Subject: chroot problem after using vipw

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 97 11:35:39 +0200

On DUNIX V4.0B and FTP server Version wu-2.4.2-academ[BETA-12]  
I modified a user's name in /etc/passwd using vipw
and from then on for this and for every newly added user the chroot
seems to fail. 
For them using "pwd" the whole path of the whole system is visible 
instead of only subtrees inside the "should be effective" user's 
root directory.
All the older in /etc/passwd not modified user accounts are o.k.
and the one modified did also work fine before.

For example in /etc/passwd:

ok     -->>   user1:...   :/export/ftp/./pub/user1:...
not ok -->>   usermod:... :/export/ftp/./pub/usermod:...
not ok -->>   useradd:... :/export/ftp/./pub/useradd:...

Any help would be appreciated!

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 97 15:49:30 +0200

Hello
> and the one modified did also work fine before.
...
In addition:

The user accounts I wrote of are Guest accounts with upload permission
They all have entries in ftpaccess and they are able to upload.
But when the modified user issues 'pwd' he gets:
/export/ftp/pub/usermod instead of /pub/usermod what it did before 
modification. Modification will say: I renamed user2 to usermod in passwd 
file and made the changes also in ftpaccess file. Since then usermod has 
the above mentioned problem and the new user useradd too. 

The names in these examples are fictional:

In /etc/passwd:

user1:blabla:111:100:works fine:/export/ftp/./pub/user1:/etc/ftponly
usermod:blublu:112:100:name was modified:/export/ftp/./pub/usermod:/etc/ftponly
useradd:huhuhu:113:100:newly added:/export/ftp/./pub/useradd:/ftponly

In ftpaccess:
upload  /export/ftp  /export/ftp/pub/user1    yes user1 exp 755 dirs
upload  /export/ftp  /export/ftp/pub/usermod  yes usermod  exp 755 dirs
upload  /export/ftp  /export/ftp/pub/useradd  yes useradd  exp 755 dirs

Thank You in advance
			 [email-masked]