Subject: Can't get file with a fully qualified path

From: Paul Lemman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 1997 13:38:33 -0700

I've got a problem with real and anonymous users not be able to
"get" a file when using a fully qualified path, e.g.:

get /pub/design/tmp/3d34

    however both real and anonymous users can do a "cd /pub/design/tmp"
then a "get 3d34" and retrieve the file.  The directory tree has read
and execute permission set for other (rwxr-xr-x) all the way down.  Any
ideas on what may be going on here?

Platform is Sun Ultra2, Solaris 2.5.1, wu-ftpd wu-2.4.2-academ[BETA-13].

--
================================================================
Name:   Paul Lemman
E-mail: Paul Lemman <[email-masked]>
Computer Services                    Voice: 503.685.1554
Mentor Graphics Corporation            Fax: 503.685.7840
PGP Key fingerprint =  5B 1C 73 C8 12 AB 6F E3  A9 69 81 6D 49 42 14 7A
================================================================

---

From: Bob Myers <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 1997 15:50:46 -0700

> Platform is Sun Ultra2, Solaris 2.5.1, wu-ftpd wu-2.4.2-academ[BETA-13].

Depending on the FTP client you use, the problem may be on the client
side.  Most UNIX ftp programs will attempt to store the 3d34 file in
/pub/design/tmp/3d34 on the local system when retreiving the file, for
example.  If there is no /pub/design/tmp directory on the local system,
it can fail with "permission denied" - but the permission that is denied
is for storage on the local system, not retrieval from the remote
system.

Usually "get /pub/design/tmp/3d34 3d34" will work, though, to store the
file in the current local directory.