Subject: RE: Help with DIR

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 95 15:03:56 PST

You probably have a problem with permissions, missing libraries and/or devices in your ftp 
tree.  DIR tries to run /bin/ls in the ftp tree, and ls usually needs some support files.  
Go over the docs for your OS (if it comes with ftpd and has man pages) and the docs that 
come with ftpd.  This type of problem seems to come up fairly frequently, and close reading 
of the docs usually clears it up.

Hope that does it,

---------------
Michael Brennen                    Intecom, Inc.
[email-masked]               5057 Keller Springs
(214) 447-8074                     Dallas,  TX  75248

>Hello All,
>I need some help...  I have installed wu-ftpd v2.4(1) at my site.  
>Everything seems OK, but after I make a connection I get no listing
>when I do a DIR.  Can anybody point me in the right direction or
>tell me what I am doing wrong???  Thanks in advance.
>Paul
>
>  Paul W. Pelland                             Internet: [email-masked]       
>  Applied Micro Circuits Corp.                UUCP: ...!ucsd!amcc!paulp  
>  6195 Lusk Blvd.                                                            
>  San Diego, CA 92121                        Voice: (619) 535-4228 
>

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 1995 09:41:23 -0600

>  San Diego, CA 92121                        Voice: (619) 535-4228 
A problem near and dear to my heart, since I just went thru this 2 days ago.
I could actually DIR everything EXCEPT the pub directory.  

When I would do an upload, the default permissions created for the file from 
ftpaccess were different than my group/passwd pair for the ftp account. I
actually 
was creating a file with an unknown group (I had erroneously reversed the
userid/groupid pair in /etc/passwd.)  Just having one file with an unknown
group in 
the ~ftp/pub directory left me unable to DIR the pub directory, although I
could DIR 
the ~ftp/etc directory.

Check your /etc/passwd and /etc/group, your ~ftp/etc/passwd and
~ftp/etc/group, your
ftpaccess file, and your permissions on everybody in your ~ftp tree.  Make
sure that
your idents for the ftp user are consistent throughout.

That's what it was here.....
Robert Ambrogi
Network Provacateur
[email-masked]