Subject: problem with S/KEY (Solaris 2.5, wu 2.4.2-B13)

From: Mark Bergman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 1997 17:06:00 -0400

I'm unable to get wu-ftpd (wu-2.4.2-academ[BETA-13](1)) to work
correctly with the S/KEY mods on my Solaris 2.5 system. I removed the
"#undef SKEY" from config.h, and edited the src/Makefile, adding -DSKEY
and -lskey, and the package compiled cleanly, with only the warning:

cc -g -I.. -I../support -L../support -DSKEY  -c  ftpd.c
ftpd.c: In function `user':
ftpd.c:1255: warning: passing arg 1 of `skeyaccess' from incompatible pointer type

I'm using gcc 2.6.3.

Other programs (telnet, Wietse Venema's ftpd) that rely upon skey work
correctly.

Anonymous ftp works fine, but when real users (with entries in /etc/skey.*
or not) attempt to connect, they get:

	421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection
	Login failed.

The log file records:

Aug  8 16:13:29 FTPHOST.PHRI.NYU.EDU ftpd[24327]: <--- 220
Aug  8 16:13:29 FTPHOST.PHRI.NYU.EDU ftpd[24327]: hercules FTP server (Version
wu-2.4.2-academ[BETA-13](1) Fri Aug 8 11:54:36 EDT 1997) ready.
Aug  8 16:13:30 FTPHOST.PHRI.NYU.EDU ftpd[24327]: command: USER johndoe
Aug  8 16:13:30 FTPHOST.PHRI.NYU.EDU ftpd[24327]: exiting on signal 11

If I compile the package without the -DSKEY/-lskey changes, real
users are able to login fine, and anonymous ftp continues to work
fine.

I looked through the wu-ftpd mailing list archives and the sun-managers
list archives, but didn't see any solutions to this problem.
----
Mark Bergman                       [email-masked]
System and Network Administrator   212-578-0822
Public Health Research Institute   Rm. 1074, 455 1st Ave, NY NY, 10016