Subject: RE: all works except -d, -l, -L on Solaris 2.5.1

From: "Roger A. Hanke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 1997 15:45:57 -0500

Darci,
 To be completely honest, I never even tried combining options.
I had copied from some examples that had the options listed out
separately. Since I had never gone in the code to see what kind of
parsing was supported I had always played it safe. So my command 
line is now -a -u007 -d -l -L and that is what I meant by 5 command line
args.

 Now having got that out of my system. Was concerned that noone else
on the list even mentioned this. This would sure seem like a good 
alternative to wrapping wuftpd just to get more args in. So tested it
out by combining the args on both Solaris and IRIX and walla, got all
5 args on command line now using -adlLu007. So you were not
imagining ;-)
	Thanx,
	Roger

----------
From: 	Paradise Cowgirl
Sent: 	Wednesday, February 05, 1997 1:48 PM
To: 	Roger A. Hanke
Subject: 	RE: all works except -d, -l, -L on Solaris 2.5.1

Roger,

Thanks for posting this to the list; I needed it :-) If you have a moment,
could you elaborate on the follwoing:

>  Yes on my Solaris 2.5.1 /etc/inetd.conf file only 4 arguments were being
> recognized to wuftpd, the 5th one, -L, in my case was being ignored.

I haven't experienced this particular "feature" :-) I once had:

wuftp  stream tcp      nowait  root    /usr/sbin/ftpd  ftpd -laiou113

and that seemed to work. I've since turned off the umask option, so maybe
I imagined it?

Just curious. Thanks!

Cheers,
Darci Chapman ([email-masked])
--
            "the days run away like horses over the hills"
	               To the motion be true.

"I heard a singer on the radio last night
Says he's gonna kick the darkness till it bleeds daylight"

---

From: Mark Whetzel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 1997 15:13:33 -0600 (CST)

Roger A. Hanke shaped the eletrons to say:
> So my command line is now -a -u007 -d -l -L and that is what I meant 
> by 5 command line args.
 [snip]
> So tested it out by combining the args on both Solaris and IRIX and walla, 
> got all 5 args on command line now using -adlLu007. 

> > recognized to wuftpd, the 5th one, -L, in my case was being ignored.

Ha HA!!.. I remember this.  Somehow some old code has crept into the 
rpc.inetd daemon.   This was a problem on older AIX systems.   Seems
like SUN hasn't fixed this either, or somehow some old code is back.

The inetd daemon itself was not parsing code the config file properly, 
and was NOT passing ALL arguments specified in the file to the started 
process.

Seems to me that I recall discussions on this on some other discussion
group long ago.  Funny how things keep coming back around.

-- 
Mark Whetzel     My comments are my own, not my company's.
Western Geophysical - A division of Western Atlas International Inc.,
A Subsidary of Western Atlas Inc.  addr: [email-masked]
VOICE: (713) 963-2544              FAX: (713) 963-2758