Subject: RedHat 4.2 and Beta13 won't compile -- libc.a error

From: Scott Callaway <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 12:20:27 -0700

I have updated a linux box to RedHat 4.2 and wanted to install
the wu_ftp beta13, but when I run ./build lnx, I get the following
error related to libc.a.

##################
...
gcc -O2 -DDIRENT_ILLEGAL_ACCESS  -fomit-frame-pointer -I.. -I../support
-I/usr/include/bsd -L../support -s   -c hostacc.c -o hostacc.o
gcc -O2 -DDIRENT_ILLEGAL_ACCESS  -fomit-frame-pointer -I.. -I../support
-I/usr/include/bsd -L../support -s   -c sigfix.c -o sigfix.o
make: *** No rule to make target `/usr/lib/libc.a', needed by `ftpd'.  Stop.
...
####################

Even though I do not think this is related, I added 
the -DDIRENT_ILLEGAL_ACCESS flag after going to the FAQ page
<http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html#QA12> .

I also tried compiling the Beta12 version and I got the same error
about '/usr/lib/libc.a' .  Since RedHat comes with the Beta12 version
of wu_ftp, I must just be missing something.

All of the other programs (ftpcount, ftpwho, etc.) compile without
any problems.

Thanks in advance.

-- Scott C.
______________________________________________________________________
  Scott Callaway         [email-masked]          619-231-2600
  Digigami Inc.,   624 Broadway  Suite 200,   San Diego,    CA.  92101
 1:1000               <http://www.digigami.com>
______________________________________________________________________

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 18 Jun 1997 20:11:16 GMT

Pink elephants with an attitude inspired Scott Callaway <[email-masked]> to tell garfield.mail.wu-ftpd:

: I have updated a linux box to RedHat 4.2 and wanted to install
: the wu_ftp beta13, but when I run ./build lnx, I get the following
: error related to libc.a.

: make: *** No rule to make target `/usr/lib/libc.a', needed by `ftpd'.  Stop.

Did you install the libc-static rpm? It contains the libc.a file.

-- 
Perry Rovers ([email-masked])