Subject: Re: FTP Uploads

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 19:18:08 -0500 (CDT)

As you probably know, physical geographically has little to do with
Internet geography.  Staying within MCI you are probably fine; I don't
know if your server is through MCI also. 

I'm in Dallas, but when MCI has congestion through Chicago (as I saw this
afternoon while trying to trace a problem to Kansas City) it doesn't
matter. It's easy to contact a site across town that bounces traffic
through either coast, and the problems are seldom local. 

The question is not whether congestion exists or not; on today's Internet
that all too frequently a way of life.

The question is: what can be done to survive it? 

   -- Michael

On Thu, 19 Jun 1997, Dave Crawford wrote:

> Michael Brennen wrote:
> 
> > Nope.  What can be done about aborted uploads to prevent them from
> > happening in the first place?  I don't think there is much.  But, when
> > it happens repeatedly it wears thin, even on the most understanding.
> 
>    Where are you geographically?  Maybe it's a hub problem around your
> area.  I'm in western Connecticut and have an MCI account that I use to
> administer my server which is in eastern CT and haven't had a problem
> yet. (except my Zoom never connects faster than 24,000).
> 
> -Dave

---

From: Dave Crawford <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 20:27:56 -0400

> know if your server is through MCI also.

No, my server is connected via PrimeNet...

> The question is: what can be done to survive it?

PopTarts...  throw 'em in the toaster for three minutes, and when I come
back to the computer; the congestion is gone.....   ;-)

-Dave