Subject: Logging Problems

From: "Matthew B. Thomson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 10:51:21 -0400

Is there anyway to get connects and disconnects logged anywhere?  Preferably
to wtmp or some such file, but anywhere would be fine.  I'm using wu-2.4(2).
It is logging file transfers to /var/adm/xferlog, and file deletes to
/var/adm/messages, but no logins/logouts.  Did I miss an option somewhere?
I want the logs for real and anonymous users.

Thanks,
Matt

----------------------------------------------------------------
- Matthew B. Thomson                                           -
- Network Support Specialist                                   -
- Cleveland State University Information Services & Technology -
- [email-masked]  -  216-687-9217  -  Fax 216-687-9200  -
----------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked] (Miquel Cabanas. BBM-UAB)
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 21:24:07 +0200

> From [email-masked] Thu Sep 26 17:05:05 1996
> Subject: Logging Problems
> 
> Is there anyway to get connects and disconnects logged anywhere? 
> 
> 

mmm... what OS are you using? just in case you're using Solaris or
something close enough: to record all ftp daemon activity you can
add the following lines to the /etc/syslog.conf file,

   [lines removed]
   
   #
   # 07/03/95  
   # after Sun Managers FAQ - enable syslogd for ftpd
   #
   daemon.info	/var/adm/syslog
   
   [lines removed]

of course, you can change /var/adm/syslog to the file you prefer. Those
are the last lines from our syslog file (so you can have a taste of what
it will contain)

   [lines removed]

   Sep 26 10:36:14 proton ftpd[4261]: FTPD: connection from \
		ccuab1.uab.es at Thu Sep 26 10:36:14 1996
   Sep 26 10:39:32 proton ftpd[4262]: FTPD: connection from \
		ccuab1.uab.es at Thu Sep 26 10:39:32 1996
   Sep 26 10:40:13 proton ftpd[4263]: FTPD: connection from \
		ccuab1.uab.es at Thu Sep 26 10:40:13 1996
   Sep 26 13:17:18 proton ftpd[4591]: FTPD: connection from \
		rsuna-gw.susx.ac.uk at Thu Sep 26 13:17:18 1996
   Sep 26 13:29:29 proton ftpd[4598]: FTPD: connection from \
		rsuna-gw.susx.ac.uk at Thu Sep 26 13:29:29 1996
   Sep 26 13:35:30 proton ftpd[4598]: FTPD: User rosemary timed \
		out after 300 seconds at Thu Sep 26 13:35:30 1996
   Sep 26 16:06:50 proton ftpd[5120]: FTPD: connection from \
		ppp_8.bcn.servicom.es at Thu Sep 26 16:06:50 1996
   Sep 26 16:07:58 proton telnetd[5121]: ttloop:  peer died: Error 0
   Sep 26 17:28:23 proton ftpd[5234]: FTPD: connection from \
		rsuna-gw.susx.ac.uk at Thu Sep 26 17:28:23 1996

hope this helps. miquel

Miquel E Cabanas ---------------------------------------------------
SeRMN & BBM - Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Catalunya - Spain

e-mail: [email-masked]
url:    http://bbm-web.uab.es/biomed-nmr/miquel_angles.html
------------------------------------------o-oo--ooo---ooo--oo-o-----