Subject: Re: FTP Dropping Xfers ??!!

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 14:12:52 EST

Hi,

I am trying to fix similar problems too. I think it may relate to
TCP Tuning.

This my checklist:
- the MTU should be the minimal MTU along the route,to avoid
  fragmentation
- MSS= MTU +52 to send full packets (to be checked).
- tcp_sendspace= 4 * mss to avoid excessive retranssion by TCP, in
  the case of high percentage of packet loss ( use  ping with
  packet size = average file size) . This should give robustness,
  at the expense of throughput, for connections over the internet
- use netstat a lot, look for dropped packets, fragmented packets,...
- if on the internet, disable the MTU discover option
- I don't know about whether or not to allow rfc1323

Any advice welcome, I am not a guru.

But is this mailing list may not be the right place....

Rgds,
Gilles

                               Gilles Ciselet       IBM Belgium
                               Tel: 322 718 47 66    Fax: 40 23
                               [email-masked]