Subject: guest groups

From: lnstar programmer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 02:15:52 -0600 (CST)

I am having problems setting up guest groups for certain accounts. It
appears that it has something to do with wuftp reading the passwd file
upon login for these guest group accounts. When I try to ftp in with these
accounts and enter the passwd, I get a login failed message. Telnet works
fine from these accounts.
Standard anonymous ftp works, and so does ftp with accounts that are
standard user accounts (non-guests).

For each guest account I am creating an entry in the /etc/passwd file, and
adding them to an entry in the /etc/group as a member of group 'client'.
Those are the only additions made with respect to guest users.

I am wondering if there are some permission problems with reading the
passwd file somehow. I have to get past this stage before I can even try
to get the rest of it working.

This is linux 2.0.33 using wuftp[beta15]

Any help is appreciated!

-allen-

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 09:47:07 -0600 (CST)

Do you use shadow passwords?  Is wuftpd compiled w/ or w/o shadow?

If you haven't gone over the guest howto be sure to do so.

   -- Michael