Subject: dir doesn't work with anonymous ftp

From: Joe DeBattista <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 1996 08:12:38 -0800 (PST)

Greetings,
    I'm having a little problem getting the dir command to work, when
someone ftps in to "anonymous".  The "ls" command works fine, and there is
a link to "dir" in ~ftp/bin.  If the user accesses their own account, then
both "ls"  and "dir" work fine.  I'm using wu-2.4(1), running on an RS6000
under AIX 4.1.4. I'm guessing it's something simple, but I haven't been
able to spot it yet.   Any help will be greatly appreciated.

                                     Joe DeBattista
                                     UCSF, ITS Computing Facility
                          INTERNET:  [email-masked]

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 1996 22:39:52 -0600 (CST)

You need to get the guest howto and go over it carefully to set up 'ls'
and friends. 

   -- Michael

> able to spot it yet.   Any help will be greatly appreciated.

This is the location for the latest wu-ftpd.  You can't see the
directory contents, but get the file anyway.  It's there.

ftp://ftp.academ.com/pub/wu-ftpd/private/wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-11.tar.Z

wu-ftpd FAQ:  http://www.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html
              OR
              send mail to [email-masked]
              with a subject line: send faq

guest howto:  ftp://ftp.fni.com/pub/wu-ftpd/guest-howto
              OR
              send mail to "[email-masked]"
              (immediate autoresponder; subject does not matter)

There are additional security references in the above docs.