Subject: Home dir glob hack ?

From: Vomitron <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 13:14:29 -0400 (EDT)

Hello all,

We are running Redhat Linux ~4.1 and wu-ftpd-beta12/13

Is there a patch or anything out there that will force a chroot to /home
for real users ??

TIA

--
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
  (   [email-masked]  "The matrix folds itself around me like an origami
 ) \                      trick...And the room smells of sweat and burning
( ( )                     circuitry."  - William Gibson, "Burning Chrome"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 22:20:41 -0500 (CDT)

guest ftp -- see the howto below.

   -- Michael

> Is there a patch or anything out there that will force a chroot to /home

This is the location for the latest wu-ftpd.  You can't see the
directory contents, but get the file anyway.  It's there.

ftp://ftp.academ.com/pub/wu-ftpd/private/wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-13.tar.Z

wu-ftpd FAQ:  http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html
              OR
              send mail to [email-masked]
              with a subject line: send faq

guest howto:  ftp://ftp.fni.com/pub/wu-ftpd/guest-howto
              OR
              send mail to "[email-masked]"
              (immediate autoresponder; subject does not matter)

wu-ftpd Resource Center:  http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/
wu-ftpd list archive:     http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/mail-archive/

There are additional security references in the above docs..

---

From: [email-masked] (Wolf N. Paul)
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 22:20:20 +0200 (MET DST)

Vomitron writes,

> Is there a patch or anything out there that will force a chroot to /home

I haven't actually tried this, but shouldn't it work to simply declare
all users as "guest" and write their home dir entry in /etc/passwd as
"/users/login/./" ??

Please remember, though, that when you do that you need to duplicate
/etc, /lib, /bin and maybe some others, populated with the appropriate
files, in each user's home directory.
-- 
Wolf N. Paul                                      e-mail: [email-masked] 
Podlahagasse 88A                                     phone: +43-1-774-1947
A-1220 Vienna-Austria, Europe                          fax: +43-1-774-3699
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by ignorance.

---

From: "James L. McGill" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 12:59:37 -0500 (CDT)

>all users as "guest" and write their home dir entry in /etc/passwd as

Of course, this scheme breaks any utility that gets the user's home 
directory by reading /etc/passwd, doesn't it?

--
g-r-a-t-e-f-u-l-l-y---[   email:<[email-masked]>   ]---l-i-v-i-n-g
d-e-a-d-i-c-a-t-e-d---[     http://www.conservatory.com/      ]-----l-i-g-h-t
Disco is to music what Etch-A-Sketch is to art.

---

From: Bas Meijer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 10:28:44 +0200

>files, in each user's home directory.

Note: /etc /lib some stuff from /bin should be duplicated to where they are
chrooted to (their homedir can be somewhere else)

Bas Meijer

/'''    Bas Meijer      http://www.worldonline.nl/~brmeijer
c-OO    ---- A u d a x   T r o s   M u l t i m e d i a ----
\  >    Ceintuurbaan 2    1217HN   Hilversum    Netherlands
 \&&    Phone  +31 (0)35 6254545