Subject: trouble exec'ing anonymously

From: Karl Hanzel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 1996 17:52:05 -0600 (MDT)

Hello-  i don't subscribe to this list, so please respond directly,
thanks.

I'm trying to set up anonymous read-only ftp on one of our machines.
Things appear to be ok, but exec'ing an 'ls' or 'dir' returns:

200 PORT command successful.
425 Can't create data socket (128.117.110.55,20): Bad file number.

I've got a ~ftp/bin, with an 'ls' in it, with ownership & perms as
dictated in the INSTALL notes.

Maybe i don't understand the _PATH_EXECPATH setting...
------------------------------------------------------
**  _PATH_EXECPATH  "/bin/ftp-exec"
        The directory that contains additional binaries for use with the
        SITE EXEC command.
...
**  This path is relative to ~ftp.  To add the same functionality for real
------------------------------------------------------

Do i need to recompile with that set to just "/bin" then?... it's not
clear.

thanks in advance

*----->

Karl Hanzel        UCAR/COMET Systems Administrator     Boulder, Colorado
------------------------------------+------------------------------------
(303)497-8479     >> WORK <<        |        (303)443-6602     >> HOME <<
[email-masked]   (MIME)        |        [email-masked]   (NeXT/MIME)