Subject: Site To Site Copying

From: Simon <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 1998 12:20:34 -0400

Hope you guys have time for hopefully a "not" stupid question.  I am currently working on a Redhat 5.0 Linux server.  Have got everything setup all except for one thing.  I currently need to get site to site copy to work.  I have read quite a few articles that say wu-ftp does not support this feature.  Your documentation mentions the commands PASV and PORT also including the coin phrase "site to site".  Have done much searching through the internet on this topic and it has to be the most elusive information (not saying I haven't found anything).  A friend of mine runs an identical setup and somehow managed to get it working (wu-ftpd 2.4.2 beta 15(1) - have tried a compiled version of Nov and Dec).  He can't remember what he did.  Needless to say he has since reformatted that system and it no longer works after fresh install.

One thing I did notice was an article talking about possible attacks and security risks.  How do I turn on the port command in that case.  I know now that it can't be a compiled option and must be a setting.  I have done a site to site going out from my server, but not in.  My friend could do both.  Also have thorougly tested this remote/local with multiple users and OS'es.

When I do a site to site copy the server claims that it does not recognize the port command.  I have not changed any port addresses either.  There was another article that mentioned assigning dedicated ports for this purpose, but cannot find the article again.  I am running masquerade (my friend also) and am not sure if this would propose a problem.  And yes, I have tried roughly four programs capable of site to site.  Hope you will have some helpful feedback on this.  Any info would be grately appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your trouble.
PS: Hope this isn't the millionth email on the subject :)

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 1998 19:13:58 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 12 Apr 1998, Simon wrote:

> copy to work.  I have read quite a few articles that say wu-ftp does not
> support this feature.  Your documentation mentions the commands PASV and
> PORT also including the coin phrase "site to site".  Have done much

The ftp server doesn't support this any more because it turns out to be a
security problem.  The original intention of the RFC was to allow a user
on machine A to ftp files from machine B to machine C.  wu-ftpd doesn not
allow this, other servers may but shouldn't either.

> searching through the internet on this topic and it has to be the most
> elusive information (not saying I haven't found anything).  A friend of

What you want is to run a mirror from one machine to the other.  Mirror is
an ftp client, or a script for an ftp client (there are several mirrors
available).  I don't have a need for mirroring, so I've never grabbed one
but I'm sure they're easy to find.

----

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              email: [email-masked] [205.133.13.8]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    voice: +1 (937) 299-7653