Subject: ftp

From: Dan Pinkard <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 1996 01:02:08 -0600 (CST)

I am trying to get wuftpd working on solaris 2.4.. Its 2.4 wih the virtual
hosts patches using gcc 2.5.6 ...  We only recieve this error message when
trying to connect as anonymous; all other users are fine. My supposition
is that it simply cannot figure out what host is calling it. If you have
any ideas as to why or can point me towards more informatin, I would
greatly appreciate it. 

thanks.. d.p.

session transcript follows:

220 www FTP server (Version wu-2.4(3) Sun Mar 10 16:37:37 CST 1996) ready.
Name (ftp:mike): anonymous
331 Guest login ok, send your complete e-mail address as password.
Password:
230 Guest login ok, access restrictions apply.
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
ftp> get motd
local: motd remote: motd
200 PORT command successful.
425 Can't create data socket (0.0.0.0,20): Bad file number.
ftp> ls
200 PORT command successful.
425 Can't create data socket (0.0.0.0,20): Bad file number.
ftp> quit
221 Goodbye.

---

From: Dan Pinkard <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 1996 15:09:51 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 11 Mar 1996, Koos van den Hout _U nix and we all_ wrote:

> >From the world-famous wu-ftpd-faq (which also answers the question where
> to get the updated versions) :

Been there; tried that. Weive tried the static libraries with no luck. 
The problem is not only with ls but with get and put, etc,etc - and ONLY 
as anonymous. Normal users are fine. Are there any other place to look or 
ideas to follow.

d.p.

>        First, consider if you can't relink them staticly so the shared
>        libraries aren't needed. You can get the GNU fileutils from :
>        <URL:ftp://prep.ai.mit.edu/pub/pub/gnu/fileutils-3.12.tar.gz>   
>        (version numbers may vary).

+----------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Dan Pinkard                       Washington University in St. Louis |
| [email-masked]                KWUR 90.3fm  Engineer              |    
| http://www.cec.wustl.edu/~dpp1/   Inlink Engineer / Tech Support     |
|        "I know the truth because I know the source code."            |
+----------------------------------------------------------------------+

---

From: "Christopher X. Candreva" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 1996 16:25:12 -0500 (EST)

I've been using the Virtual FTP versino of wu-ftp for a while now. 
However, it would be usefull if the xfer logs for virtual sites were 
either in different files, or put the ip address of the virtual server in 
the log, so that accesses could be told apart.

I prefer different files.

Is anyone working on this ? 

-Chris

==========================================================
Chris Candreva  -- [email-masked] -- (914) 967-7816
WestNet Internet Services of Westchester
http://www.westnet.com/

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 1996 16:44:23 -0500 (EST)

> Is anyone working on this ? 
	Finished long ago...and it the location of the patches was
reposted only this past week...

	ftp://ftp.ki.net/pub/users/scrappy/wu-ftpd.diffs.gz

	This is against 2.4.2beta9

	If you need patches from stock 2.4, as gotten from wuarchive,
check out:

	http://www.ki.net/rtfm/softdocs/wu-ftpd

Marc G. Fournier | POP Mail  Telnet Acct  DNS Hosting
System           |  WWW Services   Database Services  | Knowledge, 
  Administrator  |                                    | Information and
 [email-masked]  |      WWW: http://www.ki.net        | Communications, Inc

---

From: [email-masked] (Koos van den Hout _U nix and we all_)
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 1996 17:03:54 +0100 (MET)

7. Programs (ls, gzip, tar) work for real users, not for anonymous
       users, giving errors like 425 Can't create data socket
       (0.0.0.0,20): Bad file number or simply no output.

       For different operating systems, different libraries and/or
       devices are needed. You can test if things are running correctly
       by doing a chroot to the ftp homedir. To test if /bin/ls is   
       working in the ~ftp dir, type :
              
       chroot ~ftp /bin/ls

         1. Solaris
            Solaris needs ~ftp/dev/tcp and ~ftp/dev/zero and the
            libraries. Check the man-page for your Solaris version for
            exact details. Use the command truss to find out which
            libraries a program uses. Also, the ~ftp/etc/group file is
            needed for ls to work, without it it will just dump core. 
            Follow the same rules as for /etc/passwd : not too much 
            information in that file, like group passwords (if you have
            those).
   
            Problem with /etc/group found by Eric ([email-masked]).
       
                                            Grtx. KH

-- 
  **  FAQ on current wu-ftpd at http://www.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html  **
  Koos van den Hout,     Internetter, Unix freak, ISFJ and BBS SysOp at large
  [email-masked] (Home)        BBS Koos z'n Doos (+31-30-6036637 28k8)
  [email-masked] (Work)  <-- finger -l for PGPkey    (+31-30-6056619 14k4)
  http://www.hvu.nl/~koos (WWW)    Looking for a license plate with "RFC 822"
  We are root. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile. Clickety Click

---

From: Chin Fang <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 1996 20:58:29 -0800 (PST)

Dear Chris,

I worked on the 2nd approach for a while, even thou I put it aside for
now after Marc told me about his patches.  He is right in that using
separate files, existing log analyzers work out of box.  

Basically, what I wanted to do is to capature the virtual host name
in the ftpd.c, and then slightly modify the sprintf in the log msg
writing portion after Hobbit' comment.   

For some reason, it didn't work :(  I will look into this later on.
For now, I am very happy finally I have a way to tell which virtual
ftp server carries most the traffic.  Good for accounting.

You may wish to look into the approach I mentioned above.  After you
are done with it, pairing together with gnu grep and any one of the
standard log analyzer, it's not too bad.

I think single file plus a rotation policy is also allright too.

Chin Fang
[email-masked]

=========================================================================