Subject: Threaded (was Warez)

From: Dave Jevans <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 08:06:02 -0800 (PST)

Has anyone tried to implement a threaded verson of the server?
This would have much performance benefit.  However, it seems
to have many challenges as far as user IDs go (ie. setuid
an chrooting).  Also global state variables would appear
to be a real mess.   Ideas?  Progress to report?

WRT: searching the archives.
Searching the wu-ftpd list archives by user name *doesn't work*.
eg. a search for  mbrennen reveals: NO Matches were found.
However, browsing the archives shows that there are numerous
posts from him and others..... hmmmm.

DJ

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 11:34:27 -0600 (CST)

> posts from him and others..... hmmmm.

I did this exact search last night before posting my response about
'Jevans'.  A search on 'mbrennen' in the wu-ftpd mailing list archive
shows:

   567 matches found - 100 displayed

   -- Michael

---

From: Kent Landfield <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 11:54:35 -0600 (CST)

# On Wed, 3 Dec 1997, Dave Jevans wrote:
# > WRT: searching the archives.
# > Searching the wu-ftpd list archives by user name *doesn't work*.
# > eg. a search for  mbrennen reveals: NO Matches were found.
# > However, browsing the archives shows that there are numerous
# > posts from him and others..... hmmmm.
# 

Michael wrote:
# I did this exact search last night before posting my response about
# 'Jevans'.  A search on 'mbrennen' in the wu-ftpd mailing list archive
# shows:
# 
#    567 matches found - 100 displayed

I just tried it myself and it worked.  It may have been that you tried
it during the "exact time" the newly rebuilt index was being renamed
but I thought I had that covered with a "Index rebuild in progress"
condition... :-) Maybe not. I'll check again.

Please, if you run across something on the Resource Center that is strange,
out of place, missing or needed drop me a note.  I'm always looking at
ways to improve it and make it more useful.

Also remember that if you have wu-ftpd extensions you'd like to see added
leave a suggestion in the suggestion section or the Resource Center. Tracking
suggestions from there will be a lot easier than trying to 'mine' the 
mailing list archives... ;)

-- 
Kent Landfield                        Phone: 1-817-545-2502             
Email: [email-masked]             http://www.landfield.com/
Email: [email-masked]                   http://www.nfr.net/
Please send comp.sources.misc related mail to [email-masked]
Search the Usenet Hypertext FAQ Archive at http://www.faqs.org/faqs/

---

From: Mike Hedlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 10:11:45 -0800 (PST)

> to be a real mess.   Ideas?  Progress to report?

I looked through the wu code a few months ago.. with plans to thread it.
After spending a couple hours, it became apparent that it would be easier
to start from scratch. Especially if you want to maintain regular unix
type user logins, as you mentioned. Since from what ive tested, wuftpd
starts dieing at around 2k logins (not necessarily xfers in progress)..
a site with that many logins is going to be mostly anonymous. If not,
they probably have more than 1 machine doing it anyway.. and 2k per
machine is decent....  In the end i had to end up writing my own.

Besides, doing the security on it for regular user type logins wouldnt be
trivial... compared to chroot() anyway. Even though its per process, and
its not perfect.. its alot easier then keeping that state info.

-mike