Subject: Re: Guest FTP

From: Ralf Dieterle <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 23:00:58 +0100

Hello Brad,

At 15:07 20.11.97 -0600, you wrote:
>Hi, my name is Brad Nelson and I am running a Linux system with Apache as
>my web server.  I downloaded your file on Guest Howto, and I have set it up
>completely. I have only one problem. When I connect to it using a ftp
>program, it connects fine without a problem but I cannot view what is in
>the directory.. It is like the ls command is not sending the directory
>listing.  I am not sure that ls is "statically linked" or not.. Could you
>please tell me how to set up my bin and my 
> lib directories again.. I don't know what you mean by "static link".
>

you need to have the following files in the /lib directory of your guest path

-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     bin         20859 Nov 14 10:48 ld-linux.so.1*
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     bin         20859 Nov 14 10:48 ld-linux.so.1.7.14*
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     bin         24580 Nov 14 10:48 ld.so*
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     bin        558615 Nov 13 00:50 libc.so.5*

Then it should work!

>Thank You!
>Brad Nelson ([email-masked]
>
Greetings

Ralf
-----------------------------------------------
If at first you don't succeed, redefine success
   [email-masked]
   [email-masked]
-----------------------------------------------

---

From: Jon Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 00:07:29 -0500 (EST)

> -r-xr-xr-x   1 root     bin        558615 Nov 13 00:50 libc.so.5*

I was trying to setup some virtual ftp sites on a RH 4.2 box just
recently, and just having ld and libc was not enough.  I actually had to
play games with ldconfig and chroot to create a etc/ld.so.cache before ls
would work. This seems a major PITA...why not just use staticly linked ls
and friends? 

------------------------------------------------------------------
 Jon Lewis <[email-masked]>  |  Unsolicited commercial e-mail will
 Network Administrator       |  be proof-read for $199/message.
 Florida Digital Turnpike    |  
______http://inorganic5.fdt.net/~jlewis/pgp for PGP public key____