Subject: "get <foo>.gz" sends zero-length files

From: Keith Warno <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 1997 07:36:14 -0500 (EST)

Hello folks.

OK, my /etc/ftpconversions and /etc/ftpaccess are set up to allow the
transfer of gzipped and tarred files (this is the default, I think).  I
stuck a copy of gzip and tar in ~ftp/bin/ (this is under Slackware 3.4
Linux).  However, when I do "get <foo>.gz" or "get <foo>.tar" I always
wind up with a zero-length file locally.  There is something I'm missing
and it's driving me batty.  ;/  The FAQ was searched, but that didn't help
much.

The version of wu-ftpd I am running is "(Version
wu-2.4.2-academ[BETA-15](1) Tue Nov 11 20:12:26 CST 1997)".  Thanks in
advance for any help.

Keith Warno

PS -- One more thing, not related to sending compressed files... If I try
to log into the ftp server as a real user, give an incorrect passwd, then
type "ls", I get a message like:

	ftp> ls
	530 Please login with USER and PASS.
	ftp: bind: Address already in use
	ftp>

What's the "bind" line all about?  Apologies if this is already in the FAQ
and I missed it.  I'm curious if this is OS-specific or a product of the
server itself, and -- in either case -- if it's a problem or something
that can be safely disregarded.