Subject: real users being chrooted

From: Craig A Summerhill <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 1997 15:25:37 -0500 (EST)

I am having a small problem with configuration of wu-ftpd.  I am using 
version 2.41 from January 1997 on a DEC Alpha with Digital Unix.  The 
system is compiled and working properly, but I am having trouble fine 
tuning it.  I was hoping somebody might give me a pointer...

When I use the "ftpaccess" file that comes in the distribution as
"doc/examples/ftpaccess" any real user on the system can login to the
server with no problems.  However, I wanted to have several uids login
with chroot, to lock them into a specific home area.  It appears to me 
(based on what I read in Cricket Liu's book and from the sample files)
that I needed to include a "guestgroup" entry for these seven or eight 
logins.  The entries for these uids have "/./" notation in the
/etc/passwd file, and they login properly with a chroot to the directory
noted in /etc/passwd. 

But once I included a "guestgroup" for these people into the ftpaccess
file, all of the "real" users are being chrooted to their home directories
when they login to the system.  This doesn't really work for me for a 
variety of reasons.

I'm sure I have a misconfiguration.  Can somebody give me a pointer.  Do I
need to create a guestgroup entry for all the real users?
-- 

   Craig A. Summerhill, Systems Coordinator and Program Officer
   Coalition for Networked Information
   21 Dupont Circle, N.W., Washington, D.C.   20036
   Internet: [email-masked]   AT&Tnet (202) 296-5098

---

From: [email-masked] (Andy Church)
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 1997 14:03:42 EST

>when they login to the system.  This doesn't really work for me for a 

     Do the users to be chrooted have a different group from the rest of
the users?  "guestgroup" chroots everyone in the given group, whether
there's a /./ in the home directory or not.

  --Andy Church                  | If Bell Atlantic really is the heart
    [email-masked]       | of communication, then it desperately
    www.dragonfire.net/~achurch/ | needs a quadruple bypass.