Subject: Stupidity or something on my part...

From: "Grant M. Fengstad" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 1995 13:18:10 -0700 (PDT)

I've set up the WU-FTPD on a IBM AIX system and anonymous FTP appears to 
be running very well.

When I attempt to log in using a "real" account, ftpd denies access.  
I've checked to verify that this account is not in the /etc/ftpusers 
file.  I know that this will be a simple oversight on my part.  Can 
anyone help?

---

From: [email-masked] (Ma Bell)
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 1995 15:41:27 -0400 (EDT)

> file.  I know that this will be a simple oversight on my part.  Can 

Try creating /etc/shells (or whatever it is defined as in pathnames.h) 
including all valid shells on the system. The FTP server attempts to 
determine whether or not to allow ftp connections based on the shell of 
the account you are ftping to.

---

From: Edward Murphy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 1995 19:19:44 -0500 (CDT)

I'm not sure it applies here, but if you can use password longer than the 
typical 8 characters in AIX then that may be a problem. When I installed 
WU-FTPD on our OSF/1 box, I was not able to log into "real" accounts when 
the anonymous worked fine. The problem turned out to be that the "crypt" 
procedure was tearing off only the first 8 characters of my password and 
ultimately the encrypted versions didn't match.

The solution was to use the procedure "bigcrypt" which did encrypted the 
whole password. Not sure if there's an equivalent for ACHES though.

Ed

   ----------------------------------------------------------------
			    Edward Murphy
	  [email-masked] * http://www.uno.edu/~emurphy