Subject: CHROOT

From: "Emad El-Azhary" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 1998 13:19:17 +0200

I need to setup wu-ftpd for my customers to be able to FTP to/from their
HOME directory only, we want to prevent users from changing to /etc and
downloading passwd file or any other system files. I appreciate any method
that does not have to change anything in the PASSWD file itself (like the
guest method), however, it that is the only way, then I need detail
instructions.

Regards,
Emad El-Azhary

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 1998 09:55:29 -0400 (EDT)

> guest method), however, it that is the only way, then I need detail

That's the only way.  Detailed instructions are in the guestgroup howto
which you can find referenced in the FAQ and at the Resource Center.

The location of the latest version of wu-ftpd can be found in the 
directory
 
      ftp://ftp.academ.com/pub/wu-ftpd/private/
 
You can't see the directory contents, so read the message informing you
of the actual filename to retrieve. It's there.
 
wu-ftpd Resource Center:  http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/
wu-ftpd FAQ:              http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html
wu-ftpd list archive:     http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/mail-archive/

----

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              email: [email-masked] [205.133.13.8]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    voice: +1 (937) 299-7653

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 1998 14:33:59 -0500 (CDT)

The guest ftp howto will explain this.

   -- Michael

> downloading passwd file or any other system files. I appreciate any method

This is the location for the latest wu-ftpd.  You can't see the
directory contents, but get the file anyway.  It's there.

ftp://ftp.academ.com/pub/wu-ftpd/private/wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-16.tar.Z

wu-ftpd FAQ:  http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html
              OR
              send mail to [email-masked]
              with a subject line: send faq

guest howto:  ftp://ftp.fni.com/pub/wu-ftpd/guest-howto
              OR
              send mail to "[email-masked]"
              (immediate autoresponder; subject does not matter)

There are additional security references in the above docs.