Subject: Re: SITE EXEC

From: [email-masked] (Koos van den Hout _U nix and we all_)
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 1996 12:08:46 +0200 (MET DST)

Quoting [email-masked], who wrote :

> I recently got wu-ftpd 2.4(2) installed on my HP-UX 10.01 system, but now I
> don't know what I need to do to get SITE EXEC to work.  We have a number of
> processes on our mainframe that need to log into the HPUX box, FTP down some
> files, and kick off some shell scripts before logging out.
> 
> Take this scenario.  I have a user tu in group users.  In /home/tu, there is
> a file tu:

It would greatly circumvent security if users could exec any binary in their
homedir. You need to set FTP_EXECPATH to the directory of binaries that they
may run.

                                            Koos van den Hout

-- 
  Koos van den Hout,     Internetter, Unix freak, ISFJ and BBS SysOp at large
  [email-masked] (Home)        BBS Koos z'n Doos (+31-30-6036637 28k8)
  [email-masked] (Work)  <-- finger -l for PGPkey    (+31-30-6056619 14k4)
  http://www.hvu.nl/~koos (WWW)    Looking for a license plate with "RFC 822"
  Quando Omni Flunkis Moritati (If all else fails - play dead)     KH106-RIPE

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 1996 05:52:40 -0400

#!/bin/sh
/usr/bin/date >> stamp

When I login via FTP, I just type the following:

ftp> site exec tu

     or,

ftp> quote site exec tu

but all I get is the following:

ftp> site exec tu
200-tu
200  (end of 'tu')
ftp>

and nothing changes.  I can't see where the file is even accessed.  Nor can
I find in the documentation exactly what I need to setup in order for users
to access the system via SITE EXEC commands.

Rick