Subject: Anonymous directory creation.

From: Bryan Holloway <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 1995 16:27:41 -0500 (CDT)

It's been mentioned several times in this mailing list that NO files or 
directories should be owned by ftp.

Why is it, then, that there appears to be no way to allow anonymous 
ftpers to create directories in incoming directories specified by the 
"upload" directive in /etc/ftpaccess without them being automatically 
owned by ftp.anon?

Where is this set?  Can the permissions (chmod) be changed as well?

I hope I'm missing something...  Thanks.

					- bryan

Bryan Holloway                       | [email-masked]
 Shouting Ground Technologies, Inc.   |  Ph. (217) 351-7921
  P.O. Box 5039 Station A              |  Fax (217) 351-7922
   Champaign, IL  61820                 |   http://www.shout.net/

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 1995 15:36:14 -0500 (CDT)

> Where is this set?  Can the permissions (chmod) be changed as well?

Check the 'upload' directive in ftpaccess -- it gives ownership and 
permissions on uploads.  My anon ftp root is /Public/ftp, and the 
following lines are taken from my ftpaccess file.

Hope it helps....
Michael Brennen

from ftpaccess:
# specify the upload directory information
upload  /Public/ftp  *             no
upload  /Public/ftp  /incoming     yes     root    daemon  0400 nodirs

---

From: Bryan Holloway <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 1995 16:59:33 -0500 (CDT)

This is, in fact, how I have things set up in /etc/ftpaccess.  

This works fine for people who upload just files and create no directories. 
The files show up with the correct owner, group and permission.  

However, directories created using MKDIR always show owner ftp, group anon,
and permission drwxrwxr-x. 

This would be fine, except that 

1) Files placed in newly created directories cannot be deleted by their
respective owners.  (They don't have permission to change the directory
contents since they aren't "ftp", and they don't belong to group "anon".)

2) Apparently it's not secure to have any files/directories owned by ftp.

Michael, what's the ownership on directories created in your incoming 
directory?

				- bryan

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 1995 16:32:55 -0500 (CDT)

> and permission drwxrwxr-x. 
<clip>
> Michael, what's the ownership on directories created in your incoming 

Well, I don't allow directories, actually.  My incoming directory is set
to write only - 0733 - so you cannot see the contents.  Incoming
permissions are set to root.daemon 0400 so the file cannot be read back. 
I don't want unknown/illicit/hacker_tools/etc floating through my ftp
site... 

If I remember right, there was a thread some time ago about this.  I don't
remember what the outcome was, though, so I may not be much help on this
one.  I don't remember if there was a daemon hack to fix it or not. 

Perhaps someone else can help out here???

Michael Brennen