Subject: help on using guestgroup....

From: Rob Allen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 16:05:15 -0600

I am using the guestgroup parameter in /etc/ftpaccess to restrict real
users to their home directories. Everything seems to work for the most part
except when the real user needs to delete a file or directory. I duplicated
the directory structure of the /home/ftp for each of the real users (is
there a better way to do this?). There is no rm or rmdir in the /bin dir. I
put them both there to see if it would change things, but of course it didn't.

What would be the next best thing to try?

Thanks,
-Rob

+--------------------------------------------------------------------+
|     _/     _/ _/_/_/_/_/  _/_/_/_/      Rob Allen                  |
|    _/_/   _/     _/     _/              Internet Administrator     |
|   _/ _/  _/     _/       _/_/_/         NTS Communications, Inc.   |
|  _/   _/_/     _/             _/        (806) 762-4565 ext. 4110   |
| _/     _/     _/       _/_/_/_/         E-Mail: [email-masked]    |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------+

---

From: "Matthew N. Reichman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 96 14:30:18 -0800

On Wed, 13 Nov 1996 at 16:05:15
Rob Allen <[email-masked]> wrote:
____________________

> I am using the guestgroup parameter in /etc/ftpaccess to
> restrict real users to their home directories. Everything
> seems to work for the most part except when the real user
> needs to delete a file or directory. I duplicated the
> directory structure of the /home/ftp for each of the real
> users (is there a better way to do this?). There is no rm or
> rmdir in the /bin dir. I put them both there to see if it
> would change things, but of course it didn't._

What are the permissions in each home dir.?

---
Be well

Matthew Reichman <[email-masked]>
NeXTMAIL, SUN Mail & MIME welcome
PGP key --> email w/ subject "request_PGP"

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 16:32:10 -0600 (CST)

This is what the ftp-exec directory is all about.  For guest accounts,
create a ~/bin/ftp-exec directory that contains the executables that you
want to run.  If you use dynamically linked ones, you will also have to
structure the ~/etc, ~/lib, ~/dev ad nauseum directories as needed.  You
will have to train your users to use "site exec cmd file" type commands
also.  Check the docs for more specific info. 

   -- Michael

---

From: Alain Magloire <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 19:06:18 -0500 (EST)

> What would be the next best thing to try?

Well don't bother providing rm | rmdir etc ..
it's a real pain if they're not statically link
and security hazards.

FTP as enough internal commands

DEL (delete)
RMD (rmdir)

just don't forget to enable it in the ftpaccess
and of course the permission must be right.

ftpaccess-----
delete yes guest
etc ...
see man page

--
alain