Subject: broken PASV connects

From: Marc Russell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 1995 09:11:29 -0700 (PDT)

I know this has been asked before, but I can't find the info in my mailbox.

Does anyone have a patch to fix the broken PASV connections that people 
get using Mosaic or Netscape when connecting to my Solaris 2.3 wuftpd 2.4 
host?

Thanks (very much) in advance,

marc
---------
[email-masked]		        
[email-masked] [Washington State Information Exchange (InfoX)]

---

From: Michael Assels <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 1995 14:19:53 -0400

Marc Russell <[email-masked]> wrote:

:I know this has been asked before, but I can't find the info in my mailbox.
:
:Does anyone have a patch to fix the broken PASV connections that people 
:get using Mosaic or Netscape when connecting to my Solaris 2.3 wuftpd 2.4 
:host?

And a couple of days earlier, I wrote:

:I'm running wu-ftpd-2.4 on a Sparc 1+ (SunOS 4.1.3).  Ftpd is started
:from inetd with the command line "ftpd -l -a".  Everything works
:properly except that I regularly get connections that seem to hang forever
:(at least for days) without being timed out.  This seems to happen with
:about 3% of connections.
:
:The hung connections appear in several different TCP states, most
:commonly CLOSE_WAIT.  Quite often, netstat shows a socket in LISTEN
:state, always corresponding to a zombie in the process table.

I received an answer suggesting that I use the -t and -T command line
options, but that didn't work.

I tried tracing the hung processes with 'trace -p <pid>'.  In every case
(a) the trace causes the process to wake up and terminate, and (b) the
process turns out to have been hanging on a broken PASV connection.

So, to shorten a long story before it gets longer, I suspect I probably
need the same patch that Marc is asking for (but for SunOS 4.1.3).  I'd
appreciate it if I could get a copy too, if it exists.

Thanks.

Michael

---

From: robert chea <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 1995 14:27:05 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,
I'm new to this group so I hope I'm not asking a stupid 
question.  I want to create accounts so that guests can update
their directories by FTP (put,get,delete,etc.) .  However, I don't
want these users to be able to change out of their home directory.
How is this done?  Thanks for any help.

Robert