Subject: Re: oops!

From: [email-masked] (Andy Church)
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 21:11:38 EST

>It should be an easy process to grep the source for the '421' and find
>out what causes this error.

     It would be--if it were a server-generated message.  But remember that
"421 Service not available..." is actually generated by the _client_ (may
whoever decided to make it look like a server message suffer for eternity).
Most of the time, this indicates that the server crashed (probably a
segmentation fault); a check of the syslog will tell for sure--look for
something like "wu-ftpd[12345]: exiting on signal 11".

  --Andy Church                  | If Bell Atlantic really is the heart
    [email-masked]       | of communication, then it desperately
    www.dragonfire.net/~achurch/ | needs a quadruple bypass.

>On Tue, 10 Feb 1998, Speier, Guy J - CNF wrote:
>
>> 	hello all ...
>> 	I'm sure this will be a simple one for you, but I just installed
>> beta 16,
>> 	and when I try to ftp into the machine, I get the following:
>> 
>> 	ftp machine
>> 	Connected to machine
>> 	220 machine FTP server (Version wu-2.4.2-academ[BETA-16](1) Tue
>> Feb 10 12:27:47 PST 1998) ready.
>> 	Name (machine:user): user
>> 	421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection
>> 	Login failed.
>> 	ftp> 
>> 
>> 	any suggestions?

---

From: Kristian Strickland <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 22:34:19 -0400 (AST)

Greetings,

> something like "wu-ftpd[12345]: exiting on signal 11".

	That's exactly what pranced by in my xconsole window as I tested my new
binary.  In fact, -a, -d and -v all caused the SIGSEGV (segmentation
violation).  However, when I remove the -a server option from /etc/inetd.conf
the server runs, but that doesn't turn on all the "extended features" which
make it worth switching to from DEC's native ftpd in the first place.

--Kristian

Kristian Strickland, BSc (StFX '94)          finger [email-masked]
System Administrator, Mt Allison University    to learn about MicroSpeak
Sackville, NB, Canada  506-364-2473
  --> Today's FAILED opcode:  EJD: Eject Disk

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 21:54:06 -0500 (EST)

> make it worth switching to from DEC's native ftpd in the first place.

There's a bug in wu-ftpd beta 15 (16? uh whatever's current .. it's been a
long day) with having only one option on the command line.  Try both -l
and -a on the line.

----

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              email: [email-masked] [205.133.13.8]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    voice: +1 (937) 299-7653