Subject: Re: error 425

From: Godfrey Nix <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 14:43:15 +0000

> solaris 2.5.1
> Beta14
> gcc compiled
> static ls

> 
> >  error 425,  "Can't create data socket (0.0.0.0,20): No such file or
> > directory."

At a risk of telling you what you already know ...
I have just set up wu-ftpd on a solaris machine and I had the same
problem.

The cause is the device files not beeing seen. Now either they
have the wrong permissions, or else they are in the wrong place.
They must not be in anywhere other than ~ftp/dev, where ~ftp is
the path to the bacic directory that the user is chrooted to, eg
if the passwd file has -
fred:*:Fred Smith:/export/home/fred/./incoming:/ftponly
then the dev files must be created in /export/home/fred/dev

There is no escape from this as far as I know. Symbolic links are
unworkable through the chroot operation.

If you look in the man page of in.ftpd supplied by Sun, you will see
a whole section where a script is quoted showing how to create
the files. Use this and it should work.

All the best,
 
Godfrey N Nix  C.Eng MBCS B.ScTech(Hons)
Network Operations Manager
East Midlands Network Ltd (emnet)
phone 0115 956 8260
visit  http://www.emnet.co.uk