Subject: URGENT HELP NEEDED! ftpshut killed my wuftpd

From: Giustino Scardovelli <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 1995 11:01:22 -0500

Hy all,
I issued an ftpshut command, it worked ok, then I rebooted my host.
Now the wuftpd server is PERMANENTLY DOWN, I mean when connecting
to wuftpd you get the following answer...

500 ftp.logos.it FTP server shut down -- please try again later

I tried to reboot the host again and again but wuftpd is still 
answering the same way. What's wrong? In the wuftpd documentation
there's nothing indicating any particular actions to be done after 
an ftpshut!

I'm running wuftpd 2.4 on a SparcStation 5 in Solaris 2.4 Release 3/95

Any ideas?

/--------------------------------------------------------------------\
|  Dr. Giustino Scardovelli                e-mail: [email-masked]     |
|--------------------------------------------------------------------|
|      LOGOS GROUP Srl               Direct Phone: (+39)-59-412513   |
|     via Curtatona 5/2       Central SwitchBoard: (+39)-59-412412   |
|    41100 MODENA (ITALY)                     Fax: (+39)-59-280854   |
\--------------------------------------------------------------------/

---

From: [email-masked] (Koos van den Hout _U nix and we all_)
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 1995 11:24:41 +0100 (MET)

> 500 ftp.logos.it FTP server shut down -- please try again later

[...]

    7. Running wu-ftpd 
       
         1. ftpd allways says "221 Server shutting down. Goodbye." 
            
            The directive ftpshut in the ftpaccess file points to a file
            that exists at that moment. Either change the directive or
            delete the file.
            
            Also, after you've used the ftpshut command, you'll need to
            remove the ftpshut file by hand.
            
[...]

                                      Grtx. KH

-- 
  Koos van den Hout,           Internetter, Unix freak and BBS SysOp at large
  [email-masked] (Home)        BBS Koos z'n Doos (+31-30-6036637 28k8)
  [email-masked] (Work)  <-- finger -l for PGPkey    (+31-30-6056619 14k4)
  http://www.hvu.nl/~koos (WWW)    Looking for a license plate with "RFC 822"
  We are root. You will be assimilated. Resistance is useless. Clickety Click

---

From: [email-masked] (Mark W. de Raad)
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 1995 20:27:29 +1030 (CST)

You (Giustino Scardovelli) wrote.......
> Hy all,
Hello :)

> 500 ftp.logos.it FTP server shut down -- please try again later

Have a look in /etc - is there a file called 'ftpshut'?

This is the file that the command ftpshut creates, and also the file
that ftpd looks for to find out if the server is open.

Simply delete /etc/ftpshut and your on your way again :)

Hope this works,

(BTW this happened to me as well, so its fairly normal I think :)

Cheers!

Mark
---
Mark W. de Raad			    			o
					             _ /-_
University of South Australia                 ......(_)>(_)
Australia

Telephone: (+6115) 717 472
In Australia: 015 717 472
For Quick response, please mail: [email-masked]

                              _\\|//_
                              ( O-O )
---------------------------o00--(_)--00o------------------------------
May Euell Gibbons eat your only copy of the manual!

---

From: Chris Woods <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 1995 09:41:45 -0500 (EST)

> to wuftpd you get the following answer...

Remove /etc/shutmsg.

    Chris Woods				Systems Administrator
    [email-masked]			USAinternet, Inc.
    http://www.usa1.com/~cjwoods	508-774-4700
  "A computer without Windows is like a fish without a bicycle."