Subject: Personal use daemon

From: "S. M. Halloran" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 13:44:29 +0200

This should be a very simple question for the list.

I want to build an ftpd (wu-ftpd) in my home directory and then run 
it (no response to SIGHUP or at least write a handler for it, if none 
exists) and have it listen at a nonprivileged port.

(1) can this be done easily from the current build script/makefiles?

(2) is it possible to run a personal daemon and get (or hope?) the 
inetd-like super server passes the connection on to whoever is 
listening?

Thanks in advance for any/all replies.

------------
This message part that follows below is irrelevant to the purpose of 
the message, but may be of interest to those who want to know why I 
would want to run my own ftp server as a regular user.

Why is this being done or necessary?

(1) I am not root.  The administrator of the system--an NCR 3555 
running SVR4 (with BSD and Xenix "compatibility libraries")--has his 
own setup (a 'tlid' written by Wollagong [sp?]) and this forks to 
servers also provided by the software group.  The ftp transfer halts 
in the middle for reasons those of us here at the company who can at 
least read an RFC have no explanation for.  It seems to depend on the 
time of day.  I should say that what appears to be a halt in the 
system is in truth an interminable slowness:  if the timeout on the 
client is set long enough, you can see that some bytes have been 
transferred if you walk away and come back in 5 minutes.  At other 
times however, it just sits there usually until the timeout is 
exceeded (either the server's or the client's?).  The client is 
invariably a popular application (WS-FTP) running on a popular 
operating environment (win95), and has always proved reliable in the 
past.

(2) The sys admin is a know-nothing backslider who loves power 
struggles, and right now I don't want to engage struggle through the 
usual channels, although I know I would prevail in the end  (things 
don't really work here like they do in businesses that don't have 
time for and whose management can cut through the BS).  If there is a 
more rapid workaround, better to go that way.

For those interested in helping us to determine the cause for the 
halted ftp transfers (we certainly are interested and have a few 
theories), you might want to know a few more details than I have 
given here.
------------

Mitch Halloran
Research Biochemist
Duzen Laboratories Group
Ankara   TURKEY
[email-masked]