Subject: Solaris 2.4 and chroot and /dev/zero

From: [email-masked] (Torbj\vrn Wictorin)
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 1995 15:42:00 +0200

Hello!
   I have a small(?) problem. WuFtpd under SunOS 5.4 chrooted
requires /dev/zero and /dev/tcp as described in the installation
instructions.
But it does not work.
I get No such device or address.

It it anyone who knows a bit about solaris who knows why?
It way easyier under SunOS...
/torbjorn Wictorin <[email-masked]>

---

From: Russell Street <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 1995 09:00:02 +1200 (NZT)

> I get No such device or address.

Sounds strange.  An ls -lR on my tree looks like the below.  Try to
make yours look like mine, including all the permissions on the files.

This was built using the instructions in the Solaris man pages and it
worked first time.

You could also try:

	chroot ~ftp /bin/sh
	echo test > /dev/zero

and see what error messages you get out of that.

Cheers
Russell

# ls -lR ~ftp
total 6842
d--x--x--x   2 root     root         512 Jul 13 18:30 bin
d--x--x--x   2 root     root         512 Oct 13  1994 dev
d--x--x--x   2 root     root         512 Oct 13  1994 etc
d--x--x--x   3 root     root         512 Oct 13  1994 usr

/ftp/bin:
total 382
---x--x--x   2 root     root       60640 May  7 13:45 compress
---x--x--x   2 root     root       60640 May  7 13:45 gzip
---x--x--x   1 root     root       19916 Mar 28  1994 ls
---x--x--x   1 root     root        3256 Aug  9  1994 pwd
---x--x--x   1 root     root       47740 Aug  9  1994 tar

/ftp/dev:
total 0
crw-rw-rw-   1 root     root      11, 42 Mar 28  1994 tcp
crw-rw-rw-   1 root     root      11,  9 Mar 28  1994 ticotsord
crw-rw-rw-   1 root     root      11, 41 Mar 28  1994 udp
crw-rw-rw-   1 root     root      13, 12 Mar 28  1994 zero

/ftp/etc:
total 8
-r--r--r--   1 root     root         199 Oct 12  1994 allowed.filenames
-r--r--r--   1 root     root          34 Oct 12  1994 group
-r--r--r--   1 root     root         643 Oct 12  1994 netconfig
-r--r--r--   1 root     root         337 Oct 12  1994 passwd

/ftp/usr:
total 4
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           6 Jul 14 08:02 bin -> ../bin
d--x--x--x   2 root     root         512 Oct 13  1994 lib

/ftp/usr/lib:
total 2804
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     root       24576 Mar 28  1994 ld.so
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     root       90312 Mar 28  1994 ld.so.1
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     root      563684 Mar 28  1994 libc.so.1
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     root        3296 Mar 28  1994 libdl.so.1
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     root       12764 Mar 28  1994 libintl.so.1
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     root      482984 Mar 28  1994 libnsl.so.1
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     root       76088 Mar 28  1994 libsocket.so.1
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     root       33052 Mar 28  1994 libw.so
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     root       33052 Mar 28  1994 libw.so.1
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     root       10496 Mar 28  1994 nss_dns.so.1
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     root       16304 Mar 28  1994 nss_files.so.1
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     root       25584 Mar 28  1994 nss_nis.so.1
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     root       28828 Mar 28  1994 nss_nisplus.so.1
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     root        9264 Mar 28  1994 straddr.so.2