Subject: Help w/Virtual FTP: can't set guest privs

From: "Andrew C. Saylor" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 11:10:18 -0600 (CST)

All,

  I am setting up WUFTP 2.4.2 Beta 11 to do virtual FTP servers. I have
compiled the server -DVIRTUAL and added the lines to the ftpaccess to
support the virtual FTP server.

When I try:

	ftp domain.com
	Connected to domain.com.
	220 alpha.comsource.net FTP server (Version wu-2.4.2-academ[BETA-11](7)
	Tue Dec 10 10:16:39 CST 1996) ready.
	Name (domain.com:asaylor): ftp
	331 Guest login ok, send your complete e-mail address as password.
	Password:
	550 Can't set guest privileges.
	Login failed.
	Remote system type is UNIX.
	Using binary mode to transfer files.
	ftp> 
	ftp> quit
	221 Goodbye.

I do see a message in the syslog indicating a VirtualFTP connection but I
dont see any other errors. What does the "error 550: Can't see guest
priviledges" mean?  This server is running a non-virtual anonymous server
that is working fine. I duplicated all the needed file structure and
permissions and double checked them. So I dont think its a file permission
problem...  what have a missed??!!

TIA All!

-Andy

|0|-------------------------------------------------------------------|0|
|0| Andrew C. Saylor                  | "Two in the Box!"	      |0|
|0|        [email-masked]      | "Ready to Go!"		      |0|
|0|    ComSource Inc.                 | "We be fast....               |0|
|0|   101 Plaza East Blvd.  Suite 316 | 			      |0| 
|0|    Evansville, Indiana  47715     | AND THEY BE SLOW!"            |0|
|0|                                   |                               |0|
|0|"Southern Indiana's most powerful  | 			      |0|
|0|   Internet Service Provider       |                               |0|
|0|   and Communications Specialists" |  -Ghostbusters II	      |0|
|0|                                   |     			      |0|
|0| http://www.comsource.net          |                               |0|
|0|     (812)469-0300                 |                               |0|
|0|-------------------------------------------------------------------|0|
|0| I am Pentium of Borg, 					      |0|
|0|		Calculation is Futile, 				      |0|
|0|				You will be approximated!!	      |0|

---

From: [email-masked] (Alvin Oga)
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 14:56:48 -0800 (PST)

hi
> 	550 Can't set guest privileges.

when I had that error...it was because I did not have this variable defined
properly ( ie  missing directory )

src/pathnames.h:#define _PATH_PIDNAMES  "/usr/adm/ftpd/ftp.pids-%s"

hope that helps
alvin