Subject: wu-ftpd and MSIE

From: [email-masked] (Chris Brown)
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 12:17:35 -0800 (PST)

I've noticed that msie tends to break in a couple of cases when interacting with
wu-ftpd...

1) When a file is unreadable
2) When a server is 'full'

In both cases (and maybe others) it returns extended information.  In the
second case some web browsers prompt for a userid and password which has
ends up getting me several pieces of email asking for the password to be
removed.  Is there a way around this?

Chris...

ftp://siggy.iceonline.com/
http://siggy.iceonline.com/~ftp/

---

From: "Matthew Emmerton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 17:13:27 -0500

----------
> From: Chris Brown <[email-masked]>
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: wu-ftpd and MSIE
> Date: Thursday, February 20, 1997 3:17 PM
> 

The easiest is to disable extended error information.  This can be done by
prefixing the user's password with a dash character.  (Instead of typing
password, type -password.)  This prevents wu-ftpd (and any other ftp
server) from sending extended error responses.

Some browsers still ask for a username and password even if the server is
full, and just bail you out.  There's no real way around this as far as I
know.

Matt