Subject: Strange behaviour of Wu-ftpd

From: Shen Jing <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 17:19:27 +0900

Hello:

  I have just noticed a strange phenomenon of wu-ftpd 2.4.2 Beta-16
, that :

    One of our clients who rent 10M disk space on our server to set up
its virtual server . 
    
    I set up his home dir and user name like the following :

    user name: linjing (UID 2008)
    group :   linjing  (GID 65543)
    home dir:  /disk5/s1/clients/linjing
    sh:   /bin/guestsh 

  /* guestsh is shell script which just let user  change their passwd */

   also , I copy the files and directorys under ~ftp  to its home
directory to facilitate the chroot .

   then I put the group linjing to ftpaccess's guestgroup defination .

   As  before , this will result user just can  ftp to his own
directory, can not go up to other directory .

   But this time , when I test this I found that :

---------------------------------------------------------------------
ftp> open china.pages.com.cn
Connected to china.pages.com.cn.
220 china FTP server (Version wu-2.4.2-academ[BETA-16](1) Tue Jan 20
13:47:39 CST 1998) ready.
Name (china.pages.com.cn:sj): linjing
331 Password required for linjing.
Password:
230 User linjing logged in.  Access restrictions apply.
ftp> dir
200 PORT command successful.
425 Can't create data socket (0.0.0.0,20): No such file or directory.
ftp> dir
200 PORT command successful.
425 Can't create data socket (0.0.0.0,20): No such file or directory.
ftp> bye
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

   I tried all the method mentioned in wu-ftpd FAQ and maillist , but
can not solve it . 
   So , I set up another  account for it :

    user name: linj (UID 2024)
    group :   lingrp (GID 2012)
    home dir:  /disk5/s1/clients/linj
    sh:   /bin/guestsh 

    and do as the last account .

   test it , all goes well ?! 

   I am really mysterious ! why ? Are there a name or group limit for 
wu-ftpd 2.4.2 Beta16 ? 

Jing Shen

Mail to:  [email-masked]

-- 
Jing Shen

Mail to:  [email-masked]

---

From: Ben Mehlman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 10:51:46 -0400 (EDT)

I don't think so, but there IS a limit in unix- Group id is a uint16, so the
maximum value is 65535.

-Ben Mehlman
[email-masked]

>    I am really mysterious ! why ? Are there a name or group limit for 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ben Mehlman             "It doesn't matter", I say, and I start to pick up
Prodigy Services Corp   the broken glass shards.  "I knew it would happen."
[email-masked]   "Then why you don't stop it?" asks my mother.
                        And it's such a simple question.  -Amy Tan

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 11:20:43 -0400 (EDT)

> I don't think so, but there IS a limit in unix- Group id is a uint16, so the

And some systems (ie., Linux) behave strange if you use ID numbers 65534
and 65535.  Dunno about other systems, but I'd say keep the id numbers
smaller just to be sure .. you never know but what some software may
mistakenly assumes IDs are signed so I'd try to stay below 32767.

----

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195