Subject: Problem with ls/dir ...

From: Norby Anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 May 1995 11:58:16 -0700 (PDT)

I have a problem that recently seemed to crop up ... I don't know
the exact date, so I can't investigate what might have happened
to the system around that time ...

anyways, I have wuftpd-2.4 on a Dec Ultrix 4.4 machine and all of
a sudden, only "ls" works ... "dir" doesn't work, and neither does
"ls -l" ... this happens for real and anonymous users ... I know this
problem isn't based on the wuftpd, because I tried an earlier ftpd that
never showed these signs, and it too exhibits the same problems.

I haven't changed the ftpaccess file, and I haven't changed anything
in the ~ftp/etc or ~ftp/bin directories ...

Does anybody have a clue to what could be going wrong ???

-/\/orby

--
(`|/`/\(`  |   Peter Norby - [email-masked]   |  (`|/`/\(` 
_)|\,\/_)  |  Students Improving Campus Online Services  |  _)|\,\/_)
__________/           http://server.berkeley.edu/         \__________

---

From: "Alexander L. Haiut" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 May 1995 01:46:30 +0200 (GMT+0200)

> never showed these signs, and it too exhibits the same problems.

	Ok, it's a known problem, although it is very simple: wu-ftpd v2.4
	has its own built-in "ls" command, so when you type "ls" the daemon 
	serves this request by itself. When you try a more complicated command 
	like "ls -l" or "dir" which is about the same, the daemon tries to
	run ~ftp/bin/ls . So, if "ls -l" or "dir" don't work, it means that 
	~ftp/bin/ls fails to run. Why ? Seems like you haven't properly 
	installed all the libraries/devices needed to run this program.

	To know which libraries you have to put (typically) in ~ftp/usr/lib
	directory you'd have to consult manual pages or just run "trace ls -l" 
	(in shell) to see which libraries are opened by this program.

	Another solution (it works for SunOS, hope will work for DEC too) is 
	to use statically linked binaries. They are a little bigger, but you 
	haven't to install the libraries. I use this approach and have no 
	problems with it. 

	To get statically linked binary of "ls" for your machine/OS try
	to download GNU binutils package and compile the "ls" program from
	there with -Bstatic compiler option.

	Well, hope it helps.. 	Thank you!
						--alex.

--

Alexander L. Haiut					       +971-7-461658
Math & CS System group		                            [email-masked]
Ben-Gurion University, Israel                  http://www.cs.bgu.ac.il/~alx/

---

From: Norby Anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 May 1995 16:13:28 -0700 (PDT)

As Alexander L. Haiut once said,
>> anyways, I have wuftpd-2.4 on a Dec Ultrix 4.4 machine and all of
                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>	installed all the libraries/devices needed to run this program.

Except this is only for machines with shared libraries ...
Ultrix doesn't have shared libraries at all ...

8.  Under DEC Ultrix, you need ~ftp/etc/svc.conf

(And I have this in there, if you were wondering ...)

Although it does appear to be a problem with running anything under
the ~ftp/bin tree, as I can't get the auto-ungzipping to happen either.

--
______. __
___/  |/ /orby Anderson, Peter - UC Berkeley student, really...
__/ | | /[email-masked] - Students Improving Campus Online Services
_/_/|__/ever!  We will win!  The goddess of victory does not smile on one
       such as you, who thinks only of winning.  That's because the goddess
      of victory smiles on those who already have burning hearts." -Belldandy