Subject: [2.4.2-BETA9] Illegal seek (ESPIPE)

From: Jos Vos <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 1996 11:01:22 +0100

Hello,

Using wu-ftpd 2.4.2-BETA9, I frequently get the following error message:

	150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for /bin/tar.
====>	426 Data connection: Illegal seek.
	local: docs.tar.gz remote: docs.tar.gz
	1409924 bytes received in 14 seconds (98 Kbytes/s)

Then the bytecount is also wrong: it's slightly less than the correct
size of the gzipped tarfile.  And it always happens when the file is
nearly finished, although at different places just before the end.

This only seems to happen when getting tar'ed directories in combination
with gzip.  I guess ftpd gets an ESPIPE errno (Illegal seek), which means
it calls lseek(2) on a pipe, socket or FIFO.

I'm using Linux 1.3.75/76, gcc 2.7.2, libc-5.2.18.

Is this a known problem?  Is there a patch?

--
--    Jos Vos <[email-masked]>
--    X/OS Experts in Open Systems BV   |   Phone: +31 20 6938364
--    Amsterdam, The Netherlands        |     Fax: +31 20 6948204