Subject: Re: Virtual user on WU-FTPD?

From: Brian Pape <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 1997 08:14:52 -0700

> Perhaps, U might be not clear what I mean.  Let me tell you the situation
>about this.  I have a virtual domain bar.com on my server.  bar.com is a web
>hosting company which sell their web space under their v-server.  They want
>to let their user ftp to their v-server and upload web page.  For example, I
>have already got a user called Joe in my /etc/passwd, so bar.com can not
>create another user called Joe to ftp into their v-server.  However, the user
>Joe in bar.com will only have ftp access but not telnet access.  Therefore,
>it will be nice that wu-ftpd that can read ~bar.com/etc/passwd.  If I can
>specify the location of passwd file on a per-domain basis, bar.com can create
>a user Joe for ftp access only while I have a user Joe in /etc/passwd for
>both telnet and ftp access.  In other words, the administrator of a virtual
>domain can create as many virtual user he need while not worrying about
>duplicate username in the main /etc/passwd file.  ~bar.com/etc/passwd is only
>for ftp access only, no telnet will be allowed.  Do you understand what I am
>saying now?

Then my previous answer is what you need:
------
If you just want access for ftp, then put all users under
virtual host bar.com into /home/bar.com/ , so joe's home dir is
/home/bar.com/joe, then put him in a guestgroup with chroot(/home/bar.com).

Then if you have virtual host foo.com, they'd all be under /home/foo.com,
etc..

-----------

Brian Pape
Computer Resource Services
University California Los Angeles
[email-masked]

---

From: Chuque Berry <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 1997 10:51:28 -0500 (CDT)

I followed the guest how-to to the T and got everything working great,
execpt for /bin/ls seems to launch and work with out error, jsut that
nothing displays client side, any sugestions would be great.
running AIX 4.1.3

thanks

Charles (chuque) Berry

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 1997 11:20:24 -0500 (CDT)

ls is not working w/o error; you just aren't seeing it.  ls is missing a
device, library, or something it needs.

   -- Michael

---

From: Chuque Berry <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 1997 14:53:28 -0500 (CDT)

well I got it. thank you Michael.
 fyi on AIX the /home/mort/libdir needs
libc.a and libcurses.a

thanks to all that helped
Chuque

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 1997 15:49:37 -0500 (CDT)

Wierd.  On other Unix boxes that I've been on, .a is a library that is
linked in at compile time, and .so is the dynamic link extension.  Is .a
dynamic on AIX?

   -- Michael

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 1997 19:09:17 -0500 (CDT)

Thanks to Chuque and Joseph Matusiewicz -- I've added this requirement to
the guest howto in the OS specifics section.

   -- Michael

---

From: Chuque Berry <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 11:14:54 -0500 (CDT)

I get an error 421 service not avaiable, remote server has closed
connection

when I del a file, this only happens with guest users, real users it works
fine.

I recompiled the binaries, and still get the error, see no referance in
the faq.
Any suggestions?

running AIX 4.1.3

thank you
Charles (Chuque) Berry

---

From: Chuque Berry <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 12:07:44 -0500 (CDT)

> I recompiled the binaries, and still get the error, see no referance in
also the file is accually deleted, but the conection is still droped.