Subject: wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-13 problem

From: Rusty Wright <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 11:34:18 -0700

(I'm not on this mailing list, so please be sure and include me in
your replies.  Thanks.)

I'm trying to upgrade to wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-13 from wu-ftpd-2.4.
Everything is working with version 2.4.  When I replace the 2.4 ftpd
with the 2.4.2-beta-13 ftpd and I try to login as anonymous I get the
error message

	530 User anonymous unknown.

In the config.h file I've made the change

	#undef HOST_ACCESS

As a regular user I can login.

In case there's something wrong with my ftpaccess file, I've included
it below.  Also feel free to critique it for other possible problems.

(I'm not on this mailing list, so please be sure and include me in
your replies.  Thanks.)

================> ftpaccess <================

# define a "dead" class in case we want to "shut down" the ftp server for
# a while (this class, which has a 0-user limit, will print a nice message
# to all new connections telling them to go away and come back later)
#
# class dead_c	real,anonymous			*

#
# class names have _c appended to them, to make them easier
# to identify in this file
#
class		local_c		real,guest,anonymous	*.berkeley.edu
class		remote_c	real,guest,anonymous	*
class		transend_c	real,guest,anonymous transend.cs.berkeley.edu
class		transend_c	real,guest,anonymous transend1.cs.berkeley.edu
class		transend_c	real,guest,anonymous transend2.cs.berkeley.edu
class		transend_c	real,guest,anonymous transend3.cs.berkeley.edu
class		transend_c	real,guest,anonymous transend4.cs.berkeley.edu

#
# the limit on transend_c is unnecessary since we're doing a
# deny down below
#
limit		dead_c		0	Any /tuna_a/servers/ftp/etc/msgs/dead
limit		remote_c	0	Any /tuna_a/servers/ftp/etc/msgs/remote
limit		transend_c	0      Any /tuna_a/servers/ftp/etc/msgs/transend
limit		local_c		20	Any /tuna_a/servers/ftp/etc/msgs/toomany

deny		!nameserved	/tuna_a/servers/ftp/etc/msgs/nameserved
deny		transend.cs.berkeley.edu /tuna_a/servers/ftp/etc/msgs/transend
deny		transend1.cs.berkeley.edu /tuna_a/servers/ftp/etc/msgs/transend
deny		transend2.cs.berkeley.edu /tuna_a/servers/ftp/etc/msgs/transend
deny		transend3.cs.berkeley.edu /tuna_a/servers/ftp/etc/msgs/transend
deny		transend4.cs.berkeley.edu /tuna_a/servers/ftp/etc/msgs/transend

guestgroup	mmxp

private		yes

readme		README*		login
readme		README*		cwd=*

message		msgs/welcome	login
message		.message	cwd=*

compress	yes		local_c remote_c
tar		yes		local_c remote_c

log		transfers	anonymous,guest	inbound,outbound

shutdown	msgs/shutmsg

passwd-check	rfc822		warn

chmod		no		anonymous,guest
delete		no		anonymous,guest
overwrite	no		anonymous,guest
umask		no		anonymous,guest

upload		/tuna_a/ftp	*		no

email		[email-masked]

loginfails	2

---

From: Rusty Wright <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 13:32:35 -0700

Yes, it's in both /etc/passwd and ~ftp/etc/passwd.

   From: Kent Landfield <[email-masked]>
   Subject: Re: wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-13 problem
   To: rusty
   Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 15:21:22 -0500 (CDT)

   # 
   # (I'm not on this mailing list, so please be sure and include me in
   # your replies.  Thanks.)
   # 
   # I'm trying to upgrade to wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-13 from wu-ftpd-2.4.
   # Everything is working with version 2.4.  When I replace the 2.4 ftpd
   # with the 2.4.2-beta-13 ftpd and I try to login as anonymous I get the
   # error message
   # 
   # 	530 User anonymous unknown.
   # 

   Check and make sure that the user "ftp" is in the /etc/passwd file.

   -- 
   Kent Landfield                        Phone: 1-817-545-2502             
   The Landfield Group                   FAX:   1-817-545-7650             
   Email: [email-masked]             http://www.landfield.com/
   Please send comp.sources.misc related mail to [email-masked].
   Search the Usenet Hypertext FAQ Archive at http://www.faqs.org/faqs/