Subject: hi..Can you help me with a compile problem?

From: Jeff <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 00:05:36 -0600

Hi.. I think im shooting in the dark... but, i cant seem to find anymore
help on the net.. so, abeit your my last resort.

Ok.  I DL'd Wu-ftpd_2.4.2.Beta.11 -- un compresed and all ok.
(i have it in /usr/src/wu-ftpd_2_4_2_Beta_11 )

I run Linux Kernel 2.0.27 (the Red Hat 3.03 Distrubiton)
Gcc version is 2.7.2 (I upgraded the kernel myself...:)

When I type "./build lnx"  i get . . 
Ok.. I get some ERROR 1  on FTPSHUT and the one previous.

When i do "./build install" i get. . .
make: *** No rule to make target `bin/ftpd', needed by `install'.  Stop.

I have attempted to traceout the 'build' script and see what actally
happens.. from what I can figure out is it winds up running:
install program and yet still bombs on me.

2nd?
 I run Beta9 Now --- How come my Windows GUI clients (cuteftp, WSFTP)
doesn't list a directory .. but i can change to dirs that i know exist
-- and the "dos" ftp or even a 'un*x' ftp program will 'ls' fine?

things to make you go HMMMM..

merry christmas
Jeff - A new die hard linux beginner (hey, im learning! got my web site
on it!)

---

From: "Karl O. Pinc" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 00:24:48 -0600

>Gcc version is 2.7.2 (I upgraded the kernel myself...:)

I'd start by getting the latest source rpm from redhat and try building it/checking out the patches.

Karl                    e-mail: [email-masked], [email-masked]
----                public key: finger [email-masked]
Karl O. Pinc           e-tattoo: Ride hard and die free.

---

From: Vincent Cojot <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 08:15:22 -0500 (EST)

> Ok.. I get some ERROR 1  on FTPSHUT and the one previous.

Let me guess...:
The problem was:

glob.c: in function 'matchdir': 
glob.c: 240: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type 
make: *** [glob.c] error 1 

If so, then add "-DDIRENT_ILLEGAL_ACCESS" to the CFLAGS line in the
Makefile.lnx

> make: *** No rule to make target `bin/ftpd', needed by `install'.  Stop.

See above. It can't install because the binaries were not built.

Actually, this is just a shot in the dark but it would have helped if you
could have provided the output given by the error.

> -- and the "dos" ftp or even a 'un*x' ftp program will 'ls' fine?

It's the famous static-ls problem which accounts for 50% of this list's
traffic. Here is the location of the FAQ, to help you solve this problem:

WU-FTPD FAQ:  http://www.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html

Basically, this is just a matter of putting the right libs under ~ftp/lib
so that your ~ftp/bin/ls can work.

> Jeff - A new die hard linux beginner (hey, im learning! got my web site

,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,
Vincent S. Cojot, Computer Engineering. STEP project. _.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~
Ecole Polytechnique de Montreal, Comite Micro-Informatique. _.,-*~'`^`'~*-,.
Linux Xview/OpenLook resources page _.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._ [email-masked]
http://www.info.polymtl.ca/~coyote  _.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._ [email-masked]

They cannot scare me with their empty spaces
Between stars - on stars where no human race is
I have it in me so much nearer home
To scare myself with my own desert places.       - Robert Frost

---

From: Yoshi <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 10:39:34 -0800 (PST)

> install program and yet still bombs on me.

	I'd recommend, as did Karl, getting the patches for wu-ftpd for
	RedHat. If the problem you have has something to do with dd_fd
	in 'glob.c' and some other things, EMail me and i'll send you
	the modified 'glob.c' I have (which removes this problem).

--
| Jeremy Chadwick                                        [email-masked] |
| System/Network/Security Administrator                        541-330-1995 |
| http://yoshi.parodius.com/                                                |