Subject: FTP uploads stalling

From: Jeff Klassen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 1997 12:34:09 -0400

Dear users of wu-ftpd,

I have recently joined this list and am in need of some help.

We have a Linux system running Slackware 3.1 (kernel 2.0.27) and wu-ftpd
(the wu.ftpd file date is Dec 5/1995).  Recently we have needed to
switch to a new service provider where we have a 128K ISDN decicated
connection.  With our previous ISP we did not experience any (known)
trouble with ftp uploading, yet now we have a situation where once an
upload is begun, the server will begin to receive the file at a good
transfer rate, but slowly as the transfer continues the transfer rate
will decrease and eventually the user's ftp client will either appear to
hang or quit processing the upload.  Downloading operates just fine. 
The maount of the file that is actually completed seems to be just
relative to the speed of their connection -- in speaking with our ISP
they could transfer files up to about 1MB before the halt ocurred, but
with my 28.8 dialup connection I can get about 250K uploaded.

I have discussed this with the ISP for some time, but since there are no
other connection troubles and the connection appears to be solid and
clean, it was recommended that I look into whether this is a problem
with the FTP server software.

Is there anyone on this list who can shed any light on the issue. As a
novice system administrator I would appreciate any feedback that any of
you can offer.

Sincerely,

========================================================================
Jeff Klassen                                 [email-masked]
Canadian Bible Society                       Ph:  (519) 741-8285
Translations/CAP                             Fax: (519) 741-8357