Subject: Re: chown command, etc for wuftpd?

From: [email-masked] (Dave Wolfe)
Date: Mon, 8 May 1995 11:59:35 -0500 (CDT)

[ Ye He writes: ]
> 
> Is it so that if I put more in ~ftp/bin, then an ftp user can use
> more, and the same thing holds for chown, etc?  However without
> more in ~ftp/bin, I can still do "get file |more", and with chown
> there, I still cannot do chown (however chmod IS recognized by
> wuftpd).  Could someone tell me what the relationship between the
> system commands and the wuftpd commands? If I want an ftp user to 
> be able to chown his or her files, what should I do?  Thanks much.

I don't find a chown anywhere in wu-ftpd but it'd be a big security
problem to allow ftp to chown files. Most systems don't allow anyone
other than root to chown a file anyway. If you set up guest logons
instead of anonymous ftp, each user runs as themselves and owns all
files they create.

As for the relationship between executables in the chroot environment
and wu-ftpd commands, wu uses some external (to itself) command
processors, e.g. ls, tar, gzip, compress (all but ls are specified in
the ftpconversions file); others present can be accessed via the 'site
exec file' command.

-- 
 Dave Wolfe    *Not a spokesman for Motorola*  (512) 891-3246
 Motorola MMTG  6501 Wm. Cannon Dr. W. OE112  Austin  TX  78735-8598

---

From: Troy Morrison <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 May 1995 11:19:42 -0700 (PDT)

> > be able to chown his or her files, what should I do?  Thanks much.

Realize that the "chmod" you are using is being provided by the ftpd and 
*not* the ~ftp/bin/chmod program you installed.  Similarly, the more 
command you're running executes on the machine running ftp, NOT the 
server running ftpd.

As far as "how to let an ftp user chown his or her files", I can only 
suggest, as Dave Wolf did, looking into the "site exec command" syntax 
(although you may have problems, as Dave pointed out, because usually 
only root can chown files).

Troy

---

From: Ye He <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 May 1995 11:31:51 -0400 (EDT)

Howdy,

--
Ye