Subject: New wu-ftpd resource

From: Kent Landfield <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 12:18:10 -0500 (CDT)

Ok. I'm at it again... ;-) Beware.

For quite a while I have had a lot of wu-ftpd related "stuff" around that 
needed a bit of organizing.   There has also been more people starting to
create documents and tools thus contributing to the wu-ftpd environment.
I thought it might be nice to provide a "resource center" about wu-ftpd 
and its development. This is not an FAQ.  The center is located at 

	http://www.landfield/wu-ftpd/

This is NOT a replacement for anyones efforts. This is to compliment those
efforts (at least that's what I'm trying to do).  I am trying to make it 
easy to get to all the different wu-ftpd related documents and tools as well 
as documents and tools that support FTP archive environments.

Comments are welcome (preferably offlist but that's your call).  If you have 
additions to make to any page, please let me know.  Hope you find it useful.

-- 
Kent Landfield                        Phone: 1-817-545-2502             
The Landfield Group                   FAX:   1-817-545-7650             
Email: [email-masked]             http://www.landfield.com/
Please send comp.sources.misc related mail to [email-masked].
Search the Usenet Hypertext FAQ Archive at http://www.faqs.org/faqs/

---

From: [email-masked] (Pedro Melo)
Date: Thu, 01 May 1997 22:48:21 GMT

>	http://www.landfield/wu-ftpd/

Make that http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/  of course...

>additions to make to any page, please let me know.  Hope you find it useful.

Ok, I tried it and it's nice, but I would like to see a non-framed
version...

I dont like frames... :)

Melo
--
************** Pedro Melo ([email-masked]) BOFH ******************
*   TELENET, Servicos de Telecomunicacoes, SA - Tel +351 1 3139190   *
*    finger [email-masked] or search key servers for PGP key     *
*           It's management's job to support the geniuses,           *
*                      not to tell them what to do                   *
**********************************************************************

---

From: Kent Landfield <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 18:04:17 -0500 (CDT)

# >
# >	http://www.landfield/wu-ftpd/
# 
# Make that http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/  of course...

Yep... What he said... ;)

# Ok, I tried it and it's nice, but I would like to see a non-framed
# version...
# 
# I dont like frames... :)

:)  A non-frames version will be done soon. I'm currently working on
ftpck so it might be a day or so.  I'll post a message about ftpck
here in a bit.

---

From: iqbal gandham <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 May 1997 10:42:43 +0100

Hi

I have the following setup

/usr/asdf/cdf/./username/

Now when a user logs in and cd ..

they can view the list of directories of all the users.

Can this be stopped.

I thought

/usr/asdf/cdf/username/./

would this work

Basically I don't want the users to see the list of other users
directories

Thanks

Iqbal

---

From: "Brian J. Tych" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 09:52:10 -0400 (EDT)

One solution would be to make all the user directories mode 700.  This
would prevent a user from cd'n up and doing an ls.  The only hole in this
is a person can change into another directory if he/she knows what the
name is.  This solution only stops them from "seeing" the other
directories.

Hope it helps ... 

> Basically I don't want the users to see the list of other users

				-Brian

____________________________________________________________________
Brian Tych				| [email-masked]
Computer Operations Specialist		| PAGER: 954-402-6487
Sportsline - Ft. Lauderdale, Florida    | VOICE: 954-351-2120  ext.252
HTTP://cbs.sportsline.com

---

From: Oliver Stoll <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 May 1997 16:57:49 +0200

> > /usr/asdf/cdf/username/./

Unfortunately that doesn't.

If you haven't already put in too much user directories, one
solution would be to  place one user directory inside the existing user
directory.

On my outside machine, my setup is, for example user ostoll:

/usr/people/ostoll/dev
/usr/people/ostoll/lib
/usr/people/ostoll/bin
/usr/people/ostoll/etc
/usr/people/ostoll/ostoll

Where etc contains a password file for exactly that user/group, and
root, nothing else.

The passwd entry is /usr/people/ostoll/./ostoll,

which prevents the user from performing a cd out of their directory
(they're actually chrooted).

Hope that helps :)

Ollie

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/ O l i v e r _/_/_/ S t o l l _/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
_/ Network Manager	     	                       	              _/
_/ Cinetic GmbH			      Please send private e-mail to:  _/
_/ [email-masked]  				                      _/
_/ Tel: +49 (721) 94329-0			[email-masked]  _/
_/ Fax: +49 (721) 04320-22					      _/
_/                                                                    _/
_/ Holmes: Once you've eliminated the obvious, the remainder, however _/
_/         improbable, must be the truth.                             _/
_/ Oliver: The highest probability to a quick solution is always given_/
_/         by applying the most improbable possibility first.         _/
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 02 May 1997 16:16:01 +0100

> they can view the list of directories of all the users.

Yes. The method I employed was file permissions.

e.g: for user1, user2, user3...have the following home directories
in ./etc/passwd:-

/export/chrootdir/./user1
/export/chrootdir/./user2
/export/chrootdir/./user3

Then make /export/chrootdir none readable by the users, it will
still need to be searchable (chmod 711 /export/chrootdir). Now
you only have one chroot structure to maintain, users have a
home directopry of /user1 etc, can cd up one level but cannot
see any directories when there. Also they are prevented from entering
other users home directories by permission on each home directory.

hope this helps.

dave