Subject: Re: Virtual FTP with only one IP?

From: Dave Jevans <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 1997 12:46:27 -0800 (PST)

>Web clients are an industry controlled product. They are constantly 
>changing and coming out with new features, and people accept the fact 
>that they need to upgrade their browser every few months. FTP clients, 
>however, have remained strictly rfc based. I have been using the same ftp 
>client for the past few years, the one that is stock shipped with my 
client for the past few years, the one that is stock shipped with my 

>feesable it would be to try and get the world to accept new ftp 
>standards, you would probably need to release a new RFC for this, and 
>then make a deal with microsoft to force everyone to use this new ftp 

The other alternative is to support the nacent FTP software market.
Differential is trying to move the FTP standard forward with capabilities
like enhanced reliability, mirroring, security, etc.  We deliver these
in the form of software features, but the protocol enhancements are open.
Of course going through the RFC process is a time killer that we haven't
been able to finish.

There are certainly commercial FTP clients like ws_ftp.  And there's
the FileDrive FTp servers, based somewhat on wu-ftpd.   www.filedrive.com

The only way to drive the ftp standard forward in the same way as
the Web standard is for companies to ship software to lots of people!  :-)

IMHO.

DJ
David Jevans, President
Differential Inc.  -  Software For Extranet Business Communities
[email-masked]
(408) 864-0603
www.differential.com       

  * Try FileDrive EX: Commerce-grade FTP Server And Client Software *
>From jevans Wed Dec  3 09:55:42 1997
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Threaded (was Warez)
Cc: [email-masked]
Content-Length: 686

>Well, before multi-thread, having a stand alone version should

Yes.

>I looked into the code lately, the configuration
>files are read for every command.  For a stand-alone server,
>the configuration can be loaded into the memory at startup.

Hmmm.  I thought someone did a patch for this already?
We did this in FileDrive and it improves performance *dramatically*.
Watch out though, if the config files change, be sure
to reread them before forking.

DJ
David Jevans, President
Differential Inc.  -  Software For Extranet Business Communities
[email-masked]
(408) 864-0603
www.differential.com       

  * Try FileDrive EX: Commerce-grade FTP Server And Client Software *