Subject: Re: wu-ftpd 2.6.0 released

From: [email-masked] (Andy Church)
Date: Sat, 09 May 1998 09:34:49 EDT

>I'm curious why the virtual ftpd support put together by Kent Landfield
>hasn't been included in this release; instead you have introduced yet
>another completely new way of doing this, and sites that already use
>'The Landfield Method' will either have to painfully restructure their
>configurations or stop using wu-ftpd.

     First of all, wu-ftpd 2.6.0's method is not "another completely new
way" of implementing virtual server support; it's _directly_ derived from
the 2.4.2b16 virtual support.  Also, seeing as the two methods (Kent's and
ours) are not compatible, whichever one we included would have forced
people using the other method to switch.  And, to be honest, I have a
couple of problems with Kent's implementation of virtual servers
(particularly with the number of files it requires.)

     I will say that virtual server support in 2.7 is going to be improved
something along the lines of Kent's patch, alongside a partial remake of
the entire configuration scheme.  However, I'm afraid that won't be
appearing in 2.6, unless Kent wants to write a patch for it.

  --Andy Church                  | If Bell Atlantic really is the heart
    [email-masked]       | of communication, then it desperately
    www.dragonfire.net/~achurch/ | needs a quadruple bypass.

---

From: The Doctor <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 May 1998 09:21:08 -0600 (MDT)

> appearing in 2.6, unless Kent wants to write a patch for it.

AFAIK, the virtual support works like a charm no problem at all.

Where are potential problems?