Subject: wu-ftpd won't log

From: Michael Helm <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 1997 20:31:35 -0700

I'm running wu-2.4.2-academ[BETA-12] on  OSF1 V2.0.

Yes, I know these are archaic (dangerously so).  But political
problems and priorities prevent me from changing this.

Someone put beta12 on this machine because of the security
issues 6 mos back or so.  But it doesn't log, & things have happened
that make us wish it did.  What's wrong?  It used to log, pre beta-12.

The binary has a reference to /usr/local/logs/xferlog in it.
But nothing ever gets written to that.  It never seems to write
anything to facility daemon in syslog, either.  Where's all the
stuff going?   I don't have much of a programming environment on
this old machine so i haven't been able to grab a running binary
to find out what it's doing.  It's started with options -l -L -i -o.
ftpaccess has
log commands real,anonymous,guest
log transfers anonymous,real,guest inbound,outbound

What else can I do or fix?  

Thanks, ==mwh
Michael Helm
ESnet/LBNL

---

From: Michael Helm <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 1997 20:57:13 -0700

> I'm running wu-2.4.2-academ[BETA-12] on  OSF1 V2.0.

I neglected to mention that the recommendations in the faq
(about syslog on osf/1) have been followed.  We think.