Subject: Solaris 2.4 devices - where is ticotsord ?

From: [email-masked] (Stephen M. Adams)
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 1995 17:58:16 +0000

I have installed wu-ftpd-2.4 on both Solaris 2.3 and 2.4 machines. 
Everything is fine with the 2.3 installation, but I have run into a 
problem with Solaris 2.4.

The /devices/pseudo/clone@0:ticotsord device appears to be missing.

The two Solaris 2.4 installations (with recommended patches) I have
locally are identical in this respect.  According to the man page with
Sun's own ftpd, this device should be present.

I know from the list that many of you do use this version of Solaris.
Can you give me any pointers as to how this problem is solved?

Thanks in advance,

===============================================================
       Stephen M. Adams         :    [email-masked]
   Systems/Software Engineer    :    Tel: +44 1232 894334
  BT Belfast Engineering Centre :    Fax: +44 1232 894316
===============================================================

---

From: M BAILEY <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 1995 15:12:23 -0400 (EDT)

I want to add an account on my machine REAL account I think :)
So that I can give a userid and passwd that will override all the anonymous
transfers and let these users in.
I thought I would need lke the sheel in the password file to read
bin/ftponly but I can not find ftponly on my system

Please help me in setting this up 
Thanks
Matthew S. Bailey

---

From: [email-masked] (Russell Street)
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 1995 18:36:53 +1200 (NZT)

> The /devices/pseudo/clone@0:ticotsord device appears to be missing.

On our "installed from scratch" 2.4 system I have:

$ ls -l /dev/tictsord
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root          32 Feb 28 14:12 /dev/ticotsord -> ../devices/pseudo/tl@0:ticotsord

$ ls -lL /dev/tictsord
crw-rw-rw-   1 root     sys      105,  1 Feb 28 13:32 /dev/ticotsord

where as on the 2.3 system it is as you say.

Perhaps you need to do a "boot -r" to get the right device files installed.

Russell
 -------------------------------------------------------------------
 Russell Street ([email-masked]) +64 (9) 373-7599 extn 6487
   UNIX Systems Programmer, Computer Centre, University of Auckland
	     http://www.auckland.ac.nz/cc/People/RS.html

	      Remember ... in space anything is possible
	      -- provided you bolt the bed to the floor.