Subject: Re: Virtual Users

From: [email-masked] (Andy Church)
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 1998 09:40:05 EST

>	Guest users require password and it uses passwd file. The question
>	is that it should use some other configuration file rather than
>	using passwd or shadow files. I don't think this is possible in
>	current version of wu-ftpd. Corrct me if I am wrong.

     This is not possible, period.  Check the FAQ
(http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html) for information on how to
set up users which only have FTP, and not telnet or other, privileges.
Also see the guest HOWTO (ftp://ftp.fni.com/pub/wu-ftpd/guest-howto) for
information on how to set up users which have access to only a particular
directory.

  --Andy Church                  | If Bell Atlantic really is the heart
    [email-masked]       | of communication, then it desperately
    www.dragonfire.net/~achurch/ | needs a quadruple bypass.

---

From: [email-masked] (Perry Rovers)
Date: 18 Jan 1998 20:39:41 GMT

Pink elephants with an attitude inspired Andy Church <[email-masked]> to tell garfield.mail.wu-ftpd:
:>	Guest users require password and it uses passwd file. The question
:>	is that it should use some other configuration file rather than
:>	using passwd or shadow files. I don't think this is possible in
:>	current version of wu-ftpd. Corrct me if I am wrong.

:      This is not possible, period.  Check the FAQ
: (http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html) for information on how to
: set up users which only have FTP, and not telnet or other, privileges.
: Also see the guest HOWTO (ftp://ftp.fni.com/pub/wu-ftpd/guest-howto) for
: information on how to set up users which have access to only a particular
: directory.

It would be a nice feature though.. I have a site here that will start to
require some major maintenance in terms of adding/deleting/modifying users.
I'd love to be able to delegate this to the owner of the site, but since the
ftpd is working with the 'regular' passwd files and the owner isn't supposed
to mess with that, this isn't really possible. A .ftpaccess would be nice.

-- 
Perry Rovers ([email-masked])

---

From: Jon Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 00:18:45 -0500 (EST)

> to mess with that, this isn't really possible. A .ftpaccess would be nice.

How about using an inetd (maybe xinetd) that supports "virtual interfaces"
and have it start a ftpd chrooted such that /etc/passwd is acutally
/home/blah/ftp/etc/passwd?  Sounds simple enough.  I do a simlar thing to
have a backup radiusd that uses /var/radius/etc/passwd as /etc/passwd.

------------------------------------------------------------------
 Jon Lewis <[email-masked]>  |  Unsolicited commercial e-mail will
 Network Administrator       |  be proof-read for $199/message.
 Florida Digital Turnpike    |  
______http://inorganic5.fdt.net/~jlewis/pgp for PGP public key____