Subject: tar command

From: [email-masked] (Susana Fernandez)
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 1995 15:11:44 +0100

Hello,
	I have an ftp server running and I have in ~ftp/bin the compress and tar utilities, so when users come to my server can compress or tar the files before retrieve them. Everything works fine for compress:

>get remotefile localfile.Z

 but I don't manage to make tar work. How can the user specify the directory he wants to tar? If I make

>get remoteDirectory  localfile.tar

I get this:

>550 remoteDirectory:  not a plain file.

	Thanks for any suggestion

	Best Regards

		Susana

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Susana Fernandez Vega		 	e-mail: [email-masked]
    WWW Support				phone:  +41 22 767 9158
   CERN - ECP/PT 			fax:    +41 22 767 8730
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked] (Bob Parks)
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 1995 12:25:01 -0600 (CST)

>>get remoteDirectory  localfile.tar

get remoteDirectory.tar

Nver tried get remoteDirectory.tar localfile.tar

Bob

-- 

	*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
	#   Economics Working Paper Archive is now operational    #
	#   Send a mail message (empty body)                      #
	#   To: [email-masked]                         #
	#   Subject: get announce                                 #
	#                                                         #
	#gopher econwpa.wustl.edu   http://econwpa.wustl.edu/     #
	*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
*--------------------------------------------------------------------------*
| Bob Parks                                          Voice: (314) 935-5665 |
| Department of Economics, Campus Box 1208             Fax: (314) 935-4156 |
| Washington University                                                    |
| One Brookings Drive                                                      |
| St. Louis, Missouri 63130-4899                   [email-masked]|
*--------------------------------------------------------------------------*