Subject: [newbie] Ftpd won't let users in.

From: Nicholas McDowell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 1995 11:12:46 -0500 (EST)

My FTPd suddenly broke some months ago when I got XDM to run on my Linux 

machine.  I suspect that it might be something to do with the shadow 
passwords but I could be way off base.

When you log into the server as any user on the machine it will 
immediately kick you off without asking for a password.

530 User taylor access denied...
Login failed.
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.

However you can connect as an anonymous user, and if you log in as a user 
who does not exist you can at least get to the password prompt.

Help! And thanks.

-- 
Taylor				       "It's not the Buddha, it's the tv set."
[email-masked]					        -Spalding Grey
[email-masked]				           http://marx.paynet.com/nick

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 1995 11:42:08 -0700 (MST)

>530 User taylor access denied...
                              ^^^
This particular variation on the 530 message is only issued in one place
in the user().  It is after the check for being a disallowed user in the
_PATH_FTPUSERS file and the check for the user's shell being in /etc/shells.

Make sure your id isn't in the ftpusers file, and that your login shell
is specified in /etc/shells.  Did you change your shell about the same
time you put xdm up on your system?  Xdm usually cares about
/etc/shells too, Hmmm...

--
Mark Walker               UNM/EECE, 7-3688, [email-masked]

         "You can't get there from here..."     -- unknown

---

From: Nicholas McDowell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 1995 17:22:17 -0500 (EST)

Also sprach [email-masked].

> time you put xdm up on your system?  Xdm usually cares about

yup.  It was the shells.

Thanks for the help.  Been banging my head against this for a while.

-- 
Taylor                                   It's not the Buddha, it's the tv set.
mailto:[email-masked]						-Spalding Grey