Subject: Timezone problem under Solaris 2.5

From: [email-masked] (Richard S. Smith)
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 1996 18:03:50 -0700 (PDT)

Hi.  I just installed wu-ftpd 2.4 on a Solaris 2.5 box.  Everything works
perfectly except for one maddening detail.  I can't figure out how to get
"ls" to display the correct time for anonymous users.  No matter what I
try, "ls" always displays file timestamps in GMT.

I have /usr/share/lib/zoneinfo set up under the ftp home directory just
like the man page says.  The really maddening thing is that the Solaris
ftpd works just fine, and wu-ftpd works except for anonymous logins.

I read the FAQ entry about timestamps in xferlog.  Those timestamps
are being set correctly.

Also, I can kludge my way around this problem by substituting "ls" with a
wrapper script that explicitly sets $TZ and then runs the "ls" binary
(which I renamed to ls.bin in addition to sticking a copy of /bin/sh into
~ftp/bin).

So it appears that wu-ftpd is not propogating the environment to the
spawned "ls" process.  Is there a way around this?  A patch perhaps?

Thanks, as always.

-- 
+---------------------------------------------------------------+
| Richard S. Smith / [email-masked] / Voice: (408) 395-7701  |
| Progress(tm) 4gl v[67] Developer / Los Gatos, California, USA | 
| PROGRESS FAQ: ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/rs/rsmith/progress-faq |
+---------------------------------------------------------------+

---

From: Wolfram Schmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 1996 02:53:14 +0200 (MET DST)

] 
] Hi.  I just installed wu-ftpd 2.4 on a Solaris 2.5 box.  Everything works
] perfectly except for one maddening detail.  I can't figure out how to get
] "ls" to display the correct time for anonymous users.  No matter what I
] try, "ls" always displays file timestamps in GMT.
[...]
] So it appears that wu-ftpd is not propogating the environment to the
] spawned "ls" process.  Is there a way around this?  A patch perhaps?

Copy /etc/default/init to the appropriate place in the chroot area.
It should contain a line "TZ=MYTIMEZONE" where MYTIMEZONE is your
timezone. The OS installation procedure probably did this for you.

Under SunOS 4.1.x you could also do
ln /ftpdir/usr/share/lib/zoneinfo/FOOBAR \
   /ftpdir/usr/share/lib/zoneinfo/localtime

Don't know if this works under Solaris.

Regards

-Wolfram

-- 
Email: [email-masked]
Voice: +49 711 970 2431
Fax: +49 711 970 2401
Office: Fraunhofer IAO, Holzgartenstr. 17, 70174 Stuttgart, Germany