Subject: Mirroring

From: [email-masked] (Ming lu)
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 16:30:55 -0500

Hi, all:

I am new to this group.... :-)

I would like to know whether the mirroring is a part of wu-ftpd.
I would like to know where I can find the information regard the
mirroring.

TIA

Regards

Ming

---

From: "Karl O. Pinc" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 15:40:48 -0600

>I would like to know where I can find the information regard the

Mirroring seems a client sort of thing.  I'm not sure what a server would
do to support it.

I've used a program called "mirror", available at
ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/packages/ftp-archive/mirror/.  This worked fine
for me, but I wouldn't mind hearing suggestions from others.

Karl

May the Legos (TM) always be swept from your path in the night.

---

From: Nathan Rawling <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 17:31:42 -0500 (EST)

I am hoping to set up an anonymous ftp server using wu-ftpd 2.4 on a
Solaris 2.5.1 system. Everything was going well, until I tried to create
the neccessary device files (tcp,zero, etc).

When I tried to create device files in AFS, for the chrooted environment,
it fails. After a few moments with the AFS FAQ I discovered that you
can't create character or block special files in /afs.

Has anyone found a way around this? I would like to have anonymous
chrooted into AFS between the access permissions are so much stronger, and
we can so the files in AFS instead of on local disk.

Nathan

---

From: Donald Ball <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 17:40:53 -0500 (EST)

mirror is good and it's what I use, I've also heard good things about
wget, a new GNU mirroring tool, but haven't used it yet. wget is available
at ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/gnu/wget-1.4.4.tar.gz. Btw, the mirror on
sunsite is out of date, thanks for pointing it out to me. SunSITE UK is
the authoritative site for mirror, I believe the current version is 2.5.
Guess we need to update our mirror mirror. :)

- donald

---

From: James Hawtin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 21:50:06 +0000 (GMT)

Another client that can be used for both html and ftp mirroring is wget

James

---

From: "Jeff J. Dingbaum" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 17:15:06 -0600 (CST)

> we can so the files in AFS instead of on local disk.

Yes, I have done it on several machines.  You can take a small partition,
say 10MB or so, do a newfs on it and then mount it on
/afs/cellname/ftparea/dev   Then you can make udp, tcp, zero, and
ticotsord and everything should work fine.

Jeff Dingbaum   		HEP Network Resource Center @ Fermilab
[email-masked]		PO Box 500, MS368
system admin, webmaster, 	Batavia, IL 60510-0500
postmaster, coffeemaker 	(630)840-8472  (630)840-8463 fax

---

From: David Parter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 17:25:14 -0600

> ticotsord and everything should work fine.

we are using wu-ftpd and AFS on solaris 2.5.1, and I make a memory-based
file system at boot time for ~ftp/dev

	--david

---

From: James Hawtin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 22:33:49 +0000 (GMT)

A work arround would be to mount your /pub directory in afs, and leave the
rest as a normal file system, which allows character special files.

James.

---

From: James Hawtin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 01:03:32 +0000 (GMT)

>From having talked to the author of wget, I know it is his intention to blow 
mirror out of the water or is that net? Anyway, wget might be something to 
watch even if it does not fit your current requirements.

James