Subject: Couple of questions

From: "W. James Showalter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 1996 14:36:42 -0500 (EST)

I have the following questions.  My platform is SPARC 5 running SunOS 4.1.4.
I had no compilation problems and practically everything works as advertised.

1) What is the secret to getting the automatic tar and compress to work?
I have tried everything I can think of regarding the ftpaccess file.  
Specifically, the three entries I thought were key are:

	class all real,anonymous,guest *
		.
		.
	compress	yes	all
	tar		yes 	all

The appropriate executables are in /usr/local/bin and that is reflected 
in the ftpconversions file.  And I am talking about a real user, not a guest
or anonymous user.  Also, ckconfig reported ok and other features of 
ftpaccess work appropriately.

2.  The ftpconversions manual page is somewhat lacking.  For example, I
had to look at the code to find out what T_REG and O_COMPRESS etc really
did.  And the magic cookie of %s in the command field of the
ftpconversions file is not explained in the ftpconversions manual (I
assume it is for an sprintf type of call).  Is there some better
documentation on this? 

3. Some wuftpd's I have connected to have different version numbers. 
Mine is 2.4(3).  Others I have seen are 2.4(5) and 2.4(8).  Where can I
get the most current sources. 

4.  And finally, is there an FAQ which I can access?

Many thanks,
Jim

---

From: [email-masked] (Koos van den Hout _U nix and we all_)
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 1996 22:58:44 +0100 (MET)

> ftpaccess work appropriately.

For usage by anonymous users make sure the binaries and libs and devices are
available under ~ftp.

For real users : there might be typos in the stock ftpconversions, since
some of the flags of some tar programs are a bit different. Check this.

> 4.  And finally, is there an FAQ which I can access?

Yes, there is :

http://www.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html

Which answers question #3 too.

                                           Grtx. KH

-- 
  **  FAQ on current wu-ftpd at http://www.hvu.nl/~koos/wu-ftpd-faq.html  **
  Koos van den Hout,     Internetter, Unix freak, ISFJ and BBS SysOp at large
  [email-masked] (Home)        BBS Koos z'n Doos (+31-30-6036637 28k8)
  [email-masked] (Work)  <-- finger -l for PGPkey    (+31-30-6056619 14k4)
  http://www.hvu.nl/~koos (WWW)    Looking for a license plate with "RFC 822"
  We are root. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile. Clickety Click