Subject: WU-ftp and WWW

From: [email-masked] (Uwe Willenbacher/Proctor-Willenbacher)
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 1995 11:51:32 -0700

Hi Guys,

This is my first mailing to this list, so please excuse if I ask a question
that has been answered millions of time.

I finally managed to compile the Archive for Sun Solaris, and have it
functioning like a champ:) I do not allow anonymous access, rather then to
specic clients of mine(ours).
I now would like to add access to the Archives via WWW, however, that is
where my problem starts and I would appreatiate any comment/hints.

I had the "standard-unix-ftp" working with the WWW by referencing
<ftp://[email-masked]/what ever/their/homedirectory>. Now since I
am using the WU-FTP Netscape complains :" directory...."not found"
If I log on as a "real" user, it works fine, however, as a "guest" with a
defined "guest guestgroup" it will not work.

Any help would be appreatiated...

Cheers, Uwe

                                    \\|//
                                    (o o)
==================================w===U===w================================
 |___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|
 Uwe Willenbacher      |___|___|___|___|___|___|   Fax: 415.333.5485
 Webmaster/SysAdmin      |___|___|___|___|___|     WWW: www.prowillen.com
 Proctor-Willenbacher  |___|___|___|___|___|___| eMail: [email-masked]
 |___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 1995 14:22:39 -0500 (CDT)

> specic clients of mine(ours).

That's the problem as best I know.  Netscape only knows about anonymous 
access; how would it know about the specific user name and password for 
a guest / real account?

There is a way to encode the user name and password in the URL for 
authentication to a WWW server; I have no idea if Netscape can apply this 
same process to non-WWW servers.  I rather doubt it myself.

Your only solution may be qualified anonymous access -- that is, allow 
anonymous users, but require that they originate only from specific hosts or 
networks in the ftpaccess file (your client's machines in this case).  
This is not totally access proof due to IP spoofing, but if the material 
is that sensitive you probably shouldn't have on FTP anyway.

> defined "guest guestgroup" it will not work.

Michael Brennen