Subject: Re: Guest and non-guest login

From: bruce draper <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 1997 11:34:19 -0500 (CDT)

[email-masked] says:
> On Thu, 3 Apr 1997, Thom Dunaway wrote:
> 
> > Why don't my posting show up in this list?  This is my third attempt.
> 
> I for one find your question unclear.  It also seems to show a basic lack
> of understanding about FTP logins and Unix permissions in general.  Not to
> be cold, but few have time to explain Unix basics for a daemon that
> already requires a good understanding to set up.  If you don't have the
> basics down and can't set up a secure ftp server, you may be setting
> yourself up for a hack. 
> 

all i can say is "thank you" for expressing my opinions exactly.  the s/n
on this list is considerably lower than it should be because of neophytes
who don't know the basics of unix config and who don't read the faqs.

-- 
bruce draper		| "just because we make it is no reason for me to
			|  refrain from observing the emperor has no clothes"
[email-masked]	|                      -- me

---

From: Bob Luckin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 97 15:22:35 CDT

Michael Brennen said :-
> > basics down and can't set up a secure ftp server, you may be setting
and Bruce Draper replied :-
> who don't know the basics of unix config and who don't read the faqs.

I do have some sympathy with this point of view.  But - one of the problems
is that many of the neophytes son't know about the FAQ's, or where they are.

The 2.4 distribution I have doesn't mention them in the README or INSTALL
files, although it does mention this mailing list.  Admittedly, this
version is a bit old in the tooth and perhaps the FAQs didn't exist then -
the beta 11-13 documentation may mention them (Stan ?).

If not, then any neohpyte looking for help who subscribes to this list
typically has to wait until Michael or Koos (or occasionally someone else)
makes a posting that references the FAQs in order to find out about them.

I think it might help if the mailing list server could add a few lines at
the bottom of every message to list the locations of some of the most useful
FAQs.  Say, Koos' FAQ (http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html),
guest how-to (ftp://ftp.fni.com/pub/wu-ftpd/guest-howto), Kent's virtual
server FAQ (http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/virtual-ftp-faq.html) and
perhaps Paradise Cowgirl's Solaris 2 FAQ
(http://www.teleport.com/~minerva/wu-ftpd/wuftpd.shtml).

It might also be worth mentioning one or two of the mailing list archives;
Kent has one at http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/mail-archive/.

This way, at the expense of a few lines at the bottom (which could be ignored
by folks who already know where the FAQs are), any posting to the list would
hopefully encourage the neophyte to check out these references before
posting their own question...

And putting the same info in the standard "welcome to the mailing list,
here's how to unsubscribe" message wouldn't hurt either.

Would this be acceptable to list members ?  Can the list server accomodate
this (I know majordomo can) ?

Cheers, Bob
-- 
Bob Luckin      [email-masked]      "Rats live on no evil planet"