Subject: Re: Academ version of wu-ftpd 2.4 Release 2 Beta 10 available for testing

From: VPM System News <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 1996 14:45:06 -0800

At 10:08 PM 3/15/96 -0600, you wrote:

>BETA 10 is now available. It has been tested on the following systems:

[snip]

>Modified support for virtual domains as suggested by Marc G. Fournier
><[email-masked]>. Modified the VIRTUAL.FTP.SUPPPORT support file and the
>man pages to reflect this change.
>
>Added a number of small changes suggested by a patch supplied by
>Marc G. Fournier <[email-masked]> for FreeBSD.

I'd like to make a suggestion that would be very helpful to me and I think
alot of other ISP's.

I currently only allow FTP access to my accounts in order to allow them to
update their files. I do not provide Telnet.  I  like the Virtual FTP
because I saw it as a way to allow my accounts who have domain names, i.e.
abc.com, to setup anon FTP directories within their directory structure.
The only problem is that if they login using their real userid's, they get
set to the anon FTP directory that an anon ftp user would see.  

Is there a way you can modify the code to check to see if the user logging
in is ftp/anonymous, and if not, check for the existence of a valid login id
in the /etc/passwd file and user the real user's HOME directory.

In other words, sai my userid is 'abc' and I have a domain called abd.com.
I would have setup abc's HOME directory as follows in the /etc/passwd file
as well as the master.passwd file:

     abc:%TH(&FG:1001:30::ABC Account:/home/abc/./:/bin/csh

With this, and without using the Virtual FTP, the user would login as abc
and get dumped into /home/abc with this directory becoming their root directory.
This is how it works without the Virtual FTP set up.  This user can now ftp
to ftp.abc.com, enter in abc as the userid and go to /home/abc and update
their files with their root directory actually being /home/abc..

Now, assume that abc.com wants to allow anon ftp to their site.  So we setup
the ftpaccess file to allow virtual ftp.  Now, when abc ftp's to ftp.abc.com
and enters in the userid of 'abc', they are now placed in the root directory
setup through ftpaccess, just like anon ftp would be.  

What I would like to see is a check to see if the user logging in is a valid
user on the system and if so, placed in their HOME directory so that their
HOME directory is their new root and anon ftp placed in the root directory
setup in ftpaccess for virtual ftp.  This would be a valuable addition to
the already much improved wu-ftpd. 

Thanks,
Mark
==========================================================================
 Mark Stout    |  The Village Potpourri Mall: http://www.vpm.com/
---------------+----------------------------------------------------------
            VPM Enterprises; P.O.Box 6427; Folsom, CA 95763-6427
        Secured Internet Sales, Marketing and Advertising Specialist
==========================================================================