Subject: Undeletable - how?

From: "Stig Isaksson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 13:40:48 GMT+200

Hi to all,

I'm afraid this has been up before, but It's faster to post :)
And I suppose this is a fast and (to most list members) a very simple 
question.

In one of our guest accounts I have directories where people can 
upload files for the benefit of all. At night a script is run to make 
those files unchangable the next day, i.e. people should be able to 
delete and change the files the same day they put them there - the 
next day the files are considered published for good. This works in a 
way. After

chown root *
chgrp other *
chmod 555

nobody with the guest account can upload a file with the same name as 
one already present. But *they can delete them*. How do I make them 
undeletable. I have tried to set the sticky bit with chmod 1555 but 
the files are still deletable to the guest group members. Is this 
due to some property in wu-ftp or in the client (it's WS-FTP95) or 
what? I have up to now been absolutely convinced that if I don't own 
a file, and it has r-x rights only, like the following

-r-xr-xr-t   1 root     other        101 Mar 17 13:16 svtest.txt

nobody but root could delete it.

Someone please enlighten me.

Best Regards,
Stig

------------------------------------------------------------
Stig Isaksson
Dialekt- och ortnamnsarkivet
Helgonabacken 14
S-223 62 LUND
S W E D E N
tel.: +46 46 222 74 68   fax: +46 46 15 23 81
e-mail: [email-masked]
http://www.dal.lu.se/

<Forstaor MIME    Understands MIME>
------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Konstantin Eftaxias <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 11:02:03 +0100 (MET)

> nobody but root could delete it.
The right to delete a file depends on the prmissions of the directory, not
the file! If you have write perms on a Directory, you may delete the file,
even if you are not allowed to read id ( thats from the file permissions !
)

> Someone please enlighten me.
Hope that helps,

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Konstantin Eftaxias 					Tel.: ++49 711 701 756
Eftaxias EDV Beratung					Fax.: ++49 711 701 339
Bernhauser Hauptstr. 29					eMail [email-masked]
70794 Filderstadt					
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Bill Campbell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 07:32:13 -0800

>On Tue, 17 Mar 1998, Stig Isaksson wrote:
....
>even if you are not allowed to read id ( thats from the file permissions !

On Unix systems setting the sticky-bit prevents anybody but the owner
of the file from deleting it.

Bill
--
INTERNET:   [email-masked]  Bill Campbell; Celestial Systems, Inc.
UUCP:               camco!bill  PO Box 820; 2835 82nd Avenue S.E. S-100
FAX:            (206) 232-9186  Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820; (206) 236-1676
URL: http://www.celestial.com/

Bagdikian's Observation:
	Trying to be a first-rate reporter on the average American
	newspaper is like trying to play Bach's "St. Matthew Passion"
	on a ukelele.