Subject: Preventing File and/or directory downloads

From: "Andrew C. Saylor" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 18:05:21 -0500 (CDT)

All,

  I realize this may be a FAQ, BUT....  How can I prevent our users
from logging into our system with their userid and password and retrieving
specific files and/or directories.

Specifically, I want them to be able to move files in and out of their
home directories put NOT download any files in the "/etc" directory (yeah,
you guessed it: /etc/passwd and /etc/group).

I am running 2.4.2 beta 11 on a Digital Unix 3.2b machine.

Thanks All!

|0|-------------------------------------------------------------------|0|
|0| Andrew C. Saylor                  | "Two in the Box!"	      |0|
|0|        [email-masked]      | "Ready to Go!"		      |0|
|0|    ComSource Inc.                 | "We be fast....               |0|
|0|   101 Plaza East Blvd.  Suite 316 | 			      |0| 
|0|    Evansville, Indiana  47715     | AND THEY BE SLOW!"            |0|
|0|                                   |                               |0|
|0|"Southern Indiana's most powerful  | 			      |0|
|0|   Internet Service Provider       |                               |0|
|0|   and Communications Specialists" |  -Ghostbusters II	      |0|
|0|                                   |     			      |0|
|0| http://www.comsource.net          |                               |0|
|0|     (812)469-0300                 |                               |0|
|0|-------------------------------------------------------------------|0|
|0| I am Pentium of Borg, 					      |0|
|0|		Calculation is Futile, 				      |0|
|0|				You will be approximated!!	      |0|

---

From: Alain Magloire <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 1996 14:41:15 -0400 (EDT)

> I am running 2.4.2 beta 11 on a Digital Unix 3.2b machine.

there is a `noretrieve' command in ftpaccess
The downside is it doesn't do globbing

something like

noretrieve /etc/passwd /etc/group

There is also the undocumented `.notar' file

--
alain
----------------------
.signature --> /dev/null