Subject: ftp 'get' sometimes pauses until timeout (was Re: [HELP] PASVet bjt)

From: Boyd Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 1995 13:20:26 -0700 (PDT)

I sent this on Friday, but did not get any more messages on this mailing
list until Sunday.  My apologies if this is a duplicate, but I have not 
seen any responses.

This is not a timeout problem but is a "get" hanging problem.  Does the
following sound familiar to anybody?

"Previously Boyd Johnson said:"
> From [email-masked]  Fri Jul 21 13:19:44 1995
> 
> We seem to intermittently get timeouts when getting "large" (10MB) files
> from our new wu-ftpd server outside our firewall to systems inside.  It 
> used to work all the time when using HP's ftpd.  When it happens about 
> 2MB has been transferred in just a few seconds and it just sits for 15 
> minutes and times out.  Has anyone else had and solved this problem?
> 
> This is what I get:
> ftp> get bjt
> 200 PORT command successful.
> 150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for bjt (10818552 bytes).
> 421 Timeout (900 seconds): closing control connection.
> 2080768 bytes received in 5.84 seconds (347.89 Kbytes/s)
> ftp>