Subject: Re: A little green...

From: "Mike Stemmler, EMJ Open Systems Group Technician" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 1995 07:51:05 -0500

>-	Seeing as I really don't have a clue on what you are talking 
>-about, I was wondering if somebody could point this greenhorn in the right 
>-direction for gettings some basic info.  I help manage a small network of 
>-6 UNIX boxes for an open access lab that deals mostly with PCs.  I'm 
>-interested in starting up an anonymous ftp server, but I really don't 
>-know where to start.  If anyone could show me a simple "how to do 
>-anonymous ftp FAQ" I would be extremely greatful
>-
>-
>-____________________________   ____________________________________________
>-Ralph Lewis		    \ /	I'm a 21st Century digital boy
>-WSU Information Technology  -O-	I don't know how to read, but I got a lot 
>[email-masked]	    / \	  toys. 	-Bad Religion
>-
>-
>	Again, I'd recommend O'Reilly's "Managing Internet Information
>Services" which just came out in Dec. It's got lots of good info in a readable
>format. Takes you from "what is it?" to "how do I do it?" in a logical
>progression. 
>
>Pat
>-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>	  Patrick Salsbury 	                  Visionware           
>	Sys Admin/Webmaster             4500 Bohannon Dr., Suite #280  
>	Voice: 415/325-2113	             Menlo Park, CA 94025      
>	 FAX: 415/325-8710	      X/UNIX/PC Integration Specialists
>

You should get "Managing Internet Information Services".  I picked up this
book as well, and it covers all of the main services that you may want to
add to your server including ftp, gopher, wais, www, list/mail servers, etc.

Here is the blurb from O'Reiley And Associates on this book.  If you like
it, give them a call and order a copy.  It is definitely worth the roughly
$30 for the book for what is in it.

Mike Stemmler
Guelph, Ontario, Canada

          Managing Internet Information Services
  By Cricket Liu, Jerry Peek, Russ Jones, Bryan Buus & Adrian Nye
        600 pages (est.) ISBN 1-56592-062-7, $29.95

     O'Reilly has just released "Managing Internet Information
Services:  World Wide Web, Gopher, FTP, and More," the first book
to provide a thorough description of how to create services for the
millions of Internet users. This definitive book discusses why a
company or individual would want to offer Internet services, how to
select which ones to provide, and in-depth instructions for creating,
maintaining, and integrating them.
     The book includes coverage of Internet servers for World Wide Web,
Gopher, FTP, Finger, Telnet, WAIS (Wide Area Information Services), and
email services. By using this book as a guide, anyone with a suitable
computer and Internet connection can become an Internet Publisher.
Services on the Internet allow instant distribution and frequent
updates of any kind of information. Companies can provide services to
their customers (catalogs, support, news, email communication, and
detailed product information) and employees (information distribution
to one site or many).
     Managing Internet Information Services is an invaluable reference
for the UNIX system administrator who will build, run, and maintain the
service software itself. In addition, parts of the book are designed
for the Data Librarian, the person responsible for creating or
arranging the information that the service presents.  The book helps
you divide up the job of running a service.
     The book describes how to run services and still maintain
security of your Internet-connected machines, and how to run
services when you or the users of your service have firewall
computers protecting internal networks from the Internet.
     For a taste of the book, check out Russ Jones' article
"Clickable Image Maps" in O'Reilly's gopher or our Resource Center on
the Global Network Navigator. Access our online gopher catalog via
"telnet gopher.ora.com" (log in as "gopher"--no password needed).
The Resource Center is at http://gnn.com.ora/

---------------------------------------------------------------
This and other O'Reilly products are available in the Americas
and Japan through bookstores, or directly from the publisher
(credit card orders 800-889-8969; email [email-masked]).

For information: telephone 707-829-0515 (800-998-9938 in US &
Canada); FAX 707-829-0104; email [email-masked]; or write O'Reilly &
Associates, 103A Morris St., Sebastopol, CA, 95472, USA.
GSA # GS-02F-6095A.

Access our online gopher catalog via "telnet gopher.ora.com" (log in as
"gopher"--no password needed). Our Resource Center on the Web is at
http://gnn.com.ora/

Our international distributors:
  * EUROPE (except German-speaking countries), MIDDLE EAST, AFRICA
International Thomson Publishing, Berkshire House, 168-173 High
Holborn, London WC1V 7AA, UK.  Telephone 44-71-497-1422;
FAX 44-71-497-1426
  * GERMAN-SPEAKING COUNTRIES.  International Thomson Publishing,
Konigswinterer Strasse 418, 53227 Bonn, Germany. Telephone 49-228-97024-0;
FAX 49-228-441342; or email [email-masked]
  * ASIA. International Thomson Publishing, 221 Henderson Rd.,
#05-10 Henderson Building, Singapore 0315. Telephone 65-272-6496;
FAX 65-272-6498
  * AUSTRALIA AND NEW ZEALAND.  WoodsLane, Unit 8, 101 Darley Street,
Mona Vale, NSW 2103, Australia. Telephone 61-2-979-5944;
FAX 61-2-997-3348; or email [email-masked]

-- 
Sara Winge    [email-masked]
O'Reilly & Associates
103A Morris St.
Sebastopol, CA 95472
707/829-0515 Fax 707/829-0104

---

From: Alexander Haiut <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 1995 08:50:31 +0200 (GMT+0200)

>   Seeing as I really don't have a clue on what you are talking about,
> I was wondering if somebody could point this greenhorn in the right 
> direction for gettings some basic info.I help manage a small network of 
> 6 UNIX boxes for an open access lab that deals mostly with PCs.  I'm 
> interested in starting up an anonymous ftp server, but I really don't 
> know where to start.  If anyone could show me a simple "how to do 
> anonymous ftp FAQ" I would be extremely greatful

	ftp://ftp.cs.bgu.ac.il/pub/faq/anonymous-ftp.FAQ

		Thanks!			--alex.

  Alexander L. Haiut
  Dept. of Computer Science		 	
  Ben-Gurion University, Israel
 _______________________________________
  www    : http://www.cs.bgu.ac.il/~alx
  e-mail : [email-masked]           
  voice  : +972-7-461658