Subject: Allowing Onlu ftp on an interface...

From: [email-masked] (Tom Lojewski)
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 1995 09:05:07 -0800 (PST)

Hi wu-ftpd users,

I am running wu-ftpd on a bastion dual homed host (SOLaris 2.4 IPC).
Is there a way to specify services like ftp, telnet, smtp, dns etc.
on a per (ethernet) port basis?  

In other words, on the external ethernet port I'd like to allow
certain types of connections (ftp, smtp etc.)  but (for example) NEVER
telnet.  Is there a way to configure a host to accept a service like
telnet ONLY if the connection comes from the internal ethernet port?

I'll be configuring packet filtering on the routers surrounding the
ftp server so this type packet should never reach the host in the
first place.  But for added security I'd like the HOST to reject
these packets as well.

Is there a package I could install that would do this for me?  Thanks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tom Lojewski  -  ACUSON Corp  -  Mountain View, CA - ([email-masked])

---

From: [email-masked] (Anthony D. Thomas)
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 1995 13:09:37 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

I think that there are a number of ways to do what you are considering.
You could probably do it with TCP-WRAPPER, TIS toolkit, or many other
tools.  If you don't mind filtering at your internet router you could
block all access to everything but port 20 & 21 for FTP, and allow
connections to the range greater than 1024 if and only if the established bit
is set.  

I think that TCP-WRAPPER might be the best choice.

If you want more input perhaps you should subscribe to 
[email-masked] which is a firewalls mailing list.
It might be helpful for you.

> Is there a package I could install that would do this for me?  Thanks.

---------------------------------------------------------------
   Anthony Thomas               E-mail : [email-masked]
   TASC, Inc.                    phone : (617) 942-2000 x2843
   55 Walkers Brook Drive          fax : (617) 942-0722
   Reading, MA 01867           alt.fax : (617) 942-7100
         url : http://myweb.read.tasc.com/^adthomas
                   :public pgp keys:
       TASC     - finger [email-masked]
       Internet - mail with a body containing send pgp
---------------------------------------------------------------