Subject: Non-IP Virtual FTP Support

From: "John C. Frickson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 1997 15:22:49 -0500 (CDT)

All the talk about virtual FTP on this list got me thinking.  Many
HTTP servers have support for non-IP based virtual hosts using the
Host: header.  So I thought it might also be nice to have a HOST
command in FTP.  I made a proposal to the FTP working group on Friday.
There haven't been many responses yet, but so far two people are
against it, and one is in favor (sort of.)

I would like to take an informal poll.  Please send me email with
answers to the questions:

1) Extending FTP with a HOST command for non-IP virtual support
   (For, Against, Don't care)

2) Do you access any ftp sites that currently have different directories
   for different companies hosted on the same machine?

3) Are you an ISP, Web Presence Provider, or similar organization that
   hosts multiple domains?

Your input would be much appreciated.  If there's interest in this
question, I will post a summary of the results.

Thanks.

-- 
    John C. Frickson     |    Author of Quality    | http://www.gibbon.com/
Gibbon Computer Products |     OS/2 Shareware!     |  ftp://ftp.gibbon.com
 Phone: +1 612 754 6557  | FTP, DoubleClick, Talk, |  [email-masked]
  VISA/MasterCard/AmEx   | Finger, FingerD, Change |  [email-masked]