Subject: Problems with 2.4 on Solaris 2.3

From: Tommy Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 1995 22:16:44 -0600 (CST)

I can't quite get 2.4 to work on a Sparc10 with Solaris 2.3. All my 
config files are in the right place (according to ckconfig) and I have 
the default all class defined as it came in the doc/examples/ftpaccess 
file. However, when I connect, I get the message: Service class all: and 
then the ftp> prompt, at which time I discover I'm not connected. Here's 
how I'm calling it in inetd.conf:

ftp     stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/local/bin/ftpd     ftpd

If I call it like this:

ftp     stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/local/bin/ftpd     ftpd -a

I get the following message:

Connected to vumclib.mc.vanderbilt.edu.
Version wu-2.4(1) Mon Mar 6 09:26:20 CST 1995
ftp>

I'm disconnected from the server at this point. Commands like "user" 
produce the response that I'm not connected.

Does any of this seem familar? I didn't get any errors during the install 
process (except the install program didn't work -- I had to copy all the 
files into place by hand. I followed the script of the build install. 
Might my problem be here?).

Thank you for your assistance. I have read the FAQ. I also have the 
O'Reilly book _Managing Internet Information Services_.

-- Tommy Williams 
mailto:[email-masked]
  Go, go, go, said the bird: human kind /  Cannot bear very much reality.
    T.S. Eliot, _Four Quartets_