Subject: Re: system 7.5 update 2.0 (fwd)

From: "Homer W. Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 1996 19:08:45 -0500 (EST)

People talking about chronic hangs uploading to ftpd, a serious
problem on our system.  Some of it is client side software as
the below discussion indicates.

    light is our main server.

At 18:35 3/16/96, K. wrote:
> Yum yum, what fun we can have with fetch!
>
> I guess thats what you get from an Ivy League university computer department!
>
> K.

K.,

Well, at this point I'm blaming Apple more than anyone else.

The problem happens with both Anarchie and Fetch -- and only with light.
I'd be tempted to blame light's ftpd, but even if it were flakey -- and I'm
not convinced it is -- the Mac still shouldn't be hanging and needing
rebooting.

But yes, it is annoying that Fetch is so much slower when it makes Open
Transport calls.  In this case it hangs uploading to light too.

I'm tempted to put together an FTP tool using some sample code I've got
lying around, because that would either give me something that works or a
framework in which to learn more about what's going on.  But life is short
...

D.

---

From: Dan Foster <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 1996 19:33:42 -0500 (EST)

> the below discussion indicates.

[discussion snipped for brevity]

Do you happen to have a shell account(Unix or VMS, whatever) where you can
test to see if the problem occurs with that as well. If so, then likely it
is ftpd...otherwise, I would attribute it to the combination of OpenTransport/
Fetch. Remember...OpenTransport is *really* new and is as such, has plenty
of issues still to be resolved. I finally went OT yuesterday..Fetch
works well for me, although I identified at least one scenario where a
screwy program can 'halt' the data stream for other programs, causing them
to go nuts. Fetch handled it pretty well, but didn't continue.

There's a program that cleans up hanging open TCP connections whenever a
program is invoked - mail me for a copy if you're still having problems.

-Dan