Subject: gets nice and fast, puts take way too long

From: [email-masked] (Larry Strollo)
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 17:15:12 -0400

Installed V2.4 on a sparc10 running Slowlaris 2.5.

When I do "get"s, things hum along quite nicely.  But when I do a "put", it
takes much more time to complete than it should. 

My command window says this:

   ftp> put fredDirections
   200 PORT command successful.
   150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for fredDirections.

and then it sits there.

Trussing the processes during the whole session shows that after it reads 
"fredDirections" fine, this line takes a couple seconds:

   ioctl(12, TCGETA, 0xEFFFE9CC)                   Err#25 ENOTTY

where 12 is the file descriptor for the newly created destination file.
Then this line shows up for the rest of the time it's sort of hung:

   read(13, 0x0006D514, 8192)      (sleeping...)

where 13 is the file descriptor for /dev/tcp.

After about a minute, it wakes up again and completes normally.

Any ideas ?

LMS

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Larry Strollo                                    Eastman Kodak Company 
[email-masked]                                 Rochester, NY 14653-5400
----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Jim Davis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 14:35:10 -0700 (MST)

> Installed V2.4 on a sparc10 running Slowlaris 2.5.

Have you installed the latest recommended patches for 2.5? 

Sun cranked out a lot of tcp/ip fixes for 2.5, and some of them could make
a big difference in performance.

---

From: Chuque Berry <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 21:27:55 -0500 (CDT)

I am trying to install wu-ftpd so that it roots registered users to their
home dir. based on username and login.  Read the faq and am still lost,
can someone point me in the right direction? running AIX 4.1.3 and have
latest source of wu-ftpd.

thank you
Charles (chuque) Berry

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 21:48:32 -0500 (CDT)

> latest source of wu-ftpd.

Guest howto, FAQ and mailing list archives, in that order, should do it.

This is the location for the latest wu-ftpd.  You can't see the
directory contents, but get the file anyway.  It's there.

ftp://ftp.academ.com/pub/wu-ftpd/private/wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-15.tar.Z

wu-ftpd FAQ:  http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html
              OR
              send mail to [email-masked]
              with a subject line: send faq

guest howto:  ftp://ftp.fni.com/pub/wu-ftpd/guest-howto
              OR
              send mail to "[email-masked]"
              (immediate autoresponder; subject does not matter)

wu-ftpd Resource Center:  http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/
wu-ftpd list archive:     http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/mail-archive/

There are additional security references in the above docs.

---

From: Koos van den Hout _U nix and we all_ <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 09:10:14 +0200 (MET DST)

> latest source of wu-ftpd.

What you want is the guestgroup access. This can be seen as a special
variant of anonymous access. So look up guestgroups in the FAQ and guest
howto. The URL's flew by in another message.

But, beware of the fact that each new rootdir needs it's own libs and
devices.

                                    Koos van den Hout

-- 
  Koos van den Hout,     Internetter, Unix freak, ISFJ and BBS SysOp at large
  [email-masked] (Work)  <-- finger -l for PGPkey      Fax: +31-30-2586290
  [email-masked] (Home)                      Workphone: +31-30-2586287
  http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/   Looking for a license plate with "RFC 822"
  Good relationships are like bad diseases : They happen to someone else