Subject: Re: WU-ftp and WWW

From: [email-masked] (Uwe Willenbacher/Proctor-Willenbacher)
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 1995 12:48:55 -0700

>On Tue, 5 Sep 1995, Uwe Willenbacher/Proctor-Willenbacher wrote:
>
>> This is my first mailing to this list, so please excuse if I ask a question
>> that has been answered millions of time.
>>
>> I finally managed to compile the Archive for Sun Solaris, and have it
>> functioning like a champ:) I do not allow anonymous access, rather then to
>> specic clients of mine(ours).
>
>That's the problem as best I know.  Netscape only knows about anonymous
>access; how would it know about the specific user name and password for
>a guest / real account?
>
>There is a way to encode the user name and password in the URL for
>authentication to a WWW server; I have no idea if Netscape can apply this
>same process to non-WWW servers.  I rather doubt it myself.
<SNIP>

Netscape can destinclisch between anonymous and "real" by specifying the
username in the URL i.e.:

         <A HREF="[email-masked]/pathname/of/user"></A>

Well the whole point is that my ftp site was working with the standard ftp
deamon.
Only since I upgraded, it will not work..The complain I get is that the
direcory does not exist:(
Could it have to do with the chroot()?-and how could I alter that?

Sorry, but I'd rather use the WU-FTP, since it "blocks" my clients from
snooping aroud on my UNIX Box. It is also more stable for them, since they
really could get lost in the UNIX file hierachy...

Thanks again for any suggestions...

Cheers, Uwe

                                    \\|//
                                    (o o)
==================================w===U===w================================
 |___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|
 Uwe Willenbacher      |___|___|___|___|___|___|   Fax: 415.333.5485
 Webmaster/SysAdmin      |___|___|___|___|___|     WWW: www.prowillen.com
 Proctor-Willenbacher  |___|___|___|___|___|___| eMail: [email-masked]
 |___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 1995 10:34:42 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 5 Sep 1995, Uwe Willenbacher/Proctor-Willenbacher wrote:
> deamon.  Only since I upgraded, it will not work..The complain I get is 
> that the direcory does not exist:(  Could it have to do with the 
> chroot()?-and how could I alter that?

I played with this last night in a more secure environment than is
available to me during the day, and it in fact does work.  (Netscape 1.1 
-- others probably do too, I just don't have them to test.)

First, the link must have "ftp://" on the front; otherwise Netscape
assumes "http://", which is not what you want. 

Another trick I found was to leave the path off.  Thus, to log in as a
real, guest or anonymous user, enter the following: 

ftp://[email-masked]/

ftp://[email-masked]/

ftp://[email-masked]/

I have to admit that I nearly fell over when I logged in as a real user
through Netscape and saw my root directory pop up in the Netscape window. 
It took me a few minutes to realize that real users have that access
anyway; they are not chroot'd to their accounts.  For some reason real
users don't even start initially at their login directories; they start at
system root.  I hope I get time in the next few days to look into this,
not that it is worth much.  Moral of this story: "know who your users are!" 

Guest users come up chroot'd to their login directories as they should.
Any path given should be the path desired *below the chroot'd login point*.

Michael Brennen

---

From: Reed Wade <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 1995 11:46:44 -0400

>On Tue, 5 Sep 1995, Uwe Willenbacher/Proctor-Willenbacher wrote:

[ stuff deleted ]

>Michael Brennen

this is exactly what's supposed to happen--the url above refers to
the root dir (for some locally defined meaning of root).

-reed

-----
University of Tennessee, Knoxville            Dept of Computer Science
Netlib Development Group         'Dust--is round off error.' says geek
[email-masked] -- <URL:http://www.netlib.org/utk/people/ReedWade.html>