Subject: Re: password authentication

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 1995 16:40:43 +0100

rh>
rh>Hello everybody:
rh>
rh>It is mentioned in the ftpaccess manual that. I should be able to do the 
rh>following.
rh>---------------------
rh>The user's home directory must be properly set up, exactly as anonymous FTP
rh>would be. The home directory field of the passwd entry is divided into two 
rh>directories. The first field is the root directory which will be the argument
rh>to the chroot() call. The second half is the user's home directory relative to
rh>the root directory. The two halves are separated by a "/./".
rh>
rh>Example:
rh>
rh>in /etc/passwd, the real entry:
rh>
rh>guest1:<passwd>:100:92:Guest Account:/ftp/./incoming:/etc/ftponly
rh>
rh>When guest1 successfully logs in, the ftp server will chroot("/ftp") and then
rh> chdir("/incoming"). The guest user will only be able to access the directory 
rh>structure under /ftp (which will look and act as / to guest1), just as an 
rh>anonymous FTP user would.

It is also mentioned in the manuals, that you have to announce the primary
group of the guest account AS a guest-type account in ftpaccess.
>> guestgroup groupname_of_gid_92

rh>----------------------------
rh>I tried it, but I could not get it to work. When I am accessing the system 
rh>through FTP by using guest1, I do get to the right directory. BUT, If I do
rh>" cd /" I will end up on the system root directory, not /ftp.
rh>also there where couple of thing that I did not understand 

Yes, this happens when you don't have your guestgroup line in ftpaccess. The
account is taken as a normal user account and it's complete home-directory
is given to a chdir. No chroot.

rh>
rh>Is "/etc/ftponly " the same thing as "/bin/true" or "/bin/XXsh" or something
rh>else?

Some shell you can't use for login but is present and in /etc/shells. /bin/true
would be OK.

rh>
rh>> The user's home directory must be properly set up, exactly as anonymous FTP
rh>> would be.
rh>
rh>I didn't get it "anonymous is not a user, or at least do not have an entry in
rh>the passwd file.

ftp should have an entry in /etc/passwd (and shadow when you have it).

rh>
rh>> in /etc/passwd, the real entry:
rh>is this real /etc/passwd or /ftp/etc/passwd
rh>
rh>OS is sunos4.XX , Use automount and NIS, too.
rh>
rh>Thank you

Ronald.