Subject: Problems with exec's. in anonymous

From: [email-masked] (Simon Wilkinson)
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 1995 16:07:09 -0300 (BST)

Hi there.

I'm having a slight? problem trying to get wuftpd-2.4 to work.
I have managed to get all the code to compile correctly (it would appear),
and tested the ftpd daemon with loggin's as myself, which all appears to work
fine.

However, having created a user 'ftp' and created the file hierarchy under
~ftp, when I try to login as anonymous the ls command (and all other exec's)
fail when invoked with a message:-

425 Can't create data socket (0.0.0.0,20): Bad file number.

Presuming this to be a problem incurred by the CHROOT command that ftpd
performs with an anonymous login, I moved the executable 'ls' to the
~ftp/bin directory and tracked down all of the library files that it calls
with the 'ldd' command, moving them to the ~ftp/usr/lib directory.
Unfortunately this still didn't work.  So, getting pretty desperate, I moved
the entire /usr/lib directory to ~ftp/usr/lib with no results.

The only other thing I could think of was to recompile the ftpd code, checking
that the _PATH_EXECPATH entry within src/pathnames.h was set correctly to
/bin (it's relative to ~ftp I think).  This too produced no noticeable affect.

I have attempted to compile the GNU versions of 'ls' and similar commands
as static but had no luck in getting them to successfully compile.

Please could someone help me??

Thanks for any help..

Si.

---

From: [email-masked] (Kelly Setzer)
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 1995 12:43:57 -0500 (CDT)

> 425 Can't create data socket (0.0.0.0,20): Bad file number.

You need /dev/zero and /dev/tcp in your ftp area.

Kelly