Subject: Re[2]: Are 2 DAEMONs too much?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 95 11:16:18 CST

Yes, I'm sure.  When I connect, it specifically tells me that I'm 
     running the "WU-FTPD" version.
     
     What I'm really trying to ask is if it is possible to run 2 ftp 
     daemons from different ports.
     
     Does anyone know?

                                        Thanks
     
                                        Long Nguyen
                                        [email-masked]

______________________________ Reply Separator _________________________________
Subject: RE: Are 2 DAEMONs too much? 
Author:  [email-masked] at Internet-NO
Date:    6/9/95 9:30 AM

Are you sure you're not running the original SCO ftpd?  Check the ordering 
on your path and see if you might be fetching the old ftpd first.  The 
actual name of the program should be unimportant.
     
---------------
Michael Brennen                    Intecom, Inc. 
[email-masked]               5057 Keller Springs 
(214) 447-8074                     Dallas,  TX  75248

On Thu, 08 Jun 95 18:11:54 CST  [email-masked] wrote:
>     We were handling ftp on a SCO UNIX platform using the SCO UNIX ftpd.  
>     When I tried to run WU-FTPD simultaneously ( giving the WU-FTPD a 
>     different name in etc/services and etc/inetd.cnf), WU-FTPD  says 
>     "service not available".  
>     
>     But when I run WU-FTPD by itself under the name ftpd, it works.  
>     Are 2 daemons too much or does it not like the name I gave it 
>     (wuftpd).

---

From: Marc Russell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 1995 09:32:58 -0700 (PDT)

Yes, it is possible.  Just make sure that you have both listed in your 
services file, on different ports, with names that correspond to your 
inetd.conf file.  Here's an example of what I did on my Sun SPARC10 w/ 
Solaris 2.3 (yours is probably different):

/etc/ientd.conf:

ftp    stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/in.ftpd       in.ftpd
wuftpd	stream	tcp	nowait	root	/usr/local/sbin/ftpd	ftpd

/etc/services:

ftp	21
ftp-data	20

wuftpd	6001
wuftpd-data	6000

After we were done testing, I just changed a couple lines to get wuftpd 
running as ftp on 21.

> actual name of the program should be unimportant.

marc
---------
[email-masked]		        
[email-masked] [Washington State Information Exchange (InfoX)]