Subject: Anonymous FTP Service / Time Stamp problem

From: Padmanabhan Ramadurai <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 1997 12:40:33 -0500 (EST)

Hi 

I'm finding an interesting problem with wu-ftp anonymous ftp server
software. The following is the version information.

OS:              Solaris 2.5.1
wu-ftpd version: wu-2.4 (Version wu-2.4(3) Wed Sep 17 12:55:01 EDT 1997)

When I copy/move files into the anonymous-ftp area and look at the
files thru ftpd ( by logging in as anonymous user and ls -l ), I see the
file's time stamp shows incorrect information. The file is timestamped
current time (copied/moved time) + 5 hrs. Incidentally, my local timetime
is EST (GMT-5hrs). The problem is not exhibited if I look at the files
thru ftpd by logging in as valid local user. Ofcourse, this problem
with time is not there for unix. Reboot did not fix this problem.

I'm 99.99% sure that this problem was not there all the time. But...
No configuration change was done to the wu-ftpd server software recently.
Has it got something to do with recent change from/to Daylight saving
period (just a wild guess)?

Any help/pointers will be greatly appreciated.
thanks in advance.
P.Ramadurai

---

From: Daniel Henry <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 1997 13:54:01 -0500

Try the WU-FTPD FAQ,  it's at the WU-FTPD Web page:
  http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/

>From the FAQ (I think your question is in #8,  
but it refers to #7,  so I include both here):
===================================================
7.The timezone in the xferlog is wrong 

Either, you compiled with support for setting the process title (SPT_TYPE)
on a
machine that doesn't support this, where changing the process title
clobbers the environment and therefore zaps the TZ variable. Recompile with
SPT_TYPE set
to SPT_NONE. 

Systems which don't support SPT_TYPE : Aix, SGI Irix 

Or, you need to copy the zoneinfo files to the ~ftp tree too. These are : 

        /etc/TIMEZONE
        /etc/default/init
        /usr/share/lib/zoneinfo/..

The name of the correct file in /usr/share/lib/zoneinfo depends on
your current timezone. Exact filenames depend on your operating system too.
See
the manpages for timezone(4) and zic(1M). 

8.The timezone in the ls output is wrong 

See above, but also check if your system needs /etc/default/init (Solaris
2.5 for example) for setting the correct TZ variable. This file has to be
in chrooted
environments too then. 

Noted by Francois Belanger ([email-masked]). 
===================================================

>Any help/pointers will be greatly appreciated.
Daniel Henry       U.S. Agency for International Development
Ph: 703.875.1207   Internet Data Services
Fx: 703.875.1718   <[email-masked]>