Subject: Missing Umlauts in dir command

From: Uwe Schuerkamp <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 13:43:09 +0200 (CEST)

Dear wu-gurus, 

I'm having a problem with wu-ftpd 2.4 under Solaris 2.5.1
(yes again! ;-) which is not covered in the FAQ (oh, no! ;-).

As a normal user ls and dir on a certain directory containing
file names with German Umlauts in them (öäü, for example) show
all files correctly.

As an anonymous user however only ls shows them, dir stops just after the
first file name containing an umlaut is listed.

Is this a known problem, and if so, what can I do about it?

Thanks in advance for any help,

uwe.

Uwe Schuerkamp  //////////////////////// Phone: +49 5241 80 10 66
Telemedia Bertelsmann AG \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ Fax:   +49 5241 80 95 18
Carl-Bertelsmann-Str. 161 I //////////// uwe.schuerkamp at telemedia.de
33311 Guetersloh \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ http://www.telemedia.de/~hoover

---

From: [email-masked] (Andy Church)
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 10:14:04 EDT

>(yes again! ;-) which is not covered in the FAQ (oh, no! ;-).

     First step:  Upgrade to 2.4.2b16, which has lots of useful fixes.
(ftp://ftp.academ.com/pub/wu-ftpd/private/wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-16.tar.Z)

>first file name containing an umlaut is listed.

     Are you sure this isn't a client problem?  I have no trouble listing
files with umlauted characters in their names.

  --Andy Church                  | If Bell Atlantic really is the heart
    [email-masked]       | of communication, then it desperately
    www.dragonfire.net/~achurch/ | needs a quadruple bypass.