Subject: 425 Can't create data socket (0.0.0.0,20): Bad file number.

From: Kim Holburn <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 11:37:47 +1000

That says it all for now.  How do I get it to open sockets to the right
address, and log connections for that matter.

Oh yeah, it's a sun4c running Solaris 2.4

Kim

--
+-------------------------+--------------------------------------------+
| Kim Holburn             |  Internet : [email-masked]            |
| Computer Centre ISD     |  PGP Public Key :                          |
| University of Canberra  |   finger -l [email-masked] |
| PO Box 1 Belconnen      |  Phone    : (06)201 5512, (06)201 5500     |
| ACT  Australia  2617    |  Fax      : (06)201 5502, (06)201 5501     |
+-------------------------+--------------------------------------------+
|      born again and again and again and again and again buddhist     |
|                      well... in a previous life anyway  :-)          |
+----------------------------------------------------------------------+

---

From: Kim Holburn <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 16:14:44 +1000

>Oh yeah, it's a sun4c running Solaris 2.4

Thanks for the replies, unfortunately I have created those devices.  I
think they are correct.  I tried different permissions on the
~ftp/dev/directory itself but to no avail.:

# ls -l ~ftp/dev
total 4
d--x--x--x   2 root     other        512 Oct 21 12:05 ./
drwxr-xr-x   9 root     other        512 Oct 21 16:05 ../
crw-rw-rw-   1 root     other     11, 42 Oct 21 12:05 tcp
cr--r--r--   1 root     other     13, 12 Oct 21 12:05 zero

---

From: Kim Holburn <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 11:57:07 +1000

Solaris 2.4 sun4c

At 4:42 PM +1000 22/10/96, Vincent Cojot wrote:
>crw-rw-rw-   1 root     other     11,  9 Aug 15  1994 ticotsord
>crw-rw-rw-   1 root     other     11, 41 Aug 15  1994 udp

At 5:21 PM +1000 22/10/96, Miquel Cabanas. BBM-UAB wrote:
>i also have:
>   crw-rw-rw-   1 root     other    105,  1 Mar 22  1996 ticotsord
>   crw-rw-rw-   1 root     other     11, 41 Mar 22  1996 udp
>this is with Solaris 2.5.1, so major and minor no may differ from those in
>Sol2.4

I added those two devices, no luck.  I've remounted the volume with the
nosuid option off.  No change.

I just realised that Miquel and Vincent have different device numbers for
ticotsord whatever that is.

/home/ftp/dev# ls -l
total 4
d--x--x--x   2 root     other        512 Oct 23 10:24 ./
drwxr-xr-x   9 root     other        512 Oct 21 16:05 ../
crw-rw-rw-   1 root     other     11, 42 Oct 21 12:05 tcp
crw-rw-rw-   1 root     other    105,  1 Oct 23 10:24 ticotsord
crw-rw-rw-   1 root     other     11, 41 Oct 23 10:24 udp
crw-rw-rw-   1 root     other     13, 12 Oct 21 12:05 zero

ftp> ls
200 PORT command successful.
425 Can't create data socket (0.0.0.0,20): Bad file number.

I tried just running the ftpd and typing commands directly using stdin and
stdout.  When I try an ls I get the following:

# ftpd
220 fred FTP server (Version wu-2.4(5) Mon Oct 21 15:22:38 EST 1996) ready.
user ftp
331 Guest login ok, send your complete e-mail address as password.
pass fred@nurks
230-
230-Welcome to the University of Canberra FTP Server
230-
230 Guest login ok, access restrictions apply.
list
425 Can't create data socket (0.0.0.0,65535): Bad file number.
quit
221 Goodbye.

In the messages file I get the following:

Oct 23 11:50:39 fred ftpd[459]: setsockopt (SO_OOBINLINE): Invalid argument
Oct 23 11:50:39 fred ftpd[459]: fcntl F_SETOWN: Invalid argument

from an ftp session I get no logs even though my config file has the
following line:

log commands real,anonymous

Kim