Subject: Guest FTP...

From: Dave Crawford <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 15:49:31 -0400

I've setup a guest ftp account and was wondering if anyone has
experienced this problem:  If I use a package called 'WS-FTP' to login,
I don't get a directory listing, but I can transfer files fine. But if I
use the command line 'ftp' program that comes with Windows 95 I can ftp
in, issue the 'ls' command and a directory shows up just fine...  Any
suggestions?

-Dave

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 1997 09:57:50 -0500

> in, issue the 'ls' command and a directory shows up just fine...  Any

This is what happens when ls is not set up right.  There is an internal
'ls' in wu-ftpd that is run when ls is entered without options.  With
any -?? options the external one is called.  Probably a dynamic library
issue.  The guest howto covers this some.

   -- Michael

---

From: Dave Crawford <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 1997 12:09:41 -0400

> issue.  The guest howto covers this some.

   Yes, it turned out to be a dynamic library issue.  I circumvented the
problem by copy  'ls' from the default anon. ftp/bin directory into the
/bin directory of my guest ftp account.  Being a newbie from the NT
world I have no idea how to replicate the  'Staticlly linked (ELF)' that
'ldd' would return on 'ls'.  Thanks again for everyone's help.
"No better way to learn something, than to force yourself to do it."

-Dave