Subject: Guest write permissions in sub-dir

From: Karsten Thygesen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 17:20:59 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi

After upgrading to beta-13 (from beta-10) in Solaris-2.5.1, I'm
struggling with a strange problem. My guest accounts can write in their
home-directories, but not in any subdirectories. They get permissions
denied (upload) or something similar.

Is this a new feature and how can I then make i possible for them to
maintain subdirectories within their own home-directory?

Best,
Karsten

-- 
M.Sc.E.E, Sys/Net-administrator, BOFH, Aalborg University, Denmark
http://www.kom.auc.dk/~karthy/ for more information.
SunSITE Denmark Manager (http://sunsite.auc.dk/)

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 10:33:19 -0500 (CDT)

> denied (upload) or something similar.

I'm having no trouble here with this.  A couple of questions:

Do they actually own/have write permissions to the directory?  From your
.sig (Sunsite manager for .dk) I fully expect you have checked all this
out pretty thoroughly. :) 

Do you have any controls in /etc/ftpaccess that block the write?  upload
directives?  overwrite (a compilation option also)?  ???

   -- Michael

---

From: Karsten Thygesen <[email-masked]>
Date: 05 Jun 1997 14:37:01 +0200

>>>>> "Michael" == Michael Brennen <[email-masked]> writes:

Michael> On Tue, 3 Jun 1997, Karsten Thygesen wrote:
>> struggling with a strange problem. My guest accounts can write in
>> their home-directories, but not in any subdirectories. They get
>> permissions denied (upload) or something similar.

Michael> I'm having no trouble here with this.  A couple of questions:

Michael> Do they actually own/have write permissions to the directory?
Michael> From your .sig (Sunsite manager for .dk) I fully expect you
Michael> have checked all this out pretty thoroughly. :)

Yes :-)

Michael> Do you have any controls in /etc/ftpaccess that block the
Michael> write?  upload directives?  overwrite (a compilation option
Michael> also)?  ???

I had

upload  /data/ftp  *             no
upload  /data/ftp  /bin          no
upload  /data/ftp  /etc          no
upload  /data/ftp  /usr          no
upload  /data/ftp  /home        yes dirs

That did work just fine i beta-10, where the /home area was fully
writeable (if the unix-permissions was OK).

In beta-13, it seems, that the "*" matches any directories not
explicitly determined in other upload lines. In other words, guests
are able to write in /home/guestname but not in /home/guestname/subdir

I still do not understand why (and I haven't noticed any change in the
documentation on this point). 

The solution was to remove the "*" line - now guests can write in
their own sub-dirs.

Best
Karsten

---

From: Mark Galbraith <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 1997 16:00:32 -0700 (PDT)

>>>>> "Karsten" == Karsten Thygesen <[email-masked]> writes:

Karsten> Yes :-)

Karsten> I had

Karsten> upload  /data/ftp  *             no
Karsten> upload  /data/ftp  /bin          no
Karsten> upload  /data/ftp  /etc          no
Karsten> upload  /data/ftp  /usr          no
Karsten> upload  /data/ftp  /home        yes dirs

Karsten> That did work just fine i beta-10, where the /home area was fully
Karsten> writeable (if the unix-permissions was OK).

Karsten> In beta-13, it seems, that the "*" matches any directories not
Karsten> explicitly determined in other upload lines. In other words, guests
Karsten> are able to write in /home/guestname but not in /home/guestname/subdir

Karsten> I still do not understand why (and I haven't noticed any change in the
Karsten> documentation on this point). 

Karsten> The solution was to remove the "*" line - now guests can write in
Karsten> their own sub-dirs.

Disclaimer: I've not yet upgraded.  I'm still using the 2.4 release.  My
suggestions may not make any difference in your installation.  I only
report what I had to do to make this work.

I did something else to enable this.  First, if you have a "*" line, you
don't need the "/bin, /etc, and /usr" lines.  They are redundant.

Now, you already have a "/home" entry.  The only thing you are missing
is a line for the sub directories.  Try adding:

    upload  /data/ftp  /home/*      yes dirs

to your ftpaccess file and see what happens.  This seems to be working
for me on the 2.4 release.

-- 
Mark Galbraith                   Member of The HTML Writers Guild
Engineer, Internet Services	              http://www.hwg.org/
Triad Systems Corporation
(PGP Fingerprint=1CB9 7481 AD5C 5709  690B AC09 7F65 D6F6)