Subject: Re: gets nice and fast, puts take way too long

From: Liang Chen/BOSTON/SSGA <[email-masked]>
Date: 1 Oct 97 13:33:53 EDT

The problem may be not only from the speed of tcp/ip but also the disk i/o. Why 
don't try the S.E. Tool to find which part is wrong? See

http://www.sun.com/960301/columns/adrian/column7.html

To: paul @ xciv.org @ smtp1
cc: wu-ftpd @ wugate.wustl.edu @ smtp1 (bcc: Liang Chen/BOSTON/SSGA)
From: lms @ kodak.com (Larry Strollo) @ smtp1
Date: 10/01/97 12:53:33 PM
Subject: Re: gets nice and fast, puts take way too long

    LMS> When I do "get"s, things hum along quite nicely.  But when I do a
    LMS> "put", it takes much more time to complete than it should.

    Jim Davis> 
    Jim Davis> Have you installed the latest recommended patches for 2.5?
    Jim Davis> 
    Jim Davis> Sun cranked out a lot of tcp/ip fixes for 2.5, and some of them
    Jim Davis> could make a big difference in performance.

    Paul Civati> Especially problems with retransmissions over slow links,
    Paul Civati> ie. dialup connections.  Get the recommended patch bundle.

I installed the recommended patch bundle.  I also built and installed
wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-15, and it still happens.  

xferlog shows that small files (less than 2k) either take 1 second or 41
seconds of elapsed time, and I've been unable to find a method to the
madness.  Interestingly enough, a 150k file takes one second consistently.

So, I'm still stumped and still looking for ideas).

LMS

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Larry Strollo                                    Eastman Kodak Company 
[email-masked]                                 Rochester, NY 14653-5400
----------------------------------------------------------------------