Subject: Can't get ftpconversions to work, all simple checks performed.... -2

From: Albert Brouwer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 15:15:47 +0100

Hi folks,

After a lot of debugging I solved my initial problem, being that
ftpconversions did not work. The solution was in the ftpaccess
file. The lines granting compres, tar and gzip were incorrect. The
simplest way to solve it was by putting an '*' instead of the class
names.

However, compression now works, but something strange
happens when I try to tar something. It does start up /bin/tar and
it does send data over, however, the resulting <file>.tar file is
always 0 bytes big !?!?!?!

Does anybody know what is going wrong there ?????

Any help will be greatly appreciated.....

PS.: Here is my ftpconversions file again:

 :.Z:  :  :/bin/compress -d -c
%s:T_REG|T_ASCII:O_UNCOMPRESS:UNCOMPRESS
 :   : :.Z:/bin/compress -c
%s:T_REG:O_COMPRESS:COMPRESS
 :.gz: :  :/bin/gzip -cd
%s:T_REG|T_ASCII:O_UNCOMPRESS:GUNZIP
 :   : :.gz:/bin/gzip -9 -c %s:T_REG:O_COMPRESS:GZIP
 :   : :.tar:/bin/tar -c -f - %s:T_REG|T_DIR:O_TAR:TAR
 :   : :.tar.Z:/bin/tar -c -Z -f -
%s:T_REG|T_DIR:O_COMPRESS|O_TAR:TAR+COMPRESS
 :   : :.tar.gz:/bin/tar -c -z -f -
%s:T_REG|T_DIR:O_COMPRESS|O_TAR:TAR+GZIP

Albert Brouwer

---

From: "Karl L. Noell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 16:26:14 +0100 (MET)

> simplest way to solve it was by putting an '*' instead of the class
Thank you for that valuable hint. I too have encountered that problem
(ftpconversions didn't work).

> always 0 bytes big !?!?!?!
That's not the case with my installation.  You can test it with
anonymous ftp:
                  ftp.informatik.fh-wiesbaden.de

I've testet it with:

                  get dirname.tar
                  get dirname.tar.gz
                  get dirname.tar.Z

and everything was ok after replacing the wrong parameters by '*' as you
suggested. 

Regards
 ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
 Karl L. Noell                              Tel.: +49 611 9495-201
 fhw - Dept. of Computer Science            Fax : +49 611 9495-210
 Wiesbaden, Germany
 ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

---

From: Lars Wessels <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 17:04:06 +0100

>Does anybody know what is going wrong there ?????

Does your tar binary require shared libs? If you're unsure try to recompile
the GNU sources with gcc and "-static". This worked for me, I had the
same problem with downloaded tar files being 0 bytes in size.

So long,
Lars

------------------------------------------------------------------
 Lars Wessels    Institute for Economic Policy Research (IWW)
                 University of Karlsruhe, Germany
                 Phone: +49 721 608 4780/6172  Fax. +49 721 607376
                 eMail: [email-masked]