Subject: Holding users at bay

From: Robert Hayden-0797-EMP-HSE <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 14:20:25 -0500 (CDT)

Howdy.  This is a relatively simple question but I can't seem to find any
documentation that explains the process.

One of our clients has a 1400-user alpha running OSF that is set up as a
non-shell machine with FTP only for web pages.  A couple of his users have
recently come on (and been kicked off) for FTPing in and going "prowling"
(his words) through the system, downloading the /etc/passwd file, looking
at logs, etc.

Since shadowing the password file on a system that is already running is
largely an exercise in hair loss (at least it would explain mine), the
client was looking for a replacement ftpd that will lock people into their
own directories and keep them from "prowling".

Can wu-ftpd do this?  And if so, what's the trick for getting it working?
I assume it's by some use of the chroot command, but after that, the
configuration fails.

Thanks for your help

=-=-=-=-=-=
Robert Hayden					[email-masked]
IP Network Administrator			(612) 230-4416
MEANS Telcom

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 14:33:58 -0500 (CDT)

guest ftp -- see below.

   -- Michael

> I assume it's by some use of the chroot command, but after that, the

This is the location for the latest wu-ftpd.  You can't see the
directory contents, but get the file anyway.  It's there.

ftp://ftp.academ.com/pub/wu-ftpd/private/wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-13.tar.Z

wu-ftpd FAQ:  http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html
              OR
              send mail to [email-masked]
              with a subject line: send faq

guest howto:  ftp://ftp.fni.com/pub/wu-ftpd/guest-howto
              OR
              send mail to "[email-masked]"
              (immediate autoresponder; subject does not matter)

wu-ftpd Resource Center:  http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/
wu-ftpd list archive:     http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/mail-archive/

There are additional security references in the above docs.

---

From: Alan Halachmi <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 14:44:40 -0500 (CDT)

Yes, WU-FTPd CAN do this.  Read the documentation, but the trick is a /./
in the passwd file.

Alan Halachmi, Head of Internet Services
Solaris Administrator/ Web Design
Montgomery Bell Academy
mailto:[email-masked]	http://www.montgomerybell.com

---

From: Jim Hribnak <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 14:17:42 -0600

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

Hash: SHA1

At 02:44 PM 7/15/97 -0500, you wrote:

>Yes, WU-FTPd CAN do this.  Read the documentation, but the trick is 

a /./

>Solaris Administrator/ Web Design

Yes but what will that do for the actual web stuff for that user..  

IE::

/bbsusers/<<username>/public-html 

By default if a use ris ftping into his account his route SHOULD be 

/bbsusers/<<username> and thats is this way it should not screw up the 

WWW dir

---

<bold>Jim Hribnak                   

</bold>Manager Communication Services, Nucleus Inc 

Calgary       403-541-9400  263 Lines

Edmonton  403-413-1600    30 Lines 

Voice           403-209-0000            

Internet abuse: [email-masked]

[email-masked]

Sick of UCE, JunkEmail? check out www.abuse.net