Subject: HELP... chroot not working

From: "Gregory S. Youngblood" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 1996 20:27:00 -0500

First, I've read and applied the guest-howto information, I've double and
triple checked everything I could find. I know this is asked repeatedly,
and I even went and looked in my archives but didn't find anything.

This is using 2.4.2 beta 11 on linux 2.0.24, libc 5.3.12 and I am not using
shadow passwords.

When the guest user is logged in it is treated as a regular user, even
though in the passwd entry for this user is:
user:password:527:508:whatever:/home/webmet/home/./user:/bin/fakeshell

when ftp'd in, a cd / goes to the root directory of the host, not
/home/webmet/home as it would seem.

When using 2.4[1] ls and dir wouldn't return anything, but mkdir and chmod
commands were working.

Anyone have any ideas on getting this to work? 

TIA 
Greg

---

From: [email-masked] (Geoff Terry Systems & Net supt 064 923677)
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 1996 13:07:47 +1100 (EST)

>Anyone have any ideas on getting this to work? 
C
Greg,
You need to create a group and associate the user with that group. In
/etc/ftpaccess (or whereever you put the ftpaccess file) you need to define
that group as a guest group.

Regards Geofft
Geoff Terry
Systems & Network Support
ACR Net
Sapphire Coast NSW 2550
Australia
Ph 064 923677
Mobile 015 668 227
Fax 064 924594

---

From: "Gregory S. Youngblood" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 1996 00:13:39 -0500

>that group as a guest group.

Ok, in the real system, /etc/passwd has a user entry that has 
/home/webmet/home/./lies defined as the home directory, the shell is
a c program I wrote that simply says "you don't have telnet privileges" and
closes out. Quite simple really. That user is part of the group webmet
(group #508), as defined in /etc/group. In /etc/ftpaccess I have the line:
guestgroup webmet
and I also have private set to no (I dont want the users to change their
group with site group .. ) if this matters. In /home/webmet/home/lies I
have created a bin and etc directory. I have copied fakeshell (static
binary) and ls (static binary) to the bin directory. I've also created the
'fake' group/passwd file in the etc directory as per the guest howto. I
also created the .rhosts and .forward files, also as per the guest howto.

I've gone through everything step by step, as well as using the OReilly
Managin Internet Information Services book. It doesn't seem to be chrooting
properly.

Any more ideas I can try or check??

TIA
Greg