Subject: FTP ls command

From: Lim Kian Ann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 15:30:21 +0800

I have just installed wu-ftp 2.4(2) on a Solaris 2.3
It works fine but with one strange behaviour

in ftp, when I do an ls
the first 2 characters are not shown

eg

ftp> ls
nitor			should be monitor
ftp			should be wuftp

Help appreciated!!

Lim Kian Ann ([email-masked])

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 06:30:08 -0500 (EST)

> It works fine but with one strange behaviour

First off, get current.  2.4 has severe security problems.  Then, read the
FAQs for Solaris-specific help.

The location of the latest version of wu-ftpd can be found in the 
directory
 
      ftp://ftp.academ.com/pub/wu-ftpd/private/
 
You can't see the directory contents, so read the message informing you
of the actual filename to retrieve. It's there.
 
wu-ftpd Resource Center:  http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/
wu-ftpd FAQ:              http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html
wu-ftpd list archive:     http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/mail-archive/

----

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              email: [email-masked] [205.133.13.8]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    voice: +1 (937) 299-7653

---

From: Bob Luckin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 98 11:31:15 CST

> the first 2 characters are not shown

The last time I came across this problem, it turned out that one of the
dynamic libraries needed by ls was missing from the usr/lib directory
under the anonymous FTP root.

Unfortunately I can't remember which one it was.  Check the original
Solaris ftpd man page; it should list all the libraries which you need to
copy over.  If you are sure you have them all and you still see problems,
try running ldd, or truss after chrooting to ~ftp to see what is missing.

I hope this helps...

Cheers, Bob
-- 
      "Emit no data, coder ?  Adapt !  FTP Ada, redo C a tad - on time !"
Bob Luckin      [email-masked]      [http://www.dhc.net/~luckin/palindromes.html]