Subject: Broken pipe's

From: Matthew Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 1997 10:16:34 -0500

Hello.
We have been running a slightly modified wu-ftpd 2.4 for about a year on a
Sun Ultra-2 running Solaris 2.5.1.  Our clients are all Win95 or NT. 
Within the last month or so, I have noticed an increasing number of the
following error messages in the system log:

Nov  3 10:07:59 bebub ftpd[5240]: setsockopt (SO_OOBINLINE): Broken pipe
Nov  3 10:07:59 bebub ftpd[5240]: fcntl F_SETOWN: Broken pipe

I don't remember ever seeing these messages before then.  The number of
clients accessing the server has been increasing over the past year as
well.  Can someone tell me what could be causing this?

Thanks.

Matthew Smith

---

From: "Oliver Stoll" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 1997 17:05:38 +0100

I'm not a wu-ftpd expert, but broken pipes are usually being received by
programs
when a socket connection is being abnormally closed (the other side breaks away
by cutting off the connection). With an increasing number of users which
usually behave
in many different ways that might well be the cause of the increasing number of
log
entries.

Oliver