Subject: on-the-fly tar+compress

From: Harshal Savalia <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 19:38:06 +0500 (IST)

Hello champions,

	I am  running  wu-ftpd  on HP-UX o.s.  I went thro' the  mailing
	list  archive  and FAQ but I couldn't  find any  information  on
	which files are required in guest/anonymous users accounts to be
	able  to do  on-the-fly  compress/tar  in  HP-UX.  Does  anybody
	already using this feature on HP-UX.  Can you help me out ?

	Also follwing two lines from ftpconversions are not working even
	for real users.

 :   : :.tar.Z:/bin/tar -c -Z -f - %s:T_REG|T_DIR:O_COMPRESS|O_TAR:TAR+COMPRESS
 :   : :.tar.gz:/bin/tar -c -z -f - %s:T_REG|T_DIR:O_COMPRESS|O_TAR:TAR+GZIP

	What I mean is I am not able to do on-the-fly  tar+compress  and
	tar+zip  for real  user  also.  In  HP-UX  tar  doesn't  support
	options  "-z" and "-Z".  Can anybody tell me what should be used
	in place ot this ?

	Can I replace  "/bin/tar -c -Z -f - %s" with something like this
	"/bin/tar -cf - %s | compress -c".  This is just the guess.

	Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
Harshal

---

From: [email-masked] (Andy Church)
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 10:21:01 EST

>	"/bin/tar -cf - %s | compress -c".  This is just the guess.

     No, that won't work, because wu-ftpd uses its own implementation of
popen(), which avoids calling a shell (and therefore prevents pipes from
working--intentionally).  What you should do is just download GNU tar from
prep.ai.mit.edu:/pub/gnu or wherever, compile it, install it as
/usr/local/bin/gtar (or whatever), and change the above ftpconversions
lines to use GNU tar instead of your system's tar.

  --Andy Church                  | If Bell Atlantic really is the heart
    [email-masked]       | of communication, then it desperately
    www.dragonfire.net/~achurch/ | needs a quadruple bypass.