Subject: DAMN IT! REMOVE THE REPLY-TO!!

From: Mark Galbraith <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 1997 16:16:08 -0700 (PDT)

I'm getting very tired of hitting "Reply" to send a private reply to
someone on the list, and ending up having my reply blasted to the entire
list.  This has happened too many times now, and I'm just about fed up.

I'm on numerous mailing lists on the Net.  The WU-FTPD list is the only
list left that still mangles the Reply-To header.  This has long been
considered to be "Bad."  It's about time that WU-FTPD caught up with the
times and stopped this practice, now considered undesireable by most of
the Internet.

Please let me know why you insist on mangling the Reply-To header.  I am
very close to resigning from this list over this.  If you are planning
to correct this misbehavior, I'll hold off.  If this doesn't change
soon, I *will* be resigning.

For the list: I would also consider starting a new list for users of
WU-FTPD who are also tired of this behavior.  If this is something you
would be interested in, send a short note to [email-masked]'.

-- 
Mark Galbraith                   Member of The HTML Writers Guild
Engineer, Internet Services	              http://www.hwg.org/
Triad Systems Corporation
(PGP Fingerprint=1CB9 7481 AD5C 5709  690B AC09 7F65 D6F6)

---

From: "Homer W. Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 1997 21:57:05 -0400 (EDT)

In general it is a very bad idea to have mailing lists reply
to the list.  It is not only dangerous personally, but can also
create mail loops.
 
      Homer

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Homer Wilson Smith     News, Web, Telnet      Art Matrix - Lightlink
(607) 277-0959         SunOS 4.1.4 Sparc 20   Internet Access, Ithaca NY
[email-masked]    [email-masked]     http://www.lightlink.com

---

From: Kent Landfield <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 1997 22:16:57 -0500 (CDT)

# > For the list: I would also consider starting a new list for users of
# > WU-FTPD who are also tired of this behavior.  If this is something you
# > would be interested in, send a short note to [email-masked]'.

Starting a new list for this reason alone makes little sense.  I agree that
it is rude to redirect the Reply-To: back to the list. That *should* be 
changed. But creating a splinter list is of little use to the community.

-- 
Kent Landfield                        Phone: 1-817-545-2502             
The Landfield Group                   FAX:   1-817-545-7650             
Email: [email-masked]             http://www.landfield.com/
Please send comp.sources.misc related mail to [email-masked].
Search the Usenet Hypertext FAQ Archive at http://www.faqs.org/faqs/

---

From: "frans stekelenburg" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 1997 11:09:14 +0100

> Date:          Thu, 5 Jun 1997 22:16:57 -0500 (CDT)
> Reply-to:      [email-masked]
> From:          Kent Landfield <[email-masked]>
> To:            [email-masked]
> Cc:            [email-masked], [email-masked]
> Subject:       Re: DAMN IT!  REMOVE THE REPLY-TO!!

> Starting a new list for this reason alone makes little sense.  I agree that it
> is rude to redirect the Reply-To: back to the list. That *should* be changed.
> But creating a splinter list is of little use to the community.
> 

Hear, hear.. and so is cursing.
Posting this as a reasonable request should at least be as affective.
No doubt this (rply-to) can be changed in a jiffy.

--gjs

---

From: Mike Ellwood <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 1997 12:17:13 +0100 (BST)

> soon, I *will* be resigning.

I'm not quite sure what's wrong. I'm using Pine on UNIX.

When I reply, I get the the option to reply to all recipients.
If I reply yes, it goes to the list.

If I reply no, it goes only to the poster.
-- 
[email-masked]

---

From: Kent Landfield <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 1997 08:53:28 -0500 (CDT)

I sent a request last night to the postmaster asking that they remove the
Reply-To: redirect that was part of the list.  (I included some of the
more colorful messages. ;-)) I suspect that others did so as well.  Mark's
initial message went to the list owner. Well it looks as if they have
done so.  This is really more of a test than anything else.  If your mail
reader allows you to take a look at the headers, do so and see if the 
Reply-To: is set back at the list.

---

From: [email-masked] (d. hall)
Date: 06 Jun 1997 10:17:20 -0400

// thus on Thu, 5 Jun 1997 16:16:08 -0700 (PDT), mgg virtually wrote:

mgg> I'm getting very tired of hitting "Reply" to send a private reply to
mgg> someone on the list, and ending up having my reply blasted to the
mgg> entire list.  This has happened too many times now, and I'm just about
mgg> fed up.

"DAMN IT!  CHANGE YOUR MAIL READER!"

Ahem.

A private note the list owner would have sufficed and not made a public
display of crass and rude behavior.  And not all mail readers are created
equal and not everyone has experienced this problem.  I personally prefer
the Reply-To: in lists due to the nature of getting stupid follow-up's in
which brain dead mail readers will place all the applicable addresses
within the To: and CC: headers, therefore I often get two copies of the
same message.

This thread doesn't belong on this list, and forgive my outburst on the
matter.

d.
-- 
              Darren Hall               | phone: 216-241-7166
   Postmaster/Systems Administration    | pager: 216-517-9522
              APK Net Ltd.              | email: [email-masked]