Subject: nodirs and the entire server

From: Karl Hubner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 18:52:26 -0500

In my never-ending quest for the perfect ftp setup I added some info to
my ftpaccess file and was surprised at the results.
Originally a couple of lines looked like this:
upload  /usr/people/ftp *               no
upload  /usr/people/ftp /pub            yes     other   employee       
0664    nodirs

After seeing the recent postings on security and nodirs I added a
"nodirs" to the top line thus:
upload  /usr/people/ftp *               no		other	employee		0664	nodirs
upload  /usr/people/ftp /pub            yes     other   employee       
0664    nodirs
thinking that something looking like a little redundancy couldn't hurt.
It seems that the addition turned on nodirs from / on down (except when
explicitly stated otherwise). It made some real users a little upset.
I was under the impression that the structure of the line whent:
upload  <root-dir>  <dirglob>
and that the glob was relative to the root-dir. I tried "/*" and "./*",
but that didn't seem to have any noticeable effects. Has anyone
encountered this behavior. I have been on this list for quite some time
and don't remember seeing this one, but if it has been discussed please
ignore my ignorance.

karl