Subject: Beta 13 on AIX 4.1.x....

From: Chuq Von Rospach <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 1997 23:21:34 -0700

I've been working on getting the current beta up on an AIX 4.1.4 machine.

One noted typo in src/makefiles/Makefile.aix:

in OBJS, it lists the file as sigfix.c, not sigfix.o. Hence, the
compile dies, and it you do a build clean, it deletes sigfix.c, making
the distribution non-compilable.

Other note: at least on AIX 4.1.4 and later, the need for Bison is
gone. the noted documentation on the yacc bug is no longer relevant...

So I'm now in a position of having it 99% running -- everything but
(ta-da) anonymous users. I've run the anon.ftp setup script per the
FAQ.

chroot ~ftp bin/ls -al works, so I've got the proper shared library for
ls in here.

wu-ftp works fine for normal users. hence, I'm missing a shared library
for ftpd (I believe). you can log in fine, logging works great (in -d
mode, also), you get your welcome banner, you get the .message banners
fine, it recognizes and flags README files -- and as soon as you try
*any* command (ls, dir, cd, binardy, etc...) you get a "421 Service not
available, remote server has closed connection" message -- and the
process is gone.

Sure sounds like a missing shared library post chroot to me, but I'll
be damned if I can figure out which one it is...

Compiled with gcc 2.7.2.2, FWIW.

Hints on what it might be or how to find it?

--
         Chuq Von Rospach ([email-masked]) Apple IS&T Mail List Gnome
                       <http://www.solutions.apple.com/>

 Plaidworks Consulting ([email-masked]) <http://www.plaidworks.com/>
   (<http://www.plaidworks.com/hockey/> +-+ The home for Hockey on the net)

---

From: [email-masked] (Jay Schuster)
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 09:11:07 -0400 (EDT)

> Hints on what it might be or how to find it?

I've been running BETA 12 under AIX 4.1.4 for a while now.  For what I had
to do to set it up (and anon users do work), look at:
    http://www.pcc.com/~jay/src/networking/wu-ftpd-2.4/ORIGINALS/

Here's an ls -lR of /ftp:

    total 48
    dr-xr-xr-x   2 root     system       512 Nov 19 1996  bin
    dr-xr-xr-x   2 root     system       512 Nov 21 1996  dev
    dr-xr-xr-x   2 root     system       512 Nov 19 1996  etc
    dr-x--x--x  57 root     system      1024 May 16 14:42 home
    dr-xr-xr-x   2 root     system       512 Nov 20 1996  lib
    dr-xr-xr-x   4 root     system       512 Nov 19 1996  usr

    bin:
    total 40
    ---x--x--x   1 root     system     18897 Jul 03 1996  ls

    dev:
    total 0
    crw-rw-rw-   1 root     system     2,  2 Jun 11 09:06 null

    etc:
    total 0

    lib:
    total 4232
    -r-xr-xr-x   1 root     system   1653497 Jan 28 08:39 libc.a
    -r--r--r--   1 bin      bin       508441 Jan 28 08:39 libcurses.a

    usr:
    total 16
    d--x--x--x   3 root     system       512 Nov 19 1996  local
    dr-xr-xr-x   3 root     system       512 Nov 19 1996  lpp

    usr/local:
    total 8
    d--x--x--x   2 root     system       512 Nov 19 1996  bin

    usr/local/bin:
    total 504
    ---x--x--x   1 root     system     16283 Jul 05 1996  compress
    ---x--x--x   1 root     system    156395 Jul 05 1996  gtar
    ---x--x--x   1 root     system     78606 Jul 05 1996  gzip

    usr/lpp:
    total 8
    dr-xr-xr-x   3 root     system       512 Nov 19 1996  msg

    usr/lpp/msg:
    total 8
    dr-xr-xr-x   2 root     system       512 Nov 19 1996  C

    usr/lpp/msg/C:
    total 0

-- 
Jay Schuster <[email-masked]>
The People's Computer Company	`Revolutionary Programming'

---

From: Chuq Von Rospach <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 08:15:28 -0700

thanks. it was /dev/null.

(ack. I thought about that, too... But didn't try it...)

chuq