Subject: Questions about logging

From: Darci Chapman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 1995 15:16:44 -0700

Greetings, all!

It seems my last question stumped all of you :-) (no responses) so I'm 
really hoping someone can help me with this:

I need to generate reports on all ftp accesses: commands, logins, logouts,
and transfers (puts and gets). From what I've been able to dig up so far,
it appears that this information is spread across three files but not all
of it is located in a single file. Is this correct? If not, how can I
configure wu-ftpd to log all this info into a single file? Also, are there
any public domain programs that does any statistics/reporting on ftp logging
files?

Thanks in advance!

...dlc...

--
Darci L. Chapman Sr. Software/Firmware Consultant [email-masked]
               On loan from: Solution Logic, Inc, 503/222-0057
                 On loan to: Intel Corporation, 503/264-1419
		          http://puma.jf.intel.com

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 95 16:57:48 pst

The information is in 2 log files ( the access log and the command log ). 
you would need to change the code of WU-FTP to get all of this to log to a 
single file.

The access log is usually "xferlog" and this contains a log of all file 
transfers. There are a few statistic programs for this log including my own 
"iisstat". You can get more information about iisstat at 
ftp://ftp.support.lotus.com/pub/utils/InternetServices/iisstat/iisstat.html

The command log is handled by the syslog daemon. I have written a program 
to do some statistics on this. But I never finished it to the quality where 
I would publicly release it. If you are interested in it, let me know. I 
don't mind giving it to individuals.

Both programs are written in perl.

     Steven Nemetz                       [email-masked]
     Informal cc:Mail page               http://www.ccmail.com:8001
     Lotus Development Corporation       http://www.lotus.com
     A wholly-owned subsidiary of IBM    http://www.ibm.com

______________________________ Reply Separator _________________________________
Subject: Questions about logging
Author:  [email-masked] at internet-mail
Date:    8/3/95 3:19 PM

Greetings, all!

     
Thanks in advance!
     
...dlc...