Subject: Re: Spaces in filenames

From: [email-masked] (Andy Church)
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 23:24:40 EDT

>I am using wu-ftpd on Linux 2.0.33, and I am trying to get wu-ftpd 
>accept spaces in filenames on upload.
>I have tried this line as a path filter in ftpaccess:
>
>	anonymous  /etc/pathmsg  ^[-A-Za-z0-9_. ]*$  ^\.  ^-
>
>Unfortunately this won't work. Since the server uses the standard 
>regcomp/regex functions I thought it would, but no. When I try to 
>upload a file with spaces in it, I get the following message:
>	
>	"Unmatched [ or [^: No such file or directory."
>
>I've had this problem with all versions of wu-ftpd I've tested, so
>it isn't exactly new. 

     This is due to the way wu-ftpd parses the ftpaccess file: any space
or tab is considered an argument delimiter.  The parser doesn't know
anything about regular expressions, so ^[... ] gets separated into two
arguments, and when they are later used by the regular expression code,
they don't work.  You could try putting a backslash before the space; I
don't know off the top of my head whether that would work.

  --Andy Church                  | If Bell Atlantic really is the heart
    [email-masked]       | of communication, then it desperately
    www.dragonfire.net/~achurch/ | needs a quadruple bypass.

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 06:29:34 -0400 (EDT)

> don't know off the top of my head whether that would work.

Nah.  Needs a hack if one's not already available.  This is the second
request for this in as many months.  I'm way too busy right now, anyone
else got time/inclination?

----

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195