Subject: file upload problem

From: Kirk Baucom <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 1998 17:42:56 -0500 (EST)

hi

I'm having trouble with anonymous file uploads. Specifically, it allows
anonymous users to upload files into the incoming directory, and the ftp
program reports that it is indeed transferring the file, but when i look
at the file the size is zero. Anyone know what i might be doing wrong?

---

From: Rajeev Kumar <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 1998 17:52:24 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 5 Feb 1998, Kirk Baucom wrote:
More details can help finding the culprit!

It seems between ftp client and server, control channel is open but not
the data channel(through which actual data transfer). This is quite
possible if you trying this accross Firewall and restricting outsiders to
connect any random port to your domain. If this is the case then FTP
client on the other end is the culprit and you can replace this with
passive mode ftp client. If you have firewall installed u can check logs
of router if during FTP session anything being restricted.

This is just a possibility!

Rajeev

 baka>
baka>hi
baka>
baka>I'm having trouble with anonymous file uploads. Specifically, it allows
baka>anonymous users to upload files into the incoming directory, and the ftp
baka>program reports that it is indeed transferring the file, but when i look
baka>at the file the size is zero. Anyone know what i might be doing wrong?
baka>
baka>

---

From: Kirk Baucom <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 1998 02:22:18 -0500 (EST)

I'm not behind a firewall, and when i upload a file, everything appears to
be working fine (it gives the upload time and so forth). i can upload
files fine with the version of ftp that came with the OS. the machine is:
SunOS machine 5.5.1 Generic sun4m sparc SUNW,SPARCstation-5
and the file is actually being stored on a RAID that the machine is
connected to. the weird thing is, i just tried uploading a different file
and it works. the two files are:

-rw-------  1 kbaucom       786 Feb  1 08:41 sr
-rw-------  1 kbaucom   1122909 Feb  7 01:22 mail/stats

the second one works, the first one doesn't.

here's a log entry from when i try to upload the files:

Sat Feb  7 00:13:50 1998 1 machine.domain.com 786
/ftp/pub/incoming/sr a _ i a [email-masked] ftp 0 *

Sat Feb  7 02:05:56 1998 14 [email-masked] 1122909
/ftp/pub/incoming/stats a _ i a [email-masked] ftp 0 *

Then i tried ftp'ing from a different machine. first i tried a small file,
and it didn't work. then i tried a larger file and it did work.. it seems
that whenever i try to upload a relatively small file (a few kb), the size
ends up being zero, but if the file is larger (a couple hundred kb), it
works fine.