Subject: wu-ftpd-2.4 vs wu-ftpd-2.4.4-beta* and CERT CA-97.16

From: Gerald Justice <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 17:36:06 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

Because of signal handling bugs in various ftpd implementations as
reported in CERT notice CA-97.16 * I installed wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-13
but didn't realize at the time that ftp conversions weren't working.
We are using this on a Sparc running Solaris 2.5.1.  I just this week
tried updating to beta-15 but still no ftp conversions.  I then
installed the latest non-beta namely wu-ftpd-2.4 and ftp conversions
are working again.  However, "this version of 2.4" seems to be slightly
different than the 2.4 I had fetched initially.  (diff on the source
reveals very few but definite code differences.)  Is the latest 2.4
safe as far as the CERT CA-97.16 is concerned?  (And why didn't the
version number get incremented?)

Any guesses as to why ftp conversions do not work with the beta
releases?  I put everything in the same places for both non-beta and
beta and ckconfig claims to be completely happy.  It seems like it must
be something really simple but it is escaping me.

* The CERT notice is at ftp://info.cert.org/pub/cert_advisories/CA-97.16.ftpd

Thanks,

Gerald Justice

E-mail: [email-masked]  Mail: Dominion Astrophysical Observatory 
                                         Herzberg Institute of Astrophysics
Phone:  (250) 363-0055   PST             National Research Council (Canada) 
                                         5071 W. Saanich Road 
Fax:    (250) 363-0045                   Victoria, B.C.   CANADA  V8X 4M6