Subject: wu-ftpd beta-13 under AIX 4.1.4 with gui ftp clients

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 16:33:25 -0400

Am running wu-ftpd to restrict clients to specific directories.
restriction works fine; clients can access their own directories, and only
their own directories, but when using a GUI ftp (in our case, either
cuteFTP or Hummingbird Exceed FTP, the files in the user's directory don't
show up.  We can go in via AIX and look at the directory; the files are
there, and are owned by the client, but the client can't see them on
his/her gui display.  Any suggestions?

---

From: Jim Dennis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 20:51:05 -0700

> his/her gui display.  Any suggestions?

	Check the execute bit on the directories.  I don't
	know why put I found that Unix and "shell" style ftp
	clients don't care if the execute bit is set so long as
	you have the read bit -- but the some of the Windows GUI 
	one would exhibit the behavior you describe.  It was
	WS_FTP in my case.

--
Jim Dennis,                                [email-masked]
Proprietor,                          [email-masked]
Starshine Technical Services              http://www.starshine.org

        PGP  1024/2ABF03B1 Jim Dennis <[email-masked]>
        Key fingerprint =  2524E3FEF0922A84  A27BDEDB38EBB95A

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 1997 16:07:12 +0000

> his/her gui display.  Any suggestions?

	I guess the external ls is not set up right. GUI clients often use 
	"dir" dommand to get the listing. wuftpd has a build in ls, it can
	be used by the command "ls". Thats why u can see the files on
	a shell client by typing "ls" i guess. Check the Guests-HowTo for
	information about the chroot dir. Probably uve set up the users
	as a guestgroup and its made a chroot in their home dirs by 
	/home/user/./ . Then u may need to make a chroot-dir in each of the 
	users home directorys.

		YT
			Steve