From: Brian Pape <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 20:22:01 -0700

>First , I want to explain what do I mean for Virtual users.  I want to
>create a user for virtual domain bar.com so that his info will store
>into ~bar.com/etc/passwd, and he can have real user access to our server
>under the path of virtual domain bar.com.  (for example, /home/bar.com/
>will be the root directory of this virtual user.)  If I can specify the
>location of passwd file on a per-domain basis, I can keep my /etc/passwd
>"cleaner" and easier to manage.  Moreover, I can create user Joe in
>virtual domain bar.com and I can also create another user Joe for
>virtual domain foo.com while these two users are different people.
>Right now, if I create a real user account for Joe in wu-ftpd, no other
>virtual domain can create user Joe for ftp access.
>
>I read the Document about "How to set up guest accounts", however it
>does not look like what I am looking for.  Does anyone know how to do
>it?  I will really appreciate for any comments.

Basically, this has nothing to do with ftp then, since it concerns
real users.  If you just want access for ftp, then put all users under
virtual host bar.com into /home/bar.com/ , so joe's home dir is
/home/bar.com, then put him in a guestgroup with chroot(/home/bar.com).

Then if you have virtual host foo.com, they'd all be under /home/foo.com,
etc..

If you want five users named joe to be able to telnet to your machine
from different "virtual domains", then you're out of luck.

Brian Pape
Computer Resource Services
University California Los Angeles
[email-masked]