Subject: wu-ftp2.4 and Netscape

From: Eric Vielet <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 1995 15:11:31 +0100

We use wu-ftp2.4 under solaris2.4 and everything's OK except that when we 
connect to our server through Nescape on a Macintosh (and only in this case, 
it works fine under Unix or Windows, and even on a Macintosh with Mosaic), we 
get the message :
"Netscape is enable to find the file /. Check the file name and try again"

If we try to go in /pub, we get the same thing :
"Netscape is enable to find the file /pub. Check the file name and try again"

Any idea ?

Thanks,
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Vielet Eric			| CRIHAN
Phone : (+33) 35 59 61 59	| Parc Technologique de la Vatine
Fax   : (+33) 35 59 61 40	| 32, rue Raymond Aron
E-mail : [email-masked]		| 76130 Mont-Saint-Aignan, France
------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked] (Uwe Willenbacher/Proctor-Willenbacher)
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 1995 07:23:08 -0800

> "Netscape is enable to find the file /. Check the file name and try again"

I have the same mistery. eport it with every new bta release to Netscape,
however no fix yet:( The funny thing is Netscape FTP works with the Solaris
ftp daemon...

Go figure...

Cheers, Uwe

                                    \\|//
                                    (o o)
==================================w===U===w================================
 |___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|
 Uwe Willenbacher      |___|___|___|___|___|___|   Fax: 415.333.5485
 Webmaster/SysAdmin      |___|___|___|___|___|     WWW: www.prowillen.com
 Proctor-Willenbacher  |___|___|___|___|___|___| eMail: [email-masked]
 |___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|

---

From: Simon Rakov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 1995 10:36:11 -0400 (EDT)

Hi, 

Your server is probably not supporting passive mode.  To fix it, do the 
following from the UNIX prompt:

> cd ~ftp/dev
> chgrp ftp tcp
> chmod 775 tcp

Apparently it needs the write bit on the tcp device.   I would be interested in 
comment on the security 
implications of this fix.

This question is becoming an FAQ.   I've answered it twice since I figured out 
how to fix it.  Could someone please add it to the wu-ftpd FAQ (although I 
admit that it is a Solaris problem, not a wu-ftpd problem)?  Thanks.

--Simon Rakov
AT&T New Media Services

--------------------- In Reply To ----------------------------

To: wu-ftpd @ wugate.wustl.edu @ Internet
cc: ev @ crihan.fr @ Internet (bcc: Simon Rakov)
From: Eric.Vielet @ crihan.fr (Eric Vielet) @ Internet
Date: 12/26/95 03:11:31 PM
Subject: wu-ftp2.4 and Netscape

Any idea ?

Thanks,

---

From: [email-masked] (Uwe Willenbacher/Proctor-Willenbacher)
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 1995 08:55:22 -0800

> following from the UNIX prompt:

Hmm, tried it - no success:( It keeps hanging, and when I stop Netscape
(vers. 2.0b4) I get a screen displaying "up to higher level" and under that
the number 226.

The same URL works fine with Netscape on Windows and UNIX - It's *only* the
Macversion that seems to have this problem

Any other clues would be *greatly* appreatiated.

-Uwe

                                    \\|//
                                    (o o)