Subject: Re: Netscape Browser

From: Bob Luckin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 97 12:16:39 CST

Jim Bird said :-
> I am having trouble connecting to my ftp site from a Netscape browser. 
> My syslog is reporting an "exit on signal 11" right after passive mode
> is turned on.  Any help would be appreciated.

If you're running a Solaris 2 server, check that the permissions on
/dev/tcp under the anonymous FTP root (ie. ~ftp/dev/tcp) are set up
with world write rights.  For some reason, this is required on Solaris 2
before passive connections will work.

For example :-

crw-rw-rw-   1 root     other     11, 42 Mar 13  1996 tcp

Hope this helps...

Cheers, Bob
-- 
Bob Luckin
Texas Instruments
P O Box 650311, MS 3937      [email-masked]
Dallas, TX 75265   U.S.A.    Tel: (972) 917 5081    Fax: (972) 917 7966

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 1997 15:32:27 -0500 (EST)

I had a similar problem, but I can't be sure it had the signal 11
symptoms. Anyway my problem was the firewall was not open to allow
the upper numbered ports permission into my server. So as soon as
PASV mode was entered things went South for me. As soon as the ports
were opened up things were fine.

Doug

-- 
Doug Courtney
[email-masked]
(908)949-3597