Subject: Restricting users access.

From: "Branden R. Williams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 1997 15:50:02 -0600 ()

I would like to possibly restrict certain users so that when they log in
to the system via ftp, it will choot them to their home dir.  Is there a
way to do this?  I have seen it done, but I have gotten no response from
the server administrator.  Thanks in advance for any help you may have.

--
Branden R. Williams
<[email-masked]> | <[email-masked]>
http://www.kickinit.com/
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams."

---

From: Norbert Crettol <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 1997 11:17:49 +0100 (GMT+0100)

> the server administrator.  Thanks in advance for any help you may have.

The anonymous users are always chrooted. For real users, you cant define 
a guestgroup in /etc/ftpaccess. But you MUST run ftpd with the -a option 
to use /etc/ftpaccess.

Everything is very well explained in the FAQ :

http://www.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html

Norbert Crettol

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Omedia sa              Av. de la Gare 38          CH1920 Martigny
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Norbert Crettol                                 Internet services
[email-masked]                                  connexions, conseil
++41 27 722 04 50     http://www.omedia.ch        creation de Web
-----------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: zeus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 1997 11:10:59 -0600

make a guestgroup account.  put them in this group (you could make it
their main group).  add this group to the guestgroup line in ftpaccess. 
that should do it.  of course they can telnet in unless you give them a
shell such as /bin/true or /bin/false or /dev/null for that matter (be
sure and have the shell you choose in /etc/shells).

		taylor cc