Subject: Re: upload/umask

From: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 1995 08:24:45 -0800

Laura Schrager originally wrote:

>>When "real" (that is, non-guest and non-anonymous) users using wuftp 
>>"put" files on our system, the permissions come out 664.  Where does
>>this 664 come from?  It's not in my ftpaccess file.  How do I change
>>this to 600?  ....

Bob Vickers answered:

>This is an undocumented compile-time option. In your top-level config.h put

>#define CMASK 077

>for a safer default umask which will cause files to be created rw------- .

Easier than the compile time option is the "-u" _run_ time option in
your inetd.conf file.  To get a mask of 0600, specify "-u077" - NO
space after the "-u".

BTW, there appears to be a bug in ftpd.c concerning the parsing of
this value.  An octal value is expected, but the digits 0-9 are
allowed.  Specifying an 8 or 9 would be accepted, but would cause a
strange result in the calculation.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------
Randy Medd                           email: [email-masked]
Telamon, Inc.
492 Ninth Street, Suite 310          voice: 510-987-7700
Oakland, CA 94607                      fax: 510-987-7009
-------------------------------------------------------------