Subject: wu-ftpd

From: Jim Mowrer <[email-masked]>
Date: 19 Mar 97 14:17:47 EST

I don't know if this is a list server or not, but I am trying to find someone 
that supports wu-ftpd.  Question below.. 

thanks Jim 

 We have WU-FTPD(2.4) running on our 
site. Question is this.  I  don't seem to be able to use "quote site group or 
groups" to change to a group that would allow me access to certain files..  for 
example .. If I have access to groups(via /etc/group) "test, ediadm, users" in 
that order.. If I ftp to my server and log in with a valid UID (not anonymous) 
I can get files that have permissions of "644", but if I go  to a directory 
that has permissions of  "755" and a file in that directory with permissions of 
"640", and that file is in group "users", I get permission denied.  Ok, I 
should.. then I use "quote site group users" and ftp say group accepted, but 
when I use the 'quote site groups' command I get returned to me a blank line 
and I also get permission denied when I do a get.  Do I need to have 
"ftpgroups" in /etc? I think I have missed something somewhere.. Hope I gave 
you enough to go on.    Thanks  Jim

---

From: Bob Luckin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 97 14:54:41 CST

Jim said :-
>you enough to go on.    Thanks  Jim   

Jim, you didn't mention this in your message (you may have thought it was
obvious), so I'll say it to make sure you know...  You need to follow up the
   quote site group users
command with a
   quote site gpass <password>
command, supplying the relevant password for the group entry, in order
for the change to take place.  Until and unless you supply the correct
password, you can't change the group.

As you suspected, the group entry must be in the /etc/ftpgroups file (along
with the encrypted password).  For my installation, this file is at
~ftp/etc/ftpgroups, with /etc/ftpgroups being a link to the same place,
so that the command will work for both regular and anonymous users.

I hope this helps !

Cheers, Bob
-- 
Bob Luckin      [email-masked]      "A man, a plan, a canal, Suez !"

---

From: Alain Magloire <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 18:38:34 -0500 (EST)

> so that the command will work for both regular and anonymous users.

To add to Mr Luckin explanations
you should also have
private yes
in ftpaccess
check the path with ckconfig

-- 
au revoir, alain
----
Teamwork is essential -- it allows you to blame someone else.