Subject: Need help with wu-ftpd-2.4 on DECstation 5000 running Ultrix

From: Dave Edsall - The Tauminator <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 1995 02:23:04 -0600 (CST)

My problem is:

    I am building wuftpd release 2.4 on a DECstation 5000/200
running Ultrix 4.3 at CERN. I followed all of the instructions

    build ult
    cp /bin/compress ~ftp/bin
    cp /usr/local/bin/gtar ~ftp/bin
    cp /usr/local/bin/gzip ~ftp/bin

and have modified the files ftpaccess and ftpconversions so that
they look as follows

class   local   real,guest,anonymous *.cern.ch
class   remote  real,guest,anonymous *

limit   local   1   Any              /dsds1/wuftpd/msgs/msg.dead
limit   remote   1   Any              /dsds1/wuftpd/msgs/msg.dead

loginfails 3

readme  README*    login
readme  README*    cwd=*

banner                             /dsds1/wuftpd/msgs/login.delsoft
message /welcome.msg            login
message .message                cwd=*

compress        yes             local remote
tar             yes             local remote

log commands real,anonymous
log transfers anonymous,real inbound,outbound

shutdown /etc/shutmsg

email [email-masked]

passwd-check rfc822 warn

 :.Z:  :  :/bin/compress -d -c %s:T_REG|T_ASCII:O_UNCOMPRESS:UNCOMPRESS
 :.gz: :  :/bin/gzip -cd %s:T_REG|T_ASCII:O_UNCOMPRESS:GUNZIP
 :   : :.Z:/bin/compress -c %s:T_REG:O_COMPRESS:COMPRESS
 :   : :.gz:/bin/gzip -9 -c %s:T_REG:O_COMPRESS:GZIP
 :   : :.tar:/bin/tar -c -f - %s:T_REG|T_DIR:O_TAR:TAR
 :   : :.tar.Z:/bin/tar -c -Z -f - %s:T_REG|T_DIR:O_COMPRESS|O_TAR:TAR+COMPRESS
 :   : :.tar.gz:/bin/tar -c -z -f - %s:T_REG|T_DIR:O_COMPRESS|O_TAR:TAR+GZIP

    All of the configuration files and binaries are sitting in
directories in /dsds1/wuftpd/.....etc,bin,adm,daemon

     My problem is......

     The tarring and zipping/unzipping on the fly is not working

     I get no output from ls -l or  dir

     The local files created when I have .tar, .Z and .gz  ( i.e. any
conversions ) are always of zero length. So, the files are opened and so
is the socket it appears. Maybe a problem with ftpd_popen? Any other
ideas? Feel free to try anonymous ftp where I am having the problem at

       delsoft.cern.ch

       Thanks,

             Dave

P.S.  Once this is working, the software will be allowing our
experiment to mirror our offline data analysis packages at our
member institutes much more easily than we did before 

+----------------------*--------------------------*---------------------------+
|                      | David M. Edsall          | INTERNET: [email-masked]  |
|                      | DELPHI Collaboration     |   BITNET: edsall@cernvm   |
|        - . -         | PPE Division CERN        |   HEPNET: VXCERN::edsall  |
|                      | CH-1211 Geneve 23        |                           |
|   .             .    | Switzerland              |    Voice: 767-8347        |
|         LEP          *--------------------------*---------------------------*
|                      |  http://www.public.iastate.edu/~edsall/homepage.html |
| |e+             e-|  *--------------------------*---------------------------*
|        * . *                                    |      "Gravity is not      |
|      *       *                                  |   responsible for people  |
|   .     SPS     .            *.*                |       falling in love"    |
|      *       *              *CPS*       LIL     |                           |
|        * . *      .     .  . *.*  .  .  ...     |    - "Big Al" Einstein    |
+-------------------------------------------------*---------------------------+

---

From: [email-masked] (Koos van den Hout _U nix and we all_)
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 1995 10:40:39 +0000 (WET)

>      I get no output from ls -l or  dir

Seems like the binaries are missing some libraries and/or special devices.
I haven't got any experience with ultrix 4.3 but that's what causes the same
problems with other operating systems.

Maybe a static linked and stripped binary of those works better in the ftp
area.

(small thought from a ftpadmin who wonders why his shared libraries have
been ftp-ed for a couple of times already).

                                               Grtx. KH

-- 
| Koos van den Hout,     Unixer, Internetter                    and BBS SysOp |
| Home:[email-masked]      BBS Koos z'n Doos (+31-3402-36647 28k8 vfc) |
| Work:[email-masked] * finger [email-masked] for PGPkey * (+31-3402-56619 14k4) |
| URL: http://www.hvu.nl/users/koos  I'm looking for a lic.plate with RFC 822 |
|   GCS d- p(-) c++(+++) l+ u+++ e++ m+(-) s+/- !n h f+ g+ w(++) t+ r !y(*)   |

---

From: "Alexander L. Haiut" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 1995 01:00:42 -0200 (GMT-0200)

Oops.. Check also existance of the GZIP and TAR (GNU tar) executables!
  If they exist, check path and permissions..

  In case everything here is alright, use my previouse advice.. :))

			--alex.

  Alexander L. Haiut
  Dept. of Computer Science		 	
  Ben-Gurion University, Israel
 _______________________________________
  www    : http://www.cs.bgu.ac.il/~alx
  e-mail : [email-masked]
  voice  : +972-7-461658