Subject: Problems with tar and

From: Prakash Hariramani <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 1995 18:48:56 -0500 (EST)

I installed wu-ftp 2.4 for Linux.  Everything seems to work fine, except
for some problems with tar and gzip (I have statically compiled the
binaries).

For example, let's say I have the following 2 files in my /pub directory
    README
    foo.tar

Since wu-ftp can tar and compress on-the-fly, I ran the following tests.
 I tried to retrieve files via anonymous ftp by:

    get foo.tar.gz
    get README.gz 

and they works fine. 

But if I try:

    get foo

I get "No such file OR directory".  Isn't wu-ftp supposed to support this?
If I try to put a local file (called dummy) 

    put dummy.gz

I get the same message.

I looked at the FAQ but did'nt find anything that would address my problem.

Below are the contents of my ftpconversions file:

 :.Z:  :  :/bin/compress -d -c %s:T_REG|T_ASCII:O_UNCOMPRESS:UNCOMPRESS
 :   : :.Z:/bin/compress -c %s:T_REG:O_COMPRESS:COMPRESS
 :.gz: :  :/bin/gzip -cd %s:T_REG|T_ASCII:O_UNCOMPRESS:GUNZIP
 :   : :.gz:/bin/gzip -9c %s:T_REG:O_COMPRESS:GZIP
 :   : :.tar:/bin/tar -cf - %s:T_REG|T_DIR:O_TAR:TAR
 :   : :.tar.gz:/bin/tar -czf - %s:T_REG|T_DIR:O_COMPRESS|O_TAR:TAR+GZIP

I would appreciate any help on this problem.  Thanking you in advance.

-- Prakash Hariramani

---

From: "R. Reginald Sprinkhuizen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 1995 19:45:27 +0100 (MET)

On Wed, 29 Nov 1995, Prakash Hariramani wrote:

> [...RUDE CUT...]

Your conversions-file does not have an entry to UNtar things!
I am not very good at creating "ftpconversions" entries (I'm very new to
wu-ftpd myself), but I think it should be something like:

  :.tar:  :  :/bin/tar -xf %s:T_REG|T_DIR:O_TAR:UNTAR

> I would appreciate any help on this problem.  Thanking you in advance.

I haven't tested this: I make it up whilst typing, but one thing is sure:
you haven't specified the "tar" extension in you conversions file.

Good luck

+---.  +---.   .----,  ==  R. Reginald Sprinkhuizen
| o  ) | o  ) (   (    ==  Reina Prinsen-Geerligspad 9
|   <  |   <   )   )   ==  3207 GN SPIJKENISSE (The Netherlands)
!_|\_\ !_|\_\ |___/    ==  +31-181-632722