Subject: Re: question

From: Dave Jevans <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 19:27:57 -0800 (PST)

Yury

>I have wu-ftpd-2.4 on my Linux-2.0.9.I want to have symbolic link into
>/home/ftp. For.ex ln -s /usr/local /home/ftp/locfiles.When i do it and login
>like anonymous and try to view content of linked directory ,i see"550
>locfiles :No such file or directory",

This is because your anonymous ftp users are "chrooted" into the
/home/ftp directory.  This means taht the operating system
will not allow them to access files outside of /home/ftp.

If you put a symbolic link to an external file, such as /usr/local,
then when the wu-ftpd tries to follow that symlink, it is not
permitted by the operating system, and you see the 550 error.

Normal users will be able to see the symlink, because wu-ftpd
does not chroot them into their home directories.

You will have to copy the files from /usr/local into your
/home/ftp/locfiles/ directory for anonymous users to see them.

This chrooting is done as a security precaution for anonymous users.

DJ
---
David Jevans                            http://www.differential.com
Email: [email-masked]          Phone: (408) 864-0603

         Secure FTP and Extranet data management.
                      www.filedrive.com