Subject: Can't do "ls -la" on a DEC machine

From: Kok Fock Seng <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 1996 18:14:47 +0800 (GMT+0800)

Hi there :

    I have downloaded a copy of wu-ftpd for my DEC OFS. Everything
works fine, but when I do a "ls -la", it just skip the contents.
(It works fine with "ls" somehow).

This is the output of the "ls -la" :
ftp> ls -la
200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for /bin/ls.
226 Transfer complete.
ftp>

I traced into the source code and found out that :
  "ls" will call the function send_file_list(),  but
  "ls -la" will call retrieve() which will call ftpd_popen().
Looks like ftpd_popen() is not working properly.

The ftpd_popen() will fork a child to exec "ls -la" and the
output will be piped back to the parent. Somehow I don't know
why it's not working. 

Any idea ? Am I getting the old version ?

Thanks,

Kok Fock Seng
System Administrator
Silicon Communications

---

From: Craig Rodrigues <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 1996 09:14:49 -0400 (EDT)

What is in your inetd.conf?

For me, going to /sbin/init.d and then doing ./inetd stop, ./inetd start
seemed to fix things for ls -la.
-- 
Craig Rodrigues                     CyberPlex Interactive Media
Application Programmer              24 Duncan St., Suite 300
                                    Toronto ON  M5V 2B8   CANADA
[email-masked]                 (416) 597-8889(voice) (416)597-2345(fax)