Subject: Re: List Noise Level

From: Brian Pape <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 1997 10:11:09 -0700

>I was accused of adding little more than noise to the list.  I don't
>pretend that the same info hasn't gone out over and over and over -- in
>response to the same questions being asked over and over and over. 
>
>If anyone has a good solution to answering the same questions without
>sending the same information, do it.  If anyone wants to recreate the same
>answers over and over again, do it.

Screw them...  Every time a question on the faq or guest howto is asked,
your response should be sent out.  It's not anyone's responsibility to
cut and paste out of man pages, faqs, or howtos just because the user
is to lazy to do it themselves.  A pointer to those resources is fine.

Brian Pape
Computer Resource Services
University California Los Angeles
[email-masked]

---

From: Kent Landfield <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 1997 12:35:27 -0500 (CDT)

Michael writes:

# >I was accused of adding little more than noise to the list.  I don't
# >pretend that the same info hasn't gone out over and over and over -- in
# >response to the same questions being asked over and over and over. 
# >
# >If anyone has a good solution to answering the same questions without
# >sending the same information, do it.  If anyone wants to recreate the same
# >answers over and over again, do it.

Brian responds:
# Screw them...  Every time a question on the faq or guest howto is asked,
# your response should be sent out.  It's not anyone's responsibility to
# cut and paste out of man pages, faqs, or howtos just because the user
# is to lazy to do it themselves.  A pointer to those resources is fine.

Brian is absolutely correct. Michael, do not stop responding to people's
questions.  People need answers and many are not permanent members of the
list but people in need.  You and Koos and many others have been trying to
help people get started. Your reference resource pointer is valuable as it 
directs people to search the right places.  Those that feel you are adding 
traffic to the list are dead wrong.  You are reducing the unnecessary
repeated threads and oldtimer versus newbie flame-wars.  It has helped
keep the list focused as one that assists new users to the right places
and allows for real discussions about ongoing improvements to WU-FTPD.  

Keep it up!

-- 
Kent Landfield                        Phone: 1-817-545-2502             
Email: [email-masked]             http://www.landfield.com/
Please send comp.sources.misc related mail to [email-masked].
Search the Usenet Hypertext FAQ Archive at http://www.faqs.org/faqs/