Subject: ls -l not working with anon logins

From: Desney Tan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 1996 12:19:24 -0500 (EST)

We are currently running wuftpd 2.4 and everything seems to be woking ok, 
except that: 

   ls -l will work for user logins but not for anonymous logins

It says:
 
   200 PORT command successful.  
   150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for /bin/ls. 
   226 Transfer complete. 

But nothing shows... (even tho an ls will display the contents of the dir)

What are we doing wrong??? Any comments/suggestions/help would be greatly 
appreciated!

Thanx,
+---------------------------+         __MMM__   
|  Desney Swee-Leong Tan    /          (o o)
|  University of Notre Dame \  +---oOO--(_)--OOo--------+   
|  Computer Engineering     /  /                        |
|                           \  \  328 Keenan Hall       | 
|  [email-masked]    /  /  Notre Dame, IN 46556  | 
+---------------------------+  \  (219) 634-3332        |
			       +------------------------+

---

From: Chris Woods <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 1996 12:38:53 -0500

>    150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for /bin/ls.

This depends much upon what platform you are running wu-ftpd, of course,
but the general idea is that for anonymous ftp access, wu-ftpd performs
a chroot(), changing the effective root directory of the service, so
that incoming anonymous users won't see "above" a certain point in the
filesystem. The typical ls command is dynamically built against
libraries typically found in /usr/lib. There is a built-in ls that does
not support any flags (such as -l), so ls -l or dir or any other
"extended" command tries to make a call to the system's binary. However,
since ls will call upon libraries in /usr/lib, it will fail, because the
chroot() is performed before the ls command is issued, and ls cannot
find the libraries it needs. Symlink to the "real" ls will not work,
either, since the chroot() breaks the symlink. You need to either
statically compile ls (source available as part of GNU fileutils on
ftp://prep.ai.mit.edu/pub/gnu) or place the required libraries in to the
chroot() dir. This is outlined in the FAQ on Koos' page (sorry, I forgot
the URL, but it's pointed out in the docs that come with
wu-ftpd-2.4.2-b9.).

-- 
    Chris Woods					Systems & Network Guy
    mailto:[email-masked]		  Paladin Computing Solutions
    voice: 617-273-4226			       http://www.paladin.com
    Do you like the idea of the gubmint  controlling  everything  you
    see  and  hear?   See  http://www.aclu.org/issues/cyber/hmcl.html

---

From: "Rizalyn D. Labitad" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 1996 02:09:21 +0800 (HKT)

hello there!

> What are we doing wrong??? Any comments/suggestions/help would be greatly 

	I've encountered this problem not so long ago..:) what i did was 
copy the /bin/ls to  /home/ftp/pub/bin. Actually, i only followed what 
was suggested in the manual of ftpd. Just type man  ftpd for more 
details. I just changed some ownership and file permissions as what was 
suggested in the manual.

	Hope that helps! and Goodluck!

rizalyn

------------
So many things....
Too little time.....
	 @-- Make the first move or you'll forever live in doubt! --@ 
******************************************************************************
*  Rizalyn D. Labitad                           E-mail Address:              *
*  Center for Network Management and Services       [email-masked]  *
*  University of San Carlos Technological Center    [email-masked]  *
*  Talamban, Cebu City                  Voice: (63)-(32)-85021to24 loc303    *
*  Philippines 6000                     Fax#:  (63)-(32)-3460351             *
******************************************************************************
               @-- Success is a marathon not a sprint --@