Subject: Cant get wu-ftpd to log commands

From: Ralph Blach <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 10:22:33 -0400

Hi, 

I am running wuftpd and am trying to get it to do command logging an
an AIX 4.1.5 system.

I have the following ftp access file.

log commands    real,guest,anonymous
log transfers   guest,anonymous inbound,outbound

I have the following commands in my inetd.conf

ftp     stream  tcp     nowait  root    /etc/ftpd         ftpd -a -L

I also have the following line in my syslog.conf 

*.* /local/logs/ftpd.log
/local/lib/ftpd> ls -l /local/logs/ftpd.log

and ls -l of gives

 ls -l /local/logs/ftpd.log
-rw-rw-rw-   1 root     bin            0 Jun 17 14:33
/local/logs/ftpd.log

Does anybod have any ideas??

yes I did a refresh -s syslogd

Chip

---

From: Bill Campbell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 12:15:52 -0700

>log transfers   guest,anonymous inbound,outbound
...
>Does anybod have any ideas??
We're running beta-11 here, and I find that logging isn't done unless
the IP address and logs are specified in the virtual section of the
ftpaccess file.  We have this for one of our ``virtual'' hosts.
virtual 192.136.111.1 root /ftp
virtual 192.136.111.1 banner /ftp/etc/msgs/BANNER
virtual 192.136.111.1 logfile /usr/adm/xferlog

Bill
--
INTERNET:   [email-masked]  Bill Campbell; Celestial Systems, Inc.
UUCP:               camco!bill  PO Box 820; 2835 82nd Avenue S.E. S-100
FAX:            (206) 232-9186  Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820; (206) 236-1676
URL: http://www.celestial.com/

Government spending?  I don't know what it's all about.  I don't know
any more about this thing than an economist does, and, God knows, he
doesn't know much.
		-- Will Rogers

---

From: "Philip Kearney III" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 20:03:28 -0400

On Wed, Jun 18, 1997 at 10:22:33 AM, Ralph Blach <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hi, 
>  
> I am running wuftpd and am trying to get it to do command logging an an 
> AIX 4.1.5 system. 
>  

In ./src/config.h (not the one at the root of the wu-ftpd hierarchy), you will 
see:

#ifndef FACILITY
#define FACILITY LOG_DAEMON
#endif

This is telling it to log stuff to syslog.daemon.  

What I did was add a line to /etc/syslog.conf:

local0.debug    /var/adm/syslog.ftp

Then I added the following lines in ./config.h (not the one in ./src):

/* 
 * Logging normally goes to syslog.daemon, but we want it to go to
 * local0 because we setup local0 to be /var/adm/syslog.ftp in our
 * syslog.conf
 */

#undef FACILITY
#define FACILITY LOG_LOCAL0

Now all of my ftpd logging goes to /var/adm/syslog.ftp.

Hope that helps.

-phil

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Philip Kearney III                mailto:[email-masked] 
Sr. Software Engineer             mailto:[email-masked]
System Administrator              finger [email-masked] for my PGP key
Ascend Communications, Inc.       
Client Software Engineering Group             
----------------------------------------------------------------------------