Subject: wu-ftpd 2.4.2 beta 13 under IRIX 6.3

From: Ernest Mueller <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 17:14:51 -0500

I've just compiled and installed wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-13 on an SGI O2
running IRIX 6.4, and thought I'd share my experiences with you.  I'll
follow the numbering of steps in the INSTALL file for convenience.

1.  Compilation went great, using ./build sgi, with only a couple minor
warnings.  I used the SGI compiler, since gcc and SGI don't mix too
happily right now.  I also compiled it with -DVIRTUAL for the virtual
ftp server support, and that also went fine.

2.  Installation was mostly OK - except for two things:
    a.  in makefiles/Makefile.sgi ETCDIR should be set to /usr/etc
because the default ftpd is /usr/etc/ftpd
    b.  in makefiles/Makefile.sgi the man page setup is wrong - here's
the deal.  SGI man page setup under IRIX 6.x is evil.  The default man
directories are /usr/share/catman/[agpu]_man - they've broken them up
into subdirectories where a_man includes sections 1,4, and 7, g_man
includes section 3, etc...  It's not a lot of fun.  Luckily, if you
stick man[1-8] directories straight into /usr/share/catman, man sees
them and is happy.  So a quick fix is just changing
MANDIR=/usr/share/catman - but those man[1,5,8] directories don't exist
yet.  In fact, in the base installation the SGI only ever has cat[1-8]
directories and not man[1-8] anywhere, even down in the grouped
subdirectories.  So either the installer need to make them himself or
the install script needs to.  I'm not sure if there's an elegant fix
here...

3.  Editing /etc/inetd.conf went fine.

4.  The "/etc/killall -HUP inetd" to restart the SGI inetd was required.

Here's where the plot thickens a little - SGI has no concept of an
/etc/shells file.  My first ftp login was rejected with the message:
530 User ernestm access denied...(bad shell)
Login failed.

I just made an /etc/shells file and that fixed it - it might be nice if
ignoring this was compiled in since IRIX itself doesn't care.  At least
there should be a note somewhere.

5-6. Skipped

7-9. ckconfig works fine.

I exercised all the ftpaccess options and the support programs, and all
work fine as best as I can tell.

Getting ls to work - as suggested in the FAQ, I had to generate dev/zero
usign MAKEDEV and copy over lib/libc.so.1 and lib/rld.  Then all worked.

Virtual hosting - Not working yet, but I'll work on it tomorrow...
I'll let you all know how it turns out.

So in general, it's working fine out of the box.  I plan to also install
it on some Origin 200's running IRIX 6.4 - should be much the same.

Ernest
-- 
Ernest C. Mueller                                [email-masked]
Webmaster                                        Phone: (901) 251-7000
Towery Publishing                                http://www.towery.com