Subject: Solaris 2.5.1,

From: [email-masked] (d. hall)
Date: 06 Feb 1997 14:06:57 -0500

Having problems with anonymous ftp with wu-2.4-academ(2) on Solaris 2.5.1
(uname follows): 
SunOS ftp.apk.net 5.5.1 Generic_103640-04 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-1

Error message is:
425 Can't create data socket (0.0.0.0,20): Bad file number.

I read the wu-ftpd FAQ regarding this, and it specified that the reason for
it dropping core when I do a 'chroot ~ftp /bin/ls' was /etc/group was
missing.  The files passwd, group, netconfig and nsswitch.conf are in /etc
directory of ~ftp (albeit minimal).  Solaris faq said wu-ftpd requires
ticlts in the /dev directory and libmp.so.1, both are there.  I tried going
back to the Sun native in.ftpd... still doesn't work.

Any suggestions, before I just redo my root partition?  I was working
originally and suddenly I'm getting the current error message.

Error messages in /var/log say:
Feb  2 03:50:41 junior.apk.net syslog: getpeername (ftpd): Broken pipe
Feb  2 03:50:41 junior.apk.net syslog: getsockname (ftpd): Broken pipe
Feb  2 03:50:41 junior.apk.net syslog: setsockopt (IP_TOS): Broken pipe

The list of devices I created for ~ftp
crw-rw-rw-   1 root     other     11, 42 Feb  6 11:46 tcp
crw-rw-rw-   1 root     other    105,  2 Feb  6 11:51 ticlts
crw-rw-rw-   1 root     other    105,  1 Feb  6 11:46 ticotsord
crw-rw-rw-   1 root     other     11, 41 Feb  6 11:46 udp
crw-rw-rw-   1 root     other     13, 12 Feb  6 11:46 zero

The list of libs I created for ~ftp
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     root       24576 Feb  6 11:46 ld.so
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     root      137160 Feb  6 11:46 ld.so.1
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     root      663460 Feb  6 11:46 libc.so.1
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     root        2564 Feb  6 11:46 libdl.so.1
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     root       15720 Feb  6 11:46 libintl.so.1
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     root       15720 May  2  1996 libmp.so.1
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     root      568884 Feb  6 11:46 libnsl.so.1
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     root       39932 Feb  6 11:46 libw.so.1
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     root       15632 Feb  6 11:46 nss_compat.so.1
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     root        9332 Feb  6 11:46 nss_dns.so.1
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     root       21144 Feb  6 11:46 nss_files.so.1
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     root       24404 Feb  6 11:46 nss_nis.so.1
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     root       28844 Feb  6 11:46 nss_nisplus.so.1
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     root        9312 Feb  6 11:46 straddr.so

d.

---

From: Gregory McLean <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 1997 14:29:10 -0500 (EST)

> crw-rw-rw-   1 root     other     13, 12 Feb  6 11:46 zero
Dunno if this will correct it... try setting the executeable flag on em.
Also check in the real /dev/ directory for the proper major and minor 
numbers (can't hurt)

-- 
   // | Gregory A McLean.   | [email-masked]
  //  | Systems Engineer    | +01 770 804-1190 (voice) +01 770 804-4546 (fax)
\X/   | Random Access INC.  | http://www.randomc.com/~gregm 
----------========**This is _ALL_ MY opinion, ALL MINE! HA!*=======------------

---

From: [email-masked] (d. hall)
Date: 06 Feb 1997 15:12:08 -0500

> Also check in the real /dev/ directory for the proper major and minor 

Checked, double checked.  Checked vs. other Solaris boxes, 2.5.1 which
wu-ftpd will work on.  If it's a solaris problem then why is only anon ftp
being affected.  I even reran ftp-anon script that's listed in the Solaris
FAQ (which is good enough to work with standard in.ftpd on any other
machine except this one).  I'm starting to think there is system
corruption, but I can't find it.  I deleted all the devices and mknod'ed
them manually again just to make sure.  Could it be something in
/etc/system that I'm missing?  Currently /etc/system is empty.

d.

---

From: Gregory McLean <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 1997 15:24:29 -0500 (EST)

> /etc/system that I'm missing?  Currently /etc/system is empty.
Sounds like a system corruption then. Though I can't imagine what it is.

---

From: "Jake Cunningham" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 1997 15:30:32 -0500 (EST)

Greetings,
	I had the same problem on Solaris 2.5 system.
Make sure the file system that contains the ftp tree is  
*NOT* mounted nosuid in the vfstab.
              ^^^^^^
By default it's mounted suid, which is what you want.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jake Cunningham                                     
System Administrator                           Phone: (413) 577-0450      
Five College Radio Astronomy Department        Fax :  (413) 545-4223  
University of Massachusetts, Amherst         Office:  LGRC Room 517P
[email-masked]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

---

From: [email-masked] (d. hall)
Date: 06 Feb 1997 16:32:28 -0500

// thus on Thu, 6 Feb 1997 15:30:32 -0500 (EST), Jake virtually wrote:

Jake> Greetings, I had the same problem on Solaris 2.5 system.  Make sure
Jake> the file system that contains the ftp tree is *NOT* mounted nosuid in
Jake> the vfstab.  By default it's mounted suid, which is what you want.
 
I thought the same as well. =) But it's mounted nosuid.  The reason why I
came to this assumption: I rebooted and this is when the problems began
occuring.  I typed mount, and that partition is definitely mounted as
nosuid.  I'll have to assume the worst and plan to reformat the machine's
root.

d.