Subject: Problem with command line options

From: Harshal Savalia <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 11:54:24 +0500 (IST)

Hello,

	I think there is a problem with the  "-L","-i"  and "-o" options
	used in the command line options of ftpd.

	I have  started my ftpd daemon with the "-L" option.  I have not
	included "log commands" directive in my ftpaccess file.  Now man
	page for ftpd says as follow :

	If the -L option  is  specified,  commands  sent to the  ftpd(8)
	     server  will be  logged to the  syslog.  The -L  option  is
	     over-ridden  by the  ftpaccess(5)  file.  If the -L flag is
	     used, command  logging will be on by default as soon as the
	     ftp  server is  invoked.  This will cause the server to log
	     all USER commands,  which if a user  accidentally  enters a
	     password for that  command  instead of the  username,  will
	     cause passwords to be logged via syslog.

	So according to man page it should log all USER commands.  But I
	noticed that until you include "log  commands"  directive in the
	ftpaccess file it won't log the information.

	In the file access.c the function acl_setfunctions() initializes
	log_commands  variable  to zero.  I think this is the cause that
	suppresses the effect of "-L" command line option.

	Similar things  happened when I started ftpd daemon with command
	line  options  "-i" and "-o".  It is not logging  file  transfer
	information  in xferlog  file until you include "log  transfers"
	directive in the ftpaccess file.

	It can happen  that I have  interpreted  the thing  incorrectly.
	Can any one throw light on this matter.

	Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Harshal

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Harshal Savalia					email : [email-masked]
Hewlett Packard - ISO				Phone : (91)(80)2251554 x 1424
30C, Cunningham Road				Fax   : (91)(80)2200196
Bangalore 560 052				Telnet: 847-1424
India.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------