Subject: Re: chroot & guest accounts

From: Didier Godefroy <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 1997 18:53:41 -0500

Michael Brennen wrote:

> Not sure, all the details have to be right.  Go over everything again,
> and make sure that /etc/ftpaccess is being read.  Followup should go
> to the wu-ftpd list.

I finished to put the needed stuff in the bin and etc dirs, all that following
the instructions of the guest-howto doc, I double checked everything and it's
still not doing the chroot.

I'm pretty sure the ftpaccess is read, because the user account that I use to
test it will not let me use the user cmd and says it can't be used from a guest
account, so that should prove that at least the status of that logon has gone
from real user to guest, but why isn't it not doing the chroot???

I have only inserted the /./ after the user's home path in the passwd file, I
want them to be able to get in at their root home dirs and go up from there to
their web space or cgi-bin dir.

I made the passwd file in the user's etc dir with the user's ID number as 100,
which is not this user's number in the system passwd file, would that change
anything?
I also made the group file with the ftpusers group with an ID of 2, which is
also not the same as the system group file...
If I understand it right, only ls is using those files anyway, and if the ID
numbers for users and groups aren't exactly the same, then I think the only
thing that should happen is that during a file listing with ls, the user and
group ownership would show up as numbers because they don't have a match in the
group and passwd file, but that shouldn't bother chroot.

--
Didier Godefroy
mailto:[email-masked]
mailto:[email-masked]
http://web.ulysium.net/

---

From: Didier Godefroy <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 1997 19:26:30 -0500

I have one more test to prove that the ftpaccess file is actually read, I have
several upload statements to prevent uploads to several system areas and I tried
to upload something when logged as the guest user, the server refused the
upload, so that proves to me that the ftpaccess file is being read...
So what could prevent the chroot?

--
Didier Godefroy
mailto:[email-masked]
mailto:[email-masked]
http://web.ulysium.net/