Subject: Problems Compiling wu-ftpd 2.4 Under Irix 5.3/6.2

From: "Rodney C. Marable" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 1997 13:45:00 -0500

(Whoops, sent this to the announce list by mistake)

Trying to compile wu-2.4 under Irix 6.2 using "build sgi," and the
following results (same thing happens under 5.3 as well).  I know other
 people have had this problem, but there are no solutions in the
archive.
Has anyone seen this before and if so, what was your workaround? I'll 
summarize so other people don't beat their heads in trying to get this
to compile.

Thanks!
------------------------------------------------------
[53]$ build sgi
make args are : 
make opts are : 

Linking Makefiles.

Making support library.
        cc -O -DDEBUG   -c getusershell.c
        cc -O -DDEBUG   -c fnmatch.c
        cc -O -DDEBUG   -c strcasestr.c
        cc -O -DDEBUG   -c strsep.c
        cc -O -DDEBUG   -c authuser.c
        rm -f libsupport.a
        ar cq libsupport.a getusershell.o fnmatch.o strcasestr.o
strsep.o authuser.o
        touch libsupport.a

Making ftpd.
        cc -O -DDEBUG -I.. -I../support -L../support -c ftpd.c
cfe: Warning 581: /usr/include/stdarg.h:134: Macro va_start redefined.
cfe: Warning 581: /usr/include/stdarg.h:141: Macro _VA_ALIGN redefined.
cfe: Warning 581: /usr/include/stdarg.h:147: Macro __va_stack_arg
redefined.
cfe: Warning 609: ftpd.c: 2021: The number of arguments in the macro
invocation does not match the definition
cfe: Warning 609: ftpd.c: 2072: The number of arguments in the macro
invocation does not match the definition
cfe: Warning 609: ftpd.c: 2706: The number of arguments in the macro
invocation does not match the definition
cfe: Error: ftpd.c, line 143: redeclaration of 'realpath'; previous
declaration at line 213 in file '/usr/include/stdlib.h'
  *realpath(char *pathname, char *result);
 --^
cfe: Error: ftpd.c, line 143: Incompatible type for the function
parameter
  *realpath(char *pathname, char *result);
 -----------------^
cfe: Error: ftpd.c, line 2021: Syntax Error
     (ap = ((char *)& + sizeof())) ;
 ------------------------------^
cfe: Error: ftpd.c, line 2072: Syntax Error
     (ap = ((char *)& + sizeof())) ;
 ------------------------------^
cfe: Error: ftpd.c, line 2706: Syntax Error
     (ap = ((char *)& + sizeof())) ;
 ------------------------------^
*** Error code 1 (bu21)

Making ftpcount.
        cc -O -DDEBUG -I.. -I../support -L../support -o ftpcount
ftpcount.c vers.o -lsupport
ld: FATAL 9: I/O error (vers.o): No such file or directory
*** Error code 1 (bu21)

Making ftpshut.
        cc -O -DDEBUG -I.. -I../support -L../support -o ftpshut
ftpshut.c vers.o -lsupport
ld: FATAL 9: I/O error (vers.o): No such file or directory
*** Error code 1 (bu21)

Making ckconfig.
        cc -O -DDEBUG -I.. -I../support -L../support -o ckconfig
ckconfig.c

Links to executables are in bin directory:
size: bin/ftpd: cannot open
size: bin/ftpcount: cannot open
size: bin/ftpshut: cannot open
size: bin/ftpwho: cannot open
bin/ckconfig: 

        Section              Size        Physical        Virtual
                                         Address         Address

             .interp          19         4194612         4194612        
       .MIPS.options          96         4194632         4194632        
            .reginfo          24         4194728         4194728        
            .dynamic         248         4194752         4194752        
            .liblist          20         4195000         4195000        
             .dynstr         305         4195020         4195020        
               .hash         408         4195328         4195328        
             .dynsym         576         4195736         4195736        
        .MIPS.symlib          36         4196312         4196312        
               .msym         288         4196348         4196348        
         .MIPS.stubs         100         4196636         4196636        
               .text        1408         4196736         4196736        
               .init          32         4198144         4198144        
             .rodata        1408        268439552       268439552       
                .got          68        268440960       268440960       
                .bss          12        268441028       268441028       
3560 + 1476 + 12 = 5048
Done
-- 
	   _____________________________________________	
	   rodney c. marable	   firefly network inc. 
	   [email-masked]	   1 broadway, 6th floor
	   617.528.1917		   cambridge, ma 02142