Subject: unsetting SETPROCTITLE

From: "Roger A. Hanke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 1996 17:35:47 -0500

Dear WUFTPD'ers,

 I was forced to undefine SETPROCTITLE in order to get my SGI IRIX 6.2
version to use timezone info correctly. Now I am left with the question of
what exactly am I missing in my SGI version due to this undef?

 When the no set process title version is run the ps entry does not appear 
that different from when it was set or from the standard ftpd entry. Below 
are the entries, where the sgi version has it unset, the standard external 
version has it set, and the final entry is the official SGI daemon:
	rahdev 10909   250 71   Dec 05 ?      5639:35 sgi.wuftpd -d -l -L -u007
  	rahdev  9144   250  0 16:57:17 ?       0:00 ext.wuftpd -d -l -L -u007
	rah  9256   250  0 17:04:46 ?       0:00 ftpd -l
Here are the corresponding lines from the Solaris external version built 
with set process title defined and the standard Solaris ftpd version:
	root  8335   489 15 16:57:05 ?        0:00 ext.wuftpd -d -l -L
	root  8911   489 14 17:05:30 ?        0:00 in.ftpd

 So does anyone understand all those SETPROCTITLE lines of code
enough to summarize what value add I am missing out on?
	Thanx,
	Roger Hanke

---

From: Chuck Davis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 1996 21:03:43 EST

> enough to summarize what value add I am missing out on?

---------

hmmm, it must depend on your OS platform.  I'm using HP-UX 10.10.  When
using SETPROCTITLE I get this:

ftper 26561   607  0 20:48:23 ? 0:00 wuftpd eod.nasa.gov: connected: IDLE

The ftpd that was shipped w/ the os was only slightly more informative:

root 26882   607  0 20:57:39 ? 0:00 ftpd eod.nasa.gov: anonymous/cdavis@: TYPE I  
When undefining SETPROCTITLE wu-ftpd gives this:

ftper 26852   607  0 20:52:26 ?         0:00 ftpd -a -l

Not very informative but at least it fits in under 80 columns!

...Chuck Davis