Subject: Patch to wu-ftpd-2.4.2 -- provides more virtual server flexibility.

From: [email-masked] (Karl O. Pinc)
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 1996 16:05:20 -0600

Patch to wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-11.

From the README file:

This patches ftpd, ftpcount, and ftpshut to accept an optional argument to the -a command line option so that the ftpaccess file can be placed in an alternate location.  The primary benefit to this is that the tcpwrappers package can be used to start ftpd with different configuration files based on a wide variety of characteristics associated with the network packets requesting FTP service.  This provides the mythical precise and total control of virtual FTP servers usually only associated with luxury sports cars.  

The convienent thing about this patch is that, with tcpwrappers, every ftpaccess directive effectively has a "class" argument.  I like using tcpwrappers to define classes because that's what it's designed to do, and it can do it in many ways, including destination IP.

It would be nice if someone would write a "ftproot" directive for the configuration file.  This would specify the directory to chroot to for anonymous ftp users.  The advantage is that then the existing "virtual" directives would never need to be used.  This would keep IP numbers from appearing in yet another configuration file, the ftpaccess file.

Rpms have been uploaded to
ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/incoming/wu-ftpd-2.4.2b11.9-i386.rpm
ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/incoming/wu-ftpd-2.4.2b11.9-i386.rpm-try2 (Which is the same as *.rpm. Don't ask.)
ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/incoming/wu-ftpd-2.4.2b11.9-src.rpm

The patch is available at:
http://www.meme.com/soft
ftp://ftp.meme.com/software/wu-ftpd-2.4.2

I tried to upload the patch to ftp://wuarchive.wustl.edu, but there dosen't seem to be an incoming directory.  I'd appreciate knowing how to get the patch to them.

I would appreciate it if this patch was added to the wu-ftpd FAQ.

I would appreciate it even more if Washington University would incorporate this patch into their distribution so that I don't have to maintain it.

Karl                    e-mail: [email-masked], [email-masked]
----                public key: finger [email-masked]
Karl O. Pinc           e-tattoo: Ride hard and die free.

---

From: Adam Furman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 1996 17:26:41 -0500 (EST)

I have the virtual ftpd deamon and when I try to access the virtual host
it comes up with a 550 error that it can't set guest modes.  I changed the
directory to my main anon ftp and it still does the same thing.  I would
like to know what might be wrong and why I can't get anon ftp to work on
this ip.  It does the banner and all.
Thanks Adam

Adam Furman    
System Administrator of Sunfire.ucs.net
[email-masked]
Irc HUB Admin of irc.ucs.net

---

From: Thom Dunaway <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 1996 20:19:44 -0600

Where can i read about configuring virtual ftp servers using wu-ftpd?  Thanks

*******************************
"A man can receive only what is given him from heaven."
thom dunaway
[email-masked]
*******************************

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 1996 22:20:46 -0600 (CST)

~/VIRTUAL.FTP.SUPPPORT

   -- Michael    ([email-masked])

---

From: Jason Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 1996 12:29:02 +0000

> ~/VIRTUAL.FTP.SUPPPORT
whats the sitename/URL ?
> 
> > Where can i read about configuring virtual ftp servers using

---

From: Thom Dunaway <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 1996 15:54:41 -0600

I have tried the below directory at every level of each of the domains
below.  Several not founds and several server dropped connection.  Can you
please give me the full URL to this document.

>It is in the root directory of the wu-ftpd distribution (below).
>
>On Thu, 19 Dec 1996, Jason Brown wrote:
>
>> Michael Brennen wrote:
>> > ~/VIRTUAL.FTP.SUPPPORT
>> whats the sitename/URL ?
>
>
>This is the location for the latest wu-ftpd.  You can't see the
>directory contents, but get the file anyway.  It's there.
>
>ftp://ftp.academ.com/pub/wu-ftpd/private/wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-11.tar.Z
>
>wu-ftpd FAQ:  http://www.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html
>              OR
>              send mail to [email-masked]
>              with a subject line: send faq
>
>guest howto:  ftp://ftp.fni.com/pub/wu-ftpd/guest-howto
>              OR
>              send mail to "[email-masked]"
>              (immediate autoresponder; subject does not matter)
>
>There are additional security references in the above docs.

---

From: "Karl O. Pinc" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 1996 15:53:22 -0600

>Where can i read about configuring virtual ftp servers using wu-ftpd?  Thanks

For more control over virtual ftp servers use tcpwrappers to spawn ftpd
with different configuration files.  See the the patch at
http://www.meme.com/soft and read the tcpwrappers documentation.

Karl

May the Legos (TM) always be swept from your path in the night.

---

From: Alain Magloire <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 1996 17:18:49 -0500 (EST)

> please give me the full URL to this document.

here, here

>From wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-11/VIRTUAL.FTP.SUPPPORT
-----------------------------------------------------------
Date: Fri, 26 May 1995 21:33:23 -0400 (EDT)
From: Brian Kramer <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Virtual FTP Servers

[Modifications to provide for discrete xferlogs for each server provided by
Marc G. Fournier <[email-masked]> -- sob.]
 
I'm attaching a patch for wu-ftpd 2.4 to allow virtual ftp servers to be 
setup.  Basically so a user ftping to ftp1.domain.com gets one ftp banner 
and one ftp directory and a user ftping to ftp2.domain.com gets another 
banner and directory even though they are on the same machine and port.

I was the person who originally asked how to do it, and got enough answers 
to write a patch that would allow it.  You have to be able to setup alias 
IP addresses in order for this to work.  I know linux and bsdi support this.  
I do not warrant this code at all.  Use it AT YOUR OWN RISK.  If it causes 
your computer to blow up, TOUGH! 

Please send me comments, I'm interested in improving it, and hearing
how it works for people.

Here's the steps.

Compile the software with -DVIRTUAL added to the CFLAGS in the Makefile

Add lines similar to the following for each virtual server to ftpaccess:

# Virtual Server at 10.10.10.10
virtual 10.10.10.10 root    /var/ftp/virtual/ftp-serv 
virtual 10.10.10.10 banner  /var/ftp/virtual/ftp-serv/banner.msg
virtual 10.10.10.10 logfile /var/log/ftp/virtual/ftp-serv/xferlog

The first arg is the ip address of the virtual server.
The second arg is either "root", "banner" or "logfile" (without the quotes)
for that virtual server.
The third arg is the file system location for the item specified in the 
second arg.

Note: all the other message files, etc, and permissions and other settings
in the ftpaccess file apply to all virtual servers.

$Id: VIRTUAL.FTP.SUPPPORT,v 1.2 1996/03/15 06:17:33 sob Exp $
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 1996 16:41:08 -0600 (CST)

That is the full URL.  I was just now able to download the WU ftpd source
by using exactly the URL below.  I guess I don't understand what is going
on if you can't load it.  You cannot see the contents of the private
directory, so you won't be able to point and click it, but it is there.

---

From: [email-masked] (Koos van den Hout _U nix and we all_)
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 00:54:49 +0100 (MET)

> >> whats the sitename/URL ?

The above *is* not an URL, it's relative to the wu-ftpd sourcedir. Forget
WWW and URL's for one <beeping> second, think Unix homedirs.

Don't you hate it when the cluefone is ringing and nobody answers ?

General note : Yes, I have a backlog in updates for the faq. This
backlog will grow since I am the proud owner of an appartment since 2
days. I'll work on the faq again after Januari 13th.

				     Koos van den Hout

-- 
  Koos van den Hout,     Internetter, Unix freak, ISFJ and BBS SysOp at large
  [email-masked] (Work)  <-- finger -l for PGPkey      Fax: +31-30-2586290
  [email-masked] (Home)                      Workphone: +31-30-2586287
  http://www.hvu.nl/~koos (WWW)    Looking for a license plate with "RFC 822"

---

From: "Karl O. Pinc" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 1996 18:33:11 -0600

>days. I'll work on the faq again after Januari 13th.

Now you've done gone and reminded me.  The FAQ should have pointers to the
ftp rfcs, both the protocol and the "revision".

http://info.internet.isi.edu:80/in-notes/rfc/files/rfc959.txt
http://info.internet.isi.edu:80/in-notes/rfc/files/rfc1579.txt

Karl

---

From: Thom Dunaway <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 1996 15:45:21 -0600

Well it seems so simple when I read the instructions, yet it doesn't work.
I complied with -DVIRTUAL added to the CFLAGS in the Makefile, and added
"virtual 10.10.10.10 root    /export/home0/islands" to the ftpaccess.  And
yes, I did change 10.10.10.10 to my IP.  When I FTP in it will let me back
out to the root of the box and browse around.

Any suggestions?  Solaris 2.5.1  Merry Christmas all and thanks mucho!

---

From: "Karl O. Pinc" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 1996 16:04:19 -0600

>Any suggestions?  Solaris 2.5.1  Merry Christmas all and thanks mucho!

Note: You still have to anonymous ftp in to keep from browsing around.

Karl

---

From: Alan Halachmi <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 1996 18:22:08 -0600 (CST)

Is the -a option enabled in your inetd.conf?

Alan

---

From: Thom Dunaway <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 1996 15:36:57 -0600

I was hoping that the virtual ftp would allow users to log in and be
restricted to their directory, but they will be logging in using their user
name and pw, not anonymously.  This seems to negate the virtual aspect.  Is
there a way to allow users to be dumped into thier home directory and being
restricted to that directory?  Thanks