Subject: Re: strange logging problems

From: [email-masked] (William L. Sebok)
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 1997 16:26:51 -0500 (EST)

James Sneeringer <[email-masked]> said:

> Each log level should be prefixed by a '=' for the desired effect:
> 
>    daemon.=emerg        /usr/adm/syslogs/daemon.emerg
>    daemon.=debug        /usr/adm/syslogs/daemon.debug
>    ...

That depends on your operating system and version of syslogd.  I have seen
the = option in Linux's syslog.conf.  The syslogd on Solaris 2.X and SunOS 4.X
doesn't have it.

Bill Sebok      Computer Software Manager, Univ. of Maryland, Astronomy
	Internet: [email-masked]	URL: http://www.astro.umd.edu/~wls/

---

From: James Sneeringer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 1997 18:48:12 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 6 Feb 1997, William L. Sebok wrote:
| That depends on your operating system and version of syslogd.  I have
| seen the = option in Linux's syslog.conf.  The syslogd on Solaris 2.X
| and SunOS 4.X doesn't have it. 

Yes, you are indeed correct.  Someone else pointed this out to me in
private email.  Judging from the man page, it appears that the syslog used
by Linux may be the only one supporting this functionality. 

Sorry for any confusion.

-James