Subject: Re: WU-ftp and WWW

From: [email-masked] (Uwe Willenbacher/Proctor-Willenbacher)
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 1995 12:39:13 -0700

>On Wed, 6 Sep 1995, Uwe Willenbacher/Proctor-Willenbacher wrote:
>
>> I finally did "snoop" into the log-in: It stops at the LIST command given
>> by the client
>>         client -> host    PASV\r\n
>>         host -> client   Can't open passive
>
>Michael Brennen responded:
>
>Looks like the problem right here -- a proper connection was not completed.
>
>This may have nothing to do with the problem, but are you connecting with
>a router or firewall in the middle?  If you are that may cause you
>problems with PASV setup depending on the router / firewall configuration.

Definetly no firewall. If I log in as a "REAL" User snoop look's like this:
        client -> host    PASV\r\n
        host -> client   227 Entering Passive

This is all done on the same machine, just changing the username. I am
speech/clueless...

Cheers, Uwe

                                    \\|//
                                    (o o)
==================================w===U===w================================
 |___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|
 Uwe Willenbacher      |___|___|___|___|___|___|   Fax: 415.333.5485
 Webmaster/SysAdmin      |___|___|___|___|___|     WWW: www.prowillen.com
 Proctor-Willenbacher  |___|___|___|___|___|___| eMail: [email-masked]
 |___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 1995 14:49:26 -0500 (CDT)

> >Looks like the problem right here -- a proper connection was not completed.

<clip>

> This is all done on the same machine, just changing the username. I am

That's right - my slip, as you had already noted that.

Does guest login work when you use an ordinary ftp client instead of
Netscape?  I suspect there is something more fundamental that is wrong
with your guest setup.  You probably said before, but what is the OS you 
are running?

Michael