Subject: [Q] "can't set guest priveledges" error

From: Karl Marble <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 11:23:40 -0500 (EST)

Hello everyone...

I'm having trouble with setting up guest accounts, and a solution has 
been eluding me for over a week.  I've attached a copy of my ftpaccess 
file and a sample ftp session that shows the error.  

Real, and anonymous users have no problem logging in, but guests can't!?

Any suggestions???

Karl

--
Karl Marble
Unix Administrator
Information Services
City of Worcester Massachusetts
mailto:[email-masked]
loginfails	2

class   worc	real  *.worcester.ma.us
class	web	guest,anonymous *.worcester.ma.us
class	remote	real,guest,anonymous *

guestgroup wwwupld

email [email-masked]
Script started on Tue Feb 25 11:18:53 1997
city:ftpd_samples{501}# ftp www.ci.worcester.ma.us

Connected to www.ci.worcester.ma.us.

220 city.ci.worcester.ma.us FTP server (Version wu-2.4(1) Fri Feb 23 17:06:34 MST 1996) ready.

Name (www.ci.worcester.ma.us:marblek): karltest

331 Password required for karltest.

Password:

550 Can't set guest privileges.

ftp: Login failed.

Remote system type is UNIX.

Using binary mode to transfer files.

ftp> quit

221 Goodbye.

city:ftpd_samples{502}# grep karltest /etc/passwd

karltest:*:127:100:UGH,,,:/usr/ns-home/wwwpages/./clerk/admin:/etc/ftponly

city:ftpd_samples{503}# exit

Script done on Tue Feb 25 11:19:50 1997

---

From: Alice Aman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 10:54:33 -0600

>Real, and anonymous users have no problem logging in, but guests >can't!?

>Any suggestions???

 I was seeing the same error. But perhaps my config was different
than yours. My root directory for anonymous users was "/ftp".
For various reasons which aren't really relevent here, I wanted
to have home directories for the guest users on a disk different
from where the "/ftp" directory was located. So I created a symbolic
link beneath the "/ftp" directory located on disk3 to a directory
on disk2.
  I kept getting the error you are getting until I changed this and
created the home directory for the guest user as a normal directory
beneath "/ftp". 

  I'm very very new at this (just subscribed to this listserv today) 
but one might could deduce that this "can't set guest privileges"
error occurs when the ftp heirarchy is "violated". If you aren't
doing the symbolic link that I tried, perhaps you don't have the
/bin and /etc directories correctly set up beneath your root for
ftpd.
  
  I used the "guest how-to"at:

<URL:ftp://ftp.fni.com/pub/wu-ftpd/guest-howto>

  Once I had the directories created on the right disk as I described
above, the directions in "guest-howto" worked fine.
  Good luck.

  --Alice