Subject: Hanging ftpd processes

From: Walker Terry <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 11:52:47 -0500

We are running wu-ftpd 2.4 on Solaris 2.5.1 and noticing that even after
users logout their ftpd processes remain. We have noticed that memory
and swap get maxed out eventually. Has anyone else seen this problem?
Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.
----------------------------------================*================-----
------------------------------
Terry Walker                                            email:
[email-masked]
Systems Administrator                          www:
http://techweb.cmp.com	
CMP Media Incorporated                     voice:    (516) 562-5754
600 Community Drive                             fax:          (516)
562-7488
Manhasset, N.Y. 11030    "After all is said and done, there is nothing
left to say or do."

---

From: [email-masked] (Chris Brown)
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 09:22:10 -0800 (PST)

> Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

On Solaris and IRIX, versions of wuftpd prior to the timeout fix/hack will
not disconnect until the client tells them to.  The only solution right now
is to use a beta (beta 12 is what I use on IRIX and it works fine...  when I
ran 2.4(6) I would regularly get 3 to 400 connections, less than 50 of them
real active connections.)

Chris...

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 11:24:54 -0600 (CST)

Try the beta 12 release.  Should help.

   -- Michael

> Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

This is the location for the latest wu-ftpd.  You can't see the
directory contents, but get the file anyway.  It's there.

ftp://ftp.academ.com/pub/wu-ftpd/private/wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-12.tar.Z

wu-ftpd FAQ:  http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html
              OR
              send mail to [email-masked]
              with a subject line: send faq

guest howto:  ftp://ftp.fni.com/pub/wu-ftpd/guest-howto
              OR
              send mail to "[email-masked]"
              (immediate autoresponder; subject does not matter)

wu-ftpd list archive:  http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/mail-archive/

There are additional security references in the above docs.

---

From: Kent Landfield <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 11:36:30 -0600 (CST)

# > We are running wu-ftpd 2.4 on Solaris 2.5.1 and noticing that even after
# > users logout their ftpd processes remain. We have noticed that memory
# > and swap get maxed out eventually. Has anyone else seen this problem?
# > Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.
# 
# On Solaris and IRIX, versions of wuftpd prior to the timeout fix/hack will
# not disconnect until the client tells them to.  The only solution right now
# is to use a beta (beta 12 is what I use on IRIX and it works fine...  when I
# ran 2.4(6) I would regularly get 3 to 400 connections, less than 50 of them
# real active connections.)

I'll second that. I run it on Solaris 2.5.1 and have no more problems
with hanging sessions.  Works great. (Thanks Stan.)

-- 
Kent Landfield                        Phone: 1-817-545-2502             
The Landfield Group                   FAX:   1-817-545-7650             
Email: [email-masked]             http://www.landfield.com/
Please send comp.sources.misc related mail to [email-masked].
Search the Usenet Hypertext FAQ Archive at http://www.landfield.com/faqs/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 13:43:00 -0500 (EST)

Howdy folks,
I have two questions about the hanging processes. I am currently
running the 2.4 version and have made modifications. Is there a fix
for the hanging procs that I can incorporate into 2.4 without going
to 2.4 B12? Second, earlier I had seen questions about writing a
simple script to kill of hanging procs. Is that a viable solution?

thanks for any help

Doug

-- 
Doug Courtney
[email-masked]
(908)949-3597

---

From: Donald Ball <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 14:54:24 -0500 (EST)

We're having a similiar problem running beta12 on Solaris 2.5.1. Typically
there are 50-200 ftpd processes that are hung trying to write something.

For instace, we've got process 22512. It's been hanging around since 23:41
yesterday. Trussing the processes reveals the following:

write(12, " aD2 ( w  809490 M $E9 h".., 16384) (sleeping...)

Intuitively speaking, it seems that processes aren't dying properly when
their clients disappear. Killing these processes with SIGPIPE works fine
though. Clues would be great.

- donald