Subject: Virtual ftp home

From: Domenico Dato <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 May 1996 12:28:08 +0100 (GMT+0100)

Hi,

i have a problem setting up the home directory for a couple of virtual
ftp servers i'm going to activate.

It seems that i *must* put the ftp homes necessarily in /home otherwise
nothing works.

If in the passwd i have:

ftp2:*:404:2::/home/ftp2:/bin/bash

and the home is in /home/ftp2 , everything works.

If i change passwd entry to:

ftp2:*:404:3::/usr/local/etc/apache/web-sites/www.italsoft.com/ftp2:/bin/bash

and i make the home in /usr/local/etc/apache/web-sites/www.italsoft.com/ftp2
the server refuses every connection writing that the service is not available.

Any clue ?

Domenico

--
Domenico Dato                        | Internet: [email-masked]
Computer Science, University of Pisa |               [email-masked]
Voice/Modem/Fax (39) 50 543615       |               [email-masked]

---

From: "Chris Hammond <Sys Admin>" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 May 1996 08:17:12 -0700 (PDT)

You might want to try using a virtual root name that does not have a dot
in the name.  For example, try foo instead of foo.com; this worked for me.

Chris Hammond, Unix Systems Administrator

[email-masked]
http://www.pcisys.net/~cosmo
----