Subject: Re: gzip works, compress doesn't

From: "Dr. Jutta Weisel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 95 09:40:28 +0200

On Wed, 15 Mar 1995 18:20:38 -0600 (CS, TSgt Todd C. Knauer wrote:

Since December i've been looking for a solution of this problem.
It's great that you solved it. Thanks!
Jutta Weisel

---------------------------------------------------------------
HRZ, Hans Meerwein Strasse, 35032 Marburg, Tel. (06421) 28-3572

---

From: [email-masked] (Andrea Actis)
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 1995 09:11:15 +0100

Hi

>When I log in as an anonymous user, I can't get compressed files using the
>".Z" extension.  I *can* get gzip'd files, and compress works when I log in
>as a "real" user.  There is a copy of AIX's compress in ~ftp/bin, and it
>has the same permissions as gzip has there.  If I do, say, "get foo.Z",
>foo.Z shows up in my directory, but it's empty.

Only an hints, look for a shared library in your ~ftp tree, probably IBM
compress need some shared lib and don't found it in the chrooted environment
with this result, on SUN solaris there is a command "ldd" what show the
needed shared library for a given commands, probably there is a similar
command for AIX.

Best regards
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Andrea Actis Oreglia                               [email-masked]
                                     http://drogo.cselt.stet.it/~actis
CENTRO STUDI E LABORATORI TELECOMUNICAZIONI S.p.A.

ITALY - 10148 TORINO - Via G. Reiss Romoli, 274 - TEL. (0039) 11-2285111
TELEX 220539 CSELTI - FAX (0039) 11-2285520 GR. 3