Subject: passwords

From: Steve Lee <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 03:01:16 GMT

Hello All

SunOS newchrono 5.5.1 Generic_103640-04 sun4m sparc SUNW,SPARCstation-10

I have set up wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-12 to run chrooted under tcp wrappers.

I am going to have a couple of users maintaining the product accounts
on the ftp server once I finish setting it up. They will need to be
able to change the account passwords.  As I have set them up to use
site group and gpass to access product subdirectories they will also
need to be able to change the group passwords.

The problem is this, Solaris 2.5.1 makes no provision I can find for
changing the password in any file other than /etc/shadow.  That means
changing the passwords in my /public/etc/shadow and my
/public/etc/group files is a problem.  Has anybody else solved this
one?

I would GREATLY prefer not to have users cutting and pasting passwords
into those files.   :(

Thanks All
Steve Lee