Subject: Re: Build wu-ftpd

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 21:40:23 +0000

Hi,

I have just done this on an e4000 running 2.5.1 and got the same problem, 
followed the notes and it works fine. The only thing I spot wrong is that (at 
least you say that) you replaced the wrong file. You need to replace 
/usr/include/arpa/ftp.h with support/ftp.h rather than how you described it (the
other way round,

Just in case you did read INSTALL wrong,

Martin

PS Sorry about the company bit at the bottom.
______________________________ Reply Separator _________________________________
Subject: Build wu-ftpd
Author:  MIME [email-masked]} at INTERNET
Date:    9/15/97 8:16 PM

Hi,

On a Sparc 5 running Solaris 2.5.1, I am trying to run the build to 
create the ftpd.  The cc (C compiler) is complaining about strunames, 
typenames, modenames and filenames being undefined.  As per the 
instructions I replaced the support/ftp.h with the 
/usr/include/arpa/ftp.h (of course renaming the orginal) reran it and it 
has the same exact errors.  Any other files I need to look at?

I sent this early this morning but our mail host was hosed up.  Please 
excuse the repeat.

Thanks,

Cheryl Yevak

**********************************************************************
DST International   Tel:+44 181 390 5000    www.dstinternational.co.uk 

This message and any attachments to it is intended only for the 
individual or company to which it is addressed and may contain 
information which is privileged, confidential or prohibited from 
disclosure or unauthorised use.  If the recipient of this 
transmission is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent 
responsible for delivering such materials to the intended recipient, 
you are hereby notified that any use, any form of reproduction, 
dissemination, copying, disclosure, modification, distribution and/or 
publication of this e-mail message or its attachments other than by 
its intended recipient is strictly prohibited by the sender.  

If you have received it in error, please notify us immediately by 
telephone on the number above and destroy the message and all copies 
in your possession.
**********************************************************************

---

From: Jim Davis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 17:02:21 -0700 (MST)

> /usr/include/arpa/ftp.h with support/ftp.h rather than how you described it (the

Hang on a sec -- you shouldn't have to do anything like that to build the
current version on a Solaris 2.5.1 system.  To check that, I just
downloaded it and ran

./build sol

on a 2.5.1 system, using Sun's C compiler, and it compiled without a
whimper.

I also tried

./build 'CC=gcc' sol

to use gcc 2.7.2.2 instead of Sun's C compiler, and again it compiled
without a peep.

I think that stuff about include files was for the old version of wu-ftpd,
which you don't want to be running (for lots of reasons). 

In case you missed the recent announcement, the latest version is
available from

ftp://ftp.academ.com/pub/wu-ftpd/private/wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-15.tar.Z

---

From: Anne Baretta <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 01:10:43 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi,

I have modified 'adduser' to setup guestaccounts for me (making it
'addguest'), but in a very ugly way (i.e. the script, not the accounts;-). 
Has anyone made a nicer script? Maybe with password-generation included? I
have seen a perlscript in the archives, are there other ways? The guest
accounts are for homepages, and it would be nice to have one script to do
it all for you. Actually, I'd like to add the email-addres of the user as
an option after <username> and let the script send the passwd rightaway.
	About the security touches in the guest-accounts howto, they seem
to be appropriate/functional in only a few cases, i.e. when a user can't
delete files. Isn't it right that the daemons looking for .forward and
.rhosts files will only look in /home/web/mort, which they won't find,
since it's /, the root dir? (if you do a cd ~ you get '550 /home/web/mort:
No such file or directory'). Please let me know if any of this makes any
sense, other hints, tips and opinions are welcome too.

Anne

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 18:31:01 -0500 (CDT)

I think the idea of making .forward, .rhosts, etc. is for daemons that
don't run chrooted, such as sendmail.  However, this raises an interesting
point that I have never considered.  When a chdir() section is added,
something like "/home/web/mort/./public_html", where do various daemons
think ~ is?  mort or public_html?  In a sense this is moot for a well
configured ftpd, because files with a leading '.' can't be uploaded. 

   -- Michael

---

From: Anne Baretta <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 02:08:32 +0200 (MET DST)

> configured ftpd, because files with a leading '.' can't be uploaded. 

Yes, that's exactly what I have been trying to figure out, in fact, I have
tried the exact same entry with public_html;-) A cd ~ still will say:
/home/web/mort: No such file or directory. 
	You are right, it should not be a point. 

Anne

---

From: Christopher McCrory <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 17:09:45 -0700

Hello...

>  <snip> files with a leading '.' can't be uploaded.

What about uploading a file rhosts and then renameing it .rhosts?  

(my 2 cents)

-- 

Christopher McCrory
Lead Bithead, Netus Inc.
[email-masked]
[email-masked]

"Linux: Because rebooting is for adding new hardware"

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 20:04:19 -0500 (CDT)

Failed here on b14.

   -- Michael

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 18 Sep 1997 18:11:01 GMT

Pink elephants with an attitude inspired Anne Baretta <[email-masked]> to tell garfield.mail.wu-ftpd:
: I have modified 'adduser' to setup guestaccounts for me (making it
: 'addguest'), but in a very ugly way (i.e. the script, not the accounts;-). 
: Has anyone made a nicer script? Maybe with password-generation included? I
: have seen a perlscript in the archives, are there other ways? The guest
I'm not sure for which OS this is, but modifying adduser to use other
defaults shouldn't be too hard? The one for FreeBSD already is a Perl script
I think and I've modified it to add popboxes easily. Basically stripping out
the stuff I don't need and provide some defaults. The main tricky bit is the
locking stuff and making sure you don't mess up stuff depending on a certain
format of the password file (under FreeBSD it seems possible to create
multiple accounts with the same username under certain conditions. This will
show up in security checks but not in the standard rebuilds of the password
database).

: since it's /, the root dir? (if you do a cd ~ you get '550 /home/web/mort:
: No such file or directory'). Please let me know if any of this makes any

This is something I noted earlier (Kent Landfield and myself considered it a
bug) and submitted to Stan. He is considering it for 2.5.

-- 
Perry Rovers ([email-masked])