Subject: Logging FAILED file transfers

From: Bob Dougherty <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 1997 15:44:55 -0500

I never got any feedback to this idea when I posted it in October.  So
I'll try again, this time with a shorter posting...

Sometimes it may be important to know that file transfers are failing. 
The xferlog file won't identify FAILED file transfers:  if a user's
connection drops in mid-transfer, a record is never written to xferlog. 

I've patched ftpd.c to send xferlog-type records to syslog, at the start
of a file transfer, and again at the end. I process the syslog to identify
failed file transfers, by looking for start-of-transfer records that don't
have corresponding end-of-transfer records. 

If there's any interest in this technique, let me know.  Of course, maybe
you already have :-)

-- 
Bob Dougherty                            Internet: [email-masked]
Institute for Scientific Information     Voice: (215) 386-0100, ext. 1161
3501 Market St., Philadelphia PA 19104   Fax:   (215) 386-6362

---

From: mark david mcCreary <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 1997 23:16:45 -0600

People

I have gotten the virtual ftp server feature sort of working with the Red
Hat 3.0.3 installation, which uses wu-ftpd 2.4.2 Beta 9.  The ftpaccess
virtual command looks like this

	      # Virtual Servers
              virtual 165.254.117.200 /home/home3/ftp2
/home/home3/ftp2/etc/banner.msg

              where the 1st arg is the ip # of the virtual server, the
second is the
              new root, and the third is the banner to display upon login.

I had problems in that my upload directive was not being applied to
anonymous virtual uploads, in that the nodirs command was not honored, and
the user/group was not applied to the files uploaded.

In reading the man pages, and the clarification on the upload directive,
it's still clear as mud.  It says the upload keyword only applies to users
who have a home directory (argument of chroot) = to the <root-dir>.

In my case, I have set up a virtual ftp server, and I want to allow people
to upload files anonymously. It would seem that these people would be users
ftp, and that their home directory would be /home/ftp.  Which should enable
the upload command.

Maybe I could control things better by setting up a special user, and
making the virtual domain uploaders sign in with a generic login, instead
of signing in as anonymous ?

So I have downloaded Beta 12, to see if the problems go away.  I notice a
different ftpaccess line, which looks like this
		# Virtual Server at 10.10.10.10
		virtual 10.10.10.10 root    /var/ftp/virtual/ftp-serv
		virtual 10.10.10.10 banner
/var/ftp/virtual/ftp-serv/banner.msg
		virtual 10.10.10.10 logfile
/var/log/ftp/virtual/ftp-serv/xferlog

I'm guessing that Red Hat used a different patch when putting in the
virtual server release last spring.

I'd appreciate any feedback, to make sure that I am not getting too far off
course.

THanks

mark

mark david mcCreary
Internet Tools, Inc.            4615 Post Oak Place, Suite 140
[email-masked]          Houston, Texas 77027
http://www.internet-tools.com	713.627.9600

---

From: Jon Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 01:17:44 -0500 (EST)

> 		virtual 10.10.10.10 root    /var/ftp/virtual/ftp-serv

RedHat must be using the original (old) patch to support virtual FTP.  The
current one has been there at least since beta11.

------------------------------------------------------------------
 Jon Lewis <[email-masked]>  |  Unsolicited commercial e-mail will
 Network Administrator       |  be proof-read for $199/hr.
________Finger [email-masked] for PGP public key_______