Subject: real users showing up as guests

From: Becki Kain <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 12:09:40 -0500 (EST)

If a real user is also part of a guest group, they can't get to their own
home directory when they ftp in (du 4.0/beta 15).  What am I doing wrong?

thanks

beckers

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 11:25:17 -0600 (CST)

I don't understand; a guest is chroot'ed into their home directory. ??

   -- Michael

---

From: Becki Kain <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 12:39:16 -0500 (EST)

sorry, if a real user is part of a guest group (ie:  a group that is
listed in guestgroup in ftpaccess) then when they log in, they end up in
the guest group and cannot cd into their own home directory.

sorry for being vague

---

From: Bob Luckin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 98 12:06:37 CST

Becky said :-
> home directory when they ftp in (du 4.0/beta 15).  What am I doing wrong?

I _think_ what you are doing wrong is putting a real user into a guestgroup,
when you want them to have real user rights...  :-)

As I understand it, one of the functions of the guestgroup is to provide
limited access to the site; anyone in that group will be chrooted to a
special area for the guestgroup and should not be allowed access outside
that area.  So it sounds like guestgroups is working fine in your setup.

Since you don't appear to want to restrict the access of your real user,
why not simply remove them from the guestgroup ?

Since I don't use guestgroups much myself I may have misunderstood the
problem, in which case I stand to be corrected...

Cheers, Bob
-- 
Bob Luckin   [email-masked]   "On data, coder, adapt - FTP Ada, redo C a tad, no ?"
                           [http://www.dhc.net/~luckin/palindromes.html]