Subject: hanging FTP connections and ftpwho output (wu-ftpd 2.4)

From: Gildas Perrot <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 1996 18:28:59 +0200

Hi,

1) We saw on HP/UX 9 and HP/UX 10 the following problem. Some FTP connections 
were not closed even if not used (0 in the 1st column of ftpwho output instead 
of 1).
Is there any patch to solve this problem ? For the moment, we use a perl 
script to kill those connections. 

2) On Solaris 2.5, we have anothere code in the 1st column of ftpwho : 8. What 
does it mean ? Is there the same problem of hanging connections for this OS ?

3) Does someone know the meaning of the different columns of ftpwho output 
(the man pages about ftpwho are really poor) ?

Thanks in advance for your help.             Gildas.
-- 
Gildas PERROT, [email-masked]         __o
FranceNet, 28 rue Desaix, 75015 Paris ---_ \<,_
                                   ---- (_)/ (_)

---

From: Daniel Hannigan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 1996 19:27:35 +0200 (METDST)

> script to kill those connections. 
This looks like the passive mode hanging - if a connection is made, but 
dies before the "select", then the process waits.

There is a patch to cure this, although I don't know where ... If you're 
really stuck, I'll diff my src from the original

daniel

---

From: Gildas Perrot <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 1996 10:23:44 +0200

Thanks Daniel. I am going to download the FAQ (http://www.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-
faq.html) is talking about.