Subject: signal 11 (again)

From: Rob Wilson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 15:22:41 -0400 (EDT)

Hate to make a pain of myself, but I tried all those suggestions, and 
nothing worked.  I have a copy of the syslog and also my session log 
which will follow.  This used to work when we were OSF 2.0.  *sigh*

Jul 24 15:16:40 cs ftpd[15827]: connection from cs.muohio.edu [134.53.53.10]
Jul 24 15:16:40 cs ftpd[15827]: <--- 220
Jul 24 15:16:40 cs ftpd[15827]: cs.muohio.edu FTP server (Version wu-2.4(4) Mon
Jul 22 18:42:57 EDT 1996) ready.
Jul 24 15:16:42 cs ftpd[15827]: command: USER rob^M
Jul 24 15:16:42 cs ftpd[15827]: exiting on signal 11

Connected to cs.muohio.edu.
220 cs.muohio.edu FTP server (Version wu-2.4(4) Mon Jul 22 18:42:57 EDT 
1996) re
ady.
Name (cs:rob): rob
421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection
Login failed.
No control connection for command: No such file or directory

Rob Wilson
[email-masked]
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 08:18:21 -0700

I apologize if I'm asking for data you've already given.  I must have
missed your first few posts.  

What OS are you running?  Is this a fresh compile on the current
system?  Are you using any binaries from other systems?  If so, which?
Any funny compile errors?  Signal 11 is SIGSEGV.  Which, if I remember
correctly, is memory violations - don't know for sure though.  If you
are on solaris 2.x, try using the truss command on the ftpd and see
where it's bombing.  If not, are there any utilities for tracing
system calls on a process?  Or mabye try and recompile ... ??

----
Dale Wellman
Sys Admin
Network Intensive  -  "The 'S' in ISP"

---

From: Rob Wilson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 11:36:34 -0400 (EDT)

I have tried all of that stuff, recompiled about 8 times.  I am running 
OSF/1 3.2c, We were running this program on our old system (v1.3, hell of 
an install), but as soon as we upgraded, we began to get these errors.  
If anyone else out there is running OSF/1 3.2 and wu-ftpd, please tell me 
how you did it.

I noticed that the binary seems to execute fine until you enter in a 
userid, the passwd file format on the 3.2c changed, do you think this 
could be a problem?

Rob Wilson
[email-masked]
[email-masked]