Subject: some answers; one question left.

From: "Richard D. Yentis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 1995 14:56:24 -0400

In my previous post I had three questions with respect to setting up
wu-ftpd on a DEC Alpha running OSF/1 ver.2.  Two of which I finally
found the answer to, one is still outstanding.

I am still unable to get command logging for anonymous users.  I have
determined, through testing, that the problem is that OSF is not
printing syslogs to the log file after the chroot().  Note that the
syslog() function returns 0 meaning that it succeeded (but nothing
appears in the log file.)  If anyone has any ideas please let me know. 

(Since the xferlog does work I can write a replacement syslog()
function that writes to a file, just like the xferlog does, but I
would rather use the real syslog() if possible.)  

I am giving the solution to the other problems in case it helps
others:

	1)  The "bib" directory was ignored.  I had the macro set up
wrong in the pathnames.h file.  I thought that it was working since
"dir" and "ls" worked when "ls" was in /bin, but it seems that ls is
hard coded into /bin while the "site exec" uses the info in
pathnames.h.

	2) In order to get the group and user info to show up when
doing an ls on an OSF/1 box you need to have a directory called
/etc/sia with some files in it.  This is not mentioned in the wu-ftpd
info, but was in the original OSF/1 ftpd man page.

Thanks,

Rich

---

From: "Richard D. Yentis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 1995 00:28:11 -0400

I found the solution to my problem of not being able to log the
commands of anonymous users.

According to John Kohl ([email-masked]) the syslog() that comes with
OSF must see the /dev/log file in order to function.  Since it can not
see this file after the chroot() the logging no longer occurs.  To fix
the problem I got, compiled, and linked in a copy of the BSD syslog().
This solved the problem.

Rich