Subject: Can't open passive connection: No such file or directory.

From: "May we be forgiving of our systems' faults..." <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 1995 14:52:50 -0400 (EDT)

Jul 21 14:40:23 ias4 ftpd[21322]: command: PASV
Jul 21 14:40:23 ias4 ftpd[21322]: PASV
Jul 21 14:40:23 ias4 ftpd[21322]: <--- 425
Jul 21 14:40:23 ias4 ftpd[21322]: Can't open passive connection: No such file or directory.
Jul 21 14:40:23 ias4 ftpd[21322]: command: PORT 198,112,141,40,5,245
Jul 21 14:40:23 ias4 ftpd[21322]: PORT
Jul 21 14:40:23 ias4 ftpd[21322]: <--- 200
Jul 21 14:40:23 ias4 ftpd[21322]: PORT command successful.
Jul 21 14:40:23 ias4 ftpd[21322]: command: LIST
Jul 21 14:40:23 ias4 ftpd[21322]: LIST

	I applied a patch that Bryan gave me to enable PASV, yet I am
	getting that error.  I suspect I may be missing some library
	file or something.  Anyone seen this one before?  Thanks!

							Sean.

---

From: [email-masked] (Winfried Magerl)
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 1995 22:14:56 +0200 (MDT)

> 	file or something.  Anyone seen this one before?  Thanks!

I had a similar problem just befor two days. I installed wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-5
on a system with SINIX-5.42 (SVR4). After this our www-server (cern-httpd3.0)
fails to open the ftp-connection for proxy-clients.
The simply solution (I checked it after 1day) was that I have no
write-permission on ~/dev/tcp (may be I should read the manulapage
to the system-ftpd better). First I think it was an error in the
libsocket since the message was generated due to a failed open of
socket(). My message looks like this:
Can't open passive connection: permission denied
On your message I would say you don't have a ~/dev/tcp in your chroot.
I think the passive mode is the only method to open a socket after
the chroot and so it don't hurt users who don't connect the server
through the proxy-server (I don't know if other www-servers also
use passive mode, or should I say, befor this problem I never
heard from a passive mode :-)
You can simply check this with telnet:

telnet host.domain 21
USER ftp
PASS [email-masked]
PASV

regards

	winfried

-- 
Winfried Magerl - Internet Administration
Siemens Nixdorf AG, GP QM/S IF, 81739 Munich, Germany
Internet-Mail: [email-masked]