Subject: Re: Idea why 'dir' does not work while 'ls' does?

From: [email-masked] (Harald Milz)
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 1995 09:11:52 +0200 (MET DST)

To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Idea why 'dir' does not work while 'ls' does?
Newsgroups: local.ml.wu-ftpd
Organization: Harry's Box
X-Newsreader: TIN [UNIX 1.3 941220BETA PL0]

In group local.ml.wu-ftpd you wrote:

> ftp> dir
> 200 PORT command successful.
> 150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for /bin/ls.
 
...

> ftp> ls
> 200 PORT command successful.
> 150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for file list.

Isn't "ls" an internal command whereas for "ls -al" aka "dir" /bin/ls
is executed? Are you sure a) /bin/ls is statically linked or b) you
correctly installed the shared libs and, if needed, the dynamic linker
for /bin/ls? 

-- 
Harald Milz ([email-masked]), iX Multiuser Multitasking Magazine
Disclaimer: I apologize for my broken From: and Reply-To: headers. This is 
caused by a strange sendmail setup which I am not responsible for. 
Hopefully it will be fixed soon. If in doubt, reply to [email-masked].