Subject: ftp via netscape is not working

From: Kathleen Thiel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 17:06:28 -0500 (EST)

I installed wuftpd on a RS/6000 running AIX4.2 a few months ago. I was informed a few days ago that if you access the ftp site via the web page, it only prompted the user to download a file if it had a .tar, .tar.Z, or a .tar.gz extention. All other files were just displayed by the browser. Is this normal behavior? I want to be able to ftp anything, i.e. README files, programs (*.c), etc. Is this possible? (Besides making sure everything is tared up).

Thanks
Kathleen Thiel

---

From: Alain Magloire <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 17:33:42 -0500 (EST)

Salut A Vous, O Grand Manitou Kathleen Thiel !!

> 
> I installed wuftpd on a RS/6000 running AIX4.2 a few months ago.
> I was informed a few days ago that if you access the ftp site via the web page, 
>it only prompted the user to download a file if it had a .tar, .tar.Z, or a
> .tar.gz extention. All other files were just displayed by the browser. 
> Is this normal behavior?

This a client(web browser) configuration problem, there is nothing you can do
on the server side. Ftpd just send the file down the wire.

In short, if the web browser doesn't understand an extension it will save
it on disk(normal behaviour). This behaviour can be change with the mime.types and mailcap
See options and read about MIME.

> I want to be able to ftp anything, i.e. README files, programs (*.c), etc.
> Is this possible? (Besides making sure everything is tared up).
> 

I'm not sure if understand the question, but what's wrong with
"Save As.."

Or in netscape if you click the third button and click
"Save Link as .."
The file will not be display but save on disk

-- 
au revoir, alain
----
Teamwork is essential -- it allows you to blame someone else.

---

From: "Gregory S. Youngblood" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 18:00:01 -0500

The problem your having has to do with the web browser. Since browsers
typically can show .txt files and other files they will attempt to 'show
them'. Only binary formats that they do not understand (or have helper apps
defined for) will generally 'download'. I am assuming that web browsers are
accessing your files via "ftp://yoursite.name.com/path/to/files/" and not
via the web server.

At 05:06 PM 3/14/97 -0500, you wrote:
>
>I installed wuftpd on a RS/6000 running AIX4.2 a few months ago. I was
informed a few days ago that if you access the ftp site via the web page,
it only prompted the user to download a file if it had a .tar, .tar.Z, or a
.tar.gz extention. All other files were just displayed by the browser. Is
this normal behavior? I want to be able to ftp anything, i.e. README files,
programs (*.c), etc. Is this possible? (Besides making sure everything is
tared up).

---

From: Bob Luckin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 97 17:23:29 CST

Kathleen Thiel said :-
> I installed wuftpd on a RS/6000 running AIX4.2 a few months ago. I was informed a few days ago that if you access the ftp site via the web page, it only prompted the user to download a file if it h…

This behaviour is comtrolled by the Web browser, not the FTP daemon.
In UNIX Netscape, if you hold the shift key down when you click on the link
with the usual (left) mouse button, it will automatically download the file
to disk for you.

You can also get this behaviour by clicking on the link with the right mouse
button, and choose the "Save link as..." option from the pop-up menu which
appears.

However, you can also change the _default_ behaviour by going into the
   Options => General Preferences... => Helpers
option from the menubar, and changing the appropriate MIME configuration
mapping.

On my Netscape (3.01), I have the following mapping set :-
   application/octet-stream      Save To Disk
and as a result, all my FTP files are downloaded to disk when I click on
them normally (ie. unshifted) - I don't get them displayed on screen even
when they aren't tarred or compressed.

I think this is the behaviour you are after, so you might like to try
setting this and see if it works for you...

Good luck !

Cheers, Bob
-- 
Bob Luckin      [email-masked]      "Rats live on no evil planet"