Subject: Very strange, inconsistent, behavior

From: David Dyer-Bennet <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 1996 00:46 -0500 (CDT)

I must have some *very* interesting misconfiguration somewhere; I'm
looking for suggestions.  Depending on the ftp client I use, I can
either see, or not see, the directories and files in my ftp areas.
(Sorry, I'm talking about *anonymous* ftp here.)

I'm running wu ftpd 2.4 on Linux; I used a binary that came with the
distribution, and I built one myself, they both behave the same.

When I come in using the ftp client on my own or another linux box, I
cannot see any files or directories.  I can, however, CD into
directories, and I can download files if I know their exact names.  I
get the same behavior using a web browser with an ftp: URL pointing to
my box.

When I come in using the ftp client on a sunos box, or the one that
came with Windows 95, I can see all the files and directories just
fine.

I turned on debugging logging in ftpd;

This is a relevant part of the log from the successful session on the
sunos box:

Jul 14 00:39:34 gw ftpd[13322]: <--- 230 
Jul 14 00:39:34 gw ftpd[13322]: Guest login ok, access restrictions apply.
Jul 14 00:39:35 gw ftpd[13322]: command: PORT 204,73,51,1,6,58^M 
Jul 14 00:39:35 gw ftpd[13322]: <--- 200 
Jul 14 00:39:35 gw ftpd[13322]: PORT command successful.
Jul 14 00:39:35 gw ftpd[13322]: command: NLST^M 
Jul 14 00:39:35 gw ftpd[13322]: <--- 150 
Jul 14 00:39:35 gw ftpd[13322]: Opening ASCII mode data connection for file list.
Jul 14 00:39:35 gw ftpd[13322]: <--- 226 
Jul 14 00:39:35 gw ftpd[13322]: Transfer complete.

This is a relevant part of the log from the unsuccessful session on
the linux box:

Jul 14 00:43:00 gw ftpd[13388]: Guest login ok, access restrictions apply.
Jul 14 00:43:00 gw ftpd[13388]: command: SYST^M 
Jul 14 00:43:00 gw ftpd[13388]: <--- 215 
Jul 14 00:43:00 gw ftpd[13388]: UNIX Type: L8
Jul 14 00:43:01 gw ftpd[13388]: command: PORT 204,73,51,21,6,219^M 
Jul 14 00:43:01 gw ftpd[13388]: <--- 200 
Jul 14 00:43:01 gw ftpd[13388]: PORT command successful.
Jul 14 00:43:01 gw ftpd[13388]: command: LIST^M 
Jul 14 00:43:01 gw ftpd[13388]: <--- 150 
Jul 14 00:43:01 gw ftpd[13388]: Opening ASCII mode data connection for /bin/ls.
Jul 14 00:43:02 gw ftpd[13388]: <--- 226 
Jul 14 00:43:02 gw ftpd[13388]: Transfer complete.

While there are some differences, I don't see either one as clearly
wrong.  They don't show me a way to go.  (I do have ls in ~ftp/bin).

---x--x--x   2 root     root        26976 Jun 18 09:42 ls

---

From: Chris Hamilton <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 1996 09:16:25 -0500 (CDT)

> Jul 14 00:39:35 gw ftpd[13322]: Transfer complete.

I've seen this, too; but not consistently.  If you do two ls's in a row, 
the second one will work.  I think it's really the output of the first 
one, though.  It seems to be some sort of synchronization problem.  The 
ouput of your client-side ftp commands seems to come back out-of-phase.

If you figure out what's causing this, please let me know!  :)

Chris