Subject: ftpaccess file questions

From: "Charles L. Hutson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 1995 18:30:18 -0500 (EST)

What is the difference in "message" and "readme" in the
ftpaccess files?

Also, is the guest user a way to define a user that has
only ftp capabilities and not actual login capabilities?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Charles L. Hutson

---

From: [email-masked] (Patrick Salsbury)
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 95 18:35:37 PST

-Date: Wed, 22 Mar 1995 18:30:18 -0500 (EST)
-Reply-To: [email-masked]
-Sender: [email-masked]
-From: "Charles L. Hutson" <[email-masked]>
-Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7BIT
-X-Mailer: ELM [version 2.3 PL0]
-X-Listprocessor-Version: 7.1 -- ListProcessor by CREN
-
-What is the difference in "message" and "readme" in the
-ftpaccess files?
(from The Ftpaccess Manpage):

     message <path> {<when> {<class> ...}}
          Define a file with <path> such that ftpd  will  display
          the contents of the file to the user login time or upon
          using the change working directory command.  The <when>
          parameter  may be "LOGIN" or "CWD=<dir>".  If <when> is
          "CWD=<dir>", <dir> specifies the new default  directory
          which will trigger the notification.

          The optional <class> specification allows  the  message
          to  be displayed only to members of a particular class.
          More than one class may be specified.

          There can be "magic cookies" in the readme  file  which
          cause  the  ftp  server  to  replace  the cookie with a
          specified text string:

                %T      local time  (form  Thu  Nov  15  17:12:42
          1990)
                %F      free space in partition of CWD (kbytes)
                        [not supported on all systems]
                %C       current  working  directory           %E
          the maintainer's email address as defined in ftpaccess
                %R      remote host name
                %L      local host name
                %U      username given at login time
                %M      maximum allowed number of users  in  this
          class
                %N      current number of users in this class

          The message will only be displayed once to avoid annoy-
          ing  the  user.   Remember that when MESSAGEs are trig-
          gered by an anonymous FTP  user,  the  <path>  must  be
          relative  to  the  base  of the anonymous FTP directory
          tree.

     readme <path> {<when> {<class>}}
          Define a file with <path> such that  ftpd  will  notify
          user  at  login  time  or upon using the change working
          directory command that the file exists and was modified
          on  such-and-such  date.   The  <when> parameter may be
          "LOGIN" or  "CWD=<dir>".   If  <when>  is  "CWD=<dir>",
          <dir>  specifies  the  new default directory which will
          trigger the notification.  The  message  will  only  be
          displayed  once,  to  avoid  bothering users.  Remember
          that when README messages are triggered by an anonymous
          FTP  user,  the  <path> must be relative to the base of
          the anonymous FTP directory tree.

          The optional <class> specification allows  the  message
          to  be displayed only to members of a particular class.
          More than one class may be specified.

-Also, is the guest user a way to define a user that has
-only ftp capabilities and not actual login capabilities?
-Charles L. Hutson
- 
	Actually, it's a way of giving special privs to certain classes of
users. You can keep them from logging in just by putting something like
/bin/false as their shell in the /etc/passwd file. (Make sure /bin/false is
also in /etc/shells!)

	I use guestgroups to allow in certain people to look at directories
that regular anon users can't see.

	Hope this helps!

Pat
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
	  Patrick Salsbury 	                IXI/Visionware           
	Sys Admin/Webmaster             4500 Bohannon Dr., Suite #280  
	Voice: 415/325-2113	             Menlo Park, CA 94025      
	 FAX: 415/325-8710	      X/UNIX/PC Integration Specialists
 Check out <A HREF="http://www.visionware.com/">The Visionware Homepage</A>

---

From: [email-masked] (Koos van den Hout _U nix and we all_)
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 95 12:00:01 WET

> What is the difference in "message" and "readme" in the

Readme's get shown like 

Please read the file README.blabla
 it was last modified on ...

When you define

readme README.*

With messages the contents of the message file gets shown.

> only ftp capabilities and not actual login capabilities?

Yes. If you define the login shell as /usr/bin/sorry or /bin/true or any
other file which is no real shell but stops directly, and ALLOW this shell
in /etc/shells

                                               Grtx. KH

-- 
| Koos van den Hout,     Unixer, Internetter                    and BBS SysOp |
| Home:[email-masked]      BBS Koos z'n Doos (+31-3402-36647 28k8 vfc) |
| Work:[email-masked] * finger [email-masked] for PGPkey * (+31-3402-56619 14k4) |
| URL: http://www.hvu.nl/users/koos  I'm looking for a lic.plate with RFC 822 |
|   GCS d- p(-) c++(+++) l+ u+++ e++ m+(-) s+/- !n h f+ g+ w(++) t+ r !y(*)   |