Subject: Re: your mail

From: Greg Gallagher <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 1995 15:30:20 -0500 (CDT)

Greetings,

just recently I changed my Linux system, running 1.2.x, which is 
shadowded with the shadow-3.3.1(-2) package.  I was running fine, and 
recompiled the ftpd for shadow support when I shadowded.  No problem.  
Now I've recompiled the shadow-3.3.1 package so DOUBLE (or something) is 
defined, letting shadowded passwords be up to 16 characters.  Well, it 
works fine for login, but now you cannot ftp in if your password is 
greater than 8.  Did I miss some definition or patch for this?  Is this a 
known problem or what?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Reguards,

Greg Gallagher

---

From: [email-masked] (Koos van den Hout _U nix and we all_)
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 95 22:44:45 MET DST

> greater than 8.  Did I miss some definition or patch for this?  Is this a 

It is starting to be a FAQ. It has been asked a couple of times lately.

Anyway, the solution is to replace the call to crypt() in ftpd.c to a
call to pw_encrypt().

                                             Grtx. KH

-- 
  Koos van den Hout,           Internetter, Unix freak and BBS SysOp at large
  [email-masked] (Home)        BBS Koos z'n Doos (+31-3402-36637 28k8)
  [email-masked] (Work)  <-- finger for PGPkey       (+31-3402-56619 14k4)
  http://www.hvu.nl/~koos (WWW)    Looking for a license plate with "RFC 822"
  GCS d- p(-) c++(+++) l+ u+++ e++ m+(-) s+/- !n h f+ g+ w(++) t+ r !y(*)