Subject: Re: restricting real user's FS access?

From: "Chadwick A. Dubuque" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 1995 12:21:34 -0500 (CDT)

Neil Brookins wrote:

> > It sounds like only anonymous ftp users get restricted File System space
> > (via the chroot() mechanism), or have i missed something?... is it
> 
> Nope. There are 'guest' ftp users who do get restricted...
> 
> > possible to restrict a real user's access to only thier own login
> > directory heirarchy?
> 
> You could try using /./  in the path for their home dir to tell where
> to chroot to... Here is a sample line from my /etc/passwd file where
> I do this...
> 
> abba_jb:*:201:26:Abba the singers:/home/clients/abba_jb/./:/usr/local/bin/gate

QUESTION: So, if a user had a home dir entry like:

/home/./user/

(s)he would be restricted to the /home/ directory as root, but would be able
to go into any other user's directory (as long as permissions allow)?

(This *is* one of the things I'm looking for. This would allow users to
"publish" their directories, yet not allow them into the "system" space,
making it much more secure.)

Thanks for the help!

-- 
Chadwick A. Dubuque            [email-masked]
http://www.acm.ndsu.NoDak.edu/~cdubuque/   finger for PGP pub. key 
postal:USA/58105-5164/ND/Fargo/IACC 258 NDSU Box 5164/Chad Dubuque