Subject: Wu-ftpd stops working for a specific machine

From: Nils <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 12:59:18 GMT

We have been using wu-ftpd version wu-2.4(8) for some time without any
problems. Now it appears that connections from a a specific machine
(same domain, but not on the local network) are not working correctly
(It was working until a few days ago).

What happens is that a message saying a connection has been made, after
which the connection seems to hang without the welcome message being
displayed. On occasions after a long delay (over 10 to 15 minutes),
the message may be displayed and a normal FTP session is established.

We tried subsituting a different ftpd server and the connection worked
normally. Other machines can connect without any problems using wu-ftpd.
No system files for wu-ftpd have been changed. We even tried running
wu-ftpd on a different port with the same result - other machines could
connect normally, but the one we are having a problem with does not
connect. There are no clues in the log files as to what is going wrong.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

I know the obvious answer is to install a more recent version, but I
would like to find out what is causing this problem!

Nils

[email-masked]

---

From: "Stig Isaksson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 14:19:19 GMT+200

Nils,

This looks like a problem we had here too some time ago (this might 
be different of course but the symptom looks similar).

Here it was a misconfigured computer in the same domain that caused 
the trouble. The unhappy configurer had given this machine the same 
ip-nr as the default name-server for the domain, which caused the 
call-back lookup to try to figure out what ip-nr the calling machines 
had by chancing a lookup in the misconfigured machine instead of in 
the proper name-server. The result was a many minutes long hang, 
sometimes ending in a lookup at some secondary name-server.

So, perhaps it could be worth while to check if someone in your 
neighbourhood has a newly configured machine with a spurious ip-nr.

Hopefully ...

Stig

> would like to find out what is causing this problem!
------------------------------------------------------------
Stig Isaksson
Dialekt- och ortnamnsarkivet
Helgonabacken 14
S-223 62 LUND
S W E D E N
tel.: +46 46 222 74 68   fax: +46 46 15 23 81
e-mail: [email-masked]
http://www.dal.lu.se/

<Forstaor MIME    Understands MIME>
------------------------------------------------------------