Subject: Re: ftpd

From: Will Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 19:23:52 -0500 (EST)

> Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 17:09:03 -0600 (CST)
> From: Andy Smith <[email-masked]>
> 
> Sometimes peoples connections with wu-ftpd will not completely close when
> they quit there clients with one of our servers. There clients
> disconnect but a "ps aux" still shows an open ftpd session. Has anyone
> else had simmilar problems? How did you fix it? The server is running
> linux kernel 2.0 and wu-ftpd beta 11.

I have seen the same behavior on Solaris 2.4 with the academ 2.4.2 B11
version. I had the same problem on Solaris 2.4 with wuftpd 2.4,
Despite (or maybe because of?) timeout settings of 10 or 15 minutes.
For example, I just killed off an ftpd process from 2 days ago.

It is just frequent enough to be annoying, but not frequent enough for
me to think it is an obvious coding bug. Does seem to happen when a
peecee client exits without closing the TCP connection (which is all
too easy), but not every time.

--
Will Brown