Subject: Re: busy ftp server on Linux

From: "Jon Stevens" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 1996 12:34:22 -0700

> Sep 16 11:20:36 un inetd[83]: ftp/tcp server failing (looping), 
> service terminated 

Ohhhhh!!!! I know that answer! :)

The problem is that I only know the answer for SunOS 4.1.3 boxes...

Basically, I used to get that all the time until I found the 
following patch...

check this out...

from: Patch-ID# 100178-09 (you can get it at ftp.elvis.ru )

inetd refuses to accept more than 40 connects per minute on a
particular socket (loop detection)

The SS1 is fast enough, that you can end up legitimately calling
rsh more than 40 times per minute.

This patch adds a new argument, "-r", to inetd that allows you to
specify number of connections allowed in the given time in seconds.
The default is to allow 40 connections in a 60 second period, E.G:

/usr/etc/inetd -r 40 60

Typically for a faster machine you might up this to 60 connections
per minute, E.G:

/usr/etc/inetd -r 60 60

Jon (no h) S. Stevens        [email-masked]
ClearInk WebMagus      http://www.clearink.com/
finger [email-masked] for pgp pub key
OutLinerCGI coming soon!
http://www.clearink.com/OutLinerCGI.outl