Subject: Problems with ls in Netscape

From: Rafael Vilarino Kuhn <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 11:41:00 -0300

Hi List!

I configured my real users to access only your directories in my
server exactly how work anonymous users. I configured my /export/home
directory with bin, etc, usr and lib directories and homes of my
users to /export/home/./user. All work fine, but when I access the
URL www.ez-poa.com.br/~user the content of directory isn't showed in
browser. In ftp tools or shells, this files are showed.
Anybody have one idea about how solve this problem?
Thanks in advance!

-- 
##############################################
## Rafael Vilarino Kuhn                     ##
## [email-masked]                       ##
## Gaucho por tradicao, Gremista de coracao ##
##############################################

---

From: Bernhard Rosenkraenzer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 17:57:29 +0200 (MET DST)

> browser. In ftp tools or shells, this files are showed.

It doesn't have anything to do with ftp - the browsers use the HTTP
protocol (on port 80) to access URLs unless the URL starts in ftp://,
gopher://, etc.
With most browsers, your users can see the contents of their home
directories on ftp://[email-masked]/ (if they know their passwords).

If you want people to be able to access user home directories over the
WWW, it's a matter of configuring your WWW server.

If you are, by any chance, using the apache www server
(http://www.apache.org/), it can be accomplished by setting "UserDir" to
"." in srm.conf

LLaP
bero