Subject: RE: usernames on Solaris

From: "Schramm, Rich" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 15:46:24 -0400

David,

My understanding is that if there is no /etc/group or /etc/passwd file
locally for the users (relative to their chrooted environment), then
they cannot resolve the UID and GID in dir listing.  If you create a
/etc directory for each chrooted environment and copy these files into
that dir, they will show up.  However, there is a security concern of
have a list of all your user accounts available to the public, so you
may experiment with removing the password from those files and also
removing extraneous accounts that will not have files below the chrooted
environment anyway.  Also, consider if it is worth it at all to have
those files present.  Do people really NEED to see a username as opposed
to a UID?

Cheers,

Rich
>----------
>From: 	David Brossard[SMTP:[email-masked]]
>Sent: 	Wednesday, April 16, 1997 3:35 PM
>To: 	[email-masked]
>Subject: 	usernames on Solaris
>
>	I have set up several guest accounts on Solaris and in all of them
>have a /etc/passwd file either containing the pertinent users or the full
>passwd table. However in a directory listing, it only shows the UID's and
>GID's. I saw this question posed before on the list but never saw the fix.
>Any ideas? TIA
>
>------------finger [email-masked] for my public pgp key---------------- 
>David Brossard                      e u r o p a  c o m m u n i c a t i o n s
>MIS / Techie
>[email-masked]                 503.222.9508 MAIN
>www.europa.com                      503.796.9134 FACSIMILE
>                                    503.222.4244 DATA 
>
>

---

From: David Brossard <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 13:05:06 -0700 (PDT)

This was my understanding as well. However I do have an
/etc/passwd & /etc/group in the chrooted dir. It still doesn't work. I
have expermented with partial and full passwd lists to no avail. With
Solaris there is not much of a security concern since it uses shadowed
password tables though.

On Wed, 16 Apr 1997, Schramm, Rich wrote:

-|David,
-|
-|My understanding is that if there is no /etc/group or /etc/passwd file
-|locally for the users (relative to their chrooted environment), then
-|they cannot resolve the UID and GID in dir listing.  If you create a
-|/etc directory for each chrooted environment and copy these files into
-|that dir, they will show up.  However, there is a security concern of
-|have a list of all your user accounts available to the public, so you
-|may experiment with removing the password from those files and also
-|removing extraneous accounts that will not have files below the chrooted
-|environment anyway.  Also, consider if it is worth it at all to have
-|those files present.  Do people really NEED to see a username as opposed
-|to a UID?
-|
-|Cheers,
-|
-|Rich
-|>----------
-|>From: 	David Brossard[SMTP:[email-masked]]
-|>Sent: 	Wednesday, April 16, 1997 3:35 PM
-|>To: 	[email-masked]
-|>Subject: 	usernames on Solaris
-|>
-|>	I have set up several guest accounts on Solaris and in all of them
-|>have a /etc/passwd file either containing the pertinent users or the full
-|>passwd table. However in a directory listing, it only shows the UID's and
-|>GID's. I saw this question posed before on the list but never saw the fix.
-|>Any ideas? TIA
-|>
-|>------------finger [email-masked] for my public pgp key---------------- 
-|>David Brossard                      e u r o p a  c o m m u n i c a t i o n s
-|>MIS / Techie
-|>[email-masked]                 503.222.9508 MAIN
-|>www.europa.com                      503.796.9134 FACSIMILE
-|>                                    503.222.4244 DATA 
-|>
-|>
-|