Subject: Service not available error

From: Peter Musca <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 1995 16:53:42 +0800

Hi,

I have a few ftp servers setup at different sites around the world and one
refuses to work. 

the message when trying to login is:

421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection
Login failed.
No control connection for command: Illegal seek

I have checked the ftpaccess file for the location of the shutmsg file and
removed it (it wasn't there to start with). I checked the syslog file and this
is the message that appears after I provide a login name but before I am
prompted for a password

ftpd[128]: exiting on signal 11

Any idea would be great. 

Can you please email direct.

	...peter
--
--------------------------------------------------------------
Peter Musca  
System/Network Administrator     Email: [email-masked]
World Geoscience Corp            Phone: +61-9-273-6400
Western Australia                  fax: +61-9-273-6466
--------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "R. Reginald Sprinkhuizen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 1995 18:57:45 +0100 (MET)

> ftpd[128]: exiting on signal 11

I don't know on what OS you're installing on, but on Linux a signal 11 
means you have got SERIOUS problems with memory. Or: there is none 
available, or: one of your simms needs a replacement.
The reason I know this, is because I had problems with a HP disk with a 
lack of decent cooling: the swap-space on the drive was not accessible properly
and voila: there is your signal 11!!!

> Can you please email direct.

Both okay as well?

+---.  +---.   .----,  ==  R. Reginald Sprinkhuizen
| o  ) | o  ) (   (    ==  Reina Prinsen-Geerligspad 9
|   <  |   <   )   )   ==  3207 GN SPIJKENISSE (The Netherlands)
!_|\_\ !_|\_\ |___/    ==  +31-181-632722