Subject: Compiling on IRIX 5.3

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 1995 12:26:19 -0400 (EDT)

Im trying to compile wu-ftpd on an SGI running IRIX 5.3 and according 
to the build script it is supposed to only work with IRIX V4...

	Here is the errors that I receive..

majorca 5# ./build sgi
make args are : 
make opts are : 

Linking Makefiles.
makefiles/Makefile.sgi and Makefile are identical
config/config.sgi and config.h are identical
makefiles/Makefile.sgi and Makefile are identical

Making support library.
        rm -f libsupport.a
        ar cq libsupport.a getusershell.o fnmatch.o strcasestr.o strsep.o 
authuo
        touch libsupport.a

Making ftpd.
        cc -O -DDEBUG -I.. -I../support -L../support -c ftpd.c
cfe: Warning 581: /usr/include/stdarg.h:133: Macro va_start redefined.
cfe: Warning 581: /usr/include/stdarg.h:140: Macro _VA_ALIGN redefined.
cfe: Warning 581: /usr/include/stdarg.h:146: Macro __va_stack_arg redefined.
cfe: Warning 609: ftpd.c: 2021: The number of arguments in the macro 
invocationn
cfe: Warning 609: ftpd.c: 2072: The number of arguments in the macro 
invocationn
cfe: Warning 609: ftpd.c: 2699: The number of arguments in the macro 
invocationn
cfe: Error: ftpd.c, line 143: redeclaration of 'realpath'; previous 
declaration'
  *realpath(char *pathname, char *result);
 --^
cfe: Error: ftpd.c, line 143: Incompatible type for the function parameter
  *realpath(char *pathname, char *result);
 -----------------^
cfe: Error: ftpd.c, line 2021: Syntax Error
     (ap = ((char *)& + sizeof())) ;
 ------------------------------^
cfe: Error: ftpd.c, line 2072: Syntax Error
     (ap = ((char *)& + sizeof())) ;
 ------------------------------^
cfe: Error: ftpd.c, line 2699: Syntax Error
     (ap = ((char *)& + sizeof())) ;
 ------------------------------^
*** Error code 1 (bu21)

Making ftpcount.
        cc -O -DDEBUG -I.. -I../support -L../support -o ftpcount ftpcount.c 
vert
ld:
Can't open: vers.o (No such file or directory)
*** Error code 1 (bu21)

Making ftpshut.
        cc -O -DDEBUG -I.. -I../support -L../support -o ftpshut ftpshut.c 
vers.t
ld:
Can't open: vers.o (No such file or directory)
*** Error code 1 (bu21)

Making ckconfig.
`ckconfig' is up to date.
../src/ckconfig and ckconfig are identical

Links to executables are in bin directory:
size: Error in reading object bin/ftpd
size: Error in reading object bin/ftpcount
size: Error in reading object bin/ftpshut
size: Error in reading object bin/ftpwho

Size of bin/ckconfig:5199       

        Section          Size   Physical Address      Virtual Address

          .text          1664            4196640              4196640 
          .init            32            4198304              4198304 
        .rodata          1376          268435456            268435456 
           .lib            32            4194880              4194880 
           .bss            16          268436928            268436928 
       .dynamic           192            4194688              4194688 
        .dynstr           352            4195232              4195232 
          .msym           320            4194912              4194912 
        .dynsym           624            4195584              4195584 
           .got            96          268436832            268436832 
          .hash           432            4196208              4196208 
        .interp            19            4194592              4194592 
       .compact            44                  0                    0 
Done

	Am I missing something??????

  -=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=-
  |   Miles D. Oliver - POSTMASTER    |   Network/Systems Administrator     |
  |   National Public Radio           |   W.      +1-202-414-2989           |
  |   635 Massachusetts Ave NW        |   FAX:    +1-202-414-3051           |
  |   Washington DC. 20001            |   Internet: [email-masked]         |
  |                                   |   http://www.npr.org/               |
  -=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=-
  | TECH:  Now is this a DOS or Windows product we are helping you with.... |
  | USER:       Gee.. I dont know.. Let me look at the box....              |
  -=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=-

---

From: "Ephram Cohen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 1995 11:39:03 -0700

There are two fixes to the SGI IRIX compilation that I would
like to see added to the distribution.  These concern at least IRIX 5.2
and 5.3.

	1) add the -cckr compile option to the makefiles.  This solves
vararg problems. (I believe there are three makefiles)

	2) In glob.c there is an undef'd reference, NCARGS.  It is
used on line 61.  The default for this value in IRIX 5.2 is 20480.
it is the # of bytes that can be passed during an exec call.
It's found in /var/sysgen/mtune.  This is not an include file.  It
is the system configuration file that is used to build a new kernel.
It is therefore _the_ definitive ref for this value.  It is not however
in a pretty form and must be hand-hacked into glob.c
	So, do a #define NCARGS (20480) right before it is ref'd in
glob.c

	I found this second bit of info in the online manuals, where
I am apt not to look :-).

-- 

We must prevent those commies from compromising the integrity
of our precious bodily fluids.      -Gen. Jack D. Ripper

Ephram Cohen                       [email-masked]