Subject: Locking customers into home directories

From: "Martin Leach" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 13:13:24 +0000

Hello there,

I am new to this list, and kind of new to wu-ftpd, so bear with me.

I partly help admin and run a linux box which hosts virtual websites.
Now, what we are trying to do is to setup Virtual ftp access to the 
customers web directory, but not give the customer the ability to browse 
upper level directorys.

The virtual ftp bit works, but we are having trouble with the latter bit - 
not allowing access to upper level directories.

User logs into his virtual ftp site, and gets the etc, bin and the html 
directory. Etc contains passwd and group file.
Passwd is :- root:*:0:0:Ftp maintainer::  (with the main one being in 
/etc/passwd)
Group is a direct copy of the one in /etc/group.(just lists the one 
customer's entry)

I have tried using /bin/false, and /bin/csh (or whatever shell !), but 
that again doesn't work. (I don't have the ftponly shell)
I have tried to copy the setup for anonymous ftp, 
but that doesn't seem to work - it still gives the ability of browsing 
upper level directories.

Sorry to ask all this, but I haven't really found anywhere on the web to 
help with this !

Is what we are after possible, or would it be best to use disk quotas 
instead ?

Kernal 2.0.27 , 
Wu-ftpd version :- wu-2.4.2-academ[BETA-13]

So, if anyone could point me in the location of a good FAQ, or even give 
me some pointers on where I am going wrong, I would be grateful !

Cheers,

Martin

---

From: Oliver Stoll <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 14:58:35 +0200

> customers web directory, but not give the customer the ability to browse

Make sure whatever shell you're using that you register it in
/etc/shells,
or the system call to bind the shell will fail. You could probably use
any program which simply "swallows" the standard input as a shell to
prevent telnet access. "/dev/null" actually should work if you write
/dev/null in /etc/shells.

To prevent the CD command out from their native directory, my setup
is like this: I have doubled the user's directory, and am using
a /./ construct to set a chrooted environment.

so a user directory looks like:

/usr/people/bob/./bob

with the other paths:

/usr/people/bob/bin
/usr/people/bob/etc
/usr/people/bob/lib
...

Regards

Oliver

-- 
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/ O l i v e r _/_/_/ S t o l l _/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
_/ Network Manager	     	                       	              _/
_/ Cinetic GmbH			      Please send private e-mail to:  _/
_/ [email-masked]  				                      _/
_/ Tel: +49 (721) 94329-0			[email-masked]  _/
_/ Fax: +49 (721) 94329-22					      _/
_/                                                                    _/
_/ Holmes: Once you've eliminated the obvious, the remainder, however _/
_/         improbable, must be the truth.                             _/
_/ Oliver: The highest probability to a quick solution is always given_/
_/         by applying the most improbable possibility first.         _/
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 08:45:58 -0500 (CDT)

guest ftp will do what you want.  See below.

   -- Michael

> customers web directory, but not give the customer the ability to browse 

This is the location for the latest wu-ftpd.  You can't see the
directory contents, but get the file anyway.  It's there.

ftp://ftp.academ.com/pub/wu-ftpd/private/wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-13.tar.Z

wu-ftpd FAQ:  http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html
              OR
              send mail to [email-masked]
              with a subject line: send faq

guest howto:  ftp://ftp.fni.com/pub/wu-ftpd/guest-howto
              OR
              send mail to "[email-masked]"
              (immediate autoresponder; subject does not matter)

wu-ftpd Resource Center:  http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/
wu-ftpd list archive:     http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/mail-archive/

There are additional security references in the above docs.