Subject: WU: Suggestion for Subjects

From: Pete Holsberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 11:23:16 -0400 (EDT)

People,

It has been suggested on other mailing lists that a poster
prefix his/her subject with a 2-letter code, unique to that
mailing list. This makes it easy for people who subscribe
to many lists and/or people who like to filter their email
before reading it.

As you can see, I suggest we use "WU:" as a prefix.

Thanks,
Pete

---

From: Shane Castle <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 10:10:23 -0600 (MDT)

>As you can see, I suggest we use "WU:" as a prefix.

This is a bit silly.  Most MUAs today allow some kind of filtering and
disposition based on the From address.  For example, I use procmail to
sort my incoming mail into folders; all mail from the wu-ftpd list goes
into a folder 'wu-ftpd' that I can then view with Pine.  If I had
routed my email to my GroupWise account instead I could do something
similar.  Besides, when replies come through, would the subjects be
"Re: WU: Some silly subject" or "WU: Re: WU: Some silly subject" or
(shudder!) "WU: Some silly subject -Reply" or even worse hashes of the
subject line, making threading the replies difficult at best.

Shane Castle             | "Perfection, then, is finally achieved, not
Boulder County Info Svcs | when there is nothing left to add, but when
Boulder CO USA           | there is nothing left to take away."
                         |                - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

---

From: Bob Luckin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 97 11:54:38 CDT

> As you can see, I suggest we use "WU:" as a prefix.

As has already been suggested, this is not necessary if you have access to
a mail filtering capability (such as procmail).  So the question is, how many
readers don't have access ?

And if it is desirable to prefix the subject, it should be done automatically
by the mailing list server, not by each individual.  Certainly some servers
can do this automatically (majordomo); not sure about the one used for wu_ftpd
though.

Kent, I seem to recall you have some list admin rights.  Any idea if this can
be done (if it is really wanted) ?

Cheers, Bob
-- 
Bob Luckin      [email-masked]      "Coder, adapt; FTP Ada, redo C"
                                 [http://www.dhc.net/~luckin/palindromes.html]

---

From: "T's Mailing Lists" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 20:35:10 +0000 (GMT)

> readers don't have access ?

Yet another question is, how many mailreaders there are, that can >not< be
tweaked into filtering incoming mail somehow (by the To: field). And even 
then you can do a small script that runs a filter (procmail) first and
starts your mailreader after. I mean >even< Netscape does have such
capabilities...

> be done (if it is really wanted) ?

What would this exactly change?

*
t

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                   Tomas Pospisek's mailing-lists mailbox   
           www.SPIN.ch - Internet Services in Graubuenden/Switzerland
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tom: So far, der winter kommt, ich schaff mir glaub ich noch ein paar
Tom: Zyxel traffos an...
Roli: Aber genug davon nehmen. Wenn die Dinger kapput gehen werden sie 
Roli: nicht mehr warm.

---

From: Pete Holsberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 15:00:24 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 16 Oct 1997, T's Mailing Lists wrote:

> Yet another question is, how many mailreaders there are,
> that can >not< be tweaked into filtering incoming mail
> somehow (by the To: field). And even then you can do a
> small script that runs a filter (procmail) first and
> starts your mailreader after. I mean >even< Netscape does
> have such capabilities...

I'm sorry I mentioned filtering! I don't care about
filtering!! :-)

I would like to be able to look at my chronological list of
email messages and see which ones are from which mailing
lists.

Thanks,
Pete

---

From: Kent Landfield <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 12:03:30 +0000 (US/Central)

# > As you can see, I suggest we use "WU:" as a prefix.
# 
# Kent, I seem to recall you have some list admin rights.  Any idea if this can
# be done (if it is really wanted) ?

Not that I can see. (Listproc needs some new features...) 

Besides listproc, a change like this also affects my list archiving software.
It is not equipted to deal with a WU: before the Re: for followups.  I could
change it but unless someone knows a trick of listproc that I can't seem to
see in the docs, I'm not going to bother. ;)

-- 
Kent Landfield                        Phone: 1-817-545-2502             
Email: [email-masked]             http://www.landfield.com/
Please send comp.sources.misc related mail to [email-masked].
Search the Usenet Hypertext FAQ Archive at http://www.faqs.org/faqs/