Subject: fast anonymous ftpd for large sites?

From: Dan Kegel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 May 1998 08:12:41 -0700

Dear wu-ftpd crowd,

I help run a site that offers free downloads of patches
and demos for my company's games.  We often have hundreds of
people downloading, and I'd like to support 1000 simultaneous users.
The server is rather underpowered (a Pentium 200 with 64MB RAM), so I'm
interested in decreasing the resources needed to serve each user.

For http transfers, I gained a lot by switching from Apache to thttpd; see
http://www.alumni.caltech.edu/~dank/fixing-overloaded-web-server.html
Is there a similar stripped-down, highly efficient, nonforking ftp
server?

I've read http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html#QA60
but the 'large site' patch for wu-ftpd still forks a new copy of ftpd
for each incoming connection.

Thanks,
Dan

---

From: Dan Kegel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 May 1998 08:33:45 -0700

I wrote:
>Is there a similar stripped-down, highly efficient, 
>nonforking ftp server?

Of course, as soon as I posted that, the right search keys
occurred to me, and I found two:
1. Troll Ftpd; free; http://www.troll.no/freebies/ftpd.html
2. nc-ftpd; nonfree; http://www.probe.net/~mgleason/ncftpd/

- Dan