Subject: Help: 'Some' Anonymous users kicked off !

From: "Paul Taylor" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 19:19:38 +0000

Hi All

We are having a VERY strange problem.

An anonymous user (on a PPP dialup) can't connect via anonymous ftp. 
He enters anonymous and his email as password (just as normal) and 
then he gets the message 'Connection closed by remote host'.

What I can't understand is :-

1/ I have tried to login from a number of other sites and it works 
   fine.
2/ There is nothing in the ftpaccess file to deny access to anyone !

His IP can not re resolved to an IP address, but this is not the 
problem as I have got another users who's IP maps to dns fine but 
still has the problem. Could it be problem with speed on dialup ?

If anyone can help I'll email a copy of the ftpaccess file 
(privately).

Use are happy to try and connect to test it, it is ftp.microside.com

Many thanks for anything you can offer, I'm getting a bit frustrated 
with this now.

Cheers
Paul
________________________________________________________
N e t C u l t u r e   -  Web Hosting
Web: www.NetCulture.net  -  Email: [email-masked]
Tel: +33 1 45 22 00 02   -  Fax: +33 1 45 22 00 52
1 rue Lemercier, 75017 Paris, France

---

From: "Peter C. Norton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 14:58:22 -0400 (EDT)

> then he gets the message 'Connection closed by remote host'.

Are you launching ftpd from tcpd?  If you have tcp_wrappers configured to
verify that a hosts A and PTR records match, then it'll drop a connection
that doesn't.

--
Faster isn't better.  Better is better.

[email-masked] 
http://www.sensenet.com
Systems Administrator, Sensenet, Inc.