Subject: WU-FPTD: ls problem with Solaris 2.3

From: John Sletten <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1996 16:39:21 +0200

Dear wu-ftpd users

Having just recently installed wu-ftpd 2.4 on Solaris 2.3 I really only 
have one problem. This concerns the ls command. The command is tested in 
a chroot environment i.e. chroot /home/somedir /bin/ls and works 
perfectly. 

When invoking ls from an ftp client, the two first columns of output are 
missing. When activating logging of commands from the server, it is 
clear that this problem only arises when the NLST command is selected. 
The LIST command always works.

In addition, the results from ls are displayed one file per line. I.e. 
the files are output in a single column.

Has anyone seen anything like this ?

Best Regards

John Sletten
Independent Consultant Norway

---

From: Dave Packham <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1996 21:04:51 -0600

How do I get off this list??

Please

>----------
>From: 	[email-masked][SMTP:[email-masked]]
>Sent: 	Tuesday, July 23, 1996 8:05 PM
>To: 	[email-masked]
>Cc: 	[email-masked]
>Subject: 	Re: WU-FPTD: ls problem with Solaris 2.3
>
>Hi, Dear wu-ftpd users,
>
>
>I have already reported the same problem as John Sletten described. I
>just
>installed wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-11 on Solaris 2.5 , but the result of "ls"
>was
>incorrect. The first two characters of filenames was missing. 
>
>with kind regards,
>
>-- Guisi Wang
>System Administrator of North China Institute of Computing Technology
>

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 08:52:25 +0200

rh> 
rh> Hi, Dear wu-ftpd users,
rh> 
rh> 
rh> I have already reported the same problem as John Sletten described. I just
rh> installed wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-11 on Solaris 2.5 , but the result of "ls" was
rh> incorrect. The first two characters of filenames was missing. 

Smells like the SYSV / BSD directory incompatibility. Did you compile
wu-ftpd with /usr/ucb/cc? If so, don't. When you are using gcc, I think
it is possible that gcc is configured wrong, but I don't know that one
for sure ...

rh> 
rh> with kind regards,
rh> 
rh> -- Guisi Wang
rh> System Administrator of North China Institute of Computing Technology
rh> 

Hope this is the one,

Ronald.