Subject: Re: usr and dev

From: [email-masked] (Andy Church)
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 1998 11:25:15 EDT

>I am new to wu-ftp and have a question in regards to real and guest 
>accounts.  Is it necessary to have /usr and /dev in the directory 
>structure?  I know I need /bin and I think I need /etc (although I am not 
>doing anonymous ftp so I'm not sure about that either).  All this site is 
>going to be is a drop-off for real and guest users, no anonymous, nothing 
>fancy, just chrooted to an ftp directory and let them upload.  If I don't 
>need all that stuff in there then why put it there?

     It depends on what system you're using.  On Linux, and probably
others, you can get away with just /bin (containing a statically-linked
ls).  On Solaris you'll need /dev with several devices in it.  You
shouldn't need a /usr or /lib unless you can't compile ls statically (in
which case you'd want to copy libc from wherever it is in the real
filesystem to the equivalent location in the FTP tree).  You don't need
/etc for most purposes--it'll give you names instead of UIDs/GIDs in
directory listings, but it's not necessary for FTP to work.

  --Andy Church                  | If Bell Atlantic really is the heart
    [email-masked]       | of communication, then it desperately
    www.dragonfire.net/~achurch/ | needs a quadruple bypass.