Subject: real users lose

From: [email-masked] (Bob Hardy)
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 97 14:29:36 PST

Hello, folks!

I know this is a FAQ - but I have looked at the official FAQ, and
those solutions didn't fix me.  I'll try to provide helpful details,
and perhaps they will remind someone of a similar scenario.

I'm trying to set up an *intranet* ftp server on a SunOS 4.1.3 box,
and have mostly succeeded.  However, I cannot log in as myself!  And
as I am the testcase for 'real' users generally, I fear this bodes not
well for they who yet shall follow.

Here's how it looks:

   Connected to 148.57.5.101.
   220 ftp-hal FTP server (Version wu-2.4(3) Thu Feb 27 22:24:12 PST 1997) ready.
   Name (148.57.5.101:bobh): bobh
   530 User bobh access denied.
   Login failed.
   Remote system type is UNIX.
   Using binary mode to transfer files.

Relevant lines from ftpaccess:

   class   all   real,guest *
   limit   all   5   Any              /etc/msgs/msg.toomany

I have a normal passwd entry in etc/passwd, my (NFS-mounted) home
directory is visible on the server system, and anonymous logins
succeed every time.  My shell is in etc/shells, and here's the
significant line from /etc/inetd.conf:

   ftp     stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/local/etc/ftpd     ftpd -a

Anybody see a flaw here?  I don't quite understand where I've gone
wrong.

Thanks!

                                -- Bob

              Bob Hardy, System Administrator/Webmaster
             HAL Computer Systems Inc., A Fujitsu Company
                1315 Dell Avenue, Campbell, CA  95008
  Email: [email-masked],  Voice: (408) 341-5083,  FAX: (408) 341-5401
            WWW Home page: http://web.hal.com/users/bobh/

---

From: [email-masked] (Bob Hardy)
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 97 15:11:56 PST

I seem to have solved my own problem.

> Date: Thu, 6 Mar 97 14:29:36 PST
> From: [email-masked] (Bob Hardy)

>    530 User bobh access denied.

This was true, until I renamed my ftphosts file.  Then it worked.
With that clue, I started messing around with my entry in ftphosts,
and it turned out to be the fully-qualified host.domainname.  When I
had ".hal.com" on the end of the hostname, it failed.  When I took it
off, it worked.  Go figure!

                                -- Bob

---

From: Alain Magloire <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 18:43:52 -0500 (EST)

Bonjour Mr Bob Hardy

> off, it worked.  Go figure!

The matching(fnmatch()) failed surely for a good reason.
check your syslog for something like this
syslog(LOG_NOTICE,
                    "FTP LOGIN REFUSED (name in %s) FROM %s [%s], %s",
                     _PATH_FTPHOSTS, remotehost, remoteaddr, name);

and see why 
remotehost != "*.hal.com"

you may doing multihoming and have different PTR records, in that case you
should had them all in ftphosts.

-- 
au revoir, alain
_______P_________O____________I______R___________E___
POIRE: Premature Optimization Is the Root of all Evil