Subject: Re: wu-ftpd Academ prob

From: [email-masked] (Andy Church)
Date: Wed, 06 May 1998 21:46:58 EDT

>I'm running linux 2.0.23, and decided to move to wu-ftpd-2.4.2-academ-beta16.
>I had a totally functional ftpd with no user problems (using wu-ftpd
>2.4.2). with guest, real and anon  accounts.
>I compiled, made sure all the pathnames were correct, installed it, didn't
>change any config files
>(except -a in inetd.conf) but when I goto connect to it locally, I get a
>421 Service not avaliable. Remotely, I get socket connected.... but it just
>sits there. 

     That's probably the single-command-line bug.  Get the following patch:

ftp://achurch.dragonfire.net/wu-ftpd/b16-fix.patch

and apply it to clean b16 sources, recompile, and you should be fine.  Or
you may want to look at:

ftp://achurch.dragonfire.net/wu-ftpd/b16plus.patch

which adds quite a bit more functionality to beta 16.

  --Andy Church                  | If Bell Atlantic really is the heart
    [email-masked]       | of communication, then it desperately
    www.dragonfire.net/~achurch/ | needs a quadruple bypass.

---

From: Dave Wreski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 23:08:35 -0400 (EDT)

> >I'm running linux 2.0.23, and decided to move to wu-ftpd-2.4.2-academ-beta16.

[...]

>      That's probably the single-command-line bug.  Get the following patch:

Additionally, upgrade to at least 2.0.33, as there were several kernel
security exploits fixed in later versions, as well as better memory
management, among a ton of other fixes/features.

2.0.34 will be out any day now..

Dave

---

From: Mike Lowrie <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 14:22:43 -0700

>>      That's probably the single-command-line bug.  Get the following patch:
Got the patch, works great, but after upgrading to 2.4.2-academ-beta-16 and
also to wu-ftpd 2.6.1, each new version denied logins from real and guest
users. Only anon users could log in. Was working great with the regular
2.4.2-beta-16. Am I missing a switch (already using -a) or did I forget
something when I compiled the source???
		Thankx in advance
						Mike Lowrie