Subject: [Q] Problem with Normal users and Group Ownership

From: [email-masked] (Greg A. Lato)
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 1996 10:29:24 -0600

I am having a problem with the normal users of my machine (non anonymous
users) and their files after they upload them.  When any user of the
machine uploads a file, the ownership of the file is set to <user>.system.
This is for all users of the machine.  I am in the middle of a project that
requires the group membership of uploaded files to be the primary group of
the user that uploads the file (for security reasons).  I looked through
the ftpaccess file and did't see anything that looked like it was causing
this. Does anyone know why this is happening and what I have to change so
that uploaded files are set to the user's primary group?

The system is runing WU-FTPD v2.4 on an IBM RS/6000 running AIX v3.2.5

Any and all help would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Greg

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+
 Greg A. Lato
  CWIS Administrator                    WWW:   http://www.uwec.edu/~latoga/
  Computing and Networking Services     email: [email-masked]
  University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire           [email-masked] (personal)
  Eau Claire, WI USA 54702-4004         Phone: (715) 836-3058
                                   -----
       "Graduating May 1996 with BS in CS, But Looking for a Job Now."

---

From: Bill Pemberton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 1996 17:06:01 -0500 (EST)

> The system is runing WU-FTPD v2.4 on an IBM RS/6000 running AIX v3.2.5

wu-ftpd doesn't do this right on AIX.  I've got a patch to fix it (and make
wu-ftpd not require /etc/shells on AIX) at:

tigger.itc.virginia.edu:/pub/AIX/wu-ftpd.diffs.txt.gz

-- 
Bill Pemberton                           [email-masked]
ITC/Unix Systems                         [email-masked]
University of Virginia                   uunet!virginia!wfp5p