Subject: re: timezone error

From: "Roger A. Hanke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 10:19:44 -0500

Thuy wrote:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Subject: timezone error 
     Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 16:16:53 -0600 
     From: [email-masked] (Thuy Tran) 

Got a quick question:  when I do an 'ls -l', the timezone on the files I put are 
exactly 6 hours off.  I copied the file TIMEZONE and the 
/usr/share/lib/zoneinfo/US/Central file to ~ftp/usr/lib/ directory and it still 
doesn't work.  I assume I don't need to copy all the files in 
/usr/share/lib/zoneinfo?  The system's /etc/TIMEZONE is a link to 
/etc/default/init.

The faq also mentioned about recompiling wu-ftpd with SPT_TYPE #undef-ined.  Is 
it by default to define SPT_TYPE?  I ask this because I didn't do anything to 
the Makefile except for adding 'DPARANOID -DANON-ONLY' to the CFLAGS line.

What else am I missing?

Thanks,

Thuy
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thuy,
 On Solaris 2.4 with WUFTPD 2.4 I was able to fix my timezone problem
(5 hours in future since GMT being used vs EST) by putting two files
under each users chroot area. I put the /etc/default/init file which 
/etc/TIMEZONE is a symbolic link to, and the proper timezone file
from under /usr/share/lib/zoneinfo that the init file points to
(in my case US/Eastern). And yes I had built my WUFTPD from the
standard makefile without changing any build options.

 If you are still having problems use the standard chroot troubleshooting
of running it by hand. Add truss -f to the front so you can see exactly 
what files are still missing for you. So I go to the chroot area as root
and run "truss -f chroot . /bin/ls -l". This is how I determined the above
two files were the ones I was missing.

 Now having said that and perhaps sounding as if I actually knew what
I was talking about. Has anyone got this to work on an IRIX SGI machine
or any SGI machine for that matter? Using their par command (their version
of truss) I could not find any files missing. Sure enough running chroot
proves that it is not a missing file issue. And running the default SGI FTP
server does not have a timezone problem. Only running the WUFTPD
that I built has the timezone problem. So obviously I need to build the
WUFTPD differently but have no clue where to start. Any suggestions?

	Thanx,
	Roger Hanke

---

From: [email-masked] (William L. Sebok)
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 11:15:18 -0500 (EST)

> standard makefile without changing any build options.

Just the file /usr/share/lib/zoneinfo/Eastern was all that was required to
put the output of ls from our anon server (Solaris 2.5) into the US/Eastern
time zone. Having /etc/default/init or /etc/TIMEZONE in the anonymous area is
not required.  I believe that ls gets the knowledge to look for the timezone
file from the environment variable TZ (set here to "US/Eastern").  This
environment variable is originally set by init when it starts up, reading
/etc/default/init.  Then it is passed to inetd when inetd starts up, which
in turn passes it to ftpd when an incoming ftp request comes in.  Ftpd in turn
passes TZ to ls.

Bill Sebok      Computer Software Manager, Univ. of Maryland, Astronomy
	Internet: [email-masked]	URL: http://www.astro.umd.edu/~wls/