Subject: user types/class question

From: Michael Hughes <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 00:59:15 -0500 (EST)

Hello, I'm a newly empowered temporary sys admin (ie the real one quit...)

My ftpaccess file has the following classes and limits defined:

	class   local   real,guest,anonymous *.myhost.foo 0.0.0.0
	class   remote  real,guest,anonymous *

	limit   local   100  Any                /etc/msgs/msg.toomany	
	limit   remote  200 SaSu|Any1800-0600   /etc/msgs/msg.toomany
	limit   remote  200  Any                /etc/msgs/msg.toomany

To me, this is saying that anyone who makes an ftp connection to my site
is considered a member of the local class, be they of the real, guest or 
anonymous usertype.

I'm no expert, but from what I understand about groups, this doesn't make 
any sense.

Even though the first limit line for class local is set for 100,
can 300 real users connect to me since the limit line just below
for the remote class (which has the same users) is set for 200? (despite 
the fact I suspect that no one can come in as remote due to the *
at the end of the remote clas definition line...)

Or does that mean only 100 people can access my archive at a time,
no matter what their user type is? (real, guest or anon)

I'm thinking that I should make the entry more like:

	class local real
	class guests guest
	class anonymouses anonymous

in order to make more connections available for all user types. (?)

Any advice you could give me is appreciated in advance!

						-- Michael

---

From: Dave Goldsmith <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 20:56:09 -0800

>         class   remote  real,guest,anonymous *

The first line states that any computers in your DNS domain are to be
considered as local hosts. The second line states that any other
computers are to be considered remote. The "class" lines are compared in
sequential order until one is matched.

>         limit   remote  200  Any                /etc/msgs/msg.toomany

The first line limits "local" users; those in your DNS domain (see class
"local" above); to 100 concurrent connections. The second and third
lines apply to "remote" users. Weekends and nights up to 200 can connect
and any other time up to 200 hundred can connect.

The fact that both remote restrictions are set to be 200 is probably a
typo. The third limit line would normally be set to a lower number to
cover weekday accesses than the second line which covers nights and
weekends.

Dave Goldsmith
[email-masked]