Subject: wu-ftpd 2.4(x) -- what is "x" and what does it matter?

From: Jonathan Marsden <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 May 1995 21:01:17 -0400 (EDT)

We just picked up wu-ftpd 2.4 sources and compiled them.  Install is
OK, now we're working on the ftpaccess file etc configuration!

However, I see some sites running 2.4(6), but mine says 2.4(5) (in the
welcome line displayed to ftp clients).

I assume (?) this parenthesized number is a patch level?

If so where can I get the latest and greatest patches?
If not... what *is* that number in parens? :-)

Thanks,

Jonathan
-- 
Jonathan Marsden <[email-masked]>    | Phone: +1 (719) 495 8789
12175 Howells Road              | FAX:   +1 (719) 495 8789
Colorado Springs, CO 80907, USA | Organization: CrossConnect

---

From: Steve Blass <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 May 1995 21:23:55 -0700 (PDT)

The number in parenetheses is a counter that indicates how many times
the software has been built.  The number is stored in ~/src/edit and
incremented by ~/src/newvers.sh which recreates ~/vers.c each time.

cool huh ?