Subject: Guest fpt problems.

From: [email-masked] (Nelson C. L. Pedrozo)
Date: Sun, 12 May 1996 23:13:59 -0300

Hi,

  I'm trying to set up a guest ftp account that behaves in the following 
manner:

   chroot to a specified directory for the guest account.
   does not let user "cd .." or "cd /" from the "new" root directory.

  I tried to set up this guest account in the same manner as the anonymous
ftp. In other words, I created the user account, set up a home directory,
created the dev, bin, usr/bin, usr/lib, etc and pub directories in this home
directory and put the appropriate files in them (following the anonymous ftp
model).
  Well, seems almost everything works fine, except for one thing:

   When I log in as this "user" and type PWD, I get back "/home/user" instead
of just "/". This means that the user can CD .. and CD / from this subdirectory
and go lower in the directory hierarchy. This is bad.

  I've seen ftp's for this type of guest accounts work, and chroot people to
a certain directory (an unique directory for each guest) and not let them leave
their tree.

  If anyone has *any* insight on how can I set this up right, please reply
to my email address! It is [email-masked]

  Many thanks!

				Nelson C. L. Pedrozo