Subject: AIX 3.2.5 and Incoming

From: [email-masked] (David L. Thompson)
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 1995 13:30:19 -0700

I can't get my incoming directory to work.  Here is what I have set up:

drwxr-xr-x   4 root     staff        512 Nov 14 13:02 incoming

and, the containing directories are also set up as 755.  My ftp access has the
following:

# specify the upload directory information
upload  /local/ftp  *              no
upload  /local/ftp  /pub/incoming  yes     root   staff  0600  nodirs

When I try and log in as anonymous, etc. I get a permission refused for
upload error message.  My ftpd is running from the inetd as user ftp.  If I
open the directory up as world writable, then the ownership and permissions
do not change.  Anybody got a hint for me?

Thanks,
David

.............................................................................
David L. Thompson                     mailto:[email-masked]
The University of Montana/ITRC        The University of Montana/CS Department
Digital Multimedia Specialist         Missoula, MT  59812
                                      Work Phone : (406)243-4810

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 1995 15:09:27 -0600 (CST)

> drwxr-xr-x   4 root     staff        512 Nov 14 13:02 incoming

Set permissions to allow write to the directory.  I use 0733 - the
directory contents are not visible, and coupled with the line below, the
directory cannot be used for trading illicit software and other material 
I don't want on my site.

ftpaccess:

upload  /home/ftp  /incoming     yes     root    daemon  0400 nodirs

I also have the above line in /etc/ftpaccess - you can't read back what 
you put up, so it is a one way street.

Michael
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Michael Brennen, President   /           /           [email-masked]
FishNet, Inc.               / Internet  /         http://www.fni.com/ 
P.O. Box 940451            /  Services /     (214) 783-2553 (vox/fax)
Plano,  TX  75074-0451    /           /  finger me for PGP public key