Subject: Problems setting up wu-ftpd on Solaris 2.5

From: Werner Hack <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 18:50:45 MET

Hi all,

I am having problems setting up an aftp server on a Solaris 2.5 machine
with wu-ftpd 2.4.2-beta15. 

I have been using a shell script from SunSolve SRDB #12193 that should
actually do the whole setup (devices, shared libs, timezone ...).
After connecting from a client, I am unable to use DIR or GET cmds 
without having the following error:

ftp> ls
200 PORT command successful.
425 Can't create data socket (0.0.0.0,20): No such device or address.
ftp> 

I have retried several times to rebuild the structure but to no avail.
When I trace the server process I see that ~ftp/dev/tcp is actually
causing problems:

[607] strace -f -p 21145
...
alarm(0)                                ø57
write(1, "200 PORT command successful.\r\n"..., 30) ó0
sigaction(SIGALRM, {0xef677d90, [], SA_RESETHAND|SA_NODEFER}, {0xef677d90, [], SA_RESETHAND|SA_NODEFER}) ð
alarm(900)                              ð
time()                                  ø85489613
stat("/etc/ftpd/msgs/shutmsg", 0xeffff220) ÿ1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
read(0, "NLST\r\n", 8192)               ö
alarm(0)                                ù00
stat(".", {st_modeÿIFDIR|0777, st_sizeQ2, ...}) ð
open(".", O_RDONLY|O_NDELAY)            ù
fcntl(9, F_SETFD, FD_CLOEXEC)           ð
fstat(9, {st_modeÿIFDIR|0777, st_sizeQ2, ...}) ð
getdents(9, [total 3 dents], 1048)      ô4
seteuid(0)                              ð
open("/dev/tcp", O_RDWR)                ÿ1 ENXIO (No such device or address)
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
seteuid(200)                            ð
write(1, "425 Can\'t create data socket (0"..., 71) ÷1
close(9)                                ð
sigaction(SIGALRM, {0xef677d90, [], SA_RESETHAND|SA_NODEFER}, {0xef677d90, [], SA_RESETHAND|SA_NODEFER}) ð
alarm(900)                              ð
time()                                  ø85489613
stat("/etc/ftpd/msgs/shutmsg", 0xeffff220) ÿ1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
[...]

Here is a listing of the device files:

[27] ls -laL /dev/tcp ~ftp/dev/tcp
crw-rw-rw-   1 root     sys       11, 42 Dec 21  1996 /dev/tcp
crw-rw-rw-   1 root     sys       11, 42 Jan 21 10:58 /home/ftp/dev/tcp

As this is not an unusal configuration someone else must have come across this
before. I would greatly appreciate any pointers on how to fix this.

Thanks & regards

Werner

--
Werner Hack                              voice: +49 911 5217 212
Ericsson Eurolab GmbH                    fax:   +49 911 5217 952
R&D Radio Communication                  email: [email-masked]
Nuernberg, Germany                       memo:  ERI.EED.EEDWHA

---

From: Alan Halachmi <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 12:15:13 -0600 (CST)

You need to do two things:
1) Make sure that ~ftp/dev/tcp and ~ftp/dev/zero exist w/ 666 permissions
2) go into ~ftp/bin and run ldd ./ls; make sure that the referred
libraries exist in ~ftp/usr/lib/

You'll need to do the same thing for compress and tar. 

Unless I'm forgetting something else, that's it.

Alan

Alan Halachmi, Head of Internet Services| UNIX and Networking Consultant
Solaris Administrator/ Web Design | Ingram Entertainment & Montgomery Bell
Academy | SpeedServe, Inc.  mailto:[email-masked] |
mailto:[email-masked] http://www.montgomerybell.com |
http://www.speedserve.com