Subject: Keep timestamps when ftp'ing files

From: "WITTE, CLAUS" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 15:04:40 +0200

Hi everybody,

it's a simple question that I have, but simple questions are sometimes
hard ... :)

Is it possible to configure wu-ftpd and/or my ftp-client in that way,
that the
timestamp of a downloaded file is the same than the one of the original
file ?

I am using wu-ftpd Version wu-2.4.2-academ[BETA-13](1) on a HP K460
running HPUX 10.20 .

Thanks in advance
Claus

------------------------------------------------------------
Dipl.Ing. Claus Witte      Phone:  +49 (0)69 696 95497
Lufthansa Systems GmbH     FAX  :  +49 (0)69 696 95300
FRA AK/E-DS                SITA :  QLHIILH
Am Weiher 24               eMail:  [email-masked]
D-65451 Kelsterbach

---

From: Wilhelm Mueller <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 11:18:07 +0200 (MET DST)

On Thu, 1997-08-28 15:04:40 +0200, <[email-masked]>

 > timestamp of a downloaded file is the same than the one of the original

To retain  time stamps, the ftpd  must support the MDTM command (which
wu-ftpd does, aftpd doesn't), and your client must  use it. (You might
try something like  'quote HELP' to find  out what commands the server
knows about).

Usually,  clients either know about MDTM  and retain time stamps auto-
matically, or they don't and you won't have a  chance to convince them
to learn it.  Usually, your vendor's ftp doesn't know it, neither does
llnl-xftp, but ncftp does.

 -- Wilhelm

--

Every program has two purposes -- one for which it was written and
another for which it wasn't.

-- 

  ***************************************************
   Der Senator für Bau, Verkehr und Stadtentwicklung
   Referat 43            (Dienststelle Schlachte 32)
   Wilhelm Müller             Tel: +49-421-361-10629
   Ansgaritorstraße 2         Fax: +49-421-361-2295
   D-28195 Bremen, Germany

   Bits KeyID    Fingerprint
   2048 C2F0A2D1 B1452644 DEBB647F 94AA3DA9 01608E0A
   1024 9548B531 AE9AD94C 978ABC3F 4B25B52B 1E752137
    512 48B324ED 885C3131 DDF53740 DB7F9421 2A5431EE