Subject: root access?

From: [email-masked] (Rob Lingelbach)
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 11:57:23 -0800

I have two machines, both running Solaris 2.6, each has the same
version of wu-ftpd (2.4.2-beta15).  Both have identical ftpaccess
files...  but on one machine, I can login to ftpd as root, on the
other I can't.  I am running ftpd via tcpd.   any ideas? thanks.

--Rob

-- 
Rob Lingelbach          |  2660 Hollyridge Dr., Los Angeles, CA 90068
[email-masked]         |"I care not much for a man's religion whose dog or 
[email-masked]            |  cat is not the better for it."  --Abraham Lincoln
[email-masked]                    KB6CUN   http://www.alegria.com

---

From: Matthew Emmerton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 15:43:14 -0500 (EST)

Check your ftpusers files on both machines.

-- 
Matthew Emmerton
University of Waterloo - 2A Computer Science / Software Engineering
Students Advising Coop - Webmaster and PAC Member

---

From: [email-masked] (Josef Siemes)
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 21:44:42 +0100 (NFT)

> other I can't.  I am running ftpd via tcpd.   any ideas? thanks.

My version (also beta-15) logs this:

ftpd[9903]: command: USER root
ftpd[9903]: <--- 530 
ftpd[9903]: User root access denied
ftpd[9903]: FTP LOGIN REFUSED (bad shell or username in /etc/ftpusers) 
            FROM [..]

So maybe it's /etc/shells or /etc/ftpusers.

Regards,

Josef