Subject: not your standard 0.0.0.0,20 error

From: Carlos Canau <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 18:39:32 +0100 (WET DST)

Hi!
	
	I'm having a problem. Hope that someone can help.
	
	System is Solaris 2.5.1 with a couple of patches applied (mostly
	security). I'm using wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-13 and I've stumble into
	the 0.0.0.0,20 error (the list archive is full with people
	saying /dev/tcp should be 0666 :( No help, of course). The ftpd
	server can't open /dev/tcp, not just ls (static and dynamic) but any
	get and put. The truss output for the open failure:
	
	open("/dev/tcp", O_RDWR)                        Err#6 ENXIO
	
	Now if I do a chroot ~ftp /bin/ls.static it works but if I do a:
	
	truss -f chroot ~ftp /bin/ls.dynamic 2>&1 | less
	
	I get:
	
	execve("bin/ls.dynamic", 0xEFFFFC5C, 0xEFFFFC64)  argc = 1
	open("/dev/zero", O_RDONLY)                     Err#6 ENXIO
	open("/dev/zero", O_RDONLY)                     Err#6 ENXIO
	...repeat until segmentation violation...

	ENXIO from the open(2):

     ENXIO               The named file is a character special or
                         block special file, and the device asso-
                         ciated with this special file  does  not
                         exist.

                         O_NDELAY or O_NONBLOCK is set, the named
                         file  is a FIFO, O_WRONLY is set, and no
                         process has the file open for reading.

                         A STREAMS module or driver open  routine
                         failed.

	/dev/tcp exists on ~ftp:

	$ ls -lL ~ftp/dev/
	crw-rw-rw-   1 root     sys       13,   2 Aug  4 12:51 null
	crw-rw-rw-   1 root     other     11,  42 Aug  4 16:38 tcp
	crw-rw-rw-   1 root     other    105,   1 Aug  4 16:38 ticotsord
	crw-rw-rw-   1 root     other     11,  41 Aug  4 16:38 udp
	crw-rw-rw-   1 root     other     13,  12 Aug  4 16:38 zero
	
	And, yes, I've run the script to build up ~ftp/etc (with
	netconfig et al.), and /usr, and...
	
	So my bet is for a STREAMS module or driver failure...

	Does anyone have a clue that can help ??
	
 	</canau