Subject: guest privileges

From: [email-masked] (Ratilal Haria M60 RmB21 993 1153)
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 1995 16:55:37 -0400

Hi,

 I am a newbie to the wu-ftpd - having it installed
 yesterday and spent the rest of the time looking
 at docs to resolv the following problem

 I want a real account, say user1, to connect to the server
 and download files from a certain directory only.

 I have set the guestgroup in the ftpaccess file and
 may have an improper format in etc/passwd file - i think
 cause I am not too clear of the path

user1:x:903:901:User 1:/ftp/./export/home/user1/download:/bin/csh

 When I try ftp, I get the error 

550 Can't set guest privileges.
Login failed.

  I would appreciate any help or pointers to the problem 

Thanks ... Ratilal

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 1995 16:21:33 -0500 (CDT)

> 550 Can't set guest privileges.

Make sure that group specified in the 'guestgroups' line in ftpaccess 
really exists in /etc/group.  It must also be group 901 as called out in 
your passwd file.  It was unclear if you had done all of this.

In the above, the user would be chroot'ed into the /ftp directory as home 
directory.  This can be changed by moving the /./ to a different place in 
the path.

You don't have to have the /bin/csh on the passwd line; you could set it 
to /etc/ftponly.  That name needs to be defined in /etc/shells, but it 
does not have to exist.  This way the account cannot be used to log in.

Sounds like you are close; hope this helps get you closer

Michael Brennen