Subject: Re: He-e-e-e-lp me-e-e-e ....

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 1996 14:01:18 +0600

>Chris Hamilton <[email-masked]> wrote
>What you need to do is:
<good explanation of setting up ftponly user snipped>

I did all that. I can get logged in fine, but can't write any files.
When I try a PUT, the directory entry gets made (file name, correct
permissions, owner, group, etc), but the file is 0 length. I get 

200 PORT command successful.
425 data socket (0.0.0.0,20): errno 9 Bad file number.

I've gone into the source code, and tracked the problem to the socket
call in 'getdatasock', where it fails with an errno 2 and a return of
-1. It only fails when the group is ftponly. (For anonymous or a real
user, things are fine.)

I suspect it's something very obvious that I'm overlooking. Pointers
would be appreciated. The version is wu-2.4(22) on Solaris 2.4.

Jim Hurd  [email-masked] 402.691.3299 
Lucent Technologies
Omaha, NE 68137

---

From: Chris Hamilton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 1996 16:34:34 -0500 (CDT)

> 425 data socket (0.0.0.0,20): errno 9 Bad file number.

Hmmm.  Well-- only thing I can figure is that your filesystem for the 
ftponly user is not quite what you think... If your ftponly user's dir is 
/export/ftponly/bob, make sure you have /export/ftponly/bob/dev and 
/export/ftponly/bob/usr/lib that looks *exactly* like the corresponding 
stuff in your anon-ftp filesystem.  Beyond that, I dunno...  

Chris