Subject: Virtual hosting problems

From: Paul Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 16:17:04 +0200 (SAT)

hi there...

i have compiled and installed the latest version of wu-ftpd.2.4(84). I
have downloaded this so that i may enable virtual ftp hosting on one of
our servers. Problem is that when i restart inetd, and connect to the
host, i get kicked out if i log in anonymous. I can log in as a normal
users, just not with anon login. ftp comes back with the following :

o	Name (localhost:root): anonymous
o	331 Guest login ok, send your complete e-mail address as password.
o	Password:
o	421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection
o	Login failed.
o	No control connection for command: Illegal seek

I have not even started playing aroung with the virtual host option. what
is wrong on my side? (i have tried it on several machines, and continually
the same problem - maybe its something in the code ?)

This is what the entry in my inetd.conf for ftp is :

o	ftp    stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/local/etc/ftpd -i -l

Please, if anyone could help me, i would greatly appreciate it.
Btw, i am running slackware 3.0, and kernel 2.0.33.

thanks in advance
paul

----------------------
Paul Brown
Global Internet Access
Systems Administrator
[email-masked]

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 09:44:35 -0500 (EST)

> our servers. Problem is that when i restart inetd, and connect to the

I presume you mean you're running 2.4.2 Beta 16.  If not, you should
download and run it instead.

> Btw, i am running slackware 3.0, and kernel 2.0.33.

There's a bug in beta 16 which causes problems like this, a patch was
posted in December.

  http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/mail-archive/1997/Dec/0235.html

----

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              email: [email-masked] [205.133.13.8]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    voice: +1 (937) 299-7653

---

From: Paul Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 10:15:37 +0200 (SAT)

> download and run it instead.
i am actually running virtual.wu-ftp. This seems to be the standard
wu-ftpd app, but it has a few little extras...

> Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    voice: +1 (937) 299-7653
thanks for the reply any way. But it did not seem to work. Besides this
bug fix just seemed to fix the output of ps (could be VERY wrong tho ;)

So, again - Has anyone tries setting up virtual ftp'ing? Why does the damn
thing die everytime i make an anon connection. Do i need to set up IP
aliasing? do i create an /etc/virtual/x.x.x.x file (virtual-wuftp) or
modify the /etc/ftpaccess (wu-ftp with virtual support). 

I am not too sure as to what the difference is ;) Please could someone
explain to me. I have read documetaion, man pages... so please - help!

thanks
paul

----------------------
Paul Brown
Global Internet Access
Systems Administrator
[email-masked]