Subject: Re: At least log in...

From: [email-masked] (Andrea Actis)
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 1995 19:03:43 +0100

>
>I dunno what I'm overlooking, but I can't get logins to work?  Any 
>pointers on what I've forgotten to configure?  The following is my 
>nemesis:
>
>220 cozumel.picnet.com FTP server (Version wu-2.4(7) Sun Feb 26 
>13:54:15 EST 1995) ready.
>Name (ftp:mjardine): anonymous
>331 Guest login ok, send your complete e-mail address as password.
>Password:
>550 Can't set guest privileges.
>Login failed.
>Remote system type is UNIX.
>Using binary mode to transfer files.
>ftp> 

Have in Your /etc/passwd an entry for user FTP ???

If not this is the problem...

Otherwise what Operating system and version you are using ???

Is possible, you have missed to put some necessary files or shared lib in
 your ~ftp hierarchy :)

Hope to as useful

Best regards
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Andrea Actis Oreglia                               [email-masked]
                                     http://drogo.cselt.stet.it/~actis
CENTRO STUDI E LABORATORI TELECOMUNICAZIONI S.p.A.

ITALY - 10148 TORINO - Via G. Reiss Romoli, 274 - TEL. (0039) 11-2285111
TELEX 220539 CSELTI - FAX (0039) 11-2285520 GR. 3

---

From: Web Builder <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 1995 17:28:20 -0500 (EST)

Yea, I have a entry for user ftp in /etc/passwd.  I'm using BSD/OS v1.1.

I've been thinking that maybe I _am_ missing something in the ~ftp 
hierarchy, but I dunno what.  Furthermore, why would I need anything 
in the ~ftp hierarchy to allow real users to log in?

miguel.

=================================================================
	             "All for the company..."
-----------------------------------------------------------------
 o   \ o /  _ o         __|    \ /     |__        o _  \ o /   o 
/|\    |     /\   ___\o   \o    |    o/    o/__   /\     |    /|\
/ \   / \   | \  /)  |    ( \  /o\  / )    |  (\  / |   / \   / \
=================================================================