Subject: Re: big ol' problem with ftpaccess under beta 12

From: [email-masked] (Stan Barber)
Date: 20 Feb 1997 21:57:03 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> Andy Ellsworth <[email-masked]> writes:
>Make sure inetd.conf calls ftpd with the '-a' parameter; this tells it
>to read the ftpaccess file.  For some kooky reason, *not* reading the
>ftpaccess file somehow became the default.

The kooky reason is so that wu-ftpd will work as a regular ftpd by default.
Originally, it would get all bent out of shape if the ftpaccess file was not
there. Now, it doesn't.

-- 
Stan   | Academ Consulting Services        |internet: [email-masked]
Olan   | For more info on academ, see this |uucp: {mcsun|amdahl}!academ!sob
Barber | URL- http://www.academ.com/academ |Opinions expressed are only mine.

---

From: [email-masked] (Stan Barber)
Date: 20 Feb 1997 21:58:23 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> "Matthew Emmerton" <[email-masked]> writes:
>Basically, you need to launch ftpd with the -a command line option in order
>for it to work correctly.  The action of -a is now opposite to what it
>originally was (which was to *not* read the ftpaccess file.)  This was
>changed somewhere along the beta trail, to prevent improperly configured
>distribution ftpaccess files being used, and promoting big loopholes on
>systems.

The action of -a was not changed. The default was to assume the ftpaccess
file was to be ready even if -a was not specified. That is not the same thing.