Subject: Solaris 2.5.1 & 'dir'

From: Hal Wine <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 1996 10:27:30 -0800

I just installed wu-ftp 2.4 under Solaris 2.5.1.  

Everything appears to be working, except that the 'dir' command 
displays uid/gid numbers instead of user/group names.

The uid/gid in question are in the stripped versions of passwd & 
group in ~ftp/etc.  I don't have private groups set up (at this 
point).  Permissions are:
 ls -lR
.:
total 10
d--x--x--x   2 root     other        512 Dec  6 09:59 bin
d--x--x--x   2 root     other        512 Dec  5 12:08 dev
d--x--x--x   2 root     other        512 Dec  5 11:13 etc
dr-xr-xr-x   2 root     other        512 Dec  5 11:04 pub
d--x--x--x   3 root     other        512 Dec  5 11:10 usr

./bin:
total 64
---x--x--x   1 bin      bin        15144 May  2  1996 compress
---x--x--x   1 bin      bin        16644 May  2  1996 ls

./dev:
total 0
crw-rw-rw-   1 root     other     11, 42 Dec  5 12:08 tcp
cr--r--r--   1 root     other     13, 12 Dec  5 12:08 zero

./etc:
total 4
-rw-r--r--   1 root     other         42 Dec  5 11:14 group
-rw-r--r--   1 root     sys          278 Dec  5 11:17 passwd

Displayed from anon ftp, or by chroot ~ftp /bin/ls -l .
total 10
d--x--x--x   2 0        1            512 Dec  6 09:59 bin
d--x--x--x   2 0        1            512 Dec  5 12:08 dev
d--x--x--x   2 0        1            512 Dec  6 10:17 etc
dr-xr-xr-x   2 0        1            512 Dec  5 11:04 pub
d--x--x--x   4 0        1            512 Dec  6 10:23 usr

I didn't see this covered in the FAQ.   
-- 
Hal Wine <[email-masked]>				DTOR Consulting

---

From: Grace Lee Hou <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 1996 11:17:57 -0500

I have just installed wu-ftp 2.4 under Solaris 2.5.1. We have guest user
set up. I can ftp to our ftp server and see that the user has restricted
access. The chroot is done, so the user can see only own home directory.
The user can `ls` and `chmod` to subdirectories. This looks good.

However, we want to set up a FTP URL from the Netscape browser to upload
files similar to above. The FTP URL works if we connect to the native
ftp. When we connect to wuftpd, the user cannot see any file listing,
even in his own home directory. It seems like the browser use the `LIST`
FTP request instead of the `NLST` request. What is the difference? Did
anyone try this successfully? Actually, if I specify `dir` from a
regular ftp client, I don't see any listing either.

Any help is appreciated!

Grace Hou
[email-masked]