Subject: MD5 Encrypted Passwords

From: Michael Tibor <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Oct 1997 15:28:04 -0800

I just installed shadow-970616, and I tried to enable md5 encrypted
passwords, but beta-15 doesn't seem to understand md5 (after I enable
md5 in /etc/login.defs, run 'passwd <user>' to generate a new password,
that particular user cannot ftp in to the server).

When I compiled wu-ftpd I did make the changes necessary for shadow
passwords, and users whose passwords were not generated using md5 *are*
successfully authenticated.

My system is a Slackware box running 2.0.31-pre5 and wu-ftpd-beta-15

Is md5 support just not included yet?  I'm guessing that's the case
because I could find no references to it in any of the docs included
with the distribution, or in the FAQ.

Mike

-- 
Mike Tibor        University of Alaska Anchorage    (907) 786-1001 voice
LAN Technician    Consortium Library                (907) 786-6050 fax
http://www.lib.uaa.alaska.edu/~tibor/    mailto:[email-masked]

---

From: Jon Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 1997 12:24:47 -0400 (EDT)

> Is md5 support just not included yet?  I'm guessing that's the case

did you add -lc -lcrypt to LIBS in the makefile?

------------------------------------------------------------------
 Jon Lewis <[email-masked]>  |  Unsolicited commercial e-mail will
 Network Administrator       |  be proof-read for $199/message.
 Florida Digital Turnpike    |  
______http://inorganic5.fdt.net/~jlewis/pgp for PGP public key____