Subject: Setting up the server

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 11 May 95 12:54:50 utc

Hi,

Iom new to this list, and I have just installed wu-ftpd-2.4 but I canot get 
it working. Here is what happens:

vega# ftp vega
Connected to vega.
220-Servidor FTP INTA
220-
220 vega FTP server (Version wu-2.4(2) Wed May 10 13:49:57 MET DST 1995) 
ready.
Name (vega:root): anonymous
221 Server shutting down.  Goodbye.
421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection
ftp> bye
vega#

Could someone point me to a FAQ or some other document about the 
configuration of wu-ftpd ?

Thanks,

        Peter.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Pedro Ferrer            Instituto Nacional de Tecnica Aeroespacial
[email-masked]                    "Esteban Terradas"
                                          Spain
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Jaakko Hyvatti <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 May 1995 10:31:50 +0200 (EET DST)

> 421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection

  I'm not sure but looks like there is something wrong with the server
program, like if it was compiled wrong or had some bug that kills it.
Try to debug it if possible.  I have debugged wu-ftpd server process
by attaching to it with gdb.

  That way I found one memory allocation bug that had not been harmful
in any other plattform than linux.  This shows that wu-ftpd may still
contain bugs.

-- 
# Jaakko Hyvätti	   [email-masked]		+358 40 5011222
echo 'movl $36,%eax;int $128;movl $0,%ebx;movl $1,%eax;int $128'|as -o/bin/sync

---

From: [email-masked] (Dave Wolfe)
Date: Mon, 15 May 1995 10:21:38 -0500 (CDT)

[ Jaakko Hyvatti writes: ]
> by attaching to it with gdb.

Or just trace it with truss if you have that. Someone else mentioned
previously in response to a similar request for help that the
shutdown file was causing this. Check the ftpshut man page and the
<ftpchroot>/etc/shutmsg file (may not be the right pathname, but I can't
get to my ftp host to check it right now).

-- 
 Dave Wolfe    *Not a spokesman for Motorola*  (512) 891-3246
 Motorola MMTG  6501 Wm. Cannon Dr. W. OE112  Austin  TX  78735-8598