Subject: xferlog identifying failed transfers

From: Steven Hein <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 1997 13:55:12 -0400

I would like to log transfers that dropped their internet connection in the
middle or from a browser user that hit stop in the middle of a transfer.
Currently, they are not included in the xferlog.  I read an FAQ from the
archive where someone logs at the beginning and end of each transfer and post
processes the log to find the incomplete transmissions.  Is there a way to
force a log entry at the end of all transfers regardless of how they are
terminated?  How does the browser communicate with the ftpd to indicate a
successfully completed transfer or how does the browser signal ftpd to
terminate a transfer prior to completion?
For accurate internet traffic analysis, I need to log the number of bytes
transferred for a transmission that does not complete normally, and flag that
transfer in the log as incomplete.  Any ideas?

Thanks in advance, Steve Hein

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 1997 13:13:10 -0500 (CDT)

wu-ftpd should log partial transfers.  Check the file; I certainly see a
few short ones, just happen to be working on that issue right now.

   -- Michael