Subject: Re: ftp connections hanging around

From: [email-masked] (Russell Street)
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 1995 20:40:42 +1300 (NDT)

Hello...

> tcp        0    135  bajor.ftp-data         pc2705.dpsc.dla..28394 CLOSING

Usually caused by the remote machine not being there to acknowledge
the final teardown of the connection.  Odd that most of them were from
the same machine, but there are some very bugging PCbased TCP/IP
implementations out there :-(

> A "ps auxww | grep ftp" shows no active connections.  The above have been
> hanging around for quite a while.  Other than rebooting, how does one get
> rid of these connections?

I don't think those connections are actually doing very much, but they
are probably generating a little network traffic as your end
desperately tries to close down the connection.

The solution could depend on your OS... I think for SunOS there is a
little program that tweaks the right thing in kernel memory to move
the connection onto the next stage and lets the close complete. 

Try asking on your OS's newsgroup as it is not a problem specific to
the FTPD, AFAIK.

Hope this is of some help
Russell

---

From: Vidiot <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 1995 14:53:49 -0600 (CST)

I took a look at netstat -a to see what was running as far as ftp connections
are concerned.  I got the following connections which seem to be a problem:

tcp        0    135  bajor.ftp-data         pc2705.dpsc.dla..28394 CLOSING
tcp        0    136  bajor.ftp-data         pc2705.dpsc.dla..28385 CLOSING
tcp        0    194  bajor.ftp-data         pc2705.dpsc.dla..28381 CLOSING
tcp        0    194  bajor.ftp-data         pc2705.dpsc.dla..28380 CLOSING
tcp        0    194  bajor.ftp-data         pc2705.dpsc.dla..18425 CLOSING
tcp        0    136  bajor.ftp-data         pc2705.dpsc.dla..19772 CLOSING
tcp        0    136  bajor.ftp-data         pc2705.dpsc.dla..19771 CLOSING
tcp        0    400  bajor.ftp-data         pc2705.dpsc.dla..17291 CLOSING
tcp        0     13  bajor.ftp-data         130.88.151.88.40321    CLOSING

Thanks for any pointers.

MB
-- 
System Administrator - Extrel FTMS - Madison WI.
e-mail: [email-masked]
phone: (608) 273-8262  fax: (608) 273-8719  voice-mail: (800) 426-6488 ext 6293
Visit - http://www.ftms.com/vidiot/  (Your link to the world of Star Trek)