Subject: Re: Can't Connect (fwd)

From: Thomas Leavitt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 1995 18:56:29 -0700 (PDT)

> 
> > Is there a difference in speed between uploads and downloads? Thank
> >you for the input, and please let us know if the problem occurs again.
> 
> Huge difference ! I just downloaded a 23k file in 9.7 seconds (1358 bps
> according to fetch). I then uploaded the same file in 2' 40"! It took a
> minute ten seconds just to acknowledge completion of the first 8k!! When
> I'm uploading graphics, I start then go to dinner or something <g>.
> 

What kind of problem would cause behavior like this? Could it be
a configuration issue on his end? Server load on our end? Any information
would be appreciated.

Sincerely,
Thomas Leavitt

--
Web Communications (sm)            Thomas [email-masked]
Voice: (408) 457-9671 x101         Lead Systems & Network Admin./Tech Suppt.
 
Web Communications Home Page <URL:http://www.webcom.com/>

---

From: Michael Brennen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 1995 08:31:52 -0500 (CDT)

> a configuration issue on his end? Server load on our end? Any information

What kind of a serial link is [s]*he on?  PPP?  SLIP?  Are any similar
problems occuring on this link (14.4 dialup I assume, given the transfer
speed and your business) on other connections?

If no one else is seeing similar behaviour on your end, I would look to 
the serial link on the other end.

This may be *completely* unrelated, but there was a prolonged thread
recently on the Linux networking list re PPP links that showed similar
symptoms.  All of it was related to Van Jacobsen compression on PPP links. 
Mismatch and/or buggy software between this fellow and his ISP could cause
some of this.  This gets into the client software, the ISP's terminal
server, etc. and can be a bit of a can of worms to sort out. 

Good luck with it...

Michael Brennen
Intecom, Inc.