Subject: Re: Problem anonymous ftp

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 16:24:26 +0100 (BST)

You say it's just one machine that you can't connect from ?
Is that machine covered by a deny command in ftpaccess ?
Sometimed there's a line about "deny !nameserverd..." which rejects from
hosts for which it can't resolv a valid name/i.p. address.
Is it mentioned in a file called ftphosts ? ( normally wherever ftpaccess is ) 
Mind you, if either of these was the problem it should get logged to
the logs. Maybe you're not getting a detailed enough log file.
Check what switches are used when ftpd starts up and what they mean.

Anthony

>[email-masked] wrote:
>
> > Anthing in /var/adm/messages ? That's where I get connection refused
> > messages logged to. Things like "bad shell" etcetera.
> 
> Thanks for the reply, no nothing is logged except a connect from 
> xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx thats it.

---

From: Blaine Minazzi <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 10:07:01 -0600

I have _ONE_ client who is complaining about speed of their ftp
connection, also the Telnet and Popmail server.

Their web pages seem to be fine speed wise, but during "peak" hours,
only thier telnet/ftp/pop mail is  s.  l.  o.  w.

THey have used 4 different accounts on differing ISP,s all from the
Phoenix and Chandler Area. ( including an account on infomagic. )
None of these accounts are compuserve/netcom/AOL type of accounts...

I have tried to duplicate the problem, bot everything seems pretty
normal to me.

Our server is not even breaking a sweat, our T-1 not overloaded,
and only this user has reported these kinds of problems.

Methinks it is a router betwixt us... Any other thoughts, suggestions,
etc. He is Only complaining of the FTP, Telnet, and POP.
He says the his web pages are O.K. 

If there is anything in WU-FTP or  FreeBSD that can be tweaked on my
end, I am open to suggestions.

---

From: Steve <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 13:23:32 -0400 (EDT)

I had some users have slowness or stall issues, especially trumpet users,
unless I moved the freebsd boxes the other side of a cisco router.

People dont want to believe me but there is something a bit hokie with
freebsd tcp/ip that I do not see with SCO or Linux - but since going thru
a cisco stops it, I can work with it.

---

From: Joao Daniel Togni <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 15:40:30 +0000 ()

> only thier telnet/ftp/pop mail is  s.  l.  o.  w.
	I had a problem with the win95 and netscape32+trumpet32, i don't 
know why but the connection was slow, than i change my client to 
netscape16+trumpet16, and it works fine, why i dont know too!!!!

Joao Daniel Togni

---

From: Brandon Gillespie <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 12:14:01 -0600 (MDT)

> netscape16+trumpet16, and it works fine, why i dont know too!!!!

my suggestion, try win95 + win95 dialup support + netscape 32--nix trumpet
all together.

-Brandon Gillespie

---

From: David Greenman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 12:46:32 -0700

>a cisco stops it, I can work with it.

   If moving it to the other side of a Cisco stops the problem, then the
problem isn't with TCP/IP. Problems like this can be caused by a number of
things, ranging from incorrect serial port flow control setting to an
unusual bug in the PPP protocol (I assume you're using PPP?). You might try
disabling VJ header compression if it's enabled and see if that makes any
difference.

-DG

David Greenman
Core-team/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project

---

From: Steve <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 17:23:12 -0400 (EDT)

> disabling VJ header compression if it's enabled and see if that makes any

Actually enabling vj compression at the term server (not a freebsd)
elliviated some of it.