Subject: Anonymous FTP banner

From: Rasana Atreya <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 15:38:00 -0700

Hi,

I installed wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-13 without any problems. Everything else works
fine, but I cannot get the banner to work.

OS: Solaris 2.5.1

In ftpaccess I tried both formats:

banner  /local/sparc/wu-ftpd/etc/msgs/banner

# Path relative to ~ftp
banner msgs/banner

ls -l ~ftp/msgs
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     other         29 May 30 14:11 /home/ftp/msgs -> /local/sparc/wu-ftpd/etc/msgs

I looked at the "Frequently Asked Questions about wu-ftpd, with answers" FAQ,
the Solaris FAQ, and the man pages for ftpaccess, but haven't been able to
figure this out.

Any help appreciated!

Rasana

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~ Rasana Atreya                                     Voice:  (415) 476-3623  ~
~ System Administrator     			    Fax:    (415) 476-4653  ~
~ Library & Ctr for Knowledge Mgmt, Univ. of California at San Francisco    ~
~ 530 Parnassus Ave, Box 0840, San Francisco, CA  94143-0840		    ~
~ [email-masked]					            ~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

---

From: Mark Galbraith <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 17:18:11 -0700 (PDT)

>>>>> "Rasana" == Rasana Atreya <[email-masked]> writes:

Rasana> ls -l ~ftp/msgs
Rasana> lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     other         29 May 30 14:11 /home/ftp/msgs -> /local/sparc/wu-ftpd/etc/msgs

You can't have any symbolic link that would go outside the chroot'd area
the anonymous user is going to be in.  In this case, you are trying to
access a directory which probably doesn't exist in that file structure.

-- 
Mark Galbraith                   Member of The HTML Writers Guild
Engineer, Internet Services	              http://www.hwg.org/
Triad Systems Corporation
(PGP Fingerprint=1CB9 7481 AD5C 5709  690B AC09 7F65 D6F6)

---

From: Bob Luckin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 May 97 19:31:50 CDT

>>>>> Mark Galbraith replies :-

Quite right...  But Rasana, you should be able to achieve what you want by
putting the message files and banner inside ~ftp/msgs, and then making
/local/sparc/wu-ftpd/etc/msgs a soft link to ~ftp/msgs - ie. reverse the
direction of your current set-up.

Cheers, Bob
-- 
Bob Luckin      [email-masked]      "Ere we were here, we weren't"