Subject: ftpgroups

From: Sheryl Chapin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 1997 13:53:23 -0600

Hi all,

Thanks to everyones help, I have wu-ftpd beta 12 installed on my solaris
2.5.1 system.  I am currently running it without the -a option since I am
trying to figure out the ftpaccess file.  I have the man page, plus the
O'Reilly book "Managing Internet Information Services" (is that out of
date?) plus the guest accounts post that was posted on the list recently.

>From all of that, I gather that if I create a group in the /etc/group file
and then reference it in the guestgroup line of the ftpaccess, anyone I put
in that group will have restricted access (depending on where the /./ is in
the path).  So my assumtion is that I can create one group, have various
people in it, each with their own private ftp area, is that right?

However, what I don't know is where the ftpgroup file comes in. There is no
man page for it, it is not mentioned in the book, yet there is an example of
it under doc/examples, what is it's function?

As always, thanks for any and all help

Sheryl Chapin
eWorks! Inc.
612.288.0000
[email-masked]

---

From: Alain Magloire <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 1997 19:00:21 -0500 (EST)

> it under doc/examples, what is it's function?

yes, I have to agree wu-ftpd have a very loose definition of terms
guest sometimes means anonymous
or guest accounts or guestgroup etc ...

In this case the file ftpgroup is use for two particular
commands.

SITE GROUP
SITE GPASS

So a person may change is gid and access some particular file
this is enable by putting
private yes
in ftpaccess.

for the man pages do 
man ftpaccess
and look under private, also under autogroup.
O'reilley book comes with some examples, but the book is out of date.

-- 
Bonne anne'e, alain

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 1997 23:25:23 -0600 (CST)

Never used it myself; I'm not sure what it is either.  I've never needed
it to do what I've needed to do.  Hope that last one made sense. :)

   -- Michael

On Mon, 10 Feb 1997, Sheryl Chapin wrote:

> ....

> However, what I don't know is where the ftpgroup file comes in. There is
> no man page for it, it is not mentioned in the book, yet there is an
> example of it under doc/examples, what is it's function? 

> ....