Subject: ftp mailing list ???

From: [email-masked]
Date: 8 Aug 1996 19:21:04 CST

Hi.

Please forgive the waste of bandwidth for a real 'newbie' question,
but....

I subscribed to this list a short while ago....and I have been getting
email from the list.  However, I've also been getting quite a bit of
ftp-related mail *not* from the list - ie: email from individuals that
should be coming from the list.

What is going on here?  Is this normal for this list?

Thanks in advance.

Paul Scivetti
Central Minnesota Gateway, Inc.
[email-masked]

---

From: Andy Ellsworth <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 00:40:08 -0500 (CDT)

> What is going on here?  Is this normal for this list?

Yep.  The wu-ftpd list is configured so that the "from" field shows the
sender of the message, and the "reply-to" field points back to the list. 
Rarely (if ever) should you get mail directly from the wu-ftpd list
itself.  You might check your headers...you should see something like: 

   Date: 8 Aug 1996 19:21:04 CST
   Reply-To: [email-masked]
   Sender: [email-masked]
   From: [email-masked]
   To: [email-masked]
   Subject: ftp mailing list ???

The From: field should show who wrote the message, and the Sender: field
should show who sent the message to your inbox.  If you are getting
messages from the list that have a From:  field of 'wu-ftpd' or
'owner-wu-ftpd', please let me know and I'll look into it. 

(Forgive me if you already knew about all the header stuff.)

+----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Andy Ellsworth  |  [email-masked] |  Admin/Cyberdiplomat, Wuarchive    |
+----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
|  "...The wind was not the beginning.  There are neither beginnings nor     |
| endings to the turning of the Wheel of Time.  But it was _a_ beginning..." |
|                                   --The Wheel of Time saga, Robert Jordan  |
+----------------------------------------------------------------------------+