Subject: Command line ftp clients work, web browsers, and GUI based ftp cl ients don't

From: "Gray, Mark M. " <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1998 14:13:16 -0600

OK, I'm really at a stumbling block.  I've read the FAQ's, the Managing
Internet Information Services book, and asked just about everybody I can
think of for the answer.

I have all the libraries that ls needs installed in the anonymous ftp
root directory exactly the way that chroot ~ftp /bin/ftpd-exec/ls wants
things as well as the command ldd ~ftp/bin/ftpd-exec/ls says are
required.

I am running this on Solaris 2.5.1
I compiled everything with the gcc compiler.
I am running this version of the WU-ARCHIVE:
FTP server (Version wu-2.4.2-academ[BETA-15])  
I've recompiled several times to try to find out what is going wrong
here but I'm still in the dark.

I tried this:

		Normal ftp clients work, Netscape ftp's fail. So,
passive mode doesn't work. 
				Apparently ftpd needs write permission
on ~ftp/dev/tcp in order to operate correctly in passive mode (Solaris).
Set it to the same mode as permissions shown by ls -lL /dev/tcp, being
666. Also read the Solaris man page for ftpd for Solaris-specific
information. Changed from previous versions 
				Fix: 

				cd ~ftp/dev
				chmod 666 tcp
				Thanks to Simon Rakov
([email-masked]) for this one. 

And
				cd ~ftp/dev
		chmod 666 zero

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks, 

Mark M. Gray
TYBRIN Corporation
Systems Administrator
46 TS OGET
(850) 882-2350  ext. 3389
DSN 872-2350 ext. 3389

---

From: Tatsuya Kawasaki <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 1998 07:24:34 +0900 (JST)

Dear Gray,

I am running "(Version wu-2.4.2-academ[BETA-15](1)"
on solaris 2.5.

here is what I have on ~ftp

.:
total 10
dr-xr-xr-x   2 root     other        512 Dec 30 19:59 bin
dr-xr-xr-x   2 root     other        512 Dec 30 19:59 dev
dr-xr-xr-x   2 root     other        512 Dec 30 20:23 etc
drwxr-xr-x   4 root     other        512 Jan  9 16:28 pub
dr-xr-xr-x   3 root     other        512 Dec 30 19:59 usr

./bin:
total 36
---x--x--x   1 root     other      17500 Dec 30 19:59 ls

./dev:
total 0
crw-rw-rw-   1 root     other     11, 42 Dec 30 19:59 tcp
crw-rw-rw-   1 root     other    105,  1 Dec 30 19:59 ticotsord
crw-rw-rw-   1 root     other     11, 41 Dec 30 19:59 udp
crw-rw-rw-   1 root     other     13, 12 Dec 30 19:59 zero

./etc:
total 12
-r--r--r--   1 root     other         57 Dec 30 20:02 group
-rwxrwxr-x   1 root     other         27 Dec 30 20:23 msgs
-r--r--r--   1 root     other       1064 Dec 30 19:59 netconfig
-r--r--r--   1 root     other        690 Dec 30 19:59 nsswitch.conf
-r--r--r--   1 root     other         90 Dec 30 20:03 passwd

./pub:
total 6
./usr:
total 2
dr-xr-xr-x   2 root     other        512 Dec 30 19:59 lib

./usr/lib:
total 3088
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     other      24576 Dec 30 19:59 ld.so
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     other     106768 Dec 30 19:59 ld.so.1
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     other     664048 Dec 30 19:59 libc.so.1
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     other       2568 Dec 30 19:59 libdl.so.1
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     other      15304 Dec 30 19:59 libintl.so.1
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     other     565500 Dec 30 19:59 libnsl.so.1
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     other      39340 Dec 30 19:59 libw.so.1
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     other      15636 Dec 30 19:59 nss_compat.so.1
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     other      10796 Dec 30 19:59 nss_dns.so.1
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     other      21028 Dec 30 19:59 nss_files.so.1
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     other      24408 Dec 30 19:59 nss_nis.so.1
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     other      28848 Dec 30 19:59 nss_nisplus.so.1
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     other       9316 Dec 30 19:59 straddr.so

I hope this will help.

Regards,

tatsuya
------------------------------------------------------

いつもお世話になっております かわさき@ giganetです。

かわさき

= = = = = =
電話 03-3239-0607 fax 03-3239-2609
business network telecom
http://www.giganet.net