Subject: Problem when denying access

From: "P. Kearney III" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 20:05:39 -0400

I have an entry in my ftpaccess file:

deny *.foo.com /etc/ftpdenymsg

The file exists in /export/ftp/etc/:

-rw-r--r--  1 root     daemon        611 Jun 13 18:58 ftpdenymsg

Even in /etc I have a sym link to it:

lrwxrwxrwx  1 root     staff          26 Jun 13 19:00 ftpdenymsg -> /export/
ftp/etc/ftpdenymsg

When a user from foo.com tries to login, they are kicked out, but the deny 
message is never displayed, all they get is:

ftp> open ftp.intercon.com
Connected to valhalla.intercon.com.
220 valhalla FTP server (Version wu-2.4(4) Wed Jun 11 04:10:46 EDT 1997) 
ready.
221 Server shutting down.  Goodbye.

In the syslog, all I get is one entry:

Jun 13 19:40:40 valhalla ftpd[18680]: FTP session closed

When I look in access.c, it is supposed to be putting an entry in the syslog 
and also displaying the message file, at least according to the access_ok() 
function:

    if (acl_deny(msgfile)) {
        pr_mesg(msgcode, msgfile);
        syslog(LOG_NOTICE, "ACCESS DENIED (deny command) TO %s [%s]",
               remotehost, remoteaddr);
        return (0);
    }

It this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

Oh...this is under SunOS 4.1

-phil

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Philip Kearney III                mailto:[email-masked] 
Sr. Software Engineer             mailto:[email-masked]
System Administrator              finger [email-masked] for my PGP key
Ascend Communications, Inc.       
Client Software Engineering Group             
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "P. Kearney III" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 21:04:09 -0400

On Fri, Jun 13, 1997 at 8:05:39 PM, "P. Kearney III" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> lrwxrwxrwx  1 root     staff          26 Jun 13 19:00 ftpdenymsg -> /
> export/ ftp/etc/ftpdenymsg 
>  
>  
> When a user from foo.com tries to login, they are kicked out, but the 
> deny message is never displayed, all they get is: 

OK...I was wrong.

If I have that file in /export/ftp/etc/ and the link in /etc, the server 
doesn't run at all.  Nobody can connect.

If I remove the file from /export/ftp/etc/, users can connect again.

If I remove the link and just change the deny line in ftpaccess to point to 
the real file instead of the link, everthing works perfectly, the deny message 
is even displayed.

deny *.foo.com /export/ftp/etc/ftpdenymsg

Maybe I just read INSTALL incorrectly.

In 11 it says that all messages must be in the anonymous ftp hierarchy.  Then 
in 12 is says you must create a link for shutdown to work correctly.  I 
assumed that you had to do the same thing for all other messages like deny, 
toomany, etc.

Do I just remove the links for all my messages and point the ftpd at the real 
files in my anonymous ftp hierarchy?

-phil