Subject: Help with the "ftp-exec" Configuration

From: "Madden, Joe" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 13:32:31 -0400

Greetings,

I am attempting to configure my ftp archives with WU-FTP with limited
success.  My host platform is a DEC Alpha 3000 running OSF/1 3.2a on
which I have created the /bin/ftp-exec directory and the
~ftp/bin/ftp-exec directory.  Unfortunately, the FTP "dir" subcommand
produces NO OUTPUT when logged in as a guest or anonymous user.  For
example:

  ftp> dir
  200  PORT command successful.
  150  Opening ASCII mode data connection for /bin/ls.
  226  Transfer complete.

I do receive output using the "ls" command as follows:

  ftp> ls
  200  PORT command successful.
  150  Opening ASCII mode data connection for file list.
  etc
  bin
  pub
  226  Transfer complete.

Output from the "dir" subcommand while logged in as a "real" user
produces a long listing as expected.   I am concerned that the server
did not compile correctly to look for the "ls" binary in the
/bin/ftp-exec directory as I specified in the pathnames.h file. 
Instead, I expect that the wu-ftp daemon would  produce a line like :

  150  Opening ASCII mode data connection for /bin/ftp-exec/ls.

Does anyone have any suggestions or explanations?  Thanks in advance.

Joe Madden