Subject: Re: hang on newport

From: Dan Stromberg - OAC-DCS <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 1996 10:52:07 -0700

This seems remarkably similar to a problem I heard about on the wuftpd
list.

To make a longish story short, I've chosen to recompile tcsh to use
the getwd provided by libgeneric
(ftp://autoinst.acs.uci.edu/pub/generic.tar.gz), instead of using the
getwd provided by the tcsh distribution.  libgeneric's getwd is a
wrapper around getcwd.

The getwd in the tcsh distribution contains the following
disconcerting comment:

            /*
             * Parent has a different device. This is a mount point so we
             * need to stat every member
             */

If I don't have this on the production dcslib servers later today,
I'll drop you note indicating as much.

BTW, "su - swallace" no longer appears to get stuck.  It suddenly
started working while I was doing a truss - perhaps because subnet 56
is intermittant, but not completely down.

> When someone starts up a csh or tcsh on newport, it does a search
> to try to figure out the directory it's in.  It's haning
> on an lstat of /users/rui1:
> 
> lstat("./../../rui1", 0xEFFFC480) (sleeping...)
> 
> So no one with a csh or tcsh shell can logon  (I already had one
> started up at home so I was lucky)
> 
> Could you please fix this ASAP?  Is there a way to prevent this?
> 
> Steven