Subject: Re: Complete Virtual Server support

From: Kent Landfield <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 12:36:15 -0500 (CDT)

# At 11:32 PM 4/23/97 -0500, Kent Landfield wrote:
# >There are quite a few things that would be nice to have supported in 
# >virtual servers.  In the current baselined version, virtual servers 
# >are only partially supported.  The current implementation of virtual 
# >servers only supports setting
# >
# >	- the root ftp directory, 
# >	- the log file and
# >	- the banner.
# 
# Plus the readme files, the ownerships, the permissions.  I guess either I 
# am running tcpwrappers without knowing it, or I am not sure what you are 
# missing here.  I can't think of anything extra that is missing.  Could you 
# tell me what else you get from this?

:-) Ok. maybe I didn't explain it correctly.  Currently the virtual server
options which are supported in the ftpacces file is the virtual root directory,
the banner message file to be supplied for that virtual server and the logfile
in which to put that virtual server's transfer logs in.  ALL the other setting
in the ftpacces file are shared across all the virtual servers.  Currently
you cannot deny access to unresolved IP addresses in one virtual server without
applying that policy decision to all virtual servers served on that machine.
You cannot have different directory aliases, email addresses, cdpaths, 
passwd-checks etc.. They must all be shared.  Now they don't and the site
admin has real granularity when it comes to setting up a virtual server.

-- 
Kent Landfield                        Phone: 1-817-545-2502             
The Landfield Group                   FAX:   1-817-545-7650             
Email: [email-masked]             http://www.landfield.com/
Please send comp.sources.misc related mail to [email-masked].
Search the Usenet Hypertext FAQ Archive at http://www.faqs.org/faqs/