Subject: Re: virtual ftp

From: [email-masked] (Andy Church)
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 10:04:46 EST

>i have now put BETA-16 on my server, and am now playing around with
>/etc/ftpacess. There is one thing that i am not clear on...
>Do i need to set up ip aliasing on my ethernet interface?

     Yes.  wu-ftpd determines which virtual host to use by looking at the
IP address to which the client connected.  The FTP protocol spec doesn't
define any way to pass a hostname, the way HTTP 1.1 does, and even if we
added a SITE command to allow such a feature, support for it would still
need to be added to all the FTP clients out there.  So yes, you need to set
up a separate IP address for each virtual server.

  --Andy Church                  | If Bell Atlantic really is the heart
    [email-masked]       | of communication, then it desperately
    www.dragonfire.net/~achurch/ | needs a quadruple bypass.

---

From: Paul Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 17:21:26 +0200 (SAT)

> up a separate IP address for each virtual server.

But what is the point of setting a virtual ftp server for someone who
already has his own IP address? He might as well just put an ftpd on his
machine... ?