Subject: problem with ls under IRIX 5.3

From: wallace winfrey <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 May 1995 19:52:17 -0500 (CDT)

Is this not *the* most-asked question on this list? However, I went
through the preliminary procedures before asking about this mystical
process (i.e., searched through the list archives, read the FAQ, asked
other sysadmins) but I have yet to get ls(dir) working properly. I set up
my archive by the book according to the 5.3 ftpd man page (and the wu-ftpd
man page), esp. with regard to the needed files in ~ftp/lib (namely rld
and libc.so.1)

Here's my problem:

Local logins (ftp 0) by regular users can't get a listing of files with
either ls or dir. If I ftp in remotely, regular users can get a listing 
with ls, but can't get a long listing with dir.

Anonymous logins are no problem though, the long listings appear fine.

Anyone know what I'm missing? Perhaps it has to do with the
~ftp/etc/passwd or group files? 

thanks in advance...

--
wallace winfrey			
[email-masked]

"space migration, intelligence increase and life extension"
					*tim leary*

---

From: Keith Pilotti <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 May 1995 18:54:19 -0700

Double check your ftp environment -- I had a similar problem that was
due to mismatch of dynamic libraries.  On my SunOS4.1.3 system, my ftp
area has:

/bin/ls -l /pkg/wu-ftpd/ftppublic/usr/lib
total 1120
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root        40960 Jan 20  1994 ld.so
-rw-r--r--  1 root       532480 Feb  2  1994 libc.so.1.9.1
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root        24576 Jan 20  1994 libdl.so.1.0

At least with SunOS, there is a "chroot" command that you can use to
test your environment.

% chroot ~ftp

and then try to do an ls and see what happens.  It may reveal clues.

+Keith
--
Keith Pilotti                                           [email-masked]
QUALCOMM UNIX Computer Support Team                     +1 619 658 x4555

---

From: Norby Anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 May 1995 21:28:45 -0700 (PDT)

As wallace winfrey once said,
>Is this not *the* most-asked question on this list? However, I went

Probably ... I have a slightly different problem though ... neither real
or anonymous ftp users can get anything other than the 'built-in' ls
of wuftpd ... this problem has only surfaced recently, as the FTP server
used to work just fine, but now doesn't.  I tried a fresh compile, but
it has the same problem, so I think it's a system problem somehow.

(The system is Ultrix 4.4, so there is no dynamic anything, and I have
 the svc.conf in the etc directory ...)

I have yet to check the FAQ & archives ... maybe tomorrow.

-/\/orby