Subject: Authtication... other prob.

From: G Tyler Koblasa <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 1997 14:31:18 -0800 (PST)

I need to setup a seperate FTPD that does the following:

- Uses an alternate file to authticate (not /etc/passwd)
- If possible limits the amount disk space the user can use
- If possible, runs script after login.

Any suggestions woul dbe greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tyler Koblasa
Radish Network Services
http://www.radish.net

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 1997 18:42:41 -0400 (EDT)

Tyler,
I had the same exact questions. I'll include some of the responses I
got. But I ended up changing the ftpd code to make the calls to a
database for lookup because I am not running on linux which from what
I understand support the PAM stuff included below. The second thing
about running a program after ftp is done can be done nicely with the
tcp wrappers info included below. I ended up simply writing a shell
script which called ftp from within it and then when ftp returned I
finished up doing some stuff with the rest of the shell script. Hope
this helps

++++ TCP WRAPPERS stuff +++++++

Date: Thu, 19 Dec 1996 16:43:02 -0600
From: "Karl O. Pinc" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Execution of programs within ftp

>Can anyone supply or point me to info on wrapping wuftp so that as a
>client is about to download or finished downloading some other
>programs can be run and results of these other programs can be
>displayed back to the user during the users session. One way would be
>just modifiy the code at the appropriate place to exec the desired
>program, but I was looking for something more standard.

Use tcpwrappers with TWIST.  Send lines beginning with 220 to standard out
(see ftp protocol rfc for syntax details.)  Tcpwrappers can be found at
purdue, somewhere.  Pointer at http://www.meme.com/soft.

Karl

May the Legos (TM) always be swept from your path in the night.

++ USING A PAM MODULE TO DO AUTHENTICATION I think you need red hat linux++

Date: Thu, 16 Jan 1997 11:05:23 -0600
From: "Karl O. Pinc" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: PAM for wu-ftpd

>Can PAM be used if you want to authenticate users out of a database
>instead of the passwd file ?

The interface is supposed to handle any sort of authentication of any
combination of authentication modules.

The pam modules I know of do:
/etc/passwd
/etc/securetty
.rhosts
Skey
something for shadow passwords

There are at least half a dozen others, chase the pam link somewhere at
http://www.redhat.com.  Worse case, you'd have to write your own pam
module.  It should be easy to modify an existing one.

Karl

May the Legos (TM) always be swept from your path in the night.

Date: Fri, 17 Jan 1997 16:35:22 -0600
To: [email-masked]
From: "Karl O. Pinc" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: PAM for wu-ftpd

>Can PAM be used if you want to authenticate users out of a database
>instead of the passwd file ?

Yes.  See:

http://parc.power.net/morgan/libpwdb/html/pwdb.html

Karl

May the Legos (TM) always be swept from your path in the night.

-- 
Doug Courtney
[email-masked]
(908)949-3597