Subject: ftpaccess

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 00:10:34 -0500

does anyone know why under redhat4.1 on an intel machine, real users 
are not allowed to login.  the shells file is ok and ftp* are all ok.
i have done a fresh install and tryed to ftp in without modifications and as a real user i am denied access.
this is a problem that i have seen with alot of people so is it a program error or just users error?
thanks for any help

---

From: [email-masked] (Koos van den Hout _U nix and we all_)
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 09:00:44 +0100 (MET)

> are not allowed to login.  the shells file is ok and ftp* are all ok.

Do you use shadow passwords by any chance ?

wu-ftpd doesn't use shadow passwords by default.

					   Grtx KH

-- 
  Koos van den Hout,     Internetter, Unix freak, ISFJ and BBS SysOp at large
  [email-masked] (Work)  <-- finger -l for PGPkey      Fax: +31-30-2586290
  [email-masked] (Home)                      Workphone: +31-30-2586287
  http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/   Looking for a license plate with "RFC 822"