Subject: ftpaccess doesn't work?

From: Carl Payne <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 95 15:20:42 -0600

I'm going to assume the list is broken or something and re-post  
this question:

Why wouldn't wu-ftpd consult its own ftpaccess file?

I say this because said file says right in it: allow this host and  
this host and this host to have real access, but that doesn't work

Said file says "class	anonymouses	anonymous	*", but  
people are constantly complaining that I don't allow anonymous ftp  
access.

What is the deal?  Somebody with at least half a brain (which is,  
apparently, more than I have), please point out my error so this  
^#&@ thing will work.  Thanks

Carl

---

From: Gary Parker (Ph-15113/Pg-966-0269) <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 1995 22:11:31 -0400 (EDT)

Carl Payne was rumored to have said ...
> ^#&@ thing will work.  Thanks

It may be as simple as whitespace.  What type of whitespace appears between
each of the fields on the class line?  Mine uses spaces only, no tabs.  I
don't remember why I used spaces as I ordinarily would have used tabs, but
it may have been for that reason.  My class lines look like:

	class   local	real,anonymous *.cldx.com
	class   remote  real,anonymous *

How are 'real' users treated?  Do they get in OK, or are they turned away
as well.  Check also the password checking restrictions you have in place.
If it says 'rfc822 enforce' they need to input a [email-masked]
for the password.

WU-Ftpd works great once you get past the initial configuration bugaboos.

Honest.

-- 

==  ========  Gary W. Parker                         | E-Mail: [email-masked]
============  Systems Administrator                  | Phone:  716-781-5113
====    ====  Johnson & Johnson Clinical Diagnostics |         716-781-9468
===      ===  Equipment Design & Manufacturing       | Fax:    716-781-5018
====    ====  ---------------------------------------+------------------------
============  Views expressed herein are the sole responsibility of the
============  author and do not necessarily represent Johnson & Johnson, Inc.

---

From: Matthew Bailey <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 1995 22:43:14 -0400 (EDT)

I saw at one time on this list a person posted that they had download 
directories.

something like

download /full/path/to/source  /path/to/show/relative/to/chroot/ftp

If this is possible would someone elplain it to me since
I would like to have the users using diskspace from inside their accounts 
for the sake of keeping my life sane.

PS. I know I would have to make an entry for FTP account user then.
Thanks again
Matthew S. Bailey
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Koos van den Hout _U nix and we all_)
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 95 9:09:33 MET DST

> people are constantly complaining that I don't allow anonymous ftp  

Have you tried checking it out yourself what the exact error is ?

Anyway, besides selecting a class, you will probably have to set a limit
too.. like

limit	anonymouses	100	Any	/var/spool/ftpd/msgs/msg.toomany

                                       Grtz. KH

-- 
  Koos van den Hout,           Internetter, Unix freak and BBS SysOp at large
  [email-masked] (Home)        BBS Koos z'n Doos (+31-3402-36637 28k8)
  [email-masked] (Work)  <-- finger for PGPkey       (+31-3402-56619 14k4)
  http://www.hvu.nl/~koos (WWW)    Looking for a license plate with "RFC 822"
  GCS d- p(-) c++(+++) l+ u+++ e++ m+(-) s+/- !n h f+ g+ w(++) t+ r !y(*)