Subject: Can't create data socket

From: [email-masked] (Bill Townsley)
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 1995 16:21:29 -0400

I've recently installed wu-ftpd-2.4 on my SPARC 2 running Solaris 2.4.
Installation went by the book, but when I ftp into the machine I
get the following message everytime I do an "ls":

425 Can't create data socket (0.0.0.0,20): Bad file number.

I've played with ownerships and passwd/group files, but cannot
seem to get rid of this problem.  Also, I am able to parse the
directory structure, but can't "ls".  i.e. I can "cd /pub" or
"cd /incoming", but I can't "ls /pub".  

Does anybody know what's going on?

+------------------------------------+
| Bill Townsley, Computer Specialist |
|  USGS Center for Coastal Geology   |
| email: [email-masked]  |
|   phone: 813-893-3100 ext. 3019    |
|        fax: 813-893-3333           |   
+------------------------------------+
|  One World, One Operating System   |
+------------------------------------+

---

From: [email-masked] (Kari Hakkinen)
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 1995 11:02:58 +0300 (EETDST)

> Does anybody know what's going on?
I had exactly the same error on our SCO 3.2v4.2 before I created directories
~ftp/dev and ~ftp/shlib and put the necessary files there.

I hope your operating system documentation tells you what to put there.

Hope this helps,
Kari
-- 
Kari Hakkinen                Internet:  [email-masked]
Relatech Ltd                 Tel:       +358-41-650205
Jyvaskyla FINLAND            Fax:       +358-41-650120