Subject: bin/ls not properly working -Reply

From: Kevin Brott <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 1995 08:42:51 -0800

>When connecting from my internal lan using anonymous the ls command works fine,
>but connecting from outside using anonymous I'm able to login but when
>I do a ls I receive the following:

[output SNIP'd]

>I've moved the runtime loader and the shared version of the standard C library
>into the ~ftp/usr/lib directory and the ls into the ~ftp/bin directory.

You don't mention which OS you're running under, but this is almost exactly the
problem I had under DEC OSF/1 v2.00b - ls would work in the brief mode, but the
DIR and LS -L wouldn't.

Reading section #4, item #2, of the INSTALL file finally gave me the only working
solution.  Get the BINUTILS distribution from a GNU mirror, and compile them as
STATIC execuatbles (the INSTALL explains how, but if you have trouble, feel free
to ask).  Put these in your ~ftp/bin directory, et voila!  Everything will work
swimmingly. :)

=- Blessed Be -=
_____________________________________________________________________
:Kevin P. Brott           :Systems Operations/Support Specialist    :
:[email-masked]:CIMS, Clackamas Community College        :
:_________________________:19600 S Molalla Ave, Oregon City, OR     :
:Finger [email-masked] for PGP key.         97045 :
:    -=[Standard opinion disclaimer included at no extra cost]=-    :
:WWW URL: http://netmgr.clackamas.cc.or.us/html/kevinb/web_home.htm :