Subject: Problems moving from Solaris 2.3 to 2.4 with wuftpd 2.4

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 1995 10:17:07 +0000

Hi Folks

I've only just joined this mailing list (because I only just found
out about it), so I suspect this question has been done to death.

I had wuarchive ftpd version 2.4 running happily on Solaris 2.3 until
yesterday when I upgraded the machine to Solaris 2.4.  The ftpd I'm
using was freshly recompiled on Solaris 2.4 but is totally unchanged
from the one I was using under Solaris 2.3.

Now when I try to do an ftp to an anonymous ftp to the machine I get
220 teleri.ee.surrey.ac.uk FTP server (Version wu-2.4(10) Tue Mar 21 09:47:42 GMT 1995) ready.
Name (ftp:ees1bk): anonymous
331 Guest login ok, send your complete e-mail address as password.
Password:
230 Guest login ok, access restrictions apply.
ftp> ls
200 PORT command successful.
425 Can't create data socket (0.0.0.0,20): Bad file number.
ftp> 

Investigating using truss, I discover that the error occurs on the
open of /dev/tcp, which returns with Error 2, ENOENT.  The daemon is
run chroot'd into /public/ftp and I've overmounted /dev/fd into the
/public/ftp/dev directory using the loopback filesystem.  In addition
to /dev/fd, I've also created /dev/tcp, /dev/null, /dev/zero, and 
/dev/udp within the chroot'd tree - all have the correct major and
minor device numbers and are mode 666.

This was what worked in Solaris 2.3, and now in 2.4 it doesn't work.

Any ideas or suggestions please?  Surely someone out there has this
working under Solaris 2.4?

Regards, Bevis.

Bevis R W King,                    | Email:  [email-masked]
Computer Systems Support Officer,  | Web  :  http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/
Dept of Electronic & Electrical    | Voice:  +44 483 259826 or UoS ext 9826
Engineering, University of Surrey, | Email list for European LaserDisc Users:
Guildford UK GU2 5XH.              | [email-masked] to join.
-----------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
"I am Pentium of Borg, Division is futile, you will be approximated".