Subject: guestgroup under BSDI 2.0.x

From: Darci Chapman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 1995 16:57:42 -0800

Hello, all!

As some of you may recall, 2-3 weeks ago, I was struggling desperately
to get guestgrousp to work correctly under BSDI. The two issues that 
remained unresolved until last week were related to 'ls': 1) while group
names showed up as names, owner names showed up as numbers and 2) the
timestamps for files were in GMT instead of local time.

Despite several helpful hints from a couple of folks on this list,
I was unable to solve the above problems. However, as I was working
with another sysadmin a week or so ago, I learned about the 
"config_anonftp" utility that ships with BSDI -- this provided me
with the missing pieces I needed. 

To whomever is maintaining whatever FAQ's for this wu-ftp, please add
the following info:

Setting up guestgroup for wu-ftp under BSDI 2.0.x:

1) Read the HOWTO document (available from Michael Brennen 
<[email-masked]>)

2) The following directories and files need to be created in
whatever directory/ies are being chrooted to (~ftp for anon ftp or
for whatever directory guest users are chrooted):

drwxr-xr-x root/wheel        0 Nov  3 01:43 1995 bin/
-r-xr-xr-x root/wheel    12288 Nov  3 01:43 1995 bin/compress
-r-xr-xr-x root/wheel    45056 Nov  3 01:43 1995 bin/gzip
-r-xr-xr-x root/wheel    12288 Nov  3 01:43 1995 bin/ls
-r-xr-xr-x root/wheel    65536 Nov  3 01:43 1995 bin/pax
drwxr-xr-x root/wheel        0 Nov  3 01:43 1995 etc/
-r--r--r-- root/wheel      793 Nov  3 01:43 1995 etc/group
-r--r--r-- root/wheel      817 Nov  3 01:43 1995 etc/localtime
-r--r--r-- root/wheel    40960 Nov  3 01:43 1995 etc/pwd.db
drwxr-xr-x root/wheel        0 Feb  3 12:34 1995 pub/
drwxr-xr-x root/wheel        0 Nov  3 01:43 1995 shlib/
-r-xr-xr-x root/wheel   298407 Nov  3 01:43 1995 shlib/libc_s.2.0

The permissions above are probably NOT what you want; you should
follow previously published guidelines regarding secure permissions
(especially for anon ftp). I reccommed tackling permissions a
directory at a time and then re-testing the guest login to verify 
everything still works as expected (ie, 'ls'). If something
stops working, back out your last change!

3) Re: localtime -- I'm not clear on all the logistics of this file;
I know that it was not in the real /etc directory of the machines I am
working with but I snarfed it from another BSDI 2.0 system. I *immediately*
had to reset the system date (as root).

4) Re: pwd.db -- this files needs to be copied from the real /etc. I'm
not sure (yet) if stripped down version of passwd is required or not --
I have one in my ~ftp/etc/ directory leftover from previous attempts.
I'm fairly certain that /etc/pwd.db has to be copied to ~ftp/etc everytime
you add a new user to whatever groups you have set up with guestgroup.

Hope this helps! 

Darci Chapman

--
Darci L. Chapman Sr. Software/Firmware Consultant [email-masked]
               On loan from: Solution Logic, Inc, 503/222-0057
                 On loan to: Intel Corporation, 503/264-1419
		          http://puma.jf.intel.com

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 1995 19:55:21 -0600 (CST)

Normally I would not do this, but since I maintain the guest-group howto I
probably should send notice that my email address has changed to
[email-masked].  It used to be [email-masked].  This is 
effective as of last Friday.

Thanks to Darci Chapman for updates on BSDI; if anyone else has any 
operating system specific changes be sure and let me know, as this is the 
point where so many implementations fall down.

Michael
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Michael Brennen, President   /           /           [email-masked]
FishNet, Inc.               / Internet  /         http://www.fni.com/ 
P.O. Box 940451            /  Services /     (214) 783-2553 (vox/fax)
Plano,  TX  75074-0451    /           /  finger me for PGP public key