Subject: Beta-11 open tickets

From: [email-masked] (Stan Barber)
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 1997 04:07:17 -0600 (CST)

This is a list of open tickets reporting problems or supplying fixes for
wu-ftpd 2.4.2-academ-beta-11. These form the basis for what is in beta-12.
That does not mean that all these things have been addressed in beta-12, but
this is the base from which beta-12's changes were derived. Anything not in
beta-12 was either not reproducable (which may be the case for OSes to which
I don't have access), was determined (by me) to change the functionality
of the software enough to make it more of a candidate for release 2.5, or was
really caused by another problem and was addressed by fixing that problem.

Anyway, if those who reported these problems have any updates, please
send the to "[email-masked]" and be sure to put a string that looks
like this in the subject line: [ACADEM-SW-SUPPORT #XXX]
Please be SURE to substitute the ticket number for the XXX!!!!!!

I am testing beta 12 on the operating systems prior to release. I don't have
access to anything else for testing. 

Solaris 2.4 (Sparc/SparcComplier and x86/gcc) 
SunOS 4.1.4 (Sparc/SunOS cc)
BSD/OS 1.1 and 2.1
NetBSD 1.2
FreeBSD 2.1.5
Linux 1.3.X and 2.0 (and maybe 1.2.X)
Unixware 2.1.1
SCO OpenServer Release 5

Ticket	Reported by	          Summary

  5  [email-masked]      Uploads are not getting permissions/ownership
                                  set correctly on Linux 1.2.13

  7  [email-masked]       The message function does not work on login
                                  or cwd=* on IRIX 5.3

  9  [email-masked] AIX 4.1 PowerPC ftpcmd.y does not
                                  work. strdup and realpath exist and are
				  not compatible with the ones on AIX

  11 [email-masked]        HP 10.01 modifications provided using gcc.

  12 [email-masked]            "425 Can't create data socket (0.0.0.0,20):
                                  Bad file number" error. No OS information
                                  provided in report

  16  [email-masked]  Linux 1.2.13 -- FTPWHO and COUNT don't work.

  17  [email-masked]       ls problems only when login as anonymous
                                  with full email address format. BSDI 2.1

  18  [email-masked]   Linux 2.0 dirent definition problems with
                                  beta-11.
      Also reported by others.

  19  [email-masked]            chmod 0 does not work and server does not
                                  reply

  23 [email-masked]      Beta-11 won't compile on some release of 
                                  OSF/1. "struct timeval" is not defined
                                  in the headers.

  28 [email-masked]     There are a number of occurances in ftpcmd.y
                                  where a variable will be set to null 
                                  causing a core dump on some systems (like
                                  Solaris 2.5).
     Also reported by others

  33 [email-masked]          HP/UX 10.10 already has a realpath.

  34 [email-masked]  IRIX 6.2 fixes offered (but never sent)

  39 [email-masked]                HP/UX 9.0.5. Possible too many frees being
                                  called.

  40 [email-masked]             possible problem with "nodirs" OS unknown.
 
  49 [email-masked]  Modification for Digital Unix 3.2 supplied
                                  This also may fix the problems in 23.

  55  [email-masked]        Problems with popen and Solaris 2.5

  57  [email-masked]                Unixware 2.1 fixes provided. Need to see
                                  if they can be modified to continue to
                                  support older Unixware.

  60  [email-masked]                Updates for ftpd.8 manual page

  61  [email-masked]   Null output problem in ASCII mode.
 
  62  [email-masked]                Suggested change to not log passwords
                                  in log file when doing debugging.

  64  [email-masked]         chmod behavies differently than it did in
                                  2.4 (guestgroups can't use it in the beta)

  65 [email-masked]                 paths.h is still referred to in the config
                                  files. Restart does not work when doing a
                                  put.

  70 [email-masked]                 There can be overflow problems with chmod 
                                  and umask. Fix included.

  72 [email-masked]                 The first abort of a file transfer works,
                                  but subsequent ones fail. A signal handler
                                  is not being reset. Fix included.

  75 [email-masked]           

  76 [email-masked]                 stderr output from invoking ftpd from inetd
                                  needs to become syslog instead. Fix 
                                  included.

  78 [email-masked] Lots of core dumps in Solaris 2.5 when 
                                  doing a socket call. 

  79 [email-masked]                 Unixware 2.1 support getrlimit... 

  80 [email-masked]                 Fixes for fnmatch.c

  81 [email-masked]                 documentation typos

  82 [email-masked]         bug in beta-10 acl processing (don't know
                                  if this is relevant to beta-11)

  83 [email-masked]                 More manual page fixes
 
  85 [email-masked]                 some files are not closed when they should be
                                  fixes included.

  86 [email-masked]                 Some changes in error messages when
                                  some setup files are not found.

  87 [email-masked]                 when virtual is defined, there are two
                                  sets of code in beta-11 that do it and only
                                  the second one is actually used. There are
                                  some logging problems with this as well. 
                                  Fixes included.

  95  [email-masked]            -a option not working on some release of
                                  Linux.
                                  
  97  [email-masked]          Large bug in old virtual code. Illegal
                                  strcpy.

  98  [email-masked]                T_ASCII processing from ftpconversions is
                                  inverse of what it should be. Fix included.

  100 [email-masked]                "ftp" and "anonymous" are not the same
                                   and they should be.

  101 [email-masked]                passwd-check is not quite doing what it
                                  says it is supposed to do with "user@"

  103 [email-masked]    Patches for A/UX 3.X

  104 [email-masked]    Possible issue when there is a null password
                                  on a regular user account.

  106 [email-masked]                Large number of memory leaks in ftpcmd.y

  108 [email-masked]                Possible issues with SITE NEWER and 
                                  SITE MINFO.

  109 [email-masked]                Fixes to make shutdown work correctly for
                                  new connections attempts after shutdown has
                                  been reached.

  110 [email-masked]                Concern over case significance in regular
                                  expressions.

  111 [email-masked]                ftpcount bugs fixed.

  112 [email-masked]   Linux 2.0 problems with virtual servers.

  113 [email-masked]                Suggesting the use of getopt in ftpd.

  117 [email-masked]                Issues in using the define USE_A_RFC931 and
                                  some configuration/build issues.

  120 [email-masked]                Changes to ftpd to not guest users in 
                                  xferlog.

  125 [email-masked]              vers.c dependency issue

  126 [email-masked]                Suggested extension of the -a option to
                                  add a file argument for the location
                                  of the ftpaccess file.

  130 [email-masked]                Possible fixes for nodirs bug reported in 40.

  131 [email-masked]                Fixes to check the README file before 
                                  advising the user to check it.

  133 [email-masked]                Fixes for autogroup.

  139 [email-masked]                 Security problems involving signal handling,
                                  urgent data handling and ABORT processing.

  142 [email-masked]               Password length dependency affects 
                                  performance of ls... HP/UX 9.X

  144 [email-masked]   upload performance problems. Suggested fix.

---

From: [email-masked] (Gunnar Ingvi Thorisson)
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 1997 10:58:39 +0000 (GMT)

> wu-ftpd 2.4.2-academ-beta-11. These form the basis for what is in beta-12.

Is this beta currently available? I couldn't find it in
ftp.academ.com:/pub/wu.ftpd/private, any ideas where it is available?

Thank you very much,
a reply would be greatly appreciated.

Gunnar Ingvi Thorisson
System and network administrator
Iceland Software Inc.
CODA Financials Iceland
[email-masked], [email-masked].

---

From: "Karl O. Pinc" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 18:51:35 -0600

I just checked my system and found a bunch of (3) ftp servers that are
connected to clients that I know have disconnected from the internet.
They've been sitting around for a least a few hours and probably more like
14 or 16 hours.

What's going on here?  Is this a bug in wu-ftpd (related to beta-11 ticket
72?), a misconfiguration on my part, a bug in my OS or what?

ps output:
 9635  ?  S    0:00 ftpd: pool14-002.wwa.com: rima: STOR pntg.JPG\015\012
 9653  ?  S    0:00 ftpd: pool14-002.wwa.com: rima: STOR pntg.JPG\015\012
11255  ?  S    0:00 ftpd: pool15-026.wwa.com: rima: STOR world.gif\015\012

[root@arthur /root]# netstat -t
Active Internet connections (w/o servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State
tcp        0      0 arthur.meme.com:ftp     pool14-002.wwa.com:1033 ESTABLISHED
tcp        0      0 arthur.meme.com:ftp     pool14-002.wwa.com:1041 ESTABLISHED
tcp        0      0 arthur.meme.com:ftp     pool15-026.wwa.com:1256 ESTABLISHED
tcp        0      0 204.128.247.210:ftp     giasdl01.vsnl.net.:4758 ESTABLISHED
tcp        0      0 arthur.meme.com:20      pool14-002.wwa.com:1038 ESTABLISHED
tcp        0      0 arthur.meme.com:20      pool14-002.wwa.com:1046 ESTABLISHED
tcp        0      0 arthur.meme.com:20      pool15-026.wwa.com:1261 ESTABLISHED
tcp        1      0 204.128.247.210:20      giasdl01.vsnl.net.:4787 TIME_WAIT
tcp        1      0 204.128.247.210:20      giasdl01.vsnl.net.:4816 TIME_WAIT

My ftpaccess file has nothing in it that changes any sort of timeout value
and I've timed out myself at 400 seconds before.

I'm running wu-ftpd 2.4.2 beta 11 (with redhat patches) on Linux kernel 2.0.18.

Karl

May the Legos (TM) always be swept from your path in the night.