Subject: Problem under solaris 2.4

From: Fred Lloyd <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 May 1995 18:17:14 -0700

I'm running wu-2.4(5) and my problem is that the server leaves
zombie processes running long after the user has logged out.  THey
seem to never go away.

   root 15029   109 39 14:15:17 ?        0:00 ftpd -a -i -o -t600

I usally have several dozen of these laying around.

Just looking at the code it appears that an alarm(0) call is
made which terminates the timeout clock.  This, however, does
not get reinstated for whatever reason and the process never
times out.

Has anyone else seen this?

-fred

---

From: FV Admin mail <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 May 1995 10:16:48 +0100

> Has anyone else seen this?

Yes. We solved it by putting in an alarm(9000) or some such, so an alarm 
clock is always running.  This causes trouble when we try to FTP a 
gigabyte file via modem, so the *real* fix would be to put an alarm 
around each read() and write() call. --Darren