Subject: Final Prototype Version

From: Kent Landfield <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 14:09:47 -0500 (CDT)

This is the third major version in prototyping extended virtual hosting support.
There will be no more major revisions.  At this point I am only taking bug 
reports and portability changes.  Once those are completed I will be sending 
the final changes to Stan for incorporation into a future release.

This version handles all the requests that I've received other than merging 
config files.  Merging has too many drawbacks for the benefits received. This
version is simple to understand and manage.  It has an additional plus to it.
If you are currently using the Virtual Hosting support in the baselined 
beta-13 version, you will NOT HAVE TO CHANGE A THING if you don't need the 
expanded virtual host support.  Your existing ftpaccess file will work 
correctly. (It slices, it dices, it makes jullian fries! Sorry Perry... 
Beat you to it. ;) )

This version provides two different means for supporting virtual hosting.
You can use the existing "virtual" directive support or you can use the 
extended virtual support by having completely different ftpaccess files 
or any mixture of both. 

If you have multiple domains that need to be setup in extremely similar
fashions then place "virtual" (root/banner/logfile) directives in the master 
ftpaccess file.  All other directives in the master ftpaccess file will be 
shared globally across all listed virtual servers.  

If you have virtual domains that need to do things different, create a 
separate ftpaccess for those specific domains to provide individual support 
for all ftpaccess directives.  For each virtual domain that you want to 
support, you have the option to create an ftpaccess file specific for that 
domain. This will override completely what you have in the master ftpaccess 
file.  This file must contain all directives you wish used. If you do not 
create an ftpaccess file for a specific domain, the domain will use the 
appropriate "virtual" directives in the master ftpaccess file.  

Additionally, the ftpusers, ftpgroups, ftphosts and ftpconversions files can 
all be specified on a per-domain basis.  You have the ability to override the
master WU-FTPD config files with a local copy specific to that domain. If you
do not wish to place a copy of one or all files listed above in the virtual
host directory for that specific host then the master copy is used. 

Newer copies of ftpck and ftpshut/ftprestart are also included in the 
newvirt-030.tar.gz distribution.  These versions are not currently available 
in the Resource Center but should be soon.

More information on this is available at

	http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/newvirt/index.html
and
	http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/newvirt/README

-- 
Kent Landfield                        Phone: 1-817-545-2502             
The Landfield Group                   FAX:   1-817-545-7650             
Email: [email-masked]             http://www.landfield.com/
Please send comp.sources.misc related mail to [email-masked].
Search the Usenet Hypertext FAQ Archive at http://www.faqs.org/faqs/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 23 Jul 1997 00:26:48 GMT

Pink elephants with an attitude inspired Kent Landfield <[email-masked]> to tell garfield.mail.wu-ftpd:

[for some reason I was unsubscribed from wu-ftpd.. I caught up, but wonder
what happened that led to my unsubscription.. can't be that I sent mail
to listmaster about bounces when I sent something to the list n'est ce pas?]

: beta-13 version, you will NOT HAVE TO CHANGE A THING if you don't need the 
: expanded virtual host support.  Your existing ftpaccess file will work 
: correctly. (It slices, it dices, it makes jullian fries! Sorry Perry... 
"but I don't want any of that" [0] :)

: Beat you to it. ;) )
Boo! Hiss! Now I'll have to moan to you about trying to get the old version
to work on FreeBSD and failing miserably because my C knowledge is equal to
Kernighan and Ritchie's combined, when they were about 3 years old that is.
I'll send a patch against beta-13 in unified diff format (as opposed to
whatever format 'differs' is in, that fails to be grokked by patch) and I've
figured out what inet_ntoa wants with 'wrong argument 1' when called from
rdservers.c, line 89 or somewhere over there if I remember correctly.

We now return you to the wonders of inn 1.6b1... sigh..

[0] semi-obscure MP reference

-- 
Perry Rovers ([email-masked])