Subject: Re: chroot for individual user

From: Mark Galbraith <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 1997 08:36:06 -0800 (PST)

>>>>> "Swee-Chuan" == Swee-Chuan Khoo <[email-masked]> writes:

Swee-Chuan> Now i am trying to see is there possible to chroot for each
Swee-Chuan> user in wuftpd 2.4 so that they can't look at others
Swee-Chuan> people's web page directory and downloading it.

Yes.  This can be done, but you will have to complete the setup for
anonymous FTP for each web area.  That is, each client's web page area
will require the /bin, /etc, and /dev directories with the setup files
as described in the manual pages for anonymous FTP.

This being done, you set the home directory for the user to be the
actual location of their FTP area.  For example, if your client's files
are located at /usr/local/httpdocs/client1, then the home directory for
that user would be: '/usr/local/httpdocs/client1/./'.  The extra stuff
at the end of that path causes WU-FTP to chroot() to the path on the left
side of that marker, and the chdir() to the path on the right, in this
case null, or '/'.

-- 
Mark Galbraith                   Member of The HTML Writers Guild
Engineer, Internet Services	              http://www.hwg.org/
Triad Systems Corporation
(PGP Fingerprint=1CB9 7481 AD5C 5709  690B AC09 7F65 D6F6)

---

From: Chris Auron <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 97 12:27:47 MST

I also am having the same problem. I tried to do a link from their
directory but the chroot will not follow a link.

Let me know if you come up with something

--- On Thu, 30 Jan 1997 10:57:55 +0800 (SGT)  Swee-Chuan Khoo <[email-masked]> wrote:

>hi,
>
>	I am in the process of setting up a web page upload machine for
>my web client to upload their homepage without actually ftp to the web
>machine. I am using NFS mount.
>
>	Now i am trying to see is there possible to chroot for each 
>user in wuftpd 2.4 so that they can't look at others people's web
>page directory and downloading it. 
>
>	I have went thro the faq, unfortunately i am having problem
>look at the archive of this list. So, if there is any solutiuon, 
>please email me, Thanx.
>
>rgds,
>sc khoo
>
>

-----------------End of Original Message-----------------

---------------------------------------
   _____  ___________   ______  _______
  / __/ |/_/_  __/ _ \ / __/  |/  / __/
 / _/_>  <  / / / _, // _// /|_/ / _/
/___/_/|_| /_/ /_/ |_/___/_/  /_/___/

Chris Auron
[email-masked]

Extreme Communications            602-368-4638 Voice
8655 E. Via De Ventura G181       602-368-4637 Fax
Scottsdale AZ 85258

Your perception is our reality:

This is our promise;
At Extreme your perception of service
becomes the reality we must meet and exceed.
-------------------------------------