Subject: wu-ftpd 2.4 and telnet and rlogin..

From: [email-masked] (Christopher A. Mega)
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 1995 14:17:19 -0400

I've just installed wu-ftpd, and created a real usr/passwd account,
and a guestgroup group.

I can log in to this account just fine via ftp, and my access within
the ftp directory hierarchy is just what I wanted. 

However, since this is a real usr/passwd account, how can I prevent
users of this account from logging in via telnet or rlogin using the
same usr/passwd?

The restricted "anonymous" ftp access is great, but I don't understand
how to restrict this user from using other internet access means.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks
- Chris

-- 
========================================================================
               Christopher A. Mega ([email-masked])
                      Manager, Internet Services
                       Harpell/Martins & Company
                66 Commonwealth Ave, Concord, MA 01742
              Phone: (508) 371-1510  Fax: (508) 369-7561
========================================================================

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 1995 13:32:37 -0500 (CDT)

> how to restrict this user from using other internet access means.

Make the shell in the /etc/passwd file to be /etc/ftponly or some such
nonexistent file.  It doesn't have to exist (shouldn't exist!); just make
sure it is in /etc/shells, which is used as a list to validate the shell
by wu.ftpd.  I assume from your comments that you may have put a normal
shell in the passwd file on the guest account and the anonymous account; 
just make it a bogus shell /like /etc/ftponly or /bin/false and no one 
can login on that account.

Good thinking...

Michael