Subject: Location of archives?

From: "Steve Clarke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 19:51:34 +0000

HELP!

I've attempted to connect to three sites that were supposed to 
contain the archives to this mailing list.  Can anyone point me to an 
active server that contains the mailing list archives?

Here's the problem that I'm looking for the solution to:

When I attempt to connect to our ftp server (v2.4.2b11), I enter a 
username (or ftp) and immediately get the following message:

Connected to nitro.
220 nitro.avalon.nf.ca FTP server (Version wu-2.4.2-academ[BETA-11](1)
Fri Jan 17 17:13:53 EST 1997) ready.
Name (nitro:root): ftp
421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection Login
failed.
No control connection for command: Transport endpoint is not 
connected
ftp> 

Can someone tell me what this error message means - it will greatly 
help me in solving the problem if I can find out what the heck a 
control connection is, and what a transport endpoint is.

Thanks for any help you can provide me.  My FTP server is down and I 
have almost a thousand members depending on it!

Sorry for jumping onto the list and posting what may be a simple 
question, but I've looked high and low for answers on many other 
mailing lists, newsgroups, and WWW search engines with no success.

---
Steve Clarke
System Administrator,
Avalon InterConnect
A Division of Avalon
Software & Computers Inc.
http://www.avalon.nf.ca
Telephone: (709) 739-6153
Email: [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Bill Campbell)
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 15:41:30 -0800 (PST)

>active server that contains the mailing list archives?
We have them going back a ways on ftp.celestial.com:
1994/06/22          934  pub/mailing-lists/9406/wa-wu-ftpd-announce.gz
1994/06/22          919  pub/mailing-lists/9406/wa-wu-ftpd.gz
1994/06/30       24,126  pub/mailing-lists/9406/wu-ftpd.gz
1994/07/29       69,865  pub/mailing-lists/9407/wu-ftpd.gz
1994/08/30       74,469  pub/mailing-lists/9408/wu-ftpd.gz
1994/09/30       47,845  pub/mailing-lists/9409/wu-ftpd.gz
1994/10/31       52,895  pub/mailing-lists/9410/wu-ftpd.gz
1994/11/30       97,478  pub/mailing-lists/9411/wu-ftpd.gz
1994/12/31      414,086  pub/mailing-lists/9412/wu-ftpd
1995/01/31      123,585  pub/mailing-lists/9501/wu-ftpd.gz
1995/02/28      145,087  pub/mailing-lists/9502/wu-ftpd.gz
1995/03/31      182,886  pub/mailing-lists/9503/wu-ftpd.gz
1995/04/28       59,130  pub/mailing-lists/9504/wu-ftpd.gz
1995/05/31      142,362  pub/mailing-lists/9505/wu-ftpd.gz
1995/06/30       94,414  pub/mailing-lists/9506/wu-ftpd.gz
1995/07/31      120,909  pub/mailing-lists/9507/wu-ftpd.gz
1995/08/31      107,599  pub/mailing-lists/9508/wu-ftpd.gz
1995/09/30      140,054  pub/mailing-lists/9509/wu-ftpd.gz
1995/10/31      120,350  pub/mailing-lists/9510/wu-ftpd.gz
1995/11/30       89,230  pub/mailing-lists/9511/wu-ftpd.gz
1995/12/29       74,193  pub/mailing-lists/9512/wu-ftpd.gz
1996/01/31      117,149  pub/mailing-lists/9601/wu-ftpd.gz
1996/02/29      112,500  pub/mailing-lists/9602/wu-ftpd.gz
1996/03/31      102,993  pub/mailing-lists/9603/wu-ftpd.gz
1996/04/30      138,994  pub/mailing-lists/9604/wu-ftpd.gz
1996/05/31      459,625  pub/mailing-lists/9605/wu-ftpd
1996/06/30      600,960  pub/mailing-lists/9606/wu-ftpd
1996/07/31      674,955  pub/mailing-lists/9607/wu-ftpd
1996/08/31      502,698  pub/mailing-lists/9608/wu-ftpd
1996/09/30      473,712  pub/mailing-lists/9609/wu-ftpd
1996/10/31      155,652  pub/mailing-lists/9610/wu-ftpd.gz
1996/11/29      517,182  pub/mailing-lists/9611/wu-ftpd
1996/12/31      755,181  pub/mailing-lists/9612/wu-ftpd
1997/01/27      485,727  pub/mailing-lists/9701/wu-ftpd

Bill
--
INTERNET:   [email-masked]  Bill Campbell; Celestial Systems, Inc.
UUCP:               camco!bill  PO Box 820; 2835 82nd Avenue S.E. S-100
FAX:            (206) 232-9186  Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820; (206) 236-1676
URL: http://www.celestial.com/

Government spending?  I don't know what it's all about.  I don't know
any more about this thing than an economist does, and, God knows, he
doesn't know much.
		-- Will Rogers