Subject: Problem with command line options

From: Harshal Savalia <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 19:11:02 +0500 (IST)

Hello,

	I am  resending  this mail as no one replied me.  May be because
	the mail is too logn to read it.  In short  my  problem  is that
	until you specify "log  transfers"  directive in ftpaccess  file
	"-i" and "-o"  command line  options  have no effect.  Similarly
	until you specify "log  commands"  directive  "-L" command  line
	option  have no  effect.  If you need more  info.  then go thro'
	the mail attached below.  Please help me if you can!

Thanks,
Harshal

> 
> Hello,
> 
> 	I think there is a problem with the  "-L","-i"  and "-o" options
> 	used in the command line options of ftpd.
> 
> 	I have  started my ftpd daemon with the "-L" option.  I have not
> 	included "log commands" directive in my ftpaccess file.  Now man
> 	page for ftpd says as follow :
> 
> 	If the -L option  is  specified,  commands  sent to the  ftpd(8)
> 	     server  will be  logged to the  syslog.  The -L  option  is
> 	     over-ridden  by the  ftpaccess(5)  file.  If the -L flag is
> 	     used, command  logging will be on by default as soon as the
> 	     ftp  server is  invoked.  This will cause the server to log
> 	     all USER commands,  which if a user  accidentally  enters a
> 	     password for that  command  instead of the  username,  will
> 	     cause passwords to be logged via syslog.
> 
> 	So according to man page it should log all USER commands.  But I
> 	noticed that until you include "log  commands"  directive in the
> 	ftpaccess file it won't log the information.
> 
> 	In the file access.c the function acl_setfunctions() initializes
> 	log_commands  variable  to zero.  I think this is the cause that
> 	suppresses the effect of "-L" command line option.
> 
> 	Similar things  happened when I started ftpd daemon with command
> 	line  options  "-i" and "-o".  It is not logging  file  transfer
> 	information  in xferlog  file until you include "log  transfers"
> 	directive in the ftpaccess file.
> 
> 	It can happen  that I have  interpreted  the thing  incorrectly.
> 	Can any one throw light on this matter.
> 
> 	Thanks in advance.
> 
> Regards,
> Harshal
> 
-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Harshal Savalia					email : [email-masked]
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------