Subject: Re: Solaris 2.5.1, Solaris Recommended patches for 2.5.1, a

From: "Wayne Hall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 97 14:18:48 PST

Well I do not know for sure about 2.5.1 but, I did install the 
     recommend patches for Sol 2.5 x86  from
     ftp://sunsolve1.Sun.COM/pub/patches/patches.html
     about two weeks ago and my beta 12 is running fine. We are a pretty 
     busy site with 6-7000 downloads a day so I think it is safe to say it 
     has been tested out here and is ok.
     
     Wayne Hall
     VIE
     [email-masked]

______________________________ Reply Separator _________________________________
Subject: Solaris 2.5.1,  Solaris Recommended patches for 2.5.1, and b
Author:  [email-masked] at virgin-internet
Date:    3/4/97 2:01 PM

Does anyone know of any problems with the Solaris Recommended patches 
causing problems with wu-ftpd maybe?
     
Are most people who Run Sol 2.5.1 and wu-ftpd, apply the Recommend patch 
cluster?
     
Just wondering if this could be causing problems too... 
     
Thanks,
Mike Farace
[email-masked]

---

From: Mike Farace <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 1997 12:27:27 -0800

I am have created and admin user for the ftp server's partition.  It
allows this admin user to have full access to this ftp partition to
manage it.  This user also needs to add new users for ftp access.

Apparently if I add them to group 14 (sysadmin), they can then do it
from the admintool.  But I need a command line option, so they can run
/usr/sbin/useradd - which only is allowed to be run by root.

Anyone have any other ideas?  I have heard of utililities that can give
limited root functions to a user...  does anyone have one, or know if
that would even work?

Thanks,

Mike Farace
[email-masked]
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Koos van den Hout _U nix and we all_)
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 1997 23:25:27 +0100 (MET)

> limited root functions to a user...  does anyone have one, or know if

sudo sounds like what you need. You could even set sudo to only let that
admin add users with useradd -g ftpadmin ...

The latest sudo may always be gotten via anonymous ftp
from ftp.courtesan.com in the directory /pub/sudo/.

						Grtx KH

-- 
  Koos van den Hout,     Internetter, Unix freak, ISFJ and BBS SysOp at large
  [email-masked] (Work)  <-- finger -l for PGPkey      Fax: +31-30-2586290
  [email-masked] (Home)                      Workphone: +31-30-2586287
  http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/   Looking for a license plate with "RFC 822"

---

From: Bernhard Rosenkraenzer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 1997 22:42:24 +0100 (MET)

> /usr/sbin/useradd - which only is allowed to be run by root.

You'd need a setuid root adduser tool, or a setuid-root wrapper for an
adduser tool.
For a simple (but probably not very secure) way, ask root to create a
setuid root shellscript like this:

#!/bin/sh
/sbin/useradd -m -s /dev/null -g ftponly -d /ftp/user/$1 $1
                    ^^^^^^^^^    ^^^^^^^    ^^^^^^^^^^
                    Shell        group      homedir. base

Then call the script with the username as parameter whenever you want to
create a new user.

LLaP
bero