Subject: Use of SITE Command

From: [email-masked] (Dennis M. O'Neill)
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 1995 09:13:24 -0600

In trying to track down a problem I previously reported having to do with
timeouts during file transfers, I tried using the "SITE IDLE" command to
see what the idle timeout default and maximum settings were and found that
none of the SITE commands seem to work. I can't find anyhting in the docs
(other than SITE GPASS and SITE GROUP) about whether these need to be
enabled. How do I get to use these commands?

Thanks,

Dennis

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
* Dennis M. O'Neill                  [email-masked]  *
* Schlumberger Geco-Prakla                       (713) 596-6103 (Office) *
* 1325 S. Dairy Ashford                          (713) 596-1885 (FAX)    *
* Houston, TX 77077                                                      *
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Kevin W. Mullet" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 1995 09:57:12 -0500 (CDT)

In response to Dennis M. O'Neill:
[...]
>enabled. How do I get to use these commands?
[...]

The trick is to do "quote site blah" rather than just "site blah".
See the example below.  I hope it helps.

-KwM-
 Kevin Mullet
 Internet Support Services Mgr.
 Compass Net, Inc.

> ftp ftp.rice.edu
Connected to chico.rice.edu.
220 chico FTP server (Version wu-2.4(3) Fri Aug 19 18:37:44 CDT 1994) ready.
Name (ftp.rice.edu:kwm): anonymous
331 Guest login ok, send your complete e-mail address as password.
Password:
230 Guest login ok, access restrictions apply.
ftp> site idle
?Invalid command
ftp> quote site idle
200 Current IDLE time limit is 900 seconds; max 7200
ftp> quit
221 Goodbye.