Subject: wu-ftpd timezone problem

From: Jason Patterson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 1995 03:03:57 +1000

Hi All,

I'm running wu-ftpd on a SPARC running Solaris 2.4.

The problem is that ftpd seems to think the timezone is GMT (ie +0), but
it is actually +1000 (Australian east coast). You can tell it gets the
timezone wrong by looking at the times recorded in the xferlog file, and
the %T value in the welcome message.

All the other network services and normal applications get the timezone
correct.

So what could be confusing wu-ftpd? Does it get the timezone some strange
non-standard way? Is it compiled into the executable as a define which I
missed when I installed it? Is this problem something to do with being
forked from inetd?

If not, and other ideas...??

I really doubt that I'm the first person to come across this problem,
since I run a very standard setup...

JASON PATTERSON ([email-masked],http://www.reflections.com.au/~jason)

  Imagine that CRAY decides to make a personal computer. It contains 16
  `Alpha' based processors executing in parallel, has 800 megabytes of RAM,
  9 Gigabytes of disk storage, a resolution of 4096 x 4096 pixels, does
  24bit 3D graphics in realtime, relies entirely on voice recognition for
  input, fits in your shirt pocket and costs $300. What is the first
  question the computer community asks?
  
  "Is it DOS compatible?"

---

From: Russell Street <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 1995 09:06:41 +1200 (NZT)

You are probably compiling with the 'fiddle with ARGV option'
(SETPROCTITLE) erronously set.  This hack does NOT work on SysV
machines and one of the side effects is to wipe out the enviroment
variables, i.e., TZ...

Unset it and see if you spring into the right timezone.

Cheers
Russell

---

From: Luc Desrosiers <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 1995 21:11:45 -0400

> Unset it and see if you spring into the right timezone.

make sure as well to have ~ftp/usr/share/lib/zoneinfo/... if
you use dynamicly linked ls.

As Tom Leach said on august 29:

> For people who are having problems with ls -al and dir on solaris 2.x systems,
> you might try the following to find out what's missing...
> 
> truss -f chroot ~ftp /bin/ls

is very effective to see what's missing.

Luc Desrosiers
CIRISQ, CRIM