Subject: Upload directive configuration

From: Ernest Mueller <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 10:23:17 -0500

OK, now I'm a little confused.  I just set up beta-13 here, and I want
to 
set up a bunch of client accounts as guestgroup'ed ftp directories.

I set them up - so far, so good.  Now, I want the users to be able to
upload to everything in the ~ftp/docs and ~ftp/cgi-bin directories with
the incoming files getting chowned/chgrped - but not be able to upload
to ~ftp/bin, ~ftp/etc, ~ftp/lib, etc.

So from the template ftpaccess file I set up the following for user
acce:

guestgroup acce

upload  /disk2/www/acce *           no
upload  /disk2/www/acce /docs       yes     acce    acce    dirs
upload  /disk2/www/acce /cgi-bin    yes     acce    acce    dirs

Well, this allows the user to upload to docs and cgi-bin all right - but
not to any subdirectories.  I tried adding

upload  /disk2/www/acce /docs/*     yes     acce    acce    dirs

and that gets them down 1 level, but not to subdirectories of those,
etc.

I guess I was interpreting this format to mean that subdirectories
inherited the paret's permissions - but this is apparently not the case.

How can I do this without 20 lines in the ftpaccess file for each
guestgrouped user?

Thanks,
Ernest
-- 
Ernest C. Mueller                                [email-masked]
Webmaster                                        Phone: (901) 251-7000
Towery Publishing                                http://www.towery.com