Subject: Re: your mail

From: "Matthew B. Thomson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 13:29:08 -0500

Running wu-ftpd 2.4 on NeXTSTEP 3.3, using the "guest" mode FTP, that
chroot's the directory to the login directory, ls is not returning a full
directory listing.
What happens is this:
typing "ls" returns the list of files and directories.
typing "dir" returns nothing
typing "ls -al" returns nothing

Basically, I cannot retrieve any extended information such as owner, size
and date.

I am aware that library requirements probably exist, so I'm wondering if
anyone has done this under NeXT?  The ldd/truss commands do not seem to
have a NeXT equivalent for determining which libraries ls requires, nor
does NeXT's ftpd man indicate which libraries are required. Neither the
wu-ftpd FAQ, or the guest-howto make any mention of any special NeXT
requirements.  If anyone has done this under NeXT, I would appreciate any
suggestions.

Thank You Much,
Matthew

----------------------------------------------------------------
- Matthew B. Thomson                                           -
- Network Support Specialist                                   -
- Cleveland State University Information Services & Technology -
- [email-masked]  -  216-687-9217  -  Fax 216-687-9200  -
----------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 20:40:01 -0600 (CST)

You need to fetch the guest howto below and go over the setup for 'ls' and
friends.

To long time list members, sorry for all the repetition of this standard
stuff; I keep hoping it will sink in.

   -- Michael

> typing "ls -al" returns nothing

This is the location for the latest wu-ftpd.  You can't see the
directory contents, but get the file anyway.  It's there.

ftp://ftp.academ.com/pub/wu-ftpd/private/wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-11.tar.Z

wu-ftpd FAQ:  http://www.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html
              OR
              send mail to [email-masked]
              with a subject line: send faq

guest howto:  ftp://ftp.fni.com/pub/wu-ftpd/guest-howto
              OR
              send mail to "[email-masked]"
              (immediate autoresponder; subject does not matter)

There are additional security references in the above docs.