Subject: On-the-fly comp/decomp

From: Marc Russell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 1995 09:06:01 -0700 (PDT)

Hi there.  Last week I posted this problem, and received a single 
response, which did not help.  So here I go again.

I've set up ftpconversions with WU 2.4 (standard version, patched to 
allow the passive conenctions required by Web browsers) on Solaris 2.3.  
For a while, my conversions worked fine.  Now they don't.  I don't know 
if I've just completely forgotten the syntax for using them, or what.  
The executables are all in ~ftp/bin, ~ftp/bin is set at 111, my ftpaccess 
file has the following entries:

uncompress yes * 
compress yes * 
tar yes *

and my ftpconversions file is set up like this:

:.Z:  :  :/bin/compress -d -c %s:T_REG|T_ASCII:O_UNCOMPRESS:UNCOMPRESS
 :   : :.Z:/bin/compress -c %s:T_REG|T_ASCII:O_COMPRESS:COMPRESS
 :.gz: :  :/bin/gzip -d -c %s:T_REG|T_ASCII:O_UNCOMPRESS:GUNZIP
 :   : :.gz:/bin/gzip -9 -c %s:T_REG|T_ASCII:O_COMPRESS:GZIP
 :   : :.tar:/bin/tar -c -f - %s:T_REG|T_DIR:O_TAR:TAR
 :   : :.tar.Z:/bin/tar -c -Z -f - %s:T_REG|T_DIR:O_COMPRESS|O_TAR:TAR+COMPRESS
 :   : :.tar.gz:/bin/tar -c -z -f - %s:T_REG|T_DIR:O_COMPRESS|O_TAR:TAR+GZIP
 :.zip: : :/bin/unzip %s:T_REG|T_ASCII|T_DIR:O_UNCOMPRESS:UNZIP
 :   : : .zip:/bin/zip -9 %s:T_REG|T_DIR|T_ASCII:O_COMPRESS:ZIP

When I try to get the file ls-lR.Z to come over as an ASCII file rather 
tha compressed, I've been doing this:

ftp> get ls-lR

The way I understand the conversions, if the file ls-lR.Z exists in 
the current directory, then getting the file ls-lR should tell wuftpd to 
give me the uncompressed ls-lR.Z.  Is this right?

Thanks in advance!

marc russell
------------------
[email-masked]
[email-masked]