Subject: Ftp users

From: "Matt W." <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 21:00:48 +0000 (GMT)

Anybody,

I am trying to make a user only able to login by ftp, and go to a certin
directory.  I created a new user 'ftp' and set the shell to '/bin/false'
and set their home directory to /ftp but when ever the person ftps in they
get an error 'User ftp access denied.' but if I change the shell
to '/bin/tcsh' they can login through ftp, but they get access to / but I
want to make it so they cannot leave the ftp directory (just make it so
they can go further down the directory tree, but not up past /ftp)
is there any way I can do this?

Thanks a lot!!!

Matt

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 16:29:40 -0500 (CDT)

The guest howto, FAQ and list archives can help answer your questions.

   -- Michael

> is there any way I can do this?

This is the location for the latest wu-ftpd.  You can't see the
directory contents, but get the file anyway.  It's there.

ftp://ftp.academ.com/pub/wu-ftpd/private/wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-15.tar.Z

wu-ftpd FAQ:  http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html
              OR
              send mail to [email-masked]
              with a subject line: send faq

guest howto:  ftp://ftp.fni.com/pub/wu-ftpd/guest-howto
              OR
              send mail to "[email-masked]"
              (immediate autoresponder; subject does not matter)

wu-ftpd Resource Center:  http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/
wu-ftpd list archive:     http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/mail-archive/

There are additional security references in the above docs.