Subject: htm -> html ftpconversion entry

From: Darci Chapman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 1995 17:28:21 -0800

Hello,

Has anyone out there successfully used the ftpconversions file to "convert"
filenames from .htm -> .html (for example, when uploading from a DOS, 8.3
system to a Unix system). Previously suggested was:

 :.htm: :.html:/bin/cat %s:T_REG|T_ASCII:O_COMPRESS:NOTHING

But this doesn't seem to work. Any suggestions?

Cheers,
...dlc...

--
Darci L. Chapman Sr. Software/Firmware Consultant [email-masked]
               On loan from: Solution Logic, Inc, 503/222-0057
                 On loan to: Intel Corporation, 503/264-1419
		          http://puma.jf.intel.com

---

From: "Walter Reed" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 1995 15:25:21 -0800

> I told myself to stay out of this, but now I just can't help it.  Why
> do these files need to be renamed at all?  Every HTTP server I know of
> can be configured to treat *.htm files the same as *.html files.  For
> instance, the NCSA httpd looks at a file called 'mime.types' in its
> configuration directory.  In order to have *.htm map to *.html, it
> should have this line:
> 
>     text/html                      html htm
> 
> At least one of our users is using FTP on a PC to ship *.htm files into
> our Web filespace and he is not bothering to rename the files from
> *.htm to *.html and we are serving those files with no problems.

The only problem then is all the links to the *.html files inside
each HTML file.  Ex: you have a link like <a href="biff.html> and
biff.html is now called biff.htm, you have a problem.  You can solve
this by changing all your links (which you can do with sed or a perl
script) but then you have to weed out internal .htm links from
external .html links (which you can do with an intelligent perl
script).  Gets to be a nightmare if you have thousands of files.  Of
course you only have to do this conversion once... 

Yet another option is to use a PC OS that can handle long file names 
like Win95 or WinNT.  Of course finding HTML tools that support long 
file names is another matter.
---
     Walter Reed ([email-masked])