From: UPT <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 1995 16:56:37 -0700

I am having a  probelm using a `.netrc' file under Linux 1.2.1, and the
ftp client that accompanies it.  Someone let me know if this is beyond
the scope of support for wu-ftpd--however I have not been able to think 
of another listserv that may know the answer to this question, perhaps
a Linux listserv.  However, here goes anyway :-)

-- Clipped from the ftp man page --

[ Section discussing ~/.netrc ]

     login name
	       Identify a user on the remote machine.  If this token is pre-
	       sent, the auto-login process will initiate a login using the
	       specified name.

     password string
	       Supply a password.  If this token is present, the auto-login
	       process will supply the specified string if the remote server
	       requires a password as part of the login process. 

     macdef name
	       Define a macro.	This token functions like the ftp macdef com-
	       mand functions.	A macro is defined with the specified name;
	       its contents begin with the next .netrc line and continue until
	       a null line (consecutive new-line characters) is encountered.
	       If a macro named init is defined, it is automatically executed
	       as the last step in the auto-login process.

-- My ~/.netrc (mode 600) --
machine target.host.com
login myuser
password mypass
macdef init
bin
put test.file
bye

(2 consecutive newline characters)
[EOF]

-- Running ftp results in the following: --
Connected to target.host.com
220 target.host.com FTP server (Version wu-2.1c(1) Tue Feb 1 1994) ready.
Unknown .netrc option macdef
Unknown .netrc option init
Unknown .netrc option bin
Unknown .netrc option put
Unknown .netrc option test.file
Unknown .netrc option bye
331 Password required for myuser.
230 User myuser logged in.
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
ftp> quit <-- typed by myself from the keyboard

Has anyone ever had this problem before?