Subject: real users

From: [email-masked] (Thuy Tran)
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 1996 13:56:25 -0600

I recompiled wu-ftp-2.4 on Solaris 2.4 and am testing it now.  Anonymous and 
guestgroups login work correctly but real users are not.  I read in 'Managing 
Internet Information Services' that real users are not supposed to be chrooted 
yet mine are.  And of course since it's chroot to its home directory, commands 
like like 'ls' gives the infamous 'can't create data socket' error because it 
does not have the etc,bin,usr directories.

Was there a flag I needed to use during the compile?  Has anybody seen this 
before?

Thanks,
Thuy

---

From: Andrew Longsworth <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 1996 12:28:04 -0800

>does not have the etc,bin,usr directories.

I believe that the problem you are experiencing has to do with the fact
that the real users you want to use are members of one of your guest
groups. This is the main reason that it is not advisable to use a guest
group of something like staff or user. I created a separate special group
for guests called (very originally!) ftponly. This way, only those members
of that group get a chroot performed upon their login.

Hope this solves your problem,

Andrew Longsworth