Subject: Shadowed passwords on AIX

From: Frank Scherthan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 1996 00:00:03 +0100 (NFT)

Hello,

I'm trying to build the wu-ftp-deamon on an IBM rs6000 running AIX.
I compiled the source-code, installed all the nesaccary files and testet
the new FTP-deamon, and there was the Problem. I couldn't log in as a
REAL-User. I searched the Internet and found a FAQ where I found my
Problem. So I created a file ETC/SHELLS...No Problems.
BUT HOW CAN I IMPLEMENT SHADOWED PASSWORDS ? 
There is a solution for Linux User. But I have no file shadow.h and I
don't know how to get it...
Has anybody build WU-FTPD on an AIX with shadowed passwords ? How ?
Please help me...  

So long and thanx for all the fish,
--
Frank Scherthan, in some places better known as
                                        _________________________________
 _____ _____ ____  _____ ____   |||||  |snail-mail:      |               |
|     |  _  |  _ \|  _  |  __|   O O   | Frank Scherthan | Tel.          |
|_   _| | | | | | | | | | |__    \_/   | Jahnstrasse 8   |  06341/       |
  | | | |_| | |_|/| | | |__  |  /   \  | 76833 Knoeringen|    960399     |
  | | |  _  |  _ \| | | |__| | ||   || |_________________|_______________|
  | | | | | | | | | |_| |    | |/   \| |email:                           |
  |_| |_| |_|_| |_|_____|____| )_____( |    [email-masked]    |
                               |__|__| |_________________________________|
For PGP-Public-Key: finger [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Jay Schuster)
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 1996 13:07:22 -0500 (EST)

> Has anybody build WU-FTPD on an AIX with shadowed passwords ? How ?

I am not 100% sure what you mean here.  AIX by default implements shadow
passwords, since the passwords are stored in /etc/security/passwd and
not in /etc/passwd.

We run wu-ftpd here under AIX.   For what I needed to do to get it
running, check out:
    http://www.pcc.com/~jay/src/networking/wu-ftpd-2.4/ORIGINALS/
It's working fine, that I know of.

-- Jay
-- 
Jay Schuster <[email-masked]>
The People's Computer Company	`Revolutionary Programming'