Subject: Contents of wu-ftpd FAQ

From: [email-masked] (Koos van den Hout _U nix and we all_)
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 1996 15:03:03 +0200 (MET DST)

* Contents of the FAQ file for wu-ftpd. The complete file can be found at
http://www.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html

    1. Contents of this FAQ
       
         1. Contents of this FAQ
         2. What is wu-ftpd itself and this mailing list in particular ?
              1. How do I subscribe/unsubscribe ?
              2. Is this list archived anywhere ?
              3. What are related documents ?

         3. Where do I get the wu-ftpd ?
              1. Where do I get the updated version ?

         4. Compiling the wu-ftpd
              1. cc complains about strunames, typenames, modenames, ..
                 being undeclared.
              2. wu-ftpd doesn't 'see' that users are in multiple groups.
              3. wu-ftpd doesn't use the shadow passwords on my Linux
                 machine.
              4. I need to use S/KEY authorisation
              5. I need to authenticate real users via AFS
              6. The timezone in the xferlog is wrong
              7. Digital Unix doesn't log commands after an anonymous
                 user logs in
              8. install fails with 'install: ..'

         5. Installing the wu-ftpd
              1. Command-line options for wu-ftpd
              2. Testing on a different port number then ftp

         6. The ftpaccess file
              1. Some files (banners, etc) don't get shown to anonymous
                 users.
              2. What is the exact format of the <times> parameter in the
                 "limit"

         7. Programs (ls, gzip, tar) work for real users, not for
            anonymous users, giving errors like 425 Can't create data
            socket (0.0.0.0,20): Bad file number or simply no output.
              1. Solaris
              2. Linux
              3. Dec OSF
              4. SunOS4.1.x
              5. AIX

         8. Running wu-ftpd
              1. ftpd allways says "221 Server shutting down. Goodbye."
              2. Anonymous ftp works fine, but real users are denied
                 access
              3. ftpconversions doesn't work
              4. I want a real user to be able to access the host only
                 via ftp, not via telnet
              5. Somebody uploaded a file with a weird name
              6. I want anonymous users to be able to upload files, but
                 in the most secure manner possible
              7. The default umask used when a real user uploads a file
                 is wrong
              8. I heard something about 'SITE EXEC' having a security
                 hole
              9. How do I make reports more readable ?
             10. Incoming file transfers fail with SunOS and an NFS
                 mounted incoming
             11. Normal ftp clients work, Netscape ftp's fail. So,
                 passive mode doesn't work.
             12. How can I make my ftp-archive accessible by E-mail
                 (ftpmail) ?

         9. Credits

---------------------------------------------------------------------------