Subject: wu-ftpd guest accounts

From: "Dilip S. Poduval" <[email-masked]>
Date: 07 Feb 97 10:12:50 EST

I had downloaded the documentation and in the process of setting it up on
Solaris 2.5, I noticed that there was an error in your documentation where you
are creating  ~dev/zero.  The command read "mknod zero c 3 12".  When I set it
up that way, I started getting errors about "device not being found".  On
further investigation, I found that the actual command should be "mknod zero c
13 12".  I am not sure if any one else has noticed this mistake in the
documentation.  If it is not a mistake,  I apologize.
Hope this helps.
Regards
Dilip

---

From: Jim Davis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 1997 09:34:28 -0700 (MST)

On 7 Feb 1997, Dilip S. Poduval wrote:

> 13 12".

Instead of hardwiring numbers like that into the documentation, a better
approach for Solaris would be to do what the ftpd man page says:  run

ls -lL /dev/zero

(and similarly for the other devices) and use whatever numbers the ls
command returns.

---

From: Emil Isberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 1997 18:01:09 +0100 (MET)

> (and similarly for the other devices) and use whatever numbers the ls

Or .. :-)
for dev in zero tcp udp ticotsord
do
 devnum=`ls -lLg /dev/$dev|awk '{print $4 " " $5}'| tr ',' ' '`
 mknod $dev c $devnum
done

/Emil