Subject: AIX 4.1.4 system

From: [email-masked] (Yard, John)
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 1996 16:57:11 -0800

I am installing wu-ftp2.4 on an AIX4.4 system; all seems well except 
that
I notice that timestamps of the ftp log are 8 hours ahead; ie, GMT.

     Anyone who can advise me on how wu-ftpd can reset its time from GMT in
an AIX system please inform me,

     Thanks

    John Yard
     AIS-UCLA

---

From: Thomas Heil <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 12:29:12 +0100

>an AIX system please inform me,

I would believe that the TZ variable is not set for the ftpd process, which
could be caused by the fact that ftpd is started by inetd which is started
from /etc/rc.tcpip which is started via /etc/inittab by init which hasn't
set this variable in the first place. Try to define TZ appropriately in
rc.tcpip before inetd is launched. If TZ is not passed through startsrc then
you could alternatively call a script in inetd.conf instead of calling ftpd
directly, and in this script first "export TZ=whateveryouneed" and then
"exec ftpd $*".

Hope this helps

Cheers,
Thomas

---------------------------------------+--------------------------------------
Mail: Thomas Heil                      | EMail: BITNET: [email-masked]
      Forschungszentrum Juelich - ICG2 |      Internet: [email-masked]
      D-52425 Juelich                  | Phone: +49 2461 61-6915
      Germany                          | Fax:   +49 2461 61-5346