Subject: Netscape for MAC access issue

From: "David Hartt"<[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 1997 15:23:23 -0800

It appears that Macintosh users with Netscape are unable to establish a
socket connection with the ftp site.  The Fetch FTP client works fine from
the Mac -- it seems to be just Netscape.
Netscape works fine from Windows 95.
Mac/America Online getting the error message "This FTP site does not
support Passive Mode"

Does any one have a fix for this?

David Hartt
[email-masked]

---

From: Bob Luckin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 97 21:14:18 CST

David Hartt said :-
> Does any one have a fix for this?

Unfortunately you neglect to say what your OS is, so this _may_ not apply to
you...  However, if you're running on a Solaris 2 box, you need to make sure
that ~ftp/dev/tcp has write permissions set for the world.  This is
documented in the FAQ available at 
   http://www.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html
or via Kent Landfords's WU-FTPD Resource Center at
   http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/

Hope this helps...

Cheers, Bob
-- 
Bob Luckin  [email-masked]  "On data, coder, adapt.  FTP Ada, redo C a tad, no ?"
                         [http://www.dhc.net/~luckin/palindromes.html]