Subject: Re: Linux install

From: James Sneeringer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 19:14:23 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 17 Feb 1997, Vincent Cojot wrote:
| On Mon, 17 Feb 1997, Josh Mayers wrote:
| >         I'm running the Slackware 3.1.0 (96) distribution of Linux, kernel
| > 2.0.28.  I have libc 4.7.6 and gcc 2.7.2, and I'm attempting to install
| > wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-11.  My system is ELF.
| 
| The libc your system is actually using is probably 5.3.12 (5.x.x at any
| case), the libc-4.7.6 you noticed is just there for a.out compatibility
| and it is not the one used by the system (do a "ldd /bin/df" and check the
| output to see which libc). 

Yep.  Slackware 3.1 includes both, and installs both by default.

Note that you don't need to link libshadow, either, if you're compiling
wu-ftpd as an ELF binary.  This is discussed in the NOTES file in the
wu-ftpd distribution (toward the bottom).

| > glob.c: In function `matchdir':
| > glob.c:284: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
| > make: *** [glob.o] Error 1
| 
| Add -DDIRENT_ILLEGAL_ACCESS to Makefile.lnx, this will fix that problem.
| This is a FAQ, btw.. :)

Or fetch a copy of beta12, which fixes this problem and numerous others:
  ftp.academ.com:/pub/wuftpd/private

-James

--
|\ James Sneeringer, System Administrator
| \ Oberlander Communications Systems, Inc.
|__\ [email-masked] :: 309/688-4766 :: 800/747-4768