Subject: trouble with some graphical clients

From: "Jaime G. Ghirelli" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 May 1997 19:41:57 -0500 (CDT)

I installed wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-13 on a linux box 2.0.26 
everything worked nicely for two months or so. Including virtual hosts et
all.

But now, graphical clients like cute ftp, and ws_ftp don't work well when
logging in with username/password

filenames appear with some junk before and after

The strange thing is that access works ok with non graphical clients from
win95 or NT.

It also works ok for anonymous access with all clients

What could have changed in our configuration that broke this ?

Thanks for the info,

Jaime Garcia

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 May 1997 18:05:30 -0500 (CDT)

I don't use it, but sounds like cute ftp has the wrong server OS type
selected.  Can it do autoselect, or can you specify the server OS type? 

   -- Michael

---

From: Dalvenjah FoxFire <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 00:39:38 -0700 (PDT)

> The strange thing is that access works ok with non graphical clients from

If the junk looks something like 01;34m and 0m and so on, I'll bet you
it's because the ls (either in the ftp chroot tree) or on the system itself
is trying to output colors. You need to find out which is doing this and
either get it to stop or replace it.

I don't know the best way to fix it myself because I've only encountered
the problem on machines where I didn't care how well the ftp server worked }:>
(and yes, they were running wu-ftpd.)

-dalvenjah

-- 
 Dalvenjah FoxFire (aka Sven Nielsen) "'Against my will I am sent to bid you
 Founder, the DALnet IRC Network       come in to dinner.' There's a double
                                       meaning in that."
 
 e-mail: [email-masked]             WWW: http://www.dal.net/~dalvenjah/
 whois: SN90                           Try DALnet! http://www.dal.net/

---

From: "Jeff J. Dingbaum" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 09:32:44 -0500 (CDT)

> It also works ok for anonymous access with all clients

I've got the same problem with a user using Microsoft's Internet Explorer.
Command line ftp, Netscape, Mosaic all work fine for the username/password
area.  I think all clients work on anonymous, but I don't have IE to test
it out.  Sounds like the same problem.

Jeff 

Jeff Dingbaum   		HEP Network Resource Center @ Fermilab
[email-masked]		PO Box 500, MS368
system admin, webmaster, 	Batavia, IL 60510-0500
postmaster, coffeemaker 	(630)840-8472  (630)840-8463 fax

---

From: "Jaime G. Ghirelli" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 May 1997 12:20:53 -0500 (CDT)

> (and yes, they were running wu-ftpd.)

This was the problem. I replaced /bin/ls and now it works nicely.
The anonymous ftp worked because it used ls from ~ftp/bin/ls

Thanks,
Jaime