Subject: anonymous and guest acct problems

From: "Ing. Diana Liz Tejeda Cortes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 1998 15:45:05 -0800

Hi everyone:

I read and did everything listed in anonymous FTP FAQ and How to setup
Guest accounts and I can't get it to work, this is my configuration...

Irix 5.3

WU-FTPD-2.4

--------------

/etc/ftpaccess

loginfails 2

class   all   real,guest,anonymous *

limit   all   20  Any     /etc/msgs/msg.toomany

readme  README*    login
readme  README*    cwd=*

#message /welcome.msg	         login
#message .message                cwd=*

compress        yes             local remote
tar             yes             local remote

# allow use of private file for SITE GROUP and SITE GPASS?
private         no

# passwd-check  <none|trivial|rfc822>  [<enforce|warn>]
passwd-check    trivial  enforce

log commands real,guest,anonymous
log transfers anonymous inbound,outbound
shutdown /etc/msgs/shutmsg

# all the following default to "yes" for everybody
delete          no      anonymous               # delete permission?
overwrite       no      anonymous               # overwrite permission?
rename		no	anonymous		# rename permission?
chmod           no      guest,anonymous         # chmod permission?
umask           no      guest,anonymous         # umask permission?

# specify the upload directory information
upload  /disk2/ftp  *             no
upload  /disk2/ftp  /incoming     no     
upload  /disk2/ftp  /bin          no
upload  /disk2/ftp  /etc          no

# directory aliases...  [note, the ":" is not required]
#alias   inc:    /incoming

# cdpath
#cdpath  /incoming
cdpath  /pub
cdpath  /internet
cdpath  /

# path-filter...
path-filter  anonymous  /etc/msgs/pathmsg  ^[-A-Za-z0-9_\.]*$  ^\.  ^-
path-filter  guest      /etc/msgs/pathmsg  ^[-A-Za-z0-9_\.]*$  ^\.  ^-

# specify which group of users will be treated as "guests".
guestgroup ftpusers

email [email-masked]
----------------------------
/etc/passwd

ftp:*:1467:20:Anonymous FTP:/disk2/ftp:/etc/ftponly
dtejeda:*:1465:400:FTP guest user:/disk2/temp:/etc/ftponly

-----------------------------
/etc/group

user::20:
ftpusers::400:dtejeda

-----------------------------
/etc/shells

/bin/sh
/bin/csh
/etc/ftponly

-----------------------------
ls -l /disk2/ftp

dr-xr-xr-x    8 root     user         512 Jan  8 09:39 .
drwxr-xr-x   29 root     root        1024 Jan  9 10:35 ..
-r--------    1 root     root         551 Jan  7 13:03 .cshrc
-r--------    1 root     daemon         0 Jan  7 13:03 .forward
-r--------    1 root     root         632 Jan  7 13:01 .login
-r--------    1 root     root         641 Jan  7 13:03 .profile
-r--------    1 root     daemon         0 Jan  7 13:03 .rhosts
-rw-r--r--    1 root     daemon       606 Jan  7 13:03 README
d--x--x--x    2 root     daemon       512 Jan  7 12:58 bin
dr-xr-xr-x    2 root     daemon       512 Jan  7 14:03 dev
d--x--x--x    3 root     daemon       512 Jan  8 19:18 etc
dr-xr-xr-x    4 root     user         512 Jan  7 13:03 internet
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     daemon       512 Jan  7 13:00 lib
dr-xr-xr-x    7 root     user        1024 Jan  7 12:56 pub

------------------------------
ls -l /disk2/temp

drwxrwxr-x    6 dtejeda  ftpusers    1024 Jan  8 19:17 .
drwxr-xr-x   29 root     root        1024 Jan  9 10:35 ..
d--x--x--x    2 root     root         512 Jan  7 13:40 bin
dr-xr-xr-x    2 root     root         512 Jan  7 14:03 dev
d--x--x--x    2 root     root         512 Jan  8 13:38 etc
-rw-r--r--    1 dtejeda  ftpusers    1540 Jan  7 13:52 exrut1.txt
-rw-r--r--    1 dtejeda  ftpusers 10290604 Jan  7 13:52
gcc-2.7.2.1.tar.gz
-rw-r--r--    1 dtejeda  ftpusers   72676 Jan  7 13:52 gzip-1.24
-rw-r--r--    1 dtejeda  ftpusers   16498 Jan  7 13:52 iss121.shar.gz
d--x--x--x    2 root     root         512 Jan  7 13:40 lib

--------------------------------

LOG of the Anonymous FTP session:

Connected to: btu
USER anonymous
331 Guest login ok, send your complete e-mail address as password.
PASS
230-Please read the file README
230-  it was last modified on Tue Dec 23 01:15:11 1997 - 17 days ago
230 Guest login ok, access restrictions apply.
SYST
CWD /disk2/ftp
PWD
CWD /
Connection Closed

---------------------------------

LOG of the Guest Account Session:

Connected to 200.33.20.90.
220 delta FTP server (Version wu-2.4(3) Tue Dec 23 13:37:32 PST 1997)
ready.
Name (200.33.20.90:root): dtejeda
331 Password required for dtejeda.
Password:
230 User dtejeda logged in.  Access restrictions apply.
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
ftp> ls
200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for /bin/ls.
226 Transfer complete.
---------------------------------------------------

Do you know why is doing that?

If the guest user is not in the ftpusers group, then the `ls` command
shows the directory list.

Can you help me with this or where can I have some help?

Thanks in Advance!!!

-- 
............................................................
Ing. Diana Liz Tejeda Cortes	[email-masked]
System Administrator
BTU Comunicacion, S.A. de C.V.  http://www.acabtu.com.mx