Subject: strange behaviour with ls and dir

From: Paolo Tealdi System Administrator <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 May 95 18:05:24 +0200

I'm installing wu-ftpd on an OSF Alpha release 3.2 (the latest) .
The system answers correctly when i log in, but i can't see the name of owner
file and his group, instead I see his UID and GID.
Example :

    -rw-------   1 200   200      5553 May 23 10:24 DXterm

instead of

    -rw-------   1 ftp   ftp      5553 May 23 10:24 DXterm

I use standard "/sbin/ls" (the one static compiled) copied in ~ftp/bin
standard passwd in ~ftp/etc  and standard group file in ~ftp/etc  
(at least i hope)

Anybody can explain me why ?

Thank in advance 

Paolo Tealdi

Paolo Tealdi                   System Administrator
Politecnico Torino             Phone : +39-11-5647072
C.so D. degli Abruzzi 20       Home Phone : +39-11-7764956
0124 Torino - ITALY            Email : [email-masked]

---

From: Hsi-Lien Chen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 May 1995 11:34:27 -0500

My system is also running OSF Alpha release 3.2.  I have no problem running
wu-ftpd.  Regarding your problem, check the man page ftpd, you will see the
instruction of how to set up anonymous ftp.  Here is the extract:
 
  ~ftp/etc
      Make this directory owned by the superuser and unwritable by anyone.
      The passwd and group files (see passwd(4) and group(4) ) must be
      present for the ls command to be able to produce owner names rather
      than numbers.  The password field in the passwd file is not used, and
      should not contain real encrypted passwords.  These files should be
      mode 444.

      In this environment, the sia subdirectory (which you can copy from
      /etc/sia) must also be present for the ls command to be able to produce
      owner names rather than numbers.

Hope this will help you.

chen