Subject: Re: Problem with DIR command in WU-FTPD 2.4

From: [email-masked] (Raza Rizvi)
Date: Wed, 3 May 1995 12:51:02 +0100

>-Now it seems that if a UNIX FTP terminal users issue a DIR, which is what
>-FETCH issues, they get no file listing back. They do if they issue a LS.
>-
>-Any suggestions?
>-
>-Is it due to /bin/ls not being found?
>        I had this problem. Turned out my /usr/lib dir was chmod 111. Doing a
>chmod 555 on it fixed the problem. (People could execute the directory, but
>couldn't read the libraries out of it, so the dir version of ls didn't work.
>Only the built-in version did.

My directory is okay but the library files themselves are almost all no
execute for the world, you don't have any idea which one in particular it
is (very long boring listing follows:

ls -aldg lib

drwxr-sr-x 22 bin      bin          3584 Apr 15 12:29 lib

...

ls -aldg lib*

-rw-r--r--  1 bin      staff        2367 Jan 20  1994 lib.b
-rw-r--r--  1 root     staff       10870 Jan 20  1994 lib300.a
-rw-r--r--  1 root     staff       10418 Jan 20  1994 lib300s.a
-rw-r--r--  1 root     staff        8252 Jan 20  1994 lib4013.a
-rw-r--r--  1 root     staff        8838 Jan 20  1994 lib4014.a
-rw-r--r--  1 root     staff       10804 Jan 20  1994 lib450.a
-rw-r--r--  1 root     staff       15386 Jan 21  1994 libbsdmalloc.a
-rw-r--r--  1 root     staff      661708 Jan 21  1994 libc.a
-rw-r--r--  1 root     staff        7996 Jan 20  1994 libc.sa.1.9
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root     staff      516096 Jan 21  1994 libc.so.1.9
-rw-r--r--  1 root     staff      766272 Jan 21  1994 libc_p.a
-rw-r--r--  1 root     staff       52416 Jan 20  1994 libcurses.a
-rw-r--r--  1 root     staff       57140 Jan 20  1994 libcurses_p.a
-rw-r--r--  1 root     staff       10644 Jan 20  1994 libdbm.a
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root     staff       24576 Jan 20  1994 libdl.so.1.0
-rw-r--r--  1 root     staff        3764 Jan 20  1994 libf77plot.a
-rw-r--r--  1 root     staff          68 Jan 20  1994 libg.a
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root     bin            15 Oct 27  1994 libkvm.a ->
../kvm/libkvm.a
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root     bin            20 Oct 27  1994 libkvm.so.0.3 ->
../kvm/libkvm.so.0.3
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root     bin            17 Oct 27  1994 libkvm_p.a ->
../kvm/libkvm_p.a
-rw-r--r--  2 root     staff        4802 Jan 20  1994 libl.a
-rw-r--r--  2 root     staff        4802 Jan 20  1994 libln.a
-rw-r--r--  1 root     staff      127066 Jan 20  1994 liblwp.a
-rw-r--r--  1 root     staff      208390 Jan 20  1994 libm.a
-rw-r--r--  1 root     staff       21160 Jan 20  1994 libm.il
-rw-r--r--  1 root     staff      266904 Jan 20  1994 libm_p.a
-rw-r--r--  1 root     staff       14158 Jan 20  1994 libmp.a
-rw-r--r--  1 root     staff       10692 Jan 20  1994 libnbio.a
-rw-r--r--  1 bin      staff      465586 Jan 20  1994 libpixrect.a
-rw-r--r--  1 bin      staff         950 Jan 20  1994 libpixrect.sa.2.14
-rwxr-xr-x  1 bin      staff      335872 Jan 20  1994 libpixrect.so.2.14
-rw-r--r--  1 bin      staff      480518 Jan 20  1994 libpixrect_p.a
-rw-r--r--  1 root     staff        8924 Jan 20  1994 libplot.a
-rw-r--r--  1 root     staff       29116 Jan 20  1994 libplot2648.a
-rw-r--r--  1 root     staff       13194 Jan 20  1994 libplot7221.a
-rw-r--r--  1 root     staff       12058 Jan 20  1994 libplotaed.a
-rw-r--r--  1 root     staff       10194 Jan 20  1994 libplotbg.a

-rw-r--r--  1 root     staff       10026 Jan 20  1994 libplotdumb.a
-rw-r--r--  1 root     staff       11160 Jan 20  1994 libplotgigi.a
-rw-r--r--  1 root     staff       11052 Jan 20  1994 libplotimagen.a
-rw-r--r--  1 root     staff       18914 Jan 20  1994 libposix.a
-rw-r--r--  1 root     staff       37504 Apr 15 14:58 libresolv.a
-rw-r--r--  1 root     bin         31708 Apr 15 12:29 libresolv.a.orig
-rw-r--r--  1 root     staff       31082 Jan 21  1994 librpcsvc.a
-rw-r--r--  1 root     staff      949580 Jan 20  1994 libsuntool.a
-rw-r--r--  1 root     staff        5788 Jan 20  1994 libsuntool.sa.0.54
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root     staff      753664 Jan 20  1994 libsuntool.so.0.54
-rw-r--r--  1 root     staff     1062618 Jan 20  1994 libsuntool_p.a
-rw-r--r--  1 root     staff      294546 Jan 20  1994 libsunwindow.a
-rw-r--r--  1 root     staff        1988 Jan 20  1994 libsunwindow.sa.0.55
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root     staff      229376 Jan 20  1994 libsunwindow.so.0.55
-rw-r--r--  1 root     staff      345406 Jan 20  1994 libsunwindow_p.a
-rw-r--r--  2 root     staff        7522 Jan 20  1994 libtermcap.a
-rw-r--r--  2 root     staff        7872 Jan 20  1994 libtermcap_p.a
-rw-r--r--  2 root     staff        7522 Jan 20  1994 libtermlib.a
-rw-r--r--  2 root     staff        7872 Jan 20  1994 libtermlib_p.a
-rw-r--r--  1 root     staff        6712 Jan 20  1994 libvt0.a
-rw-r--r--  1 root     staff        3554 Sep 26  1991 libxgl.sa.2.0
-rw-r--r--  1 root     staff     2859008 Sep 26  1991 libxgl.so.2.0
-rw-r--r--  1 root     staff         680 Jan 20  1994 liby.a

Raza

PS> Do you think I should have execute on for all of them!

Raza Rizvi ([email-masked])
RedNet Ltd, High Wycombe, England
Tel - +44 (0)1494 513333  Fax - +44 (0)1494 443374

---

From: Ariel Spivakovsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 May 1995 14:17:14 -0400 (EDT)

Reading the man page for ftpd on my machine (AIX 3.2.5) helped me with this.
It should tell you what the shared libs. you should need, if any.

Cheers
Ari

---

From: [email-masked] (Patrick Salsbury)
Date: Thu, 4 May 95 14:07:36 PDT

->        I had this problem. Turned out my /usr/lib dir was chmod 111. Doing a
->chmod 555 on it fixed the problem. (People could execute the directory, but
->couldn't read the libraries out of it, so the dir version of ls didn't work.
->Only the built-in version did.
-
-My directory is okay but the library files themselves are almost all no
-execute for the world, you don't have any idea which one in particular it
-is (very long boring listing follows:
-
-ls -aldg lib
-
-drwxr-sr-x 22 bin      bin          3584 Apr 15 12:29 lib
-
-Raza
-
-PS> Do you think I should have execute on for all of them!
-
-Raza Rizvi ([email-masked])
-RedNet Ltd, High Wycombe, England
-Tel - +44 (0)1494 513333  Fax - +44 (0)1494 443374
-
	No, it's just the directory itself. I think the libraries need to be
readable, but not executable. The directory needs to be executable (to access
it) and readable (to find out the names of the libraries in it.)

	Looks like that part of your configuration is fine. Anyone else have
an idea?

Pat
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
	  Patrick Salsbury 	              SCO/IXI/Visionware           
	Sys Admin/Webmaster                   330 Encinal Street
	Voice: 408-429-4529	             Santa Cruz, CA 95060
     email: [email-masked]		       FAX: 408-427-5460	
		      X/UNIX/PC Integration Specialists
  Check out <A HREF="http://www.visionware.com/">The Visionware Homepage</A>

---

From: [email-masked] (demo_2)
Date: Sat, 6 May 1995 00:25:32 +0800 (HKT)

> 	Looks like that part of your configuration is fine. Anyone else have
Except the lib and the command, e.g. ls, you need to make the devive in dir of
[ftp]/dev. The device files are allways necessary, e.g. zero, null.... You can
man the ftpd to read what devices are necessary. To make the devices file, you 
can't cp them from /dev. You should use the command--mknod. If you want the
detail, try to use man mknod.

-- 
=============================================
 ^^^^^       Name: James Leong
<* J *>     email: [email-masked]
 \ v / 
   =        Have a nice day!
==============================================