Subject: getting <foobar>.gz files

From: Keith Warno <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 17:01:38 -0500 (EST)

Hello folks.

	I have ftpconversions and ftpaccess set up to allow for the
tarring and gzipping of files (this is the default, I believe).  However,
every time someone tries to get <foobar>.gz or <foobar>.tar they always
wind up with a zero-length file.  Has anyone else experienced this and/or
know the solution to this problem?  The version of wu-ftpd being run is
wu-2.4.2-academ[BETA-15].  Thank you.

				Keith Warno
				CS undergraduate @ Brooklyn Polytechnic U.

-----
Please send all personal replies to [email-masked].
Otherwise, the mail you send may be returned to you.

---

From: Joe Gross <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 16:18:11 -0600

> wu-2.4.2-academ[BETA-15].  Thank you.

make sure you have a copy of gzip in ~ftp/bin

--
Joe Gross        |  CCSO Unix Systems Engineer  |  ----  __o
[email-masked]  |  University of Illinois UC   |  --- _`\<,_
                 |  finger for pgp public key   |  -- (_)/ (_)

---

From: Keith Warno <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 17:58:28 -0500 (EST)

> make sure you have a copy of gzip in ~ftp/bin

Ya I stuck a copy of gzip and tar in ~ftp/bin with mode 111.  This is why
I am rather confused.  ;)  Perhaps the sysntax in my ftpconversions file
is incorrect?  Maybe someone can send me a copy of ftpconversions that is
known to work???  Thanks.

						Keith Warno
-----

---

From: Keith Warno <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 19:55:59 -0500 (EST)

OK, I just realized now that real ftp users can get <yadda>.gz and
<yadda>.tar files with no problem.  However, anonymous users cannot get
<yadda>.gz and <yadda>.tar files.  They always get zero-length files.  In
my ftpaccess file I have the lines:

	compress yes *
	tar yes *

Anyone know why anonymous users can't tar and gzip files on the fly with
wu-ftpd 2.4.2-[BETA 15]?  Thanks.

Keith Warno
-----