Subject: automatic genration of the README file

From: Monika Adamczyk <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 11:20:01 -0500

Hi,
I would like to be able to generate README me file at the ftp root
level with will display content of all .message files from every
directory, even if I change content of them or add/subsctract a
directory from the server. 
Can somebody tell me how to do it. 
Thanks,
Monika

---

From: [email-masked] (Chris Brown)
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 08:49:01 -0800 (PST)

> Can somebody tell me how to do it. 

Try running a crontask or if you don't mind doing it manually, make it a
shell script, which does this:

cp /dev/null ~ftp/README
find ~ftp -name .message -exec cat {} >>~ftp/README \;
exit

You might want to beautify it a bit, but that should do what you want.

Chris...

---

From: Randy Katz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 09:10:32 -0800

Use a PERL script (you write) that checks every file/directory and
catalogues them and extracts the description of the file from within the
file itself either:

	a) on a specific line of the file.
	b) or with special text like DESC: this file is the blah blah.

You can let the cron daemon (through crontab) execute the script every x
minutes, hours, days, etc...

Thanx,
Randy Katz