Subject: FIN_WAIT Sockets left over

From: Lennard Kong <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 1996 00:08:21 -0400

Hi,

I am having problems with sockets being left around long after users
have disconnected, naturally they are in FIN_WAIT and CLOSE states.

Any suggestions ?

thanks

Lennard

---

From: Gene Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 00:58:47 -0400 (EDT)

After digging through your mail header, It looks like your running a Linux
2.0.0 Pentium Box. Have you updated to NetKit-B-0.07? I was had some
oddities with my old inetd... (Plus the new NetKit fixes a couple of nasty
security problems) Also, you may want to set a timeout for your anonymous
ftp users.

[email-masked]        |                PrivNet V.P.
http://www.privnet.com/hoffmang |           http://www.privnet.com

---

From: [email-masked] (Koos van den Hout _U nix and we all_)
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 08:58:57 +0200 (MET DST)

> have disconnected, naturally they are in FIN_WAIT and CLOSE states.

Mentioning which operating system you run can help as some versions of
some operating systems leave sockets hanging around especially when
connecting to slightly broken PC/Mac socket implementations.

Solaris 2.3 comes to mind with loads of sockets in FIN_WAIT_2.

It's also interesting to check if there are still ftpd processes running
which could own the socket.

                                             Grtx KH

-- 
  Koos van den Hout,     Internetter, Unix freak, ISFJ and BBS SysOp at large
  [email-masked] (Home)        BBS Koos z'n Doos (+31-30-6036637 28k8)
  [email-masked] (Work)  <-- finger -l for PGPkey    (+31-30-6056619 14k4)
  http://www.hvu.nl/~koos (WWW)    Looking for a license plate with "RFC 822"
  Quando Omni Flunkis Moritati (If all else fails - play dead)     KH106-RIPE

---

From: [email-masked] (Philippe Stas)
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 10:13:45 +0200 (DST)

Allthough this looks like a FAQ, I did not find it .

We installed wu-ftp 2.4 on one machine. Anonymous and normal users

coudl ftp whithout problems.
Now, we set up the machine a NIS-client, and what do we see, the
users that are in the NIS database, but not in de passwd, can not ftp anymore.
putting the entry back into the passwd file, allows ftp again.

the /etc/shells contains
/bin/csh
/bin/tcsh
/bin/bsh

so this, cannot be the cause, I think.

I cannot find any information in the docs.

Could someone please help me out? 

Johor

_____________________________________________________________
_  Philippe Stas                        [email-masked]  _
_  Dept. of Cellular Immunology                             _
_  Free University of Brussels          tel: 32-2-359.03.58 _
_  Paardenstraat 65                     Fax: 32-2-359.03.59 _
_  B1640 St.Genesius Rode                                   _
_                      http://homepages.vub.ac.be/~philstas _
_____________________________________________________________