Subject: Re: Disabling recursive directory listings

From: [email-masked] (Harald Milz)
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 1995 07:39 +0100 (MET)

Evan Champion ([email-masked]) wrote:
> We have a very large FTP filesystem and we are having problems with users
> doing recursive directory listings and then leaving, etc. before the listing
> is finished.  This leaves behind lots of ls's running.  Is there a way to
> disable recursive directory listings in wu-ftpd, or if the feature isn't
> already there, in which part would I look to disable the command?

There is at least one FTP server I know of who patched ls not to accept
"R" for recursive listings (but another capital letter instead). Get GNU
ls, patch the getopt() part and there you go. People mirroring off your
site with mirror must be told about this, however, so that they can set
proper flags_recursive.

Ciao,
hm

-- 
Harald Milz ([email-masked])

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite
you.  This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
		-- Mark Twain

---

From: Evan Champion <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 1995 08:50:05 -0500 (EST)

At 10:15 95-11-21 +0100, you wrote:
>Erm... doesn't closing the ftp-data socket from remote cause a SIGPIPE
>in wu-ftpd that can be used to kill the forked process ?

I'm not even sure that the ftpd is figuring out that people have left.  We
see  FTP sessions that have been running for *days*.

Evan