From: "Q.E.L." <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 1995 20:01:55 -0700

Hello, has anyone here had any problems with anonymous ftp under the version
of wu-ftpd that accompanies Yggdrasil Linux on CD-ROM?  I can't recall
the version of wu-ftpd, but I'm sure it's the latest because I ftp'ed
the only copy from sunsite and reinstalled it, only my problems still
occur.

All users can connect via ftp, and login.  However the anonymous user
after logging in cannot issue an 'ls' (LIST) command.  It claims it's
establishing a connection for '/bin/ls' and then nothing (it's done), no
files are displayed.  I'm 99% sure I have *everything* that is required
in order for anonymous FTP to work, including a valid shell in '/etc/shells'
for the ftp user.  ~ftp is owned by the ftp user, but mode 555.  The file
at ~ftp/bin/ls is both searchable and executable.  The directory ~ftp/etc
contains an acceptable passwd(5) and group(5) file.  I even created the
file ~ftp/lib/libc.so.vv, where 'vv' represent the current lib version
on my system (this is an actual copy, not a symlink).

I tried reading this listserv for a week, in hope that someone with
similar problems would post something and I could save everyone some
time.  I also tried looking for a FAQ, and now I have tried everything
I could possibly ever think of.  Does anyone have any suggestions?
(if I need to be more specific about my OS version, and the wu-ftp
version, please let me know.  My kernel is release 1.1.47 of Yggdrasil).

Thanks in advance