Subject: Ownership of anon. uploads.

From: Thomas Leavitt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 May 1995 12:30:02 PDT

We are using the CTSNET patch, and notice that when the anonymous
user uploads to a publicly writeable directory created by a guestgrouped
user, the file ownership and group is converted to that of the user:
very convenient, as it allows users to create uploadable directories,
without the need to have access to chown, or to worry about people
being able to upload files for others to download (the automagic
perms are set to user only readable/writeable).

However, this convenient little trick doesn't translate to
creation of directories... directories are created as owned by
the anonymous user, with the anonymous user only having permission
to write to and read the directory and files.

This is obviously a problem for our users and us...

The best solution would be to make the directories change ownership
to the user owning the parent as well.

Alternatively, we would like to be able to remove "directory"
creation permission for the anonymous FTP user only.

Thomas
--
Web Communications (sm)            Thomas [email-masked]
Voice: (408) 457-9671 x101         Lead Systems & Network Admin./Tech Suppt.
 
Web Communications Home Page <URL:http://www.webcom.com/>

---

From: Forrest Aldrich <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 May 1995 15:47:53 -0400 (EDT)

| We are using the CTSNET patch, and notice that when the anonymous
[ ... ]

	CTSNET patch?  Where is this available?

---

From: "Morgan Davis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 May 1995 15:45:47 -0700 (PDT)

> perms are set to user only readable/writeable).

Thomas,

Do you know if my patch ever made it into wu-ftpd as an official
feature?  I had designed the patch so that it could be made part of
the official stuff without changing the default behavior of wu-ftpd.

> to the user owning the parent as well.

If they've incorporated my patch into the current sources, I'd be
happy to work on updating it to include creating subdirectories with
the same permissions and ownerships as their parents.

> creation permission for the anonymous FTP user only.

I'm pretty sure you can configure this into wu-ftpd already.

> Thomas

--Morgan Davis

P.S.  Be sure to Cc: replies to [email-masked] as I do not participate
in this mailing list.

    ___ ____ ___ 
   /     /  /__   Network  |  Tel (619) 637-3637  |  Mail: [email-masked]
  /__   /  ___/  Services  |  Fax (619) 637-3630  |  WWW: http://www.cts.com

---

From: Thomas Leavitt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 May 1995 19:38:02 PDT

Morgan,

 I am not sure whether or not your patch is official. (this message
 is being sent only to you, not to the list)

 I did try to disable the ability to create directories, and it did
 not seem to work. Have you actually been able to do this? If so,
 I would sincerely appreciate being sent the appropriate line from
 your "ftpaccess" file.

 I must saw, I was rather surprised when I noticed that the owner-
 ship of uploaded files had changed. That is very useful! If we could
 just disable the "ftp" user's ability to create directories, everything
 would be perfect. Users could make directories publicly writable,
 without any worry of abuse.

Sincerely,
Thomas Leavitt