Subject: logging for virtual ftp domains

From: Al Woodhull <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 16:41:47 -0400 (EDT)

We are working on setting up virtual ftp domains for customers who request
them: anyone who has a www.virtualdomain.com will also be able to have an
ftp.virtualdomain.com directory. 

It's not hard to do with wu-ftpd as supplied with BSDI, but one
annoying thing I haven't been able to figure out how yet is if it is
possible to get the ftp daemon to write into a different log file for
each virtual domain. Apache allows this with virtual www domains. So far 
I have not been able to figure out how to do this with ftp. 

All the logging for all ftp access comes into /var/logs/ftp.log. You can't
even see which virtual ftp domain was being contacted in that file, you
have to look in /var/log/daemon.log for that info, and from the pid there
you can then understnad the info in the ftp.log. This is confusing enough
for a sysadmin while we are still testing the service with a few virtual
domains; it isn't going to be very useful for the customer who would just
like to see a log of access to his or her own virtual ftp site. 

Al Woodhull          [email-masked]
Tel: (802)463-2111   Fax: (802)463-2110
SoVerNet, PO Box 495, 5 Rockingham St,  Bellows Falls, Vermont 05101-0495

---

From: [email-masked] (Andy Church)
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 23:41:15 EDT

>I have not been able to figure out how to do this with ftp. 

     Assuming you're talking about transfer logs, that's directly supported
by the virtual directive as implemented in wu-ftpd 2.4.2b16:

virtual 111.222.333.444 logfile /var/log/ftpd/virtualdomain.com

for example.  See the VIRTUAL.FTP.SUPPORT file for more information.

  --Andy Church                  | If Bell Atlantic really is the heart
    [email-masked]       | of communication, then it desperately
    www.dragonfire.net/~achurch/ | needs a quadruple bypass.