Subject: getpeername (in.ftpd): Connection reset by peer

From: "David Hartt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 13:25:49 -0700

I am running Solaris 2.51 with wu-ftpd Version wu-2.4.2-academ[BETA-15](1).

I am getting the following error messages:

May 27 08:51:03 ftpserver ftpd[8242]: getpeername (in.ftpd): Connection
reset by peer
May 27 08:51:13 ftpserver ftpd[8228]: getpeername (in.ftpd): Connection
reset by peer
May 27 08:51:29 ftpserver ftpd[8274]: getpeername (in.ftpd): Connection
reset by peer
May 27 08:51:34 ftpserver ftpd[8345]: getpeername (in.ftpd): Connection
reset by peer
May 27 08:52:05 ftpserver ftpd[8405]: getpeername (in.ftpd): Connection
reset by peer
May 27 08:52:12 ftpserver ftpd[8291]: getpeername (in.ftpd): Connection
reset by peer
May 27 08:52:12 ftpserver ftpd[8283]: getpeername (in.ftpd): Connection
reset by peer
May 27 08:52:14 ftpserver ftpd[8378]: getpeername (in.ftpd): Connection
reset by peer
May 27 08:52:29 ftpserver ftpd[8164]: getpeername (in.ftpd): Connection
reset by peer
May 27 08:52:37 ftpserver ftpd[8340]: getpeername (in.ftpd): Connection
reset by peer
May 27 08:52:53 ftpserver ftpd[8240]: getpeername (in.ftpd): Connection
reset by peer
May 27 08:52:53 ftpserver ftpd[8189]: getpeername (in.ftpd): Connection
reset by peer
May 27 08:53:43 ftpserver ftpd[8219]: getpeername (in.ftpd): Connection
reset by peer

Can anyone shed light on this issue?

Thanks,

David Hartt

---

From: [email-masked] (Andy Church)
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 17:25:16 EDT

>May 27 08:51:03 ftpserver ftpd[8242]: getpeername (in.ftpd): Connection

     That's perfectly ordinary; what it indicates is that the remote side
of the connection closed it before wu-ftpd had a chance to get the socket
information.  Of course, it _could_ indicate that someone's portscanning
you, but only if you see a bunch of other things like telnet complaining
about the same thing at the same time.  Normally I don't worry about them.

  --Andy Church                  | If Bell Atlantic really is the heart
    [email-masked]       | of communication, then it desperately
    www.dragonfire.net/~achurch/ | needs a quadruple bypass.