Subject: Supporting Virtual FTP Servers in WU-FTPD

From: Kent Landfield <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 15:40:48 -0600 (CST)

I have my first version of an FAQ describing virtual server support up and
available at

	http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/virtual-ftp-faq.html

Please take a minute and send me any suggestions on improving it. Thanks.

-- 
Kent Landfield                        Phone: 1-817-545-2502             
The Landfield Group                   FAX:   1-817-545-7650             
Email: [email-masked]             http://www.landfield.com/
Please send comp.sources.misc related mail to [email-masked].
Search the Usenet Hypertext FAQ Archive at http://www.faqs.org/faqs/

---

From: Bob Luckin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 97 16:04:41 CST

Kent,

> Please take a minute and send me any suggestions on improving it. Thanks.

If you haven't already done so, you might want to check the FTP related bits
of the Virtual FAQ at
   http://www.Linux-Consulting.com/FAQ_virtual
to see if there is anything useful there you can include...

Cheers, Bob
-- 
Bob Luckin      [email-masked]      "Rats live on no evil planet"

---

From: "Karl O. Pinc" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 16:33:02 -0600

>Please take a minute and send me any suggestions on improving it. Thanks.

Re-reading what I wrote: Re: An Alternative way of supporting virtual ftp
servers, Step 4.  You should probably add:

Note that there needs to be a line like

virtual 10.10.10.10 root /var/ftp/virtual/ftp-serv

for each virtual ftp server in the ftpaccess file used by the virtual
server.  This line directs the virtual server to the approprite root
directory for anonymous ftp access.  If this directive is not present the
home directory of the "ftp" user will be used as root for anonymous ftp to
the virtual server.

(Example virtual command cut from your faq.)

I don't know that the need for the "virtual root" directive was made clear
in my description.

And a correction:  You have an an example tcpwrapper configuration line:
>
>              [email-masked] : ALL : twist exec /usr/local/sbin/ftpd
>              -l -a /etc/ftpaccess s/x.meme.com

The path to the ftpaccess file has a space in it and shouldn't.  It should
read:

[email-masked] : ALL : twist exec /usr/local/sbin/ftpd
 -l -a /etc/ftpaccess/x.meme.com

Karl

May the Legos (TM) always be swept from your path in the night.