Subject: Linux won't accept incoming ftp sessions

From: "Tim Hodges, Triangle Telephone Cooperative Assoc." <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 15:45:18 -0600

I recently upgraded to Slackware 3.2 which includes wu-ftpd.
Now ftpd won't accept incoming connections. Here is what happens:

It says '530 login incorrect'. This happens even when I know I have
used a good username/password.

The failure generates a syslog entry of:
Aug  8 13:26:45 ttc_ws ftpd[8716]: open of pid file failed: No such file
or directory

The /etc/shells is in place and seems correct. I have tried it both
with and without -a switch. 

If anyone has any ideas, I would really appreciate them. 

Tim Hodges
[email-masked]

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 17:03:23 -0500 (CDT)

> Aug  8 13:26:45 ttc_ws ftpd[8716]: open of pid file failed: No such file

The current beta 13 release does not grep this message, and I don't know
what slack wants for the pid file path.  No telling what version it is,
though it is probably fairly recent.  I would suggest installing the
latest beta from source; it is not that difficult, and you have a known
quantity to work with.

   -- Michael

This is the location for the latest wu-ftpd.  You can't see the
directory contents, but get the file anyway.  It's there.

ftp://ftp.academ.com/pub/wu-ftpd/private/wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-13.tar.Z

wu-ftpd FAQ:  http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html
              OR
              send mail to [email-masked]
              with a subject line: send faq

guest howto:  ftp://ftp.fni.com/pub/wu-ftpd/guest-howto
              OR
              send mail to "[email-masked]"
              (immediate autoresponder; subject does not matter)

wu-ftpd Resource Center:  http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/
wu-ftpd list archive:     http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/mail-archive/

There are additional security references in the above docs.

---

From: "Tim Hodges, Triangle Telephone Cooperative Assoc." <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 16:33:17 -0600

Excellent! Easy install fixed the problem.. Thanks!

Tim Hodges
[email-masked]