Subject: chroot() and ls don't work together

From: Chris Woods <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 1995 08:58:57 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

I've been following this list for a few months now, and I don't know how 
many times I've seen this question:

wu-ftpd 2.4.2beta5 from Academ
linux 1.2.10 and 1.2.13 
Shadow on one, not on the other (irrelevant for this problem, apparently)

I have some guest ftp accounts (like, several thousand of them). They're
all part of group ``ftponly'', and in my /etc/ftpaccess, I have
guestgrouped ``ftponly''. I set their home dir to be /home/./username, and
they get chroot()'ed just fine. However, they cannont get a directory
listing of any kind! If I do not guestgroup them (e.g. they are now type
``real'') they don't get chroot()'ed, but get directlry listings just
fine. 

I have put a statically-linked ls in ~ftp/bin, thinking that the chroot()
was breaking any possible searches for /lib/libc.so.x. I have put libc.so
in ~ftp/lib and ~ftp/usr/lib. I have created ~ftp/dev/zero. The only piece
that seems to be missing is libdl, which apparently does not exist for
a.out linux. 

Has anyone successfully gotten this working with linux? Soneone told me
that libdl.so.* is part of the linux ELF libraries, so I am actually
converting a machine to ELF, hoping that the missing libdl is my problem,
and that this will resolve it. 

Any clues?

Chris Woods                                               [email-masked]
GCM/CS/E   d---  H++ s+:++ !g  p? au-- a- w+  v++ C++ UL++++ P++>++++ L+++
	   E++>+++ N+ K++ W--- M-- V-- -po+ Y+ t+ !5 !j R G? tv-- b+ D+ B-
	   e+ u+ h---- f r+++ n---- y++++
Network Administrator 	    	 USAinternet, Inc.  	      508-774-4700