Subject: Re: htm -> html ftpconversion entry

From: Yanming PENG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 95 11:47:05 WET

> 
> Hey, thanks for the pointer; I'm already using WSFTP. Additionally,
> I have to deal with users who sometimes have 1000's of .htm files
> that need to be uploaded to a Unix type box. I really need a transparent
> solution :-)
> 
A perl script "rename" can easily do the job. 

> Thanks again, though!
> ...dlc...

--
Yanming PENG  [email-masked]  http://peng.mech.kuleuven.ac.be or
http://www.mech.kuleuven.ac.be/pma/people/peng/index.html  Tel.32-16-322516
-- The trouble with doing something right the first time is that nobody --
-- appreciates how difficult it was. --

---

From: Darci Chapman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 1995 08:26:08 -0800

On Thu, 09 Nov 1995 11:47:05 +0700, Yanming PENG wrote:

> Darci Chapman wrote:

And how does one get "rename" to execute with each transfer? Without
going into a lot of detail, the best solution for the environment this
is targeted for is to have ftpd on the Unix box do the rebame/conversion; 
I'd rather not hack ftpd but that is an acceptable solution once I've 
verified that ftpconversions will not do it for me.

Cheerio,
...dlc...

--
Darci L. Chapman Sr. Software/Firmware Consultant [email-masked]
               On loan from: Solution Logic, Inc, 503/222-0057
                 On loan to: Intel Corporation, 503/264-1419
		          http://puma.jf.intel.com

---

From: Shane Castle <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 1995 16:36:06 -0700 (MST)

>verified that ftpconversions will not do it for me.

I told myself to stay out of this, but now I just can't help it.  Why
do these files need to be renamed at all?  Every HTTP server I know of
can be configured to treat *.htm files the same as *.html files.  For
instance, the NCSA httpd looks at a file called 'mime.types' in its
configuration directory.  In order to have *.htm map to *.html, it
should have this line:

    text/html                      html htm

At least one of our users is using FTP on a PC to ship *.htm files into
our Web filespace and he is not bothering to rename the files from
*.htm to *.html and we are serving those files with no problems.

Shane Castle             | "Perfection, then, is finally achieved, not
Boulder County Info Svcs | when there is nothing left to add, but when
Boulder CO USA           | there is nothing left to take away."
                         |                - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

---

From: Darci Chapman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 1995 15:59:39 -0800

Hello, all,

It's a long story and ultimately I have no control over it; yes, I'm
quite aware that httpd servers can be made to serve up .htm files. But
that's not what I'm asking for, is it?

Thanks anyway -- it's quite apparent that it's time to put this particular
request to bed :-)

Cheerio,
...dlc...