Subject: Re: 421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection

From: Phil Tracy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 10:45:40 -0600

>> $ ftp ftp.allmansland.com
>> Connected to avrell.allmansland.com.
>> 421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection

You'll also see this if the ftpshut message is left lying around in /etc (Or
wherever).  I spent quite a bit of time tracking this down just yesterday.
I had run ftpshut, then rebooted the machine before the alloted time had
expired.  The ftpshutmsg was never removed, and so all incoming connections
were refused.  Frustrating!

        - Phil

--
Phillip Tracy  <[email-masked]>
Northwestern University ACNS, Evanston, IL  USA
http://grumpy.nsg.nwu.edu/tracy/philtracy.html

---

From: Yanming PENG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 96 18:31:54 WET

> When I put it into inetd.conf, however, the server gives the following reply:
> 
> ftp>
Has someone metioned that you should create /etc/shells?

I think it is in FAQ.

--
Yanming PENG Email: [email-masked] http://peng.mech.kuleuven.ac.be
Tel.32-16-322516 | The trouble with doing something right the first time is |
Fax:32-16-322987 | that nobody appreciates how difficult it was.            |

---

From: Mazinger Peter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 1996 10:37:18 +0100

>My entry into inetd.conf is as follows (all on one line of course)
>ftp    stream  tcp     nowait  root
>/opt/SUNWnak/packages/SUNWtcpwA/bin/tcpd /opt/wu-ftpd/etc/ftpd -d -a
>
Look in your hosts.allow for your tcp-wrapper, you probably forgot the entry
ftpd: ALL (or some filter)
Best regards,

Mazinger Peter-Sandor		email: [email-masked]
				backup:[email-masked]

Tel: +43 5574 53200		http://www.tele.net
Fax: +43 5574 53200 730		http://www.VOL.at
				http://www.LOL.li
				http://www.WOL.at
				http://www.Vienna.at soon
				ftp://ftp.tele.net
----------------------------------------------------------------