Subject: Help ! (on ls -al and dir commands)

From: "Monereau, Alex" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 96 13:46:00 EDT

I've just installed wu-ftpd 2.4 on SunOS (4.1.3) system. Its working fine, 
however I've setup guest groups in order to chroot all guests in a 
particular directory. A, couple of problems, I can not issue the " ls -al" 
or the " dir " command. It comes up blank.

Can you help me please ???

Alexm

[email-masked]
(212) 553-4525
fax (212) 553-4047

---

From: Thomas Chung <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 13:52:27 -0700 (PDT)

I had similar problem when I installed wuftp 2.4 on Solaris x86 2.5
a few weeks ago.  Double check your ~/ftp directory tree, make sure
the correct files are there, and all the permissions are set properly.
That was my problem.

---

From: Alain Magloire <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 10:23:51 -0400 (EDT)

> Can you help me please ???

you're probably missing some files under 

lib/*
or
dev/*

see the guestgroup configuration in koos's wu-ftp FAQ.

The best thing to do .. is to rip off `ls' from GNU fileutils and
compile it statically. So you'll be able to move `ls' around
without having to worry about some files missing after the chroot().

--
au revoir, alain

---

From: Lindsay Haisley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 09:57:41 -0500 (CDT)

If Alex is using guest groups with access granted to a tree other than ~ftp
then the guest tree needs to be set up exactly like the ~ftp tree, i.e. he
needs a bin directory with copy of the statically linked ls binary and
whatever else he wants his guest users to be able to run.

"Thus spake Thomas Chung"

-- 
Lindsay Haisley          | "Everything works     |   PGP public key
FMP Computer Services    |       if you let it"  |   available via
[email-masked]           |    (The Roadie)       |   Internet finger
http://www.fmp.com       |                       |

---

From: Thomas Chung <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 11:24:24 -0700 (PDT)

> without having to worry about some files missing after the chroot().

I'm curious.  Has anybody got GNU fileutils to link statically
on Solaris x86 2.5 using gcc?  I couldn't.

---

From: Oliver Stoll <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 23:12:28 +0200

Lindsay Haisley wrote:

> > > or the " dir " command. It comes up blank.

I've seen that problem occuring with missing dev/zero files. Check your
man
pages to find out about the device number.

Oliver

-- 
                          Oliver Stoll                       
		  Dipl.-Inform. (FH) (Karlsruhe)
     (somewhere in between B.Sc and M.Sc in Computer Science ;)

Private Contractor, specialized in (inter)networking, Client/Server
Architecures and Object Orientation.

Im Jueden 31				Email: [email-masked]
76646 Bruchsal				Tel: +49 7257 5396
Federal Republic of Germany

---

From: Alain Magloire <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 18:54:46 -0400 (EDT)

> on Solaris x86 2.5 using gcc?  I couldn't.

you should read the Solaris FAQ, it got pointers to binaries.

I don't Have Solaris .. yet <sigh !>

but from my(too)  brief encounter with Solaris, you have to
provide some stubs for the dl* function dlopen(), dlclose(), etc ..
You can get `ls' link(statically) without them. Well, at least
on a Sparc running Solaris-2.5 with gcc-2.7.2.1

See Solaris Faq by Casper D.

--
bonne journe'e, alain

P.S: it compiles okdoke on my SunOS-4.x boxes