Subject: using links to setup chroot area

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 1997 09:56:33 -0500 (EST)

A while back there was a lot of mail about using links to set up the
etc, bin, dev, lib areas  for chrooted users instead of making
individual copies for each user. If someone was able to use links
could you send in what type of link you used and how you set it up.
I tried some simple stuff using symbolic links under IRIX6.2, but I
dont think I set the link up correctly. I wasn't able to view the
linked directories. Any help would be appreciated.

Doug

-- 
Doug Courtney
[email-masked]
(908)949-3597

---

From: Bob Dougherty <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 1997 11:16:23 -0500

Use hard links; symlinks work as logical, not physical pointers so they
won't be valid in a chrooted environment.  Hardlinks are valid within a
filesystem, regardless of whether you've chrooted your user.  You might
have to make one copy of these files to get them in the right filesystem. 

Also, remember that you can't hard link an entire directory as you can do
with symlinks; you'll need to create actual directories under each
prospective root, and hardlink the individual files within those
directories. 

See the guest how-to for more details.

-- 
Bob Dougherty                            Internet: [email-masked]
Institute for Scientific Information     Voice: (215) 386-0100, ext. 1161
3501 Market St., Philadelphia PA 19104   Fax:   (215) 386-6362