Subject: "character special" files on Solaris 2.5

From: "Haralds Jass" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 1996 17:55:33 -0800

These types of files --

crw-r--r--   1 root     root      11, 42 Jul  1 15:47 tcp
crw-r--r--   1 root     root      13, 12 Jul  1 15:47 zero

tcp:            character special (11/42)
zero:           character special (13/12)

can not be copied, nor moved, nor sym linked. I did make them for three skels a 
while ago, but now I need them for a fourth (all req. for virtual FTP) and I 
have forgotten how to make them! (I remember it was "<command> <high#> <low#>", 
or something like that, but I don't remember the command!). I have searched my 
System Admin book, man pages, etc. for over two hours and found nothing...
I would greatly appreciate if anyone would tell me what command to use to make 
these files.

Thanks in advance!
Haralds

--
Haralds Jass <[email-masked]> (personal/junk E-mail address)
                    http://hj.superb-e.com
        *****         *****         *****        *****
                Haralds Jass <[email-masked]>
President, Superb Internet Corporation  -- "Ahead of the Rest" 
 Innovative and Dependable Quality Internet Presence Services
http://www.superb.net                          [email-masked]
        Washington, DC, USA  *  Vancouver, BC, Canada

---

From: Bob DeBula <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 09:23:07 -0400 (EDT)

> I would greatly appreciate if anyone would tell me what command to use to make 

Look at the man page for "mknod" (and what you refer to as "high#" and
"low#" are actually the major & minor device numbers).