Subject: NEWVIRT, et al

From: Forrest Aldrich <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 13:29:52 -0400

I want to virtually host a domain's ftp site, but not using a separate IP
address, just the domain name.  How can this be accomplished (if at all)
with the latest wu-ftpd-beta-17.  

I noted Kent's NEWVIRT40 stuff, but am not sure which is current and what
is what.

Thanks.

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 13:37:05 -0400 (EDT)

> with the latest wu-ftpd-beta-17.  

It can't be done with any FTP server.  Try a web server instead and serve
the files as pages.

----

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195

---

From: [email-masked] (greg_piney)
Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 13:53:07 -0400

You can't do any type of "virtual serving" without unique IP numbers.
Kent Landfield  explained this to me when I asked the same question.
It is not the server restricting this, it is TCPIP. TCPIP communication
is done ONLY by IP number. His code works GREAT with
multiple IP numbers. By the way, a given machine can handle many
IP numbers.

Greg Piney
Sr. Software Engineer
The McGraw-Hill Companies

---

From: Ben Mehlman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 14:21:15 -0400 (EDT)

No, you -can- do "virtual" web servers without multiple IP addresses,
because the http protocol allows the client to tell the server the fully
qualified name of the server, and all the common browsers do that now.  Of
course you can still bind the server to multiple IP addresses if you have
them.  With FTP, the client doesn't give the server this information, so the
only way to do it is with the multiple IP addresses.

-Ben Mehlman
[email-masked]

> > Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ben Mehlman             "It doesn't matter", I say, and I start to pick up
Prodigy Services Corp   the broken glass shards.  "I knew it would happen."
[email-masked]   "Then why you don't stop it?" asks my mother.
                        And it's such a simple question.  -Amy Tan

---

From: Mike Hedlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 11:37:21 -0700 (PDT)

Thats true... but a few months ago i was trying to figure out a way around
it... the only thing i came up with was user/pass differences: if your
giving the link on a web page, and your expect most of the people to click
on it.. you can just specify a different username in the url.. then have
the ftpd process it different based off username supplied.. of course this
would only work for anonymous sites... and for people who use cmd line
clients you would have to put a little notice up before login.. something
like 'user username X for access to site.X.com, username Y for access to
site.Y.com...' .....

Maybe i was smoking crack... :P

-mike