Subject: Re: exiting on signal 11 & thanks

From: "Stig Isaksson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 1998 11:04:29 GMT+200

Good morning,

Many, many thanks to all who helped me through the compilation, 
installation and bug workarounds of wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-16 (especially 
to Josef Siemes and Emil Isberg). Everything works excellently now!

Being unexperienced as to installing patches (I am studying the patch 
manual page), I used the workaround with separated parameters instead 
till beta-17 will appear, but that works fine too. (I was kicked of 
the list - due to some mail bouncing from our mail server evidently 
- during the time when the "beta-16 dies with single parm" thread was 
up, but have now retrieved the msgs from the archives).

Just one more little question (of a rather trivial nature and just 
out of curiosity): Is there anywhere to set the CC variable from 
start before running build. The only way to do it that I could think 
of was first running ./build sol and put up with the error msgs 
(because no compiler cc is found), then edit the CC variable in 
.../src/Makefile and .../support/Makefile and finally build again 
with no errors. Because those two Makefiles are created at build 
time, aren't they? I tried at first changing the variable in the two 
Makefile.gen but that wouldn't do. Darci Chapman in his "How-To Guide 
..." says "Be sure to set the environment variable CC to the 
appropriate path ...". But really setting CC as an environment 
variable doesn't do the trick either. Should it? The Makefiles will 
reset it anyway, won't they?

Sorry about the verbosity!

Best Regards,
Stig

------------------------------------------------------------
Stig Isaksson
Dialekt- och ortnamnsarkivet
Helgonabacken 14
S-223 62 LUND
S W E D E N
tel.: +46 46 222 74 68   fax: +46 46 15 23 81
e-mail: [email-masked]
http://www.dal.lu.se/

<Forstaor MIME    Understands MIME>
------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Stig Isaksson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 1998 22:03:51 GMT+200

Thank you, Hans!

> i did make for all the compilation work a symbolic link,
> as i nedd this every time and again and again, from 
> cc to gcc. for example: 
> ln -s /opt/FSFgcc/bin/gcc /usr/local/cc

Yes, it should have been obvious even to me. But my thoughts seemed to
go astray, as it were, because of Darci Chapmans talk of setting the
environment variable CC (which it is not, being a variable inside
scripts). I used a symbolic link, like you suggested, and it works
beautifully.

Greetings from an icy and snowy Lund,
Stig

P.S. I tried to send this directly to you at [email-masked] but 
it bounced with:

While talking to relay.bfl.at:
>>> MAIL From:<@nomina.lu.se:[email-masked]>
<<< 501 Syntax error
554 <[email-masked]>... Remote protocol error

   ----- Recipients of this delivery -----
Bounced, cannot deliver:
   <[email-masked]>

Just thought you ought to know (something amiss with your mail 
server?).