Subject: setting up guest accounts with ftpd-wu?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 15 May 97 08:38:41 +0200

People,

I am trying to configure guest users (named ftp accounts which are
chroot to a specific directory) using the wu-ftp package, but it does
work....

This is what I did, I created a user in the /etc/group
"ftponly:*:21:guest", I created an entry in the password file like
"guest:x:202:21:Guest FTP:/users/guest/./incoming:/bin/false" and I
edited the ftpaccess file adding the line "guestgroup ftponly"...

But it doesn't work! ;( the system doesn't chroot at all, it simply
logs you in as if you were a orginary named ftp account, and gives you
full access to the machine.

What have a I left out? I am running under Solaris 2.5 with wu-ftp 2.4
both standard and the new beta version? 

On the same note both give a corrupted reply when I do a ls, they work
fine with a ls -l or a dir, but ls on its own is trash....

Can anyone help me, is it too late... should I switch to something like
the paul vixie ftp daemon...

---

From: [email-masked] (Jim Bootz)
Date: Thu, 15 May 97 08:27:48 CDT

Mark,

I just ran into the same thing recently. You'll want to check the syntax on your inetd.conf line carefully. Make sure the -a argument is on the command and not on the pathname. For example:
	
	ftp	stream	tcp	nowait	root	/usr/local/etc/ftpd	ftpd -a

That fixed it for me.

       _/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
      _/   XX   XXX    XXX  _/  Jim Bootz    IS Sys Admin   _/
     _/  X  X  X  X  X   X _/  ADC Telecommunications Inc. _/
    _/  XXXX  X  X  X     _/  4900 W. 78th St.            _/
   _/  X  X  X  X  X   X _/  Bloomington, MN 55435       _/
  _/  X  X  XXX    XXX  _/  612-946-3056                _/
 _/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

---

From: Clinton Fisher <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 10:57:12 -0400

Mark,

I just finished setting this up for the same reason and it works fine
now,  but when I first set it up I was not successful in getting the
right ftpd running from inetd.conf.  If you can verify that you really
are kicking off the wu-ftpd instead of the default, it should work.
Also I have heard that the "-a" option has to be used to read the
ftpaccess file (either in the version where it is the default, or by
specifying it correctly).

>----------
>From: 	[email-masked][SMTP:[email-masked]]
>Sent: 	Thursday, May 15, 1997 2:38 AM
>To: 	[email-masked]
>Subject: 	setting up guest accounts with ftpd-wu?
>
>People,
>