Subject: Re: FTP Uploads

From: "Bill Dyess" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 23:53:59 -0500

A year and half or so ago I made several modifications to wu-ftpd to make
it 
fit a specific situation.  In the process I noticed that the download code
had an alarm call to abort dead transfers, but the upload code didn't,
leaving tons of dead ftpd's lying around if you had a system with frequent
uploads.  I fixed it then, but I figured someone else had noticed it and
the main distribution already had the fix.

Perhaps the bug still exists?  If so, it's easy to fix, just add the alarm
call to the upload code.

Bill Dyess
GulfNet Technologies, Destin

>Nope.  What can be done about aborted uploads to prevent them from
>happening in the first place?  I don't think there is much.  But, when it
>happens repeatedly it wears thin, even on the most understanding.

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 12:02:15 -0500 (CDT)

I appreciate all the comments, but once again the point is not to avoid
hung ftpd daemons; that is a side effect.

The point is to avoid aborted upload (as well as download) sessions; when
the clients can't upload files, that's not cool.  With Internet load being
what it is, 15% to 20% packet losses are not uncommon on some routes,
which can cause real problems with TCP/IP.  Aborted sessions may not be
avoidable, but seems worth asking about FWIW.

   -- Michael