Subject: Virtual FTP dying on domains with 8+ characters

From: Joel Turoff <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 17:32:43 +0000

Greetings!

I hope I haven't overlooked this one in the FAQ or in the archive.

I've got (Version wu-2.4(3)) running on a BSD/OS 2.1 server and I've
recently run into an odd problem when setting up virtual ftp sites.

Basically, if the domain name has more than eight characters, users cannot
use a browser to get a directory listing of the virtual FTP root.  Users
can anonymous ftp into the virtual site from a Unix command line and can
use the ws_ftp client to anonymous ftp in.  In both cases, they are
presented with a list of the subdirectories in their site.  But trying to
pull up the site from a browser just hangs.  No problems with domain names
under 8 characters.

When I put ftpd in debug mode, here's what the log says.  I'd appreciate
any tips or pointers on resolving this problem.

TIA,

Joel

______________________________

log entry:

Jan 14 14:27:39 frodo ftpd[19431]: <--- 220- 
Jan 14 14:27:39 frodo ftpd[19431]: Welcome to to our FTP Server
Jan 14 14:27:39 frodo ftpd[19431]: <--- 220- 
Jan 14 14:27:39 frodo ftpd[19431]: 
Jan 14 14:27:39 frodo ftpd[19431]: <--- 220 
Jan 14 14:27:39 frodo ftpd[19431]: frodo.mydomain.net FTP server (Version
wu-2.4(3) Tue Dec 10 10:55:50 PST 1996) ready.
Jan 14 14:27:40 frodo ftpd[19431]: command: USER anonymous^M 
Jan 14 14:27:40 frodo ftpd[19431]: open of pid file failed: No such file or
directory
Jan 14 14:27:40 frodo last message repeated 2 times
Jan 14 14:27:40 frodo ftpd[19431]: <--- 331 
Jan 14 14:27:40 frodo ftpd[19431]: Guest login ok, send your complete
e-mail address as password.
Jan 14 14:27:40 frodo ftpd[19431]: command: PASS mozilla@^M 
Jan 14 14:27:40 frodo ftpd[19431]: exiting on signal 11

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 17:33:20 -0600 (CST)

This is a *very* old release; does it even support virtual FTP???  You
should upgrade to beta 15 (16 has a few gotchas for some OSs) below
for bug fix and security reasons.  I have no problem with virtual site
> 8 chars in the domain name.  From the messages below you have
something badly misconfigured but don't know, could be the old WU
release. ???

   -- Michael

> use a browser to get a directory listing of the virtual FTP root.  Users

This is the location for the latest wu-ftpd.  You can't see the
directory contents, but get the file anyway.  It's there.

ftp://ftp.academ.com/pub/wu-ftpd/private/wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-15.tar.Z

wu-ftpd FAQ:  http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html
              OR
              send mail to [email-masked]
              with a subject line: send faq

guest howto:  ftp://ftp.fni.com/pub/wu-ftpd/guest-howto
              OR
              send mail to "[email-masked]"
              (immediate autoresponder; subject does not matter)

wu-ftpd Resource Center:  http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/
wu-ftpd list archive:     http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/mail-archive/

There are additional security references in the above docs.