Subject: Re: Solaris 2.5.1 & 'dir'

From: Oliver Christ <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 12:28:59 +0100 (MET)

I had the same problem here, and played around with access permissions
of the libs until ls -lga/dir showed what I wanted. It appears that the
libs must be ugo+rx, although the dirs (~ftp/usr, ~ftp/usr/lib, ...)
may be 111. My ~ftp/usr/lib setup is the following: 

# dir usr/lib
total 3282
d--x--x--x   3 bin         1024 Dec 10 18:47 .
d--x--x--x   5 bin          512 Dec 10 12:50 ..
-r-xr-xr-x   1 bin        24576 Dec 10 13:30 ld.so
-r-xr-xr-x   1 bin       107532 Dec 10 12:55 ld.so.1
lrwxrwxrwx   1 other          9 Dec 10 13:31 libc.so -> libc.so.1
-r-xr-xr-x   1 bin       664872 Dec 10 13:30 libc.so.1
lrwxrwxrwx   1 other         10 Dec 10 13:31 libdl.so -> libdl.so.1
-r-xr-xr-x   1 bin         2568 Dec 10 13:30 libdl.so.1
lrwxrwxrwx   1 other         12 Dec 10 13:31 libintl.so -> libintl.so.1
-r-xr-xr-x   1 bin        15304 Dec 10 13:30 libintl.so.1
lrwxrwxrwx   1 other         10 Dec 10 18:47 libmp.so -> libmp.so.1
-r-xr-xr-x   1 other      15720 Dec 10 18:47 libmp.so.1
lrwxrwxrwx   1 other         11 Dec 10 13:31 libnsl.so -> libnsl.so.1
-r-xr-xr-x   1 bin       569928 Dec 10 13:30 libnsl.so.1
lrwxrwxrwx   1 other         11 Dec 10 18:32 libsec.so -> libsec.so.1
-r-xr-xr-x   1 bin        12888 Dec 10 18:29 libsec.so.1
lrwxrwxrwx   1 other         14 Dec 10 13:31 libsocket.so -> libsocket.so.1
-r-xr-xr-x   1 bin        68780 Dec 10 13:30 libsocket.so.1
lrwxrwxrwx   1 other          9 Dec 10 13:31 libw.so -> libw.so.1
-r-xr-xr-x   1 bin        39340 Dec 10 13:30 libw.so.1
d--x--x--x  41 bin         1024 May  8  1996 locale
lrwxrwxrwx   1 other         12 Dec 10 13:31 nss_dns.so -> nss_dns.so.1
-r-xr-xr-x   1 bin        10804 Dec 10 12:38 nss_dns.so.1
lrwxrwxrwx   1 other         14 Dec 10 13:31 nss_files.so -> nss_files.so.1
-r-xr-xr-x   1 bin        21028 Dec 10 12:38 nss_files.so.1
lrwxrwxrwx   1 other         12 Dec 10 13:31 nss_nis.so -> nss_nis.so.1
-r-xr-xr-x   1 bin        24408 Dec 10 12:38 nss_nis.so.1
lrwxrwxrwx   1 other         16 Dec 10 13:31 nss_nisplus.so -> nss_nisplus.so.1
-r-xr-xr-x   1 bin        28920 Dec 10 12:38 nss_nisplus.so.1
lrwxrwxrwx   1 other         12 Dec 10 13:31 straddr.so -> straddr.so.2
-r-xr-xr-x   1 bin         9316 Dec 10 13:31 straddr.so.2

# dir dev
total 4
d--x--x--x   2 bin          512 Dec 10 18:14 .
dr-xr-xr-x   7 root         512 Dec 10 16:47 ..
crw-r--r--   1 other     13,  2 Dec 10 18:13 null
crw-r--r--   1 other     11, 42 Dec 10 18:14 tcp
crw-r--r--   1 other    105,  1 Dec 10 18:14 ticotsord
crw-r--r--   1 other     11, 41 Dec 10 18:14 udp
crw-r--r--   1 other     13, 12 Dec 10 18:14 zero

and that setup seems to work. 

On Solaris, the devices seem only to work on disks which are mounted
suid, which I didn't know, some gurus may be able to explain...

I also copied the whole of /usr/lib/locale to ~ftp/lib/locale, but
I'm not sure whether this may be a reason for ls -l not to work. 
Additionally, ~ftp/etc/group and ~ftp/etc/passwd must exist. 

Cheers, 

  Oli
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oliver Christ
Institute of Natural Language Processing, University of Stuttgart, Germany
[email-masked]
-----------  WWW: http://www.ims.uni-stuttgart.de/ -----------------------

---

From: Bob Luckin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 96 12:32:52 CST

Oli Christ said :-

> may be 111. My ~ftp/usr/lib setup is the following: 
...
[much deleted for brevity...]
...
> and that setup seems to work. 

I think you'll find that you need the dev/tcp file set to 666 in order
for passive (PASV) connections to work on Solaris 2.  I had this problem
with my setup and found the solution in the FAQ :-

      11. Normal ftp clients work, Netscape ftp's fail. So, passive mode
          doesn't work.

          Apparantly ftpd needs write permission on ~ftp/dev/tcp in order to
          operate correctly in passive mode (Solaris). Set it to the same
          mode as permissions shown by ls -lL /dev/tcp, being 666. Also read
          the Solaris man page for ftpd for Solaris-specific information.
          Changed from previous versions

          Fix:

          cd ~ftp/dev
          chmod 666 tcp

          Thanks to Simon Rakov ([email-masked]) for
          this one.

And thanks to Koos van den Hout for maintaining the FAQ, too...

Funnily enough, I was seeing the problem with webget - Netscape was working
OK (so perhaps it no longer uses passive connections ?), but clearly there
are products out there do use passive connections and won't work unless these
permissions are set.  I simply made sure all my permissions in ~ftp/dev
matched the "real" ones...

Cheers, Bob