Subject: Re: Another addition/question :)

From: [email-masked] (Andy Church)
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 1997 15:44:13 EDT

>Now that I think about it, for load limits, should it just be another
>option tacked onto the "limit" command, so that you can have different
>system load limits at different times of day?  Or should I add the time of
>day option to the load-limit instead?  Or does no one care? :)

     Well, I never see my load go over 3 or so, but I imagine on tighter
systems it could be useful.

>In addition, I just added time limits to wu-ftpd sessions and I thought
>you should know so no one else spends their time doing it :)  It has a
>line of the format "time-limit <class> <n> [allow]", where n is the time
>limit in seconds.  If the word "allow" is there, it will allow
>already-started transfers to continue over the time limit and cut them off
>once their transfer is complete.  Otherwise, it will simply disconnect the
>user mid-transfer.

     I suspect that would actually do more harm than good; people who want
to transfer lots of files will do it anyway, and if you cut off a transfer,
you lose that much more bandwidth when they try to transfer it again.  If
you're looking to keep people from hogging connections while they're idle,
try the -t and -T options (default and maximum idle timeout, respectively).

  --Andy Church                  | If Bell Atlantic really is the heart
    [email-masked]       | of communication, then it desperately
    www.dragonfire.net/~achurch/ | needs a quadruple bypass.

---

From: Phil Schwan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 1997 16:00:41 -0400 (EDT)

> try the -t and -T options (default and maximum idle timeout, respectively).

I was simply trying to get things on the TODO list done :)  It was listed
so...

Phil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
'The ultimate seal on any software product is not any sort of kite mark or
standards conformance certificate, it's that label that says, "Destruction
tested by Alan Cox.... Survived."' -- Clive Dolphin (3Com PDD)