Subject: Answer to Solaris 2.4 problems

From: [email-masked] (Rory Bolt)
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 1995 10:17:57 -0800

Hello,
I have created a patch for wu-ftpd that addresses the problems related to
Netscape clients accessing wu-ftpd servers on Solaris 2.4 systems.

The problem was in the PASV code which is used for server to server
connections and was related to security issues with the bind and accept
system calls under Solaris. Most clients do not issue this command and
therefore work; notable exceptions include Netscape (for all platforms, not
just Macintosh as previously stated by another poster).

Notes:
1) This has only been tested on Solaris 2.4 for Intel platforms; although I know
of no reasons why it would not work for SPARC systems or Solaris 2.3

2) I make no claims or warranties regarding the functionality or security
issues related to this patch. Hopefully my modifications will be reviewed
by the maintainers of the source code and folded into the normal
distribution. These changes should not affect other systems.

Where to get the patch:
On my Solaris 2.4 wu-ftpd site, of course! This patch consists of a single
source file, ftpd.c. You may wish to save a copy of your old version and
run a diff to see what I changed.

ftp.stac.com /pub/Eng/unix/ftpd.patch/ftpd.c
76381 bytes.

Since our domain name server is having hardware problems today, our IP is
204.31.120.34

Best regards,

        Rory Bolt