Subject: RE: Static-ls

From: Mark Bergstrom <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 1997 00:02:09 -0600 (CST)

Jeff--
     As my lengthy last post(Re: Guestgroup &this topic) shows, I still
haven't got the IP19 IRIX5.3 to see the static 'ls'.  In trying same with
3.16, I am already getting
   
/usr/bin/../lib/ld:
Object file format error in: /usr/lib/crt1.o: shared Elf object
"/usr/lib/crt1.o" cannot be linked non-shared.
*** Error code 1 (bu21)

which I'm sure I'll solve one at a time as always.

    Probably IRIX-specific peculiarities from 5.3,6.2,6.3 (that I oversee)
will fluctuate all over the map relative to applications and show up in the
newsgroups, but one would think some of the better hotshots there would at
least read this list since I have had, daemon-by-daemon, to rebuild almost
everything that ships out of the box in primitive insecure form.

    If the next round of upgrade (with, acc.to.mktg. Everything being
perfect in 6.5) leaves as many holes and out-of-date implementations, I
would suggest IRIX users unionize and demand better tools.

Mark
  
At 10:38 PM 4/4/97 -0500, you wrote:
>I have no clue as to what /usr/lib/ldstatic is, nor does it exist on the
>6.2 machine that I built things with.  All I did to the fileutils was
>to run configure and place -non_shared in the Makefiles for LDFLAGS and
>CFLAGS.  This should continue to work with new versions of fileutils
>since it worked for 3.12 which is what ftp.lerc.nasa.gov uses.  How
>long SGI will continue to make the speclib things available for
>building static objects I don't know so I can't speculate on anything
>after the MIPSpro 7.1 release (which stil has it, having just loaded
>the compilers on my O2 running 6.3).
>> 
>> 	Thanks again,
>> 	Roger Hanke
>-- 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Jeff Hanson ([email-masked]) - Computing Wizard for HSSO
 NYMA, Inc., Senior Member of the Technical Staff
 NASA Lewis Research Center, MS 77-10, Cleveland, Ohio 44135
 Telephone - (216) 433-2284            Fax - (216) 433-3918