Subject: Re: real users

From: [email-masked] (Thuy Tran)
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 09:54:02 -0600

That was it!  Thank you so much

Thuy

------------- Begin Forwarded Message -------------

>From [email-masked] Mon Oct 28 14:41:49 1996
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 1996 12:28:04 -0800
From: Andrew Longsworth <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: real users
Mime-Version: 1.0
X-Listprocessor-Version: 7.1 -- ListProcessor by CREN

>I recompiled wu-ftp-2.4 on Solaris 2.4 and am testing it now.  Anonymous and
>guestgroups login work correctly but real users are not.  I read in 'Managing
>Internet Information Services' that real users are not supposed to be
>chrooted
>yet mine are.  And of course since it's chroot to its home directory,
>commands
>like like 'ls' gives the infamous 'can't create data socket' error because it
>does not have the etc,bin,usr directories.

I believe that the problem you are experiencing has to do with the fact
that the real users you want to use are members of one of your guest
groups. This is the main reason that it is not advisable to use a guest
group of something like staff or user. I created a separate special group
for guests called (very originally!) ftponly. This way, only those members
of that group get a chroot performed upon their login.

Hope this solves your problem,

Andrew Longsworth

------------- End Forwarded Message -------------