Subject: ftpshut works, but does not display my message :(

From: Philip Hallstrom <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 09:40:03 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all,
	I've looked all over and can't find anything about this.

I've got "shutdown /etc/ftp/msgs/shutdown" in my ftpaccess file and I used
the following command to create that file:

# ftpshut now "The staging server will be down for about an hour for
maintanence.  Sorry for the inconvenience."

And the file looks like (no ---):

---------------------------
1997 07 07 09 39 0010 0005
The staging server will be down for about an hour for maintanence. 
Sorry for the inconvenience.
---------------------------

Upon ftp'ing to the machine I get:

---------------------------
philip@astro:/sierra/src/wu-ftpd-2.4/bin% ftp astro
Connected to astro.
500 astro FTP server shut down -- please try again later.
ftp> qui
---------------------------

So it works, but it's not seeing my message.  Any ideas why?

-- 
Philip Hallstrom                 Sierra On-Line, Inc.
[email-masked]      http://www.sierra.com/