Subject: Contents of wu-ftpd FAQ

From: [email-masked] (Koos van den Hout _U nix and we all_)
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 1997 09:24:42 +0100 (MET)

* Contents of the FAQ file for wu-ftpd. The complete file can be found at
http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html
Or, send mail to [email-masked] with as subject "send faq"
(without the quotes, body ignored).

    1. Contents of this FAQ
         1. [1]Contents of this FAQ
         2. [2]What is wu-ftpd itself and this mailing list in particular
            ?
              1. [3]How do I subscribe/unsubscribe ?
              2. [4]Is this list archived anywhere ?
              3. [5]What are related documents ?
         3. [6]Where do I get the wu-ftpd ?
              1. [7]Where do I get the updated version ?
         4. [8]Compiling the wu-ftpd
              1. [9]cc complains about strunames, typenames, modenames,
                 .. being undeclared.
              2. [10]wu-ftpd doesn't 'see' that users are in multiple
                 groups.
              3. [11]wu-ftpd doesn't use the shadow passwords on my Linux
                 machine.
              4. [12]It doesn't compile at all on newer Linux installs.
                 The error is :
              5. [13]I need to use S/KEY authorisation
              6. [14]I need to authenticate real users via AFS
              7. [15]The timezone in the xferlog is wrong
              8. [16]The timezone in the ls output is wrong
              9. [17]Digital Unix doesn't log commands after an anonymous
                 user logs in
             10. [18]install fails with 'install: ..'
             11. [19]Digital Unix (The Unix Formerly Known As OSF/1) and
                 Enhanced C2 security,
             12. [20]It doesn't compile at all on Digital Unix, errors
                 about struct timeval
             13. [21]What should I do to be able to use wu-ftpd in a
                 HP-UX 10.01
         5. [22]Installing the wu-ftpd
              1. [23]Command-line options for wu-ftpd
              2. [24]Testing on a different port number then ftp
         6. [25]The ftpaccess file
              1. [26]Some files (banners, etc) don't get shown to
                 anonymous users.
              2. [27]What is the exact format of the <times> parameter in
                 the "limit"
         7. [28]Programs (ls, gzip, tar) work for real users, not for
            anonymous users, giving errors like 425 Can't create data
            socket (0.0.0.0,20): Bad file number or simply no output.
              1. [29]Solaris
              2. [30]Building a statically linked ls for Solaris fails
              3. [31]Linux
              4. [32]Dec OSF
              5. [33]SunOS4.1.x
              6. [34]AIX
              7. [35]It worked, until I upgraded the operating system.
         8. [36]Running wu-ftpd
              1. [37]ftpd allways says "221 Server shutting down.
                 Goodbye."
              2. [38]Anonymous ftp works fine, but real users are denied
                 access
              3. [39]ftpconversions doesn't work
              4. [40]On-the-fly compression works, on-the-fly tarring,
                 but not both.
              5. [41]I want a real user to be able to access the host
                 only via ftp, not via telnet
              6. [42]Somebody uploaded a file with a weird name
              7. [43]I want anonymous users to be able to upload files,
                 but in the most secure manner possible
              8. [44]The default umask used when a real user uploads a
                 file is wrong
              9. [45]I heard something about 'SITE EXEC' having a
                 security hole
             10. [46]How do I make reports more readable ?
             11. [47]Incoming file transfers fail with SunOS and an NFS
                 mounted incoming
             12. [48]Normal ftp clients work, Netscape ftp's fail. So,
                 passive mode doesn't work.
             13. [49]I want to redirect anonymous users to another
                 machine
         9. [50]Other things
              1. [51]Where is the FTP protocol documented ?
              2. [52]How can I make my ftp-archive accessible by E-mail
                 (ftpmail) ?
        10. [53]Credits

References

   1. file://localhost/home/staff/koos/wu-ftpd-faq/wu-ftpd-faq.contents.html#QA0
   2. file://localhost/home/staff/koos/wu-ftpd-faq/wu-ftpd-faq.contents.html#QA1
   3. file://localhost/home/staff/koos/wu-ftpd-faq/wu-ftpd-faq.contents.html#QA2
   4. file://localhost/home/staff/koos/wu-ftpd-faq/wu-ftpd-faq.contents.html#QA3
   5. file://localhost/home/staff/koos/wu-ftpd-faq/wu-ftpd-faq.contents.html#QA4
   6. file://localhost/home/staff/koos/wu-ftpd-faq/wu-ftpd-faq.contents.html#QA5
   7. file://localhost/home/staff/koos/wu-ftpd-faq/wu-ftpd-faq.contents.html#QA6
   8. file://localhost/home/staff/koos/wu-ftpd-faq/wu-ftpd-faq.contents.html#QA7
   9. file://localhost/home/staff/koos/wu-ftpd-faq/wu-ftpd-faq.contents.html#QA8
  10. file://localhost/home/staff/koos/wu-ftpd-faq/wu-ftpd-faq.contents.html#QA9
  11. file://localhost/home/staff/koos/wu-ftpd-faq/wu-ftpd-faq.contents.html#QA10
  12. file://localhost/home/staff/koos/wu-ftpd-faq/wu-ftpd-faq.contents.html#QA11
  13. file://localhost/home/staff/koos/wu-ftpd-faq/wu-ftpd-faq.contents.html#QA12
  14. file://localhost/home/staff/koos/wu-ftpd-faq/wu-ftpd-faq.contents.html#QA13
  15. file://localhost/home/staff/koos/wu-ftpd-faq/wu-ftpd-faq.contents.html#QA14
  16. file://localhost/home/staff/koos/wu-ftpd-faq/wu-ftpd-faq.contents.html#QA15
  17. file://localhost/home/staff/koos/wu-ftpd-faq/wu-ftpd-faq.contents.html#QA16
  18. file://localhost/home/staff/koos/wu-ftpd-faq/wu-ftpd-faq.contents.html#QA17
  19. file://localhost/home/staff/koos/wu-ftpd-faq/wu-ftpd-faq.contents.html#QA18
  20. file://localhost/home/staff/koos/wu-ftpd-faq/wu-ftpd-faq.contents.html#QA19
  21. file://localhost/home/staff/koos/wu-ftpd-faq/wu-ftpd-faq.contents.html#QA20
  22. file://localhost/home/staff/koos/wu-ftpd-faq/wu-ftpd-faq.contents.html#QA21
  23. file://localhost/home/staff/koos/wu-ftpd-faq/wu-ftpd-faq.contents.html#QA22
  24. file://localhost/home/staff/koos/wu-ftpd-faq/wu-ftpd-faq.contents.html#QA23
  25. file://localhost/home/staff/koos/wu-ftpd-faq/wu-ftpd-faq.contents.html#QA24
  26. file://localhost/home/staff/koos/wu-ftpd-faq/wu-ftpd-faq.contents.html#QA25
  27. file://localhost/home/staff/koos/wu-ftpd-faq/wu-ftpd-faq.contents.html#QA26
  28. file://localhost/home/staff/koos/wu-ftpd-faq/wu-ftpd-faq.contents.html#QA27
  29. file://localhost/home/staff/koos/wu-ftpd-faq/wu-ftpd-faq.contents.html#QA28
  30. file://localhost/home/staff/koos/wu-ftpd-faq/wu-ftpd-faq.contents.html#QA29
  31. file://localhost/home/staff/koos/wu-ftpd-faq/wu-ftpd-faq.contents.html#QA30
  32. file://localhost/home/staff/koos/wu-ftpd-faq/wu-ftpd-faq.contents.html#QA31
  33. file://localhost/home/staff/koos/wu-ftpd-faq/wu-ftpd-faq.contents.html#QA32
  34. file://localhost/home/staff/koos/wu-ftpd-faq/wu-ftpd-faq.contents.html#QA33
  35. file://localhost/home/staff/koos/wu-ftpd-faq/wu-ftpd-faq.contents.html#QA34
  36. file://localhost/home/staff/koos/wu-ftpd-faq/wu-ftpd-faq.contents.html#QA35
  37. file://localhost/home/staff/koos/wu-ftpd-faq/wu-ftpd-faq.contents.html#QA36
  38. file://localhost/home/staff/koos/wu-ftpd-faq/wu-ftpd-faq.contents.html#QA37
  39. file://localhost/home/staff/koos/wu-ftpd-faq/wu-ftpd-faq.contents.html#QA38
  40. file://localhost/home/staff/koos/wu-ftpd-faq/wu-ftpd-faq.contents.html#QA39
  41. file://localhost/home/staff/koos/wu-ftpd-faq/wu-ftpd-faq.contents.html#QA40
  42. file://localhost/home/staff/koos/wu-ftpd-faq/wu-ftpd-faq.contents.html#QA42
  43. file://localhost/home/staff/koos/wu-ftpd-faq/wu-ftpd-faq.contents.html#QA43
  44. file://localhost/home/staff/koos/wu-ftpd-faq/wu-ftpd-faq.contents.html#QA44
  45. file://localhost/home/staff/koos/wu-ftpd-faq/wu-ftpd-faq.contents.html#QA45
  46. file://localhost/home/staff/koos/wu-ftpd-faq/wu-ftpd-faq.contents.html#QA46
  47. file://localhost/home/staff/koos/wu-ftpd-faq/wu-ftpd-faq.contents.html#QA47
  48. file://localhost/home/staff/koos/wu-ftpd-faq/wu-ftpd-faq.contents.html#QA48
  49. file://localhost/home/staff/koos/wu-ftpd-faq/wu-ftpd-faq.contents.html#QA49
  50. file://localhost/home/staff/koos/wu-ftpd-faq/wu-ftpd-faq.contents.html#QA50
  51. file://localhost/home/staff/koos/wu-ftpd-faq/wu-ftpd-faq.contents.html#QA51
  52. file://localhost/home/staff/koos/wu-ftpd-faq/wu-ftpd-faq.contents.html#QA52
  53. file://localhost/home/staff/koos/wu-ftpd-faq/wu-ftpd-faq.contents.html#QA53

---------------------------------------------------------------------------