Subject: Help setting up virtual ftp with access control

From: Aviram Carmi <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 21:21:27 -0700

Hi all,

This is what I am struggling to do, I tried to read all the man/faq etc,
and did not find a solution:

I need to setup a virtual ftp server, there should only be 8 users allowed,
and each when they login should be restricted to the virtual root directory
for the server, and automatically be 'cd'ed into their home directory.

there are 5 users each should have their own private directory where only
they and the "superuser" can see and access the files.  one guest account
that can use the 'pub' directory to get files, one superuser account which
can access all directories and put and get stuff from all directories, one
inbox directory where all users can put files for the superuser to get.

I am not even sure about the directory setup and permission, but I guess I
have to get the ftp stuff working first....

I set up the password file with /home/ftp/virtual1/./user1 entries for the
directory, I setup the virtual root command, but when a user logs in, they
endup in the real top level of my directory  i.e. '/', not even at the root
of the virtual server which should be /home/ftp/virtual1.

Only when I do an anonymous login I am restricted to the virtual root
directory...

Any idea where I can find docs/readme/howto on how to set something like this?

I did read the discussion about the '-a' not being a default, so I checked
my inetd.conf file and it does start up in.ftpd with -l and -a options.

Thanks in advance,

-avi

here are snippets from ftpaccess, password, group files...

guestgroup group1 group2

virtual 204.176.111.200 root /home/ftp/virtual1
virtual 204.176.111.200 logfile /var/ftp/virtual1.xferlog

from passwd:

guest0:*:606:601:shumsky:/home/ftp/virtual1/./pub:/bin/true
user1:*:601:601:shumsky cust1:/home/ftp/virtual1/./private1:/bin/true
user2:*:602:601:shumsky cust2:/home/ftp/virtual1/./private2:/bin/true
user3:*:603:601:shumsky cust3:/home/ftp/virtual1/./private3:/bin/true
user4:*:604:601:shumsky cust4:/home/ftp/virtual1/./private4:/bin/true
user5:*:605:601:shumsky cust5:/home/ftp/virtual1/./private5:/bin/true
usersuper:*:600:600:shumsky master account:/home/ftp/virtual1/./:/bin/true
userinbox:*:600:601:shumsky master inbox:/home/ftp/virtual1/./inbox:/bin/true

from group

group1::600:usersuper
group2::601:guest0,user1,user2,user3,user4,user5,suserinbox