Subject: WUFTPD not receiving TZ setting from inetd?

From: "Roger A. Hanke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 17:50:08 -0500

Dear WUFTPD'ers,

Two questions concerning WUFTPD.

 Has anyone built WUFTPD to run on any flavor of SGI machine?
If so could you please contact me to let me know if your WUFTPD uses GMT
or your proper timezone when writing to log files.

 Second question is if anyone more familiar with WUFTPD can shed any 
light on the following strange behaviour I am seeing. This happens to be
with WUFTPD 2.4 and IRIX 6.2 but is really a more general question.
I have checked that inetd does have TZ set in its environment to EST5EDT
which is correct. But when WUFTPD writes out to its log file or the system
log it uses GMT (5 hours ahead of EST). I checked in the code and
WUFTPD is making a localtime (ctime(3c)) call which uses the value of
TZ to adjust the current time. So it appears that TZ is somehow getting
unset in the environment? This supposition is further supported when the
/bin/ls -l command is run by WUFTPD. It also prints out times in GMT.
I replaced it with a dummy file and found that TZ is not set in the 
environment that it receives. So this would explain the behavior I am 
seeing. So then the question becomes if inetd has TZ set and I have 
confirmed it passes it to processes it starts from inetd.conf, why doesnt
WUFTPD or /bin/ls have it set in their environments when they are
executed?? I built this version of WUFTPD with all standard settings.
It works great in all areas except for its timezone usage.

Anyone have any input or suggestions at all??????

	Thanx,
	Roger Hanke

---

From: Bob Luckin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 96 20:47:15 CST

Roger Hanke asked about problems with timezones on IRIX.

> It works great in all areas except for its timezone usage.

I don't use SGI boxes, but I did see a problem with timezones under
Solaris 2 on my server - but only with anonymous users.

As far as I can tell, the localtime call used needs to access the timezone
information on disk in order to make the adjustment.  Under Solaris, this
resides in the /etc/default directory, and so a copy of this (just the
relevant files, not the whole directory) needed to be put under the
anonymous FTP root area, in order that FTP could find it when running
anonymously.

If you only see the timezone problem when logging in anonymously, then my
guess is that IRIX is similar, and you'll need to find your timezone files
and replicate the structure under the FTP root area.  If you don't see the
problem when logged in as a real user, then this is probably not the cause
of the problem, and I hope you get a response from an IRIX expert...

I hope this helps !

Cheers, Bob
-- 
Bob Luckin
Texas Instruments
P O Box 650311, MS 3937      [email-masked]
Dallas, TX 75265   U.S.A.    Tel: (972) 917 5081    Fax: (972) 917 7966

---

From: Thomas Katzlberger <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Dec 96 21:16:24 -0600

Hello everyone!

I am writing (more improving) a PD ftp client.
Some time ago I thoght I found a 'bug' in some versions of wu-ftp.

Now as I had time I downloaded and installed wu-ftp BETA-11 on my
system and can confirm that it was no bug in the ftpd code as it
simply works on my system as it should and fails on always the
same server systems in the same manner.

However it seems to be a bug in eighter a certain compiler or
widely used operating system or it is some other weird
interaction or setup that is used on lots of sites,
I am definitely not sure.

Is there a way to test this with a standard client like
ncftp or so? I can't get quote to use a port, just simple
commands like PWD work for me with quote. How can I do a
RESTART with any commandline client?

Sites that I know that behave 'buggy' are (all using wu-ftpd):

ftp.wustl.edu
ftp.evolution.com (System V-R4)
ftp.peanuts.leo.org (HP-UX)
...

I would be wondering if it is possible to discover a pattern
of OS's or compilers used. Maybe wu-ftp just works if

Thanks for any suggestions,
Cat.

The sequence (PORT commands removed to make it simple):

> CWD /packages/graphics/image-tool
> RETR it125d1.zip
< 150 Opening BINARY mode data connection ...
> ABOR
< 426 Transfer aborted. Data connection closed.
< 226 Abort successful

[ everything works here ]

> NLST -laL
...
< 226 Transfer complete.

> REST 70656
< 350 Restarting at 70656. Send STORE or RETRIEVE to ...
> RETR it125d1.zip
< 150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for ...
> ABOR

[ fail to abort ftp here - it gets simply ignored ]

--
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
_/_/                                                            _/_/
_/_/  Thomas Katzlberger                                        _/_/
_/_/  [email-masked]                               _/_/
_/_/  http://www.vuse.vanderbilt.edu/~katzlbt/                  _/_/
_/_/                                                            _/_/
_/_/  "You can tune a file system, but you can't tune a fish."  _/_/
_/_/                                UNIX man page for tunefs.   _/_/
_/_/                                                            _/_/
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/