Subject: syslogging information

From: [email-masked] (Malisch, Susan)
Date: Thu, 16 May 1996 13:33:25 -0700

My wuftp server is working, but I am having difficulty getting the syslog 
information to be logged to a file.  I am running on AIX 3.2.5 and have the 
following information specified:

in /etc/inetd.conf:

ftp         stream      tcp     nowait  root    /usr/local/etc/ftpd     ftpd 
 -l -d

in /etc/syslog.conf:

*.info          /var/adm/syslog.ftp

However, the /var/adm/syslog.ftp file is never created and nothing ever 
logged.  Any ideas?

Thanks,
Susan Malisch
[email-masked]

---

From: "Brad Burdick [UUcom]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 May 1996 17:03:00 -0400 (EDT)

> However, the /var/adm/syslog.ftp file is never created and nothing ever 

susan,

not sure about aix, but syslogd normally needs a sigHUP to tell it to reread
its config file and often requires that the log file exist.

-brad
-- 
Brad Burdick                                      [email-masked]
Internet Multicasting Service, NPB, Suite 1155, Washington, DC 20045
                Under contract from UUcom, Inc.

---

From: "W. James Showalter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 May 1996 17:28:21 -0400 (EDT)

Susan,

I believe that syslogd will not create the files so they must be created
manually.  And make sure the delimeters for syslog.conf are tabs and 
not spaces.  And then signal the syslogd to reread the syslog.conf file. 
I am not certain what else to recommend. 

Jim