Subject: directories in incoming?

From: "Andy Mell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 12:02:57 +0100

Hello,

I am having a problem with wu-ftp 2.4.2, where I need to use multiple
incoming directories on the same ftp server, so that various people can
maintain their own incoming directories and I also want users to be able to
create directories within the incoming directories. In order to do this
safely we have to ensure that the new directory itself is created and
chowned.

Heres an exerpt from ftpaccess:

upload /export/ftp * no
upload /export/ftp /pub/www/incoming* yes www infoserv 0660 dirs

Now if an anonymous user wishes to put a whole load of files into
/pub/www/incoming, they normally create a directory say
/pub/www/incoming/myfiles/ to put the files in and to keep things tidy. I do
not know what the directory name is going to be beforehand. The myfiles
directory is created as owned by ftp, group other, I want it to be owned by
www, public write only, no public read access.

My second problem is that the files put in /pub/www/incoming/myfiles are not
chowned to www once they have been put in that directory, leaving the
directory owner (www) unable to delete files. Files placed in
/pub/www/incoming are correctly chowned after uploading.

Hope someone has some ideas how to get round this?

Thanks

Andy

---

From: Wilhelm Mueller <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 13:51:23 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi Andy,

about two years ago, I modified beta13 to allow explicit specification 
of permissions and ownership of newly created directories.  I haven't
upgraded it later on because our ftp server runs Solaris 2.5.1 and I
can now obtain the desired behaviour--at least as far as is important
to me--with POSIX ACLs.

Anyhow, here is my patch, but remember, it was for beta13.

--

You can't hold a man down without staying down with him.
		-- Booker T. Washington

-- 

  ***************************************************
   Der Senator für Bau, Verkehr und Stadtentwicklung
   Referat 43            (Dienststelle Schlachte 32)
   Wilhelm Müller             Tel: +49-421-361-10629
   Ansgaritorstraße 2         Fax: +49-421-361-2295
   D-28195 Bremen, Germany

   Bits KeyID    Fingerprint
   2048 C2F0A2D1 B1452644 DEBB647F 94AA3DA9 01608E0A
   1024 9548B531 AE9AD94C 978ABC3F 4B25B52B 1E752137
    512 48B324ED 885C3131 DDF53740 DB7F9421 2A5431EE