Subject: on the fly compression and archiving on HP-UX

From: "Juan Jose Villaplana Querol" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 20:00:19 +0100 (MET)

Hello,

We have installed  wu-ftpd  2.4.2-BETA-15 on a HP-UX 10.20 box, and have
patched it to  support  shadow  passwords  and the  installation  in the
directories '/opt/wu-ftpd/{adm|etc|lbin|man}'.

This ftp server  works fine, but we have  problems  with the 'on the fly
compression and archiving'.

We have compiled  statically  linked  versions of gzip and gnu tar, that
work well  separately, the problems arise when we try to use compression
and  archiving  together.  When  trying  to unpack  the  resulting  file
'file.tgz' (tar -zxvf file.tgz) the following error appear:

gzip:  file.tgz:  decompression OK, trailing garbage ignored

This occurs only with  anonymous  access.  When logging with a real user
this works fine.

Our 'ftpconversions' file is:

 :.Z:  :  :/bin/compress -d -c %s:T_REG|T_ASCII:O_UNCOMPRESS:UNCOMPRESS
 :   : :.Z:/bin/compress -c %s:T_REG:O_COMPRESS:COMPRESS
 :.gz: :  :/bin/gzip -cd %s:T_REG|T_ASCII:O_UNCOMPRESS:GUNZIP
 :   : :.gz:/bin/gzip -9 -c %s:T_REG:O_COMPRESS:GZIP
 :   : :.tar:/bin/tar -cf - %s:T_REG|T_DIR:O_TAR:TAR
 :   : :.tar.Z:/bin/tar --use-compress-program=/bin/compress -cf - %s:T_REG|T_DIR:O_COMPRESS|O_TAR:TAR+COMPRESS
 :   : :.tar.gz:/bin/tar --use-compress-program=/bin/gzip -cf - %s:T_REG|T_DIR:O_COMPRESS|O_TAR:TAR+GZIP
 :   : :.tgz:/bin/tar --use-compress-program=/bin/gzip -cf - %s:T_REG|T_DIR:O_COMPRESS|O_TAR:TAR+GZIP

We suppose  that this  problem  is due to the  'chroot'  to ~ftp done by
ftpd, We have tried to execute the  command  that  appears in the '.tgz'
entry of  ftpconversions,  with  'chroot ~ftp ....'  (as root) and works
fine ....

With  'compress'  we have  problems  too, we have not found a statically
linked version of this program, then we have put the libraries 'dld.sl',
'libc.1' and 'libdld.1'  under  ~ftp/usr/lib  and the character  special
file 'null' under  ~ftp/dev.  But on the fly compress  compression  does
not work (logged as anonymous).

Does anyone experiences these problems o has any clue that can help us?

Thanks in advance.

	Sincerely yours
			Juanjo

----
Juan Jose Villaplana Querol   [email-masked]
Servei d'Informatica
Universitat Jaume I - SPAIN

---

From: Harshal Savalia <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 16:57:37 +0500 (IST)

Hello,

	I am also trying on-the-fly feature on HP-UX. My ftpconversions
	file looks like this :

 :.Z:  :  :/bin/compress -d -c %s:T_REG|T_ASCII:O_UNCOMPRESS:UNCOMPRESS
 :   : :.Z:/bin/compress -c %s:T_REG:O_COMPRESS:COMPRESS
 :.gz: :  :/usr/contrib/bin/gzip -cd %s:T_REG|T_ASCII:O_UNCOMPRESS:GUNZIP
 :   : :.gz:/usr/contrib/bin/gzip -9 -c %s:T_REG:O_COMPRESS:GZIP
 :   : :.tar:/bin/tar -cf - %s:T_REG|T_DIR:O_TAR:TAR
 :   : :.tar.Z:/bin/tar -c -Z -f - %s:T_REG|T_DIR:O_COMPRESS|O_TAR:TAR+COMPRESS
 :   : :.tar.gz:/bin/tar -c -z -f - %s:T_REG|T_DIR:O_COMPRESS|O_TAR:TAR+GZIP

	       For me on the fly compress, uncompress, gzip, unzip, tar,
	       untar  working  fine.  But I am not able to do on the fly
	       tar+compress  and tar+gzip.  I am trying it for real user
	       only.  Can anybody give me any hint.

	I noticed that you are using  following lines in  ftpconversions
	for   on   the   fly   tar+compress.  What   does   the   option
	-use-compress-program  mean.  I tried these line in my file, but
	it doesn't work.

	       Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Harshal

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Harshal Savalia					email : [email-masked]
Hewlett Packard - ISO				Phone : (91)(80)2251554 x 1424
30C, Cunningham Road				Fax   : (91)(80)2200196
Bangalore 560 052				Telnet: 847-1424
India.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------