Subject: On-the-fly comp/decomp YET AGAIN

From: Marc Russell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 1995 08:59:07 -0700 (PDT)

And, since I still have received no valuable info, here's the trouble 
again.  NOte that I've checked all the libraries, permissions, 
recompiled, etc.  I've even made sure ftpaccess is being read by adding 
the -a flag to the inetd entry.  I'm going nuts over this.  Can anyone help?

marc
---------
[email-masked]		        
[email-masked] [Washington State Information Exchange (InfoX)]  

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 1995 09:06:01 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Russell <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: On-the-fly comp/decomp

Hi there.  Last week I posted this problem, and received a single 
response, which did not help.  So here I go again.

I've set up ftpconversions with WU 2.4 (standard version, patched to 
allow the passive conenctions required by Web browsers) on Solaris 2.3.  
For a while, my conversions worked fine.  Now they don't.  I don't know 
if I've just completely forgotten the syntax for using them, or what.  
The executables are all in ~ftp/bin, ~ftp/bin is set at 111, my ftpaccess 
file has the following entries:

uncompress yes * 
compress yes * 
tar yes *

and my ftpconversions file is set up like this:

:.Z:  :  :/bin/compress -d -c %s:T_REG|T_ASCII:O_UNCOMPRESS:UNCOMPRESS
 :   : :.Z:/bin/compress -c %s:T_REG|T_ASCII:O_COMPRESS:COMPRESS
 :.gz: :  :/bin/gzip -d -c %s:T_REG|T_ASCII:O_UNCOMPRESS:GUNZIP
 :   : :.gz:/bin/gzip -9 -c %s:T_REG|T_ASCII:O_COMPRESS:GZIP
 :   : :.tar:/bin/tar -c -f - %s:T_REG|T_DIR:O_TAR:TAR
 :   : :.tar.Z:/bin/tar -c -Z -f - %s:T_REG|T_DIR:O_COMPRESS|O_TAR:TAR+COMPRESS
 :   : :.tar.gz:/bin/tar -c -z -f - %s:T_REG|T_DIR:O_COMPRESS|O_TAR:TAR+GZIP
 :.zip: : :/bin/unzip %s:T_REG|T_ASCII|T_DIR:O_UNCOMPRESS:UNZIP
 :   : : .zip:/bin/zip -9 %s:T_REG|T_DIR|T_ASCII:O_COMPRESS:ZIP

When I try to get the file ls-lR.Z to come over as an ASCII file rather 
tha compressed, I've been doing this:

ftp> get ls-lR

The way I understand the conversions, if the file ls-lR.Z exists in 
the current directory, then getting the file ls-lR should tell wuftpd to 
give me the uncompressed ls-lR.Z.  Is this right?

Thanks in advance!

marc russell
------------------
[email-masked]
[email-masked]