Subject: Re: Keeping ftp out of last

From: [email-masked] (Corey Liss)
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 1995 17:00:34 -0600

>From: [email-masked](Koos van den Hout _U nix and we all_)
>
>In a previous message, you wrote :
>
>> I realize this might be an ignorant question, but is there a way to keep
>> ftp's from cluttering up `last`?
>
>Have a look at the code in src/logwtmp.c . This is the code that puts ftp
>in last.
>
>You could also edit pathnames.h to #undef _PATH_WTMP and then #define it
>to something like /var/adm/ftpd/ftp-wtmp.
>
>That way a 'last' would give last logins and a 'last -f /var/adm/ftpd/ftp-wtmp'
>would give last ftp logins.

Oddly enough, I've been having the exact opposite problem -- I *want* ftp
entries to show up in the lastlog, and they're not.  I set _PATH_WTMP &tc.
to point to the appropriate files in /var/adm before compiling, but no
go...  This is under Solaris 2.4; I know that under 2.3, ftp entries in
wtmp were often flakey, because of a bug in the way Solaris handled utmp;
has the utmpd fix in 2.4 broken ftp entries altogether?  Or is there
something incredibly obvious that I'm missing?...

Thanks for any info anyone can give...

-Corey

--
Corey Liss                      University of Chicago Campus Computer Store
[email-masked]                 Technical Support
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ NEW ADDRESS -- Please note!

---

From: Web Builder <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 1995 10:18:24 -0500 (EST)

Besides the patch, something more simpler that you can look at is in 
the src/pathnames.h file.  _PATH_WTMP & others are already defined in 
the system.  Yank out the tests (ifndef) and ftpd will redefine them 
for itself, thus forcing it to your wtmp & other files.  Also make 
sure that those files exist.  They're not created if they don't exist. 
Just touch them.

miguel.

=================================================================
	             "All for the company..."
-----------------------------------------------------------------
 o   \ o /  _ o         __|    \ /     |__        o _  \ o /   o 
/|\    |     /\   ___\o   \o    |    o/    o/__   /\     |    /|\
/ \   / \   | \  /)  |    ( \  /o\  / )    |  (\  / |   / \   / \
=================================================================