Subject: sub-login logging

From: David Hawley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 1997 12:15:14 -0800 (PST)

Cancell my last question.  I just found it.

David

---

From: David Hawley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 1997 13:47:57 -0800 (PST)

Even though I found the place that sub-login logging is *supposed* to be done from,
(../../../ftpaccess) it doesn't work.  This is what I have:

log commands real,anonymous,sub-login
log transfer anonymous,real,sub-login inbound,outbound

(note: name of customer changed to "sub-login" here)

Now I have a few questions about this.  In the book Managing Internet Information
Services it uses the words "log transfer" in our file it said "log transfers".
Would that cause it to not work either way?

Perhaps I'm just having trouble getting the proper daemon to reread the config files.

Since /usr/local/etc/ftpd is controlled by /etc/inetd.conf I do a kill -1 on inetd, which
seems to have no effect at the time, but later on I see the changes (I ran ftp with the
-a and -d options, after an unknown while these took effect (but not right away).  there
is no /../../../ftpd running all the time.  We would prefer not to just reboot everytime
the files change.

thanks, David

---

From: [email-masked] (William E. Diego)
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 1997 17:09:12 -0500

> is no /../../../ftpd running all the time.  We would prefer not to just reboot everytime
 
ftpd does _not_ run all the time. It is only invoked when an ftp connection
is initiated (send/receive).  You might want to make sure that there are
no active ftp connections before you give your -1 (Hangup=HUP) signal to
inted.

-bd