Subject: ls not working

From: [email-masked] (Koos van den Hout _U nix and we all_)
Date: Fri, 31 May 1996 09:08:36 +0200 (MET DST)

Quoting Desney Tan, who wrote :

>   I have just installed wu-ftpd on a Solaris 2.5 system... Having problems
> with 'ls'.... When an anonymous user logs in, and types 'ls' all he/she
> gets is the firstletter of each of the dirs/files on a new line... The
> case is reversed when a real user logs in and types 'ls'... Instead, the
> listing is made with the first two letters removed from each of the
> names... Does anyone know why this would happen? I have successfully
> installed it on a SunOS system and have done everything pretty much the
> same...

That's a new variant of 'dir not working' ;-)

Anyway, by doing 'pretty much the same' you ran into Sun's .. er.. mixing
of bsd and sysV compatibility.

What you get at the moment by calling 'cc' is probably /usr/ucb/cc. Which
is a script that puts all ucb compatibility before the 'standard' includes.
This mixes the dir.h (or dirent.h) of one version with the readdir calls
from another version.

Solution : put /usr/ccs/bin in your path BEFORE /usr/ucb, and make sure
/usr/ccs/bin/cc points to the installed C compiler (/opt/SUNWSpro .../cc).

                                             Grtx. KH

-- 
  Koos van den Hout,     Internetter, Unix freak, ISFJ and BBS SysOp at large
  [email-masked] (Home)        BBS Koos z'n Doos (+31-30-6036637 28k8)
  [email-masked] (Work)  <-- finger -l for PGPkey    (+31-30-6056619 14k4)
  http://www.hvu.nl/~koos (WWW)    Looking for a license plate with "RFC 822"
  Quando Omni Flunkis Moritati (If all else fails - play dead)     KH106-RIPE