Subject: Re: Different FTP dirs by IP address

From: [email-masked] (tommy hill)
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 1995 09:46:14 +0600

Dan,

I would like to know how you accomplished this, if you don't
mind.  My customers are wanting this same situation and I was
not sure how to approach it.

Thanks,
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
Tommy J Hill                    Electronic Data Systems
Senior Systems Engineer         Multimedia Technology Services
[email-masked]              Interactive Technologies
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~

---

From: [email-masked] (tommy hill)
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 1995 09:48:40 +0600

Dan,

Disregard my previous request.  I see that you already
posted the response.  
Thanks,

---

From: Mark Thomas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 1995 13:09:49 -0500 (EST)

> > 
> > I have made changes to our Web server that allows us to
> > supportmulitple unique domains from the same physical Ethernet
> > interface. It is done by essentially binding specific configuraiton
> > files to the IP address the request came in on.
> > 
> > Our customers love this, but now I  have one that would like the same
> > capabilities out of ftp. Basically I want ftp.a.com to go to one
> > anonymous dir and ftp.b.com to go to another.
> > 
> > I know how to do this in concept by modifying the code, but if someone
> > has already done this it would save me a great deal of time.
> > 
> > Do these mods exist?
> > 
> > Thanks
> > Dan

The version 7 tcpd tcp wrappers allows for starting different daemons
based on the IP the connection was made to.  I added a couple simple
command line options to wu-ftpd to allow passing it an alternate
configuration file name for ftpaccess, and an alternate /etc/passwd
entry for the chroot() on anonymous connections.  Now tcpd uses the
"twist" option in hosts.allow to invoke wu-ftpd differently based on
the IP, by using these different command line options.

What would be really nice would be if once could improve the ftpaccess
file parsing to handle rules based on IP, either from a command line
option passed by tcpd/inetd or from directly determining the IP of the 
connection.

-Mark

-- 
Mark G. Thomas ([email-masked])

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 1995 09:40:37 -0800 (PST)

http://www.thesphere.com/~dlp/TwoServers/

>Dan,
>
> Have you located these modifications yet? If so, we'd love to
> take a crack at implementing them ourselves.
>
>Sincerely,
>Thomas Leavitt
>> 
>Web Communications (sm)            Thomas [email-masked]
>Voice: (408) 457-9671 x101         Lead Systems & Network Admin./Tech Suppt.
> 
>Web Communications Home Page <URL:http://www.webcom.com/>
>

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 1995 09:42:10 -0800 (PST)

Yipes - I was trying to get through several days mail and responded too quickly without 
realizing that the ftpd was being discussed, not httpd...

Sorry to all - Michael