Subject: Tr: Solaris 2.5.1 anonymous setup considerations

From: "Arnaud Ruch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 1997 12:05:17 +0100

Sorry, I forgot one question :

- are netconfig and nsswitch.conf required in etc with a static ls and no
use of NIS ?

Thx

A. Ruch

-----Message d'origine-----
De : Arnaud Ruch <[email-masked]>
À : [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
Date : jeudi 4 décembre 1997 12:01
Objet : Solaris 2.5.1 anonymous setup considerations

>Hi everybody,
>
>I am setting up an anonymous  FTP server for solaris 2.5.1
>(wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-15) and since different sources of information give
>different and sometimes contradictory pieces of advice, I would like to ask
>you a few questions :
>
>- the server seems to work fine with only /dev/tcp, but I've read that
>/dev/ticotsord, /dev/udp and /dev/zero are also required. Can someone tell
>me what for ? Note that I'm using a statically linked ls, if that matters.
>- should the device(s) have permissions 666 or 644 (they are owned by root)
>?
>
>- NO upload is allowed on this server. In this case, does the user "ftp"
>have to own any file in the server directory tree ? (it seems to work fine
>without).
>
>- In this case (no anonymous upload), is it worth considering putting the
>FTP server itself in a chrooted environment as it is suggested in the
>Anonymous FTP FAQ ? What extra security would it provide ? Note that there
>is no binary in the server directory tree apart from "ls".
>
>Last question : would it make a difference on Solaris 2.6 ?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Arnaud Ruch
>[email-masked]
>
>