Subject: unpacking wuftpd

From: "Thomas A. McDonald" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 18:22:28 -0600 (CST)

Hello, my name is Thomas McDonald, and I'm trying to set the wuftpd ftp 
server. I'm anxious to get it set up, but I'm VERY new to the unix OS, so 
could someone tell me how to unzip the file? I've never done it before 
and I'd appreciate it if someone helped me out.

Thanks, Thom

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 19:05:07 -0600 (CST)

tar xzf wu-ftpd....

where .... is the rest of the file name.  That will extract the contents
into a directory.  Read the README and INSTALL docs, as well as others,
carefully so you know what you are getting into.  Some reading about FTP
security would be very advisable for you before you put it online.  See
the data below for more references.

   -- Michael

> and I'd appreciate it if someone helped me out.

This is the location for the latest wu-ftpd.  You can't see the
directory contents, but get the file anyway.  It's there.

ftp://ftp.academ.com/pub/wu-ftpd/private/wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-12.tar.Z

wu-ftpd FAQ:  http://www.cetis.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html
              OR
              send mail to [email-masked]
              with a subject line: send faq

guest howto:  ftp://ftp.fni.com/pub/wu-ftpd/guest-howto
              OR
              send mail to "[email-masked]"
              (immediate autoresponder; subject does not matter)

There are additional security references in the above docs.

---

From: "Thomas A. McDonald" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 23:50:08 -0600 (CST)

Thanks, that got the file unpacked... But I can't seem to find the 
documentation you spoke of. I have yet to find any readme files.. Could 
you possibly help me out again? Hate to bother everyone. Thanks.

Thom

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 00:57:12 -0600 (CST)

Do the following commands (you've done the first one). The results of the
ls are shown.  At least read the INSTALL, NOTES, and README files. 

> tar xzf wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-12.tar.Z
> cd wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-12
> ls
wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-12:
ANNOUNCE-12           FIXES-2.4.2-BETA-3    README
FIXES-2.4             FIXES-2.4.2-BETA-4    VIRTUAL.FTP.SUPPPORT
FIXES-2.4-HOBBIT      FIXES-2.4.2-BETA-5    build*
FIXES-2.4.1-academ    FIXES-2.4.2-BETA-6    config.h
FIXES-2.4.2-BETA-1    FIXES-2.4.2-BETA-7    doc/
FIXES-2.4.2-BETA-10   FIXES-2.4.2-BETA-8    makefiles/
FIXES-2.4.2-BETA-11   FIXES-2.4.2-BETA-9    src/
FIXES-2.4.2-BETA-12   INSTALL               support/
FIXES-2.4.2-BETA-2    NOTES                 util/

   -- Michael

---

From: "Thomas A. McDonald" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 02:30:47 -0600 (CST)

okay... Call me stupid, but I got that far now, however, I'm really lost 
now. I've done everything the INSTALL file says, but I keep getting 
errors and things. For one thing, the ver. of UnixWare I'm on isn't in 
the list, and I don't know how to edit make it work.... Can someon help 
me AGAIN? I know I'm probably getting on people's nerves who've been 
doing this for awhile, but like I said, I'm extremely new to Unix. 
Please help.

Thom