Subject: Re: Web browser can't connect wu-ftp on a Sequent

From: [email-masked] (Sven Erik Sjoberg)
Date: Thu, 16 May 1996 19:33:37 -0700

I too ran into this problem. The fix appears to be to make the device /dev/tcp
in the chrooted ftp directory writable by the group that ftp belongs to. I 
am unsure at this point what the security issues concerned are.

If anyone has some more insight on that it would be appreciated.

>Hi,
>
>Has anyone experienced a problem where certain web browser can not
>connect to wu-ftp?  I am running wu-ftpd version 2.4 on a Sequent
>DYNIX/ptx V4.0.1 i386.  The only web browser that we know of to
>connect is the unix version of Mosaic.  The windows version of
>Netscape and Mosaic are get stuck after they have issued the PASV
>command.  The unix version of lynx and Netscape seem to passing
>commands to wu-ftp, but no results are ever returned.  Our anonymous
>ftp server is located at "aps.org".  Thanks in advance for any assistance.
>
>Jim Egan
>

---

From: Doug Dalton <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 May 1996 10:13:14 -0400 (EDT)

I can connect without a problem if I dont use the ftpaccess file, but 
when I use in.ftpd -a I get the following response:

Connected to posh.internext.com.
220 posh FTP server (Version wu-2.4.2-academ[BETA-11](1) Tue May 14 
13:45:46 EDT
 1996) ready.
Name (posh:ddalton): ftp
421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection
Login failed.

I am using the example ftpaccess file (not the .heavy). 

Why does it work fine w/o using the ftpaccess file? How do I correct  this?

R/Doug
                           \l/
                          (O O)
o---------------------ooO--(_)--Ooo----------------------------o
I Doug Dalton - Internet Systems Engineer                      I 
I I-NExT - Making The Net Work                                 I
I http://www.internext.com/dougs                               I
o--------------------------------------------------------------o