Subject: Help with guestgroup

From: Jason Fry 7159 <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 1995 16:53:00 -0800 (PST)

> In general, I want my users to have only "guest" access, and be chrooted 
> to a particular location in the filsystem.

> A few users, however, need full run of the machine. 

> I have gotten things to "work", but changes to the config files don't 
> always do what I expect. All of my users are set up to 'chroot', and it 
> works well. When I tried to go back and retrofit my few trusted users, 
> they still get 'chrooted'.

> I have set up several groups in /etc/group like so:

> ftp1000:*:30:user1,user2,user3,user4....
> ftp2000:*:30:user5,user8,user9,user10....
> ftp3000:*:30:user23,user24,user25,user26....

> (I set up multiple guest groups because of the LARGE number of users I 
> have to deal with. I currently have 10 groups with 100 users each.)

> All users have the "chrootdir/./cddir" /etc/passwd entry.

I might be reading this wrong, but if you want a user to not be chroot
you should not have "chrootdir/./cddir" in their passwd entry.

Hope this helps

Jason K. Fry
Washington State Legislative Service Center