Subject: .rhosts and .forward

From: Yahia Alaoui <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 1997 10:22:57 +0100

Hello there,

I have set up a guest account following the howto.

Everything works well.

But what the purpose of .rhosts and .forward files.

Although they belong to root. The guest can  easily delete them

Any ideas ?

Thanks

Yahia Alaoui
Groupe Open

---

From: [email-masked] (Geoff Terry Systems & Net supt 064 923677)
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 09:27:46 +1100 (EST)

Surely not if the file mode grants no access (w) to the guest.
 The .rhosts is used to control rsh access ie a list of host accountname
grant rsh access to the machine.
 The .forward is used by the mailer and is also a security risk.

Regards geofft

>Although they belong to root. The guest can  easily delete them
Geoff Terry    Systems & Network Support
ACR Net        Sapphire Coast NSW 2550
Australia
Ph 064 923677  Mobile 015 668 227 Fax 064 924594