Subject: wu-ftpd on OSF/1 with enhanced security

From: Bart Verspagen MERIT <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 1995 09:31:51 +0100 (MET)

Apologies if you see this message for the second time in a few days, but 
I am under the impression something went wrong the first time I tried to 
send this.

Anyway, I wonder if there is somebody out there who succesfully installed 
wu-ftpd on a DEC OSF/1 (V3.2) system with enhanced scurity enabled. 

I tried installing it, had no problems with compiling, but the only user 
that will work is anonymous (and yes, I do have an /etc/shells file with 
the appropriate entries). Switching to base security does the trick, but 
I would rather stay on enhanced security...

Any help is appreciated!

Bart Verspagen

PS: PLEASE NOTE MERIT'S NEW TELEPHONE AND FAX NUMBERS!!!!

Merit                |   email: [email-masked]
P.O. Box 616         |   tel: (+31) (0)43 3883869 / (+31) (0)43 3883875
6200 MD Maastricht   |   fax: (+31) (0)43 3216518
The Netherlands      |

*** Check out our WWW-site at http://meritbbs.rulimburg.nl ***
*** Anonymous ftp-access to MERIT-files: meritbbs.rulimburg.nl ***

---

From: Edward Murphy <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 1995 11:13:32 -0600 (CST)

Bart,

We're running that configuration and when I installed wu-ftpd it I had the
exact same problem. It turned out that the crypt() function which encrypts
the passwords would only handle the standard 8 character max passwords. I
changed from the "crypt()" function to the "bigcrypt()" function (an
undocumented routine, reported to me by someone on this list) and I was
then able to log in as any user, no problems. 

Try this and let me know how it turns out.

Regards,
Ed Murphy

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
= Edward Murphy * [email-masked] =
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

On Wed, 13 Dec 1995, Bart Verspagen MERIT wrote:

[snip]
> I would rather stay on enhanced security...
[snip]