Subject: PID problems

From: [email-masked] (Bill Townsley)
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 1995 11:03:27 -0400 (EDT)

If there's a faq where this is already answered, I'm sorry to
trouble you, but if not...here it goes:

I've recently installed wuftp 2.4 on a SPARC 2 running SunOS 4.1.3.
Whenever anyone ftps my machine, I get these errors on my console.

Apr 12 14:07:33 rocky ftpd[2126]: open of pid file failed: No such file or directory
Apr 12 14:07:33 rocky last message repeated 2 times
Apr 12 14:07:46 rocky ftpd[2126]: open of pid file failed: No such file or directory

Can anyone tell what I did wrong?

|====================================|
| Bill Townsley, Computer Specialist |
|  USGS Center for Coastal Geology   |
|   St. Petersburg, Florida 33701    |
|    [email-masked]      |
|      813-893-3100 ext. 3019        |
|====================================|

---

From: Markus Wischerath <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 1995 17:34:00 +0200

> From [email-masked] Thu Apr 13 17:09 MET 1995
> From: [email-masked] (Bill Townsley)
> Subject: PID problems
> 

I had this happen on a Solaris 2.3 box because I made a typo when 
creating the _PATH_PIDNAMES directory. The default path is 
/usr/local/daemon/ftpd. 

If that path doesn't exist, the server will allow unlimited users 
on because user count doesn't work. :)

Cheers, -Markus

--
Markus Wischerath        Linguistic Data Processing
System Administrator        University of Cologne, Germany
[email-masked]        (+49) 221 470-4170  Fax 470-5193