Subject: Linux inetd and wu.ftpd

From: dennis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 12:27:04 -0700 (PDT)

Not sure if this is on topic or not, but would love some input.

There seems to be a limitation with Linux's inetd and wu.ftpd which
prevents a server from handling heavy loads.  On servers with high
connection rates (i.e., a high volume of clients trying to connect to
the server at the same time), Linux would stop accepting connections and
just sit there.  This is probably due to a limitation in inetd more than
anything in wu.ftpd, however, if wu.ftpd could run as a daemon, then this
may not be an issue?

Anyway, I am sure there are people who run loaded servers on Linux with
wu.ftpd, and if there is a hack or something that makes it work, I'd love
to hear about it.

Thanks!

Dennis

---

From: Alexander Bochmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 97 20:50:46 -0100

From: dennis <[email-masked]>
>On servers with high connection rates (i.e., a high volume
>of clients trying to connect to the server at the same time),
>Linux would stop accepting connections and just sit there.
>This is probably due to a limitation in inetd more than

It's not a bug, it's a feature.

inetd allows you to specify how many connections per minute will
be allowed for a specific service. The default value is just way
too low for a heavy loaded system (I think, less than one per
second).

You can define the maximum connections per minute in the <flags>
field, separated from the wait/nowait parameter with a dot.

For example

ftp stream tcp nowait.256 root /usr/sbin/ftpd ftpd -a

will allow 256 ftp connections to be started within a minute.

I'm not shure whether there's an upper limit to the count.

Alex.

---

From: Jon Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 14:59:46 -0400 (EDT)

> anything in wu.ftpd, however, if wu.ftpd could run as a daemon, then this

It's a configurable feature in inetd.  man inetd

------------------------------------------------------------------
 Jon Lewis <[email-masked]>  |  Unsolicited commercial e-mail will
 Network Administrator       |  be proof-read for $199/hr.
________Finger [email-masked] for PGP public key_______

---

From: Oskar Pearson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 02:39:31 +0200 (GMT)

> I'm not shure whether there's an upper limit to the count.
It's an int - 65536 (but it's unsigned, so it's 32768 connections a minute,
546 connections a second. You had better have a pretty hefty machine to
fork that often :)

	Oskar

=============================================
'experience made art, but inexperience luck.'
=============================================

---

From: G Tyler Koblasa <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 1997 10:46:55 -0800 (PST)

I need to setup wu-ftpd to use an alternate method for auth.  How can I
make wu-ftpd use lets say for example /etc/ftp-passwd ??

Thanks

G Tyler Koblasa
Radish Network Services
http://www.radish.net

---

From: Alain Magloire <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 1997 12:33:44 -0400 (EDT)

Salut A Vous, O Grand Manitou G Tyler Koblasa !!

> make wu-ftpd use lets say for example /etc/ftp-passwd ??

you can't without fiddling with the src code

-- 
au revoir, alain
----
Aussi haut que l'on soit assis, on est toujours assis que sur son cul !!!

---

From: G Tyler Koblasa <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 1997 12:25:19 -0800 (PST)

would any one be interested in helping me out on a project i am wokrin on
which would require "fiddling" with wu's src?

thanks

tyler