Subject: problem about wu-ftpd(?)

From: [email-masked] (CHEN Shan-Ta)
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 97 11:00:49 CST

dear sir:

  i've just setuped a ftp server for d/l shareware, and i have limited
  the max. anonymous users for network bandwidth issue.

  but i found under heavy loading( much over my limit ), the
  ftp would just refuse the connection request - no ligin title,
  just "..connection refused..."
  (the log file has nothing about that response)

  i've tried the wu-ftpd 2.4.2b12 and b13, the same happened...

  but i did find that if i re-run the inetd(kill -1 PID), it would
  go back, and then after sometimes, it went dead again...

  my linux is official redhat 4.1(kernel 2.0.27), without any upgrade
  yet, i suspect this is not due to the ftpd but the inetd, can anyone
  give me some ideas?

  should i update the kernel? or try anything else to solve the problem?

  my netwrok card is i82557 using eepro100 driver via module, does this
  "unofficial" driver matter?

  i really needs some help, please feel free to send me any words, I'll
  be very appriciated about that... :)

  thanks agian!

  --
  Sincerely yours
  Silver CHEN
  07/03/1997
  (if possible, please reply via mailto://[email-masked])

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 1997 22:43:58 -0500 (CDT)

This is an inetd problem.  'man inetd' to see how to increase the maximum
number of connections per minute.  Another alternative is xinetd. 

   -- Michael