Subject: Re: symbolic links

From: Neville Kadwa <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 17:46:31 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 12 Sep 1997, Jim Davis wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Sep 1997, Neville Kadwa wrote:
> 
> > Why is it that when I have a guest group set up for a user and I link his
> > directory to a directory that is globally readable and executable, wu-ftpd
> > tells the user they can't switch to that directory because "too many
> > symbolic links encountered"?
> 
> That's probably coming from the kernel, not wu-ftpd per se, and it's
> probably because there's a loop in the symbolic links.  To break loops,
> the kernel emposes a limit on how many link traversals it will try before
> it gives up.  That's usually a big enough number not to be a bother for
> applications, while still catching the cases were a was linked to b was
> linked to c and then back to a again. 
> 

Well, I don't think it's a case of that. I can use this link just fine
normally. It just symbolically links to a directory. It is a limit that
seems to be imposed only to guest users. I don't want to make the user a
real since I want the chroot to be the home directory.