Subject: chmod +

From: Greg Shepherd <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 1997 06:57:15 -0700

My wuftp install locks all users into their home directories as I planned;
thanks to the help from this group.

Now I'm getting requests for working groups to have ftp access to the group
directory. I don't want to create a group account, but would like the users
to be able to ftp into that dir, with the same locking they get in their
home directory.

Is there a way to allow the users to have more than one directory for ftp
access?

Greg

===================================================================
Greg Shepherd
Springfield Public Schools
Springfield, OR
Systems Engineer
(541) 726-3268
[email-masked]

"...It is somewhat of a rude awakening for many of these parents to
     find that America is facing a most serious situation regarding its
     popular music. Welfare workers tell us that never in the history of
     our land have there been such immoral conditions among our
     young people, and in the surveys made by many organizations
     regarding these conditions, the blame is laid on jazz music and its
     evil influence on the young people of today... That it has a
     demoralizing effect upon the human brain has been demonstrated
     by many scientists."
                                           - Ladies Home Journal, 1921
===================================================================

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 1997 09:36:48 -0500 (CDT)

Noting your chmod/chown correction... :)

I don't fully understand what you mean by 'group directory'.  Do you mean
the parent directory of a bunch of chrooted users?  Can you draw the
directory tree you want?

   -- Michael

On Fri, 3 Oct 1997, Greg Shepherd wrote:

> My wuftp install locks all users into their home directories as I
> planned;  thanks to the help from this group. 
> 
> Now I'm getting requests for working groups to have ftp access to the
> group directory. I don't want to create a group account, but would like
> the users to be able to ftp into that dir, with the same locking they
> get in their home directory.

---

From: Greg Shepherd <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 1997 11:39:52 -0700

Okay.

Each user has a home directory in /home/users/uname

When they ftp in, they are chroot'd into their homes and locked their. From
there, they can modify their personal web documents.

BUT, some users are working as groups to make department web documents
stored in /home/web/depts/dept-name.

Those who can only access the server via ftp need to ftp into that
directory. I would like the same locked environment they have in their home
directories that the chroot provides. Unfortunatly, I can't figure a way to
allow them to ftp, chroot'd, into multiple directories.

Does this help?

Greg

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 1997 12:46:33 -0500 (CDT)

Defining a separate login for each department Web directory would do it; 
give the necessary login info to each dept. member, let them log in with
that one group account.

If you want per member accountability, define a Unix group for that
departmental group, define multiple accounts for each user in that group,
each chrooted to the dept. web tree.  Make file permissions 0775, owned by
the user/group, and set an upload directive in /etc/ftpaccess to upload
files with permissions of 0775.  Or set the overall daemon umask to 002. 

   -- Michael