Subject: FYI - file locking...

From: [email-masked] (Mark S. Tremblay)
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 10:01:22 -0400 (EDT)

A few weeks ago, I sent out an inquiry for file locking within ftpd.
I am trying to prevent the situation where a STOR is currently active
and a RETR is able to pull the same file at the same time.  

There didn't seem to be any information out there on this subject so I
went ahead and made a few changes to the source code.

If there are others interested in seeing the changes, let me know.

In concept, all that is being done is a 

lockf (int fp, F_TLOCK, (long) 0) when the put occurs, and a 
lockf (int fp, F_TEST, (long) 0) when the get occurs.

If there is any information on security concerns with this, or there
is a person willing to look over the changes to make sure I didn't put
in some enormous security risk, let me know and I'll send along the
changes.

Thanks,

-- 
-Mark S. Tremblay
 Eastman Kodak - Elmgrove Plant
 [email-masked]
 (716) 253-0102