Subject: Wu-ftpd with built in ls.

From: [email-masked] (Nick Christenson)
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 1995 18:52:17 -0700 (PDT)

I looked in several places and couldn't find out how to build wu-ftpd
with built in ls, although I notice that several sites around the net
have it.  Is there a standard configuration or set of patches that allows 
one to build this in?  

Thanks in advance.

-- 
Nick Christenson
[email-masked]

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 1995 10:08:26 -0500 (CDT)

> have it.  Is there a standard configuration or set of patches that allows 

Comes with plain "ls" built in.  If you want "dir" or "ls -l" to 
work in anonymous or guest environments you have to install an external 
~/bin/ls program with appropriate ~/etc, ~/lib and ~/dev entries.

If you need more contact me directly.

Michael Brennen
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Nick Christenson)
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 1995 11:29:13 -0700 (PDT)

> If you need more contact me directly.

Okay, since you volunteered :-)  I know about this, what I want to do
is eliminate the need for a bin directory altogether by merging the ls
binary in with the wu-ftpd daemon.  We have many guest user accounts
with seperate home directories (chrooted) which means many bin directories
(and dev and lib if ls isn't statically linked) and I'd really like to 
eliminate them.  

Any suggestions?

-- 
Nick Christenson
[email-masked]

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 1995 13:50:01 -0500 (CDT)

> (and dev and lib if ls isn't statically linked) and I'd really like to 

Sounds like source hack time to me.  If you want to avoid this, one way to
eliminate most of the space requirement is to make ~/bin/ls a hard inode
link back to a single copy of a static ls.  Doesn't eliminate the
directory structure, but does release most of the space.  You may know
about that too.  Oh well....

Actually, to make that process easier I wrote a perl script that builds
all that mess for me.  I prefer to run an unpersonally hacked daemon as I
get the updates in place with less work. 

Michael