Subject: Re: FAQ

From: "Nelson H. F. Beebe" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 1995 18:24:07 -0700

Try -Bstatic as well as -static; one or the other should give you an
executable for which ldd shows no dynamic load libraries.

========================================================================
Nelson H. F. Beebe                      Tel: +1 801 581 5254
Center for Scientific Computing         FAX: +1 801 581 4148
Department of Mathematics, 105 JWB      Internet: [email-masked]
University of Utah
Salt Lake City, UT 84112, USA
========================================================================

---

From: [email-masked] (Patrick Salsbury)
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 1995 14:37:01 -0800 (PST)

-Try -Bstatic as well as -static; one or the other should give you an
-executable for which ldd shows no dynamic load libraries.
-
-========================================================================
-Nelson H. F. Beebe                      Tel: +1 801 581 5254
-Center for Scientific Computing         FAX: +1 801 581 4148
-Department of Mathematics, 105 JWB      Internet: [email-masked]
-University of Utah
-Salt Lake City, UT 84112, USA
-========================================================================

Nope. Seems to have ignored the -Bstatic, and given me the same executable as
when I did -static last week. 

gcc -c  -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I.. -I. -I../lib -I./../lib -g -O -Bstatic ls.c
gcc: file path prefix `static' never used
gcc -c  -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I.. -I. -I../lib -I./../lib -g -O -Bstatic ls-dir.c
gcc: file path prefix `static' never used
gcc  -o dir ls.o ls-dir.o ../lib/libfu.a version.o 
gcc -c  -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I.. -I. -I../lib -I./../lib -g -O -Bstatic ls-vdir.c
gcc: file path prefix `static' never used
gcc  -o vdir ls.o ls-vdir.o ../lib/libfu.a version.o 
gcc -c  -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I.. -I. -I../lib -I./../lib -g -O -Bstatic ls-ls.c
gcc: file path prefix `static' never used
gcc  -o ls ls.o ls-ls.o ../lib/libfu.a version.o 

(2:20pm)Tue 14#l ls ls.old 
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root       114688 Mar 14 14:18 ls
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root       114688 Mar 10 16:32 ls.old

(2:19pm)Tue 14#ldd ls
        -lc.1 => /usr/lib/libc.so.1.9
        -ldl.1 => /usr/lib/libdl.so.1.0
(2:19pm)Tue 14#ldd ls.old
        -lc.1 => /usr/lib/libc.so.1.9
        -ldl.1 => /usr/lib/libdl.so.1.0

	The thing that's REALLY confusing me is that it USED TO WORK!
Something changed recently, and I can't figure out what. It's not the files,
as their dates are all old. I think it's something in permissions, but I can't
figure it out. 

	*SIGH* :-(

Pat
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
	  Patrick Salsbury 	                IXI/Visionware           
	Sys Admin/Webmaster             4500 Bohannon Dr., Suite #280  
	Voice: 415/325-2113	             Menlo Park, CA 94025      
	 FAX: 415/325-8710	      X/UNIX/PC Integration Specialists