Subject: restricting wu-ftpd to only one site

From: Joe DeBattista <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 1995 08:18:16 -0700 (PDT)

Greetings,
    I'm in the process of bringing up wu-ftpd 2.4 on one of my RS/6000s 
running AIX 3.2.5.  I'm interested in setting up this ftp site for 
campus-only access for the storage of site-license software.  I found the 
entry for denying sites in ftpaccess, but how do you say only allow users in 
from a few specific addresses?

I tried finding an FAQ for this list, but couldn't find one.  Please let 
me know if one exists.   Thanks.

                                     Joe DeBattista
                                     UCSF, ITS Computing Facility
                          INTERNET:  [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Joshua Krage)
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 1995 12:34:39 -0400

> from a few specific addresses?

First set up your ftpaccess to only allow connections from the specific
addresses you want to allow.  If all of the allowed users will be accessing
the same files, and don't need different access levels, then it sounds like
you need to use the group/class features of wu-ftpd.  I havn't needed to
use them, so I can't give you specific instructions, but at least you know
where to look. :)  If I understand them correctly, then you can use the
private keyword to give the anon user access to a particular group via the
SITE GROUP and SITE GPASS commands (which the user must execute to get the
enhanced access).  You'll have to create a /etc/ftpgroups file.  This is
described in the ftpaccess man page.

> me know if one exists.   Thanks.

A FAQ list does not exist, though someone may be volunteering soon.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Joshua Krage                                       [email-masked]
Network Administrator       SCIENTECH, Inc.      (301) 468-6425 (Voice)

---

From: Yanming PENG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 95 22:32:07 WETDST

> from a few specific addresses?
The easiest way is to get tcp wrapper, it is designed to do such jobs.

> me know if one exists.   Thanks.
FAQ does not exist, but (old) archives do exist (through web page):
http://fegmania.wustl.edu/ftp.html

--
Yanming PENG