Subject: Re: NEWVIRT, et al

From: "Jon P. deOng" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 12:05:19 -0700

Okay, Im letting you guys in on a little secret:). We hacked wuftpd to do
virtuals based on the login name. 
What we do is chroot() to the virtual directory based on the login name. We
standardized our login names to
user_domainname, so in order for bob to ftp to foo.com he would have to
login as bob_foo.com. We split the login name at the "_" character and then
chroot() to the /virtuals/domainname directory. We are using the "_"
character because it fits in with our other login schemes but ..you can use
any character you wish. In my opinion the users email address would be the
perfect fit. So user bob would log in as [email-masked]. If the directory
exists wuftpd chroots to the virtual domains directory. The authentication
is then based upon the chroot()/etc directory. This allows the domain to
have their own virtual users, anonymous users etc. Of course you will need
a /virtual/domainname/etc/passwd and /virtual/domain/etc/shells and a
statitically linked "ls" in /virtuals/domainname/bin, etc. Of course you
will have to give your virtual domains a cname for ftp.domainname to your
ftpserver. then have your ftp server mount the web server via nfs. If you
need more details shoot me an email. 
jpd

At 01:29 PM 5/21/98 -0400, Forrest Aldrich wrote:
>
>I want to virtually host a domain's ftp site, but not using a separate IP
>address, just the domain name.  How can this be accomplished (if at all)
>with the latest wu-ftpd-beta-17.  
>
>I noted Kent's NEWVIRT40 stuff, but am not sure which is current and what
>is what.
>
>
>Thanks.
>
>