Subject: Socket errors on SCO

From: Joe McGuckin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 1995 00:16:06 -0700

I'm running a precompiled wu-ftpd ona SCO box (version 3.2).

I'm trying to set the system up for restricted access. I want to 
allow users to access *ONLY* their home directories. Not wanting to
have to put /bin and /etc in each users dir, I've moved the chroot
root dir one level above the users home dirs.

So, in the ftpaccess file I have 
  guestgroup vcs

and a typical password entry is:
    jm:x:369:50:Joe McGuckin:/u/./jm:/bin/ksh

and I have a /etc and a /bin dir under /u:

# ls -l /u/bin
total 164
---x--x--x   1 root     other      23672 Aug 30 23:05 ls*
---x--x--x   1 root     other       4004 Aug 31 00:29 pwd*
-rwx--x--x   1 root     other      52964 Aug 31 00:28 sh*

When I log in I see:

ftp bbs.vcsnet.com
Connected to bbs.vcsnet.com.
220 VCSsc.vcssc.com FTP server (Version wu-2.4(2) Wed Jun 22 16:28:36 PDT 1994) ready.
Name (bbs.vcsnet.com:joe): jm
331 Password required for jm.
Password:
230 User jm logged in.  Access restrictions apply.
ftp> ls
200 PORT command successful.
425 Can't create data socket (0.0.0.0,20): Bad file number.

What's causing this?

-joe

---

From: [email-masked] (Kari Hakkinen)
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 1995 10:37:57 +0300 (EETDST)

> I'm running a precompiled wu-ftpd ona SCO box (version 3.2).
[some stuff deleted...]
> 425 Can't create data socket (0.0.0.0,20): Bad file number.
I had exactly the same error on our SCO 3.2v4.2 before I created directories
~ftp/dev and ~ftp/shlib and put the necessary files there.

You have step by step instructions in manual 'SCO TCP/IP Runtime System for
SCO UNIX Systems: User's and Administrator's Guide'. It is in section
'Network administration'.

Hope this helps,
Kari

P.S. This is third time I answer this same question. We really need a FAQ.
-- 
Kari Hakkinen                Internet:  [email-masked]
Relatech Ltd                 Tel:       +358-41-650205
Jyvaskyla FINLAND            Fax:       +358-41-650120