Subject: Re: automatic processing of ftp'ed files ...

From: Dave Jevans <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 09:59:25 -0800 (PST)

>Ftp it to a different file name, then rename it to the expected file name as
>a second ftp command.  Then as soon as the file exists (under the expected

This doesn't deal with the crux of the issue, however, which 
is determining if the file is completely there before processing,
or renaming.    wu-ftpd doesn't know if the file is completely there.

Remember also that sometimes file transfers aren't successful
and you get only part of the file.  WU logs these as completed
transfers.   The challenge is to figure out if you got the whole file.
This is difficult, because the FTP protocol doesn't specify file
sizes before sending, and it has no way to ACK that the file was delivered
in its entirety.

We've been working on extensions that involve crypto signatures to verify
that files are completely delivered (even if it takes multiple resends).

If anyone has done similar work I'd love to talk.

DJ
David Jevans, President
Differential Inc.  -  Software For Extranet Business Communities
[email-masked]
(408) 864-0603
www.differential.com       

  * Try FileDrive EX: Commerce-grade FTP Server And Client Software *
>From jevans Wed Dec  3 09:55:42 1997
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Threaded (was Warez)
Cc: [email-masked]
Content-Length: 686

>Well, before multi-thread, having a stand alone version should

Yes.

>I looked into the code lately, the configuration
>files are read for every command.  For a stand-alone server,
>the configuration can be loaded into the memory at startup.

Hmmm.  I thought someone did a patch for this already?
We did this in FileDrive and it improves performance *dramatically*.
Watch out though, if the config files change, be sure
to reread them before forking.

DJ
David Jevans, President
Differential Inc.  -  Software For Extranet Business Communities
[email-masked]
(408) 864-0603
www.differential.com       

  * Try FileDrive EX: Commerce-grade FTP Server And Client Software *

---

From: Mike Hedlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 10:16:19 -0800 (PST)

> If anyone has done similar work I'd love to talk.

That is true, i couldnt think of a defacto way to figure out if a upload
was completed fully and successfully. But, you can usually beware of a few
things. One is, were there any errors? If there were read() type errors or
something similar, you can be pretty sure the file was not complete. And
ofcourse.. if it was cancled midway through. Altho this wouldnt be a
perfect fix.. id bet it would catch more than half of incomplete xfers. :)

-mike