Subject: Access rights to ftp files

From: "Paul Taylor" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 09:42:49 +0000

Hi All

We have a lot of users on our server that like to telnet in and start 
wandering around all the ftp stuff. Is there any way to limit this.

For that matter, is it possible to limit a user to their home 
directory ?, ie. Not be able to cd /home/ftp ?

A chroot would not do it as this would limit their access to 
everything else.

Cheers
Paul
________________________________________________________
N e t C u l t u r e   -  Web Hosting
Web: www.NetCulture.net  -  Email: [email-masked]
Tel: +33 1 45 22 00 02   -  Fax: +33 1 45 22 00 52
1 rue Lemercier, 75017 Paris, France

---

From: Bob Myers <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 12:35:48 -0700

> directory ?, ie. Not be able to cd /home/ftp ?

Sure.  Set permissions accordingly.  Don't allow "other" read
or execute permission to /home/ftp - but this is a UNIX issue,
not an FTP issue.  You need to change the permissions on the
directory itself.