Subject: Re: Yet another problem I've run into

From: Terry Rossi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 1995 18:50:42 -0500 (EST)

> 
> O'Reilly comes up with "You are user -1 out of 100" when you log in....
> 
> So if anyone has seen either the FTPWHO/FTPCOUNT or the "USER -1" errors, 
> please get back to me and I will summarize and get the answers out to the
> rest of the reading public... Thanks...

Hi,  I have this same problem (-1) any info you find would be appreciated.
I am running wu-ftpd on a FreeBSD 2.0R machine.

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------
Terry Rossi [email-masked]                 Data: 609/753-2540 
Sysop, Pics OnLine BBS                 telnet: bbs.pics.com
609/767-0216 Voice/Fax              WWW: http://www.pics.com

---

From: [email-masked] (SARAO)
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 1995 15:44:35 -0500

Good afternoon,

        This morning I sent down some situations that I was running into
with FTPWHO and FTPCOUNT (these are still outstanding). But I also realized
that the banner file that I put up to look similar to the one in the 
O'Reilly comes up with "You are user -1 out of 100" when you log in....

                                                        /Sarao
****************************************************************************
*    The lone wolf travels fastest...                                      *
*                                       -NN09-                             *
****************************************************************************

---

From: [email-masked] (Patrick Salsbury)
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 1995 15:43:03 -0800 (PST)

-Date: Wed, 22 Feb 1995 15:44:35 -0500
-From: [email-masked] (SARAO)
-
-        This morning I sent down some situations that I was running into
-with FTPWHO and FTPCOUNT (these are still outstanding). But I also realized
-that the banner file that I put up to look similar to the one in the 
-O'Reilly comes up with "You are user -1 out of 100" when you log in....
-
-So if anyone has seen either the FTPWHO/FTPCOUNT or the "USER -1" errors, 
-please get back to me and I will summarize and get the answers out to the
-rest of the reading public... Thanks...
-                                                        /Sarao
-
[Taken from the ftpaccess man page:]

				 (snip snip)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
     limit <class> <n> <times> <message_file>
          Limit <class> to <n> users at times <times>, displaying
          <message_file>  if  user is denied access.  Limit check
          is performed at login time only.  If  multiple  "limit"
          commands  can  apply  to the current session, the first
          applicable one is used.   Failing  to  define  a  valid
          limit,  or  a  limit of -1, is equivalent to unlimited.
          <times> is in same format as  the  times  in  the  UUCP
          L.sys file.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
	My guess is (and I've seen this on my system), if you don't have a
limit defined, it's equivalent to unlimited, so it reports back as -1. Check
your LIMIT lines in FTPACCESS. Something's slipping through...

Pat
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
	  Patrick Salsbury 	                  Visionware           
	Sys Admin/Webmaster             4500 Bohannon Dr., Suite #280  
	Voice: 415/325-2113	             Menlo Park, CA 94025      
	 FAX: 415/325-8710	      X/UNIX/PC Integration Specialists