Subject: 'dir' command dumps core

From: [email-masked] (William E. Diego)
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 16:39:24 -0500

Hi,

I have installed and re-installed version 2.4 on a SPARC10 running
Solaris 2.5.

Whenever a user ftp's into the machine as anonymous, the 'ls' command
works fine; however, the 'dir' command _does not_ return a long listing
of files - it returns nothing, and dumps a core file.

I have read the part in the docs about place a statically linked version
of 'ls' in /ftp/bin directory, as the 'chroot' that takes place when
coming in as anonymous causes any dynamically linked executables to
loose their links.

Ok, I downloaded 'fileutils-3.16' from the GNU site, since it contains
source for 'ls'.  However, I seem unable to compile it statically.
I am using gcc 2.7.2.

Any suggestions, help, new approaches would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
-bd
_______________________________________________________________________
William E. Diego                         | 
Science and Technology Corporation       | Tel: (703) 428-6827
U.S. Army Topographic Engineering Center |      (703) 428-6840 x2597
7701 Telegraph Road, Building 2592       | Fax: (703) 428-8176     
ATTN: CETEC-TD-TR (DIEGO)                | Internet: [email-masked]
Alexandria, VA  22315-3864               |
_________________________________________|_____________________________