Subject: GUI FTP clients with wu-ftpd`

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 14:13:11 -0400

We have installed wu-ftpd; all aspects working fine as long as we use an
ascii-based ftp.  When we try GUI-based FTP such as Hummingbird Exceed FTP
or CuteFTP, the client can't see any files or subdirectories under the
user's chroot-ed home.  If the user cd's up one level (to their perceived
"root"), they can no longer see even their own home directory.  It's not an
ls problem, either; we've put 'ls' into ~/bin - even put it in each user's
home directory, just on a hunch.  Exceed's built-in ascii mode (invoked
from the GUI) can see the files just fine.  I'm in correspondence with
Hummingbird and CuteFTP, but was also wondering if anyone else out there
had run into this.  Thanks.
Dave

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 11:24:10 -0700 (PDT)

Actually we ran in to this as well. I reran the anonymous setup
program and it fixed it. Exactly what was wrong I never figured out. 

				Richard

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 17:34:30 -0500 (CDT)

> ls problem, either; we've put 'ls' into ~/bin - even put it in each user's

I'll bet it is..... :) 

>From the line mode FTP program do 'ls -CF'; if you don't see any results,
the external ls is not working.  For pointers, see the guest howto, the
FAQ and the list archives.

wuftpd has a simple 'ls' (with no options) built in; command line clients
will typically type just 'ls', so the built in function is used.  Windows
clients usually issue ls with options, so the external ls is called.  If
that does not work, your external ls is broken.

   -- Michael