Subject: no logging with 2.4.2b11

From: Harlan Harris <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 May 1996 16:07:15 -0500

Hello,

I apologize if this has been asked before, but it doesn't look like this list 
is archived....

I just upgraded from 2.4.2 wu-ftpd to 2.4.2b11. We require logging for various 
reasons, but I'm unable to get any log messages to be stored. Could someone 
help me out?

ckconfig says:

Checking _PATH_XFERLOG :: /usr/local/logs/xferlog
ok.

(I touched that file, to see if it needed to be created before wu-ftpd would 
open it, but that didn't fix it.)

The permissions are as follows:

-rw-rw-r--   1 root     sys            0 May 01 15:43 xferlog

The old version logged to /usr/adm/xferlog, but that file isn't getting the 
log messages either. 

Any suggestions on what I can do to fix this?

If it's relevant, I'm running under AIX 4.1.4, compiling with IBM C for AIX.

Thanks,

 -Harlan

\         Harlan Harris
 \        Wingra Technologies, Inc.
\ \  / /  http://www.wingra.com/
 \ \/ /   [email-masked]
\ \/\/    (608)238-4454

---

From: [email-masked] (Bill Campbell)
Date: Wed, 1 May 1996 15:03:41 -0700 (PDT)

>reasons, but I'm unable to get any log messages to be stored. Could someone 
The usual answer for this is that there isn't a -a on the command line
when calling from /etc/inetd.conf (I also had it fail because I call
ftpd from tcp_wrappers and had an extra ftpd on the command line after
the /usr/local/etc/ftpd.  Here's what we have that works:
ftp	stream tcp nowait NOLUID /usr/local/etc/tcpd /usr/local/etc/ftpd -a -l -L

Bill
--
INTERNET:   [email-masked]  Bill Campbell; Celestial Systems, Inc.
UUCP:               camco!bill  PO Box 820; 2835 82nd Avenue S.E. S-100
FAX:            (206) 232-9186  Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820; (206) 236-1676
URL: http://www.celestial.com/

Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
eliminates dreams, goals, and ideals and lets us get straight to the
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation.
		-- Johnny Hart

---

From: Shinanyaku <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 May 1996 20:08:43 -0400 (EDT)

Harlan Harris was heard saying ....
> Hello,

[ comments about xferlog not working ]

> Any suggestions on what I can do to fix this?

Don't have a clue. But I'm seeing the exact same thing as
you. However, I am running it on Linux 1.3.97, so at least I know it's
apparently not system related.

Shin!
__________________________________________________________________________
Another Mailing List personality of Nicholas J. Leon      [email-masked]
  Linux Kernel Database [http://www.binary9.net/nicholas/kerneldb.html]