Subject: guest accounts

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 96 17:15:43 -0400

I have recently installed wuftp on our ftp server running DU 3.2C.  
I set up a few "guest" users and everything seemd to work fine. Those
users are restricted to their home directories which is what I
wanted.  The only thing I can't get to work is when the guest
user does a long listing of their directory within ftp it comes
back with the uid and gid numbers instead of the actual user and
group names on the files.  I followed the instructions and created
an etc directory under the users home directory.  I put a stipped
down version of the password and group files in the directory
and changed the ownership and permissions on the files to what
the instructions said to do.  Is there something else I'm missing?
Does it have anything to do with the /etc/sia/siainitgood file?
If so what is that file and why do I need it?

Thanks in advance,
Colleen Harry

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 1996 17:26:18 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 4 Oct 1996 [email-masked] wrote:

> .....

Sounds like you've done it right, and at least ls is working.  Are
permissions and ownership such that /etc and the files can be read?  Are
the files in the right internal format? Sorry for the pedantic questions,
but at this point the small stuff makes a difference. 

> If so what is that file and why do I need it?

I've certainly never heard of this file.  Where did you hear about it,
and/or how did it get created? 

   -- Michael

---

From: Alain Magloire <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 1996 22:19:51 -0400 (EDT)

> the instructions said to do.  Is there something else I'm missing?

well if you want the ls command to map the uid and gid numbers
for strings they must be entries in the passwd file passwd
file for them
i.e
--passwd---
joe:x:100:110:Joe Smith:/where/ever:/bin/ftponly

--group---
me:x:110

then 'ls' will map UID 100 and GID 110 to
joe and me

Bye the they don't have to correspond to real users
i.e what's in the _real_ passwd file.

> If so what is that file and why do I need it?

???? !!!!!

What the H*** is /etc/sia/s* ? 8-{}

what type of OS are you running ?

--
alain

---

From: System Manager <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Oct 1996 01:01:24 -0400 (EDT)

Yes, you do need the /etc/sia/siainitgood file to display uid/gid
mapping in ls.  You may also need a copy of matrix.conf, but I don't think
you have to.  The /etc/sia/siainitgood is just an empty file, but it needs
to be there.

	For those wondering what this is, its for SIA, Security
Integration Archecture, a part of Digital UNIX.  DU gets real picky about
things like that.

> > If so what is that file and why do I need it?

____________________________________________________________________

Tom Leffingwell	       	       Office: SBA 317M		      	   
Systems Manager 	       Office Phone: (305) 284-1771        
Network Security	       Email: [email-masked]	       

School of Business	     	   
University of Miami  		 
____________________________________________________________________