Subject: welcome mesg for anon ftp

From: Faisal Hameed <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 1997 02:01:20 -0500 (EST)

I have tried to put the welcome.msg file in ~ftp. ~ftp/etc but
anon ftp does not display the welcome message. I have
the ftp server running on solaris 2.5. Also it would
be nice to have a message that displays the contents
of the directory whenever anon ftp user cd's to it.

Any help is appreciated.

Faisal ...

---

From: Trent <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 1997 01:23:19 -0600 (CST)

The man page for "ftpwho" says that the program isn't very useful unless
the server is compiled with set-proctitle.  I have looked through the
source and can't find where it's commented out or something.  Where am I
suposed to set it?  Also, what is the format for the ftpwho output?  I
mean, what are all the columns?  Thanks.

---

From: Mark Galbraith <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 1997 11:31:22 -0800 (PST)

>>>>> "Faisal" == Faisal Hameed <[email-masked]> writes:

Faisal> I have tried to put the welcome.msg file in ~ftp. ~ftp/etc but
Faisal> anon ftp does not display the welcome message. I have
Faisal> the ftp server running on solaris 2.5. Also it would
Faisal> be nice to have a message that displays the contents
Faisal> of the directory whenever anon ftp user cd's to it.

For anon ftp, the path you specify in the ftpaccess file must be
relative to the base of the FTP area.  For example, if your /etc/passwd
file contains:

    ftp:x:xxx:yyy:Anonymous FTP user:/export/ftp:/usr/local/bin/nologin

and your ftpaccess file contains:

    message /welcome.msg              login

The the welcome message will come from the file:

    /export/ftp/welcome.msg

as seen from the un-chroot'd filesystem.

You should also read the ftpaccess(5) man page for more information
about making sure that anonymous users are properly handled.  There is
also a FAQ on how to make Guest users work.

-- 
Mark Galbraith                   Member of The HTML Writers Guild
Engineer, Internet Services	              http://www.hwg.org/
Triad Systems Corporation
(PGP Fingerprint=1CB9 7481 AD5C 5709  690B AC09 7F65 D6F6)