Subject: ANNOUNCE: DCE patch for wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-13

From: Kent Landfield <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 1997 22:53:27 -0500 (CDT)

This is being forwarded for Paul.
-------------------
From:         [email-masked] (Paul B. Henson)

http://www.intranet.csupomona.edu/~henson/www/projects/dce_patches/wu-ftpd/

DCE authentication patch (version 0.8) for Academ wu-ftpd 2.4.2-beta-13
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

This patch adds DCE authentication to Academ's wu-ftpd version
2.4.2-beta-13. You can retrieve this version of wu-ftpd via the URL:

ftp://ftp.academ.com/pub/wu-ftpd/private/wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-13.tar.Z

To apply the patch, acquire and untar the wu-ftpd distribution, change into
the wu-ftpd-2.4 directory and type:

patch -p1 -d . < /path/to/wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-13-dce-0.8.diff

This patch has only been tested under Solaris 2.5/Transarc 1.1, and it
should compile in that environment without any problems. Makefile
modifications for AIX 4.1 were contributed by Mark Plaksin
<[email-masked]>, and you should be able to compile on that platform
with no changes, but I haven't tested it myself.

If you want to use this patch with a different vendor's DCE, you will
need to edit the appropriate Makefile in src/makefiles for your system
and add the correct libraries. You can refer to src/makefiles/Makefile.sol
as an example.

If your OS doesn't support DCE as a naming service, you will need to
replicate your registry in local files for wu-ftpd to work. Solaris
users can install my nss_dce package to integrate DCE into the Solaris
naming service switch:

http://www.intranet.csupomona.edu/~henson/www/projects/nss_dce/

Changes
-------

0.8 - Updated to apply to Academ wu-ftpd 2.4.2-beta-13

    - Included modifications to Makefile.aix for AIX 4.1 as
      contributed by Mark Plaksin <[email-masked]>

0.5 - First publicly released version for wu-ftpd 2.4

--
Paul Henson  |  System Administrator  |  Cal Poly Pomona  |  (909) 869-3781
[email-masked] | finger -l [email-masked] for PGP key

---

From: Alexey Lef <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 1997 14:20:23 +22324502

Interesting... I used "authenticate()" call to make wu-ftpd work with DCE but 
I believe this call exists only in AIX. This approach seems to be more 
portable. Couple of questions:

- Will it work in a mixed DCE / local user environment?
- What happens to credentials files in /var/dce/security/creds after logout? 
On a busy system that directory will become full very quickly.

Thanks,

Alexey

---

From: "Paul B. Henson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 1997 14:20:39 -0700 (PDT)

> I believe this call exists only in AIX.

I think that's true.

> - Will it work in a mixed DCE / local user environment?

Currently, it only uses DCE, and fails if there is no valid DCE account for
the user. However, it could be easily modified to fall back to standard
Unix authentication on DCE failure.

> On a busy system that directory will become full very quickly.

They're purged when the connection closes, so there shouldn't be any
abandoned credentials unless the session terminated abnormally.