Subject: Irix

From: trylax <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 1995 17:49:44 -0400 (EDT)

Okay
I've recently compiled the wu-ftpd server.
I've run into a few problems. While the ftpd daemon works just fine,
it wont let me tar or gzip etc in any way shape or form.

i copied ls tar gzip to ~ftp/bin and made a soft link to 
~ftp/bin/compress to my gzip. Yet a: get <dir>.tar
comes back error. I did copy the ftpconversions file to /usr/etc as 
pathnames.h suggests and ckconfig reports everything where it belongs. 

also i cant get any of these directory message files to display. I was 
under the impression the a .message file in a dir would display on cd to 
that dir, yet i tried that and the files are not displayed. any special 
cavaets here?

if theres any fuller docs on setting this up please point me to thm? 

				Thanks,
				Ron

---

From: "Clarence Smith Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 1995 15:01:54 -0700 (PDT)

> that dir, yet i tried that and the files are not displayed. any special 

I seem to recall that /usr/local/etc/ftpaccess holds the permissions and 
conditions upon which messages are displayed (for instance at login 
time), heres a blurb from my system:

			message /etc/message LOGIN

where /etc/message is in (~ftp).  the message file is not a (.) file, and 
should be readable by everyone (someone please correct me if i'm wrong).

==============================================================================
Clarence Smith, Jr				    [email-masked]  
SysAdmin/Tech Webmaster/Programming                     Knowledge Base Project
		http://www.hitl.washington.edu/pub/people/csmith
==============================================================================

---

From: [email-masked] (Tony Lourick CALDEX 653-6168 )
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 95 15:00:52 PDT

I found the book Managing Internet Information Services by 
O'Reilly $ Associates, Inc to be very helpful.

Tony

[email-masked] 

>......

---

From: Stefan Rensing <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 1995 10:46:00 +0200 (MET DST)

> O'Reilly $ Associates, Inc to be very helpful.

That's funny. I run a wu server for two years now and always read those
postings saying the wu-ftp chapter in that book was _so_ great - well,
I got the book lately and had a look at that chapter out of curiousity
and have to say that it's complete crap. There is more information in
the original documentation (if you happen to read it). All the problems
people run into frequently and are not to be solved using the documentation
are not addressed. Just my two cents.

-Stefan.

-- 
Stefan A. Rensing             Institute of Biology II/III - Schaenzlestr. 1
The SysOp Biologist         D-79104 Germany, FON: +49 761 203-2676 / FAX: 2675
e-mail: [email-masked]  MUD: port 4242 on that <- host
http://www.biologie.uni-freiburg.de/data/people/lije.html IRC:Lije MUD:Aragorn
                                                      "I love you !" "I know."

---

From: [email-masked] (Tony Lourick CALDEX 653-6168 )
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 95 13:48:57 PDT

For Stefan:
 Read the second bullet.

=================
= RELEASE NOTES =
=================

WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY FTP SERVER, RELEASE 2.2 - Apr 1, 1994

For help setting up this server, you can try the following sources:
    o  The wu-ftpd mailing list.  To subscribe, send email with the
       message body of "subscribe wu-ftpd" to [email-masked]
       NOTE: I am subscribed to wu-ftpd, there is no need to mail me also.

    o  _Managing Internet Information Services_, An O'Reilly and Associates
       book.  Expected release: April/May.  This book has an excellent
       chapter on setting up anonymous ftp sites using standard ftp servers
       as well as the wu-ftp server.