Subject: continued file upload problem

From: Kirk Baucom <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 11:21:58 -0500 (EST)

hi 

I'm continuing to have problems uploading small files using beta 15 and
sunos 5.5.1. basically, if i try to upload a file less than ~20k, it ends
up with the file size zero. if it's larger, it works fine. everything
appears to be fine with guest and real user uploads. i've tried uploading
from several different machines and the behavior is persistent, although
the file size that is required for a successful upload fluctuates
slightly. 

does anyone have any idea what might be going on?

 --------/\-/\-/\------Schizoid Innovations-------/\-/\-/\--------------
/ James K. Baucom                      "Well i sense a slight recoil    \ 
| [email-masked]                 Was it something that i said?"   |
| [email-masked]                    -Monster Magnet               |
\ [email-masked]                                                     / 
 --------/\-/\-/\---------------------------------/\-/\-/\--------------

---

From: [email-masked] (Andy Church)
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 12:09:43 EST

>does anyone have any idea what might be going on?

     No, but I'll tell you what it sounds like to me: the same sort of
thing that happens if you do something like "telnet some.host 25 < file".
(For those who've never tried, what happens is that telnet opens the
connection, then tries to read data; but since it hits end-of-file almost
instantly, it closes the connection right away again without actually
sending any data.)  Maybe this is an odd client or proxy bug?

  --Andy Church                  | If Bell Atlantic really is the heart
    [email-masked]       | of communication, then it desperately
    www.dragonfire.net/~achurch/ | needs a quadruple bypass.

---

From: Thomas Hagadorn (AMSAA/LAD) <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 98 14:52:10 EST

Kirk writes:
>up with the file size zero. if it's larger, it works fine.
>

  I don't know if this is related, but I've seen something similar, for
which I found a work around even though I still don't know the cause.
What I observed was that for some (not all) small files I tried to
upload, a size zero file would be created and I would receive a
'permission denied' message from the server EVERY time I tried to
upload that specific file (I removed the size zero file between
attempts).  If I moved the file to another name before I 'put' it, I
saw the same behavior (i.e. the filename isn't the problem).  If I did
the following procedure (at the unix command line, prior to anonftp)

     'cp -p problemfile okfile; rm problemfile; mv okfile problemfile'

the anonftp upload worked fine.  The only difference between the two
attempts that I can see is that the file's inode changed.  I've seen
this problem occur for 3 different files so far (all <1KB files), on a
wuftpd beta 16, sunos 5.4 system.  Thus far, the "copy, remove, move"
tactic has gotten around the problem each time.

--
Tom Hagadorn      [email-masked]