Subject: Virtual user on WU-FTPD?

From: Derek Leung <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 14:01:21 -0700

Hello,
   I have been reading the mailing list these couple days, and I notice
that someone mention a question that I am looking for, but there was no
answer for it.  The question is that is it possible to set up the
wu-ftpd so that I can create virtual user in wu-ftpd?

First , I want to explain what do I mean for Virtual users.  I want to
create a user for virtual domain bar.com so that his info will store
into ~bar.com/etc/passwd, and he can have real user access to our server
under the path of virtual domain bar.com.  (for example, /home/bar.com/
will be the root directory of this virtual user.)  If I can specify the
location of passwd file on a per-domain basis, I can keep my /etc/passwd
"cleaner" and easier to manage.  Moreover, I can create user Joe in
virtual domain bar.com and I can also create another user Joe for
virtual domain foo.com while these two users are different people.
Right now, if I create a real user account for Joe in wu-ftpd, no other
virtual domain can create user Joe for ftp access.

I read the Document about "How to set up guest accounts", however it
does not look like what I am looking for.  Does anyone know how to do
it?  I will really appreciate for any comments.

rgd,
Derek
mailto:[email-masked]

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 20:11:23 -0500 (CDT)

> wu-ftpd so that I can create virtual user in wu-ftpd?

Don't think so.

> virtual domain can create user Joe for ftp access.

There has to be something unique about each user logging in; today that is
done by a unique ID in the global /etc/passwd arbitrater.  You might be
able to do this by doing a virtual Web server type hack on wu-ftpd, so
that if they come from 1.22.333.1 the DocumentRoot would be different than
coming from 1.22.333.2, and a different ~/etc/passwd would be checked.
That doesn't exist today. 

   -- Michael

---

From: Troy <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 21:33:07 -0500 (CDT)

Hi there,

Could I be taken off this list?  I can't remove myself -- my machine name
has changed.  I've emailed directly but to no avail (see note below).

Thanks!

Troy (used to be [email-masked])

----<begin>----
>From [email-masked] Tue Sep 16 20:49:54 1997
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 20:49:54 -0500 (CDT)
From: Troy <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: removal from list
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
Status: RO
X-Status: 

hi there...

I'd like to remove myself from the wu-ftpd list but my machine
name has changed.  I'm currently subscribed under:

    [email-masked]

Please remove me!  Many thanks!
Troy