Subject: 553 error on anon uploads

From: Rusty <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 1996 18:21:21 -0500 (CDT)

I searched through the FAQ and the archive of the list and saw the question
asked but no answer so...

I'm having trouble with anonymous users being able to upload to a directory
they don't have read permissions on.

system:  BSD/OS 2.1 wu-ftpd 2.4

% cd ~ftp
% pwd
/usr/opt/anonftp
% ls -ld in.coming
drwx-wx-wt  2 root  staff  512 Jul  8 17:36 in.coming/
% cd /etc
% grep upload ftpaccess
# specify the upload directory information
upload  /usr/opt/anonftp    *             no
upload  /usr/opt/anonftp    /in.coming     yes     root    staff  0600 nodirs
% ftp ftp
Connected to oxywhite.interaccess.com.
220 oxywhite.interaccess.com FTP server (Version wu-2.4(1) Fri Feb 23
17:06:34 MST 1996) ready.
Name (ftp:rusty): anonymous
331 Guest login ok, send your complete e-mail address as password.
Password:
[welcome message deleted]
ftp> ls
200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for /bin/ls.
total 290
[unimportant directories deleted]
drwx-wx-wt   2 root      staff     512 Jul  8 17:36 in.coming
ftp> cd in.coming
250 CWD command successful.
ftp> put hosts.allow
local: hosts.allow remote: hosts.allow
200 PORT command successful.
553 Could not determine cwdir: Permission denied.

That's where I'm stuck.  Everything works fine if I add the r (read) bits
to the missing places, but that lets anonymous users list off filenames
which we don't want.

Please, someone *bonk* me on the head and tell me what I am doing wrong.

-Rusty

Unix Services Administrator   -   InterAccess Co.
"I live life on the edge...     I really should drink less caffeine." -Me
"If you don't receive this e-mail call Central Services immediately." -Jay K
MooseHead SLED   sled.moosehead.com 4000   http://www.moosehead.com/

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 1996 18:46:43 -0500 (CDT)

> they don't have read permissions on.
...
> drwx-wx-wt   2 root      staff     512 Jul  8 17:36 in.coming

Did you set the permissions to 1733?  I can't tell the difference on Linux
between setting permissions to 733 or 1733 because the 't' covers up the
'x' (should be either T or X, I suppose), so the above line is
inconclusive.  I just checked, and I can upload into my incoming directory
with the directory permissions set to 1733 (they've been at 733 up until
now).

   -- Michael

---

From: Rusty <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 1996 13:23:21 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 8 Jul 1996, Michael Brennen wrote:
> Did you set the permissions to 1733?

Yes, the directory is set 1733

I also got the suggestion that the directory be owned by ftp.  I tried that
and it did work, but this defeats the purpose of having a directory
without read permissions since the anonymous users can list off the files.
This is also being used as a trial directory so that others can set up the
same type of directory for personal uploads.  These other directories will
not be owned by ftp either.

To recap: the above listed directory gets an error

when you try to PUT to it.  Any other ideas?

-Rusty