Subject: path-filter problem

From: "Mona Wong" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 11:17:53 -0700

Hi wu-ftpd users:

	I am using wu-ftpd 2.4.2 beta 13 on SunOS 4.1.X.

	I tried to use the path-filter line recommended by both the O'Reilly
book and the wu-ftpd documentation:

path-filter anonymous /etc/filename.msg ^[-A-Za-z0-9._]*$ ^. ^-

	However, the disallow character part (^. ^-) doesn't work.  wu keeps
saying that the file isn't allowed when I am using a valid filename.  If I
remove the disallowed character part:

path-filter anonymous /etc/filename.msg ^[-A-Za-z0-9.-]*$

	then it works fine.

	I would like to have the disallow character specification so does
anyone know what is wrong?

Mona

-- 
===============================================================
Mona Wong, Programmer & Web Administrator
National Center for Microscopy and Imaging Research
University of California, San Diego
http://www-ncmir.ucsd.edu
===============================================================

---

From: Hristo Kirow <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 21:30:22 +0300

Hi,
I use:

path-filter  anonymous  /.msgs/pathmsg  ^[-A-Za-z0-9_\.]*$  ^\.  ^-

And it looks fine.
Best regards.
-- 
    _/    _/    _/_/_/    _/_/_/      Hristo N. Kirov
   _/    _/  _/        _/             http://www.uni-sofia.bg/~hristo
  _/    _/  _/        _/              mailto:[email-masked] 
 _/    _/  _/        _/               ico  on  IRC,  Chanel: #bulgaria
  _/_/      _/_/_/    _/_/_/          (359 2)625 657 9, (359 2)963 328 2

---

From: Emil Isberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 00:49:03 +0200 (MET DST)

> Hi wu-ftpd users:

Hello wu-ftpd user.
:-)

> path-filter anonymous /etc/filename.msg ^[-A-Za-z0-9._]*$ ^. ^-

This is broken (I noticed it earlier but forgot to mention it .. somehow)
..

The problem is that '^.' is a regexp that will match anything beginning
with any character. But it should be matching anything beginning with a
dot. So for that to work you need to escape the dot in the regexp as in
'^\.'. Pretty easy, right?

The escape char '\' is needed because dot is a special char for a regexp.
But it isn't needed in the '^-' regexp as '-' isn't special (what I know).

Hope this is of any help.

-- 
/Emil
           "In a world without fences, who needs Gates?"
                                                ...Linux users