Subject: wu-ftpd 2.6.0 released

From: Bernhard Rosenkraenzer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 May 1998 22:02:54 +0200 (CEST)

As the original wu-ftpd maintainers have apparently disappeared, we (Andy
Church, [email-masked] and Bernhard Rosenkränzer,
[email-masked]) have taken over maintenance of wu-ftpd.

The first resulting version, 2.6.0, has been released.
It is on ftp://ftp.croftj.net/usr/bero/wu-ftpd, and should appear on
sunsite.unc.edu, tsx-11.mit.edu and their mirrors shortly.

Major changes in 2.6.0 (relative to wu-ftpd-academ 2.4.2b16):
+ Uses Autoconf
+ Mail-to-admin on anonymous uploads added
+ Virtual FTP support improved
+ "include" ftpaccess directive added
+ UIDs/GIDs in "upload" directive can be specified by number
+ PORT argument checking can be disabled (configure --disable-portcheck)
+ Specific E-mail addresses for anonymous password can be refused
* Single-argument bug (e.g. "wu.ftpd -a") fixed
* Process title now displays "ftpd:" instead of "sendmail:" and suppresses
     any trailing newline
* Some code cleanup (unnecessary #include's removed)
* Documentation updated

We have also introduced a new version number scheme, based on the one used
for the Linux kernel.
Versions with an even minor number (2.6.x, 2.8.x, ...) are
considered stable. There will not be any major features added in them,
only bugs fixed.
Versions with odd minor numbers (2.7.x, 2.9.x, ...) are experimental
versions, primarily there to test new features and major changes. If you
need a reliable ftp server, don't use them unless you absolutely need one
of their features.

One of our future goals is to release bug fixes as soon as they're found,
and to permit access to the current development tree using anonymous CVS.
(HINT: We're still looking for a server to host this. If you have one, let
us know...)

If you find any bugs in the 2.6.0 release, contact
[email-masked].

---
Windows 95 is NOT a virus - a virus is small and efficient.
***
Anyone sending unwanted advertising e-mail to this address will be charged
$25 for network traffic and computing time. By extracting my address from
this message or its header, you agree to these terms.

---

From: The Doctor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 May 1998 17:45:12 -0600 (MDT)

> [email-masked].

Bugs it is compiling for BSDI 3.1.

I have released a working package for BSDI 3.1 but
check on ftp.nl2k.ab.ca/pub/Unix and pick up the copy I have
and call me for the necessary modifications.

Also, and BSD Unix who is having Out-of-the-box problems can grab
the above package and see how I compile wu-ftpd 2.6.0

---

From: Bernhard Rosenkraenzer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 May 1998 09:48:12 +0200 (CEST)

> and call me for the necessary modifications.

Please send us a diff (diff -urN original-copy modified-copy >patch.diff).

LLaP
bero

---

---

From: Jason Spears <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 May 1998 09:05:43 -0400 (EDT)

>[email-masked]) have taken over maintenance of wu-ftpd.

I'm curious why the virtual ftpd support put together by Kent Landfield
hasn't been included in this release; instead you have introduced yet
another completely new way of doing this, and sites that already use
'The Landfield Method' will either have to painfully restructure their
configurations or stop using wu-ftpd.

Jason Spears