Subject: wu-ftp-login failes

From: "Cordula Teubner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 1997 16:26:32 +0100

Hallo!

I just have installed the wu-ftpd-2.4 on one of my AIX-machines and now I 
tried to connect to this host with ftp, but it failes.
The user I have tested with ist in the /etc/passwd and hasn't got a 
null-password und the user doesn't appear in the /etc/ftpusers.
But I don't have a command named "getusershell". Could this be my 
problem, or what else? Can anybody help me?

Thanks
Cordula

--------------------------------
Cordula Teubner
WZL / RWTH Aachen 
Lehrstuhl fuer Werkzeugmaschinen
Steinbachstr. 53B
52074 Aachen

Tel.: 0241/807447
Fax : 0241/8888293
email: [email-masked]
--------------------------------

---

From: Ben Mehlman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 1997 13:31:37 -0500 (EST)

> problem, or what else? Can anybody help me?

AIX uses ksh which isn't one of those (/bin/sh, /bin/csh) hard coded into
wu-ftpd.  I must confess I (against advice) hard coded ksh into
getusershell.c along with the others.  I had to severely munge the code to
get it to compile on AIX anyway- this was just one more thing ;)
(wu-ftpd-2.4 'stock' version).  

The right way to do it is to create a file /etc/shells and add each valid
shell to it.

-Ben Mehlman 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ben Mehlman                                   Vladimir: Well?  Shall we go?
Prodigy Services Company                      Estragon: Yes, let's go.
[email-masked]                                   (They do not move).

---

From: Bill Pemberton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 1997 13:56:19 -0500 (EST)

> The right way to do it is to create a file /etc/shells and add each valid

In my opinion, that's very much the WRONG way to do it..... nothing
else in AIX understands /etc/shells, so you'll now be maintaining the
list of valid shells in two places (the real AIX place
/etc/security/login.cfg and /etc/shells).

I've got a patch to wu-ftpd that makes it get the valid shells the
"AIX way" at tigger.itc.virginia.edu:/pub/AIX/wu-ftpd.diffs.txt.gz

-- 
Bill Pemberton                                 [email-masked]
ITC/Unix Systems                               [email-masked]
University of Virginia                         uunet!virginia!wfp5p