Subject: Config Problem with wu-ftpd 2.4?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 1995 11:26:19 -0500

Greetings,

I have configured the wu-ftpd 2.4 for aix 3.2.5 and am currently
ironing out some problems I have encountered.

I am able to ftp to the site I have set up, but it appears that the
'dir' and 'ls -l' commands do not function properly.

When I issue a 'ls', the server returns:

200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for /bin/ls.
bin
etc
pub
incoming
universe
226 Transfer complete.

When I ussue a 'ls -l' from the client system, the server returns:

200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for /bin/ls.
226 Transfer complete.

When I issue a 'dir' from the client system, the server returns:

200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for /bin/ls.
226 Transfer complete.

Do I have something mis-configured (Probably!).

Any hints from those in the know?

Thanks in advance for your help.  I owe you one...
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Brad Christensen                       | The opinions expressed are
Manager, IUPUI Campus Services Support | my own, or those I have
1830 W 16th St                         | stolen from others.
Indianapolis IN 46202                  |
(317) 274-9677 voice                   | The number one cause of
(317) 274-4218 fax                     | computer problems is
[email-masked] Internet      | computer solutions.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Joshua Krage <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 1995 13:04:49 -0500 (EST)

> 'dir' and 'ls -l' commands do not function properly.

Yup.  Sounds just like my (old) problem with the same type of system.  
You're missing the /lib/libc.a and /lib/libcurses.a libraries in your 
FTP area.  That and/or you're missing the /bin/ls command.  Read the AIX 
man or Info page on ftpd or run the /usr/lpp/tcpip/samples/anon.ftp 
script (with suitable modifications) for more details.

You also need (according to the man page) a /usr/lpp/msg/nls hierarchy, 
which contains the ls.cat file for ls error messages.

It would be nice for the installation notes to include mention of stuff 
like this (check the vendors man pages, etc.).  Or failing that, the FAQ 
at the least...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Joshua Krage                                            [email-masked]
Network Administrator          SCIENTECH, Inc.        (301) 468-6425 (Voice)