Subject: Re: wu-ftpd on IRIX 5.x

From: Navid Atoofi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 1995 09:57:41 -0400

> Is there a version of wu-ftp that runs
> on SGI IRIX 5.x?  I tried compiling wu-ftpd-2.4
> using the sgi option (SGI Irix 4.0.5a) and
> had compatibility problems. 
> 
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Sorry
> if this is a FAQ :).
> 
> Karen
> 

Irix5.x and Irix4.xare binary compatible.
I had problem with compiling it on Irix5.x . but it compiled
without any problem on irix4 machines. So I run irix4.x  binary
on irix5.x machines ???.

  +--------------------------+
  |Navid Atoofi           +--|--------------------------+
  |System Network Engineer|"none of these are my ideas" |
[email-masked]        |    "they made me say it"    |
| | (617) 873-5246        |        Blah, Blah           |
| +-----------------------|    Yes, No, Cool, Ugh       |\
|The jungle is deep and   +-----------------------------+ \
|dangerous. You are entering the realm of black magic     /
|and deep wizardry, of voodoo programming and subtle     /
|obfuscation. Monsters realm behind every tree, ready   /
|to pounce. Making it alone, well .                    /
+-----------------------------------------------------/

---

From: [email-masked] (Russell Street)
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 1995 08:17:21 +1200 (NZT)

Hello...

> Irix5.x and Irix4.xare binary compatible.

They are not completely binary compatible.  Read your release notes.
Most programs from 4.x will run on 5.x.

The biggest known problems are:

1. /usr/etc/resolv.conf moved to /etc/resolv.conf

You need to make a link back to get any of the 4.x binaries to resolve
host names (or you linked it to the shared libc, in which case it is
not a problem)

2. shadowed passwords

wu-ftpd works fine if you don't enable them, but tends to break after
they are enabled.

3. utmp handling.  I compile our FTPDs not to write in the system
versions of these.  If the SGI versions of these programs can scramble
utmp/wtmp, then I don't hold out much hope for the rest!

Russell
 -------------------------------------------------------------------
 Russell Street ([email-masked]) +64 (9) 373-7599 extn 6487
   UNIX Systems Programmer, Computer Centre, University of Auckland
	     http://www.auckland.ac.nz/cc/People/RS.html

	      Remember ... in space anything is possible
	      -- provided you bolt the bed to the floor.