Subject: gzip works, compress doesn't

From: [email-masked] (Scott Evans)
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 1995 15:01:17 -0500 (EST)

Hi all,

I just finished setting up wu-ftpd on an RS/6000 running AIX 3.2.4.
Everything went great and the server seems to be working well, except for
one quirk.  

When I log in as an anonymous user, I can't get compressed files using the
".Z" extension.  I *can* get gzip'd files, and compress works when I log in
as a "real" user.  There is a copy of AIX's compress in ~ftp/bin, and it
has the same permissions as gzip has there.  If I do, say, "get foo.Z",
foo.Z shows up in my directory, but it's empty.

Anyone know what's going on here?

 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 scott evans                                                  [email-masked]
 -------------------------------we're not alone--------------------------------

---

From: "TSgt Todd C. Knauer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 1995 18:20:38 -0600 (CST)

> Anyone know what's going on here?

   I had the same problem until I found the source code to compress and 
compiled it.  It has to be statically linked and the version that comes 
with AIX is dynamically linked.  I will put a both the binary and the 
source on my ftp server for you.

ftp thunder.safb.af.mil:/outgoing/syc/compress/*

						Todd

---------------------------------------------------
              United States Air Force
    Environmental Technical Applications Center
---------------------------------------------------
Todd Knauer        -  [email-masked]
Network Management -  Network Administrator
Scott AFB, Il.     -  System/Application Programmer
---------------------------------------------------