Subject: Thank you! Re: Hiding new uploads

From: Colin Young <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 16:14:25 -0400

I seem to have gotten things sorted out here. It seems that I originally had tried to
use '/pub/incoming' but put '/incoming' in the ftpaccess file. I had also originally listed
the <root-dir> for 'upload' as '/u02/export/home/ftp' while the '/etc/passwd' file listed
the ftp home directory as '/export/home/ftp' (a symbolic link, for historical reasons),
which did not work (I can't find *THAT* in the FAQ, although if I took the time to read
the source code more thoroughly I might have noticed it).

By the time I noticed the first error, and had removed '/pub/incoming' and created
'/incoming' I completely forgot about *directory* permissions. By the time I posted
a message, I had spent a good half hour fooling around with the <mode> parameter
for 'upload' with no results.

And yes, I have read the FAQ. (I've even bookmarked and printed it since the only time 
I've actually seen the address posted is when somebody is complaining that you haven't 
read it.) Interestingly, the Solaris (my system) How-To specifically talks about setting the 
permissions on the '/incoming' directory to 777 while the regular FAQ does not mention
setting permissions explicitly (although this excellent document, without which I never
would have got the package running, does list the permissions, but does not call attention
to them).

Anyway, thank you all for your help.

Colin Young
[email-masked]