Subject: Guest user setup

From: Dave Siltz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 15:55:08 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

I need to set up a temporary ftp user, who for several reasons cannot be
in the "real" group, but still needs access to our entire filesystem.  I
tries setting him up in a special group "web", listing the web group as
a guestgroup in my ftpaccess file, then using the string "/./home/webguy"
in my password file.  I thought this might fake out the code, chroot him
to /, then start him off in his home directory.  When I ftp'd in as this
user I got the dreaded "Can't set guest privileges" message.  So for now
he's just got "/" as his home directory, and everything is working, but
I'm still wondering if there was a better way to do this.

I'm running 2.4.2b13 with virtual server support.

--
Dave

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 21:22:06 -0500 (CDT)

> in the "real" group, but still needs access to our entire filesystem.  I

Then he is a real user, not a guest user. 

> a guestgroup in my ftpaccess file, then using the string "/./home/webguy"

Why not just set his path to "/home/webguy"?  After all, he's inherently
chrooted to /. :)  This will chdir him to that directory. 

> to /, then start him off in his home directory.  When I ftp'd in as this

For which you don't need "/./".

> I'm still wondering if there was a better way to do this.

Yup.

   -- Michael