Subject: Re:

From: Jose Luis Martinez Garcia <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 14:42:12 +0100

At 17:37 9/10/96 -0400, you wrote:
>Dear WUFTPD'ers,
>
> Have been using the WU-FTPD 2.4 version successfully for a while now.
>Was asked recently to add untar, unzip, uncompress capabilities for files
>being uploaded with certain suffixes.
>
> Have made the entries in the ftpconversions file according to the sample
>version. Have put all binaries under each guest account I am using and 
>have used the chroot command to verify correct operation. Turned on
>tar and compress commands in ftpaccess file for guest (and real since in
>log I saw my guest accounts had an r as type) accounts.
>
> But everytime I upload a file.Z or file.tar it just gets uploaded (which used
>to be good enough ;-) Below is my test conversion file format. I have read
>everything I could find and tried everything I can think of but dont know
>what I am missing to get an uploaded file processed. A lot of the things I 
>read referred to downloaded files being processed, I assume in even the
>base 2.4 version that processing uploaded files did work? 
>

I think that wuftpd does tar and compress "on the fly", but not untar or
uncompress. I mean that if there is a file called pepito.txt and you do a
"get pepito.txt.Z" command, wuftpd will compress the file pepito.txt, but
if the file is already compressed, i.e., its name is pepito.txt.Z, wuftpd
won't uncompress it.

I hope this answers your question. Maybe I misunderstood.

Regards.

 @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
 @  Jose Luis Martinez Garcia  @                                   @
 @                             @       Tel: 34 1 (83) 354033       @
 @   Administrador de Redes    @       Fax: 34 1 (83) 354738       @
 @        SITECAL, S.A.        @                                   @ 
 @     Valladolid (Spain)      @      e-mail: [email-masked]     @
 @         EIC-ES224           @                                   @
 @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

---

From: Alain Magloire <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 13:40:36 -0400 (EDT)

[original post deleted]
> I hope this answers your question. Maybe I misunderstood.

Maybe I'm missing something also

A-
 But first let's make it clear, a client(ftp, netscape, whatever) cannot,
 when doing uploads, {un,}compress or {un,}tar on the fly (i.e doing
 `mput' or `put' to the /pub/incoming or where/ever directory).

 The ftpconversions is for __download__
 (i.e. when doing `mget' or `get')

B-
 and yes, you can uncompress on the fly
 with ftpconversion rule:
 :.Z:  :  :/bin/compress -d -c %s:T_REG|T_ASCII:O_UNCOMPRESS:UNCOMPRESS
 or whatever you have

 ftp>ls
 file.Z
 ftp>get file

 will uncompress on the fly the file.Z

C-
 untarring on the fly is useless, within FTP transfert.

> Regards.

same here

--
alain