Subject: chroot FTP setup

From: Mail Lists <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 1997 12:45:39 -0700 (PDT)

Hi...I'm going through the FTP guest-howto at 
ftp://ftp.fni.com/pub/wu-ftpd/guest-howto using BSDI and it isn't working 
for me...I've created the directory structure like shown, setup the 
ftp passwd and group files, and in /etc/ftpaccess guest is in the first 
line there.  The guestgroup is www so in ~etc/group I added the user to 
the group www.  I ftp in and it responds like a normal FTP server not 
chrooted...can someone give me some advice please?  thanks....

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 1997 15:10:07 -0500 (CDT)

Sounds like you put the /./ chroot() stuff in the ~/etc/passwd????  The
chroot path and FTP group must go in /etc/passwd -- the real thing. 

   -- Michael

---

From: Mail Lists <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 1997 13:17:37 -0700 (PDT)

Hi...I've put the same entry in both /etc/passwd and the "local" copy.  
would guestgroup being set to www and in ftpaccess and the user not being 
in the www group in /etc/group have any effect?  what else could I be 
missing?  thanks....

---

From: Andrew Longsworth <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 1997 13:42:59 -0700

>for me...I've created the directory structure like shown, setup the

In BSDI (v 2.1 and 3.0) the FTP server is invoked from inetd. The command
line there is default to not read the configuration file. In order for the
server to even look at /etc/ftpaccess, you need to change the line in
/etc/inetd.conf to have a command switch of "-a" instead of "-A" and it
will work.

Don't forget that in BSDI 2.1 with a dynamically linked ls, you will need
~ftp/shlib/libc_s.2.1.0 in order for it to properly give you directory
listings.

Hope this helps,
Andrew

---

From: Mail Lists <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 1997 14:10:11 -0700 (PDT)

Hi...it is being launched with the -l and -a options.....I did put the 
shlib and contents in the directory....what else can I check?  thanks 
very much....