Subject: logging woes under Next Step

From: Andrew Burday <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 1995 22:46:16 -0500 (GMT-0500)

Hello All.

I've just joined the list -- hope this is appropriate.  If there is an 
archive for this list, I couldn't find it.  Please point me to it if one 
exists.

I've just installed wu-ftpd 2.4 on a NeXT cube running Next Step 3.2.  I 
have a couple of problems about logging.

First, is there any way to log *connections* other than by using the
syslogd?  I mean, is there any way to get ftpd to do this itself, the way
that it logs transfers?  My problem here is that to get syslogd to log ftp
connections, I seem to need to have a line for daemon.info in my
/etc/syslog.conf.  daemon.notice doesn't seem to do it.  The problem is
that logging daemon.info for the whole system causes an enormous amount of
junk to get logged by other processes.  I would like to log ftp
connections, *without* logging all the other junk.  I can think of only
two ways to do that: one is to have ftpd do the logging itself, by
whatever mechanism it uses to log transfers.  Is that possible?  Or is
there some simple hack to the wu-ftpd sources that would change the
logging level for ftp connections from info to notice? 

Second, I cannot seem to get ftpd to log commands.  I have the following 
line in my /usr/local/etc/ftpaccess:

log commands anonymous,real

(I wrote that down -- didn't directly cut and paste it from the file.)  
Still, ftpd does not appear to be logging any commands at all, at least 
not in xferlog.  (I don't think there's another log file; is there?)  I 
tried removing and recreating the line in ftpaccess, on the chance that 
there was some weird non-printing character munging the works.  Didn't 
help.  ftpd *does* log *transfers* exactly as configured, so it's not 
that xferlog is unwritable or any such thing.

I went through the installation instructions pretty carefully.  I did make
a copy of libsys_s.B.shlib, as per the instructions for Next Step.  There
do not appear to be any permissions problems, and as I say transfers are
getting logged correctly.  I have not been able to find anything relevant
in the man pages (except ftpaccess.5, which appears to say I'm doing
things right.)  I have double-checked my pathnames, both by hand and with 
src/ckconfig.  But that can't be the problem anyway, since transfers are 
getting logged correctly: ftpd can find the xferlog.

The advanced logging features were one of my main reasons for installing 
wu-ftpd.  I'd be most grateful if someone could help me sort this 
problem out.

On the chance that connecting to the server will help someone help me, 
the host in question is ftp.philo.mcgill.ca (132.206.239.1).  It's a 
brand new server, so there are no files on it yet.

Best,

Andrew Burday

********************************************************************
[email-masked]                    http://www.philo.mcgill.ca/
---------------------------------------------------------------------
"The point of philosophy is to start with something so simple as not
to seem worth stating, and to end up with something so paradoxical
that no one will believe it."
Bertrand Russell, 'The Philosophy of Logical Atomism'
*********************************************************************

---

From: Andrew Burday <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 1995 14:05:36 -0500 (GMT-0500)

> have a couple of problems about logging.

Well, I've just had a look at the TODO list, and it appears that both my
questions are on it (command logging and a separate ftplogd, items 3 and
11).  Also figured out where to change LOG_INFO to LOG_NOTICE in ftpd.c. 
What can I say?  Yesterday was NOT a good day, and I am not really a
programmer.  Sorry to bug the list prematurely. 

The wu-ftpd maintainers might want to add comments to the sample 
ftpaccess file, or change the ftpaccess(5) man page, to make clear that 
command logging is not yet implemented.  Those documents really do make 
it sound like command logging ought to work.

Best,

Andrew Burday

---

From: Micah Brandon <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 1995 13:10:26 -0400 (EDT)

> syslogd?  I mean, is there any way to get ftpd to do this itself, the way
	Sounds like what you need is a tcp wrapper program.  This gets called
by inetd just before the ftpd daemon runs to log the connection.  Do
an archie search for "tcpwrapper".  It can be used on any tcp connection...
finger, telnet, etc...