Subject: Re: building wu-ftpd for solaris

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 95 11:53:04 PDT

I just finished a successful build under Solaris 2.4 with the GNU packages.

I found it was necessary to put /usr/ccs/bin in the path before /opt/gnu/bin,
as the version of "ar" supplied with the Gnu tools kept silently building me
a library which, when linked against, said "no symbols".  I also found it
necessary to create a dummy "yacc" which was just "bison -y" in order to get
past that whammy in the build script.  All in all, an annoying and
frustrating process compared to the couple of hours I spent building it on
SunOS 4.x.  At least I had the working 4.x setup to convince me that it was
posssible! 

Cheers,
_Strata

*************************************************************************
PGP-- Phil Gets Prosecuted (Persecuted?)  Support the Zimmerman Legal
Legal Defense Fund ==> Email: [email-masked] http://www.netresponse.com/zldf
*************************************************************************
                                INTERNET
                Installations, Training, Publishing, Security
M. Strata Rose           408-733-UNIX (8649)            [email-masked]
*************************************************************************

---

From: [email-masked] (Robert R. Hardesty)
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 1995 11:04:08 +0800

> From [email-masked] Wed Sep 20 11:14 PDT 1995
> Date: Wed, 20 Sep 1995 13:10:37 -0500
> From: [email-masked] (Harry Plantinga)
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: building wu-ftpd for solaris
> Mime-Version: 1.0
> X-Sender: [email-masked]
> X-Listprocessor-Version: 7.1 -- ListProcessor by CREN
> 
> I wasn't able to build wu-ftpd 2.4 for solaris 2.4 on a sparcstation 5 (I
> don't have Sun's C compiler, only gcc).
> 
> Are pre-built executables available, or does anyone have some pointers
> on how I might succeed?

I sort of had the same problem.  I cheated and found a version that of 1.4
that would compile using gcc on Solaris 2.3.  I have a copy of it at:

	ftp.hardlink.com/pub/unix/ftp/wu-ftpd-2.4-academ.tar.Z

It worked for me.

Regards,

Robert R. Hardesty                    _  _             _ _ _      _   
[email-masked]                | || |The Internet | (_)_ _ | |__
http://www.hardlink.com              | __ / _` | '_/ _` | | | ' \| / /
Free Internet Access (510) 371-6986  |_||_\__,_|_| \__,_|_|_|_||_|_\_\

---

From: [email-masked] (Harry Plantinga)
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 1995 13:16:03 -0500

>	ftp.hardlink.com/pub/unix/ftp/wu-ftpd-2.4-academ.tar.Z

Thanks for your reply.  I found a patch file to make it work via anonymous
FTP on ftp.fwi.uva.nl.

-Harry

--------------------------------------------------
Harry Plantinga        Math/Computer Science
[email-masked]        Wheaton College
(708) 752-5875         Wheaton, IL 60187
Web home page:         http://www.wheaton.edu/~whp
--------------------------------------------------