Subject: wu-ftpd, Solaris, and chroot

From: Allen Hyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 May 1997 23:48:59 -0500

Hello,
  I am in need of a little advice/help.  I presently run a web server on
FreeBSD, and allow my customers to ftp their pages.  We use wuftpd on this
machine.  We put these accounts in the same group, then make that group
guestgroup.  wuftpd chroot's their home directory.  We put /bin/ls in their
home directory, and all works well.

  Now, I am changing this machine to an UltraSPARC running Solaris 2.5.1.
I have wuftpd up and running, and have the same functionality from above
working.  Here's the problem.  For all to work well, I had to put almost
2mb worth of library and data files under the home directory for ls to
function.  I have 400 accounts to transfer to this machine.  Do I really
have to "waste" 800mb of disk space just to set this up?

  I am hoping there is a better way.  I read in the faq about statically
linking ls, but the faq points to another faq for how to do this on
Solaris.  I went to the second faq, but got lost pretty quick.  Anyone have
a good solution?

Thanks for any help,

Allen Hyer
System Administrator
West Texas Rural Telephone

---

From: "Kari E. Hurtta" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 19:34:12 +0300 (EDT)

> have to "waste" 800mb of disk space just to set this up?

Why waste? You need that many library and data files than you have 
partitions where you put these home directories. Same file can
be several names in unixes. Just create several names (links). Just
don't create soft links.