Subject: Real users cant get in.

From: Chuck Nelson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 95 14:26:55 CDT

I just finished installing wu-ftpd on my AIX 3.2.5 systems and have run
into a minor problem.

Anonymous and guest access is okay but I am unable to ftp in with a real
userid. The id is in the /etc/passwd file and /etc/group file. I even
made sure it is not in the ftpusers file.

If I enter "user nelson" it says access is denied. (this is the username)

If I enter "user NELSON" (note case) it asks for a password but it will
not take a valid password. Also note: NELSON (upcase) is not a valid user
on my system "nelson" is.

I have enclosed my ftpaccess file if it will help.

**************** ftpaccess ******************
class all     real,guest,anonymous *

limit  anon   25   Any          /wsu/local/etc/msgs/msg.busy

passwd-check trivial    warn

readme  README*    login
readme  README*    cwd=*

message /welcome.msg            login
message .message                cwd=*

compress        yes             local remote
tar             yes             local remote

log commands real
log transfers anonymous,real inbound,outbound

shutdown /wsu/local/etc/shutmsg

email [email-masked]

*******************************

Thanks for any help.

Chuck

---

From: [email-masked] (Harald Milz)
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 1995 08:17:51 +0200 (MET DST)

> If I enter "user nelson" it says access is denied. (this is the username)

This is probably a /etc/shells problem. Under AIX, you have to set up
~ftp/etc/shells with all the possible shells in it. 

Ciao,
hm

-- 
Harald Milz ([email-masked]), iX Multiuser Multitasking Magazine
Disclaimer: I apologize for my broken From: and Reply-To: headers. This is 
caused by a strange sendmail setup which I am not responsible for. 
Hopefully it will be fixed soon. If in doubt, reply to [email-masked].

---

From: Bill Pemberton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 1995 10:24:13 -0400 (EDT)

> ~ftp/etc/shells with all the possible shells in it. 

The file is NOT ~ftp/etc/shells, just /etc/shells. 

Personally, I don't like this fix since nothing else under AIX needs an
/etc/shells.  I've got a patch that lets wu-ftpd get the valid shells the
proper way for AIX.  My patch is available at:

tigger.itc.virginia.edu:/pub/AIX/wu-ftpd.diffs.txt.gz .

-- 
Bill Pemberton                           [email-masked]
ITC/Unix Systems                         [email-masked]
University of Virginia                   uunet!virginia!wfp5p