Subject: Problems with guest users

From: Luigi Catuogno <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 1997 09:53:59 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi,
	I have problem with guest users. 
	My system is a Digital DEC 3000 (OSF/1 V3.2) and I installed wu-ftpd 2.4.

	I did these settings into /etc/passwd:

ftptest:Q1fOwwNG5Zqxo:4999:23:ftp test:/usr/pub/www/ciccio/./.:/bin/ftponlysh
ftp:*:4998:23:ftp mast:/usr/pub/www/:/bin/sh

	and this is the directory tree in /usr/pub/www/ciccio/./

# ls -R ciccio
bin  etc

ciccio/bin:
ls

ciccio/etc:
passwd  sia

ciccio/etc/sia:
siainitgood

Ok, user ftptest logs into his root and can perform correctly uploads, downloads, and
chdir/mkdirs but he can't do "ls" (the content of the directory doesn't appear).

ftp> ls
200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for /bin/ls.
226 Transfer complete.

	Could someone help me?

						thanks

				------------------------------------------
							   Luigi Catuogno
				                XCOM - Wide Communication
				                   e-mail: [email-masked]
				  	         Office: +39 (89) 953-118
				------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 97 10:51:02 +0200

I have the same problem with the addition that the user can upload files
and make directories but not remove anything although the owner of the dirs
and files are correct...

I am running wu-ftpd 2.4.2 BETA-15 on redhat linux using an alpha server...

BTW, this seems to be a common problem; perhaps the most common reasons
should be added to the guest FAQ? Only a suggestion....

/Per

> ftptest:Q1fOwwNG5Zqxo:4999:23:ftp
test:/usr/pub/www/ciccio/./.:/bin/ftponlysh
> Ok, user ftptest logs into his root and can perform correctly uploads,
downloads
> , and

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 1997 09:52:52 -0500 (CDT)

I think you will find that the most common reasons for 'ls' failure *are*
in guest howto.  If you find that they don't solve the problem, report it
to the list.  I too am running on an alpha server and do not have the
delete problems you've reported.

   -- Michael

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 97 14:35:26 +0200

Well, problem solved!

I redid everything according to the FAQ and found what was wrong; as
default in ftpaccess guest users have the same restrictions as anonymous
users regarding chmod, delete etc. I changed that and then it worked! This
little story says something about "really having read the docs..."! :-)

So my tip is; if it does not work for you and you have followed the FAQ but
only added info to ftpaccess, check whats in there from the beginning!!

Thanks!

/Per