Subject: Automagic stats reporting?

From: Michael Todd Glazier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 1995 15:24:30 -0500 (EST)

Has anyone set a system to and the end of each month automagically take the 
xferlog and run stats on it and then archive it making way for the new one?

Basically, I'd like to set up an automatic monthly report.

Michael Todd Glazier ~ lovesexy@[umich.edu|lovesexy.com] 
 Sensual Architect   ~ http://www.us.itd.umich.edu/~lovesexy/
       O-+->         ~
       lovesexy \'l*v-sek-se-\ aj : The perfect union of Love & Sex

---

From: [email-masked] (Dave Williss)
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 1995 09:06:34 -0600 (CST)

In previous message, Michael Todd Glazier said...

> Basically, I'd like to set up an automatic monthly report.

I have some scripts that I wrote for this purpose.  One's in perl and is
used to create a report in a more readable format.  The other's a Bourne
shell script to run from cron.  It calls the first script and emails
the output to a list of users.

You can get them from:

	ftp://tnt.microimages.com/tools
-- 
David C. Williss    			    #include <standard.disclaimer>
Software Engineer -- MicroImages, Inc.		[email-masked]
WWW: http://tnt.microimages.com/~dwilliss       [email-masked]
-- PGP Public Key available via finger from: [email-masked] --

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 1995 11:31:10 -0500

I have set up a small script that I run out of cron that does
precisely this at 12:01 a.m. on the first of each month and mails
the digest to the appropriate management types (and myself).

This is running on a Sun Sparc 10MP/SunOS 4.3

Here it is (with names changed to protect the occasionally
innocent):

cp /var/adm/xferlog /home/(dir)/xferlog.cur

cp /dev/null /var/adm/xferlog

echo "LAST MONTH'S FTP STATISTICS" > /home/(dir)/ftpstats.cur

/usr/bin/date >> /home/(dir)/ftpstats.cur

/usr/local/bin/xferstats -f /home/(dir)/xferlog.cur >> 
      /home/(dir)/ftpstats.cur

mail (e-mail address1) (e-mail address2) < /home/woody/ftpstats.cur

Woody Smith

---

From: Vidiot <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 1995 13:00:47 -0600 (CST)

<This is running on a Sun Sparc 10MP/SunOS 4.3
<
<Woody Smith

You running a version of SunOS I don't know about?

MB
-- 
System Administrator - Extrel FTMS - Madison WI.
e-mail: [email-masked]
phone: (608) 273-8262  fax: (608) 273-8719  voice-mail: (800) 426-6488 ext 6293
Visit - http://www.ftms.com/vidiot/  (Your link to the world of Star Trek)

---

From: [email-masked] (Dave Williss)
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 1995 08:26:10 -0600 (CST)

In previous message, [email-masked] said...

> mail (e-mail address1) (e-mail address2) < /home/woody/ftpstats.cur

What does your xferstats do?  Can I get a copy?

---

From: Stephen Dorsett <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 1995 11:29:15 -0500 (EST)

In general, I want my users to have only "guest" access, and be chrooted 
to a particular location in the filsystem.

A few users, however, need full run of the machine. 

I have gotten things to "work", but changes to the config files don't 
always do what I expect. All of my users are set up to 'chroot', and it 
works well. When I tried to go back and retrofit my few trusted users, 
they still get 'chrooted'.

I have set up several groups in /etc/group like so:

ftp1000:*:30:user1,user2,user3,user4....
ftp2000:*:30:user5,user8,user9,user10....
ftp3000:*:30:user23,user24,user25,user26....

(I set up multiple guest groups because of the LARGE number of users I 
have to deal with. I currently have 10 groups with 100 users each.)

All users have the "chrootdir/./cddir" /etc/passwd entry.

My ftpaccess file says:

guestgroup ftp1000
guestgroup ftp2000
guestgroup ftp3000

My understanding is that simply adding or deleting a particular user from 
one of the "guestgroups" should toggle his treatment at login. However, 
when I take a user out of a guestgroup and ftp in as him, I still get
'chrooted'.

Can I not have multiple guestgroups ? What am I missing ? Is there some other
parameter in ftpaccess that overrides/modifies the guestgroup treatment ?

========================================================================
Stephen Dorsett                            [email-masked]  
Wide Area Network Manager, GIEx Corp.      1-800-514-5NET   
========================================================================

---

From: Ralph Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 1995 09:22:07 -0800 (PST)

> ftp3000:*:30:user23,user24,user25,user26....

	Seeing as I really don't have a clue on what you are talking 
about, I was wondering if somebody could point this greenhorn in the right 
direction for gettings some basic info.  I help manage a small network of 
6 UNIX boxes for an open access lab that deals mostly with PCs.  I'm 
interested in starting up an anonymous ftp server, but I really don't 
know where to start.  If anyone could show me a simple "how to do 
anonymous ftp FAQ" I would be extremely greatful

____________________________   ____________________________________________
Ralph Lewis		    \ /	I'm a 21st Century digital boy
WSU Information Technology  -O-	I don't know how to read, but I got a lot 
[email-masked]	    / \	  toys. 	-Bad Religion

---

From: Marty Hoff <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 1995 11:33:10 -0600 (CST)

I think what you want to do is have the "trusted" users be part of a
non-guestgroup, but still have their shell as /bin/true or /bin/false or
something like that.  This will prevent them from logging in or doing
anything other than just ftp. I think if they are a member of the
guestgroup that they will always be chrooted.

Marty Hoff

---

From: [email-masked] (Patrick Salsbury)
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 1995 10:28:34 -0800 (PST)

-	Seeing as I really don't have a clue on what you are talking 
-about, I was wondering if somebody could point this greenhorn in the right 
-direction for gettings some basic info.  I help manage a small network of 
-6 UNIX boxes for an open access lab that deals mostly with PCs.  I'm 
-interested in starting up an anonymous ftp server, but I really don't 
-know where to start.  If anyone could show me a simple "how to do 
-anonymous ftp FAQ" I would be extremely greatful
-
-
-____________________________   ____________________________________________
-Ralph Lewis		    \ /	I'm a 21st Century digital boy
-WSU Information Technology  -O-	I don't know how to read, but I got a lot 
[email-masked]	    / \	  toys. 	-Bad Religion
-
-
	Again, I'd recommend O'Reilly's "Managing Internet Information
Services" which just came out in Dec. It's got lots of good info in a readable
format. Takes you from "what is it?" to "how do I do it?" in a logical
progression. 

Pat
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
	  Patrick Salsbury 	                  Visionware           
	Sys Admin/Webmaster             4500 Bohannon Dr., Suite #280  
	Voice: 415/325-2113	             Menlo Park, CA 94025      
	 FAX: 415/325-8710	      X/UNIX/PC Integration Specialists

---

From: [email-masked] (Terry McGonigal)
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 1995 16:01:30 -0500

Hi Folks...

In light of what seems like many questions about guest access and the like,
I've got a short (~3900 char) "How-To" on creating "guest" accounts that
I've put together for use here at Gallium (so I don't have to do all
the account managment on the ftp server myself!).  I'd be only to happy
to make this available (via the list, direct email or ftp.gallium.com)
if there's any interest (I don't want to clutter the list with info that
turns out to be a big repeat for most).

Cheers,
-- 
Terry McGonigal    Gallium Software       {tmcgonigal,[email-masked]
                   303 Moodie Dr, #1400             [email-masked]
                   Nepean On, Can    Ph. +1 613 721 0902  Fax +1 613 721 1278
PGP Fingerprint    48 90 45 9D C0 66 CD BD C3 A2 9E BE D0 CA BD D0

---

From: [email-masked] (Dan Pritchett)
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 1995 16:13:19 -0800 (PST)

I have made changes to our Web server that allows us to
supportmulitple unique domains from the same physical Ethernet
interface. It is done by essentially binding specific configuraiton
files to the IP address the request came in on.

Our customers love this, but now I  have one that would like the same
capabilities out of ftp. Basically I want ftp.a.com to go to one
anonymous dir and ftp.b.com to go to another.

I know how to do this in concept by modifying the code, but if someone
has already done this it would save me a great deal of time.

Do these mods exist?

Thanks
Dan

---

From: Max Maklin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 1995 21:50:28 -0500

Me please, I am one of those polluting the net with queries.

Max

-- 
Max Maklin                                                P.O. Box 9707 
Sr. Technical Analyst	                           3755 Riverside Drive
Cognos Incorporated                              Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
Internet: [email-masked]                 UUNet: [email-masked]

---

From: Vidiot <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 1995 11:10:30 -0600 (CST)

<In light of what seems like many questions about guest access and the like,
<I've got a short (~3900 char) "How-To" on creating "guest" accounts that
<I've put together for use here at Gallium (so I don't have to do all
<the account managment on the ftp server myself!).  I'd be only to happy
<to make this available (via the list, direct email or ftp.gallium.com)
<if there's any interest (I don't want to clutter the list with info that
<turns out to be a big repeat for most).
<
<Terry McGonigal    Gallium Software       {tmcgonigal,[email-masked]

I think anonftp would be just fine.

MB

---

From: Ralph Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 1995 13:53:04 -0800 (PST)

I just wanted to say thanxs to everyone who responded to my "A 
little Green..." message.  I was more likely expecting flames than any 
responce.  Thanx to everyone I'm now going to go buy that O'Reiley book 
and a ton of FAQs on just about every aspect of FTP.  I'm still have some 
trouble compiling, but after I get the book and devour that I'll send 
another note, bet you guys can't wait... :)   

Thanx again....

---

From: Thomas Leavitt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 1995 14:10:46 -0800 (PST)

Dan,

 Have you located these modifications yet? If so, we'd love to
 take a crack at implementing them ourselves.

Sincerely,
Thomas Leavitt

--
Web Communications (sm)            Thomas [email-masked]
Voice: (408) 457-9671 x101         Lead Systems & Network Admin./Tech Suppt.
 
Web Communications Home Page <URL:http://www.webcom.com/>

---

From: [email-masked] (Dan Pritchett)
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 1995 15:31:09 -0800 (PST)

>  take a crack at implementing them ourselves.
The changes I made took a different tactic than I had originally
conceived. I simply modified the ftpd to put up different messages
depending on which IP address the requested arrived on. My changes are
not really generic enough to push back to WU as I do injustice to the
syntax of the message line in the config file to make it work. I'm
willing to live with this for myself but I doubt most would consider
it acceptable.

Dan

---

From: Ye He <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 1995 20:11:43 -0500 (EST)

>willing to live with this for myself but I doubt most would consider

Dear Dan,
If you have hacked your httpd (which one are you using?) could I
have a copy of your code, please? Also it would be good if I can
get a copy of your hacked ftpd code, preferably with some docs.
Thanks a million.  

+---------------------------------------------------------------------+
|Ye He, Swarthmore College    | [email-masked] (NeXTmail OK) |
|(610)690-3825/328-8594       | http://www.engin.swarthmore.edu/~he   |
+---------------------------------------------------------------------+