Subject: More on guestgroups

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 1995 16:25:59 -0500 (CDT)

I just added the following to the guestgroup how-to.  The indented text
is existing text; it is there to give a reference.  The new stuff is on 
hard and soft links and permissions on utilities.

>cp /.../bin/ls bin
chmod 111 bin/ls

>Optional for on the fly compression and tar:

>cp /.../bin/gzip bin
>cp /.../bin/tar  bin
chmod 111 bin/gzip
chmod 111 bin/tar

>If the utilities are not static, create the necessary devices in ~/dev and
>copy the necessary libraries into ~/lib.  Check the man page for ftpd that
>comes with your system; it may be of help.

REGARDING HARD AND SOFT/SYMBOLIC LINKS:

The chroot() obviates the use of soft links in this case.  However, it
it is possible to make these hard links back to the master copy of the
utilities rather than copies.  This can save some disk space if that is
a concern.

Michael