Subject: slow login problems, and mailing list

From: iqbal <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 1997 14:47:38 +0000

Hi

I seem to be havinng problems with the mailing list. I can see my
messages on the list, but I used to get my message sent back to me also,
but these days I just receive everyone else questions/answers. So I have
re-registered under aslightly diffrent ID.

As to my problem

well theres 3 actually.

1.) When users create several subdirs , and they upload to say

~/iqbal/a/b/c the c subdirectory there permissions are not those in the
ftpaccess file. This problem was solved by alexey who mentioned that the
code in wu-ftp Beta[13] had been altered (for some reason).

2.) The second problem ws with usersname longer than 8 chracters.
wu-2.6[6] worked fine with long usernames, but beta[13] refuses to
recognise these long usersnames, anyone got any ideas

3.) I have about 1500 hundred users in the ftpaccess file. However
certain ftp packages such as wsftp are having problems logging in,
because of the long wait in checking the username/password. I have used
the bigpasswd patch , which worked fine for a few months, but since then
my users have gone through the roof. I have been told that its
effeicient to just [place the numeric uid/gid in the ftpaccess file,
this speeds up the process, but i dont know how to get wu-ftpd to read
these instead of the actual user/group.

Does anyone have a fix for this out there, or have similar problems.

Iqbal