Subject: Virtual FTP

From: Dave Crawford <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 11:40:22 -0400

Could someone give a recomendation on a 'Virtual FTP' solution that has
been proven to work.  Then I am looking to do something simlar to what
Craig Wallace is asking about.  For example I have setup a sever hosting
numerous virtual http domains with a directory structure like this:
/www/domain1/index.html
/www/domain2/index.html

I would like to be able to FTP into 'www.domain1.com' and have it dump
the user into /www/domain1/    then I would like the user to be 'locked'
in to their particular directory and not be able to roam outside of it.

-Dave

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 11:21:19 -0500 (CDT)

One more time... guest ftp.  See below.

> in to their particular directory and not be able to roam outside of it.

This is the location for the latest wu-ftpd.  You can't see the
directory contents, but get the file anyway.  It's there.

ftp://ftp.academ.com/pub/wu-ftpd/private/wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-13.tar.Z

wu-ftpd FAQ:  http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html
              OR
              send mail to [email-masked]
              with a subject line: send faq

guest howto:  ftp://ftp.fni.com/pub/wu-ftpd/guest-howto
              OR
              send mail to "[email-masked]"
              (immediate autoresponder; subject does not matter)

wu-ftpd Resource Center:  http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/
wu-ftpd list archive:     http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/mail-archive/

There are additional security references in the above docs.

---

From: Kent Landfield <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 11:36:27 -0500 (CDT)

# Could someone give a recomendation on a 'Virtual FTP' solution that has
# been proven to work.  Then I am looking to do something simlar to what
# Craig Wallace is asking about.  For example I have setup a sever hosting
# numerous virtual http domains with a directory structure like this:
# /www/domain1/index.html
# /www/domain2/index.html
# 
# I would like to be able to FTP into 'www.domain1.com' and have it dump
# the user into /www/domain1/    then I would like the user to be 'locked'
# in to their particular directory and not be able to roam outside of it.

There are multiple ways to do virtual hosting.  There is a FAQ 
"Supporting Virtual FTP Servers in WU-FTPD" located at 
http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/virtual-ftp-faq.html

It describes the way that it supported in the current baselined Beta13 code.
The FAQ also provides access to an "A New Way of Supporting Virtual Hosts in
WU-FTPD" page (http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/newvirt/newvirt.html) that 
describes how to provide complete ftpaccess file support for each virtual host.

There is also "An Alternative Way of Supporting Virtual FTP Servers" 
described in the FAQ.  One of the three methods will support your needs.

I have been running with the complete ftpaccess method (newvirt) with no 
problems for the last few months.  It really is nice having the granularity 
it supports.

-- 
Kent Landfield                        Phone: 1-817-545-2502             
The Landfield Group                   FAX:   1-817-545-7650             
Email: [email-masked]             http://www.landfield.com/
Please send comp.sources.misc related mail to [email-masked].
Search the Usenet Hypertext FAQ Archive at http://www.faqs.org/faqs/