Subject: DCE patch available

From: Dan Foster <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 10:05:39 -0500 (EST)

A co-worker and I has made a patch of 2.4.2 beta 12 that supports
DCE. It works *very* well - we've stress tested it for months on end
internally with 2.4.2 beta 11, and it's failed us not even once.

I'll be submitting it for consideration for 2.5 in a few days... but
wanted to ask for some testing input before I do so.

Specifically, we developed the DCE code on AIX machines... and see
no reason why it wouldn't build under other platforms with DCE
(ie Digital Unix, Solaris, etc..) but want to know for sure.

Our patch is relatively trivial - consists of modifying two makefiles
(at least, the AIX ones) and adding a -ldce for linking, and we add
a file named dce_pass.c to the dependencies consisting of the single
subroutine that does the username and password lookup... then we put
an #ifdef DCE in ftpd.c right after the password has crypt() applied
to it (actually, with DCE, we avoid use of crypt() ) that calls
dce_pass(passwd, username); and add a -DDCE to the CFLAGS.

We do have a daemon running that intercepts the various getpw* calls
and calls DCE internally, then returns data structures expected from
the getpw* calls for application compatibility with the standard Unix
password authentication routines - so why do we bother with the DCE patch?

Well, if that daemon dies, we're SOL. But as long as it can make direct
DCE calls, wu-ftpd will *never* fail to authenticate users.

I am also mulling a change that would provide seriously good performance
for *heavily* loaded servers with a lot of users (talking 50-100,000+ user
base) that does direct DCE calls.

Anyway, if you want to test DCEified wu-ftpd, please let me know what
OS, OS version, and DCE vendor - and I'll send you the patches (against
2.4.2 beta 12) or the tar file if preferred - and want to hear how well 
they work for you.

Just wanted to reduce some of the testing/porting/platform issues for
Barber & Co. before sending patch in ;-)

-Dan Foster
Internet: [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Stan Barber)
Date: 29 Jan 1997 22:32:08 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> Dan Foster <[email-masked]> writes:
...
>Barber & Co. before sending patch in ;-)

Barber & Co. do appreciate that!

-- 
Stan   | Academ Consulting Services        |internet: [email-masked]
Olan   | For more info on academ, see this |uucp: {mcsun|amdahl}!academ!sob
Barber | URL- http://www.academ.com/academ |Opinions expressed are only mine.