Subject: Anonymous user messages

From: Wensong Zhang <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Jun 1997 19:39:06 +0800 (HKT)

First, thanks a lot for help i received from this list. I made a virtual
file system and a static-linked ls on Solaris 2.5.1 just according to your
instructions, and make wu-ftpd work. But, I got a problem that Anonymous
user message doesn't work.

While installing wu-ftpd, i did the following steps:
e5000% gzip -dc wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-13.tar.gz | tar xf -
e5000% cd wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-13
e5000% build sol CC=gcc

# build install

Then copied all the configuration files to /etc directory, the ckconfig
was run to check those files, the result was is as follows:

e5000% bin/ckconfig
Checking _PATH_FTPUSERS :: /etc/ftpusers
ok.

Checking _PATH_FTPACCESS :: /etc/ftpaccess
ok.

Checking _PATH_PIDNAMES :: /var/tmp/ftp.pids-%s
ok.

Checking _PATH_CVT :: /etc/ftpconversions
ok.

Checking _PATH_XFERLOG :: /var/adm/xferlog
I can't find it... 
Don't worry, it will be created automatically by the
server if you do transfer logging.

Checking _PATH_PRIVATE :: /etc/ftpgroups
ok.

Checking _PATH_FTPHOSTS :: /etc/ftphosts
ok.

It just doesn't display ~ftp/welcome.msg to anonymous user, .message files
are not displayed while changing directories. I don't know why.

By the way, I replaced wu-2.4(1) ftpd with wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-13 on my
Linux box (a small ftp server with 3G HD), I mean just the new ftpd was
copied to /usr/sbin/wu.ftpd, anonymous user message doesn't work either.
But the origional one works fine, when the old ftpd is copied to
/usr/sbin/wu.ftpd, anonymous user message works again. So, is there any
compiling option that makes anonymous user message work? I've read all
documents with wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-13 but find nothing with that compiling
option. Any idea?

Thanks a lot,
Wensong

---

From: Riats <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 01 Jun 1997 09:25:54 -0700

Did you give an -a option upon invocation of wu-ftpd (from
inetd.conf)?  If you upgraded your ftpd from an earlier version, 
possibly non-academ, then this should be the problem.  -a option
makes wu-ftpd to read ftpaccess configuration file.  Academ 13
version has the default of -A, that is, ftpaccess is not read
automatically.

And make sure that if ~ftp/welcome.msg is a symbolic link it is
a relative link pointing something in the same chroot()'ed space.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
--
Stair

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Kim, Minsung (Stair in Cyberland)      <mailto:[email-masked]>