Subject: Status of Beta-14

From: [email-masked] (Stan Barber)
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 05:04:21 -0500 (CDT)

I am delighted to announce that this is the last delay announcement I am
sending about BETA-14 before its long awaited release. It shall release
on or before August 15. I have spent alot of time trying to go through
all the  relevant tickets. I have closed all those that I could
not reproduce or looked to be pilot error on behalf of the submittor.

I have addressed those that are bug fixes. There are around 65 bug fixes
in this release to date. I have a few more tickets to check out that 
have to do with Solaris 2.5.1 (to which I now have access) and then I will
be able to release the softare.

I have cached those that are feature enhancement suggestions. Those will
appear on a new web page that will be for release 2.5.  I will need the
user community to review these suggestions and prioritize the ones I don't
have strong feelings about for me. This will set the stage for the first
release of 2.5.

Here is the penultimate version of CLOSED-TICKETS-14.

-----
CLOSED-TICKETS (BETA 14)

This note contains a summary of all tickets closed before the release of beta 
14. Most of these were not bug reports. Some are questions that were
answered in the documentation or the various FAQs. Some were bug reports
about previous beta releases that have already been fixed in the latest
beta (13). A few were complaints about some fundamental design decisions
made when wu-ftpd was created. Some were questions I did answer and have
closed. Some were notes about successful compliations of beta 13 or beta 12
on platforms to which I have not access. Some were offers of patches that
never materialized.

In any case, they are all closed. They are not relevant to beta 14 or any
future release. If you don't see that your ticket number is mentioned here
and it was not mentioned as being a closed ticket or bug fix in the beta 13
distribution, you should assume it is open. Some of these open tickets will 
be closed as bug fixes. A few will remain open as they are feature 
enhancements. These feature enhancements will be discussed on this list
when I am ready to start outlining the details of release 2.5.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 7 from Fredrik Nyman <[email-masked]> concerns problems
making the ftpaccess file work on IRIX 5.3. I can't reproduce this since
I don't have access to IRIX and other who do don't report this as being
a problem. My guess is that there is no "-a" at the end of the /etc/inetd.conf
line for starting ftpd. [I should have closed this sooner, but didn't.]
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 9 from Frank Jacquette <[email-masked]> reports a problem
compiling 2.4.2 on AIX. This problem is known to have been addressed on or
before beta 13 so this ticket is closed.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 25 from Craig Rodrigues <[email-masked]> asks if beta-11 supports
C2. The answer is probably, but I don't have anyway to know if it works for
sure. This ticket is closed.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 34 from Jan Prikryl <[email-masked]> offered to send 
some changes relevant to IRIX 6.2, but never sent them. I have closed this 
ticket. However, I do hope he will send the patches along.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 39 from Nathan Neulinger <[email-masked]> concerns a problem
with signal 10 aborts on HP/UX. I believe this problem was fixed in beta 13.
I am closing this ticket since I can't reproduce his problem without access
to HP/UX.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 44 from Gildas Perrot <[email-masked]>reports a problem with
beta-11 involving HP/UX 10.10. I don't have access to this, so I can't
diagnose it. This ticket is closed.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 48 from Scott Mulligan <[email-masked]> was a request to
talk to me about something. We never made contact. He didn't acknowledge
my followup message. I am closing this ticket.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 53 from Steve Doty <[email-masked]> claimed to have problems
using the betas and the guestgroup function. His message was not clear on
exactly what the problem was, but never answered my request for more
information. I am closing this ticket.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 63 from Gildas Perrot <[email-masked]> suggests that the fields
from ftpwho should be documented on the man page. While this is a resonable
suggestion, it can't be done for all architectures since the output of ftpwho
is just an excerpt of the ps command. This ticket is closed.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 64 from Gildas Perrot <[email-masked]> reports a bug with the
"site chmod" command in beta-11. I can't reproduce it in beta-13, so I
am closing this ticket.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 68 from <[email-masked]> was not a bug report but a request for
more assistance in understanding how virtual ftp support works on wu-ftpd.
This ticket is closed since it is not a bug report.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 78 from Stephen Cliffe <[email-masked]> reported a 
problem using "ls" under wu-ftpd on Solaris 2.5. I can't reproduce this
under Solaris 2.4 or Solaris 2.5.1, so I am closing this ticket.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tickets 89 and 91 from  Sam Hulick <[email-masked]> reported a problem using
"ls -l"  with wu-ftpd but did not identify the platform. He did not respond
to my requests for more information, so I am closing this ticket.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 93 from Ricardo Malta <[email-masked]> reported a problem
using ls on beta 10 under AIX. Others have reported success doing this, but
unfortunately, I have no AIX to work with so I can reproduce this. I have
closed this ticket.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 99 from  Becki Kain <[email-masked]> offered some 
suggeestions for the configuration of wu-ftpd on Digital Unix. These changes
were already included in beta 13. This ticket is closed.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 101 from Ian Willis <[email-masked]> askes about the use of "user@" and 
"user@host" conventions for anonymous ftp. This is not a bug report.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 104 from Tim Hogard <[email-masked]> suggested that using
a default salt of "xx" might possibly be exploited when attempting to login
via the server. I don't know of a senario given the logic in the software
in which this might be true. Perhaps someone can provide one. In the meantime,
I am closing this ticket.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 116 from James Ford <[email-masked]> offers to compile wu-ftpd
on some AIX machines. This is not a bug report. However, I would welcome
any reports concerning AIX compliations.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tickets 127, 171 & 240 from Becki Kain <[email-masked]> offers to 
compile wu-ftpd on Digital Unix 4.0. This is not a bug report. However, I 
would welcome any reports concerning Digital Unix compliations. So, Becki,
go ahead and compile away. Send me a report after you do it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 128 from Bernhard Rosenkraenzer <[email-masked]> reports
that ftpaccess is not being seen on Linux. However, he does not provide
any information concerning the /etc/inetd.conf line for starting ftpd.
Since I can't reproduce this bug on Linux, this ticket is closed.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 142 from Furio Ercolessi <[email-masked]> reported a problem under
HPUX with user accounts that have passwords less than 8 characters in length.
I don't have access to HPUX, so I can't check this, but I could not
reproduce it on other operating systems I do have access to. So, I am
closing this ticket. If someone can help this guy out, I would appreciate
a copy of the message concerning the resolution.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 144 from  Andrew Ford <[email-masked]> reported a bug in
beta-11 that I can't produce in beta 13. It concerned the use of the dirs
and nodirs option in different upload commands in the ftpaccess file. He 
said that they interfered with each other.  Since I can't produce it in
beta 13, this ticket is closed.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tickets 147 and 154  from Alan Halachmi <[email-masked]> reported
that in beta-11 there was a problem with guestgroups, chroot and virtual ftp
servers. He claimed that chroot didn't work when connecting via virtual ftp.
I can't reproduce this with beta-13, so I am closing these tickets.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 148 from Ian Willis <[email-masked]> suggested a modification for Beta 12 
that was already added, but I apparently didn't notice his ticket until this 
go round. Since this issue has been addressed, the ticket is closed. [The 
change was specific for SCO 5 and concerned defining SIGURG as SIGUSR1.]
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 149 from Jon Lewis <[email-masked]> reported a problem with
beta-11 and virtual FTP configured that caused it to abort. I could not 
reproduce this with beta-13.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 150 from [email-masked] offers to compile wu-ftpd
on some AIX machines. This is not a bug report. However, I would welcome
any reports concerning AIX compliations.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 151 from [email-masked] (Marek Michalkiewicz)
reported a bug in Virtual Root processing that has been fixed prior to beta 
14 release. The bug in attempting to reuse space allocated to pw->pw-dir
instead of freeing and resizing it to a size that can hold the virtual root
directory. This ticket is closed.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 153 from Perry Rovers <[email-masked]> suggested that it
was a bad idea to install the example files. He said that the FreeBSD install
did this, but under beta-13, it did not, so I am closing this ticket.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 158 from Peter Bivesand <[email-masked]> and ticket 223 from Raewyn
Brundell <[email-masked]> reported a problem with beta-12 on OSF/1.
This problem is known to be fixed in beta-13. These tickets have been closed.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 172 from Thomas Cornwell <[email-masked]> reported
problems building a version of wu-ftpd on HPUX 10.2. As I don't have access
to HP-UX, I can't debug this problem, so I am closing this ticket.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 174 from Jay Schudter <[email-masked]> noted that beta 12 compiled fine
on AIX 4.1.5. This is not really a bug report, but I do appreciate hearing
from folks who are able to get it to work on systems I have no access to.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 176 from Danielle Hopkins <[email-masked]> report that
compiling beta 12 on Digital Unix 3.2 with enhanced security is not working.
I believe this issue was resolved in beta 13.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 177 from Paul Reece <[email-masked]> and 195 from Gregory 
Youngblood <[email-masked]> claims that beta-12 would not correctly do
guest users, logging them instead as standard users. I can't produce this on
beta-13 so, I am closing these tickets.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 198 from Ian Willis <[email-masked]> suggested a modification for Beta 12 
concering the form of the ps command used in ftpwho and ftpcount. Since I
reversed the change in beta-13, the problem that this addresses no longer
exists. This ticket is closed.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 199 from Roman Gnatenko <[email-masked]> reported that "cd ~" did not
work in version 2.4. It does work fine in beta-13, so this ticket is closed.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 200 from  Alvaro Fdez Lago <[email-masked]> reports 
success building beta-12 without changes. This is not a bug report, but
I do appreciate getting these types of messages.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 202 from  Andrew Maltsev <[email-masked]> reported the duplicate printf
selector when a bad shell reply was going to be made. This was fixed before
beta-14 and is now closed.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 213 from Randall J. Wormser <[email-masked]> didn't read
the NOTES file concerning the use of "-a" in /etc/inetd.conf in order to
get ftpd to use the ftpaccess file and the various enhancements.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 214 from  Michael Marxmeier <[email-masked]> noted a number of 
problems with beta 12 with HP-UX 9.04. Those problems that are note
specific to HP-UX were fixed in beta-13.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 224 from Michael Eisele <[email-masked]> and 293 from 
Gary Mills <[email-masked]> reported a problem with an extra %s in a 
printf that was in beta 12 but fixed in beta 13. This ticket is closed.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 226 from Alan Wyskowski <[email-masked]> reports a problem using
beta-12 on a HPUX machines. I don't have one of those, so I can't help
him debug it. 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 230 from Jon Madison <[email-masked]> reports successful compilation
of beta 12 on IRIX 6.2 without changes.  This is not a bug report, but
I do appreciate getting these types of messages.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 234 from Emil Isberg <[email-masked]> reported that he was able
to compile beta-13 on Solaris 2.5/Sparc with the SunC compiler with no 
problems. This is not a bug report, but I do appreciate getting these
types of messages.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 236 from Steve Beikman <[email-masked]> reporting having
problem getting wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-13 compiling under Digital Unix 4.X with
C2. I told that I didn't have this stuff and therefore could not really
help him debug his problem. I am closing this ticket.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 242 from Terry Cox <[email-masked]> is trying compile 
wu-ftpd 2.4 on Linux. I have suggested that he try 2.4.2-beta-13 instead.
I am closing this ticket.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 245 from Kevin Hoffer <[email-masked]> didn't read
the NOTES file concerning the use of "-a" in /etc/inetd.conf in order to
get ftpd to use the ftpaccess file and the various enhancements.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 251 from  Neuromancer <[email-masked]> reported that
some form of shadow passwords don't work correctly with beta-13 under Linux.
I could not reproduce this on RedHat 4.0. So, I have closed this ticket.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 253 from Steven G Smith <[email-masked]> offered some
insights into geting beta-12 to compile on IRIX 5.3 using an SGI compiler.
I requested that he try on beta-13 and get back to me. As far as I can tell,
he hasn't. I am closing this ticket.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 258 from Michael E Quan <[email-masked]> appears to be another
person who didn't read the NOTES file concerning the use of "-a" in 
/etc/inetd.conf in order to get ftpd to use the ftpaccess file and the 
various enhancements.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 259 from <[email-masked]> appears to be another person who didn't 
read the NOTES file concerning the use of "-a" in /etc/inetd.conf in order 
to get ftpd to use the ftpaccess file and the various enhancements.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 260 from Scot Needy <[email-masked]> was reporting that
alot of ftpd's are lingering around on his OSF/1 version 3.2 system. Since
I don't have one of those, I can diagnose his problem. So, I am closing
this ticket.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 261 from Jon Madison <[email-masked]> reports successful complilation
of beta 13 on IRIX 6.2 without changes.  This is not a bug report, but
I do appreciate getting these types of messages.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 262 from Myrna Watt <[email-masked]> was reporting a problem with
HP-UX on beta-12. I asked her to try beta-13, but have not heard from her
concerning it since I made the request. I am closing this ticket.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 268 from Andrew R. Orndorff <[email-masked]>
offered some patches for AIX, but never sent them. I have closed this ticket.
However, I do hope he will send the patches along.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 272 from Jon Snyder <[email-masked]> appears to be 
another person who didn't read the NOTES file concerning the use of "-a" in 
/etc/inetd.conf in order to get ftpd to use the ftpaccess file and the various
enhancements.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 273 from Usuario-Moisis <[email-masked]> wants to know how
to use BISON in place of YACC on AIX. I don't know. I have to close this
ticket. Maybe someone else can help him.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 274 from David R. Heffelfinger <[email-masked]> reported that
he could not get non-anonymous ftp to work under his release of Linux. I asked 
for more information about his configuration and have never received a reply.
I am closing the ticket.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 275 from Blank James <[email-masked]> reported that
guestgroups was not working properly. He said that timestamps were in GMT.
I asked for more information (like what operating system he was using), but
never got a response. I am closing this ticket.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 278 from Ignacio de Cordoba <[email-masked]> is having problems
getting "ls" and "dir" to work, which is a common problem that usually 
involves properly setting up the environment. It is not a wu-ftpd problem.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 280 from Hannu Laurila <[email-masked]> illustrates a common
misconception about the use of a dash as the first character in a password.
This is a feature to turn off extended messages. If the user has a dash as the
first character of his/her password, then that dash must be preceeded with
another dash as an "escape" character to insure that the password is correctly
understood. This ticket is closed.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 287 from  Sandrokan <[email-masked]> reported that he was having
problems getting the guestgroup feature to work on Slakware 96. I asked if
he had the "-a"  turned on on his /etc/inetd.conf line. He has never responded.
I am closing this ticket.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 291 from Sergio Javier Klarreich <[email-masked]> appeared to
just be a pleasant greeting. It does not appear to report a bug report.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 296 from Jim Easton <[email-masked]> bet a month's salary that
there was an alias on my development platforms  for cc. He was wrong, but
I asked him to give the money to charity. I don't know if he did.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 306 from Philippe Langlois <[email-masked]> suggested
that <sys/time.h> be included in ftpd.c for use by OSF/1. This is already
done in the config.h for osf/1. It should not need to be included twice.
This ticket is closed.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 316 from Paul Wouters <[email-masked]> claimed that he could not 
overwrite files or delete existing files when logged in as a real user.
I can't reproduce this. Perhaps it is a configuration issue. Anyway,
I can reproduce it, so I am closing the ticket.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 318 from John R. Long <[email-masked]> illustrates a common
misconception about the use of a dash as the first character in a password.
This is a feature to turn off extended messages. If the user has a dash as the
first character of his/her password, then that dash must be preceeded with
another dash as an "escape" character to insure that the password is correctly
understood. This ticket is closed.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 321 from Are Bryne <[email-masked]> asked a variety of questions
about the upload directive in ftpaccess. I have answered him in private mail.
This ticket is closed.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 324 from Johannes Ruscheinski <[email-masked]> offered 
some patches for Linux, but never sent them. I have closed this ticket. 
However, I do hope he will send the patches along.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 331 from Emil Isberg <[email-masked]> noted that he was having
no problems with beta-13 on Solaris 2.5 or 2.5.1.This is not a bug report, but
I do appreciate getting these types of messages. Also, beta-14 is the first
release of the server to be tested by me on Solaris 2.5.1, so it will be
the first one for which I can accept bug reports with any hopes of reproducing
it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 336 from Mark Cain <[email-masked]> was trying to get beta-13
to work on a Solaris 2.4 sparc marchine with Sparc C, which is a configuration
I run. I can't reproduce his problem (it appears that /etc/inted is passing
the second option on the command line to ftpd, but not the first), so I have
to close this ticket.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 337 from Scott Stubbs <[email-masked]> is unable to get the
software to work with Solaris 2.5.1. He is having a problem similar to
Ticket 339. I can't reproduce it. 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 339 from Chris Kern <[email-masked]> is unable to get the software to
follow his directives in the ftpaccess file. He claims to have the "-a" on
the end of the /etc/inetd.conf line and has had to resort to altering the 
source code claiming that their must be something wrong with the wu-ftpd 
software. He insists that it's not a problem with his Solaris 2.5.1 platform.
I have confirmed that I can't reproduce this problem on Solaris 2.5.1, so I 
am closing this ticket. I have no idea why he can't get it to work, but I 
can't fix things I can't reproduce.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 346 from Eric Meyers <[email-masked]> needed
some information on using beta-13 on HPUX. I offered what help I could
and pointed him at the mailing list. This ticket is closed.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 348 from Peter deFriesse <[email-masked]> didn't read
the NOTES file concerning the use of "-a" in /etc/inetd.conf in order to
get ftpd to use the ftpaccess file and the various enhancements.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 351 from <[email-masked]> is trying to setup "guestgroup" 
and has apparently failed to do so. I have directed him to the FAQ and have
heard nothing more from him. So, I am closing this ticket.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tickets 352 & 353 from Frank Winkler <[email-masked]> is trying to setup 
the server on Solaris, but apparently does not have all the devices and
shared libaries in place to make it possible for "ls" to work. I suggested
some things for him to investigate, but have heard nothing further. I am
closing this ticket.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 363 from Gary Mills <[email-masked]> is complaining about
about the use of a dash as the first character in a password being used to
turn off extended messages. Since this feature has been part of the server
long before I took over maintenance, I am not going to change the behavior
in this release. That's just the way it has to be. If the folks on the
mailing list can come up with a better solution that we can implement in
a future release, I am willing to consider it, but not for release 2.4.2
or 2.4.3. This ticket is closed.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 366 from Paul Whittenburg <[email-masked]> offers some documentation
fixes for the ftpaccess page but never sent them. I have closed this ticket. 
However, I do hope he will send the patches along.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 367 from Jun-ichiro Itoh <[email-masked]> reported a problem with
an extra %s in a printf that was in beta 12 but fixed in beta 13. This ticket
is closed.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 369 from Mark Bergman <[email-masked]> said that he
could not get beta 13 to compile on Solaris 2.5 becuase of a number of 
missing files. I believe he had a bad copy of the distribution since
I could not reproduce this problem on Solaris 2.5.1 or 2.4. I am closing
this ticket.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 374 from Ryan Rawson <[email-masked]> claimed that virutal hosting
didn't work on Linux 2.0.29 and 2.0.30. This may be true. I could not 
reproduce the problem on RedHat 4.0, so I can fix it. I think he is right
about it being a kernel or library problem. This ticket is closed.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 382 from Roger Burroughes <[email-masked]> noted that the
Sun problem with file locking covered in NOTES file is still a problem.
I agree, but it is really Sun's problem to fix. This ticket is closed.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 383 from Chang_L <[email-masked]> appears to be another person who 
didn't read the NOTES file concerning the use of "-a" in /etc/inetd.conf in 
order to get ftpd to use the ftpaccess file and the various enhancements.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 390 from David Macdonald <[email-masked]> is reporting that
under Solaris he was not getting the local time when he did a dir after an
anonymous login. He had symlinked to the /etc/default/init and /etc/TIMEZONE
files from his chrooted directories. That won't work. They must be copied
to the chrooted directory locations. I have let him know about this. I am
closing this ticket.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 401 from Philippe Guyot <[email-masked]> sent a ticket in that had no
information in it. I have closed it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 402 from Greg Smith <[email-masked]> could not discover the
details CERT Advisory CA-97.16 from the announcement itself, and so attempted
to query me for them. I have responded to his request. This ticket is closed.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 405 from Earl Wallace <[email-masked]> suggests that there
is some problem in the server that is actually caused by the ftp client.
This ticket is closed.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 406 from Earl Wallace <[email-masked]> says that he didn' see
this problem later. This ticket is also closed.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 412 from Nick Matyushenko <[email-masked]> appears to be another person 
who didn't read the NOTES file concerning the use of "-a" in /etc/inetd.conf
in order to get ftpd to use the ftpaccess file and the various enhancements.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------