Subject: ftp not in /etc/passwd

From: Becki Kain <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 22:55:20 -0400 (EDT)

I reported this on arpil 10, and I'm still having this problem.  This is
beta 13, Digital Unix 4.0, started up in inetd.conf like this:

ftp     stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/local/etc/tcpd
/usr/local/bin/ftpd  -l -d -a

and I get this error when I log in as anonymous:

Apr 16 22:44:34 josephus ftpd[841]: josephus.furph.com FTP server (Version
wu-2.4.2-academ[BETA-13](1) Wed Apr 16 22:27:03 EDT 1997) ready.
Apr 16 22:44:37 josephus ftpd[841]: command: USER anonymous^M
Apr 16 22:44:37 josephus ftpd[841]: <--- 530 
Apr 16 22:44:37 josephus ftpd[841]: User anonymous unknown.
Apr 16 22:44:37 josephus ftpd[841]: FTP LOGIN REFUSED (ftp not in
/etc/passwd) FROM quip.eecs.umich.edu [141.212.99.8], anonymous

and this when I log in as myself:

Apr 16 22:44:42 josephus ftpd[841]: command: USER beckers^M
Apr 16 22:44:42 josephus ftpd[841]: <--- 331 
Apr 16 22:44:42 josephus ftpd[841]: Password required for beckers.
Apr 16 22:44:42 josephus ftpd[841]: USER beckers
Apr 16 22:44:46 josephus ftpd[841]: command: PASS password^M
Apr 16 22:44:46 josephus ftpd[841]: PASS password
Apr 16 22:44:46 josephus ftpd[841]: <--- 530 
Apr 16 22:44:46 josephus ftpd[841]: Login incorrect.

even though I'm using the right password.

/etc/passwd and ~ftp/etc/passwd are this:

ftp:*:9997:999:anonymous ftp:/usr/users/ftp:/bin/false
ftp1:*:9998:999:guest ftp:/usr/users/ftp/./:/bin/false

/bin/false is in /etc/shells

ckconfig checks out that ftpaccess is in /usr/local/etc/ftpaccess and in
it is the following:

class   local   real,guest,anonymous *
guestgroup      ftp1

And it seems like the daemon is just ignoring the -a in the startup.  Any
ideas, PLEASE!

thanks

beckers

---

From: Bernhard Rosenkraenzer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 17:51:30 +0200 (MET DST)

> /etc/passwd) FROM quip.eecs.umich.edu [141.212.99.8], anonymous

Are you sure you've created the ftp entry in /etc/shadow as well as
/etc/passwd, and are you sure you've compiled wu-ftpd with shadow password
support?

LLaP
bero

---

From: Becki Kain <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 13:24:19 -0400 (EDT)

I don't have /etc/shadow.  why would I need it?

thanks

beckers

---

From: Bernhard Rosenkraenzer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 23:23:41 +0200 (MET DST)

> I don't have /etc/shadow.  why would I need it?

Your passwd file does not include passwords; they're stored somewhere
else. On most systems, that's /etc/shadow; maybe it's somewhere else for
you.
Try "man adduser" or "man passwd".

LLaP
bero