Subject: Re:List Noise Level

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 1997 13:52:26 -0400

This hacks me off.  Not at Mike, but at the sender.  Seems there's always
somebody who wants to turn up the heat under the Goose that Lays the Golden
Eggs.  I saw the same thing happen at the Cincinnati Reds Spring Traiing
camp in Plant City, FL, a couple of years back.  Some of the players were
signing autographs after the practice, and this one guy who was either too
impatient or too arrogant to wait started banging on one of the players'
cars.  The player was out of there, and the fans were SOL.
I'm a relative newbie at this wu-ftpd thing myself, and there have been
times when I looked over the FAQ and the guest howto AND the archives and
thought the answers weren't there.  But, when Mike's pointed me to the FAQ
or the guest howto, he's been right.  'Nuff said.
---------------------- Forwarded by Dave Kroger/dmi on 09/26/97 01:36 PM
---------------------------

[email-masked] on 09/26/97 11:56:57 AM

Please respond to [email-masked]

To:   [email-masked]
cc:    (bcc: Dave Kroger/dmi)
Subject:  List Noise Level

I just got singed in private email for having sent the same unhelpful
response about guest howto, FAQ and list archives for the nth time.

The guest howto and FAQ were written precisely because of the frequency of
certain questions.  I wrote the guest howto over two years ago precisely
because guests were the single most common question on the list, and I got
tired of recreating the same responses over and over.  It is detailed and
takes time to answer.

The guest howto, FAQ and docs included in the distribution are the
essential starting points for anyone having trouble.  Anyone on this list
for some time can attest that the vast majority of questions are
answerable with the guest howto and FAQ.  The mailing list archives are
another excellent resource for filling in the holes.  If people are not
willing/able to go over the established docs first, I have absolutely
nothing to say.

If these resources are not well noted on the mailing list subscription,
they should be.  I've not subscribed in some time to see what is sent out.

If you find something in your situation that is not covered in the
commonly available docs, please work with the document author and get your
new info added in so others can benefit from it.

I was accused of adding little more than noise to the list.  I don't
pretend that the same info hasn't gone out over and over and over -- in
response to the same questions being asked over and over and over.

If anyone has a good solution to answering the same questions without
sending the same information, do it.  If anyone wants to recreate the same
answers over and over again, do it.

I've sent my last.

   -- Michael

---

From: "Michael Lightfoot" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 97 23:48:51 +1000

On Sat, 27 Sep 1997 14:06:19 +0200 (MET DST), Denis N. Antonioli wrote:

>---------------
>Before posting a question please check WU-FTPD assistance available via:
>
>  WU-FTPD Resource Center: http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/
>  unsubscribe ?:   Email 'unsubscribe WU-FTPD' to [email-masked] 
>---------------
>
Seconded.  This is the sort of thing that gets added to messages in a
couple of other lists I read and it doesn't bother me.

//------------------------------------------------------------------------
// michael			  			    Ph  +61 6 258 8185
//===============================			    Fax +61 6 258 1945
// Michael Lightfoot
// SysIX Unix Systems Consulting
// P.O. Box 155 
// CHARNWOOD, ACT 2615  AUSTRALIA	For ftp-related mail:
// [email-masked]			[email-masked]
// http://www.canb.auug.org.au/~michal