Subject: new user - guest questions

From: [email-masked] (Debby Koren)
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 1995 13:58:54 +0200

I'm a recent user of the WU-FTPD.  I have a number of questions regarding
the guest users that I set up.

1)  I wasn't certain where I should put my group file:  should it be in /etc
or in /home/ftp/etc?  It didn't seem to make a difference in ftpd accepting
users defined in passwd with a chroot /./.  The /./ worked, i.e., the user
defined could not access anything other than the root defined for it.   How
is that group file used and how can I be sure that ftpd is using it?  I also
have a test user defined in passwd like a guest user, but the name does not
appear in the group file for the group "guests", and it doesn't seem to make
a difference!

2) In xferlog, if I did not add "guest" to my log transfer command, then no
logging appeared in xferlog for guest users.  When I added "guest" to the
list of types, it did log those users, but the type was listed as r (rather
than the expected g), which also makes me wonder whether I have my guest
accounts set up properly.

Thank you for your assistance.

------------------------------------------------------------
Debby Koren, Ph.D.                  Tel: +972 3 6459551
Technology Consultant               Fax: +972 3 498250
RAD Data Communications, Ltd.       email: [email-masked]
Tel Aviv, ISRAEL