Subject: Re: wu-ftpd guest accounts

From: Ian Willis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 97 17:40:34 GMT

To avoid worrying about the major and minor numbers, use cpio to
create the device, e.g.

find /dev/zero -print | cpio -pd ~ftp

From: Jim Davis <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: wu-ftpd guest accounts

On 7 Feb 1997, Dilip S. Poduval wrote:

> I had downloaded the documentation and in the process of setting it up on
> Solaris 2.5, I noticed that there was an error in your documentation where you
> are creating  ~dev/zero.  The command read "mknod zero c 3 12".  When I set it
> up that way, I started getting errors about "device not being found".  On
> further investigation, I found that the actual command should be "mknod zero c
> 13 12".

Instead of hardwiring numbers like that into the documentation, a better
approach for Solaris would be to do what the ftpd man page says:  run

ls -lL /dev/zero

(and similarly for the other devices) and use whatever numbers the ls
command returns.