Subject: Re: wu-ftpd not writing to xferlog

From: [email-masked] (Kenneth D. Shaw)
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 95 15:27:34 MDT

In reply to Wallace Winfrey's problem of ftpd not writing to xferlog, it
looks like some things are missing from the appropriate line in his ftpaccess; 
his line reads

log transfer real guests anonymouses inbound,outbound

It should read:

log transfers real,guest,anonymous inbound,outbound

i.e., the commas are missing and two of the arguments are misspelled.

I hope this helps.

While I am at it, I also experienced a problem with ftpd not writing to xferlog
when the ftpaccess file was disabled and the switches -io were used; i.e.,
the call to fptd in inetd.conf was 

ftpd -Aio

Anyone have any ideas on this?

K. Shaw
[email-masked]

---

From: wallace winfrey <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 1995 16:49:27 -0500 (CDT)

> i.e., the commas are missing and two of the arguments are misspelled.

It did. But just so I don't appear as a crappy copy editor, I was 
referencing ORA's _Managing Internet Information Services_. In their section 
on wu-ftpd, p. 86, they give this syntax:

log transfer type [type ...] direction [,direction]
    ^^^^^^^^       ^^^^^ 
    (no s)         (comma not included in syntax)

apparently this is either a typo or reflective of the version of wu-ftpd 
they were working with when this was written. 

next time i'll read the man pages more thoroughly:

log transfers <typelist> <directions>

...<typelist> is a comma-separated list of any of the keywords 
"anonymous", "guest" and "real".

thanks for your help, and watch out for technical documentation typos!

--
wallace winfrey			
[email-masked]

"space migration, intelligence increase and life extension"
					*tim leary*