Subject: Re: limit anonymous ftp

From: "The best things in life ... are fantasy." <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 May 1995 11:53:20 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Minna,

Did you rtemember to edit your syslog.conf adding a line saying where
the log is to be sent? ie:
daemon.info	/var/log/daemon.info
This is what I have. Then do a kill -HUP <pid_of_syslog>
Then it should work.

Good luck,
PCVS

---

From: Minna Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 May 1995 12:37:25 -0400 (EDT)

> This is what I have. Then do a kill -HUP <pid_of_syslog>
I did that, but still have the same problem.
I got the following message in /var/adm/message file. Does it 
related to the above problem? 
  "ftpd[4303]: open of pid file failed: No such file or diretory"
Thanks for your help.

-- 
 Minna Moore                   | University of South Carolina 
 [email-masked]      | Department of Mathematics 
 (803) 777-8847                | Columbia, SC 29208

---

From: [email-masked] (Dave Wolfe)
Date: Wed, 10 May 1995 12:41:42 -0500 (CDT)

[ Minna Moore writes: ]
>   "ftpd[4303]: open of pid file failed: No such file or diretory"

This sounds like your syslog works like my SVR4 syslog: the syslog
library function reads a file, /etc/syslog.pid, to get the pid of
syslogd so it can send the message via an IPC message queue to it. When
wu-ftpd chroots for guest or anonymous logins, the pid file must be in
the chroot environment or you get this message (and further ftpd logging
stops). However, I did get the connection through receiving the password
in the daemon log.

I added some lines to my syslog rc file to wait for the pid file to
appear and copy it to the chroot environment(s). It's a hack, but the
file gets deleted and the chroots are on different file systems, so
links won't work (no, not even a symlink because it can't get outside
the chroot). A better (or just different?) hack might be to modify
wu-ftpd to copy the file before it chroots.

-- 
 Dave Wolfe    *Not a spokesman for Motorola*  (512) 891-3246
 Motorola MMTG  6501 Wm. Cannon Dr. W. OE112  Austin  TX  78735-8598

---

From: Sally Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 May 1995 14:40:04 -0400 (EDT)

>   "ftpd[4303]: open of pid file failed: No such file or diretory"

I got this message when I had created an unwritable
"/usr/local/daemon/ftpd"  directory in which the file "ftp.pids-%s"
resides.  The directory was on an nfs mounted partition (/usr/local) which
didn't allow root access, so it was unable to write the pid file.  I had
to edit the "wu-ftpd-2.4/src/pathnames.h" file to point to a directory
which was root-writable (in my case, this was /usr): 

Distribution:
#define _PATH_PIDNAMES  "/usr/local/daemon/ftpd/ftp.pids-%s"

My change:
#define _PATH_PIDNAMES  "/usr/ftp/daemon/ftpd/ftp.pids-%s"

Sally