Subject: IP blocking

From: David Brossard <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 14:01:36 -0700 (PDT)

Is it possible to allow only certain IP's to access a particular
account? If not, is there any way to block all access except from several
(say 3) IP's at all? I know how to deny service to IP's but if I only want
to allow 3 in, isn't there a better way than trying to name all IP's in
deny? TIA

------------finger [email-masked] for my public pgp key---------------- 
David Brossard                      e u r o p a  c o m m u n i c a t i o n s
MIS / Techie
[email-masked]                 503.222.9508 MAIN
www.europa.com                      503.796.9134 FACSIMILE
                                    503.222.4244 DATA

---

From: "Karl L. Noell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 15:15:33 +0200 (MET DST)

> to allow 3 in, isn't there a better way than trying to name all IP's in

We are very satisfied with "xinetd" (which is similar to tcpwrapper).
But it doesn't control access to a particular account, the access rights
are set for particular services (telnet, ftp, ...), and it does a rather
comprehensive logging (access granted / access denied).
Its config file provides such access filtering by entries like:

  service ftp
           only_from  ..........
   or:     never_from ..........

( "........." ist a list of IP addresses.)

Hope this helps.
 ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
 Karl L. Noell                              Tel.: +49 611 9495-201
 fhw - Dept. of Computer Science            Fax : +49 611 9495-210
 Wiesbaden, Germany
 ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////