Subject: Re: ftpaccess/upload: Wildcard problem

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 1996 08:24:19 +0200

rh> 
rh> Hi,
rh> 
rh> 	I'm running 2.4(1) and am having a problem with the ftpaccess
rh> file.  Its in regards to the upload command.
rh> 
rh> 	I changed my incoming to 1733, and I have a program off my
rh> web server that allows people to create sub-dirs underneath it.  Ok,
rh> no biggie, it works.  HOWEVER, using the format of :
rh> 
rh> upload /home/ftp /incoming yes ftp ftp 0600 dirs
rh> 
rh> If they try to put it in /incoming its fine, but /incoming/news isn't.
rh> I tried changing the 3rd field to :
rh> 
rh> 	/incoming*
rh> 	/incoming/*
rh> 	/incoming/*/*
rh> 
rh> but it didn't get me anywhere.  Like I said, I can't put ALL the directories
rh> in the list since they are being created dynamically.  
rh> 
rh> What do I do?!
rh> 
rh> 				Tuc
rh> 

Strange. I'm running 2.4. My entry in ftpacces is:
upload /Ftp/ftp /upload		yes ftp ftp 0444 dirs
upload /Ftp/ftp /upload/*	yes ftp ftp 0444 dirs

and this works just fine up-to one level.

Ronald.

---

From: [email-masked] (Bill Campbell)
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 1996 06:28:14 -0700 (PDT)

.....
>upload /Ftp/ftp /upload/*	yes ftp ftp 0444 dirs
A security note here:  If you want to prevent people from using your
anon-ftp site as a drop-point for copyrighted software and other
illegal activity, then the permissions and ownerships in the incoming
directories should be changed to something that cannot be read by
anon-ftp when the transfer is complete!

We use anon-ftp quite a bit to allow users to upload their personal
web pages, and have something like this in ftpaccess:

upload  /ftp    *   no
upload  /ftp    /incoming           yes bin         nogroup 0640 dirs
upload  /ftp    /incoming/user1  yes user1          nogroup 0640 dirs
upload  /ftp    /incoming/user2  yes user2          nogroup 0640 dirs
....

On our systems nogroup is the group used by httpd so that anything
uploaded this way is readable by the web server, but not by anon-ftp.
This doesn't address the problem of subsequent downloads using a web
browser if the anon-ftp directory structure is also available directly
via browsers.

Bill
--
INTERNET:   [email-masked]  Bill Campbell; Celestial Systems, Inc.
UUCP:               camco!bill  PO Box 820; 2835 82nd Avenue S.E. S-100
FAX:            (206) 232-9186  Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820; (206) 236-1676
URL: http://www.celestial.com/

The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common.
Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts
to fit their views ... which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to
be one of the facts that needs altering.
                -- Doctor Who, "Face of Evil"

---

From: "Scott J. Ellentuch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 1996 09:58:14 -0400 (EDT)

> and this works just fine up-to one level.
	Is that stock 2.4? I can't get that to work on stock 2.4, but with
academ-beta-11 it does it with just the first line, however it then won't
change the permissions/owner/group properly.

			Tuc

-- 
Scott J. Ellentuch, The Telecom Security Group, Newburgh, NY

"Over the UUCP link, out the ethernet, through the media converter, down
the fiber, off a router, down the 56K, past my ISP...nothing but Net" -
with poetic license from Dave Owen of IBM

---

From: [email-masked] (Robert Lee)
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 1996 10:47:14 +0000

I have the following entry using stock 2.4 that lets the user create sub-directories 
and upload files without any problems.

upload /export/home/me /home yes

Robert

____________________ Begin Original Message ___________________________
Date: Mon Jul  8 10:49:35 -0500 1996
From: internet!valhalla.stormking.com!tuc (Scott J. Ellentuch)
Subject: Re: ftpaccess/upload: Wildcard problem
To: internet!wugate.wustl.edu!wu-ftpd
Content-Type: Text
Content-Length: 1393

			Tuc

---

From: Nina Burns-Pomeroy <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 1996 08:08:15 -0400 (EDT)

Hi folks.  As Haralds Jass has been patiently replying to my earlier
post regarding virtual domains, I have found that the patch he 
suggested blows up on me when I try to run patch <patchfile.  I've
even split up the patch file as it contains "patches" for extensions.c,
ftpd.c and some makefiles.  Still I get errors.  Does anyone out there
have a site for possibly the "authentic" patch, in case I'm missing some
thing..

TIA.

N

---

From: Benjamin Saller Bender <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 1996 10:59:16 -0400

Im new to the list so I don't know if this has been covered, but
is there a patch to prevent ftp access to virtual domains on a machine that 
don't have definitions in /etc/ftpaccess. Currently someone can ftp
to any domain that is arped for and they get / with anon access. Im guessing 
that someone has already fixed this?
	Im using beta11 
Thanks
-- 
Benjamin Saller Bender <[email-masked]>	http://loki.nyser.net/~case
NYSERNet, Inc. System Admin.                    mailto:[email-masked]

---

From: "Scott J. Ellentuch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 1996 12:05:17 -0400 (EDT)

> upload /export/home/me /home yes
	Huh?!  Thats pretty strange!  I'm using a pre-compiled version
with my Linux system, so maybe I need to re-compile it and try that.
Otherwise, whats happening?  Hows the game going, and when can I host it?!

			Tuc

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 1996 12:34:33 -0400 (EDT)

> have a site for possibly the "authentic" patch, in case I'm missing some

	grab beta11 out of ftp.academ.com (or is it .org?)...it includes
all the patches...

Marc G. Fournier                                  [email-masked]
Systems Administrator @ ki.net               [email-masked]

---

From: Nina Burns-Pomeroy <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 1996 14:08:54 -0400 (EDT)

That's what I thought, but I hear different stories from different people.
What's up with this?  Where's Mr. Koos?  ...

Who's the authority on this anyway?

N

---

From: [email-masked] (Koos van den Hout _U nix and we all_)
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 1996 11:50:19 +0200 (MET DST)

> What's up with this?  Where's Mr. Koos?  ...

I'm no authority, I just maintain the FAQ.. and editing the FAQ for a long
time makes me memorize a part of the questions (and answers).

> Who's the authority on this anyway?

Stan Barber from academ.com maintains the source tree at the moment.

                                         Grtx. KH

(That faq is at http://www.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html)

-- 
  Koos van den Hout,     Internetter, Unix freak, ISFJ and BBS SysOp at large
  [email-masked] (Home)        BBS Koos z'n Doos (+31-30-6036637 28k8)
  [email-masked] (Work)  <-- finger -l for PGPkey    (+31-30-6056619 14k4)
  http://www.hvu.nl/~koos (WWW)    Looking for a license plate with "RFC 822"
  Quando Omni Flunkis Moritati (If all else fails - play dead)     KH106-RIPE