Subject: Solaris 2.6 Static LS Problem

From: Duncan Sterling <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 15:13:03 -0400 (EDT)

Greetings.

First off, yes, I've read the FAQ, the Solaris How-to, and sifted through
the mailing list archives, and have successfully statically linked 'ls'.

I've just installed Beta 16 on a Sun Ultra 2 running Solaris 2.6.

Having successfully gone through the process of setting up restricted
guest FTP on a Sun server running Solaris 2.5.1, I had thought doing the
same under 2.6 would be easy, since they are (so far) binary compatible,
etc. Permissions, directory structures, etc are all correct and in place.

Having gone through the same setup steps that have worked under 2.5.1 on
multiple occasions, I find that everything works *except* LS, when I FTP
in as a restricted FTP guest user.

LS doesn't give me an error message, but it won't list files. The output
is:

ftp> ls
200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for /bin/ls.
226 Transfer complete.
ftp> 

Yes, LS is available within the /./bin directory structure of the
restricted FTP guest account, and yes, so are the appropriate
/./etc/passwd and /./etc/group files

Suggestions, anyone?

TIA,

--Duncan

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 15:27:00 -0400 (EDT)

> 150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for /bin/ls.

That's what I get when the directory I'm trying to list isn't -readable-
by the anonymous ftp user.

----

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              [email-masked]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    1-800-809-2195

---

From: Duncan Sterling <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 15:36:34 -0400 (EDT)

> by the anonymous ftp user.

I wish it were that simple to fix. Unfortunately, the restricted FTP
guestuser account has full read and write permissions for the directory in
question...

--Duncan