Subject: ok, i admit it --- my fingers are fat

From: bruce draper <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 14:20:19 -0600 (CST)

i was trying (again) to get off of the junk mail list that had a message in
my mbox *before* the wu-ftpd message.  i don't know how i did it, but i
ended up sending my remove request to *both* the junk list and the entire
wu-ftpd list.  opps. . .

i appreciate the helpful instructions folks have sent me on unsubscribing
to mail lists (kind of goes along with the nature of the list) but you can
stop them.  i *know* how to behave with real lists.  the problem is with
the automated junk lists that don't behave so civily. . .

bruce

---

From: Juergen Christoffel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 23:45:58 +0100

Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 14:20:19 -0600 (CST)
   Reply-To: [email-masked]

[Note:	I'm cc-ing the whole list as this might be of interest to
	others too]

Bruce,

you might want to take a look at procmail, a mail filter program which
you can use to automatically pre-process your incoming mail and most
important for your purpose to simply bounce incoming mail from
specific addresses which may be whole spam domains. That way it's
their problem to get you off of their list and not your's. Or, instead
of bouncing the message, you can automate an answer telling them to go
away.

Procmail comes with examples for setup and should be available at your
nearest USENET comp.sources.misc archive, or at
FTP.INFORMATIK.RWTH-AACHEN.DE as pub/packages/procmail/procmail.tar.gz

Cheers, JC

-- 
   E-Mail: [email-masked] or one of {ftp,news,[email-masked]
   GMD - German National Research Center for Information Technology

GMD pays for my technical expertise. My opinions probably scare them...

---

From: Randy Katz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 18:14:33 -0800 (PST)

civility breeds civility...

> the automated junk lists that don't behave so civily. . .

RAK

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Randy A. Katz
Computer Consultation & Sales
505 S. Beverly Drive, Suite 472			       Beverly Hills, CA  90212
(213) 307-9581					       http://www.ccsales.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------