Subject: Problem with "-L" command line option

From: Harshal Savalia <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 20:22:18 +0500 (IST)

Hello,

	I am resending this message as nobody has replied to it.  Again,
	please  can  anybody  go  thro'  this  and can help  me.  Also I
	noticed same thing with "log  transfers"  directive in ftpaccess
	file.  Until you specify this directive in ftpaccess  file there
	is no effect of command line options "-i" and "-o".

	Thanks in advance.

With Regards,
Harshal

> 
> Hello,
> 
> 	I think  there is a  problem  with the "-L"  option  used in the
> 	command line options of ftpd.
> 
> 	I have  started my ftpd daemon with the "-L" option.  I have not
> 	included "log commands" directive in my ftpaccess file.  Now man
> 	page for ftpd says as follow :
> 
> 	If the -L option  is  specified,  commands  sent to the  ftpd(8)
> 	     server  will be  logged to the  syslog.  The -L  option  is
> 	     over-ridden  by the  ftpaccess(5)  file.  If the -L flag is
> 	     used, command  logging will be on by default as soon as the
> 	     ftp  server is  invoked.  This will cause the server to log
> 	     all USER commands,  which if a user  accidentally  enters a
> 	     password for that  command  instead of the  username,  will
> 	     cause passwords to be logged via syslog.
> 
> 	So according to man page it should log all USER commands.  But I
> 	noticed that until you include "log  commands"  directive in the
> 	ftpaccess file it won't log the information.
> 
> 	In the file access.c the function acl_setfunctions() initializes
> 	log_commands  variable  to zero.  I think this is the cause that
> 	suppresses the effect of "-L" command line option.
> 
> 	It can happen  that I have  interpreted  the thing  incorrectly.
> 	Can any one throw light on this matter.
> 
> 	Thanks in advance.
> 
> Regards,
> Harshal
>