Subject: shadow file with solaris 2

From: [email-masked] ((U)(cc) Mourad Komiha pdata/plessis 6761 )
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 1995 16:07:27 +0100

Hi,
I'am trying to set up an ftp anonymous server on sunos 5.3, I dont know
how to tell the server to use nis database instead of the /etc/passwd file.
Are there a special configuration for solaris 2 as the encrypted passwd
is not shown in the "/etc/passwd" file ??

Best Regards

=========================================================================
======  ___                          = Mourad Komiha                    =
=====  /  /              __   __    == System Administrator            ==
====  /__/ /__/ / /   / /__/ /__   === POLYDATA-PHILIPS               ===
===  /    /  / / /_  / /     __/  ==== Email: [email-masked]  ==== 
==                               ===== tel: +33 41286761            =====
=            Polydata           ====== Fax: +33 41286899           ======
=========================================================================

---

From: [email-masked] (Dan Pritchett)
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 1995 08:05:44 -0800 (PST)

> is not shown in the "/etc/passwd" file ??
The file /etc/nsswitch.conf tells the system which name services to
use and in which order. If you want nis used first and the
/etc/passwd, then your passwd line in /etc/nsswitch.conf should be:

passwd:	     nis files

I'm not sure how this relates to the issue of shadow passwords however
in your question. If you want to add the ftp user, use the command
"useradd" which will update the passwd and shadow files appropriately.

Dan