Subject: Weird problem with ftpd

From: [email-masked] (Kent Tse)
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 1995 11:42:50 -0400

Hi,

     I have a strange problem with the wu-ftpd 2.4 daemon running on
     machines with the SunOS 4.1.4 and a Solbourne 4.1C operating
     systems.  On the second login try to any account (ftp or user
     account) the daemon hangs and seems to set the NIS domainname to
     the passwd entry of ftp.  For example, the passwd entry for ftp
     is:

     ftp:*:22:22:Anonymous FTP:/export/ftp:/usr/bin/true

     and the error messages on the console are:

     NIS domainname "ftp" not responding
     NIS domainname "*" not responding
     NIS domainname "/export/ftp" not responding

     and so on.

     At this point the daemon hangs and the ftpcounts don't change (of
     course) and no one can log in.

     I would appreciate any pointers or solutions.  BTW, there were no
     changes made to the wu-ftpd source which I got from ftp.wustl.edu.

     					- Kent

--
     Kent Tse                      School of Computer Science
     System Programmer             McGill University
     [email-masked]             3480 University Street, Room 318
     (514) 398-6697                Montreal, Quebec, Canada, H3A 2A7
     FAX: (514) 398-3883           SOCS Help Desk: (514) 398-7087
                                   http://www.cs.mcgill.ca/~kent