Subject: Re: wu-ftpd-2.4 CPP Variable NCARGS ?

From: Scott Jacobs <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 1997 18:02:41 -0500

At 04:27 PM 2/6/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Hello folks,
>
>  My IRIX 6.2 compiler is balking at the C preprocessor variable NCARGS.
>Some recursive finding in my WU source code directory and the
>/usr/include directory with "find . -name \* -exec grep NCARGS {} \;
>-print" reveals that this variable is undefined.  What should this
>variable be set to ?
>
>Bye,
>--  
>
><[email-masked]>

Hi.  It sounds like you've got the vanilla 2.4 distribution.  I tried to
get that running on my Irix 5.3 machine and ran into the NCARGS problem.
Searching for ncargs in the Online books pointed me to the file

	/var/sysgen/mtune/kernel

This is a text file that specifies the values on ncargs on your machine.
After defining NCARGS based on this value, I was able to get wu-ftpd to
compile. (I may have had to make some other changes that I don't currently
recall.)
When I decided to use the academ beta 12 version instead, though, I did not
need to mess around with ncargs or any other mods to get the program to
compile. ./build sgi worked straight out of the box (tar file)

scott

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
scott jacobs                                             Interactive Magic
network administrator                       Strategy and Simulation Gaming
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Scott Holben <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 1997 19:46:09 -0500

> compile. ./build sgi worked straight out of the box (tar file)

Scott (JACOBS), thanks for the warm tip.  The following are important
tweeks that I noted to get the wu-ftpd-2.4 to compile on IRIX6.2.

  For IRIX 6.2 things are a little different than IRIX 5.2.  The maximum
number of arguments that can be passed to a routine can be configured on
the fly with the "systune" command.  As root, you can find the setting
of the NCARGS variable by performing a "systune | grep ncargs".  I
believe the IRIX 6.2 default is 20480 or 0X5000.  After having found
what NCARGS should be on my machine, I put a hack into the top of the
glob.c file, "#define NCARGS (20480)".  This wasn't pretty, but I am too
short on time to research for any kernel system inquiry routines. 

  I also has to tweek the Makefile, by adding a "-cckr" to the CFLAGS,
to hush the compiler complaints about file ftpd.c on the three lines
containing "va_start(ap)" macros.

  The last tweek was to set LIBC to nothing in the Makefile.  It was
originally set to "/usr/lib/libc.a".
  
   The code compiles.  Tomorrow we will see if it works !

Bye,
-- 

<[email-masked]>

Scott Holben
Tarkenton Net Ventures
2221 Newmarket Parkway
Suite 108
Marietta, GA 30067

TEL: (770)-303-0800-x108
FAX: (770)-303-0900