Subject: Re: HELP... chroot not working

From: "Gregory S. Youngblood" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Jan 1997 02:39:10 -0500

At 08:27 PM 12/22/96 -0500, you wrote:
>First, I've read and applied the guest-howto information, I've double and
>triple checked everything I could find. I know this is asked repeatedly,
>and I even went and looked in my archives but didn't find anything.
>
>This is using 2.4.2 beta 11 on linux 2.0.24, libc 5.3.12 and I am not using
>shadow passwords.
>
>When the guest user is logged in it is treated as a regular user, even
>though in the passwd entry for this user is:
>user:password:527:508:whatever:/home/webmet/home/./user:/bin/fakeshell
>
>when ftp'd in, a cd / goes to the root directory of the host, not
>/home/webmet/home as it would seem.
>
>When using 2.4[1] ls and dir wouldn't return anything, but mkdir and chmod
>commands were working.
>
>Anyone have any ideas on getting this to work? 
>

The solution was rather simple actually. And quite obvious. I just couldn't
see it.

Turns out the problems was that with the change from my older wu.ftpd which
defaulted to use the ftpaccess file ( i believe ) to the newer version
which by default did NOT use the ftpaccess file, I  had to go change the
way ftpd was being called. Quite simple really, once I got it figured out. :)

Greg