Subject: Re: Strange problem out of the blue

From: [email-masked] (Mukesh Kacker)
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 1995 19:47:01 -0800

Here is my attempt to resolve some confusion (I too was confused
initially). On SOlaris 2.3 and Solaris 2.4 (and SVR4 )installations, there
have been two very smilar error messages reported and people are
confusing one for the other often. The message

425 Can't create data socket (0.0.0.0,20): Bad file number

Other messages have suggested this is generated by an incomplete
anonymous ftp installation (lack of entries for devices ?).

There is a similar (but not the same error)...something like:

    Can't create data socket (1.2.3.4,20): Address already in use.

That is a symptom of a TCP/IP sockets bug (bugid 1164519) in Solaris 2.X which
shows up rarely at some sites (more often at others) and I had given
details in and earlier message a few weeks ago. Patches are available for
Solaris 2.3 [ 101318-68 or later ] and under test for Solaris 2.4 (available
very soon - will announce on this list).

-Mukesh kacker
 Sun MicroSystems Inc (SunSoft)

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 1995 09:54:17 +0100

rh>
rh>I had those devices, but still had the error message above.
rh>
rh>Russell
rh>

I had this problem once when I thought I could use the
/chroot-path/./cd-path trick in anonymous too. I immedeatly
got those errors, because for anonymous the wu-ftpd uses
the whole path as a chroot path. Could it be this one?

Ronald.

__
// Ronald Hello  ([email-masked])
// University of Twente
// Department of Computer Science
// The Netherlands