Subject: Troubles with NIS on IRIX5

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 1995 10:02:58 +0000 (GMT)

Hi

I have recently obtained a copy of Guy Brand's revised version of
wu-ftpd-2.4 for IRIX5. Having built and tested the software, I notice
that it does not handle NIS passwd entries, i.e. those starting with
a + in /etc/passwd. I know that previously (as at Irix4) we had to
include the -lsun library on the compile line to force the "getpw"
routines to use the NIS passwd entry. However, I was under the
impression that was no longer necessary at IRIX5, in that the NIS
entry was returned by the libc library. I have tried adding the -lsun
library, as well, but to no avail.

Any ideas would be gratefully appreciated.

Bill Edmunds, IT Services, University of Exeter
(Email: [email-masked])

---

From: [email-masked] (Mischa Reinhardt)
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 1995 13:20:44 +0100 (MEZ)

>that it does not handle NIS passwd entries, i.e. those starting with

Hi,

G. Brand has copied this versions from me. I use it under IRIX 5.2
and NIS without any problems. Can you explain your NIS-Structure to me ?

Bye Mischa

-- 
+=====================================================================+
|   Mischa Reinhardt                     Institut f. Biologie II      |
|   tel.  0049-761/203/2831              AG Fukshansky                |
|          <[email-masked]>             |
|          <http://www.biologie.uni-freiburg.de/mischa.html>          |
+---------------------------------------------------------------------+

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 1995 09:00:43 +0000 (GMT)

> and NIS without any problems. Can you explain your NIS-Structure to me ?

Mischa

First of all, let me apologise for crediting Guy for your efforts. I guess
Guy simply posted the software on the ftp server.

I have just managed to solve the problem, after seeing other messages & the
FAQ from the list about /etc/shells. It is not, in fact, a NIS problem, but
simply the problem that /bin/tcsh was not in /etc/shells. I made the
mistake of assuming that it was a NIS problem, as all full entries in
the passwd file have csh as their shell, whereas all + entries have tcsh
as their shell (there is a reason why this is the case).

Thanks, anyway, for your reply.
Bill