Subject: Some users can't log in

From: Chris Magnuson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 09:26:15 -0600 (MDT)

Hi,

I've checked the archives and the FAQ, if this is a common question please
beat me up then point me to the information treasure chest.

I am running Version wu-2.4.2-academ[BETA-12](1) on Red Hat Linux 4.2, with
the installed RPM and shadow passwords.  I can log in just fine (user
chrism has a group named chrism) but other users like joe (in the group
named "users") can't log in (login denied).

I'd appreciate a pointer as to what the possible problem could be.

Thanks,
Chris Magnuson
[email-masked]

---

From: Chris Magnuson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 09:57:30 -0600 (MDT)

>     My first guess would be to check /etc/shells; wu-ftpd disallows any
>logins from users whose shells are not listed there.

Oops.  I forgot to say that I had already checked that. 

(looking...)

Doh!  Here's the problem.  There is no shell specified in /etc/passwd.

OK, so here's a new question, is it possible to allow ftp access but
disallow telnet?  Typically to disallow telnet you set the shell in
/etc/passwd to be something bogus.

Chris

---

From: [email-masked] (Andy Church)
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 1997 22:12:18 EDT

>/etc/passwd to be something bogus.

---[/etc/passwd]---
[...]
joeluser:x:123:456:Joe L. User:/home/joeluser:/bin/ftponly

---[/etc/shells]---
[...]
/bin/ftponly

---[/bin/ftponly]---
#!/bin/sh
echo "Sorry, you are not allowed telnet access."

  --Andy Church                  | If Bell Atlantic really is the heart
    [email-masked]       | of communication, then it desperately
    www.dragonfire.net/~achurch/ | needs a quadruple bypass.