Subject: Re: Ftp throuput rates for dial-up PPP modems.

From: Robert Bogar <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 96 10:05:26 -0800

>This is (quite possibly) a bug in the Solaris 2.5 networking code.
>Put
>
>        /usr/sbin/ndd -set /dev/tcp tcp_rexmit_interval_min 3000
>        /usr/sbin/ndd -set /dev/tcp tcp_rexmit_interval_initial 3000
>
>In one of your startus scripts and see if it helps.

What is the unit of measure for the "3000" setting?  I noticed the 
default is set to 500 on my SS20/sol2.5 and I did not see a comment for 
unit of mesure in the man pages.   Is this seconds; that seems to be too 
long of measure?

One of the issues when tuning web server performance on Suns is to use 
ndd to up the tcp_conn_req_max to higher than 32.  Could this help with 
FTP servers too?

Thanks-

+++++++++++++++++++++++|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|+++++++++++++++++++++++
Robert Bogar                                             [email-masked]
Claris Corp.                                               408.987.7526
IS/Network Computing Services                     http://www.claris.com   
                                  
              Postmaster, Internet Services Admin, General Geek. 
                        PGP key avilable by request.
+++++++++++++++++++++++|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|+++++++++++++++++++++++

---

From: James Fidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 1996 18:24:44 +0100 (BST)

> unit of mesure in the man pages.   Is this seconds; that seems to be too 

It's 100ths of one second.  I believe there's also a bug in the standard
Solaris 2.5 kernel which means it ignores the setting of
tcp_rexmit_interval_initial.

> ndd to up the tcp_conn_req_max to higher than 32.  Could this help with 

It might, but access profiles to FTP servers aren't the same as WWW
servers (lots more short requests in quick succession to a WWW server),
so the improvement won't be as measurable, I think.

James.
-- 
 "Yield to temptation --             | Work: [email-masked]
  it may not pass your way again"    | Play: [email-masked]
                                     |
        - Lazarus Long               |              James Fidell

---

From: "W. James Showalter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 1996 13:38:30 -0400 (EDT)

Robert,

That measurement is in milliseconds.

Jim

---

From: James Fidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 1996 18:52:06 +0100 (BST)

> tcp_rexmit_interval_initial.

Oops.  That's 1000ths of one second.

James.