Subject: Contents of wu-ftpd FAQ

From: [email-masked] (Koos van den Hout _U nix and we all_)
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 1996 15:03:02 +0200 (MET DST)

* Contents of the FAQ file for wu-ftpd. The complete file can be found at
http://www.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html

    1. Contents of this FAQ
       
         1. Contents of this FAQ
         2. What is wu-ftpd itself and this mailing list in particular ?
              1. How do I subscribe/unsubscribe ?
              2. Is this list archived anywhere ?
              3. What are related documents ?

         3. Where do I get the wu-ftpd ?
              1. Where do I get the updated version ?

         4. Compiling the wu-ftpd
              1. cc complains about strunames, typenames, modenames, ..
                 being undeclared.
              2. wu-ftpd doesn't 'see' that users are in multiple groups.
              3. wu-ftpd doesn't use the shadow passwords on my Linux
                 machine.
              4. I need to use S/KEY authorisation
              5. I need to authenticate real users via AFS
              6. The timezone in the xferlog is wrong
              7. Digital Unix doesn't log commands after an anonymous
                 user logs in
              8. install fails with 'install: ..'
              9. Digital Unix (The Unix Formerly Known As OSF/1) and
                 Enhanced C2 security

         5. Installing the wu-ftpd
              1. Command-line options for wu-ftpd
              2. Testing on a different port number then ftp

         6. The ftpaccess file
              1. Some files (banners, etc) don't get shown to anonymous
                 users.
              2. What is the exact format of the <times> parameter in the
                 "limit"

         7. Programs (ls, gzip, tar) work for real users, not for
            anonymous users, giving errors like 425 Can't create data
            socket (0.0.0.0,20): Bad file number or simply no output.
              1. Solaris
              2. Linux
              3. Dec OSF
              4. SunOS4.1.x
              5. AIX

         8. Running wu-ftpd
              1. ftpd allways says "221 Server shutting down. Goodbye."
              2. Anonymous ftp works fine, but real users are denied
                 access
              3. ftpconversions doesn't work
              4. I want a real user to be able to access the host only
                 via ftp, not via telnet
              5. Somebody uploaded a file with a weird name
              6. I want anonymous users to be able to upload files, but
                 in the most secure manner possible
              7. The default umask used when a real user uploads a file
                 is wrong
              8. I heard something about 'SITE EXEC' having a security
                 hole
              9. How do I make reports more readable ?
             10. Incoming file transfers fail with SunOS and an NFS
                 mounted incoming
             11. Normal ftp clients work, Netscape ftp's fail. So,
                 passive mode doesn't work.
             12. How can I make my ftp-archive accessible by E-mail
                 (ftpmail) ?

         9. Credits

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Saurabh Bhatnagar <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 01 Sep 1996 11:55:05 -0700

Hello,
I have been trying to compile wu-ftpd.2.4 on a Linux 1.2.1 machine,
because we need to apply the patch to run virtual servers.
I have gone through the entire process a couple of time, downloaded
the package from tsx-11.mit.edu from the directory slackware/n/.

when I do a build lnx (for linux) I get a lot of errors and none of
the makes compile at all. I have attached the screen dump from one of
the sessions. We are currently using gcc ver 2.5.8

I would appreciate any help in this matter.

Thanks.
Saurabh

-=-=-=-=-=-BEGIN TYPESCRIPT-=-=-=-=-=-
> build lnx

make args are : 
make opts are : 

Linking Makefiles.
ln: Makefile: File exists
ln: config.h: File exists
ln: Makefile: File exists

Making support library.
Makefile:13: *** missing separator.  Stop.

Making ftpd.
gcc -O -DDEBUG -I.. -I../support -I/usr/include/bsd -L../support   -c
ftpd.c -o ftpd.o
In file included from ftpd.c:68:
/usr/include/bsd/signal.h:20: warning: `SIGBUS' redefined
/usr/include/linux/signal.h:16: warning: this is the location of the
previous definition
In file included from ftpd.c:42:
config.h:25: syntax error before `typedef'
In file included from ftpd.c:46:
/usr/include/sys/stat.h:28: syntax error before `struct'
ftpd.c:227: parse error before `lostconn'
ftpd.c:227: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
ftpd.c:228: parse error before `randomsig'
ftpd.c:228: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
ftpd.c:229: parse error before `myoob'
ftpd.c:229: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
ftpd.c: In function `main':
ftpd.c:301: too few arguments to function `openlog'
ftpd.c:386: warning: passing arg 2 of `__bsd_signal' from incompatible
pointer type
ftpd.c:389: warning: passing arg 2 of `__bsd_signal' from incompatible
pointer type
ftpd.c:392: warning: passing arg 2 of `__bsd_signal' from incompatible
pointer type
ftpd.c:395: warning: passing arg 2 of `__bsd_signal' from incompatible
pointer type
ftpd.c:398: warning: passing arg 2 of `__bsd_signal' from incompatible
pointer type
ftpd.c:401: warning: passing arg 2 of `__bsd_signal' from incompatible
pointer type
ftpd.c:407: warning: passing arg 2 of `__bsd_signal' from incompatible
pointer type
ftpd.c:410: warning: passing arg 2 of `__bsd_signal' from incompatible
pointer type
ftpd.c:413: warning: passing arg 2 of `__bsd_signal' from incompatible
pointer type
ftpd.c:416: warning: passing arg 2 of `__bsd_signal' from incompatible
pointer type
ftpd.c:419: warning: passing arg 2 of `__bsd_signal' from incompatible
pointer type
ftpd.c:422: warning: passing arg 2 of `__bsd_signal' from incompatible
pointer type
ftpd.c:425: warning: passing arg 2 of `__bsd_signal' from incompatible
pointer type
ftpd.c:428: warning: passing arg 2 of `__bsd_signal' from incompatible
pointer type
ftpd.c:431: warning: passing arg 2 of `__bsd_signal' from incompatible
pointer type
ftpd.c:434: warning: passing arg 2 of `__bsd_signal' from incompatible
pointer type
ftpd.c:437: warning: passing arg 2 of `__bsd_signal' from incompatible
pointer type
ftpd.c:440: warning: passing arg 2 of `__bsd_signal' from incompatible
pointer type
ftpd.c:443: warning: passing arg 2 of `__bsd_signal' from incompatible
pointer type
ftpd.c:446: warning: passing arg 2 of `__bsd_signal' from incompatible
pointer type
ftpd.c:449: warning: passing arg 2 of `__bsd_signal' from incompatible
pointer type
ftpd.c:452: warning: passing arg 2 of `__bsd_signal' from incompatible
pointer type
ftpd.c:455: warning: passing arg 2 of `__bsd_signal' from incompatible
pointer type
ftpd.c:458: warning: passing arg 2 of `__bsd_signal' from incompatible
pointer type
ftpd.c:462: warning: passing arg 2 of `__bsd_signal' from incompatible
pointer type
ftpd.c:469: warning: passing arg 2 of `__bsd_signal' from incompatible
pointer type
ftpd.c: At top level:
ftpd.c:560: parse error before `randomsig'
ftpd.c:571: parse error before `lostconn'
ftpd.c: In function `pass':
ftpd.c:1002: warning: assignment makes integer from pointer without a
cast
ftpd.c: In function `opt_string':
ftpd.c:1226: warning: comparison between pointer and integer
ftpd.c:1228: warning: comparison between pointer and integer
ftpd.c:1230: warning: comparison between pointer and integer
ftpd.c: In function `retrieve':
ftpd.c:1342: warning: comparison between pointer and integer
ftpd.c: At top level:
ftpd.c:2430: parse error before `myoob'
make: *** [ftpd.o] Error 1

Making ftpcount.
gcc -O -DDEBUG -I.. -I../support -I/usr/include/bsd -L../support -o
ftpcount ftpcount.c vers.o -lsupport -lbsd
gcc: vers.o: No such file or directory
In file included from ftpcount.c:42:
/usr/include/bsd/signal.h:20: warning: `SIGBUS' redefined
/usr/include/linux/signal.h:16: warning: this is the location of the
previous definition
In file included from ftpcount.c:32:
config.h:25: syntax error before `typedef'
In file included from /usr/include/libio.h:35,
                 from /usr/include/stdio.h:29,
                 from ftpcount.c:34:
/usr/include/_G_config.h:13: syntax error before `typedef'
ftpcount.c: In function `parsetime':
ftpcount.c:98: warning: comparison between pointer and integer
ftpcount.c:107: warning: comparison between pointer and integer
ftpcount.c: In function `acl_getlimit':
ftpcount.c:159: warning: comparison between pointer and integer
ftpcount.c:162: warning: assignment makes integer from pointer without a
cast
ftpcount.c: In function `main':
ftpcount.c:307: warning: comparison between pointer and integer
ftpcount.c:310: warning: assignment makes integer from pointer without a
cast
make: *** [ftpcount] Error 1

Making ftpshut.
gcc -O -DDEBUG -I.. -I../support -I/usr/include/bsd -L../support -o
ftpshut ftpshut.c vers.o -lsupport -lbsd
gcc: vers.o: No such file or directory
In file included from ftpshut.c:37:
config.h:25: syntax error before `typedef'
In file included from /usr/include/bsd/errno.h:5,
                 from ftpshut.c:39:
/usr/include/errno.h:8: syntax error before `extern'
ftpshut.c: In function `main':
ftpshut.c:188: warning: comparison between pointer and integer
ftpshut.c:191: warning: assignment makes integer from pointer without a
cast
make: *** [ftpshut] Error 1

Making ckconfig.
make: `ckconfig' is up to date.
ln: ckconfig: File exists

Links to executables are in bin directory:
text	data	bss	dec	hex
size: bin/ftpd: No such file or directory
size: bin/ftpcount: No such file or directory
size: bin/ftpshut: No such file or directory
size: bin/ftpwho: No such file or directory
4096	4096	0	8192	2000	bin/ckconfig
Done
-=-=-=-=-=-END TYPESCRIPT-=-=-=-=-=-