Subject: wu-ftpd & Macintosh netscape...

From: [email-masked] (Hans Bruman)
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 95 16:02:29 0100

Hello my name is Hans Bruman (as if you havent noticed :) and I'm a
systemadministrator at the Mid Sweden University.
I recently compiled your wu-ftpd-2.4 on a Sun Classic running Solaris 2.4, but
now I have run into some problems.
 When users with Macintosh computers try to connect to my host (with netscape)
it says "can not find file"
and just stops there... they can however connect to "ftp.sunet.se" (which is a
wu-ftpd2.4 running on a DEC OSF/!)
with no problem at all...so, I wonder if you please could help me. The anonftp
I just set up is "osmon.studo.mh.se"
if you wan't to try it yourself.

thanks in advance Hans Bruman

--

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
         Sent from Mid Sweden University, S-83125 Ostersund, Sweden.
               Phone +46 (0)63-165300  Fax.+46 (0)63-165454
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

---

From: Kris Allan Kahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 1995 10:46:42 -0800 (PST)

##/* In regards to the letter from Hans Bruman: */##
## 
## Hello my name is Hans Bruman (as if you havent noticed :) and I'm a
## systemadministrator at the Mid Sweden University.
## I recently compiled your wu-ftpd-2.4 on a Sun Classic running Solaris 2.4,
## but now I have run into some problems.
## When users with Macintosh computers try to connect to my host (with netscape)
## it says "can not find file"
## and just stops there... they can however connect to "ftp.sunet.se" (which is
## a wu-ftpd2.4 running on a DEC OSF/!)
## with no problem at all..so, I wonder if you please could help me. The anonftp
## I just set up is "osmon.studo.mh.se"
## if you wan't to try it yourself.
## 

I've also seen this problem with Sol2.3 servers.  It appears to specifically
the combination you have mentioned:
	wu-ftp,
	Solaris 2.X,
	Netscape running on a Mac trying to use ftp.

I was hoping that the OS upgrade from 2.3 to 2.4 would resolve the problem,
but nyet!

Even doing process tracing, I have not found the problem or a solution.

If anyone has an answer (besides not using the above combination), please post!

-- 
  _____  _  _______ ____________  WHO: Kris Allan Kahn - [email-masked]  _____
 /__  / /.\ | . \ |_| / __ \ __ \ WHAT: Network Engineer - 415.472.1600  \  __\
   / /_/ _ \| __/  _  \ \/ / |/ / WHERE: North Bay Network - !SLIP/PPP! __\ \
  /_____/ \___| |_| |_|\__/|___/  WHYNOT: Every exit is also an entrance\____\
  Hackers, good.  Crackers, bad.  ADDRESS: 4000 Civic Center Dr, 4th fl.
             Got it?                       San Rafael, CA 94903