Subject: multiple domains ?

From: [email-masked] (Bret Schuhmacher)
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 1995 18:06:11 -0500

Ok, I've been lurking awhile and haven't seen any mention of it, so
I'll ask:

With all the hoopla about virtual domains on one server in the WWW
arena, has anyone created a virtual domained ftp area?  By this I mean
if you have a machine that responds to ftp.abc.com and ftp.xyz.com, is
it possible to chroot to two separate areas depending on the domain?
I've accomplished this with mail and WWW, but I haven't been able to
do it with ftp.

I've looked at the code and I don't think it would be too difficult to
add a couple of directives to the config file, but I don't have the
time to do it myself... Has anyone done this and I've just missed
something simple in the docs?

Thanks in advance,

Bret Schuhmacher
 ____________________________________________________________________________
 Bret A. Schuhmacher                          eMail: [email-masked]
 Technical Director, WebNet Technologies      URL: http://www.wn.com
 Voice/FAX: 214.821.0848                      Pager: 214.816.0283
 ____________________________________________________________________________

---

From: Brian Kramer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 1995 19:11:16 -0400 (EDT)

I've done this.  If you'd like the code let me know and I'll mail it to you.
If I get enough responses I'll put it up on our ftp site.

Brian Kramer - Owner/Systems Administrator - [email-masked]
New Jersey Computer Connection - Public Access Unix Site - pluto.njcc.com
Voice: 609-896-2799 - Fax: 609-896-2994 - Dialups: 609-896-3191 & 896-2722
Web: http://www.njcc.com/  Telnet/Dialup: pluto.njcc.com login as guest.

---

From: Steve Kaczkowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 95 19:02:49 -0500

>Web: http://www.njcc.com/  Telnet/Dialup: pluto.njcc.com login as guest. 

Please post it! I'm sure there are lots of others out there that could use such a wonderful
piece of code!

---

From: Chris Woods <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 1995 00:54:19 -0400 (EDT)

> If I get enough responses I'll put it up on our ftp site.

Betcha got a lot of response! Is it up on your ftp site yet? ;-) In any 
case, I, too, would like to get a peek at how you implemented this.

Thanks in advance!

//^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^\\
\\ Christopher J. Woods       800-236-9737       Senior Network Manager //
// [email-masked]   http://www.usa1.com    USAinternet, Inc.      \\
\\     The opinions stated in the above message do not necessarily      //
// represent the opinions or policy of USAinternet, Inc. or its staff.  \\
\\vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv//

---

From: Brian Kramer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 1995 06:00:18 -0400 (EDT)

> case, I, too, would like to get a peek at how you implemented this.
Wierd, the first time I mentioned it on the list, no even one person asked.
This time there were tons.  It's up on ftp.njcc.com/pub/njccc.

Basically you just add one line per virtual domain to the ftpaccess file.
I think the patch is mainly about 20 lines or so.  The rest of the patch 
updates the 50 makefiles.