Subject: Question about email to 'ftp' user

From: Timothy J Luoma <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 98 13:48:33 -0500

I'm trying to make a secure setup for anon-ftp.

One of the suggestions is to make sure that the user (usually 'ftp') cannot  
receive email.

I think I have done so, but how can I check?  If I sent email to 'ftp@' it  
does not bounce and does not appear to end up anywhere

Thanks

TjL

---

From: "T's Mailing Lists" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 1998 09:06:54 +0000 (GMT)

> does not bounce and does not appear to end up anywhere

You can check your sendmail logs to know what happened with the mail.
There is a debug mode too with sendmail that tells you what sendmail does
when recieving a mail...
*
t

   "This Perl language is wonderful. Where can I get it - from Microsoft?"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                   Tomas Pospisek's mailing-lists mailbox   
           www.SPIN.ch - Internet Services in Graubuenden/Switzerland
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Timothy J Luoma <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 98 03:17:48 -0500

Author:        "T's Mailing Lists" <[email-masked]>
	Original-Date: Fri, 6 Feb 1998 09:06:54 +0000 (GMT)
	Message-ID:    <[email-masked]>

> You can check your sendmail logs to know what happened with the mail.

Well, I am not sure what this says:

Feb  6 03:09:35 luomat sendmail[16783]: DAA16783: from=luomat, size=122,  
class=0, pri=30122, nrcpts=1, msgid=<[email-masked]>,  
relay=luomat@localhost

Feb  6 03:09:35 luomat sendmail[16785]: DAA16783: to=ftp, ctladdr=luomat  
(100/0), delay=00:00:01, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=local, stat=Sent

Note: there is a .forward in ~ftp set to send mail to me, and I haven't  
gotten anything yet

TjL

---

From: Timothy J Luoma <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 98 12:27:10 -0500

"T's Mailing Lists" <[email-masked]> suggested making an email alias 'ftp'  
pointing to me, which seemed better and more secure than a .forward file

Thanks to all who offered suggestions,  I think it's solved now...

TjL

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 1998 16:58:59 +0200 (EET)

> Note: there is a .forward in ~ftp set to send mail to me, and I haven't  

That indicates that mail is not forwarded. Note that log tells final 
address.

/ Kari Hurtta

---

From: Kirk Baucom <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 1998 15:21:22 -0500 (EST)

You might want to check the permissions on your .forward file, i believe
it needs to be world readable.