Subject: Re: Feature Request (passive mode port range)

From: Michael Douglass <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 09:30:19 -0600

On Mon, Nov 17, 1997 at 12:23:03PM -0500, [email-masked] said:

> There is a patch available via the wuftp patch site that has exactly
> what you are looking for. I have attached it below. I am using it now
> with a change (not included) where I read the port numbers from the
> ftpaccess file.

That would be the best way to handle it (reading from ftpaccess file, or
some other config file).  Can we get this included in the actual source
tree?

-- 
Michael Douglass
Texas Networking, Inc.

 "The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there."
      L. P. Hartley, British author. The Go-Between, Prologue (1953).

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 1997 13:56:36 -0500 (EST)

>  some other config file).  Can we get this included in the actual source

The passive mode patches I have seen either suffered from not dealing
with UID's such that you could use "trusted" ports (an advantage to know
that only passive ftp will use a range of ports) or they had byte order
problems and might hunt forever for a free port within the allowed
range.

I have a version that seems to work very well that will allow you to
either disable passive mode and return an error that will cause most
clients (Netscape, etc.) to revert to non-PASV or to limit the range of
ports it will use.  I still need to define the parameters with
ftpaccess instead of hard coded but that should be easy.

At the moment I am working with beta15 but will update shortly.  

If there is interest in using my work I will formalize it.  If it is
likely that I am wasting my time and some other solution will be used
instead I will just use what I have for now.

Regardless of it being work I derived from other patches or someone
elses work, PASV disable and port range limiting should be accessable
through ftpaccess.

Cheers!
Ty

-- 
Tyson D Sawyer                     Real World Interface, Inc.
Senior Systems Engineer            Robots for the Real World
[email-masked]                   http://www.rwii.com/