Subject: Academ version of wu-ftpd 2.4 Release 2 Beta 16 available for testing

From: [email-masked] (Stan Barber)
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 17:30:05 -0600 (CST)

BETA 16 is now available. It has been tested on the following systems:

Solaris 2.4 x86, Solaris 2.5.1 x86, Solaris 2.6 Sparc, SunOS 4.1.4, 
Unixware 2.1, FreeBSD 2.2.5-RELEASE, BSD/OS 1.1, BSD/OS 2.1, BSD/OS 3.1, 
SCO Open Server 5, Linux 1.3.39 and 2.0.X.

I would like to hear from folks with access to HP-UX, Digital Unix, IRIX
and AIX in particular. Please send mail to the [email-masked]
address.

If hardware companies wish to donate equipment running their proprietary
UNIX derivatives to me for doing maintenance work on this and the other
packages I maintain (NNTP, RN, etc), please contact me directly to discuss.

If software companies that sell UNIX derivatives I don't to which I don't
have access wish to donain copies of their UNIX derivative to me for the
purposes of doing maintenace work on this and the other packages I maintain,
please contact me directly to discuss.

This is another release candidate. 

The location is: 
	ftp://ftp.academ.com/pub/wu-ftpd/private/wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-16.tar.Z

NOTE: This directory is protected. Attempts to use a directory listing 
command will fail.

You can also check http://www.academ.com/academ/wu-ftpd for more information.

** FIXES IN THIS RELEASE**
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 478 from Andrey A. Chernov <[email-masked]> noted that I had made
an error in the final release in not completely including all the changes
necessary to make SKEY part of the basic ftp configuration for FreeBSD. I have
fixed this for this release.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 482 from Mike McLagan <[email-masked]> offered a patch to 
ftpcount to make sure that the numbers listed are no lower than zero. This
patch is included in this release.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 485 from Aaron St. Pierre <[email-masked]> suggested a change to
building the support library under Solaris 2 that would ld from getting
upset. This change is included in this release.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 486 from Brett M Hogden <[email-masked]> offered some fixes for AIX
and some small code cleanups. Some of these appear in this release.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 487 from Becki Kain <[email-masked]> notes that for 
versions of Digital Unix without C2, you have to undef SECUREOSF in the
config file for Digital Unix. This has been added to NOTES.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 489 from Matt Power <[email-masked]> provided a fix to address a 
problem that can come up with strings that are not properly null terminated.
This patch is included in this release.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 492 from Pascal A. Dupuis <[email-masked]> noted that there is
some conflicts between some subroutine names (getline and logwtmp) in wu-ftpd
and function in glibc2. These conflicts are now resolved in this release.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 495 from Daniel Baker <[email-masked]> claims that
under FreeBSD 2.2.5, ftpwho and ftpcount don't return any data at all.
Beta 16 does not do this on this release, so either this problem doesn't
exist or is fixed.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 497 from Jonathan Roy <[email-masked]> points out that wu-ftpd can
hang in in "read" forever. A fixed based on a patch submitted by Jon Lewis 
<[email-masked]> has been encorporated into this release.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 500 from LaMont Jones <[email-masked]> offered a change
for permitting ftphosts to be dynamically allocated and not fixed at 100
hosts. He also provided patches that cause guestgroup to be revaluated 
after autogroup is run. These changes are included in this release.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 504 from Mike Pearlman <[email-masked]> suggested that the
man page for the daemon be installed as ftpd.1m instead of in.ftpd.1m. This
is done in this release.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 505 from Gildas Perrot <[email-masked]> suggested some specific
changes for HP-UX. Now, HP-UX builds with VIRTUAL defined by default.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 506 from Kenneth Whitaker <[email-masked]> is trying
to build wu-ftpd using the C Compiler bundled with HP-UX 10.X. This compiler
is not the correct one to use, so the NOTES file now reflects this. Of course,
this information is based on information from HP-UX users. I don't have HP-UX,
so I don't know if this is really true or not.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tickets 507, 508, 546 adn 547 from Kevin L. Mitchell <[email-masked]>
provided a vital set of fixes for the reply subroutine. There were a number
of errors in the implementation, especially when vprintf is not available.
These fixes are included in this release.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 510 from Michael Helm <[email-masked]> suggested that all 
man pages should not be installed with a mode 755. They have all be changed
to 644 in this release.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 511 from Patrik Backstrom <[email-masked]> and Ticket 563 from Matt 
Soffen <[email-masked]> suggested that -D_NO_PROTO be added to CFLAGS 
in the AIX Makefiles. I have done this, but don't have any idea if it will 
work. I don't have an AIX machine to test on.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 514 from Geoff Baysinger <[email-masked]>, Ticket 532 from Marta 
Ferreyra <[email-masked]> and Ticket 561 from Stephen P. Carrier 
<[email-masked]> noted that there was spaces where there should be 
tabs in the Makefile for OSF. This is corrected in this release.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 518 from Shingo Fujimoto <[email-masked]> pointed out a 
number of porting issues with SVR4 derived systems and Solaris 2 in
particular. These centered around support for utmp/wtmp entries. The porting
issues have been addressed in this release.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 526 from Vic Summerour <[email-masked]> notes the difference
in how SecureWare is implemented on Digital Unix 3.2 and Digital Unix 4.0.
I don't know if I have resolved this or not. I don't have access to 
Digital Unix.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 528 from Chris Metcalf <[email-masked]> offers a significant
fix for ftpcmd.y. It will prevent some systems from faulting when they 
encounter a null pointer. Many systems already handle this, but some don't
and this will insure that those are covered as well.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 530 from T.Y. Wu <[email-masked]> offered a number of small fixes 
to make it easier to compile on AIX. I have included these, but I don't
know if they help or not. I don't have AIX.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tickets 533 from Pieter Immelman <[email-masked]> offered a small bugfix for
the gzip2cmp utility. This is included in this release.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 537 from Olaf Kirch <[email-masked]> point up a long standing problem
in the code that does port checking. This bug makes it possible to exploit
priviledged ports on the host system or the client system (but not other
systems). The bug fix is based on the one developed by caldera and
is included in this release.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tickets 562 and 564 from Joe Gross <[email-masked]> noted that off_t is a 
long long on AIX 4.2. I have attempted to compensate for this in ftpd.c, but 
I don't have an AIX system to test on, so it may not work. This affects
places where wu-ftpd wants to print the size of files or the size of transfers.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 568 from Ian Willis <[email-masked]> provided a number of fixes. These
included a free for save.pw_passwd when sgetpwnam() is used, a memory leak
problem in send_data(), and receive_data now uses a dynamically allocated
buffer. These are included in this release.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 569 from Ian Willis <[email-masked]> notes that the install shell script
(when used on OpenServer 5) does not work correctly. His fix for this is in
this release. Also, he notes that the man pages can be installed and used with
either nroff or groff is available. Groff can be obtained for OpenServer 5 from
the sco web site. So, man pages will now be installed on SCO.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------