Subject: Solaris 2.5.1...

From: Bill Viggers <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 16:22:48 +1300 (NZDT)

This is probably an FAQ, but I couldn't find the answer anywhere so 
here goes...

Anonymous ftp.
I just compiled up wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-16 on a Solaris 2.5.1 box.
Regular ftping works fine.  When I try to do anonymous ftping to
the box it logs me in fine, but as soon as I do an ls I get:
ftp> ls
200 PORT command successful.
425 Can't create data socket (0.0.0.0,20): No such file or directory.
ftp> 

Okay, now I don't think it's that I'm missing the required libraries
as if I do a chroot to the anonymous area I can ls to my hearts content.

Just to be sure, here is whats in the area:
scott:ftp-> ls -al bin/ usr/lib/
bin/:
total 38
dr-xr-xr-x   2 root     other        512 Feb 11 16:18 .
dr-xr-xr-x   8 root     root         512 Feb 11 15:10 ..
---x--x--x   1 root     other      16644 Feb 11 12:31 ls

usr/lib/:
total 1736
dr-xr-xr-x   2 root     other        512 Feb 11 13:13 .
dr-xr-xr-x   3 root     other        512 Feb 11 11:26 ..
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     other     137172 Feb 11 11:26 ld.so.1
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     other     664100 Feb 11 13:13 libc.so.1
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     other       2564 Feb 11 13:13 libdl.so.1
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     other      15720 Feb 11 13:13 libintl.so.1
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     other      39888 Feb 11 13:12 libw.so.1

Any ideas, patch recomendations?

B.

---

From: Jim Davis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 21:50:43 -0700 (MST)

> Okay, now I don't think it's that I'm missing the required libraries

I do.  You're missing several, in fact. 

Review the Sun (not wu-ftpd) in.ftpd man page.  For 2.5.1 you also need to
add libmp.so.*, though that's not what's causing that particular problem. 
Don't forget to check ~ftp/dev against the man page too.

---

From: Koos van den Hout _U nix and we all_ <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 09:36:54 +0100 (MET)

Quoting Bill Viggers, who wrote :

> This is probably an FAQ,

Indeed. Even the very term '425 Can't create data socket (0.0.0.0,20):' is
mentioned in the faq separately.

http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html

> as if I do a chroot to the anonymous area I can ls to my hearts content.

You are missing /dev and associated entries. Look at the script for
generating the anonymous area which is on the manpage of the Solaris (!)
ftpd.

                                       Koos

-- 
A Security Clearance level of Confidential is assumed on all email
correspondence. Please deal accordingly.