Subject: Re: FTP slows to a crawl after 20k?

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 1995 11:06:35 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 3 Aug 1995, Thomas Leavitt wrote:

> Some of our users are complaining that FTP transfers occassionally slow
> to a crawl, once the size of the file being transferred gets above 20k.
> 
> Others are complaining that they are inconsistently dis-connected after
> transferring a single file when doing multiple file transfers "connection
> reset by peer".

I would find out more about the FTP and TCP/IP client software being used
to see if there is a pattern.  Wouldn't hurt to know all you can about the
client hardware and connection type either.  Any consistent results you
find out would appreciated by me if not the whole list. 

Hope you find it,

Michael Brennen

---

From: [email-masked] (Bret Schuhmacher)
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 1995 11:12:32 -0500

> to a crawl, once the size of the file being transferred gets above 20k.
I used to notice this on my old 386/33 with 4Mb of RAM running windows
and Mosaic and ftp-client and ...

I then realized how much swapping I was causing the machine to do and
upgraded my RAM.

Maybe your users are running into the same problem?

Regards,

Bret Schuhmacher
 ____________________________________________________________________________
 Bret A. Schuhmacher                          eMail: [email-masked]
 Technical Director, WebNet Technologies      URL: http://www.wn.com
 Voice/FAX: 214.821.0848                      Pager: 214.816.0283
 ____________________________________________________________________________

---

From: Thomas Leavitt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 95 9:00:39 PDT

The load on the system is light, and the number of connections is
in the low 20s. Any idea what could be causing this (on our end, or
theirs)?

Thomas
--
Web Communications (sm)            Thomas [email-masked]
Voice: (408) 457-9671 x101         Lead Systems & Network Admin./Tech Suppt.
 
Web Communications Home Page <URL:http://www.webcom.com/>

---

From: [email-masked] (Bill Campbell)
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 1995 09:17:29 -0700 (PDT)

> to see if there is a pattern.  ....
> 
I would be very suspicious that the client's at fault if the client is
the perl-based mirror software.  I've found that the version we have
here has a major memory leak running under SCO 3.2v4.2.  It does an
exec for every read and the exec must allocate memory so the memory
requirements grow quite quickly to the point that the system would
start swapping very quickly with 16MB of RAM.

Bill
--
INTERNET:   [email-masked]  Bill Campbell; Celestial Systems, Inc.
UUCP:               camco!bill  PO Box 820; 2835 82nd Avenue S.E. S-100
FAX:            (206) 232-9186  Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820; (206) 236-1676
URL: http://www.celestial.com/

You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a
reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating
the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for
independence.
        -- Charles A. Beard