Subject: Re: xferstats

From: Jonathan Zamick <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 95 10:33:53 PST

At 2:43 AM 3/24/95, TSgt Todd C. Knauer wrote:
>On Thu, 23 Mar 1995, Jonathan Zamick wrote:
>
>> Should xferstats run right off the bat?
>>
>> 1. I notice it isn't starting as executable.
>>
>> 2. It seems to have a problem finding getopts, which is logical since
>>    it doesn't seem to be a base sun installation, nor can I find all
>>    the different sunopts pieces in archie that it wants.
>
>  "xferstats" on my system is a "perl" script, if the first line in your
>xferstats file reads "#!/usr/local/bin/perl" (or something similar) then
>yours is to, if you don't have perl you should be able to find it out
>there on archie somewhere.  Once you install that and edit the first line
>of "xferstats" to reflect the proper path to perl yours should work...
>
>                                                Todd

I can indeed perl the file, however when I do I get the following error:

Can't locate getopts.pl in @INC at xferstats line 37.

whereis getopts actually just gives me a man page, but no executable, so
when I get to that, it would fail anyway.

What's odd is this is a clean 4.1.3_U1 installation. So I wonder why it has
getopts manpages, when it doesn't have getopts.

Anyway, I'll be scanning the nets for complete getopts.* files.

If anyone has any suggestions or ideas, please give me a mail.

Jonathan

------------------------------------------------------------------------
..Jonathan Zamick                    Consensus Development Corporation..
..<[email-masked]>                      4104-24th Street #419..
..                                        San Francisco, CA 94114-3615..
..                                        o415/647-6383  f415/647-6384..
..Mosaic/WWW Home Page:                                               ..
..  <A HREF="http://www.consensus.com:8300/">Consensus Home Page</A>  ..

---

From: [email-masked] (Logan Ratner)
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 1995 12:46:14 -0600

>whereas getopts actually just gives me a man page, but no executable, so

>getopts man pages, when it doesn't have getopts.

Getopts.pl is *not* the same as "getopts" from section one of the man page.
getopts.pl comes with perl, and has nothing to do with SunOS (thus a clean
install of 4.1.3 is immaterial).

If your perl cannot find getopts.pl, then it was installed incorrectly.
It is a small code sequence and I could send you a copy, but you should
really check into why your perl can find the perl lib that is part of the
installation.

-- 
Logan Ratner | [email-masked] | It is not funny that a man should die, but 
CRPC/CITI    |     tinker      | it is funny that he should be killed for so
Rice Univ.   |     tailor      | little, and the coin of his death should be
Houston TX   |    cybernaut    | what we call civilization - R. Chandler

---

From: "TSgt Todd C. Knauer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 1995 14:15:06 -0600 (CST)

> when I get to that, it would fail anyway.

  "getopts" is not a command, it is a perl script as well that should be 
in the default perl library.  My "getopts.pl" is in /usr/local/lib/perl 
which is the directory that was created when I installed perl.  It also 
put all the necessary perl subroutines there.  Maybe you should check to 
see if perl is installed correctly on your machine and if not download it 
and reinstall it.....

> Anyway, I'll be scanning the nets for complete getopts.* files.

  Search for perl rather than getopts.  Like I said, it comes with perl.

						Todd

---------------------------------------------------
              United States Air Force
    Environmental Technical Applications Center
---------------------------------------------------
Todd Knauer        -  [email-masked]
Network Management -  Network Administrator
Scott AFB, Il.     -  System/Application Programmer
---------------------------------------------------