Subject: Re: How to deal with WareZ?

From: Dave Jevans <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 1997 12:18:12 -0800 (PST)

>> /incoming/_ZW_/zerawleetz.nfo b _ i a [email-masked] ftp 0 *

>The 'i' after the '_' would indicate that the file was incoming. An

When we built our FIleDrive SX and EX servers (partially based on wu-ftpd)
we tried to deal with this Warez problem.  I got hacked late last
year by some naughty warez kiddies.  SO what we did is:
 1- Web-based admin system so you can configure these things more easily.
 2- Security auditing system that can alert you to new dirs and files
      that get uploaded.  We also added some treats that scan the
      file types looking for things that could be OS patches.  There
     are some nasty vulnerabilities in UNIX that can let folks
    who can upload really clobber you ....

 3- upload perms are on a per user basis, *not* per directory as in wu.

If you wanna know more, just call.  :-)

www.filedrive.com - ass kicking secure FTP with extensible transactions.

DJ

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 1997 14:57:13 -0600 (CST)

This is now the second or third time you have done this.  IMO you are
out of line promoting your product here.  This is a support list for
wu-ftpd, not a forum for you to be pitching your warez.  The quality
and/or utility of your product is irrelevant to the charter of this
forum.  Please stop the Unsolicited Commerical Email.

   -- Michael

---

From: "James M. Gray II" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 1997 16:53:04 -0500

> out of line promoting your product here.  This is a support list for

I couldn't agree more.  If this activity of pickup up "leads" off
of this list continues, people will avoid using a list for support,
sharing of knowledge due to the high incident of "sales calls".

Jim Gray