Subject: stale processes

From: Michael Douglass <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 1997 22:44:59 -0600

It appears that I get a couple 'stale' processes every day.  Here is a
stack-trace on one of the processes:

22449:  wu.ftpd -a -u 027
 ef6385e8 read     (8, efffe880, 400)
 ef6385e8 _libc_read (8, efffe880, 400, 49350, ef6a227c, 18a28) + 8
 00018a28 receive_data (45058, 45048, 2bf48, 2bc00, effff528, ff00) + b8
 00017a64 store    (49350, 2eca8, 0, 2d400, 14, 7e) + 58c
 0001e800 yyparse  (0, 148a0, 43bdc, 40c20, 40c00, 0) + 10fc
 000148a0 main     (4, effffc04, effffc18, 44214, 0, 0) + ca4
 00013b5c _start   (0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0) + 5c

Is there a reason that there are no timeouts set in receive_data?  I'd
program them in myself, but I figured I'd find out if there is a reason
why there are no timeouts to date.  If, at the very least, setting
SO_KEEPALIVE on the socket might help keep this from happening...

Your thoughts?

-- 
Michael Douglass
Texas Networking, Inc.

 "The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there."
      L. P. Hartley, British author. The Go-Between, Prologue (1953).