Subject: Re[3]: SecurID patches anyone?

From: "Karl O. Pinc" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 1997 10:11:16 -0600

>from the quill of "Karl O. Pinc" <[email-masked]> on scroll
><l03010d02aef97bbc4887@[198.40.27.80]>
>> Hate to jump in at this late hour, but I think the right way to do it is
>> to
>> make a secure id PAM (Pluggable Authentication Modules) module.  There
>> might even already be one.  That way any program which authenticates with
>> PAM can use the Secure id authentication mechanisim.  Redhat has patched
>> wu-ftpd for PAM.  You can can track down the PAM info through the Redhat
>> site, http://www.redhat.com.
>
>I agree wholeheartedly, but...
>
>> Of course this won't do you any immediate good if you're OS dosen't use
>> pam.
>
>Bing bing bing.
>
>>   I guess the big vendors are due out with it "in the next release".
>
>Actually Solaris has it and has had it for a while.  I was trying to find
>out how to build a PAM module for it 6 months ago.  Nobody at Sun would
>help.

There's quite a Linux group out there doing pam.  Redhat has a mailing list
devoted to pam development.  ([email-masked] subject of
"subscribe")  All the major modules seem to be working and pam is part of
Redhat's Linux distribution.  There's even supposed to be documentation.
Pam _would_ still get you Secure-id in ftpd, even if ftpd was the only pam
aware application on your system, for probably more work.  On the other
hand, sooner or later you'll go to pam anyway.

Karl

May the Legos (TM) always be swept from your path in the night.

---

From: "C. R. Oldham" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 1997 09:58:21 -0700 ()

On Thu, 9 Jan 1997, Karl O. Pinc wrote:

[ actually I'm not sure if Karl wrote this--it appears the original
  attribution was lost.  Apologies. ]

> >out how to build a PAM module for it 6 months ago.  Nobody at Sun would

If Solaris has PAM support can anyone direct me to where I can find more
information about it?  Thanks.

--
| Charles R. (C. R.) Oldham     |         NCA Commission on Schools  |
| [email-masked]               |  Arizona St. Univ., PO Box 873011  |
| V:602/965-8700 F:602/965-9423 |________      Tempe, AZ 85287-3011_ |
| "I like it!"--Citizen G'Kar, Babylon 5 | #include <disclaimer.h>X_>|