Subject: RE: Static-ls

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 1997 13:32:25 -0400 (EDT)

On  5 Apr, Mark Bergstrom wrote:
> Jeff--
>      As my lengthy last post(Re: Guestgroup &this topic) shows, I still
> haven't got the IP19 IRIX5.3 to see the static 'ls'.  In trying same with
> 3.16, I am already getting
>    
> /usr/bin/../lib/ld:
> Object file format error in: /usr/lib/crt1.o: shared Elf object
> "/usr/lib/crt1.o" cannot be linked non-shared.
> *** Error code 1 (bu21)
> 
> which I'm sure I'll solve one at a time as always.
> 
>     Probably IRIX-specific peculiarities from 5.3,6.2,6.3 (that I oversee)
> will fluctuate all over the map relative to applications and show up in the
> newsgroups, but one would think some of the better hotshots there would at
> least read this list since I have had, daemon-by-daemon, to rebuild almost
> everything that ships out of the box in primitive insecure form.
> 
>     If the next round of upgrade (with, acc.to.mktg. Everything being
> perfect in 6.5) leaves as many holes and out-of-date implementations, I
> would suggest IRIX users unionize and demand better tools.
> 

As a dyed in the wool IRIX fan, I must take some exception to your
characterization of IRIX but I do sympathize with your problems not
getting the support that you need.

Enclosed are my instructions for building a static ls under IRIX 5.3
and 6.2.  I'll send 6.3 instructions tomorrow after I get my O2 online
today (assuming all goes well).

You can get source modified as detailed as
ftp://ftp.lerc.nasa.gov/users/tohanson/fileutils-3.16.nonshared.IRIX5.3.tar.gz
or
ftp://ftp.lerc.nasa.gov/users/tohanson/fileutils-3.16.nonshared.IRIX6.2.tar.gz

Prebuilt ls are also available (remember to chmod 111 ls once retrieve).
IRIX5.3 built on IP7
ftp://ftp.lerc.nasa.gov/users/tohanson/gnuls.nonshared.5.3 or
IRIX6.2 built on IP21 
ftp://ftp.lerc.nasa.gov/users/tohanson/gnuls.nonshared.6.2

Standard disclaimers about my responsibilty for what you do with these
files applies!
-- 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Jeff Hanson ([email-masked]) - Computing Wizard for HSSO
 NYMA, Inc., Senior Member of the Technical Staff
 NASA Lewis Research Center, MS 77-10, Cleveland, Ohio 44135
 Telephone - (216) 433-2284            Fax - (216) 433-3918

Build static ls (for use in ftp/bin directories) under IRIX 5.3

1. Get GNU fileutils (version 3.16 as of this writing) from your favorite place
2. Load the following subsystems so that you can build static executables in C
	c_dev.sw.speclib	C NonShared Libraries for Benchmarks
	compiler_dev.sw.speclib	Base Compiler NonShared Libraries for Benchmarks
	dev.sw.irix_speclibs	IRIX NonShared Libraries for Benchmarks
3. Use configure to create the IRIX version of the Makefiles.
4. Make the following changes to src/Makefile, lib/Makefile and intl/Makefile
	Add -non_shared to each CFLAGS = line
	Add -non_shared to each LDFLAGS = line
	Remove -lsun
5. Run make to make everything or to just build ls -
	cd lib; make; cd ../intl; make; cd ../src; make ls

Build static ls (for use in ftp/bin directories) under IRIX 6.2

1. Get GNU fileutils (version 3.16 as of this writing) from your favorite place
2. Load the following subsystems so that you can build static executables in C
	c_dev.sw.speclib	C NonShared Libraries for Benchmarks
	compiler_dev.sw.speclib	Base Compiler NonShared Libraries for Benchmarks
	dev.sw.irix_speclibs	IRIX NonShared Libraries for Benchmarks
3. Use configure to create the IRIX version of the Makefiles.
4. Make the following changes to src/Makefile, lib/Makefile and intl/Makefile
	Add -non_shared to each CFLAGS = line
	Add -non_shared to each LDFLAGS = line
5. Run make to make everything or to just build ls -
	cd lib; make; cd ../intl; make; cd ../src; make ls