Subject: Problems with 'ls"

From: Jeff Kennedy <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 13:50:37 -0700

This is really starting to get to me.  I have 3 guest ftp accounts under 
WU-ftp 2.4 that are working fine.  I am trying to add another account and 
cannot get "ls" to list anything.  It returns "command successful"  but 
doesn't list anything.  I have gone over this account numerous times, 
comparing every directory and file to one that works.  I have verified 
permissions, ownership, group, major/minor #'s (dev), and /etc/passwd and 
/etc/group entries.  All to no avail.  I even ran truss-f chroot 
/ftp/"guest" /bin/ls, which returned with exit (0).

Anybody have a clue what I'm missing.  I'm running Solaris 2.6 on a Sparc5. 
 I have gone over the fptd man pages with a fine toothed comb and have all 
the files needed by the OS in place (obviously, since 3 others are 
working).

Thanks.

===============================
Jeff Kennedy
Solaris/Microsoft Network Administrator
Information Quest
Carlsbad, CA.  92008
760 431-7474
[email-masked]

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 10:38:23 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 22 Apr 1998, Jeff Kennedy wrote:

> WU-ftp 2.4 that are working fine.  I am trying to add another account
> and cannot get "ls" to list anything.  It returns "command successful" 
> but doesn't list anything.  I have gone over this account numerous
> times, comparing every directory and file to one that works.  I have
> verified permissions, ownership, group, major/minor #'s (dev), and
> /etc/passwd and /etc/group entries.  All to no avail.  I even ran
> truss-f chroot /ftp/"guest" /bin/ls, which returned with exit (0). 
> 
> Anybody have a clue what I'm missing.  I'm running Solaris 2.6 on a
> Sparc5.  I have gone over the fptd man pages with a fine toothed comb
> and have all the files needed by the OS in place (obviously, since 3
> others are working).

Go through the FAQ as well, especially the sections for your platform
which has specific peculiarities.  If you're running 2.4, you should
upgrade to 2.4.2 beta-16 which fixes a boatload of problems, including a
number of serious security issues.

The location of the latest version of wu-ftpd can be found in the 
directory
 
      ftp://ftp.academ.com/pub/wu-ftpd/private/
 
You can't see the directory contents, so read the message informing you
of the actual filename to retrieve. It's there.
 
wu-ftpd Resource Center:  http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/
wu-ftpd FAQ:              http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html
wu-ftpd list archive:     http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/mail-archive/

----

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              email: [email-masked] [205.133.13.8]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    voice: +1 (937) 299-7653