Subject: Problem with ls in wu-ftpd

From: Majella McCarron <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 13:32:40 +0000

I'm running wu-ftpd 2.4 on an A/UX system. My problem is with 
anonymous ftp. Depending on the ftp s/w used to connect to the 
archive I am having problem. If using for example 'ftp' provided 
as part of the Winqvt package, when the user connects, he can 
list files and directories with 'ls'. However, if the user is 
using WS-FTP, the ls command returns an empty list even when 
files exist in the directory. It is possible to cd down through 
the anonymous ftp hierarchy but never to see what is there. Can 
anyone help me on this on.

Regards
Majella McCarron
----------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: "Schramm, Rich" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 09:08:45 -0400

It may be the difference between using the ls and dir commands.  Try
signing into your server with the client that works and do both an ls
and a dir.  I bet your ls works but dir does not.  If so, this is
probably because the ls you have in the /bin directory does not work
properly (I think ls is part of the ftp server and dir is an "outside"
command).  One client is probably getting the directory list with ls and
the other with dir.  We found the the copy of ls in the real /bin did
not work, but the statically linked one in /sbin/ls did work.  Once we
copied the /sbin/ls to the relative /bin for the anon and guest users
all was well.

Cheers,

Richard Schramm
Internet Technical Analyst
The E.W. Scripps Co.
mailto:[email-masked]

>----------
>From: 	Majella McCarron[SMTP:[email-masked]]
>Sent: 	Tuesday, April 15, 1997 9:32 AM
>To: 	[email-masked]
>Cc: 	[email-masked]
>Subject: 	Problem with ls in wu-ftpd
>