Subject: Another SITE EXEC question

From: Pat Wilson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 1996 17:51:12 +22306256

I'd written:
	I'm trying to work out a system whereby our non-anonymous users can find
	out their disk quotas from within ftp (they don't have telnet access).
	SITE EXEC seemed as though it would be a good way to do this, and I've
	written a small C socket client that contacts a server daemon running on
	the machine (in the "real" filesystem, not the chroot'd one) that grabs the
	user's UID, runs the quota command, and passes back the result.

	This client and server work fine if I'm not trying to SITE EXEC them from
	within ftp, but I can't seem to get the SITE EXEC stuff to work:

		ftp> site exec quota
		200-quota
		200  (end of 'quota')

	I've tried all manner of paths to get there...

	Any ideas?  I've looked around for hints on SITE EXEC, but haven't found
	any.

The first problem was fixed by RTFReadme - since this was non-anonymous
ftp, I needed to have the command in /bin/ftp-exec (relative to the top of
the chroot'd user tree) <duh>.  This at least got the execuatable seen.

However, it still doesn't work.  I'm using getpwuid() to try to figure out
which user is running the command - this doesn't appear to be working, and,
in any case, I'm not getting output the client program sends.

How _does_ SITE EXEC work?  Is there something obvious I'm missing?

Thanks.

Pat Wilson
[email-masked]