Subject: access denied

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 1996 16:48:20 -0400

I just set up wu-ftpd version 2.4(1) When I try to use it, access is
always denied to the user no matter who the user is. That includes
anonymous. It worked when I first set it up. I think that the only
changes I made was adding some files to pub and adding an incoming
directory. I didn't change any of the configuration files. Help would
be very much appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Vince

---

From: Andy Ellsworth <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 1996 16:34:06 -0500 (CDT)

> be very much appreciated.

Make sure you have a file /etc/shells (or whereever you defined the file
to be; I believe that's the default) that contains all the valid shells
for your users.  wu-ftpd checks a user's shell against this file, and if
it doesn't find their shell in the file (or if the file doesn't exist)
then they get denied.  You might also check your syslog; it generally will
tell you why it denied access. 

+----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Andy Ellsworth  |  [email-masked] |  Admin/Cyberdiplomat, Wuarchive    |
+----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
|  "...The wind was not the beginning.  There are neither beginnings nor     |
| endings to the turning of the Wheel of Time.  But it was _a_ beginning..." |
|                                   --The Wheel of Time saga, Robert Jordan  |
+----------------------------------------------------------------------------+