Subject: guestgroup does not work since I installed SHADOW

From: [email-masked] (Sylvain Juteau)
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 1995 18:43:03 -0500

Hello all,

I have wu-ftpd 2.4.2 beta 5 on a Linux version 1.3.9.  I recently installed
shadow on my system and my users who have private ftp directories cannot
access it anymore!

Here is how it looks in my /etc/passwd:
guest1:x:1157:100:guest1:/home/guest1/./:/etc/ftponly

As a temporary solution, I copied the password in my shadow file and
replaced it where the 'x' was:

guest1:ENCRYPTED PASSWD:1157:100:guest1:/home/guest1/./:/etc/ftponly

Obviously the is something wrong with the shadow but what is it? I suspect
wu-ftpd because my friend has the older version (wu-ftpd 2.4) and he has no
problems and I am exactly configured like his system except that I have the
beta-5 of wu-ftpd 2.4

I recompiled wu-ftpd 2.4.2 beta 5.  But before recompiling, I edited the
config.h file and changed the following thing:
#undef SHADOW_PASSWORD
for
#define SHADOW_PASSWORD

How come it is not working when the password is shadowed?  Take note that
the rest is working perfectly. The anonymous ftp is working fine.

Can someone help me?

A votre service

*****************************************************************
 Sylvain Juteau             Lien Internet du Nord-Ouest
 1717 3 ieme avenue         (L.I.N.O.)Inc.   (President)
 Val-d'Or (Qc)              Premier fournisseur Internet en
 J9P 1W3                    Abitibi-Temiscamingue
 819-874-5665               Visitez notre page web:
 e-mail:[email-masked]    "http://lino.com"
 Tel: 819-874-5665
*****************************************************************

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 1995 17:06:30 -0600 (CST)

> the rest is working perfectly. The anonymous ftp is working fine.

change the call to crypt() to pw_encrypt().

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Michael Brennen                                      [email-masked]
FishNet, Inc.                                     http://www.fni.com/ 
P.O. Box 940451                              (214) 783-2553 (vox/fax)
Plano,  TX  75074-0451                   finger me for PGP public key