Subject: wu-ftpd probs

From: Daniel Leeds <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 11:59:54 -0800 (PST)

I am trying to set up an account for a particular user on solaris 2.5.1
so that they cannot telnet in, but have ftp access to a certain directory
and all files below that.           

i set up the account with /bin/false as the login shell, and put that
in /etc/shells.

when i go to use the ftpaccess file and use the guestgroup function
they cannot see any files in the directory nor can they go anywhere.

without this, they can login fine, but can access anywhere on the
system (cd /etc /usr/local etc)...this i do not want.

any suggestions?

-- 

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Daniel Leeds			Systems Administrator
(310)-581-4100 X227		Digital Facades
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

---

From: Dave Wreski <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 19:51:05 -0500 (EST)

> they cannot see any files in the directory nor can they go anywhere.

What do you have the users home directory set to in /etc/passwd?  It
should be the home directory you've created for that user in your ftp
tree.  Like this:

ftpuser:x:100:100:FTP User:/home/ftp/./home/ftpuser:/bin/false

So /home/ftp is their home directory, and then './home/ftpuser' indicates
where they should be placed when the login.  To them it appears like their
home directory.

At the /home/ftp level should contain a complete filesystem, including
lib, etc, bin, etc..

Be sure to read the installation instructions, and the FAQ, available at:

http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/

Dave