Subject: Greetings and questions...

From: Vincent Cojot <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 1995 18:38:19 -0400 (EDT)

Dear wu-ftpd users,
	
	This is my first time on this list and as such I would like to
apologize if I am wrong about the Etiquette one is supposed to have on
this mailing list. I hope everybody will excuse my poor english as well..
:)

	We are tying to set up wu-ftpd to work on our SparcStation 10 
(running SunOS 5.4) which is a server accessed by other students at our 
school. I used the Solaris makefiles for wu-ftp-2.4 and things compiled 
ok (after modifying makefile.sol a little). I have created the required 
files, checked the paths and the syntax and it all seems ok. Also "ckconfig" 
reports everything is ok. However:

- 1) When replacing in.ftpd by the binary of wu-ftpd, every user 
connecting to our site gets : "500 step FTP server shut down -- please 
try again later." 

- 2) when trying to start it manually ("./ftpd"), it just dies within a
few seconds saying "500 step FTP server shut down -- please try again
later." 

- 3) When trying 2), the following appears in /var/adm/messages:

Aug 15 18:08:37 step syslog: getpeername (./ftpd): Invalid argument
Aug 15 18:08:37 step syslog: getsockname (./ftpd): Invalid argument
Aug 15 18:08:37 step ftpd[19957]: setsockopt (SO_OOBINLINE): Invalid argument
Aug 15 18:08:37 step ftpd[19957]: fcntl F_SETOWN: Invalid argument

As a result, we are pretty lost here and I would like to know if anyone 
has had this problem and knows how to fix it. We are just a group a 
students providing local information and Internet access to other students 
from our school and none of the others at our Micro-computing comitee was 
able to help. We would really apreciate some help and I am really sorry 
if this mail does not match this list's etiquette.

PS: I can provide all the config files if needed.
_________________________________________________________________________
Vincent S. Cojot, Computer Engineering.
Ecole Polytechnique de Montreal, Comite Micro-Informatique.
[email-masked], [email-masked]