Subject: Problem with anonumous guest users

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 11:21:41 +0100

I've got the following problem with WU-FTPD 2.4:
     ================================================

     If I ftp and log in as an anonymous guest user, the server initially
     says:

            "Your current dir. is "/"".

     But if I do 'cd /' my current dir. will become the root of the server
     and not the root of the chrooted environment !

     How is this possible ?

     I made an anonymous guest user in WU-FTPD 2.4 ( beta 12 AIX 4.x ) and
     set up the following:

      > a root directory ( /home/guests ) to 'chroot' to,
        which looks like this:

          /home/guests/
                       bin/ls
                       etc/group
                          /passwd
                       lib/libc.a
                          /libcurses.a

      > a guest user in /etc/passwd, which looks like:

          guest1:*:401:400:Guest FTP
     user:/home/guests/./guest1:/etc/ftponly

      > a group ftpguests (gid 400) in the /etc/group file
      > also the same entries in the group and passwd in /home/guests/etc
      > In the ftpaccess file I made an entry :  guestgroup ftpguests
      > For ftpgroups and ftphosts I used the example files

                       C a n   s o m e b o d y   h e l p   m e  ??

---

From: Oliver Stoll <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 1997 12:46:07 +0100

Edwin, see that /etc/ftponly is registered in /etc/shells.

The ftp program tries to verify the shell you're using so
that a user couldn't fake any other programs into it. If
the entry is not there, the shell validation will fail and
the directory default to /.

Regards,

Oliver

-- 
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/ O l i v e r _/_/_/ S t o l l _/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
_/ Network Manager	     	                       	              _/
_/ Cinetic GmbH			      Please send private e-mail to:  _/
_/ [email-masked]  				                      _/
_/ Tel: +49 (721) 94329-0			[email-masked]  _/
_/ Fax: +49 (721) 04320-22					      _/
_/                                                                    _/
_/ Holmes: Once you've eliminated the obvious, the remainder, however _/
_/         improbable, must be the truth.                             _/
_/ Oliver: The highest possiblity to a quick solution is always given _/
_/         by applying the most improbable possibility first.         _/
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

---

From: Pat Wirth <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 11:05:25 -0500 (EST)

Hi Edwin,

I had a similar problem with a real user account.  I looked at similar 
real users and there was no difference anywhere in the setup or config 
files.  In the end the solution was permissions getting to the directory 
of the user.  The permissions on a directory folder 2 layers up from 
the users' account were incorrect.  Check the permissions on all the 
folders in the path going to that user or users.

Hope this helps.

Patrick

>      I've got the following problem with WU-FTPD 2.4:

----- -  -   -  - ----- -  -   -  - ----- -  -   -  - -----
Ingenia Communications Corporation      Patrick Wirth
Tel: (613) 224.6555 ext:208             Comp. Sys. Engineering
Fax: (613) 224.6587                     [email-masked]
----- -  -   -  - ----- -  -   -  - ----- -  -   -  - -----