Subject: Re: owner/group names ... solved

From: Roland Holzapfel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 1997 09:37:43 +0000

Hi

I had problems seeing the owner and group names in "dir"-command.

Thanks to Jim Davis:

[email-masked] said:
> This looks like a Solaris 2.5.[1] system?

actually it's 2.6

> If so, there are a couple
> of problems I noticed with permissions on device files, and probably
> some other stuff you're missing too.  You need to check the Sun -- not
> wuftpd!  in.ftpd man page carefully; it will list all the stuff and
> all the permissions you need.  

He's right.

And the best is, there's a shell script at the end of that man page 
which makes the directory setup for bin, dev, etc and usr.
Because I'm not sure about legal rights, I don't post it here. But it 
worked for me after repairing one line:

orig: ftplib="`echo $ftplib | tr ' ' '0 | sort | uniq`"
new : ftplib="`echo $ftplib | tr '^M' ' ' | sort | uniq`"

the ^M is a ctrl-M.

Cheers, Roland.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Roland Holzapfel    | Fraunhofer-Institut f. Graphische Datenverarbeitung
                    | Rundeturmstrasse 6       phone: ++49 (0)6151 155315
                    | 64283 Darmstadt          fax:   ++49 (0)6151 155399
[email-masked]| Germany           http://www.igd.fhg.de/~holzapfel/
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Martin Kirscht <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 1997 20:30:58 +0100

Hi,

I still have the same problems seeing the owner and group names.

Roland Holzapfel wrote:
[...]
> > This looks like a Solaris 2.5.[1] system?
Our server runs Solaris 2.5.1

> > all the permissions you need.
I followed all the instructions on Sun's in.ftpd man page and also tried
the script at the end of the man page. But it doesn't work. I only see
UID and GID numbers using the 'dir' command.

> new : ftplib="`echo $ftplib | tr '^M' ' ' | sort | uniq`"

The version 2.5.1 doesn't have this line. 
Any hints for Solaris 2.5.1?

Thanks, Martin

P.S.: In addition, here is the directory setup:

# ls -l /data/ftp
total 20
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     other          7 Aug  5 11:54 bin -> usr/bin/
dr-xr-xr-x   2 root     sys          512 Dec  2 15:14 dev/
dr-xr-xr-x   2 root     other        512 Dec  2 12:39 etc/
d-wxrwx--x   2 ftp      tntwiss      512 Dec  2 09:57 incoming/
dr-xrwxr-x   4 ftp      tntwiss      512 Nov 14 10:22 outgoing/
dr-xrwxr-x  27 ftp      infomgr     1024 Dec  2 00:27 pub/
dr-xr-xr-x   6 root     other        512 Nov  3 19:31 usr/

# ls -l /data/ftp/dev
total 0
crw-rw-rw-   1 root     sys       11, 42 Dec  2 15:14 tcp
crw-rw-rw-   1 root     sys      105,  1 Dec  2 15:14 ticotsord
crw-rw-rw-   1 root     sys       11, 41 Dec  2 15:14 udp
crw-rw-rw-   1 root     sys       13, 12 Dec  2 15:14 zero

# ls -l /data/ftp/etc
total 8
-r--r--r--   1 root     other        464 Dec  2 12:39 group
-r--r--r--   1 root     other       1064 Aug  5 11:54 netconfig
-r--r--r--   1 root     other        459 Dec  2 12:25 passwd

# ls -l /data/ftp/usr
total 8
dr-xr-xr-x   3 root     other        512 Sep 18 12:36 bin/
dr-xr-xr-x   3 root     other        512 Mar  3  1997 etc/
dr-xr-xr-x   2 root     other       1024 Dec  2 15:14 lib/
dr-xr-xr-x   3 root     other        512 May  3  1996 share/

# ls -l /data/ftp/usr/bin
total 598
---x--x--x   1 root     other      15144 Aug  5 11:56 compress*
d--x--x--x   2 root     other        512 Sep 18 12:36 ftp-exec/
---x--x--x   1 root     other     208860 Aug  5 11:56 gzip*
---x--x--x   1 root     other      16644 Dec  2 15:14 ls*
---x--x--x   1 root     other      50340 Aug  5 11:56 tar*

# ls -l /data/ftp/usr/lib
total 4320
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     other      24576 Dec  2 15:14 ld.so*
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     other     137160 Dec  2 15:14 ld.so.1*
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     other         11 Dec  2 15:14 libc.so ->
./libc.so.1*
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     other     662764 Dec  2 15:14 libc.so.1*
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     other     516096 Sep 21  1993 libc.so.1.8*
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     other         12 Dec  2 15:14 libdl.so ->
./libdl.so.1*
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     other       2564 Dec  2 15:14 libdl.so.1*
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     other      24576 Sep 22  1993 libdl.so.1.0*
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     other         14 Dec  2 15:14 libintl.so ->
./libintl.so.1*
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     other      15720 Dec  2 15:14 libintl.so.1*
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     other         13 Dec  2 15:14 libnsl.so ->
./libnsl.so.1*
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     other     566700 Dec  2 15:14 libnsl.so.1*
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     other         16 Dec  2 15:14 libsocket.so ->
./libsocket.so.1*
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     other      68780 Dec  2 15:14 libsocket.so.1*
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     other         11 Dec  2 15:14 libw.so ->
./libw.so.1*
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     other      39932 Dec  2 15:14 libw.so.1*
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     other         14 Dec  2 15:14 nss_dns.so ->
./nss_dns.so.1*
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     other      10792 Dec  2 15:14 nss_dns.so.1*
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     other         16 Dec  2 15:14 nss_files.so ->
./nss_files.so.1*
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     other      21144 Dec  2 15:14 nss_files.so.1*
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     other         14 Dec  2 15:14 nss_nis.so ->
./nss_nis.so.1*
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     other      24404 Dec  2 15:14 nss_nis.so.1*
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     other         18 Dec  2 15:14 nss_nisplus.so ->
./nss_nisplus.so.1*
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     other      28844 Dec  2 15:14 nss_nisplus.so.1*
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     other         14 Dec  2 15:14 straddr.so ->
./straddr.so.2*
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     other       9312 Dec  2 15:14 straddr.so.2*

-- 
  /| /|                   mailto:[email-masked]
 / |/ | /                 phone: +49-511-762-5305, fax: +49-511-762-5333
/artin|/\irscht           http://www.tnt.uni-hannover.de/~kirscht

Institut f. Theoretische Nachrichtentechnik und Informationsverarbeitung
Universitaet Hannover, Appelstrasse 9A, D-30167 Hannover, Germany

---

From: Jim Davis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 1997 13:41:50 -0700 (MST)

> UID and GID numbers using the 'dir' command.

The manpage misses libmp.so*, unfortunately.  So try copying
/usr/lib/libmp.so.* to your ftp library directory and see if that fixes
it.

---

From: Martin Kirscht <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 1997 10:34:57 +0100

> /usr/lib/libmp.so.* to your ftp library directory and see if that fixes

This is the right hint, thank you.

Additionally, the entries in ~ftp/etc/passwd must have the right number
of ':', e. g.

root:*:0:1:::

Otherwise (if the concluding ':::' are missing) the entry is taken 
from NIS passwd.

Martin

---

From: Gabe Grigorescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 11:21:57 -0800 (PST)

After copying the appropriate libraries, the owner/group names are still
not shown.  Is this working for anyone else on a Solaris 2.6 box?  (I'm
running 2.4.2.-b15).  Thanks!

Gabe

On Wed, 3 Dec 1997, Martin Kirscht wrote:

: Jim Davis wrote:
: > 
: > On Tue, 2 Dec 1997, Martin Kirscht wrote:
: > 
: > > I followed all the instructions on Sun's in.ftpd man page and also tried
: > > the script at the end of the man page. But it doesn't work. I only see
: > > UID and GID numbers using the 'dir' command.
: > 
: > The manpage misses libmp.so*, unfortunately.  So try copying
: > /usr/lib/libmp.so.* to your ftp library directory and see if that fixes
: > it.
: 
: This is the right hint, thank you.
: 
: Additionally, the entries in ~ftp/etc/passwd must have the right number
: of ':', e. g.
: 
: root:*:0:1:::
: 
: Otherwise (if the concluding ':::' are missing) the entry is taken 
: from NIS passwd.
: 
: Martin
: -- 
:   /| /|                   mailto:[email-masked]
:  / |/ | /                 phone: +49-511-762-5305, fax: +49-511-762-5333
: /artin|/\irscht           http://www.tnt.uni-hannover.de/~kirscht
: 
: Institut f. Theoretische Nachrichtentechnik und Informationsverarbeitung
: Universitaet Hannover, Appelstrasse 9A, D-30167 Hannover, Germany
:

---

From: Dusten McKee <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 21:04:48 -0600 (CST)

Yes. We run b15 on Solaris 2.6. I had to just break down and build a
static ls and it works fine now. The time it took to get everything
together (gnu sources and the static patch) and make the static ls
compared to the time I spent working on it previously made me wish I had
just made the static ls at the begining.

So, if you are looking for an opinion of what to do on Solaris 2.6...my
vote goes to just throwing in the towel and building a new ls.

On Wed, 3 Dec 1997, Gabe Grigorescu wrote:

->
->After copying the appropriate libraries, the owner/group names are still
->not shown.  Is this working for anyone else on a Solaris 2.6 box?  (I'm
->running 2.4.2.-b15).  Thanks!
->
->Gabe

  ..:
 ::.: |,-.|\  |,-- ---        Dusten McKee
 ..:: || || \ ||--  |         System Administrator
 :::: |`-'|  \|`--  |         ioNET, Inc.
 ::.:.....                    [email-masked]
 .:::.::.: INTERNETWORKING    Tel: (405) 270.0999
 ::.::.:.: SERVICES           Fax: (405) 270.7055
 ::.:..:.:
 : :.:..::
  .   :  .
     . .
 . 
     .

---

From: MICHELE CONTI <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 1997 09:57:58 +0100 (NFT)

Hi,

I've had the same problem, working with nis.
Changing the permission in dev/ directory, now it works:

ll dev
total 4
   2 d--x--x--x   2 root     sys          512 Nov 28 12:34 ./
   2 drwxr-xr-x   7 root     sys          512 Dec  2 10:57 ../
   0 crw-rw-rw-   1 root     sys       13,  2 Nov 28 12:07 null
   0 crw-rw-rw-   1 root     sys       11, 42 Nov 28 11:34 tcp
   0 crw-rw-rw-   1 root     sys      105,  1 Nov 28 11:34 ticotsord
   0 crw-rw-rw-   1 root     sys       11, 41 Nov 28 11:34 udp
   0 crw-rw-rw-   1 root     sys       13, 12 Nov 28 11:34 zero

try putting write permission for other.

Dr. Michele Conti
Environment Institute, Informatics Support Group 
Joint Research Centre of the European Communities
T.P. 280 I-21020 Ispra (VA) ITALY