Subject: Virtual host ftp: BSDI

From: Al Woodhull <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 16:26:51 -0400 (EDT)

I'm looking for help or hints about providing anonymous ftp access for
virtual hosts under BSDI.

My first question is whether the BSDI version is seriously out-of-date.
Wu-ftpd as supplied with BSDI 3.0 includes BSDI-specific modifications to
the wu-ftpd source. The server identifies itself as Version wu-2.4(1). The
files modified by BSDI are dated from April 1996 to January 1997, but the
original source files all seem to be from Feb 1995 or earlier. 

The BSDI Installation Guide and Release Notes seem to imply that the ftpd
provided is ready to provide service for virtual hosts, and there are
instructions for providing files like /etc/ftpaccess-ftp.virtualhost.com
for each virtual host. I have done this, and have also configured an
/etc/hosts.allow, as described in the documentation. In inetd.conf I have
set ftpd -a -m and I have DNS setup to recognize the name of the virtual
host and to properly translate the IP back to the name.  Generally, I
thought I had done everything necessary. 

But, when I try to do a remote connection, although the login banner
returns the virtual host name, ftpd is apparently not finding the
ftpaccess-ftp.virtualhost.com file, it is using the default ftpaccess
file instead. Thus attempts to connect to the virtual host connect an
anonymous user to the default ftp directory, rather than the directory
defined by spooldir in the ftpaccess-ftp.virtualhost.com.

Any hints? Can anyone send me some sample config files?

Thanks,

Al Woodhull          [email-masked]
Tel: (802)463-2111   Fax: (802)463-2110
SoVerNet, PO Box 495, 5 Rockingham St,  Bellows Falls, Vermont 05101-0495