Subject: "Re: Accessing an FTP site from Internet Explorer"

From: Edward Murphy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 1996 11:03:37 -0500 (CDT)

> We have an intranet web site which accesses our ftp site, however IE =
> v3.0 will not access it, mainly because it is called www.mydomain.com, =
> Netscape has no trouble using ftp://www.mydomain.com but IE refuses to =
> work with this and always claims the URL doesn't exist.

Is this a beta version of IE? Also, what OS are you using it under (curious 
to know if it's Win NT 4.0 Beta)? I tried (as I'm sure many already have)
accessing ftp://www.mydomain.com with IE 1.5 under Windows NT 3.51 and seemed
to have no problems (that are immediately obvious). 

One more clarification: does IE return a message saying it can't deliver the
FTP directory to you for some reason? Or do you get a message claiming that
www.mydomain.com doesn't exist? Or does the message indicate something else? 

> I aliased www.mydomain.com to be ftp.mydomain.com but that made no =
> difference, I mention this because IE has no trouble with sites such as 
> ftp://ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu/...., so I figured perhaps it needs the ftp =
> protocol and ftp site name.

A domain name that begins with "ftp." doesn't have any special significance
with respect to any browser I've used. (<sarcasm type="playful"> Although 
with Microsoft, you never know... :) </sarcasm>). 

Regards,
Ed

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
= Edward Murphy * [email-masked] =
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=