Subject: Better build method for wu-ftpd anyone?

From: [email-masked] (Russell Street)
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 1995 22:24:46 +1300 (NDT)

Hello...  I was (re)building wu-ftpd the other day, and was once again
*()!ed off at the build/configuration process.

It took me a while to realize/remember how it wiped out src/Makefile
and other such joys.

I was going to spend a little time investigating the inner workings of
this beast. So would it be worthwhile doing a reworking of the build
process?  

(Hey its better than doing any real work :-))

Now for some random and incoherent thoughts....

I see few virtues in the present system (type ./build
three-letter-code-for-you-os).  Along time ago I tried to add 'build
irix5' and spent ages figuring out why it would not work! duh!

I am very fond of the configuration system that InterNetNews (INN
uses).  It is fairly simple minded: you alter values in a
configuration file of the form:
	key<tab>value
 e.g.,
	_PATH_CONTROL_BIN<tab>/news/lib/bin/control
 and then run a program to substitute the value of _PATH_CONTROL_BIN
in various files (.h, make, man pages, you name it.)  The substitution
is a bit ugly, but you get used to it.

Suitable sample configuration files for common platforms would be
provided.

I use this approach intensely in one of my projects --- even to the
extent of rewriting the subst program as a C++ function so I could
use it as a library call!

I don't like the GNU autoconf method very much.  Sure it is nice for
complex packages (emacs, gcc) but I don't know how to drive it and am
unkeen to learn.  Installing programs in non-standard places is
difficult (and I like my programs well off the beaten track. /etc is
sacred).

Besides which I take the view that if you are not capable of answering
a few simple questions about your OS (with suitable hints) then you are
in the wrong game.

If you are porting to a new/different/strange OS then it becomes that
much more difficult.

Similiarly, the Perl approach (./Configure ask lots of silly
questions, giving cute messages about what Larry Wall thinks about
your OS, but not letting you change question #29 without answering
them all again) wears out its welcome after a few runs through.
Besides metaconfig is even more obtuse than autoconf.

Comments and thoughts are welcome, including those that say 'find that
missing life'.

Cheers
Russell
 -------------------------------------------------------------------
 Russell Street ([email-masked]) +64 (9) 373-7599 extn 6487
   UNIX Systems Programmer, Computer Centre, University of Auckland
	     http://www.auckland.ac.nz/cc/People/RS.html

	   It's something to do with the shortage of money
	       and the holidays in the South of France.