Subject: Multiple Log Files

From: Marc Novakowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 1997 14:43:58 -0600

Okay.. this might be a stretch but it's worth a shot:

Problem:
Is there a way of logging file transfers to separate log files,
determined by the user (or group) of the person logging in?  I would use
virtual servers in 2.4.2, but I would like to do this with a single IP
address.

For example, when user "bob" logs in and transfers files, it is logged
to /var/log/ftpxfer.bob.  When user "mary" logs in, her file transfers
are logged to "mary".

Reason:
The main problem I am running into with a single log file is that
multiple customers all have a change root to their own directory, so I
have no unique identifier to use to filter the log file.

Possible Alternative:
I guess another workaround to this would be to log the absolute path of
all files transfered, regardless of any change root done by the server.

If anyone knows if any of the above is possible, please let me know!
Thanks,

---
Marc Novakowski
Telus Advanced Communications
(403) 543-2143
http://www.tac.telus.com/keys for PGP key