Subject: CR/LF and CR question

From: Greg Whitlock <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 14:01:51 -0400 (EDT)

Perhaps I've missed something but here's the situation I'm having....

We have some documents being served by wu-ftpd from a partition mounted
onto a Unix box from a Novell server.  The users who can put files in
these space on the Novell server can use whatever they want to to create
the files (ie, a Mac, etc).

Here's the problem:  Some files get created with just line feeds (LF) at
the end of each line and some get created with carriage return/line feeds
(CR/LF).  When you access these files via an ftp URL the files with just
LF's are displayed as one long line while the files with CR/LF are double
spaced.  Bizarre.

Short of converting all the LF's and CR/LF's to just CR's, is there a way
to configure wu-ftpd to do this automagically?  Or am I missing
something?

Thanks.

-greg
----
Greg Whitlock | Systems Specialist | UCNS | UGA | Athens, Georgia
[email-masked] | 706-542-0128 | PGP: http://www.uga.edu/~greg/pgp.html
        Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 14:08:40 -0500 (CDT)

DOS uses CR/LF, Macs use CR, and Unix uses LF as end of line characters. 
If people are using FTP to transfer the files to the FTP server, just use
TEXT or ASCII mode to transfer the files and the conversion should be
handled automatically.  If they can just copy over what they have created,
about your only option that I know of is to post process the files to fix
the CR and CR/LF issues. 

   -- Michael

---

From: Michael Bracewell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 May 1997 08:26:29 -0400 (EDT)

Greg -
If the files in question have unique extensions by any chance, you might
be able to configure ftpconversions to do the work at retrieval time...

Greg Whitlock sez:
| 
| 
| 
| Perhaps I've missed something but here's the situation I'm having....
| 
| We have some documents being served by wu-ftpd from a partition mounted
| onto a Unix box from a Novell server.  The users who can put files in
| these space on the Novell server can use whatever they want to to create
| the files (ie, a Mac, etc).
| 
| Here's the problem:  Some files get created with just line feeds (LF) at
| the end of each line and some get created with carriage return/line feeds
| (CR/LF).  When you access these files via an ftp URL the files with just
| LF's are displayed as one long line while the files with CR/LF are double
| spaced.  Bizarre.
| 
| Short of converting all the LF's and CR/LF's to just CR's, is there a way
| to configure wu-ftpd to do this automagically?  Or am I missing
| something?
| 
| Thanks.
| 
| -greg
| ----
| Greg Whitlock | Systems Specialist | UCNS | UGA | Athens, Georgia
| [email-masked] | 706-542-0128 | PGP: http://www.uga.edu/~greg/pgp.html
|         Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
| 
| 

-- 
Michael Bracewell <[email-masked]>
Office of Information and Instructional Technology
Technology Support Services
Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia