Subject: Re: last command

From: [email-masked] (Andy Church)
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 1997 22:08:51 EDT

>	I've had the WU ftpd installed for some time now and I just
>realized that the logging doesn't show up like the old ftp used to; I
>mean, Sun's Solaris ftpd adds lines to the wtmpx (which is read through
>the "last" command).

     Works fine on Linux--though Linux uses "wtmp" rather than "wtmpx";
maybe this is a wu-ftpd/Solaris configuration problem?

  --Andy Church                  | If Bell Atlantic really is the heart
    [email-masked]       | of communication, then it desperately
    www.dragonfire.net/~achurch/ | needs a quadruple bypass.

---

From: [email-masked] (William L. Sebok)
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 10:09:31 -0400 (EDT)

I waited because I thought someone else would answer this, but here goes ---

Eric Stewart <[email-masked]> mentioned that logging into
/var/adm/wtmpx did not work for him under Solaris 2.X.  He says:

> 	I checked the source; there's no mention of wtmpx, but lots of
> mention of wtmp (which is working, as far as I can tell; wtmp time stamp
> changes when someone logs in or out through ftpd).
> 	Something I omitted from my first message: OS: Solaris 2.5.1.
> WU-FTP version: 2.4.

He is running an old version of wu-ftpd.  I remember in the days I was running
wu-ftpd 2.4 that Caspar Dik had a patch on ftp.fwi.uva.nl to unable handling
of wtmpx.  The current version (wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-15, available from
ftp://ftp.academ.com/pub/wu-ftpd/private/wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-15.tar.Z) has
proper support for wtmpx builtin.  It is working fine for me (Solaris 2.5).

Bill Sebok      Computer Software Manager, Univ. of Maryland, Astronomy
	Internet: [email-masked]	URL: http://www.astro.umd.edu/~wls/

---

From: "Ben Newman" <[email-masked]>
Date: 15 Sep 1997 09:31 CDT

Am I missing something here, or do you have to make sure that there is a '-L' 
that appears in the inted.conf file to enable logging? My understanding was that
logging was disabled initally (default '-l') and you had to explicitly turn it
on.

You probably already did that: I just thought I would throw this at you to make
sure...

-Ben