Subject: Re: AIX 3.2.5 and Incoming

From: Pete Glassenbury <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 1995 11:45:20 +1300

>    > I've tried this, but it still does not change the owner and group.
 > 
 > In order for the server to manipulate ownership of files, it must be running 
 > as root.

 I've tried it on SunOS and it only works in certain circumstances. I 
 believe there is a problem in the wu-ftpd but I didn't get any response 
 from the list or wuftp-bugs mail. (and I found a workaround that will do
 me for now)

 The server was runing as root but the disk was mounted via NFS. There
 was NO NFS problem with creating files as root in the shell but there
 WAS a problem running through wu-ftpd. The kludge fix I made was to
 have the incoming file owned by ftp (The only usercode it would allow)
 and change the mode to 000. This stops anyone reading the file out again
 and wuftpd stops people trying to create a file with a name that 
 already exists

 Not sure if this is secure but it is the best I can think of at the moment

 Pete

Peter Glassenbury   ([email-masked])
Dept. of Computer Science, University of Canterbury, Christchurch, New Zealand

The error message for those interested came up in /var/adm/messages and was
NFS write error 13  (which is permission denied). As I said -- only occurs
when writing through wuftpd -- not running as root.

---

From: Vincent Cojot <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 1995 17:50:19 -0500 (EST)

>  and wuftpd stops people trying to create a file with a name that 

I had and still have a very similar problem under solaris 2.4. FTPD runs
as root of group "bin" but whatever I put in ftpaccess the incoming files
are owned by ftp of group ftp and set with -rw-rw-r file permissions. Ftpd
version is 2.4.2 beta 4 from academ (because beta 5 had even more
problems, maybe I will try beta 7 if I have time to go through the
upgrade). 
 
> Dept. of Computer Science, University of Canterbury, Christchurch, New Zealand

,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,
Vincent S. Cojot, Computer Engineering.
Ecole Polytechnique de Montreal, Comite Micro-Informatique.
[email-masked], [email-masked]

They cannot scare me with their empty spaces
Between stars - on stars where no human race is
I have it in me so much nearer home
To scare myself with my own desert places.       - Robert Frost