Subject: Setting up guest account Solaris 2.5.1 & wu-ftpd 2.4

From: "B.DiMambro" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 1997 18:07:09 -0800 (PST)

Hi all, I am presently setting up an anonymous and restricted user ftp server. I 
am running Solaris 2.5.1 on a SS5 and have installed the pre-compiled version of 
2.4 that is available on the Sun Free Software site. The pkgadd worked without a 
hitch and I modified the entry in /etc/inetd.conf as follows:

ftp  stream  tcp  nowait  root /opt/WUftpd/etc/ftpd	ftpd -d

This is how it was suggested in the FAQ in the Sun Site. It appears that this 
version has the ftpaccess file enabled without using the -a. I also rebooted the 
system.

I built an anonymous ftp dir tree and user using the procedure and script from 
the in.ftpd man page. 

I then created a user (guest user, I want to restrice access) called bubba, and 
it entries are like so:

bubba:x:1001:15:Bubba:/export/bubba/./:/etc/ftp_only

group looks like this:

ftpguest::15:bubba

/etc/shells looks like this:

/usr/bin/rksh
/usr/bin/sh
/etc/ftp-only
/etc/ftponly
/etc/ftp_only

/opt/WUftpd/etc/ftpaccess looks like this:

class   all     real,guest,anonymous    *
guestgroup      ftpguest

I wanted to keep it simple to get it working 1st, then add all the bells and 
whistles.

The /etc/shadow file has a valid password.

I built the restricted dir tree for bubba (the guest account) using the same 
script I used for the anonymous user but had it build from the bubba user 
instead of the ftp user. The tree was built under /export/bubba and has the 
following permissions:

# ls -l /export

drwxrwxrwx	6	bubba	other	512	Nov  3	14:04 bubba

# ls -l /export/bubba

total 10
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     other          7 Nov  3 14:03 bin -> usr/bin
dr-xr-xr-x   2 root     other        512 Nov  3 14:04 dev
dr-xr-xr-x   2 root     other        512 Nov  3 14:04 etc
drwxrwxrwx   2 bubba    other        512 Nov  3 14:04 pub
drwxr-xr-x   5 root     other        512 Nov  3 14:04 usr

Here is what happens:
If I ftp into the system as user anonymous, all works great!!!!

If I try and ftp in as a real user, any real user, I get permission denied 
errors when I enter the user ID and get no access.

If I ftp in as bubba, I get permission denied as well.

Any suggestions would be greately appreciated.

Thanks
Brian D.

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 1997 20:17:16 -0600 (CST)

You should strongly consider upgrading to beta 15 version for bug and
security fixes.  The guest howto and faq will help answer problems.

   -- Michael

> hitch and I modified the entry in /etc/inetd.conf as follows:

This is the location for the latest wu-ftpd.  You can't see the
directory contents, but get the file anyway.  It's there.

ftp://ftp.academ.com/pub/wu-ftpd/private/wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-15.tar.Z

wu-ftpd FAQ:  http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html
              OR
              send mail to [email-masked]
              with a subject line: send faq

guest howto:  ftp://ftp.fni.com/pub/wu-ftpd/guest-howto
              OR
              send mail to "[email-masked]"
              (immediate autoresponder; subject does not matter)

wu-ftpd Resource Center:  http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/
wu-ftpd list archive:     http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/mail-archive/

There are additional security references in the above docs.