Subject: wu-ftpd-2.4

From: Michael Will <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 May 1996 15:48:55 -0400

Thanks for those whom responded.  I already check the http site :
http://www.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html.  However my problem is this error:

>ftpd always says "221 Server shutting down. Goodbye"

>The directive ftpshut in the ftpaccess file points to a file that exists
>at that >moment. Either change the directive or delete the file.

>Also, after you've used the ftpshut command, you'll need to remove the
>ftpshut file by >hand.

The answer doesn't really help me out...  Could some fill in more
details...  This is the first time ftpd was install and never worked.

Thanks, Michael

--
Michael Will                    |   Voice: (202) 767-0955
Naval Research Lab Code 8140    |   Fax:   (202) 404-8918
4555 Overlook Ave. SW           |   E-mail: [email-masked]
Washington, DC 20375

Key fingerprint =  F03F 87F2 4264 8540  AA19 92E9 6F03 D219

---

From: Bob Dougherty <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 May 1996 18:00:42 -0400

When you run the ftpshut command, one of the things it does is to create
a little file somewhere.  On my system it's /etc/shutmsg, but its name
is defined in the ftpaccess file.  Look for the line starting with
'shutdown'.

Every time the daemon starts, it looks for this shutmsg file.  If it finds
it, it displays the message in the file, then closes the session.

The moral of the story is that, once you run 'shutdown', no one
can establish a connection until you delete this file.

Hope this helps.

-- 
Bob Dougherty                            Internet: [email-masked]
Institute for Scientific Information     Voice: (215) 386-0100, ext. 1161
3501 Market St., Philadelphia PA 19104   Fax:   (215) 386-6362