Subject: Re: automate

From: [email-masked] (Koos van den Hout _U nix and we all_)
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 1996 00:04:48 +0100 (MET)

Quoting Homer W. Smith, who wrote :

>     Would someone kindly remind me of the procedure for
> automating an ftp signon and get via a shell script.
>  
>     I have a file I need to get every day, I wanna just type 'getit'
> and have it come over to me.

Sophisticated manner : get ncftp so you can type

ncftp ftp.site.name:/path/to/file

Or store all commands for ftp in a script so you can type :
ftp sitename < script

This one could have some problems due to command buffer clearing.

                                             Grtx KH

-- 
  Koos van den Hout,     Internetter, Unix freak, ISFJ and BBS SysOp at large
  [email-masked] (Home)        BBS Koos z'n Doos (+31-30-6036637 28k8)
  [email-masked] (Work)  <-- finger -l for PGPkey    (+31-30-6056619 14k4)
  http://www.hvu.nl/~koos (WWW)    Looking for a license plate with "RFC 822"

---

From: Bob Luckin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 96 15:08:50 CST

> > and have it come over to me.

And Koos van den Hout suggested :-

> ncftp ftp.site.name:/path/to/file

Or you could use Jeffrey Friedl's webget, which can pull from both both
http: and ftp: URL's...  It's at either of these sites :-
   http://www.wg.omron.co.jp/~jfriedl/perl/
   http://enterprise.ic.gc.ca/~jfriedl/perl/

Cheers, Bob
-- 
Bob Luckin
Texas Instruments
P O Box 650311, MS 3937      [email-masked]
Dallas, TX 75265   U.S.A.    Tel: (972) 917 5081    Fax: (972) 917 7966