Subject: RE: Static-ls

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 1997 22:38:04 -0500 (EST)

On  4 Apr, Roger A. Hanke wrote:
> Jeff,
>  Bless you!
> Using your tar file of GNU fileutils-3.16 and the native IRIX 6.2 compiler 
> with the -non_shared option did the trick. After 4 months of trying and 
> countless
> hours spent talking to SGI, I finally have a static ls version that works 
> on
> IRIX 6.2.

Happy to help.

> 
> But I still dont have a clue what /usr/lib/ldstatic is and why my build 
> attempts
> with fileutils-3.13 and native compiler kept asking for it. Was that a 
> virgin
> fileutils-3.16 tree you delivered to me or had you already made some
> changes to it? I would like to understand why this suddenly succeeded so
> I can feel comfortable that I could do it again with a different version
> someday if necessary.

I have no clue as to what /usr/lib/ldstatic is, nor does it exist on the
6.2 machine that I built things with.  All I did to the fileutils was
to run configure and place -non_shared in the Makefiles for LDFLAGS and
CFLAGS.  This should continue to work with new versions of fileutils
since it worked for 3.12 which is what ftp.lerc.nasa.gov uses.  How
long SGI will continue to make the speclib things available for
building static objects I don't know so I can't speculate on anything
after the MIPSpro 7.1 release (which stil has it, having just loaded
the compilers on my O2 running 6.3).
> 	Thanks again,
> 	Roger Hanke
-- 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Jeff Hanson ([email-masked]) - Computing Wizard for HSSO
 NYMA, Inc., Senior Member of the Technical Staff
 NASA Lewis Research Center, MS 77-10, Cleveland, Ohio 44135
 Telephone - (216) 433-2284            Fax - (216) 433-3918