Subject: Is /etc necessary?

From: "Matthew B. Thomson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 1996 17:02:59 -0400

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

I was running a version of 2.4(1) under Solaris 2.4 on one of our servers, 
and in an effort to simplify, removed the /etc directory from the anonymous 
directory structure.  This worked fine, and the only effect I noticed was 
that it was unable to resolve owner and group names when doing a directory.  
This is fine with me.

Now I have moved the exact same binary and configuration files from our test 
server to our production server, and now it does not work unless /etc/passwd 
and /etc/group are present in the anonymous hierarchy.

Has anyone experienced anything similar, or know what might be causing it to 
work in one place, and not in another?  The two machines are completely 
identical for all practical purposes.

I know this may not be very clear, so please contact me if you can help but 
have more questions.

Thank You,
Matt

----------------------------------------------------------------
- Matthew B. Thomson                                           -
- Network Support Specialist                                   -
- Cleveland State University Information Services & Technology -
- [email-masked]  -  216-687-9217  -  Fax 216-687-9200  -
----------------------------------------------------------------