Subject: Using glob() under Solaris to recuce stack size?

From: Jonathan Roy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 1996 13:58:02 -0500

Hey there. We've been poking around trying to understand why wuftpd uses
so much RAM on our Solaris box. It appears that the recursive use of
tglob()/ftpglob() uses around 500K on the stack. Since it's all mostly used
when someone does a "ls -l", it all pages back in to service the next ls
command. Since we run a fairly high traffic FTP server, the 2MB or so
footprint of wuftpd is rather painful.

  Has anyone tried replacing wuftpd's internal globbing code with calls to
the glob and globfree system calls under Solaris (and linux I believe,
etc)? Perhaps the system glob() is more memory efficient.

  If anyone has tried that and has a patch, we'd be very happy to try it
out here. :)

  Thanks,

-Jonathan

--
Jonathan Roy - [email-masked] -- Idle Communications, Inc.
Mail [email-masked] to advertise with the Games Domain! 
http://www.gamesdomain.com/ or http://www.gamesdomain.co.uk/