Subject: Problem with connecting to server

From: [email-masked] (jeff garner)
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 1995 13:57:04 -0400

I'm not sure what is happening.  I start an ftp session, I login in as
anonymous, give password, but when I go to ls the directory I receive a
Can't create data socket (0.0.0.0,20): Bad File Number.

I'm running the server on Solaris 2.3 on a Sparc 5. 

Jeff.
Jeffery P Garner            [email-masked]
                            Netscan Technology Corporation
(703) 876-9200              Fairfax, Virginia

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 1995 17:19:31 -0700 (MST)

>I'm running the server on Solaris 2.3 on a Sparc 5. 

There are a couple of reasons this could happen.  The one that just
bit me was mounting the ~ftp partition nosetuid.  It appears that this
also prevents the special device files in ~ftp/dev from being useable.
This pairing makes sense from a security perspective, but most of the
documentation doesn't indicate this behavior for nosetuid.

--
Mark Walker               UNM/EECE, 7-3688, [email-masked]

      "Trust me, I know what I'm doing."     -- Sledge Hammer