Subject: Search-only upload dir: feature or bug?

From: Yanming PENG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 95 20:16:23 WETDST

Today, I found when I remove the public search from ~ftp/incoming
(for example, chmod ~ftp/incoming 773), ~ftp/incoming owned by root.wheel,
the upload keyword in ftpaccess no longer work correctly.
Platform: Linux 1.2.11 on Pentium 60S.

Here is part of /etc/ftpaccess:
# specify the upload directory information
upload  /home/ftp  *             no
upload  /home/ftp  /incoming/dl  no
upload  /home/ftp  /incoming/up  yes     root    rob  0660 nodirs
upload  /home/ftp  /bin          no
upload  /home/ftp  /etc          no

If I give the public search permission, everything goes OK.

If I take out the public search permission, there are follow problems:

1. the file/dir will be owned by ftp.bin instead of root.rob
(rob is defined in both ~ftp/etc/group and /etc/group)

2. can't upload in /incoming/up

3. can mkdir in /incoming/up (and downward), owned by ftp.bin,
permission 775.

If I put in /etc/ftpaccess:
upload  /home/ftp  *             yes  root    rob  0660 nodirs

Then people can upload to /incoming/up, but ownership still ftp.bin

The reason to remove the search permission from /incoming is that
I don't want different clients to see others' upload. I create different
dirs for different clients.

Any solution?

Yanming PENG

---

From: Yanming PENG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 95 20:29:37 WETDST

Sorry, in my previous post, I wrote the word "public search" that
should be "public read" (permission).

>Today, I found when I remove the public search from ~ftp/incoming
should be:
Today, I found when I remove the public read permission from ~ftp/incoming

[...]

>If I give the public search permission, everything goes OK.
If I give the public READ permission, everything goes OK.

> If I take out the public search permission, there are follow problems:
If I take out the public READ permission, there are follow problems:

[...]

Sorry for my mistake!

--
Yanming PENG