Subject: Looking for FAQ, trouble with umask

From: [email-masked] (John Murtari)
Date: Sat, 24 May 1997 16:19:56 -0400

Folks,

	Been off the list for a while, would appreciate pointers
to any WEB FAQ page and/or mailing list archive.

	Running wu on Solaris 2.5.1 and have recently been 
seeing ftp uploads by REAL users coming in with a default
umask of 664, user+group have write permissions??  Checked
the login account umasks, and they are set to 022.  The 
UMASK command is disabled in ftpaccess -- SO HOW IS THIS
HAPPENING??

	Many thanks!

                                          John
___________________________________________________________________
John Murtari                              Software Workshop Inc.
[email-masked] 315.695.1301(x-211)  "TheBook.Com" (TM)
http://www.thebook.com/

---

From: "Garry T. Williams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 May 1997 16:37:21 -0400 (EDT)

Try -u077 or -u027 in your inetd.conf file.

---

From: Jason Spears <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 May 1997 21:57:12 -0400 (EDT)

I found by grepping the source for UMASK that the default behavior is for
an insecure umask; it was fixed here by simply modifying the source.

Jason Spears

---

From: [email-masked] (d. hall)
Date: 25 May 1997 00:49:46 -0400

// thus on Sat, 24 May 1997 21:57:12 -0400 (EDT), Jason virtually wrote:

Jason> I found by grepping the source for UMASK that the default behavior
Jason> is for an insecure umask; it was fixed here by simply modifying the
Jason> source.

Sure it's UMASK, and not CMASK.  CMASK on beta 12 is set to 664, you might
want to change it on system which doesn't have a direct user->group
relationship.

d.
-- 
              Darren Hall               | phone: 216-241-7166
   Postmaster/Systems Administration    | pager: 216-517-9522
              APK Net Ltd.              | email: [email-masked]