Subject: wu_ftpd and NIS under Linux

From: "Gunther R. Costas" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 22:05:30 -0400 (AST)

Hello.

(I am new at sys admin and need help with a wu_ftpd setup.)

I have a question regarding the following.

We have a linux machine whose wu-2.4(4) worked perfectly well under the
2.0.0 kernel.  We recently upgraded the kernel to 2.0.30, leaving the
ftp server intact.  Since then the wu_ftpd recognizes only local accounts,
and no NIS accounts (users).

We also installed a brand-new machine with the 2.0.30 kernel and it has
the same problem.  (Both have the same NIS server).

	What can it be?

Anticipated thanks for your respons!

gunther

---

From: Jim Dennis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 21:09:03 -0700

> the same problem.  (Both have the same NIS server).

	On the first machine I strongly suspect that you
	updated more than just the kernel.  My guess would be 
	that you're using the Red Hat distribution (currently
	the most popular -- but also the fastest moving).  

	If this is so than you've probably been bitten by some 
	new features that aren't "playing" well with some of you're
	existing software.  Specifically there is a movement on the
	bleeding edge of Linux to adopt the PAM (pluggable authentication
	module) specification (which is also going to be in Solaris 2.6
	-- when it ships in the next couple of days).

	Unfortunately your wu-ftpd doesn't know from PAM. 

	You can sign on to the PAM mailing list and repost your question
	there.  That's at [email-masked] (although you'd use
	[email-masked]  to sign on or off -- of course).

	I would answer the question more completely if I could.  However
	my experience NIS and NIS+ is far too limited and my experience
	in making it work with PAM is NIL

--
Jim Dennis,                                [email-masked]
Proprietor,                          [email-masked]
Starshine Technical Services              http://www.starshine.org

        PGP  1024/2ABF03B1 Jim Dennis <[email-masked]>
        Key fingerprint =  2524E3FEF0922A84  A27BDEDB38EBB95A