Subject: identd & wu-2.4.2-academ[BETA-15](1)

From: Michael Helm <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 10:45:12 -0800

Solaris 2.5.1 server ; wu-2.4.2-academ[BETA-15](1)
Trying to use identd (%u macro).  Always get "[unknown]".
tcpd (tcp wrappers) can pick up the occasional ident entry.
What do I need to do to get wu-ftpd to do an ident query,
or is this broken?  Looking at some source, extensions.c
line 279:

/* KH : cookie %u for RFC931 name */
            case 'u':
                if (authenticated) strncpy(outptr, authuser, 24);
                else strcpy(outptr,"[unknown]");
                *(outptr + 24) = '\0';
                break;

I guess it doesn't do anything like an ident query?  Or only
under some circumstances?  Any ideas? 

[You needn't tell me about the utility or security of identd;
I know all about it, but need it anyway]

Thanks, ==mwh