Subject: Re: Solaris crashing...

From: Wilhelm Mueller <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 1997 10:51:45 +0100 (MET)

On Wed, 1997-10-29 13:10:04 -0800, <[email-masked]>
Skye Merlin Poier felt compelled to utter:

 > Hello!
 > 
 > Having a bizarre problem with wu-ftpd under Solaris 2.5.1 - I modified the
 > pathnames.h to suit my needs and did a 'build sol' and copied the binaries

 > [...]

 > I can connect fine, transfer files, but as soon as I close the session the
 > server reboots!  Testing with the exact same configuration, binaries, inetd
 > config on a Solaris 2.6 box, works fine, no crash.

There is a known problem with the Solaris kernel up to 2.5.1 if you
use file locking on an NFS mounted file system in a chroot()ed
environment and some network devices are missing in the .../dev of the
chroot()ed file tree.  (Solaris Bug Id 1248041--quite a lot of
preconditions for the bug to show up, but it does show up quite
often because of the wide-spread use of wu-ftpd)

It has been solved in 2.6 (probably because they did a complete
rewrite of their networking code, anyhow).

To circumvent the problem you just need to include this device in the
dev subdirectory of the chroot() destination:

crw-rw-rw-   1 root     root     105,  2 Feb 21  1997 ticlts

(Protection and major/minor numbers copied from system's /dev, check
them on your system.)

 -- Wilhelm

Maybe that should be added to the guest setup FAQ

--

  ***************************************************
   Der Senator für Bau, Verkehr und Stadtentwicklung
   Referat 43            (Dienststelle Schlachte 32)
   Wilhelm Müller             Tel: +49-421-361-10629
   Ansgaritorstraße 2         Fax: +49-421-361-2295
   D-28195 Bremen, Germany

   Bits KeyID    Fingerprint
   2048 C2F0A2D1 B1452644 DEBB647F 94AA3DA9 01608E0A
   1024 9548B531 AE9AD94C 978ABC3F 4B25B52B 1E752137
    512 48B324ED 885C3131 DDF53740 DB7F9421 2A5431EE