Subject: Local/Zulu time in wuftp.log

From: "TSgt Todd C. Knauer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 May 1995 10:53:27 -0500 (CDT)

Just curious, from all the info I have read that comes with wu-ftpd the 
program should log file transfers with the "local" time stamp.  Mine is 
logging "Zulu" time.  I am running on an RS/6000, can I make it log local 
time?

							Todd

---------------------------------------------------
              United States Air Force
    Environmental Technical Applications Center
---------------------------------------------------
Todd Knauer        -  [email-masked]
Network Management -  Network Administrator
Scott AFB, Il.     -  System/Application Programmer
---------------------------------------------------

---

From: David Hinds <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 May 1995 09:11:58 -0700 (PDT)

> logging "Zulu" time.  I am running on an RS/6000, can I make it log local 

I bet this happens for the same reason it happens on IRIX 5.3.  The
reason is that wu-ftpd does some evil stuff to change its process name
as displayed by "ps", by writing over the "argv" strings it gets at
startup.  The problem is that under IRIX 5.3 (and AIX, I guess), these
are followed in memory by environment strings that include the TZ
string, which is used by the syslog() library function when it gets
the time stamp.  So, wu-ftpd clobbers the TZ.

In your config file (under src/config), change:

#define SETPROCTITLE

to:

#undef SETPROCTITLE

This should be made the default for config.aix and config.sgi in
future releases.

-- Dave Hinds
   [email-masked]

---

From: "TSgt Todd C. Knauer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 May 1995 12:47:34 -0500 (CDT)

> This should be made the default for config.aix and config.sgi in

  Well, I tried the above and it didn't work, then I realized I am not 
using the syslog option.  I am logging by setting the _PATH_XFERLOG to 
/somewhere/ftp.log in the "src/pathnames.h" file.  ftpd then just opens 
the file and writes the buffer and here is the section that fills the 
buffer and writes to the log in ftpd.c:
------ snip from ftpd.c ------
        sprintf(msg, "%.24s %d %s %d %s %c %s %c %c %s ftp %d %s\n",
                ctime(&curtime),
                xfertime,
                remotehost,
                byte_count,
                namebuf,
                (type == TYPE_A) ? 'a' : 'b',
                opt_string(options),
                'o',
                anonymous ? 'a' : 'r',
                anonymous ? guestpw : pw->pw_name,
                authenticated,
                authenticated ? authuser : "*"
            );
        write(xferlog, msg, strlen(msg));
------ end snip --------------

 I will have to write some test code to see if maybe I have to modify the 
"ctime()" call to suit my system.....

							Todd

---

From: "TSgt Todd C. Knauer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 May 1995 12:59:53 -0500 (CDT)

> > In your config file (under src/config), change:

  Disregard my last message, you were right, it did fix it.  For some 
reason I "thought" I made the change to the config.h file and in reality 
I was just halucinating :)  I made the change and it fixed it....

					Thanks!
					 Todd