Subject: Re: date and root deny...

From: Bob Woodward <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 1997 15:05:03 -0800

At 04:41 PM 1/8/97 -0600, you wrote:
>I have two problems:
>One is that the time date I get from the ftp server when I ftp to it is 
>incorrect.  I guess the ftp server isn't reading the sys clock?
>Secondly, the ftp server keeps denying the root user access.  I've check 
>the passwd file in both the /etc/ and ~ftp/etc dir's.  Both say /sbin/sh 
>and the /etc/shells file contains /sbin/sh.  I also looked into the 
>ftphosts file and that isn't it either.  Any ideas?
>
>P.S. When I look at my syslog, it say something to the effect of:
>FTP LOGIN DENIED : User access denied...: REASON (bad shell), root
>
>Clues?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Alan
>
>
I have both /sbin/sh and /bin/sh and my /etc/passwd file has for root, it's
also going to /sbin/sh, as is most of my users, but there are a few that
are going to /bin/sh.  I'm one of them.  Is it possible that you have
something like this too but have a damaged /sbin/sh file?
----------
Bob Woodward, Seattle FilmWorks     ([email-masked])
Data Processing Department	(206) 281-1390 ext. 475

Visit our Web Site to learn about getting your pictures via downloads on
the Internet!
Point your browser to "http://www.filmworks.com".

---

From: Theo Van Dinter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 1997 18:32:18 -0500 (EST)

> FTP LOGIN DENIED : User access denied...: REASON (bad shell), root

Just to note, all users listed in /etc/ftpusers are denied access via FTP.
root tends to be in there.

--
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Theo Van Dinter				 www: http://www.kluge.net/~felicity/
Vice-President WPI Lens and Lights	       Active Member in SocComm Films
Member of WPI ACM			       AME for the Masque C-Term Show

                File not found, but if you'll hum a few bars...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------