Subject: Guest access creating "static"...

From: David Rouleau <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 17:39:59 -0400

LINUX 20.0.27
wuftp 2.4(1)

ls does not work for guests (you can the files, you just can't see them).

2) I keep reading Linux does not need the ~/lib dir if utils in ~/bin are
"dynamically linked" (linked? loaded? linked? ... will someone please make
up their mind!).

2) Then, I read "use statically linked copies if all possible..."  (also
for Linux?  Does this mean I have to recompile ls to "link statically?")

I'm _guessing_ 1 and/or 2 is the reason ls won't work because the
permissions and everything else looks right.

Will someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong.  I have not delved into
links and shell progs yet... right now I just need to get this guest site
runnng.

Examples would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance,
David Rouleau

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 17:09:14 -0500 (CDT)

> "dynamically linked" (linked? loaded? linked? ... will someone please make

Linux DOES need ~lib if the utilities are dynamically linked, does not
need it if statically linked. 

> for Linux?  Does this mean I have to recompile ls to "link statically?")

No, but you have to be consistent one way or the other. Run the following:

ldd ls

If it says that it is statically linked, you are in good shape.  If not,
you will have to put a copy (or a link to a copy) of each library that ldd
mentions in the ~/lib directory. 

   -- Michael