Subject: Guestgroups and AIX

From: "Matthew Emmerton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 May 1998 14:55:37 -0400

We're running some RS/6000 F50's with AIX 4.2, and I'm trying to get
guestgroups to work.

I've followed the details in the guestgroup how-to to the letter, both the
way as written as well as using GID:UID pairs that seem to mirror the way
AIX does things (ie by the FAQ, bin/ls should be chown'ed to root:bin, but
under AIX it would appear to be bin:bin.) I've done that throughout for all
directories and files in my test guestgroup user's account.

Ckconfig doesn't show any problems, and all files exist that need to be
there for wu-ftpd to work . Regardless of what I try, I never see a home
directory of '/'.  Also, it never uses the ls in the ftptest user's
directory.  What am I missing?

PLEASE RESPOND TO [email-masked].

[Inetd.conf entry]
ftp     stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/bin/ftpd          -a -i -o -L
-n

[Snippets of /etc/ftpaccess]

# Local and Remote class definitions (allow real and "guest" users)
class   local   real,guest
class   remote  real,guest
# Log information
log commands real,guest
# ensure guest users can't do anything special
# real users will still be able to do it all
delete          no      guest   # delete permission?
overwrite       no      guest   # overwrite permission?
renam           no      guest   # rename permission?
chmod           no      guest   # chmod permission?
umask           no      guest   # umask permission?

# keep "guest" users from having funky filenames
path-filter  guest      /etc/pathmsg  ^[-A-Za-z0-9_\.]*$  ^\.  ^-

# last but not least, specify which GID names are the "guests" guestgroup
ftpuser

[/etc/passwd]
ftptest:!:206:201:FTP Test User (Contact Matthew
Emmerton):/home/ftptest/./:/usr/bin/ftpon

[/etc/group]
ftpuser:!:201:ftptest

---

From: Joseph Matusiewicz <[email-masked]>
Date: 08 May 1998 08:04:08 -0400

>guestgroups to work
     
     Matthew,
     
     I'm not quite sur of what your question is but I' assuming that when 
     your "guests" login, they go to the root directory instead of the 
     directory that you want them to go to.  I'm using the same hardware 
     and oslevel as you and beta 15 works fine for me.  What I have found 
     out (and have never been able to overcome) is the way that the "guest" 
     user appears in the real /etc/passwd file.  If I put 
     /home/ftptest/./:/usr/bin/ftpon in the passwd file the chroot does not 
     work and they go to the real root directory.  If I simply put 
     /home/ftptest in the real passwd directory it works just fine.  Feel 
     free to contact me offline.
     
     Hope this helps....

joe matusiewicz                            
national weather service       
silver spring, md 20910       
301.713.0864 ext 174           
[email-masked]