Subject: Question concerning realpath.c

From: Keith Patton <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 1997 14:22:33 -0600

Hi all,

    While doing a few modifications for additional security
in the ftpd.c code,   I found that the routine 'realpath'
may have a problem.

It seems that if  you pass it a  '..' it doesn't return the
path of the parent directory but the current directory with
 '/..'  appended to it.

  Is this correct or should it return the path of the parent
directory?

thanks,

  Keith

---

From: "Hany Morcos (CS)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 1997 11:00:18 -0500 (EST)

Hey guys,

     I want to run wu-ftpd on a specific port and to have to worry about
changing inted.conf and other files. How can I force wu-ftpd to run a
user allowed port >1024 something like that? 

    I just want to be able to telnet to it. 

    telnet  osf1.gmu.edu 21 

Thanks in advance 
Hany

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 5 Nov 1997 19:43:30 GMT

Pink elephants with an attitude inspired "Hany Morcos (CS)" <[email-masked]> to tell garfield.mail.wu-ftpd:

:      I want to run wu-ftpd on a specific port and to have to worry about
: changing inted.conf and other files. How can I force wu-ftpd to run a
: user allowed port >1024 something like that? 

Why does this sound to me like you're building a warez site by running an
ftpserver on a non-priviledged port? Any particular reason for running it on
a non-standard port apart from 'worry about changing inetd.conf'?

:     I just want to be able to telnet to it. 

:     telnet  osf1.gmu.edu 21 

Why would you want to telnet to an ftp server.. ftping to it makes much more
sense :)

-- 
Perry Rovers ([email-masked])

---

From: "Hany Morcos (CS)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 09:49:11 -0500 (EST)

First what is a warez site? 

  Second, The only reason I want to run wu-ftpd on a specific is to fully
  tested.  To read and modify every piece of code and see how will it
  function under any kind of attacks.  I will even disaple some of the
  build in commands for security reasons. 

  I don't want to rush and install it fully and next day I will find
  a trojan hourse, or my system hacked in to.  I think you took my
  question the wrong way.  Dude I think you took my e-mail totally
  the wrong way. I do not how you do it pink elephants !!!

Thanks for you help !!!!! 
Hany  (system Admin)