Subject: ftp from within a browser does not get to homedir

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 22:34:44 +0100

Why does ftp'ing directly from a web browser not take a user directly
to their home directory ? If the user is setup as a guestgroup user,
then
the chroot part works correctly - but the follow on part "/./homedir" is

not cd'ed into. If it's a normal "real" user, then you end up in the
root
diectory.

I.E ftp://username:password@IPADDRESS/ aways puts you in "/", not
the username's home directory.

Any ideas ?

I suspect it's the default browser behaviour - I see this on Netscape
and IE,
obviously you can put ftp://username:password@IPADDRESS/homedir to get
you to your homedir.

rgds dave

---

From: Bob Myers <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 18:15:46 -0700

> obviously you can put ftp://username:password@IPADDRESS/homedir to get

That's the way the ftp URL scheme works.  Any browser that handles ftp
URLs differently would be working incorrectly.  Otherwise there would be
no way to refer to the root directory in a URL, which is clearly
incorrect behavior.

Also, I recommend not using the password in the URL.  All browsers I
know of will prompt you for the password if you don't give it in the
URL, and I think that's a better way of handling passwords.

I.e., just use ftp://username@IPADDRESS/... instead.

---

From: "Steven K. Buehler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 09:00:27 -0500

>obviously you can put ftp://username:password@IPADDRESS/homedir to get

I tried it on mine and it puts me in the home directory of /dsk1/home/skb with Netscape 3.01

======================================================
Steven K. Buehler
S & B Computers
Rockford Illinois, USA
Phone: 815-398-7169
Fax: 815-398-7266
======================================================

---

From: bruce draper <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 12:04:09 -0500 (CDT)

"ftp://username@host" gets you to the default (home) directory for username
on host.

"ftp://username@host/" gets you to the root directory of host.

comparable http urls would typically get you to the same place but ftp
isn't http.