Subject: Something wrong with Mac TCP/IP?

From: Chin Fang <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 May 1996 22:57:57 +1700 (PDT)

Early on, I sent out a question about the problem that a user has been
having with her Mac.  After dinner, I recall another one, also a Mac user.

I know this list is not for discussing Mac stuff, however, I think it's
related.  Both Mac users use pretty quick 128kbps ISDN dial up connection
to the Internet.  They both told me that between them and their connectivity
provider, they had no problems whatsoever, and uploading/downloading
were fast and smooth.  But, when they connect to my site, running supposely
the latest wu-ftp 2.4.2 beta{10|11}, they run into troubles.  The first one
gets frequent disconnect (time out caused by MTU mismatch?) and the second
always tells me that the ftp throughput is poor.  

I know Solaris 2.5 is not stellar in supporting slow (well, anything less
than T1 is slow) connections.  However, I have tried all tricks in the
book for accomodating such links. Not much else I can do here anymore.

Between UNIX machines, I consistently get over 100 Kbytes/second throughput
when ftping from sites with high speed links.  Never have observed any 
problems.  OK, so what is this?  Is it because MacOS's TCP/IP implementation
really that lousy?  What can I do to accomodate such eratz but popular 
software?

Thanks 

Chin Fang
[email-masked]