Subject: AIX config problems

From: "Ben Newman" <[email-masked]>
Date: 12 Sep 1997 10:12 EDT

There were some problems that I encountered when trying to compile for AIX. My
understanding is that this has been fixed in the *newest* release, but I thought
it might be worthwhile to mention the fix I made.

fnmatch.c does not compile due to undeclared identifiers. The problem is a 
conditional define in the preprocessor directives. It originally looked like 
there was a typo in

#ifndef _POSIX_SOURCE
#ifndef FNM_LEADIND_DIR
#define FNM_LEADING_DIR 0x08

I changed  FNM_LEADIND_DIR to FNM_LEADING_DIR (which only made sense to me, the
unitiated) but this got me nowhere. My system was still complaining about
FNM_LEADING_DIR and FNM_CASEFOLD bieng undefined. I tried defining them 
unconditionally, and voila! I have this nagging feeling that it was too easy, 
and it is going to bite me in the ass later, but hey:no problems so far...

As for installing wu-ftpd as a test daemon, I think it might be worthwhile to
have slightly better documentation per the building and installation. To those
of us who are unfamilar with Makefiles, it might be worthwhile to talk a little
about the changes that need to be made. Think about it: Who would install the 
test ftpd in the same places as the real ftpd? You kind of have to jump through
some hoops to get what you want, and it can be a pain if you are going it alone.

-Ben