Subject: 2.4.2b11, Solaris 2.5 + NISkit1.2 == :-(

From: Chin Fang <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 1996 01:59:22 -0700 (PDT)

We have a bunch of Sun SPARCs running Solaris 2.5.  Wu-ftpd 2.4.2b11
is installed on each of them.  We are getting more SSes, so I want to
centralize the system management.  On one machine, I setup the NISkit
1.2, and plan to export user directories from this machine.  To make
sure things, I set aside one machine for testing.

A test account was created for staff (myself, gid 10).  No problems.
FTPing from another machines to the test machine works.  

I then created another test account using a different group (gid =
3000).  After Logging in the test machine from other machines, a dir
or ls always produces the infamous

425 Can't create data socket (0.0.0.0,20): Bad file number.

Changing the gid for this test account from 3000 to 10 (staff), then
both dir and ls worked again!

I did ypcat group, the test group (gid 3000) is in the listing.  So, it
can't be caused by missing gid. I was able to login, so password was
taken from the NIS without doubt.

I would appreciate it very much for some hints why this is so and whether
there is a way to fix the problem.

Thanks,

Chin Fang
[email-masked]