Subject: Quotas

From: Forrest Aldrich <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 11:53:10 -0400

Are there any immediate plans to implement some sort of quota/disk space
control in wu-ftpd?  Though it would be sensible to integrate this support
into what the OS supports, I think that having a separate control would be
useful as well.  For example:  someone's FTP homedir is on the same
filesystem as /local, and you don't want to implement quotas, but want to
control disk space usage in the FTP area (prevent denial of service on disk
space, perhaps).  This would probably require a separate configuration
directive, such as:

	quota	/local/home/ftp	/users/joeschmoe	10M

with the present ftpaccess file format, that is.

Perhaps if the configuration gets changed to BIND-8.x.x style, it might end
up being on a per directory basis in braces:

	directory	/users/joeschmoe	{  	// relative to FTPROOT/FTPHOME
		quota	10M;
		uploads	/incoming:0600:joeschmoe:users;	// some form to control perms and
direction
		[ ... ]
	}

Forrie

---

From: chuck <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 17:51:18 -0400 (EDT)

Would this not be better handled at the File System level?
Use joeschmoe_ftp (same uid) with a tighter quota or something
like that?

Given how stateless ftpd tends to be, counting system space
use every time someone 'puts' a file would just become an
I/O nightmare for most large sites.

> 		uploads	/incoming:0600:joeschmoe:users;	// some form to control perms and

I must say, it's harder to parse, initially, but more readable and
flexible a setup.  Did the BIND folks leave any useful routines
around like  an API including the ever useful routine:
"read_this_conf_and_leave_it_in_the_structure_of_linked_structures()"?