Subject: virtual ftp

From: Paul Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 14:04:58 +0200 (SAT)

hi all,

i have now put BETA-16 on my server, and am now playing around with
/etc/ftpacess. There is one thing that i am not clear on...
Do i need to set up ip aliasing on my ethernet interface?

ie, eth0:0 would be the servers ip address?
    eth0:1 the virtual ftp servers ip address????? this is my unserstanding
	this does not make sense. If the ftp server has their own IP, then
	what the hell do they need a virtual ftp host for? I am obviously
	wrong about this.

this means that for every ftp domain i wish to host, i have to put the
same ip address in?

eg, in /etc/ftpaccess, it could read

virtual x.x.x.x <root|banner|logfile>	/virt/ftp/domain1 (etc,)
virtual x.x.x.x <root|banner|logfile>	/virt/ftp/domain2 (etc,)
virtual x.x.x.x <root|banner|logfile>	/virt/ftp/domain3 (etc,)
virtual x.x.x.x <root|banner|logfile>	/virt/ftp/domain4 (etc,)

where the only thing that differs is the domain's directories?
i can see why the ip address' stay the same. How does wu-ftpd know which
domain is trying to be accessed... These may sound daft ;) but i am in
need of some answers (and i have checked a LOT of documentation, and none
of it actually goies into details of how to setup a virtual domain).

ok, thanks alot,
cheers
paul

----------------------
Paul Brown
Global Internet Access
Systems Administrator
[email-masked]