Subject: xferlog problem

From: Theo Van Dinter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 1996 12:40:26 -0400 (EDT)

I know this has probably been asked many times, but I couldn't find it in
the FAQ...

I'm running Linux 2.0.10, and I just compiled wu-ftp beta 11 (2.4.2), and
now no information is stored in xferlog (in fact, it's not even being
created...)  I checked and the path for xferlog that's compiled in is
"/var/log/xferlog"...  /var/log exists, and as the ftp daemon is obviously
running as root, it should be able to create the file...

In my ftpaccess file I have:

log transfers anonymous,real inbound,outbound

...  any ideas as to how I can kick this thing into working?  I assume
it's something simple, but I can't find it...

Thanks!

--
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Theo Van Dinter				   Vice-President WPI Lens and Lights
Systems Engineering - Web Development	     Active Member in SocComm and ACM
Cabletron Systems, Inc.			 www: http://www.kluge.net/~felicity/

                A smart sysop backs up to a RAM disk every day.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Homer W. Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 1996 13:04:02 -0400 (EDT)

/var/adm?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Homer Wilson Smith     News, Web, Telnet      Art Matrix - Lightlink
(607) 277-0959         SunOS 4.1.4 Sparc 20   Internet Access, Ithaca NY
[email-masked]    [email-masked]     http://www.lightlink.com

---

From: Theo Van Dinter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 1996 14:54:12 -0400 (EDT)

>    /var/adm?

exists too...  I also (for a joke) created /local/logs which is also
referenced from the source to no avail...  I finally just did a 'strings
wu.ftpd | grep xferlog' and got the /var/log/xferlog path...

thanks for the response. 8)

           I am Beldar of Borg. We will assimilate mass quantities.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Mark Bradford <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 1996 13:39:52 -0600

Theo Van Dinter is having xferlog problems.

Theo, did you add -a to your ftpd line in /etc/inetd.conf?  This is
something that bites many people (myself included) when they go to a
later-model wu-ftpd, as it is not mentioned except in the man page.

-- Mark Bradford, Systems Administrator <> [email-masked]
   UCAR Office of Field Project Support <> (303) 497-8169

---

From: Theo Van Dinter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 1996 21:24:56 -0400 (EDT)

> later-model wu-ftpd, as it is not mentioned except in the man page.

I saw that in the man page, but I figured that the daemon would see the
file and use it since it existed...  I added the "-a" though, and it works
beautifully now... That should be added into the FAQ!

Thanks for the help!

               Electrical Engineers do it with faster rise time.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------