Subject: Re: upload/umask

From: Bob Vickers <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 1995 10:26:43 +0000 (GMT)

A couple of people have mentioned the red herring of whether the umask is 077
or 177. For ftp, both will have the same effect because ftpd doesn't attempt
to set execute permission, but 077 is a much more natural setting to use. You
might very well set umask to 077 in /etc/profile, I can't imagine anyone
setting it to 177.

>If so, it still doesn't work.  Whatever the permissions are before the file
>is brought over remains the same when the file it put on the system.

I don't quite understand this statement. If Laura means an existing file is
overwritten then this is to be expected; ftpd leaves the existing permissions
alone. If she means the permissions are copied from the remote system then I
guess it depends on which client is being used.

Regards,
Bob
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
+ Bob Vickers,	University of London Computer Centre
+ E-mail:	[email-masked]
+ Phone:	+44 171-405 8400 ext 386	(in UK: 0171-405 8400 ext 386)
+ WWW:		http://www.ulcc.ac.uk/staff/Bob+Vickers