Subject: Re: Guest account for local user ??

From: Pete Holsberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 20:54:10 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 10 Feb 1998, Michael Brennen wrote:

> Yes.

Oh. I guess that's not what I want.

Here's the start of /etc/ftpaccess

class   mccc   	anonymous,real	*.mccc.edu 198.133.170.*
class	nonmccc	anonymous,real	*

I have staff members who use our ftp server from on campus
and -- by IP address -- are members of the "mccc" class.
When they dial in through our terminal server, they are
members of the "mccc" class. But if they use an outside ISP
and ftp from a "foreign" IP address, they become "nonmccc".

I have a limit on the number of nonmccc logins because
we're a NetScape mirror site.

Do you think you could show me how I can get the
"foreigners" to be in a class that's not "nonmccc". There
are too many of them and they use a whole bunch of
different IP addresses, so it's not feasible to try to
spell out the IP addresses in a "class" declaration.

"Guest" is not for them as it would wreak havoc on their
normal shell logins -- or have I misread something?

Thanks,
Pete

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 23:51:37 -0600 (CST)

I'm probably not the best to answer the question about shell logins
and /./, as I have no users that do this and don't know what the
effects are. 

For offsite campus personnel, I would collect a list of the ISPs that
they use and lump them into a class; it's been awhile since I looked
at this, but I think you can have multiple ftpaccess lines for a given
class.  I don't know any other reasonable way to do it, though it may
not be low maintenance.

Sorry about missing the obvious answer on the 421 error; too much
going too quickly to read much of anything closely now.  I'm glad Andy
pointed that out. 

   -- Michael