Subject: pid file problem

From: [email-masked] (John M. Sully)
Date: Tue, 2 May 1995 13:22:45 -0500

Greetings,
   We have just setup wu-ftpd 2.4 on our Sparc 20 running Solaris 2.3 and
are having some problems.  In /var/adm/messages we are getting litterally
hundreds
of meassages which read

Date Time Machine ftpd[number]: open of pid file failed: no such file or
directory.

I thought I had everything configured correctly (obviously I don't...).
Can anyone offer any suggestions as to what the problem is and how to fix
it?

Thanks!
John

----------------------------------------------------------------------
|John M. Sully                      |  Freiberger Library Room 305   |
|Information Technologies Engineer  |   email: [email-masked]     |
|Library Information Technologies   |   phone: (216)368-8989         |
|Case Western Reserve University    |     fax: (216)368-8720         |
|--------------------------------------------------------------------|
|       WWW Homepage: http://litwww.cwru.edu/home/jms20.html         |
----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: M BAILEY <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 May 1995 13:31:18 -0400 (EDT)

> Can anyone offer any suggestions as to what the problem is and how to fix
Look in the makefile for this I know it is in there somewhere since I had 
to fix this problem.

---

From: [email-masked] (Dave Wolfe)
Date: Tue, 2 May 1995 13:04:02 -0500 (CDT)

[ John M. Sully writes: ]
> Can anyone offer any suggestions as to what the problem is and how to fix

I saw this for guest and anon ftp logons because when wu-ftpd chroots,
the syslog library can't find the /etc/syslog.pid file to get the daemon
pid in order to send syslog messages to it. I edited my rc syslogd
startup to wait for the file to get created by syslogd and then copied
it to the chroot /etc. Also helps tremendously in debugging other
problems to have the syslog messages.

-- 
 Dave Wolfe    *Not a spokesman for Motorola*  (512) 891-3246
 Motorola MMTG  6501 Wm. Cannon Dr. W. OE112  Austin  TX  78735-8598