Subject: Passwords over 8 letters

From: "Andrew C. Saylor" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 1996 08:39:08 -0600 (CST)

All,

  I am running the WUFTP 2.4.2 Beta 11 ftp server. I have compiled this to
work with our Digital 2100 running Digital Unix 3.2g (thanks to help from
these listservs!) I have only one problem left. The FTPD will not allow
authenticated users to log in if their password has more than 8 characters
in it. Has anyone been able to correct this problem? If so, let me know! I
will summarize everything. Thanks All! 

|0|-------------------------------------------------------------------|0|
|0| Andrew C. Saylor                  | "Two in the Box!"	      |0|
|0|        [email-masked]      | "Ready to Go!"		      |0|
|0|    ComSource Inc.                 | "We be fast....               |0|
|0|   101 Plaza East Blvd.  Suite 316 | 			      |0| 
|0|    Evansville, Indiana  47715     | AND THEY BE SLOW!"            |0|
|0|                                   |                               |0|
|0|"Southern Indiana's most powerful  | 			      |0|
|0|   Internet Service Provider       |                               |0|
|0|   and Communications Specialists" |  -Ghostbusters II	      |0|
|0|                                   |     			      |0|
|0| http://www.comsource.net          |                               |0|
|0|     (812)469-0300                 |                               |0|
|0|-------------------------------------------------------------------|0|
|0| I am Pentium of Borg, 					      |0|
|0|		Calculation is Futile, 				      |0|
|0|				You will be approximated!!	      |0|

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 1996 09:04:55 -0600 (CST)

Up to 8 character passwords is standard crypt() behaviour.  The only
options I know of for extending that are to go to doublewide shadow
passwords, but that seems to actually ease the process of breaking the
encryption.  I know there are other schemes available for longer pass
phrases, but they would require source hacks.

   -- Michael