Subject: problem with uid

From: "Andrew F. Mitchell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 13:05:01 GMT

I just built wu-ftpd 2.4 and installed. All seems to work well, except
I can not see user names when getting long listings of files as a
logged in anonymous ftp user. As a real user it's fine.  So...I
suspect somethign wrong with the passwd file in ~ftp/etc but can't
figure out what.  Permissions are set as suggested in the README
for wuftp.  This is on Solaris 2.5.  If anyone has a suggestion, I'd
be most appreciative.

Thanks,
	Andy

------------------
Andrew F. Mitchell, Network Systems Administrator, [email-masked]
The University of Florida Biotechnology Program,   (352) 846-1733

"I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it."
						   - Erwin Schrodinger

---

From: Rich Bud <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 13:56:53 -0400 (EDT)

> logged in anonymous ftp user. As a real user it's fine.  So...I

If you mean you only see the uid, try adding /usr/lib/nss_files.so*
(and perhaps other nss_ libs if you're running NIS/NIS+/whatever) to 
~ftp/usr/lib. This is documented in the man page for the ftpd that 
comes with Solaris, but not in wu-ftpd.
 
In fact, the solaris man page lists all of the libs below: a couple of
them don't seem to be needed, but it doesn't hurt to throw them all
in. It also claims you need to copy /etc/netconfig into ~ftp/etc, but
I'm having no trouble without it.
 
                        Luck,
                        Rich
 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------%
  Rich Bud                                  Current Temporary Acting Asst
  [email-masked]                         Deputy System Administrator
  [email-masked]                (Pro Tem)
  1.919.966.7791                            Bios Dept, UNC-Chapel Hill
%----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
in.ftpd(1M)           Maintenance Commands            in.ftpd(1M)

     ~ftp/usr/lib
                 Make this directory owned by the super-user  and
                 unwritable by anyone.  Copy the following shared
                 libraries from /usr/lib into this directory.:
 
                 ld.so*
                 libc.so*
                 libdl.so*
                 libintl.so*
                 libw.so*
                 libnsl.so*
                 libsocket.so*
                 nss_nis.so*
                 nss_nisplus.so*
                 nss_dns.so*