Subject: Setting up users home directories.

From: Danny Calamaro <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 03:10:48 +0200

Hi All,

I have installed wu-ftp on a netra running Solaris 5.5.1.
The anonymous side of things works fine, but I cannot get it to work
when I login as a user. 

I've created the directory ~/bin and put a copy of /usr/bin/ls, and the
~/etc/ and put a copy of /export/ftp/etc/passwd & the group, although I
havn't changed anything of these file,

But I get the following error. :-(

220 GIB FTP server (Version wu-2.4(2) Mon Jun 2 13:16:34 MET DST 1997)
ready.
Name (gib.gibnet.gi:dan): dan
331 Password required for dan
Password:
230 User dan logged in.  Access restrictions apply.
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
ftp> ls
200 PORT command successful.
425 Can't create data socket (0.0.0.0,20): Bad file number.

Can anyone offer any help with this.

Many Thks

Danny

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 21:58:22 -0500 (CDT)

This is a FAQ (also covered in the guest howto).

   -- Michael

> 425 Can't create data socket (0.0.0.0,20): Bad file number.

This is the location for the latest wu-ftpd.  You can't see the
directory contents, but get the file anyway.  It's there.

ftp://ftp.academ.com/pub/wu-ftpd/private/wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-13.tar.Z

wu-ftpd FAQ:  http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html
              OR
              send mail to [email-masked]
              with a subject line: send faq

guest howto:  ftp://ftp.fni.com/pub/wu-ftpd/guest-howto
              OR
              send mail to "[email-masked]"
              (immediate autoresponder; subject does not matter)

wu-ftpd Resource Center:  http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/
wu-ftpd list archive:     http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/mail-archive/

There are additional security references in the above docs.

---

From: Greg Shepherd <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 10:03:22 -0700

Okay, I got the guest accounts working great. Now the trouble is the
cooperation with our Netscape Web server (2.0).

To publish from a users home directory, N2.0 reads the /etc/passwd file to
find the location of the home directories. But for guest privs. to work,
the home dir in /etc/passwd is:

/home/users/uname/./

the dot (.) is confussing the web server. Any clues?

Greg

===================================================================
Greg Shepherd
Springfield Public Schools
Systems Engineer
(541) 726-3268
[email-masked]

"...It is somewhat of a rude awakening for many of these parents to
     find that America is facing a most serious situation regarding its
     popular music. Welfare workers tell us that never in the history of
     our land have there been such immoral conditions among our
     young people, and in the surveys made by many organizations
     regarding these conditions, the blame is laid on jazz music and its
     evil influence on the young people of today... That it has a
     demoralizing effect upon the human brain has been demonstrated
     by many scientists."
                                           - Ladies Home Journal, 1921
===================================================================