Subject: Beta-11 Logging Problem

From: "Fred B. Ringel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 1997 09:52:12 -0800

Hi all-

        I just joined this list so excuse me if this question has been
asked. I tried accessing the HTML archives w/o success (and they do not seem
up to date in any event).

        I have been using wu.ftpd-2.4 with several security patches for some
time and its paths have it set to log transfers to xferlog in /var/adm.

        When building beta-11, I went into the pathnames.h file (i believe)
and set the logging section (both entries) to /var/adm/xferlog and compiled
it on my Linux 1.2.13 aout box with problem. (It has the recent patches for
"sigfix.o" which has been floating around on Bugtraq). The ftp access also
has the command set for logging guest and real, inbound and outbound
transfers. Nevertheless, the compile, place the binary where it should be ,
HUP inetd and then nothing gets logged to /var/adm/xferlog. No real
transfers no guest transfers. No real commands. They *do* get logged via
syslog to my /var/adm/message file, but that's not what I want. The old
binary logged to both messages and xferlog.

        What did I do wrong? How to I get the ftpd daemon to start logging
again. I really do no want to have to go back to 2.4 because I'd like to
next set up virtual ftp sites, but need to get this going first.

        Any suggestions for any gurus out they would be gratefully appreciated.

        Fred Ringel
~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~*
~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~
	Fred B. Ringel             	Voice:914-478-2885	[email-masked]
	Rivertown.Net.		Fax: 914-478-2885		[email-masked] 
	Hastings, New York             http://www.rivertown.net
~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~*
~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~