Subject: inetd.conf and -laio flags

From: Patrick Wirth <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 19:57:20 -0500 (EST)

Hello all,

Here is my problem.  In my inetd.conf file I have the following lines

ftp     stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/ftpd  ftpd -laio
#ftp    stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/in.ftpd       in.ftpd

Using the first line with any amount of arguments will give me the
following error when connecting

421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection

also I get the following error in /var/adm/messages

exiting on signal 11

However, if I use the second line or the first line without any arguments
then I am able to connect without difficulties.  ftpd and in.ftpd are
identical binaries. 

Current setup
SunOS 5.6 Generic sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-1

Patrick

---

From: Alan Halachmi <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 18:41:52 -0600 (CST)

There havebeen reported some issues on sparc and Solaris...

Herer are the changes I needed to make:

Check the make file, if your'e using 2.6:
# On Solaris 2.6, remove snprint.c from the end of the next line
# SRCS   = fnmatch.c strcasestr.c strsep.c authuser.c snprintf.c
SRCS   = fnmatch.c strcasestr.c strsep.c authuser.c
# On Solaris 2.6, remove snprint.o from the end of the next line
# OBJS   = fnmatch.o strcasestr.o strsep.o authuser.o snprintf.o
OBJS   = fnmatch.o strcasestr.o strsep.o authuser.o

for sunworks4:

1. backup /usr/include/stdlib.h,/usr/include/arpa/ftp.h
2. commeon out refs. to realpath in /usr/include/stdlib.h
3. copy $WUSOURCE/support/ftp.h /usr/include/arpa/ftp.h
4. recompile.

Also, a known code error - which looks like what your problem is:
http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/mail-archive/1997/Dec/0234.html

Alan

Alan Halachmi, Head of Internet Services| UNIX and Networking Consultant
Solaris Administrator/ Web Design       | Ingram Entertainment &
Montgomery Bell Academy                 |       SpeedServe, Inc.
mailto:[email-masked]       | mailto:[email-masked]
http://www.montgomerybell.com           | http://www.speedserve.com

---

From: Patrick Wirth <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 11:37:05 -0500 (EST)

Tada!

I can't believe that I missed that blurb in the src code.  I had the
answer on my screen at least once while I was trying to get it to compile.

So, I removed the snprint.c and snprint.o from the specified lines in
/support/makefiles/Makefile.sol and recompiled.  It WORKED! but I noticed
the following inetd.conf strangeness: the first line below will produce
the error again but the second line works fine. 

# ftp stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/in.ftpd in.ftpd -laio
ftp stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/in.ftpd in.ftpd -l -a -i -o

Thanks for the help.

Patrick

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 11:01:09 -0500 (EST)

> > http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/mail-archive/1997/Dec/0234.html

----

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              email: [email-masked] [205.133.13.8]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    voice: +1 (937) 299-7653