Subject: Re: 2.4.2-beta9 on Sol 2.5?

From: [email-masked] (Mukesh Kacker)
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 1996 14:34:25 -0800

> The machine that is to be our site's anonymous ftp server is running
> Solaris 2.5.  Everything seems to work fine except for the fact that
> when an anonymous user 'quits' ftp, the machine panics with this in
> the messages file:
> 
> 		unix: panic: lm_get_me: no ticlts
> 
> At first I just tried using the tried-and-true executlable that was
> running on Sol 2.3 (wu-2.4(11)) without recompiling.  Then I tried
> compiling wu-2.4.2beta9 locally and got the same results.  I am now
> in the process of trying to compile the 2.4(11) on Sol 2.5.  I wasn't
> the original person to install it and am trying to decipher a couple
> things.
> 

Here is some advice.

(1) Uncomment the "savecore" line from your /etc/rc2.d/S202sysetup (possibly
    after pointing it to some area where you have enough disk space in case
    you do not have enough in your /var/crash.). Cause the panic and do a
    "sync" on the eeprom prompt to dump the core.
     Report to Sun through support channels that you can get the 2.5 machine
     to panic and give them the crash dumps and get them to file a bug.
     Nothing should ever be able to panic the machine this easy and your
     reporting the bug with a crash dump will help us nail down the problem.
    I have vested interest in this advice as it helps improve the quality of
    the OS. :-).Now on to your problem.

(2) The anonymous ftp installation in general requires a mirroring of the
    stuff needed from the root filesystem by anonymous ftp users. The anonymous
    ftp login does a chroot() to ~ftp and nothing from the rest of your system
    is accessible. It seems for some reason your installation of wu-ftpd
    (or maybe wu-ftpd in general) needs the /dev/ticlts device [ The standard
    Solaris 2.X anonymous ftpd installation requires only a "mknod" for
   /dev/ticotsord device. I do not have expertise in specifics of wu-ftpd ]

    What changed from releases after Solaris 2.3 to later is the
    implementation of the local transport drivers
    /dev/{ticlts, ticots, ticotsord}. [ They were MT unsafe drivers in
    Solaris 2.3 and were converted to multithreaded drivers in Solaris 2.4.
    There was also a change in the way they were implemented. One side effect
    of this change in the change in major/minor device numbers. ]. This has
    the affect that the device nodes created with "mknod" for any of the
    above three devices in Solaris 2.3 (or earlier) need redoing for later
    releases.

    The anonymous ftp installation is documented in the ftpd man page in Solaris
    2.5 (it has been fixed in minor ways so do not look at the one in earlier
    releases :-)). It requires a "mknod" of /dev/ticotsord device and there is
    a script to help. You can study that script and adapt it to redo the
    mknod(s) related to the subset of /dev/{ticots, ticotsord, ticlts} which
    is required by your installation as part of mirroring the subset of root
    filesystem that anonymous ftp users need.

    Recompiling the wu-ftpd application will not help. Redoing part of the
    anonymous ftp installation (any "mknod"'s done for /dev/{ticots, ticotsord,
    ticlts drivers) is what is needed here when you transition from
    Solaris 2.3 (or earlier) release to Solaris 2.4 (or later) release.

-Mukesh Kacker
 SunSoft Inc.
 [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Sarah Crozier)
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 12:18:40 -0700 (MST)

>     the OS. :-).Now on to your problem.

I will be able to set things back and do this this weekend.  My first call
to Sun wasn't very incouraging, but I gave the guy an easy way out by telling
him it was a public domain package causing the panic and he took it.

>     Solaris 2.3 (or earlier) release to Solaris 2.4 (or later) release.

I re-made ticotsord in ~ftp/dev and sure enough, the problem is gone.

Thank you so much for explaining this to me when you could have just
said to read the manual pages.  I would have gotten there sooner or 
later, but I am sure that the users are much happier with the sooner.

Thank you,
Sarah

-- 
---------------------------------------------------------------
Sarah R. Crozier		Phone: (303) 497-6203 
University of Colorado/CIRES	FAX  : (303) 497-7013
Campus Box 449
Boulder CO 80309, USA.	  	Email: [email-masked]
---------------------------------------------------------------