Subject: Wrong timezone in output of 'ls -l'

From: Mark Galbraith <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 16:56:57 -0800 (PST)

Server: Sun Sparc-20/Solaris 2.4
WU-FTP: 2.4

When viewing the output of an 'ls -l' command, the date/time shown
appears to be GMT.  I would like this to be my local timezone
(US/Pacific).  I tried setting the TZ environment variable in ftpd, but
it didn't seem to have any effect on the execution of ~ftp/bin/ls.

Is there anyway to do this?  If so, how?

Thanks for your time.  Hope everyone has a great weekend.

-- 
Mark Galbraith                   Member of The HTML Writers Guild
Engineer, Internet Services	              http://www.hwg.org/
Triad Systems Corporation
(PGP Fingerprint=1CB9 7481 AD5C 5709  690B AC09 7F65 D6F6)

---

From: Bob Luckin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 97 21:51:59 CST

Mark Galbraith said :-
> Is there anyway to do this?  If so, how?

You are probably missing the /usr/share/lib/zoneinfo directory from your
FTP root - ie. ~ftp/usr/share/lib/zoneinfo...

>From the Solaris man page (admittedly Solaris 2.5, not 2.4) :-
   ~ftp/usr/share/lib/zoneinfo
                    Make this directory mode 555 and  owned  by  the
                    super-user.      Copy    its    contents    from
                    /usr/share/lib/zoneinfo.  This enables ls -l  to
                    display time and date stamps correctly.

If I recall correctly, you don't really need the whole of this directory,
just the bits relevant to your timezone, but copying the whole thing a la
man page won't hurt.

I hope this helps !

Cheers, Bob
-- 
Bob Luckin      [email-masked]      "A man, a plan, a canal, Suez !"