Subject: RE: AIX 4.1.4 system

From: "Roger A. Hanke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 13:02:46 -0500

John,
 Thomas reply only partially covers your problem I suspect.
The FAQ identifies AIX (like SGI) as one of those OS types that dont
support SETPROCTITLE. If this is true it means that your TZ value is 
getting munged by wuftpd, even if it is set properly in your environment
(like it was on mine on SGI). So go to src/config/config.aix and undef 
SETPROCTITLE. Then do a clean or remove src/config.h so that a new 
link is done during the next build invocation. 
 Disclaimer: I have never, will never, work on AIX ;-)

	Roger Hanke

----------
From: 	Thomas Heil
Sent: 	Tuesday, December 10, 1996 6:29 AM
To: 	[email-masked]
Subject: 	Re: AIX  4.1.4 system

John,
 Thomas reply only partially covers your problem I suspect.
The FAQ identifies AIX (like SGI) as one of those OS types that dont
support SETPROCTITLE. If this is true it means that your TZ value is 
getting munged by wuftpd, even if it is set properly in your environment
(like it was on mine on SGI). So go to src/config/config.aix and undef 
SETPROCTITLE. Then do a clean or remove src/config.h so that a new 
link is done during the next build invocation. 
 Disclaimer: I have never, will never, work on AIX ;-)

	Roger Hanke

At 16:57 06.12.1996 -0800, Yard, John wrote:
>
>
>     I am installing wu-ftp2.4 on an AIX4.4 system; all seems well except 
>that
>I notice that timestamps of the ftp log are 8 hours ahead; ie, GMT.
>
>     Anyone who can advise me on how wu-ftpd can reset its time from GMT in
>an AIX system please inform me,
>
>     Thanks
>
>    John Yard
>     AIS-UCLA

I would believe that the TZ variable is not set for the ftpd process, which
could be caused by the fact that ftpd is started by inetd which is started
from /etc/rc.tcpip which is started via /etc/inittab by init which hasn't
set this variable in the first place. Try to define TZ appropriately in
rc.tcpip before inetd is launched. If TZ is not passed through startsrc then
you could alternatively call a script in inetd.conf instead of calling ftpd
directly, and in this script first "export TZ=whateveryouneed" and then
"exec ftpd $*".

Hope this helps

Cheers,
Thomas

---------------------------------------+--------------------------------------
Mail: Thomas Heil                      | EMail: BITNET: [email-masked]
      Forschungszentrum Juelich - ICG2 |      Internet: [email-masked]
      D-52425 Juelich                  | Phone: +49 2461 61-6915
      Germany                          | Fax:   +49 2461 61-5346

---

From: [email-masked] (Jay Schuster)
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 17:25:23 -0500 (EST)

> Disclaimer: I have never, will never, work on AIX ;-)

I have wu-2.4.2-academ[BETA-11] running under AIX 3.2 and AIX 4.1.4.
It was compiled under 3.2, and I did not have to do anything special
with SETPROCTIILE to get it to compile.  My logfiles are in localtime.

When I was using the stock wu-2.4 version, I *did* need to
#undef SETPROCTITLE.

For more details, I have web pages set up for the configurations
of the various software I use.  Check out:

    http://www.pcc.com/~jay/src/networking/wu-ftpd-2.4/ORIGINALS/

-- Jay
-- 
Jay Schuster <[email-masked]>
The People's Computer Company	`Revolutionary Programming'