Subject: wu-ftp2.4 upload deny

From: [email-masked] (Jeffrey Liu)
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 17:59:04 -0800

I've sent it before but didn't receive any reply.
The problem is still exist.  Hope to get some help.

Jeffrey

------------- Begin Forwarded Message -------------

We are using wu-ftpd 2.4 on a SunOS 4.1.4 server.
We setup 'admin' user account to upload to ~ftp/pub directory.
and 'anonymous' account to upload to ~ftp/outgoing directory.

ftpaccess file
....
upload  /home/ftp  /pub          yes     admin   admin  0600 dirs
upload  /home/ftp  /pub/*        yes     admin   admin  0600 dirs
upload  /home/ftp  /outgoing       yes     ftp   ftp   0600 dirs
upload  /home/ftp  /outgoing       yes     ftp   ftp   0600 dirs

...
~ftp is /home/ftp  and 'admin' home directory is /home/ftp also.

'anonymous' has no problem to upload files to ~ftp/outgoing directory
but 'admin' get error when upload to ~ftp/pub directory:
ftp> put faq.html
200 PORT command successful.
553 faq.html: Permission denied. (Upload)

The permission of ~ftp/pub is 755 and is owned by 'admin'.

What do we missing?

Thanks,

Jeffrey
[email-masked]

------------- End Forwarded Message -------------

---

From: Dave Wreski <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 21:57:03 -0500 (EST)

> We are using wu-ftpd 2.4 on a SunOS 4.1.4 server.

You should be using the more secure development versions, 2.4.2-BETA-16.

> and 'anonymous' account to upload to ~ftp/outgoing directory.

Just how did you set it up?  It would be much easier if you specified whet
exactly you were trying to do.  I believe should look something like this: 

admin:x:100:100:Admin FTP:/home/ftp/./pub:/bin/noshell
ftp:x:101:100:Anon FTP User:/home/ftp/./outgoing:/bin/noshell

Group 100 would be 'ftp' if you want to allow users to share files.
Else use 100 for 'ftp' and another number for 'admin', like you have
indicated in your ftpaccess file.

> upload  /home/ftp  /outgoing       yes     ftp   ftp   0600 dirs

Why do you have two identical lines?  Also, do you have a line that looks
like:

upload /home/ftp *	no

that might be preventing you from uploading to a specific directory?  Have
you tried to remove one line at a time to figure out which one is causing
the problem?

> ~ftp is /home/ftp  and 'admin' home directory is /home/ftp also.

This is fine, and make their home directory owned by root, so they cannot
write to their own directory.  I think this will enhance security by
preventing ~/.rhosts and other exploits.  Then change them to the
directory they are allowed to write to when the login, using the '/./ftp'
convention, as shown above.

> but 'admin' get error when upload to ~ftp/pub directory:

They do not appear to be in the same group.  What are the permissions of
the directory they can write to?  You say ~ftp/pub is 755, but is user
'ftp' in the admin group?

> What do we missing?

Provide more information on what you really want to do.  Do you simply
want the admin user to retrieve/read files left by ftp?

Dave