Subject: Can't get wu-ftpd to set umask correctly

From: [email-masked] (Mark H. Zellers)
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 18:18:35 -0700

I have just downloaded and set up wu-ftpd on a Sun 4.1.3 system.

I think I have it mostly configured with one slight problem:

If I log in as an anonymous user and upload a file, the file ownership is not
being set as I have specified in the ftpaccess file.

Here are what I think are the relevant lines:

upload /usr2/home/thor/ftp  *                  no
upload /usr2/home/thor/ftp  /pub/incomming     yes root other 0311              
what I'm ending up with is the uploaded files owned by ftp/daemon with rw
access.

This seems to be a pretty basic case, I must be doing something wrong.          
Thanks,

Mark Z.
                        
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mark H. Zellers                                             [email-masked]
Fusion Software, Inc.                                       Ph:  (415) 327-3873
445 Sherman Ave, Palo Alto, CA                              Fax: (415) 327-7111

---

From: Anne Kilarjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 12:42:45 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Mark, perhaps you have solved your problem already, but I just
noticed your message and have just solved it here after spending
way too much time on it-

Turns out that for anonymous uploads the base dir part of the upload 
directive (/usr2/home/thor/ftp in your case) MUST be the home dir
*as it appears in /etc/passwd* for user ftp for this to work -
(in my case I had it set to /usr/spool/ftp which was a symlink
to /var/spool/ftp, once I changed it to /var/spool it worked
correctly).

> upload /usr2/home/thor/ftp  /pub/incomming     yes root other 0311              
Good luck -
Anne Kilarjian
SUNY Stony Brook