Subject: RE: ftpaccess - what directory should it be in? I can't getany changes to work!

From: "Roger A. Hanke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 12:51:53 -0500

Michael Farace wrote:
> 
> I cannot get *any* part of the ftpaccess file working.  I have tried
> banner and message commands, and deny commands - nothing works.  The
> ftpaccess file is world read-able, so that should not be a problem.
> 
> Any other ideas?

It sounded as if you hadnt checked exactly where your build stored your
configuration files. Have you tried running the chkconfig program that is
produced along with ftpd that will tell you where each of your config
files like ftpaccess is being looked for?

Roger Hanke

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 17:13:23 -0500 (EST)

You can also run the command strings on the ftpd executable and look
for the path to the access file. This will show what the executable
thinks the path to the file is.

Doug

-- 
Doug Courtney
[email-masked]
(908)949-3597

---

From: Michael Farace <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 09:24:17 -0800

> files like ftpaccess is being looked for?

I have run ckconfig, and it verifies the location of my files.

Here is what I have found works:
/etc/ftphosts - Changes to this file works
/etc/ftpusers - Changes here take place right away

However, in /etc/ftpaccess, so far the only thing that works is the
'classes' command.  I know this because when I make a change, and run
ftpwho, it lists the classes I have defined in /etc/ftpaccess. 

ftpwho itself though, while it does correctly show a list of classes,
doesn't show me how many people are logged in under each class, it just
shows 0 users all the time.

Any More clues -?  ?????

Thanks,
Mike Farace

---

From: Norbert Crettol <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 09:52:04 +0100 (GMT+0100)

> shows 0 users all the time.

I've compiled and installed wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-11 with very little 
problems. I've setup a guestgroup in /etc/ftpaccess, with chroot 
for real users, different DELETE, UPDATE and RENAME rights for real users 
and anonymous, and all works great. Even ftp who tells me how many users 
are in, in which classes.

Maybe am I not the firs to ask you this question : did you start the 
daemon with the -a option ? It is required to use ftpaccess.

Norbert
 
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Omedia sa              Av. de la Gare 38          CH1920 Martigny
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Norbert Crettol                                 Internet services
[email-masked]                                  connexions, conseil
++41 27 722 04 50     http://www.omedia.ch        creation de Web
-----------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Michael Farace <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 08:54:16 -0800

> daemon with the -a option ? It is required to use ftpaccess.

Yes, I am running with -a.  The ftpaccess in the example directory isn't
enough.  Is it possible for someone to e-mail me their ftpaccess flle
directly???  Please?

Also, one of the other people who responded mentioned about having to
create a 'pids' sub-directory, under the directory where the ftpaccess
file is. Is this correct?  Is this different then the file that the
'ckconfig' program checks for?  But then it looks like it is checking
for a file, not a directory...

Would it be a problem to put on this list, or in the FAQ actual working
examples from someone's site the ftpaccess, ftphosts, etc files?  I
don't see how this would be a security issue...

Any and all help greatly appreciated,

Also, if anyone is in the San Jose, CA area, Lobster lunch on me if you
can sit down and explain this too me! I am dead serious!!

Michael Farace
408-433-4453 wk

---

From: Paradise Cowgirl <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 09:56:07 -0800 (PST)

Is this list still being archived at: ftp.sterling.com? I can't seem to
get my browser to read in the table of contents
(http://ftp.sterling.com/wuftpd/mail-archive/wuftpd/) past:

automate Homer W. Smith 
          Re: automate Boyd Johnson 
          Re: automate Koos van den Hout _U nix and we all_ 
          Re: automate Bob Luckin 
     <a href="2425.html"

(I'm running out of memory I supect )-:

Also, when I tried to contact [email-masked] (as listed in
the FAQ), my mailed returned with the "user unknown" message.

Any help regarding the archives and/or a contact point of the maintainer
would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Cheers,
Darci Chapman ([email-masked])
--
            "the days run away like horses over the hills"
	               To the motion be true.
          Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything.

---

From: Bob Luckin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 97 14:50:43 CST

Darci Chapman wrote :-
> (I'm running out of memory I supect )-:

I just tried, and got the identical problem.  None of the links I tried
on that page would return any data, either, so I think it is a problem at
the server end, not yours.  Looks like the table of contents has been
built incorrectly.

I believe the list is also archived at ftp.celestial.com, in
   pub/mailing-lists/yymm/wu-ftp...
where "yymm" are digits for the year and month.

I hope this helps !

Cheers, Bob
-- 
Bob Luckin      [email-masked]      "Rats live on no evil planet"

---

From: Kent Landfield <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 18:13:34 +73800 (CST)

Darci Chapman wrote :-
> (http://ftp.sterling.com/wuftpd/mail-archive/wuftpd/) past:

I left Sterling last June for consulting's greener pastures and it 
appears they have finally dropped my mail forwarding and have things 
on autopilot.  As I was the person who was babysitting those systems...

I have built a new hypermail archive on my site and it's working like 
a champ. I have a seemingly complete copy of the list traffic that is 
even more complete than what I had on Sterling. (Thanks Bill.)  The 
archive starts in June 1994 and goes through the present.  I have 
created the hypermail version of the archive and have put a search 
engine behind it.  You can now do full text searches against the 
archive.  Here's the info.

The hypermail WU-FTPD Mail archives are at 

        http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/mail-archive
        
and are accessible via http and ftp.  A search page is at

        http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/mail-archive/search.html

although a search form is also on the main page.  I have sent Koos a request 
to change the FAQ. I'll send Sterling a request to clean it up or mirror mine
as they are with the Moderators archive.

Enjoy.

-- 
Kent Landfield                        Phone: 1-817-545-2502             
The Landfield Group                   FAX:   1-817-545-7650             
Email: [email-masked]             http://www.landfield.com/
Please send comp.sources.misc related mail to [email-masked].
Search the Usenet Hypertext FAQ Archive at http://www.landfield.com/faqs/