Subject: Re: wu-ftpd on Solaris 2.4

From: George Ross <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 1995 11:54:58 +0000

> > Well I'm having the same problem with Solaris 2.4 NOT running openwin, and
> > there is nothing I can find holding port 20. Regular users are fine, it is
> > only anonymous that has this problem. My message is:
> > 
> > 425 Can't create data socket (0.0.0.0,20): No such file or directory.

You're probably missing some /dev entries.  /dev/tcp and/or /dev/ip, perhaps.

> There is one know bug in Solaris 2.4 that affects ftpd (both stock and
> wu-ftpd) operation. There is patch released for it for Solaris  2.3 but
> not yet for Solaris 2.4.

101318-68 claims to have disposed of it.  (-56 seems to have been a buggy
fix.)  I think you can get this one even if you don't have Sun support.

> The bugid is 1164519 if anyone wants to track it.
> It happens in a rare transient conditions but the effect is very bad
> on ftpd operation.
> 
> The symptom is that ftp clients will not be able to establish a new data
> connection (the existing connections will work fine).
> and the "Can't create data socket..." error is displayed.

This bug gives a different daemon response -- something like:

    Can't create data socket (129.215.160.5,20): Address already in use.

You get your server's address in the message instead of all zeros.  (This
"rare" condition seemed to be hitting us roughly every other day recently.)
--
George D M Ross, Department of Computer Science, University of Edinburgh
     Kings Buildings, Mayfield Road, Edinburgh, Scotland, EH9 3JZ
Mail: [email-masked]   Voice: +44 131 650 5147   Fax: +44 131 667 7209