Subject: Idle uploads...

From: [email-masked] (Mark S. Tremblay)
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 09:37:00 -0400 (EDT)

Has anyone else seen a problem with ftp server processes hanging after
a client disconnects?  

We've got a server that is offering uploads.  For a variety of reasons
the client net connection will sometimes terminate, leaving an idle FTP
process waiting for more data.  It doesn't seem to be happening
everytime a client drops the connection, just sometimes.

Here is what a ps looks like on those processes:

# /usr/ucb/ps xauww | grep FTPUPLOAD  
FTPUPLOAD    816  0.0  0.8 2320 2112 ?        S   Jul 31  0:00 -Cust4.Max6.Philadelphia.PA.MS.UU.NET: FTPUPLOAD   4.Max6.Philadelphia.PA.MS.UU.NET: 
FTPUPLOAD   6857  0.0  0.8 2320 2112 ?        S   Jul 30  0:00 -Cust6.Max3.New-Orleans.LA.MS.UU.NET: FTPUPLOAD   6.Max3.New-Orleans.LA.MS.UU.NET: FTPUPLOAD
FTPUPLOAD  12611  0.0  0.8 2320 2112 ?        S   Jul 28  0:00 -205.232.87.231: FTPUPLOAD: APPE 214302716352   232.87.231: FTPUPLOAD: APPE 214302716352
FTPUPLOAD  15327  0.0  0.8 2320 2112 ?        S   Jul 28  0:00 -pitman131.voicenet.com: FTPUPLOAD: APPE 0024   an131.voicenet.com: FTPUPLOAD: APPE 0024
FTPUPLOAD  17743  0.0  0.8 2320 2112 ?        S   Jul 29  0:00 -pitman114.voicenet.com: FTPUPLOAD: APPE 2046   an114.voicenet.com: FTPUPLOAD: APPE 2046
FTPUPLOAD  21722  0.0  0.8 2320 2112 ?        S   Jul 30  0:00 -Cust12.Max6.Seattle.WA.MS.UU.NET: FTPUPLOAD:   12.Max6.Seattle.WA.MS.UU.NET: FTPUPLOAD:
FTPUPLOAD  25070  0.0  0.8 2320 2112 ?        S   Jul 24  0:00 -Cust17.Max2.Denver.CO.MS.UU.NET: FTPUPLOAD:    17.Max2.Denver.CO.MS.UU.NET: FTPUPLOAD:
FTPUPLOAD  25071  0.0  0.8 2320 2112 ?        S   Jul 24  0:00 -Cust37.Max2.Denver.CO.MS.UU.NET: FTPUPLOAD:    37.Max2.Denver.CO.MS.UU.NET: FTPUPLOAD:
FTPUPLOAD  25076  0.0  0.8 2320 2112 ?        S   Jul 24  0:00 -Cust37.Max2.Denver.CO.MS.UU.NET: FTPUPLOAD:    37.Max2.Denver.CO.MS.UU.NET: FTPUPLOAD:
FTPUPLOAD  26812  0.0  0.8 2320 2112 ?        S   Jul 26  0:00 -s50.qni.com: FTPUPLOAD: APPE 013902816524269   qni.com: FTPUPLOAD: APPE 013902816524269
FTPUPLOAD  26817  0.0  0.8 2320 2112 ?        S   Jul 26  0:00 -s81.qni.com: FTPUPLOAD: APPE 192802816524269   qni.com: FTPUPLOAD: APPE 192802816524269
FTPUPLOAD  26818  0.0  0.8 2320 2112 ?        S   Jul 26  0:00 -s81.qni.com: FTPUPLOAD: APPE 253702816524269   qni.com: FTPUPLOAD: APPE 253702816524269
FTPUPLOAD  26915  0.0  0.8 2320 2112 ?        S   Jul 26  0:00 -153.36.136.73: FTPUPLOAD: APPE 5749045083237   36.136.73: FTPUPLOAD: APPE 5749045083237
FTPUPLOAD  28794  0.0  0.8 2320 2112 ?        S   Jul 27  0:00 -hd68-222.compuserve.com: FTPUPLOAD: APPE 053   -222.compuserve.com: FTPUPLOAD: APPE 053
FTPUPLOAD  28799  0.0  0.8 2320 2112 ?        S   Jul 27  0:00 -ad03-124.compuserve.com: FTPUPLOAD: APPE 122   -124.compuserve.com: FTPUPLOAD: APPE 122
FTPUPLOAD  28824  0.0  0.8 2320 2112 ?        S   Jul 27  0:00 -ad60-109.compuserve.com: FTPUPLOAD: APPE 035   -109.compuserve.com: FTPUPLOAD: APPE 035

There isn't any significant information in any of the log files
either.  A sample entry would look like:

Jul 30 23:14:25 host ftpd[6857]: USER FTPUPLOAD
Jul 30 23:14:30 host ftpd[6857]: PASS password
Jul 30 23:14:33 host ftpd[6857]: TYPE Image
Jul 30 23:14:38 host ftpd[6857]: PORT
Jul 30 23:14:40 host ftpd[6857]: APPE <filename>.<type>

Any suggestions?  This is wu-ftp Version wu-2.4, running on an Ultra
SPARC, Solaris 2.5.1

Thanks,

-- 
-Mark S. Tremblay
 Eastman Kodak - Elmgrove Plant
 [email-masked]
 (716) 253-0102

---

From: "Homer W. Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 14:59:27 -0400 (EDT)

ftpd hangs processes that disconnect in mid stride.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Homer Wilson Smith     News, Web, Telnet      Art Matrix - Lightlink
(607) 277-0959         SunOS 4.1.4 Sparc 20   Internet Access, Ithaca NY
[email-masked]    [email-masked]     http://www.lightlink.com

On Fri, 2 Aug 1996, Mark S. Tremblay wrote:

> FTPUPLOAD    816  0.0  0.8 2320 2112 ?        S   Jul 31  0:00 -Cust4.Max6.Philadelphia.PA.MS.UU.NET: FTPUPLOAD   4.Max6.Philadelphia..PA.MS.UU.NET: