Subject: IP addresses not being resolved in the log

From: "P. Kearney III" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 19:43:46 -0400

I recently built and started running beta 13 and when I looked at the logs I 
noticed something different:

Before, when a login was refused, I would get a line that looked like:

Jun 11 14:12:45 valhalla ftpd[3157]: FTP LOGIN REFUSED (bad shell) FROM 
saloon.eng.intercon.com [149.52.12.108], uucp

Now the line looks like this:

Jun 18 19:32:06 valhalla ftpd[29199]: FTP LOGIN REFUSED (bad shell) FROM 
149.52.12.108 [149.52.12.108], uucp

It doesn't seem to be resolving the IP address into a host name.

Could this be something I screwed up in my build or are other folks running 
beta 13 seeing the same thing?

-phil

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Philip Kearney III                mailto:[email-masked] 
Sr. Software Engineer             mailto:[email-masked]
System Administrator              finger [email-masked] for my PGP key
Ascend Communications, Inc.       
Client Software Engineering Group             
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Philip Kearney III" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 21:18:16 -0400

On Wed, Jun 18, 1997 at 7:43:46 PM, "P. Kearney III" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I recently built and started running beta 13 and when I looked at the 
> logs I noticed something different: 
>  
> Jun 18 19:32:06 valhalla ftpd[29199]: FTP LOGIN REFUSED (bad shell) 
> FROM 149.52.12.108 [149.52.12.108], uucp 
>  
> Could this be something I screwed up in my build or are other folks 
> running beta 13 seeing the same thing? 

OK, well, I recompiled everything using gcc as the compiler in ./src/Makefile 
and everything works fine again.  The above behavior occurred when I used cc 
as the compiler.

This is on a SunOS 4.1.4 machine.

I had to make the changes Mike Garner suggested to snprintf.c in ./support in 
order to build beta 13 at all.

But I had to leave cc as the compiler in ./support/Makefile because when I 
changed that Makefile to use gcc, snprintf.c wouldn't compile again.

It works now though.

If anyone can get snprintf.c to compile under gcc, please lemme know how you 
did it.  The file looks fine to me (with Mike's changes).

-phil