Subject: Help with logs

From: Adalto Silva Correia Filho <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 11:17:32 -0300 (GRNLNDST)

Dear friends,

	I've recently installed wu-ftpd-2.4.2b16 and I'm having a little 
trouble with logs. How should I configure my syslogd to log :

- unsuccesful logins ?
- user commands ?

	I've already tried the option -i but it doesn't create the file 
xferlog by itself. So I tried creating a /usr/adm/xferlog with a 777 
mode, but it still doesn't log anything on it. I would appreciate a 
little help on configuring this one too.

	Thanks in advance. I'll be expecting for any answers.

Adalto S. C. Filho

---

From: Hermann Heimhardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 17:09:59 +0100

Hi,
> xferlog by itself. So I tried creating a /usr/adm/xferlog with a 777 
You should never ever create logging information with this permission set.
Everybody on with a login on your system can alter those files (and hide
important information) !

[root@ftp adm]# ls -al xferlog
-rw-------   1 root     root       13504 Jan 28 15:33 xferlog

This is sufficient.

> little help on configuring this one too.
Did you check where your wu-ftpd expects it's logfiles:
There is a program called ckconfig in the wu-ftpd tarball. Run it and watch
the output.
[root@ftp etc]# ./ckconfig 
Checking _PATH_XFERLOG :: /var/adm/xferlog
ok.                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
check if the file is there||||||||||||||||

I have something like this within the fwtk that starts the ftp daemon:
netacl-in.ftpd: permit-hosts * -exec /usr/local/etc/in.ftpd -a -l -o -i -d
and it logs just fine.

hh
-- 
[email-masked]    HH937-RIPE   http://www.scn.de/~hermann (PGP key available)
Hermann Heimhardt           Siemens Business Services Internet Administration
A sucking chest wound is nature's way of telling you to slow down.

---

From: Tatsuya Kawasaki <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 08:54:23 +0900 (JST)

simple question

Did you check config file? Are you sure is this the locaton
where it suppose to put out log?
some system put out the log /var/adm ...

Check it out.  

thnx

tatsuya

いつもお世話になっております かわさき@ giganetです。

かわさき

= = = = = =
電話 03-3239-0607 fax 03-3239-2609
business network telecom
http://www.giganet.net