Subject: what debugging info wanted for ftp problem reports?

From: Dan Foster <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 1996 12:18:58 -0500 (EST)

Howdy!
	Stan et al., what kind of debugging information would you like
to see along with problem reports? Strace/truss output of anything?
tcpdump output? netstat? cat /proc/cpuinfo output? Anything?

	If I knew what kind of things to trace exactly, I would probably
be a lot more helpful in this area. As it is, I'm seeing a lot of sockets
opened, a previous poster's mention of a program to clear up something
along those lines didn't fly (dang), and hitting against the user limits
because idle timed-out connections aren't dying (happens in both 2.4.2
beta 8 and 9; I could probably verify with beta 7...), and thing to note
is that this machine is a Linux box running Slackware 2.x/kernel 1.2.13
setup; we haven't changed this setup in over a year since it's our primary
shell box. So, wonder if it's something to do with the OS, or some long-standing
weakness/feature in wu-ftpd?

-Dan

---

From: [email-masked] (Stan Barber)
Date: 14 Feb 1996 07:09:20 GMT

>tcpdump output? netstat? cat /proc/cpuinfo output? Anything?

If you get a core dump, a stack trace would be best.

If you don't get a core, but a hang, then supply at least the output
of "ps" and any other information you can.
-- 
Stan   | Academ Consulting Services        |internet: [email-masked]
Olan   | For more info on academ, see this |uucp: {mcsun|amdahl}!academ!sob
Barber | URL- http://www.academ.com/academ |Opinions expressed are only mine.