Subject: Re: wu.ftpd + multiple logins

From: [email-masked] (Andy Church)
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 00:29:38 EDT

>I've sent this a few times (although recently, my mails don't seem to be
>echoed on the list?)...  Basically, I've got an FTP server on which people
>open dozens of connections at once.  It's causing unbeleivable congestion
>problems...
>
>Does anybody know of any way to limit the amount of connections per host?
>Or a way to deny IE?0User@ and mozilla@ as possible e-mail addresses?

     For the former, there's no way at the moment, though I'll see if I can
work it in.  For the latter, try my "deny-email" patch:

ftp://achurch.dragonfire.net/wu-ftpd/deny-email.patch

This introduces a new ftpaccess directive, "deny-email", which can be used
(in conjunction with "passwd-check ... enforce") to prevent users from
connecting to the server using E-mail addresses you list in the ftpaccess
file.  See the README.patches file in that directory for a fuller
description.

     I might also suggest (to everyone, or no one in particular) looking at
the other patches in that directory:

ftp://achurch.dragonfire.net/wu-ftpd/

which include the following:

     - a variant of the originally posted fix for the seg-fault and
       "sendmail" process name problems

     - a significant enhancement to the "virtual" directive (allowing the
       use of any other ftpaccess directive, such as "upload"), plus the
       addition of an "include" directive to let you split up the ftpaccess
       file (e.g. a separate file for each virtual server)

     - a patch which I've either mentioned or posted before that allows the
       use of numeric UIDs/GIDs in upload lines, thus speeding up wu-ftpd's
       initialization

     - addition of a #define in config.h which controls strict checking of
       the parameters to the PORT command

     - a slight modification to the SITE CHMOD command, allowing the use of
       the set-uid, set-gid, and sticky bits

     All these patches will apply correctly against clean beta-16 sources
(though some will have offsets--don't worry about them).

  --Andy Church                  | If Bell Atlantic really is the heart
    [email-masked]       | of communication, then it desperately
    www.dragonfire.net/~achurch/ | needs a quadruple bypass.

---

From: "James B. Byrne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 20:13:53 -5

Is anybody else out there using Kent Landfield's newvirt-040 release 
based on beta 15?  I have got it working (mostly) on an HP-UX 11.00 
installation but I have one situation which seems to be defeating me. 

I can get all the virtual servers to respond, but the "real" domain 
will not allow ANY users, real or anonymous to login.  I suppose that 
I am overlooking something obvious but I cannot see it.

If anyone can help please drop me a line.

Regards,
Jim

PS.  Is this form of virtual support likely to make its way into the 
base distribution?
---
James B. Byrne			Harte & Lyne Limited
vox +1 905 561 1241		9 Brockley Drive
fax +1 905 561 0757		Hamilton, Ontario
[email-masked]		Canada	L8E 3C3