Subject: Re: Wu-ftp problems with Digital Unix

From: "Andrew C. Saylor" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 1996 15:13:01 -0500 (CDT)

I got this too. Add this to your ./src/ftpd.c source code:

	#define SPT_SCO         6       /* write kernel u. area */

	/* FTP server. */
	#include "config.h"
	#include <cma.h>	<<<    ADD THIS LINE!

	#include <sys/types.h>

The "timeval" sturcture is defined in this "cma.h" header file.

Incidentally, I am having a terrible time getting wu-ftpd to work with my
Alpha 3.2B machine and it's C2 security. It compiles and functions just
fine with anonymous FTP, but it will not do authenticated
(username/password) FTP. Even installing the patches dosn't work.

If you find a solution, or if it works OK on your system, would you let me
know?  Thanks!

-Andy Saylor,  Systems Admin.

On Mon, 7 Oct 1996, Oscar J. Bolivar G. wrote:

acs>Hello:
acs>
acs>I have trouble compiling wu_ftpd on a Digital Unix system.
acs>The version of wu-ftp is 2.4.2 beta 11.
acs>Here is the error message I got when I compile it:
acs>
acs>/usr/lib/cmplrs/cc/cfe: Error: ftpd.c, line 2165: storage size for
acs>'timeout' isn
acs>struct timeval timeout;
acs>-----------------------^
acs>/usr/lib/cmplrs/cc/cfe: Error: ftpd.c, line 2165: Reference an
acs>expression of vo.
acs>struct timeval timeout;
acs>-----------------------^
acs>/usr/lib/cmplrs/cc/cfe: Error: ftpd.c, line 2165: Reference an
acs>expression of vo.
acs>struct timeval timeout;
acs>-----------------------^
acs>
acs>
acs>In addition, I need, please, any flag necessary in order to compile
acs>and work with this product in Digital Unix 3.2 with Enhanced Security
acs>(C2)
acs>
acs>I would like to thank you for any help that you can provide for me.
acs>
acs>Thanks again for your help!
acs>
acs>
acs>Oscar J. Bolivar G.
acs>STA - COlombia
acs>
acs>
acs>E-mail:   [email-masked]
acs>

|0|-------------------------------------------------------------------|0|
|0| Andrew C. Saylor                  | "Two in the Box!"	      |0|
|0|        [email-masked]      | "Ready to Go!"		      |0|
|0|    ComSource Inc.                 | "We be fast....               |0|
|0|   101 Plaza East Blvd.  Suite 316 | 			      |0| 
|0|    Evansville, Indiana  47715     | AND THEY BE SLOW!"            |0|
|0|                                   |                               |0|
|0|"Southern Indiana's most powerful  | 			      |0|
|0|   Internet Service Provider       |                               |0|
|0|   and Communications Specialists" |  -Ghostbusters II	      |0|
|0|                                   |     			      |0|
|0| http://www.comsource.net          |                               |0|
|0|     (812)469-0300                 |                               |0|
|0|-------------------------------------------------------------------|0|
|0| I am Pentium of Borg, 					      |0|
|0|		Calculation is Futile, 				      |0|
|0|				You will be approximated!!	      |0|

---

From: System Manager <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 01:09:25 -0400 (EDT)

The reason anon ftp works and usernames work is because wuftpd
uses unprotected password database calls for password information.  Prior
to beta-9 (or was it 10?)  you had to patch the code yourself.  However,
SCO C2 support was added in recent versions, and that code is virtually
identical to what DU uses in 3.2, it will still work, but dec doesn't
suggest it.  Since your just reading entries, it won't harm anything.
Anyway, I can't remember exactly what needs to be changed in the Makefile,
but look at the SCO Makefile, any references to prot.h and sys/security.h
and things of this nature should be included.  If I get the time I'll
write a patch for C2 that will work with beta-11 and post it.  I'm still
running beta 9.  Also, any references to defining Secureware should be put
in the osf makefile.