Subject: Changing Port #

From: "Richard W. Harris" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 1995 19:52:35 -0400 (EDT)

Is there anyway to change the port assignments from 20 and 21 to a higher 
unused port. I'm doing a school project and need to set it up without 
root access. Can this be done? Please respond ASAP.

---

From: "Kevin W. Mullet" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 1995 21:07:19 -0500 (CDT)

In response to Richard W. Harris:
[...]
>root access. Can this be done? Please respond ASAP.

If you have access to a 386 PC or better on which you can either trash
and reformat the drive, or create a small partition for this project, you
might find it a better idea to slap Linux on it and install WU-FTPD on
it.  That way you'll have root access to the machine and not have to
change FTP.

-KwM-

---

From: Navid Atoofi <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 1995 08:39:42 -0400 (EDT)

> root access. Can this be done? Please respond ASAP.

the prot have to have the permission to be connected by other ftpd's.
take a look at the /etc/services.

> .... without root access. Can this be done?
Not legally

NA