Subject: ftpd daemon syslogging

From: [email-masked] (Simon Wilkinson)
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 95 16:24:34 BST

Hi

I wondered if anyone out there had any experience with setting up the wuftpd
daemon to log all the file transfers, logins etc. from an anonymous ftp
account to the syslog.  I am using a Solaris 2.4 installation of wuftpd.
Although I am aware of the various option parameters to the ftpd daemon and
have supposedly started them ( I have checked by logging in and watching 
the ftpd process start), no messages are appearing in either /usr/adm/messages
or /usr/adm/syslog.
Does anyone know what ftpd is doing here??
I have tried looking at the syslogd daemon and it's details but to no avail.

At the moment, my entry for ftpd in /etc/inet/inetd.conf is as follows:

ftp     stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/ftpd          ftpd -d -l -a -L
 -i -o

Thanks for any help

Si.

---

From: "Keith Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 1995 12:39:53 +1200

> I have tried looking at the syslogd daemon and it's details but to no avail.

It sounds like your /etc/syslog.conf doesn't have an entry for the 
selector that your wu-ftpd is using.  I think the default is 'daemon' 
but you should check your sources to see what you are using.

In my /etc/syslog.conf I have the lilne:
      daemon.info                  /var/log/daemonlog

Check out the man pages on 'syslog' and 'syslog.conf' for more info.

Keith.