Subject: Solaris setup problem

From: [email-masked] (Big Dawg Sez)
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 18:18:22 -0700

I've installed wu-2.4 on SunOS 5.5.1 box. And have been unable to connect
via the anonymous (or any other account for that matter) ftp login. I get
this error if I ftp to the box or localhost:

220 happy FTP server (Version wu-2.4(4) Tue Apr 8 11:09:10 PDT 1997) ready.
Name (0:bkb): anonymous
221 Server shutting down.  Goodbye.

The ftp log file doesn't really tell me anything interesting, but the welcome
banner from the server displays jsut fine.

Any ideas on what the fix might be are appreciated.

Thanks

B. K. Barr
MFS

---

From: Bob Luckin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 97 20:41:09 CDT

> Any ideas on what the fix might be are appreciated.

This _usually_ happens because your ftpaccess file has a "shutdown" line
specifying a pathname in it.  If this file exists, the server reads it to
see what date/time it contains, and if the current date/time is beyond that
the server rejects connections.

Check to see if this file exists, and if so delete it or change the date.
You might have created this manually, or by running ftpshut.  Either way,
once the specified date is past, you have to remove the file or set it to
the next planned shutdown time before the server will allow connections
again.

For more information, check the ftpaccess and ftpshut man pages included
with the distribution...

Good luck !

Cheers, Bob
-- 
Bob Luckin      [email-masked]      "Rats live on no eveil planet"