Subject: Accessing an FTP site from Internet Explorer

From: "Neil O'Brien" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 1996 10:19:39 -0400

Hi,

We have an intranet web site which accesses our ftp site, however IE =
v3.0 will not access it, mainly because it is called www.mydomain.com, =
Netscape has no trouble using ftp://www.mydomain.com but IE refuses to =
work with this and always claims the URL doesn't exist.

I aliased www.mydomain.com to be ftp.mydomain.com but that made no =
difference, I mention this because IE has no trouble with sites such as =
ftp://ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu/...., so I figured perhaps it needs the ftp =
protocol and ftp site name.

Anyone have any ideas?, I didn't build the ftp site and am not real =
familiar with it's setup, so should an alias work or will I need to =
rebuild the site to call itself ftp.mydomain.com? and if so can I do =
that easily without disrupting the stuff that is already on the site and =
the users of it.

thanks,

Neil O'Brien
Thomson Software Products

---

From: Jason Fesler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 1996 13:44:23 -0700

>work with this and always claims the URL doesn't exist.

IE has problems with FTP syntax, and makes a terrible FTP browser, from
what I have experienced.  It makes a great web browser, but a lousy FTP browser.

--
  Jason Fesler                            [email-masked]
  Admin, CalWeb Internet Services          [email-masked]
  I like my Usenet over ice, please.     http://www.gigo.com
  Disclaimer:  My /dev/null can beat your /dev/null any day.

---

From: "Kerr, James A." <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 96 11:15:00 EST

Switch to Netscape!  It's better anyway.
Jim

 ----------
From:  Jason Fesler[SMTP:[email-masked]]
Sent:  Friday, July 12, 1996 1:44 PM
To:  wu-ftpd
Subject:  Re: Accessing an FTP site from Internet Explorer

IE has problems with FTP syntax, and makes a terrible FTP browser, from
what I have experienced.  It makes a great web browser, but a lousy FTP
browser.

---

From: "Neil O'Brien" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 1996 12:19:49 -0400

Nonsense, 

Ignore Microsoft at your peril!, IE v3.0 is very good but I have no intention of restricting users to a single browser technology anyway thus it has to work from more than one, it already works with Netscape. I have accessed other FTP sites with IE it is just mine but I'm not sure what the problem is, I tried creating an actual ftp address but I still couldn't get it to work.

Any less flippant suggestions?

========================================================
Neil O'Brien				[email-masked]
Customer Support			(617) 221 7320
Thomson Software Products

They're the wrong trousers Grommit, and they've gone wrong!

----------
>From: 	Kerr, James A.[SMTP:[email-masked]]
Sent: 	Saturday, July 13, 1996 12:15 PM
To: 	wu-ftpd; Jason Fesler
Subject: 	RE: Accessing an FTP site from Internet Explorer

 ----------

---

From: "Neil O'Brien" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 18:00:49 -0400

As I was the one who originally started this, the problem is not the browser as I subsequently discovered rather how our network is set up, the problem is a name resolution which I have sort of solved (I can acces it just fine using an IP address). 

Incidentally, IE has far more features than Netscape and also uses the proposed HTML 3.0 extensions, Netscape invent things which are not part of HTML 2.0 or 3.0 consequently you are much more likely to end up with problems staying current with Netscape than Microsoft but that is a discussion for elsewhere. 

===========================================================
Neil O'Brien				[email-masked]
Customer Support			(617) 221 7320
Thomson Software Products

ps, why is there a problem saying Microsoft?, is it something like actors and Macbeth?

----------
>From: 	Vidiot[SMTP:[email-masked]]
Sent: 	Wednesday, July 17, 1996 10:44 AM
To: 	[email-masked]
Subject: 	Re: Re[2]: Accessing an FTP site from Internet Explorer

Logan Ratner ([email-masked]) said:

<As a developer, I would say tailor your web-site in compliance with
<*HTML STANDARDS.*  Anything else is a surefire way to alienate some part 
<of your audience.  See www.w3.org for aforementioned standards.

Unfortunately doing so would produce a site that would be pretty dull.
As I understand it, the HTML-3 specs are still under development, which means
that you would be stuck using HTML-2 specs.  LOTS of good stuff is missing
from HTML-2.  You would be missing the neat JavaScript features if you
stayed with HTML-2.

I say develop for Netscape 2, keeping in mind that some stuff doesn't work
for all viewers.  Microshit is playing catchup and they know it.  The
users of the MS browser will have to bitch at Microshit when they go somewhere
and can't see it correctly, or as this topic originally started, can't ftp.
The wu-ftpd software is not liable for MS broswer ftp problems.

<Note however that this is getting off-topic for a wu-ftpd list.

Sorry, you are correct.
-- 
System Administrator - Finnigan FT/MS - Madison WI. <URL:http://www.ftms.com/>
e-mail: [email-masked]
phone: (608) 273-8262  fax: (608) 273-8719  voice-mail: (800) 538-7067 ext 8451
Visit - <URL:http://www.cdsnet.net/vidiot/>  (Your link to Star Trek and UPN)