Subject: Re: wu-ftpd hangs

From: [email-masked] (Clyde Hurst)
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 1996 08:04:50 -0600

----- Begin Included Message -----

>From [email-masked] Mon Dec  2 07:55 CST 1996
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 1996 14:46:10 +0100 (MET)
From: [email-masked] (Koos van den Hout _U nix and we all_)
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: wu-ftpd hangs
X-Zen: Ommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
X-Listprocessor-Version: 7.1 -- ListProcessor by CREN

Quoting Clyde Hurst, who wrote :

> I compiled wu-ftpd using gcc on solaris 2.5.  When I attempt to connect
> from another machiene, it hangs after you enter the user name.  Below
> is the /var/adm/messages entry:
> 
> Dec  2 07:14:40 sunfish inetd[128]: config: rstatd/rpc/udp still active and was not reconfigured. 
> Dec  2 07:14:40 sunfish inetd[128]: config: 100083/rpc/tcp still active and was not reconfigured. 
> 
> Any ideas?

This error is not related to wu-ftpd.

Anyway, about the passwords.. you could do the following :

telnet to port 21 and then talk the ftp protocol to see what exactly
happens, like

telnet ftphost 21
.. message from wu-ftpd
USER xxxxxx
.. message
PASS xxxxxx

Maybe one of the reply messages gives more insight.

					Grtx KH

-- 
  Koos van den Hout,     Internetter, Unix freak, ISFJ and BBS SysOp at large
  [email-masked] (Home)        BBS Koos z'n Doos (+31-30-6036637 28k8)
  [email-masked] (Work)  <-- finger -l for PGPkey    (+31-30-6056619 14k4)
  http://www.hvu.nl/~koos (WWW)    Looking for a license plate with "RFC 822"

----- End Included Message -----

Tried from the ftp host: "ftp localhost 21"
Then I entered the command "USER username".  It gave no message and hung.
The in.ftpd daemon that came with solaris works fine.  Also, I rebooted
the machiene and now it does not record messages to /var/adm/messages.
The /etc/inetd.conf entry looks like this:

ftp	stream	tcp	nowait	root	/etc/ftpd		ftpd -l -a

Can you see anything wrong?

Clyde