Subject: syntax error

From: "castagna" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 19:19:14 -0700

Hi

When I tried to compile wu-ftpd on Hp workstation with HP-UX 9
i recieve syntax error, undefined error, type error in array expression,
operand for the indirection operator '*' should have non-void pointer type
and so on. Could someone point me in the right direction

thanks

Mike C.

--

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 10:33:34 -0400 (EDT)

> and so on. Could someone point me in the right direction

We'll need more info on the problem.  What version of wu-ftpd are you
compiling?  What version of the compiler and OS?  What file and line does
the error occur on?

----

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              email: [email-masked] [205.133.13.8]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    voice: +1 (937) 299-7653

---

From: Matthew Emmerton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 11:11:10 -0400 (EDT)

I think this is the problem with HP-UX 9 (and 10) having a brain-dead 
stock cc that doesn't work.  Simply get GNU gcc (2.8.1 is the latest
afaik) from your nearest GNU mirror, build, and then use it to compile
wu-ftpd.  Should work like a charm.

-- 
Matthew Emmerton
University of Waterloo - 2A Computer Science / Software Engineering
Students Advising Coop - Webmaster and PAC Member

---

From: "James B. Byrne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 17:15:01 -0400

On 23 Apr 98, at 11:11, Matthew Emmerton wrote:

> stock cc that doesn't work. 

The bundled CC that ships with HP-UX is a full function K&R compliant C 
compiler.  It isn't an ANSI C compiler, which is what wu-ftpd requires.  The HP 
compiler isn't brain dead, it just doesn't speak ANSI. It is smart enough to build 
sendmail which does not use ANSI constructs but which is, in my opinion, 
every bit as complex as wu-ftpd will ever be.

Regards,
Jim
James B. Byrne               Harte & Lyne Limited
[email-masked]        9 Brockley Drive
vox: +1 905 561 1241         Hamilton, Ontario
fax: +1 905 561 0757         Canada  L8E 3C3