Subject: RE: wu-ftpd beta 13 doesn't allow DELETES and OVERWRITES?? (Reminder: Reply by e-mail please)

From: [email-masked] (Randy Bias)
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 17:14:33 -0700

Matt Emmerton says:
>Are you sure it's even reading the ftpaccess file?
>Starting with the beta-13, you have to specify -a on the command line to get it
>to read the ftpaccess file.

Good question.  It's been a while so I'd forgotten how I configured it.  The
answer is yes, I *am* using the -a option.  And I know it's reading the
ftpaccess file, because if I *move* it everything breaks.

Oh yeah, FYI, I'm doing my tests with "ftp localhost" and am not going through
a firewall or any kind of proxy.

Logging in as a regular user and trying to delete any file out of my home dir
gives me a "553 <file>: Permission denied. (Delete)"

Normal file perms on those files are fine.  I can manipulate them however I
want from the shell.

The way I read the ftpaccess(5) man page is that I could have NOTHING specified
for "delete", "overwrite", etc. and the default is yes.  I've tried this and
I still can't delete.  I've also commented out all of the default lines and
then just left one line like the following:

delete		yes		real

The way I read the man page this should explicitly give me write permissions,
correct?  It doesn't.

Very frustrated, but grateful for all of the responses so far...

--Randy

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 18 Sep 1997 18:15:08 GMT

Pink elephants with an attitude inspired Randy Bias <[email-masked]> to tell garfield.mail.wu-ftpd:
: Logging in as a regular user and trying to delete any file out of my home dir
: gives me a "553 <file>: Permission denied. (Delete)"

: delete		yes		real

Any chance there are controlcharacters in there by accident? Does it work
for the other stuff like overwrite? The files aren't mounted/linked from
somewhere else? Is the entry whitespace or tab-separated? The above one
has 2 tabs it seems?

Me, I have:
delete          no              guest,anonymous
(tab-separated) and it works just fine for b13.

-- 
Perry Rovers ([email-masked])