Subject: Re: wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-11 on IRIX 6.2

From: [email-masked] (Andrew Stone)
Date: Thu, 23 May 1996 16:47:05 +0000

>Any user can delete any file in a directory that is owned by that user.
>Delete priviledge requires only write priviledges in the directory,
>regardless of who owns the file.  You will find that they cannot write to
>the dot files owned by root, or rename or copy them, but they can delete
>them because they own the directory the files live in.
>

Thanks for the advice. I tried what you suggested, but it seems that they
are also able to rename the directory I used. For the moment I have turned
off rename using ftpaccess, but this is not the best way to go. Do you have
any more ideas?

Many thanks
Andrew

----------
I don't have a signature

---

From: Mike Batchelor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 May 1996 12:02:56 -0400 (EDT)

> off rename using ftpaccess, but this is not the best way to go. Do you have

Oh yeah, they would be able to rename it, wouldn't they?  That only requires
write permission on the parent directory.

The only way to keep it from being tampered with is to put it someplace
else. Or to make their home directory mode 1777 (sticky bit), but then
anybody can put anything in their home directory, and the user can't do a
thing about it.  Not good.

-- 
  + + +      %%%%% Mike Batchelor % [email-masked] %%%%% A Division
 Capitol.Net %%%%%%%%%%% 301-306-9090 % V.34/ISDN %%%%%%%%%%%    of
     + + +   %% Serving Washington DC, No.VA, and Maryland %%   Criticom, Inc.