Subject: Compile wu-ftpd on linux

From: [email-masked] (Marco Ottella)
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 1995 22:45:37 +0200

Hello all,

I tied to compile wu-ftpd with shadow support on my linux system but I get
this error.

make args are :
make opts are :

Linking Makefiles.
ln: Makefile: File exists
ln: config.h: File exists
ln: Makefile: File exists

Making support library.
rm -rf libsupport.a
gcc  -O2 -I/usr/include/bsd  -m486 -pipe -c getusershell.c fnmatch.c
strcasestr. c strerror.c authuser.c ftw.c
ar cq libsupport.a getusershell.o fnmatch.o strcasestr.o strerror.o
authuser.o f tw.o
ranlib libsupport.a

Making ftpd.
gcc -O2 -I.. -I../support -I/usr/include/bsd -I/usr/include/netinet
-L../support  -o ftpd vers.o ftpd.o ftpcmd.o glob.o logwtmp.o popen.o
access.o extensions.o r ealpath.o acl.o private.o authenticate.o
conversions.o hostacc.o -lbsd -lsupport
ftpd.o: Undefined symbol _getspnam referenced from text segment
make: *** [ftpd] Error 1

What does it mean? Where can I get this _getspnam?

Thank you in advance for cooperation,

Bets Regards,

       Marco OTTELLA

  o---------------------------------------------------------o
  | Olivetti Reti Telematiche (Olivetti Line) - BIELLA      |
  |                            o----------------------------o
  | Responsabile tecnico       | [email-masked]       |
  o----------------------------o [email-masked]   |
  | Tel: --39 15 2593536       | [email-masked]          |
  | Fax: --39 15 2593552       |                            |
  o----------------------------o----------------------------o
  | ---- PGP 2.6ui AVAILABLE!!: finger [email-masked] ----- |
  o---------------------------------------------------------o

---

From: [email-masked] (Riku Saikkonen)
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 1995 13:18:32 +0300

>I tied to compile wu-ftpd with shadow support on my linux system but I get
...

>What does it mean? Where can I get this _getspnam?

It's part of the shadow password package, which most Linux distriutions
don't install by default. If you don't have shadow passwords, you should not
define SHADOW_PASSWORD in wu-ftpd/src/config.h. If you do have them, you
should include -lshadow in the LIBES line in wu-ftpd/src/Makefile. (How to
know? See if /usr/lib/libshadow.* exists, or look at /etc/passwd and see if
it has encrypted passwords in it.)

--
-=- Rjs -=- [email-masked] - IRC: Rjs
"Westra lage wehas rehtas, nu isti sa wraithas." - J.R.R. Tolkien

---

From: David Dombek <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 1995 09:58:21 -0400 (EDT)

I am trying to find a patch for wu-ftpd that will allow me to do virtual 
ftp servers.  That is, multiple IP address on a single ethernet port 
terminating to different FTP directories.  

I have a linux 2.8.13 system and a patch applied to allow for multiple 
IPs to the machine.

If possible, I would like patches to work on wu-ftpd2.4.2beta-5.

Thank You

David Dombek
[email-masked]