-masked] (Stan Barber)
Date: 11 May 1998 18:54:51 GMT

>banner (before login) without trouble.

Remember that -a is required on the command line to get this to work.

Check "ftp.sesqui.net" for an example of beta-17 with messages on 
a Solaris 2.6 system. ftp.academ.com is a BSD/OS 3.1 system with beta-17
and messages are working there.

-- 
Stan   | Academ Consulting Services        |internet: [email-masked]
Olan   | For more info on academ, see this |uucp: mcsun!academ!sob
Barber | URL- http://www.academ.com/academ |Opinions expressed are only mine.

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 14:56:57 -0400 (EDT)

> banner (before login) without trouble.

Looks broken to me too.  And for some time.  Just tried it on beta-12 and
get the same results.  'readme' works, 'message' doesn't.  Tried for anon
and guestgroups, my current site config doesn't have any non-chroot'd
users.  Maybe someone can test against beta 16 or 17 and with normal
users?

----

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195

---

From: Forrest Aldrich <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 15:17:47 -0400

I'm running this on FreeBSD-2.2.6-STABLE.  And according to the manpage, my
setup in FTPACCESS is correct.  The message should be displayed upon a user
login, and it doesn't happen.  It's not super critical, but thought I would
mention that there appears to be a problem with it.  I've tried changing
"login" to "LOGIN" just in case :-)

>From the manpage:
                
        message <path> {<when> {<class> ...}}
                Define a file with <path> such that ftpd will display
                the contents of the file to the user login time or
                upon using the change working directory command.  The
                <when> parameter may be "LOGIN" or "CWD=<dir>".  If
                <when> is "CWD=<dir>", <dir> specifies the new
                default directory which will trigger the notification.

For what it's worth, I've experienced odd problems with XINETD (the
precompiled
package) on FreeBSD... it wasn't parsing the configuration file (or didn't
seem
to be correctly).  So, I recompiled it myself and it worked fine.  Point
being,
maybe we have a system call bug?  Just speculation....

Forrie

---

From: "Gregory A. Parmer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 15:32:45 -0500 (CDT)

> users.  Maybe someone can test against beta 16 or 17 and with normal

The following seems to be working here on Solaris2.5.1 w/ beta16 for
anonymous and real logins:  
  message /welcome.msg login 
  message welcome.msg cwd=* 

FWIW--Good things take time. Testing takes even longer. Thanks for
your efforts Stan, Kent, and others who contribute to wu-ftpd.

If anyone here still uses "iisstat.pl" to generate statistics
and graphs, I've made some updates for our site.
For my changes/patches(?) and config file example, see
  ftp://ftp.acesag.auburn.edu/pub/unix/iisstat
For an example of stats produced, see
  http://www.acesag.auburn.edu/stats

The original iisstat.pl code is available from 
ftp://ftp.ccmail.com/pub/utils/InternetServices/iisstat/iisstat.html

-greg