Subject: What exactly is a...

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 96 16:52:38 PST

Passive connection, and whats a recommended fix?

I have been getting a few of these as complaints

FATAL ERROR 500

Can´t Access Document ftp://ftp.westwood.com/pub/cc1/updates/cc120g.zip

Reason: FTP-server replies: Can´t open passive connection : Permission 
Denied.

Thanks!
Milo Ballan

---

From: [email-masked] (sarao)
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1996 20:37:50 -0500

Milo,

        You should be talking about a PASV connection. This is probably because 
of your firewall. What happened to us is that FTP opens a connection using
other than the standard ports and your firewall is expecting FTP on port
"21" (I think). Anything else it just drops the packet. Soe you have to
enable your firewall to all PASV connections. Please check with your
firewall company on this. Unless you really know what you're doing, you
could be opening a large can o' worms...

                                                Robert

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 96 13:57:18 PST

Ok if I understand that correctly , hypotheticly, if I am getting 
     these messages from users and we arn't running a firewall then it 
     would be a problem with the firewall on the users side, not our??
     
     Thanks
     Milo

______________________________ Reply Separator _________________________________
Subject: Re: What exactly is a...
Author:  [email-masked] at ww-internet
Date:    3/28/96 6:26 PM

Milo,
     
        You should be talking about a PASV connection. This is probably=
 because=20
     
                                                Robert

>Can=B4t Access Document ftp://ftp.westwood.com/pub/cc1/updates/cc120g.zip 
>
>Reason: FTP-server replies: Can=B4t open passive connection : Permission=20 
>Denied.
>
>
>Thanks!
>Milo Ballan
>
>