Subject: How to compile wu_ftpd on SGI indy under BIRIX 5.2

From: ldw <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 1995 23:07:28 -0800 (PST)

Dear Wu_ftpders,
 When I compile the wu_ftpd, I encountered many problems. The first there 
is no "xxx" for SGI indy IRIX 5.2.  So I used "gen" for build. But the 
error message said there is no ranlib command. I also found there is 
no libc.a in my machine. Has  any body compile it succeed in SGI indy 
under IRIX 5.2? Any suggestion is welcome.
 Thank is advance,
 Dawei

P.S. The following is the compile log.
---------------------------------------------------------------------- make
args are :  make opts are :  Linking Makefiles.  makefiles/Makefile.lin and
Makefile are identical config/config.lin and config.h are identical
makefiles/Makefile.lin and Makefile are identical Making support library. 
        rm -f libsupport.a
        ar cq libsupport.a getusershell.o fnmatch.o strcasestr.o strerror.o
strsep.o authuser.o ftw.o strdup.o
        ranlib libsupport.a ranlib - Command not found *** Error code 1
(bu21) Making ftpd. 
        cc -O -DDEBUG -I.. -I../support -L../support -c ftpd.c cfe: Warning
581: /usr/include/stdarg.h:133: Macro va_start redefined.  cfe: Warning 581:
/usr/include/stdarg.h:140: Macro _VA_ALIGN redefined.  cfe: Warning 581:
/usr/include/stdarg.h:146: Macro __va_stack_arg redefined.  cfe: Warning 609:
ftpd.c: 2021: The number of arguments in the macro invocation does not match
the definition cfe: Warning 609: ftpd.c: 2072: The number of arguments in the
macro invocation does not match the definition cfe: Warning 609: ftpd.c:
2699: The number of arguments in the macro invocation does not match the
definition cfe: Error: ftpd.c, line 143: redeclaration of 'realpath';
previous declaration at line 188 in file '/usr/include/stdlib.h'
  *realpath(char *pathname, char *result);  cfe: Error: ftpd.c, line 143:
Incompatible type for the function parameter --^
  *realpath(char *pathname, char *result);  cfe: Error: ftpd.c, line 2021:
Syntax Error -----------------^
     (ap = ((char *)& + sizeof())) ;  cfe: Error: ftpd.c, line 2072: Syntax
Error
     (ap = ((char *)& + sizeof())) ;------------------------------^ cfe:
Error: ftpd.c, line 2699: Syntax Error
     (ap = ((char *)& + sizeof())) ;------------------------------^ *** Error
code 1 (bu21) ------------------------------^ Making ftpcount.  `ftpcount' is
up to date.  Making ftpshut.  `ftpshut' is up to date.  Making ckconfig. 
`ckconfig' is up to date.  ../src/ftpcount and ftpwho are identical
../src/ckconfig and ckconfig are identical Links to executables are in bin
directory:  size: Error in reading object bin/ftpd Size of bin/ftpcount:85220
        Section Size Physical Address Virtual Address
          .text 35984 4194752 4194752
          .init 32 4230736 4230736
         .rdata 1552 268443456 268443456
          .data 8000 268435456 268435456
         .sdata 640 268445008 268445008
          .sbss 160 268445648 268445648
           .bss 38816 268445808 268445808
       .comment 36 0 0
           rsrc 0 0 0 Size of bin/ftpshut:82692
        Section Size Physical Address Virtual Address
          .text 33456 4194752 4194752
          .init 32 4228208 4228208
         .rdata 1552 268443760 268443760
          .data 8304 268435456 268435456
         .sdata 576 268445312 268445312
          .sbss 128 268445888 268445888
           .bss 38608 268446016 268446016
       .comment 36 0 0
           rsrc 0 0 0
                                         
        Section Size
          .text 35984 4194752 4194752 Beijing 100871
          .init 32 4230736 4230736 P.R.China
         .rdata 1552 268443456 268443456 Phone: 86-10-2501490 Fax: 
86-10-2501725
          .data 8000 268435456 268435456 Email: [email-masked]
         .sdata 640 268445008 268445008 [email-masked]
          .sbss 160 268445648 268445648 
           .bss 38816 268445808 268445808 
       .comment 36 0 0
           rsrc 0 0 0 Size of bin/ckconfig:5199
        Section Size Physical Address Virtual Address
          .text 1664 4196640 4196640
          .init 32 4198304 4198304
        .rodata 1376 268435456 268435456
           .lib 32 4194880 4194880
           .bss 16 268436928 268436928
       .dynamic 192 4194688 4194688
        .dynstr 352 4195232 4195232
          .msym 320 4194912 4194912
        .dynsym 624 4195584 4195584
           .got 96 268436832 268436832
          .hash 432 4196208 4196208
        .interp 19 4194592 4194592
       .compact 44 0 0 Done

---

From: [email-masked] (Koos van den Hout _U nix and we all_)
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 1995 20:42:13 +0100 (MET)

> under IRIX 5.2? Any suggestion is welcome.

First suggestion : if there is no ranlib, it probably isn't needed anyway.
Replace it with touch.

About the compiler errors : I have no experience with SGI Irix. Maybe
someone else can help on this one.

                                     Grtx. KH

-- 
  Koos van den Hout,           Internetter, Unix freak and BBS SysOp at large
  [email-masked] (Home)        BBS Koos z'n Doos (+31-30-6036637 28k8)
  [email-masked] (Work)  <-- finger -l for PGPkey    (+31-30-6056619 14k4)
  http://www.hvu.nl/~koos (WWW)    Looking for a license plate with "RFC 822"
  We are root. You will be assimilated. Resistance is useless. Clickety Click

---

From: Eilon Gishri <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 1995 00:10:48 +0200 (IST)

Two suggestions:
1) Add -cckr to the compilers args.
2) define NCARGS, you can find the value for it in
 /var/sysgen/mtune/kernel (ncargs)

-- 
		Eilon Gishri, Tel-Aviv University Computation Center
		Home 03-5078671
		E-mail: [email-masked]