Subject: Guest FTP In Solaris 2.5x--AAAARGGH!

From: Duncan Sterling <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 1997 18:04:54 -0500 (EST)

After succesfully setting up guest FTP under RedHat Linux without a hitch,
I've taken a shot at doing the same thing under Solaris 2.5.1 running on
a Ultrasparc, But--

Despite painstakingly compiling up a statically linked version of 'ls',
creating all the required directories, copying all the required libraries
(listed on David Chapman's very helpful Wuftp-Solaris Page), trussing ls,
and ldd'ing all the library files, I'm *still* getting the dreaded error
message when attempting to ls: 

"425 Can't create data socket (0.0.0.0,20): Bad file number."

If I test my statically linked ls inside of a chroot, it works flawlessly;
if I log in with a guest account, I get the error message.

I'm basically at a brick wall here, and would *greatly* appreciate any
suggestions...

TIA,

--Duncan

---

From: Emil Isberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 1997 00:29:04 +0100 (MET)

>if I log in with a guest account, I get the error message.

The first problem is that you should read the FAQ before you post ..
this problem have apeared a few times ..
The second problem is that wuftpd overwrites the ftpd man page (it should
be fixed in the latest beta(s) or so) ..

The manpage is great to read because it say how you set it up on Solaris
..

To the specific problem ..

You need the ~guest/dev directory and more specific:
 /dev/zero  /dev/tcp  /dev/udp  /dev/ticotsord 
(created with mknod and chmodded to 666)
(read it as ~guest/dev/zero and so on)

in your case I would suspect that at least ~guest/dev/tcp is missing ...

Check out this links for more information:
wu-ftpd FAQ:  http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html
              OR
              send mail to [email-masked]
              with a subject line: send faq
 
guest howto:  ftp://ftp.fni.com/pub/wu-ftpd/guest-howto
              OR
              send mail to "[email-masked]"
              (immediate autoresponder; subject does not matter)
 
wu-ftpd Resource Center:  http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/
wu-ftpd list archive:     http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/mail-archive/

-- 
/Emil
Running on overtime.