Subject: AIX wu-ftpd bottleneck

From: chip carman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 96 17:07:59 -0700

Hi:

We are running WU-FTPD on our AIX with 176MB memory without problems.  We 
upgraded from one T1 to two T1's, but can't take advantage of the 
bandwidth because if I allow greater than 40 simultaneous anonymous ftp 
users everyting seems to choke. Over 40 users a new login may work, but 
most often it is so slow as to cause an HTML browser to claim there is no 
such directory or file.

Have any of you experienced this behaviour, and found a solution ?

The cpu states are low:  .8% system, 0.0% wait, 97% idle
Real memory:             52.5M pros, 15.9M files 107.7M free

-------------------------------------------------------
          chip carman,Web Administrator Macworld Online
                  [email-masked]
                    http://www.macworld.com

---

From: "Walter Harms" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Oct 1996 14:14:23 +0200 (MET DST)

> most often it is so slow as to cause an HTML browser to claim there is no 

	i run a AIX 4.1 and have terrible problems to get wu-ftpd to work,
	normaly he accepts a login but closes instandly because he thinks
	that the user has taken to long to insert his passwd.
	I found also that IBM has fiddled with the ftp-login e.g. a ls
	will not work if you dont run the anon.ftp script.

	maybe thats a hint ?

	walter

-- 
-----
"That is the dematerializing control, and that over yonder is the horizontal
 hold.  Up there is the scanner, those are the doors, that is a chair with a
 panda on it, sheer poetry dear boy!"
-----