Subject: Solaris 2.6 ls problem - works from shell, doesn't work from Netscape

From: "David C. Kovar" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 May 1998 17:27:59 -0700

I am running wu-2.4(2) on a Solaris 2.6 machine. If I connect to it from a
normal Unix client, everything works as expected. However, if I connect
with Netscape 4.X or WS-FTP under NT, no files or directories show up. It
connects, but nothing appears.

I've run ckconfig, checked everything against another server, and still
cannot figure out what is wrong. Any hints would be most appreciated.

-David

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 20:18:19 -0500 (CDT)

First upgrade to the latest version (below) for security and stability
reasons. Then check out the FAQ and guest howto to get 'ls' running.

   -- Michael

> connects, but nothing appears.

This is the location for the latest wu-ftpd.  You can't see the
directory contents, but get the file anyway.  It's there.

ftp://ftp.academ.com/pub/wu-ftpd/private/wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-16.tar.Z

wu-ftpd FAQ:  http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html
              OR
              send mail to [email-masked]
              with a subject line: send faq

guest howto:  ftp://ftp.fni.com/pub/wu-ftpd/guest-howto
              OR
              send mail to "[email-masked]"
              (immediate autoresponder; subject does not matter)

wu-ftpd Resource Center:  http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/
wu-ftpd list archive:     http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/mail-archive/

There are additional security references in the above docs.

---

From: "mike hiller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 May 1998 23:49:05 -0400

chmod 666 ~ftp/dev/tcp

this is documented in: 

http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html

								mqh

---

From: "David C. Kovar" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 May 1998 22:56:30 -0700

Will do, thanks. ls *does* work, just not from Netscape. But I'll upgrade
first and then worry about it.

-David

---

From: "David C. Kovar" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 May 1998 23:03:21 -0700

It already is mode 666, alas. 'ls' works fine if you use a Unix command
line ftp. It only seems to fail when accessing the site via Netscape.

Ah! The problem is that Netscape and ws_ftp use the "dir" command, and not
the ls command. So it is the "dir" command that is failing. ls, as I said,
is working fine.

-David

---

From: TTSG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 02:55:06 -0400 (EDT)

> the ls command. So it is the "dir" command that is failing. ls, as I said,
	I think I ran into this once myself.  It was a problem with the
~ftp/dev/tcp or ~ftp/dev/zero file being incorrect.  Check them CAREFULLY
and see if that helps.

			Tuc/TTSG

---

From: "Ing. Cuauhtemoc Cazares Flores" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 May 1998 13:09:59 -0600 (CST)

Hi!!!

Can I have virtual users in wu-ftpd?

and 

where can I obtained information about that?