Subject: Re: getting <foobar>.gz files

From: Dave Jevans <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 19:36:25 -0800 (PST)

Keith

>> # Anyone know why anonymous users can't tar and gzip files on the fly with

You do have the tar and gzip programs installed in the ~ftp/bin
directory as well as in your normal system directory, right?

Anonymous users are chrooted into ~ftp.  So those programs must reside
in the ~ftp/bin dir.

dj

---

From: [email-masked] (William L. Sebok)
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 23:39:46 -0500 (EST)

What operating system are you running (I forgot if you mentioned it)?  We are
running Solaris 2.5.  I once had this problem and it stumped me for a while.
The solution was that a recent change in gnu tar required that I needed to add
yet another shared library to usr/lib in the chrooted area.  I think it might
have been libintl.so.  If you use the regular system tar (/usr/sbin/tar) it
also requires libintl.so.  You should try running
"chroot your_anon_area  command_which_fails" and see what if any error messages
you get.

Bill Sebok      Computer Software Manager, Univ. of Maryland, Astronomy
	Internet: [email-masked]	URL: http://www.astro.umd.edu/~wls/