Subject: Timeouts during long file transfers

From: [email-masked] (Dennis M. O'Neill)
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 1995 13:38:17 -0600

We have some users who are trying to tranfer some very large files (> 500
MB) who are getting the following message:

250 CWD command successful.
200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for dmstk55 (323051520 bytes).
421 Timeout (3600 seconds): closing control connection.
local: /mnt/Outgoing/dmstk55 remote: dmstk55
240735620 bytes received in 3.6e+03 seconds (65 Kbytes/s)
Mon Jul 24 12:59:15 CDT 1995

I've quickly scanned the code and the only reference I can see no reference
to a timeout *during* a file transfer. The two constants in ftpd.c

int timeout = 900;              /* timeout after 15 minutes of inactivity */
int maxtimeout = 7200;          /* don't allow idle time to be set beyond 2
                                 * hours */

don't have anything to do with the 3600 seconds they talk about here.

Can anyone give me a pointer where to look?

Thanks,

Dennis

PS Please respond directly by e-mail as I'm not currently subsribed to the
list and I need to help this user ASAP.. Thx.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
* Dennis M. O'Neill                  [email-masked]  *
* Schlumberger Geco-Prakla                       (713) 596-6103 (Office) *
* 1325 S. Dairy Ashford                          (713) 596-1885 (FAX)    *
* Houston, TX 77077                                                      *
--------------------------------------------------------------------------