Subject: Re: Bugs fixed

From: [email-masked] (Andy Church)
Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 10:01:06 EDT

Kent, BeroFTPD was Bernhard's invention, not mine.  My intention from
the start was to work on wu-ftpd--while still calling it wu-ftpd.  I agree
(and it seems Bernhard does too) that the announcement of 2.6.0 was badly
timed and in bad taste (not to mention the compiling problems).  If
Bernhard wants to rename his copy back to BeroFTPD, that's fine with me,
but I plan to keep working on wu-ftpd as it is.  (I suppose I could be
convinced to rename mine to something like wu-ftpd-plus...)

     And for those people who _are_ using **-ftpd 2.6.0, it seemed
reasonable to let them know the problems in 2.6.0 were fixed.

  --Andy Church                  | If Bell Atlantic really is the heart
    [email-masked]       | of communication, then it desperately
    www.dragonfire.net/~achurch/ | needs a quadruple bypass.

># 
>#      I realize this may be a bad time, but...
>
>Then do something about it and don't make it worse.
>
>#      An updated version of the archive Bernhard and I made available
># recently, which fixes most (hopefully all) of the bugs reported to us plus
># a few others, can be found at this URL:
>
>It started out as BeroFTPD and you changed the name to WU-FTPD. This 
>was a mistake and is currently at the center of the problem.
>
># ftp://wuftpd.dragonfire.net/wu-ftpd-2.6.1.tar.gz
>
>Should be
>
># ftp://wuftpd.dragonfire.net/beroftpd-2.6.1.tar.gz
>#
># In the midst of the current controversy, I should state that this is simply
># our effort to continue development and fix bugs in wu-ftpd; this release is
># numbered 2.6.1 simply because the last one was numbered 2.6.0, for better
># or for worse.  Use it if you like, or use Stan's latest release (currently
># 2.4.2 beta 16) if you like.
>
>Do you intend to continue to intentionally confuse and splinter the
>wu-ftpd community ? If so, this is not productive. Do us all a favor and
>change the name back to beroftpd.  You can still continue development 
>and fix bugs. That doen't need to change, just the name (back to what
>it started as.) Thanks.
>
>#   --Andy Church                  | If Bell Atlantic really is the heart
>#     [email-masked]       | of communication, then it desperately
>#     www.dragonfire.net/~achurch/ | needs a quadruple bypass.
>
>-- 
>Kent Landfield                        Phone: 1-817-545-2502             
>Email: [email-masked]             http://www.landfield.com/
>Email: [email-masked]                   http://www.nfr.net/
>Please send comp.sources.misc related mail to [email-masked]
>Search the Usenet Hypertext FAQ Archive at http://www.faqs.org/faqs/