Subject: ftpaccess +dirs ownership problem

From: "Chadwick A. Dubuque" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 13:41:30 -0600 (CST)

I'm trying to make an anonymous ftp area for a client so people can upload
directories and files for him. Everything seems to be working fine for
files, but directories aren't being chown-ed properly. Here's the lines from
my /etc/ftpaccess file:

upload  /home/ftp    *                       no
upload  /home/ftp    /hidden/username        yes username group 0666 dirs
upload  /home/ftp    /hidden/username/*      yes username group 0666 dirs

This should only allow anonymous users to create files and directories in
/hidden/username, with "username" and "group" as the user and group
ownership, and give the files 0666 permissions.

The file part of it is fine. However, the directories are being made with
"ftp" as the owner (that's what the daemon is running as) which means that
the client ("username") can't delete them. And since the directories are
being made 0755 (as per the -u022 umask on the command line) "username"
can't delete the files within the directory. (Though, he could overwrite
them with 0-length files, but that doesn't help much.)

Is there a chown() call missing?

This is 2.4.2-beta-11 on BSDI.

-- 
Chadwick A. Dubuque              [email-masked]
http://cadaver.acm.ndsu.NoDak.edu/~cdubuque/      finger for PGP key
"If a tree falls in the forest . . . and we've already sold the
tree . . . does it have quality?" -The Pointy Haired Boss, "Dilbert"

---

From: Roberto Lumbreras Pastor <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 22:34:10 +0100 (MET)

On Wed, 29 Jan 1997, Chadwick A. Dubuque wrote:

: Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 13:41:30 -0600 (CST)
: From: "Chadwick A. Dubuque" <[email-masked]>
: Reply-To: [email-masked]
: To: [email-masked]
: Subject: ftpaccess +dirs ownership problem
: 
: The file part of it is fine. However, the directories are being made with
: "ftp" as the owner (that's what the daemon is running as) which means that
: the client ("username") can't delete them. And since the directories are
: being made 0755 (as per the -u022 umask on the command line) "username"
: can't delete the files within the directory. (Though, he could overwrite
: them with 0-length files, but that doesn't help much.)
: 
: Is there a chown() call missing?
: 
: This is 2.4.2-beta-11 on BSDI.

The same problem here, using Linux 2.0.xx. And I've seen the same problem
on all wu-ftpd versions I've tested.

: -- 
: Chadwick A. Dubuque              [email-masked]
: http://cadaver.acm.ndsu.NoDak.edu/~cdubuque/      finger for PGP key
: "If a tree falls in the forest . . . and we've already sold the
: tree . . . does it have quality?" -The Pointy Haired Boss, "Dilbert"

Regards,
--
Roberto Lumbreras Pastor                mailto:[email-masked]
Lander Internet - Spain                 http://www.lander.es/
Tel +34 1 556.28.83                     Fax +34 1 556.30.01