Subject: Tar/Compress options don't work

From: Patrick McCormick <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 May 96 22:46:27 EDT

I have wu-ftpd 2.4, and the tar/compress options do not work.

With this directory entry:

-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     sys       280700 Dec  9  1994 TIFF6.ps.Z

I type:

ftp> get TIFF6.ps

and the computer says:

200 PORT command successful.
550 TIFF6.ps: No such file OR directory.

The relevant portions of my ftpaccess/ftpconversions follow:

--------------------
class   local   real,guest,anonymous *.domain 0.0.0.0
class   remote  real,guest,anonymous *

limit   local    50   Any              /etc/msgs/msg.dead
limit   remote   50   Any              /etc/msgs/msg.dead

compress	yes 		local remote
tar 		yes 		local remote
-------------------
 :.Z::         :/bin/compress -d -c %s:T_REG|T_ASCII:O_UNCOMPRESS:UNCOMPRESS
 :  :  :.Z     :/bin/compress -c %s:T_REG:O_COMPRESS:COMPRESS
-------------------

Also, I have this bin directory:

d--x--x--x   3 root     bin         1024 May  8 22:10 bin

which includes:

---x--x--x   1 root     bin        24576 Apr 24 20:10 compress
drwxr-xr-x   2 root     bin           24 Apr 24 20:10 ftp-exec
---x--x--x   1 root     bin       172032 Apr 24 20:10 ls

Any tips would be appreciated.

Pat McCormick
Lead Project Manager
International Consortium for Medical Imaging Technology

---

From: Vincent Cojot <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 May 1996 23:31:34 -0400 (EDT)

Hi pat,

There is something I could suggest: with only 24KB your "compress" binary 
could be a shared binary. If that's the case, then you need to have the 
right libs in your ~ftp/lib directory. Example:

palanthas:~/scripts# ldd ~ftp/bin/compress 
        libc.so.4 (DLL Jump 4.6pl27) => /lib/libc.so.4.6.27

palanthas:~/scripts# ls -l ~ftp/lib 
total 447
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     wheel          17 Sep 25  1995 ld-linux.so.1 -> 
ld-linux.so.1.6.5*
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     wheel       19543 Sep 25  1995 ld-linux.so.1.6.5*
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     wheel       20484 Sep 16  1995 ld.so*
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     wheel          14 Mar 26 00:02 libc.so.4 -> 
libc.so.4.6.27*
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     wheel      634880 Sep 14  1995 libc.so.4.6.27*

(that was under Linux with wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-11).

This could or could not fix your problem, but if everything else works 
fine, then it's something I'd check. You may also want to check if 
get dir.tar works or does not work. I hope this helps a little.
 
> International Consortium for Medical Imaging Technology

,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,
Vincent S. Cojot, Computer Engineering.
Ecole Polytechnique de Montreal, Comite Micro-Informatique.
[email-masked], [email-masked]

They cannot scare me with their empty spaces
Between stars - on stars where no human race is
I have it in me so much nearer home
To scare myself with my own desert places.       - Robert Frost

---

From: Patrick McCormick <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 May 96 0:09:38 EDT

> right libs in your ~ftp/lib directory. Example:

I think you may be right about the shared library part. I am working
under HPUX 9.03, an important fact I neglected to mention. The
compress binary has references to dld.sl, but I can't find any
equivalent program to ldd on HPUX.

Here is the rub, though; I had this working before, albeit with some
problems, but the programs were at least executed.  Same binaries and
everything. The problem then was something else, but at least the FTP
server tried to _start_ compress. It did the whole "opening pipe from
/bin/compress" bit. With no error messages now, I am almost positive
that the FTP server is not even attempting to run compress, but just
failing when it is supposed to be resolving the filename. (I checked
my ftpdlog and syslog.) When I test it, I get:

ftp> get welcome.msg.Z
200 PORT command successful.
550 welcome.msg.Z: No such file OR directory.

and:

ftp> get pub.tar
200 PORT command successful.
550 pub.tar: No such file OR directory.

Why isn't it even TRYING?

Pat McCormick
Lead Project Manager