Subject: problem with ftpd 2.4.2b16

From: Adam <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 05:00:35 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,
I upgraded to 2.4.2b16 so I could change the banner that is displayed at
login (the "<hostname> FTP server <version> ready" banner which must be
changed from the source code.)  It worked, and when my welcome message
wouldn't display, I read in the FAQ that new versions require the -a
option when starting the server for ftpaccess to be read.

I have added -a to the line in inetd.conf in every way I can imagine,
re-read inetd.conf each time, and no matter what, if -a is in there
_anywhere_, I get "421 Service not available, remote server
has closed connection." when I try to log in.

I've tried compiling both with and w/o my source change -- no difference.

Any ideas would be really appreciated.  And thanks for such quick replies
to my first question, by the way.

Adam
--**--
[email-masked]
http://simpler-computing.ml.org

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 06:15:30 -0400 (EDT)

> to my first question, by the way.

Known bug.  Run with more than one command line option, or grab the patch
from the mailing list archives.

----

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              email: [email-masked] [205.133.13.8]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    voice: +1 (937) 299-7653