Subject: anon. ftp like account on a per user basis

From: Harshal Savalia <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 1997 17:22:25 +0500 (IST)

Hello,

	Is it possible to have anon. ftp like account on a per users basis.
							   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

	What I mean is the  ability  to have  multiple  anon.  ftp  like
	accounts on the system.

	For  example,  you could  have a "user1"  account  with a set of
	files below that and a "user2"  account with a different  set of
	files.

	This would be  different  than  logging on as an  existing  user
	since  when you do that you have  access  to the  entire  system
	(e.g.  doing a cd / actually  takes you to the root  directory).
	In this case, a chroot  would be done that would  limit the user
	to just the directories under the "user1" or "user2" account.

	Thanks in advance for any help.

With Regards,
Harshal
-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Harshal Savalia					email : [email-masked]
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 1997 09:21:05 -0500 (EST)

>  	Is it possible to have anon. ftp like account on a per users basis.

That is what is referred to as a guest acccount.  Here is an example
passwd entry for a guest account:

norris:MrewJRqIUWg6Y:635:400:Norris:/home/ftp/./:/dev/null

The features are:

1)  a /dev/null shell that is listed in /etc/shells yet won't allow
login.

2) a home directory that ends in '/./' to give a chrooted environment
to where you want to restrict them.

3) On my machine group 400 is 'ftponly' and ftpaccess is setup to
recognize ftponly to be of type guest.

I'm not using this feature anymore so I am a little shaky on the
details, but that is the basics.

Cheers!
Ty

-- 
Tyson D Sawyer                     Real World Interface, Inc.
Senior Systems Engineer            Robots for the Real World
[email-masked]                   http://www.rwii.com/