Subject: Trouble with BSD 4.4

From: [email-masked] (James Stott)
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 1995 22:20 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

I have been trying to install wu-ftpd on a FreeBSD 2.0 (BSD 4.4Lite) 486-66
system - and have run into a couple of problems.

As a ref to my problems, I did have to work some of the compile issues with
ftw.c - function chwalk, conflicting types for malloc - previous declaration
for malloc in /usr/include/stdlib.h, as well as realpath.c - conflicting
types for realpath prior to a "compile".   

After I setup wu-ftpd, I could ftp from one of our local machines, and "ls",
"cd", but right after I would "get xxxx", the server would disconnect !  All
seemed to work ok, until you "get" a file, then the ftp session would end
(The file did transfer too).  I saved the ftpd exec and tried to re-compile,
look at the setup etc..., but now no matter what, when I ftp the box, I get:  

        xxx FTP server (Version wu-2.4(1)... 
        Name (xx.xx.xx.xx:yyyyy): _   

but as soon as I type in "anonymous, or one of the (true) real user names"
at the prompt, the prompt comes back with:

       xxx Server shutting down.  Goodbye

I did run ckconfig to verify all ftpaccess etc.. files were where they were
supposed to be...and the utility programs seem to run fine (ftpcount,
ftpwho) - But I don't know exactly what to do next ?  Or what I have hosed up !

I have put inetd in the debug and log mode "ined -dl", which will display
the following when I try to ftp from on of our "local" machines:

someone wants ftp
Accept, ctrl 3
170 execl /usr/local/etc/ftpd
170 reaped, status 0

The ftpaccess, ftphosts etc. are un-modified from the examples directory.
I have also been through the O'Reilly "Managing Internet" book SEVERAL times
(good book BTW) in the chapter WU Archive chapter...but I just don't know
what is wrong (file configuration or compile problems was my best guess).

I would appreciate any help or insight - 

Thanks,

Jim

[email-masked]