Subject: C2 (enhanced) security on Ultrix 4.3a

From: Craig A Summerhill <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 1998 19:02:56 -0500 (EST)

Hey gang,

I was forced to upgrade the security on one of our hosts to level C2.
It is an Ultrix 4.3a installation.  The default (B1?) security is 
level is SECLEVEL=BSD.  At the C2 level (SECLEVEL=ENHANCED), passwords 
are encrypted and stored is a shadow file outside the /etc/passwd file 
using an authentication dbm database.

Anyway, wu-ftpd worked fine on this system...  until I upgraded.

Now, anonymous logins work correctly, but all the login attempts for
real users fail.  The syslog captures the attempts as failed logins:

Feb 28 18:21:10 localhost: 9271 ftpd: USER listmgr
Feb 28 18:21:14 localhost: 9271 ftpd: PASS password
Feb 28 18:21:15 localhost: 9271 ftpd: failed login from host.domain [IP], user

I suspect I need to change a flag or some definitions and recompile the
daemon, but my quick glance through the code and installation documents
didn't turn up anything.  Anybody have a quick answer?
-- 

   Craig A. Summerhill, Systems Coordinator and Program Officer
   Coalition for Networked Information
   21 Dupont Circle, N.W., Washington, D.C.   20036
   Internet: [email-masked]   AT&Tnet (202) 296-5098

---

From: Craig A Summerhill <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 1998 19:34:32 -0500 (EST)

Re: C2 (enhanced) security on Ultrix 4.3a

I forgot to mention in the first note.

I am running wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-16, and I *did* see a note in the 
wu-ftpd FAQ file from Andrew Sawyer regarding how to do this on 
Digital Unix.  It is not clear to me how hisfix applies to Ultrix...
--