Subject: problems with ftpaccess

From: "M." <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 1997 16:10:30 -0500 (EST)

after some recently and not so recently discovered security problems with 
our wu-ftp 2.4 (which was installed in good 'ol 1994 =)  i downloaded 
the newest academ beta 11, made a couple of recommended patches, built and
installed it.  it works fine except that it doesn't seem to be honoring
our ftpaccess file.  i've checked and double checked the '#includes'.
i went so far as to eliminate all of the '#ifdefs' execept the ones we need.

the bin/ckconfig program that it comes with finds ftpaccess in the 
correct place, but messages and rules aren't applied.  is there something
obvious that im missing?  ( running SunOS xxxxxx 4.1.3 12 sun4m ).

help is appreciated .  please CC responses back to me as im not 
subscribed at the moment, but hopefully soon will be.

//Michael.

 .   +      . ^   
,      \|/    michael jastremski ( [email-masked] 
   *  -[ ]-   http://newsroom.temple.edu ) http://thunder.temple.edu/~mjastrem
 .     /|\    planet temple university // philadelphia, USA
   0       .

---

From: Mike Sabbota <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 1997 16:59:07 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 20 Jan 1997, M. wrote:

I think it is required that you launch the server with a -a flag to have 
it use the ftpaccess file.  I believe that flag was reversed in earlier 
versions.  

--Mike

> Date: Mon, 20 Jan 1997 16:10:30 -0500 (EST)
> From: M. <[email-masked]>
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: problems with ftpaccess
> 
> 

...........................................................................
Mike Sabbota 			     URL:   http://www.rust.net/~mike/ 
System Administrator	             Email: [email-masked]
RustNet Internet Services, Inc.      Voice: (810) 642-2276 ext.14
http://www.rust.net		     Fax:   (810) 642-3676
...........................................................................
	        == PLEASE USE FOR QUICKEST REPONSES ==    
Sales: [email-masked]			   Auto-Responder: [email-masked] 
Billing: [email-masked]                  Technical Support: [email-masked] 
...........................................................................

---

From: "M." <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 17:41:57 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 20 Jan 1997, Mike Sabbota wrote:

In followup to my question concerning a misbehaving daemon ..

Both :
	Mike Sabbota <[email-masked]>
	Geoff Terry Systems & Net supt 064 923677 <[email-masked]>

Advised me to use wu-ftpd's  '-a' option in inetd.conf , but that didn't
seem to be the problem, as we were already using that flag .

I was finally able to get the server to recognize our ftpaccess file,
but only after removing the directive to use tcp_wrappers .

ftp   stream  tcp  nowait  root    /usr/foo/tcpd  /usr/beer/ftpd  ftpd -a 
-- this worked previously, but failed with the newest version

ftp     stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/beer/ftpd  ftpd -a -l
-- works now

Now I have the following questions :

	1) why is the 'ftpd' argument necessary ?
	2) why won't it work with tcp_wrappers ?

The system is a 'SunOS chief 4.1.3 12 sun4m '.  The previous version
of wu-ftpd was three years old, 'wu-2.4(1) Fri Apr 15 11:11:14 EDT 1994', 
the current is 'wu-2.4.2-academ[BETA-12](1)' .

Could this have something to do with libraries ? 

guidance is appreciated ,,

//Michael.

ps:  please CC me as i dont remember resubscribing, thanks .

 .   +      . ^

---

From: [email-masked] (Jay Schuster)
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 18:18:43 -0500 (EST)

> 	1) why is the 'ftpd' argument necessary ?

Because inetd expects separate fields for the pathname (/usr/beer/ftpd)
and argv[0] (ftpd).

> 	2) why won't it work with tcp_wrappers ?

You are using tcpd incorrectly.  The line with tcpd should have been:
    ftp   stream  tcp  nowait  root    /usr/foo/tcpd  /usr/beer/ftpd  -a 
tcpd uses its first argument as both the file name and argv[0].
-- 
Jay Schuster <[email-masked]>
The People's Computer Company	`Revolutionary Programming'

---

From: Navid Atoofi <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 10:43:07 -0500 (EST)

Hello:

I encounter the exact same problem on a solaris 2.5.1 machine.
I can not get message, banner or anything else to work on  beta-11

ftp     stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  in.ftpd -a -l
does not work. anyone? any idea?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  Navid Atoofi					[email-masked]
  Manager of Computer Systems(ECE)		Tel: (617) 373-5574
  401 Dana Research Center			Fax: (617) 373-8970
  Northeastern University 
  Boston, Ma  02115