Subject: lamer question: how to get user listing for anonymous users

From: "Michael Ryan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 14:19:36 PDT

so i have read the FAQ and darci's great Solaris 2.5.x guide.  i have
read every word of everything i could find.  made excellent headway.

still cannot get "dir" or "ls" to list user names when i log in as
"anonymous."

can somebody please point me at the doc?

much thanks
//michael
-- 
:: michael ryan , [email-masked]
:: xerox office of the net , 3400 hillview avenue , palo alto , 94304
:: 415 813 7620 , *923 7620

---

From: "Garry T. Williams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 18:55:49 -0400 (EDT)

Michael,

When you log in as anonymous, the server does a chroot to execute your 
session.  This means that /etc/passwd is really a faked copy of the real 
thing sitting in the anonymous directory.  If it doesn't have entries to 
correspond with the user IDs and group IDs on files, ls and dir won't be 
able to display the appropriate names.  

Add appropriate entries to ~ftp/etc/passwd and ls and dir will again 
display user names.  

Garry Williams
ISP Alliance, Inc.
(770) 667-7200 x600

---

From: Jim Davis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 16:42:01 -0700 (MST)

> can somebody please point me at the doc?

Do you mean ls doesn't work at all, or that when you do an ls you see
numbers in the owner and group fields instead of names? 

In the first case, go back to the Sun (not wu-ftpd) in.ftpd man page and
read it until you find the bit you missed.  Also check that /usr/ftp isn't
on a filesystem mounted 'nosuid'.

In the second case, do you have an appropriate /usr/ftp/etc/passwd and
/usr/ftp/etc/group file?

---

From: "Michael Ryan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 09:46:40 PDT

thank you michael.

i read the FAQ again.  sometimes it takes a few times.

i ran truss
> open("/usr/platform/SUNW,Ultra-1/lib/libc_psr.so.1", O_RDONLY) Err#2 
...
> 20483:  open("/usr/lib/libmp.so.1", O_RDONLY)           Err#2 ENOENT        
and created the missing files.

i thought that ls and ls -l both ran.  they did, just not completely.

thank you for your patience.

//michael

Michael Brennen wrote:
> Michael Ryan wrote:
> Try the guest howto; it spends some time on ls setup.  Location should
> be in the FAQ.
> 
>    -- Michael

---

From: Jim Davis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 16:26:15 -0700 (MST)

> and created the missing files.

While you do need libmp.so.1 under 2.5.1 in your ~ftp/usr/lib tree -- and
unfortunately that isn't mentioned in Sun's in.ftpd man page -- anyone
without an Ultra won't have a libc_psr shared library, even though when
you run truss you may still see calls to it.  That library contains
tweaked versions of libc routines but AFAIK there's only been a version
released for Ultras.  It's not strictly necessary in ~ftp/usr/lib on
Ultras either, though if you have it you might as well put it in there.