Subject: "refused PORT" in /var/adm/messages, what does it mean

From: [email-masked] (Andrew Patrick)
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 96 23:19:24 EST

Hardware: SPARCstation 20
OS: Solaris 2.5
Software Version: wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-9

I just installed wu-ftpd on a SPARCstation running Solaris 2.5.
Since the machine has come up I have logged a few "refused PORT"
warnings in /var/adm/messages.    Here are some examples (the names
are changed to protect the innocent):

Feb 10 21:49:14 myhost ftpd[8377]: refused PORT 0,1127 from host1
Feb 10 21:49:25 myhost ftpd[8378]: refused PORT 0,1129 from host1
Feb 11 19:33:40 myhost ftpd[11025]: refused PORT 0,2678 from host2
Feb 11 19:34:37 myhost ftpd[11027]: refused PORT 0,2683 from host2
Feb 12 12:41:23 myhost ftpd[14858]: refused PORT 80ff3386,0 from host3

I have not seen this in earlier versions of wu-ftpd running under SunOS.

What do these message indicate?

-- 
           Andrew Patrick, Ph.D. <[email-masked]>
               Networks Services & Interfaces Laboratory
                     Communications Research Centre
                       http://debra.dgbt.doc.ca/