Subject: Porblems compiling under AIX 4.1.3

From: Jose Roberto Bulcao <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 May 1996 21:51:33 -0300 (GRNLNDST)

Please,

	I had a problem compiling wu-ftp daemon 2.4 under AIX 4.1.3 and 
IBM xlC 3.1.2 C compiler. 
	After following the installation guidelines I tried to 
"./build aix", then the system returned the following error when was 
trying to make ftpd:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Making ftpd.
        yacc  ftpcmd.y
yacc: not found

make: 1254-004 The error code from the last command is 1.

Stop.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've never heard before about "yacc". Does anyone has had the same problem?
Any hints will be welcome !!!

	TIA and regards,

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jose Roberto Bulcao             |           Tel    : (021) 571-4325/268-0717
RioLink Internet                |           Tel/Fax: (021) 208-0696
O Seu Servidor!!                |           e-mail : [email-masked]
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
        ***** VISITE NOSSA HOME PAGE: HTTP://WWW.RIO.COM.BR *****
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Bob Dougherty <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 May 1996 22:20:40 -0400

> "./build aix", then the system returned the following error when was 
[snip,snip] 
> Any hints will be welcome !!!

yacc is a parser generator, and is part of the standard Unix software
development toolkit.  It's used to build little languages, such as the
command 'language' of an ftp daemon.  The specification for that language
is defined in ftpcmd.y.  yacc translates ftpcmd.y into low level code and
writes it to ftpcmd.c.

I'd guess that your sysadmin chose not to install yacc.  Maybe he hadn't
heard of it, either!  Ask him to find it and put it in /usr/bin.  If he
doesn't know how to do this, you could get gnu bison, the FSF version of
yacc.

Or maybe someone else with AIX 4.1.3 can email you their ftpcmd.c
(I'm not sure if there are plaform dependencies in the yacc-to-c
translation; otherwise I'd mail you my ftpcmd.c).

-- 
Bob Dougherty                            Internet: [email-masked]
Institute for Scientific Information     Voice: (215) 386-0100, ext. 1161
3501 Market St., Philadelphia PA 19104   Fax:   (215) 386-6362

---

From: "W. James Showalter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 May 1996 22:45:06 -0400 (EDT)

Jose,

YACC stands for "Yet Another Compiler Compiler" and is a program
which is used to generate parsers for a specified grammer.  The grammer is
coded using a special syntax.  The actual output from yacc is a C program
suitable for including with other C programs.  Although you could 
probably get a pre-yacc'd version of the ftpcmd.y file the safest thing to
do is to install a public domain version of yacc which is known as bison 
(no kidding!).  It is one of the "gnu" supported products and can be 
retrieved from any site which has a gnu directory.  I suggest you use archie
or some other search engine to locate the best site from which to 
retrieve it.

Once you retrieve and compile the source you can probably do one of two 
things.  Either rename it to yacc or modify the make files to call bison 
instead of yacc.  You may need to experiment to get it right.

Good luck,
Jim

---

From: Jose Roberto Bulcao <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 May 1996 21:31:58 -0300 (GRNLNDST)

First of all, I'd like to thank all of you that gave me info 
about what is "yacc" and what must be done to make it works.

	I've installed the native AIX 4.1.3 "yacc" code without problems 
instead of get the gnu code and it seems to be running ok.

	But, when I tryed to install it again, I had other problems. As 
i'm not a real C programmer, I think that there are some troubles about 
type declarations in ftpcmd.c source code. I've got the following Severe 
errors:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Making ftpd.
        cc -O -DDEBUG -I.. -I../support -L../support -c ftpd.c
     554  1500-010: (W) WARNING in main: Infinite loop.  Program may not stop.
        yacc  ftpcmd.y
        mv y.tab.c ftpcmd.c
        cc -O -DDEBUG -I.. -I../support -L../support -c ftpcmd.c
"ftpcmd.y", line 371.18: 1506-045 (S) Undeclared identifier cmdtab.
"ftpcmd.y", line 383.26: 1506-045 (S) Undeclared identifier sitetab.
"ftpcmd.y", line 1519.1: 1506-343 (S) Redeclaration of print_groups 
            differs from previous declaration on line 683 of "ftpcmd.y".

Stop.

	Does anybody knows what should I do in this case?

	TIA,

Jose Roberto Bulcao             |           Tel    : (021)571-4325/268-0717