Subject: Server shutting down

From: [email-masked] (Aaron Stpierre)
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 16:32:23 -0400 (EDT)

Anyone have a quick explanation for this ? 

220-You are currently user 0 out of 50 users allowed.
220- 
220-Local time is Wed Sep 18 16:30:20 1996 .
220- 
220-All questions or problems, please email [email-masked]
220-
220 lepton FTP server (Version wu-2.4(3) Wed Sep 18 16:22:35 EDT 1996) ready.
Name (.:root): stpiera
221 Server shutting down.  Goodbye.

I cannot log in , it never prompts me for a password .. Also I have 
sucessfully run ckconfig , and it responded with all of the config files
being in proper order .. 

Thanks 
-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------
Aaron J. St. Pierre					Systems Administrator
[email-masked]					Houghton Mifflin Co.  
http://www.bsd.net/exabyte
-------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Brian Freeze <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 15:14:17 -0300

> sucessfully run ckconfig , and it responded with all of the config files
As a rule if you don't have your ftpaccess file or tcpd wrappers setup
to allow access from the outside world you will get the error message.
For tcpd wrappers check host.allow and host.deny and for your ftpaccess
make sure that you have the right options in for what you want to do.
Make sure the top lines in your ftpaccess file allow for logins from
outside. There is an example ftpaccess file with the source of the
wu-ftpd.

Hope this helps.

---

From: Alain Magloire <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 1996 10:59:39 -0400 (EDT)

> sucessfully run ckconfig , and it responded with all of the config files

read the FAQ...
<URL:http://www.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html>

it says:

  8. Running wu-ftpd 

         1. ftpd allways says "221 Server shutting down. Goodbye." 
            
            The directive ftpshut in the ftpaccess file points to a file
            that exists at that moment. Either change the directive or
            delete the file.

            Also, after you've used the ftpshut command, you'll need to
            remove the ftpshut file by hand.