Subject: /bin/false ?

From: Brian Clare <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 21:10:04 -0500

When setting up a guest account, and limiting access to ftp only and
then only to their home directory, is there any reason I shouldn't use
/bin/false for the login shell?  I've tried to use /bin/ftponly, but
keep getting bad shell warnings.  I do have it listed in /etc/shell.

Seems to work fine when I have /bin/false in /etc/passwd and
/bin/ftponly in ~etc/passwd.
-- 
Regards...

Brian Clare
Porte Communications

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 21:22:52 -0500 (CDT)

/etc/shell or /etc/shells?  /etc/shells is the correct name, but mabye
just didn't spell it right in this mail. 

   -- Michael

---

From: Alan Halachmi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 21:36:54 -0500 (CDT)

When creating a user, many UNIX platforms require that the shell given to
the user at creation time, be real shells.  However, you can make a script
to execute usermod -s /etc/ftponly  is you want to change the shell.

Here's what my /etc/ftponly file looks like:

/usr/bin/echo "Interactive Logon Not Allowed."

Hope this helps,
Alan

Alan Halachmi, Head of Internet Services
Solaris Administrator/ Web Design
Montgomery Bell Academy
mailto:[email-masked]	http://www.montgomerybell.com