Subject: Guest Account?

From: Larry Goodwin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 97 09:03:23 -0800

I have guest accounts working through some initial testing. I was 
wondering what role the ~ftp/etc/passwd and ~ftp/etc/group play. The 
Howto guest instructions tells you to do it and it works fine. However, 
while setting up the guests I left these files out and things seemed to 
work fine with out them. The Nutshell book does not mention it.

Thanks
Larry

Larry Goodwin
Mgr AppleSoft Engineering Services Office: 408-974-0520          
Apple Computer                     Pager:  800-539-7517 Pager w/voice mail
1 Infinite Loop                    Pager:  [email-masked]
Cupertino, CA 95014

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 1997 11:29:41 -0600 (CST)

They show actual user names instead of numbers in the ls listings.  You
can do without them just fine if you don't care about the names in ls. 

   -- Michael    ([email-masked])