Subject: Strange beta 16 behavior

From: Amal Phadke <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 17:04:15 -1000 (HST)

Hi all

	I recently installed beta 16 on my MkLinux box. Interestingly if I
issue ftpwho command I get the following output.

Service class all: 
 3935  ?  S    0:00 sendmail: uhunix1.its.hawaii.edu: anonymous/joe@: IDLE     
   -   1 users ( 10 maximum)
( 10 maximum)

Note that instead of "ftpd", "sendmail" appears in the above output. Even 
"ps -ax|grep sendmail" shows it.

   54  ?  S    0:00 sendmail: accepting connections on port 25 
 3939  p1 S    0:00 grep sendmail 
 3935  ?  S    0:00 sendmail: uhunix1.its.hawaii.edu: anonymous/joe@: IDLE

Apart from this everything works fine. This is quite strange. This doesn't
happen in 15 so I am now back to beta 15. Can someone shed some light on
this?

TIA
---
Amal Phadke
Department of Ocean Engineering
University of Hawaii at Manoa

e-mail: [email-masked]

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 22:23:03 -0500 (EST)

> happen in 15 so I am now back to beta 15. Can someone shed some light on

There was a typo in beta 16 .. actually when the code from sendmail 8.8
was imported, the author forgot to change the string literal 'sendmail' to
'wuftpd'.  Grep the source code and you'll find the literal and can change
it yourself.

----

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              email: [email-masked] [205.133.13.8]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    voice: +1 (937) 299-7653

---

From: Amal Phadke <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 18:34:33 -1000 (HST)

> 'wuftpd'.  Grep the source code and you'll find the literal and can change

Found it! It's on line 3789 of src/ftpd.c. I recompiled and installed
wu.ftpd. Now everything is perfect. Thank you very much.

cheers'
---
Amal Phadke