Subject: transfer meter???

From: John Edwards <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 1995 16:05:25 -0400 (EDT)

Hi. I've been very happy with using administering WU-FTPD, but recently it was
brought to my attention by some Microsloth Windoze users that when they do 
transfers using Netscape (and other WWW browsers), they get this little 
'thermometer' or 'transfer meter' that shows progress on downloading a file. 

A transfer using their UNIX shell account shows NO 'progress meter' and they
sit there waiting impatiently, wondering what's going on.

Is it possible for an FTP client to show transfer status during the transfer
for dialup, shell (non-PPP/SLIP) accounts? BTW, not all of our users can (or
want to) use a WWW browser for FTP transfers.

Thank you for your assistance.					John
---
 +=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
 | SOLINET (Southeastern Library Network)       [email-masked] |
 | URL:  http://www.solinet.net/johne.html      Atlanta, Georgia, USA    |
 +=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

---

From: Reed Wade <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 1995 16:38:54 -0400

try typing 'hash' at the ftp client prompt

>Thank you for your assistance.					John

-reed

-----
University of Tennessee, Knoxville            Dept of Computer Science
Netlib Development Group         'Dust--is round off error.' says geek
[email-masked] -- <URL:http://www.netlib.org/utk/people/ReedWade.html>

---

From: Bill Pemberton <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 1995 16:23:30 -0400 (EDT)

> want to) use a WWW browser for FTP transfers.

Yes, get ncftp.

-- 
Bill Pemberton                           [email-masked]
ITC/Unix Systems                         [email-masked]
University of Virginia                   uunet!virginia!wfp5p

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 1995 15:29:14 -0500 (CDT)

> want to) use a WWW browser for FTP transfers.

This is a function of the ftp client software on the shell account.  The 
best thing to do is replace the stock ftp client with ncftp, which has 
many more bells and whistles (including multiple progress meters).  ncftp 
is free; fetch the latest at:

ftp://ftp.cs.unl.edu/pub/ncftp/

Michael

---

From: Matthew J Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 1995 21:35:30 +0100

hash mode (command 'hash' at the ftp prompt) prints a # for every
kilobyte or so downloaded, which is a bit of indication.  Ncftp prints
a percentage.

-matt

---

From: "TSgt Todd C. Knauer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 1995 07:10:16 -0500 (CDT)

> want to) use a WWW browser for FTP transfers.

  A few people have already answered this but I guess you didn't see the 
answers.  There are a coupld of ways to show progress on unix ftp clients 
one is to turn "hashing" on bye typing "hash".  This will print a "#" for 
every kilobyte of transfer.  Another way and probably better is to get a 
copy of NcFTP client.  It will show either a percent number or a bar like 
a thermometer telling you transfer progress.  It has many other nice 
features over the standard ftp client.  This has nothing to do with 
wu-ftpd.

						Todd

---------------------------------------------------
        Air Force Combat Climatology Center
---------------------------------------------------
Todd Knauer        -  [email-masked]
Network Management -  Network/System Administrator
Scott AFB, Il.     -  System/Application Programmer
---------------------------------------------------