Subject: Account problems

From: [email-masked] (Nathan Berry)
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 11:52:15 -0700

I am having two separate problems (at least I think they are unrelated).

1)  I have set up a guest account and it works, that is from a UNIX box.  If I 
use a UNIX ftp client I see everything that is in the directory and all commands 
I have given access to in ftpaccess work.  When I do a ftpwho it reports back 
correctly.  If I use SmartTerm's FTP client or Hummingbird's FTP client I 
connect okay, passive mode, but see nothing in the home directory of the guest 
account.  Also, ftpwho and ftpcount report no one on the system, yet I do a ps 
and see the ftpd running.  What's up with this???

2)  I have a common directory that everyone can read.  I have a link in the 
guest account directory to a file that is readable in the common directory.  If 
I login in and do an ls I see the link.  If I try to get the link I am told the 
file or directory does not exist.  If I place the actual file in the account's 
directory I have no problem accessing the file.  What's up with this???

      _/          _/_/_/_/_/_/        Nathan Berry
     _/_/        _/          _/       6501 E Belleview Ave.
    _/  _/      _/          _/        Englewood, CO  80111
   _/    _/    _/_/_/_/_/_/           Phone: (303) 889-8816
  _/      _/  _/          _/          Fax:   (303) 889-8805
 _/        _/_/          _/           Email: [email-masked]
_/          _/_/_/_/_/_/

---

From: Naeem Bari <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 09:20:27 -0600 (CST)

> directory I have no problem accessing the file.  What's up with this???

ftp won't follow symbolic links to files outside the ftp directory tree
since it assumes everything outside the tree is off limits to ftp clients.

Regards,
naeem

-------------------------------------------------------------
Naeem Bari			Tel: (314) 935-4865
Software/Network Engineer	Fax: (314) 935-7142
Office of the N/W Coordinator	[email-masked]
Washington U. in St. Louis	http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~naeem
--------------------------------------------------------------