Subject: Accounting with the virtual ftp feature of 2.4.2

From: Chin Fang <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 1996 12:10:31 -0800 (PST)

For accounting, I have been trying to implement a virtual server name
logging mechanism into the latest WU-FTPD 2.4.2 b9 without much
success.  I thought by keeping the virtual ftp server's hostname and
then write it out later this could be accomplished, but names don't 
show up somehow :(  

Right now, our machine has some virtual ftp servers running on it, but
since the log entries are written after the chroot(2), so anonymous
ftp entries all show up as rooted at /, pretty hard to tell which
virtual ftp server was used :(

Any suggestions?

Regards,

Chin Fang
[email-masked]

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 1996 16:26:01 -0500 (EST)

> virtual ftp server was used :(
	I had submitted some patches, against beta9, that changed the
format of the virtual ftp config options, and allowed you to create a
seperate log file for each virtual domain.  I've been running it here
for several weeks now, without any problems.

Marc G. Fournier | POP Mail  Telnet Acct  DNS Hosting
System           |  WWW Services   Database Services  | Knowledge, 
  Administrator  |                                    | Information and
 [email-masked]  |      WWW: http://www.ki.net        | Communications, Inc

---

From: Chin Fang <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 1996 14:40:04 -0800 (PST)

Dear Marc,

Thanks for pointing this out to me.  I would love to see your patches.
I basically tried to kludge one more entry after the 

#ifdef STUPID_SPRINTF
/* Some sprintfs can't deal with a lot of arguments, so we split this */

in the ftpd, but somehow my own stuff doesn't work.

> for several weeks now, without any problems.

Could you point out to me where to get your patches?  I just checked 
ftp.academ.com's pub and pub/wu-ftpd/private, didn't see anything.

Would you please email me a copy?

I am particularly interested in knowing whether it's likely to run
into file descriptor problems with such an approach.  I believe
that some web servers also allow separate log files for virtual 
web servers, but that approach typically creates headaches after
some OS dependent number of virtual web servers are built.

Thanks and best,

Chin Fang

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 1996 17:56:25 -0500 (EST)

> Would you please email me a copy?
	Depending on how quickly you need it, I just put a full .tar.gz file
of .beta9 with the patches in ftp://ftp.ki.net/pub/users/scrappy.  I'm
going to pull a fresh copy of beta9 and do a diff against it, but don't
seem to have one laying around the system right now :(

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 1996 18:30:48 -0500 (EST)

> Would you please email me a copy?
	There is an 8k .gz file available at:

	ftp://ftp.ki.net/pub/users/scrappy/wu-ftpd.diffs.gz

	That will go against a "clean" beta9.  The patch includes
various stuff for FreeBSD, as well as modifications to the original
Makefile.fbs.

	The format for the config entries change to:

# Virtual Servers
virtual <ip> root <chroot directory>
virtual <ip> banner <banner msg - optional>
virtual <ip> logfile <logfile - optional, defaults to "system logfile">

---

From: Chin Fang <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 1996 15:31:45 -0800 (PST)

Dear Marc,

Many thanks for the pointer.  Will take a look of your patch and see
where I goofed up :(

> seem to have one laying around the system right now :(

I just tried ftp.academ.com pub/wu-ftpd/private:

ftp> get wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-9.tar.Z
200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening BINARY mode data connection...
...

So Stan has got his copy around.

Thanks again,

Chin Fang