Subject: Help logging ACTUAL login names

From: Sally Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 May 1995 10:13:35 -0400 (EDT)

Is there a way to log the login name which appears immediately after the 
banner announcement?  I currently have daemon.info turned on in 
/etc/syslog.conf.  Turning on daemon.debug still doesn't give the 
information I wish to log.

e.g.
220 news FTP server (Version wu-2.4(2) Tue May 2 13:04:57 EDT 1995) ready.
Name (ftp:moore): 
          ^^^^^
The log file indicates the machine name and IP address.  However, users 
are not required to give their actual userid or hostid.  They can enter 
anything they want as long as it conforms to the rfc822 standard.  I'd 
like to grab this information somehow.

e.g.  /var/log/syslog

May  4 10:03:55 ftp ftpd[2147]: connection from calypso [192.76.175.130]
May  4 10:05:04 ftp ftpd[2147]: USER anonymous
May  4 10:05:29 ftp ftpd[2147]: PASS [email-masked]
May  4 10:05:29 ftp ftpd[2147]: ANONYMOUS FTP LOGIN FROM calypso 
[192.76.175.130], [email-masked]

Thanks in advance.

Sally Moore
o==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==o
| Systems Adminstrator/UNIX-Novell-DOS * Odyssey Research Associates, Inc. |
|           [email-masked]          *           301 Dates Drive         |
| VOICE:607-277-2020 FAX:607-277-3206  *         Ithaca NY  14850 USA      |
o==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==o

---

From: Robert Hirsh <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 May 95 11:01:21 EDT

> 220 news FTP server (Version wu-2.4(2) Tue May 2 13:04:57 EDT 1995) ready.

No, not on the FTP server side.  The "moore" is filled in by the FTP
client as the default login, but that information is not sent over as
part of the FTP protocol.

Regards,

-- Bob

===============================================================
  Robert Hirsh              |        Internet: [email-masked]   
  % America Online          |  America Online: RHirsh        
  8619 Westwood Center Dr.  |           Voice: (703) 448-5039
  Vienna, VA  22182-2285    |             FAX: (703) 883-1514
===============================================================