Subject: trouble setting up wu ftp daemon

From: Matt Wetzel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 10:26:39 -0800 (PST)

I hope this is the right place for questions like this, if not, i would
appreciate it if you could point me in the right direction.

I'm trying to install the washington university ftp daemon on a sunsparc
10 under solaris 2.5 for an anonymous ftp site. Because of disk space
limitation, I'm running into some trouble getting it properly installed. 
The ftp site wants to be in /var/spool/ftp.  However, there is not enough
room for it in the /var partition.  I tried to mount the /var/spool/ftp
directory on a separate partition.  When i do this the anonymous ftp site
can not read any directory info or file info.  It gives the following
error: 

****
230 Guest login ok, access restrictions apply.
ftp> ls
200 PORT command successful.
425 Can't create data socket (0.0.0.0,20): Bad file number.
ftp> 
****

The ftp site still works for people who log in with their login names,
just not anonymous users. 

It also works correctly if i install it in the /var partition, but there
isn't enough room for our public ftp files.  Does anyone know how to get
around or fix this problem???? 

matt wetzel
[email-masked]
O-

---

From: "Gregory A. Parmer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 14:55:38 -0600 (CST)

Sounds an awful lot like the static vs dynamic "ls" problem
described in the FAQ.  See "http://www.landfield.com"
  
It'll describe how to fix the problem. BTW--Be sure to
get the latest version (beta15).

-greg