Subject: wu-ftpd-academ & conversions

From: Peter Greis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 08:41:04 -0400 (EDT)

Still not working.....

Solaris 2.5.1, wu-ftpd-academ, all "on-the-fly" features are not working.
I have double checked all of the executables with 'ldd'. I thought that
I would focus on getting compress to work first... the two relevant
lines from ftpconversions are:

 :.Z:  :  :/bin/site-exec compress -d -c 
%s:T_REG|T_ASCII:O_UNCOMPRESS:UNCOMPRESS
 :  :  :.Z:/bin/site-exec/compress -c %s:T_REG:O_COMPRESS:COMPRESS

I have traced the running daemon (gdb) and it is finding the
exectuables... something in the piping mechanism seems to have
gone astray (I did install a patch from one kind list-lurker, this
eliminated a SIGVEC that was being thrown).

We're stumped... is there some other directory or executable that
needs to be present when setting this up under Solaris? Perhaps
something that 'pipe' calls?

regards,

-peter

===================================================================
Peter Greis           [email-masked]       [email-masked]
Toolsmyth
The MathWorks, Inc.                   <NeXT & MIME mail accepted>
N1YDE                                 Registered Be Developer
                 "Hakuna Matata" - The Lion King
===================================================================

---

From: Dan Niles <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 10:17:29 -0500

> Still not working.....
[clip]
> something that 'pipe' calls?

Make sure you have all of the following devices in ~ftp/dev

crw-r--r--   1 root      13,   2 Jan 29  1996 null
crw-rw-rw-   1 root      11,  42 Jan 29  1996 tcp
crw-r--r--   1 root     105,   1 Jan 29  1996 ticotsord
crw-r--r--   1 root      11,  41 Jan 29  1996 udp
crw-r--r--   1 root      13,  12 Jan 29  1996 zero

Your device numbers might be different, check in /dev.  The problem
you are having sounds like a problem that occurs when one of the device
files is missing (I don't remember which one, zero I think).

Hope that helps,

Dan Niles

-- 
#--------------------------------#
# Dan Niles      Signatures      #
# [email-masked]   should be small #
#--------------------------------#

---

From: Peter Greis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 11:30:39 -0400 (EDT)

Yup, I just figured that out. Thanks to everyone for the help
I received on this list!

-peter

---

From: Marta Ferreyra <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 13:26:17 -0300 (ARST)

I'm new in this list and I'll install wu-ftpd. I need to know if I can do
that when the users connect with ftp to theirs account with theirs
usernames and password, they couldn't move across another directories and
they couldn't get anothe file that these that they have in theirs home
directories.
I had read about chroot but I don't know how to use it.
Can you help me please!!!

I don't speak english very well, I hoop that you andestand my question

thanks in advance

+-------------------------+
|         ARGENET         |
|   Ing. Marta Ferreyra   |
|  [email-masked]  |
+-------------------------+

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 12:06:57 -0500 (CDT)

Guest FTP will do what you want; information on the howto is below.

   -- Michael

> they couldn't get anothe file that these that they have in theirs home

This is the location for the latest wu-ftpd.  You can't see the
directory contents, but get the file anyway.  It's there.

ftp://ftp.academ.com/pub/wu-ftpd/private/wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-13.tar.Z

wu-ftpd FAQ:  http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html
              OR
              send mail to [email-masked]
              with a subject line: send faq

guest howto:  ftp://ftp.fni.com/pub/wu-ftpd/guest-howto
              OR
              send mail to "[email-masked]"
              (immediate autoresponder; subject does not matter)

wu-ftpd Resource Center:  http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/
wu-ftpd list archive:     http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/mail-archive/

There are additional security references in the above docs.

---

From: Gerald Litteer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 11:24:04 -0600

No problem...just trying to add stuff for the new Netscape licenses, etc.
I'll grab them in a pass-thru!

--
------------------------------------------------------------------
Gerald (Jerry) Litteer
Scientific Technical Support      INTERNET:  [email-masked]
Lockheed-Martin Idaho Technologies
Idaho National Engineering Lab.   Phone: (208) 526-9117
POB 1625 M.S. 3640  
Idaho Falls, Id. 83415-3640       FAX:   (208) 526-2641
------------------------------------------------------------------

"Machines were mice and men were lions once upon a time.
 But, now that it's the opposite, it's twice upon a time."

                        -- Moondog (Louis Hardin), 1960's