Subject: Re: tar/gzip on the fly revisited

From: Bernt Christandl <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 08:17:43 +0100

Keith,

maybe you have another problem? If i try to sent you my mail directly,
it bounces with "Returned mail: Remote protocol error"...

so i write to the list and apologize for wasting the bandwidth:

Your problem is exactly what i had yesterday...
and i now have a running constellation, but i don't understand why...

1.  i think you have und ~ftp/bin anything you need? Either a statically
    linked version of gnu-tar and gzip  or with the appropriate libraries
    und ~ftp/lib?

2.  i've found the same problem asked and answered in a list for digital
    unix problems - about a year ago...

    There the solution was a different syntax within ftpconversions.

3.  what i have learned yesterday was that ftpaccess and ftpconversions
    have big influence onto each other, at least a "good" ftpaccess is
    necessary for a ftpconversions to be evaluated at all.

4.  then i believe (that's not yet verified) that a "wrong" line in 
    ftpconversions diables all following maybe "good" lines...

5.  So here comes, what is working for me now:

    - a static gnu-tar (1.12) and gzip (1.2.4) - both build with "gcc -static"
      in ~ftp/bin

    - ftpaccess including the lines:

      class   remote  real,guest,anonymous *
      compress        yes             local remote
      gzip            yes             local remote
      tar             yes             local remote

      and i have no idea, whether the "gzip" is useful or not...

    - and at last my ftpconversions:

 :.gz: :   :/bin/gzip -cd %s:T_REG|T_ASCII:O_UNCOMPRESS:GUNZIP
 :.z:  :   :/bin/gzip -cd %s:T_REG|T_ASCII:O_UNCOMPRESS:GUNZIP
 :.Z:  :   :/bin/gzip -cd %s:T_REG|T_ASCII:O_UNCOMPRESS:GUNZIP
 :   :  :.Z:/bin/compress -c      %s:T_REG:O_COMPRESS:COMPRESS
 :   :  :.gz:/bin/gzip -9 -c      %s:T_REG:O_COMPRESS:GZIP
 :   :   :.z:/bin/gzip -9 -c      %s:T_REG:O_COMPRESS:GZIP
 :   : :.tar:/bin/gtar    -c -f - %s:T_REG|T_DIR:O_TAR:TAR
 :   : :.tar.gz:/bin/gtar -c --use-compress-program=/bin/gzip -f - %s:T_REG|T_DIR:O_COMPRESS|O_TAR:TAR+GZIP
 :   : :.tgz:/bin/gtar -c --use-compress-program=/bin/gzip -f - %s:T_REG|T_DIR:O_COMPRESS|O_TAR:TAR+GZIP

      in the past (on my ultrix server) i had the -z switch used ,
      but had to replace that with --use...  (is this a question of
      $PATH?)

Yesterday in the evening when i left, i thought, i had tested all cases
successfully. (Local and remote users..., gzip, tar, tar+gzip, ...)

I hope you can solve your problem with these hints.

With regards,

Bernt
                                                                       
----------------------------------------------------------------------
- Bernt Christandl / Max Planck Institut - Extraterrestrische Physik -
- D-85740 Garching / Phone: +49/89/3299-3342 / Fax: +49/89/3299-3569 - 
-                    email: [email-masked]                           - 
----------------------------------------------------------------------