Subject: Can't ftp from web-browsers

From: [email-masked] (Daniel M. Christensen)
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 1996 21:43:19 -0600

I have 3 wu-ftp servers setup at my site:

	ftp.cesoft.com	HP-UX 9.X	wu 2.4
	ftp1.cesoft.com	HP-UX 10.X	wu 2.4
	ftp2.cesoft.com Solaris 5.X	wu 2.4

>From the command line ftp can download the file just fine,(username: qmbeta
password: 1stbeta) but from any Web-browser, sites ftp1 and ftp2 cannot
download the file. Web-browsers from with in our network work fine. I have
check our firewall and I am allowing ftp to each of these sites. Please go
to our web page http://www.cesoft.com and try to download the QuickMail Pro
beta product. Please help me with any suggestions. I have followed all man
pages and faq instructions for setting this up. I have also read the book
Managing Internet Information Services.

Thanks,
Daniel M. Christensen			CE Software, Inc.
Network Admin				http://www.cesoft.com

---

From: Oliver Stoll <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 1996 10:33:07 +0100

> Network Admin                           http://www.cesoft.com

Web browsers usually do passive ftp (i.e. communicate on ports >1024 for
data connections. Thus opening port 20 and 21 won't help. You'll have to
open the 'high' ports for incoming tcp connections in your firewall to
your
bastion host.

Oliver