Subject: wu-ftpd not disconnecting inactive transfers on fr

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 1997 13:45:24 -0500

Hello everyone.
I am having a bit of a problem with my wu-ftpd 2.4.2-beta-15 server.  I
am running on a freebsd 2.2.5-release box.  Every time a user ftps into
their home directory, if for some reason they get disconnected on their
end, IE, they receive an error message saying the upload could not be
completed, they continue the upload by logging back into the server and
doing it again.  Now, here is the problem.  Instead of logging out the
inactive transfer after 15 minutes as the man page suggests, that
session stays on-line.  I woke up this morning to find 20 such processes
still running on my system from 12 hours ago!  In fact at one point, the
client ended up reaching the current limit I had set for all classes in
the ftpaccess file.
Here is the worst part.  When I ftp large files from my pc to the
server for testing purposes, the transfer is completed without a hitch.
What I am saying is, I have been unable to reproduce his problem.  I
have even tried disabling tcp extentions on the freebsd machine, in case
his box just didn't like something with tcp extentions.  I have never
seen this problem before, and it could be I am missing something
entirely.  If so, could someone kindly point me in the right direction?
I am reading all kinds of man pages and faqs, but I feel like I am just
turning circles right now.  I suppose the next thing I can do if nobody
has seen this problem before, is turn on debugging, and hope for some
kind of clue there.
Thanks for any assistance.
Jeremy

---

From: David Greenman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 07:20:26 -0800

>has seen this problem before, is turn on debugging, and hope for some

   Technically, the ftp session isn't "idle" when it is stalled uploading,
and that is the reason why it doesn't time out. It's possible to fix this
in the code by creating a special timer alarm/watchdog, but as far as I
know, noone has done this.

-DG

David Greenman
Core-team/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project

---

From: Jon Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 22:01:38 -0500 (EST)

> inactive transfer after 15 minutes as the man page suggests, that

Are they hanging idle or hanging while doing a transfer?  I posted a hack
a few months ago that takes care of hung transfers...with it, they no
longer happen.  It was not adopted into the code though.  If the list has
an archive, you might take a look.

------------------------------------------------------------------
 Jon Lewis <[email-masked]>  |  Unsolicited commercial e-mail will
 Network Administrator       |  be proof-read for $199/message.
 Florida Digital Turnpike    |  
______http://inorganic5.fdt.net/~jlewis/pgp for PGP public key____

---

From: Jon Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 22:40:07 -0500 (EST)

> know, noone has done this.

It's been done...and works for me.