Subject: 421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 19:29:15 +0000

Hi There

I have what I think is a very easy question. We have just been 
connected onto the net and have wu-ftp working fine. The only thing 
is that when a machine not on our local net tries to 'ftp' to us they 
get the following :-

421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Paul

---

From: [email-masked] (Koos van den Hout _U nix and we all_)
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 21:23:02 +0200 (MET DST)

> Any help will be greatly appreciated.

First guess.. tcpd disallowed the ftp connection.

Better guesses by telnetting to the ftp port and seeing if there's any
error or checking the syslog.

This error is generated by the ftp client when the ftp server closes the
connection unexpected.

                                         Koos van den Hout

-- 
  Koos van den Hout,     Internetter, Unix freak, ISFJ and BBS SysOp at large
  [email-masked] (Home)        BBS Koos z'n Doos (+31-30-6036637 28k8)
  [email-masked] (Work)  <-- finger -l for PGPkey    (+31-30-6056619 14k4)
  http://www.hvu.nl/~koos (WWW)    Looking for a license plate with "RFC 822"
  Quando Omni Flunkis Moritati (If all else fails - play dead)     KH106-RIPE