Subject: How can I enable Site EXEC

From: Scot Needy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 1998 15:26:05 -0500

Solaris 2.5.1 

How can I enable site exec chmod? 

We only allow real users in to publish html in a chrooted env 
and we also allow them to do their own CGI. 

We need to enable the site exec. 

Umask is only working for directories. 

Thanks 
Scot

---

From: Bob Luckin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 98 15:10:46 CST

Scot Needy said :-
> Umask is only working for directories. 

If ALL you want to do is chmod, you don't need to enable site exec.
WU-FTPD supports chmod via the SITE CHMOD command (ie. no exec needed).

I'm running on Solaris 2.5 and I can connect from an HP-UX ftp client
(which has a built-in "chmod" command - which I assume issues a "SITE CHMOD")
and it works fine; if I connect from a Solaris client I have to use
"quote site chmod", but this also works - I don't have site exec enabled on
my Solaris 2.5 server.

(I'm running an old version of wu-ftpd, but I assume this aspect hasn't
changed significantly.  Someone please correct me if site exec is now
required...)

I hope this helps solve your problem.

Cheers, Bob
-- 
Bob Luckin      [email-masked]
"Emit no data, coder ?  Adapt !  FTP Ada, redo C a tad - on time !"
[http://www.dhc.net/~luckin/palindromes.html]

---

From: Scot Needy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 1998 07:33:27 -0500

Bob; 

 Thanks for your RE but I think I got problems which stem from 
 compile time. Here all the commands ftpd understands.
ftp> ?
Commands may be abbreviated.  Commands are:

!               cr              macdef          proxy           send
$               delete          mdelete         sendport        status
account         debug           mdir            put             struct
append          dir             mget            pwd             sunique
ascii           disconnect      mkdir           quit            tenex
bell            form            mls             quote           trace
binary          get             mode            recv            type
bye             glob            mput            remotehelp      user
case            hash            nmap            rename          verbose
cd              help            ntrans          reset           ?
cdup            lcd             open            rmdir
close           ls              prompt          runique
ftp>

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 1998 09:02:36 -0500 (EST)

Um .. nope .. those are the commands your local ftp client understands.

---

From: Bob Luckin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 98 11:59:56 CST

Scot Needy said :-
> case            hash            nmap            rename          verbose

Gregory Lundberg replied :-

>Um .. nope .. those are the commands your local ftp client understands

Exactly.  What you have listed above are the commands your ftp client
program knows - not the commands understood by the wu-ftpd server.

Since your client understands "quote" (which passes the rest of the command
directly to the FTP server), if you enter something like :-
   quote site chmod 666 myfile
in your ftp, it should work with the wu-ftpd server (which in turn should
unbderstand the "site chmod" command).

Try it and see...

Cheers, Bob

---

From: Scot Needy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 1998 13:55:34 -0500

> unbderstand the "site chmod" command).
U R Right Sir 

Thanks to all for the help and lesson

Scot