Subject: Thanks RE: Solaris 2.5 & wu-ftpd

From: [email-masked] (Joseph S. Areeda)
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 08:36:54 -0700

I want to thank the people who responded to my request for help and
summarize what I found.

1.  Solaris 2.5 needs many files in specific directories to handle the guest
    ftpd setup.  The Solaris man page for it's in.ftpd has a script for
    setting up the directories and files.

2.  After running that script you can still have the directories created
    with the wrong permissions (may take extraordinary stupidity to accopmplish)
    I found all directories (/pub,/etc,/usr,/usr/lib, /bin) needed 755 
    permissions.

3. in guest howto:  ftp://ftp.fni.com/pub/wu-ftpd/guest-howto is a command

   truss -f chroot ~ftp /bin/ls  (which produces lots of low level output)

or you can use
   
    chroot ~ftp /bin/ls  (which gives error messages)

    this was an invaluabale debugging tool,

thanks again
joe