Subject: Timezone

From: "R.R. Sprinkhuizen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 1995 20:09:56 +0100 (MET)

To all.

Finally (with a patch) I got 2.4 up and running. Hooray!
Now for this one: when using the %T magic-cookie in textfiles, it displays
the local time. But, how do I get the daemon to recognize my TZ?
I copied /etc/timezone to ~ftp/etc/timezone, but no cure yet.

Anyone?

+---.  +---.   .----,  ==  R.R. Sprinkhuizen
| o  ) | o  ) (   (    ==  Reina Prinsen-Geerligspad 9
|   <  |   <   )   )   ==  3207 GN SPIJKENISSE (The Netherlands)
!_|\_\ !_|\_\ |___/    ==  +31-181-632722

---

From: Woody Lee <woody@gergu3>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 1995 13:35:30 -0600 (CST)

> |   <  |   <   )   )   ==  3207 GN SPIJKENISSE (The Netherlands)

Could you please either CC me on the answer to this, or post a summary?

Thanks.
-- 
-=-=-  [email-masked]  -=|=-   http://gergu3.tamu.edu/~woody  -=-=-
Woody Lee, Research Associate   | "That's the whole problem with science.
GERG - Texas A&M University     |  You've got a bunch of empiricists trying 
727 Graham Road  MS 3149        |  to describe things of unimaginable wonder."
College Station, TX 77845       |                 - Calvin (& Hobbes)
-=-=-  Phone: (409) 862-2321  -=|=-       FAX: (409) 862-1347        -=-=-

---

From: Zeljko Rajic <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 1995 20:44:03 +0100 (MET)

> Finally (with a patch) I got 2.4 up and running. Hooray!

could you tell me where to get the patch ??

RaZe  	<[email-masked]>

---

From: "R.R. Sprinkhuizen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 1995 22:16:28 +0100 (MET)

> could you tell me where to get the patch ??

I got it from ftp.infomagic.com and is called: wu-ftpd-2.4.diff. It is
somewhere down the sources-tree. Same place as source of wu-ftpd, but
I can't remember where.
Good luck.

Greetings from Reginald (That's the second R :-)

---

From: "R. Reginald Sprinkhuizen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 1995 21:51:14 +0100 (MET)

> Could you please either CC me on the answer to this, or post a summary?

I skipped through the sources, and looked in some _man_uals, and found 
out the following.
Since the user 'ftp' does not log-in for real (it does not have a real
shell, except if /bin/false is linked to /bin/sh ;-), it's environment
variable TZ or TIMEZONE is never set. Therefore the time-functions (as
used in ftpd) read a file '/usr/lib/zoneinfo/localtime'.
I had it linked to the wrong TZ-file. When I linked it to CET (the
same as what I set TZ to be) ftpd displayed the correct _local_ time!

Hope this will help you!