Subject: RE: guest accounts

From: "Madden, Joe" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 1996 16:00:40 -0400

Colleen,

I didn't see anything in your message which indicates that you copied
the static binary from the /sbin/ls directory into the ~ftp/bin
directory.  This is essential to get your long listing ("ls -l" or
"dir") to work.  On my 3.2c platform this is approximately 10 times the
size of the dynamically linked version (about 400 KB).  Also,
/etc/siainitgood will help you only if you want user and group name
mapping.  Some sysadmin's prefer keeping this under wraps.  I hope that
helps.

>----------
>From: 	[email-masked][SMTP:[email-masked]]
>Sent: 	Friday, October 04, 1996 5:15 PM
>To: 	[email-masked]
>Subject: 	guest accounts 
>
>I have recently installed wuftp on our ftp server running DU 3.2C.  
>I set up a few "guest" users and everything seemd to work fine. Those
>users are restricted to their home directories which is what I
>wanted.  The only thing I can't get to work is when the guest
>user does a long listing of their directory within ftp it comes
>back with the uid and gid numbers instead of the actual user and
>group names on the files.  I followed the instructions and created
>an etc directory under the users home directory.  I put a stipped
>down version of the password and group files in the directory
>and changed the ownership and permissions on the files to what
>the instructions said to do.  Is there something else I'm missing?
>Does it have anything to do with the /etc/sia/siainitgood file?
>If so what is that file and why do I need it?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Colleen Harry
>