Subject: Working: "dir" for Solaris 2.5.x

From: Paradise Cowgirl <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 1997 09:02:48 -0800 (PST)

I got "dir" working with a dynamic version of "ls" late last week. I had
two problems:

I'm guessing that the symbolic link for ~ftp/usr/lib->~ftp/lib was
a no-no and then when I started from scratch at one point :-), I missed
libmp.so

Here's what works for me:

./                 libdl.so.1*        libsocket.so*      nss_nis.so.1* 
../                libintl.so*        libsocket.so.1*    nss_nisplus.so.1* 
ld.so*             libintl.so.1*      libw.so*           straddr.so* 
ld.so.1*           libmp.so*          libw.so.1*         straddr.so.2* 
libc.so*           libmp.so.1*        locale/ 
libc.so.1*         libnsl.so*         nss_dns.so.1* 
libdl.so*          libnsl.so.1*       nss_files.so.1* 

I haven't found the need for "zoneinfo" - the correct files in "locale"
seem to cover the date/time stamp issues.

I'm in the middle of documenting this and other Solaris tidbits for both
my client and for the wu-ftpd users at large; keep an eye out on the list
for an announcement :-)

I want to thank everyone who helped me with this problem! There are some
very helpful people on this list!

I'm still interested in being able to compile a static version of "ls"
for Solaris (so that I can document it) and a working patch for mkdir,
so please, keep me posted either directly or through the mailing list.

All of this is for beta 11; I'll be testing beta 12 soon (sigh :-)

Cheers,
Darci Chapman ([email-masked])
--
            "the days run away like horses over the hills"
	               To the motion be true.

"I heard a singer on the radio last night
Says he's gonna kick the darkness till it bleeds daylight"

---

From: Yanni <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 1997 10:24:42 -0800

> my client and for the wu-ftpd users at large; keep an eye out on the 
list 

What is to document?

This info is in the solaris man page for ftpd...(man ftpd)

    ~ftp/usr/lib
                 Make this directory owned by the super-user  and
                 unwritable by anyone.  Copy the following shared
                 libraries from /usr/lib into this directory.:

                 ld.so*
                 libc.so*
                 libdl.so*
                 libintl.so*
                 libw.so*
                 libnsl.so*
                 libsocket.so*
                 nss_nis.so*
                 nss_nisplus.so*
                 nss_dns.so*
                 nss_files.so*
                 straddr.so*

     cp /usr/lib/ld.so /usr/lib/ld.so.1 ${ftphome}/usr/lib

     for lib in libc libdl libintl libw libnsl libsocket \
        nss_nis nss_nisplus nss_dns nss_files
     do
        cp /usr/lib/${lib}.so.1 ${ftphome}/usr/lib
        rm -f ${ftphome}/usr/lib/${lib}.so
        ln -s ./${lib}.so.1 ${ftphome}/usr/lib/${lib}.so
     done
     cp /usr/lib/straddr.so.2 ${ftphome}/usr/lib
     rm -f ${ftphome}/usr/lib/straddr.so

     ln -s ./straddr.so.2 ${ftphome}/usr/lib/straddr.so

I hope that helps,

-jon

Jon (no h) S. Stevens     [email-masked]
ClearInk WebMagus         http://www.clearink.com/
finger [email-masked] for pgp pub key
ClearlyHome - MultiHoming for Mac WebServers
http://www.clearink.com/fun_stuff/plugins/
The Internet Weather Report
http://www.internetweather.com/
Jobs! - http://www.clearink.com/

---

From: Paradise Cowgirl <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 1997 10:39:59 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 5 Feb 1997, Yanni wrote:

> [snip!]

The list above did not work for me. Go figure. The list I posted did.
That and the fact that other people have reported the same problem
that I did even after following the instructions on the man page.
Specifically, I needed a copy of libmp.so before the user/group names
would show up correctly. I'm also gathering up other Solaris 2.5.x related 
into (ie, the recent discussion regarding the needed /etc/syslog.conf
entries to get logging fully enabled).

Cheers,

---

From: Yanni <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 1997 11:02:50 -0800

> That and the fact that other people have reported the same problem 
that I 
> did even after following the instructions on the man page.

right, but if you had looked at the script that i posted (that is also 
in the man page) you would have noticed the ln -s of the .so files to 
the .1 files....that is the key part to making it work...

> Specifically, 
> I needed a copy of libmp.so before the user/group names would show up 
> correctly.

oh...now i learned something...;)

> I'm also gathering up other Solaris 2.5.x related into (ie, 
> the recent discussion regarding the needed /etc/syslog.conf entries to 
> get logging fully enabled). 

great! i'm sure that it would provide a valuable resource, except, you 
should just submit that info to the FAQ page owner so that people do not 
have to go around to yet another different place looking for the 
information that should just belong in the faq...

thanks!

-jon

---

From: Jim Showalter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 1997 14:22:10 -0500 (EST)

That's what the man page says.  However, I could not get mine
to work unless I added libmp.so* which was not in the map page.

Jim

---

From: Mark Galbraith <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 1997 12:11:56 -0800 (PST)

>>>>> "Paradise" == Paradise Cowgirl <[email-masked]> writes:

Paradise> The list above did not work for me. Go figure. The list I
Paradise> posted did.  That and the fact that other people have reported
Paradise> the same problem that I did even after following the
Paradise> instructions on the man page.  Specifically, I needed a copy
Paradise> of libmp.so before the user/group names would show up
Paradise> correctly. I'm also gathering up other Solaris 2.5.x related
Paradise> into (ie, the recent discussion regarding the needed
Paradise> /etc/syslog.conf entries to get logging fully enabled).

One difference I can see, is that I'm running Solaris 2.4.  Another
might be that for the FTP area, I'm using the 'ls' command supplied with
Solaris.  I don't use the GNU version in ~ftp/bin.  Could those account
for the fact that my ~ftp/bin/ls shows user/group names, and your's
doesn't without libmp.so?

-- 
Mark Galbraith                   Member of The HTML Writers Guild
Engineer, Internet Services	              http://www.hwg.org/
Triad Systems Corporation
(PGP Fingerprint=1CB9 7481 AD5C 5709  690B AC09 7F65 D6F6)

---

From: Paradise Cowgirl <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 1997 12:36:29 -0800 (PST)

> doesn't without libmp.so?

I'm using the dynamically linked "ls" that comes with Solaris 2.5.1 so
I think something must have changed between 2.4 and 2.5 :-)

I have not been able to successfully compile a static version of the GNU
ls on Solaris (with or without Emil's static-ls patch; I emailed him
copies of both outputs from my patch and compile/link attempts.)

Cheers,

---

From: Bob Luckin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 97 14:49:13 CST

Re Solaris 2 libraries...
> >                  libraries from /usr/lib into this directory.:

And Darci replied :-
> entries to get logging fully enabled).

There's something strange going on here.  Yanni's (Sun's) list works fine for
me; I don't need libmp.so to get the names displayed.  But Darci also said
she found she didn't need the zoneinfo stuff to get the times to display
correctly for anonymous users, whereas I do...

Darci, when you put the documentation together (which I'm sure will be
much appreciated by future Solaris users), can you mention that different
peoples' mileage seems to vary ?

Cheers, Bob

---

From: Mark Whetzel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 1997 15:07:28 -0600 (CST)

> peoples' mileage seems to vary ?

Humm... forgive me jumping in here, but I wonder if these different problems 
may be specific to a processor type and/or patch level of the given systems.

I.E.. Yanni might have some combination of SUN jumbo patches that
Darci does not completely have, or some other odd mixture.

Or some extra portions of the kernel/system are excersised by different
combinations of hardware?

-- 
Mark Whetzel     My comments are my own, not my company's.
Western Geophysical - A division of Western Atlas International Inc.,
A Subsidary of Western Atlas Inc.  addr: [email-masked]
VOICE: (713) 963-2544              FAX: (713) 963-2758

---

From: Yanni <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 1997 13:35:28 -0800

On Wed, Feb 5, 1997 at 1:07:28 PM, Mark Whetzel <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I.E.. Yanni might have some combination of SUN jumbo patches that Darci 
> does not completely have, or some other odd mixture. 

Nope...I have a straight copy of b12.

Strange thing on my end is that now I can't get logging to work at all 
but ls, dir, all works fine after I added the libma.so. I'm trying to 
use the -ladvL method of command line options with inetd.conf since sun 
has that limitation and my syslog.conf file is configured correctly.

-jon

---

From: Yanni <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 1997 13:58:55 -0800

> > I.E.. Yanni might have some combination of SUN jumbo patches that 
Darci 
> Nope...I have a straight copy of b12. 

doh! I totally didn't read that right...sorry...

FYI, the patches that I have on the machine are the recommended solaris 
2.5.1 ones as of up to a couple days ago.

-jon

---

From: Paradise Cowgirl <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 1997 14:18:43 -0800 (PST)

The Solaris 2.5.1 box says:

showrev -p:
Patch: 102580-13  Obsoletes:   Packages: SUNWmd.2 4.0,REV=1.0,PATCH=13, 
	SUNWmdg. 2 4.0,REV=1.0,PATCH=13 
Patch: 103663-01  Obsoletes:   Packages: SUNWcsu, SUNWhea 
Patch: 103594-03  Obsoletes: , Requires:, 103663-01  Packages: SUNWcsu 
Patch: 103630-01  Obsoletes:   Packages: SUNWcsu, SUNWcsr 
Patch: 103680-01  Obsoletes: , Requires:, 103663-01  Packages: SUNWcsu 
Patch: 103683-01  Obsoletes: , Requires:, 103663-01  Packages: SUNWcsu 
Patch: 103817-01  Obsoletes:   Packages: SUNWcsu 
Patch: 103582-01  Obsoletes:   Packages: SUNWcsr 
Patch: 103640-02  Obsoletes:   Packages: SUNWcsr, SUNWcar 
Patch: 103743-01  Obsoletes: , Requires:, 103663-01  Packages: SUNWfns 
Patch: 103686-01  Obsoletes: , Requires:, 103663-01  Packages: SUNWnisu 

and whatami says (in part):

    MODEL: SUNW,Ultra-2 
      CPU: SUNW,UltraSPARC 

I'm running wu-ftpd 2.4.2 beta11

Are we really down to patch level comparisons? What fun! :-)

Cheers,

---

From: Bob Luckin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 97 16:45:31 CST

Mark Whetzel said :-

> combinations of hardware?

I had been thinking about this, too.  My system, which works with the
standard libraries as recommended in Sun's man page, is as follows :-

% uname -sipmrv
SunOS 5.5 Generic sun4m sparc SUNW,SPARCstation-5

% showrev -p
No patches are installed

But I also wondered if we might be using different versions of ls, so I
checked - and I just discovered that the ls I have installed under
~ftp/bin was copied from /usr/ucb/ls, and not from /bin/ls as I had
previously thought.  showrev -c and ldd show the library information
for this version as :-
        libc.so.1 =>     /usr/lib/libc.so.1
        libdl.so.1 =>    /usr/lib/libdl.so.1
while for the version under /bin/ls they show :-
        libw.so.1 =>     /usr/lib/libw.so.1
        libintl.so.1 =>  /usr/lib/libintl.so.1
        libc.so.1 =>     /usr/lib/libc.so.1
        libdl.so.1 =>    /usr/lib/libdl.so.1

So I'm betting that this could be the difference.  Perhaps Darci could try
using putting this version of ls in ~ftp/bin and see if the extra library
is still required...

It'd be good to get this mystery solved at last !

Cheers, Bob
-- 
Bob Luckin      [email-masked]      "Rats live on no evil planet"

---

From: Jim Davis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 1997 17:11:01 -0700 (MST)

Looking up group entries (for instance) goes through the name service
switch, so that involves /usr/lib/nss_*.so.1.  If you do an ldd on, say,
/usr/lib/nss_files.so.1 on a 2.5.1 system, you'll see it has a dependency
on /usr/lib/libmp.so.1.  On a 2.5 system however, /usr/lib/nss_files.so.1
doesn't have that dependency. 

Evidently when that change was introduced in 2.5.1, no one at Sun thought
to update the ftpd man page to reflect that new dependency.

---

From: Bob Luckin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 97 20:20:00 CST

Jim Davis said :-
> to update the ftpd man page to reflect that new dependency. 

Having suggested the difference in behaviour might be caused by my use of
/usr/ucb/ls instead of /bin/ls, I had then tested both and found no
difference (in terms of evaluating the names), so I had gone back
to being puzzled.  This explanation clears up the mystery - thanks...

This should mean that libmp.so.1 is required only for 2.5.1 or later
(just summarising for Darci's documentation  :-)  ).

Cheers, Bob
-- 
Bob Luckin      [email-masked]      "Able was I ere I saw Waterloo"

---

From: Vidiot <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 11:31:47 -0600 (CST)

<Re Solaris 2 libraries...
<> On Wed, 5 Feb 1997, Yanni wrote:
<> >     ~ftp/usr/lib
<> >                  Make this directory owned by the super-user  and
<> >                  unwritable by anyone.  Copy the following shared
<> >                  libraries from /usr/lib into this directory.:
<> > 
<> >                  ld.so*
<> >                  libc.so*
<> >                  libdl.so*
<> >                  libintl.so*
<> >                  libw.so*
<> >                  libnsl.so*
<> >                  libsocket.so*
<> >                  nss_nis.so*
<> >                  nss_nisplus.so*
<> >                  nss_dns.so*
<> >                  nss_files.so*
<> >                  straddr.so*
<> > 
<> > [snip!]
<
<And Darci replied :-
<> The list above did not work for me. Go figure. The list I posted did.
<> That and the fact that other people have reported the same problem
<> that I did even after following the instructions on the man page.
<> Specifically, I needed a copy of libmp.so before the user/group names
<> would show up correctly. I'm also gathering up other Solaris 2.5.x related 
<> into (ie, the recent discussion regarding the needed /etc/syslog.conf
<> entries to get logging fully enabled).
<
<There's something strange going on here.  Yanni's (Sun's) list works fine for
<me; I don't need libmp.so to get the names displayed.  But Darci also said
<she found she didn't need the zoneinfo stuff to get the times to display
<correctly for anonymous users, whereas I do...
<
<Darci, when you put the documentation together (which I'm sure will be
<much appreciated by future Solaris users), can you mention that different
<peoples' mileage seems to vary ?
<
<Cheers, Bob

I'll say something is strange.  None of the above works for me.  I do a dir
and get:

	ftp ftms
	Connected to ftms.
	220 ftms FTP server (Version wu-2.4.2-academ[BETA-12](1) Wed Jan 22 10:00:49 CST 1997) ready.
	Name (ftms:brown): anonymous
	331 Guest login ok, send your complete e-mail address as password.
	Password:
	230-
	230-Welcome to the Finnigan FT/MS Anonymous FTP file server.
	230-
	230-Date: Fri Feb 14 11:26:53 1997
	230-You are caller number 1 of a possible -1 callers.
	230-
	230-
	230 Guest login ok, access restrictions apply.
	ftp> dir
	200 PORT command successful.
	150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for /bin/ls.
	226 Transfer complete.

~ftp/usr/lib contains:

total 1642
dr-xr-xr-x   2 root         1024 Feb 14 11:26 .
dr-xr-xr-x   4 root          512 Feb  3 05:28 ..
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root        24576 Feb 14 11:26 ld.so
-rwxr-xr-x   1 bin        137160 Feb 14 11:26 ld.so.1
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root           11 Feb 14 11:26 libc.so -> ./libc.so.1
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root       662764 Feb 14 11:26 libc.so.1
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root           12 Feb 14 11:26 libdl.so -> ./libdl.so.1
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root         2564 Feb 14 11:26 libdl.so.1
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root           14 Feb 14 11:26 libintl.so -> ./libintl.so.1
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root        15720 Feb 14 11:26 libintl.so.1
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root           12 Feb 14 11:26 libmp.so -> ./libmp.so.1
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root        15720 Feb 14 11:26 libmp.so.1
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root           13 Feb 14 11:26 libnsl.so -> ./libnsl.so.1
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root       566700 Feb 14 11:26 libnsl.so.1
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root           16 Feb 14 11:26 libsocket.so -> ./libsocket.so.1
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root        68780 Feb 14 11:26 libsocket.so.1
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root           11 Feb 14 11:26 libw.so -> ./libw.so.1
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root        39932 Feb 14 11:26 libw.so.1
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root           14 Feb 14 11:26 nss_dns.so -> ./nss_dns.so.1
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root         9332 Feb 14 11:26 nss_dns.so.1
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root           16 Feb 14 11:26 nss_files.so -> ./nss_files.so.1
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root        21144 Feb 14 11:26 nss_files.so.1
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root           14 Feb 14 11:26 nss_nis.so -> ./nss_nis.so.1
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root        24404 Feb 14 11:26 nss_nis.so.1
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root           18 Feb 14 11:26 nss_nisplus.so -> ./nss_nisplus.so.1
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root        28844 Feb 14 11:26 nss_nisplus.so.1
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root           14 Feb 14 11:26 straddr.so -> ./straddr.so.2
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root         9312 Feb 14 11:26 straddr.so.2

I am definately confused.

MB
-- 
System Administrator - Finnigan FT/MS - Madison WI. <URL:http://www.ftms.com/>
e-mail: [email-masked]
phone: (608) 273-8262 ext: 612  fax: (608) 273-8719
Visit - <URL:http://www.cdsnet.net/vidiot/>  (Your link to Star Trek and UPN)