Subject: Hung Transfers w/ Linux

From: "Jae W. Chang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 1995 08:23:10 -0500 (EST)

Hi, I'm having a problem w/ wu-ftpd 2.4 without any other patches and
with some patches running on a linux box - particularly 1.1.72.

When transferring files or ls'ing, etc, the transfer will never end
even though the file has been completely downloaded or the ls has
completely listed all files. Sending a C-c usually cures things and
gives me a prompt back to let me get on to other things. Files are
completely transferred even after C-c'ing, so for some reason, the ftp
client just isn't getting the "end" signal or ftpd isn't sending
one???

This happens on and off, as well. I believe that it's been strictly
isolated to modem slip connections, too.

Anybody else getting this sort of behavior?

Thanks for any info.

Jae

--------------------------
[email-masked]

---

From: Guy Shaviv <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 1995 09:44:11 -12000

On Thu, 2 Mar 1995, Thomas Leavitt wrote:

> Have you noticed any correlation with users using "Fetch" on the
> Macintosh or Netcom Netcruiser accountholders (ix.netcom.com)?

Yes!, certainly so! I'm also having problems with hang processes, and
sometimes even broken uploads. As far as I could determine they don't
happen with users using a unix-based ftp client, but happen alot with
users using the Mac's Fetch program. 

Guy.

Rest of the message..
> --
> Web Communications (sm)            Thomas [email-masked]
> Voice: (408) 457-9671 x101         Lead Systems & Network Admin./Tech Suppt.
>  
> Web Communications Home Page <URL:http://www.webcom.com/>
>

---

From: Thomas Leavitt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 1995 15:47:45 -0800 (PST)