Subject: Re: Compile wu-ftpd on linux

From: [email-masked] (Harald Milz)
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 1995 08:55:10 +0200 (MET DST)

Subject: Re: Compile wu-ftpd on linux
To: [email-masked]
Organization: Harry's Box

Marco Ottella ([email-masked]) wrote:

> Making ftpd.
> gcc -O2 -I.. -I../support -I/usr/include/bsd -I/usr/include/netinet
> -L../support  -o ftpd vers.o ftpd.o ftpcmd.o glob.o logwtmp.o popen.o
> access.o extensions.o r ealpath.o acl.o private.o authenticate.o
> conversions.o hostacc.o -lbsd -lsupport
> ftpd.o: Undefined symbol _getspnam referenced from text segment
> make: *** [ftpd] Error 1

> What does it mean? Where can I get this _getspnam?

getspnam() is the GNU shadow replacement for getpwnam(). Simply link
with the shadow library, and you're done (-lshadow). If you don't have
shadow passwords, there is a configuration option in one of the config
files, dunno which.  "grep SHADOW *" in the top directory should give
you an idea.

Ciao,
hm

---

From: [email-masked] (Harald Milz)
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 1995 21:00:06 +0200 (MET DST)

Riku Saikkonen ([email-masked]) wrote:
> know? See if /usr/lib/libshadow.* exists, or look at /etc/passwd and see if
> it has encrypted passwords in it.)

The latter points in the wrong direction. If encrypted passwords are in 
/etc/passwd, there's probably _no_ shadow package installed. You probably
do have shadow passwords if there is /etc/shadow, though.