Subject: virtual IP logging of guests

From: "Roger A. Hanke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 1997 12:20:52 -0400

Have run into a problem concerning where my guest class logons get logged.
Am successfully using virtual IPs with Beta 12 version to have different
anonymous accounts and log files for different customers. A number of these
same customers have requested guest class accounts as well to give out to
their more priviledged end users. So they give out the same virtual IP address
for their guest class account end users to use. This way all access, whether
guest account or anonymous for this particular customer (virtual IP) gets
logged into the same unique log file.

The problem I have noticed (only in testing so far thank goodness ;-) is
that I can come in with the same customer guest account but use any IP
that is configured for that particular server and of course they gain access
and are chrooted and everything seems OK. But all of their transfer records
are recorded of course based on the IP they used. So if they use the main
IP of the server it goes to the main WUFTPD xferlog, or if they use another
customers virtual IP address it gets logged in that other customers log
xferlog file. I do not want to have to scan every customers log file (as well
as the system wide xferlog file) for potential stray customer transfer records.
The only other solution I could think of was to go back to logging everyone
to the same place, and then just throw a bunch of resources at processing
this single xferlog file :-(

Anybody think or know of a way to keep separate virtual IP logs but still
be able to completely control where your guest class logins get logged?

	Thanx,
	Roger Hanke