Subject: Re: Help with Groups

From: Yanming PENG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 95 23:57:10 WETDST

> 
> 
> I recently posted this same question and have not heard back other than
> from people that say "I've asked the same question, tell me if you find
> out the answer." I did receive a message from someone who said he needed
> more information and that autogroup was probably not needed, but I have
> not heard back from him after giving him more information.
> 
> Maybe what we are trying to do what can't be done, but maybe myself and 
> others haven't explained what we want in layman's terms. I'll assume the
> latter, so here goes:
> 
> I have setup three users - Moe, Larry, and Curly. Each of these users'
> primary group is named 'stooge'. The 'stooge' group is defined as a
> guestgroup which gives Moe, Larry, and Curly restricted access to their
> home directory called /numskulls.
> 
> Below the directory /numskulls there are three directories called
> /numskulls/yuk-yuk, /numskulls/bad-hair, and /numskulls/poke-n-eye. 
> Now I want to set up the users Moe, Larry, and Curly with different
> accesses to these directories. Say, Moe with access to poke-n-eye and
> bad-hair and no access to yuk-yuk. Larry with access to bad-hair and no
> access to yuk-yuk and poke-n-eye. And Curly with access to yuk-yuk and 
> no access to bad-hair and poke-n-eye.
> 
Great a group in /etc, say "shared", add Moe and Larry to this group.
bad-hair  owned by Larry, group shared, mode=770
poke-neye owend by Moe,   group stooge, mode=700
yuk-yuk   owend by Curly, group stooge, mode=700

Disable chown if your system allow regular user to use it.

> Is this possible using the access permissions, user and group setups, 
> and wu-ftpd capabilities? If this is not possible, myself and others 

It seems nothing to do with wu-ftpd capabilities.

> will have to live with what we have. If it is, then I would like an
> answer so that my superiors will stop bugging mw to fix this problem.
> 
> I hope this explains the problem myself and others want solved.
> 
> 
> Steve
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------
>      Steve Womble                              [email-masked]
> 
--
Yanming PENG

---

From: "Steven K. Womble" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 95 17:14:18 -0600

I have been trying to get this group access thing to work with no success.
The reason it still doesn't work is that wu-ftp does not recognize the 
group permissions on directories or files. It only recognizes the owner
and world directory/file permissions. I don't know if this is a problem
associated with the AIX version that I am running or it is this way across
all platforms. 

But on my system, if I set a directory to rwxrwx--- and have it owned by
root and group owned by a group named 'shared', and have a user that is 
a member of the group 'shared' try to cd to that directory, I get a
'Permission denied' error. As soon as I change the access permissions for
world, I can access the directory. 

Is this the way it is suppose to work?

Steve

>>:  > 

     --
     Yanming PENG

>>: