Subject: Cisco traffic shaping Virtual FTP sites

From: Laszlo Vecsey <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 15:19:55 -0500 (EST)

I'm running IOS 11.2(9) on a Cisco 2511 router, and I set up some traffic
shaping rules for an IP that is used as a Virtual FTP server. 

I found that the Virtual FTP address was not being traffic shaped during
file transfers, instead, I could only restrict the transfer to the Virtual
FTP site if I traffic shaped the real, physical (eth0) IP of the server. 

Is this because the user/login, and other ftp commands are sent over the
Virtual FTP, but the file transfer is actually sent through the real IP?
Will this change in a future release, or is there a patch available, or
any tips on what needs to be done in the src? 

- lv

---

From: "T's Mailing Lists" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 12:26:52 +0000 (GMT)

> any tips on what needs to be done in the src? 

I'm no expert.
I think that ftp chooses random ports in a certain range to open
data-channels to transimt the actual data and has one know port to do the
coordination (i.e. commands, replies etc). Is it maybe that your cisco
can't handle that, that means doesn't know about the randomly choosen
data-channels? It could be the same problem as with
masquerading/firewalling etc...

*
t

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                   Tomas Pospisek's mailing-lists mailbox   
           www.SPIN.ch - Internet Services in Graubuenden/Switzerland
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tom: So far, der winter kommt, ich schaff mir glaub ich noch ein paar
Tom: Zyxel traffos an...
Roli: Aber genug davon nehmen. Wenn die Dinger kapput gehen werden sie 
Roli: nicht mehr warm.