Subject: uploading anonymously?

From: Ye He <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 1995 13:13:46 -0500 (EST)

Could anyone out there tell me how I can get uploading to the incoming
directory to work?  Is it a good idea to allow anonymous uploading? 
At least uploading by ftp users with an account should be
allowed. What is the procedure to follow?  Thanks a bunch in advance.

--
Ye He   [email-masked]

---

From: Vidiot <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 1995 15:17:23 -0600 (CST)

<
<Could anyone out there tell me how I can get uploading to the incoming
<directory to work?  Is it a good idea to allow anonymous uploading? 
<At least uploading by ftp users with an account should be
<allowed. What is the procedure to follow?  Thanks a bunch in advance.

Simple, change the permissions on the /incoming directory to:

	733 or rwx-wx-wx

That will allow anyone to write to the directory, but not read the contents.

MB
-- 
System Administrator - Extrel FTMS - Madison WI.
e-mail: [email-masked]
phone: (608) 273-8262  fax: (608) 273-8719  voice-mail: (800) 426-6488 ext 6293
Visit - http://www.ftms.com/vidiot/  (Your link to the world of Star Trek)

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 1995 16:45:16 -0700 (MST)

>That will allow anyone to write to the directory, but not read the contents.

There may also be some issues with the ftpaccess file disallowing uploads
for certain classes of users depending on how it is configured.  I haven't
looked at the example ftpaccess file, but ours has uploading disabled
almost entirely; the file ownership/protections don't even enter the
picture.  (This can lead to much confusion.  8^)

--
Mark Walker                     UNM/EECE, 7-3688, [email-masked]

           "Enough is enough, and too much is just right!"

---

From: Vidiot <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 1995 00:21:22 -0600 (CST)

<
<Vidiot writes:
<><Could anyone out there tell me how I can get uploading to the incoming
<><directory to work?  Is it a good idea to allow anonymous uploading? 
<><At least uploading by ftp users with an account should be
<><allowed. What is the procedure to follow?  Thanks a bunch in advance.
<>
<>Simple, change the permissions on the /incoming directory to:
<>
<>	733 or rwx-wx-wx
<>
<>That will allow anyone to write to the directory, but not read the contents.
<
<There may also be some issues with the ftpaccess file disallowing uploads
<for certain classes of users depending on how it is configured.  I haven't
<looked at the example ftpaccess file, but ours has uploading disabled
<almost entirely; the file ownership/protections don't even enter the
<picture.  (This can lead to much confusion.  8^)

You are right.  The default simple example does not have uploading disabled.
-- 
System Administrator - Extrel FTMS - Madison WI.
e-mail: [email-masked]
phone: (608) 273-8262  fax: (608) 273-8719  voice-mail: (800) 426-6488 ext 6293
Visit - http://www.ftms.com/vidiot/  (Your link to the world of Star Trek)