Subject: Re: Solaris 2.5.1,

From: Sheryl Chapin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 1997 14:17:06 -0600

At 02:29 PM 2/6/97 -0500, you wrote:
>> 
>> I read the wu-ftpd FAQ regarding this, 

<big snip>

Where can I find the FAQ?  I looked on wuarchive.wustl.edu but couldn't find
it and a SavvySearch couldn't find it either.

Thanks!

Sheryl Chapin
eWorks! Inc.

---

From: [email-masked] (Koos van den Hout _U nix and we all_)
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 1997 22:09:43 +0100 (MET)

> it and a SavvySearch couldn't find it either.

The www page(s) on wuarchive.wustl.edu about wu-ftpd should have a link to
the faq... they did last time I looked.

Anyway, it's at http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html

                                                  Grtx KH

-- 
  Koos van den Hout,     Internetter, Unix freak, ISFJ and BBS SysOp at large
  [email-masked] (Work)  <-- finger -l for PGPkey      Fax: +31-30-2586290
  [email-masked] (Home)                      Workphone: +31-30-2586287
  http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/   Looking for a license plate with "RFC 822"

---

From: [email-masked] (d. hall)
Date: 06 Feb 1997 16:34:42 -0500

// thus on Thu, 6 Feb 1997 14:17:06 -0600, Sheryl virtually wrote:

>>>  I read the wu-ftpd FAQ regarding this,

Sheryl> <big snip>

Sheryl> Where can I find the FAQ?  I looked on wuarchive.wustl.edu but
Sheryl> couldn't find it and a SavvySearch couldn't find it either.

wu-ftpd FAQ,

	http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html

Solaris FAQ,

	http://www.wins.uva.nl/pub/solaris/solaris2/

d.

---

From: Ken Chen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 1997 23:11:03 -0500 (EST)

> 	http://www.wins.uva.nl/pub/solaris/solaris2/

The Solaris 2 FAQ has a script (I think it's called ftp_anon) to setup the
FTP directory structure. I ran the script and it solved my problems with: 
425 Can't create data socket (0.0.0.0,20): Bad file number.

But then I ran into problems with my ftpaccess file. WU-FTPD would not
allow "real" users into the system or disallow "deletes" by anonymous
users.  Turns out I simply had to create a /etc/shells file (in the real
filesystem, not under the ftp directory).  It's all described in the
wu-ftpd FAQ, but may not be obvious becuase it says something about AIX
systems.  

If it's any glimmer of hope, wu-ftpd-b12 will run on a Solaris 2.5.1 box!

Hope this helps!  Feel free to contact me with any questions, I'll try to 
help as much as I can. 
Ken

 -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
  Ken Chen            | American Association for the Advancement of Science
  Computer Specialist |    1200 New York Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20005
  --------------------|----------------------------------------------------
  Internet: [email-masked]     Phone: (202) 326-7042    Fax: (202) 842-1711
	  **Opinions stated may not reflect that of the employer**
 -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-