Subject: Making ftpd

From: Jim Murrell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 1995 23:58:46 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,
   I'm new to this list as well as to wu-ftpd which I ftp'd and tried 
installing today with the following result:
_____________________________________________________________________________
Making ftpd.
gcc -g -DDEBUG -I.. -I../support -L../support   -c ftpd.c
ftpd.c: In function `statcmd':
ftpd.c:1972: `typenames' undeclared (first use this function)
ftpd.c:1972: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
ftpd.c:1972: for each function it appears in.)
ftpd.c:1974: `formnames' undeclared (first use this function)
ftpd.c:1982: `strunames' undeclared (first use this function)
ftpd.c:1982: `modenames' undeclared (first use this function)
make: *** [ftpd.o] Error 1
Making ftpcount.
gcc -g -DDEBUG -I.. -I../support -L../support -o ftpcount ftpcount.c 
vers.c -lsupport -lsocket -lnsl -lgen

Making ftpshut.
gcc -g -DDEBUG -I.. -I../support -L../support -o ftpshut ftpshut.c vers.c 
-lsupport -lsocket -lnsl -lgen

Making ckconfig.
make: `ckconfig' is up to date.
ln: ../src/ckconfig and ckconfig are identical

Links to executables are in bin directory:
size: bin/ftpd: cannot open
bin/ftpcount: 7698 + 716 + 860 = 9274
bin/ftpshut: 6492 + 556 + 340 = 7388
bin/ftpwho: 7698 + 716 + 860 = 9274
bin/ckconfig: 3912 + 320 + 328 = 4560
Done
__________________________________________________________________________________

I was unable to find source for the four unresolved functions.  Did I 
fail to get something that I was supposed to get?

Thanks,
[email-masked]

---

From: Tim Villa - ECS <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 1995 12:13:55 +0800 (WST)

> installing today with the following result:
[...]
> fail to get something that I was supposed to get?
Not sure if this is what is causing your problem but there's a header
file that often needs replacing.  From the INSTALL file (line 64 in 2.4):

    If cc complains about strunames, typenames, modenames, ... being
    undefined you need to install support/ftp.h as /usr/include/arpa/ftp.h
    (always make a backup of the old ftp.h just in case!) and do the build
    again.  The new ftp.h should be a compatible superset of your existing
    ftp.h, so you shouldn't have problems with this replacement.

Hope this is useful..

Tim
-- 
Tim Villa                   Faculties of Economics & Commerce, Education and Law
Network/Systems officer            The University of Western Australia    _-@
Phone: +61-9-380-1796                              Fax: +61-9-380-1068  --\ \,)
email: [email-masked]     http://www.ecel.uwa.edu.au:80/~tim/tim/  (*)'~(*)

---

From: Dan Foster <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 1995 01:22:39 -0400 (EDT)

> installing today with the following result:

Same here.

[deletia]
 
> fail to get something that I was supposed to get?

This is a me-too post, sorta. :) How do you compile it for Linux under
1.2.13 (or 1.2.x/1.3.x kernels, for that matter)? I see it was known
to work under Linux 0.99pl18 (or so), with gcc2.3.x and old libs. I
think a few header files are tripping me up... If nobody knows the
proper procedure/files to modify/add/delete for building ftp under
Linux, I'll post more specifics (error messages, etc.)

Many thanks! :)

-Dan

---

From: Vincent Cojot <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 1995 20:25:13 -0400 (EDT)

Hi everyone,

I am sorry if this has been asked before but I still need a little help 
working with wu-ftpd under Linux. Everything compiles fine, runs fine, 
transfers fine, anonymous and real users are happy, except for this:

I can 'get' 'dir.tgz' or 'dir.tar.gz' fine but when I try:

'get file.gz', I get: cannot GZIP plain files.

'get file.Z', I get: cannot COMPRESS plain files.

It happens for anonymous, real and root users...

If anyone has an idea to help this to working, I would really apreciate 
it. Thank you very much for reading this.

(I tried several 1.2.x kernels and 1.3.25-29 kernels..and it still does 
not work..)

Vincent
_________________________________________________________________________
Vincent S. Cojot, Computer Engineering.
Ecole Polytechnique de Montreal, Comite Micro-Informatique.
[email-masked], [email-masked]

They cannot scare me with their empty spaces
Between stars - on stars where no human race is
I have it in me so much nearer home
To scare myself with my own desert places.       - Robert Frost