Subject: bin,etc,dev directories

From: "C. Paul Ferroni" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 15:32:05 -0500

I have about a dozen "chroot'ed" guestgroup accounts on my ftp
server, and have been copying the bin, dev and etc directories
around to each of them to handle the chroot'ed environment.

If I want to change the default message when connecting, or make
a change to one of these directories, I need to make changes in all
of them, thus having to do it 12 or more times.

Question:  Does anyone out there have an elegant solution for
this problem?  I considered hard links to the directory (all the
stuff is in the same file system), but Solaris 2.5 man pages indicate
that hard linked directories aren't allowed by the "ln" command.

Comments?

-cpf

--
C. Paul Ferroni          Phone: 216-646-4114 (voice)  216-646-3176 (fax)
Systems Specialist           Admin areas: UNIX, WWW, Usenet News, etc.
Allen-Bradley Company, Inc      Email: [email-masked]

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 16:43:44 -0600 (CST)

On the same filesystem, make a master copy of the common elements such as
libraries, executables, etc. somewhere above all the chrooted accounts.
Then use hard links from each of the guest accounts back to the master
copy.  You should install unlinked copies of the passwd and group files in
each ~/guest/etc directory with only the absolutely necessary information
for that account in each one.

   -- Michael