Subject: ls works, but ls -l doesn't

From: [email-masked] (Robert Bishop)
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 1995 18:54:58 -0700

Hi,
I just recently built wu-ftpd for use for use as both normal ftp and anonymous.
When logged in as a normal user, ls & ls -l work fine. But when logged in
anon & guest the ls will work but not ls -l (dir doesn't work either). I
thought initially that my problem was with a shared library or something but
I can't seem to find any reference anywhere to one. The system is a IBM RS
6000 running AIX 3.2.5. If I setup up an anonymous system using the ftpd
daemon supplied with AIX, ls -l works just fine, but when I switch to
wu-ftpd it doesn't.

I've setup the same on a Sun 4.1.3 and Solaris 2.3 with no problem but can't
get anywhere with this.

Anybody have some ideas???

- Bob

---

From: [email-masked] (Joshua Krage)
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 1995 20:51:06 -0400

> daemon supplied with AIX, ls -l works just fine, but when I switch to

I run wuftpd on AIX 3.2.5 as well with no problems.  It sounds like you're
either using the wrong permissions (not as likely) or missing some of the
dynamic libraries that ls depends upon (likely).  These include the NLS
message catalogs, and the appropriate C libraries.  The stock AIX ftpd page
has a section about setting up an FTP site.  There's even a script to
automate much of it for you, called anon.ftp in the /usr tree somewhere.  I
think it also has a man page.

I ended creating my FTP tree by hand, since I didn't like the defaults in
the script, and didn't want to spend the time to change it (fairly
heavily).  If you follow the instructions for WU-FTPd first, then add
whatever wasn't already done according to the instructions in the FTPd man
page.

I can provide a list of files you need if necessary; just contact me via
private e-mail.

Good luck!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Joshua Krage                                       [email-masked]
Network Administrator       SCIENTECH, Inc.      (301) 468-6425 (Voice)