Subject: /dev/

From: Alan Halachmi <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 1997 11:28:06 -0600 (CST)

I seem to be hgaving a problem copying the tcp and zero files to my 
user's dev directory... Don't I just say:
cp /dev/tcp my/users/dev
cp /dev/zero my/users/dev

What am I doing wrong?
[email-masked]

---

From: Martin Lichtin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 97 18:59:41 +0100

> cp /dev/zero my/users/dev

Try re-creating the devices with mknod(8) or use GNU tar which can
handle device files.

---

From: Michael Halls <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 1997 13:37:23 -0700 (MST)

> [email-masked]
  /dev/zero and /dev/tcp are special files.  Copying /dev/zero like a
regular file will fill your file system with a file containing all zeros.
Instead of trying to remember how to user mknod to create these special
files just tar them up and un-tar them in the right place.  Tar seems to
handle them pretty well.

---

From: Theo Van Dinter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 1997 20:17:25 -0500 (EST)

> regular file will fill your file system with a file containing all zeros.

Just to note, I use the cp from GNU Fileutils, which allows you to copy
special files (it acts as if it's limited to root who can do it though.) 
"cp -a /dev/null .' successfully put a copy of null in my current
directory.  mknod is probably still better though.

--
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Theo Van Dinter				 www: http://www.kluge.net/~felicity/
Vice-President WPI Lens and Lights	       Active Member in SocComm Films
Member of WPI ACM			       AME for the Masque C-Term Show

           Are the taglines too long, or is the tagline-space to sh
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------