Subject: Re: pid file problem

From: Eric C Buda <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 May 1995 13:48:33 -0400

>From [email-masked] Tue May  2 13:43:45 1995
>Date: Tue, 2 May 95 13:36:01 EDT
>Reply-To: [email-masked]
>Sender: [email-masked]
>From: [email-masked] (Bill Townsley)
>To: [email-masked]
>Subject: Re: pid file problem
>X-Listprocessor-Version: 7.1 -- ListProcessor by CREN

>I too am getting hundreds of messages saying:

>ftpd[25357]: open of pid file failed: No such file or directory

>on my SPARC-2, SunOS 4.1.3.  Does anybody know why this happens?

>|====================================|
>| Bill Townsley, Computer Specialist |
>|  USGS Center for Coastal Geology   |
>|   St. Petersburg, Florida 33701    |
>|    [email-masked]      |
>|      813-893-3100 ext. 3019        |
>|====================================|

Its needs you to make the directory where it can make the pid file, then it will find it.

What directory its looking for should be in your Makefile, like a previous 
post said.

Mine is /usr/local/daemon/ftpd, don't know if thats the default or not, its
been a while since I compiled.

Eric

---

From: [email-masked] (John M. Sully)
Date: Tue, 2 May 1995 14:14:13 -0500

Thanks for everyones help...I found the problem.  I had pathnames.h looking
for the directory /usr/local/bin/daemons/ftpd and the directory was
/usr/local/bin/daemons/ftp...oops :-)  I must have been pretty out of it
when I set this up...

Thanks!
John

----------------------------------------------------------------------
|John M. Sully                      |  Freiberger Library Room 305   |
|Information Technologies Engineer  |   email: [email-masked]     |
|Library Information Technologies   |   phone: (216)368-8989         |
|Case Western Reserve University    |     fax: (216)368-8720         |
|--------------------------------------------------------------------|
|       WWW Homepage: http://litwww.cwru.edu/home/jms20.html         |
----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked] (Bill Townsley)
Date: Tue, 2 May 95 14:22:32 EDT

Thanks folks, I had made the same error as John Sully.  Sorry
to bother you with such a wimpy problem.