Subject: Solaris 2.6, wu-ftpd and 421 Servica ... error

From: Gary Goldberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 1998 22:29:37 -0500 (EST)

Once again I turn to my good friends the S-x86 and wu-ftpd lists.

PROBLEM: 421 Service not available error (but ftpd patched!)

Upgrading from Solaris 2.51 to Solaris 2.6 on the x86 platform. I was using
wu-ftpd beta-12 at first but have upgraded that to beta-16 as part of the 
attempt to fix this problem. I host about 30 virtual ftp sites and while 
some of them work fine, others return these errors when trying to connect:

(Note attempt to connect to real user first, then anonymous)

athena% ftp maclink.com
Connected to maclink.com.
220 maclink.com FTP server (Version wu-2.4.2-academ[BETA-16](2) Sun Mar 8 17:31:
42 EST 1998) ready.
Name (maclink.com:og):
421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection
Login failed.
ftp> user ftp
Not connected.
ftp> open ftp.maclink.com
Connected to maclink.com.
220 maclink.com FTP server (Version wu-2.4.2-academ[BETA-16](2) Sun Mar 8 17:31:
42 EST 1998) ready.
Name (ftp.maclink.com:og): ftp
331 Guest login ok, send your complete e-mail address as password.
Password:
530 Can't set guest privileges.
Login failed.
ftp>

while others on the same server work fine. I've patched beta-16 with the
proper patches from the Dec98 Landfield wu-ftpd archive, and I've tried
setting inetd.conf/ftpd with one option, several and no options, with no
effect. I get this in the syslog:

Mar  8 22:16:51 piano ftpd[14618]: VirtualFTP Connect to: 208.202.26.85
Mar  8 22:17:21 piano ftpd[14662]: VirtualFTP Connect to: 208.202.26.127
Mar  8 22:17:23 piano ftpd[14662]: exiting on signal 11
Mar  8 22:17:38 piano ftpd[14686]: VirtualFTP Connect to: 208.202.26.127
Mar  8 22:19:23 piano ftpd[14878]: VirtualFTP Connect to: 208.202.26.106
Mar  8 22:19:27 piano ftpd[14878]: exiting on signal 11

Sone work, others don't. I've double-checked all aspects of my installation,
made sure all device files installed are proper and up-to-date. No ftpshut
file, permissions set correctly, ftp account defined as usual. I'm using
tcpwrappers, but there are no conflicting hosts.[allow|deny] entries. Here
is my inetd.conf entry:

ftp stream tcp nowait root /opt/security/bin/tcpd /opt/wuftpd/bin/in.ftpd -aio

I've turned off interface groups in S72inetsvc with

# Turn off interface groups "feature" of ifconfig
/usr/sbin/ndd -set /dev/ip ip_enable_group_ifs 0

and I know about the last ifconfig'ed interface being the one to use. I've
also installed the most recent Recommended patch set from Sun and scoured
DejaNews and the Landfield wu-ftpd archive for advice, as well as all the
FAQs I could lay my hands on.

This problem is definitely a business buster, so I'd appreciate any clues at
all. Thanks in advance. -Gary

- Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.
Gary Goldberg KA3ZYW email: [email-masked]  (301) 249-6501
Digital Marketing, Inc., Bowie, MD. http://www.digimark.net/

---

From: "Stig Isaksson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 1998 08:05:56 GMT+200

Good morning Gary,

A shot in the (almost, since you have applied the patches) dark:

Try with space separated parameters in inetd.conf, like:

ftp stream tcp nowait root /opt/security/bin/tcpd 
/opt/wuftpd/bin/in.ftpd -a -i -o

Hopefully ...

Stig

------------------------------------------------------------
Stig Isaksson
Dialekt- och ortnamnsarkivet
Helgonabacken 14
S-223 62 LUND
S W E D E N
tel.: +46 46 222 74 68   fax: +46 46 15 23 81
e-mail: [email-masked]
http://www.dal.lu.se/

<Forstaor MIME    Understands MIME>
------------------------------------------------------------