Subject: password authentication

From: Navid Atoofi <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 1995 09:44:59 -0500

Hello everybody:

It is mentioned in the ftpaccess manual that. I should be able to do the 
following.
---------------------
The user's home directory must be properly set up, exactly as anonymous FTP
would be. The home directory field of the passwd entry is divided into two 
directories. The first field is the root directory which will be the argument
to the chroot() call. The second half is the user's home directory relative to
the root directory. The two halves are separated by a "/./".

Example:

in /etc/passwd, the real entry:

guest1:<passwd>:100:92:Guest Account:/ftp/./incoming:/etc/ftponly

When guest1 successfully logs in, the ftp server will chroot("/ftp") and then
 chdir("/incoming"). The guest user will only be able to access the directory 
structure under /ftp (which will look and act as / to guest1), just as an 
anonymous FTP user would.
----------------------------
I tried it, but I could not get it to work. When I am accessing the system 
through FTP by using guest1, I do get to the right directory. BUT, If I do
" cd /" I will end up on the system root directory, not /ftp.
also there where couple of thing that I did not understand 

Is "/etc/ftponly " the same thing as "/bin/true" or "/bin/XXsh" or something
else?

> The user's home directory must be properly set up, exactly as anonymous FTP
> would be.

I didn't get it "anonymous is not a user, or at least do not have an entry in
the passwd file.

> in /etc/passwd, the real entry:
is this real /etc/passwd or /ftp/etc/passwd

OS is sunos4.XX , Use automount and NIS, too.

Thank you
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Navid Atoofi               | The jungle is deep and dangerous. 
System Network Engineer    | You are entering the realm of 
[email-masked]            | black magic and deep wizardry, of 
---------------------------| voodoo programming and subtle obfuscation.
vollyball, ebola, ASIC, god| Monsters realm behind every tree, 
Startrek,MICE, Cooking,NSF | ready to pounce. Making it alone, well .... 
DOOM,guru,chaos, solaris   |            --Linux
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked] (Judith Pellerin)
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 1995 10:24:37 -0500

On Mar 9,  9:44am, Navid Atoofi wrote:
> Subject: password authentication
> Hello everybody:
>
>-- End of excerpt from Navid Atoofi

Hi Navid,

You must also have guest1 listed as a guestgroup entry in the ftpaccess file:

# specify which group of users will be treated as "guests".
guestgroup guest1

that should fix it.

judy

---

From: [email-masked] (Patrick Salsbury)
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 1995 11:25:13 -0800 (PST)

-Is "/etc/ftponly " the same thing as "/bin/true" or "/bin/XXsh" or something
-else?
	Yes. It needs to be a shell in /etc/shells. I've added /bin/false to
my /etc/shells, and use that as the shell for the ftp account. That way,
people can ftp in, but cannot log in via telnet. 
	(This should probably go into the FAQ...)

Pat
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
	  Patrick Salsbury 	                IXI/Visionware           
	Sys Admin/Webmaster             4500 Bohannon Dr., Suite #280  
	Voice: 415/325-2113	             Menlo Park, CA 94025      
	 FAX: 415/325-8710	      X/UNIX/PC Integration Specialists