Subject: Trusted Users

From: "Tom Erbe" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 13:44:54 -0400

I have a system that has a group of users that need to occasionally transfer files to and from their PC's.  Since going to a graphical ftp client, I have run into the problem of users traversing up the tree allowing them access to directories that are normally secured by the method they use to access the database.  My question is, is there any way to prevent this through a configuration parameter?  Is there a way to point a user back to their home directory if they click on the folder higher up in the directory tree.  I hope that I explained this clear enough.  I don't usually support this aspect of our systems, so please excuse if this is really a nephyte question.

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 18:01:09 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 27 Apr 1998, Tom Erbe wrote:

> I have a system that has a group of users that need to occasionally
> transfer files to and from their PC's.  Since going to a graphical ftp
> client, I have run into the problem of users traversing up the tree
> allowing them access to directories that are normally secured by the
> method they use to access the database.  My question is, is there any
> way to prevent this through a configuration parameter?  Is there a way
> to point a user back to their home directory if they click on the folder
> higher up in the directory tree.  I hope that I explained this clear
> enough.  I don't usually support this aspect of our systems, so please
> excuse if this is really a nephyte question. 

You want to set up all your users as guests.  Read the FAQ and the howto.

The location of the latest version of wu-ftpd can be found in the 
directory
 
      ftp://ftp.academ.com/pub/wu-ftpd/private/
 
You can't see the directory contents, so read the message informing you
of the actual filename to retrieve. It's there.
 
wu-ftpd Resource Center:  http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/
wu-ftpd FAQ:              http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html
wu-ftpd list archive:     http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/mail-archive/

----

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              email: [email-masked] [205.133.13.8]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    voice: +1 (937) 299-7653