Subject: Can I do this?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 15:06:09 -0500

Hello everyone.  I would like to know if I can do the following with 
     wu-ftp:
     
     . I would like to set up an anonymous ftp site (that I know wu-ftp can 
     do :-)).
     . I would like to have a directory that people can upload to, but once 
     files are uploaded, they can not see them or modify them.  This I'm 
     pretty sure I can do.  The FAQ says to set the owner of the directory 
     to non ftp, turn off read-other in the directory, and I think set the 
     't' bit to prevent deletes.
     . Here is the fun part: I want other anonymous people to be able to 
     download these files if they know what the file name is.  In other 
     words, they can not see the files with 'ls', but if they type 'get 
     apple314' then they will get the file 'apple314'.
     
     What we're trying to do is provide an easy way for staff to exchange 
     files with the outside, but deter the site from becoming a warz site.
     
     Thanks in advance.

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 14:22:26 -0600 (CST)

>      't' bit to prevent deletes.

Directory permissions of 0733, non ftp owned, works well.

>      apple314' then they will get the file 'apple314'.

Just set upload permissions to 444 in /etc/ftpaccess.  The file is
readable even though the directory is not.

   -- Michael

---

From: "Karl O. Pinc" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 14:31:18 -0600

>     files with the outside, but deter the site from becoming a warz site.

Just set permissions on the directory that people upload into so that
people do not have read permissions but they do have execute permission.

However, I think your purpose would be better served by having a "public"
account that is allowed to upload into a publicly available directory.  You
would give the password to the "public" account to those staff who you wish
to be able to distribute information.  Assuming you don't just give each
staff member his own account and allow them to upload onto your ftp site --
the staff are then accountable.

Alternately, the public account can download  anonymously uploaded files,
and your staff hands out the password to those with whom they wish to
exchange information.  However, this second choice is not as safe.

Karl

May the Legos (TM) always be swept from your path in the night.

---

From: Donald Ball <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 16:47:34 -0500 (EST)

>     files with the outside, but deter the site from becoming a warz site.

If our experience at sunsite is any judge, this type of strategy is a
fairly poor deterrence, since warez doodz generally distribute complete
pathnames when advertising their stuff. However, if you're a low profile
site it's probably not a big deal as long as you keep a close eye on it. 

- donald

---

From: Alain Magloire <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 16:56:30 -0500 (EST)

Bonjour Mr Donald Ball
> site it's probably not a big deal as long as you keep a close eye on it. 

I second this :-)
I would advise the 
SITE GROUP, SITE GPASS approach
it is more suitable for this type of cooperative exchange

-- 
au revoir, alain
_______P_________O____________I______R___________E___
POIRE: Premature Optimization Is the Root of all Evil
                     D.K or is it B.K ? maybe A.M ;-)