Subject: message before login

From: Michael Lerperger <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 18:57:03 -0400 (EDT)

The docs are not very verbose about where you set the name of the file
that is displayed *before* login. message <path> {<when> {<class> ...}}
does only affect messages after a successful login. 

Thanks,

-Michael

---

From: [email-masked] (Gunnar Ingvi)
Date: Sat, 17 May 1997 00:09:42 +0000 (GMT)

I'm having problem getting wu-ftpd Academ Beta 13 to write updates the pid 
files. Is this a known bug? A reply would be greatly appreciated. I'm running
Linux ilmur 2.0.30 #1 Tue Apr 22 11:45:30 GMT 1997 i586
Also if someone knows about security problems regarding this version, 
please let me know.

Thanks!

[email-masked] [/var/run] ls -al
total 11
drwxr-xr-x   2 root     root         1024 May 16 23:58 ./
drwxr-xr-x  12 root     root         1024 Mar 21 16:16 ../
srwxrwxrwx   1 root     root            0 Dec 16 11:22 gpmctl=
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root            5 Dec 16 11:22 gpmpid
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root            3 May 14 11:39 inetd.pid
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root            3 May 14 11:39 named.pid
-rw-r--r--   1 root     bin            33 May 14 11:39 sendmail.pid
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root            4 May 14 11:45 sshd.pid
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root         3528 May 16 23:58 utmp
[email-masked] [/var/run]
[email-masked] [/var/run] ftp localhost
Connected to localhost.
220 ilmur FTP server (Version wu-2.4.2-academ[BETA-13](2) Fri May 
16 23:36:50 GMT 1997) ready.
Name (localhost:root): ftp
331 Guest login ok, send your complete e-mail address as password.
Password:
230 Guest login ok, access restrictions apply.
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
ftp> !
# pwd
/var/run
# ls -la
total 11
drwxr-xr-x   2 root     root         1024 May 16 23:58 .
drwxr-xr-x  12 root     root         1024 Mar 21 16:16 ..
srwxrwxrwx   1 root     root            0 Dec 16 11:22 gpmctl
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root            5 Dec 16 11:22 gpmpid
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root            3 May 14 11:39 inetd.pid
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root            3 May 14 11:39 named.pid
-rw-r--r--   1 root     bin            33 May 14 11:39 sendmail.pid
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root            4 May 14 11:45 sshd.pid
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root         3528 May 16 23:58 utmp
#
# strings -a /usr/sbin/wu.ftpd | grep -i pid
/var/run/ftp.pids-%s
cannot open pid file %s: %s
sleeping: flock of pid file failed: %s
#
# strings -a /usr/bin/ftpwho | grep -i pid
/var/run/ftp.pids-%s
# strings -a /usr/bin/ftpcount | grep -i pid
/var/run/ftp.pids-%s
# ftpcount
Service class local                -   0 users ( 20 maximum)
Service class remote               -   0 users (  3 maximum)
# ftpwho
Service class local:
   -   0 users ( 20 maximum)

Service class remote:
   -   0 users (  3 maximum)

#

Regards, Gunnar

Gunnar Ingvi Thorisson
Hugur - forritaþroun hf.
Programmer, System- and Network administrator
[email-masked]

----
IPv6 128 Bit address space is an extremely large address space. In a 
theoretical sense this is approximately 665,570,793,348,866,943,898,599 
addresses per square meter of the surface of the planet Earth (assuming 
the earth surface is 511,263,971,197,990 square meters)...

---

From: Perry Rovers <[email-masked]>
Date: 17 May 1997 10:35:47 GMT

Pink elephants with an attitude inspired Michael Lerperger <[email-masked]> to tell garfield.mail.wu-ftpd:
: The docs are not very verbose about where you set the name of the file
: that is displayed *before* login. message <path> {<when> {<class> ...}}
: does only affect messages after a successful login. 
The banner you mean?

man ftpaccess sez:

       banner <path>
            Works  similarly  to the message command, except that
            the banner is displayed before the  user  enters  the
            username/password.   The  <path>  is  relative to the
            real system root, not the base of the  anonymous  FTP
            directory.

-- 
Perry Rovers ([email-masked])

---

From: Mick Sheppard <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 May 1997 00:32:17 +0100 (BST)

This is an auto-generated reply.

I am no longer working at PSINet.

If this was a PSINet UK query please resend to [email-masked]'.
If it was a Nominet related query please resend to [email-masked]'.
If it was a personal message please resend to [email-masked]'.

Regards,

Mick Sheppard