Subject: make ftpd problem

From: Kim Lüders-Jensen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 17:20:26 +0100

I'm trying to install wu-ftpd 2.4.2-beta-10 on a RedHat Linux 4.0

After having fixed the glob.c problem I get the following output when
executing ./build lnx:

>make args are:
>make opts are:
<snip>
>
>Making ftpd: 
>make: *** No rule to make target: '/usr/lib/libc.a', needed by 'ftpd'. Stop.

-where did I go wrong?

Any hints would be appreciated!

Kim.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 19:58:49 +0100 (MET)

I have a simple wish from wu-ftpd: I want to give different users
access to their own home directory without the possibility of going to
another place. Ideally, they should think they're in the top level -
just as a anonymous user.

I've tried to set up the option guestgroup in ftpaccess which restricts
them the way I want, but now they can't use ls!

What can I do?

---

From: Jim Showalter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 15:26:10 -0500 (EST)

Well,

I would probably duplicate the /etc /bin /usr/lib /usr/bin and /dev
directories which exist under the anonymous root hierarchy.  Then, since I
am on Unix using Solaris (or SunOS) I would do a loopback file system
mount (type lofs) from that directory to theirs.  This gives them the
necessary stuff to at least do an ls.  Any other apps they need to use
would need to be put in the bin directory.  And if those apps are not
statically linked then the appropriate *.so lib files would need to
included in the new /usr/lib.  This is not easy to maintain but it does
work.

Jim