Subject: Re: solaris 2.4 can't get wu-ftpd to work..

From: [email-masked] (Andrea Actis)
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 1995 09:20:45 +0100

reHi

>	I have installed wu-ftpd-2.4. It's working fine for 
>	anonymous ftp. But, it fails complaining login in 
>	correct for real accounts.

At my site wu-ftpd-2.4 work nicely on a SPARCstation 20 with Solaris 2.4

I use it for anonymous real and also guest users, with no great problem,
only some silent FTP connection (i think in most case arrived from WEB
browser) sometime.

Your message don't give any hints on the real kind of problem, I can give
you only some suggest, look for /etc/ftpusers (user listed here can't
accessed by FTP), create a /etc/shells file with in it a line for any shell
your users use with WU-FTPD only user with a listed shell can log (is a
security feature and not a BUG); if nothing of this work send me your
fpaccess file and some more info, and i can try to catch your exactly
problems :)

Best regards
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Andrea Actis Oreglia                               [email-masked]
                                     http://drogo.cselt.stet.it/~actis
CENTRO STUDI E LABORATORI TELECOMUNICAZIONI S.p.A.

ITALY - 10148 TORINO - Via G. Reiss Romoli, 274 - TEL. (0039) 11-2285111
TELEX 220539 CSELTI - FAX (0039) 11-2285520 GR. 3

---

From: Koti Nandipati <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 1995 12:11:21 -0500 (EST)

Andrea Actis writes
> fpaccess file and some more info, and i can try to catch your exactly

	the problem is with /bin/tcsh. People whose login shell	is
	/bin/tcsh are unable to ftp while all the other are.

	It prompts for password and user types in the correct passwd
	then ftpd says login incorrect and closes connection. the
	strange thing is it's working for all other shells.
	
	--koti( /etc/shells has /bin/tcsh)

---

From: [email-masked] (Patrick Salsbury)
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 95 10:39:53 PST

-Date: Thu, 16 Mar 1995 12:11:21 -0500 (EST)
-Reply-To: [email-masked]
-Sender: [email-masked]
-From: Koti Nandipati <[email-masked]>
-Mime-Version: 1.0
-Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
-Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
-X-Mailer: ELM [version 2.4 PL22]
-X-Listprocessor-Version: 7.1 -- ListProcessor by CREN
-
-Andrea Actis writes
-> At my site wu-ftpd-2.4 work nicely on a SPARCstation 20 with Solaris 2.4
-> 
-> I use it for anonymous real and also guest users, with no great problem,
-> only some silent FTP connection (i think in most case arrived from WEB
-> browser) sometime.
-> 
-> Your message don't give any hints on the real kind of problem, I can give
-> you only some suggest, look for /etc/ftpusers (user listed here can't
-> accessed by FTP), create a /etc/shells file with in it a line for any shell
-> your users use with WU-FTPD only user with a listed shell can log (is a
-> security feature and not a BUG); if nothing of this work send me your
-> fpaccess file and some more info, and i can try to catch your exactly
-> problems :)
-> 
-
-	the problem is with /bin/tcsh. People whose login shell	is
-	/bin/tcsh are unable to ftp while all the other are.
-
-	It prompts for password and user types in the correct passwd
-	then ftpd says login incorrect and closes connection. the
-	strange thing is it's working for all other shells.
-	
-	--koti( /etc/shells has /bin/tcsh)
-
	I use tcsh all the time, and have no problems. 	I don't think it's the
shell...

Pat
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
	  Patrick Salsbury 	                IXI/Visionware           
	Sys Admin/Webmaster             4500 Bohannon Dr., Suite #280  
	Voice: 415/325-2113	             Menlo Park, CA 94025      
	 FAX: 415/325-8710	      X/UNIX/PC Integration Specialists

---

From: [email-masked] (Russell Street)
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 1995 11:49:34 +1300 (NDT)

> 	--koti( /etc/shells has /bin/tcsh)

Is there a newline at the end of the /bin/tcsh line?  Have you made
sure there are no suprious spaces at the end of the line?

I suspect both of those would cause problems.

Russell