Subject: timezone error

From: [email-masked] (Thuy Tran)
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 16:16:53 -0600

Got a quick question:  when I do an 'ls -l', the timezone on the files I put are 
exactly 6 hours off.  I copied the file TIMEZONE and the 
/usr/share/lib/zoneinfo/US/Central file to ~ftp/usr/lib/ directory and it still 
doesn't work.  I assume I don't need to copy all the files in 
/usr/share/lib/zoneinfo?  The system's /etc/TIMEZONE is a link to 
/etc/default/init.

The faq also mentioned about recompiling wu-ftpd with SPT_TYPE #undef-ined.  Is 
it by default to define SPT_TYPE?  I ask this because I didn't do anything to 
the Makefile except for adding 'DPARANOID -DANON-ONLY' to the CFLAGS line.

What else am I missing?

Thanks,

Thuy

---

From: Andy Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 16:58:54 -0600 (CST)

I went to ftp.academ.com and got the latest beta release 2.4.2 11. I use 
linux so i added the #define DIRENT_ILLEGAL_ACCESS hack to the glob.c. I 
also added #define SHADOW_PASSWORD and #define VIRTUAL in the config.h.  
I compiled ftpd and everything seemed to work fine. I did some testing 
and things are wonderful when doing anonymous ftp to ftp.realsite.com. 
But when I got my virtual sites set up I tried to do a ftp to 
ftp.virtualsite.com and log in as anonymous, and I got a strange error:

421 service not avaiable, remote server has closed connection
Login failed.
No control connection for command: Illegal seek

What did I do wrong?! Everything works fine except going to virtual hosts 
anonymously.  I can go to a virtual host and log in as a normal user 
fine.  Are there any other linux hack's or patches that I need to fix 
some of these problems? Please send me all the linux hacks or patches if 
you know of any. Thank You

- Andy Smith

+=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=+
| [email-masked]	     | Andrew E. Smith				  |
| [email-masked]      | Assistant System Administrator             |
| Please support the         | River City Internet			  |
| development of Linux       | http://www.mach3ww.com/smitha/		  |
+=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=+

---

From: Perry Rovers <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 01:09:51 +0100 (MET)

> you know of any. Thank You
Did you duplicate the ~ftp structure in the rootdir of the virtual ftp
site? I.e. created etc, bin, pub and all that jazz in the directory
pointed to by virtual <ip> root <dir>  in ftpaccess?

Perry Rovers, Amsterdam (and a number of other places), The Netherlands
Mail: mailto:[email-masked]       | Amsterdam is zo'n gezellige stad
FTP : ftp://ftp.iaehv.nl/pub/users/perry | omdat er zo verdomd veel
WWW : http://www.iaehv.nl/users/perry    | Brabanders wonen - Hans van Mierlo