Subject: Re: Accessing directories outside of the ftp structure?

From: "Steve Maybo" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 1995 16:31:23 PST

> So... an attempt to provide a symbolic link from the BBS directories
> to the ftp directories like...
> 
> 	ln -s /bbs/bbsfiles/DIME /usr/local/ftp/pub/DIME

I do this through a "hard" link (not a symbolic one) and it works 
fine.

So just remove the "-s" from the command above and make sure the "source" file 
has world-read rights ....

==============================================================
    _/_/_/    _/_/_/   _/_/_/    Steve G. Maybo
   _/   _/     _/    _/          Network Systems Analyst
  _/_/_/      _/     _/_/_/      RESEARCH INFORMATION SYSTEMS
 _/   _/     _/          _/    
_/    _/  _/_/_/   _/_/_/        [email-masked]
==============================================================

---

From: [email-masked] (Bill Campbell)
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 1995 17:45:57 -0700 (PDT)

> I do this through a "hard" link (not a symbolic one) and it works 
I doubt this will work in this case because the /bbs/bbsfiles/DIME
is a directory and isn't under the ftp directory so it won't be seen
when chroot'ed under anonymous ftp.

My solution to this type of thing is to mount the directories I want
available under the ftp directory using symbolic links to the
directories for convenient access.  The symbolic links can work both
under anon-ftp and normal access by making some strategic links in the
root file system.

As an example, my ftp directory is /ftp and I have an /ftp/pub
directory under that.  I then 'ln -s /ftp/pub /pub' at the root level
which makes links of the form 'ln -s /pub/xxxxxxx/yyy/zzz ...' work in
either environment.

Bill
--
INTERNET:   [email-masked]  Bill Campbell; Celestial Systems, Inc.
UUCP:               camco!bill  PO Box 820; 2835 82nd Avenue S.E. S-100
FAX:            (206) 232-9186  Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820; (206) 236-1676
URL: http://www.celestial.com/

You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a
reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating
the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for
independence.
        -- Charles A. Beard

---

From: M BAILEY <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 1995 21:25:41 -0400 (EDT)

> which makes links of the form 'ln -s /pub/xxxxxxx/yyy/zzz ...' work in

You could always use realtive instead of absolute links as well This 
makes life alot easier and makes the file system a little more portable :)

Just my 2cents worth.
Matthew S. Bailey
[email-masked]
[email-masked]
Assistant Sys. Admin. Central Michigan University Computer Center

---

From: Vidiot <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 1995 09:57:44 -0500 (CDT)

<
<> So... an attempt to provide a symbolic link from the BBS directories
<> to the ftp directories like...
<> 
<> 	ln -s /bbs/bbsfiles/DIME /usr/local/ftp/pub/DIME
<
<I do this through a "hard" link (not a symbolic one) and it works 
<fine.

You can't use a hard link if the files are on different filesystems.

MB
-- 
System Administrator - Extrel FTMS - Madison WI.
e-mail: [email-masked]
phone: (608) 273-8262  fax: (608) 273-8719  voice-mail: (800) 426-6488 ext 6293
Visit - http://www.ftms.com/vidiot/  (Your link to the world of Star Trek)