Subject: [Fwd: Re: A special case of guest access]

From: Brad Waite <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 08:30:47 -0700

Anders Thulin wrote:
>
> Michael Brennen writes:
>
> > Do *not* put an 'upload' directive in /etc/ftpaccess for those
> > directories.  Create a login account for each user, put them all in the
> > same group.  Set the CMASK in ~/src/ftpd.c to 002; [...]
>
>   This is probably OK if *all* FTP-accounts share the same semantics as
> regards group rights.  But if the accounts mentioned are special that
> way, and there are other accounts with other semantics, some
> discrimination functionality must be implemented that sets umask()
> according to the type of account.
>
>   There's a similar problem with disk quotas -- if a group of users
> (with different FTP accounts, and thus UID's) should share a common
> pool of disk space, associated with the group, the FTP server must somehow
> switch over to the UID associated with that quota assignment, without
> for that reason drop the login name for logging purposes.
> (Assuming disk quota is based on UID rather than GID, of course.)

I've been facing a similar problem.  I'd like to have many guest
accounts that have the same access permissions (times, etc), and have 1
(or several) accounts that are guests (non-anonymous) as well, yet have
different access.  Basically, this is a form of a restricted anonymous
user.  By restricted, I mean that I can change the password/accesses and
limit who can get on, without limiting the other group of users.  I can
also track now based on the uid of one of these restricted users their
statistics.

-Brad Waite