Subject: RE: Does wu-ftp support sub-logins?

From: [email-masked] (Mike Erwin, System Administrator)
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 1995 15:46:58 -0500

>Check out the guestgroup directive in ftpaccess - it will do this.
>
>
>>
>>Is it possible to have a user that for all intents and purposes seems to be
>>an anonymous user but has access to another directory within the ftp
>>directory tree?  The special user would need to be authenticated by typing
>>in a username and password, but would NOT be able to move outside of the
>>chroot'ed tree that anonymous users get to see.
>>

Perfect!  Thanks a million.

|  "From the lightning in the sky, as it passed me flying by,
|   From the thunder and the storm, and the cloud that took the form,
|   (When the rest of heaven was blue), of a demon in my view."
| {10010 | 0111}  ˆ Veritas Aut Nihil! ˆ Heads- heads... heads?  heads!
|
|  Mike Erwin,       Development Engineer       Apple Computer, Inc.
|  [email-masked]  [email-masked]
|  Austin Internet Administrator    [email-masked]
|  Apple: 512-908-8333   Home:  512-302-0577   Other:  512-345-3537

---

From: [email-masked] (Kevin W Mullet)
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 1995 15:56:29 -0500 (CDT)

I need something a little bit different.

I have guest groups set up for users that access various parts of the ftp
tree with the SITE GROUP blah and SITE GPASS blah commands, but I also
want to enable FTP-only authenticated logins for administrators of
various subtrees so that the admins can go in, add/delete files and
directories and keep things in good shape for their archive users.

I know I can set up a CLASS that corresponds to either a real userid in
/etc/passwd, a group defined with groupclass, or anonymous users, and
that each can have sub-definitions based on point of origin, but I don't
want to give privs to a place, I want to give them to a person; and I
don't want to enable access for a group -- just for the maintainer of
that group's archives; and finally, I don't want to create a user in
/etc/passwd to do this.

any ideas?

-KwM-