Subject: real ftp users on AIX

From: Nickell Charles F <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 1995 08:36:26 -0500 (CDT)

I am helping the systems administrator here and we're having a problem.

We have anonymous ftp set up on two machines, NIC and URSA.  On NIC 
everything works fine.  But on URSA, while we can ftp in as anonymous
with no problem, we cannot ftp as user.  

The two machines are the same, both with AIX3.2.5.  Do you have any
suggestions as to the source of this problem?

Thanks in advance.

---

From: "Brendan Martin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 1995 10:19:05 -0400

On Sep 26,  8:36, Nickell Charles F wrote:
>-- End of excerpt from Nickell Charles F

I ran into this on AIX also.  The problem I had was that AIX doesn't
use a /etc/shells file.  Instead, valid shells are listed in
/etc/security/login.cfg.  You will need to build a /etc/shells file
from the shells stanza in the login.cfg file.  Put each valid shell on
a line by itself.  That took care of my problem.

-- 
--- The opinions I express are not necessarily shared by anyone else. ---
Brendan E. Martin, Systems Administrator     VOICE:  (770) 442-7595
Dickens Data Systems, Inc.                   FAX:    (770) 442-7525
1175 Northmeadow Parkway Suite 150
Roswell, GA 30076-3857                       email:  [email-masked]

---

From: Tien Dao <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 1995 09:28:36 +1000 (EST)

Have you checked whethe there is an entry for '/bin/ksh' in /etc/shells.
This is one of the most easily overlooked things when running wuftp under
AIX.

Tien
Sys Admin
Nationla Library of Australia