Subject: guest account problems

From: Bob Luckin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 98 15:20:02 CST

Ming said :-
>I set up guest only account based on guetshowto and works fine in term of
>uploading and downloading, but the user's personal web page can not be
>seen because of "webuser:x:10000:10000:ftp web user
>only:/export/home/web/./webuser/:/etc/ftponly". If I remove the dot
>between web and webuser "webuser:x:10000:10000:ftp web user
>only:/export/home/web/webuser:/etc/ftponly" and then everything would be
>fine. BTW, the ftp directory is /export/home/web and all of ftponly users
>are under /export/home/web.

I don't use guest accounts, so I can't give a lot of help - except that
I'm sure this was discussed some time ago on the list.

I believe the issue was that some web servers get confused by the "."
in the directory field of the password file.  I don't recall whether a
workaround was found, or whether the person with the problem switched to
a different web server, or what.  The best I can suggest is that you
search the mailing list archives at http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/ and
see if you can find the thread...

But perhaps someone else with a better memory than mine can throw some
light on the matter ?

Cheers, Bob
-- 
Bob Luckin      [email-masked]      "Coder, adapt; FTP Ada, redo C"
                                 [http://www.dhc.net/~luckin/palindromes.html]

---

From: Ming Lu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1998 17:54:51 -0500 (EST)

Thanks Bob. The web server is netscape 2.1. I am trying to go through
archieves... I am a kind of new to this group.

Bets Regards

_ming

On Wed, 25 Mar 1998, Bob Luckin wrote:

->Ming said :-
->>I set up guest only account based on guetshowto and works fine in term of
->>uploading and downloading, but the user's personal web page can not be
->>seen because of "webuser:x:10000:10000:ftp web user
->>only:/export/home/web/./webuser/:/etc/ftponly". If I remove the dot
->>between web and webuser "webuser:x:10000:10000:ftp web user
->>only:/export/home/web/webuser:/etc/ftponly" and then everything would be
->>fine. BTW, the ftp directory is /export/home/web and all of ftponly users
->>are under /export/home/web.
->
->I don't use guest accounts, so I can't give a lot of help - except that
->I'm sure this was discussed some time ago on the list.
->
->I believe the issue was that some web servers get confused by the "."
->in the directory field of the password file.  I don't recall whether a
->workaround was found, or whether the person with the problem switched to
->a different web server, or what.  The best I can suggest is that you
->search the mailing list archives at http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/ and
->see if you can find the thread...
->
->But perhaps someone else with a better memory than mine can throw some
->light on the matter ?
->
->Cheers, Bob
->-- 
->Bob Luckin      [email-masked]      "Coder, adapt; FTP Ada, redo C"
->                                 [http://www.dhc.net/~luckin/palindromes.html]
->

============================================================================
Ming Lu                                         Email: [email-masked]
Network Tech Consulting Engineer                Phone: 703-689-5290 (w)
Product Engineering                                    703-855-4194 (m)
Global One Telecommunications, LLT.                    703-689-6575 (f)
============================================================================  
"Do not pay attention to every word people say, or you may hear your
 servant cursing you ---- for you know in your heart that many times you
 yourself have cursed others."