Subject: Real vs. Guest users

From: Sheryl Chapin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 10:30:01 -0600

Hi all,

I thought I had my wu-ftpd beta 12 working fine on my solaris 2.5.1 and then
I hit a snag.  Basically, all my guest users work great, but when I ftp in,
instead of being a real user, I get the message I am restricted and then of
course, nothing works (ls, cd, etc) because I don't have all the directories
in my path.

I know this is a problem with my ftpaccess file, but I don't know what I am
doing wrong.  Here is my ftpaccess file:

class   all   real,guest,anonymous  *

message /welcome.msg            login

compress        no             local remote
tar             no             local remote

delete             no             anonymous,guest
overwrite          no             anonymous
rename             no             anonymous
chmod              no             anonymous,guest
umask              no             anonymous,guest

guestgroup ftpguest

log commands real
log transfers anonymous,guest,real inbound,outbound

email [email-masked]

As you can see, it's pretty basic, I'm not doing anything fancy with it.
So, I know it is probably some really dumb thing, but if anyone has any
idea, I would MOST appreciate it!

Thanks!

Sheryl Chapin
eWorks! Inc.
[email-masked]

---

From: Gregory Youngblood <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 12:22:52 -0500

I had this problem as well.

In my case, I had MY user listed in /etc/group with the group defined as a
guestgroup. As such, I was treated as a guest and not a real user.

Solution was to remove my username from the group in /etc/group. This
allowed me to log in as a real user.