Subject: Numbers instead of names

From: Karl Hubner <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 1996 12:31:57 -0500

After seeing a few postings about file owners and groups appearing as
numbers instead of the actual name, I recognized this as a symptom of
~/ftp/etc not being world readable.
"How dose he know this?" you might ask...
Because Karl was too stupid to actually read the INSTALL file carefuly
the first time.

---

From: James Sneeringer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 1996 13:20:14 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 4 Nov 1996, Karl Hubner wrote:
| After seeing a few postings about file owners and groups appearing as
| numbers instead of the actual name, I recognized this as a symptom of
| ~/ftp/etc not being world readable.

It doesn't need to be.  It only needs to be world-executable.  The
~ftp/etc/passwd, however, does indeed need to be world-readable.  The
following are adequate permissions:

  % chmod 711 ~ftp/etc
  % chmod 644 ~ftp/etc/passwd
  % chown -R non-ftp-user ~ftp/etc

-James

---

From: Karl Hubner <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 1996 16:09:31 -0500

Sorry,
I meant executable, but I wrote readable.
IRIX calls it "searchable" in its gui permissions window, and I'm easily
confused.

> James Sneeringer wrote: