Subject: ls prob with gui clients

From: "Winger, Scott" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 95 08:32:00 cdt

Hi.

I've just gotten wu-ftpd V 2.4.1 running under AIX v 3.2.5 on an RS/6000 
Model C10 and it's working just as I expect for text based ftp clients. 
 Although graphical ftp clients work fine for anonymous ftp and for users 
with accounts that are not members of wu-ftpd guestgroups, users are members 
of wu-ftpd guestgroups can't see any files in any of their directories if 
they use
an ftp client with a graphical user interface.  These users can upload... 
but of course they can't download because their client reports
that there are no files in the current directory.  If they know the name of 
a subdirectory off of their login directory, they can change into it.  They 
can also change back to their login directory with cd /.

Their login directory is set to a false root by the way and I think this has 
something to do with it.

I've tried chmod 777 and chown... nothing seems to help.

Oddly if they login with a text based ftp client, none of these problems 
occur.

Does anyone have any ideas on this?

Thanks.

Scott Winger
UW-Madison, DIvision of Business Services
[email-masked]

---

From: "Steve R. Harding" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 1995 07:55:07 -0700 (PDT)

<snip>

> an ftp client with a graphical user interface.

<more snip>
> Oddly if they login with a text based ftp client, none of these problems 

You Are Not Alone...

I have the same problem running wu-ftpd V2.4 under Solaris 2.3.  If I 
find a solution I will post.  Please do the same.  The problem only 
occurs with gui clients that use a guest-group account.

I haven't tried it using anonymous yet, just guest and real users.

BTW, the gui client I am using is PCNFSpro by SunSoft.  What about yours?

Regards,
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Steve Harding                                      Email: [email-masked]
TACTech, Inc.                                      Voice: (714) 974-7676 ext.15
Yorba Linda, CA

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 1995 10:49:28 -0500 (CDT)

> I haven't tried it using anonymous yet, just guest and real users.

Almost certainly a problem with a missing ~guest/bin/ls.  Best bet is a 
statically linked ls if you can; otherwise you may need ~guest/dev and 
~guest/lib directories with appropriate entries for shared libs and 
needed devices.  I don't run Solaris, so don't know what is needed.

Somebody running Solaris want to jump in???

Michael Brennen

---

From: "Steve R. Harding" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 1995 10:09:08 -0700 (PDT)

<my own blah blah>
> Somebody running Solaris want to jump in???

Thanks f/both of your tips.  I got ls -la working on a text-based ftp 
client, but now when I use the gui client (running under Windows f/WG 
3.11), it bombs with a "NFSWFTP caused a General Protection Fault in 
module USER.EXE at 0001:39EE".

Isn't this fun?