Subject: Re: Current and future version of the wuftp daemon

From: [email-masked] (Stan Barber)
Date: 17 Feb 1996 10:52:37 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> Barry Suskind <[email-masked]> writes:
>I see lots of traffic on the list about this beta version that is being 
>developed at ftp.academ.com while the released version is at
>wuarchive.wustl.edu. 
>
>Is "academ.com" taken support for the code and future releases will come
>from there? Or will the release version be put back to wustl.edu?
>
>I am confused as to the direction of the code. 

It is my understanding that no further work is planned on the wu-ftpd code
at wustl since there is no money to support it. I would welcome anyone from
wustl correcting this perception if I have been misinformed. From the data
I have, 2.4 is the final released version from wustl and there will be no
futher work.

Since there was no further work going on there, I decided I would do work
on it as a service to the Internet community. I have taken constributions
from a wide variety of people and assembled them into the 2.4.2 beta release
now being worked on.

ftp.academ.com will be the home to any such work I release. Right now,
the last release I did is avaialble from ftp.academ.com. 

If you have any further questions, let me know.

-- 
Stan   | Academ Consulting Services        |internet: [email-masked]
Olan   | For more info on academ, see this |uucp: {mcsun|amdahl}!academ!sob
Barber | URL- http://www.academ.com/academ |Opinions expressed are only mine.

---

From: Andrew Robert Ellsworth <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 1996 14:07:54 -0600 (CST)

> I have, 2.4 is the final released version from wustl and there will be no

Nope, you're correct.  2.4 is was the last (and almost certainly will be 
the last) version of wu-ftpd supported by wustl.

Andy Ellsworth             | "...The wind was not the beginning.  There are
[email-masked]         | neither beginnings nor endings to the turning of
Assistant Admin, wuarchive | the Wheel of Time.  But it was _a_ beginning..."
http://cec.wustl.edu/~are1 |          --The Wheel of Time saga, Robert Jordan

---

From: Andrew Robert Ellsworth <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 1996 14:20:38 -0600 (CST)

> the last) version of wu-ftpd supported by wustl.

I just re-read the above, and realized it needed a bit of rephrasing 
(curse the trigger-happy ^X...)

What I -meant- to say is that 2.4 was the most -recent- version of 
wu-ftpd supported by wustl, and will almost certainly be the -last- 
version that we release.  Just to clear things up. :)

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 15:59:38 -0500 (EST)

> from a wide variety of people and assembled them into the 2.4.2 beta release
	How do I get a copy of this?  I just checked out ftp.academ.com,
but it has stuff dated back to Jun 95, and a 'private' directory that is
not readable.  I'd like to get the most recent beta to play with...

Marc G. Fournier | POP Mail  Telnet Acct  DNS Hosting
System           |  WWW Services   Database Services  | Knowledge, 
  Administrator  |                                    | Information and
 [email-masked]  |      WWW: http://www.ki.net        | Communications, Inc

---

From: Jos Vos <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 1996 12:32:19 +0100 (MET)

> not readable.  I'd like to get the most recent beta to play with...

The welcome message in this directory says what the filename of the
latest beta-version is!

-- 
--    Jos Vos <[email-masked]>
--    X/OS Experts in Open Systems BV   |   Phone: +31 20 6938364
--    Amsterdam, The Netherlands        |     Fax: +31 20 6948204