Subject: restricting access to a directory one up from users home

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 23 May 1996 15:44:50 GMT

hello...

I would like to restrict are clients to a directory one up from their
home directory.  With a directory structure something like this:

#us
/home/trusted_user
#clients
/home/cia/spy1
/home/cia/spy2
/home/cia/spy3
/home/kgb/spy4
/home/kgb/spy5
/home/kgb/spy6

I would like clients spy1, spy2, and spy3 to be able to ftp into thier
respective home directorys but be chroot() 'ed to their company
directory (cia).  The same goes for company kgb and its users spy4,
spy5, and spy6. They ftp in to change their web stuff, but i don't
want spy6 (probably a summer intern) to be able to snoop around in our
system or in the cia company's  stuff. I don't want to restrict them
to their own home directory because spy1 might be responsible for the
web page of spy2 also.  

How are the access permissions set up for this?

(any hints on where to get info on doing the same for telnet would
help too)

thanks in advance

Chris McCrory
[email-masked]

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 May 1996 12:04:16 -0500 (CDT)

> directory (cia).  The same goes for company kgb and its users spy4,

Set /home/cia/./spy[123] as the path for each respective spy in their 
/etc/passwd account.  Set each account up for guest ftp; the /./ 
indicates where the chroot() will be done.

   -- Michael