Subject: Re: Virtual Servers

From: "D.Ashton-Reader" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 May 1995 10:20:41 +0000

Dan Pritchett wrote:

> People on SGI's will do just fine up to 64 virtual hosts. Check out
> http://www.thesphere.com/~dlp/TwoServers/ for a description of how to
> get multiple interfaces on a variety of platforms.

Last time I tried to use that (on IRIX 5.3) I could not get it 
to work for 2 IP addresses with different IP network addresses

(e.g. I could not get 192.200.9.155 and 193.130.24.167 to work)

Can anyone confirm whether or not that should work OK on an SG?

(BTW: I can confirm that the above is possible on Solaris 5.2 :)

---

From: Brian Kramer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 May 1995 05:56:08 -0400 (EDT)

> > get multiple interfaces on a variety of platforms.

Right, I know how to setup the multiple IP addresses.  I don't know how
to patch the ftp server to handle the two different ones though.

Brian Kramer - Owner/Systems Administrator - [email-masked]
New Jersey Computer Connection - Public Access Unix Site - pluto.njcc.com
Voice: 609-896-2799 - Fax: 609-896-2994 - Dialups: 609-896-3191 & 896-2722
Web: http://www.njcc.com/  Telnet/Dialup: pluto.njcc.com login as guest.

---

From: "Kenneth M. Sternberg" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 May 1995 16:14:08 -0700 (PDT)

> to patch the ftp server to handle the two different ones though.

	Find the code in ftpd.c that reads in the contents of ftpaccess.
Modify it to recognize a new keyword: VRoot.  The two arguments will be the
IP ADDRESS and the FTP ROOT for that particular name.  Add these to a list. 

	Now, finds the section in ftpd that does CHROOT for anonymous FTP. 
It's around line 1129.  Using getsockname on file descriptor zero (since
that's what wu-ftpd uses), find the IP associated with this process from
sockaddr_in, look it up in your list to find the FTP ROOT associated with
that IP, and then set variable dir to point to that root name.  Allow program
to proceed as normal.  It's that easy-- when running from inetd.  It works
under Solaris, Linux, FreeBSD, and SunOS, so far. 

	Make sure you have a default root, in case the inbound packets don't
carry the right information-- you wouldn't want a spoofer to be driving your
wuftpd crazy. 

		Elf

-- 
Kenneth M. Sternberg, Systems Engineer                  [email-masked]
CompuServe Consulting Group                      VOICE: 206.447.0800
316 Occidental Ave South                           FAX: 206.442.9004
Seattle, WA 98104                               DIRECT: 206.442.0644	
Public Key Available                             http://www.spry.com

---

From: Thomas Leavitt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 May 1995 19:19:42 PDT

Anyone actually done this, and have a patch available (no need to
reinvent the wheel if it isn't necessary)?

> IP ADDRESS and the FTP ROOT for that particular name.  Add these to a list. 

[... deleted for brevity's sake]

--
Web Communications (sm)            Thomas [email-masked]
Voice: (408) 457-9671 x101         Lead Systems & Network Admin./Tech Suppt.
 
Web Communications Home Page <URL:http://www.webcom.com/>