Subject: [PATCH] built-in 'ls'

From: "Frank DENIS \(Jedi/Sector One\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 13:48:36 -0500 (EST)

Here is a little patch to provide a built-in 'ls' to wuftpd 2.4.2-b11
... So no more /etc and /bin directory is needed for anonymous ftp and
this may also fix some security holes. Also a new compilation flag was
added in order to avoid launching any external program.

    Best regards, Frank.
--
>Edit-Online<  International translations, multilanguage WWW creation & hosting
 Europe, Tokyo, Beijing, Seoul, Bangkok, Bombay, Washington, Rio, Buenos-Aires
  <(=-  [http://www.edit-online.com/] <*> [ftp://ftp.edit-online.com/]  -=)>
Frank DENIS aka Jedi/Sector One, network system administrator. Email: [email-masked]

---

From: Yoshi <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 11:19:03 -0800 (PST)

> added in order to avoid launching any external program.

	Excellent patch. One small "problem":

	Your ls doesn't support any command-line arguments like standard
	BSD & GNU ls, used from shells. The result is that no data is sent,
	and FTP returns a prompt immediatly. This even happens on your
	own site. Commands such as "ls -l" or "ls -FRal" do not work.

	Besides that, looks good!

--
| Jeremy Chadwick                                        [email-masked] |
| System/Network/Security Administrator                        541-330-0435 |
| http://yoshi.parodius.com                                                 |

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 13:28:51 -0600 (CST)

I did not look at the 'ls' patch, but if that is all it does, there is
already an ls built into wu-ftpd that will not take command line
arguments; the patch is entirely superfluous.

The external ls is forked when command arguments are given, which some ftp
clients seem to do by default.  If you want to obviate the need for an
external ls, you are going to have to write a complete ls that will patch
into wu-ftpd.

IMO this should not be in the source tree; it should be available by patch
for those who want it.  I would not want to burden an already overbig
server with yet more baggage.

   -- Michael