Subject: Re: Timeout-Patch for WU-FTPD 2.4

From: "Georg v.Zezschwitz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 22:51:45 +0200 (MET DST)

Though the idea to make the "transmission timeout" configurable is correct,
I'd like to point out two things that might be missunderstandings:

 - The Timeout-Value for transmission is the same as the one the the
   main loop, so the user can adjust it by the "SITE IDLE" command
   and the sysop can control the default value.

 - The Timeout-Value is for a single *block* of data, not for the whole
   transmission. This means, the used buffer size (1024 in my case), 
   depending on the value defined in stdio.h is the number of bytes
   that have to be received before the timeout applies.

   Therefore, even 100 MB files would not cross the limit as long the
   connection does not hang for the specified time.

I'll think of implementing an independent configurable value.

Greetings,

Georg

---

From: Bob Luckin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 97 17:00:13 CDT

>    and the sysop can control the default value.

I realise that this works fine for you.  :-)  But if we are talking about an
implementation for general use in release 2.5, it might be better if they
didn't both key off the same value.  For example, some sysops might want the
"hang" timeout (for want of a better name) not to be changeable by the
user...  (As opposed to the idle timeout.)

>    connection does not hang for the specified time.

Ah, yes.  In the discussion a few weeks ago when I made my comments, we were
talking about a timeout value for the whole file transmission, not a single
block.  Doing it on a per-block basis makes more sense for the purpose
we are talking about.  Thanks for clarifying this.

(BTW, _some_ of our files are nearer 500 MB (after gzipping) than 100 MB,
so you can see why they take a bit of time to get there...)

> I'll think of implementing an independent configurable value.

:-)  Thanks for this, too. !

Cheers, Bob