Subject: Re: problem with guest users (Rrrr)

From: "Stig Isaksson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 1998 19:42:25 GMT+200

Hi out there,

On Fri, 20 Mar 1998 09:42:24 GMT+200 I wrote:
> Don't put too much confidence in this reply (because I'm a novice
> still), but (most of) this behaviour is what usually occurs when the
> access permissions to ~/<someguest>/etc/dev/tcp are not at least 666.

but nobody seemed to take any notice. So:

>Verbose mode on

What I mean is:

1. If you use passive ftp or not depends on how you configure your
client (and as far as I know this mode is the only way to connect to
ftp servers from Netscape for instance - at least it is default
there). So one remedy could be to untick passive mode in your client.

2. *If* your client uses passive mode the guest account on the server
must have access perms >=666 for the file ~/etc/dev/tcp - if not you
get the described behaviour (on Solaris systems at least). So chmod
666 tcp issued in the ~/etc/dev directory should help. I had exactly
the described experience until I changed the perms like that.

3. All this seems to pertain only to Solaris, according to Koos van
den Hout's FAQ no. 13, so if yours is some other system I don't know
...

4. If in any way I misunderstood the conditions and am talking through
my hat here, you must try to excuse me - it's easy to use the recycle
bin form this msg - but in any case I'm extremely curious to know if
my solution was correct or not.

Best Regards,
Stig
------------------------------------------------------------
Stig Isaksson
Dialekt- och ortnamnsarkivet
Helgonabacken 14
S-223 62 LUND
S W E D E N
tel.: +46 46 222 74 68   fax: +46 46 15 23 81
e-mail: [email-masked]
http://www.dal.lu.se/

<Forstaor MIME    Understands MIME>
------------------------------------------------------------