Subject: static linking under Solaris 5.5.1

From: Steve Lee <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 22:05:08 GMT

Hello All

Has anybody been able to get wu-ftpd and ls to compile with static
links instead of dynamic under Solaris 5.5.1?  I am using SUNs
compilers and I know the flag to use (-dn) but there are now some .a
libraries with Solaris (libnsl.a) that use dynamic functions (dlclose
for one).

I believe this is done on purpose and is the beginning of a trend (see
http://www.wins.uva.nl/pub/solaris/solaris2/Q6.24.html).

I have tryed moving the libraries into the chrooted /lib (/usr/lib is a
link) but am still having trouble with a dynamically linked ls.
Besides I WANT statically linked executables for this!  I am not much
of a programer, if you know how to make this work please keep your
instructions simple enough for a novice.

Thanks Much
Steve Lee
[email-masked]

---

From: Vidiot <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 17:03:07 -0600 (CST)

<Has anybody been able to get wu-ftpd and ls to compile with static
<links instead of dynamic under Solaris 5.5.1?  I am using SUNs
<compilers and I know the flag to use (-dn) but there are now some .a
<libraries with Solaris (libnsl.a) that use dynamic functions (dlclose
<for one).

First off, what is Solaris 5.5.1?  The latest releases are Solaris 2.5.1
and Solaris 2.6.  I don't know the one you mentioned.

Secondly I have the latest compiled using the GNU gcc (2.7.+) compiler.
You might want to change to that.  If you do, you should add -mv8 to
the CFLAGS, if you are on an Ultra.

Doing the above, and using the installation script for Solaris that I posted
several days ago, to help the installation process, will give you a version
of wu-ftp that is operational.

MB
-- 
System Administrator - Finnigan FT/MS - Madison WI. <URL:http://www.ftms.com/>
e-mail: [email-masked]
phone: (608) 273-8262 ext: 612  fax: (608) 273-8719
Visit - <URL:http://www.cdsnet.net/vidiot/>  (Your link to Star Trek and UPN)

---

From: Bob Myers <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 15:28:50 -0800

> and Solaris 2.6.  I don't know the one you mentioned.

He means SunOS 5.5.1, which is part of Solaris 2.5.1.

---

From: Alain Magloire <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 18:44:08 -0500 (EST)

> and Solaris 2.6.  I don't know the one you mentioned.

:-)

Solaris-2.5.1 is the same as SunOS-5.5.1

Browse the wu-ftpd archive, someone have already posted
a modified version of GNU ls to make it compile static.

Solaris does not provide the libdl.a so you have to
provide the dl*() stubs and link them with the executable
Check again in the solaris FAQ. Or browse the archive again
it's there .. somewhere.

> of wu-ftp that is operational.

If you lack the time to do all that browsing, then using `Vidiot'
script or doing man ftpd will be helpfull

There is also a patch(Jedi's patch) to compile ls internally
.. sorry but I don't know the status see .. the archive ;-)

-- 
Bonne anne'e, alain

---

From: Vidiot <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 18:06:42 -0600 (CST)

<He means SunOS 5.5.1, which is part of Solaris 2.5.1.

Ah, OK.  Sun should never have started to Solaris naming scheme, as it has
cause more confusion (Solaris 1, Solaris 2, SunOS 4, SunOS 5, etc. :-)

MB

---

From: [email-masked] (Mark S. Tremblay)
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 08:05:34 -0500 (EST)

> He means SunOS 5.5.1, which is part of Solaris 2.5.1.

As in the same thing.... Different names for the same beast.

-- 
-Mark S. Tremblay
 Eastman Kodak - Elmgrove Plant
 [email-masked]
 (716) 253-0102