Subject: Virtual FTP servers

From: HOL FTP Administrator <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 1996 14:41:03 -0200 (GMT)

Hello,

	I wasn't sure about which address to use to contact for
information about setting up Virtual FTP servers so I'm using both
[email-masked] and [email-masked].

	I would be very gratefull if you could help me a little bit on
setting a Virtual FTP Server with your software...

	So far i've installed the wu-ftpd, Version
wu-2.4.2-academ[BETA-11](1), but it seems I can't get the virtual server
running. So if it's possible please advice me about how to do it( the
small example that you have written in VIRTUAL.FTP.SERVERS file does not
help me much... the name of the ftp server is ftp.hol.gr and because I am
planning of having a big variety of mirrored sites (e.x. Netscape,
Microsoft, HP, etc..) I would like the users of the ftp server to be able
to make an ftp(for example) to microsoft.hol.gr and connect to ftp.hol.gr
with /home/ftp/pub/msdownload/ as their home directory... 

I hope I will hear from u soon..

TIA

     Pantelis K. Parvantonis
      System Administrator
Hellas On Line S.A. - UUNET PIPEX

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 1996 08:16:48 -0600 (CST)

Read the file VIRTUAL.FTP.SUPPORT in the root directory of the wu-ftpd
distribution.  You will also have to set up your DNS entries for the name
resolution. 

   -- Michael

---

From: Karl Hubner <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 1996 08:44:30 -0400

After using wu-ftp for a while, I have only recently had to try virtual
ftp hosting. I noticed in the ftpaccess man file that
        "Your operating system may not support this feature.
         It has been tested on BSD/OS, Solaris 2.X and Linux..."
Has anyone had any luck with IRIX?
I compiled with -DVIRTUAL, included the "virtual <address> <root>
<path>"
line, but it seemed to have no effect. I get the same document root
that I have been using all along.
Is beta-11 completely "patched" for virtual hosting?
If someone has an IRIX 6.2ish binary (that's working with virtual hosts)
would you consider sending it to me?
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
p.s. VIRTUAL.FTP.SUPPPORT (three Ps in my distribution)