Subject: xferlogs and time stamps

From: "Brian J. Tych" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 13:48:39 -0400 (EDT)

I'd like to know if anyone out there has been able to get the
transfer log working.  I've set the path for the log in pathnames.h.  Is
there anything else that I need to configure for this thing to work
correctly?
	Also, I have noticed the time stamp reported by the dir command
while in an active session is 4 hours ahead.  The system time is correct
and the file timestamp is correct when I log into the machine via telnet.

	Any Ideas??

				-Brian

____________________________________________________________________
Brian Tych				| [email-masked]
Junior Systems Administrator		| PAGER: 954-402-6487
Sportsline - Ft. Lauderdale, Florida    | VOICE: 954-351-2120  ext.252
HTTP://cbs.sportsline.com

---

From: Bob Luckin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 97 13:23:21 CDT

Brian,

> and the file timestamp is correct when I log into the machine via telnet.

You don't say what version of the program you're using, or what OS you're
running on, or whether the problem occurs for both anonymous and regular
users, so it's a bit tricky to comment.

However, I know that under Solaris 2 if you don't include the relevant
timezone information under your anonymous root directory, then anonymous
users won't see the date corrected for the timezone.  Sounds like this could
be your problem.  On my Solaris 2 box, this meant having a
~ftp/usr/share/lib/zoneinfo with appropriate contents.

Check the ftpd man page originally supplied with your OS and see what it
says about this.  It should tell you what to copy to get an anonymous set
up working correctly.

As far as logging transfers goes, there are two things to check that come to
mind...

a) Have you put a line in your ftpaccess file to tell the server to log
   transfers ?  (eg. "log transfers anonymous,real inbound,outbound")
b) If so, are you starting the server with the -a option ?  Without this
   (unless you have an old version of the program) it won't read your
   ftpaccess file, so it won't know it is meant to do any logging.

Hope this helps !

Cheers, Bob
-- 
Bob Luckin      [email-masked]      "Ere we were here, we weren't"

---

From: [email-masked] (Chris Brown)
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 11:07:28 -0700 (PDT)

> and the file timestamp is correct when I log into the machine via telnet.

This could be a setproctitle/SPT_TYPE issue.  If you're running under IRIX,
set SPT_TYPE and do a clean make.  This should clear up timestamp issues (I
assume the timestamp you see is GMT.)

Chris...

---

From: "Brian J. Tych" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 16:27:00 -0400 (EDT)

Sorry for leaving the specs out of the host.  Its a SUN Sparcstation 5
running Solaris 2.5.1.

				-Brian

Computer Operations Specialist		| PAGER: 954-402-6487