Subject: RE: Static-ls

From: "Roger A. Hanke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 12:17:23 -0800

Jeff,
 I have been working with SGI folk several months trying to build a static
version of ls on IRIX 6.2 unsuccessfully. I am curious about your version
of a static ls that still requires shared libraries to be present? Or did I 
misread something?
	Thanx,	
	Roger Hanke
	[email-masked]

----------
From: 	Jeff Hanson[SMTP:[email-masked]]
Sent: 	Thursday, March 27, 1997 6:55 AM
To: 	[email-masked]
Subject: 	Re: Static-ls

Have you built a static ls from gnu?  It is much easier under IRIX to build
staticlly linked executables than under Solaris.  Use the -non_shared on the
compile and link line and you have to have installed the non shared libaries
which are in c_dev.sw.speclib and compiler_dev.sw.speclib and
dev.sw.irix_speclibs.

-- 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Jeff Hanson ([email-masked]) - Computing Wizard for HSSO
 NYMA, Inc., Senior Member of the Technical Staff
 NASA Lewis Research Center, MS 77-10, Cleveland, Ohio 44135
 Telephone - (216) 433-2284            Fax - (216) 433-3918

---

From: "Jeff Hanson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 12:59:22 -0500

Here is what I did to build static ls on SGI under 5.3.  The same should
work for 6.2 although I have not tried.

1. Using inst or swmgr, install the following products (assuming you have
   purchased IDO)

   c_dev.sw.speclib
   compiler_dev.sw.speclib
   dev.sw.irix_speclibs

   You need these to get the static (non shared) libraries in addition to
   the standard DSO (shared) libraries.

2. Get gnu fileutils from your favorite gnu site.

3. Modify the Makefiles after using configure (the lazy method) or figure out
   how to give configure the right CFLAG and LD directive which is

   -non_shared

   That is, you compile and link with -non_shared.  You'll then have a
   statically link executable for ls (and several other things as well).

We (ftp.lerc.nasa.gov) are using this under IRIX 5.3.  If you want to see what
I did with fileutils-3.12 get the following file

ftp://ftp.lerc.nasa.gov/users/tohanson/fileutils-3.12.static.tar.gz