Subject: Bugs in wu-ftpd-2.4 for SGI (at least one is more general).

From: eddy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 May 1995 20:23:34 -0300 (BST)

Starting with wu-ftpd-2.4.tar.gz as obtained from SunSite Europe or
wu-stl's ftp server (we've done both).  Unpacked and set up in the usual
way on an SGI.  The following problems made installation impossible:

(build doesn't attempt to remove old links (eg to Makefiles) before
creating new.  It also uses hard links rather than soft.  Yuck.)

src/Makefile: doesn't mention vers.o in dependancy lists for ftpcount, ftpshut.
Causes failure to build these if ftpd hasn't been built before them.

ftpd doesn't get built because src/ftpd.c breaks, for two reasons:

  realpath is declared without const qualifying its first argument,
  conflicting with its definition in <stdlib.h> (the declaration is,
  thus, also redundant).

  both <varargs.h> and <stdargs.h> get included (the latter via
  syslog.h), resulting in a conflict in meaning for va_start (and other
  macros).  The code assumes that of varargs.h but stdargs.h is included
  later so overrides this.  I have defined __STDARGS_H__ after including
  varargs to suppress inclusion of stdargs.  Not a portable fix ...

src/glob.c: references macro NCARGS without defining it. In fact,
wu-ftpd-2.4> find . -type f -exec grep NCARGS "{}" \; -print
only yields results in src/glob.c (neither of which gives it a value).
I have no idea what value to give to NCARGS.

Clearly this builds for other folk (given that it's widely used by major
servers) so something must be awry for the SGI stuff.  Any suggestions ?

I'm not on the wu-ftpd mailing list: please reply by e-mail and use the
Cc line above so that my colleague gets the same information ...

	Eddy.