Subject: Access denial problem...

From: Peter Musca <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 1995 09:42:47 +0800 (WST)

Hi all,

I have been using wu-ftpd at three different company sites around the
world with no problems, until now.

The config goes like this:

There is no anonymous access.
At each site we have an ftp login for our other sites:
eg. in Perth (Australia) we have an ftp_uk login for our uk office and they
have an ftp_perth for us here in Perth.

Each home area is located under /home/ftp/ftp_[location]/
When they login they are chrotted to the their home area and are opnly
allowed access to this area.

The Problem.
At one of our sites when ever I login it prompts me for my usaername and
then my password. When I give the password it bombs out and returns this
message:

  331-(220 fire FTP server (Version wu-2.4(1) Sat Feb 18 13:40:36 CST 1995)
  ready.)
  331 Password required for ftp_perth.
  Password:
  530 Peer has closed connection
  Login failed.

I have also seen it return a message that an "illegal seek" was attempted.
But this only comes up sometimes.

The syslog message on the machine I am trying to connect to returns the
following message:

  Aug  1 08:39:10 fire ftpd[4516]: exiting on signal 11

and to just top it off when I type a close after being denied access I get
the following message:

  501 Use "authorize" command first

The whole thing is setup on Linux 1.2.0, running on 486's

Can anyone shed some light on this. I would appreciate any help as I had
all this working and now for some reason this one site refuses to work
while the rest are happily transferring data between each other.

PS. I also have what seems to be "the recurring ls problem", that is some
systems don't get a result from ls where others ihave no problem at all.

		...peter
--
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Peter Musca  
System/Network Administrator         Email: [email-masked]
World Geoscience Corp                Phone: +61-9-383-7833
Western Australia                      fax: +61-9-383-7166
----------------------------------------------------------------------