Subject: hairloss = "Service not available"

From: [email-masked] (Michael Bentley)
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 1995 10:13:56 -0500

I've compiled and installed wu-ftpd 2.4.  Unfortunately, (though I am
reasonably sure I followed the instructions to the letter) when i try
to connect to it from localhost I get:

% ftp 0
Connected to 0.
220 epona FTP server (Version wu-2.4(8) Wed Apr 5 12:15:06 CDT 1995) ready.
Name (0:michael):
421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection
Login failed.
ftp>

... and when I try to connect to it from somethere else, I get:

$ ftp sugar-land.oilfield
Connected to sugar-land.oilfield.slb.com.
220 epona FTP server (Version wu-2.4(8) Wed Apr 5 12:15:06 CDT 1995) ready.
Name (sugar-land.oilfield:michael): michael
221 Server shutting down. Goodbye.
ftp>

The system I am trying to get 2.4 working on is a Sparc running Slowaris
2.4.  ckconfig claims that I have everything in the right place.  I am
pretty sure I have all the required libraries under ~ftp (tested by
running "chroot ~ftp /bin/sh" (for now, there is a copy of /bin/sh in
~ftp/bin/sh)).

any ideas?

--
Michael Bentley            -=-=-=-            Oilfield Marketing Services
GAT d++(--) H->+++ s !g p? au* a- w+ v++ C(---) US++++$ P+++ L+ 3+ E- N++
K W--- M V-- -po+ Y++ t+ 5 j R- G? !tv b++ D- B--- e+ u-(*) h++ f r n+ y?

---

From: CQ CQ de Jason <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 1995 23:27:10 +0800 (WST)

> 221 Server shutting down. Goodbye.

Please check your /etc/shutdown (file exist?)

and in the /etc/ftpaccess
shutdown /etc/shutdown
(then you should know how it happened)

Jason Chang