Subject: wu-ftpd and the links...problem

From: Thierry LOUVEL <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 12:05:57 +0100

i have a "big" problem with links...

wu-ftpd 2.4.2b10 
linux 1.2.13

for all users's $HOME i would like to have:
 - a link to the public sofware (so they do one connection and
   can go in they $HOME and in the public path)
 - a "incoming" link tu upload ME what they whant

first here is my filesystem:
#df
/dev/hda2	/
/dev/hda1	/files
/dev/hdb1	/disk2

-> my users and ftp home are in /home/xxxx (on /dev/hda2)
-> my public directory is under /disk2/public (on /dev/hdb1)

so in a "one_user" i have:

#ls -l /home/one_user
lrwxrwxrwx	1	root	root	public   -> /disk2/public
lrwxrwxrwx	1	root	root	incoming -> /disk2/incoming
../.. 
and other files from the "one_user"

(1) the public directory:
    When the user go in the link "public" he can see all the files in it..ok
    When the user do "CDUP" or "CD .." he go the the /disk2 not the the
$HOME !!

(2) the Incoming directory: 
   When the user go the incoming tu upload all is ok i receive the file in
/disk2/incoming
   When the user do "CDUP" or "CD .." like the (1) he go to the /disk2 !

i have see in different files about wu-ftpd something about "ls" and the
static options
(my english is not good :-() so i get the GNU fileutils.3.13, compile the
"ls" in static
put it in /home/ftp/bin and in /bin. no success the problem is the same...

so these 2 questions:
  - How can i do this with the respect of the public's file on /dev/hdb1
and the users
    on /dev/hda2 (is it the problem ??)
  - How can i receice all the upload file in ONE directory for real user ?
    $HOME is $HOME, i don't whant to go in they house :-)

thank's a lots for any answer or sugestion, but please do it clearly and if
possible with examples..(again..i have a so poor english)

thank's

Thierry LOUVEL.

--
 L.C.I (Etudes, Conseils & Developpement Independant)
 Sous DOS/WINDOWS en SGBD, COMMUNICATION, RESEAU...
 TEL: (33)01.47.89.18.00    mailto:[email-masked]  
 FAX: (33)01.41.16.07.53    DATA/PPP: (33)01.41.16.07.53

---

From: [email-masked] (Brandon Hume)
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 10:03:10 -0400 (AST)

I seem to be suffering an odd problem that I can't quite figure out.

While setting up a chroot'd ftp dir for a customer, I noticed that when 
attempting an ls (with various flags... -l, -la, -laR et all) I'd 
frequently get "Can't build data connection: Cannot assign requested 
address".  I don't recall it doing this to me before... but now the 
problem even occurs with ftped into my own account, which isn't chrooted 
and uses the main system libraries.

This is wu-ftpd 2.4, beta 11, though I pulled down regular 2.4 and built 
it to see whether an older version would have the same problem... it does.

The oddness is that the problem is VERY inconsistent... I can type ls 
several times and it will work fine... then I can try once more and be 
greeted with that error.

After fussing around with the libnss* (as mentioned in a previous thread 
about uid/guids not resolving) the ls problem seems somewhat lessened... 
but now I CAN consistently cause "Can't build data connection: Connection 
refused" with a 'quote LIST' command.  Which is odd, since ls now seems 
to be working fine.  (Yes, I'm trying things even as I type this.  :) ).

Has anyone seen this before?  The largest difference I can see is that a 
call to ls sends an NLST command (I'm probably wrong), as opposed to the 
quoted LIST command.

What have I buggered up here?  :)

-- 
Brandon Hume  -  [email-masked], [email-masked]
- Finger for Geek codes, PGP, /dev/zero, yadda yadda.