Subject: Re:

From: Zachary Tippit <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 13:23:03 -0700 (MST)

I just installed wu-ftpd-2.4.2b11-8.i386.rpm on my redhat system.  
Everything seems to work fine except the -u flag.  Here is my inetd.conf 
entry:
ftp     stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  in.ftpd -l -u033

When I put files as a normal user, they are mode 644 which is good.  
However, when a user makes directories, they are mode drwxr-Sr--.  That's 
no good.  I've tried replacing my ftpaccess file to the default, no 
dice.. I have a slackware system on which I compiled the same version and 
it works OK..  Any ideas?

Zach

---

From: "Karl O. Pinc" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 14:48:34 -0600

>dice.. I have a slackware system on which I compiled the same version and

It's because the group setuid bit is set on the directory in which the user
is creating a sub-directory.  It's supposed to work this way.  See the
redhat installation and users guide for information on the
unique-group-per-user administration stratigy.  If you _really_ don't want
it to work this way you have to set bits in the first byte of the umask (it
has 4 bytes), read the chmod man pages to see which are which.

Karl

May the Legos (TM) always be swept from your path in the night.