Subject: password for ftp...

From: Russ Hartman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 1996 16:47:44 -0400

Can someone explain how to go about setting up an ftp site so that 
a remote user can have access to just a specific directory without
actually giving them a shell. I would like to have the user prompted
for a password if they are coming in with Netscape and also be 
prompted for a password if they're coming in through a command line
ftp session. Is this possible?

					Thanks,
					Russ Hartman

---

From: Jim Lentini <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 1996 15:34:39 -0600 (MDT)

Yup,

Managing Internet Information Services from O'Reilly & Associates Pg. 80 
mentions how to create a restricted shell.

jim

	##################################
	##	James V. Lentini	##
	##	Systems Analyst		##
	##	Voice:303.275.2414	##
	##################################

---

From: "James B. Byrne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 1996 18:12:19 -0400

Ok

There are three things to do.

1.	Make sure that your user is set up with a shell like /bin/false

2.	Make sure that their home directory is where you want them to go.

3.	Make sure that /bin/false is added to /etc/shells

So a typical entry in the passwd file might look something like:

userid:cnskjssdke73i439i:xxx:yyy:usersname:/home/userid/./:/bin/false

If I have missed some other required perameter fit it in where ever it
goes and make the necessary mental adjustment. This setup will permit
ftp login under their user name and password but will cause telnet to
fail.  If you need to disable ftp access for the user just add their
name to ftpusers which dispite its name is a list of userids which may
NOT use FTP access.

Regards,
-- 
James B. Byrne                 mailto:[email-masked]
Harte & Lyne Limited           http://www.harte-lyne.ca
Hamilton, Ontario              905-561-1241