Subject: guestonly is not working

From: Ming Lu <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 1997 13:17:41 -0500 (EST)

Hi all gurus:

I am trying to set up guestonly accounts based on the FAQ and guest-howto,
but so far anonymous account works great, but not guestonly account.

The anonymous ftp server is under /home/ftp, with all of files neccessary
for solaris2.5.1...
The guestonly accounts is under /home/web, say /home/web/guest1 and I
linked all of neccessary files to /home/ftp so I don't have copy all of
these file for every guest user:

drwxr-xr-x   3 root     other        512 Nov  1 03:59 ..
-rw-r--r--   1 root     other          0 Nov  1 04:30 .forward
-rw-r--r--   1 root     other          0 Nov  1 04:30 .rhosts
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     other         13 Nov  1 20:47 bin -> ../../ftp/bin
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     other         13 Nov  1 20:48 dev -> ../../ftp/dev
dr--r--r--   2 root     other        512 Nov  1 04:21 etc
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     other         13 Nov  1 20:48 usr -> ../../ftp/usr

BUT IT DOESN'T WORK, I still have the same problem:

Name (200.156.50.10:mlu): testuser
331 Password required for testuser.
Password:
230 User testuser logged in.  Access restrictions apply.
ftp> ls -al
200 PORT command successful.
425 Can't create data socket (0.0.0.0,20): No such file or directory.
ftp> 

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

_ming

---

From: Thomas Fou <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 1997 15:41:17 -0800 (PST)

> 425 Can't create data socket (0.0.0.0,20): No such file or directory.

Hello Ming,

That doesn't sound like a problem with your guest configuration.  It
sounds like a problem with the dynamically-linked ls you have in ~ftp/bin

You might want to check for the existences of the devices in ~ftp/dev/zero
and ~ftp/dev/zero.  If they are not there, use mknod to make them.  Also,
make sure you have all the correct libraries in your ~ftp/lib or
~ftp/usr/lib directory.

I hope that helps.

Regards,

_________________________________________________________________
Thomas Fou ([email-masked])
System Administrator			UC Riverside
Office: (909) 787-3954			Vis. & Intel. Systems Lab
Fax:    (909) 787-3188			Bourns Hall, B232

---

From: Ming Lu <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 1997 22:30:59 -0500 (EST)

Thanks Thomas. Here is the contents in /home/ftp/dev:

# ls -al
total 4
dr-xr-xr-x   2 root     other        512 Oct 30 02:52 .
drwxrwxrwx   7 root     other        512 Oct 30 04:19 ..
crw-rw-rw-   1 root     other     11, 42 Oct 30 02:52 tcp
crw-rw-rw-   1 root     other    105,  1 Oct 30 02:52 ticotsord
crw-rw-rw-   1 root     other     11, 41 Oct 30 02:52 udp
crw-rw-rw-   1 root     other     13, 12 Oct 30 02:52 zero

Here is from /home/ftp/usr/lib:

# ls -al
total 3266
dr-xr-xr-x   2 root     other       1024 Oct 30 02:52 .
dr-xr-xr-x   5 root     other        512 Nov  1 18:30 ..
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     other      24576 Oct 30 02:52 ld.so
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     other     137160 Oct 30 02:52 ld.so.1
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     other         11 Oct 30 02:52 libc.so ->
./libc.so.1
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     other     664760 Oct 30 02:52 libc.so.1
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     other         12 Oct 30 02:52 libdl.so ->
./libdl.so.1
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     other       2564 Oct 30 02:52 libdl.so.1
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     other         14 Oct 30 02:52 libintl.so ->
./libintl.so.1
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     other      15720 Oct 30 02:52 libintl.so.1
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     other         13 Oct 30 02:52 libnsl.so ->
./libnsl.so.1
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     other     571472 Oct 30 02:52 libnsl.so.1
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     other         16 Oct 30 02:52 libsocket.so ->
./libsocket.so.1
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     other      68780 Oct 30 02:52 libsocket.so.1
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     other         11 Oct 30 02:52 libw.so ->
./libw.so.1
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     other      39932 Oct 30 02:52 libw.so.1
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     other         14 Oct 30 02:52 nss_dns.so ->
./nss_dns.so.1
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     other       9324 Oct 30 02:52 nss_dns.so.1
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     other         16 Oct 30 02:52 nss_files.so ->
./nss_files.so.1
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     other      21144 Oct 30 02:52 nss_files.so.1
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     other         14 Oct 30 02:52 nss_nis.so ->
./nss_nis.so.1
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     other      24404 Oct 30 02:52 nss_nis.so.1
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     other         18 Oct 30 02:52 nss_nisplus.so ->
./nss_nisplus.so.1
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     other      28844 Oct 30 02:52 nss_nisplus.so.1
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     other         14 Oct 30 02:52 straddr.so ->
./straddr.so.2
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     other       9312 Oct 30 02:52 straddr.so.2

I just linked /home/web/testuser/dev to /home/ftp/dev,
/home/web/testuser/usr/lib to /home/ftp/usr/lib.

I read through the man page of ftpd (solaris 2.5.1), and did not see
I did anything wrong...Did I miss something?

Best Regards

_ming

On Sat, 1 Nov 1997, Thomas Fou wrote:

->
->On Sat, 1 Nov 1997, Ming Lu wrote:
->
->> I am trying to set up guestonly accounts based on the FAQ and guest-howto,
->> but so far anonymous account works great, but not guestonly account.
->> 
->> BUT IT DOESN'T WORK, I still have the same problem:
->> 
->> Name (200.156.50.10:mlu): testuser
->> 331 Password required for testuser.
->> Password:
->> 230 User testuser logged in.  Access restrictions apply.
->> ftp> ls -al
->> 200 PORT command successful.
->> 425 Can't create data socket (0.0.0.0,20): No such file or directory.
->> ftp> 
->
->Hello Ming,
->
->That doesn't sound like a problem with your guest configuration.  It
->sounds like a problem with the dynamically-linked ls you have in ~ftp/bin
->
->You might want to check for the existences of the devices in ~ftp/dev/zero
->and ~ftp/dev/zero.  If they are not there, use mknod to make them.  Also,
->make sure you have all the correct libraries in your ~ftp/lib or
->~ftp/usr/lib directory.
->
->I hope that helps.
->
->Regards,
->
->_________________________________________________________________
->Thomas Fou ([email-masked])
->System Administrator			UC Riverside
->Office: (909) 787-3954			Vis. & Intel. Systems Lab
->Fax:    (909) 787-3188			Bourns Hall, B232
->