Subject: Interruped transfers

From: Andrew Bennett <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 22:30:22 -0800 (PST)

Well, now I did it.

I'd appreciate if other users/admins could attempt to duplicate my results
just to see how valid they are.

Symptoms: interrupted transfers

Host environment: BSDI 2.0, wu-ftpd academ beta 9, Vidiot's "hung connection"
patch applied.

Client environments: SunOS 4.1.3 running command line ftp
   Windows NT 3.51 with ws_ftp 951229 32 bit
   another user said he had problems with ws_ftp 32bit 9508??, unknown OS.

Line quality: SunOS T1; Win NT 28.8 PPP.  I tested Win NT myself - line 
was relatively responsive and lag-free.  Not sure about other cases I've
had.

Files transferred: 60 files comprising 1.9mb of disk space.  Some were text
files; some .zip files, some binary files.  Most in the 10k-30k range,
some 100k, largest 600k, smallest 134 bytes.

I fired up ws_ftp at home, ftp'd to my machine, created a directory on
the host, selected all 60 files on my machine, and hit the upload button.

Sometimes after the transmission of a file, there is an extreme delay.
Killing the ftp client during this delay (1-5 minutes observed) leaves
a hung process in a STOR state (as reported by ftpwho).  Occasionally
this recovers and proceeds to the next file.  I've tried uploading the
60 files numerous times (removing them from the host before transfer),
and I can't get consistent results.  Usually it blows up somewhere along
the way.

My current transfer is in a hung state right now.  ws_ftp's status window
indicated the transfer suceeded, reporting the correct number of bytes 
for this file, and a decent transmission speed of 6.86KBps.  ws_ftp's
log has not been updated to reflect this upload yet.  The ftp process
on the host is still STOR'ing, as I said above.  I've been waiting for
about 20 minutes now.

No firewalls involved.  I was logged in as myself, not as 'anonymous'.
The host had a loadavg of .19 (good), and had gobs (35MB) of free RAM
as shown by 'top'.

Can someone else attempt to transfer a mess of files to see if they can
duplicate anything with regards to hung connections and report back?
I'd be most grateful.

It might be a good idea to stress-test wu-ftpd like this over and over 
and over to see if it can fail.  I noticed this hanging connection 
problem when I started using the Academ beta's.  I think the patches 
posted to the list are a band-aid for the real problem, which oughta be
fixed.

Any thoughts?  Before testing, it might be a good idea to turn on logging 
in your ftp client, if that's possible.

Andrew
-- 

  Andrew Bennett
  [email-masked], [email-masked]
  http://taz.hyperreal.com/~abennett/

---

From: [email-masked] (Stan Barber)
Date: 20 Mar 1996 08:56:55 GMT

>in your ftp client, if that's possible.

It's even a better idea to test with the lastest beta. It has one other
patch in it that may help with this. The test you ran was on old code.

-- 
Stan   | Academ Consulting Services        |internet: [email-masked]
Olan   | For more info on academ, see this |uucp: {mcsun|amdahl}!academ!sob
Barber | URL- http://www.academ.com/academ |Opinions expressed are only mine.