Subject: Group ftp access

From: "Clarkson, Michael" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 10:03:09 -0700

Hi All,

I am in the process of implementing a web server. This will form the
basis of a small intranet and will be accessed by  Individuals split
into groups, with each group being responsible for the upkeep of their
groups information. I was hoping to allow users to ftp to the server in
order to maintain their respective areas.

Nearly all these users have normal unix login accounts used for shell
access, would it be possible using wu-ftpd to have a configuration such,
that based on the users unix group-id ( or do I need to use guest groups
), they get chrooted to their groups area. Would it be better to
implement this on a group by group basis, or just have the users
chrooted to /www/htdocs and then let normal unix permissions control
access. 

I would be interested to hear from anyone that has experience of such a
setup.

Thanks in advance

Michael Clarkson

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 12:23:04 -0500 (CDT)

guest groups will do it; if you don't have it already, the howto is below.
I set it up where each user gets chrooted to their own directory.

   -- Michael

> chrooted to /www/htdocs and then let normal unix permissions control

This is the location for the latest wu-ftpd.  You can't see the
directory contents, but get the file anyway.  It's there.

ftp://ftp.academ.com/pub/wu-ftpd/private/wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-13.tar.Z

wu-ftpd FAQ:  http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html
              OR
              send mail to [email-masked]
              with a subject line: send faq

guest howto:  ftp://ftp.fni.com/pub/wu-ftpd/guest-howto
              OR
              send mail to "[email-masked]"
              (immediate autoresponder; subject does not matter)

wu-ftpd list archive:  http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/mail-archive/

There are additional security references in the above docs.