Subject: Group Controls for WUFTPD(V2.4) not working. Why?

From: Neil Movold <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 1995 10:22:12 -0400 (EDT)

I have been running WUFTPD V2.4 for some time now with no problems.  
However, recently I have had a need to use the Group Controls to allow a 
set of users to ftp into a seperate directory outside of the anonymous 
FTP root directory.

Following the instructions, I have entered in the appropriate information 
in the /etc/group and /etc/passwd files.  In the documentation, it is 
explained that the entry for the /etc/passwd file should look like 

guest1:LKJFsdfjASKJa:202:21:Guest FTP User:/users/guests/./guest1:/bin/false

The login directory field is supposed to be two pathnames, seperated by 
"/./".  The first pathname is the directory the guest user will be 
chroot()ed to, and the second is the pathname (relative to the chroot()ed 
directory)  of the guest user's login directory.

Both directories do exist on my system.  However, when I log in to FTP 
from another system, I get the following messages back from the WUFTPD 
Server:

          230-No directory! Logging in with home=/
          230 User guest1 logged in.
          Remote system type is UNIX.
          Using binary mode to transfer files.

I tried removing the first part of the login field and this worked, sort 
of.  I do get logged into the right directory outside the anonymous FTP 
root directory, but there is a real security problem with this.  When I 
was logged in, I was able to do a "cd /" and list the files in my systems 
root directory.  Yikes!!!

I am running V3.2b of OSF/1 with V2.4 of WUFTPD.

I would appreciate any suggestions anyone has.

	Thanks,

		Neil :-)

                     \\\//
                     (o o)
------------------ooO-(_)-Ooo-----------------------------------------
Neil Movold                     Phone  : +1 809 296-1800      
Special Operations Consultant   Fax    : +1 809 295-7269     
 ( i.e. the guy who has to 
        make it all work :-) )
Internet (Bermuda) Limited      E-mail : [email-masked]     
P.O. Box HM2445
Hamilton, Bermuda
HM JX

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 1995 15:36:27 +0200

rh> 
rh> Following the instructions, I have entered in the appropriate information 
rh> in the /etc/group and /etc/passwd files.  In the documentation, it is 
rh> explained that the entry for the /etc/passwd file should look like 
rh> 

Did you also enter the guestgroup information in ftpaccess?

Hope this is the one,

Ronald.

__
// Ronald Hello  ([email-masked])
// University of Twente
// Department of Computer Science
// The Netherlands