Subject: Problem with commands logging

From: [email-masked] (Daniel Clar)
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 1995 09:18:33 +0200

Hello,

I'm new on this mailing list and I'm quite sure that this question is a FAQ.

While reading the Managing Internet Information Services book on page 85 at the
bottom of the page, I've seen something about the commands logging.

Here is the content of my ftpaccess file :

................
log commands anonymous,real,guest
................

And the only commands displayed in the "syslog" file  on Digital UNIX are 
USER and PASS. There is no CWD , nor RETR, neither STOR and so on.

Is it a configuration problem ?

Thanks

Daniel

o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o
|   Daniel Clar          	    	   e-mail : [email-masked]  |
|   Computer Operations Manager			  : [email-masked]	    |
|   Service Informatique Supelec                    and                     |
|   Plateau de Moulon                     DECUSF::CLAR_D or [email-masked] |
|   91192 Gif sur Yvette Cedex - France                                     |
|   Tel : (33 1) 69 85 14 87        	   Fax : (33 1) 69 85 12 34         |
o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o

---

From: ldw <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 1995 08:51:13 -0800 (PST)

Dear Netter,
 I have succeeded in install the wu-ftpd 2.4(3) on SGI indy IRIX 5.2, all 
its function working well,  except that:
  1) The anonymous ftp can be accessed by any passwd, not just email 
address. How can I make the ftpd only recognized the email address and 
give some hints if some one give a wrong passwd(there is @ in his email 
address)
  2) I have access the anonymous ftp many times from another machine, but 
the /usr/adm/xferlog still empty, why?

  Any suggestions for above question is welcome.
  Thanks in advance,
  Dawei

---

From: [email-masked] (Mark W. de Raad)
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 1995 15:49:22 +1030 (CST)

You (ldw) wrote.......
> give some hints if some one give a wrong passwd(there is @ in his email 
Youll need to place an option in your ftpaccess file, ala the following:

passwd-check rfc822 warn

That will warn the user to use @ in the passwd... or you could put
passwd-check rfc822 enforce

Which will FORCE them to put a @ in their password.. :)

> the /usr/adm/xferlog still empty, why?

Well, you should check your paths again - the pathnames.h perhaps?
I think it looks for /var/adm or /var/log rather then /usr/adm
as default...

Cheers,

Mark

---
Mark W. de Raad			    			o
					             _ /-_
University of South Australia                 ......(_)>(_)
Australia

Telephone: (+6115) 717 472
In Australia: 015 717 472
For Quick response, please mail: [email-masked]

                              _\\|//_
                              ( O-O )
---------------------------o00--(_)--00o------------------------------
May Euell Gibbons eat your only copy of the manual!

---

From: Eilon Gishri <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 1995 10:07:24 +0200 (IST)

> May Euell Gibbons eat your only copy of the manual!
You will probably like to enable RFC931-style authentication too. You can find
it in src/authenticate.h, change it to :

/* When of the supported authentication methods the ftp server will attempt
 * to use.  Define as 1 to enable, 0 to disable. */

#define USE_A_RFC931    1               /* Use RFC931-style authentication */

It is disabled by default.

-- 
		Eilon Gishri, Tel-Aviv University Computation Center
		Home 03-5078671
		E-mail: [email-masked]

---

From: ldw <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 1995 17:51:52 -0800 (PST)

Dear Netter, 
 Thanks Mark and Eilton. The first of my problem have been solve. I 
change: passwd-check rfc822 warn to 
        passwd-check rfc822 enforce
 And it is works.
 
  Unfortunately the second problem still remain. That is 

  I have checked the pathname.h file. The defination path of xferlog is 
indeed /usr/adm/xferlog. The sentence define this is 
  #define _PATH_XFERLOG   "/usr/adm/xferlog"

  So would please help me solve the problem again.

  Thanks in advance,
  Dawei

---

From: ldw <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 1995 17:55:44 -0800 (PST)

Dear wu-ftpders,
 I have got problem to run "build install", but I install the ftpd ... 
etc by hand and the ftpd .... is running well. Now I want to read the 
document of ftpd. How to install it also by hand. 
 Thanks in advance,
 Dawei

---

From: Tim Villa - ECS <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 1995 08:40:32 +0800 (WST)

> document of ftpd. How to install it also by hand. 
Find your man path (setenv | grep MAN) and drop the *.1 files in
man/man1 the *.2 files in man/man.2 etc.  There may be an automated way
(perhaps build man) but it's been a while since I've updated ours so I
don't know.

Tim
-- 
Tim Villa                   Faculties of Economics & Commerce, Education and Law
Network/Systems officer            The University of Western Australia     _-@
Phone: +61-9-380-1796                              Fax: +61-9-380-1068  --\ \,)
email: [email-masked]              http://www.ecel.uwa.edu.au/tim (*)'~(*)