Subject: requesting help

From: Jesse Schachter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 1997 13:25:24 -0500 (EST)

I administrate about 20 unix systems, most running solaris. Whenever I 
setup a new machine, I usually just copy over the wu-ftpd binaries and 
configuration files, and everything works fine. Until we got this one 
machine.

I copied over all of the files like I usually do, but on this machine, 
when I went to ftp in to test it, as soon as I type in my username, my 
ftp client gives me 421 Service not available, remote server has closed 
connection.

I checked /etc/shells and everything was in order there. My shell matched 
a shell in there. I checked all of the config files, and everything 
appeared to be in order. I then downloaded the source code for wu-ftpd 
from wuarchive, compiled and installed it. Same thing. 

After reading through several faq's and faq's on wu-ftp with solaris, I 
made necessary changes to inetd.conf and syslog.conf and turned on 
debugging. The syslog tells me:
ftpd[14241]: exiting on signal 11

and nothing else. I tried telnetting into the server on the ftp port. It 
connects and gives me the ftp welcome thing. I type:
user jesse
and the telnet connection is immediately closed with no error messages. 

I tried ftp'ing in as anonymous ftp, and this lets me in fine. I set up 
this server exactly the same as all of the other servers. There is 
physicaly no difference in the ftp setup. The config files are identical 
to other working systems. The operating system and architecture are also 
the same as other servers. If anyone can offer some advice on how I can 
fix this, please do!

Thanks.

-/-\-/-\-/-\-/-\-/-\-/-\-/-\-/-\-/-\-/-\-/-\-/-\-/-\-/-\-/-\-/-\-/-\-/-\-
      Jesse Schachter                -=+=- Work   - (203) 619-0800
      [email-masked]            -=+=- Direct - (203) 619-0822
        MicroNet System Administration/Unix Software Engineering
           "I KNOW I'm right. And if I'm not, I'm STILL right, 
                     because I'm the *ADMINISTRATOR*."
-\-/-\-/-\-/-\-/-\-/-\-/-\-/-\-/-\-/-\-/-\-/-\-/-\-/-\-/-\-/-\-/-\-/-\-/-

---

From: [email-masked] (Josef Siemes)
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 1997 17:57:46 +0100 (NFT)

> ftpd[14241]: exiting on signal 11

Is this machine also running solaris? Which version? On which version
was it compiled? 

Signal 11 is a segmentation fault. If you get this randomly on software 
that usually runs without a tweak, it may be some hardware problem.
E.g. if on linux a recompile of the kernel crashes with signal 11 at random
stages, it's usually some flaky memory. 

Regards,

Josef Siemes,
[email-masked]