Subject: Yet another FAQ offer... (with bonus jumpstart questions!)

From: "THOOGASI.US.ORACLE.COM" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 1995 17:38:32 -0800 (PST)

Hello again, 
 
Since Patrick Salsbury (pats@visionware) has pointed out 
(pithily :-) that apparently no FAQ exists for this list, 
allow me to offer to build one for us out of the pieces 
that various people may have lying around.  (Why do I have  
a nagging feeling that I'm getting in WAY over my head?) 
 
So... send me your <answered> questions (preferably mildly 
formatted, with pertinent system information), and I shall 
endeavor to mold something useful for the community. 
 
The INSTALL instructions seem to adequately cover building 
the server "out of the box", so I am disposed to not include 
those sorts of questions in the FAQ (other than with a pointer 
those instructions), instead focusing on configuration and 
day-to-day management issues. 
 
I've a fair amount of experience with configuring a number 
of 'Net packages, but of course each one has its own pet 
foibles, so bear with me when I ask what seem to be pain- 
fully obvious questions. 
 
Since I myself am new to configuring the server, I shall 
also take this opportunity to jumpstart the FAQ process, by 
asking some of my own questions (please pardon my extensive 
laundry list).  In no particular order, here they are: 
 
1) Is the logging facility strictly built on top of "syslog"? 
   (If not, what?) 
 
2) How do I set up the logging facility?   
 
   Via inetd.conf?  (Can I use flags on the line in inetd.conf, 
   a la logging to alternate file locations?) 
    
   What I am after here, is that I do _not_ want my FTP logs 
   to go into my /var/adm/... logs, for numerous reasons.  (I 
   want to keep things separate for disk-space mgmt, as well 
   as ease-of-use reasons, among other things.) 
 
3) Are there alternate statistics-generating cuisinarts that 
   exist?  (The stock "xferstats" is fine for me, but my boss 
   isn't interested in data transfer rates, etc.  He wants to 
   know Who logged in, Where they're from, What they up/down- 
   loaded, and How Often any particular file (set of files) 
   was downloaded, primarily for tracking purposes as opposed 
   to actual "security" considerations.) 
 
4) Is it possible to restrict _anyonymous_ access to the server  
   to specific [email-masked] name identifiers, as well as 
   hostnames (a la ftphosts)?  That is, how fine is the security 
   granularity?  Can someone supply me with an example of this? 
   (Yes, I've been RTFM-ing ftpaccess(5), but it appears to be a 
   non-trivial task... <sigh>  Anybody got a "recipe"?) 
 
   What I'm driving at here is, I would like to set up 2 (or 'n') 
   classes of users that login anonymously, with one download priv- 
   ileges only, others with upload privileges (perhaps restricted 
   to specific subdirectories, if possible). 
 
5) How exactly does the password authentication system work?  Does 
   it REALLY figure out if I am actually [email-masked] (even if, 
   say, I'm logged into foo.bar.com as "mike", and su-ed to "joe"?) 
   when it authenticates me?  Am I able to lie to the server and 
   claim I'm "[email-masked]", even though I am actually 
   "[email-masked]"? 
 
   Since my boss is interested in the server (and I've talked up 
   its security facilities since it's very widely used on the  
   Internet), he's asking some very specific questions that I  
   need to have answers for. 
 
6) When will O'Reilly actually hit a target publication date? 
 
   Oh, sorry, I forgot that this isn't really the place for 
   rhetorical questions...  :-) 

Again, sorry about the lengthy laundry list.  I suspect that  
these are questions that other people have asked and answered 
previously, so if you have had occasion to answer one or more 
of the above, PLEASE write me so I can build up the FAQ in an 
expeditious manner!  (And if you've come across other things 
you think oughta be included in the FAQ, definitely send them!) 
 
Thanks very much in advance, 
 
-Tim Hoogasian

---

From: [email-masked] (David Gray)
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 1995 08:38:36 +0800

> you think oughta be included in the FAQ, definitely send them!) 

I am also interesteed in answers to this laundry list.

David Gray
[email-masked]