Subject: socksified ftp -> 'Illegal PORT command' from wu-ftpd

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 13 May 96 16:29:45 +0200

Item Subject: cc:Mail Text
     Hi all,
     
     I browsed the FAQ and various other resources but didn't find an
     answer. Maybe one of you can help me with this problem:
     
     As far as I understand it, we at HP use a circuit level gateway (the 
     SOCKS package) to reach hosts outside our closed subnet. This usually 
     works fine; however I do have problems with ftp servers that run the 
     wu-ftpd program.
     I frequently (not always!) get 'Illegal PORT command' messages when I 
     try to upload files to such servers.
     
     Do you have an explanation for this behaviour ? If so, would you share 
     it with me ;-) ? Is there a workaround/solution to the problem ?
     
     regards,
     Patrick
     
     Hewlett-Packard GmbH / Professional Services

---

From: [email-masked] (Koos van den Hout _U nix and we all_)
Date: Mon, 13 May 1996 16:58:26 +0200 (MET DST)

>      it with me ;-) ? Is there a workaround/solution to the problem ?

The wu-ftpd package checks for attempts to make it connect to ports < 1024.
This could be used as trick to hack systems that trust the host wu-ftpd runs
on.

A 'fix' would be to fix SOCKS to allways use ports > 1024 for ftp uploads.

                                                   Grtx. KH

-- 
  Koos van den Hout,     Internetter, Unix freak, ISFJ and BBS SysOp at large
  [email-masked] (Home)        BBS Koos z'n Doos (+31-30-6036637 28k8)
  [email-masked] (Work)  <-- finger -l for PGPkey    (+31-30-6056619 14k4)
  http://www.hvu.nl/~koos (WWW)    Looking for a license plate with "RFC 822"
  Quando Omni Flunkis Moritati (If all else fails - play dead)     KH106-RIPE