Subject: exiting on signal 11

From: "Stig Isaksson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 1998 16:59:39 GMT+200

Hi,

I sure could do with some help from rational and competent people
(which is as far as can be from what I feel myself at the moment). I 
am at my wits end now (well - again, then).

I run Solaris 2.5.1

I have up to now been using the original wu-ftpd Version wu-2.4(2) and
today I finally found courage to update, so I downloaded and installed
(so I thought) wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-16. Everything seemed to work rather
smoothly, compiling as well as installing; no error msgs - and the
files showed up where I wanted them (in temporary places, since I 
wanted to simply test the installation before I installed it for 
real).

After the installation process I ran ckconfig, which reported as
follows:

# ./ckconfig
Checking _PATH_FTPUSERS :: /etc/ftpusers
ok.

Checking _PATH_FTPACCESS :: /etc/ftpaccess
ok.

Checking _PATH_PIDNAMES :: /var/adm/ftp.pids-%s
ok.

Checking _PATH_CVT :: /etc/ftpconversions
ok.

Checking _PATH_XFERLOG :: /var/adm/xferlog
I can't find it... 
Don't worry, it will be created automatically by the
server if you do transfer logging.

Checking _PATH_PRIVATE :: /etc/ftpgroups
ok.

Checking _PATH_FTPHOSTS :: /etc/ftphosts
ok.
#

That seemed promising, I thought, so I entered the line in
/etc/inted.conf - thus:

ftp stream tcp nowait root /disk2/usr/sbin/in.ftpd in.ftpd -laio

and entered kill -HUP 102 (which was the pid of inetd).

But when I try to log in I get:

connecting to 130.235.143.145 ...
Connected to 130.235.143.145 port 21

! Connection failed

An ftp session at the console can look like this:

# ftp ftp.dal.lu.se
Connected to ftp.dal.lu.se.
421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection
Mar  3 16:25:44 grimnir.dal.lu.se ftpd[394]: exiting on signal 11 
ftp> quit

In the logs on the server I see:

Mar  3 14:32:35 grimnir.dal.lu.se inetd[102]: config: 100083/rpc/tcp
still active and was not reconfigured. 
Mar  3 14:32:44 grimnir.dal.lu.se ftpd[2958]: exiting on signal 11

And this happens not only after a SIGHUP, but, most astonishing of
all, even AFTER I REBOOT the server!

There are similar messagees in var/adm/messages:

Mar  3 14:32:35 grimnir.dal.lu.se inetd[102]: config: 100083/rpc/tcp
still active and was not reconfigured. 
Mar  3 14:32:44 grimnir.dal.lu.se ftpd[2958]: exiting on signal 11

The installation is on a secondary disk (mounted on /disk2 - see 
above) at the moment - a disk the file system of which work 
excellently in other cases. But could this really be the reason? 

Nothing is the matter with my ftpaccess file, I think. I copied (to
/etc) the one I have used with the old installation, and it contains
nothing extraordinary.

As soon as I switch back to my old installation (comment out - 
uncomment in inetd.conf + SIGHUP to inetd) everything works well 
again.

This seems really weird to me. If anyone could give me some idea where
to look for reasons I would be extremely grateful.

Best Regards,
Stig

------------------------------------------------------------
Stig Isaksson
Dialekt- och ortnamnsarkivet
Helgonabacken 14
S-223 62 LUND
S W E D E N
tel.: +46 46 222 74 68   fax: +46 46 15 23 81
e-mail: [email-masked]
http://www.dal.lu.se/

<Forstaor MIME    Understands MIME>
------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked] (Josef Siemes)
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 1998 17:32:26 +0100 (NFT)

> Mar  3 14:32:44 grimnir.dal.lu.se ftpd[2958]: exiting on signal 11

See http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/mail-archive/1997/Dec/0235.html,
it's a known bug in beta-16.

As a workaround you can give options like this: 
'...in.ftpd in.ftpd -l -a -i -o '

Regards,

Josef Siemes,
[email-masked]