Subject: symlinks? and guestgroup

From: Brian Harvell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 1995 17:20:27 -0500 (EST)

Hi first off I am new to the list :)

but here it goes.
I was wondering is there anyway to get ftp to follow symlinks back. ie like 
when you set symlinks=expand in tcsh

Here is what I have.  Users in the group nobody are put in the guestgroup
so they get chrooted to the directory below their home dir. So 
/home/www/username is their home dir and they are chrooted to /home/www.
Now I have a nfs mount point in /home/www/htdocs that mounts the htdocs
directory on another machine.  I then put a symlink in the users directory
to point to ../htdocs/their-dir.  Now I want it to come back to their home
directory when a cd .. is done. 
Can something be done with cdpath or alias?

Also is there anyway to set environment variables when people ftp in and then
set the ownership for the upload in ftpaccess to the variable.

The second problem is I have the users primary group set to nobody. I then
have secondary groups that I create on both machines (ie the one users have 
an account on and the one that is mounted) All the users that need write 
permissions to the dir over on the mounted machine gets added to the 
appropriate group.  What I would like is for the ownership to be some-owner 
(either www or the user) and then the secondary group that they belong to. 

Possible solution I have thought of:
Making the secondary group the primary group for the user.
cons: I would have to add a bunch of groups to the guestgroup in ftpaccess
or add the users to another secondary group like nobody 
Plus not every user needs this setup and I would have to decide this when
setting up the account or go back and change everything.

Is there another way?

Thanks
Brian