Subject: invisible ftp

From: Yan Zhu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 1998 21:11:49 -0500

hi all :)
	I set up a guest ftp account. Everything works fine except when I log
in using web or a ftp gui client such as cuteftp, the directory appears
to be empty. I am running linux. If I ftp in using dos prompt, I can see
everything in it, and I can upload and download just fine. If I use
cuteftp or web, I can upload successfully, but afterwards I won't see a
thing in the directory.

	help please! thanks in advance. 

yan

---

From: Dave Wreski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 1998 22:52:21 -0500 (EST)

> cuteftp or web, I can upload successfully, but afterwards I won't see a

Sounds like directory permission problem.  Most likely 'cuteftp' and
netscape reconnect and relogin on every file transfer.  This may have
something to do with how it reads the directory tree, and file
permissions.

Be sure directories you wish to read have read permissions, and
directories you wish to access have execute permissions.

Also, typically, files that guest users upload should be unreadable, and
changed to be owned by root, which will avoid warez trading...  If you
wish to have users read these files, consider creating a 'guestgroup',
which has a finer level of user/group control.

If you are confident directory permissions are correct, check to make sure
you are putting the user in the correct spot in the ftp tree to read
~ftp/usr/lib.

If you still don't understand, respond with more information.  What is
this going to be used for?  How many people will be using this account?
Have you read the ftpaccess man page?  Do you know how to use standard
unix file permissioning?

Dave

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 1998 22:32:23 -0600 (CST)

Your external 'ls' is not working.  The FAQ, guest howto and other
resources below will help you get it working. 

   -- Michael

> to be empty. I am running linux. If I ftp in using dos prompt, I can see

This is the location for the latest wu-ftpd.  You can't see the
directory contents, but get the file anyway.  It's there.

ftp://ftp.academ.com/pub/wu-ftpd/private/wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-16.tar.Z

wu-ftpd FAQ:  http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html
              OR
              send mail to [email-masked]
              with a subject line: send faq

guest howto:  ftp://ftp.fni.com/pub/wu-ftpd/guest-howto
              OR
              send mail to "[email-masked]"
              (immediate autoresponder; subject does not matter)

wu-ftpd Resource Center:  http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/
wu-ftpd list archive:     http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/mail-archive/

There are additional security references in the above docs.

---

From: "Randy A. Katz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 1998 20:42:35 -0800

Gee,

You wouldn't happen to be on a virtual FTP would you? If so, you must
specify virtual as the first argument in ftpaccess for that virtual FTP
rather then the domain name...(please let me know)...

Thanx,
Randy Katz