Subject: Re: Strange problem out of the blue

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 1995 08:40:44 +0100

rh>
rh>You may notice I don't have a usr/lib or an ftp-exec.  These weren't
rh>needed to test ls (NLST) or get (RETR).  (dir (LIST) fails of course.)

No, but you DO need them to keep the socket-layers working in your
chrooted environment. No wonder you get the (0.0.0.0 ..) message.
This is exactly what happens when your chroot is setup wrong, you
miss the socket libraries. Check the Sun-ftpd manual and DO get
everything in lib they say you should.

Ronald.

__
// Ronald Hello  ([email-masked])
// University of Twente
// Department of Computer Science
// The Netherlands

---

From: [email-masked] (Mark Walker)
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 1995 01:43:30 -0700 (MST)

>everything in lib they say you should.

Well actually, my point was that ls and get *did* function just fine
on this partial setup I used on another system.  Programs external to
the ftp deamon are not required for these two commands.

I did not see the "Can't create data socket..." message at all on this
skeletal configuration.  Things like dir didn't work, but that was
as I expected.

-- 
Mark