Subject: /bin/ls works for SOME but not ALL anonymous users

From: "Michael Ryan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 14:08:19 PST

this is NOT the typical /bin/ls problem.  i have had the /bin/ls problem
in the past.  have it configured so it works.   box Solaris 2.5.1,
WU-FTPD 2.4.

Problem?  SOME anonymous users cannot make LIST work!  error message is 
425 Can't build data connection: Connection timed out.  however, MANY
anonymous users can get listings -- i know because we're getting a lot
of downloads and i've tried.

% chroot ~ftp /bin/ls works.  truss shows only libc_psr.so.1 missing. 

Examples?  i can get a listing using FTP from my SUN workstation and
from http://www.unipress.com/cgi-bin/WWWeblint.  on the other hand,
logging into my SIRIUS.COM account or using my local Web Proxy, i cannot
get a listing.

this appears to be some FTP protocol error.  how can i find out what's
happening?

thank you
//michael

-- 
:: michael ryan , [email-masked]
:: xerox office of the net , 3400 hillview avenue , palo alto , 94304
:: 650 813 7620 , *923 7620

---

From: [email-masked] (Josef Siemes)
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 22:59:19 +0100 (NFT)

> of downloads and i've tried.

Seems you have something in /dev missing, so your server can't do 'PASV'.
WU-FTPD Faq, Q. 9.13 I'd say.

http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html

Josef Siemes,
[email-masked]