Subject: Re: Groups & Permissions

From: "Ron Hensley -- A.K.A. Trylax" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 1995 12:47:36 -0400 (EST)

On Sun, 23 Jul 1995, Michael R. Thompson wrote:

> First, thanks to everyone who answered my previous question. It was an
> /etc/shells problem.
> 
Hmmm,
What was this fix.

When i first installed i accidentally had the -A switch (disable 
ftpaccess file) in my inetd.conf. Noone could log in, real or anonymous, 
till i realized i needed the /etc/shells file, with contents:
/bin/sh
/bin/bash
/bin/csh
/bin/tcsh

After creating that, all went well. for a while....
Then i realized i wasnt getting .message files and no .tarring of dirs.
Figured out i had accidentally disabled ftpaccess file usage in 
inetd.conf with that -A switch. So i removed it...and now nobody, 
anonymous or real can get in, they all get access denied. Acts like when 
i had no /etc/shells file. Simply put back -A again and everything works 
fine, so im inclined to think that the passwd and groups files are okay,
seems something in the default ftpaccess from doc/examples is disabling 
access to everyone.

			HELP!!!!
			Ron
p.s. Thanks in advance <G>

---

From: [email-masked] (Ma Bell)
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 1995 16:20:10 -0400 (EDT)

> seems something in the default ftpaccess from doc/examples is disabling 

Without seeing your ftpaccess file (hint,hint,hint), its hard to say 
what's wrong. The manual page for ftpaccess does a good job of explaining 
what needs to be in there. You may need to define a class, etc before 
users will be allowed to log in. Also check to make sure you haven't 
misconfigured another feature to deny access, which is being applied to 
all users.

Maybe even read the man page, if you are really desperate :)

---

From: "Ron Hensley -- A.K.A. Trylax" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 1995 16:57:00 -0400 (EST)

> Maybe even read the man page, if you are really desperate :)
If i found the answer in the manpage, would i be asking for help here? <G>

Contents of /etc/ftpaccess:
--------------------------------------------------------------
class   all   real,guest,anonymous  *

limit   all   1000   Any              /etc/msgs/msg.dead

readme  README*    login
readme  README*    cwd=*

message /welcome.msg            login
message .message                cwd=*

compress        yes             local remote
tar             yes             local remote

log commands real
log transfers anonymous,real inbound,outbound

shutdown /etc/shutmsg

email [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

/etc/shells: (Note we have no Bash)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
/bin/tcsh
/bin/csh
/bin/sh
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yet as i said, nobody can loggin now.

There is one entry for ftp in /etc/passwd and one entry in ~ftp/passwd 
for ftp. There is a group 'anonymous' defined in /etc/groups, and 
repeated with the same GID in ~ftp/group. Also the GID matches for user 
ftp in /etc/passwd and ~ftp/passwd, also the UID matches for ftp in 
/etc/passwd and ~ftp/passwd

well thats about it i guess...

				Thanks again if you can spot my stupid mistake,
				Trylax