Subject: Need help with wu-ftpd-2.4 on DECstation 5000 running Ultrix

From: Dave Edsall - The Tauminator <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 1995 01:26:05 -0600

I'll try this again, as I didn't see my original come back.

   I wrote a week ago:

*************************************************    

    My problem is:

    I am building wuftpd release 2.4 on a DECstation 5000/200
running Ultrix 4.3 at CERN. I followed all of the instructions

    build ult
    cp /bin/compress ~ftp/bin
    cp /usr/local/bin/gtar ~ftp/bin
    cp /usr/local/bin/gzip ~ftp/bin

and have modified the files ftpaccess and ftpconversions so that
they look as follows

class   local   real,guest,anonymous *.cern.ch
class   remote  real,guest,anonymous *

limit   local   1   Any              /dsds1/wuftpd/msgs/msg.dead
limit   remote   1   Any              /dsds1/wuftpd/msgs/msg.dead

loginfails 3

readme  README*    login
readme  README*    cwd=*

banner                             /dsds1/wuftpd/msgs/login.delsoft
message /welcome.msg            login
message .message                cwd=*

compress        yes             local remote
tar             yes             local remote

log commands real,anonymous
log transfers anonymous,real inbound,outbound

shutdown /etc/shutmsg

email [email-masked]

passwd-check rfc822 warn

 :.Z:  :  :/bin/compress -d -c %s:T_REG|T_ASCII:O_UNCOMPRESS:UNCOMPRESS
 :.gz: :  :/bin/gzip -cd %s:T_REG|T_ASCII:O_UNCOMPRESS:GUNZIP
 :   : :.Z:/bin/compress -c %s:T_REG:O_COMPRESS:COMPRESS
 :   : :.gz:/bin/gzip -9 -c %s:T_REG:O_COMPRESS:GZIP
 :   : :.tar:/bin/tar -c -f - %s:T_REG|T_DIR:O_TAR:TAR
 :   : :.tar.Z:/bin/tar -c -Z -f - %s:T_REG|T_DIR:O_COMPRESS|O_TAR:TAR+COMPRESS
 :   : :.tar.gz:/bin/tar -c -z -f - %s:T_REG|T_DIR:O_COMPRESS|O_TAR:TAR+GZIP

    All of the configuration files and binaries are sitting in
directories in /dsds1/wuftpd/.....etc,bin,adm,daemon

     My problem is......

     The tarring and zipping/unzipping on the fly is not working

     I get no output from ls -l or  dir

     The local files created when I have .tar, .Z and .gz  ( i.e. any
conversions ) are always of zero length. So, the files are opened and so
is the socket it appears. Maybe a problem with ftpd_popen? Any other
ideas? Feel free to try anonymous ftp where I am having the problem at

****************************************

   Since then, the server was rebooted and suddenly the ftpd daemon
began to work. Before it registered -1 users logged in and now it
registers the correct count. Does anyone have any idea why the
reboot would cause it to work? My only guess is that some other
daemon, such as YP, needed to be restarted for some reason. I'd
really like any ideas you have so that I understand what has
happened for the future.

        Thanks,

           Dave

+----------------------*--------------------------*---------------------------+
|                      | David M. Edsall          | INTERNET: [email-masked]  |
|                      | DELPHI Collaboration     |   BITNET: edsall@cernvm   |
|        - . -         | PPE Division CERN        |   HEPNET: VXCERN::edsall  |
|                      | CH-1211 Geneve 23        |                           |
|   .             .    | Switzerland              |    Voice: 767-8347        |
|         LEP          *--------------------------*---------------------------*
|                      |  http://www.public.iastate.edu/~edsall/homepage.html |
| |e+             e-|  *--------------------------*---------------------------*
|        * . *                                    |      "Gravity is not      |
|      *       *                                  |   responsible for people  |
|   .     SPS     .            *.*                |       falling in love"    |
|      *       *              *CPS*       LIL     |                           |
|        * . *      .     .  . *.*  .  .  ...     |    - "Big Al" Einstein    |
+-------------------------------------------------*---------------------------+

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 1995 11:01:56 -0800 (PST)

Are you running a standalone server or is it started from inetd?  If you are running 
standalone and change the config files, send a HUP signal to ftpd to get it to reread its 
config files.  If you are running under inetd, I don't know...

Michael