Subject: For anonymous logins, is ftp user the same as anonymous

From: Scott Callaway <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 1997 12:09:12 -0700

I am just curious if this is correct behavior for wu_ftp.  Should 
either 'anonymous' or 'ftp' work for ftp logins without a password?

All behavior seems to be identical for 'ftp' or 'anonymous'.  Either
one gets listed as below in the 'ftp.log'
  ANONYMOUS FTP LOGIN FROM localhost [127.0.0.1].

I know that telnet and other logins fail for the 'ftp' user.

thanks in advance,

-- Scott C.
______________________________________________________________________
  Scott Callaway         [email-masked]          619-231-2600
  Digigami Inc.,   624 Broadway  Suite 200,   San Diego,    CA.  92101
 1:1000               <http://www.digigami.com>
______________________________________________________________________

---

From: Bob Luckin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 97 15:53:38 CDT

> I know that telnet and other logins fail for the 'ftp' user.

Yes, this is the correct behaviour.  "ftp" is usually the name of the user
account which is set up for the anonymous server, so it works as well as
"anonymous".  (Of course, it is also shorter to type, which is convenient...)

If set up properly, the account should have no valid password (typically "*"
under UNIX), and therefore reject telnet attempts.

Cheers, Bob
-- 
Bob Luckin      [email-masked]      "Sex aware era wanes"