Subject: chroot

From: "Kerr, James A." <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 96 11:23:00 EST

For some reason I can't get chroot to work properly.  I use the /./   
convention in my password file.  Anonymous users work fine, but real   
users have access to the entire system.  Where do I look?

Jim

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1996 14:16:33 -0500 (CDT)

> users have access to the entire system.  Where do I look?

There are three classes of users: anonymous, guest and real.  Anonymous
you know; guest is a hybrid of real and anonymous.  "real" logins by
definition have access to the whole filesystem (within file and directory
permission limits).  guest users get chroot'ed, and that must be what you
are trying to do. 

My guess is that you don't have some aspect of the guest stuff set up
correctly and that is why the chroot is not being done.  Get the howto
below and go over it carefully and that should clean it up for you.

   -- Michael

This is the location for the latest wu-ftpd.  You can't see the
directory contents, but get the file anyway.  It's there.

ftp://ftp.academ.com/pub/wu-ftpd/private/wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-11.tar.Z

WU-FTPD FAQ:  http://www.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html

guest howto:  ftp://ftp.fni.com/pub/wu-ftpd/guest-howto

There are additional security references in the above docs.