Subject: guest accounts and access ?'s

From: charlie wilcox <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 1995 11:19:50 -0500

hi-
can anyone point me at a faq or some such that will give me some clues on 
setting up guest accounts for wuftp. basically I'm looking to create accounts 
that default to a particular dir and only allow access to that dir.

I have read the man pages, and I'm not sure if these needs are supported 
please forgive my unix newbieness, i'm learning as fast as i can-
[email-masked]

---

From: Haroon Taqi <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 1995 10:51:58 -0500 (CDT)

Hi,

I have noticed these messages in our log file coming from wu-ftpd 2.4 
on our ftp server:

Sep  8 06:53:36 ....   ftpd[8852]: setsockopt (SO_OOBINLINE): Broken pipe
Sep  8 06:53:36 ....   last message repeated 3 times
Sep  8 06:53:36 ....   ftpd[8852]: fcntl F_SETOWN: Broken pipe
Sep  8 06:53:36 ....   last message repeated 3 times
Sep  8 06:53:42 ....   ftpd[8852]: connection from localhost [0.0.0.0]
Sep  8 06:53:42 ....   ftpd[8852]: FTP session closed

where .... is the name of the machine. There was no login message in the
log file for this connection so these messages were apparently generated
before the person logged in. 

It is not very clear to me what this person was trying to do or what
could have caused them. Has anyone seen them before or know what they 
could possibly mean?

Thanks,
Haroon
Sys. Mgr.
WU Genetics Dept.

PS We have not received any complaints about our ftp site nor have we 
noticed any problems in downloading data from it.