Subject: Going down in flames

From: "Jonathon Caywood" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 19:13:05 -0400

Greetings,

	I recently did an OS upgrade on my Linux system(from 2.0.0 to 2.0.30)
(Upgrade included the kernel, and supporting programs.files) Well, ever
since then, my server has only been allowing anonymous access to the
server, but a 'known' user with an account can't log on.  It's as if it
can't find the /etc/passwd file.   Logins work with all the other programs
on the system, except WUFTPD. If you try to log in with a user account, is
just states 'Login failed' and there's no useful information available in
the logfiles.

	Has anyone experienced this problem?  I'm at a lack of figuring this out,
I've re-installed WUFTPD and still have the same problem.  I can't figure
it out, and I have a couple of people who would love to be able to FTP into
work.  If you could help me figure out the source of this trouble, it would
be greatly appriciated.

Jonathon Caywood
[email-masked](24Hrs)

---

From: Jeffrey Lynn Jeffries <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 18:32:31 -0500 (CDT)

> just states 'Login failed' and there's no useful information available in

Make sure that the shells file (for FreeBSD it's in /etc) actually has the
correct path for shells; you may also need to set symlinks for these
shells as well. 

This caused me much heartache at one point as well  :)

==========================================================================
   Jeffrey Lynn Jeffries, [email-masked]
   Computer Science Unix Support, GAB 550I
   (940) 565-2642

   http://www.cs.unt.edu/~jeffries

   Proud user of FreeBSD: Ask me how to unleash the daemon inside your PC