Subject: Academ version of wu-ftpd 2.4 Release 2 Beta 14 available for testing

From: [email-masked] (Stan Barber)
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 18:37:21 -0500 (CDT)

BETA 14 is now available. It has been tested on the following systems:

Solaris 2.4 Sparc and x86, Solaris 2.5.1 x86, SunOS 4.1.4, Unixware 2.1,
FreeBSD 2.2.2-RELEASE, BSD/OS 1.1, BSD/OS 2.1, BSD/OS 3.0, SCO Open Server 5, 
Linux 1.3.39 and 2.0.X.

I would like to hear from folks with access to HP-UX, Digital Unix, IRIX
and AIX in particular. Please send mail to the [email-masked]
address.

If hardware companies wish to donate equipment running their proprietary
UNIX derivatives to me for doing maintenance work on this and the other
packages I maintain (NNTP, RN, etc), please contact me directly to discuss.

If software companies that sell UNIX derivatives I don't to which I don't
have access wish to donain copies of their UNIX derivative to me for the
purposes of doing maintenace work on this and the other packages I maintain,
please contact me directly to discuss.

Finally, my thanks to Ian Willis with SCO for his assistance in reviewing
pre-releases of this software.

This is another release candidate. 

The location is: 
	ftp://ftp.academ.com/pub/wu-ftpd/private/wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-14.tar.Z

NOTE: This directory is protected. Attempts to use a directory listing 
command will fail.

You can also check http://www.academ.com/academ/wu-ftpd for more information.

                   -0-FIXES IN THIS RELEASE-0-

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I edited the INSTALL, README and NOTES documents in an attempt to make them
clearer. I had a number of questions about "-a" and /etc/inetd.conf. People
evidently don't read the README file very closely, so now I have put this
information in more places than just the NOTES file. Hopefully that will
stop most of these types of questions.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mark Galbraith noted a Y2K compliance problem in ftpcmd.y where the year
would always be printed as 19XX. This is now fixed. Unfortunately, it appears
that noone opened a ticket on this one that I can find. This came from the
mailing list. I believe that wu-ftpd is as Y2K compliant as it can be with
this fix.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 125 from Marc Slemko <[email-masked]> points up a problem with the
dependencies on vers.c that are not uniform in all makefiles and can cause
problems with certain versions of make. This is now resolved. All makefiles
for all operating systems supported in this distribution now have an
explict dependency that should cause newvers.sh to be run if yacc was 
successful in building ftpcmd.c from ftpcmd.y. It will also properly
stop attempting to compile anyting (other than ckconfig) until this problem
is fixed by the user. This can usually be done by being sure yacc is installed
and in the user's PATH.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 164 from Ian Willis <[email-masked]> points up a bug in the SITE CHMOD
command that would cause the server to send two replies in some cases. This
could confuse some FTP clients (and is a violation of protocol anyway). This
should have been in beta-13, but I missed it somehow. It is in beta-14.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 170 from Volker Schmidt <[email-masked]> offered
some changes to the Linux configuration and Makefiles. I have integrated 
these changes. They have been tested on Slackware Linux 2.3, RedHat 3.0.3
and RedHat 4.0.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tickets 173 from Albert Lunde <[email-masked]> and 175 from David 
Capshaw <[email-masked]> suggested that a define (HAVE_GETRLIMIT)
be added to the config.hpx for HP-UX 10.10. This has been done, but I have no
idea if it will help. I don't have HP-UX to test this on.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tickets 188 and 299 from Andrey A. Chernov <[email-masked]> notes that FreeBSD
uses <sys/mount.h> for file system information used by the %F macro. This is
included in this release.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 210 from Wilhelm Mueller <[email-masked]> suggested
that getdatasock should return the errno to the caller that caused the
socket call to fail (as opposed to anything else that happens in that
routine). I agree. He also suggested that RMD and DELE should both check
permissions before attempting to do anything. I also agree. These changes
are in this release.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tickets 221 from Luc Lalonde <[email-masked]>, 332 from Andrew
Siegele <[email-masked]> and 333 from Tim Wicinski <[email-masked]>
reminded me of problems some releases of IRIX had with the installation script
I supply here in the distributions. I think I have addressed these problems
now.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 225 from Sergey Zhuk <[email-masked]> offered some fixes to
the xferstats script that would make it work when the log involves timestamps
from two years.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 237 from Ian Willis <[email-masked]> suggested another fix for access.c
and ftpcount.c that addresses a problem in a bug fix in beta-13 that kept 
access limits involving days other than Any from being enforced. This fix is
included in this release.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 238 from Ian Willis <[email-masked]> suggested another fix for popen.c
to keep it from overflowing the argv buffer and from freeing space that
was not allocated for that same argv buffer. This fix has been included
in this release.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 239 from Ian Willis <[email-masked]> offered a fix for ftpcmd.y where
there is a one-off error in checking the length of a string. This is fixed
in this release. Ian also suggested a use of snprintf which was also
suggested in ticket 249. This change was included with the rest of the
fixes in 249.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 241 from Ian Willis <[email-masked]> pointed out that the \r\n is no
longer passed to setproctitle since beta-13, so it does not need to
attempt to strip. This change has been encorporated into this release.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tickets 244, 246, 327, 329, 340, 354, 358, 359, 404 and 407 noted that I had 
made a mistake in the Makefile for the suppport libraries for AIX. I had put
snprintf.c in the OBJS line where it should have been snprintf.o. There was a
similiar problem in the Makefile for the server itself where I put sigfix.c in
the OBJS line instead of sigfix.o. This last one whas benign since most
compilier can cope with source file in the compile step if the result is an
executable. These problems were reported by these users: [email-masked],
[email-masked], [email-masked],[email-masked],
[email-masked],[email-masked],[email-masked],[email-masked],
[email-masked],[email-masked]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 247 from Ian Willis <[email-masked]> pointed out an error in how 
the instructions in ftpaccess are processed with respect to the compress
and tar keywords. Once any class is permitted to use them, then all classes
are. He provides a fix for this that is included in this release.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tickets 248 from Alain Magloire <[email-masked]>, 295 from
Alan J Rosenthal <[email-masked]>, 341 from Roger K. Winters 
<[email-masked]>, 347 from Eric Myers <[email-masked]>, 370 from P. 
Kearney III <[email-masked]>, 375 from Marty Schultz 
<[email-masked]>, 380 from Randall S. Winchester 
<[email-masked]>, 381 from Dale Ghent <[email-masked]>, 396 from 
Bob Beck <[email-masked]>, 398 from  Shoichi Shibata
<[email-masked]>, 409 from Paul Southworth <[email-masked]>,
and 411 from Chun-Hsiung Chiu <[email-masked]> note various problems
with compling wu-ftpd 2.4.2 beta 13 on SunOS 4.1.X machines. 

One problem is with snprintf.c in the support library. On some versions of 
SunOS 4.X, the size_t typedef is not pulled in with the include directives 
that are there. I have modified snprintf.c to include <stdlib.h> when an 
ANSI C compilier is used and <sys/types.h> when one is not used. Hopefully, 
that will catch a size_t definition. If not, let me know, but do be sure to 
include what OS release and what compiler you are using. Additionally, I 
had left "const" definitions in places where non-ANSI C compilers would 
encounter them. I have removed those.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tickets 249 from Alain Magloire <[email-masked]> suggested
that snprintf should be used now that there is good one for those systems
that don't have it in the support library and for those that do have snprintf,
it should be used where controlling the length of things is important. To
that end a number of changes have been made in ftpd.c to use snprintf more
widely.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 250 from Aidas Kasparas <[email-masked]> provided some code to
deal with expired logins (when shadow passwords are used). This code is
included in this release.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 253 from Ian Willis <[email-masked]> pointed out that ftpconversions 
and ftpgroup parsing was in a sad state. He offers a number of patches to
fix the problems (some of which could cause bad things to happen if the
these files were formatted badly). These fixes are included in this release.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 257 from George Staikos <[email-masked]> suggested that the
default umask be 022 instead of 002. I agree. This change has been made for
this release.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 267 from Frank Mogaddedi <[email-masked]> suggested
that SPT_TYPE should be SPT_NONE for SGI IRIX to insure that the time stamps
on things didn't get set to GMT. This change has been made, but is untested
since I have no SGIs to test on. This will hopefully address the problem
as it was reported as a bug in ticket 209 by Phil Ritzenthaler
<[email-masked]>, ticket 218 from Chris Brown 
<[email-masked]>, ticket 271 by Wayne Rosen 
<[email-masked]> and ticket 356 from Tom Brister 
<[email-masked]>.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 276 from Ian Willis <[email-masked]> point out a logic problem when
the socket call fails when trying to open a data socket. The close() was
being made anyway and this would generate a "bad file number" error since
the socket never was opened. This is fixed in this release.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 277 from Valter Cavecchia <[email-masked]> suggested
that HAVE_STATVFS should be defined in the SGI IRIX configuration file.
It is now. I have no way to know if this is correct. Hopefully others will
let me know. 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 285 from Miguel Mena <[email-masked]> suggested that a note be
placed in the NOTES file about Digital Unix and C2 security. This has been
done.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 289 from Ueber Sheep <[email-masked]> points up
a problem when %U is used in a banner prior to the user performing a login.
Before beta 14, this could cause a segmentation violation. Now, it will
cause %U to print "[unknown]" since login has not been done as yet.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 294 from Alan Wyskowski <[email-masked]> suggested that the
arguments for select() under HPUX may not have the same types as those
found on other systems. I have encorporated his change, though I have no
way to test it since I don't have an HPUX systems.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 297 from Andrey A. Chernov <[email-masked]> suggested a small change
to newvers.sh to make it more POSIX compliant without affecting its operations
on non-POSIX systems. It is included in this release.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 298 from Andrey A. Chernov <[email-masked]> notes that the configuration
for FreeBSD support dirent.h and that sys/dir.h is being phased out. A change
to the FreeBSD configuration header file has been made to use dirent.h in
this release.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 302 from Ian Willis <[email-masked]> and ticket 307 from Pierre Belanger
<[email-masked]> both noted problems when processing the %E macro.
It becomes evident with the %E macro is used twice in an extended message.
The entry information is not reset between calls. This can cause information
to be printed twice. This is fixed in this release.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 304 from Gustavo Zacarias <[email-masked]> suggested some
changes for C2 security with Digital Unix 4.X. These changes are made to the
Digital Unix configuration. C2 is on by default. "./build dec" to get this.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tickets 308 and 311 from  from Philippe Langlois 
<[email-masked]> suggested that /usr/ucb/installbsd be used
for installation on OSF/1. This has been done for this release.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 309 from P Kern <[email-masked]> suggested that the passive
subroutine might be vunerable to attack because a user could attempt to
start a passive connection without doing a login first. This is now checked
in the passive connection.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 312 from Philippe Langlois <[email-masked]> suggested
that a note be added to NOTES file about the conflict between using Virtual
FTP and TCPWrappers. It has been included.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 315 from George H Richmond <[email-masked]> reports a bug
in some of the debugging code where syslog is called without a printf
format string. This causes the daemon to crash on some operating environments.
This is fixed in this release.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tickets 319 from Are Bryne <[email-masked]> suggested some cleanups in
the ftpaccess file in the doc/examples directory. This has been done for
this release.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tickets 320 from Are Bryne <[email-masked]>, 388 from SethMeister G. 
<[email-masked]> and 394 from Perry Rovers <[email-masked]> 
pointed out an error in the ftpaccess.5 man page concerning the path-filter
example. This is fixed in this release.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 323 from David Capshaw <[email-masked]> points out
a problem in realpath that is exposed when it is called with a rooted
path. It could attempt to access an uninitialized location. His fix has
been encorporated into this release.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 325 from Alain Magloire <[email-masked]> suggested
that the argv array be zeroed out before loading it. He also suggested a fix
to insure that we didn't spill off the end of the argv array when filling it.
This fix is included in this release.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 343 from Ian Willis <[email-masked]> contains a number of fixes
for various memory leaks in the glob routines as well as some logic problem
in the processing of the ABOR verb. These fixes are included in this release.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 344 from Farhad Anklesaria <[email-masked]> suggested a
number of changes to the makefiles for A/UX. They are included in this 
release.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tickets 349 from John F. Woods <[email-masked]> notes that
there are a number of places in the software that are attempting to print
out off_t values using printf selectors that can't handle the size. He
suggests that these values be cast to fix. I have included his patch, but
I intend to revamp this totally after this software goes to release.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tickets 350 from Gunnar Helliesen <[email-masked]> and 379 from Randall
S. Winchester <[email-masked]> notes that there is a benign syntax problem
in access.c. This might cause some compilers to generate a warning. This has 
been fixed in this release.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 360 from Bas Meijer <[email-masked]> suggested a way to
setup the "chroot" directory for wu-ftpd on IRIX. This has been included in
the NOTES.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 361 from Timothy J. Luoma <[email-masked]> suggested that HAVE_REGEX_H
be removed from the NeXTStep 3.X configuration. This has been done.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 362 from Philip Kearney III <[email-masked]> noted that the
"deny" keyword when followed with a domainname glob did not work. An IP 
address or address glob does work on SunOS 4.1.X machines. This turns out to
be an issue only if you are not running yp or if yp is not able to access DNS.
To address this, I have added -lresolv to the SunOS 4.1 makefile. This can
be removed if you are running yp with DNS enabled.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 365 from Ian Willis <[email-masked]> offered some fixes to make some
of the 5XX responses associated with failed logins comply with RFC 959
and correct some logic that would cause the server to send two responses
to a client when passwd-check is used and the user failed to enter a
"valid" password when logging in anonymously. These fixes are included in
this release.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 368 from Ian Willis <[email-masked]> suggested that a change made during
the release of beta 12 changed how the upload option did filename matching to
make it non-intuitive. This change has been reversed. He also offered a change
to how the upload directive is parsed so that "no dirs" does allow directories
to be created and "no some-other-string" does not. Previously it didn't work
this way.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 378 Michael Brennen <[email-masked]> suggested that it's easy for
folks to get confused setting up the anonymous login and use the /./ suffix
on the home directory like that used for guestgroup. When done, it will make
other functions (like upload) in the ftpaccess fail to work. He has suggested
that processing of the two be done alike. He also supplied a nice patch. It
is included in this release. This could be argued as a bug fix or an
enhancement. Oh well.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 386 from Wyman Eric Miles <[email-masked]> reported a problem
attempting to compile beta-13 with the Bellcore skey library. That's because
it doesn't compile with that version. The version needed is the one from
the logdaemon suite by Wietse Venema. I am updating the documentation to
make this clear.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 387 from Alexander <[email-masked]> suggested that using the
/var/tmp directory for storing the pids is a bad idea. I agree. All 
configurations have been changed not to do this. This was really only an
issue on System V systems and older BSD systems.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 393 from Eli-Jean Leyssens <[email-masked]> pointed
out another possible problem with ABOR verb processing with OOB data. This
fix is included in this release.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 399 from Vadim M. Sapiro <[email-masked]> pointed out a problem
with Solari 2.5.1 libraries when used in chrooted mode along with a 
dynamically linked "ls". Sun has assigned a bugid for this problem.
See the NOTES file for more on this.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 400 from  Luc Beurton <[email-masked]> reports that NetBSD/sparc 
uses an int64_t for that stbuf.st_size. This means that %qu should be used
for a sprintf selector instead of %lu.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 403 from Rob Nichols <[email-masked]> suggested some changes
to facilitate compilation on AIX. These changes are included in this release.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 415 from Andy Church <[email-masked]> suggested that the
dependency on libc in the makefile for Linux be removed. I have done so.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 417 from Ian Willis <[email-masked]> noted that getspnam on Unixware 
2.1 is not NIS aware, so the password read from the password file should not
be overwritten should the call fail. This fix is included here.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 420 from Mike Handley <[email-masked]> has reported
a problem in beta 13 under Unixware 2.1. Ian Willis has provided the
fix in Ticket 423 which is included in this release.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 421 from Ernest Mueller <[email-masked]> supplied a number
of suggestions for making wu-ftpd install smootly on IRIX 6.3. I have included
these suggestions in this release.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 423 from Ian Willis <[email-masked]> noted that when wu-ftpd is used on
Unixware, readdir in glob.c would not work as expected since the version
picked up during the link is the one from the ucb library, not the regular
C library. He suggested changing the UnixWare Makefile to link the regular C
libarary before the ucb library. This has been done for this release.

---

From: Michael Finken <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 1997 10:51:40 +0200 (MET DST)

Hello,

>       ftp://ftp.academ.com/pub/wu-ftpd/private/wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-14.tar.Z

Is there a special reason why you don't use gzip?  Compressed with gzip -9
the wu-ftpd archive is 176k instead of 285k.  

Gzip is available for free and for everything, except toasters and coffee 
makers :-)

Bye,
Michael

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Michael Finken                                NENTEC Netzwerktechnologie GmbH
Tel.:  +49 721 9495-0                         76227 Karlsruhe/Germany
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Sometimes the last thing you wanna know is the truth.  -- Roger Taylor

---

From: Kent Landfield <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 1997 08:00:28 -0500 (CDT)

# Is there a special reason why you don't use gzip?  Compressed with gzip -9
# the wu-ftpd archive is 176k instead of 285k.  
# 
# Gzip is available for free and for everything, except toasters and coffee 
# makers :-)

I suspect it is because gzip doesn't come native to the platforms and compress
does.  Why require someone to get addidional software just to unpack an archive
when you can use what is available right out of the box... ;-)  That said, it
might be nice to have a copy both in .Z and .gz formats for retrieval.  Not that
big a deal though. ;)

-- 
Kent Landfield                        Phone: 1-817-545-2502             
The Landfield Group                   FAX:   1-817-545-7650             
Email: [email-masked]             http://www.landfield.com/
Please send comp.sources.misc related mail to [email-masked].
Search the Usenet Hypertext FAQ Archive at http://www.faqs.org/faqs/