Subject: Re: Disabling recursive directory listings

From: Evan Champion <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 1995 22:04:57 -0500 (EST)

At 15:22 95-11-20 -0500, you wrote:
>Do they really? All I've ever seen is code to avoid the exec -- but
>the fork is still done, mostly to handle quoting of CR/LF
>trivially... just take gnu or bsd ls, rename main to ls(), and hook it
>in. 
>
>If someone has patches to avoid the fork as well, I'd certainly like
>to see them (I don't expect it to be hard, but I've seen numerous
>requests for it, and haven't seen it actually done...)

I see forked ls's all over the place on our system.  It is a big problem
because people do 'ls -lR' in the root and then log out, leaving the ls
running sucking CPU and disk time.  We quite often have 10 or more ls's
running against dead FTP sessions.

Evan

---

From: [email-masked] (Koos van den Hout _U nix and we all_)
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 1995 10:15:39 +0100 (MET)

> running against dead FTP sessions.

Erm... doesn't closing the ftp-data socket from remote cause a SIGPIPE
in wu-ftpd that can be used to kill the forked process ?

(Just a thought)

                                            Grtx. KH

-- 
  Koos van den Hout,           Internetter, Unix freak and BBS SysOp at large
  [email-masked] (Home)        BBS Koos z'n Doos (+31-30-6036637 28k8)
  [email-masked] (Work)  <-- finger -l for PGPkey    (+31-30-6056619 14k4)
  http://www.hvu.nl/~koos (WWW)    Looking for a license plate with "RFC 822"
  We are root. You will be assimilated. Resistance is useless. Clickety Click