Subject: [S] wu-ftp on du 4.0 beta 13 (fwd)

From: Becki Kain <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 22:26:34 -0400 (EDT)

the question is - why can neither real or anonymous users log into wu-ftp
beta 13, compiled under DU4.0, without c2 security?  The answer is, if you
use the dec, as opposed to osf, makefile, you pull in a config file that
defines something called SECUREOSF, which then uses bigcrypt to encrypt
the passwd, which you don't want, unless you're running C2.  undef this
variable in the config.h and you're golden.

I'm sending this to wu bugs only because it is not documented in the
install file.

thanks

beckers

Here is Miguel's answer.  

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 1997 03:20:16 +0200
From: Miguel Mena <[email-masked]>
To: Becki Kain <[email-masked]>
Cc: Me <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: wu-ftp on du 4.0 beta 13

I just compiled beta 13 and ... I have no problems at all.

How does your src/config.h look like ?

make sure SECUREOSF is NOT defined. you just need it
for C2 security level.
"build dec" compiles fine with SECUREOSF when
the OSFC2SEC4xx subset is installed, but then
ftpd fails because C2 is not configured.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

   Miguel

-- 

+---------------------------+tm    Miguel Mena
|   |   |   |   |   |   |   |      TRUST - Digital UNIX Support
| d | i | g | i | t | a | l |      DEC Digital Equipment Corporation
|   |   |   |   |   |   |   |      Hofwisenstrasse 50
+---------------------------+      CH-8153 Ruemlang (Switzerland)

phone: +41-1-801-2590      fax: +41-1-801-2172       dtn: 760-2590
email: [email-masked]    www: http://www-rle.zuo.dec.com/~migi

---

From: Greg Shepherd <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 1997 16:10:40 -0700

Is there a web location for config examples? I'm looking for a way to lock
all users into their own home directories when FTP'd in. Is this possible
with wu?

Greg
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Koos van den Hout _U nix and we all_)
Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 00:32:00 +0200 (MET DST)

> all users into their own home directories when FTP'd in. Is this possible

Even though I'm quite the computer-nerd, I thought of a different
meaning of 'locking user homes' then having to do with homedirs.

Anyway : you'll have to define guest users. Read the guestgroup howto,
located at :

URL:ftp://ftp.fni.com/pub/wu-ftpd/guest-howto

and after that the wu-ftpd faq at

URL:http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html

												Grtx KH

-- 
  Koos van den Hout,     Internetter, Unix freak, ISFJ and BBS SysOp at large
  [email-masked] (Work)  <-- finger -l for PGPkey      Fax: +31-30-2586290
  [email-masked] (Home)                      Workphone: +31-30-2586287
  http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/   Looking for a license plate with "RFC 822"

---

From: Ben Mehlman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 1997 18:38:35 -0400 (EDT)

I know this has been mentioned before-  I just went through my saved list
messages and found a lot of questions on it but no answer...

I have a situation where, I think under certain abnormal TCP disconnect
conditions, ftpd processes will be left permanently and uselessly dangling.
Eventually enough of these accumulate to fill the class and lock everyone
out.  I looked at the code and it seems that the server should time out
after 900 seconds and exit.  So now I'm thinking it must happen during file
receive?  Before I fire up the debugger I'm hoping someone has some clues on
this.  BTW, I am running 'stock' wu-ftpd 2.4 under AIX.  I do plan on
upgrading to the latest at some point, but I've some custom authentication
stuff in there and it would be more effort than I can handle right now to
move it.  I would rather just fix this one bug for now..

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
Ben Mehlman

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ben Mehlman                                   Vladimir: Well?  Shall we go?
Prodigy Services Company                      Estragon: Yes, let's go.
[email-masked]                                   (They do not move).

---

From: Alan Halachmi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 1997 21:10:22 -0500 (CDT)

You can have wu execute a chroot if you put a period into the passwd path
for the user.  Ex: user:x:210:100:::/usr/home/./  This makes /usr/home
apear to be / .  However, for this to work you'll have to create a dev,
etc, and bin dir... I could be mistaken, but I think that's what you'll
need. In the dev you need tcp, zero, and udp; in the etc a group and
passwd file (not the ones in /etc) and in bin you'll need ls.

I don't quite remember all of it, but I think that'll get you close.

Alan Halachmi
Solaris Administrator/ Web Design
Montgomery Bell Academy