Subject: While we're on the guest user thread...

From: Karl Marble <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 12:30:52 -0500 (EST)

Hello all...

Thanks for the RTFM on getting wu-ftpd to use the ftpaccess file...

Now that I have that working, I set up a guest user via the 
guestgroup command.

When one of those users does an 'ls' or a 'dir', the files they own 
appear as their user ID number, and not their actual login name.  For real 
users, they see their login name and that's what I'd like guests to see 
too.  

Is there something I'm overlooking here?

Karl

--
Karl Marble
Unix Administrator
Information Services
City of Worcester Massachusetts
mailto:[email-masked]

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 11:27:41 -0600 (CST)

That's why ~/etc/{passwd,group} are in the chroot tree.  ls should pull
from there to see the names, not numbers.

   -- Michael

---

From: Subu Rama <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 12:28:04 -0500 (EST)

You don't have etc/passwd and etc/group in the guest user's home
directory. Nothing lost. Just no names, that's all.

If you really want names, you need to make copies of /etc/passwd and
/etc/group in each of the guest users' home directories.

Subu