Subject: RE: Static-ls

From: "Roger A. Hanke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 1997 15:30:40 -0500

Jeff,
 Bless you!
Using your tar file of GNU fileutils-3.16 and the native IRIX 6.2 compiler 
with the -non_shared option did the trick. After 4 months of trying and 
countless
hours spent talking to SGI, I finally have a static ls version that works 
on
IRIX 6.2.

But I still dont have a clue what /usr/lib/ldstatic is and why my build 
attempts
with fileutils-3.13 and native compiler kept asking for it. Was that a 
virgin
fileutils-3.16 tree you delivered to me or had you already made some
changes to it? I would like to understand why this suddenly succeeded so
I can feel comfortable that I could do it again with a different version
someday if necessary.

	Thanks again,
	Roger Hanke

----------
From: 	[email-masked]
Sent: 	Wednesday, April 02, 1997 1:13 PM
To: 	rah@lynxhub
Subject: 	RE: Static-ls

I loaded the non shared stuff onto my machine today.  Here is what was
loaded

I  c_dev.sw.speclib     04/01/97  C NonShared Libraries for Benchmarks
I  compiler_dev.sw.speclib  04/01/97  Base Compiler NonShared Libraries for 
Benchmarks
I  dev.sw.irix_speclibs 04/01/97  IRIX NonShared Libraries for Benchmarks
I  dev.sw32.nonshared_lib  04/01/97  NonShared N32 Libraries
I  dev.sw64.nonshared_lib  04/01/97  NonShared N64 Libraries

I ran configure with non arguements on fileutils-3.16.
I edited the Makefiles in lib, intl, and src directories to add
-non_shared
to the CFLAGS and LDFLAGS lines (if they existed).

After compilation I get

[121] [azure] tohanson/fileutils-3.16/src >file ls
ls:             ELF 64-bit MSB mips-4 executable (not stripped) MIPS - 
version 1
[122] [azure] tohanson/fileutils-3.16/src >file /bin/ls
/bin/ls:        ELF 32-bit MSB mips-2 dynamic executable MIPS - version 1

Azure is an R8000 based computer which is why it uses mips-4.  I leave
it to you to try -n32 or -32 as you need.  You'll find the whole message
in a tar file (source only unless you want otherwise) at

ftp://ftp.lerc.nasa.gov/users/tohanson/fileutils-3.16.nonshared.IRIX6.2.  
tar.gz

Let me know how it goes.
-
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Jeff Hanson ([email-masked]) - Computing Wizard for HSSO
 NYMA, Inc., Senior Member of the Technical Staff
 NASA Lewis Research Center, MS 77-10, Cleveland, Ohio 44135
 Telephone - (216) 433-2284            Fax - (216) 433-3918