Subject: anonymous ftp (mozilla@)

From: Josh Cohen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 1997 04:12:35 -0700

Hi,

	I've read back in some of the archive messages, comments
about dealing with the fact that our navigator sends 'mozilla@' as 
the default email password.

	I've also noticed that some FTP sites have specifically
been set up to reject this email address. 

It's been a while since I configured wu-ftp, I am wondering
is this in a recent patch, or are people just configuring their
configuration files to do this ?

There were some issues raised in previous posts, I dont know if
they were resolved or not, but I'd like to point out how and
when that email address is used.

1.  In navigator 3.x and Communicator ( 4.x ), there is an
 option to send the users email address with anonymous FTP
 (instead of the default mozilla@ )

2. Setting up your server to block the 'mozilla@' could make
  it *very* difficult for a user to access your site, if they
  are behind a proxy.  When a user is accessing an FTP site
  via a proxy, the browser doesnt do FTP, it does HTTP. 
  The proxy does the FTP in this case.  Because of this, 
  the browser doesnt actually talk to the FTP daemon.
  The result is that the proxy has a similar 'default'
  email address, which in our case (netscape proxy server )
  is also 'mozilla@'

3. Clients in this predicament should urge their proxy 
  administrators to configure their proxy to send a more
  accurate email address. such as [email-masked].
  For reference, to do this, the administrator simply needs 
  to edit his obj.conf configuration file, and modify
  the line:
   Init fn=init-proxy ......
  to include anon-pw="[email-masked]"
  ie: Init fn=init-proxy anon-pw="user@domain" read-timeout="60"
timeout-2="15" timeout="300"

Im curious what the general feeling is of the ftpd people on this issue, 
and if it remains a significant problem.

Thanks for your time.