Subject: guest accounts...

From: Craig Wallace <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 15:43:37 +0100

Hi 

Thanks for all the help recently but i keep getting this error when a
guest account logs in i get this error 

root@maggie[/usr/local/lib/ftpd] ftp maggie
Connected to maggie.point4.com.
220 maggie FTP server (Version wu-2.4.2-academ[BETA-11](3) Mon Dec 9
06:37:02 PST 1996) ready.
Name (maggie:craig): zinc
331 Password required for zinc.
Password:
550 Can't set guest privileges.
Login failed.
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
ftp> 

I presume this has something to do with the ftpaccess file am i right ?

Regards

Craig

Craig Wallace                               Point4
[email-masked]                         Kingston-upon-Thames
http://www.point4.com                       United Kingdom
                                            T:+44(0)181 255 4004
Europe's premier Internet technologists     F:+44(0)181 255 4044

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 10:15:09 -0500 (CDT)

Do you have the -a flag on the inetd.conf line for wu-ftpd?

Is the group for the user zinc on the guestgroup line in ftpaccess?

   -- Michael

---

From: Craig Wallace <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 16:24:52 +0100

> > Using binary mode to transfer files.

Micheal,

The entry in my inetd.conf file is

ftp     stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/local/etc/ftpd     ftpd -a 

and i have an entry in the ftpaccess file that says

 guestgroup zinc ftponly

Do you have an example of what a "guest" entry in the ftpaccess file

I have followed the mort emample but still get that problem.

Just one thing however i am trying to get this account to login to a
part of an nfs mounted file system will this affect this in any way ?

I dont run anonymous ftp on this machine and as such there is no
anonymous ftp environment, but that wouldnt think this would affect this
problem.

The other problem i have is that it doesnt appear to secure then into
there own little area but this may be due to the guest environment not
working correctly.

Regards

Craig

Craig Wallace                               Point4

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 10:34:41 -0500 (CDT)

> ftp     stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/local/etc/ftpd     ftpd -a 

Looks cool; you may want to give the full path to 'ftpd', but if it works
without it.... 

> and i have an entry in the ftpaccess file that says

What group is 'zinc' a member of?  If 'zinc' is a group listed in
/etc/group, this is fine.  If not, pull zinc out and put in its place the
name of zinc's group from the /etc/group file. 

   -- Michael