Subject: Options -i, -o and -L are not working

From: Harshal Savalia <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 1998 10:26:56 +0500 (IST)

Hello,

	Is it really  true  that  nobody  has  answer to my  (silly  :-)
	question.  I am resending this mail almost for the third time as
	no one  replied me yet.  May be because  the mail is too long to
	read it.  In short my problem  is that  until you  specify  "log
	transfers"  directive in  ftpaccess  file "-i" and "-o"  command
	line  options have no effect.  Similarly  until you specify "log
	commands" directive "-L" command line option have no effect.  If
	you need  more  info.  then go thro'  the mail  attached  below.

	Please help me if you can!

	P.S,: I am using wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-15 on HP-UX.

Thanks,
Harshal

> 
> Hello,
> 
> 	I think there is a problem with the  "-L","-i"  and "-o" options
> 	used in the command line options of ftpd.
> 
> 	I have  started my ftpd daemon with the "-L" option.  I have not
> 	included "log commands" directive in my ftpaccess file.  Now man
> 	page for ftpd says as follow :
> 
> 	If the -L option  is  specified,  commands  sent to the  ftpd(8)
> 	     server  will be  logged to the  syslog.  The -L  option  is
> 	     over-ridden  by the  ftpaccess(5)  file.  If the -L flag is
> 	     used, command  logging will be on by default as soon as the
> 	     ftp  server is  invoked.  This will cause the server to log
> 	     all USER commands,  which if a user  accidentally  enters a
> 	     password for that  command  instead of the  username,  will
> 	     cause passwords to be logged via syslog.
> 
> 	So according to man page it should log all USER commands.  But I
> 	noticed that until you include "log  commands"  directive in the
> 	ftpaccess file it won't log the information.
> 
> 	In the file access.c the function acl_setfunctions() initializes
> 	log_commands  variable  to zero.  I think this is the cause that
> 	suppresses the effect of "-L" command line option.
> 
> 	Similar things  happened when I started ftpd daemon with command
> 	line  options  "-i" and "-o".  It is not logging  file  transfer
> 	information  in xferlog  file until you include "log  transfers"
> 	directive in the ftpaccess file.
> 
> 	It can happen  that I have  interpreted  the thing  incorrectly.
> 	Can any one throw light on this matter.
> 
> 	Thanks in advance.
> 
> Regards,
> Harshal
> 

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Harshal Savalia					email : [email-masked]
Hewlett Packard - ISO				Phone : (91)(80)2251554 x 1424
30C, Cunningham Road				Fax   : (91)(80)2200196
Bangalore 560 052				Telnet: 847-1424
India.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Harshal Savalia <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 17:30:19 +0500 (IST)

Hello Gregory,

> I believe this was changed some time ago to the behavior you've reported,
> go through the change history to be sure.  The man pages are simply wrong. 

Where should I look for the change history ? 

Thanks a lot for your response.

Regards,
Harshal

---

From: Bill Wyatt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Apr 1998 09:34:19 -0500

I haven't examined the source in enough detail to be sure, but as of
(I think) beta-16, the "-a" option to use the ftpaccess file is on
by default. Maybe the -L etc. options are still being overriden. Try
the -A option before the others to disable use of the ftpaccess file.

Bill Wyatt  ([email-masked])
    Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory  (Cambridge, MA, USA)