Subject: Problems installing wu-ftpd-2.4 on Solaris 2.5

From: "Philip A. Prindeville" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 00:21:11 -0700 (PDT)

(I'm not on the list, so please respond directly...)

I'm trying to install wu-ftpd-2.5 on a SunOS 5.5 machine but not
having much luck at it.  I finally peppered getdatasock() with
fprintf()s after staring at the message:

ftp> dir
425 Can't create data socket (0.0.0.0,20): Bad file number.
ftp> 

for about 2.5 hours.  I traced it down to the very innocuous

	s = socket(AF_INET, SOCK_STREAM, 0);

the AF_INET should be a PF_INET, but they are defined to the
same thing so no matter.

I compiled via "gcc -fpcc-struct-return" since I didn't have
the stock Sun C compiler around.  There are no structs
involved in this call, however, so that can't have been it.

(on a tangent, I was getting warnings until I applied the
following patch:

*** support/authuser.c# Fri Apr  1 11:03:53 1994
--- support/authuser.c  Tue Jul 23 20:47:58 1996
***************
*** 4,9 ****
--- 4,10 ----

  #include "../src/config.h"

+ #include <netinet/in.h>
  #include <arpa/inet.h>
  #include <ctype.h>
  #include <errno.h>
***************
*** 10,16 ****
  #include <fcntl.h>
  #include <limits.h>
  #include <netdb.h>
- #include <netinet/in.h>
  #include <stdio.h>
  #include <sys/socket.h>
  #include <sys/stat.h>
--- 11,16 ----

but this is not involved in the bug).

Given a rather weak knowledge of Solaris, I looked at /etc/netconfig
and /devices/pseudo/clone@0:tcp and they all look fine.  I'm
really stumped.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Thanks,

-Philip

---

From: Sam Aruti <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 07:44:53 -0700 (PDT)

The problem is related to the devices in the ftp/dev directory. When
I experienced this problem it was related to a nosuid mount.

Hope that helps

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 10:36:00 -0700

Sounds like you need to make a /dev off your main ftp dir, ie
/home/ftp/dev.  The devs we have are "tcp", "ticotsord", "udp",
"zero".  Man mknod to find out how to add devs.