Subject: wu-ftpd: Hanging sockets on Sun 4.1.3_U1

From: Dan Thorson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 1995 12:08:08 -0400 (EDT)

I'm resending this cuz I'm amazed that nobody else is seeing this problem (got 
only one response, and nothing on the list iteslf).  Doesn't anybody else get 
"zombie" processes on their SunOS boxes?  How about on brand-X OS's?  

Forwarded msg....
I'm seeing a problem with wu-ftpd-2.4 on a Sun SPARC-1+ running SunOS 
4.1.3_U1.  When a client reqests a PASV connection, and then issues a get/put, 
sometimes the client never actually connects to the server.  The problem is 
that wu-ftpd calls accept(), and ends up waiting forever for the client to 
connect.

I sent mail to [email-masked] asking if there was a FAQ, or if 
this problem had already been addressed (also surfed the Web for a while to no 
avail).  I've not hearing anything back, and so I'm asking the list in general.

I've got a possible solution already coded, wherein I use a call to select() 
before the call to accept(), with a timeout of 120 seconds.  I have not yet 
tested this code, but would be willing to share it if others would like to 
comment.

Thanks in advance.

Dan Thorson
[email-masked] [email-masked]

---

From: "The best things in life ... are fantasy." <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 1995 13:33:37 -0400 (EDT)

I have a sparc station running the same as yours but I have not had
this problem. There must be something else getting in the way.

Sorry,

PCVS