Subject: wu-ftpd on Linux + quotas + shadow passwds

From: "Chadwick A. Dubuque" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 1995 11:09:35 -0500 (CDT)

I'm using Linux (1.1.28, I believe) with quotas and shadow passwords.

For wu-ftpd, I'm using the Academ 2.4.2 beta 5.

Problem 1) wu-ftpd doesn't recognize the shadow password libraries, even
after re-compiling.

Someone on here mentioned changing crypt() to pw_encrypt(), but that just
caused wu-ftpd to not compile. (Maybe I changed it in too many places? I
grepped for crypt() on the entire source tree, and replaced it wherever I
found it.)

If anyone can give me some help, it'd be greatly appreciated. I'll document
it and send it out to the Linux community (as well as this one) if I can
ever find the answers.

-- 
Chadwick A. Dubuque            [email-masked]
http://www.acm.ndsu.NoDak.edu/~cdubuque/   finger for PGP pub. key 
postal:USA/58105-5164/ND/Fargo/IACC 258 NDSU Box 5164/Chad Dubuque

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 1995 12:23:29 -0500 (CDT)

> grepped for crypt() on the entire source tree, and replaced it wherever I

Edit src/config/config.lnx and define SHADOW_PASSWORD; it normally comes 
undef'd.  Then, edit src/makefiles/Makefile.lnx and uncomment (or define 
as needed) the -lshadow directive on the LIBES line.

That should do it.  If not, we'll be here...

Michael Brennen

---

From: [email-masked] (Koos van den Hout _U nix and we all_)
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 95 21:39:18 MET DST

> grepped for crypt() on the entire source tree, and replaced it wherever I

Just the crypt() in ftpd.c

Anyway, the whole story :

First :

- Get the shadow.h from the latest shadow package.
- After building the shadow package, you have a libshadow.a.

Then :
- Copy shadow.h to the src dir.
- Copy libshadow.a to the support dir.
- Edit src/config.h to say '#define SHADOW_PASSWORD' instead of #undef.
- Edit the LIBES line in src/Makefile to read :

LIBES    = -lsupport -lbsd -lshadow

And then modify src/ftpd.c in line 1061 to read :

        xpasswd = pw_encrypt(passwd, salt);

That should do the trick. Sorry I was a bit terse in my first remark, it was
at a level of people who build software packages like wu-ftpd or sendmail
as leisure activity.

                                                  Grtx. KH

-- 
  Koos van den Hout,           Internetter, Unix freak and BBS SysOp at large
  [email-masked] (Home)        BBS Koos z'n Doos (+31-3402-36637 28k8)
  [email-masked] (Work)  <-- finger for PGPkey       (+31-3402-56619 14k4)
  http://www.hvu.nl/~koos (WWW)    Looking for a license plate with "RFC 822"
  GCS d- p(-) c++(+++) l+ u+++ e++ m+(-) s+/- !n h f+ g+ w(++) t+ r !y(*)

---

From: "Chadwick A. Dubuque" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 1995 14:52:55 -0500 (CDT)

Koos van den Hout _U nix and we all_ wrote:
[...]
> at a level of people who build software packages like wu-ftpd or sendmail

Thanks, and no appology necessary. With your help and the other responses
I've gotten, I should be able to do the job.

P.S. I think you can get "RFC 822" licence plates from North Dakota for a
price. Our normal plates are "AAA NNN" (Alpha/Num). I'm personally looking
for "EVH 316" since I'm a big Van Halen fan. (Edward Van Halen, 316 was the
title of his last solo.) Plus, since we have a puny population, we're just
around "EMM 000" right now. There might just be hope for me getting them by
luck! :-)

---

From: "Chadwick A. Dubuque" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 1995 16:45:23 -0500 (CDT)

Ooops. Sorry for that last message, which was obviously supposed to go
personal. <sigh>