Subject: Multiple guest groups

From: Randy Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 07:42:46 -0700

Is it possible to have multiple guest groups and allow the different
groups various sets of permissions for their respective directories ? 

Where one guest group might not have chmod and del perms and another
does have these perms ?

An example ftpaccess would be appreciated.

Thanks !!

---

From: "Stig Isaksson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 16:55:13 GMT+200

Hi Randy!

> Where one guest group might not have chmod and del perms and another

Yes, I just found out how to do it a couple of days ago. I have three 
guest groups called ftpguest, sofi and circles according to the 
following ftpaccess file:

class   all   real,guest,anonymous  *
class   sofi  guest *
class   sktgroup guest *

guestgroup ftpguests sofi circles

#********************************************************
#Anonymous ftp:
banner /usr/local/home/ftp/messages/banner.msg
# banner command uses system root

message /messages/welcome.msg	login
# message command uses chrooted root

upload /usr/local/home/ftp /upload yes root sys 0600
#********************************************************

log commands anonymous
log transfer anonymous inbound, outbound

log commands guest
log transfer guest inbound, outbound

log commands real
log transfer real inbound, outbound

email [email-masked]

I'm practically a wu-ftp-beginner so some parts of the file above may 
be unnessesary and unelegant but it works. The three guest users are 
guest (in group guestgroup), sofi (in group sofi) and sktgrupp (in 
group circles. Each of those users has a home folder of the same name 
as themselves, each folder with bin, dev, etc, and usr file 
structures below them (once made, those folders can be copied from one 
user to the others - NB!! WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THE dev FOLDER, the 
contents of which must be created anew for each user with the mknod 
command) - three devices should be created in dev, like this:

#mknod zero c 13 12
#mknod tcp c 11 42
#mknod udp c 11 41
#mknod ticotsord c 105 1

(So don't try to make those by copying them from somewhere else - my 
system at least (Solaris 2.5.1) hangs irrevocably if try something 
like that.)

I see now that I might have replied to the part of your question 
where you may already know the answers (?). As to the permission part 
I suppose you can manipulate perms in the ordinary way (plus putting  
or not putting the commands in question - cmod etc.- in each user's 
etc directory).

Good Luck!
Greetings from Lund, Sweden.

Stig

------------------------------------------------------------
Stig Isaksson
Dialekt- och ortnamnsarkivet
Helgonabacken 14
S-223 62 LUND
S W E D E N
tel.: +46 46 222 74 68   fax: +46 46 15 23 81
e-mail: [email-masked]

<Forstaor MIME    Understands MIME>
------------------------------------------------------------