Subject: Re: Uploading Controls

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 1995 09:05:09 -0800 (PST)

>> do have one problem, though. When an anonymous user places a file in the 
>> /incoming directory, according to the upload control in the ftpaccess 
>> file, it should be changed to owner root and group other with permission 
>> of 0600. That isn't happening. I have the sticky bit set on the incoming 
>
>I'm having similar problems.  My upload controls don't seem to be working at
>all.  I've restricted uploads and mkdir's to my /incoming directory: 
>
>upload  /tempest/home/ftp       *       no
>upload  /tempest/home/ftp       /pub    no
>upload  /tempest/home/ftp       /incoming/*     yes     ftp root 0644 nodirs
                                          ^^
This may or may not be the answer, but remove the two marked characters above; what I 
think you specified are directories under the incoming directory, not the incoming directory 
itself.  This is working for me, and my ftpaccess looks the same but without the /* on the 
end of incoming.

Hope that does it - let me know.

>
>
>In fact, they can create subdirectories anywhere they choose, (e.g., /pub) if the
>permissions are set to 777, regardless of the directives in the ftpaccess
>file.  The /incoming and /pub directories are owned by root. 
>Thanks, 
>Brad
>
>-- 
>[email-masked]
>
---------------
Michael Brennen                    Intecom, Inc.
[email-masked]               5057 Keller Springs
(214) 447-8074                     Dallas,  TX  75248

---

From: Brad Plecs <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 1995 17:54:36 -0500 (EST)

Hi, gang.  I posted about this a little while ago, and was able to fix my
upload problem, but I'm still having a mkdir problem: 

...any anonymous user may create subdirectories under world-writable
directories.  I've explicitly disabled that (see the "nodirs" flag).  I've
even set it after the first two lines, in hopes it would make a difference,
but it doesn't.  Anonymous users may also create subdirectories under
ftp-owned directories (and owner-writable).  I want them to be able to
*upload*, but not *mkdir*.  

I have to leave some of the directories world-writable so that my local users can
create subdirectories.  I also want anonymous users to be able to upload.
But I don't want them creating their own subdirectories.  Has anyone
seen/diagnosed/fixed this problem?   Check it out, it may be affecting you. 

I'm running SunOS 4.1.3, and WU-FTPD v2.4.  I can supply my entire ftpaccess
file and the subdirectory tree, if anyone wants it. 

Any suggestions, pointers, or solutions appreciated.  =)  

Thanks, 
Brad

-- 
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Russell Street)
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 1995 11:32:06 +1200 (NZT)

> upload  /tempest/home/ftp       /incoming/*     yes     ftp root 0644 nodirs

I have

upload	/home/ftp	/incoming	yes root ftpadmin 0660 nodirs

And it works just fine.  I don't have any subdirectories in /incoming,
however.    You may have to name them explicitly :-(

Russell

---

From: Brad Plecs <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 1995 20:12:59 -0500 (EST)

> upload	/home/ftp	/incoming	yes root ftpadmin 0660 nodirs

Odd.  I now have: 

upload  /tempest/home/ftp       *       no nodirs
upload  /tempest/home/ftp       /pub    no nodirs
upload  /tempest/home/ftp       /incoming no nodirs
upload  /tempest/home/ftp       /incoming/*     yes     ftp root 0644 nodirs

...and it's working.  Sunspots, I guess. 

Thanks!
- Brad

-- 
[email-masked]