Subject: gzip and tar on Digital Unix

From: Sara Hopkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 18:07:06 +0100

Dear wu-ftpders,

Please could anyone make some suggestions as to what I may have 
missed when setting up wu-ftpd on a Digital Unix 4.0 system.
Everything works fine except tar and gzip don't work for the 
anonymous user (they do work for real users).

I have looked at the FAQ, and I have checked that the following are OK:

* I have bin, etc and lib directories.

* the etc directory contains local chopped down group and passwd files

* the bin directory contains copies of ls, gzip and tar

* the bin directory and files in it have all execute permissions set

* the lib directory contains a copy of libc.so

* the lib directory and files in it have all execute permissions set

* the etc directory contains a copy of the /etc/sia directory

I've run out of things to try!  Can anyone help?

Sara

Sara Hopkins                          [email-masked]
3L Ltd                            http://threeL.co.uk
86/92 Causewayside              Tel: +44 131 662 4333
Edinburgh, EH9 1PY, UK.         Fax: +44 131 662 4556

---

From: [email-masked] (Koos van den Hout _U nix and we all_)
Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 23:25:17 +0200 (MET DST)

> anonymous user (they do work for real users).

I don't know if Digital Unix has something like ldd or truss, but you
could at least try :

chroot ~ftp /bin/tar -h

and see if that gives any reasonable error.

											Grtx KH

-- 
  Koos van den Hout,     Internetter, Unix freak, ISFJ and BBS SysOp at large
  [email-masked] (Work)  <-- finger -l for PGPkey      Fax: +31-30-2586290
  [email-masked] (Home)                      Workphone: +31-30-2586287
  http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/   Looking for a license plate with "RFC 822"
  Microsoft thinks "open systems" means they can leave out security.

---

From: FTP Administrator <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 May 1997 09:05:14 +0200 (MET DST)

> Edinburgh, EH9 1PY, UK.         Fax: +44 131 662 4556
Here, we run a FTP site on a Digital Unix 4.0 machine and we have the gzip
working.
In our /ftp/bin/ directory we have copies of ls, gzip and tar executable
with library STATICALLY linked. If you check with a 'ls -l' you can see
the difference.
To have a statically linked file you should add '-non_shared' to CFLAGS
when you compile the programs (if compiled with Digital 'cc').

Anyway if you already have a working 'ls', the problem could be
different...

Regards,
Massimo Gais
----
FTP Administrator                                        <[email-masked]>
C.D.S. - University "Federico II" of Naples (Italy)

                          "640K ought to be enough for anybody." 
                                           --  Bill Gates, 1981