Subject: Re: WU-ftp and WWW

From: [email-masked] (Uwe Willenbacher/Proctor-Willenbacher)
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 1995 11:51:24 -0700

>>On Tue, 5 Sep 1995, Uwe Willenbacher/Proctor-Willenbacher wrote:
>
>[ stuff deleted ]
>
>>ftp://[email-masked]/
>
>>anyway; they are not chroot'd to their accounts.  For some reason real
>>users don't even start initially at their login directories; they start at
>>system root.  I hope I get time in the next few days to look into this,
>>not that it is worth much.  Moral of this story: "know who your users are!"
>
>>Michael Brennen
>
>this is exactly what's supposed to happen--the url above refers to
>the root dir (for some locally defined meaning of root).

 I am sorry to "ride" on this, but my initial question seem to have beenn
lost here:

I do uderstand that that is what is supposed to happen, but it ain't. Once
again: my problem is that the whole Archive is working like a champ,
however if a guest user logs in via <ftp://[email-masked]> the
server responce is " Sorry directory "/" does not exist. I have tried all
kinds of compinations in difining pathnames and so forth, however, same
result:(
If I log in as a "real" user everything is fine. Once again the whole WWW
thing was working with the "stock" UNIX ftpd.
I finally did "snoop" into the log-in: It stops at the LIST command given
by the client
        client -> host    PASV\r\n
        host -> client   Can't open passive
        client -> host    PORT "IP-Addr here"
        host -> client   200 PORT command success
        client -> host    TYPE I\r\n
        host -> client   200 set to I. \r\n
        client -> host   CWD /\r\n
        host -> client   250 CWD command success
        client -> host   LIST\r\n
        host -> client   425 Can't build data

Any suggestions would be , once again, appreatiated...

Cheers, Uwe

                                    \\|//
                                    (o o)
==================================w===U===w================================
 |___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|
 Uwe Willenbacher      |___|___|___|___|___|___|   Fax: 415.333.5485
 Webmaster/SysAdmin      |___|___|___|___|___|     WWW: www.prowillen.com
 Proctor-Willenbacher  |___|___|___|___|___|___| eMail: [email-masked]
 |___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 1995 14:13:25 -0500 (CDT)

>         host -> client   Can't open passive

Looks like the problem right here -- a proper connection was not completed.

This may have nothing to do with the problem, but are you connecting with
a router or firewall in the middle?  If you are that may cause you
problems with PASV setup depending on the router / firewall configuration.

Michael