Subject: Guest account setup scripts

From: "Roger A. Hanke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 1997 15:19:30 -0400

Dear WUFTPD'ers,
 Have looked at a lot of setup scripts but they are all for anonymous accounts.
Realize this covers most of the same setup for guest class account, but 
a couple differences have been giving me problems. I presume that someone
out there....(big echo;-)   has done this so was hoping for some advice.

1) Need to actually set a passwd for the guest class account, where 
anonymous doesnt need one set. Problem is how to do this from a script,
preferably from Perl but ksh or sh would be fine ;^>
Cant get the UNIX passwd command on any flavors I have played with to
take program or file input so I can automate this step. Presume this is
security precaution, but is their some way to subvert this?

2) Thought I needed to add /./. to home directory in /etc/passwd file
after using adduser to create the guest class login. This is because adduser
wont accept a home directory argument with these trailing characters.
But it appears that I may not need to do this since I do want the guest
to be chrooted and to be logged into the home directory and this is the
default action? Is there any disadvantage to using what appears to be
the default action in all cases since this is what I setup with /./. anyway?

Any info or thoughts would be appreciated.
	Thanx,
	Roger A. Hanke