Subject: incoming directory

From: Shaun Courtney <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 1995 15:57:25 +0200 (GMT+0200)

Hi 

I would like the users on my system to be able to copy the files that
are dumped in the /incoming directory. At the moment only root 
can do this. 

I don't however, what to change the permissions to 777. So is there
a way that this can be done using guest groups or someting...

I really am quite clueless as to how to proceed.

Thanks for any pointers or help

Shaun Courntey
-- 
Oceanography Department University of Cape Town, South Africa
<URL:http://www.sea.uct.ac.za:80/index.html>

---

From: [email-masked] (Koos van den Hout _U nix and we all_)
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 95 9:17:20 MET DST

> a way that this can be done using guest groups or someting...

You could give /incoming the normal permissions, and then create dirs like
/incoming/user1, /incoming/user2 that have write and execute permissions
for ftp (no read permissions) and read and execute for others. Like :

/incoming   drwx-wx-wt   root   ftp

/incoming/user1   drwx-wx-wt  user1   ftp

If someone wants to upload something for user1, let them put it in
/incoming/user1 .

For extra security, disable the creation of directories, and if the only
reason you want the incoming is so people can send files to the users without
root being needed for moving, you could delete all the non-dirs from /incoming
periodically.

                                              Grtx. KH

-- 
| Koos van den Hout,     Unixer, Internetter                    and BBS SysOp |
| Home:[email-masked]      BBS Koos z'n Doos (+31-3402-36647 28k8 vfc) |
| Work:[email-masked] * finger [email-masked] for PGPkey * (+31-3402-56619 14k4) |
| URL: http://www.hvu.nl/users/koos  I'm looking for a lic.plate with RFC 822 |
|   GCS d- p(-) c++(+++) l+ u+++ e++ m+(-) s+/- !n h f+ g+ w(++) t+ r !y(*)   |