Subject: Q about Solaris 5.5.1 wu-ftpd

From: "Craig R. Ruefenacht" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 1997 19:20:02 -0700

Hi all,

This may be related to the recent discussion about the ls program
on Solaris....

I recently installed wu-ftpd on a solaris 5.5.1 machine and was able
to get the anonymous stuff set up correctly, except that when an
anonymous user logs in and does a directory listing, it shows UID
and GID numbers instead of what is in ~ftp/etc/[passwd|group].

Could someone give me a decisive answer as to what the problem
might be?  Both files in ~ftp/etc are world readable and have
the bare minimum, with no info at the machine's real /etc/
files.

-- 
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Craig Ruefenacht                   Department of Computer Science
Email: [email-masked]	  	     ENG/CS Facility Oper            
WWW:http://www.cs.utah.edu/~ruefenac           University of Utah
-----------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked] (Gerry W. Vest)
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 13:34:59 -0600

On Monday, Nov 17, 1997 Craig Ruefenacht wrote: 

> file> 

We are running the Beta 13 version of wuftp on Solaris 2.5.1, but found
the answer in the 'NOTES' file from Beta 15.  

The problem is with the Solaris 2.5.1 libraries that are supposed to go into 
the ~ftp/usr/lib directory.  They don't work properly with the 
dynamically linked version of 'ls'.  The BugID for this is 4018605.
The recommended fix is to copy over Solaris 2.5 versions of the required
library files into the ~ftp/usr/lib.  This cleared up the problem
for us, so we did not pursue the other possible fix, building a
statically linked version of 'ls'.

Gerry Vest				Systems Administrator
Email: [email-masked]		SW Foundation for Biomedical Research