Subject: Web browser can't connect wu-ftp on a Sequent

From: Jim Egan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 May 1995 17:36:11 -0400

Hi,

Has anyone experienced a problem where certain web browser can not
connect to wu-ftp?  I am running wu-ftpd version 2.4 on a Sequent
DYNIX/ptx V4.0.1 i386.  The only web browser that we know of to
connect is the unix version of Mosaic.  The windows version of
Netscape and Mosaic are get stuck after they have issued the PASV
command.  The unix version of lynx and Netscape seem to passing
commands to wu-ftp, but no results are ever returned.  Our anonymous
ftp server is located at "aps.org".  Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Jim Egan

---

From: Vidiot <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 May 1995 17:27:36 -0500 (CDT)

Jim:

<Has anyone experienced a problem where certain web browser can not
<connect to wu-ftp?  I am running wu-ftpd version 2.4 on a Sequent
<DYNIX/ptx V4.0.1 i386.  The only web browser that we know of to
<connect is the unix version of Mosaic.  The windows version of
<Netscape and Mosaic are get stuck after they have issued the PASV
<command.  The unix version of lynx and Netscape seem to passing
<commands to wu-ftp, but no results are ever returned.  Our anonymous
<ftp server is located at "aps.org".  Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Strange, I have Netscape 1.1N for Unix (SunOS 4.1.3 version) and it connects
to my wu-ftp 2.4 without a problem.  The stupid part is that Netscape won't
let go of the connection until Netscape is killed off.  I've already informed
the Netscape people about that problem.

MB
-- 
System Administrator - Extrel FTMS - Madison WI.
e-mail: [email-masked]
phone: (608) 273-8262  fax: (608) 273-8719  voice-mail: (800) 426-6488 ext 6293
Visit - http://www.ftms.com/vidiot/  (Your link to the world of Star Trek)

---

From: FV Admin mail <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 May 1995 10:20:37 +0100

> <connect to wu-ftp?  I am running wu-ftpd version 2.4 on a Sequent

The web browser may be trying to use PASV, which implies the server is 
going to make connections on arbitrary ports rather than the client 
accepting them. If your wu-ftpd does that yet you have a firewall between 
your FTP server and the client (or the client's firewall) then the data 
connection may time out while the control connection is fine.

I'm told that most browsers will take a 500 from PASV and fall back on 
PORT, but I haven't had a chance to patch our code yet.