Subject: Re: signal 11 (again)

From: Bart Verspagen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 1996 09:59:41 +0200

At 11:36 AM 7/25/96 -0400, you wrote:
>I have tried all of that stuff, recompiled about 8 times.  I am running 
                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I seem to have missed a couple of posts on this subject (saw your original
message, but never any of the "stuff" your are referring to), so I might be
out of order here, hope you will forgive me.

>OSF/1 3.2c, We were running this program on our old system (v1.3, hell of 
>an install), but as soon as we upgraded, we began to get these errors.  
>If anyone else out there is running OSF/1 3.2 and wu-ftpd, please tell me 
>how you did it.

I installed wu-ftp 2.4 on one of our OSF/1 V3.2 machines. After
installation, I had errors somewhat similar to yours: "real users" could not
connect, while anonymous users could connect. It turned out the problem was
with the encrypt routine for password checking. I have enhanced security set
on on the OSF system, and wu-ftp could not cope with that. Just for the
experiment, I switched to normal security, and then everything would work
fine. Naturally, I decided to not use wu-ftp :-), and keep enhanced security
on. But now I read that the newest (beta) of wu-ftp has additional code for
coping with enhanced security. I didn't yet bother to check it out.

I guess the bottomline is that I did get wu-ftp running on my OSF/1 V3.2,
and I still have the binaries and setup files. Which version of wu-ftp are
you running, and do you have enhanced security on? Do you have problems with
all users, or only with "real users"?

Best regards,
Bart Verspagen

MERIT
http://meritbbs.rulimburg.nl
ftp://meritbbs.rulimburg.nl

P.O. Box 616
6200 MD Maastricht
The Netherlands
tel (+31) (0)43 3883869
fax (+31) (0)43 3216518