Subject: Locking User Homes

From: Greg Shepherd <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 11:18:50 -0700

I've set up a guest group (client) just like:

URL:ftp://ftp.fni.com/pub/wu-ftpd/guest-howto

and I'm running b13 on Sol2.5.1, but still no chroot!?!?

What am I missing?

Greg

---

From: Greg Shepherd <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 11:31:08 -0700

Let me try to be more specific. It appears chroot works from some clients,
while others simply won't allow any connection. I have an etc and bin
directory with statically linked ls and cd. Some time ago, someone posted
that a dev directory was also necessary, but it is not on the instuctions
below. Any feedback?

Thanks,
Greg

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 12:44:34 -0500 (CDT)

In almost all cases it has come down to some detail somewhere that was
overlooked.  The details really do count getting guests set up.  Fred
Ringel has some trouble a few months ago that was really strange, but I
don't remember the nature of it.  Fred, are you still on the list? 

   -- Michael

---

From: Bob Luckin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 May 97 12:45:46 CDT

> that a dev directory was also necessary, but it is not on the instuctions

Check the original ftpd man page which came with Solaris (not the one
included with the WU distribution).  This has instructions for all the
files you need to copy over for an anonymous installation.  Mine says

        ~ftp/dev    Make this directory owned by the super-user  and
                 unwritable  by  anyone.  First perform ls -lL on
                 the device files listed below to determine their
                 major  and  minor  numbers,  then  use  mknod to
                 create them in this directory.

                 /dev/zero
                 /dev/tcp
                 /dev/udp
                 /dev/ticotsord

but yours may differ, as I'm on Solaris 2.5, not 2.5.1...

Good luck !

Cheers, Bob
-- 
Bob Luckin      [email-masked]      "A man, a plan, a canal, Suez !"

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 12:48:57 -0500 (CDT)

The /dev requirements may be at the foot of the guest howto; there are
some OS specific notes there that may help.

A static ls has nothing to do with connecting, so there is something else
there.  Are your users in multiple groups?  Are all groups listed in
/etc/ftpaccess?  Are those users' shells listed in /etc/shells? 

   -- Michael