Subject: Replacing SunOS daemons/executables ?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 1996 14:27:39 -0500

I am confused by my experiences when replacing the SunOS 4.1.3_U1 ftp
daemons with the compiled wu-ftpd daemon.

I have two references to ftp:  /usr/ucb/ftp
                               /usr/etc/in.ftpd

               compiled wu-ftpd  /usr/local/etc/ftpd   <=wu-ftpd

I redirected my inetd.conf entry from /usr/etc/in.ftpd  in.ftpd
to:  /usr/local/etc/ftpd  ftpd

Restarted the inetd.conf via the -HUP command.

The result is a message upon remote connection:

ftp 0

name(0:root)  anonymous
421 service not available, remote server has closed connection.
login failed

The SunOS anonymous ftp login works which proves I have the anon dir
structure right, the passwd/groups files setup.  I have modeled the 
ftpallow/deny/users etc files with the samples given.  Placement,naming
conventions and possible ftp setup files are in question.

Please give me some guidance.

Thanks,

John Monson
[email-masked]