Subject: Re: An easy problem (I hope)...

From: Dave Jevans <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 17:43:51 -0700 (PDT)

>I have a problem with a Sun Sparc 5 and wu-ftpd-2.4.2-15.
>problem I am having is with the FTP or anonymous user.  I've created 
>a directory for the ftp account called /local/home/ftp.  The 

>ftp> ls
>200 PORT command successful.
>425 Can't create data socket (0.0.0.0,20): No such file or directory.

Sean,

Have you setup the ~ftp/dev/  directory?
You need to have the tcp and udp devices in there,
or a chrooted ftp cannot make IP connections on Solaris.

When you do a "man ftpd" you should see a shell script
in the man pages.  cut this out and run it.  It will
setup your ~ftp directory properly, including the devices
in ~ftp/dev

--
David Jevans                            http://www.differential.com
Email: [email-masked]          Phone: (408) 864-0603

Discover www.filedrive.com: Secure FTP and Extranet data management.

---

From: "Sean Rolinson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 21:18:58 -5

Great!! it worked perfectly...

The in.ftpd man pages that were installed (by wuftpd?) did not have 
the below mentioned information.  However, I got that information 
from another Sun box and the script worked great.

Thanks...

Sean

> Date:          Fri, 17 Oct 1997 17:43:51 -0700 (PDT)
> From:          Dave Jevans <[email-masked]>
> To:            [email-masked]
> Subject:       Re: An easy problem (I hope)...
> Cc:            [email-masked]

---

From: Jim Davis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 1997 16:04:58 -0700 (MST)

On Sun, 19 Oct 1997, Scot Needy wrote:

>  Here is dev/ 
>  crw-rw-rw-   1 root      11,  42 Oct 19 16:18 tcp
> crw-rw-rw-   1 root     105,   2 Oct 19 16:46 ticlts
> crw-rw-rw-   1 root     105,   1 Oct 19 17:03 ticotsord
> crw-r--r--   1 root      11,  41 Oct 19 17:04 udp

I think you need mode 666 for that one.

> crw-rw-rw-   1 root      13,  12 Oct 19 16:18 zero
> 
> 
> Here is usr/lib/ 

You're missing a number of important libraries here.  (And some of those
directory permissions look a little dubious.)

The Sun (not wu-ftpd) in.ftpd man page lists what you need (with the
exception of libmp.so on 2.5.1 systems).

---

From: Scot Needy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 1997 11:23:43 -0500 (CDT)

Hi; 

 I think I have got everything req in the documentation faq and links 
 to other Solaris FAQ's but I still cannot get ls -la to 
 show the user and group name rather than the UID and file 
 permissions. 

 Here is dev/ 

Here is usr/lib/ 

-r-xr-xr-x   1 root        24576 Oct 19 17:09 ld.so
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root       137172 Oct 19 17:09 ld.so.1
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root       664776 Oct 19 17:09 libc.so.1
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root         2564 Oct 19 15:51 libdl.so.1
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root        15720 Oct 19 17:09 libintl.so.1
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root        15720 Oct 19 16:33 libmp.so.1
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root       571940 Oct 19 17:13 libnsl.so.1
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root         1753 Oct 19 17:07 nslookup.help
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root        15632 Oct 19 17:13 nss_compat.so.1
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root         9324 Oct 19 17:13 nss_dns.so.1
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root        21144 Oct 19 17:13 nss_files.so.1
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root        24404 Oct 19 17:13 nss_nis.so.1
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root        28920 Oct 19 17:13 nss_nisplus.so.1
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root         9312 Oct 19 17:13 straddr.so

etc/ 

drw-rw-rw-   3 root          512 Oct 19 17:14 .
drwxr-xr-x   7 root          512 Oct 19 16:17 ..
dr--r--r--   2 root          512 Oct 19 15:55 default
-r--r--r--   1 daemon       5234 Oct 19 16:22 group
-r--r--r--   1 root         1064 Oct 19 16:49 netconfig
-r--r--r--   1 root          690 Oct 19 17:14 nsswitch.conf
-r--r--r--   1 daemon      11428 Oct 19 15:47 passwd

etc/default:
total 3
dr--r--r--   2 root          512 Oct 19 15:55 .
drw-rw-rw-   3 root          512 Oct 19 17:14 ..
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root          462 Oct 19 15:55 init

 I have tried /usr/bin/ls and  /usr/ucb/ls 

 Any Ideas ? 
 Thanks

---

From: Scot Needy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 1997 18:30:52 -0400

Opps It was ~/etc/  It seems I did not have to make this a readble
 directory on DEC OSF but Solaris 2.5.1 I did.

d--x--x--x  dec

dr-xr-xr-x  Solaris

 Thanks for all the help..
 Scot