Subject: dir and ls -l problem resolved

From: Ed_Donley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 May 1995 18:34:13 -0500 (EST)

Thank you to those who responded to my cry for help with my "dir" and "ls -l"
problem.  This seems to be a common problem--real users can use "dir" and 
"ls -l", but anonymous users incorrectly get empty directory listings when 
they use "dir" or "ls -l".  Most of the suggestions that I received were about
missing ~ftp/bin/ls commands, incorrect permissions set on directories
containing the ls command, or about dynamically linked libraries.  Since my
problem turned out to be none of these, I thought that you might want to hear
about it.

The INSTALL instructions said that for Ultrix systems, I need to place a copy
of /etc/svc.conf in ~ftp/etc/svc.conf.  I did this, but then I "cleaned up"
~ftp/etc/svc.conf.  Well, I must of cleaned it up too well!  When I tried the
original /etc/svc.conf, my "dir" and "ls -l" problem was resolved.

Thanks again to all who came to my aid.  I hope that my report will help
someone else.

Ed Donley
Mathematics Department
Indiana University of Pennsylvania
Indiana, PA  15705
U.S.A.

[email-masked]
http://www.ma.iup.edu/MathDept/Professors/HDonley.html