Subject: noretrieve --> ~ftp/etc/group and ~ftp/etc/pwd.db

From: Scott Callaway <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 1997 18:03:39 -0700

I am running wu_ftp 2.4 on a BSDI 2.1 box.

In the file /etc/ftpaccess , I have set the following line to 
TRY to stop folks from being able to ftp a copy of the group and/or 
passwd data base files.  (~ftp/etc/group and ~ftp/etc/pwd.db)

# Protected files, not to be retrieved at any time!
noretrieve /etc/passwd /etc/group /etc/shadow /etc/pwd.db /etc/spwd.db 
core pwd.db group /home/ftp/etc/pwd.db /home/ftp/etc/group

%%%%

Can anyone give me an idea of how to do this?

Thanks in advance.

-- Scott C.
______________________________________________________________________
  Scott Callaway         [email-masked]          619-231-2600
  Digigami Inc.,   624 Broadway  Suite 200,   San Diego,    CA.  92101
 1:1000               <http://www.digigami.com>
______________________________________________________________________

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 20:56:36 -0500 (CDT)

Which version of wuftpd?  If it is not a recent beta it may not honor the
noretrieve keyword.  Info on the beta is below.

   -- Michael

> Can anyone give me an idea of how to do this?

This is the location for the latest wu-ftpd.  You can't see the
directory contents, but get the file anyway.  It's there.

ftp://ftp.academ.com/pub/wu-ftpd/private/wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-13.tar.Z

wu-ftpd FAQ:  http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html
              OR
              send mail to [email-masked]
              with a subject line: send faq

guest howto:  ftp://ftp.fni.com/pub/wu-ftpd/guest-howto
              OR
              send mail to "[email-masked]"
              (immediate autoresponder; subject does not matter)

wu-ftpd Resource Center:  http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/
wu-ftpd list archive:     http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/mail-archive/

There are additional security references in the above docs.

---

From: Scott Callaway <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 1997 11:34:05 -0700

>noretrieve keyword.  Info on the beta is below.

If I ftp to the machine I get the following
text returned  
"FTP server (Version wu-2.4(2) Tue Jan 7 08:37:31 EST 1997)"

Does this mean we have Beta2 or ??

Can you tell me how to figure out which version it is for sure?

The version in our previous sysadmins account that he compiled was
2.4 Beta-11.  However, the version he compiled is different than
the version that is currently running (I used 'cmp').  I'm in the 
process of figuring out what he was doing.

thanks,

-- Scott C.

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 1997 13:55:08 -0500 (CDT)

You don't have a beta at all.  You've got the *old* one.  The (2) is the
number of times it has been compiled. 

   -- Michael