Subject: Guest Users

From: [email-masked] (Jim Robinson)
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 1997 18:07:05 -0500

I am running wu-ftpd on an SGI Indy irix 6.2. I have tried all kinds of
suggestions about how to configure the /etc/passwd file for guest ftp users
and have narrowed it down to the shell. If I use /bin/csh at for the guest
user's shell in /etc/passwd everything is great. The chroot is fine hitting
the right directory and the guest is unable to cd to any other directories
which is the way I want it. However there is a huge security hole here as
the guest user set up in /etc/passwd can telnet or rlogin and get all
around the system. I have tried /dev/null, /bin/false and even /bin/true
listing all in /etc/shells as directed to no avail. the ftp server always
denys the guest user access unless I have set his account up with /bin/csh
as his shell. I have heard about some thing called ftponly. There are some
elusions on the newsgroups that this is a dummy file and I also read where
the source had to be compiled. This looks like the solution but how do I
get the binary (I have no compilers at this time)? I have tried putting an
ftponly dummy file in /etc as directed and also including it in /etc/shells
to no avail. It has also been suggested that one can create a shell to deny
access via telnet or rlogin but to allow ftp access only. Can you shed some
light on this dilemma? Cheers.....JR

Jim A Robinson
Moneypit Inc.
www.fitertown.com
www.moneypit.net
[email-masked]
Informed decision-making comes from a long tradition of guessing and then
blaming others for inadequate results.....Dogbert

---

From: "Steven K. Buehler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 06:11:47 -0600

Try using /nosuchshell

>blaming others for inadequate results.....Dogbert

======================================================
Steven K. Buehler
S & B Computers
Rockford Illinois, USA
Phone: 815-398-7169
Fax: 815-398-7266
======================================================