Subject: Re: chroot() is not working

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 11:06:56 +0600

>but no chroot() to /usr3/ftp/invite occurs ! 
>I'm still in /usr2/ftp which is the filesystem of my FTP server 
>invite:x:701:700:Invite FTP:/usr3/ftp/./invite/:/bin/false

As far as I can determine, the chroot() is to /usr3/ftp, not to 
/usr3/ftp/invite. There's a 'cd' to invite after that. This comes
from beating my head on basically the same problem, and finally
reading the output of 'truss'.

I'd posted last week looking for why anonymous worked but guests
failed. Answer is in the chroot. I understood that it did a chroot()
to the guest directory, but it doesn't. Either I need to RTFM better,
or I need to understand more of what I know.

Jim Hurd  [email-masked] 402.691.3299 
Lucent Technologies
Omaha, NE 68137

---

From: Sean Mc Elligott <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 96 12:43:54 EST

Group,

	I've installed wu-ftpd 2.4 on a HP 712 running 9.05 and it's working really well apart from one crucial problem. When the users log on they cannot see the file or directories that exist in their accounts. All of the permissions are OK on the files. This is driving me insane and I'm sure it's something really stupid but I need help

	/etc/passwd
seantest:Akhguykjk:5001:203:Guest Account:/users/./seantest/:/bin/ksh

	/users/ftp/etc/ftpaccess
class   remote   guest,real	*

message /tmp/welcome.msg            login

log commands guest
log transfers anonymous,real inbound,outbound

guestgroup ftponly

	/etc/group
ftponly:*:203:seantest

	When the users logs on everything works fine then he types "ls" to see what files are in the directory and it comes back and says "command completed". The files do exist as you can type "get and/or put" and once you know the name of the file you're ok.
	Apologies for the rambling nature of the message. I will summarize.

	Sean.
[email-masked]

---

From: "Mark W. de Raad" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 12:41:38 +0930 (CST)

> 	Apologies for the rambling nature of the message. I will summarize.

I noticed that you are using chrooted homes for the ftp logins... Have you
set up 'bin' and possibly 'lib' directories in those homes? Since you 
are effectively chrooting their login to that part of the tree,
users are unable to to execute the system 'ls' and hence will not be 
able to see their files....

If you setup a bin and lib directory, as per anon ftp, in their homes
that should solve the problem....

Cheers,

M

Mark W. de Raad			    			o
					             _ /-_
University of South Australia                 ......(_)>(_)
Australia

Telephone: (+6115) 717 472
In Australia: 015 717 472
For Quick response, please mail: [email-masked]

                              _\\|//_
                              ( O-O )
---------------------------o00--(_)--00o------------------------------
                    I Can't Even Think StRaIgHt!

---

From: Sean Mc Elligott <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 96 16:37:19 EST

Thanks for the speedy responses, especially to Mark W. de Raad and to Michael Brennen. My problem was as expected embarassingly simple to solve, just had to put /bin/ls in the guest directory structure.

	My original question:

Group,

	/etc/passwd

	/users/ftp/etc/ftpaccess

log commands guest

guestgroup ftponly

	/etc/group
ftponly:*:203:seantest

	Sean.
[email-masked]