Subject: ftp 'get' sometimes pauses until timeout (retry email)

From: Boyd Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 1995 09:03:24 -0700 (PDT)

I have not been very successful mailing to this list yet.  I stop
getting list mail for a day or two each time I try.  Let me try
again.  Please CC me directly via email if you send a reply.  
My apologies again if you have gotten this before, especially if you
replied to the list.  I think the problem may be I sent them to 
[email-masked] instead of [email-masked]

I should add here that ftp "get" from our Solaris system with bundled 
ftpd just outside our firewall works fine also, but wuftpd on our HP 
next to it intermittently pauses until timeout with a large file "get".  
I don't change any parameters except setting binary mode.

Thanks,
Boyd Johnson

> From [email-masked]  Tue Jul 25 13:37:26 1995
> From: Boyd Johnson <[email-masked]>
> 
> I sent this on Friday, but did not get any more messages on this mailing
> list until Sunday.  My apologies if this is a duplicate, but I have not 
> seen any responses.
> 
> This is not a timeout problem but is a "get" hanging problem.  Does the
> following sound familiar to anybody?
> 
> "Previously Boyd Johnson said:"
> > From [email-masked]  Fri Jul 21 13:19:44 1995
> > 
> > We seem to intermittently get timeouts when getting "large" (10MB) files
> > from our new wu-ftpd server outside our firewall to systems inside.  It 
> > used to work all the time when using HP's ftpd.  When it happens about 
> > 2MB has been transferred in just a few seconds and it just sits for 15 
> > minutes and times out.  Has anyone else had and solved this problem?
> > 
> > This is what I get:
> > ftp> get bjt
> > 200 PORT command successful.
> > 150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for bjt (10818552 bytes).
> > 421 Timeout (900 seconds): closing control connection.
        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > 2080768 bytes received in 5.84 seconds (347.89 Kbytes/s)
                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > ftp>

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 1995 14:39:13 -0500 (CDT)

> I don't change any parameters except setting binary mode.

Do you have trouble loading from the Internet (i.e. not going through 
your firewall?  If you don't then I would look to the firewall or some 
kind of interaction between the HP and firewall.  Depends on the firewall 
what that could be (router(s), application proxy, etc.).

Michael Brennen

---

From: Boyd Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 1995 18:04:22 -0700 (PDT)

Michael,

Thanks for the suggestion.  I tried getting a 10MB file from an outside
site with no problem (about 10 times).  From inside our firewall I can 
get > 10MB files from ftp.x.org and from the other (Solaris) system on 
the same subnet as our wuftp/www server.  I'll have to do more testing,
but it looks like it's only through our firewall and only to the ftp
server that we have a problem.  FYI, I'll put the test file in
ftp://ftp.brooktree.com/pub/ftptest if perchance you wanted to try.

Thanks,
Boyd

"Previously Michael Brennen said:"