Subject: adding users that teh ftp server recognizes

From: MIke <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 20:52:40 -0400

I've been trying to add users to my server that can only access an ftp
account, not a shell account. I tried adding a user to the /etc/passwd file
with the shell listed as /bin/false, but then the ftp server refused access
by that user. I then tried listing the shell as /bin/noshell and then
/etc/noshell. But the ftp server refused a connection by the users then too.
And then, by someone else's recommendation, i tried setting up the user with
his home directory as /dev/null, wich allowed the user to login via ftp, but
since /dev/null was set as teh home directory, instead of /home/ftp it
didn't bring the user to teh ftp server.

                                Any ideas would be greatly appreciated
                                                Thanks
                                        [email-masked]

---

From: William Denton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 22:30:29 -0400 (EDT)

> /etc/noshell. But the ftp server refused a connection by the users then too.

Whichever shell you use, it has to be in /etc/shells.  Mine has bash, 
tcsh and all our other old pals as well as /bin/false.

> didn't bring the user to teh ftp server.

Try making their home directory /home/name/./ - after that it should work,
and you'll just have to check your file permissions and such.

Bill
-- 
William Denton | <URL:http://www.io.org/~buff/> | [email-masked] | Caveat lector.

---

From: "Jantz C. Tran" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 1996 16:13:30 -0700

> tcsh and all our other old pals as well as /bin/false.

I've been having the same problem with using /bin/false as the shell. There 
is no shell file in my /etc directory (I'm using Solaris 2.4),
so I don't know what to do. Do I just create the shell file with a listing
of all the shells?

-Jantz

---

From: Chris Hamilton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 1996 08:32:50 -0500 (CDT)

> so I don't know what to do. Do I just create the shell file with a listing

Yup.