Subject: Problem with latest beta.11

From: Forrest Aldrich <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 1996 17:21:27 -0400 (EDT)

Stan,

I posted to the list, but haven't been able to resolve the problem.

I've altered pathnames.h as I usually to to suit my preferences for where
the files should be located (for me, /usr/local); however, regardless of
this, the compiled executable has /etc as the location and thus fails to
log and read ftpaccess.  I can't figure out what's wrong... I'm using
gcc-2.7.2 on Solaris-2.4.

Thanks,

Forrie

---

From: Chris Hamilton <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 1996 13:21:42 -0500 (CDT)

Hi all.

I'm running 2.4.2 beta 11 on a Solaris 2.5 box (Intel x86), compiled with 
gcc 2.6.2.

Everything is working as expected for anonymous ftp, as long as you log 
in as user "anonymous":

>>220 wingnut2 FTP server (Version wu-2.4.2-academ[BETA-11](1) Tue
>>Jun 25 16:40:15 CDT 1996) ready.
>>Name (158.114.xxx.xxx:chamilto): anonymous
>>331 Guest login ok, send your complete e-mail address as password.
>>Password:
>>230- ---------- Welcome to the BDM Anonymous FTP Server ----------
>>230-
>>230- Report problems to [email-masked].  If you have problems,
>>230- try using a dash (-) as the first character of your password. 
(blah, blah).

HOWEVER-- if I login as "ftp" instead:

>>Name (158.114.xxx.xxx:chamilto): ftp
>>530 User ftp access denied.
>>Login failed.

Anybody seen this problem?  Here are some particulars on my config:

/etc/passwd:
  ftp:x:125:125:Anonymous FTP:/opt/anonftp:/bin/ftponly

/etc/shells:
  # the following shells are allowed on this host.
  /bin/sh
  /bin/ksh
  /bin/csh
  /bin/ftponly

/bin/ftponly: symlinked to /bin/true

The "ftp" account is "locked".  That is--no login access for "ftp".  
Running "passwd -sa" gives:
  ftp  LK

I've tried it with ftp unlocked w/&w/o a password.  Same results.  
Bugger.  Even tried changing the shell from /bin/ftponly to /bin/csh... 
Even took the comment line out of /etc/shells... No help...  
Double-bugger.

Hints?
Chris H.

---

From: Carl Payne <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 96 12:39:20 -0600

> Even took the comment line out of /etc/shells... No help...  

I'm not sure if this is 100% applicable, but, hey, you're
trying everything!

Do you have an /etc/ftphosts file?  If so, is ftp in it?  If so,
remove it and see if that helps.

If not, then I'm daffy, nevermind, and sorry.

Carl

---

From: Chris Hamilton <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 1996 17:35:09 -0500 (CDT)

> remove it and see if that helps.

<Ebarrassed grin> Yep-- that was it!  Thanks a million.

Chris "Boyismyfacered" H.