Subject: Allowing deletes in /pub

From: "John L. Dickinson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 1997 15:58:56 -0700

I'm new at this and  am trying to set up an anonymous ftp site where any
user can read, write or delete files and directories in the /pub area.  In
order to allow deletes, I put the following line in the ftpaccess file:

  delete   yes  guest,anonymous

This enabled the anonymous user to not only delete files in /pub, but also
any other file or directory in the ~ftp area including /bin, /incoming,
welcome.msg and so on.   Permission bit settings were ineffective at
preventing the deletes.  Is this to be expected?  If so, how can I
accomplish what I want?  That is, /pub is completely open and everything
else is locked up for anonymous users.

Thanks,
    John Dickinson, [email-masked]
    Pima County Department of Transportation (Arizona)

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 07:08:43 -0600 (CST)

Deletes are a function of directory permissions, not file permissions.  If
the anonymous users have write access to the directories themselves, they
can delete files in those directories, regardless of permissions or
ownership.

   -- Michael