Subject: Re: ftpck 1.4 - additional notes

From: [email-masked] (John Attwood)
Date: Thu, 8 May 97 18:35:53 BST

Hi Kent,

Nice effort - thanks. It found some minor problems on my setup, too. 

We don't use virtual servers here at all and I had to make a small mod
to ftpck.c to get it to compile, otherwise the build died with a
_PATH_FTPSERVERS not defined error:-

% diff -e ftpck.c.org ftpck.c
2482a
#endif
.
2481a
#ifdef VIRTUAL_SERVER
.

I think this should be distributed along with the wu-ftpd package and
built into the Makefile so that it is possible to run it with "make
test".

It would be great if it could also check the ownership/permissions of
~ftp/dev ~ftp/usr ~ftp/etc and anything inside them. Also if it could
recursively check ~ftp for anything which could be written to or altered
by an anonymous user (unless it is defined in an uploads directive in
ftpaccess). I have found in the past that, although these things
are usually set up carefully at the outset, they have a habit of slipping
as time goes by. Since checking the whole of ~ftp might be a long job, this
would be better made a non-default option.

I see that the above are on your todo list. An extra wish item from me
would be a -n switch which didn't check anything at all, but simply
listed everything (item by item, not just file by file) that would have
been checked without the switch being specified. This would make the
output much more reassuring once everything complained about had been
fixed.

John Attwood.

---

From: Kent Landfield <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 May 1997 13:12:43 -0500 (CDT)

# We don't use virtual servers here at all and I had to make a small mod
# to ftpck.c to get it to compile, otherwise the build died with a
# _PATH_FTPSERVERS not defined error:-

Yep, that was one of the corrections I just made... ftpck.1.4.1 has been 
uploaded.

# I think this should be distributed along with the wu-ftpd package and
# built into the Makefile so that it is possible to run it with "make
# test".

I plan on contributing this to Stan in hopes that he'll incorporate it into 
wu-ftpd's build and source tree once we have a comprehensive version.
 
# It would be great if it could also check the ownership/permissions of
# ~ftp/dev ~ftp/usr ~ftp/etc and anything inside them. Also if it could
# recursively check ~ftp for anything which could be written to or altered
# by an anonymous user (unless it is defined in an uploads directive in
# ftpaccess). I have found in the past that, although these things
# are usually set up carefully at the outset, they have a habit of slipping
# as time goes by. Since checking the whole of ~ftp might be a long job, this
# would be better made a non-default option.

;-)  I plan on the above as soon as the configuration files are nailed down.

# I see that the above are on your todo list. An extra wish item from me
# would be a -n switch which didn't check anything at all, but simply
# listed everything (item by item, not just file by file) that would have
# been checked without the switch being specified. This would make the
# output much more reassuring once everything complained about had been
# fixed.

Sort of a "tell me what I'm testing switch".. Hmm... Good idea! I had not
thought of that.  I just put it on my todo list.  And please don't hesitate 
in letting me know what you run into.

Thanks John!  

-- 
Kent Landfield                        Phone: 1-817-545-2502             
The Landfield Group                   FAX:   1-817-545-7650             
Email: [email-masked]             http://www.landfield.com/
Please send comp.sources.misc related mail to [email-masked].
Search the Usenet Hypertext FAQ Archive at http://www.faqs.org/faqs/