Subject: cannot create data socket

From: "Burkhard Greeb" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 18:55:12 +0100

Hi,

I just set up wu-ftpd and after playing around with some access
restrictions I got it to accept/reject users as I want it to, but now I get
following error when submitting commands like "ls" or "get xy", with xy
being an existing file:

425 Can't create data socket (0.0.0.0,20): Bad file number.

What does that mean?
It must have to do with the access restrictions, since it only happens to
guest-users. To debug it a little bit further, I took a real (none-root)
user and it worked. Then I gave him the chroot-home dir (/home/./bg) and it
worked, too. Finally, I put him into a guest group, which caused the error
to occur.

regards 
Burkhard Greeb

Internet Activity GmbH & Co. KG     Tel. +49 2774-912078  
Fellerdillnerstr. 32                Fax +49 2773-912079
35708 Haiger / Germany           
[email-masked], http://www.iag-net.de

---

From: [email-masked] (Bill Campbell)
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 10:27:17 -0800 (PST)

>425 Can't create data socket (0.0.0.0,20): Bad file number.

Funny you should mention this as I just went through this little goody
earlier this week.  The permissions of ~ftp/dev were wrong so that the
chroot'ed program couldn't open /dev/socksys (on an SCO system).

Bill
--
INTERNET:   [email-masked]  Bill Campbell; Celestial Systems, Inc.
UUCP:               camco!bill  PO Box 820; 2835 82nd Avenue S.E. S-100
FAX:            (206) 232-9186  Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820; (206) 236-1676
URL: http://www.celestial.com/

Government spending?  I don't know what it's all about.  I don't know
any more about this thing than an economist does, and, God knows, he
doesn't know much.
		-- Will Rogers