Subject: last command

From: Eric Stewart <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 1997 21:46:13 -0400 (EDT)

I've had the WU ftpd installed for some time now and I just
realized that the logging doesn't show up like the old ftp used to; I
mean, Sun's Solaris ftpd adds lines to the wtmpx (which is read through
the "last" command).
	Is this situation easily resolved?  Are there plans to modify this
behavior (or lack of) in future versions of the program?

Eric A. Stewart -Network Admin- Univ. of South Florida Library, Tampa
[email-masked] - What I say is usually just me babbling.
Works permanently in progress:    http://www.lib.usf.edu/
Everyone needs their own 'space': http://cerebus.lib.usf.edu/
"There is a fine line, between love and illusion--" 'Between the Sun and
	the Moon' by Rush.

---

From: Kent Landfield <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 1997 21:19:10 -0500 (CDT)

# 	I've had the WU ftpd installed for some time now and I just
# realized that the logging doesn't show up like the old ftp used to; I
# mean, Sun's Solaris ftpd adds lines to the wtmpx (which is read through
# the "last" command).
# 	Is this situation easily resolved?  Are there plans to modify this
# behavior (or lack of) in future versions of the program?

It is working just find here. I'm running Solaris 2.5.1 and have not had
a problem.  Is accounting turned on ? Does the /var/adm/wtmpx file exist ?
I don't remember doing anything special here...

-- 
Kent Landfield                        Phone: 1-817-545-2502             
The Landfield Group                   FAX:   1-817-545-7650             
Email: [email-masked]             http://www.landfield.com/
Please send comp.sources.misc related mail to [email-masked].
Search the Usenet Hypertext FAQ Archive at http://www.faqs.org/faqs/

---

From: Eric Stewart <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 07:22:09 -0400 (EDT)

> I don't remember doing anything special here...

	In answer to your questions, I'm not sure what you mean by
"accounting turned on" (forgive me, there are things I don't know about
Solaris admin).  And as for /var/adm/wtmpx, it exists, and last still
shows the log of people having logged into the machine regularly...just
not ftp (well, not when wu-ftp was installed, but it does for the few
times I ftp'd with the vendor provided ftpd).
	I checked the source; there's no mention of wtmpx, but lots of
mention of wtmp (which is working, as far as I can tell; wtmp time stamp
changes when someone logs in or out through ftpd).
	Something I omitted from my first message: OS: Solaris 2.5.1.
WU-FTP version: 2.4.