Subject: xferstats v1.15

From: Phil Schwan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 17:32:31 -0500 (EST)

Hurrah hurrah, I'm finally finished with xferstats 1.15.  A rundown of
what's new, what's fixed, and what's planned:

Fixed in version 1.15:

* Variable sizes increased to handle the biggest of logfiles
* Several miscellaneous bugs fixed that only reared their heads on
  gigantic logfiles (and logs with entries older than 02/01/97)
* Fixed a typo that only affected debug output, but in a big way
* Using an internal replacement for getopt, to avoid some (namely Solaris)
  compatibility issues
* Fixed dotted quad recognition such that they are now correctly
  identified as unresolved.

New in version 1.15:

* Added the "Most Downloaded Files" section
* Added a corresponding parameter for specifying its output
* Added a skillion more configurable options (namely default settings) to
  config.h
* Added the highly-requested HTML output option
* Added GIF graphs to go along with the HTML output
* Domain totals are now sorted (by bytes transferred)
* Added the ability to limit the number of lines of output (on
  daily, directory, and domain sections) and added corresponding config.h
  entries for their defaults
* It accepts logfiles from stdin -- just add a single hyphen anywhere on
  the command line
* Added ncftpd logfile support

Planned for the next version:

* Jael (a small, nice webserver: http://linux.mit.edu/jael) and ftp-gw
  support.  Possibly support for other web/ftp servers, drop me a note if
  you want me to include others.
* More graphs.  If you can think of a way to work some more graphs in, let
  me know.  I don't really see, however, any other sections that really
  lend themselves to graphical output (other than hourly, of course)
* Some more adherance to the GNU coding standards.  Namely, less reliance
  on ANSI C, switching to getopt_long, variable sizes, blah blah blah.
  Some of this will be visible in the way xferstats processes command line
  arguments, some of it won't be

All versions of xferstats (except 1.10 which was unstable and never really
released) are available at ftp://fuck.off.net/xferstats

Drop me a note at [email-masked] if you have a comment, suggestion,
request, gripe, bug, or whatever.

Phil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
'The ultimate seal on any software product is not any sort of kite mark or
standards conformance certificate, it's that label that says, "Destruction
tested by Alan Cox.... Survived."' -- Clive Dolphin (3Com PDD)