Subject: ftphosts size limit

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 96 10:58:01 -0700

Is there a limit on the size an ftphosts file can be?  I've searched
every piece of documentation I can find, and haven't found the answer. 
I'm running into error messages in syslog like:

host_access: Config file too big!!
rhost_ok: sethacc failed

Pointers or answers?

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 1996 11:22:22 -0700 (MST)

> host_access: Config file too big!!
How big/how many lines is your ftphosts file?  I was previously running
wu-ftpd v2.4 and ran into a problem after 29 lines.   Everytime I 
added a 30th line, it denied access to anyone.  I switched to beta11
and the problem disappeared.

-- 
Percy Chan    	                 email: [email-masked]
                                 phone: (208)333-7216 
                                   fax: (208)345-9359
--------------------------------------------------------------
Hitachi Computer Products (America), Inc.       /\ \|/  
Boise Technology Center                        /  \-O- /\
960 Broadway Ave. Suite 500                   /    \|\/  \
Boise, ID  83706                             /      \/    \   
==============================================================

---

From: Alain Magloire <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 1996 17:49:20 -0500 (EST)

> host_access: Config file too big!!

for beta-11 the limit is 100
if you want more, you have to recompile and change 
this in hostacc.h:

#define MAXLIN  100     /* Max. number of non-comment and non-empty  */
                        /* lines in config file                      */

> Pointers or answers?

1-
IMHO, I would not recommend increasing MAXLIN, ftp is started by
inetd.conf for each connection. So if you have a very big ftphosts
it can|will affect performance.

Having a big ftpaccess is ok, because ftpd will read the file
in a "grandiose" read() ;-) and put everything in memory. The actual
parsing is done in memory, the file(ftpaccess) will
never be access again. 

That's not the case for ftphosts where the parsing is done at
each line with fgets(). And if you have a big ftphosts that
is a lot of I/O .

2- 
why not trying to do your scheme with the class|limit directives
in ftpaccess ?

--
alain