Subject: Enough is enough

From: [email-masked] (Andy Church)
Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 10:41:30 EDT

Well, apparently my reasoning ability is not at its peak at the
moment.  I'm going to say this (speaking ONLY for myself here) and then
shut up.

     I think we goofed, and goofed in a rather spectacular way.  Dropping
this on the list was NOT the way to go.  Moreover, since then, tensions
have been running pretty high, and as most of you probably realize, that
causes common sense and coolness to fall by the wayside sometimes.  I want
to apologize personally for adding to the confusion by dropping the 2.6.1
notice on everyone as well.

     I'll let Bernhard say the rest (seeing as he's smartly not been
getting involved in the brouhaha).

  --Andy Church                  | If Bell Atlantic really is the heart
    [email-masked]       | of communication, then it desperately
    www.dragonfire.net/~achurch/ | needs a quadruple bypass.

---

From: "Richard L. Goerwitz III" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 14:29:21 -0400 (EDT)

> this on the list was NOT the way to go.

Good technical people are often driven by inner forces that cause them to
be volatile or just plain abrasive - especially when their work is called
into question.

Although we've seen a few hard fouls, and probably a few relationships will
remain tense, I don't think anybody has anything to apologize for.

The fact is that, despite the inevitable failures and missteps, some very
good work has been done.  And we recognize the individuals that have done
it (patches, ideas, and all).

Thanks,

Richard Goerwitz
Brown University