Subject: Re: Virtual Hosting Support in WU-FTPD

From: Kent Landfield <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 1997 00:29:11 -0500 (CDT)

# >     # Format:
# >     # ip-address associated-ftpaccess-file
# >     #
# >     # ftpaccess file for the some.domain
# >     #
# >     10.196.145.2 /etc/ftpd/ftpaccess
# 
# Noooo....  If you're going to bother changing this, do it right.  In
# Apache's httpd.conf, I use hostnames entirely rather than IP's so if I
# change a host's IP, I don't have to go change it in bunches of config
# files.  I should be able to have:
# 
# ftp.foo.com   /etc/ftpd/ftpaccess, etc.

Reasonable, but the above is working today as is, that's why it's listed
the way it is.  It was also easy to do.  ;) I'd have no problem adding
hostname support as well.  

# As of beta11, hostnames in ftpaccess virtual FTP options don't work.

I didn't know they ever did.  I guess I never tried them.

# Also, rather than lots of hacking in wu-ftpd, it might make more sense to
# use an inetd that handles virtual servers, and just run wu-ftpd with a
# different ftpaccess file.  Then all you have to do is add a command line
# switch that allows you to say 
# /usr/sbin/wu-ftpd -a /home/virtual/domain1/ftpd/ftpaccess -lio

That's really what you get with this change except that you do not need
to get a separate inetd or complicate it's config file.  Even with that
method you still need the separate ftpaccess files.  What I'm proposing 
is a self contained solution that is working today.

-- 
Kent Landfield                        Phone: 1-817-545-2502             
The Landfield Group                   FAX:   1-817-545-7650             
Email: [email-masked]             http://www.landfield.com/
Please send comp.sources.misc related mail to [email-masked].
Search the Usenet Hypertext FAQ Archive at http://www.faqs.org/faqs/