Subject: Problems getting guestgroup working

From: "Kevin W. Reed - Mail Admin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 23:34:32 -0700

I'm in the process of setting up a new server using Linux Red Hat 4.1.
This version of Linux has included wu-ftpd 2.4.2 academ BETA-12[1].

I currently have an older version of wu-ftp running on an SCO Unix 3.2v4.2
(Version 2.4(2) ) box doing this without any problems but there seems to 
be some changes in how the ftp directories are setup (No dev directory 
for one).

I want to setup a user (catsca) so that they can access only their specific
ftp area. On the SCO box this works.  On the Linux box the login always 
fails but I don't get a message saying exactly what is wrong.

If I setup the user as a normal user and point their home directory to
simply /home/ftp/username, it works just fine.

If I setup the user as it should be with /home/ftp/./username it always
fails.

The directory permissions look correct, the UID for the account belongs
to the user, the GID is the guestgroup...

I am not using Virtual Host so that isn't the problem...

The only error I see is "failed login"... in the syslog file on the
Linux box...

Any suggestions...

-- 
==========================================================================
Kevin W. Reed (KWR10)                   TeleSys Development Systems (TNET)
E-Mail: [email-masked]           Disability Systems & Software Development
WEB: http://www.tnet.com        MAJORDOMO - MAILBOT Administration Account
 MUTT Mail Users Agent WEB Archives are Online @ http://www.tnet.com/mutt

---

From: "Walter Harms" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 09:29:25 +0100 (MET)

Do you use shadow passwd on the linux side ? (my default) it drove me crasy
before i undestood that that was my problem ....

	walter

-- 
-----
"I think it's ironic,"  said Phil Zimmermann, "that the
 thing I'm being honored for is the same thing that I
 might be indicted for." (Newsweek, April 21, 1995)
-----

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 08:49:02 -0600 (CST)

The guest howto and the latest beta are below.  Both are recommended.

   -- Michael

> fails but I don't get a message saying exactly what is wrong.

This is the location for the latest wu-ftpd.  You can't see the
directory contents, but get the file anyway.  It's there.

ftp://ftp.academ.com/pub/wu-ftpd/private/wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-13.tar.Z

wu-ftpd FAQ:  http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html
              OR
              send mail to [email-masked]
              with a subject line: send faq

guest howto:  ftp://ftp.fni.com/pub/wu-ftpd/guest-howto
              OR
              send mail to "[email-masked]"
              (immediate autoresponder; subject does not matter)

wu-ftpd list archive:  http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/mail-archive/

There are additional security references in the above docs.

---

From: "Kevin W. Reed - Mail Admin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 08:23:35 -0700

Subject: Re: Problems getting guestgroup working
Date: Mon, Mar 24, 1997 at 08:49:02AM -0600

> > fails but I don't get a message saying exactly what is wrong.

Found the problem....

The users passwd entry looked something like:

catsca:password:213:63:CATSCA FTP WEB Directory:/home/rftp/./catsca:/bin/false

/bin/false was not in /etc/shells