Subject: Re: Sites that cannot log into wuftpd?

From: "Seton R. Droppers" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 1995 10:04:49 -0500 (EST)

"Seton R. Droppers" writes
>We switched from our venders ftpd (HP-UX 9.04) to wuftpd. We have one site tha
>t
>appears to hang during log in, they never get a USER prompt. The only thing 
>that
>happens is we get a syslog entry from inetd saying a connection has been made,
>then no more traffic. Other sites are logging in with no problem.
>
>Any ideas?

I did two things:

1) Added a banner message. After that the site was able to log in with
   no problem.

2) I have also disabled the RFC931 authentication logic via the authenticat.h
   header file.

Change 1 fixed the problem my remote site was having, change 2 was added to
ensure things worked for others, per some of the messages I got.

Thanks all.

Seton
-- 
Seton Droppers --  Unix Systems Administrator, E-Mail Postmaster
Public Broadcasting Service, 1320 Braddock Place, Alexandria VA 22314-1698
EMail: [email-masked]   Voice: 703.739.5089    FAX: 703.739.5428
<a href="http://www.pbs.org/>Come Visit PBS!!!</a>

---

From: [email-masked] (Koos van den Hout _U nix and we all_)
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 1995 16:57:24 +0100 (MET)

> 2) I have also disabled the RFC931 authentication logic via the authenticat.h

In the latest beta versions, there is a timeout on the RFC931 connection.
That is needed for some MS-DOS ftp clients that don't send a 'connection
refused' to other incoming connections (NCSA/telnet ftp comes to mind).

RFC931 authentication (aka identd) is otherwise a nice identification.
Although some DOS packages are already supporting it :-(

                                                Grtx. KH

-- 
  Koos van den Hout,           Internetter, Unix freak and BBS SysOp at large
  [email-masked] (Home)        BBS Koos z'n Doos (+31-30-6036637 28k8)
  [email-masked] (Work)  <-- finger -l for PGPkey    (+31-30-6056619 14k4)
  http://www.hvu.nl/~koos (WWW)    Looking for a license plate with "RFC 822"
  We are root. You will be assimilated. Resistance is useless. Clickety Click