Subject: wu-ftpd Academ prob

From: Mike Lowrie <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 May 1998 16:32:24 -0700

hey there very nice people of this list.. (how can u tell I need something
>:)  )

I'm running linux 2.0.23, and decided to move to wu-ftpd-2.4.2-academ-beta16.
I had a totally functional ftpd with no user problems (using wu-ftpd
2.4.2). with guest, real and anon  accounts.
I compiled, made sure all the pathnames were correct, installed it, didn't
change any config files
(except -a in inetd.conf) but when I goto connect to it locally, I get a
421 Service not avaliable. Remotely, I get socket connected.... but it just
sits there. 
Am I missing something here, or does anyone know what to do?  I've tried
several things with no success.

Thankx in advance
				Mike

---

From: [email-masked] (Andy Church)
Date: Wed, 06 May 1998 23:14:30 EDT

>> >I'm running linux 2.0.23, and decided to move to wu-ftpd-2.4.2-academ-beta16.
[...]
>Additionally, upgrade to at least 2.0.33, as there were several kernel
>security exploits fixed in later versions, as well as better memory
>management, among a ton of other fixes/features.

     Just for the record, 2.0.24 and later aren't as stable as 2.0.23 in my
experience; compare 12-24 hours uptime before a crash under the former to
months under the latter.  I'm waiting for 2.0.34, but I don't hold high
hopes...

     This is getting off-topic, so no more replies to the list, please.

  --Andy Church                  | If Bell Atlantic really is the heart
    [email-masked]       | of communication, then it desperately
    www.dragonfire.net/~achurch/ | needs a quadruple bypass.