Subject: ls creates partial output

From: [email-masked] (Jane Milne)
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 13:16:07 -0400

Hi,

I have installed wu-2.4(2) on my Solaris 2.5.1 system.  All is working
well except the 'ls' command by itself creates only partial output ie.:

230 Guest login ok, access restrictions apply.
ftp> ls
200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for file list.
tgoing
 
n
v
c
r
b
coming
tgoing
226 Transfer complete.
41 bytes received in 0.0047 seconds (8.4 Kbytes/s)

When it should have said (although I don't know why it mentions 
'outgoing twice!):

ftp> ls
200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for file list.

outgoing
 
bin
dev
etc
usr
pub
incoming
outgoing
226 Transfer complete.

I've tried various combinations of directory and ls permissions to no
avail. The well-known 'chroot ~ftp /bin/ls' command works properly 
and shows no symptoms.  Any ideas??

thanks for any help,

Jane

Jane Milne
Supervisor, Computer Systems and Information Services
Canadian Microelectronics Corporation
Queen's University                    Phone:  (613) 530-4658
210A Carruthers Hall                  Fax:    (613) 548-8104
Kingston, Ontario  Canada K7L 3N6     E-mail:  [email-masked]

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 13:35:52 -0400 (EDT)

> well except the 'ls' command by itself creates only partial output ie.:

you're running old, unsafe software and should consider updating to the
current version.

in answer to your question, this is a FAQ

The location of the latest version of wu-ftpd can be found in the 
directory
 
      ftp://ftp.academ.com/pub/wu-ftpd/private/
 
You can't see the directory contents, so read the message informing you
of the actual filename to retrieve. It's there.
 
wu-ftpd Resource Center:  http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/
wu-ftpd FAQ:              http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html
wu-ftpd list archive:     http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/mail-archive/

----

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              email: [email-masked] [205.133.13.8]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    voice: +1 (937) 299-7653

---

From: Koos van den Hout _U nix and we all_ <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 08:57:15 +0200 (MET DST)

> well except the 'ls' command by itself creates only partial output ie.:

You used /usr/ucb/cc instead of the real /opt/SUNWspro/bin/cc.
/usr/ucb/cc mixes up libraries and header files of the standard and the
ucb compatibility package.

                                            Koos

-- 
  Koos van den Hout,     Internetter, Unix freak, ISFJ and BBS SysOp at large
  [email-masked] (Work)                                Fax: +31-30-2586290
  [email-masked] (Home)                      Workphone: +31-30-2586287
  http://web.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/   Looking for a license plate with "RFC 822"

---

From: Martin Vysohlid <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 13:16:26 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi!

I have anonymous ftp server whith upload. How could I find whether the
file, that somebody uploaded to my server was transferred correctly?

I think, that the bytes, that were transferred over ftp should be correct
(am I right?), but the problem is whether _entire_ file was transferred. 
How can I find whether the entire file was transferred? (I don't know what
lenght it should have, of course.)

I tried to do a few things:

1) I interupted the transfer on the client side, but couldn't find any
error messages neither in xferlog nor in syslog on the server computer. 
I wasn't able to find, that the transfer was aborted.

2) I tried to physicaly disconnect the client computer from the net (by
pulling out the ethernet cable) during file transfer (I wanted to
simmulate possible problem) and find that ftpd is running for 3 hours by
now without any error message (netstat says, that the connection is
established). I thought it should timeout after 900 sec.

I use wu-ftpd 2.4.2b14 on linux 2.0.33.

I need to know, whether the transfer was OK, because I will need to have
anonymous ftp server, where many people will have to upload their files.
They will not be able to delete of read the files, of course, so they
wouldn't have possibility to repear files, that were incorectly
transferred. What I want to do is to automaticly delete files, that were
transferred incorectly, so that they could try upload again.
If you have differnt idea, how to solve this problem, please, let me know.

Thanks in advance for the answers and your ideas,
Martin