Subject: soft links not followed?

From: [email-masked] (Christopher A. Mega)
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 1995 15:45:29 -0400

I have a space problem.  I've set up a guestgroup with a real account.
I want to place files in a pub/packages directory within the real
account directory.  However, the files are too big to reside on the same
file system as the ~ftp account.  I created a softlink in the ~ftp/pub/packages
directory to point to a file in another larger filesystem.

Now when I log in as the real user, an "ls" reveals that the softlinks
are indeed present, protections lrwxrwxrwx, but owned by "root", and
group "other".  Even though the files at the other end of the link
are owned by my ~ftp real user, they cannot be accessed (ie, I can't 
"GET" them -- permission denied).

How can I enable softlinks within a guestgroup account?

Thanks
- Chris

-- 
========================================================================
               Christopher A. Mega ([email-masked])
                      Manager, Internet Services
                       Harpell/Martins & Company
                66 Commonwealth Ave, Concord, MA 01742
              Phone: (508) 371-1510  Fax: (508) 369-7561
========================================================================

---

From: Vidiot <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 1995 15:28:45 -0500 (CDT)

Chris:

<How can I enable softlinks within a guestgroup account?

My guess is that you can't, otherwise it would be a BIG security hole.

MB
-- 
System Administrator - FT/MS - Madison WI.
e-mail: [email-masked]
phone: (608) 273-8262  fax: (608) 273-8719  voice-mail: (800) 426-6488 ext 6293
Visit - <URL:http://www.cdsnet.net/vidiot/>  (Your link to Star Trek and UPN)