From: "Richard D. Yentis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 May 1995 09:26:10 -0400

I am setting up a wu-ftpd server (Version wu-2.4(5) under osf) that
allows anonymous access and "group controls".  I have run into three
problems that maybe someone could help me with:

	1) "bin" directory is ignored for "site exec"
	2) command log information is not complete for anonymous
	3) group and user info not shown during "dir"

I have included the relivant "ls -alR", ftpaccess, and log files at
the end of this email, but first let me give more info for each
problem.

1) When "ls" is in the "bin" directory the "dir" command works as
expected.  When "ls" is removed "dir" stops working, therefore wu-ftpd
is seeing the correct "bin" directory.  Nothing else in "bin" ever
seems to work or give output.  "sleep 100" gives no delay, and a.out
(a "hello world" program) gives no output:
	ftp> site exec a.out
	200-a.out
	200  (end of 'a.out')

2) The "log commands" works for real users, but not for annonymous
users.  I tried to change the order of the options in the "log
commands" line, but this had no effect.

3) The group and user info do not come through (only the numbers) for
anonymous users.  They work real users.  As far as I can tell the
permissions.

Thanks for your time,

Rich

---log file as user "ftp" logins, cd pub, dir, quit---
May 24 08:43:29 HOST ftpd[13299]: connection from HOST.DOMAIN.NAME [HOST.DOMAIN.NUMBER]
May 24 08:43:32 HOST ftpd[13299]: USER ftp
May 24 08:43:46 HOST ftpd[13299]: PASS yentir@

---log file as REAL user "yentir" logins, cd pub, dir, quit---
May 24 08:44:31 HOST ftpd[13302]: connection HOST.DOMAIN.NAME [HOST.DOMAIN.NUMBER]
May 24 08:44:33 HOST ftpd[13302]: USER yentir
May 24 08:44:37 HOST ftpd[13302]: PASS password
May 24 08:44:37 HOST ftpd[13302]: FTP LOGIN FROM HOST.DOMAIN.NAME [HOST.DOMAIN.NUMBER], yentir
May 24 08:44:37 HOST ftpd[13302]: SYST
May 24 08:44:44 HOST ftpd[13302]: CWD pub
May 24 08:44:48 HOST ftpd[13302]: PORT
May 24 08:44:48 HOST ftpd[13302]: LIST
May 24 08:44:55 HOST ftpd[13302]: QUIT
May 24 08:44:55 HOST ftpd[13302]: FTP session closed

------------------------------ftpaccess (altered for privacy)---
banner  /usr/spool/ftp/etc/msgs/BANNER

class   local   real,guest  *.DOMAIN.NAME DOMAIN.NUMBER.*
class   anonymouses anonymous *.DOMAIN.NAME DOMAIN.NUMBER.*

limit   local   10    Any              /usr/spool/ftp/etc/msgs/msg.dead
limit   anonymouses 10 Any             /usr/spool/ftp/etc/msgs/msg.dead

#block all uploads - extra protection beyond file attributes
upload /usr/spool/ftp * no

passwd-check rfc822 enforce

loginfails 2

readme  README*    login
readme  README*    cwd=*

message /welcome.msg            login
message .message                cwd=*

compress        yes             local anonymouses
tar             yes             local anonymouses

log commands  real,guest,anonymous
#the transfer log shows up in the file /usr/adm/xferlog
log transfers real,guest,anonymous inbound,outbound

shutdown /etc/shutmsg

email [email-masked]

#guestgroup test area
guestgroup guests

#the rest of this file deals with the groups
#note that people in these groups are still anonymous not guest

#let groups upload to any group's area
#I tired to do "root system 0600" but it complains "fchown: Not owner"
#NOTE: anyone can upload to these directory, but the normal unix file
#attributes keep them out unless they are in that group.
upload /usr/spool/ftp /pub/GROUP1 yes 
upload /usr/spool/ftp /pub/GROUP2 yes
upload /usr/spool/ftp /pub/GROUP3 yes

private yes

-----------------------ls -laR (only relevant portion displayed)-----
total 7
dr-xr-xr-x   7 root     system       512 May 22 10:56 .
drwxr-xr-x  10 root     system       512 Dec 14 11:39 ..
d--x--x--x   2 root     system       512 May 22 14:45 bin
d--x--x--x   4 root     system       512 May 18 10:22 etc
d---rwx---   3 root     guests       512 May 17 16:50 guests
dr-xr-xr-x  11 root     system       512 May 22 12:09 pub
drwx------   2 3000     daemon       512 May 17 17:03 rdy

./bin:
total 580
d--x--x--x   2 root     system       512 May 22 14:45 .
dr-xr-xr-x   7 root     system       512 May 22 10:56 ..
---x--x--x   1 root     system    125264 May 22 14:45 a.out
---x--x--x   1 bin      bin       352256 Feb 21  1994 ls
-rw-r--r--   1 root     system        19 May 22 10:34 mytest
-rw-r--r--   1 root     system       111 Dec 14 13:03 noftp.txt
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     system     90112 May 22 10:57 sleep

./etc:
total 7
d--x--x--x   4 root     system       512 May 18 10:22 .
dr-xr-xr-x   7 root     system       512 May 22 10:56 ..
-r--r--r--   1 root     system       260 May 17 16:02 group
d--x--x--x   2 root     system       512 May 18 14:37 msgs
-r--r--r--   1 root     system      1396 May 17 17:11 passwd

./etc/msgs:
total 4
d--x--x--x   2 root     system       512 May 18 14:37 .
d--x--x--x   4 root     system       512 May 18 10:22 ..
-rw-r--r--   1 root     system       224 May 18 14:40 BANNER
-rw-r--r--   1 root     system        28 May 18 10:23 msg.dead

----------