Subject: Welcome messages

From: [email-masked] (Derald McMillan)
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 1995 10:44:10 -0400 (EDT)

I recently logged into the Oracle ftp server and got the following output:

Connected to ftp.oracle.com.
220 www-2.us.oracle.com FTP server (Version wu-2.4(4) Tue Dec 20 15:50:10 PST 1994) ready.
Name (ftp.oracle.com:root): ftp
331 Guest login ok, send your complete e-mail address as password.
Password:
230-Welcome to Oracle Corporation's annonymous FTP server
230-
230-The 90-day trial versions of Personal Oracle 7 for Windows,
230-Oracle Workgroup Server for NT, Oracle Workgroup Server for
230-Netware, and Oracle Objects can be found under the /pub/www
230-subdirectory.
230-
230-If you have any problems with this site, please send e-mail 
230-to [email-masked].  
230-
230-Anonymous ftp logins are allowed 24 hours a day 7 days a week.
230-
230-Hello user at chssun1.nwschs.sea06.navy.mil 
230-There are 42 (max 400) archive users in your class at the moment. 
230-
230-Local time is Wed Jun 14 07:40:45 1995
230-    
230-All transfers are logged with your host name and email address.
230-If you don't like this policy, disconnect now!
230-
230-
230 Guest login ok, access restrictions apply.

What I would like to know is how to include the date, the machine, and the
count of users out of a class to someone as they are logging in.
As you can see they are using wu-2.4, and I'm assuming that they haven't
made any changes to the source.  Can anyone tell me how this was done?

Thanks in advance,

Derald

---

From: [email-masked] (Derald McMillan)
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 1995 10:57:23 -0400 (EDT)

Sorry to clutter the list...but my .sig was cut off in the last transmission
and I wanted to let potential responders know my e-mail address.

-- 
'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'
Derald H McMillan III
 
SolTech Systems Corporation
1180 Sam Rittenberg Blvd.		 Phone: 803-556-2500
Suite 310				 Fax:   803-556-2596 
Charleston, SC 29407			 email: [email-masked]	
http://www.soltech.com

         "Out the 10Base-2, through the router, over the leased line,
             off the bridge, past the firewall...nothing but Net"
                             -Gary Predmore
'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`

---

From: Navid Atoofi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 1995 15:23:59 GMT

it has been explained in ftpaccess.5 mannual page.

--------------------------------------------------------------
  There can be "magic cookies" in the readme  file  which
          cause  the  ftp  server  to  replace  the cookie with a
          specified text string:

                %T      local time  (form  Thu  Nov  15  17:12:42
          1990)
                %F      free space in partition of CWD (kbytes)
                        [not supported on all systems]
                %C       current  working  directory           %E
          the maintainer's email address as defined in ftpaccess
                %R      remote host name
		%L      local host name
                %U      username given at login time
                %M      maximum allowed number of users  in  this
          class
                %N      current number of users in this class
--------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 1995 12:17:36 -0500

>>>>> "DM" == Derald McMillan <[email-masked]> writes:

DM> What I would like to know is how to include the date, the machine, and
DM> the count of users out of a class to someone as they are logging in.
DM> [...] Can anyone tell me how this was done?

They read the man pages; from ftpaccess(5):

     message <path> {<when> {<class> ...}}
          Define a file with <path> such that ftpd  will  display
          the contents of the file to the user login time or upon
          using the change working directory command.  The <when>
          parameter  may be "LOGIN" or "CWD=<dir>".  If <when> is
          "CWD=<dir>", <dir> specifies the new default  directory
          which will trigger the notification.

          The optional <class> specification allows  the  message
          to  be displayed only to members of a particular class.
          More than one class may be specified.

                %T      local time
                        (form  Thu  Nov  15  17:12:42 1990)
                %F      free space in partition of CWD (kbytes)
                        [not supported on all systems]
                %C      current  working  directory
                %E      the maintainer's email address as defined
                        in ftpaccess
                %R      remote host name
                %L      local host name
                %U      username given at login time
                %M      maximum allowed number of users  in  this
                        class
                %N      current number of users in this class

          The message will only be displayed once to avoid annoy-
          ing  the  user.   Remember that when MESSAGEs are trig-
          gered by an anonymous FTP  user,  the  <path>  must  be
          relative  to  the  base  of the anonymous FTP directory
          tree.
---
 Jason L. Tibbitts III - [email-masked] - 713/743-8687 - 221SR1
   System Admin:  Texas Center for Advanced Molecular Computation 
         1994 PC800 "Kuroneko"      DoD# 1723       GM/CS/S
d--- -p+ c++++ l++ u+++ e+ m---(++) n--- s/-- h* f+ g+ w+ t- r- y+**