Subject: New config format

From: Forrest Aldrich <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 08:52:37 -0400

On the note of newer configuration formats... I ran across another wu-ftpd
spinoff called "proftpd", http://www.proftpd.org/.  They have added some
interesting features and a somewhat different, apache-like,
configuration... all in one file.

Might be good to peek at.  I don't think this spinoff is getting much
development, though.

Forrest

---

From: Teknix <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 09:37:30 -0400

>Might be good to peek at.  I don't think this spinoff is getting much

Quite the contrary... I'm in contact with one of the people that
contributes to it, who is in contact with the original author.  I was
having problems getting it to compile on Solaris 2.6 x86, and had a patch
within a few minutes.  They are actively working on it.

The apache like config files give you a lot of flexibility, but can be
confusing at first if you're not already familiar with apache.  The nice
thing about proftpd is that you do not need the typical /bin, /dev, /etc,
and /usr directories for each anon-ftp hiearchy as you do in wu-ftpd.  I
wouldn't use it for a production box just yet.. but if it keeps going as it
is I will switch.

BTW, I posted previously about problems with wu-ftpd b17 sigsev'ing on my
Solaris 2.6 x86 box.  I don't know what changed, but I stopped getting
those messages and everything appears to work properly now.  Very weird.

+----------------------------------------------------------------------+
|     Phillip Smith          \\\      E-mail: [email-masked]         |
| Senior Tech. Specialist     )))     WWW:    http://www.ntplx.net/    |
|      NETPLEX LLC           ///      V:(860)233-1111, F:(860)232-2221 |
+----------------------------------------------------------------------+