Subject: wu-ftpd on an SGI

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 95 15:31:59 MDT

Hi,

	I'm trying to install wu-ftpd-2.4 on an Indy running IRIX 5.2, but 
	I'm having trouble with "ls". If I go in as anonymous ftp and do an
	ls then it lists the files, if I do a "dir" or "ls -l" then I get nothing
	and will continue to get nothing from then on. If I do a "cd" into a 
	known directory the command succeeds. At first I thought that it was
	because "ls" uses shared files, so I compiled my own static ls and put
	it in place, still no change. Also if I ftp from within the same machine
	then ls does not work at all. Does anyone know why I'm having this problem.
	I've read all the FAQ's and IRIX ftp man pages but nothing seems to help.

	Finally, in order to compile wu-fptd I had to set an environment variable
	"SGI_IRIX4", otherwise it would not compile. It also complained at link
	time about a "gettxt" undefined. I had to comment it out to compile. Is
	this the source of my problem? It doesn't seem likely. Anyways any guidance
	I can get would be greatly appreciated.

-------------------------------------------
|     Abel Sanchez                        |
|     [email-masked]                 |
-------------------------------------------

---

From: wallace winfrey <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 1995 17:10:24 -0500 (CDT)

>From the IRIX ftp man page:

~ftp/bin  Make this directory owned by the super-user and unwritable by
          anyone (mode 555).  The program ls(1) must be present to sup-
          port the list commands.  This program should have mode 111.

~ftp/lib Make this directory own by the super-user and unwritable by
         anyone (mode 555).  In order for ls to run, the files
	 /lib/rld and /lib/libc.so.1 must be copied into lib.  Rld and
         libc.so.1 should be readable and executable by everyone (mode 555).

Hope this helps. You can also get an inst-able port of wu-ftpd for IRIX 
5.3 (dunno if it'll run under 5.2) from cb-iris.stanford.edu/pub/5.3/

--
wallace winfrey
[email-masked]

"space migration, intelligence increase and life extension"
					*tim leary*

---

From: [email-masked] (Mischa Reinhardt)
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 1995 16:17:22 +0200 (MESZ)

I have had problems with ls on 5.2 too. I changed the ls from 5.2 to an older
( and bigger) IRIX ls Version (4.05 or 5.1.1 ?) - after this everything works.

Hope that helps, Mischa
--
 *======================================================================*
|| Mischa Reinhardt   <http://www.biologie.uni-freiburg.de/mischa.html> ||
 *======================================================================*