Subject: Upload questions

From: Jean-Michel Augusto <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 1996 12:34:11 +0000

HI list members,

	I have the WU-FTP 2.4 installed on a Solaris 2.5 box.

I have a problem of uploads rights. I take a look at the FAQ but no 
real answer (I think). So, here is my problem :

	I want the real users be able to upload things in the /pub directory 
of the anonymous server but I don t want guests or anonymous to be able 
to do that.

	The reason: my users (the real ones) want to update the pub directory 
and I wish to set up an easy way to do that. So, I think to authorize 
the upload for real users and not for anonymous. If possible, I want to 
set the owner/mode of the created files.

	I take a look at the 'upload' in ftpaccess but I can t see how to 
achieve this.

	Is there a solution ? Should I upgrade to 2.4.2 beta 11 ?

	I include below an extract of my ftpaccess file:

# all the following default to "yes" for everybody
delete          no      guest,anonymous         # delete permission?
overwrite       no      guest,anonymous         # overwrite permission?
rename		no	guest,anonymous		# rename permission?
chmod           no      anonymous               # chmod permission?
umask           no      anonymous               # umask permission?

# specify the upload directory information
upload /util/ftp/site *             no
upload /util/ftp/site /incoming*     yes     ftp    nobody  0600 dirs
upload /util/ftp/site /pub*       yes     ftp    nobody  0666 dirs

upload /util/ftp/site /private/eo/incoming*	yes	eo	ftponly 0600 dirs
upload /util/ftp/site /private/gomos/*	yes	gomos	ftponly 0600 dirs

Thanks in advance .

-- 

Jean-Michel Augusto
E-mail: <A HREF="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</A>

WWW: <A HREF="http://www.acri.fr/~jma/index.html">My Home Page</A>

WWW Acri Server: <A HREF="http://www.acri.fr/">ACRI Home Page</A>

---

From: Alain Magloire <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 1996 10:40:58 -0500 (EST)

Hello `Jean-Michel Augusto'

> 	The reason: my users (the real ones) want to update the pub directory =
> and I wish to set up an easy way to do that. So, I think to authorize =
> the upload for real users and not for anonymous. If possible, I want to =
> 	I take a look at the 'upload' in ftpaccess but I can t see how to =
> achieve this.

U can upgrade to beta-xx for many reasons(virtual patch, security, ...)
But I doubt that will solve you're configuration problem.

> upload /util/ftp/site /private/gomos/*	yes	gomos	ftponly 0600 dirs

Well from a first look, U can do a couple of improvement

 upload /util/ftp/site *             no
 upload /util/ftp/site /incoming     yes     ftp    nobody  0600 dirs
 upload /util/ftp/site /incoming/*     yes     ftp    nobody  0600 dirs
 upload /util/ftp/site /pub       yes     ftp    nobody  0666 dirs
 upload /util/ftp/site /pub/*       yes     ftp    nobody  0666 dirs
 
 upload /util/ftp/site /private/eo/incoming	yes	eo	ftponly 0600 dirs
 upload /util/ftp/site /private/eo/incoming/*	yes	eo	ftponly 0600 dirs
 upload /util/ftp/site /private/gomos	yes	gomos	ftponly 0600 dirs
 upload /util/ftp/site /private/gomos/*	yes	gomos	ftponly 0600 dirs

why putting "/pub" and "/pub/*" ?
If you only have "/pub/*" you will be able to upload
in all the subdirectories underneath pub but __not in pub__ ;-)
It's a little bug in the regex.

--
alain

---

From: Webmaster <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 1996 12:12:28 -0500

Hi. I'm new to the list and need to understand what advantages there are
to using 2.4.2 beta 11. The reason is that we have a rather well-seated
policy about not using beta software in a production environment here.
Are there problems with 2.4 that would give me grief? Is there a README
or a web site I could go to to give myself a clue?

Thank You,
-- 
Rob Perkins
ALLTEL InterNet Webmaster