Subject: Closed Tickets before release of beta 14

From: [email-masked] (Stan Barber)
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 1997 23:38:24 -0500 (CDT)

This note contains a summary of all tickets closed before the release of beta 
14. Most of these were not bug reports. Some are questions that were
answered in the documentation or the various FAQs. Some were bug reports
about previous beta releases that have already been fixed in the latest
beta (13). A few were complaints about some fundamental design decisions
made when wu-ftpd was created. Some were questions I did answer and have
closed. Some were notes about successful compliations of beta 13 or beta 12
on platforms to which I have not access. Some were offers of patches that
never materialized.

In any case, they are all closed. They are not relevant to beta 14 or any
future release. If you don't see that your ticket number is mentioned here
and it was not mentioned as being a closed ticket or bug fix in the beta 13
distribution, you should assume it is open. Some of these open tickets will 
be closed as bug fixes. A few will remain open as they are feature 
enhancements. These feature enhancements will be discussed on this list
when I am ready to start outlining the details of release 2.5.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 7 from Fredrik Nyman <[email-masked]> concerns problems
making the ftpaccess file work on IRIX 5.3. I can't reproduce this since
I don't have access to IRIX and other who do don't report this as being
a problem. My guess is that there is no "-a" at the end of the /etc/inetd.conf
line for starting ftpd. [I should have closed this sooner, but didn't.]
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 39 from Nathan Neulinger <[email-masked]> concerns a problem
with signal 10 aborts on HP/UX. I believe this problem was fixed in beta 13.
I am closing this ticket since I can't reproduce his problem without access
to HP/UX.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 48 from Scott Mulligan <[email-masked]> was a request to
talk to me about something. We never made contact. He didn't acknowledge
my followup message. I am closing this ticket.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 68 from <[email-masked]> was not a bug report but a request for
more assistance in understanding how virtual ftp support works on wu-ftpd.
This ticket is closed since it is not a bug report.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 99 from  Becki Kain <[email-masked]> offered some 
suggeestions for the configuration of wu-ftpd on Digital Unix. These changes
were already included in beta 13. This ticket is closed.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 101 from [email-masked] askes about the use of "user@" and "user@host"
conventions for anonymous ftp. This is not a bug report.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 116 from James Ford <[email-masked]> offers to compile wu-ftpd
on some AIX machines. This is not a bug report. However, I would welcome
any reports concerning AIX compliations.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tickets 127, 171 & 240 from Becki Kain <[email-masked]> offers to 
compile wu-ftpd on Digital Unix 4.0. This is not a bug report. However, I 
would welcome any reports concerning Digital Unix compliations. So, Becki,
go ahead and compile away. Send me a report after you do it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 128 from Bernhard Rosenkraenzer <[email-masked]> reports
that ftpaccess is not being seen on Linux. However, he does not provide
any information concerning the /etc/inetd.conf line for starting ftpd.
Since I can't reproduce this bug on Linux, this ticket is closed.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 150 from [email-masked] offers to compile wu-ftpd
on some AIX machines. This is not a bug report. However, I would welcome
any reports concerning AIX compliations.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 176 from Danielle Hopkins <[email-masked]> report that
compiling beta 12 on Digital Unix 3.2 with enhanced security is not working.
I believe this issue was resolved in beta 13.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 200 from  Alvaro Fdez Lago <[email-masked]> reports 
success building beta-12 without changes. This is not a bug report, but
I do appreciate getting these types of messages.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 230 from Jon Madison <[email-masked]> reports successful compilation
of beta 12 on IRIX 6.2 without changes.  This is not a bug report, but
I do appreciate getting these types of messages.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 245 from Kevin Hoffer <[email-masked]> didn't read
the NOTES file concerning the use of "-a" in /etc/inetd.conf in order to
get ftpd to use the ftpaccess file and the various enhancements.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 258 from Michael E Quan <[email-masked]> appears to be another
person who didn't read the NOTES file concerning the use of "-a" in 
/etc/inetd.conf in order to get ftpd to use the ftpaccess file and the 
various enhancements.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 259 from <[email-masked]> appears to be another person who didn't 
read the NOTES file concerning the use of "-a" in /etc/inetd.conf in order 
to get ftpd to use the ftpaccess file and the various enhancements.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 261 from Jon Madison <[email-masked]> reports successful complilation
of beta 13 on IRIX 6.2 without changes.  This is not a bug report, but
I do appreciate getting these types of messages.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 268 from Andrew R. Orndorff <[email-masked]>
offered some patches for AIX, but never sent them. I have closed this ticket.
However, I do hope he will send the patches along.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 273 from Usuario-Moisis <[email-masked]> wants to know how
to use BISON in place of YACC on AIX. I don't know. I have to close this
ticket. Maybe someone else can help him.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 278 from Ignacio de Cordoba <[email-masked]> is having problems
getting "ls" and "dir" to work, which is a common problem that usually 
involves properly setting up the environment. It is not a wu-ftpd problem.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 280 from Hannu Laurila <[email-masked]> illustrates a common
misconception about the use of a dash as the first character in a password.
This is a feature to turn off extended messages. If the user has a dash as the
first character of his/her password, then that dash must be preceeded with
another dash as an "escape" character to insure that the password is correctly
understood. This ticket is closed.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 291 from Sergio Javier Klarreich <[email-masked]> appeared to
just be a pleasant greeting. It does not appear to report a bug report.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 296 from Jim Easton <[email-masked]> bet a month's salary that
there was an alias on my development platforms  for cc. He was wrong, but
I asked him to give the money to charity. I don't know if he did.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 318 from John R. Long <[email-masked]> illustrates a common
misconception about the use of a dash as the first character in a password.
This is a feature to turn off extended messages. If the user has a dash as the
first character of his/her password, then that dash must be preceeded with
another dash as an "escape" character to insure that the password is correctly
understood. This ticket is closed.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 321 from Are Bryne <[email-masked]> asked a variety of questions
about the upload directive in ftpaccess. I have answered him in private mail.
This ticket is closed.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 324 from Johannes Ruscheinski <[email-masked]> offered 
some patches for Linux, but never sent them. I have closed this ticket. 
However, I do hope he will send the patches along.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 331 from Emil Isberg <[email-masked]> noted that he was having
no problems with beta-13 on Solaris 2.5 or 2.5.1.This is not a bug report, but
I do appreciate getting these types of messages. Also, beta-14 is the first
release of the server to be tested by me on Solaris 2.5.1, so it will be
the first one for which I can accept bug reports with any hopes of reproducing
it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 351 from <[email-masked]> is trying to setup "guestgroup" 
and has apparently failed to do so. I have directed him to the FAQ and have
heard nothing more from him. So, I am closing this ticket.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tickets 352 & 353 from Frank Winkler <[email-masked]> is trying to setup 
the server on Solaris, but apparently does not have all the devices and
shared libaries in place to make it possible for "ls" to work. I suggested
some things for him to investigate, but have heard nothing further. I am
closing this ticket.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 363 from Gary Mills <[email-masked]> is complaining about
about the use of a dash as the first character in a password being used to
turn off extended messages. Since this feature has been part of the server
long before I took over maintenance, I am not going to change the behavior
in this release. That's just the way it has to be. If the folks on the
mailing list can come up with a better solution that we can implement in
a future release, I am willing to consider it, but not for release 2.4.2
or 2.4.3. This ticket is closed.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 366 from Paul Whittenburg <[email-masked]> offers some documentation
fixes for the ftpaccess page but never sent them. I have closed this ticket. 
However, I do hope he will send the patches along.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket 367 from Jun-ichiro Itoh <[email-masked]> reported a problem with
an extra %s in a printf that was in beta 12 but fixed in beta 13. This ticket
is closed.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------