Subject: ls, dir, Solaris -- SOLVED!!

From: Carl Payne <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 95 13:48:11 -0700

Of course it was my fault.

That being said, let me tell you what happened, just in case someone else  
steps on it.

ld.so.1 is required in /usr/lib, consequently ~ftp/usr/lib, right?

Well, in ~ftp/usr, I noticed something funny about the symlinks,  so I  
deleted them on a hunch.  Now I was in the church looking for the pew.

I redid the links as so:

0510/export/General/ftp/usr: ln -s ../lib ./lib/
0511/export/General/ftp/usr: ln -s ../bin ./bin/

Checked the function from another machine...

...IT WORKED!!

So, bound to discover if I was stupid or not, I deleted the links again,  
backed all the way out and did a fullpath link like so:

0515/: ln -s /export/General/ftp/lib /export/General/ftp/usr/lib/
0516/: ln -s /export/General/ftp/bin /export/General/ftp/usr/bin/

Checked the function from another machine...

...no dice.

I'm not making this up!  I don't know if something inside the link knows it  
was created outside the ftp user's home directory or what.  I'm sure that's  
what I did the first time, as it produced an identical link to the first one I  
deleted.  Went back to ~ftp/usr and did my links over and it works.

I'm sure this is the RIGHT way to do this, but I've never had such trouble on  
a BSD4.3 or 4.4 machine.  'Twas my own fault all along.

Many thanks to all the kind souls who helped along the way, including Ric,  
C., Charles, Shelly and Brad, just to name a few.

Carl