Subject: Weird permission problems

From: Mark Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 1997 15:46:38 +0100

Hiya.  I've just installed wu-ftp on an AIX 4.1 machine and am having some
strange permission/access problems.

My guest users can log in, get and put files, move around and use the simple
ftp 'ls'.  However, they can't 'pwd', use zip/compress/tar or 'dir'/'ls -l'.
These all fail in various mostly quiet ways.

Oddly, one of my users (which seems to be the same as the others) can use
'pwd' but not any of the "external" commands.  If I allow the root user to
log in, everything works just fine.

I've had a wander around the code and the situation seems to be that the
getcw() routine is returning NULL but no error message.  Any calls to
external programs gets success on its "open" but provides no output.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Mark
|   /               \|/     VISION* Solutions
|  / . __  . _   _  /|\     Yorktown House, 8 Frimley Road
| / / /_  / / \ / \         Camberley, Surrey  V: +44-1276-677707
|/ / __/ /  \_//  /         GU15 3HS, UK       F: +44-1276-676567

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 1997 10:19:58 -0500 (CDT)

This is expected behaviour and is what SITE EXEC is all about.  Read the
INSTALL doc about executables.  If ls -l is not working, get a copy of the
guest howto (if you don't have it) and go over it carefully; it covers ls
installation.

   -- Michael

> These all fail in various mostly quiet ways.

This is the location for the latest wu-ftpd.  You can't see the
directory contents, but get the file anyway.  It's there.

ftp://ftp.academ.com/pub/wu-ftpd/private/wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-13.tar.Z

wu-ftpd FAQ:  http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html
              OR
              send mail to [email-masked]
              with a subject line: send faq

guest howto:  ftp://ftp.fni.com/pub/wu-ftpd/guest-howto
              OR
              send mail to "[email-masked]"
              (immediate autoresponder; subject does not matter)

wu-ftpd Resource Center:  http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/
wu-ftpd list archive:     http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/mail-archive/

There are additional security references in the above docs.

---

From: "Walter Harms" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 1997 17:36:16 +0200 (MET DST)

> external programs gets success on its "open" but provides no output.
 I had equaly problems on my AIX, you must use the setupscript from IBM
 to have all the proper libs etc. Since this it works.

	walter

-- 
-----
"One good solid hope's worth a cartload of certainties!"
-----