Subject: Hiding of directory information

From: [email-masked] (Ruediger Schwarz)
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 17:34:33 +0200

Hi everybody,

I was wondering if/how it is possible to "hide" directory entries.
For example, I have a file welcome.msg, but I want that file
HIDED away from a user typing the dir command.

In particular, I want to use this for the /bin, /etc and so on.

Any hint if the is possible?

Thanx in advance - Ruediger

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 11:15:34 -0500 (CDT)

> In particular, I want to use this for the /bin, /etc and so on.

Remove read permissions on the directory the file is in; that will make
all files in that directory invisible.  That does not mean they are not
readable -- that is controlled by individual file permissions. 

   -- Michael

---

From: [email-masked] (Bill Campbell)
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 09:27:44 -0700 (PDT)

>HIDED away from a user typing the dir command.
Individual ``dot'' files won't appear (i.e. name your file .hidden or
something like that ).

>In particular, I want to use this for the /bin, /etc and so on.
chmod 111 /bin /etc

This makes the directories searchable, but not readable by ftp users
so that they can get at files they need to use, but dir won't work.

Bill
--
INTERNET:   [email-masked]  Bill Campbell; Celestial Systems, Inc.
UUCP:               camco!bill  PO Box 820; 2835 82nd Avenue S.E. S-100
FAX:            (206) 232-9186  Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820; (206) 236-1676
URL: http://www.celestial.com/

Government spending?  I don't know what it's all about.  I don't know
any more about this thing than an economist does, and, God knows, he
doesn't know much.
		-- Will Rogers