Subject: problems with 'ls -al' and 'dir'

From: Brian Vogelsang <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 1995 18:24:43 -0700 (PDT)

I'm having problems getting 'dir' and 'ls -al' to work via anonymous
ftp on my Solaris 2.4 server.  I'm using the following shared libraries:

ld.so*
ld.so.1*
libc.so.1*
libdl.so.1*
libintl.so.1*
libw.so.1*
nss_files.so.1*

I've verified via 'truss' that these libraries are all I should need. 
I've also tried compiling the gnu 'ls' with the -static option as another
list member had recommended but this didn't seem to help either.   

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Brian
[email-masked]

---

From: Russell Street <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 1995 14:04:45 +1200 (NZT)

> ftp on my Solaris 2.4 server.  I'm using the following shared libraries:

Here is an ls-lR of the tree I have working happily on several Solaris
2.4 systems:

total 18
-r--r--r--   1 root     root         355 Jun 24 21:32 README
d--x--x--x   2 root     root         512 Jun 24 12:45 bin
d--x--x--x   2 root     root         512 Jun 24 12:45 dev
d--x--x--x   2 root     root         512 Jun 24 21:36 etc
drwx-wx-wt   2 root     root         512 Jun 24 21:37 incoming
drwxr-xr-x   2 root     other        512 Aug 10 16:55 mnt
drwxr-xr-x   3 root     root         512 Jun 24 13:10 pub
drwx------   2 root     root         512 Jun 24 12:06 tmp
d--x--x--x   3 root     root         512 Oct 13  1994 usr

./bin:
total 382
---x--x--x   2 root     root       60640 May  7 13:45 compress
---x--x--x   2 root     root       60640 May  7 13:45 gzip
---x--x--x   1 root     root       19916 Mar 28  1994 ls
---x--x--x   1 root     root        3256 Aug  9  1994 pwd
---x--x--x   1 root     root       47740 Aug  9  1994 tar

./dev:
total 0
crw-rw-rw-   1 root     root      11, 42 Mar 28  1994 tcp
crw-rw-rw-   1 root     root     105,  1 Jun 24 12:45 ticotsord
crw-rw-rw-   1 root     root      11, 41 Mar 28  1994 udp
crw-rw-rw-   1 root     root      13, 12 Mar 28  1994 zero

./etc:
total 8
-r--r--r--   1 root     root         199 Oct 12  1994 allowed.filenames
-r--r--r--   1 root     other         50 Jun 24 21:35 group
-r--r--r--   1 root     root         643 Oct 12  1994 netconfig
-r--r--r--   1 root     root         151 Jun 24 13:08 passwd

./usr:
total 4
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           6 Jun 24 12:44 bin -> ../bin
d--x--x--x   2 root     root         512 Jun 24 12:53 lib

./usr/lib:
total 3030
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     root       24576 Jun 24 12:52 ld.so
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     root       97804 Jun 24 12:52 ld.so.1
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     root      621356 Jun 24 12:52 libc.so.1
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     root        3492 Jun 24 12:52 libdl.so.1
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     root       13516 Jun 24 12:52 libintl.so.1
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     root      508896 Jun 24 12:52 libnsl.so.1
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     root       73100 Jun 24 12:52 libsocket.so.1
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     root       41704 Jun 24 12:52 libw.so
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     root       41704 Jun 24 12:52 libw.so.1
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     root       10796 Jun 24 12:52 nss_dns.so.1
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     root       18496 Jun 24 12:52 nss_files.so.1
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     root       25840 Jun 24 12:52 nss_nis.so.1
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     root       29376 Jun 24 12:52 nss_nisplus.so.1
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     root        9436 Jun 24 12:52 straddr.so.2

This is using Sun's /bin/ls

Hope this is of some help.
Russell