Subject: Problem with passwd ..

From: Emil Isberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 15:11:07 +0100 (MET)

Hello
I just found some things in the code that I think shouldn't be there ..
but because I am not sure.. I'll ask it to you listusers ..

file: ftpd.c lines: 1259 - 1263
/* ******** REGULAR/GUEST USER PASSWORD PROCESSING ********** */
    if (!anonymous) {    /* "ftp" is only account allowed no password */
        if (*passwd == '-')
            passwd++;
#ifdef SHADOW_PASSWORD

...
Why isn't regular users allowed to have a negativ sign starting the
passwd?
In telnet and the old ftpdeamon that was okey..

/Emil

---

From: [email-masked] (Bill Campbell)
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 09:13:02 -0800 (PST)

>Why isn't regular users allowed to have a negativ sign starting the

They can.  The leading '-' character I think is there to deal with
some brain-dead ftp clients and is used to suppress messages that may
cause them to barf.

If the regular user does have a leading '-' in their password, they
would simply have to double it to '--' (much the same way that cu,
rlogin, and some other programs treat the '~' character that's used to
prefix commands when they start a new line).

Bill
--
INTERNET:   [email-masked]  Bill Campbell; Celestial Systems, Inc.
UUCP:               camco!bill  PO Box 820; 2835 82nd Avenue S.E. S-100
FAX:            (206) 232-9186  Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820; (206) 236-1676
URL: http://www.celestial.com/

Government spending?  I don't know what it's all about.  I don't know
any more about this thing than an economist does, and, God knows, he
doesn't know much.
		-- Will Rogers