Subject: make: Fatal: failed for 'install'

From: Marc Russell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 1995 12:07:37 -0800 (PST)

OK,here's the problem. I've been trying to install vs. 2.4 on a SPARC10 
running Solaris 2.3 and gcc 2.5.3.

The 'build sol' works just fine, but when I go to do a 'build install' I 
get the errors below:

# ./build install 
make args are :  
make opts are :  
mv -f /usr/local/etc/ftpd /usr/local/etc/ftpd-old 
mv: cannot access /usr/local/etc/ftpd 
*** Error code 2 (ignored) 
Installing binaries.  
install -u bin -g bin -m 755 bin/ftpd /usr/local/etc/ftpd 
new owner is bin 
find: cannot open /usr/local/etc/ftpd: No such file or directory 
find: cannot follow symbolic link /bin/detect-term: No such file or directory 
find: cannot follow symbolic link /usr/bin/detect-term: No such file or directory 
install: ftpd was not found anywhere!  
*** Error code 2
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `install'

The Makefile doesn't say anything about detect-term, and it doesn't exist 
on my system anywhere except in the false symlink.  The reason for the 
first error code is that ftpd doesn't exist in /usr/local/etc/ yet.  It 
will, if it ever installs.

However, I don't understand what's going on below the first Error Code 2 
message.  It claims to have installed ftpd in /usr/local/etc, but, then 
says it doesn't exist.  Then it gets into this detect-term stuff, looking 
for something I don't even have.

Can anyone please help?

Thanks in advance!

-marc russell
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Russell Street)
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 1995 19:35:27 +1200 (NZT)

> running Solaris 2.3 and gcc 2.5.3.

...

> make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `install'

The SystemV 'install' program is NOT the BSD install program that
wu-ftpd is expecting.  

The SysVile one goes searching through common places for the binary to
replace.  THe messages you are getting presumably are because you have
dud links at
	/bin/detect-term
 and it is complaining.

Either examine what the install script does
	make -n install
 and do it by hand, or grab the GNU file utilities and install get the
install program out of that and use it.

Failing that you can read the man page on install, and modify the
Makefile to use the right options.

Russell
 -------------------------------------------------------------------
 Russell Street ([email-masked]) +64 (9) 373-7599 extn 6487
   UNIX Systems Programmer, Computer Centre, University of Auckland
	     http://www.auckland.ac.nz/cc/People/RS.html

	   It's something to do with the shortage of money
	       and the holidays in the South of France.