Subject: Re: Disabling recursive directory listings

From: Evan Champion <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 1995 12:37:07 -0500 (EST)

At 07:39 95-11-20 +0100, you wrote:
>There is at least one FTP server I know of who patched ls not to accept
>"R" for recursive listings (but another capital letter instead). Get GNU
>ls, patch the getopt() part and there you go. People mirroring off your
>site with mirror must be told about this, however, so that they can set
>proper flags_recursive.

Speaking of this sort of thing, I have seen a number of FTP servers that use
internal 'ls' substitutes which saves you from having to fork()/exec() an ls
all the time.  Is there anywhere that I can find patches for wu-ftpd to do this?

Something like builtin 'ls' would be a good thing to add to the 2.4-academ
releases.

Evan

---

From: [email-masked] (Charles Anderson)
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 1995 13:09:00 -0600 (CST)

> Something like builtin 'ls' would be a good thing to add to the 2.4-academ
I found that I clund do an 'ls' when my ls was missing the shared library
loader, but not 'ls -la' so there has to be some sort of builtin ls.  I don't
think it supports too many options though.

-Charlie
-- 
Charles Anderson - [email-masked]

Disclaimer: They tell me disclaimers are useless, so here's mine: thhhppt...

---

From: Pat Wilson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 1995 14:34:04 +22300819

>  think it supports too many options though.

Indeed - as far as I can tell, "ls" just opens its argument (or ".") and
cats it (or stats it if it's a file).  I'd _really_ like a real "ls" in
wu-ftpd, so that I could hide dotfiles...

Pat Wilson
[email-masked]

---

From: Feisal Mohammed <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 1995 15:50:30 -0400 (AST)

Hi,

I have a problem which I have been beating my head over several weeks.
I've got wu-ftpd V2.4 running on AIX3.2.1 on three RS6000's. On two of the
machines I have no problems but on the third anonymous ftp refuses to run.
I login in ok, it accepts the password, says guest account... then
the server dies. Any command then returns with the message "server shutting 
down". I've gone through the configuration many times and still can't 
find what is wrong. I've even recompiled several times with no luck.

>From print statements that I placed in the server code I found out that it
dies when it gets into the loop that parses commands etc.

Anyone has any ideas?

-Feisal
Feisal Mohammed <[email-masked]>
Dept of Mech Eng.
University of the West Indies

---

From: Mark Eichin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 1995 15:22:54 -0500

> all the time.  Is there anywhere that I can find patches for wu-ftpd

Do they really? All I've ever seen is code to avoid the exec -- but
the fork is still done, mostly to handle quoting of CR/LF
trivially... just take gnu or bsd ls, rename main to ls(), and hook it
in. 

If someone has patches to avoid the fork as well, I'd certainly like
to see them (I don't expect it to be hard, but I've seen numerous
requests for it, and haven't seen it actually done...)

					_Mark_ <[email-masked]>
					Cygnus Support, Eastern USA