Subject: wu-ftpd not logging transactions

From: Francis Vidal <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 20:10:23 +0800 (HKT)

hello!

i just installed wu-ftpd 2.4 beta-12 ACADEM and noticed that it's not
logging the transactions in /var/log/xferlog. i also noticed that whenever
i login, it doesn't display welcome.msg (or any other messages)... why is
this so? i checked the files and everything's in place... i checked using
"ckconfig" and it turned out OK.

somebody help me pls. thank you!

---

    [ francis vidal ] systems administrator, @usls, univ. of st. la salle
    la salle avenue, bacolod city  http://www.usls.edu   +63(34) 435-2324
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    P G P key available at - - ftp://ftp.usls.edu/pub/pgpkey/francis.pgp

---

From: Tony Clark <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 13:39:24 +0100 (BST)

> logging the transactions in /var/log/xferlog. i also noticed that whenever

add to ftpaccess

log commands real,guest,anonymous
log transfers real,guest,anonymous inbound,outbound

> "ckconfig" and it turned out OK.

because wu-ftpd chroot's to ~ftp everything is absolute from that point:

example:

ftpaccess:
message /usr/local/msgs/ftp.welcome

would be ~ftp/usr/local/msgs/ftp.welcome

~ftp is /home/public/ftp the location of the ftp.welcome file would be:

/home/public/ftp/usr/local/msgs/ftp.welcome

---

Tony Clark (troy clank)                   Mobile Systems International PLC
Tel: +44 (0)171 971 8800                  Systems Administrator

External: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked](personal)

---

From: Francis Vidal <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 21:00:52 +0800 (HKT)

> /home/public/ftp/usr/local/msgs/ftp.welcome

i checked /etc/ftpaccess and the line "log ..." is there. i also changed
the line "message /welcome.msg login" to "message /home/ftp/welcome.msg
login" --- but when i checked it again (ftp'd to the server, the
welcome.msg doesn't appear and it doesn't log to /var/log/xferlog).

---

---

From: "P. Paprok" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 17:20:00 +0200

> welcome.msg doesn't appear and it doesn't log to /var/log/xferlog).

I have exactly same two problems when I have tested wu-ftp and
forgot to change /etc/inetd.conf. There was still link
to old (if you replace it) ftpd (/etc/ftpd -> /usr/sbin/ftpd).
Because my wu-ftpd is placed in /usr/local/etc/ftpd, I change
this line in /etc/inetd.conf so.
Or you have set flag to enable/disable ftpaccess file (-a/-A)...?

Pavel Paprok
Mattes AD, Frydek-Mistek, Czech Republic, Europe

---

From: "Steven K. Buehler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 10:40:34 -0500

Are you using the -a option in your inetd.conf.  ex:
ftp     stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/in.ftpd       in.ftpd -a

>    la salle avenue, bacolod city  http://www.usls.edu   +63(34) 435-2324

======================================================
Steven K. Buehler
S & B Computers
Rockford Illinois, USA
Phone: 815-398-7169
Fax: 815-398-7266
======================================================

---

From: Francis Vidal <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 1997 10:13:13 +0800 (HKT)

> ftp     stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/in.ftpd       in.ftpd -a
					  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
yes, i tried that. but in my system, it's "/usr/sbin/tcpd  wu.ftpd -a"

---

---

From: Francis Vidal <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 1997 12:16:33 +0800 (HKT)

i think that wu-ftpd is not reading /etc/ftpaccess ... what could be
wrong?

---

---

From: "Steven K. Buehler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 1997 07:19:05 -0500

>i think that wu-ftpd is not reading /etc/ftpaccess ... what could be

What does your line in inetd.conf look like?  Are you sure that you canged it to point to the new wu-ftp after installing it?  Did you use the -a option in it?  Did you do a kill -HUP on the PID of your inetd to restart it (or reboot the server)?