Subject: statically linked ls under Solaris 2.5.1

From: [email-masked] (Brett Porter)
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 18:03:21 -0500

I picked up gnu's fileutils but trying to link statically yields the errors:

  symbol                             in file
 dlclose                             /usr/lib/libc.a(nss_deffinder.o)
 dlsym                               /usr/lib/libc.a(nss_deffinder.o)
 dlopen                              /usr/lib/libc.a(nss_deffinder.o)

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

---

From: Emil Isberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 13:33:18 +0100 (MET)

>  dlopen                              /usr/lib/libc.a(nss_deffinder.o)

The problem is that sun doesn't ship a libdl.a file .. And they officially
have said that it isn't possible to compile ls statically .. 
When I asked if I could get the libdl.a (it seam it is the only one I
needed to make ls compile statically), they said that they didn't have one
..

So the problem is that we got an libc.a that tries to get some functions
in libdl.a but there is only a shared version of that file .. So on
Solaris2.5 we can't compile ls statically ..
*sigh*

If anyone create a working libdl.a on Solaris2.5 .. then we don't need all
those ~ftp/usr/lib stuff ..

/Emil

---

From: Jim Davis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 23:15:13 -0700 (MST)

> have said that it isn't possible to compile ls statically .. 

This is discussed in the comp.unix.solaris Frequently Asked Questions
(http://www.fwi.uva.nl/pub/solaris/solaris2), item 6.24.  Which includes a
workaround you could use if you really think a static ls is somehow
necessary or desirable.

---

From: Emil Isberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 1996 11:17:45 +0100 (MET)

Great would be if this is added to the wu-ftpd faq (or at least a pointer
to this site) ..

/Emil