Subject: Problems with passive connection

From: Dan Niles <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 15:50:32 -0500

I am running wu-ftpd 2.4 on many Solaris 2.5 boxes.  On one of the boxes,
passive mode does not work.  I get the error message

425 Can't open passive connection: Permission denied.

I haven't found and differences that should matter between the one
that does not work and the ones that do.  I located the error message
in the source, and it seems to be caused by socket errors.  The systems
are all the same, and wu-ftpd is invoked in the same way (ftpd -l).

Does anyone have any suggestions where I might look to find the problem?

Thanks in advance for you help,

Dan Niles

-- 
#--------------------------------#
# Dan Niles      Signatures      #
# [email-masked]   should be small #
#--------------------------------#

---

From: Alain Magloire <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 10:27:43 -0400 (EDT)

> Does anyone have any suggestions where I might look to find the problem?

see koos wu-ftp FAQ (the part on solaris)
http://www.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html

something about /dev/tcp to be chmod +w

--
au revoir, alain

---

From: Andy Ellsworth <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 11:10:18 -0500 (CDT)

> 425 Can't open passive connection: Permission denied.

Try chmod 666 /dev/tcp.  (I think this is in the FAQ.)

+----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Andy Ellsworth  |  [email-masked] |  Admin/Cyberdiplomat, Wuarchive    |
+----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
|  "...The wind was not the beginning.  There are neither beginnings nor     |
| endings to the turning of the Wheel of Time.  But it was _a_ beginning..." |
|                                   --The Wheel of Time saga, Robert Jordan  |
+----------------------------------------------------------------------------+