Subject: INSTALL suggestion

From: Chris! <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 1997 21:49:33 -0600 (CST)

----------------------------------
E-Mail: Chris! <[email-masked]>
Date: 30-Dec-97
Time: 21:35:28

This message was sent by XFMail
----------------------------------

I'm a newcomer to all things UNIX. I recently got wu-ftpdB15 going after a
small struggle, and would like to suggest a small change to the INSTALL file to
make it easier for people who are upgrading from a different ftpd to use.

In step 4, you are instructed to make sure to modify your inetd.conf.  Modify
it how??  I finally took a close look at the output of build install to figure
out that there was, in fact, a wu.ftpd binary being quietly filed away... aha!
:)

Anyway, I suggest adding the following to the end of step 4 in the INSTALL file-

"For example, your ftp service line in /etc/inetd.conf might look like this by
default:
ftp     stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd in.ftpd in.ftpd -a -l
After your change, the line might look like this:
ftp     stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/wu.ftpd -a"

I'm embrassed to say that would have saved me about an hour if it had been in
there....

        Cheers, hope this helps someone.

                --Chris

---

From: Tatsuya Kawasaki <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 1997 11:36:36 +0900 (JST)

what is your OS?
check at http://www.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html

tatsuya

= = = = = =
電話 03-3239-0607 fax 03-3239-2609
business network telecom
http://www.giganet.net