Subject: IRIX 5.3 Problems with installation script

From: "Luc Lalonde" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 15:00:47 -0500

Hello all,

I'm having problems using the install script on IRIX 5.3.  I had no
problems building the binaries but when it comes time to install them I get
a lot of errors.  It seems to be complaining that I'm not the
super-user...but I'm clearly logged on as root.  Here is an output of the
errors.  I hope that it is not too big ;-)

*****************************
make args are : 
make opts are : 
mv -f /etc/ftpd /etc/ftpd-old
installing binaries.
../util/install -c -o bin -g bin -m 755 bin/ftpd /etc/ftpd
Illegal option -- u
usage: id [-aM]
install: -o: must be superuser to change owner
../util/install -c -o bin -g bin -m 755 bin/ftpshut /etc/ftpshut
Illegal option -- u
usage: id [-aM]
install: -o: must be superuser to change owner
../util/install -c -o bin -g bin -m 755 bin/ftpcount /etc/ftpcount
Illegal option -- u
usage: id [-aM]
install: -o: must be superuser to change owner
../util/install -c -o bin -g bin -m 755 bin/ftpwho /etc/ftpwho
Illegal option -- u
usage: id [-aM]
install: -o: must be superuser to change owner
installing manpages.
../util/install -c -o bin -g bin -m 755 doc/ftpd.8
/usr/local/man/man8/ftpd.8
Illegal option -- u
usage: id [-aM]
install: -o: must be superuser to change owner
../util/install -c -o bin -g bin -m 755 doc/ftpcount.1
/usr/local/man/man1/ftpcount.1
Illegal option -- u
usage: id [-aM]
install: -o: must be superuser to change owner
../util/install -c -o bin -g bin -m 755 doc/ftpwho.1
/usr/local/man/man1/ftpwho.1
Illegal option -- u
usage: id [-aM]
install: -o: must be superuser to change owner
../util/install -c -o bin -g bin -m 755 doc/ftpshut.8
/usr/local/man/man8/ftpshut.8
Illegal option -- u
usage: id [-aM]
install: -o: must be superuser to change owner
../util/install -c -o bin -g bin -m 755 doc/ftpaccess.5
/usr/local/man/man5/ftpaccess.5
Illegal option -- u
usage: id [-aM]
install: -o: must be superuser to change owner
../util/install -c -o bin -g bin -m 755 doc/ftphosts.5
/usr/local/man/man5/ftphosts.5
Illegal option -- u
usage: id [-aM]
install: -o: must be superuser to change owner
../util/install -c -o bin -g bin -m 755 doc/ftpconversions.5
/usr/local/man/man5/ftpconversions.5
Illegal option -- u
usage: id [-aM]
install: -o: must be superuser to change owner
../util/install -c -o bin -g bin -m 755 doc/xferlog.5
/usr/local/man/man5/xferlog.5
Illegal option -- u
usage: id [-aM]
install: -o: must be superuser to change owner
*****************************

Thanks in advance to any who might be able to get me out of this fix.

Cheers, Luc Lalonde.

---

From: furio ercolessi <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 0:27:55 MET

> [...]

The 'id' command of IRIX is different from the one used to write
the util/install script.
What I did was just commenting out a few lines:
               #if [ "`id -un`" != "root" ]
               #then
               #       Warning "-o: must be superuser to change owner"
               #else
                       chown ${OWNER} ${TARGET}
               #fi
If you do this, the error message disappears :-)

furio
--
furio ercolessi
Spin Internet Service
Trieste (Italy)

---

From: [email-masked] (Chris Brown)
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 18:41:12 -0800 (PST)

> > install: -o: must be superuser to change owner

This is unneccesary.  Use /usr/bin/X11/bsdinst rather than install on IRIX.
This will cause install to behave like non IRIX installs.