Subject: "real" user password for wu-ftpd on Solaris 2.5.1

From: "Gray, Mark M. " <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 13:03:12 -0600

I have the wu-ftpd version 2.4 compiler under gcc on a Solaris 2.5.1
system.  When it comes to checking passwords, it works exactly like I
want it to for anonymous ftp users.  However, when a real user, (one who
has a password entry in the for real no-kidding /etc/passwd and an entry
in the real no-kidding /etc/shadow file), logs in they get asked for a
password, (like you would expect), but upon entering their correct
password, they are denied access.  On entering NO PASSWORD at all
(hitting the return key) they have the access that they are expecting to
have.

Any suggestions?  Is this in a FAQ somewhere?

Thanks,

Mark M. Gray

---

From: Jenice Darner <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 14:22:36 -0500

> Any suggestions?  Is this in a FAQ somewhere?

http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 14:37:55 -0600 (CST)

> (hitting the return key) they have the access that they are expecting to

First of all, upgrade to beta 15 for bug and security reasons.  Then check
the distribution docs for shadow compile options (not the default).  The
FAQ and other goodies are below. 

   -- Michael

This is the location for the latest wu-ftpd.  You can't see the
directory contents, but get the file anyway.  It's there.

ftp://ftp.academ.com/pub/wu-ftpd/private/wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-15.tar.Z

wu-ftpd FAQ:  http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html
              OR
              send mail to [email-masked]
              with a subject line: send faq

guest howto:  ftp://ftp.fni.com/pub/wu-ftpd/guest-howto
              OR
              send mail to "[email-masked]"
              (immediate autoresponder; subject does not matter)

wu-ftpd Resource Center:  http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/
wu-ftpd list archive:     http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/mail-archive/

There are additional security references in the above docs.