Subject: RE: How to get chmod to work?

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 1997 13:49:54 -0500 (CDT)

I have little direct experience with 'site exec', but you may have to use
'quote site exec' in some cases.  I don't know why you have to do this in
some cases and not others. 

   -- Michael

On Wed, 3 Sep 1997, Pok Vic Sent wrote:

> Michael Brennen [SMTP:[email-masked]] wrote:
> >
> > Did you try putting chmod into ~/bin/ftp-exec, then use "site exec chmod
> > ???  file".  That has worked for me with the WS_FTP Windows client.
> 
> 	I found out that the reason for it not working was because the Windows95 
> FTP.exe and CUTEFTP (old version) did not support chmod even with site exec 
> chmod ??? file. I guess they did not comply properly with unix commands. After 
> installing WS-FTP, all is well and working. Thanks again!

---

From: Bob Luckin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 97 15:18:18 CDT

Michael Brennen said :-

> some cases and not others. 

I think you'll find that this is a client thing.  Some clients (eg. HP-UX)
do support the "site" command, whilst others (SunOS 4, Solaris 2) don't.
For those that don't, you can usually get round this by using "quote site"
instead.

Cheers, Bob
-- 
Bob Luckin      [email-masked]      "No lava sprawl warps Albion"