Subject: regarding xferstats "no data to process"

From: Gary Goldberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 1998 01:28:26 -0500 (EST)

For non-zero byte length ftp logs files, why would I get "There was no data
to process? It wasn't clear to me from the xferstats source. Thanks, -Gary

- Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.
Gary Goldberg KA3ZYW email: [email-masked]  (301) 249-6501
Digital Marketing, Inc., Bowie, MD. http://www.digimark.net/

---

From: Phil Schwan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 1998 01:44:26 -0500 (EST)

> to process? It wasn't clear to me from the xferstats source. Thanks, -Gary

Well, first of all, which xferstats are you using?  That worthless little
perl script that comes with wu-ftpd (aiee, don't hit me) or the one I
wrote in C to replace it that isn't "quite" ready to be included in the
full distribution?

I can answer for both, but I'm not -positive- about my answer regarding
the perl script.

What's most likely occuring is that you're excluding all of your data,
whether you know it or not.  If you're using my replacement, there are
some default settings in config.h.  If you have "display anonymous users"
and "display real users" both turned off, you have no data left to
process.  You can override these defaults on the command line, so try
specifying it and see if you get some data.

I recall using the perl script, and I recall having to specifically tell
it what data I wanted sometimes.  If I recall correctly there's a block at
the top of the code that gives the command line options.  Try manually
specifying the location of the xferlog, as well as the data you want to
display.

For a quite update while I have your attention, xferstats is currently in
the middle of a major rewrite.  It should decrease memory usage by several
orders of magnitude (for those with -massive- logfiles) while only slowing
it down ever so slightly.  I think this is a worthy trade-off.

After I finish the rewrite I plan on opening it up to anyone who cares to
contribute.  I'd really like to hear what you want, and patches are always
appreciated :)  Wait for the 1.20, it'll be worth it.  In the meantime,
you can still probably get by with 1.15 or 1.16, just be a little careful
if you have a gigantic (20+ megs) logfile, it will eat up a ton (300+
megs) of ram while it processes.

All previous and current versions are available at
ftp://sound.off.net:211/pub/xferstats (that's sound.off.net port 211, for
the url impaired :)

Phil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
'The ultimate seal on any software product is not any sort of kite mark or
standards conformance certificate, it's that label that says, "Destruction
tested by Alan Cox.... Survived."' -- Clive Dolphin (3Com PDD)