Subject: Re: WUFTPD not receiving TZ setting from inetd?

From: [email-masked] (William L. Sebok)
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 10:19:12 -0500 (EST)

Bob Luckin <[email-masked]> said:

> I don't use SGI boxes, but I did see a problem with timezones under
> Solaris 2 on my server - but only with anonymous users.
> 
> As far as I can tell, the localtime call used needs to access the timezone
> information on disk in order to make the adjustment.  Under Solaris, this
> resides in the /etc/default directory, and so a copy of this (just the
> relevant files, not the whole directory) needed to be put under the
> anonymous FTP root area, in order that FTP could find it when running
> anonymously.

As I have previously posted, this isn't quite true (at least for Solaris 2.4
and 2.5).  What is critical is that the file usr/share/lib/zoneinfo/US/Eastern
(or whatever file corresponds to the setting of TZ in /etc/default/init) be
present in your anonymous area. There need not be a copy of /etc/default/init
in your anonymous area.  The TZ information is passed to the ftpd daemon by
means of the TZ environment variable which is init gets at boot time from
/etc/default/init.  I am running fine without a /etc/default/init file or
/etc/default directory in my anonymous area.

Bill Sebok      Computer Software Manager, Univ. of Maryland, Astronomy
	Internet: [email-masked]	URL: http://www.astro.umd.edu/~wls/