Subject: "/" doesn't appear when pwd is entered in a chroot(ed) user

From: Jasen Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 1997 13:18:48 -0700

Hello, I have read the FAQ's and looked all over the net trying to find out
what I am doing wrong.

Here is the situation, I am basicly trying to make
/usr/local/www/htdocs/username the ROOT directory for the user when they
login.

in the password it goes /export/home/username/./<symbolic link to web
directory>

When the user FTP's in it drops them into the web directory just like it
should. Yet the "PWD" command reveals they are in
/usr/local/www/htdocs/username and NOT "/" which I want. Also, they can run
around the system just as normal.

I have thought the problem lied in the ftpaccess file and I had to put the
user under a guestgroup <groupname>. When I did that, the user is denied
access with the message "Cannot set guest privledges"

Anyone have any ideas or places I might be able to find some answers?

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 1997 12:20:36 -0500 (CDT)

Two suggestions.  One, go over the guest group howto with great care; 
guest ftp depends on all the details being right.  Two, if you just get
stuck, look at the result code that is coming back (530?) and grep the
source to find all the places that error is returned, and see under what
conditions it fails.  Without seeing your setup in detail it is impossible
to contribute much more.

   -- Michael