Subject: Hiding /etc /bin /dev /usr ?

From: "Gebbie, Bob" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 10:03:55 -0700

When someone logs in as anonymous or guest, the system directories (ie
/etc  /usr ... ) are visible.  

At each chrooted directory (ie guest accounts and anonymous), I added
the system directories (ie /usr  /etc ...) and gave them 111 access
permissions with owner "root" and group "ftpgroup".

How do you hide these directories?

Thanks in advance, Bob

Bob Gebbie                                                      Phone:
953-4677
Applications Analyst                                          Fax:
356-7831
Ministry of Environment Lands and Parks

The future ain't what it used to be. 
Lawrence Peter Yogi Berra

---

From: Rafael Vilarino Kuhn <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 09:37:04 -0300

> Lawrence Peter Yogi Berra

In this question, I would like to know how I do to spend a minimum disk
space.
If I copy /etc /usr /bin and /dev directories for each user, the disk
space is
3Mb for user. I have 1000 users.
Thanks in advance!

-- 
##############################################
## Rafael Vilarino Kuhn                     ##
## [email-masked]                       ##
## Gaucho por tradicao, Gremista de coracao ##
##############################################

---

From: Dalvenjah FoxFire <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 09:31:30 -0700 (PDT)

> > How do you hide these directories?

I don't believe you can do so without hacking the ls inside the chrooted
/bin.

> 3Mb for user. I have 1000 users.

You can use hard links - i.e. 'ln origfile newfile'. Note, no -s flag.

This makes it such that you only have one copy of the actual file, but
several *real* pointers to it, that will work with a chrooted environment.

Keep in mind that if you *modify* the contents of one file (i.e., cat
the contents of something to bin/ls) you will modify all of them. You can
safely rm or mv one without affecting the others.

Also note that 'du' and 'ls' will show that each takes up the same amount
of space, but 'df' will show you true disk usage.

-dalvenjah

-- 
 Dalvenjah FoxFire (aka Sven Nielsen) "We've lost the bleeps, the creeps,
 Founder, the DALnet IRC Network       and the sweeps!" "That's not all
                                       he's lost!"
 
 e-mail: [email-masked]             WWW: http://www.dal.net/~dalvenjah/
 whois: SN90                           Try DALnet! http://www.dal.net/