Subject: ftpd syslog message????

From: "Edward A. Sarog" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 09:13:27 -0500

hello :)

can anyone explain the following message:

"ftpd[5913]: exiting on signal 11^M". i "find" it in syslog.

thanx in advance,

edward

       _/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
      _/ IIIIII SSSSS DDDD   _/  edward sarog: unix systems _/
     _/   II   SS    DD  DD _/  harris corporation [ISD]   _/
    _/   II     SS  DD  DD _/  p.o. box 37                _/
   _/   II      SS DD  DD _/  melbourne, florida 32902   _/
  _/ IIIIII SSSSS DDDDD  _/  [email-masked]          _/
 _/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

---

From: Alex Belits <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 06:51:01 -0800 (PST)

> "ftpd[5913]: exiting on signal 11^M". i "find" it in syslog.

  The same thing as "Segmentation fault" in shell. Signal 11 is SIGSEGV.
In other words, something is terribly wrong, and ftpd accessed some memory
that doesn't belong to it or tried to write into readonly one.

--
Alex