Subject: Re: wrong timezone with syslog

From: Mark Bergstrom <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 22:46:30 -0600 (CST)

IRIX piece--
___________-

I forwarded the mail to each of the members cited in FIXES-2.4.2-BETA-14 on
separate trouble tickets for the GMT timestamp in syslog problem under IRIX.
So far, I have no positive replies that the SPT_NONE works for IRIX.  The
source for ftpd.c contains perfectly ordinary calls to the syslog().  There
is nothing obviously strange there, but it clearly does not grab
/etc/TIMEZONE info.

That would be tickets 267, 209, 218, 271, 356.

Chris Brown did reply that his issue had been with the xferlog timestamp,
but he no longer has an SGI to confirm his old setup.

SOLARIS piece--
___________-
We have a version on Solaris-2.5.1 that behaves correctly.  However, it was
NOT build with SPT_NONE as per the FAQ referenced in Bob Luckin's reply to
your question.  It is also an older release:  BETA-12.

Mark

Mail to all the original IRIX trouble ticketeers:

>Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 16:52:34
>To: [email-masked],[email-masked],
[email-masked],
[email-masked],[email-masked]
>From: Mark Bergstrom <[email-masked]>
>Subject: Wu and GMT timestamp
>
>You have all run into this problem.  The SPT_NONE is documented in the
thread found via "Greenwich Mean Time" in the wu-archives.  
>
>However, it has no successful effect.
>
>Have any of you ever figured out why all the syslog() calls in ftpd.c fail
to read the /etc/TIMEZONE under IRIX?  Better still, did any of you ever
make the timestamp work correctly?
>TNX
>Mark Bergstrom
_________________________________________________
UNIX TEAM--The spirit behind the dreams