Subject: WU-FTPD Apparently Ignores _FTP_EXECPATH

From: "Madden, Joe" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 11:03:37 -0400

Good morning faithful list readers,

I am still trying to install and secure my wu-ftpd server running on my
DEC Alpha 2100.

As suggested in the documentation, I have created a /bin/ftp-exec
directory both at the root level and the ftp chroot level.  I placed the
statically linked "ls" binary in this directory and compiled ftpd.c with
the _FTP_EXECPATH defined as "/bin/ftp-exec".  After compilation and
installation I was unable to get the "dir" command to execute properly. 
As a test I moved the "ls" binary into the "/bin" directory under the
ftp chroot and the "dir" command processed as expected.  Did I goof on
the configuration, build and install procedure or does my version of
wu-ftpd require a patch to fix, or ........?  I have installed
wu-ftpd-2.4

After tripping through ftpd.c,  I found an area in the main{} segment
which hard codes calls to the "/bin/ls" command.  I would have expected
this to be "_FTP_EXECPATH/ls" instead!  Any suggestions?  I need to get
this server running and I don't feel too comfortable placing it "out
there" with a bug.

Please respond...thanks!