Subject: Re: ON THE FLIGHT COMPRESSION

From: Will Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 1997 10:03:13 -0500 (EST)

"On the Flight Compression" occurs when you order tickets on certain
carriers who use special "dynamic compression payload adjusters" that
slowly squish packets into tiny little balls during long international
hops. By compressing the passeng.. uh, packets, greater throughput is
obtained on the long haul internation routes. Some carriers claim they
can fit twice as many packets into the same space!

[hee hee]
(No offence intended - just couldn't resist the opportunity)

--
Will Brown

---

From: George Ross <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 1997 15:55:59 +0000

> can fit twice as many packets into the same space!

Perhaps RFC 1149 is relevant here too.

As regards the "on the fly" compression that the original poster was wondering 
about, did it work for "real" users and not for anonymous ones, or did it just 
not work at all?  If the former then I would suspect that something that the 
utilities depend on is missing from the chroot()ed tree.  If the latter then 
perhaps the daemon's PATH might be relevant.

It would also be useful to know what kind of system is being used, as there 
may be some particular quirk which someone on the list might know about.

In any case, if there's some way to trace the daemon's execution as it fails 
to do the compression, then that might give some useful hints as to the 
problem.

-- 
Dr George D M Ross, Department of Computer Science, University of Edinburgh
       Kings Buildings, Mayfield Road, Edinburgh, Scotland, EH9 3JZ
Mail: [email-masked]   Voice: +44 131 650 5147   Fax: +44 131 667 7209
   PGP: 1024/B74A4F7D  14 E8 B3 00 20 04 68 F8  95 40 CB 36 A4 D4 FA 90