Subject: ftphosts file problem

From: MIke <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 1996 09:37:38 -0400

i am trying to figure out how to use the ftphosts file, but its not seeming
to work out :( to test things out, i type in:

deny * *.com

That should deny access from all users from the *.com domain right? because
i am on *.net and i couldn't access it either. Would that line mean it would
deny access to ALL users from the *.com domain?

What did i do wrong?

                                                thanks
                                        [email-masked]

---

From: Chris Hamilton <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 1996 09:12:14 -0500 (CDT)

> deny access to ALL users from the *.com domain?

I'm guessing here (since I had problems with ftphosts, too); but have you 
tried adding an "allow" line for everybody before the deny line:

> allow * *

If it works like the access file for NCSA HTTPd, rules are applied 
cumulatively, so the allow is necessary as a default...  I really don't 
know if this will work.  If it does, you should test from a *.com host, 
of course...

Chris