Subject: Uploading Controls

From: Tommy Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 1995 15:38:51 -0600 (CST)

I have most pieces of my wu-ftpd-2.4 working properly, including 
anonymous access, guest users in guest groups, dir and ls -l commands. I 
do have one problem, though. When an anonymous user places a file in the 
/incoming directory, according to the upload control in the ftpaccess 
file, it should be changed to owner root and group other with permission 
of 0600. That isn't happening. I have the sticky bit set on the incoming 
directory as well, so no one can see the files. However, the upload 
access setting should prevent anyone from specifying a file by name and 
downloading it after it is in the incoming directory. That isn't 
happening. Here's the relevant line from my ftpaccess file:

upload /users/ftp  /incoming  yes  root  other  0600 nodirs

here's what an ls -l looks like in ~ftp/incoming:

total 24
-rw-rw-r--   1 ftp      ftp        11951 Mar  9 15:01 zeus.jpg

As you can see, it still belongs to the ftp user.

Anyone got any suggestions out there? I also have some additional 
suggestions for the /dev and /usr/lib directories under Solaris 2.3. I 
had to do a little bit more than specified in the O'Reilly book or in the 
wu-ftpd INSTALL pages (luckily, I found the stuff in the online man pages 
for ftpd). If anyone would like to see how I've got my /dev and /usr/lib 
directories set up, let me know, and I will post.

--
Tommy Williams
mailto:[email-masked]
  Go, go, go, said the bird: human kind /  Cannot bear very much reality.
    T.S. Eliot, _Four Quartets_

---

From: Brad Plecs <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 1995 17:31:55 -0500 (EST)

> of 0600. That isn't happening. I have the sticky bit set on the incoming 

I'm having similar problems.  My upload controls don't seem to be working at
all.  I've restricted uploads and mkdir's to my /incoming directory: 

upload  /tempest/home/ftp       *       no
upload  /tempest/home/ftp       /pub    no
upload  /tempest/home/ftp       /incoming/*     yes     ftp root 0644 nodirs

...and yet users can create subdirectories in /incoming.  

In fact, they can create subdirectories anywhere they choose, (e.g., /pub) if the
permissions are set to 777, regardless of the directives in the ftpaccess
file.  The /incoming and /pub directories are owned by root. 

I seem to remember having a similar problem a year or so ago, and the answer
was, "Oh, the 'upload' commands don't work yet...they're documented as
working, but they don't work yet."  I think that was a version or two back,
though.  

Anyone have any ideas?  

I'm running SunOS 4.1.3 on a Sparc 2.  wu-ftpd v2.4.  

Thanks, 
Brad

-- 
[email-masked]