Subject: ftpwho AND redhat 4.1

From: Jack MacDowall <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 1997 15:30:38 -0500

Anyone figure out why this happens::::

I've got real ftp users logged in but ftpcount doesn;t see them....

[root@jackl /root]# ftpwho
Service class all:
   -   0 users (  5 maximum)

Service class staff:
   -   0 users ( 10 maximum)

[root@jackl /root]# ps -ax | grep ftp
  266   1 S    0:00 grep ftp
  222  ?  S    0:00 ftpd: elhaz.wcom.COM: ghost: RETR Lan.a02\015\012
  226  ?  S    0:00 ftpd: zebra15.msassoc.co.jp: ghost: RETR
xfls305.zip\015
  232  ?  S    0:00 ftpd: mac59.eaac.apple.de: ghost: RETR
n2ntlnd6.zip\015\012
  243  ?  S    0:00 ftpd: arkonen.infonie.FR: ghost: IDLE
  264  ?  S    0:00 ftpd: pc0113.jomon.or.jp: ghost: IDLE
[root@jackl /root]#

---

From: Alain Magloire <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 1997 12:58:58 -0500 (EST)

> I've got real ftp users logged in but ftpcount doesn;t see them....

ftpcount needs the file _PATH_PIDNAMES to work properly
usually 
_PATH_PIDNAMES --> /etc/ftp.pid-%s

That's where all the accounting takes place

If you don't have the src code do a 

strings - ftpcount
and try to figure out where is _PATH_PIDNAMES

Note: it also uses /bin/ps -f -p but that should be allright for Linux

-- 
au revoir, alain
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
POIRE: Premature Optimization Is the Root Of all Evil
                      D.K or is it B.K ? maybe A.M ;-)