Subject: How To Set Up Limited FTP Access?

From: Duncan Sterling <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 17:52:07 -0400 (EDT)

Hello,

I've been through the FAQ and the various MAN pages, but still don't have
a clear idea of how to set up a limited-access FTP account.

My goal is to be able set up an account that can connect to our server via
ftp, and put files into a single directory, with no ability to change dirs
from the home dir assigned to the account. I assume it's a matter of
setting up the correct entries int /etc/ftpaccess. 

TIA for any pointers/suggestions!

--Duncan

---

From: Artur Pydo - EuroBretagne <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 10:33:18 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi,

> a clear idea of how to set up a limited-access FTP account.

Take a look at http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/guest-howto.html

Best regards,

Artur Pydo.

********************************************************************
* Eurobretagne               * http://www.eurobretagne.fr/         *
* 32, rue Mirabeau           * ftp://ftp.eurobretagne.fr/          *
* 29480 Le Relecq Kerhuon    * mailto:[email-masked]         *
* France                     * Home : http://www.mygale.org/~pydo/ *
* TEL : +33 (0)2 98 00 46 53 * FAX : +33 (0)2 98 30 52 10          *
********************************************************************

---

From: Duncan Sterling <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 12:25:01 -0400 (EDT)

> Take a look at http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/guest-howto.html

Thanks for the pointer. I've actually seen a number of variants of this
page, but still haven't quite found what I'm looking for.

What I need is a set up where a subset of real users can ftp to a specific
directory which I designate, and cannot 'cd' to any directory other than
the designated specific directory. Also, these accounts should have no
telnet access.

Denying telnet access is simple, and already resolved; locking a real user
to a fixed directory seems not to be.

Again, TIA for any hints/suggestions

--Duncan