Subject: Solaris crashing...

From: Skye Merlin Poier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 13:10:04 -0800

Hello!

Having a bizarre problem with wu-ftpd under Solaris 2.5.1 - I modified the
pathnames.h to suit my needs and did a 'build sol' and copied the binaries
into the directory I wanted.  I then modified inetd.conf to invoke it as
follows:

ftptest stream tcp nowait  root /ftp/corpftpd/bin/in.ftpd in.ftpd -l -d -a

where ftptest is port 1234.

I can connect fine, transfer files, but as soon as I close the session the
server reboots!  Testing with the exact same configuration, binaries, inetd
config on a Solaris 2.6 box, works fine, no crash.

I initially had the problem with wu-ftpd 2.4.2-beta15 so I grabbed and
compiled 2.4, exact same behaviour.

Help!! Anyone else seen this?

I've attached my ftpaccess config file, if that helps any.

Skye

-- 
Skye Poier: Network Operations, Canada Internet Direct   -   [email-masked]
1050 - 555 W Hastings St, Vancouver, B.C., V6B 4N6       -     (604) 602-1800

---

From: Skye Merlin Poier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 15:28:26 -0800

Just a followup to my last message... I'm compiling with gcc 2.7.2.1, I've
tried compiling it on a different machine, and I've tried running the same
ftp configuration on a different 2.5.1 machine, with the same results. 

Panics the server as soon as I close the ftp connection.

Skye

---

From: Anders Thulin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 07:56:46 +0100 (MET)

Skye Poier writes: 
> Having a bizarre problem with wu-ftpd under Solaris 2.5.1 - [...]

> server reboots! 

  I have seen a similar problem on Solaris 2.4, but ... it seemed related
to uploaded data. As soon as I uploaded a particular file, the system
crashed during the upload.  It could not be repeated on another 2.4 system
with slightly different setup (memory, other net configuration, etc.)
At first I thought it was a weird memory overrun problem, but Purify never
complained on that other system, so I never found it. (Couldn't test the
first system -- a heavily used production system.)

  Haven't seen the problem since, so I have no idea what it could have been,
or if it is still there. We have applied patches, so it might have been a
Solaris bug.

  Check that you have all recommended network and kernel patches installed.

Anders Thulin       [email-masked]        013-23 55 32
Telia Engineering AB, Teknikringen 6, S-583 30 Linkoping, Sweden