Subject: Re: S-x86; Solaris 2.6, wu-ftpd and 421 Servica ... error

From: Gary Goldberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 1998 06:24:32 -0500 (EST)

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

(Most of problem was byte-size of /etc/shells file being an even multiple
of 8 bytes. Is this a known problem on the list?)

To: Sven
That was most of the problem. My original /etc/shells file had an extra
unneeded entry so I removed it when I was cleaning up, leaving the file
at 136 bytes. I added it back, and 90% of the problem fixed itself.

I'm still getting the "Can't set guest privileges" error though. Must be
two problems I've had. Any thoughts?

Name (ftp.maclink.com:og): ftp
331 Guest login ok, send your complete e-mail address as password.
Password:
530 Can't set guest privileges.
Login failed.
ftp>

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

-Gary

- Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.
Gary Goldberg KA3ZYW email: [email-masked]  (301) 249-6501
Digital Marketing, Inc., Bowie, MD. http://www.digimark.net/

On Mon, 9 Mar 1998, Sopeters wrote:

> I've had the same before: Check if your /etc/shells doesn't have multiple than
> 8 Byte size (8,16,24,32,40,48,56,64,....Byte). If so, change it (add a space),
> so it has other size. It worked on my machine.....
> 
> Let me know if this causes the error :))
> 
> -- Sven
>

---

From: Bret McDanel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 1998 09:52:15 -0500

Just a guess, but does the guest user have read and execute perms to the
home dir?  and/or does the homedir exist?  I have only seen that error
before when that was the case..

---Reply on mail from Gary Goldberg about S-x86; Solaris 2.6, wu-ftpd and 421 Servica ... error
> 530 Can't set guest privileges.

---End reply
-- 
Bret McDanel                                    http://www.rehost.com
Realistic Technologies, Inc.                             973-514-1144

     These opinions are mine, and may not be the same as my employer

---

From: Gary Goldberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 1998 12:47:10 -0500 (EST)

That was it! -- but not the files, I had some of the virtuals misdefined in
the ftpaccess file. Geez what a tyro mistake. Thanks very much. -Gary