Subject: beta-16 dies with single parm.

From: Nikos Mouat <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 1997 08:14:49 -0800 (PST)

Hi,
   I'm not sure if this is a site specific thing, but running beta-16 on
SunOS 4.1.4-JL (Japanese version) if I use a single argument to ftpd with
no options (ie: -a) the server dies with the only clue being:

Dec 29 08:11:21 fall ftpd[7469]: exiting on signal 11

if I do '-a -v' everything works fine, if I do '-v' it dies, and if I do
'-u 002' it works fine.. 

anyone else seen this? 

nm

---

From: [email-masked] (Andreas Kerber)
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 97 18:19:35 CET

Nikos Mouat wrote on 29.12.1997

> no options (ie: -a) the server dies with the only clue being:

The same happens here under Linux 2.0.32. Beta15 worked fine.

Andreas

---

From: Gregory A Lundberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 1997 13:18:48 -0500 (EST)

> The same happens here under Linux 2.0.32. Beta15 worked fine.

I've not tested this but, on code-reading, I'm suspicious of the set proc
title code.  Quite a bit of patching was made in this area between B15 and
B16, and it appears to be the only area changed which deals with the
command-line arguments.  You might try re-testing after changing SPT_TYPE
from SPT_REUSEARGV to SPT_NONE.  This _should_ disable the feature.  If it
works, we've at least narrowed down the problem.

----

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              email: [email-masked] [205.133.13.8]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    voice: +1 (937) 299-7653