Subject: FAQ

From: "Alexander L. Haiut" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 1995 00:46:54 -0200 (GMT-0200)

Hi!

  Ok, here's a little corrected version of FAQ.. I added to the FAQ three
  new questions and corrected answers to the old ones. I tried to put URLs
  of all scripts and documents referenced in the FAQ-list, and also put
  them to our departamental anonymous ftp-site which I maintain:

		ftp://ftp.cs.bgu.ac.il/pub/wu-ftpd/

  Seems like I'm leaving the list, so if anybody else wants to maintain the
  FAQ, please do it ! Otherwise the it will stay in its current condition for
  a while.. :)  Feel free to correct the answers and re-post the FAQ.

		Hope, it helps. 	Thanks!		--alex.

 --- GO! ------------------------------------------------------------------

			   Wu-archive FTPD

			Frequently Asked Questions

        Release 1.0                                 March 7, 1995

 --- Disclaimer -----------------------------------------------------------

	The information within this paper may  be  changed  without  notice.
	The information within this paper provided  under _AS IS_ condition.
	There are NO WARRANTIES with regard to this information. In no event
	shall the author/s be liable for any damages  whatsoever arising out
	of or in connection with the use or spread of this info.

 --- Questions -------------------------------------------------------------

	1.  What is wu-ftpd itself and this mailing list in particular ?
        2.  How do I subscribe/unsubscribe ? (MOST POPULAR QUESTION :)
	3.  Where do I get the wu-ftpd ?
	4.  Is this list archived anywhere ?
        5.  Is there any books/docs about this daemon and anonymous ftp
            service at all ?
	6.  Why cc complains about strunames, typenames, modenames, ...
            being undeclared ?
        7.  Why ftpd says "221 Server shutting down.  Goodbye."
        8.  Why file format conversion doesn't work for me ?
        9.  Anonymous ftp works fine, but real users denied access -- WHY ?!
        10.  Why ls, dir don't work for me ? What causes error message:
            "425 Can't build data connection: Connection refused."
        11. ftpd hangs.. Why ? Is there a fix/patch for this problem ?
        12. How do I make reports (xferlog) more readable ?
            Is it possible to generate perodical reports ?
        13. Anything else ?

 --- Answers ---------------------------------------------------------------

 1.  Q:	What is wu-ftpd itself and this mailing list in particular ?
     A: Wuarchive-ftpd, more affectionately known as wu-ftpd, is a
        replacement ftp daemon for Un*x systems developed at Washington
        University (*.wustl.edu) by Bryan D. O'Connor. wu-ftpd is the
	most popular ftp daemon on the Internet, used on many anonymous
        ftp sites all around the world.

	This mailing list is for discussing problems with maintaining this
	daemon and ftp-sites where it is used.

 2.  Q: How do I subscribe/unsubscribe ?
     A: Heh.. Most popular question on this list. When you subscribed to the
        list, you recieved a welcome message from [email-masked]:

   ... welcome message .....................................................
   .
   . You may leave the list at any time by sending a mail message with a body
   . of "UNSUBSCRIBE WU-FTPD" to the list server ([email-masked]).
   .						  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
   ... end .................................................................

        For more info about mailing list server and its commands, please send
        mail message with a body of "HELP" to [email-masked].

 3.  Q:	Where do I get the wu-ftpd ? What is the last version of the daemon?
     A: The wu-ftpd home is wuarchive.wustl.edu, the exact URL is:

		ftp://wuarchive.wustl.edu/pub/unix/wuarchive-ftpd/

	This daemon is available in source code and binaries from many
	other ftp-sites, ask _archie_ where to look for.

	Current release is 2.4.
	
 4.  Q: Is this list archived anywhere ?
     A: YES. Searchable archive of this mailing list is available at URL

	        http://freeway.oact.hq.nasa.gov/wuarchive.html

        The page at URL http://freeway.oact.hq.nasa.gov/wuftp.html
        contains basic questions and answers about wu-ftpd.

	This archive created and maintained by Judy Pellerin,
	[email-masked]. Thanks, Judy -- nice work!

 5.  Q: Is there any books/docs about this daemon and anonymous ftp
        service at all ?
     A: YES, the book published by O'Reilly & Associates:

                Managing Internet Information Services
        By Cricket Liu, Jerry Peek, Russ Jones, Bryan Buus & Adrian Nye
                600 pages (est.) ISBN 1-56592-062-7, $29.95

        The book covers all the main informational services you may want
        to install on your site: anonymous ftp, WWW, Gopher, WAIS, etc..

        To purchase this and many other O'Reilly books on the net, take a
        look at URL http://www.ora.com/gnn/ .

        Correct setup of anonymous ftp service is fully described in
        Anonymous FTP FAQ lists. The one I use is compiled by C. Klaus
        <[email-masked]>, and available at URLs : http://iss.net/~iss ,
        ftp://iss.net/pub/faq/.

        Another source of info about proper anonymous FTP setup is available
        at URL : ftp://ftp.cert.org/pub/tech_tips/anonymous_ftp.
        This one maintained by CERT (Computer Emergency Response Team).

      *** There is a shell script which sets the anonymous-ftp area for you.
        Sure, it's not an AUTOMATIC SETUP OF YOUR SITE, it just makes life
        easier.. Sorry, I don't know who originally wrote it.

        Here it is (you'll need to uudecode and gunzip it).

  .... cut here ..........................................................

        begin 666 install.sh.gz
        M'XL(""R$6R\" VEN<W1A;&PN<V@ E55=3]LP%'W/K[@4GM"24 :;U*E[8!53
        M)033!@]HVE0W<1*/U(YLAU(T[;?OV$GZL3(HE5HE]CGG?M_N[\53(6-3!,$^
        M?>.6;"$,647S0O%[KFDNRI)F3$B++RU4K2FS%1EA>41:*4O 5UI-V;1<$*-<
        MJ92FW$;0NW7HVG MV8P[')/*%A"ME#%B*DIA%Q%Y/5Q>7EWO$5TJ2H7FB55:
        M<$,*YD3)#=2$-"+E],>;+U1=.CNDYI+C8>%4HN#VZF;HG'+10*FUQC3L6ZY-
        MQY,<' 0)?E(PF?/4$3[[\#G=C$>D,H(6'$Z=L-/%Z7"2:UY1[^<!W@<]BKE-
        MXHH9,T_I-R6UI3 =4)B]G00BH^_4>^C1$+\'#;U'/SXX S(@XDFAZ :I(7=)
        MR MEJI:INWH0-LA$<'[]933^NK0)-YXQ^>Y?DPU[RZ1+7J%0C2[)BR=M(QOG
        M K&[="1*.RB58II$1OF<X#DM\0+<&1!,\ZQ&GR#;G,*0X HZA4!3LPKE2YO&
        M65?0W#5%8T&A)$KR-U#S[6<2+2I+,Y$7J B[XQXUUTKFA)XT0DFO@8ZP#&:%
        MC0C<L6SH"3.<?M7&DND:^IYI@0;EZ&19@[*( @HNQF>?AI/24%P;'<.YN'4P
        M.D1NT>\EA?V)@XTNMG ^_$U@T/D3IA2JIK!ACDGB'&<S>G]Z2FU=@B1=/FZR
        M_$BMLT[!PH@N8?@\!>OW^XU_;ISAZSKE&>64W^\"0]>]&-WQ,0J"@@N9[Y*)
        MJI[N8ADA[0AS57DI2PZZJF+JFO$UU /7,BM"-W![?N)\GZP&;D>YT<52#W.W
        M8Z2FP,2]"KP1X:[email-masked]>LV-2Y5PDHKL'+^HQW,[B3^,]")
        M\2/7BA)Z2_WC -MJ+KVIJ+'3 7 S ][97!X%?KGU/'!P.#C"IOSH-F6N55UM
        M2ZU?=5JKLU;,X;W6T6#0Z36;MZE\N]5=]8^656^HV+(LQ2" WJ(ZD745U/M)
        3S]KK3=?:P\!OZ+_&)?C.M@<  *E\

        end

  ... cut here ..........................................................

 6.  Q: Why cc complains about strunames, typenames, modenames, ...
        being undeclared ?
     A: This error fully explained in INSTALL file in wu-ftpd package.
        Here are few lines from there:

  ..... INSTALL ...........................................................
  .
  . If cc complains about strunames, typenames, modenames, ... being undefined
  . you need to install support/ftp.h as /usr/include/arpa/ftp.h (always make
  . a backup of the old ftp.h just in case!) and do the build again.  The new
  . ftp.h should be a compatible superset of your existing ftp.h, so you
  . shouldn't have problems with this replacement.
  .........................................................................

 7.  Q: Why ftpd says "221 Server shutting down.  Goodbye."
     A: Check ftpshut directive in in _ftpaccess_ file. This message
        usually caused by file referenced in this directive. Just delete
        the file and everything will work.

 8.  Q: Why file format conversion doesn't work for me ?
     A: There could be some reasons for this problem...

        -- check "tar" and "compress" directives in ftpaccess file; the
           lines containing these directive should include names of user
           classes to which you allow using these features.

        -- check ftpconversions file, path and locations of programs
           referenced there (gzip, compress, tar, etc..)

        -- to allow getting the whole directory by "get dir.tar.gz", make
           sure that you're using GNU tar (all the rest see in anon-ftp FAQ)

 9.  Q: Anonymous ftp works fine, but real users denied access -- WHY ???
     A: Real users' shell must be listed in /etc/shells file.

 10. Q: Why ls, dir don't work for me ? What causes error message:
        "425 Can't build data connection: Connection refused."
     A: Seems like your platform need shared libraries installed in
        ~ftp/ tree. Check shared libraries setup, files in /dev, /lib,
        /usr/lib, /etc.

        Small advice based on my own experience: if possible, use statically
        linked binaries -- you won't need to set up libraries, etc..

 11. Q: ftpd hangs.. Why ? Is there a fix/patch for this problem ?
     A: YES. Here is the patch from wu-ftpd archives;

  .... cut here ......................................................
  .
  .  To: [email-masked]
  .  Subject: hanging ftpds fix for wu-ftpd 2.4
  .  From: Casper Dik <[email-masked]>
  .  Date: Fri, 25 Nov 1994 15:00:18 +0100
  .  Reply-To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
  .
  .
  .  The following patch works around a problem with wu-ftpd.
  .  Recently we've seen an increasing number of ftpd's sticking around.
  .
  .  This scenario has become increasingly common since netscape was released
  .  and from our logs it does look like web-browser connections caused this
  .  problem.
  .
  .  After some investigation it turned out that ftpd hung in accept.
  .  (thanks to lsof and truss).
  .
  .  Problem scenario:
  .
  .          client sends "PASV"
  .          client sends "RETR file"
  .          client doesn't open a connection, instead the client aborts.
  .
  .
  .  This fix may not be portable, but works for me on Solaris 2.x and probably
  .  works on SunOS 4.1.x and BSD derivatives with fd_set typedef'ed as well.
  .  Some systes may need to include extra files.
  .
  .  The fix is a timeout on accept with select().  The timeout is set to 120
  .  seconds, but I have no idea whether that is sufficient.
  .
  .  Please include me in any replies, as I'm not on this list.
  .
  .  Casper
  .
  .  *** ftpd.c.org  Thu Apr 14 22:05:35 1994
  .  --- ftpd.c      Mon Nov 21 19:40:59 1994
  .  ***************
  .  *** 1710,1717 ****
  .  --- 1710,1731 ----
  .            int s,
  .              fromlen = sizeof(from);
  .
  .  + #ifdef FD_ZERO
  .  +       struct timeval timeout;
  .  +       fd_set set;
  .  +
  .  +       FD_ZERO(&set);
  .  +       FD_SET(pdata, &set);
  .  +
  .  +       timeout.tv_usec = 0;
  .  +       timeout.tv_sec = 120;
  .  +
  .  + if (select(pdata+1, &set, (fd_set *) 0, (fd_set *) 0, &timeout) == 0 ||
  .  +    (s = accept(pdata, (struct sockaddr *) &from, &fromlen)) < 0) {
  .  + #else
  .            s = accept(pdata, (struct sockaddr *) &from, &fromlen);
  .            if (s < 0) {
  .  + #endif
  .                reply(425, "Can't open data connection.");
  .                (void) close(pdata);
  .                pdata = -1;
  .
  .... cut here .......................................................

 12. Q: How do I make reports (especially xferlog) more readable ?
        Is it possible to generate perodical reports ?
     A: YES! There are two scripts (one of them is actually Perl script),
        written by Dave Williss <[email-masked]> which do this
        job for you. Here's short descrpition:

        The following two scripts are useful for processing the xferlog
        produced by the wuftp FTP server.

        dumpxfer -      processes the xferlog and gives more humanly readable
                        output
        processlog -    Script to run dumpxfer, email you the output and trun-
                        cate the log.

        To use these, you need Perl. If your Perl is not /usr/local/bin/perl,
        you'll have to change the first line of dumpxfer. processlog is an sh
        script.  There's some configuration to be done at the beginning of
        each script too.  Look at the scripts for details.

        These scripts are available via anonymous ftp at URL:

                ftp://tnt.microimages.com/tools/

 13. Q: Anything else ?
     A: YES! Sure, not all topics are covered in this FAQ, not all problems
        discussed.. Everybody who uses wu-ftpd, and has suggestions, additions,
        comments about this FAQ list, please, feel free add them to the file
        and re-post it to the list or directly to me.

        I'm not sure than I'll be able to maintain this FAQ list in future, so
        if there are volunters, it will be great.. :)

   ***  This FAQ list, and all scripts referenced here I put to our dept.
   ***  ftp server, at URL ftp://ftp.cs.bgu.ac.il/pub/wu-ftpd/ .

 --- Comments ------------------------------------------------------------

        The following questions seem to me "FREQUENTLY ASKED", but since
        I have no experience with them, I have no answer for them here:

          - Is wu-ftpd ported to IRIX 5.2 ? Where can I get a copy ?!
          - "425 Can't create data socket (0.0.0.0,65535): Bad file number"
            What causes this error message ?

            (heh.. something wrong with devices, more, I remember there was
             a patch for Solaris for this problem, but didn't find it in my
             archives.. :-(

 --- Credits -------------------------------------------------------------

        Thanks a lot to:

        - Judy Pellerin <[email-masked]> - for maintaining
          great searchable archive of this mailing list.

        - Christopher Klaus <[email-masked]> - for providing anonymous ftp
          FAQ list.

        - CERT Coordination Center <[email-masked]> - for providing documents
          on proper anonymous ftp setup.

        - Casper Dik <[email-masked]> - for providing patch (fix to
          ftpd hanging problem).

        - Dave Williss <[email-masked]> - for writing xferlog
          processing scripts.

        - Vidiot <[email-masked]> - for posting install.sh script & comments.

        - David Parter <[email-masked]> - for usefull comments.

 --- Me ------------------------------------------------------------------

        Who am I ? My name is Alexander L. Haiut, I am B.Sc. student at
        Dept. of Mathematics and Computer Science at Ben-Gurion University.

        I'm working as assistant system manager at departamental CS lab,
        and installed departamental WWW and anonymous-ftp servers.

        Take a look: http://www.cs.bgu.ac.il/ or ftp://ftp.cs.bgu.ac.il/.

        Any suggestions, comments are welcome. e-mail : [email-masked]

 --- End -----------------------------------------------------------------

  Alexander L. Haiut
  Dept. of Computer Science		 	
  Ben-Gurion University, Israel
 _______________________________________
  www    : http://www.cs.bgu.ac.il/~alx
  e-mail : [email-masked]
  voice  : +972-7-461658

---

From: [email-masked] (Russell Street)
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 1995 17:57:04 +1300 (NDT)

Hello...

>   Seems like I'm leaving the list,

Is there any reason why??  Was it something we've said?

>   so if anybody else wants to maintain the
>   FAQ, please do it !

If there are no others (more qualified, more able) leaping forward to
the challange I would be prepared to maintain this "in my copious
spare time(tm)".

> Feel free to correct the answers and re-post the FAQ.

It looks most superb, though I don't have a chance to look through it
in detail yet.

Russell
 -------------------------------------------------------------------
 Russell Street ([email-masked]) +64 (9) 373-7599 extn 6487
   UNIX Systems Programmer, Computer Centre, University of Auckland
	     http://www.auckland.ac.nz/cc/People/RS.html

	   It's something to do with the shortage of money
	       and the holidays in the South of France.

---

From: [email-masked] (Dave Williss)
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 1995 09:26:03 -0600 (CST)

In previous message, Alexander L. Haiut said...

> 		ftp://ftp.cs.bgu.ac.il/pub/wu-ftpd/

	[ SNIP ]

>                 ftp://tnt.microimages.com/tools/

Im glad to see you also have copies available at 
ftp://ftp.cs.bgu.ac.il/pub/wu-ftpd/ where the FAQ is.  However, the're
a little old.  The ones at MicroImages.com have been cleaned up a bit and
now have comments at the beginning listing my email address and when
it was last modified.  

There was also another script called xferstats for producing stats that 
somebody posted to the wu-ftpd list.  I don't remember who posted it
though and there's no comment telling who.  If whoever that was would
provide a copy (or better yet, a URL) to whoever takes over the FAQ,
I think it should be listed.

I have also unsubscribed to the list just to see if it can really be
done.  I just got the confermation message.  We'll see if I still
get mail from here or if my request got forwarded to the list.

-- 
David C. Williss    			    #include <standard.disclaimer>
Software Engineer -- MicroImages, Inc.		[email-masked]
WWW: http://tnt.microimages.com/~dwilliss       [email-masked]
-- PGP Public Key available via finger from: [email-masked] --