Subject: Logging format for wu-ftpd

From: Forrest Aldrich <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 17:22:05 -0500 (EST)

I had suggested to Stan that we optionally be able to configure
wu-ftpd to log in Common Log Format.  I think they are considering this
for a future revision.  However, I wonder if someone might have worked
with this previously.  It would be useful to have, and to be able to use
the myriad of reporting tools available against a CLF logfile.

Would this be difficult/realistic to implement?

Thanks...

---

From: Alain Magloire <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 18:24:36 -0500 (EST)

> Would this be difficult/realistic to implement?

At first glance, I'd say no.. then again ;-)
The way you log in xferlog is straight forward

xferlog = open(..)

...

if (xferlog) {

  sprintf(msg, ...)
  
  write(xferlog ,msg..)
}

...

it should be possible to modify the sprintf() to correspond to CLF

Unfortunatly I don't know much about CLF, any docs available ?

-- 
Bonne anne'e, alain

---

From: Forrest Aldrich <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 12:14:34 -0500 (EST)

I don't have any docs on the CLF format, but another question is if 
we could do this, would there be a way (say with Perl) to convert older
xferlog-formatted logs to CLF format...?

Forrest