Subject: ftpck - WU-FTPD Configuration Checker

From: Kent Landfield <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 18:45:18 -0500 (CDT)

Since the beginning, the only wu-ftpd configuration checker was "ckconfig". 
All it does is simply check to see if the needed files are where they were 
specified in pathnames.h. Other than that, you had to look at the man 
pages, examples and the source code to try and figure out what was the 
proper syntax. 

After complaining about checking changed wu-ftpd configurations under my 
breath for years (every time I had to) I decided to do something about it.  
I have started developing a package that will do what I need.  What I'd like 
to do is see if I can talk you into participating. This is not a small effort. 
(Now I can see why it has not been seriously attempted before...) I'd like 
this to be a community project. Otherwise, I've got a lot more work in front 
of me and you get it the way I want it. ;) It will be completed either way.

I have put up a web page that describes what I have so far.

    http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/ftpck/ftpck.html

It describes the tests it currently performs, mostly syntax at this point,
how to get the software, etc.

ftpck is intended to check all files and fields in all the wu-ftpd system
files to assure proper syntax. It checks to assure all files referenced in 
the various wu-ftpd system files exist. It checks modes on system files and
will check the modes on the root ftpd data directories (~ftp, ~ftp/etc, ..)
and files (~ftp/etc/passwd), etc. as well.  I'm even planning on putting in
the "-a" check. ;-)  That should cut down on mailing list traffic... ;) 

This is a first shot and is far from clean. A snapshot of the development will 
be updated daily until it is complete. 

Please help me complete this. It has already pointed out errors in my 
configuration here and I'm sure it will help you as well. I need suggestions 
about what checks make sense and should be added. This code is going to be 
rewritten in a cleaner fashion once all the issues are identified and a rapid 
prototype created. This is not a final version. It is however, useful to you 
to test your configuration out and as a think piece to finally create a useful 
and complete wu-ftpd configuration checker. 

-- 
Kent Landfield                        Phone: 1-817-545-2502             
The Landfield Group                   FAX:   1-817-545-7650             
Email: [email-masked]             http://www.landfield.com/
Please send comp.sources.misc related mail to [email-masked].
Search the Usenet Hypertext FAQ Archive at http://www.faqs.org/faqs/