Subject: Problem solved? ( Need help with wu-ftpd-2.4 on DECstation 5000 )

From: Dave Edsall - The Tauminator <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 1995 16:40:06 -0600

This is what I wrote last Wednesday:

*******************************************************************

Date:    Thu, 02 Mar 95 02:23:04 -0600
From:    Dave Edsall - The Tauminator <[email-masked]>
To:      [email-masked]
Subject: Need help with wu-ftpd-2.4 on DECstation 5000 running Ultrix

    My problem is:

    I am building wuftpd release 2.4 on a DECstation 5000/200
running Ultrix 4.3 at CERN. I followed all of the instructions

    build ult
    cp /bin/compress ~ftp/bin
    cp /usr/local/bin/gtar ~ftp/bin
    cp /usr/local/bin/gzip ~ftp/bin

and have modified the files ftpaccess and ftpconversions so that
they look as follows

class   local   real,guest,anonymous *.cern.ch
class   remote  real,guest,anonymous *

limit   local   1   Any              /dsds1/wuftpd/msgs/msg.dead
limit   remote   1   Any              /dsds1/wuftpd/msgs/msg.dead

loginfails 3

readme  README*    login
readme  README*    cwd=*

banner                             /dsds1/wuftpd/msgs/login.delsoft
message /welcome.msg            login
message .message                cwd=*

compress        yes             local remote
tar             yes             local remote

log commands real,anonymous
log transfers anonymous,real inbound,outbound

shutdown /etc/shutmsg

email [email-masked]

passwd-check rfc822 warn

 :.Z:  :  :/bin/compress -d -c %s:T_REG|T_ASCII:O_UNCOMPRESS:UNCOMPRESS
 :.gz: :  :/bin/gzip -cd %s:T_REG|T_ASCII:O_UNCOMPRESS:GUNZIP
 :   : :.Z:/bin/compress -c %s:T_REG:O_COMPRESS:COMPRESS
 :   : :.gz:/bin/gzip -9 -c %s:T_REG:O_COMPRESS:GZIP
 :   : :.tar:/bin/tar -c -f - %s:T_REG|T_DIR:O_TAR:TAR
 :   : :.tar.Z:/bin/tar -c -Z -f - %s:T_REG|T_DIR:O_COMPRESS|O_TAR:TAR+COMPRESS
 :   : :.tar.gz:/bin/tar -c -z -f - %s:T_REG|T_DIR:O_COMPRESS|O_TAR:TAR+GZIP

    All of the configuration files and binaries are sitting in
directories in /dsds1/wuftpd/.....etc,bin,adm,daemon

     My problem is......

     The tarring and zipping/unzipping on the fly is not working

     I get no output from ls -l or  dir

     The local files created when I have .tar, .Z and .gz  ( i.e. any
conversions ) are always of zero length. So, the files are opened and so
is the socket it appears. Maybe a problem with ftpd_popen? Any other
ideas? Feel free to try anonymous ftp where I am having the problem at

       delsoft.cern.ch

       Thanks,

             Dave

*******************************************************************

   This is what has happened since:

    I have been building ftpd from the US on a machine in
Switzerland. On Friday, someone in Switerland rebooted the machine.
Since then, the ftpd WORKS!!  Can anyone tell me why? It must have
required some other system daemon to be restarted ( like YP ) but I
don't know. Another fixed symptom: prior to the reboot, while I was
having problems, the daemon always registered -1 users logged in.
It now accurately measures the number of users logged in.

    So, I am happy, because it works, but I'd be even happier if
someone could tell me what the problem may have been.

        Thanks in advance,

            Dave