Subject: Re: gets nice and fast, puts take way too long

From: Paul Civati <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 1997 17:36:03 +0100

Jim Davis <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > Installed V2.4 on a sparc10 running Slowlaris 2.5.
> 
> Have you installed the latest recommended patches for 2.5? 
> 
> Sun cranked out a lot of tcp/ip fixes for 2.5, and some of them could make
> a big difference in performance.

Especially problems with retransmissions over slow links, ie. dialup
connections.  Get the recommended patch bundle.

-Paul-

---

From: [email-masked] (Larry Strollo)
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 1997 12:53:33 -0400

LMS> When I do "get"s, things hum along quite nicely.  But when I do a
    LMS> "put", it takes much more time to complete than it should.

    Jim Davis> 
    Jim Davis> Have you installed the latest recommended patches for 2.5?
    Jim Davis> 
    Jim Davis> Sun cranked out a lot of tcp/ip fixes for 2.5, and some of them
    Jim Davis> could make a big difference in performance.

    Paul Civati> Especially problems with retransmissions over slow links,
    Paul Civati> ie. dialup connections.  Get the recommended patch bundle.

I installed the recommended patch bundle.  I also built and installed
wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-15, and it still happens.  

xferlog shows that small files (less than 2k) either take 1 second or 41
seconds of elapsed time, and I've been unable to find a method to the
madness.  Interestingly enough, a 150k file takes one second consistently.

So, I'm still stumped and still looking for ideas).

LMS

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Larry Strollo                                    Eastman Kodak Company 
[email-masked]                                 Rochester, NY 14653-5400
----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Paul Civati <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 1997 18:12:27 +0100

[email-masked] (Larry Strollo) wrote:

>     Jim Davis> Sun cranked out a lot of tcp/ip fixes for 2.5, and some of the

Time to get out tcpdump and see what's going on.

> madness.  Interestingly enough, a 150k file takes one second consistently.

The only time I've experienced such oddness was when a customer was
trying to upload files and they would stall completely after a
certain point.  Turned out in the end that the ISP the customer was
connecting through had their Ascend terminal servers misconfigured
(with the wrong MTU, IIRC).

-Paul-