Subject: Re: if you *do* have an /incoming...

From: Bill Pemberton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 1995 08:51:41 -0400 (EDT)

> 
> Looking under your anonymous tree for filenames with spaces, tabs, or control
> chars is a good way to quickly flag where those t00lZ and wareZ are being
> dropped.  An easy add to your nightly cronjob...  'Sides, you might pick
> up something interesting!
> 

Of course if you are running wu-ftpd, you can just make sure that filenames
with spaces, tabs, or control chars are not allowed.  This makes it much
less likely for folks to put pirated stuff on your server in the first place.

-- 
Bill Pemberton                           [email-masked]
ITC/Unix Systems                         [email-masked]
University of Virginia                   uunet!virginia!wfp5p

---

From: *Hobbit* <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 1995 07:31:24 -0400

_H*

---

From: Russell Street <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 1995 06:50:46 +1200 (NZT)

> up something interesting!

Putting:

path-filter anonymous /etc/allowed.filenames ^[-A-Za-z0-9\._]*$ ^\. ^-

in your ftpaccess file will (help) ensure they are not put there in
the first place!

Along with:

upload  /home/ftp       *               no
upload  /home/ftp       /incoming       yes root ftpadmin 0660 nodirs

Will make sure the uploaded files can not be downloaded from the
incoming directory.

and doing: chmod u=rwx,o=wx,g=wx,+t incoming

will mean uploaders can not see any files in the directory.

Russell
 -------------------------------------------------------------------
 Russell Street ([email-masked]) +64 (9) 373-7599 extn 6487
   UNIX Systems Programmer, Computer Centre, University of Auckland