Subject: Access Denied

From: [email-masked] (Junlei Zhang)
Date: Fri, 10 May 1996 09:45:53 -0400

Can anyone tell me what the "deny" specification in the ftpaccess file
actually does?  I set the deny to !nameservd which I thought would deny 
access from hosts that have an invalid IP address-to-name mapping in DNS.
I guess I want to know what is considered an invalid mapping.

Thanks.

      #=======================================================#
      #                                                       # 
      #                    Junlei Zhang                       # 
      #        Electronic Records and Network Services        #
      #  New York State Archives and Records Administration   #
      #            Email: [email-masked]              #
      #                                                       #
      #=======================================================#

---

From: "W. James Showalter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 May 1996 10:29:02 -0400 (EDT)

Junlei,

I believe the only way to tell if a connection originates from an DNS
served site is to do a reverse query of the IP address and get the
actual host name.  If you can't to a reverse query, then your name is 
not registered so access would be denied.

But this is just a guess on my part.

Jim