Subject: Re: Problem with "site newer" & "site exec"

From: Harshal Savalia <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 19:31:37 IST

Hello Andy,

	I  tried  to  debug  the  wu-ftpd  code.  I found  that  newer()
	function  calls   dataconn()   function.  Which  in  turn  calls
	connect()   socket   call.  But  it   fails   with   errno   239
	(ECONNREFUSED).  So what do you think, is this really ftp client
	problem ?

	I also checked up the commands 
		quote "NLST"
		   and
		quote "LIST"

	They are also failing with the same error message.

	Should I use PORT command to use above commands ? 

	Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,
Harshal

>
>>	I am running  wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-15 on HP-UX.  I found a problem
>>	with the command   "site newer" and "site minfo".
>>
>>	When you give "site newer"  command it is not able to build data
>>	connection for it.  Connection get refused.
>>
>>	ftp> site newer 19970421112233
>>	425 Can't build data connection: Connection refused.
>
>     This indicates that wu-ftpd is trying to connect to your client to
>transfer data, and your client was not prepared to accept the connection.
>Like the LIST and NLST commands, these should not be entered directly; your
>client needs to have its own support for them.
>
>  --Andy Church                  | If Bell Atlantic really is the heart
>    [email-masked]       | of communication, then it desperately
>    www.dragonfire.net/~achurch/ | needs a quadruple bypass.
>
--
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Harshal Savalia                                 email : [email-masked]
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 14:24:58 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 21 Apr 1998, Harshal Savalia wrote:

> is this really ftp client problem? 

Yes.

> Should I use PORT command to use above commands? 

Won't help unless you've got a program listening on the port you would
give.  If you're writing a client, read the RFCs.  Otherwise look for a
client which supports the commands you want to use.

----

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              email: [email-masked] [205.133.13.8]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    voice: +1 (937) 299-7653