Subject: Re: How to deal with WareZ?

From: Dave Jevans <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 1997 15:41:30 -0800 (PST)

>This is a support list for
>wu-ftpd, not a forum for you to be pitching your warez.  The quality
>and/or utility of your product is irrelevant to the charter of this

Sure.  I guess I figured that since I do post answers to many
questions on a frequent basis, and because our product is 
the only professionally supported wu-ftpd-compatible in the world,
that maybe occaisionally someone might want to hear about
it.

We've got people who've spent more than 1 year each of their lives
living inside the wu code on a daily basis, so we're pretty qualified
to answer questions about it.

Generally, if I err and mention our product, it is because it support
a feature that someone on the list asks for, but that isn't
available in wu.

I'll be quiet now.

DJ
David Jevans, President
Differential Inc.  -  Software For Extranet Business Communities
[email-masked]
(408) 864-0603
www.differential.com       

  * Try FileDrive EX: Commerce-grade FTP Server And Client Software *

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 1997 21:36:42 -0600 (CST)

> that maybe occaisionally someone might want to hear about

I don't remember seeing answers from you regarding specific help with
wu-ftpd.  I read much mail quickly, so maybe I missed it.  So, I went
to the archives for this mailing list and queried on "Jevans", also on
"differential".  The results on both are below. 

                  Sorry... NO Matches were found for query

I don't know what the lag time is between the list and the archives.

What I have seen in the last few days is a rapid escalation in direct
solicitation for your product, where none has been here before. 

> to answer questions about it.

Feel free to do just that.  Any contributions you have to make to
wu-ftpd are welcome.  Promotions, thinly disguised or blatant, of your
own commercially competing product are not.

I'm not the list mom.  I do have a long standing track record of years
with this list, as do others who have given more than I have.  I know
the culture of this list, and your commercials are new and unwelcome,
to me at least.

> a feature that someone on the list asks for, but that isn't

No, what you have done is advertise features that yours has in
response to help requests about wu-ftpd.  It isn't just that people
have asked about specific features that yours has.  The "answers" you
have posted have contained no directly helpful information to get them
going with wu-ftpd and thus are off charter. 

   -- Michael