Subject: Netscape auth prob w/ wu-ftpd

From: Gregg Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 1996 12:30:08 -0500

(Netscape - Please forward to Brad Jones ASAP - thanks.)

==========
D E T A I L S
==========

Many of our users using Netscape to connect to an FTP site and trying to
drill down into the /pub or any other directory structure on a BSDI 2.01
Unix platform running wu-ftpd wu-2.4.2-academ[BETA-11](1) receive the
following messages "Netscape is unable to find the file or directory named
/pub/" and "Check the name and try again".

I used Microsoft Network Monitor and captured the trace shown below.  Of
significance is the fact that Netscape sends mozilla@ as the password
without a domain name and "550 /pub/ not a plain file".  If you sign on
using ftp://[email-masked] and type a valid rfc822 Email
address for a password things work fine.  If you are running Netscape 3.x
and check send my Email address as a password for anonymous logins, it also
works.  

Netscape has duplicated this bug with me on Saturday.  It does not occurs
for all users.  We have yet to pin down the exact cause, however; it seems
like it effects dial up users or users going through proxies as apposed to
users not firewalled that are directly connected.  This is a loose
observation at best.

We are able to connect to ftp.oei.omron.com using all browsers accept
Netscape.  Netscape fails for some folks but not all.  From Netscape tech
support they had no problems accessing the site.  The tech I spoke with had
two off site tests run with mixed results.  We have replicated this problem
on all supported MS Windows OS (Win 3.x, Win 95, Win NT WS and server)
platforms with a variety of Netscape browser versions.

I notice in frame 41 that the anonymous user id does not have a domain name
after it.  We are configured to warn users if they do not send a valid rfc
822 compliant Email address, however; I am not enforcing compliance at this
point.  Netscape needs to send a valid domain name to be compliant with
rfc822 Email naming conventions.

Next notice frame 58 it is complaining that the root is not even a plain
file.  We visually see the directory display for root when we connect.  When
we try to click on /pub you can see it complains again in frame 78.

=========
A C T I O N
=========

1) I have tried setting password checking from rfc822 and warn to none.
This still does not solve the problem.  I think that I am looking at a bug
in wu-ftp.  Can anyone confirm this or suggest a way to patch the source.
Has anyone else had a similar problem.

2) I feel that Netscape should send a valid domain name with their anonymous
ftp login.
We should have Internic create a dummy domain that users can use for this
purpose.
Something like [email-masked] or [email-masked].

Thanks.
Gregg Rosenberg 
[email-masked]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Network Monitor trace  Sat 07/27/96 11:27:32  Capture1.TXT

Frame    Time     Src MAC Addr     Dst MAC Addr     Protocol  Description
Src Other Addr    Dst Other Addr    Type Other Addr

(Begining or trace deleted)

35       11:01:38 Cisco 3E1372     RICIS-32         FTP       Resp. to Port
1027, '220------------------------------- 204.148.146.67    RICIS-32          IP
36       11:01:38 Cisco 3E1372     RICIS-32         FTP       Resp. to Port
1027, '220-   Welcome to the Omron Electr 204.148.146.67    RICIS-32          IP
37       11:01:38 RICIS-32         Cisco 3E1372     TCP       .A...., len:
0, seq:    791183, ack:3339452942, win: RICIS-32          204.148.146.67    IP
38       11:01:38 Cisco 3E1372     RICIS-32         FTP       Resp. to Port
1027, ''                                  204.148.146.67    RICIS-32          IP
39       11:01:38 RICIS-32         Cisco 3E1372     FTP       Req. from Port
1027, 'USER anonymous'                   RICIS-32          204.148.146.67    IP
40       11:01:38 Cisco 3E1372     RICIS-32         FTP       Resp. to Port
1027, '331 Guest login ok, send your comp 204.148.146.67    RICIS-32          IP
41       11:01:38 RICIS-32         Cisco 3E1372     FTP       Req. from Port
1027, 'PASS mozilla@'                    RICIS-32          204.148.146.67    IP
42       11:01:39 Cisco 3E1372     RICIS-32         FTP       Resp. to Port
1027, '230------------------------------- 204.148.146.67    RICIS-32          IP
43       11:01:39 RICIS-32         Cisco 3E1372     TCP       .A...., len:
0, seq:    791214, ack:3339453077, win: RICIS-32          204.148.146.67    IP
44       11:01:39 Cisco 3E1372     RICIS-32         FTP       Resp. to Port
1027, '230- '                             204.148.146.67    RICIS-32          IP
45       11:01:39 RICIS-32         Cisco 3E1372     FTP       Req. from Port
1027, 'SYST'                             RICIS-32          204.148.146.67    IP
46       11:01:39 Cisco 3E1372     RICIS-32         FTP       Resp. to Port
1027, '215 UNIX Type: L8 Version: BSD-199 204.148.146.67    RICIS-32          IP
47       11:01:39 RICIS-32         Cisco 3E1372     FTP       Req. from Port
1027, 'PWD'                              RICIS-32          204.148.146.67    IP
48       11:01:39 Cisco 3E1372     RICIS-32         FTP       Resp. to Port
1027, '257 "/" is current directory.'     204.148.146.67    RICIS-32          IP
49       11:01:39 RICIS-32         Cisco 3E1372     FTP       Req. from Port
1027, 'PASV'                             RICIS-32          204.148.146.67    IP
50       11:01:39 Cisco 3E1372     RICIS-32         FTP       Resp. to Port
1027, '227 Entering Passive Mode (204,148 204.148.146.67    RICIS-32          IP
51       11:01:39 RICIS-32         Cisco 3E1372     TCP       ....S., len:
4, seq:    792777, ack:         0, win: RICIS-32          204.148.146.67    IP
52       11:01:39 RICIS-32         Cisco 3E1372     TCP       .A...., len:
0, seq:    791231, ack:3339453683, win: RICIS-32          204.148.146.67    IP
53       11:01:39 Cisco 3E1372     RICIS-32         TCP       .A..S., len:
4, seq:3339898124, ack:    792778, win: 204.148.146.67    RICIS-32          IP
54       11:01:39 RICIS-32         Cisco 3E1372     TCP       .A...., len:
0, seq:    792778, ack:3339898125, win: RICIS-32          204.148.146.67    IP
55       11:01:39 RICIS-32         Cisco 3E1372     FTP       Req. from Port
1027, 'TYPE I'                           RICIS-32          204.148.146.67    IP
56       11:01:40 Cisco 3E1372     RICIS-32         FTP       Resp. to Port
1027, '200 Type set to I.'                204.148.146.67    RICIS-32          IP
57       11:01:40 RICIS-32         Cisco 3E1372     FTP       Req. from Port
1027, 'SIZE /'                           RICIS-32          204.148.146.67    IP
58       11:01:40 Cisco 3E1372     RICIS-32         FTP       Resp. to Port
1027, '550 /: not a plain file.'          204.148.146.67    RICIS-32          IP
59       11:01:40 RICIS-32         Cisco 3E1372     FTP       Req. from Port
1027, 'CWD /'                            RICIS-32          204.148.146.67    IP
60       11:01:40 Cisco 3E1372     RICIS-32         FTP       Resp. to Port
1027, '250 CWD command successful.'       204.148.146.67    RICIS-32          IP
61       11:01:40 RICIS-32         Cisco 3E1372     FTP       Req. from Port
1027, 'LIST'                             RICIS-32          204.148.146.67    IP
62       11:01:40 Cisco 3E1372     RICIS-32         FTP       Resp. to Port
1027, '150 Opening BINARY mode data conne 204.148.146.67    RICIS-32          IP
63       11:01:40 RICIS-32         Cisco 3E1372     TCP       .A...., len:
0, seq:    791260, ack:3339453812, win: RICIS-32          204.148.146.67    IP
64       11:01:41 Cisco 3E1372     RICIS-32         TCP       .AP..., len:
302, seq:3339898125, ack:    792778, win: 204.148.146.67    RICIS-32          IP
65       11:01:41 Cisco 3E1372     RICIS-32         FTP       Resp. to Port
1027, '226 Transfer complete.'            204.148.146.67    RICIS-32          IP
66       11:01:41 Cisco 3E1372     RICIS-32         TCP       .A...F, len:
0, seq:3339898427, ack:    792778, win: 204.148.146.67    RICIS-32          IP
67       11:01:41 RICIS-32         Cisco 3E1372     TCP       .A...., len:
0, seq:    792778, ack:3339898428, win: RICIS-32          204.148.146.67    IP
68       11:01:41 RICIS-32         Cisco 3E1372     TCP       .A...., len:
0, seq:    791260, ack:3339453836, win: RICIS-32          204.148.146.67    IP
69       11:01:41 RICIS-32         Cisco 3E1372     TCP       ...R.., len:
0, seq:    792778, ack:3339453836, win: RICIS-32          204.148.146.67    IP
70       11:01:42 Cisco 3E1372     RICIS-32         FTP       Resp. to Port
1027, '226 Transfer complete.'            204.148.146.67    RICIS-32          IP
71       11:01:42 RICIS-32         Cisco 3E1372     TCP       .A...., len:
0, seq:    791260, ack:3339453836, win: RICIS-32          204.148.146.67    IP
72       11:01:43 RICIS-32         Cisco 3E1372     FTP       Req. from Port
1027, 'PASV'                             RICIS-32          204.148.146.67    IP
73       11:01:43 Cisco 3E1372     RICIS-32         FTP       Resp. to Port
1027, '227 Entering Passive Mode (204,148 204.148.146.67    RICIS-32          IP
74       11:01:43 RICIS-32         Cisco 3E1372     TCP       ....S., len:
4, seq:    796864, ack:         0, win: RICIS-32          204.148.146.67    IP
75       11:01:43 Cisco 3E1372     RICIS-32         TCP       .A..S., len:
4, seq:3341171330, ack:    796865, win: 204.148.146.67    RICIS-32          IP
76       11:01:43 RICIS-32         Cisco 3E1372     TCP       .A...., len:
0, seq:    796865, ack:3341171331, win: RICIS-32          204.148.146.67    IP
77       11:01:43 RICIS-32         Cisco 3E1372     FTP       Req. from Port
1027, 'SIZE /pub/'                       RICIS-32          204.148.146.67    IP
78       11:01:44 Cisco 3E1372     RICIS-32         FTP       Resp. to Port
1027, '550 /pub/: not a plain file.'      204.148.146.67    RICIS-32          IP
79       11:01:44 RICIS-32         Cisco 3E1372     FTP       Req. from Port
1027, 'CWD /pub/'                        RICIS-32          204.148.146.67    IP
80       11:01:44 Cisco 3E1372     RICIS-32         TCP       .A...F, len:
0, seq:3339453917, ack:    791289, win: 204.148.146.67    RICIS-32          IP
81       11:01:44 RICIS-32         Cisco 3E1372     TCP       .A...., len:
0, seq:    791289, ack:3339453918, win: RICIS-32          204.148.146.67    IP
82       11:01:44 Cisco 3E1372     RICIS-32         TCP       .A.R.., len:
0, seq:3341171331, ack:    796865, win: 204.148.146.67    RICIS-32          IP
83       11:01:44 RICIS-32         Cisco 3E1372     TCP       ...R.., len:
0, seq:    791289, ack:3339453918, win: RICIS-32          204.148.146.67    IP
84       11:01:44 RICIS-32         Cisco 3E1372     TCP       ....S., len:
4, seq:    797215, ack:         0, win: RICIS-32          204.148.146.67    IP
85       11:01:44 Cisco 3E1372     RICIS-32         TCP       .A..S., len:
4, seq:3341246326, ack:    797216, win: 204.148.146.67    RICIS-32          IP
86       11:01:44 RICIS-32         Cisco 3E1372     TCP       .A...., len:
0, seq:    797216, ack:3341246327, win: RICIS-32          204.148.146.67    IP
87       11:01:45 Cisco 3E1372     RICIS-32         FTP       Resp. to Port
1030, '220------------------------------- 204.148.146.67    RICIS-32          IP
88       11:01:45 Cisco 3E1372     RICIS-32         FTP       Resp. to Port
1030, '220-   Welcome to the Omron Electr 204.148.146.67    RICIS-32          IP
89       11:01:45 RICIS-32         Cisco 3E1372     TCP       .A...., len:
0, seq:    797216, ack:3341246900, win: RICIS-32          204.148.146.67    IP
90       11:01:45 Cisco 3E1372     RICIS-32         FTP       Resp. to Port
1030, ''                                  204.148.146.67    RICIS-32          IP
91       11:01:45 RICIS-32         Cisco 3E1372     FTP       Req. from Port
1030, 'USER anonymous'                   RICIS-32          204.148.146.67    IP
92       11:01:45 Cisco 3E1372     RICIS-32         FTP       Resp. to Port
1030, '331 Guest login ok, send your comp 204.148.146.67    RICIS-32          IP
93       11:01:45 RICIS-32         Cisco 3E1372     FTP       Req. from Port
1030, 'PASS mozilla@'                    RICIS-32          204.148.146.67    IP
94       11:01:45 Cisco 3E1372     RICIS-32         FTP       Resp. to Port
1030, '230------------------------------- 204.148.146.67    RICIS-32          IP
95       11:01:45 RICIS-32         Cisco 3E1372     TCP       .A...., len:
0, seq:    797247, ack:3341247035, win: RICIS-32          204.148.146.67    IP
96       11:01:45 Cisco 3E1372     RICIS-32         FTP       Resp. to Port
1030, '230- '                             204.148.146.67    RICIS-32          IP
97       11:01:45 RICIS-32         Cisco 3E1372     FTP       Req. from Port
1030, 'SYST'                             RICIS-32          204.148.146.67    IP
98       11:01:45 Cisco 3E1372     RICIS-32         FTP       Resp. to Port
1030, '215 UNIX Type: L8 Version: BSD-199 204.148.146.67    RICIS-32          IP
99       11:01:45 RICIS-32         Cisco 3E1372     FTP       Req. from Port
1030, 'PASV'                             RICIS-32          204.148.146.67    IP
100      11:01:46 Cisco 3E1372     RICIS-32         FTP       Resp. to Port
1030, '227 Entering Passive Mode (204,148 204.148.146.67    RICIS-32          IP
101      11:01:46 RICIS-32         Cisco 3E1372     TCP       ....S., len:
4, seq:    799103, ack:         0, win: RICIS-32          204.148.146.67    IP
102      11:01:46 Cisco 3E1372     RICIS-32         TCP       .A..S., len:
4, seq:3341693259, ack:    799104, win: 204.148.146.67    RICIS-32          IP
103      11:01:46 RICIS-32         Cisco 3E1372     TCP       .A...., len:
0, seq:    799104, ack:3341693260, win: RICIS-32          204.148.146.67    IP
104      11:01:46 RICIS-32         Cisco 3E1372     FTP       Req. from Port
1030, 'TYPE I'                           RICIS-32          204.148.146.67    IP
105      11:01:46 Cisco 3E1372     RICIS-32         FTP       Resp. to Port
1030, '200 Type set to I.'                204.148.146.67    RICIS-32          IP
106      11:01:46 RICIS-32         Cisco 3E1372     FTP       Req. from Port
1030, 'SIZE /pub/'                       RICIS-32          204.148.146.67    IP
107      11:01:46 Cisco 3E1372     RICIS-32         FTP       Resp. to Port
1030, '550 /pub/: not a plain file.'      204.148.146.67    RICIS-32          IP
108      11:01:46 RICIS-32         Cisco 3E1372     FTP       Req. from Port
1030, 'CWD /pub/'                        RICIS-32          204.148.146.67    IP
109      11:01:46 Cisco 3E1372     RICIS-32         TCP       .A...F, len:
0, seq:3341247660, ack:    797290, win: 204.148.146.67    RICIS-32          IP
110      11:01:46 RICIS-32         Cisco 3E1372     TCP       .A...., len:
0, seq:    797290, ack:3341247661, win: RICIS-32          204.148.146.67    IP
111      11:01:46 RICIS-32         Cisco 3E1372     TCP       ...R.., len:
0, seq:    799104, ack:3341247661, win: RICIS-32          204.148.146.67    IP
112      11:01:46 RICIS-32         Cisco 3E1372     TCP       ...R.., len:
0, seq:    797290, ack:3341247661, win: RICIS-32          204.148.146.67    IP
113      11:01:46 Cisco 3E1372     RICIS-32         TCP       .A.R.., len:
0, seq:3341693260, ack:    799104, win: 204.148.146.67    RICIS-32          IP
114      11:01:47 Cisco 3E1372     Cisco 3E1372     ETHERNET  ETYPE = 0x9000
: Protocol = Loopback (Configuration Tes                                      
115      11:01:52 3COM  CB8741     *BROADCAST       SAP       General Svc
Query [General Service Query]               0.00608CCB8741    0.FFFFFFFFFFFF
IPX/XNS
116      11:00:42 000000000000     000000000000     STATS     Number of
Frames Captured = 115

--
Gregg Rosenberg 
16021 S. Forest Ave.
Oak Forest, IL 60452-4013

(NBFAA, RL, MCSE, MCT, CNE, IBM LS, Sun/OS, Ameritech CD/PD, ...)

Call sign: N9NNO    

+1 708-687-9562     Home Office
+1 708-687-9551     Home
+1 312-339-9881     Cell
+1 312-839-2343     Pager

+1 708-980-0770     Just Networks, Inc.
+1 312-857-1515     USConnect Chicago / Kenwood Associates, Inc.
+32 15 24 50 58       Euronetworks / FDDI Institute

"Obstacles are those frightful things you see whne you 
take your eyes off your goals."  Author unknown

---

From: [email-masked] (Bill Campbell)
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 1996 13:47:28 -0700 (PDT)

>
>--=====================_838593008==_
>Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>

Is there any way to get Netscape to give a legitimate e-mail address
instead of mozilla@?  We run a large anon-ftp site, and I would like
to reject the obviously bogus e-mail address (I've hacked beta11 to do
this including addresses like mozilla, www, and other common
DOS/Windows stuff).  I've hunted around in the various Netscape menus
and .ini files and haven't found any way to change this.

Bill
--
INTERNET:   [email-masked]  Bill Campbell; Celestial Systems, Inc.
UUCP:               camco!bill  PO Box 820; 2835 82nd Avenue S.E. S-100
FAX:            (206) 232-9186  Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820; (206) 236-1676
URL: http://www.celestial.com/

The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common.
Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts
to fit their views ... which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to
be one of the facts that needs altering.
                -- Doctor Who, "Face of Evil"