Subject: Re: guest account performance

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 1997 23:04:51 -0600 (CST)

If the shell you are forking is smaller, it should run faster, though I
doubt you could tell the difference retrieving the list if the server is
fast at all.  In other words, I have no ideas why you see that kind of
time increase unless the priority is much lower and the server is busy. 

   -- Michael    ([email-masked])

On Mon, 13 Jan 1997, Thom Dunaway wrote:

> THe list is the same.  Does the shell specified affect the time.  I have a
> special restrictive shell for the guest users.
> 
> >Shouldn't be any performance difference at all; guest group is a login
> >qualification only, does not alter functionality at all.  I suppose
> >different logins might run at different system priorities and that might
> >make a difference.  Is the file list bigger?
> >
> >On Mon, 13 Jan 1997, Thom Dunaway wrote:
> >
> >> When using wu-ftpd with guest accounts, I have noticed the performance
> >> deminishes.  Seems to take 3 to 4 times as long to obtain the file list.
> >> Any way to improve performance?