Subject: FAQ

From: "Alexander L. Haiut" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 1995 20:05:05 -0200 (GMT-0200)

Hi there.. I'm tired of questions "Is there a FAQ for this list?",
	and tried to make one.. Here it is.. Hope it helps..

			Sincerely,
				--alex.

 --- FAQ -----------------------------------------------------------------

			   Wu-archive FTPD

			Frequently Asked Questions

        Release 0.1                                 March 4, 1995

 --- Disclaimer -----------------------------------------------------------

	The information within this paper may  be  changed  without  notice.
	The information within this paper provided  under _AS IS_ condition.
	There are NO WARRANTIES with regard to this information. In no event
	shall the author/s be liable for any damages  whatsoever arising out
	of or in connection with the use or spread of this info.

 --- Questions -------------------------------------------------------------

	1.  What is wu-ftpd itself and this mailing list in particular ?
	2.  Where do I get the wu-ftpd ?
	3.  Is this list archived anywhere ?
        4.  Is there any books/docs about this daemon and anonymous ftp
            service at all ?
	5.  Why cc complains about strunames, typenames, modenames, ...
            being undeclared ?
        6.  Why ftpd says "221 Server shutting down.  Goodbye."
        7.  Why file format conversion doesn't work for me ?
        8.  Anonymous ftp works fine, but real users denied access -- WHY ?!
        9.  Why ls, dir don't work for me ? What causes error message:
            "425 Can't build data connection: Connection refused."
        10. Anything else ?

 --- Answers ---------------------------------------------------------------

 1.  Q:	What is wu-ftpd itself and this mailing list in particular ?
     A: Wuarchive-ftpd, more affectionately known as wu-ftpd, is a
        replacement ftp daemon for Un*x systems developed at Washington
        University (*.wustl.edu) by Bryan D. O'Connor. wu-ftpd is the
	most popular ftp daemon on the Internet, used on many anonymous
        ftp sites all around the world.

	This mailing list is for discussing problems with maintaining this
	daemon and ftp-sites where it is used.

 2.  Q:	Where do I get the wu-ftpd ? What is the last version of the daemon?
     A: The wu-ftpd home is wuarchive.wustl.edu, the exact URL is:

		ftp://wuarchive.wustl.edu/pub/unix/wuarchive-ftpd/

	This daemon is available in source code and binaries from many
	other ftp-sites, ask _archie_ where to look for.

	Current release is 2.4.
	
 3.  Q: Is this list archived anywhere ?
     A: YES. Searchable archive of this mailing list is available at URL

	        http://freeway.oact.hq.nasa.gov/wuarchive.html

        The page at URL http://freeway.oact.hq.nasa.gov/wuftp.html
        contains basic questions and answers about wu-ftpd.

	This archive created and maintained by Judy Pellerin,
	[email-masked]. Thanks, Judy -- nice work!

 4.  Q: Is there any books/docs about this daemon and anonymous ftp
        service at all ?
     A: YES, the book published by O'Reilly & Associates:

                Managing Internet Information Services
        By Cricket Liu, Jerry Peek, Russ Jones, Bryan Buus & Adrian Nye
                600 pages (est.) ISBN 1-56592-062-7, $29.95

        The book covers all the main informational services you may want
        to install on your site: anonymous ftp, WWW, Gopher, WAIS, etc..

        To purchase this and many other O'Reilly books on the net, take a
        look at URL http://www.ora.com/gnn/ .

        Correct setup of anonymous ftp service is fully described in
        Anonymous FTP FAQ lists. The one I use is compiled by C. Klaus
        <[email-masked]>, and available at URLs : http://iss.net/~iss ,
        ftp://iss.net/pub/faq/.

        Another source of info about proper anonymous FTP setup is available
        at URL : ftp://ftp.cert.org/pub/tech_tips/anonymous_ftp.
        This one maintained by CERT (Computer Emergency Response Team).

 5.  Q: Why cc complains about strunames, typenames, modenames, ...
        being undeclared ?
     A: This error fully explained in INSTALL file in wu-ftpd package.
        Here are few lines from there:

   .... INSTALL ......................................................

    If cc complains about strunames, typenames, modenames, ... being undefined
    you need to install support/ftp.h as /usr/include/arpa/ftp.h (always make
    a backup of the old ftp.h just in case!) and do the build again.  The new
    ftp.h should be a compatible superset of your existing ftp.h, so you
    shouldn't have problems with this replacement.
   ...................................................................

 6.  Q: Why ftpd says "221 Server shutting down.  Goodbye."
     A: Check ftpshut directive in in _ftpaccess_ file. This message
        usually caused by file referenced in this directive. Just delete
        the file and everything will work.

 7.  Q: Why file format conversion doesn't work for me ?
     A: There could be some reasons for this problem...

        -- check "tar" and "compress" directives in ftpaccess file; the
           lines containing these directive should include names of user
           classes to which you allow using these features.

        -- check ftpconversions file, path and locations of programs
           referenced there (gzip, compress, tar, etc..)

        -- to allow getting the whole directory by "get dir.tar.gz", make
           sure that you're using GNU tar (all the rest see in anon-ftp FAQ)

 8.  Q: Anonymous ftp works fine, but real users denied access -- WHY ???
     A: Real users' shell must be listed in /etc/shells file.

 9.  Q: Why ls, dir don't work for me ? What causes error message:
        "425 Can't build data connection: Connection refused."
     A: Seems like your platform need shared libraries installed in
        ~ftp/ tree. Check shared libraries setup, files in /dev, /lib,
        /usr/lib, /etc.

        Small advice based on my own experience: if possible, use statically
        linked binaries -- you won't need to set up libraries, etc..

 10. Q: Anything else ?
     A: YES! Sure, not all topics are covered in this FAQ, not all problems
        discussed.. Everybody who uses wu-ftpd, and has suggestions, additions,
        comments about this FAQ list, please, feel free add them to the file
        and re-post it to the list or directly to me.

        I'm not sure than I'll be able to maintain this FAQ list in future, so
        if there are volunters, it will be great.. :)

 --- Comments ------------------------------------------------------------

        The following questions seem to me "FREQUENTLY ASKED", but since
        I have no experience with them, I have no answer for them here:

          - Is wu-ftpd ported to IRIX 5.2 ? Where can I get a copy ?!
          - "425 Can't create data socket (0.0.0.0,65535): Bad file number"
            What causes this error message ?

            (heh.. something wrong with devices, more, I remember there was
             a patch for Solaris for this problem, but didn't find it in my
             archives.. :-(

          - ftpd hangs.. WHY ? (there are some patches suggested, ahh ? )

 --- Credits -------------------------------------------------------------

        Thanks a lot to:

         - Judy Pellerin <[email-masked]> - for maintaining
           great searchable archive of this mailing list.

         - Christopher Klaus <[email-masked]> - for providing anonymous ftp
           FAQ list.

         - CERT Coordination Center <[email-masked]> - for providing documents
           on proper anonymous ftp setup.

 --- Me ------------------------------------------------------------------

        Who am I ? My name is Alexander L. Haiut, I am B.Sc. student at
        Dept. of Mathematics and Computer Science at Ben-Gurion University.

        I'm working as assistant system manager at departamental CS lab,
        and installed departamental WWW and anonymous-ftp servers.

        Take a look: http://www.cs.bgu.ac.il/ or ftp://ftp.cs.bgu.ac.il/.

        Any suggestions, comments are welcome. e-mail : [email-masked]

 --- End -----------------------------------------------------------------

  Alexander L. Haiut
  Dept. of Computer Science		 	
  Ben-Gurion University, Israel
 _______________________________________
  www    : http://www.cs.bgu.ac.il/~alx
  e-mail : [email-masked]
  voice  : +972-7-461658