Subject: URGENT: Authentication problem using Solaris 2.5 and NIS+

From: "Uwe Poliak" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 16:33:51 +0000

Hi everyone out there,

we use wu-ftpd-2.4.2-academ[BETA-15](1) on our ftp-server. The OS 
under which the server is running is Solaris 2.5 without any patches. 
We use NIS+.
The NIS+-server and replica are both patched with the latest 
packages. The NIS+-server/replica are different to the ftp server.
All server run Solaris 2.5

Now, when I reboot the ftp-server, users cannot log in to the ftp 
server. Their access with their real username and password is denied 
with a login incorrect message.

When a users first connects to the ftp-server via telnet and 
authenticates himself with his username and password, the telnet 
login works. 
Let me say, that the passwords are given in the CORRECT way at each 
try!

After this telnet connection, the user can log in to the ftp server 
with his username and password, until the next time the ftp server 
is rebooted. 

Does anyone know about an incompatibility between the authentication 
mechanism of wu-ftpd (beta-15) and NIS+ under SOlaris 2.5?

If yes, is there a workaround to solve this problem?
Is there a possibility to replace wu-ftpd's authentication mechanism 
to work with Sol2.5 and NIS+?

Thanks in advance,
Uwe Poliak
Computing Centre 
Fachhochschule Reutlingen

Uwe Poliak

--- 
PGP public key gegen Mail mit Betreff "!Send Public Key!"
oder von http://www.fh-reutlingen.de/~poliak/infos/uwe.asc