Subject: usr and dev

From: Jeff Kennedy <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 1998 07:46:54 -0700

Hello all,

I am new to wu-ftp and have a question in regards to real and guest 
accounts.  Is it necessary to have /usr and /dev in the directory 
structure?  I know I need /bin and I think I need /etc (although I am not 
doing anonymous ftp so I'm not sure about that either).  All this site is 
going to be is a drop-off for real and guest users, no anonymous, nothing 
fancy, just chrooted to an ftp directory and let them upload.  If I don't 
need all that stuff in there then why put it there?

Thanks.

===============================
Jeff Kennedy
Solaris/Microsoft Network Administrator
Information Quest
Carlsbad, CA.  92008
760 431-7474
[email-masked]

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 1998 11:10:24 -0400 (EDT)

> need all that stuff in there then why put it there?

Depens on the machine you're running on.  Check the FAQ.

The location of the latest version of wu-ftpd can be found in the 
directory
 
      ftp://ftp.academ.com/pub/wu-ftpd/private/
 
You can't see the directory contents, so read the message informing you
of the actual filename to retrieve. It's there.
 
wu-ftpd Resource Center:  http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/
wu-ftpd FAQ:              http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html
wu-ftpd list archive:     http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/mail-archive/

----

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              email: [email-masked] [205.133.13.8]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    voice: +1 (937) 299-7653

---

From: Koos van den Hout _U nix and we all_ <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 1998 12:38:50 +0200 (MET DST)

> need all that stuff in there then why put it there?

Some external programs needed by the ftpd need it. Opening sockets needs
certain /dev entries, listing files needs /etc and /lib for certain
libraries (or /usr/lib depending on OS).

You can find out the minimum needed for your OS by trail and error.

But, a lot of this has been done already and is available in :

http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html

                                             Koos

-- 
  Koos van den Hout,     Internetter, Unix freak, ISFJ and BBS SysOp at large
  [email-masked] (Work)                                Fax: +31-30-2586290
  [email-masked] (Home)                      Workphone: +31-30-2586287
  http://web.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/   Looking for a license plate with "RFC 822"