Subject: Who's running Beta-15?

From: [email-masked] (Don Cox)
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 10:26:34 -0500

Does anyone know of any large or small corporations that are running Beta-15
on their external ftp server? I maintain the ftp machine for Eastman Kodak,
and we are currently at Version wu-2.4(10). Due to numerous reasons, we have
had to upgrade to Version wu-2.4.2-academ[BETA-15] on an HP running 10.20.
When management sees the word "Beta" in the Version number, they tend to get
nervous. I would like to be able to go to my management and tell them "It must
secure, because xxxxx and yyyyy are running Beta-15!" 

Or, is there such a thing as a CERT advisory recommending Beta-15?

Any help would be (as always) greatly appreciated! 

 Don Cox   mailto:[email-masked]   <><
 Phone: (716) 588-4415, KMX: 258-4415
 Pager: (800) SKY-8888, PIN 1989961
 FAX:   (716) 722-3885
 Webpage: http://www.kodak.com

---

From: Nikos Mouat <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 08:12:49 -0800 (PST)

Hi,
   I ran into the same thing with users complaining about a Beta.. since
the academ version is alot less buggy than running the old wuftpd 2.4 I
just take the Beta out of the version string, and all of a sudden everyone
is happy:

220 www1.ixa.net FTP server (Version Academ-15(1) Sat Sep 13 12:43:19 PDT
1997) 
220 ftp.sea.ixa.net FTP server (Version WinNT:5.2-ixa[from Academ 15](2)
Fri Sep  12 10:21:28 PDT 1997) ready.

You can see my made up version numbers which are used for various reasons,
but I just reference Academ-15 as the master version..  no complaints yet
:)

nm