Subject: can't compile solaris and Bind 4.9.3

From: Carlos Reed <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 11:26:10 -0400

I installed Bind 4.9.3 which installs ne header files and new libs.

In netdb.h MAXHOSTNAMELN is not there any more, so I had to move my
original files to compile wu-ftpd on solaris with the new BIND.

is there any patch for compiling wu-ftpd with the new bind stuff and the
beta 11 ?

thanks and have a nice day!

---

From: Robert Kilgore <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 1996 15:56:31 -0600

I ran into this problem also. The problem is that when you do a make
install (or whatever it is) the BIND install install over some of the
original header files and essentially destroys them. You will find that
sendmail no longer compiles as well. My solution was to reinstall the
original development system. It is a pain, but not as painful as finding
out which files bind specifically destroyed and then replacing them
individually. Good luck!

--
						Robert Kilgore <[email-masked]>

---

From: Mike Batchelor <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 08:45:58 -0400 (EDT)

> out which files bind specifically destroyed and then replacing them

A better solution is to just get the most recent Recommended patch set for
Solaris 2.4, 2.5 or 2.5.1 for Sparc and/or x86, plus a couple other patches
mentioned in the README for the Recommended set.  Once you do that, you will
be using BIND 4.9.3patch1, including libresolv.so.2 and all the headers.  No
need to install BIND from source at all.  Sun has done it and made it a
public patch.

> > thanks and have a nice day!

---
  + + +      %%%%% Mike Batchelor % [email-masked] %%%%% A Division
 Capitol.Net %%%%%%%%%%% 301-306-9090 % V.34/ISDN %%%%%%%%%%%    of
     + + +   %% Serving Washington DC, No.VA, and Maryland %%   Criticom, Inc.