Subject: This is good one...

From: [email-masked] (Clyde Hurst)
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 14:45:25 -0600

Hi everyone,

I just compiled wu-ftp and copied the files to correct
locations (the install did not work).  I had a few
compiler warnings, but nothing to get upset about.  When I ftp'd into
the test system, as a REAL user, everything worked find.  When I did an
anonymous ftp, everything worked ok until I typed 'quit'.  That caused
the test system to crash!!!!!  To make matters worse,  the /etc/shadow
file was over-written with /etc/ftpaccess.  Needless to say, I had to
boot off the cdrom and fix the /etc/shadow file befour I could get root
access.  Does anyone have an idea why this happened?  Rember, the install
did not work, so I manually copied the files to the correct places?

The test machine is a Spac CLassic/ Solaris 5.5.  I used the gcc compiler.

I am glad I did not do the testing on the client platform!

Help, I need this to work.

Clyde Hurst
Systems Admin
Tybrin, INC.
Ft. Walton Beach, FL.

---

From: pstewart <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 15:54:43 -0500 (EST)

Wow... having not worked on a Solaris box in quite some time, but is there
any syslog errors or disk errors etc. showing up?

I know that's probably a dumb question, but it almost sounds like a disk
error of some type... but I"m no expert on a Solaris machine...;->

Just my two cents worth (which is probably wrong)

Paul

--
Out the modem, through the SPARC, down the T3, off the router, past the
frame-relay... nothing but Net.

---

From: [email-masked] (Koos van den Hout _U nix and we all_)
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 22:00:23 +0100 (MET)

Quoting Clyde Hurst, who wrote :

> the test system to crash!!!!!

> The test machine is a Spac CLassic/ Solaris 5.5.  I used the gcc compiler.

Hmm.. I have some slight problems with 5.5 on a classic, but that's
a different ballgame.

Anyway : if the whole system crashes (kernel halt or kernel panic) Sun
will be interested in how you did that and if it's reproducible.

A normal application (like wu-ftpd) should not be able to crash the
system.

                                            Koos van den Hout

-- 
  Koos van den Hout,     Internetter, Unix freak, ISFJ and BBS SysOp at large
  [email-masked] (Home)        BBS Koos z'n Doos (+31-30-6036637 28k8)
  [email-masked] (Work)  <-- finger -l for PGPkey    (+31-30-6056619 14k4)
  http://www.hvu.nl/~koos (WWW)    Looking for a license plate with "RFC 822"