Subject: guest login question

From: Brian Clare <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 09 Aug 1997 11:24:24 -0500

To the List:

I've tried to follow Michael Brennen's excellent outline for setting up
guest accounts, but am having problems logging in via ftp.  I've set the
password for the account in /etc/passwd.  Do I need the same password in
~/etc/passwd as well, or should it be left "*"?  I'm also using the
ftponly script (/bin/ftponly) as the shell on the account, and it's
listed in /etc/shells.

I'd appreciate any pointers.
-- 
Regards...

Brian Clare

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 1997 15:28:19 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 9 Aug 1997, Brian Clare wrote:

> ~/etc/passwd as well, or should it be left "*"?

It is not needed in ~/etc/passwd.

> I'm also using the

Are you using shadow passwords?  If so you may have to do a little
customization, depending on the version (at least I did). 

What are the specific failure messages?  You might take the failure
numbers and run them down in the source to see what causes the failure.

Go over the details of the guest howto very carefully; it only takes one
missed one to goof it up.

   -- Michael