Subject: tar/gzip on the fly revisited

From: Keith Warno <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 01:37:14 -0500 (EST)

OK, this problem stil hasn't been solved.  It's a stumper, for sure.

I tried many tricks to get it to work, but on-the-fly tar/gzip still does
not work for anonymous users.  It only works for real users.  I even tried
Kent Landfield's ftpconversions (thank you) but that didn't work either.
*sigh*

~ftp/bin/ has all the archiving utilities, from compress to zip.  All
programs are mode 111 (as suggested by the man page).  Why the server
treats anonymous users differently than real users when it comes to
compression is beyond me.

Attached is my ftpaccess setup.  It's a little funky; it is only set up
for real users and anonymous users because I didn't see the need for
guests.  The operating system in question is Linux (Slackware 3.4) -- some
wise guys out there would probably say that this is where the problem is.
;)  Indeed, this may be true.  Also, feel free to explore the ftp server.
The address is eh1a2.poly.edu.  There isn't anything exciting (just some
Linux stuff), but if you see anything that doesn't look right, please let
me know.

Thanks for the help on this subject.  Please send any personal replies to
[email-masked] because the sendmail daemon at this address is wrapped and
mail sent here will be bounced.

Keith Warno

PS -- Out of curiosity, I tried this on-the-fly compression stuff on an
older Linux box running wu-ftpd 2.4.  The owner and I couldn't get the
damn thing to work for anonymous users there either.  ;(
-----
Please send all personal replies to [email-masked].
Otherwise, the mail you send may be returned to you.

loginfails 1

#class   local   real,guest,anonymous 128.238.220.* localhost
#class   remote  real,guest,anonymous *
class local_real real 128.238.220.* localhost
class local_anon anonymous 128.238.220.* localhost
class remote_real real *
class remote_anon anonymous *

#limit   local   5   Any                 /etc/msgs/msg.toomany
#limit   remote  10  SaSu|Any1800-0600   /etc/msgs/msg.toomany
#limit   remote  5   Any                 /etc/msgs/msg.toomany
limit local_real 5 Any /etc/msgs/msg.toomany
limit local_anon 5 Any /etc/msgs/msg.toomany
limit remote_real 5 Any /etc/msgs/msg.toomany
limit remote_anon 5 Any /etc/msgs/msg.toomany

deny !nameserved /etc/msgs/msg.notnameserved

# for the anonymous people
noretrieve /etc/passwd /etc/group core
# for the real people
noretrieve /usr/home/ftp/etc/group /usr/home/ftp/etc/passwd
noretrieve /etc/passwd /etc/shadow /etc/groups core

readme  README*    login
readme  README*    cwd=*

banner /etc/msgs/welcome.msg
message /.welcome.msg           login
message .message                cwd=*

compress yes *
tar yes *

# allow use of private file for SITE GROUP and SITE GPASS?
#private         yes
private no

# passwd-check  <none|trivial|rfc822>  [<enforce|warn>]
passwd-check    rfc822  warn

log commands real
log transfers anonymous,real inbound,outbound
shutdown /etc/shutmsg

# all the following default to "yes" for everybody
#delete          no      guest,anonymous         # delete permission?
#overwrite       no      guest,anonymous         # overwrite permission?
#rename		 no	guest,anonymous		# rename permission?
#chmod           no      anonymous               # chmod permission?
#umask           no      anonymous               # umask permission?
delete no anonymous
overwrite no anonymous
rename no aonymous
chmod no anonymous
umask no anonymous

# specify the upload directory information
upload  /usr/home/ftp  *             no
#upload  /usr/home/ftp  /incoming     yes root wheel 0600 nodirs
upload  /usr/home/ftp  /incoming     no
upload  /usr/home/ftp  /bin          no
upload  /usr/home/ftp  /etc          no

# directory aliases...  [note, the ":" is not required]
alias   inc:    /incoming

# cdpath
cdpath  /incoming
cdpath  /pub
cdpath  /

# path-filter...
path-filter anonymous /etc/msg.path ^[-A-Za-z0-9_\.]*$ ^\. ^-
#path-filter  guest      /etc/pathmsg  ^[-A-Za-z0-9_\.]*$  ^\.  ^-

# specify which group of users will be treated as "guests".
guestgroup ftponly

email [email-masked]

---

From: Dieter Meinert <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 10:17:25 +0100

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

 Do you use statically linked progs or dynamically ?
In the latter case You'd need to put the required libraries into the
anonymous ftp area, too.

|=>  
|=>    This message is in MIME format.  The first part should be readable text,
|=>    while the remaining parts are likely unreadable without MIME-aware tools.
|=>    Send mail to [email-masked] for more info.
|=>  
|=>  ---293590564-1497093302-881822234=:349
|=>  
|=>  OK, this problem stil hasn't been solved.  It's a stumper, for sure.
|=>  
|=>  I tried many tricks to get it to work, but on-the-fly tar/gzip still does
|=>  not work for anonymous users.  It only works for real users.  I even tried
|=>  Kent Landfield's ftpconversions (thank you) but that didn't work either.
|=>  *sigh*
|=>  
|=>  ~ftp/bin/ has all the archiving utilities, from compress to zip.  All
|=>  programs are mode 111 (as suggested by the man page).  Why the server
|=>  treats anonymous users differently than real users when it comes to
|=>  compression is beyond me.
|=>  
|=>  Attached is my ftpaccess setup.  It's a little funky; it is only set up
|=>  for real users and anonymous users because I didn't see the need for
|=>  guests.  The operating system in question is Linux (Slackware 3.4) -- some
|=>  wise guys out there would probably say that this is where the problem is.
|=>  ;)  Indeed, this may be true.  Also, feel free to explore the ftp server.
|=>  The address is eh1a2.poly.edu.  There isn't anything exciting (just some
|=>  Linux stuff), but if you see anything that doesn't look right, please let
|=>  me know.
|=>  
|=>  Thanks for the help on this subject.  Please send any personal replies to
|=>  [email-masked] because the sendmail daemon at this address is wrapped and
|=>  mail sent here will be bounced.
|=>  
|=>  Keith Warno

Regards,
						Dieter 
 
  _____________________________*__________________________________
 /                          *       [email-masked]         \
 \ Dieter Meinert    (-      **     http://abrixas.aip.de/~dieter/ \
  \__________________A______*__*___________________________________/
   (public pgp key from http://abrixas.aip.de/~dieter/.Adresse.html)